Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Ed Reed will miss OTA's due to hip surgery. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100007)

SW H-TOWN 05-03-2013 12:53 PM

Ed Reed will miss OTA's due to hip surgery.

$#*@

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/ed-re...-and-minicamp/

rolyat93 05-03-2013 12:54 PM

Re: Ed Reed will miss OTA's due to hip surgery.

Part of the deal with him. As long as he's ready to go for the start of the real season, it's no big deal.

The Pencil Neck 05-03-2013 01:01 PM

This was reported as something that was going to happen before he even signed.

Although I believe the "hip" part is wrong. I'm pretty sure it's his shoulder.

SW H-TOWN 05-03-2013 01:06 PM

Swearinger, "Jungle Boi"...hilarious nickname, better bring his a game to OTA's and training camp. Hope Ed Reed heals fast, maybe he can get some dear antler spray from Ray.

SW H-TOWN 05-03-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2160851)

Hope they knew about it before he signed. Anybody got a link? Probably showed up when they did his medical but I'm just curious because I had not heard anything about this prior to today.

Rey 05-03-2013 01:21 PM

Did he already have the surgery?

If not, why wait so late to have it?

Jackie Chiles 05-03-2013 01:29 PM

Ugh, I already bought my OTA playoff tickets too. Non-refundable even!

CloakNNNdagger 05-03-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2160858)
Did he already have the surgery?

If not, why wait so late to have it?

If I remember correctly, he actually had major hip reconstruction some years ago. No mention if this recent (last week) arthroscopic surgery was on the same hip.

Rey 05-03-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2160864)
If I remember correctly, he actually had major hip reconstruction some years ago. No mention if this recent (last week) arthroscopic surgery was on the same hip.

Is there any reason why they'd wait until the tail end of the off season to do this surgery?

CloakNNNdagger 05-03-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2160868)
Is there any reason why thpley'd wait until the tail end of the off season to do this surgery?

When dealing with a "minor" tear, players can many times rehab by trying to strengthen the muscles around the hip joint. If they continue to have significant debilitating pain or limited free range of motion, arthroscopy is performed. The Texans may have seen that the rehab alone wasn't working and rather see him attend to it now rather than into the season. Seeing that Reed made his original injury much worse by trying to work through the pain before finally succumbing to major reconstructive surgery (found a link:
Jun 26, 2010
Ravens S Ed Reed says hip is healing and he wants to play at least one more year), he may have not told anyone that he was having problems at all and the Texans medical staff may not have caught it when signing him up........probably being more concerned about his shoulder.

We are not told if this is the same previously reconstructed or the other hip joint.........as each may carry their own unique implications.

bhsman 05-03-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles (Post 2160862)
Ugh, I already bought my OTA playoff tickets too. Non-refundable even!

Poor bastard, you might have to talk to JJ and Arian instead. :kitten:

The Pencil Neck 05-03-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2160851)

Well.

I knew about his shoulder labrum having an issue last year. I wasn't aware that his hip was still bothering him.

Insideop 05-03-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2160864)

Doc, this doesn't sound good. I know Reed is not the player he was a number of years ago but this sounds like something that is normally career ending for most. Is he more susceptible to a career ending hip injury now or is his hip stronger since the surgery and it's a non issue?

kingtexan 05-03-2013 05:05 PM

Tony. Boselli.

chenjy9 05-03-2013 05:16 PM

Doesn't he usually skip out on OTA's anyways?

CloakNNNdagger 05-03-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 2160954)
Doc, this doesn't sound good. I know Reed is not the player he was a number of years ago but this sounds like something that is normally career ending for most. Is he more susceptible to a career ending hip injury now or is his hip stronger since the surgery and it's a non issue?

At this point, there are a lot of holes in the information available. If it is his other hip and it is indeed "minor" requiring only minor debridement, I have seen patients weight bear within 1 week and be back within 4-6 weeks. On the other hand, if this is to go back into the previously reconstructed hip, return could be anywhere from 8-24 weeks, depending on the extent of surgery was necessary and if it involved revision of the iliotibial band graft which I found was used to reconstruct the labrum.

In either case, it has been shown if there is significant chondromalacia (essentially destruction of the cartilage) in the joint present, which is almost certainly the case in an example of major labral reconstruction, arthritis becomes a major factor in obtaining long-term success/performance. Even small labral tears may be associated with significant underlying areas of cartilage damage.

As always, we will need to wait for additional information or just have to be patient to see how his rehab progresses to extrapolate the extent of his injury(ies).

Fili 05-03-2013 06:28 PM

One reason why the Ravens didn't sign him.

The Pencil Neck 05-03-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fili (Post 2160999)
One reason why the Ravens didn't sign him.

You know they offered him almost as much money as we did, right?

Fili 05-03-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2161074)
You know they offered him almost as much money as we did, right?

Yeah but they didn't go more.

BlueSteel 05-04-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fili (Post 2161091)
Yeah but they didn't go more.

I think his point was that they TRIED to sign him back. Your post implied that the did not want him anymore.