Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Schaub is the Rodney Dangerfield Of QBs He Gets No Respect! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100180)

False Start 05-15-2013 11:55 PM

Schaub is the Rodney Dangerfield Of QBs He Gets No Respect!

Link

Quote:

Here’s the ranking and the reasoning:

23. Matt Schaub, Texans: This may seem unfair given how close Schaub and Houston have come to making it to the Super Bowl. But their success isn’t about the quarterback — it’s about the system and running the ball and playing defense. The Texans gave Schaub a four-year extension in 2012 and it may be a decision they’ll regret soon. Schaub’s a very nice quarterback, but is he someone who’s going to win a Super Bowl without a stout running game and a big-time defense? I really don’t think so.

Big Lou 05-16-2013 12:46 AM

Re: Schaub is the Rodney Dangerfield Of QBs He Gets No Respect!

Quote:

Originally Posted by False Start (Post 2165063)

Whatever credibility this writer had was gone when he put Josh Freeman 5 spots higher than Schaub. Schaub may have his limitations but Josh Freeman, really?

Texn4life 05-16-2013 12:50 AM

Well............ This should get interesting.

ArlingtonTexan 05-16-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lou (Post 2165068)
Whatever credibility this writer had was gone when he put Josh Freeman 5 spots higher than Schaub. Schaub may have his limitations but Josh Freeman, really?

Freeman is 6 years younger with a stronger arm and at least some mobility. In overall performance, they are closer than not, but Freeman has a better chance of improving than Schuab. In short we probably know what Schuab is, but we don't know what other mediocore guys like Bradford, Tannehill and Freeman will become. They are 'better" for that reason alone.

TheMatrix31 05-16-2013 03:50 AM

Matt Schaub the 23rd best QB in the league?

****ing asinine.

Texn4life 05-16-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 (Post 2165077)

****ing asinine.

He's a whole 2 spots ahead of Locker if that puts it even more in perspective for people. Schaub has had his terrible moments, but its funny to see where Cam Newton is in relation to him and I'm a Cam fan. I can't say its a travesty because I'd rate Schaub middle of the pack right now with the capability of being a top 10 QB if he removes the vagina from in between his legs and grows a pair. His limitations are in his head in my opinion.

silvrhand 05-16-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan (Post 2165073)
Freeman is 6 years younger with a stronger arm and at least some mobility. In overall performance, they are closer than not, but Freeman has a better chance of improving than Schuab. In short we probably know what Schuab is, but we don't know what other mediocore guys like Bradford, Tannehill and Freeman will become. They are 'better" for that reason alone.

quoted because it's true and +rep.

Lucky 05-16-2013 06:35 AM

Schaub is lumped in a group between 16-23 along with Rivers and Cutler. Regardless of where you think he belongs in that group, Schaub does belong in that group based upon his performance in 2012. The Matt Schaub of 2009-2011 wiuld rank higher.

Lucky 05-16-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

****ing asinine.

OK, so 18th would make you feel better?

kingtexan 05-16-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

****ing asinine.

Agree. He should be down around 27 or 28th, and depending on what Weeden and Gabbert do in their new systems this year, could fall to 29th. Don't forget he has had his entire career as a starter in the same system to prove himself, and hasn't. Some of these other guys have had to juggle multiple systems, OC's, and/or HC's. I would have no problem having anyone on that list above him starting this year, and would throw in a definite for Dalton or Palmer in his place as well, and wouldn't think Ponder or Locker could do much worse than Matt has.

nero THE zero 05-16-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2165086)
Schaub is lumped in a group between 16-23 along with Rivers and Cutler. Regardless of where you think he belongs in that group, Schaub does belong in that group based upon his performance in 2012. The Matt Schaub of 2009-2011 wiuld rank higher.

Yep. I think the tiers are correct.

You can quibble on where Schaub ranks in that particular tier, I probably wouldn't put him last, but I think it's the tier he belongs in, and I certainly could make a case for each QB in that tier to be ranked ahead of him (and vice versa).

Thorn 05-16-2013 08:11 AM

I'm not a Schaub fan, but I do think he's a bit low on that list. This is not to say I don't want him replaced, because I do. It's just there isn't anyone else on the team or avaliable for signing that could step in and do better for the upcoming season. The Texans seriously need to be looking for a future QB.

Double Barrel 05-16-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2165087)
OK, so 18th would make you feel better?

Heck yeah! Because then he's Top 20! :spin:

coon 05-16-2013 10:56 AM

I think that list is absurd. Schaub is in the top half of Qb's in the league IMO. I created my own list of the top 20 guys, here it is.:
1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. E. Manning
6. Big Ben
7. Luck
8. Matt Ryan
9. Kaepernick
10. Wilson
11. RG3
12. Flacco
13. Romo
14. Schaub
15. Stafford
16. Cutler
17. Newton
18. Dalton
19. Freeman
20. Rivers
I think this is more accurate list, someone's potential doesn't matter in this list until they reach it.

brakos82 05-16-2013 11:10 AM

There's also the whole looks-like-a-doofus thing too. :kitten:

The Pencil Neck 05-16-2013 11:10 AM

I think he's ranked way too low but I'm not worried about it.

He wasn't required to put up big numbers to win last year and he didn't. I don't believe that means that he can't.

eriadoc 05-16-2013 11:15 AM

Can we merge this thread with the "Take a Bow Mr. McNair" thread? :kitten:

MistaRed 05-16-2013 11:17 AM

Seems about right to me.

ChampionTexan 05-16-2013 11:33 AM

If the ranking is 2012 in a vacuum, I've got no problem with where he landed.

If the ranking is based on the player's entire career, he's too low (I'd put him somewhere in the low teens).

If the ranking is based on who you'd take for the next 1-3 seasons, it's probably a little bit too low, but as of right now, I can't argue too much. The reality is he's got the 2013 season to change or reinforce the perception. Beyond that, who knows.

And while I have my opinion, basically, with the vast majority of subjective rankings - whether team or individual - I agree with the Shakespearean angle that it's a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

chenjy9 05-16-2013 11:47 AM

I would say the ranking is a tad low, but not too inaccurate either considering Schaub:

- Constantly looks to check down or throw it out when pushed out of pocket
- Is aging and not getting any younger
- Had extensive work done on his foot, taking away whatever little mobility he ever had
- Constantly underthrows his targets
- No longer throws accurately long distance
- Can NOT be counted on to lead us to victory

Schaub is what it he is, a system manager and not even that great of one.