Another pass rushers

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Another pass rushers

Brooks Reed is our new ILB.

Playoffs
04-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 55s
I thought Trevardo Williams was a solid 3rd and one of my favorite 3-4 OLBs on the board. Great edge burst. Love that pick for Texans

John Harris ‏@jharrisfootball 1m
Is it bad that I like Trevardo Williams potential more than Sam Montgomery? That said, I don't dislike Montgomery, but Williams can fly

12. TREVARDO WILLIAMS | Connecticut 6012|241 lbs|4SR Bridgeport, CT (Bridgeport HS) 12/31/1990 (age 22) #48

2012: (12/11) 42/13.5/11.5/1 PROJECTION: 4th Round
2011: (12/11) 43/15.0/12.0/2 MEASUREABLES: 6012 | 241 | 32 1-4” | 9 3-8" | 77”
2010: (13/7) 29/9.5/4.5/2 COMBINE: 4.57 40-YD DASH | 1.58 10-YD | 30 REPS | 38” V | 10-4 BJ
2009: (13/1) 19/2.5/2.0/0

STRENGTHS: Rocked up frame with very good muscle definition…quick feet to sidestep blocks and move fluid laterally…good get-off speed with a quick first step off the edge…active hands to initiate contact and burst past blockers with acceleration…very good natural strength and works hard in the weight room…plays with naturally low pad level to win with leverage…good hustle working to the play and recovering after false steps…productive starter, school record with 30 career sacks.

WEAKNESSES: Tweener size and traits and doesn’t have the frame to get much bigger…struggles to anchor and too easily redirected by blockers…doesn’t always play as strong as he looks, getting swallowed up by blockers and struggling to disengage…undeveloped counters and needs to work on his rush moves…suspect instincts and discipline, biting on fakes and losing contain, too often turning his back to the LOS…needs to consistently finish when in the area…unproven in coverage.

SUMMARY: Moved to the U.S. in 1999 from Jamaica and thrived at football and track in HS…showed obvious improvement with every rep and was consistently productive the past two seasons as pass rusher, setting the school-record for sacks (30.0)…good footwork and get-off quickness, but easily engulfed at the POA and ends up going where blockers want…has LB size, but was used as a hand-on-the-ground DE…tweener skills project him to a stand-up LB hybrid role in a 3-4 scheme.

mariowillshine15
11.5 sacks last year, a 4.57 at the combine. Nice

NCTexan
Playoffs beat me to it!

Seems like a solid pick to me.

LonerATO

I thought that yesterday with he Montogmery pick.

Brisco_County
04-27-2013, 12:28 PM
This eliminates any doubt that Reed stays at OLB.

TexansSeminole
04-27-2013, 12:30 PM

30 reps on the bench and a 38" vertical as well.

rmartin65
04-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Situational edge-rusher kind of guy. Very explosive, nice pick.

mariowillshine15
04-27-2013, 12:31 PM
30 reps on the bench and a 38" vertical as well.

Great athlete. Never can have enough pass rushers.

Fyler
04-27-2013, 12:33 PM

I ****ing love the sound of that... Didn't know much about him but that alone makes me feel like this was a good pick. Still hope we get Rodgers, Swope, or Patton if we can. Would be a HUGE and imo an amazing draft regardless of the rest of our picks tbh.

b0ng
04-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I think Wade Phillips is more concerned about the outside pass rush than he is the ILB next to Cushing. Williams looks like an explosive pass rusher.

Wolf
04-27-2013, 12:38 PM

thunderkyss
04-27-2013, 12:39 PM

Still too early to say. These guys won't be seeing the field if they can't act like Pros.

But there's a good chance you're right.

I like the pick, gives us options & the ability to not have to force anything... including the move of Brooks to ILB.

jppaul
04-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Yup, help at two positions, but boy are we going to be inexperienced on the outside.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Yup, help at two positions, but boy are we going to be inexperienced on the outside.

It might be too much to ask, but we can still rotate Brooks on the outside and the inside. If Brooks can handle the load, it could give Wade a lot of flexibility.

Our rush package... wow. We've got a ton of options for our Dime.

badboy
04-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Have to agree it appears Reed to ILB & am not sure about that. Wade is licking lips at getting this pure speed pass rusher. One trick pony, but so is a quarter horse. Good pick. Still want to see A J Klein in 5th for ILB. WR or S?

PapaL
04-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Special Teams should be MUCH improved next year.

Brandon420tx
04-27-2013, 12:52 PM
I can see Reed playing inside in the base set then kicking outside during the nickle when we take out a LB to bring in Swearinger

Porky
04-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Great draft so far. This one is pressing the 06 draft as my favorite of the Smithiak era. I'm particularly impressed given our low drafting position.

When I look at this guy, I see Bruce Irvin big time. Kind of a one trick pony - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Unlikely to ever be a 3 down player, but in the 4th rd that is fine. Irvin was a one trick pony and was a 1st rd pick.

In the current world of the NFL, some of your most valuable players are those that can protect the QB, and those that can go get him. And with our FA losses, we needed at least one OLB, and we got two.

We added Montgomery who I view as a more versatile guy that can possibly start. But this guy is pure edge rusher and in some respects may have a bigger impact. And getting that in the 4th rd? Love it!

Another solid A pick.

eriadoc
04-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I know nothing about the guy, so I'll consider it a good pick based on comments here. BUT - ILB will consist of a guy that's never played the position, a guy coming off a major knee injury (usually takes 18ish months to get back to normal), and a couple backups that got exposed last year. You have to be nervous about that.

TexansSeminole
04-27-2013, 12:55 PM
I know nothing about the guy, so I'll consider it a good pick based on comments here. BUT - ILB will consist of a guy that's never played the position, a guy coming off a major knee injury (usually takes 18ish months to get back to normal), and a couple backups that got exposed last year. You have to be nervous about that.

I think at this point, we have to assume that we are moving Brooks Reed to ILB or have some FA target in mind. I'm as worried about it as you are.

Brisco_County
04-27-2013, 12:59 PM
I can see Reed playing inside in the base set then kicking outside during the nickle when we take out a LB to bring in Swearinger

Exactly.

badboy
04-27-2013, 01:01 PM
I think at this point, we have to assume that we are moving Brooks Reed to ILB or have some FA target in mind. I'm as worried about it as you are.Yes and perhaps they have a FA Nose in mind also. Seems odd to leave the middle so fragile with Mitchell starting with ? at MLB. Just not sold on Reed yet but next to A 100% (?)healthy Cush, okay I guess.

eriadoc
04-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I think at this point, we have to assume that we are moving Brooks Reed to ILB or have some FA target in mind. I'm as worried about it as you are.

That's the guy I referred to as never playing the position before. He could do well, or he could struggle with the transition. But her played on the line in high school, on the line at Arizona, and on the line here in Houston. Now he'll be expected to play ILB. That's a more significant transition than I think most people consider it to be. Instincts at diagnosing plays is a skill that ILB has to have more than OLB.

EVOLVIST
04-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Reggie Herring all but confirmed the move of Reed to ILB this year, citing about 20 times they asked him to read and cover last year and how good of a job he did.

Herring said this made him feel better since the guy they had as a LB went right before T.Williams, so that changed their complexion.

In other words, there was more talk about Brooks Reed as opposed to this new pick.

Perki-Perk
04-27-2013, 01:08 PM
With the pick of an OLB and a DE already, I think it's safe to also assume that Cushing is coming along well and possibly ahead of schedule. If so, that is GREAT news!

Also, with Brooks playing ILB maybe down 1 and 2, but moving to OLB for passing situations with Swearinger possibly coming in to take the ILB spot next to Cush. Just a thought.

Porky
04-27-2013, 01:09 PM

You can't solve all your problems in one year, but I do hear what you are saying. And when you solve that one, others will come up. That's the never ending nature of the NFL. It's like a bucket with many leaks. As soon as you plug one, another leak starts.

We'll have to hope that Reed can make the transition, and like others mentioned I could see him playing in or out, providing a lot of flexibility. In this defense (and the NFL in general) give me a guy that can go get the QB vs. a guy that can help plug the middle and stop the run. The NFL is now a pass happy league.

If it's still a weakness, then the 2014 draft we could get one in 2nd or 3rd round. You simply cannot take care of every need you have in one draft.

Lastly, we still have 4 picks. It's quite possible one of those is a developmental ILB that can help on ST and start if injuries occur.

We still need a NT, TE, and ILB, but in the last 3 rounds, I think you look at developmental guys at nearly any position - with special consideration for guys that can help on ST.

Rey
04-27-2013, 01:13 PM
I like this pick. I think our pass rush is going to be better. That said I'm not sold on reed to ilb. I guess we'll see.

TexansSeminole
04-27-2013, 01:19 PM
That's the guy I referred to as never playing the position before. He could do well, or he could struggle with the transition. But her played on the line in high school, on the line at Arizona, and on the line here in Houston. Now he'll be expected to play ILB. That's a more significant transition than I think most people consider it to be. Instincts at diagnosing plays is a skill that ILB has to have more than OLB.

I agree, I think it would be a risky thing the rely on. Not to mention, we still need depth at ILB.

eriadoc
04-27-2013, 01:27 PM
You can't solve all your problems in one year ...

No, of course not. And I'm not against the pick, per se. I just would rather have seen them draft an ILB to go with whatever DE/OLB they draft. If one of those two picks was an ILB, then you'd have Cushing, Reed, Mercilus, and two draft picks to cover 4 starter spots. And that's not even counting any further draft picks that will likely cover depth, nor guys like Dobbins, Braman, and maybe Ruud. But since they went all outside rush, they're relying a little more heavily on the Reed conversion and Cushing being 100% than I like.

But hey, this is just April, so you never know how things will pan out.

Brisco_County
04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Reggie Herring all but confirmed the move of Reed to ILB this year, citing about 20 times they asked him to read and cover last year and how good of a job he did.

Herring said this made him feel better since the guy they had as a LB went right before T.Williams, so that changed their complexion.

In other words, there was more talk about Brooks Reed as opposed to this new pick.

That's what I was afraid of. He was referring to Sean Porter of A&M, who I thought we would definitely pick up. He went to the Bengals six spots ahead of us.

deucetx
04-27-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm not worried about NT as much as others because the position just isn't that big in Wade's defense these days. They are mainly out there for running downs and we didn't have an issue there last year and Mitchell played it better than Cody. Anyone we get at this point is only for depth purposes as chances are they aren't beating Mitch out.

Now ILB I would rather we grab someone. Yeah Reed may move over but as others pointed out it isn't as easy a transition all the time. Plus counting on Dobbins who is a more seasoned vet who had some injuries last year and Sharpton who is his own M.A.S.H. unit is a bit scary.

I like this pick though not just for pass rushing but special teams. To say we had no speed on that unit is an understatement.

Rey
04-27-2013, 01:32 PM
I love these edge players. We sorely lacked in that area. Also, I'm still not counting out braman. But we have options and competition now.

tru80texan
04-27-2013, 01:36 PM
I agree, I think it would be a risky thing the rely on. Not to mention, we still need depth at ILB.

With Reed inside you have Cushing, Reed, Sharpton, & Dobbins. That looks like plenty of depth to be honest. Maybe 1 more later in the draft for competition & youth purposes, but that seems to be plenty.

As far as Reed going inside, I think he will be fine. As it was stated earlier Reed dropped in coverage & played in coverage quite often. He seems to be able to read & react. In fact, if recall correctly thats exactly how he got injured. Playing in coverage. I think the transition will be fine & obviously the coaches believe he can handle it as well. I would consider Reed a step up from any of the other options we had playing in the middle last year not named Cushing.

TexansSeminole
04-27-2013, 01:40 PM
With Reed inside you have Cushing, Reed, Sharpton, & Dobbins. That looks like plenty of depth to be honest. Maybe 1 more later in the draft for competition & youth purposes, but that seems to be plenty.

As far as Reed going inside, I think he will be fine. As it was stated earlier Reed dropped in coverage & played in coverage quite often. He seems to be able to read & react. In fact, if recall correctly thats exactly how he got injured. Playing in coverage. I think the transition will be fine & obviously the coaches believe he can handle it as well. I would consider Reed a step up from any of the other options we had playing in the middle last year not named Cushing.

It's hard for me to rely on Sharpton as anything really. Dobbins will be good for this year, if he remains healthy, but for how much longer? What if Reed doesn't take well to the every down transition? It's a risk.

digitalswim
04-27-2013, 01:41 PM
A lot of folks are assuming we receive the Cushing of old. The guy is coming off a major surgery. I just hope the Texans aren't being overly optimistic about his progress. Things are going to be real ugly if he can't perform up to his normal standards because these other guys are just guys. No real studs in the bunch.

eriadoc
04-27-2013, 01:44 PM
A lot of folks are assuming we receive the Cushing of old. The guy is coming off a major surgery. I just hope the Texans aren't being overly optimistic about his progress. Things are going to be real ugly if he can't perform up to his normal standards because these other guys are just guys. No real studs in the bunch.

Exactly. I think 2014 Cushing will be back to form, but 2013 Cushing is going to be a bit more ordinary.

powda
04-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Montgomery and T williams seem like polar opposites to me. Im not worried about reed inside...can Montgomery handle the strong side? Williams is mercy's breather. Swearinger will cut into playing time for both of these guys...im ok with that.

Can I get a nose tackle?

tru80texan
04-27-2013, 01:52 PM
It's hard for me to rely on Sharpton as anything really. Dobbins will be good for this year, if he remains healthy, but for how much longer? What if Reed doesn't take well to the every down transition? It's a risk.

I hear you on Sharpton. Maybe they limit his exposure to the field in every aspect & he will remain healthy. Lol! Still a body that is considered depth.

I understand the concern around Reed, I just believe he is quite capable based on what he was doing as our OLB. He had to read & react in coverage & did an adequate job IMO. After this team survived & played decent last season w/ the multiple ILB's that all seemed subpar, IMO, it seems Reed is an upgrade based on his coverage abilities & he is a stout force that should be able to handle the run up the middle. I like the move. Reed & Cushing staring at you straight up the middle will be an intimidating look IMO.

Rey
04-28-2013, 01:09 AM
The more I watch this guy and Montgomery the more I love these picks. Williams is going to give us burst off the edge that we don't have. Both he and Montgomery bring ferocity to the pass rush.

Texn4life
04-28-2013, 01:56 AM
The more I watch this guy and Montgomery the more I love these picks. Williams is going to give us burst off the edge that we don't have. Both he and Montgomery bring ferocity to the pass rush.

I'm going a step farther and saying that quite a few of our picks including these guys bring quite a bit of nastiness and swagger. Even the offensive guys do. Swagger is overrated to me, but at times last year we lacked confidence. I don't get the feeling from any of these guys with our first five picks have problem with confidence whatsoever.

jppaul
04-28-2013, 03:06 AM
Montgomery and T williams seem like polar opposites to me. Im not worried about reed inside...can Montgomery handle the strong side?

Montgomery stacks the point of attack as well as any olb in this draft. I am worried about any man coverage responsibilities on anything more than a 3 sec count, especially extended crossing routes against quicker backs or tight ends. I think the speed is there but not the fluidity. Watched some T Williams game tape, love this pick with a little coaching he is going to be instant impact this year 5 or 6 sacks easy.

Lucky
04-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Watched some T Williams game tape, love this pick with a little coaching he is going to be instant impact this year 5 or 6 sacks easy.
I just saw Williams vs NC State, and he terrorized Mike Glennon. I just wonder if he has enough strength to shed blocks in the NFL. I guess size wise, he compares to Dumervil and James Harrison. But, those guys just seem more bulked up to me. There's no questioning William's quickness, though. As good as the Jordans and Mingos in that regard.

jppaul
04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
I agree once they lock on he's done but wow can he run

Rey
04-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Mr. Williams to be on 610 am in a few minutes.

Edit: I misunderstood them. They are talking to the fan that got to announce the Trevardo Williams pick :/

Double Edit: They are actually going to talk to Trevardo next :)

Rey
04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Connection was kind of bad so hard to understand him fully, but he Talked about Ryan Griffen and said he's a good play maker. He said he's not extremely familiar with the Texans Roster beyond WATT. But he knows that we have a lot of good young players. He's from an area in Jamaica know for speed. He has always been a high energy guy that loved to run since he was a kid.

He's kind of quiet, but he sounds like a smart guy.

Mr teX
04-30-2013, 01:04 PM
I could easily see us leaving Reed where he is and starting this kid next to Cush over Dobbins by mid year.

I can also easily see us bumping Reed inside next to Cush with Williams Montgomery platooning at SLB.

We've got so much versatility with the draft of this kid its ridiculous.

beerlover
04-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Classic Jamaican sprinter with plus speed for position.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Connection was kind of bad so hard to understand him fully, but he Talked about Ryan Griffen and said he's a good play maker. He said he's not extremely familiar with the Texans Roster beyond WATT. But he knows that we have a lot of good young players. He's from an area in Jamaica know for speed. He has always been a high energy guy that loved to run since he was a kid.

He's kind of quiet, but he sounds like a smart guy.

Also, it sounds like another UConn player, WR, is thinking about signing with us as a UDFA. He said that guy had "gorilla hands" and could catch anything thrown to him.

TejasTom
04-30-2013, 01:17 PM
... He's from an area in Jamaica know for speed...

And all this time I thought Jamaica was known for weed. :D

Excited to see him play. Think they will do the fans a fav and let him wear #90

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

The Pencil Neck
05-16-2013, 02:44 PM
2013-05-16: Agreed to terms.

The Chron's report. (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/05/texans-agree-to-terms-with-fourth-round-pick-trevardo-williams/)

Playoffs
05-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Coaches sez Trevardo > Montgomery at this point, fwiw.

mussop
05-17-2013, 10:16 AM
That's what I was afraid of. He was referring to Sean Porter of A&M, who I thought we would definitely pick up. He went to the Bengals six spots ahead of us.

Is that who he was talking about? Greene and Hodges also went right before Williams.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2013, 02:16 PM
From Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan:

Scout's Take: Maccagnan on OLB Trevardo Williams (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Scouts-Take-Maccagnan-on-OLB-Trevardo-Williams/b30f2d32-74f5-4ce8-a78c-54a25f28d157)

“Trevardo is another defensive end in college, playing in a 4-3 defense, we are projecting or going to convert to an outside linebacker. Whereas Sam (Montgomery) is obviously a bigger-statured guy and a more powerful player, Trevardo is actually shorter in terms of height; he’s about 6-1 and a half, about 245 pounds, but Trevardo is more of a speed type athlete. Now, he does have fine strength and ability from that standpoint. At the Combine, he obviously he displayed his speed. When you watch him on the college tape, he is a very, very fast, explosive player with very good initial quickness. When we evaluated him, we liked him from a pass rush ability standpoint. We definitely thought he had the skill set to make the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker. I think he had 12.5-plus sacks each year the last two years in that conference, so he’s been very productive as a pass rusher in college in the Big East level of competition. When you watch him versus the run, he is a strong player for his size, (has) the ability to hold the point of attack, control a tight end, shows good ability and real good speed and range to kind of run and chase and make plays versus the outside run or down the line of scrimmage versus the inside run. It was a guy that we liked where we got him and we thought it was a good value-type pick in that spot in the draft with the ability to potentially be a good player for us in our scheme. We really felt he was a really, really good athlete with the physical tools to be able to play that position."

SW H-TOWN
05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
I think he is going to really improve with some pro level coaching. Their HC was the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys and Dolphins but I don't see an extensive pass rush repertoire. A whole bunch of pass rush upside though.

Rey
05-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Raw ability is off the charts. Needs to get stronger and improve technique.

SW H-TOWN
05-20-2013, 11:43 PM
I think his biggest problem is that he has just about no pass rush moves. He plays the run pretty good but I don't see him doing anything like this... just go to 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtju56nqzE

AngryNateFTW
05-21-2013, 12:30 AM
I think his biggest problem is that he has just about no pass rush moves. He plays the run pretty good but I don't see him doing anything like this... just go to 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtju56nqzE

Travis Long hasn't even been picked up by a team..

SW H-TOWN
05-21-2013, 01:05 AM
That is not what I am getting at. Point is that Long shows the ability to set up his guy to the inside and then put a pass rush move on the him, something Williams does not do. Williams has a much higher celing but has yet to develop just about any moves IMO due to poor coaching. Also watch the play in regular speed right before 4:40 and the play after. Long lacks athleticism and probably won't get much better but has some good moves. Williams IMO has the strength, more than Long but appears to get swollowed up because after his speed move he has nothing left in his arsenal so he puts both his hands in the OL' s chest.

thunderkyss
05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I don't know if it's so much about "technique" & pass-rush "moves"

When I look at CMIII, Bloodline, I don't think "moves" or "technique"

I think more jeet kune do. Form without form. He maintains ball awareness, then he's got the burst & quickness to get to the ball.

SW H-TOWN
05-22-2013, 07:35 AM
I don't know if it's so much about "technique" & pass-rush "moves"

When I look at CMIII, Bloodline, I don't think "moves" or "technique"

I think more jeet kune do. Form without form. He maintains ball awareness, then he's got the burst & quickness to get to the ball.

You are right, when he identifies the run he maintains good awareness and does a good job of shedding the lineman and getting in on the tackle. That is why I think he has more strength that a lot of the scouting reports suggest.

The problem is that he does the same thing in thing after his initial outside or inside speed rush is negated due to his lack of countermoves. On his tape he will juke the OL some of the time, not much, when he realizes his initial move is beat but that will not work at the pro level if it is not combined with proper hand usage. He does maintain awareness after his initial speed move is negated but needs to develop more pass rush moves and better hand usage (bad coaching). I believe he will with some good coaching, and when he does he could be really good because the talent is there in spades.

Watch 4:32 to 4:52 in this video. It is of the less talented Travis Long who has some pass rush moves. Too bad he is not very athletic. If Williams had displayed these moves on tape he would not have lasted until the 4th round. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtju56nqzE

Personally I think he will be a holy terror once he has a better pass rush repertoire.

Rey
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't think his playing strength is good enough yet.

I think he needs some NFL training on more upper body exercises than just bench press...Bench press is only part of shedding blocks...

b0ng
05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
This pick is a lot more intriguing seeing as how through mini-camps and the first few days of OTA's it appears that the coaches believe that Williams is ahead of 3rd rounder Sam Montgomery. I won't say that the OLB position is in shambles, but there is quite a bit of inexperience (But losing two OLB's to high priced contracts will do that) and that is always worrisome.

badboy
06-26-2013, 03:27 PM
I asked him about simultaneously becoming friends with and competing against Montgomery.

“He’s playing a different position now, he’s on the Will, I’m on the Sam,” Williams said. “We both compete in pass rushing, but other than that he’s basically working on honing his skills on that side of the field while I’m working on dropping back.”

"It’s taking some time, a gradual change,” Williams said of starting plays off the line of scrimmage, standing up. “I don’t think it’s completely different than a three-point stance. It takes a lot of balance and building habits. I don’t feel it’ll be a problem, I’ll be practicing it over the next several weeks …

“The big difference is the initial attack. Usually in a three-point stance you have a more explosive attack. In a two-point stance you’re required to use a little more technique, using your arms and your footwork. It needs to be more coordinated. It’s not difficult.”

entire article http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/51063/two-rookie-lbs-not-at-same-spot-for-texans

The Pencil Neck
06-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm confused.

I thought Montgomery was the SAM and Williams was the Will.

ChampionTexan
06-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm confused.

Hopefully you are the one who is confused, and Trevardo is the one with a handle on things. For it to be the other way around would be a bad thing.

Rey
06-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Makes sense that TW would be the SOLB....I would not want Mont covering players much at all next year...

GoCoogs
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm confused.

So Sam is not the SAM, and Will is not the Will.

But who is on first? :)

thunderkyss
06-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm confused.

I thought Herring said he was going to start Montgomery at SAM, then later teach him the Will. Maybe they're switching it up for TC.

The Pencil Neck
06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Makes sense that TW would be the SOLB....I would not want Mont covering players much at all next year...

They'd been saying that Montgomery was going to be the Sam because he could hold the point of attack against the tight ends and be more of a force against the run while Williams, as more of a speed guy, would work on the weak side. At least, that's what I thought I'd heard Herring and Wade say... but... I guess I was wrong.

The Pencil Neck
06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
So Sam is not the SAM, and Will is not the Will.

But who is on first? :)

No.

Who is on Second.

IDEXAN
06-26-2013, 04:49 PM
I think of SAM & WILL as the OLB positions in the more conventional 4-3 defense, while with Wade's defense it's very much a hybrid defense with a 3-4 alignment sometimes but others with one or both of the OLBs actually assuming 3-point stances. But because of his greater size and strength it's easy to assume that Montgomery is more suited as the SAM type to be over the TE.

drs23
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
No.

Who is on Second.

...and Watt's on Third. If it wasn't a walk-off. :D

thunderkyss
06-26-2013, 09:03 PM
I think of SAM & WILL as the OLB positions in the more conventional 4-3 defense, while with Wade's defense it's very much a hybrid defense with a 3-4 alignment sometimes but others with one or both of the OLBs actually assuming 3-point stances. But because of his greater size and strength it's easy to assume that Montgomery is more suited as the SAM type to be over the TE.

It's true Wade's 3-4 isn't your run-of-the-mill 3-4. His is a one gap system & it looks more like a 4-3

This is one of those formations you're talking about with one OLB in a 3 point stance & the other standing up.

http://www.football-defense.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/121812_2348_TexansGetLu2.png

I wish there were defensive guys here who could explain the whats & the whys of the different formations we use.

Why is Meci Standing up? He's going to rush the passer, we know he's going to rush the passer, why not let him explode out of a 3 point stance?

DocBar
06-26-2013, 09:08 PM
I think of SAM & WILL as the OLB positions in the more conventional 4-3 defense, while with Wade's defense it's very much a hybrid defense with a 3-4 alignment sometimes but others with one or both of the OLBs actually assuming 3-point stances. But because of his greater size and strength it's easy to assume that Montgomery is more suited as the SAM type to be over the TE.IMO, Wade still uses a fairly standard definition of Will and Sam at the OLB positions. The biggest difference is that the Will OLB will line up on the LT more often than the RT, unless it's a left handed QB, and will mostly be used as a pass rusher but will still have to maintain containment on the end. I could very well be wrong, though.

The Pencil Neck
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
It's true Wade's 3-4 isn't your run-of-the-mill 3-4. His is a one gap system & it looks more like a 4-3

This is one of those formations you're talking about with one OLB in a 3 point stance & the other standing up.

http://www.football-defense.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/121812_2348_TexansGetLu2.png

I wish there were defensive guys here who could explain the whats & the whys of the different formations we use.

Why is Meci Standing up? He's going to rush the passer, we know he's going to rush the passer, why not let him explode out of a 3 point stance?

I'm not a defensive guru but... my guess is that he's making it look like he might take the RB in coverage.

They appear to be in a dime with Quin taking the spot of the other ILB. Normally in that situation, I'd expect Mercilus to have his hand down. BUT... he may actually have coverage responsibilities OR he may just be acting like he does to try to confuse the QB or the RB to bust the blocking scheme.

The Pencil Neck
06-26-2013, 10:39 PM
IMO, Wade still uses a fairly standard definition of Will and Sam at the OLB positions. The biggest difference is that the Will OLB will line up on the LT more often than the RT, unless it's a left handed QB, and will mostly be used as a pass rusher but will still have to maintain containment on the end. I could very well be wrong, though.

It all depends on the TE. If the TE is on the right, the Sam will be on the right and the Will on the left; if the TE is on the left, the Sam will be on the left and the Will on the right.

And this is one of the problems with our defensive scheme. If the offense shifts and moves the TE from one side to another, our entire defensive line and OLBs have to swap positions. That takes time and energy. And both the Packers and the Patriots took advantage of that to grind our guys down and get them out of position.

b0ng
06-27-2013, 01:18 AM

Plenty of great pass rushers have done perfectly well doing it from a 2 point stance.

To me I thought Williams was the speed guy/pass rush type on the weak side and Montgomery was the clean-up strongman on the strong side. Who knows.

ObsiWan
06-27-2013, 02:55 AM
No.

Who is on Second.
No, Who is on first.
What is on second.
I don't know is on third.

...back to football.
:D

IDEXAN
06-27-2013, 07:10 AM
It all depends on the TE. If the TE is on the right, the Sam will be on the right and the Will on the left; if the TE is on the left, the Sam will be on the left and the Will on the right.

Don't need and probably shouldn't use "right" or "left" in the explanation because it can be confusing when people ask what side of los you mean ? Just say that the SAM is over or across from the TE and the WIL is on the other end. But obviously that's a simple offensive formation, because so many teams (like the Texans) run multiple TE sets these days. Then there's the "MIKE" which is the middle LB and implies that the these 3 acronyms were meant for the 4-3 and not 3-4, strictly speaking.

The Pencil Neck
06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Don't need and probably shouldn't use "right" or "left" in the explanation because it can be confusing when people ask what side of los you mean ? Just say that the SAM is over or across from the TE and the WIL is on the other end. But obviously that's a simple offensive formation, because so many teams (like the Texans) run multiple TE sets these days. Then there's the "MIKE" which is the middle LB and implies that the these 3 acronyms were meant for the 4-3 and not 3-4, strictly speaking.

I used the right and left because of the message I was responding to. I was trying to show that the Sam and Will aren't connected to Right and Left.

And you agreed with me.

thunderkyss
06-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Lots of teams also move that TE around to see what the defense is doing, or to try to force a player into coverage. Even back in the pre Wade days, our LBs didn't flop sides if the TE changed sides at the LOS (if he was put in motion). The Will becomes the SAM, the SAM becomes the Will. The Mike becomes the MO & the Mo becomes the Mike.

drs23
06-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Lots of teams also move that TE around to see what the defense is doing, or to try to force a player into coverage. Even back in the pre Wade days, our LBs didn't flop sides if the TE changed sides at the LOS (if he was put in motion). The Will becomes the SAM, the SAM becomes the Will. The Mike becomes the MO & the Mo becomes the Mike.

That happened "in the pre Wade days"? I din't think we had Mo's back then running the 4/3.

Or did I misunderstand your point? :thinking:

thunderkyss
06-27-2013, 05:48 PM
That happened "in the pre Wade days"? I din't think we had Mo's back then running the 4/3.

Or did I misunderstand your point? :thinking:

You caught me.

The Pencil Neck
06-27-2013, 05:50 PM
You caught me.

I expected you to go pre-Kubiak.

Nitrofish
03-23-2014, 07:33 PM
What is the story with this guy and will we see him on the field in 2014? I had high hopes for this kid when he was drafted.

drs23
03-23-2014, 07:40 PM
What is the story with this guy and will we see him on the field in 2014? I had high hopes for this kid when he was drafted.

IIRC he needed to learn the position, more aggression and sand in his pants.

HOU-TEX
03-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Personally, and I've said this before, I think he should be given a shot at ILB. He has the speed and size of an ILB and I think he'd be a better fit than Reed or anyone else we currently have on the roster.

Maybe I'm missing something, but he should've gotten the shot to play inside instead of Tuggle

_King_
03-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Trevardo will get killed inside where he will be forced to take on blocks.

His best bet is to stay outside and get stronger.
Trevardo inside would mean gaping holes in the run game. He'd get completely wiped out of plays.
Hopefully he spent all off season eating and lifting and running.

Reed is a much better option inside since he can take on blocks an not get pushed 20 yards down the field like Trevardo did by 3rd string linemen in the pre season. I think in Crennels 34 Reed is actually a pretty good fit inside...I think in Wade's 34 he'd have been asked to do too much.

thunderkyss
03-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Trevardo will get killed inside where he will be forced to take on blocks.

His best bet is to stay outside and get stronger.

His best bet is to drop a few pounds & try to learn the safety position.

Long shot, but he's too small to play OLB or ILB for Crennel.

infantrycak
03-24-2014, 11:02 AM
His best bet is to drop a few pounds & try to learn the safety position.

Long shot, but he's too small to play OLB or ILB for Crennel.

Trevardo Williams 6'1" 241 lbs

Roman Phifer 6'2" 248 lbs OLB (4-3)
Teddy Bruschi 6'2" 247 lbs ILB
D'Qwell Jackson 6' 230 lbs ILB
Ben Taylor 6'2" 245 lbs ILB
Matt Stewart 6'3" 232 lbs OLB
Kamerion Wimbley 6'3" 245 lbs OLB
Derrick Johnson 6'3" 242 lbs ILB
Jovan Belcher 6'2" 228 lbs

Would appear he isn't out of line for a Crennel LB or at least is a whole hell of a lot closer than safety.

JB
03-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Trevardo Williams 6'1" 241 lbs

Roman Phifer 6'2" 248 lbs OLB (4-3)
Teddy Bruschi 6'2" 247 lbs ILB
D'Qwell Jackson 6' 230 lbs ILB
Ben Taylor 6'2" 245 lbs ILB
Matt Stewart 6'3" 232 lbs OLB
Kamerion Wimbley 6'3" 245 lbs OLB
Derrick Johnson 6'3" 242 lbs ILB
Jovan Belcher 6'2" 228 lbs

Would appear he isn't out of line for a Crennel LB or at least is a whole hell of a lot closer than safety.

But that once inch and 5 pounds is oh so important :rolleyes:

CloakNNNdagger
03-24-2014, 11:34 AM
IIRC he needed to learn the position, more aggression and sand in his pants.

Yep transition from DE in college to OLB in the NFL. There would need to be some concern about durability if consideration for ILB is given. Williams injured his ankle early on during preparations for the Senior Bowl. He was unable to play in the game . Williams' tender ankle did not seem to stop him from impressing at the combine, where he led all defensive linemen a time of 4.57 seconds in the 40 and a 38-inch vertical jump. Though, when it came time for Williams to work out for scouts again at UConn's Pro day, issues with both his groin and his back limited his ability to post the times he wanted to in the agility drills. Then he went on to sustain a re-injury of his ankle in the preseason that led to the IR. A conversion could occur to ILB, but he will be exposed to potentially greater trauma. I'd be happy if he could stay healthy at OLB.

WolverineFan
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
I see Williams as a pass rushing specialist at OLB. He doesn't have the size to be an every down player, but he has all the skills necessary to be an edge rusher. I think he would have been better suited being drafted by a 4-3 team and being a Von Miller or Bruce Irvin type passing rushing SLB.

steelbtexan
03-24-2014, 11:52 AM
I see Williams as a pass rushing specialist at OLB. He doesn't have the size to be an every down player, but he has all the skills necessary to be an edge rusher. I think he would have been better suited being drafted by a 4-3 team and being a Von Miller or Bruce Irvin type passing rushing SLB.

He might have put on 5-10 Lbs in the yr since we've seen him. At 6'1 245/250 he should be big enough to play ILB. Do you think he can cover RB's/TE's ?

I do worry about his ankle injuries playing ILB. Once you've hurt your same ankle more than once it's never the same. I know this from personal experience.

WolverineFan
03-24-2014, 12:02 PM
He might have put on 5-10 Lbs in the yr since we've seen him. At 6'1 245/250 he should be big enough to play ILB. Do you think he can cover RB's/TE's ?

I do worry about his ankle injuries playing ILB. Once you've hurt your same ankle more than once it's never the same. I know this from personal experience.

Athletically he should be capable of covering RB's/TE's but doesn't have a whole lot of experience doing so. However, I think his skill set is better suited for edge rushing than for taking on blocks in the middle. I don't know why you would draft a guy with that kind of pass rush ability and move him inside.

Brooks Reed is the guy who should move inside. Williams had more TFL and sacks in his last 2 years of college than Reed had in his entire career. Williams is more explosive and, despite Reed's size advantage, they have the same arm length. Williams brings more to the table as an edge rusher and Reed's bulk would be a better fit for the pounding it will take at ILB.

Hervoyel
03-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Yep transition from DE in college to OLB in the NFL. There would need to be some concern about durability if consideration for ILB is given. Williams injured his ankle early on during preparations for the Senior Bowl. He was unable to play in the game . Williams' tender ankle did not seem to stop him from impressing at the combine, where he led all defensive linemen a time of 4.57 seconds in the 40 and a 38-inch vertical jump. Though, when it came time for Williams to work out for scouts again at UConn's Pro day, issues with both his groin and his back limited his ability to post the times he wanted to in the agility drills. Then he went on to sustain a re-injury of his ankle in the preseason that led to the IR. A conversion could occur to ILB, but he will be exposed to potentially greater trauma. I'd be happy if he could stay healthy at OLB.

Look Doc, don't give us all that medical jibber-jabber! Just tell us what we all really need to know...

"Can Trevardo Williams fill that gaping hole in the training room that Daryl Sharpton's departure has left the 2014 Texans with?"

michaelm
03-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Look Doc, don't give us all that medical jibber-jabber! Just tell us what we all really need to know...

"Can Trevardo Williams fill that gaping hole in the training room that Daryl Sharpton's departure has left the 2014 Texans with?"

Funny stuff. MSR.

CloakNNNdagger
03-24-2014, 03:34 PM

The "medical Jibber-jabber" in my post that you speak of is an injury history and is there for those that are usually interested in what the basis for my conclusions are. If you read my post again, you will see that I DID answer your question. Daryl Sharpton is an ILB.

A conversion could occur to ILB, but he will be exposed to potentially greater trauma. I'd be happy if he could stay healthy at OLB.

Another way I could answer your question..........Yes, Williiams could probably serve as an excellent ILB replacement for Sharpton on the Texans' weekly Injury Reports.

michaelm
03-24-2014, 03:40 PM
The "medical Jibber-jabber" in my post that you speak of is an injury history and is there for those that are usually interested in what the basis for my conclusions are. If you read my post again, you will see that I DID answer your question. Daryl Sharpton is an ILB.

Another way I could answer your question..........Yes, Williiams could probably serve as an excellent ILB replacement for Sharpton on the Texans' weekly Injury Reports.

You might want to re-read Herv's post, doc. I think you might have misinterpreted the nature of the post.

CloakNNNdagger
03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
You might want to re-read Herv's post, doc. I think you might have misinterpreted the nature of the post.

Michaelm,

You know.........I did right after I posted mine..............somehow I missed the "training room."

Cracked up after I realized that he had just yanked my chain big time............was laughing so hard, could hardly send him my own REP!

Hervoyel
03-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Just having a laugh CnD. You keep that medical jibber-jabber coming. We rely on it around here.

CloakNNNdagger
03-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Just having a laugh CnD. You keep that medical jibber-jabber coming. We rely on it around here.

You got me good! And I thought reading comprehension was my strong suit. I'm already looking for a remedial reading refresher course........gotta keep my skills up, you know.:handshake:

Playoffs
03-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Maybe Vrabel will see something in him he likes and make him a pet project...?

ObsiWan
03-26-2014, 11:42 AM

You got me good! And I thought reading comprehension was my strong suit. I'm already looking for a remedial reading refresher course........gotta keep my skills up, you know.:handshake:
It's not often somebody throws a fastball past the Doc. Someone needed to lighten the mood around here. Rep to you both.

:D

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Cardinals claim Trevardo off waivers. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/03/cardinals-claim-trevardo-williams-off-waivers/)

Well.

At least he'll get another chance.

dream_team
08-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Cardinals claim Trevardo off waivers. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/03/cardinals-claim-trevardo-williams-off-waivers/)

Well.

At least he'll get another chance.

Good luck to him. I admit, at the time, I liked the pick. I thought at worst, he'd be a very good ST player.

Uncle Rico
08-04-2014, 11:48 AM
So only Hopkins and Swearinger remain active from that draft? is that correct? Holy Schnikes!

xtruroyaltyx
08-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Griffin.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2014, 11:52 AM
So only Hopkins and Swearinger remain active from that draft? is that correct? Holy Schnikes!

No, Griffin is still on the team, as well.

sandman
08-04-2014, 12:30 PM
No, Griffin is still on the team, as well.

Technically Chris Jones is still active... with NE. He may be playing for another team, but the pick proved solid even if the Texans didn't stay with it long enough.

Overall, 4 active and 2 IR out of a total of 9 picks isn't anywhere near the worst draft.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Technically Chris Jones is still active... with NE. He may be playing for another team, but the pick proved solid even if the Texans didn't stay with it long enough.

Overall, 4 active and 2 IR out of a total of 9 picks isn't anywhere near the worst draft.

The question was about players "on the team." Trevardo is still active in the NFL, as well. And Bonner and Quessenberry aren't necessarily done, either.

Lucky
08-04-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm not down with giving a team credit for drafting, then cutting a player that has success elsewhere. No one gives the Oilers credit for drafting Steve Largent. The Texans 2013 class was as close as a bust draft as you can get just one year out.

TexansSeminole
08-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm not down with giving a team credit for drafting, then cutting a player that has success elsewhere. No one gives the Oilers credit for drafting Steve Largent. The Texans 2013 class was as close as a bust draft as you can get just one year out.

Yup, pretty darn bad.

steelbtexan
08-04-2014, 10:13 PM

You just gotta bring up the Largent screw up. LOL

Even Rick Smith hasn't screwed up that bad. Memories

thetexanator
08-05-2014, 09:01 PM

fire rick smith.

xtruroyaltyx
08-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Was Trevardo healthy?

I wonder if we'll see him getting pushed around the field like a kid this weekend?

Ah...Memories

Troy Chapman
08-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Was Trevardo healthy?

I wonder if we'll see him getting pushed around the field like a kid this weekend?

Ah...Memories

He passed the team physical to be activated off PUP with Houston before being released.

CloakNNNdagger
08-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Was Trevardo healthy?

Ah...Memories

He passed the team physical to be activated off PUP with Houston before being released.

This is why they likely let him go. He would "get well"......then when he saw the field again have a recurrence of high ankle sprain and related mechanical problems:

(From 2 weeks ago)

Noone's really mentioned from what I've seen thus far that Tevardo Williams was also placed on the PUP.

Last year, he was placed on IR after he "tweaked" his ankle.....something that was later identified to be a high ankle sprain, a notoriously chronic, recurrent type of injury (ala Caldwell and Brisell). When I looked into it deeper, I found that he was actually in a boot in November of 2012 for a high ankle sprain. This is what limited him in his late and post season play (Senior Bowl) endeavors and limited his Combine to only straight ahead runs. In fact, I followed his high ankle history back to the 2012 preseason. If this wasn't bad enough, I found that his limitations at the Combine were not only due to his high ankle problems, but that he was also dealing with significant groin and back issues at the same time. Obviously the Texans were presented with an entire menu of red flags prior to the Draft.

michaelm
08-08-2014, 10:58 AM
This is why they likely let him go. He would "get well"......then when he saw the field again have a recurrence of high ankle sprain and related mechanical problems:

(From 2 weeks ago)

Seriously. Stop being right all the time, doc. It gets annoying... :kitten:

xtruroyaltyx
08-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Cardinals Release Trevardo.

The Arizona Cardinals cut Trevardo Williams, who was recently acquiered off waivers from the Houston Texans.

Wiliams was drafted in the fourth round last year out of Connecticut.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Cardinals-cut-Trevardo-Williams.html

TheIronDuke
08-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Cardinals Release Trevardo.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Cardinals-cut-Trevardo-Williams.html

Probably only brought him in to get the ins and outs of our defense so they can win the always important first preseason game. :overreact: