PDA

View Full Version : 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

ArlingtonTexan
04-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Well, somebody not from a Carolina

Edit....he went to high school with Swearinger

LonerATO
04-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Does this mean Reed could end up at ILB?

Brisco_County
Mayok said he fell due to his interviews. Some teams took him off the board. But physically, he's a solid 2nd round grade. The team just needs to "keep him on track."

eriadoc
Mayock said teams took him off their draft board because they didn't like his "profile" ... didn't like what the kid was all about, in his words. Any idea what the heck he's talking about?

Thorn
04-26-2013, 10:28 PM
meh.....

texan279
6'4'' 262 pounds. 4.59 forty time. Tore ACL right knee in 2010. All per 610. OLB prospect.

DX-TEX
Mayock said teams took him off their draft board because they didn't like his "profile" ... didn't like what the kid was all about, in his words. Any idea what the heck he's talking about?

He is a Sonic the Hedgehog fan?

https://twitter.com/Sonic99_SC

Brisco_County
04-26-2013, 10:29 PM

I'm starting to believe that now. We're not drafting a starter in the 4th, and we don't have the cap space for another FA.

RagingBull
04-26-2013, 10:29 PM

Actually, he is from Columbia, SC

TexansSeminole
04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
6'4'' 262 pounds. 4.59 forty time. Tore ACL right knee in 2010. All per 610. OLB prospect.

He ran a 4.81 at the combine.

Nawzer
04-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Mayok said he fell due to his interviews. Some teams took him off the board. But physically, he's a solid 2nd round grade. The team just needs to "keep him on track."

Mr. Montgomery meet Mr. JJ Watt.

TEXANRED
04-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Right? I think our scouts got stuck in that region.

aussie_texan
04-26-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm starting to believe that now. We're not drafting a starter in the 4th, and we don't have the cap space for another FA.

I don't think he moved to ilb. With swearinger our 3rd safety will play more snaps then our 2ilb. And there are still a couple guys available still

b0ng
04-26-2013, 10:33 PM
A pick very outside the usual strict guidelines we have for draftees

sometexansfan
04-26-2013, 10:35 PM
From Walterfootball:
Montgomery didn't stand out at either the Combine or his pro day. There are a lot of concerns about his work ethic. Montgomery admitted to taking plays and entire games off. Some teams feel that he is lazy, so he could fall to the third day of the draft.

Definitely don't like to hear that.

MistaRed
Actually, he is from Columbia, SC

Also Montgomery and swearinger played on the same high school team.

Goatcheese
"Now that's really interesting pick. He's a guy who on tape is a solid, solid second-round pick. But a lot of teams didn't like his interview process. Teams didn't like his profile as far as who the kid was and what he was all about. They weren't sure he was focused on football, and a lot of teams quite frankly took him off the board. From a football perspective, the Texans just got a steal." -- Mike Mayock

Sounds like a guy with a VY mindset. That usually doesn't end well.

Corrosion
04-26-2013, 10:37 PM

I dont think so - They only had Reed , Mercilus and Braman on the roster at OLB prior to this selection.

Still quite a few ILBers on the board who could start from day one: AJ Klien , Nico Johnson , Kevin Reddick and a couple OLB's who probably translate better to ILB on the pro level - Khaseem Greene , Chase Thomas & Sean Porter.

I like Klien the most as he has the coverage skills to deal with the TE's and RB's leaving Cushing to be that 5th rusher on most occasions.

DX-TEX
04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a guy with a VY mindset. That usually doesn't end well.

Except for this:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 45s
Like this... RT @BlakeDickey2: DJ Swearinger and Sam Montgomery were on same high school team and are now reunited in NFL.

We drafted his HS team mate in the 2nd round. Motivation?

TexansCountry
04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I would rather have Alex okafor

blitz90
04-26-2013, 10:40 PM
http://deadspin.com/5971949/heres-the-bitchy-sign-an-lsu-strength-and-conditioning-coach-used-to-embarrass-motivate-his-players

MistaRed
04-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Herring says they want him to start at OLB

Playoffs
04-26-2013, 10:41 PM
9. SAM MONTGOMERY | LSU 6032|262 lbs|4JR Greenwood, SC (Greenwood HS) 5/25/1990 (age 22) #99

2012: (13/10) 37/13.0/8.0/2 PROJECTION: 3rd Round
2011: (14/11) 49/13.5/9.0/1 MEASUREABLES: 6032 | 262 | 33 7-8” | 9 1-4" | 79 3-4”
2010: (5/5) 18/6.0/2.0/0 COMBINE: 4.81 40-YD DASH | 1.69 10-YD | 34.5” V | 9-6 BJ | 7.18 3C | 4.51 SS
2009: Redshirted

STRENGTHS: Rangy, long-striding athlete with a quick first step out of his stance…stronger than he looks and is at his best when he can punch and get to the body of blockers…has done a nice job filling out his frame and adding 30+ pounds since HS…not shy about using his hands and uses his eyes to track the ball while hung up on blocks…extremely hungry, intense and relentless, never giving up and always fighting through the whistle…good starting experience in the SEC and sack production.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his snap anticipation, too often the last lineman off the ball…plays a little tight and doesn’t easily redirect in a flash…needs to stay balanced through contact and better anticipate blocks and use leverage…lacks elite power, which shows when engaged and needs to develop his strength and hand technique…needs to develop his secondary moves and a more creative repertoire…ACL surgery in Oct. 2010…concerns with work ethic and off-field practice habits.

SUMMARY: More productive pass rusher than teammate Barkevious Mingo, but not the same type of athlete plus strong questions about how hard he will work at the next level…on-field effort isn’t a question, showing intensity on just about every snap…needs to focus more on the fundamentals to develop better get-off anticipation and hand use to shed blocks…not the most fluid athlete and has a few red flags, but he has the tools and on-field motor to make plays in the backfield.

Rey
04-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Looks like a MLB to me...

blitz90
04-26-2013, 10:43 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/04/the_case_of_lsu_defensive_end_.html

Trap_Star
04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
not the first or last player to have a questionable motor. he was a little too honest about it, but lots of players that people drool over have done the same without actually saying it. good pick.

Rey
04-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I know one thing...I like him more than I like Merciless...

SW H-TOWN
04-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Don't like the pick but there is one thing I have noticed. The Texans are drafting guys who play physical (Hopkins) or with a nasty predisposition (everyone else). From what I have seen when Montgomery is motivated he is a solid player and possesses a nasty streak. The Texans are not drafting nice guys in 2013.

IDEXAN
04-26-2013, 10:59 PM
"You know, some weeks when we didn't have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed," he said. "But when we had the big boys coming in, the Bamas or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all out. Of course, this is a new league, the NFL and there are no small teams, small divisions, it is all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It's definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I'm sure with the right coaching I will be fine."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-lsu-sam-montgomery-160419716--nfl.html
OK this guy is easily the most intriguing prospect the Texans have drafted this year, so far atleast. I've seen him graded first and second round, but he's dropped quite a lot because of a curious attitude (too much candor maybe ?).
I think this is more of Wades' influence, because he's able to get some players thru McNairs watchful eyes that probably couldn't have made it before the DCs arrival. I like this pick - definitely risky, but upside for sure
and yet it's practically a 4th round pick, so not a huge investment by the Texans.

michaelm
04-26-2013, 11:02 PM
not the first or last player to have a questionable motor. he was a little too honest about it, but lots of players that people drool over have done the same without actually saying it. good pick.

I try not to put on my tin foil hat too often, but when I read that he admitted taking plays off during interviews, my first reaction was that he only said that to teams he didn't want to play for.
I think the dude might be a closet genius.

DocBar
04-26-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm sure Cush and Watt will make sure he doesn't take any plays off. Not to mention Reed and Manning. I'm not worried about this guys work ethic with those guys pushing him.

Texn4life
04-26-2013, 11:06 PM
I try not to put on my tin foil hat too often, but when I read that he admitted taking plays off during interviews, my first reaction was that he only said that to teams he didn't want to play for.
I think the dude might be a closet genius.

I would consider him a damn fool to throw away money like that. I'm intrigued by the pick and his comments honestly don't scare me, but I doubt he would risk losing hundreds of thosands of dollars on purpose.

Texn4life
04-26-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm sure Cush and Watt will make sure he doesn't take any plays off. Not to mention Reed and Manning. I'm not worried about this guys work ethic with those guys pushing him.

Not to mention he won't be asked to play every down. When he does get his chances I'm sure he'll be going balls to the wall.

beerlover
04-26-2013, 11:08 PM
maybe, finally Texans have enough moral fiber & Pro Bowl players to warrent taking some risks on talented players that just need proper leadership :swatter:

Heath Shuler
04-26-2013, 11:08 PM
From Walterfootball:

Definitely don't like to hear that.

I dont see him taking jack**** off with Reggie Herring around

Fili
04-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Somebody that doesn't have dreads lol.

Lucky
04-26-2013, 11:14 PM
maybe, finally Texans have enough moral fiber & Pro Bowl players to warrent taking some risks on talented players that just need proper leadership :swatter:
Why doe it require moral fiber to take risky picks? That makes no sense. Besides the point that Montgomery doesn't really have character concerns. The combine press conference is overblown.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Don't like the pick but there is one thing I have noticed. The Texans are drafting guys who play physical (Hopkins) or with a nasty predisposition (everyone else). From what I have seen when Montgomery is motivated he is a solid player and possesses a nasty streak. The Texans are not drafting nice guys in 2013.

Perhaps, NASTY is a key word for 2013 Texans' draft. I like NASTY D!

TEXANRED
04-26-2013, 11:15 PM
http://deadspin.com/5971949/heres-the-bitchy-sign-an-lsu-strength-and-conditioning-coach-used-to-embarrass-motivate-his-players

Howie Long is always talking about how he always avoided the workout room.

Put on the tape.

76Texan
04-26-2013, 11:18 PM
I took this guy at #36 in the TT Mock Draft for the Lions! :turtle::spit:

eriadoc
04-26-2013, 11:38 PM
There was an article that was posted here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98544&highlight=football+character), written by Jerry Angelo. It was called "The Importance of Football Character" (http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/importance-football-character).

Before we go further, let’s first define “football character.” Football character entails a player’s work ethic, competitive nature, threshold for pain, football IQ, overall passion for game and level of play within these characteristics.

At the college level, a gifted player can dominate with his talent alone regardless of his lack of football character. When the player gets to the next level, it tends to catch up to him. Rarely does a player have a long career in the National Football League without football character since he can no longer mask those flaws with his talent as he once did in college.

Football character is the glue that allows players to establish themselves and create the needed staying power when their talent starts to erode. It allows them to continue to play well past their prime. The exceptions are so rare that you almost can’t even categorize them as aberrations - they’re that rare. It might surprise you to find out that most busts have more to do with a players lack of character than talent.

While both “citizenship” and “football character” are important to his future success as a football player, I would say that the latter carries more importance. That’s the reason I would always say “we’re not looking for boy scouts” because our jobs are to win football games. We weren’t hired to serve the community. That’s not to say a player’s citizenship isn’t important because I feel like it is very important. I’m just saying that football character is more important.

In the end, you’re much better off drafting players who have talent with a strong history of practice and games started, than a player with elite talent, that can’t be counted on.

On the other side of football character, we drafted a LB out of the midwest with a high first round draft pick. He was a hold out and got paid substantial money. Between partying, buying new cars and water toys, we rarely saw any of the type of play we had seen in college. He couldn't learn his assignments and couldn't be trusted to play every down. The player was late for meetings, fined repeatedly and it went on and on. It was one bad thing after another. If it weren't for drafting him in the 1st round we would have cut him after his rookie year.

I'd be lying if I said I don't have concerns.

Tailgate
04-26-2013, 11:43 PM
@LanceZierlein Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.

mariowillshine15
04-26-2013, 11:46 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-lsu-sam-montgomery-160419716--nfl.html

#38 on the Shutdown corner top 50.

ArlingtonTexan
04-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Why doe it require moral fiber to take risky picks? That makes no sense. Besides the point that Montgomery doesn't really have character concerns. The combine press conference is overblown.

Honestly, he did the football equal of the kids who come home with a "b" in a class because they barely had to study, ignoring the fact that if they had even put in moderate consistent and proper study they would have made an easy "A"

Brisco_County
04-26-2013, 11:52 PM
His answer to character concerns:

So what does he make of those who say he comes with character concerns?

"I've never been in trouble with the police," he said. "I've never done anything outrageous or anything like that. It's just that I have a different way of looking at things. That's all. ... You have to have a little integrity."

Montgomery said he tells teams that he's active in the community and has an appreciation for everything. He's actually hosting an event on April 24 -- the day before the draft begins -- for his hometown of Greenwood, S.C. called "Unity in the Community with Sam Montgomery." He'll give a speech to children about the importance of being active and hard work. There will be games for children to compete in. He'll also sign autographs and host a cookout.

The goal is to show Greenwood "that I actually love my city with passion and care," Montgomery said. "They are a main part of my success."

At the combine, Montgomery said that he was leaving early "due to family conditions." Montgomery's mother recently underwent hip surgery.

Link (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/04/the_case_of_lsu_defensive_end_.html).

DocBar
04-27-2013, 12:35 AM
There was an article that was posted here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98544&highlight=football+character), written by Jerry Angelo. It was called "The Importance of Football Character" (http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/importance-football-character).

I'd be lying if I said I don't have concerns.That sounds a whole lot like Mario Williams. Supreme talent but lazy ass character. Or David Carr for that matter. If Montgomery ends up like this, at least the Texans only wasted a 3rd pick rather than the #1 overall. I say that while acknowledging the opinion that he was probably the best pick the Texans could've made at #1 in the '06 draft.

Coming in as a 3rd round pick will (hopefully) be humbling for the man. Watching such players as Watt and Cush go through their conditioning programs and seeing their dedication to film study and how they go about their business as a pro, will hopefully open his eyes as to what needs to happen to be successful at the NFL level. If he gets his act together and buys into what Watt and Cush preach, he could be a monster. If he doesn't, he's a washout 3rd rounder in a couple of years. Won't be anywhere near the 1st or the last.

bckey
04-27-2013, 12:49 AM
They should have taken Jesse Williams DT Alabama here.

greekdbag
04-27-2013, 01:00 AM

lol I am going to go crazy if I see you bash MERCILUS not Merciless one more time. You have done nothing but ride the guy since he was drafted. It is almost scary to be honest with you. The guy was a fantastic player in college, though raw, and still came up with six sacks as a reserve last year. I hope he makes you eat a huge plate of crow.

greekdbag
04-27-2013, 01:01 AM
They should have taken Jesse Williams DT Alabama here.

There are major concerns about his knees. No thanks.

Vance87
04-27-2013, 01:15 AM
That sounds a whole lot like Mario Williams. Supreme talent but lazy ass character. Or David Carr for that matter. If Montgomery ends up like this, at least the Texans only wasted a 3rd pick rather than the #1 overall. I say that while acknowledging the opinion that he was probably the best pick the Texans could've made at #1 in the '06 draft.

Coming in as a 3rd round pick will (hopefully) be humbling for the man. Watching such players as Watt and Cush go through their conditioning programs and seeing their dedication to film study and how they go about their business as a pro, will hopefully open his eyes as to what needs to happen to be successful at the NFL level. If he gets his act together and buys into what Watt and Cush preach, he could be a monster. If he doesn't, he's a washout 3rd rounder in a couple of years. Won't be anywhere near the 1st or the last.

Actually he seems to be the opposite of Mario. He would disappear against good teams and rack up numbers against inferior talent, lol.

DocBar
04-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Actually he seems to be the opposite of Mario. He would disappear against good teams and rack up numbers against inferior talent, lol. You must be talking about Mario disappearing....

Vance87
04-27-2013, 01:36 AM
You must be talking about Mario disappearing....

Very keen. :texflag:

DocBar
04-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Very keen. :texflag:I'm like that on Friday nights. God given talent.

Rey
04-27-2013, 01:47 AM
He sounds like Arian foster to me

Brisco_County
04-27-2013, 02:06 AM
After watching this interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWuUHqSLs30), I can easily see him being naively honest in the combine interviews. As if he was playing poker with his cards lying face up. He lacks shrewdness.

But naivety is an indicator of being impressionable, which can be a good thing in the right environment. I don't think this guy will have work ethic issues. If you think so, watch this clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyZ8pLdRSok) and tell me the guy is inclined to half-ass it on the field.

Brisco_County
04-27-2013, 02:06 AM

That struck me too.

Big Valley
04-27-2013, 03:02 AM
He should replace Barwin nicely..

ObsiWan
04-27-2013, 03:56 AM

#38 on the Shutdown corner top 50.

from the article...

Conclusion: Montgomery is more of an effort and multi-position cog in a defensive front than a transcendent pass-rusher, but I think he has the attributes that will lead to a relatively seamless level of production at the NFL level ... as long as his NFL team understands what he is and what he is not. His overall physical strength will allow him to exploit the league's trend to the every-gap player, and once he develops more consistent hand techniques, he'll be even better when it comes to extending his bull-rush. In addition, LSU's tendency to use its line to read and react gave a muddied picture of Montgomery's potential as an every-down pass-rusher -- but a far better window into his potential as the kind of defensive player who will do everything well.

I think this is another case of drafting replacements. Hopkins was drafted to replace Walter and may eventually replace A.J. Swearinger may eventually replace Ed Reed. I feel that Montgomery will be groomed to replace Ninja.

Rey
04-27-2013, 04:01 AM
from the article...

I think this is another case of drafting replacements. He will be groomed to replace Ninja.

I think hes going to play olb. I could be wrong though...

Carr Bombed
04-27-2013, 04:10 AM

From what I saw.. he has more strength, but Barwin beat him at everthing else, including pass rush moves, and was a WAY better OLBer prospect.

Sorry Ray, like another poster mentioned..What is your beef with Mercilus? I'll expect more from Mercilus with a year under his belt (what's with the hate) Hell , I'd take Braman over the loss of Barwin too. Montgomery is a high upside player, but he's not near as explosive off the edge ass the three mentioned above ( Barwin, Braman, or Merciles.)

Honestly with the way he plays it looks like he needs to add a couple of #s and keep his hand in the dirt if he ever wants to become a starter.

ObsiWan
04-27-2013, 04:13 AM
I think hes going to play olb. I could be wrong though...

I wouldn't rule that out either.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-27-2013, 04:14 AM
I watched him on youtube and seems like to me he is playing hard and not playing soft at all. Montgomery could be a steal of draft. Show us what you got this coming season Sam!

ThaJokaa
04-27-2013, 07:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YsOQzUE.jpg

not sure if real or not

TejasTom
04-27-2013, 08:15 AM
My LSU friends are really excited about this.

TEXANRED
04-27-2013, 08:21 AM
His answer to character concerns:

Link (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/04/the_case_of_lsu_defensive_end_.html).

This sounds like a horrible person. Maybe Sam and Foster can ride the bench together and discuss philosophy. :pop:

TEXANRED
04-27-2013, 08:35 AM
That struck me too.

Make that 3

@LanceZierlein Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.

Even "WE" took him off the board? Who is his source? Jerry Jones? funny stuff.

dalemurphy
04-27-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm hopeful that this pick turns out well. It certainly may. What concerns me, though, is the likelihood that the Texans front office did not do the research it needed to... I have a hard time believing that this organization knowingly selected a player on this list:

HERE (http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2012/12/28/lsu-tigers-strength-and-conditioning-coach-posts-his-naughty-list/)

I just don't see it. I can believe that they asked him about his combine comments and were satisfied with his answer. Herring said, basically, that he's just foolish and likes to talk. I get that and don't have a problem with that conclusion. Frankly, with pick #95, I don't have a problem with the Texans taking a shot at a 1st round talent that has some discipline and work ethic issues to work on. What I do mind, though, is the possibility that the Texans were unaware of some of these concerns. If that's the case, they were either sloppy in preparation for the draft or they panicked during the draft process when a player(s) they targeted was selected ahead of them.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in the Houston Sports Media will pursue an answer from the Texans brass on their knowledge and reaction to the LSU Strength coach's accusation.

TEXANRED
04-27-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm hopeful that this pick turns out well. It certainly may. What concerns me, though, is the likelihood that the Texans front office did not do the research it needed to... I have a hard time believing that this organization knowingly selected a player on this list:

HERE (http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2012/12/28/lsu-tigers-strength-and-conditioning-coach-posts-his-naughty-list/)

I just don't see it. I can believe that they asked him about his combine comments and were satisfied with his answer. Herring said, basically, that he's just foolish and likes to talk. I get that and don't have a problem with that conclusion. Frankly, with pick #95, I don't have a problem with the Texans taking a shot at a 1st round talent that has some discipline and work ethic issues to work on. What I do mind, though, is the possibility that the Texans were unaware of some of these concerns. If that's the case, they were either sloppy in preparation for the draft or they panicked during the draft process when a player(s) they targeted was selected ahead of them.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in the Houston Sports Media will pursue an answer from the Texans brass on their knowledge and reaction to the LSU Strength coach's accusation.
What gives you, or anyone, the impression that the Texans were unprepared and panicked? Even if someone they targeted was picked they do have their own big board. They didnt just draw a name from a hat.

I think Montgomery's personality is going to fit right in with Wade Phillips. And lets not forget he will be in a LB core that has Cushing in it.

Playoffs
04-27-2013, 08:50 AM
The controversial Combine quote:At the combine, Montgomery said he didn’t play all-out because weak opponents allowed for some respite.

“You know, some weeks when we didn't have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed,” Montgomery said in Indianapolis. “But when we had the big boys coming in, the Bamas or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all-out.

“Of course, this is a new league, the NFL, and there are no small teams, small divisions. It is all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It's definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I'm sure with the right coaching I will be fine.”

In a conference call with Houston media, Montgomery said his best quality is his relentlessness -- contradicting the idea that he didn’t give his all against teams like North Texas, Idaho and Towson.

Playoffs
04-27-2013, 08:56 AM
not sure if real or not
Surprisingly, it is real. LSU strength/conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt threw a few players under the bus...

http://i.imgur.com/YsOQzUE.jpg

TEXANRED
04-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Here is his path to the draft:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-take-LSU-DE-Sam-Montgomery-in-3rd/8f9eba5f-f475-42a0-9491-e4fd8ac19082

ArlingtonTexan
04-27-2013, 09:37 AM

For all of the faults oone can find with the Texans, i doubt its under preparation for the draft. while I don't find rick smith paraticularly innovative or engaging, nothing has ever been suggested that he wasn't thorough. when they have the overall drft press conference, i would like to hear his answers versus the LBer coaches 90 second drop in the bucket.

ArlingtonTexan
04-27-2013, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't rule that out either.

Reggis Herring the LB coach did the "interview" on him. Montgomery is starting out at Lber

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-LB-coach-Reggie-Herring-press-conference/c7446007-1dc0-41ae-86ab-ef00408f407b

GP
04-27-2013, 10:42 AM
From that same article:

(on whether he saw any discrepancy in effort on Montgomery’s part in college) “No, actually he plays fast and he’s physical. I think if anything, the young man is guilty of being a little naive, and therefore the fact that he’s really an honest guy and tells you like it is and probably would tell you a lot more than he needs to tell you or open up and take all day talking to you. He’s a guy with a big personality and at the end of the day there’s not many players that would tell you something negative about themselves and not even know they’re doing it. And that’s just me talking to you right now. I’m probably trying to analyze what he told you at the combine or what you heard. He likes to talk.”

Seems the Texans actually valued his honesty in the combine interviews, even if his honesty didn't paint a nice picture of himself.

I think the lackluster tenure of Connor Barwin, his Bulls on Parade shenanigans, the letter jackets, etc., maybe Wade and Rick decided that it was time to venture into more turbulent waters with draft picks.

The defense outside of Watt and Manning in the last month of 2012 was lacking killer instinct. Swearinger and Montgomery can hopefully raise the intensity level.

At least with Montgomery, he's openly admitting his lack of consistency. Something Connor Barwin was guilty of but you'd never hear him admit it.

Maybe honesty is the best policy.

Playoffs
04-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Update on the strength coach's list:

Tommy Moffitt @TommyMoffitt
@ChaddScott The pic from office window is old news. These guys had all missed a class. Great kids and hard workers. #tigertough #LSU
8:22 AM - 29 Dec 2012

Chadd Scott @ChaddScott
for AM crowd WOW! RT @ScarboroughMike: window of LSU Strength coach @TommyMoffitt office in weight room. pic.twitter.com/FDSgytOS

So not as bad as it looked.

bckey
04-27-2013, 10:53 AM
from the article...

I think this is another case of drafting replacements. Hopkins was drafted to replace Walter and may eventually replace A.J. Swearinger may eventually replace Ed Reed. I feel that Montgomery will be groomed to replace Ninja.

I think he is too small to replace ninja on the dl unless they can bulk him up. LB seems like the place for Montgomery.

Fyler
04-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Idk our cap situation but Lloyd still being a free agent he would most likely take less money for a one year contract. We have Johnson and now Hopkins but If we added Lloyd we would have one of the best offenses next year. I been waiting to hear it happen but is there a reason why it hasn't? It would be a huge pickup and I think could lead to a Championship.

Brisco_County
04-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Update on the strength coach's list:

Tommy Moffitt @TommyMoffitt

Chadd Scott @ChaddScott

So not as bad as it looked.

It's important to consider Moffitt's comments on that picture. While he could just be back-peddling, it seems likely that it was just a motivation tactic. No college program is going to nuke a kids' NFL future because the kid missed some weight training sessions. The damage to the reputation of the program would severely affect recruiting.

Honoring Earl 34
04-27-2013, 11:41 AM
It's important to consider Moffitt's comments on that picture. While he could just be back-peddling, it seems likely that it was just a motivation tactic. No college program is going to nuke a kids' NFL future because the kid missed some weight training sessions. The damage to the reputation of the program would severely affect recruiting.

Yep ... dude would be fired for affecting recruits .

Quick II Draw
04-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Is Sam Montgomery better than Alex Okafor?

srrono
04-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Idk our cap situation but Lloyd still being a free agent he would most likely take less money for a one year contract. We have Johnson and now Hopkins but If we added Lloyd we would have one of the best offenses next year. I been waiting to hear it happen but is there a reason why it hasn't? It would be a huge pickup and I think could lead to a Championship.

Wrong section next time post in NFL section. As far as Lloyd he has been debated here quite offen. Texans will bring in a vet WR or two before training camp and see who sticks. Lloyd may be out of HOU price range,

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2013, 11:55 AM
from the article...

I think you're right but you're wrong. I think Montgomery replaces Barwin.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2013, 11:56 AM

I'm holding out hope that we still get Okafor, too.

Playoffs
04-27-2013, 12:02 PM

Some see him more as prototypical 4-3 DE.

drs23
04-27-2013, 12:27 PM
One of the main problems Montgomery is gonna have as a Texan is finding another jersey number. JJ MEGAWATT isn't coming off of that #99!

Other than that I think it could end up being a great pick but as always we'll all have to wait a while to see.

GP
04-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I think you're right but you're wrong. I think Montgomery replaces Barwin.

Nah. I think Herring is throwing us a red herring.

He says they're going to put Montgomery at OLB and see what happens, but I think he belongs as a bookend to JJ Watt. Antonio Smith disappeared in December, he was part of the problem with the death spiral we had across the board. A lot of fans will argue it, because of his popularity and persona, but he has to play a bigger GAME CHANGING ROLE than he has. He's getting tackles, he's getting pressures, but every year that ticks off is a year closer to his retirement. That's why Montgomery makes sense.

So, sure, Montgomery starts out at OLB...but he will be the successor to the Antonio Smith throne. I don't know what savings we could get from cutting Smith now, or cutting him next season, but if that frees up cap space...the Texans have no problem moving onward from Antonio Smith, and Montgomery--to me, from what I see--is a DL guy, not an OLB. Yes, we've used a bigger guy (Barwin) as an OLB, but I think Antonio's age, cap situation, and lack of consistency has urged the Texans to draft his successor. They cut Eric Winston, they can cut Antonio Smith too if they want to.

To not make waves with a veteran like Antonio Smith, who runs his mouth like crazy, you will say things such as "Montgomery will be an OLB," when you know full well that those plans are just that: Plans.

The more a coach talks about how he's going to use the new rookie, the more I tend to slough it off as coach speak. Wade said he was going to get Mercilus on the field in unique ways, and I don't think they did it to the extent they should have. Hopefully the lackluster 2012 performance will spur Wade and Herring And Joseph to let Montgomery and Swearinger see the field as much as possible. If they get hurt, they get hurt...you draft more next year. If they don't pan out, you want to know NOW...so that you can draft it again the next year.

I like the picks of Hopkins and Montgomery and Swearinger, but I am iffy on whether this team can utilize them like top draft picks should be utilized. Look, you drafted them in the highest tier of the draft, so USE THEM! Please.

Smokedawg
04-27-2013, 12:39 PM
This is a great pick! Mongo is first round talent. Yea he admitted taking off plays and games, but he is very honest and kinda a different personality. You can't blame him taking off games against towson and Idaho, he had a bad knee injury and why get hurt in a meaningless game.

In big games he showed up big time! 2 sacks against bama one in OT that sealed te game in 2011

2 sacks against south Carolina this year

Sack this year against bama

Sack in the sec champion game against Georgia

In the peach bowl this year, he crawled on the ground to sack taj Boyd. On a 3rd down that shouldve won the game if Eric Reid wouldn't have taken another bad angle on the 4th down.

Needless to say he is very emotional and determined when he is playing.

Hes a very high character guy, he is big into sonic the hedgehog because that was his brothers favorite game that passed away

IDEXAN
04-27-2013, 12:43 PM
The controversial Combine quote:

In a conference call with Houston media, Montgomery said his best quality is his relentlessness -- contradicting the idea that he didn’t give his all against teams like North Texas, Idaho and Towson.
Idaho is a powerhouse, you just can't let up for a moment agaisnt those monsters of the Northern Rockies.
OK, but I'm still trying to figure out what this guy did or even said that's so controversial ? He's a bit of a joker with an off-of-the-wall sense of humor, but beyond that what's the problem ?

mariowillshine15
04-27-2013, 01:01 PM
RB- Lattimore, Franklin

WR-Rogers, Patton, Swope

They may not be needs but the value is high.

oops wrong thread

Vance87
04-27-2013, 01:43 PM
His physical makeup reminds me of Mario. Seems to have more fire based on the videos I've seen though.

thunderkyss
04-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Not to mention he won't be asked to play every down. When he does get his chances I'm sure he'll be going balls to the wall.

I think the biggest difference between now & 2006, is that we are positioned to do something special... win a championship.

Ballers want to be part of that. A big part. If he's a baller, we'll find out. If not... we'll find that out as well.

What I like about this draft, so far, is that we don't need Montgomery to be a baller. We need either Montgomery, Mercilus, Trevardo, Brahman, or Brooks to be a baller. & they'll all get their chance.

Fili
04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Definitely seeing us sign a vet but he's too pricey.

htowntexans1985
04-27-2013, 07:10 PM
This worries me when one of your coaches goes out of his way to put you on blast to the NFL. Hopefully he matures.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BI5H5O0CMAAYJHo.jpg

GP
04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Well, Montgomery is OUR guy now. So I'm going to wait and see, but I have a feeling this will be nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Mario Williams and David Carr were workout and training camp warriors, and when it came to Sundays they were not exactly all that dominating of their opponents.

I have seen Montgomery's highlights, and he has a high motor. If THAT is taking plays off, then I'll take his brand of effort.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
This worries me when one of your coaches goes out of his way to put you on blast to the NFL. Hopefully he matures.

He already has.

He missed a workout. The strength coach put that up. And then he didn't miss any workouts from then on.

Vinny
04-27-2013, 07:19 PM
As long as he doesn't go all Roycewhite on us....

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Got to look at the bright side. At least he has never been arrested for anything and he has never been suspended from LSU for any thing.

TexansCountry
04-27-2013, 07:52 PM

No I bleed burnt orange. There were a lot of games I watched oka for just take over. I really wanted him

ObsiWan
04-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Got to look at the bright side. At least he has never been arrested for anything and he has never been suspended from LSU for any thing.
...and given the history LSU has with guys that get into trouble, that's saying something.

Thorn
04-27-2013, 08:01 PM
I've read stuff on this kid both good and bad, so for the time being I'm just going to be watchful of him. My misgivings about him don't seem to go away though. Maybe the other players and our coaches can turn him away from the Dark Side.

ATXtexanfan
04-28-2013, 01:05 AM

Yes

Brisco_County
04-28-2013, 06:01 AM

This is not a serious sign. Half of recruiting is the school's record on getting kids to the NFL. Discouraging scouts from evaluating players runs absolutely contrary to the interest of all parties.

Brandon420tx
04-28-2013, 08:10 AM
It's obviously a motivational tool. For one thing the list of names is printed on a separate sheet of paper. I'm guessing that sign gets alot of use every year and after your name is printed on that paper once you make the effort to keep it off. I think people are making too big of a deal about this and his combine interview. The guy obviously wants to play football and as far as positive environments for defensive players go. Houston has to be ranked right up there near the top.

Rey
04-28-2013, 01:45 PM
It's obviously a motivational tool. For one thing the list of names is printed on a separate sheet of paper. I'm guessing that sign gets alot of use every year and after your name is printed on that paper once you make the effort to keep it off. I think people are making too big of a deal about this and his combine interview. The guy obviously wants to play football and as far as positive environments for defensive players go. Houston has to be ranked right up there near the top.

I was about to say the exact same thing.

thunderkyss
04-28-2013, 09:34 PM
He already has.

He missed a workout. The strength coach put that up. And then he didn't miss any workouts from then on.

I'm glad he did it... otherwise, some other team would be talking about their plans for Sam Montgomery. Instead, we got him & we got him cheap.

Playoffs
05-23-2013, 05:54 PM
@MarkBermanFox26:

Texans reach contract agreement with OLB Sam Montgomery, second pick in the third round from LSU.

Playoffs
07-22-2013, 06:03 PM
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Let the speculation begin on Montgomery.

Texans also placed Sam Montgomery on non-football injury list

Typical reason for that is if a player gets hurt outside of playing football

AngryNateFTW
07-22-2013, 06:20 PM
PDS ‏@PatDStat

Typical reason for that is if a player gets hurt outside of playing football

Weird. Sam just posted on his twitter like 12 hours ago that he found himself working out extra. Can't really work out if you're hurt... :confused:

AngryNateFTW
07-22-2013, 06:24 PM
23 hours ago..

Montgomery tweeted..

I find myself working out again o well turn up

CloakNNNdagger
07-22-2013, 06:48 PM
23 hours ago..

Montgomery tweeted..

That gives him 23 hours to have stepped in a hole................the same hole that our rookie safety Orhian Johnson must have stepped in..................:kitten:

TexansRule1
07-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Tania Ganguli of the Chronicle tweeted...

"#Texans didn't comment on Montgomery, but word is he reported out of shape. They hope to have him Friday."

BullBlitz
07-22-2013, 08:00 PM

"#Texans didn't comment on Montgomery, but word is he reported out of shape. They hope to have him Friday."

Hmm. Early indications are that this isn't someone we can bet on to be of much help, at least not immediately.

AngryNateFTW
07-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Hmm...

Texn4life
07-22-2013, 08:03 PM
I've been backing the pick of Sam but its unacceptable to report to camp out of shape. He really needs to start figuring out what it means to be a Pro ASAP.

Playoffs
07-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Not For Long, Sam ..... not for long. :mariopalm:

CloakNNNdagger
07-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Surprised??

From a Combine interview:

“You know, some weeks when we didn’t have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed,” he said.

“But when we had the big boys coming in — the Bamas or the South Carolinas — I grabbed close to those guys and went all-out.”

Montgomery had been showing up in the late first round of some mock drafts, but his stock could fall some after coaches find out he admitted to being kind of lazy on certain Saturdays.link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lsu-t-happy-hear-sam-montgomery-said-took-152908222--ncaaf.html)

Sam Montgomery, Spencer Ware, Other LSU Football Players Called Out by Athletic Department to NFL Scouts for Laziness (http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/sam_montgomery_spencer_ware_other_lsu_football_pla yers_called_out_by_athletic_department_to_nfl_scou ts_for_laziness/12237910)

Someone in the LSU athletic department has a cross to bare with ten LSU football players. There was a note left outside of the LSU athletic department offices that read: “Attention NFL Scouts: ‘The Following athletes miss workouts and always have an excuse. These men lack the self discipline and the motivation to take care of their responsibilities. I will not answer questions regarding their performance numbers or character as they care only about themselves.” The names listed were redshirt freshman offensive tackle Jonah Austin, sophomore guard La’el Collins, junior wide receiver James Wright, junior running back Spencer Ware, sophomore defensive tackle Anthony Johnson, sophomore safety Micah Eugene, freshman cornerback Dwayne Thomas, junior cornerback Tharold Simon, freshman linebacker Kwon Alexander and junior defensive end Sam Montgomery. Only Wright, Ware, Simon and Montgomery are NFL draft eligible.

The above wasn't strictly for "motivation"..........it was for laziness.

Brett
07-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I've met the guy and also have friends in the LSU football program, and they have assured me he does not have a work ethic issue. Rookies show up out of shape to camp all the time because they are not used to NFL standards. It's not like he sat on the couch eating cheetos all summer. Calm down people.

SteveSlaton20
07-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Surprised??

From a Combine interview:

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lsu-t-happy-hear-sam-montgomery-said-took-152908222--ncaaf.html)

The above wasn't strictly for "motivation"..........it was for laziness.

This is why I would've gone with Okafor.

CloakNNNdagger
07-22-2013, 09:20 PM
I've met the guy and also have friends in the LSU football program, and they have assured me he does not have a work ethic issue. Rookies show up out of shape to camp all the time because they are not used to NFL standards. It's not like he sat on the couch eating cheetos all summer. Calm down people.

What? He couldn't FIND the Cheetos? :wadepalm:

Rookies may come to rookie orientation, minicamps and OTAs out of shape. But by the time TC comes around, they know exactly what is expected of them.

Maybe if Montgomery hasn't been able to understand NFL standards by now, he should have stayed at LSU and taken a couple more English courses.

beerlover
07-22-2013, 09:34 PM
It's going to be a long, hot August for Mr Montgomery. Plenty of time to shred it all away & build it back up with better nutrition, become the weight coach pet, haul the pads & equipment back/forth from lockers to field & back again. In fact I think we can safely say "it will not be a problem for him to reach playing weight condition" coming into camp with a bullseye on his back.:fingergun:

Brett
07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
What? He couldn't FIND the Cheetos? :wadepalm:

Rookies may come to rookie orientation, minicamps and OTAs out of shape. But by the time TC comes around, they know exactly what is expected of them.

Maybe if Montgomery hasn't been able to understand NFL standards by now, he should have stayed at LSU and taken a couple more English courses.

Jacoby Jones checked in "out of shape" and he sure was an active guy this off season. The guy didn't kill anyone, calm down.

Playoffs
07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Rookies show up out of shape to camp all the time because they are not used to NFL standards. It's not like he sat on the couch eating cheetos all summer.

No, he was here for workouts begin on April 15, OTAs on May 20-21, 23 and 28-30 and June 3-6, and mandatory mini-camp from June 11-13. Showing up at this point unable to pass the conditioning test is akin to saying the dog ate my homework.

Word to the wise...this is not the group of players you want to be known as a part of (https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/359446733073285121).

Brett
07-22-2013, 09:58 PM
No, he was here for workouts begin on April 15, OTAs on May 20-21, 23 and 28-30 and June 3-6, and mandatory mini-camp from June 11-13. Showing up at this point unable to pass the conditioning test is akin to saying the dog ate my homework.

Word to the wise...this is not the group of players you want to be known as a part of (https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/359446733073285121).

It's really not as big a deal as you are making it. This happens all the time, and he'll be back on Friday.

thunderkyss
07-22-2013, 10:16 PM
It's really not as big a deal as you are making it. This happens all the time, and he'll be back on Friday.

Shouldn't happen to a 3rd round pick with a real opportunity to start in the NFL.

drs23
07-22-2013, 10:39 PM

At least he's consistent. That's kinda been a knock on him from day 1 and his collegiate time. Kubes will beat "learn to be a PRO" into him or he won't survive.

Rey
07-23-2013, 10:50 AM

I think we'll have to wait and see. Some guys just don't work out well, but they are still great players.

Some guys don't work out well, and they suck because of it.

You have to be in some level of shape to play football and if Montgomery wants to play for an NFL team he needs to be at whatever minimum level the team sets. Brandon Brooks got it...Now he needs to get it.

Although I've acknowledged that some guys play good whether they are built like a stone carving or like a twinkie, I'd rather have guys in tip top shape because I believe they will even further enhance their performance.

So while it might not be a big deal...It kind of is. This is his profession now. He's getting paid a lot to do this. This shouldn't be an afterthought for him. Staying in shape and not showing up ready to go is not getting off on the right foot.

badboy
07-23-2013, 10:59 AM
You guys need to simmer down & let him do what he wants. signed Trevardo Williams.

thunderkyss
07-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I'd like a little more info on what "out of shape" meant.

Is this the Texans putting their thumb on a guy they think might be a problem? Nip it in the bud kinda thing?

Or has he been hitting the spam & rice a little too hard?

HOU-TEX
07-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Is this the Texans putting their thumb on a guy they think might be a problem? Nip it in the bud kinda thing?

Or has he been hitting the spam & rice a little too hard?

I'm not sure if we know the exact reason as to why he was put on the NFI list. Speculation at this point.

And, eww on the spam

Playoffs
07-23-2013, 12:15 PM

He was put on the non-football injury list. There's two possibilities for this:

1) He has a non-football related injury, or
2) He did not pass the team's conditioning test.

A conditioning test is typically a group of timed wind-sprints.

Texn4life
07-23-2013, 12:33 PM
I hope its just a situation of his back keeping him from working out like he needed to over the summer. He's a very engaging guy and I want him to succeed. The thing is some guys just don't get it when it comes to preparation and keeping themselves in peak condition all the time. Andre comes off as the kind of guy who would never have a condition problem if you tested him at any point in the offseason. It would be nice to sit back 5 years from now and laugh at all the speculation, but none of us know what's going to happen or what drives this guy.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I hope its just a situation of his back keeping him from working out like he needed to over the summer. He's a very engaging guy and I want him to succeed. The thing is some guys just don't get it when it comes to preparation and keeping themselves in peak condition all the time. Andre comes off as the kind of guy who would never have a condition problem if you tested him at any point in the offseason. It would be nice to sit back 5 years from now and laugh at all the speculation, but none of us know what's going to happen or what drives this guy.

If you remember, Montgomery originally came into rookie mini-camp "out of shape," then subsequently surfaced with the back problem. I would almost rather have heard that he was lazy, which may or may not be correctable, rather than find out for whatever reason he has developed a lingering back problem ala Shaun Cody............which could have been brought about by an initial "laziness."

thunderkyss
07-23-2013, 12:54 PM

So we're most likely over reacting.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Jacoby Jones checked in "out of shape" and he sure was an active guy this off season. The guy didn't kill anyone, calm down.

Now THERE'S a fine example of maturity!:kubepalm:

Texn4life
07-23-2013, 01:03 PM
If you remember, Montgomery originally came into rookie mini-camp "out of shape," then subsequently surfaced with the back problem. I would almost rather have heard that he was lazy, which may or may not be correctable, rather than find out for whatever reason he has developed a lingering back problem ala Shaun Cody............which could have been brought about by an initial "laziness."

You're right and being a doctor I'm sure you know which would be the lesser of 2 evils in this case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if its not a chronic issue and just a tweak that he suffered it should essentially be a non-issue moving forward right?

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
You're right and being a doctor I'm sure you know which would be the lesser of 2 evils in this case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if its not a chronic issue and just a tweak that he suffered it should essentially be a non-issue moving forward right?

Correct. However, the least bit of inattention to being totally in shape can cause, create chronicity of that problem, and promote progression to more serious back problems. Remember that many disc problems begin with weakened muscles meant to support the alignment of the vertebrae. Once misalignment occurs, not far behind come the serious disc problems. Muscles spasms should be considered equivalent to the canary in the coal mine. Keeping in shape is not an option for an NFL player that hopes to stay in one piece during an entire season. It's hard enough to do so when you put everything you have into it.

Playoffs
07-23-2013, 02:15 PM

On 610 SportsRadio they just said Texans do not have a conditioning test...

HOU-TEX
07-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Welp, there's the reason we fall apart towards the end the season. :hides:

:sarcasm:

I do think they have specific weights they're supposed to maintain.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2013, 02:30 PM

As I wrote in the "Ratliff" thread, conditioning tests the way they are used are essentially worthless.

Rey
07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
The Texans obviously take being in shape seriously. They just cut Harris for not being in shape. They publicized Brooks weight woes...And now this...

Shape up guys.

thunderkyss
07-23-2013, 03:55 PM
The Texans obviously take being in shape seriously. They just cut Harris for not being in shape. They publicized Brooks weight woes...And now this...

Shape up guys.

Had me worried there for a minute... thought you were talking about Brandon Harris.

The Texans (http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/texans-place-montgomery-nfi-cut-harris) also made some other moves on Monday, releasing defensive tackle Ra'Shon "Sunny" Harris, who was injured this spring. They also placed rookie defensive end Earl Okine on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform List.

drs23
07-23-2013, 03:55 PM
As I wrote in the "Ratliff" thread, conditioning tests the way they are used are essentially worthless.

Unless you're Big Shanny lookin' for a way to punish Fat Albert. Hey, Hey, Hey :D

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Shape up guys.

That triceps tear may have been the problem. It was never characterized as to tendon, muscle, musculo-tendinous, or tendon to bone tear........nor as to complete or partial. Most of the aforementioned tears can be expected to heal after rehab and after surgery both. But some, especially a significant percentage of those treated by rehab only fail and never regain pre-injury strength, or go on to re-injury or ultimately to surgery. There was no mention of Harris having undergone surgery following his tear. If he has had lingering problems with the triceps, upper body mass and strength would be very difficult to regain or maintain, accounting for an "out of shape" appearance. Furthermore, a nose tackle would be essentially worthless without being able to maintain strong triceps.

badboy
07-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Had me worried there for a minute... thought you were talking about Brandon Harris.

Me too. I just broke a fingernail (J/K) googling.

Playoffs
07-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Consider the source, but...

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Texans, 3rd-rd picks off to slow start... LB Sam Montgomery woefully out of shape.

drs23
07-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Consider the source, but...

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Well, guess I gotta go with Pancakes on this one. After all, takes one to know one, eh? :kitten:

HOU-TEX
07-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Hmm, dude better get his crap straight. The Kubiak doghouse lasts a long time

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 3m
Swearinger said he told Sam Montgomery to "step it up" after Sam landed on "the list" added that its disappointing.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Then there's this...

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant 4m
@JJWatt talked to Sam Montgomery. He has a lot of talent. "We'll get him right." #Texans

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant 4m
@JJWatt talked to Sam Montgomery. He has a lot of talent. "We'll get him right." #Texans

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Nobody's going to get him right. He's the only one that can do that. You would think that he would have done that by now.........but he hasn't. Indeed, very disappointing.

Rey
07-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Hmm, dude better get his crap straight. The Kubiak doghouse lasts a long time

I like that Swearinger is already comfortable telling guys to step up...

As far as Montgomery goes, this isn't a great sign. Sounds like he has some maturing to do.

It's not like the coaches checking to see if he's in good shape is a pop quiz.

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Back during the draft when that Strength coach's note talking about selfish players who weren't working hard was passed around, I didn't pay that much mind. From what I'd heard, Montgomery missed a single workout and the guy put that up there. But, from what I'd heard, Montgomery hadn't missed any workouts since then.

BUT.

This is very troubling.

I expect the leaders of our team to light a fire under this guy's ass but it's still very troubling.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2013, 03:39 PM
I like that Swearinger is already comfortable telling guys to step up...

As far as Montgomery goes, this isn't a great sign. Sounds like he has some maturing to do.

It's not like the coaches checking to see if he's in good shape is a pop quiz.

Yup, and that's bad news for him from what I've gathered over Kubiak's tenure. Foster didn't see the field until the end of the season. A season where our running game was horrible. Hope he's able to get his mind right. Otherwise, we can scratch him off the depth chart for most of this year.

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Yup, and that's bad news for him from what I've gathered over Kubiak's tenure. Foster didn't see the field until the end of the season. A season where our running game was horrible. Hope he's able to get his mind right. Otherwise, we can scratch him off the depth chart for most of this year.

I was expecting a 4-man OLB rotation with Reed and Williams on the strong side and Mercilus and Montgomery on the weak.

But now... I'm expecting a 3-man OLB rotation with Williams backing up both strong and weak... unless Braman steps up.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2013, 03:45 PM
I was expecting a 4-man OLB rotation with Reed and Williams on the strong side and Mercilus and Montgomery on the weak.

But now... I'm expecting a 3-man OLB rotation with Williams backing up both strong and weak... unless Braman steps up.

Agreed. I painted a pretty bleak picture. There's a very good chance he gets right quick, but it's not looking great.

I've heard some very good things about this Jefferson cat. He'll be one of my key focuses throughout camp.

Rey
07-25-2013, 03:49 PM
I think Braman was already ahead of those guys unless they proved to be better. When Reed was playing inside, Braman was starting outside.

I always expected Braman to be in the rotation this year unless the two rookies proved to be really good.

thunderkyss
07-25-2013, 05:15 PM
We've got very little information about what the actual issue was. We're letting our imaginations run wild here.

This just might be a little push saying, "We know you've got what it takes to be great, we need you to be great this year."

What he's been doing so far could have been great for 80% of the teams in the league for all we know & we're just telling him we expect better.

Rey
07-25-2013, 05:34 PM
We've got very little information about what the actual issue was. We're letting our imaginations run wild here.

We don't know for sure, but we have several reports of him not being in good enough shape and then we have three teammates coming out and not only not denying those reports, but making comments that seem to support it's validity.

You have Swearinger saying that Montgomery is on the "list" and that he basically told him to get it in gear...You have Watt saying something about helping him get his stuff together...And then Antonio comments that it's better than it happened now rather than later.

I think at this point it's pretty much confirmed that he was not in shape.

SW H-TOWN
07-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Back during the draft when that Strength coach's note talking about selfish players who weren't working hard was passed around, I didn't pay that much mind. From what I'd heard, Montgomery missed a single workout and the guy put that up there. But, from what I'd heard, Montgomery hadn't missed any workouts since then.

BUT.

This is very troubling.

I expect the leaders of our team to light a fire under this guy's ass but it's still very troubling.

Yep...

thunderkyss
07-25-2013, 05:58 PM
We don't know for sure, but we have several reports of him not being in good enough shape...

The only report I've seen saying he was out of shape was one from McCain. The guy with less access to the Texans than Bud Adams.

Then someone else posted here that the Texans don't even use a "conditioning" test.

and then we have three teammates coming out and not only not denying those reports, but making comments that seem to support it's validity.

You have Swearinger saying that Montgomery is on the "list" and that he basically told him to get it in gear...You have Watt saying something about helping him get his stuff together...And then Antonio comments that it's better than it happened now rather than later.

True, I'm still trying to figure that out.

I think at this point it's pretty much confirmed that he was not in shape.

You ever hear of anyone described as "hard-headed"?

That's me. Not dumb, not slow, but a severe distrust of anyone not me.

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2013, 06:29 PM
As I've said before conditioning tests are usually worthless. We are not the only team that doesn't use formal conditioning tests. Some only use them if you've missed OTAs and mini-camps. Many are given in air conditioning. Most that are given, are performed without pads and other equipment. Physicians and trained personnel can pretty well tell if a player is in or out of shape upon basic examination and testing that does not entail so-called formal "conditioning tests."

BTW, I would trust John McClain to be a connoisseur of recognizing:D "out of shape."

paycheck71
07-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Reactivated off the PUP list. Didn't take long.

James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Rookies OT Brennan Williams and OLB Sam Montgomery have been activated off of the PUP and non football injury lists respectively #texanstalk

drs23
07-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Reactivated off the PUP list. Didn't take long.

Quote:
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Rookies OT Brennan Williams and OLB Sam Montgomery have been activated off of the PUP and non football injury lists respectively #texanstalk

So this means Brennan Williams is cleared for contact drills after his scope about 3 weeks ago?

Does this mean now that we'll see a full blown big boy cat fight for RT from the beginning by two guys that are recovering from surgery?

Does that time frame sound legit Doc? Cush fully recovered from his patella tendon surgery with no set backs but I don't recall the time frame.

thunderkyss
07-26-2013, 07:46 PM
So this means Brennan Williams is cleared for contact drills after his scope about 3 weeks ago?

According to quotes in the Training camp thread, looks like Brennan is going to kick somebody's a55 if they don't let him play tomorrow.

Also sounds as if Montgomery "appears" fit & this "out of shape" stuff was mental mind-tricks. All the comments from Jj & Antonio and all sounds as if the whole defense read his draft report & are on the same page

Playoffs
07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Montgomery said his issue was caused by poor eating .... Whataburger, Taco Bell, etc.

Williams comment I think was tongue in cheek.

Vance87
07-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Montgomery said his issue was caused by poor eating .... Whataburger, Taco Bell, etc.

Crap. I had no idea that food was bad for you. Well now that I know...:kitten:

thunderkyss
07-26-2013, 08:22 PM

Again, he was put on the list, then taken off the list.... what did he do, starve himself & sweat off the water weight?

From the training camp thread

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 15m

He tweeked ankle a bit, held out for part of practice. Surprised he looks fitter than at OTAs -- Report on how Montgomery looks

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Sam Montgomery looked like he was in pretty good shape. Rolled his ankle a little bit but rejoined the team shortly after. #TexansTalk

I don't think there was a real "out of shape" issue? I mean if it could be corrected in one afternoon, how bad could it have been?

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Quote:
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN

Does this mean now that we'll see a full blown big boy cat fight for RT from the beginning by two guys that are recovering from surgery?

Does that time frame sound legit Doc? Cush fully recovered from his patella tendon surgery with no set backs but I don't recall the time frame.

Sorry, drs..........I accidentally placed the answer to your post in the Montgomery thread. William's surgery was NOT only 3 weeks ago.

Here is you answer to the Williams question and the Cushing question (which I believe you asked in the context of Newton [it wasn't clear]):

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2185438&postcount=100

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Again, he was put on the list, then taken off the list.... what did he do, starve himself & sweat off the water weight?

From the training camp thread

I don't think there was a real "out of shape" issue? I mean if it could be corrected in one afternoon, how bad could it have been?

Tape does wonders..........temporarily.........

drs23
07-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Sorry, drs..........I accidentally placed the answer to your post in the Montgomery thread. William's surgery was NOT only 3 weeks ago.

Here is you answer to the Williams question and the Cushing question (which I believe you asked in the context of Newton [it wasn't clear]):

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2185438&postcount=100

I caught it over there Doc, thanks, and sorry for not being so clear as to my question.

TejasTom
07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Tape does wonders..........temporarily.........

They should have used duct tape. :)

thetexanator
07-29-2013, 11:29 AM

his body is his livelihood. hope this guy ends up being worth the pick, but dang so far.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2013, 03:28 PM
After the Texans have been waffling on Montgomery's ankle injury again being a minor sprain, when I saw him in a boot the next day, I stated that it was either a serious ankle sprain or most likely a high ankle sprain. Rich Lord on 610 this past few minutes stated that Kubiak has now for the first time confirmed that Montgomery is dealing with a high ankle sprain.

76Texan
08-02-2013, 05:28 PM
After the Texans have been waffling on Montgomery's ankle injury again being a minor sprain, when I saw him in a boot the next day, I stated that it was either a serious ankle sprain or most likely a high ankle sprain. Rich Lord on 610 this past few minutes stated that Kubiak has now for the first time confirmed that Montgomery is dealing with a high ankle sprain.

Why did they him off the boot, Doc?

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Why did they him off the boot, Doc?

I can't be entirely sure. Boots are not usually used for Grade I run of the mill LATERAL ankle sprains. Those can usually rely on ankle taping and/or bracing. Boots are usually reserved for more serious Grade II or III lateral ankle sprains or high ankle sprains where total rest and support is desired for varying periods of time. With moderate lateral sprains, the boot may be removed relatively early to begin rehab strengthening. With high ankle sprains, there is usually a significantly longer "rest" and protective period. Of course, Montgomery is so far behind, the Texans certainly had to have been worried that they were running out of time to make him a functional part of this season. Could they be pushing him beyond the recommended schedule, hoping against odds? Would that surprise you?

Texian
08-02-2013, 10:14 PM
The old high ankle sprain, at this point I think Sam Montgomery has a better chance of making IR than he does the 53 man roster. Currently Sam is 3 deep on the depth chart and is not climbing up anytime to soon.

Depth Chart: http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthcharts.aspx

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2013, 01:43 AM
The old high ankle sprain, at this point I think Sam Montgomery has a better chance of making IR than he does the 53 man roster. Currently Sam is 3 deep on the depth chart and is not climbing up anytime to soon.

Depth Chart: http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthcharts.aspx

I wouldn't put much faith in that depth chart.

They've got Ryan Harris as the backup LT when I think he's in the running for the RT spot right now and at the very least the #2 RT. No way Brennan Williams is the #2 RT with the amount of time he's missed.

And with the WRs, it's kind of a mess. They should have a separate spot for the slot receivers. If I were to rank the WRs, I think they go more like this:

1. AJ
2. Hopkins
3. Keshawn Martin - Slot
4. Lestar Jean - AJ Backup
5. Devier Posey - Hopkins Backup
6. Alan Bonner - Slot?
7. Jeff Maehl

The way they've got it set up, it looks like Martin is the #5 or #6 receiver and on par with Bonner. I don't think that's accurate.

thunderkyss
08-03-2013, 08:29 AM
1. AJ
2. Hopkins
3. Keshawn Martin - Slot
4. Lestar Jean - AJ Backup
5. Devier Posey - Hopkins Backup
6. Alan Bonner - Slot?
7. Jeff Maehl

The way they've got it set up, it looks like Martin is the #5 or #6 receiver and on par with Bonner. I don't think that's accurate.

I think we're saying the same thing, but they way I see it is

1. Andre - Posey - LeStar
2. DeAndre - LeStar - Maehl
4. Keshawn - Bonner

Texian
08-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't put much faith in that depth chart.

I do have faith in ourlads.com depth charts. They're about as good as they get, constantly updated on daily basis. Nobody does a better job. To stay up to date and better informed follow Dan Shonka on twitter https://twitter.com/Ourlads_Shonka for the latest up to date depth charts in the NFL.

I should add they get their info directly from NFL teams and the NFL.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2013, 09:29 AM
From the two lists above, I come away at this point with reservations on 2 players on the list.

From what I've seen in past seasons and heard during the offseason and TC, Jean (as much as I've always had high hopes for him) is still trying to catch many of the balls thrown to him with his body instead of his hands........and as such is still dropping balls that he shouldn't.

As far as Posey, he showed great potential at the end of last season before his Achilles. However, I would be very guarded on depending on him to "functionally" return early in the season.....or expecting to see the Posey we are wanting to see until at least before the end of the season, if we see that Posey ever again. An Achilles can be much more tested in a WR than a RB (as well as other positions), in that explosiveness and stresses on the healing tendon must be "maxed" as a WR more than a RB...........with additional forceful high velocity moves of stop and go (slower for a RB).........and fast cut-backs towards the QB (a move not really required by a RB). This is not to even mention the explosiveness necessary to repeatedly jumping high..............and having to sustain the hard and sudden impacts (extreme stress on the Achilles) when coming back down.

steelbtexan
08-03-2013, 10:14 AM
I think we're saying the same thing, but they way I see it is

1. Andre - Posey - LeStar
2. DeAndre - LeStar - Maehl
4. Keshawn - Bonner

I've heard that Nwhateverachu is looking very good in camp. He has speed to burn. he's atleast a PS candidate.

IDEXAN
08-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Obviously if a players general physical conditioning is poor it increases his exposure to injury, and therefor the Texans have got to be very disappointed in Montgomery and may be less inclined to take another guy with his kind of issues, or atleast not invest a third round pick in such a prospect.

RipTraxx
08-05-2013, 12:57 PM
The more i read about this guy the more i doubt he makes the 53 man roster......:/

2002whitegt
08-05-2013, 03:07 PM
The more i read about this guy the more i doubt he makes the 53 man roster......:/

No way they cut a 3rd round pick. Would be placed on IR before being cut.

Texian
08-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Based on the fact that most teams had taken Montgomery off their draft boards there is a very good chance he would pass through waivers and could then be signed to the practice squad. That would give him a year to see if he can get his priorities straight.

infantrycak
08-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Based on the fact that most teams had taken Montgomery off their draft boards there is a very good chance he would pass through waivers and could then be signed to the practice squad. That would give him a year to see if he can get his priorities straight.

Got some support for that most teams assertion?

Texian
08-05-2013, 10:41 PM

Basically going off what Mayock said after Montgomery was drafted. I understand some don't consider Mayock as gospel but he does have more contacts than most and many teams and scouts are calling him for information. And Mayock would not have said it if it wasn't true. You just don't make up stuff like that and say it on TV. That's my support.

76Texan
08-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Montgomery is known to march to his own drums, the way Foster did.

It's the Texans gain if Sam can get healthy soon.
IMO, he's second round talent.

Similarly, I thought of Foster as second round talent.
He was better than Montario Hardesty when they played together (but didn't have the number to show.)

Texian
08-06-2013, 01:48 PM

A little more support:

4-26-2013
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 1h

Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.

infantrycak
08-06-2013, 01:50 PM
And you honestly think that is anything? That looks like LZ slapping himself in the face.

NCTexan
08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
I've heard that Nwhateverachu is looking very good in camp. He has speed to burn. he's atleast a PS candidate.

I want him to become a decent player cause I want that jersey.

:kitten:

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2013, 02:17 PM
A little more support:

4-26-2013
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 1h

Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.

Personally, I thought it was Zierlein who didn't have all the info there.

According to what was out and around at the time, LZ seemed to be basing his assessment on 2 things.

1 -- A picture of a note the LSU S&C coach had put in his window chastising some players who had skipped a workout. ONE workout.

2 -- An interview where Montgomery said that when he was at LSU, he didn't respect the weaker teams and didn't prepare as hard to play them. He also said in that interview that you can't do that in the NFL.

When you look at the tape of Montgomery, he wasn't a guy who slacked off on the field. He did appear to have a slow get-off but that was because of what he was being asked to do in most cases. When he wasn't reading the tackle and could key on the ball, he was fine.

LZ and some other people blew those two things (along with the lack of get-off) into a big thing about him not being a hardworker and not being motivated. But that's not how I read those things at all.

He's got to get on the field, though. His being out of shape coming into the OTAs and Camp is kinda damning, though. JJ, Cush, and the Ninja should get him turned around.

Texian
08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
And you honestly think that is anything? That looks like LZ slapping himself in the face.

I'm not sure there is anything I could post that would satisfy your request for support. Personally I don't know why Mayock and Zierlein would lie or make up something like that. Say one did, but both??? Of course I am not in denial.

Playoffs
08-06-2013, 02:45 PM
“The ankle feels pretty good,” Montgomery said. “I’m doing drops, doing cuts, doing sprints, getting out of stances and everything I can normally. It’s a little sore at times but still I push through it and get better every day.”
“Honestly, I feel like I’m right there with the team,” Montgomery said. “You know, I come out there every day with my notepad, my book and I take a lot of mental reps, write down everything, do what I’m supposed to do and I take advantage of every last opportunity I’m given.”
“It was just a whole thing of being a pro, learning how to get out there and how to get yourself better without even being in the plays,” he said. “Ed Reed does such a great job of it; a lot of older guys helped me out. It’s helping make me into a pro.”
“Well, you know, in life there is a lot of adversity,” Montgomery said. “Every man or woman has to conquer adversity in life. I believe that’s one of the things that helps you grow into a man or a woman. I just believe that I’m writing my history right here of what kind of guy I am and what kind of player I’m going to be.”http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/montgomery-returns-says-he%E2%80%99s-better-player

Still waiting for the 1st Chapter, Sonic.

Texian
08-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Personally, I thought it was Zierlein who didn't have all the info there.

It appears that Lance was simply reporting what his source was telling him. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't know if the source gave Lance all the information about SM and the reasons why they took him off their draft board. If the source did Lance probably used good sense and didn't splatter it all over twitter. You can always contact Lance and ask him.

infantrycak
08-06-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure there is anything I could post that would satisfy your request for support. Personally I don't know why Mayock and Zierlein would lie or make up something like that. Say one did, but both??? Of course I am not in denial.

Look, I don't care if this kid ever plays a down for the Texans. I just don't think Mayock or LZ know the draft boards of multiple teams especially below the 2nd round. I'm sorry but they simply don't know about these down the chart players and if they pretend to they are pumping themselves up.

Texian
08-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Look, I don't care if this kid ever plays a down for the Texans. I just don't think Mayock or LZ know the draft boards of multiple teams especially below the 2nd round. I'm sorry but they simply don't know about these down the chart players and if they pretend to they are pumping themselves up.

Look you were the one who asked for me to corroborate my post, I provided more than one and you choose not to believe either. This much I do know, Mayock & Zielein have better contacts and inside information than anyone on this board, including you, so pardon me if I choose to believe Mayock & Zierlein. They may not know every teams complete draft board but they do know plenty of people who do and confide in them. And like I said before why would they lie? and I am not the one suffering from denial here. There is an old saying, don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer.

thunderkyss
08-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Nothing against Mayock & Zeirline, but I think you're right. They may have pretty good knowledge about the game & the players, & maybe some insight about what teams are looking for.

But I don't think their grades are the Gospel a lot of people think they are. It's impossible to make one list that matches all 32 teams with any usable accuracy.

thunderkyss
08-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Look you were the one who asked for me to corroborate my post, I provided more than one and you choose not to believe either. This much I do know, Mayock & Zielein have better contacts and inside information than anyone on this board, including you, so pardon me if I choose to believe Mayock & Zierlein. They may not know every teams complete draft board but they do know plenty of people who do and confide in them. And like I said before why would they lie? and I am not the one suffering from denial here. There is an old saying, don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer.

I've seen several players with work ethic issues. I've seen several players with serious developmental needs. But I've never seen a player completely off every teams draft board for something as silly as what we've seen.

Unless there's a mountain of evidence that Mayock & Zierline are witholding, it just doesn't make sense.

Why would they lie? Because they heard one or two teams had taken him off their board, maybe a dozen... either way, it's a big story, so they ran it.

Not really a lie per se, just over emphasis on a particular thing.

Texian
08-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Nothing against Mayock & Zeirline, but I think you're right. They may have pretty good knowledge about the game & the players, & maybe some insight about what teams are looking for.

But I don't think their grades are the Gospel a lot of people think they are. It's impossible to make one list that matches all 32 teams with any usable accuracy.

I think you're missing the point here, in both instances with Mayock and Zierlein, it was not a compiled list or anything that they had individually done. Both Mayock and Zierlein said their contacts (source) told them that their teams had taken Montgomery off their draft boards. In the case of Mayock his comment was most and with Zierlein it was one. I still don't know why they would lie about something like this. ????

Texian
08-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I've seen several players with work ethic issues. I've seen several players with serious developmental needs.

Imagine how many more players you will have seen when you're 60. :)

Texian
08-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Anyone know if Montgomery has gotten off the line of scrimmage yet?:clown:

HOU-TEX
08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Anyone know if Montgomery has gotten off the line of scrimmage yet?:clown:

Thought the same thing while keying on him. Holy moly, he's got the slowest get off I've seen. I'm not going to count him out, but he's not going far being slow off the snap and only using the bull rush

b0ng
08-19-2013, 11:16 AM
texans should definitely cut him, trevardo williams, brendan williams and chris jones! Keshawn Martin too!

rmartin65
08-19-2013, 11:17 AM
texans should definitely cut him, trevardo williams, brendan williams and chris jones! Keshawn Martin too!

Its true. Keenum is more than capable of being the backup at those positions.

CloakNNNdagger
08-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Thought the same thing while keying on him. Holy moly, he's got the slowest get off I've seen. I'm not going to count him out, but he's not going far being slow off the snap and only using the bull rush

Besides being "unprepared," this is exactly what you would expect from a player with a high ankle sprain that is not given enough time to rehab without being thrown out there. With an ailing high ankle sprain, you see exactly what what you saw in Montgomery........a player that can't pivot, change direction, push off with explosiveness, or push through resistance (so would naturally try to avoid all and any contact in his pass rush). :wadepalm::kubepalm: