Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Early 2014 Mock Drafts (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100397)

rmartin65 05-30-2013 07:27 AM

Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
I figure most of you mockers have been thinking about the 2014 draft (as I have), so here is a thread for everyone to put their early 2014 mocks. I guess we could put them in separate threads, but these early mocks almost never lead to a ton of discussion, as they are more players to watch/identifying potential needs of the team, and thus it seems like a better idea to just throw them all in together.

I am working on a mock that I hope to have done today or tomorrow, but I am curious to see how it stacks up against your mocks!

Oh, one last thing (and I can't believe that I have to say this so often)- ***If you are not interested in the thread topic, then please don't participate. We know it is really freaking early and that boards will change dramatically. We know that we are not experts. We know that we we say here has absolutely zero impact on what the Texans will do. But let us have our fun. Don't be a d-bag.*** Thanks.

badboy 05-30-2013 11:04 AM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
1. QB David Fales San Jose St
2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
3. OLB Chaz Sutton S. Carolina (the other Clowney?)
4. DE/DT Taylor Hart Oregon
5. S Jacques Washington

Imagine after watching other teams such as Texas and Alabama this will change.

76Texan 05-30-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2169121)
I figure most of you mockers have been thinking about the 2014 draft (as I have), so here is a thread for everyone to put their early 2014 mocks. I guess we could put them in separate threads, but these early mocks almost never lead to a ton of discussion, as they are more players to watch/identifying potential needs of the team, and thus it seems like a better idea to just throw them all in together.

I am working on a mock that I hope to have done today or tomorrow, but I am curious to see how it stacks up against your mocks!

Oh, one last thing (and I can't believe that I have to say this so often)- ***If you are not interested in the thread topic, then please don't participate. We know it is really freaking early and that boards will change dramatically. We know that we are not experts. We know that we we say here has absolutely zero impact on what the Texans will do. But let us have our fun. Don't be a d-bag.*** Thanks.

You don't have to worry.
I don't recall ever seeing TB in this part of the wood. :texanbill:

rmartin65 05-30-2013 12:47 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2169197)
1. QB David Fales San Jose St
2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
3. OLB Chaz Sutton S. Carolina (the other Clowney?)
4. DE/DT Taylor Hart Oregon
5. S Jacques Washington

Imagine after watching other teams such as Texas and Alabama this will change.

You like Fales in the first? I have him in the second right now, but agree that he could rise with another good season.

Huge fan of Jackson.

Sutton... I dont know a lot about him. I will make a note to keep an eye on him.

I like Hart as well, but only as a DE. I dont think he would be as effective playing NT. Definitely a player to watch.

I know nothing about Washington, but do we really need another safety?

Wolf6151 05-30-2013 04:58 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
@rmartin65, I'm glad you started this thread. I've been thinking the same thing since the draft. Thanks.

1. Loucheiz Purifoy-CB Florida, fills a need since JJo will get very expensive very soon and we only have him for 2 more years.
2. C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE Iowa, I'm thinking OD might be gone after next season.
3. Kelcey Quarles-DE S. Carolina, could easily go higher than the 3rd and Antonio Smith is a FA after next season.
4. Bruce Gaston-DT, Mitchell is a FA after next season as well and we don't have much of anything behind him.

I see positional needs at CB, TE, DE, DT, WR, and S.

badboy 05-31-2013 11:49 AM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2169237)
You like Fales in the first? I have him in the second right now, but agree that he could rise with another good season.

Huge fan of Jackson.

Sutton... I dont know a lot about him. I will make a note to keep an eye on him.

I like Hart as well, but only as a DE. I dont think he would be as effective playing NT. Definitely a player to watch.

I know nothing about Washington, but do we really need another safety?

Actually have Fales rated top third but if he has a 2103 similar to 2011 he will be a bullet. Rob Rang has him going #23 Derek Carr # 29http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/big-board


Yeah buddy we need another safety for 2014. Grr! to replace Reed and draft pick in '14 to train one season behind Manning to replace him in 2015.

Edit: just noticed your mention of Hart. Agree with DE, to replace Smith if roster guys cannot. I do not see him as a NT either.

badboy 05-31-2013 11:56 AM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2169319)
@rmartin65, I'm glad you started this thread. I've been thinking the same thing since the draft. Thanks.

1. Loucheiz Purifoy-CB Florida, fills a need since JJo will get very expensive very soon and we only have him for 2 more years.
2. C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE Iowa, I'm thinking OD might be gone after next season.
3. Kelcey Quarles-DE S. Carolina, could easily go higher than the 3rd and Antonio Smith is a FA after next season.
4. Bruce Gaston-DT, Mitchell is a FA after next season as well and we don't have much of anything behind him.

I see positional needs at CB, TE, DE, DT, WR, and S.

All reports from OTAs that Carmichael and Harris looking good and should be their break out season. Hopefully the only CB we would draft would be to switch to safety. Big fan of Fiedo and 3 Amigos chewed him up and spit him out leaving no stone unturned during our mock discussions. More of a OL type you can put next to the OT to supersize than an OD type. If we go TE and we definitely might, I see an OD type that is more of a big WR that can block.

rmartin65 05-31-2013 12:58 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2169319)
@rmartin65, I'm glad you started this thread. I've been thinking the same thing since the draft. Thanks.

1. Loucheiz Purifoy-CB Florida, fills a need since JJo will get very expensive very soon and we only have him for 2 more years.
2. C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE Iowa, I'm thinking OD might be gone after next season.
3. Kelcey Quarles-DE S. Carolina, could easily go higher than the 3rd and Antonio Smith is a FA after next season.
4. Bruce Gaston-DT, Mitchell is a FA after next season as well and we don't have much of anything behind him.

I see positional needs at CB, TE, DE, DT, WR, and S.

1) Like BB, I don't think CB is a need. Maybe things will change, but I have confidence in JJo and KJax, with Harris, Carmichael and McCain backing them up. I dont have a problem looking for a home run later in the draft, but I dont think spending a first is a good idea.

2) Love CJ! Excellent choice, IMO.

3&4) I dont know much about these guys, but I like upgrading the DL. I think NT is a must draft, as I dont think Mitchell will show us that he is a starting-caliber player. I might pick up the DE a little later though, as we do have Crick waiting in the wings, and Smith might be signed to a new deal soon.

Wolf6151 05-31-2013 05:02 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2169516)
1) Like BB, I don't think CB is a need. Maybe things will change, but I have confidence in JJo and KJax, with Harris, Carmichael and McCain backing them up. I dont have a problem looking for a home run later in the draft, but I dont think spending a first is a good idea.

2) Love CJ! Excellent choice, IMO.

3&4) I dont know much about these guys, but I like upgrading the DL. I think NT is a must draft, as I dont think Mitchell will show us that he is a starting-caliber player. I might pick up the DE a little later though, as we do have Crick waiting in the wings, and Smith might be signed to a new deal soon.



I disagree on the need at CB, but that's what this forum is all about. JJo is already the 2nd highest paid player in 2013 and only gets more expensive each year. His 2013 cap hit is 11.25 mil., and with Cushing a FA at the end of this season, a possible extension to Antonio, Earl Mitchell will also be a FA, and the team has to be thinking about and structuring the team for Watts next contract. Also I don't trust Kubiaks praise for players this time of year, we all know he pumps alot of sunshine this time of year.

If Antonio Smith does get extended then it would obviously affect our need at DE, but again a rookie is alot cheaper than a veteran and theirs a monster contract looming on the horizon (Watt) that this team has to start preparing for. I see our biggest needs in next years draft as being DE, CB, DT, WR depth, ILB depth, and S depth. I think next years draft will be very heavy on defense.

@BB, I like Andrew Jackson-ILB the player but I don't think he fits our 3-4 scheme. He looks to me like a 4-3 MLB stuffing the run, not a 3-4 ILB that quite often drops into pass coverage of TE's and RB's. Also with the NFL becoming more and more of a passing league each year, I think that old fashioned run stuffing ILB/MLB is becoming a thing of the past. The game is a changing.

infantrycak 05-31-2013 05:24 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2169573)
I disagree on the need at CB, but that's what this forum is all about. JJo is already the 2nd highest paid player in 2013 and only gets more expensive each year. His 2013 cap hit is 11.25 mil., and with Cushing a FA at the end of this season, a possible extension to Antonio, Earl Mitchell will also be a FA, and the team has to be thinking about and structuring the team for Watts next contract.

J.Jo's contract is about as flat as you get in the NFL. His cap hit is $11.25 for both 2013 & 2014 and then bumps marginally to $12.25 for 2015.

Wolf6151 05-31-2013 08:44 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2169575)
J.Jo's contract is about as flat as you get in the NFL. His cap hit is $11.25 for both 2013 & 2014 and then bumps marginally to $12.25 for 2015.

Yah, and that's alot of money considering Brown's new contract and Schaub's new contract will be kicking in this season as well and adding the new FA's (Cushing, A. Smith, and Mitchell). I just don't think an extension for A. Smith is a given, or JJo completeing his entire contract since the Texans will have to be finding money and preparing for the future. Also the CB in the 1st round is more about stocking up for the future, drafting them a year or so before they're needed and turning our secondary into a team strength with depth situation. For now I stand by my pick of a CB in the 1st, though I could also see a DE in the 1st next year as well if a team friendly contract extension can't be made with Antonio Smith.

aussie_texan 05-31-2013 10:25 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
what are your guys thoughts on A.Murray Georgia. Im quite the fan i think going back to school for this season was a great choice, hopefully he learns a lot and can improve his decision making.

Also the QB out of UNC could become a real riser this season any thoughts??

also adding onto the theme of ILB jackson. i would be ecstatic if we were to draft him, i would have taken him this year in the early to mid rounds but he could rise to become a 1st rounder

76Texan 06-01-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Renner?
He's not going to rise;
Everybody will just fall for him.

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2013/5/3/...on-bryn-renner

aussie_texan 06-01-2013 09:03 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2169676)
Renner?
He's not going to rise;
Everybody will just fall for him.

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2013/5/3/...on-bryn-renner

ahahaha i enjoyed that a lot

AngryNateFTW 06-01-2013 09:30 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2169636)
what are your guys thoughts on A.Murray Georgia. Im quite the fan i think going back to school for this season was a great choice, hopefully he learns a lot and can improve his decision making.

Also the QB out of UNC could become a real riser this season any thoughts??

also adding onto the theme of ILB jackson. i would be ecstatic if we were to draft him, i would have taken him this year in the early to mid rounds but he could rise to become a 1st rounder

I'd take Aaron Murray any day of the week.

Texan4Ever 06-03-2013 01:58 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
In no particular order, here's a list of guys I will be watching this upcoming season and my take on them:

1.) Jadeveon Clowney (DE): After watching him in the Bowl Game against Michigan (tough loss BTW), I finally understood the hype behind this guy. He has the speed and quickness off the edge a la Jason Taylor but is strong enough to go against almost an OT in the NCAA. Definitely a 1st round, Top 5 pick barring any injuries or drop in performance.

2.) Taylor Lewan (OT): He's a big, powerful OT that can absolutely dominate in the run game. Contrary to what people may say, he held his own against Clowney ad gave him a tough time (as for "The Play", it was not his blocking assignment).

3.) Jake Matthews (OT): A better pass-rush blocker than Lewan, he's an opening day starting left tackle IMO. Has strong bloodlines and is probably better than any of the tackles taken in the 2013 Draft.

4.) Marqise Lee (WR): His play on-the-field made Robert Woods take the back seat as he dominated as a Freshman and in subsequent seasons. A true #1 receiver who can stretch the field and make plays in the clutch.

5.) Louis Nix (DT): A big defensive linemen who will most likely play nose tackle given his size (6'3" 340-lbs). I expect some teams may reach for him, especially for those running a 3-4 system. Not a first round pick but may creep in there.


*****On The Bubble*****

Will Sutton (DT): Most likely a 4-3 UT, he's a guy that should be a first-round pick but may fall into the 2nd round. Just go over to YouTube and watch him play...he demands respect from opposing offensive linemen and has an amazing ability to get in the backfield and cause chaos. I look forward to seeing him play given that ASU will require more out of him this upcoming season.

htownfan32 06-07-2013 03:32 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan4Ever (Post 2170133)
In no particular order, here's a list of guys I will be watching this upcoming season and my take on them:

1.) Jadeveon Clowney (DE): After watching him in the Bowl Game against Michigan (tough loss BTW), I finally understood the hype behind this guy. He has the speed and quickness off the edge a la Jason Taylor but is strong enough to go against almost an OT in the NCAA. Definitely a 1st round, Top 5 pick barring any injuries or drop in performance.

2.) Taylor Lewan (OT): He's a big, powerful OT that can absolutely dominate in the run game. Contrary to what people may say, he held his own against Clowney ad gave him a tough time (as for "The Play", it was not his blocking assignment).

3.) Jake Matthews (OT): A better pass-rush blocker than Lewan, he's an opening day starting left tackle IMO. Has strong bloodlines and is probably better than any of the tackles taken in the 2013 Draft.

4.) Marqise Lee (WR): His play on-the-field made Robert Woods take the back seat as he dominated as a Freshman and in subsequent seasons. A true #1 receiver who can stretch the field and make plays in the clutch.

5.) Louis Nix (DT): A big defensive linemen who will most likely play nose tackle given his size (6'3" 340-lbs). I expect some teams may reach for him, especially for those running a 3-4 system. Not a first round pick but may creep in there.


*****On The Bubble*****

Will Sutton (DT): Most likely a 4-3 UT, he's a guy that should be a first-round pick but may fall into the 2nd round. Just go over to YouTube and watch him play...he demands respect from opposing offensive linemen and has an amazing ability to get in the backfield and cause chaos. I look forward to seeing him play given that ASU will require more out of him this upcoming season.

There's a solid chance that Clowney goes #1 overall. I really like your number 5 - Nix. Definitely keeping an eye on him.

beerlover 09-29-2013 10:49 AM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
note: limited to Senior Class only

First Round: Aaron Murray, QB Georgia, 6010 215

It's time. Texans need a fiery leader in mold of a young Drew Brees. Makes up for his lack of size with intelligence, competitive nature, mobility, strong arm with quick release, accurate both long & short. He is not afraid to throw into tight windows, has played four years in SEC with improving results learning from his experience, he is now polished & poised ready to run an NFL offense.
http://www.holyturf.com/wp-content/u...Murray-ISM.jpg

Second Round: Justin Gilbert, CB Oklahoma State, 6000 200

Big, strong, physical cover corner with ideal NFL size. Competes for ball in the air, will challenge QB to throw @ him & shows excellent recovery speed. Good back peddle, fluid hips sub 4.5 long speed. Also outstanding special teams returner, holds Big- 12 record for 5 kickoff returns for touchdown.
http://www.draftbrowns.com/wp-conten...in-Gilbert.jpg

Third Round: CJ Fiedorowicz, TE Iowa, 6060 265

Big, physical inline blocker in mold of Mark Brunner, huge asset in pass pro will wall off pass rush. His low production & lack of targets in College may just drop his stock lower than it probably should be. Possess excellent hands, solid route runner, not explosive but very reliable & solid addition to Texan TE stable

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...09/7639686.jpg

Fourth Round: Ryan Groy, OT/OG Wisconsin, 6050 318

OL talent/depth would compete with Quessenberry who is coming off a broken foot on IR. Wade Smith may also be gone so really need to address position no later than 4th rd. Love Badger linemen, very sound fundamentally, has ability to play multiple positions, good feet/speed ratio. Could start as rookie?
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...review-300.jpg

Fifth Round: Devon Kennard, OLB/DE USC, 6030 255

Texans need to keep adding pass rushing talent finding a diamond in rough this late would be sweet. Kennard is third on the Trojans in tackles for loss & sacks. Red shirt last season with torn chest/pec injury, before that started for USC as middle LB so he could might be a candidate to kick back inside to ILB which I like on later round prospects that can plug & play another position of need. He made the 2009 ESPN.com Pac-10 All-Freshman first team and Sporting News Pac-10 All-Freshman first team. He won USC's John McKay Award. His farther Derek played 11 seasons in the NFL.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/D...-x0HbyzuKl.jpg

Sixth Round: Chris Davenport, NT Tulane, 6030 330

Highly recruited prep player who played three years for LSU. Very thankful to continue his education, articulate & a classic example of a young persons ability to make positive change in his life. Davenport may have been most known as one of the LSU players connected to the bar brawl prior to the start of the 2011 season involving then-starting quarterback Jordan Jefferson. Has prototypical size for a 3-4 nose. Run plugger up the middle with ceiling to return to form as one of nations top interior linemen.

Seventh Round: Brock Vereen, SS Minnesota, 6000 202

Another DB who is well coached, smart & productive (2nd most on team). Brother of New England RB Shane Vereen. Special teams gunner, durable, competitive. Someone to stash on PS or step up due to injury. Versatile safety who could play either FS or SS.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-footb...se-johnson.jpg

htownfan32 09-29-2013 03:59 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
My Official **** Matt Schaub draft

QBs we could target in round 1.

http://media.culturemap.com/crop/92/...row_065742.jpg
1). Johnny Manziel - He'll be where we're picking because we'll be picking somewhere between 12-18. I don't care what people say about his arm or his accuracy. Those are aspects Kubiak can and will improve. This guy wins. He's magic, wonderful, a video game player, whatever. He has grit and fire the likes of which this team has never seen under center. Should not start first year, however.


http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/dam/asse...-image-cut.jpg
2). AJ McCarron - Good passer, good intangibles, seems like a team leader. Doesn't have the arm to blow up any defense but he's got all the tools to be a good passer. Not immobile either. Certainly no Mariota/Manziel but won't just fall down in the pocket.



http://heismanpundit.com/wp-content/...Req9B-ekYl.jpg
3) Aaron Murray - Saturday September 28th's game against LSU. That is all.

WolverineFan 09-29-2013 04:11 PM

Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2217413)
note: limited to Senior Class only

First Round: Aaron Murray, QB Georgia, 6010 215

It's time. Texans need a fiery leader in mold of a young Drew Brees. Makes up for his lack of size with intelligence, competitive nature, mobility, strong arm with quick release, accurate both long & short. He is not afraid to throw into tight windows, has played four years in SEC with improving results learning from his experience, he is now polished & poised ready to run an NFL offense.
http://www.holyturf.com/wp-content/u...Murray-ISM.jpg

Second Round: Justin Gilbert, CB Oklahoma State, 6000 200

Big, strong, physical cover corner with ideal NFL size. Competes for ball in the air, will challenge QB to throw @ him & shows excellent recovery speed. Good back peddle, fluid hips sub 4.5 long speed. Also outstanding special teams returner, holds Big- 12 record for 5 kickoff returns for touchdown.
http://www.draftbrowns.com/wp-conten...in-Gilbert.jpg

Third Round: CJ Fiedorowicz, TE Iowa, 6060 265

Big, physical inline blocker in mold of Mark Brunner, huge asset in pass pro will wall off pass rush. His low production & lack of targets in College may just drop his stock lower than it probably should be. Possess excellent hands, solid route runner, not explosive but very reliable & solid addition to Texan TE stable

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...09/7639686.jpg

Fourth Round: Ryan Groy, OT/OG Wisconsin, 6050 318

OL talent/depth would compete with Quessenberry who is coming off a broken foot on IR. Wade Smith may also be gone so really need to address position no later than 4th rd. Love Badger linemen, very sound fundamentally, has ability to play multiple positions, good feet/speed ratio. Could start as rookie?
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...review-300.jpg

Fifth Round: Devon Kennard, OLB/DE USC, 6030 255

Texans need to keep adding pass rushing talent finding a diamond in rough this late would be sweet. Kennard is third on the Trojans in tackles for loss & sacks. Red shirt last season with torn chest/pec injury, before that started for USC as middle LB so he could might be a candidate to kick back inside to ILB which I like on later round prospects that can plug & play another position of need. He made the 2009 ESPN.com Pac-10 All-Freshman first team and Sporting News Pac-10 All-Freshman first team. He won USC's John McKay Award. His farther Derek played 11 seasons in the NFL.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/D...-x0HbyzuKl.jpg

Sixth Round: Chris Davenport, NT Tulane, 6030 330

Highly recruited prep player who played three years for LSU. Very thankful to continue his education, articulate & a classic example of a young persons ability to make positive change in his life. Davenport may have been most known as one of the LSU players connected to the bar brawl prior to the start of the 2011 season involving then-starting quarterback Jordan Jefferson. Has prototypical size for a 3-4 nose. Run plugger up the middle with ceiling to return to form as one of nations top interior linemen.

Seventh Round: Brock Vereen, SS Minnesota, 6000 202

Another DB who is well coached, smart & productive (2nd most on team). Brother of New England RB Shane Vereen. Special teams gunner, durable, competitive. Someone to stash on PS or step up due to injury. Versatile safety who could play either FS or SS.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-footb...se-johnson.jpg


I love the Murray pick. He's be a top 15 prospect if he wasn't 6'0. I also agree that we need to seriously address the QB position. It's time.

Really like Gilbert and I agree that we need to address CB badly. It's the biggest liability on the defense.

I like Fiedorowicz, but I don't see the need at TE unless you think we don't re-sign Graham.

Not familiar with Groy, but we do need to address the OL because Smith is probably gone.

Like Kennard and agree we still need to address OLB, but he won't be here in the 5th. His stock will blow up this year.

Not familiar with Davenport but we do need to address the DL with so many FA's.

Big fan of Vereen's and we really need to address the Safety position. Our depth is awful.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger