PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Round- Brennan Willliams

ArlingtonTexan
04-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Added to OL

WolverineFan
04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Great pick. Dude will be starting sooner rather than later.

Corrosion
04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Big need with Newton coming off injury and only Gardner & Ryan Harris on the roster at ths position. May start from day one at RT.

Brisco_County
04-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Newton had the potential, but his durability made right tackle a position of need again.

TheMatrix31
04-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Love when we go with picks for the trenches.

TexansSeminole
04-26-2013, 10:05 PM
I like it. I have had the chance to watch alot of North Carolina for the past 5 or so years, I probably have seen more of Brennan Williams then the other RT prospects outside of Menelik Watson. I feel confident that he can push Newton for the starting position in training camp.

I really like our draft so far.

texan279
04-26-2013, 10:06 PM
610 says he suffered a torn labrum last October. Anyone know how this could affect him?

Thorn
04-26-2013, 10:07 PM
First three articles I've read on him picked him to be a 3rd to 5th round choice. A good future, but needs some work. I was hoping for a bit more, but I always like taking linemen. I'll just have to trust Smithiak on this one for the time being.

texan279
04-26-2013, 10:10 PM
He is on 610 right now. Played with T.J. Yates. Said played a lot of zone schemes in the offense.

LikeMike
04-26-2013, 10:10 PM
First three articles I've read on him picked him to be a 3rd to 5th round choice. A good future, but needs some work. I was hoping for a bit more, but I always like taking linemen. I'll just have to trust Smithiak on this one for the time being.

Really? The first 3 I read all saw him as a second day prospect, possibly a second rounder - the injury hurt his stock and he is still a little raw, but lots of upside and great run blocker...

LonerATO
04-26-2013, 10:11 PM

I agree, as I was hoping for Jesse Williams or David Bakhtiari, bu I will agree with you and trust the plan.

Honoring Earl 34
04-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Father Brent Williams played 11 years in the NFL

Corrosion
Really? The first 3 I read all saw him as a second day prospect, possibly a second rounder - the injury hurt his stock and he is still a little raw, but lots of upside and great run blocker...

Thats probably what got him drafted here because Newton was .... not very good run blocking. He was very solid in pass protection but run blocking .... well below average.

Thorn

LOL. How many articles on these players do you suppose there are? Like all draft choices, we'll just have to wait on them anyway, so our opinions tonight are just talk.

Playoffs
04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
9. BRENNAN WILLIAMS | North Carolina 6055|318 lbs|4SR West Roxbury, MA (Catholic Memorial) 2/5/1991 (age 22) #73

2012: (8/8) (RT) PROJECTION: 3rd Round
2011: (13/13) (RT) MEASUREABLES: 6055 | 318 | 34” | 10 1-2" | 81 1-8”
2010: (10/0) (OT) PRO DAY: 5.27 40-YD DASH | 1.81 10-YD | 28.5” V | 8-5 BJ | 8.08 3C | 4.88 SS
2009: (6/1) (RT)

STRENGTHS: Very good frame and length with natural bend to stay flexible in space…plays with a wide frame with better footwork than expected…good quickness off the snap and does a nice job with his lower body to stay controlled and mirror in space…aggressive hands and looks to bully defenders, flashing an intense mean streak…pulls well and is physical on the move…intense demeanor and looks to finish through the whistle…good bloodlines, son of an 8-year NFL vet…22 career starts.

WEAKNESSES: Will struggle with speed off the edge…needs to stay disciplined, too often caught lunging with him ending up on the ground…waist bender and heavy kickslide, not always bursting off the snap…extends well but doesn’t consistently deliver a jolt at the POA…heavy handed which causes holds and placement needs work, too often hugging defenders…usually good eye discipline, but needs to stay patient…missed second half of 2012 with torn labrum in his left shoulder.

SUMMARY: Son of an 8-year NFL DE who played for three teams…looks the part with a wide base and ideal frame and length for right tackle…lighter feet than expected, but lumbers in his kickslide and will struggle with speed rushers…lateral quickness isn’t great, but covers a large area with his wide base…strong hands, but streaky placement and has the bad habit of grabbing when beat…needs to prove shoulder is 100% healthy, but has the tools to fight for a starting RT job in the NFL.

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2013, 11:10 PM
I think this is a really good pick. He'll fit in to what we want to do quicker than most guys. He'll be getting a lot of snaps in the off-season with Newton injured and he could be our Day 1 starter.

When I was looking over the Tackles, I didn't notice he was from North Carolina so I was thinking Quessenberry. But when I saw Williams was from NC, I was like "Well... duh!"

Hervoyel
04-27-2013, 11:59 AM
610 says he suffered a torn labrum last October. Anyone know how this could affect him?

Should be fine as long as he stays away from the doctor who worked on Tony Boselli's shoulder.

PockyAF
04-27-2013, 12:26 PM
LOL. How many articles on these players do you suppose there are? Like all draft choices, we'll just have to wait on them anyway, so our opinions tonight are just talk.

So why did you even make your first comment?

I saw a tweet from Bucky Brooks saying he was one of the best OT prospects prior to the injury.

PockyAF
04-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Highlight vid his dad posted on his twitter:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2517424/highlights/47379376

Apparently, this guy is nasty on the field, and nerdy off it. Prolly be a fan favorite based on his tweets alone.

https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU

VTexan
04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
haha he is posting on /sp/ right now

badboy
04-27-2013, 01:55 PM
From my pick 3 weeks ago had him #95, thought Texans would go Brandon Williams @ 89 but Ravens traded up to take him #88. Wonder if they were concerned Houston wanted him?

BADBOY's early April mock:
3B OT Brennan Williams 6'6" 318 this future star from NC is right on track with his recovery. Some will say I'm reaching but I want him. He's going to be that good. Unlike some tackles, he can play OG and may start RG 2014 unless Brooks forces Smith to the bench & Brandon is RG even sooner than I expect. Williams will be a very good RT and with a bit of coaching could play left.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Should be fine as long as he stays away from the doctor who worked on Tony Boselli's shoulder.

That's for sure.

Looks like the Texans rolled the dice on another one though. Keep in mind that major labrum injuries are much more serious and potentially debilitative than rotator cuff injuries (which are no picnic themselves). He had labrum surgery the very end of October last year. If there would have been a more minor tear still requiring surgery, there would have been a scope clean up and he should have been more than ready for the Combine. He evidently wasn't. With surgery for a major tear, it is not unusual that 6-8 months (sometimes up to 12 months) is necessary for rehab alone. Rehab for such an injury is a very difficult and painful course for any of you that may have gone through it, especially for someone who uses their hands/arms to fend off large obstructive moving objects. Fortunately, not many players are ruined by this surgery as was Boselli. But, unfortunately, there are enough that don't fully come back from this surgery (5-15%) to make it a concern. We'll just have to wait and see.

IDEXAN
04-28-2013, 10:25 AM
BRENNAN WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-5 ½, 314, 5.32, 3-4) - Three-year starter at RT. "Probably a good enough athlete to play left tackle," one scout said. "Really good on his feet. He tore up his shoulder at the end of the year, but if his shoulder's back he may go second round. Been around the game his whole life." Father, Brent, played DE for three teams from 1985-'95 and registered 45 ½ sacks. Described by scouts as "quirky," "kind of an oddball" and "real bright but real eccentric." Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. "He's not a football guy, OK?" one scout said. "He's not. I don't think he cares about football, and he uses the injury history as an excuse. This kid is destined for mediocrity." From West Roxbury, Mass.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/draft19g-rt9i5uh-203726121.html
I didn't know Royce White was also drafted by a 2nd pro sports teams in Houston ? So anyway, lets hope Williams is just a colorful, "quirky" personality and not a problem child and a wasted pick by the Texans like White appears to be for the Rockets.

LikeMike
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
BRENNAN WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-5 ½, 314, 5.32, 3-4) - Three-year starter at RT. "Probably a good enough athlete to play left tackle," one scout said. "Really good on his feet. He tore up his shoulder at the end of the year, but if his shoulder's back he may go second round. Been around the game his whole life." Father, Brent, played DE for three teams from 1985-'95 and registered 45 ½ sacks. Described by scouts as "quirky," "kind of an oddball" and "real bright but real eccentric." Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. "He's not a football guy, OK?" one scout said. "He's not. I don't think he cares about football, and he uses the injury history as an excuse. This kid is destined for mediocrity." From West Roxbury, Mass.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/draft19g-rt9i5uh-203726121.html
I didn't know Royce White was also drafted by a 2nd pro sports teams in Houston ? So anyway, lets hope Williams is just a colorful, "quirky" personality and not a problem child and a wasted pick by the Texans like White appears to be for the Rockets.

Actually that sounds a lot like Arian Foster...

Brisco_County
04-28-2013, 05:44 PM
...But, unfortunately, there are enough that don't fully come back from this surgery (5-15%) to make it a concern. We'll just have to wait and see.

I can deal with a 5% to 15% risk factor if he's talented enough.

Apparently, the injury was the result of a minor tear that wasn't allowed enough time to heal.

North Carolina starting offensive tackle Brennan Williams will miss the remainder of his senior season after surgery Thursday to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, team spokesman Kevin Best announced. Williams hasn't played at 100% for much of the season and further injured his shoulder in the fourth quarter against Duke last Saturday.

Link (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/20688808/north-carolina-senior-ot-brennan-williams-out-for-the-season).

My main concern is how he first tore it, so we can know if there's a risk of reoccurrence.

He currently claims that the injury is fully healed, and he's almost finished with strength rehab. Here he also comments on his father as a motivating factor.

(on if he is completely healed from his labrum surgery) “Everything is completely healed; it’s just about getting all the strength back and which is just about done.”

(on the important of following in his father’s footsteps) “It was extremely important. It was an expectation that we always had to make it to this level. I’m truly blessed to be where I am today but now it’s time for me to carve out my own footsteps.”

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-OT-Brennan-Williams-conference-call/47c3aa6d-2984-494e-a66a-72243085c4e3).

Here is an interview with him during his early days with NC. He speaks quite intelligently, and talks about creating a line identity that is mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lShKA_hyq3U

The more I learn about this pick, the more I like him. He was ranked in the high 2nd round by NFLdraftscouts.com. He definitely has the physical ability to succeed (when scouts speak of his "wide base," they aren't kidding), but his football heritage and his intelligence make him a realistic prospect as a long term starter. He will hit the ground running as a zone blocker, and from his interviews, he is conscientious of the value of leadership. I predict he will be taking the starting role sooner than later, and will eventually become a fan favorite.

Rey
04-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I need to look at him more. Saw some clips of him pass blocking and I didn't like what I saw.

I was thinking that he could be a LG prospect because he does look like he plays with strength and he looks like he'd be a good run blocker. I like Quessenberry as a pass blocker more and thought he'd be a better RT fit. But we'll see....

thunderkyss
04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
That's for sure.

Looks like the Texans rolled the dice on another one though. Keep in mind that major labrum injuries are much more serious and potentially debilitative than rotator cuff injuries (which are no picnic themselves). He had labrum surgery the very end of October last year. If there would have been a more minor tear still requiring surgery, there would have been a scope clean up and he should have been more than ready for the Combine. He evidently wasn't. With surgery for a major tear, it is not unusual that 6-8 months (sometimes up to 12 months) is necessary for rehab alone. Rehab for such an injury is a very difficult and painful course for any of you that may have gone through it, especially for someone who uses their hands/arms to fend off large obstructive moving objects. Fortunately, not many players are ruined by this surgery as was Boselli. But, unfortunately, there are enough that don't fully come back from this surgery (5-15%) to make it a concern. We'll just have to wait and see.

With this in mind, do you think he'll be participating in OTAs next month? Or we won't see him till minicamp?

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2013, 12:15 AM
With this in mind, do you think he'll be participating in OTAs next month? Or we won't see him till minicamp?

Since OTAs are noncontact and minicamp is almost the same, my guess is that there would be no reason keeping him from basically going through the motions in both venues. The real test will be in TC.

Wolf6151
04-29-2013, 02:19 AM
I like this pick and the Quessenberry pick. I'm thinking they both go through OTA's and minicamp, but I really hope the Texans take it easy on Williams shoulder and let it fully heal so that he goes through this only 1 time and there aren't recurring shoulder issues. I'd like to see him start next season on the PUP list, if there's any doubt as to his healing and ability, so that he can come back in midseason if needed but also allowing him lots of time to heal. With Ryan Harris on the roster backing up Newton there's no reason for Williams to rush back from surgery. I see our O-line at Brown, Smith, Myers, Brooks, and Newton, with Jones, Harris, Gardner and Quessesberry being the primary backups and Williams on PUP depending on his injury status. Harris and Gardner could both be on the bubble depending on how these guys perform in TC.

76Texan
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
I need to look at him more. Saw some clips of him pass blocking and I didn't like what I saw.

I was thinking that he could be a LG prospect because he does look like he plays with strength and he looks like he'd be a good run blocker. I like Quessenberry as a pass blocker more and thought he'd be a better RT fit. But we'll see....

This was my first impression as well. Also I think he has some flaws in technique that forces him to lunge and reach at times.

Rey
04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
This was my first impression as well. Also I think he has some flaws in technique that forces him to lunge and reach at times.

Yep...He lunges and doesn't have good balance...doesn't move his feet all that well either...

Maybe the Texans are planning on coaching him up, but I'd rather they try him at guard because I think he could instantly be a good player there wheras at Tackle he's going to need some work....

76Texan
04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Yep...He lunges and doesn't have good balance...doesn't move his feet all that well either...

Maybe the Texans are planning on coaching him up, but I'd rather they try him at guard because I think he could instantly be a good player there wheras at Tackle he's going to need some work....

I think he's a project anyway.
All the little details in technique may take many more reps than people may think.
I wonder if we're gonna see Brandon at OT in camp as a possibility that Kubiak mentioned last year (I read it as the coaches wanted to leave Brandon Brooks at OG in his rookie season, but may give him a look-see at OT in his second season.)
That will give them a chance to try the two young guys at OG.