Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100402)

nero THE zero 05-30-2013 04:25 PM

Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:

(Rotoworld)The Texans and RE Antonio Smith have mutual interest in a contract extension.
From Rotoworld:
Quote:

Smith, entering his age-32 season, has one year left on his deal, and he currently counts $9.5 million against the cap. Smith hasn't missed a game in seven seasons. He and LE J.J. Watt make up one of the best end tandems in the league. The Texans are right up against the cap, so a camp extension could knock his number down and give the team some breathing room.
And Tania Ganguli

PapaL 05-30-2013 04:38 PM

This is news? Oh oh oh offseason. Right. My bad.

mussop 05-30-2013 06:16 PM

Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

The Texans are right up against the cap, so a camp extension could knock his number down and give the team some breathing room.

YES! Sign a real NT with that money. :peek:

Lucky 05-30-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 2169330)

YES! Sign a real NT with that money. :peek:

A legit RT would be a better investment, I think. Why didn't this extension happen earlier in the offseason?

ArlingtonTexan 05-30-2013 06:45 PM

Not sure I am fan of this, outside of clearing short term cap space. The Antonio smiths of the world are the type of nice to pretty good players that a team should not want on its cap later in their career.

CretorFrigg 05-30-2013 10:03 PM

Isn't that what they told Mario Williams? They were "interested" in resigning him?

bckey 05-30-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CretorFrigg (Post 2169394)
Isn't that what they told Mario Williams? They were "interested" in resigning him?

Yeah but $100 million changed that real quick. And realistically the Texans knew they probably wouldn't be able to afford him and knew he wasn't worth near what the Bills were offering. Antonio shouldn't cost too much to extend. If for some reason he wants a big payday for what will most likely be his last contract then the Texans will let him walk.

Corrosion 05-30-2013 10:49 PM

#capspace :specnatz:

Brisco_County 05-31-2013 01:29 AM

If you consider Rick Smith's 20/70/10 philosophy, the question is if Antonio fits into Rick's top ten, or group A. If not, then he will be offered considerably less than his current contract.

badboy 05-31-2013 08:24 AM

IMO no reason to do this UNLESS they have a FA target. They are under cap now by a bit so no urgency otherwise. June 1st cut maybe?

DocBar 05-31-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2169427)
IMO no reason to do this UNLESS they have a FA target. They are under cap now by a bit so no urgency otherwise. June 1st cut maybe?

Getting Cushing signed to a contract extension using the $$ freed up by extending Smith is the best reason I see, but only if the numbers work out over the long term.

Signing Cush now could save the team tons of cash next year or the possibility of losing him to FA. There are lots of unknowns with Cush coming off of the ACL injury, but it seems reasonable to assume he will return to form rather than suffer a drop off in performance. Nobody will ever out try Cush. They might match him, but they won't out do him.:d:

badboy 05-31-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2169475)
Getting Cushing signed to a contract extension using the $$ freed up by extending Smith is the best reason I see, but only if the numbers work out over the long term.

Signing Cush now could save the team tons of cash next year or the possibility of losing him to FA. There are lots of unknowns with Cush coming off of the ACL injury, but it seems reasonable to assume he will return to form rather than suffer a drop off in performance. Nobody will ever out try Cush. They might match him, but they won't out do him.:d:

Why extend Smith for Cushng if the $9.5 cap hit from Smith leaves with Smith after this season? Now if they want Smith for longer than this season at lower price, cool but different issue. If afraid of losing Cush we can redo Smith anytime. I am hoping they have another target and it should be substantial.

IBleedTexans 05-31-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2169498)
Why extend Smith for Cushng if the $9.5 cap hit from Smith leaves with Smith after this season? Now if they want Smith for longer than this season at lower price, cool but different issue. If afraid of losing Cush we can redo Smith anytime. I am hoping they have another target and it should be substantial.

If he's telling the Texans he wants to retire a Texan , then surely he is willing to play for a hometown discount right ? He just lost all his leverage if not ...

Like 610 was saying this morning , he has seen that the Nfl is no longer giving big contracts to older FA ie. Freeny and the guy formally of tha Falcons

Ps I did call u Sherly lol

Double Barrel 05-31-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Smith hasn't missed a game in seven seasons. He and LE J.J. Watt make up one of the best end tandems in the league.
Is this true?

My perception here, as I thought Smith under-achieved last season when J.J. was getting so much attention from opposing offenses. Smith should have had a greater impact as a result. JMO

thunderkyss 05-31-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2169503)
Is this true?

My perception here, as I thought Smith under-achieved last season when J.J. was getting so much attention from opposing offenses. Smith should have had a greater impact as a result. JMO

No. Smith has been great the last two years. Consider he's a DT, not a DE. He had great numbers for a DT or your traditional 3-4 DE, which he plays.

Those numbers from a true DE, a 4-3 DE, or the way JjWatt plays his position, wouldn't be anything to write home about. But as an interior player, which Smith is, Watt is not (except on passing downs) Smith had a very solid season. He's basically playing Warren Sapp's position.

The Pencil Neck 05-31-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Is this true?

Antonio Smith is a beast and he has been playing great football. From a comparison standpoint, he looks like a slacker compared to JJ but... EVERYONE looks like a slacker compared to JJ. For his position, Smith has been putting up great numbers.

He's a great player and I don't want to lose him anytime soon.

Double Barrel 05-31-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2169508)
No. Smith has been great the last two years. Consider he's a DT, not a DE. He had great numbers for a DT or your traditional 3-4 DE, which he plays.

Those numbers from a true DE, a 4-3 DE, or the way JjWatt plays his position, wouldn't be anything to write home about. But as an interior player, which Smith is, Watt is not (except on passing downs) Smith had a very solid season. He's basically playing Warren Sapp's position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2169512)
Antonio Smith is a beast and he has been playing great football. From a comparison standpoint, he looks like a slacker compared to JJ but... EVERYONE looks like a slacker compared to JJ. For his position, Smith has been putting up great numbers.

He's a great player and I don't want to lose him anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong, I like Antonio Smith and hope the Texans keep him, as well.

I guess I was just kinda' surprised to see them described as "best end tandems in the league". But then again, just about anyone with J.J. Watt would be in the running since J.J. is such a phenom.

I guess my perception is that Antonio should have been even more of an impact with J.J. taking up so much attention on the other side. There were times last season when opposing QBs looked like they were getting too much time in the pocket. And with J.J. getting double, and even triple teamed, there should have been more consistent pressure on the pocket.

HOU-TEX 05-31-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Is this true?

Possibly. Or, and to be honest I haven't cued in on this, they concentrated on both Smith and Watt? More proof showing how poor out OLB play was by not winning one on ones. I know for a fact ( just me re-watching games) that Barwin couldn't win one on ones to save his life. When your OLBs stink like that, opposing Olines would roll protection to our two big boys inside.

Just a thought

Texn4life 05-31-2013 01:28 PM

I also think Antonio was playing hurt much of last year. He had that ankle injury week 1, and then his play kind of suffered for a while.

I'd like to see something worked out, but for a reasonable amount and length. Its no need to really clear up a ton of space this year since we really aren't going to adding any big names. There aren't any left.

thunderkyss 05-31-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2169517)
And with J.J. getting double, and even triple teamed, there should have been more consistent pressure on the pocket.

Truth is that both Jj & Antonio were getting double teamed on just about every snap & that's what made the lack of an outside rush unacceptable.