04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w64D1D8cyc4

All you need to know is 2:08.

Titans Sux 72
04-26-2013, 07:22 PM
You mean just like Quinn?

Corrosion
04-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Dude is a BIG hitter with very good cover / ball skills .....

Somewhat surprised that they went with a DB over a LBer or DL but .... this guy will take over the role that Quin played in passing situations. Considering how much time they spend in a three safety set , I find it hard to knock the pick.

I was looking for that hybrid DB/Lber much later in the draft ....

You mean just like Quinn?

Much more physical player than Quin ....

CretorFrigg
04-26-2013, 07:23 PM
What will be his role next season? I can't see him replacing Manning. I wanted a 2nd rounder that could immediately be plugged in and start.

aussie_texan
04-26-2013, 07:24 PM
What will be his role next season? I can't see him replacing Manning. I wanted a 2nd rounder that could immediately be plugged in and start.

We play a lot of 3 safety sets. He'll be able to cover the bigger TEs. He will get a lot of snaps this year

Corrosion
04-26-2013, 07:25 PM

He'll be the 3rd safety - basically the hybrid safety / ILB that Quin played. They were in that three safety look an awful lot too .... The more I think about it , the more I like the choice.

The Cush
04-26-2013, 07:27 PM
We play a lot of 3 safety sets. He'll be able to cover the bigger TEs. He will get a lot of snaps this year

Yep, and more importantly...will keep Shiloh Keo off the field!!!!

rmartin65
04-26-2013, 07:28 PM
I love it. Great pick. I do worry about him taking some penalties, but it is what it is.

Corrosion

Yeah really .... Keo can continue to blow assignments on special teams ..... :kitten:

I love it. Great pick. I do worry about him taking some penalties, but it is what it is.

Yeah he has a little bit of Bernard Pollard in him .... but that defense needed a nasty personality.

bckey
This guy is a beast. I love this pick. Vinny, I know you love it. Fantastic.

b0ng
04-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Love this pick.

aussie_texan
04-26-2013, 07:29 PM

Yeah keo can stay on special teams which is best for him the team and most of all for us the fans !!!!

Rey
04-26-2013, 07:30 PM
He'll be the 3rd safety - basically the hybrid safety / ILB that Quin played. They were in that three safety look an awful lot too .... The more I think about it , the more I like the choice.

Exactly.

Dudes going to play a bunch. And he's going to flash like no body's business. Hopefully he's a Texan for a long long time.

Love swearinger. He's the one guy that I absolutely wanted to come away with in the draft.

Dude is a baller. A beast.

Vinny
04-26-2013, 07:31 PM
This guy is a beast. I love this pick. Vinny, I know you love it. Fantastic.
Reed and/or Manning will need help since they are kinda elderly so this will do us good. One or both of them will be nicked up next season at times. I like the pick.

Marcus
04-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Another one . .

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ojqo5sWIVrM&feature=related

SW H-TOWN
04-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Guys are going to think twice before going over the middle with Swearinger and Cushing out there. Jungle Boi is in H-Town and the dude can put a hurt on somebody, enforcer with "swagger". I think we will be looking for an ILB in the 3rd. Possibly Sio Moore or Sean Porter.

badboy
04-26-2013, 07:32 PM
I love it. Great pick. I do worry about him taking some penalties, but it is what it is.Yep, kid needs to quit going for the head but awesome tackler. I wished he had more speed. I had just posted earlier in the draft thread that we could get OLB and Ilb later and should go either safety or NT. Hopefully a NT will be their in third.

Playoffs
04-26-2013, 07:33 PM
John Harris ‏@jharrisfootball 4m
DJ even played CB in a game vs. Tennessee too. Can be reckless, out of control at times, but if he tackles well, he'll be solid in a few yrs

Swearinger a round earlier than I expected, but the top safeties were coming off the board and he probably wasn't there in 3rd round.

D.J Swearinger is a HAMMER. He will light you up (about one of the only player I'd be happy taking over J. Williams, D. Moore)
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 8m
RT @PayneNFL: Very happy about Swearinger. Fits perfectly in Wade's 3 safety sub package.

TexansSeminole
04-26-2013, 07:34 PM
I like it alot. Is this the highest selected safety ever for us?

Hopefully he can come in and play that inside safety role that we lost with Quin on nickel and dime packages.

NitroGSXR
04-26-2013, 07:35 PM

You talking about how he was taunting the guy right after the hit? Kid looks to be a jizzbucket. Hope we can tame that.

Corrosion
04-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Exactly.

Dudes going to play a bunch. And he's going to flash like no body's business. Hopefully he's a Texan for a long long time.

Love swearinger. He's the one guy that I absolutely wanted to come away with in the draft.

Dude is a baller. A beast.

Where's GP with his :tinfoil: We cant all like this pick .... :lol:

I really didnt see them spending a pick this high on a safety after signing Ed Reed .... I expected a pass rusher.

Maybe they can trade Keo for a half eaten bag of chips or something .... :ahhaha:

CretorFrigg
04-26-2013, 07:36 PM
You talking about how he was taunting the guy right after the hit? Kid looks to be a jizzbucket. Hope we can tame that.

Or the horrible form? Needs to wrap up...could've easily been a broken tackle.

The Cush
04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm surprised Goodell hasn't already suspended him after that highlight reel.

Corrosion
04-26-2013, 07:38 PM
I like it alot. Is this the highest selected safety ever for us?

Hopefully he can come in and play that inside safety role that we lost with Quin on nickel and dime packages.

Yep ... they had used 5th-7th's on safetys before this.

TexansSeminole
04-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Yep ... they had used 5th-7th's on safetys before this.

Thought so, but wasn't sure if I had forgotten someone. Quin is the highest, but he was drafted as a corner anyway.

aussie_texan
04-26-2013, 07:42 PM
It's possible that our 3rd safety now swearinger will play more snaps then our 2ilb

eriadoc
04-26-2013, 07:42 PM
This was the guy I had at the top of my wish list for this spot. Hopkins was at the top of my first round wish list. I'm a happy camper.

I have no wish list for the third round. I'm ignorant.

Vance87
04-26-2013, 07:48 PM

You're right he should be more like Schaub.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Although I wanted Brown, I wouldn't complain about Swearinger. He is a good pick for us.

dc_txtech
04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Or the horrible form? Needs to wrap up...could've easily been a broken tackle.

It looks like if he had used good form the ball carrier might be dead right now. Seems like he laid off a little bit.

Lurvinator11
04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Although I wanted Brown, I wouldn't complain about Swearinger. He is a good pick for us.

I think they would have taken Brown had Baltimore not traded up in front of us.

Lucky
04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
It's possible that our 3rd safety now swearinger will play more snaps then our 2ilb
That's a good point. Nickel LB is really a just as much a starter as the other ILB or NT.

Brisco_County
04-26-2013, 08:00 PM
I love these two picks so far. Both of these guys are a big part of the future of this team.

SW H-TOWN
04-26-2013, 08:01 PM
This was the guy I had at the top of my wish list for this spot. Hopkins was at the top of my first round wish list. I'm a happy camper.

I have no wish list for the third round. I'm ignorant.

Sean Porter LB Texas A&M, Jesse Williams DT Alabama, David Quessenberry G/T San Jose State...

WolverineFan
04-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Sean Porter LB Texas A&M, Jesse Williams DT Alabama, David Quessenberry G/T San Jose State...

This guy. Love this guy.

Porky
04-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Love the pick. We got a WR to mentor under AJ and a safety to mentor under Reed, and both good value imo. And thank God Keo will at best be relegated to ST (please football Gods)

BTW, did someone kidnap Smithiak and tie them up in the closet?

If there are two things I know about the current brain trust, it's that they won't ever draft a WR in rd 1, and they will never draft a safety on *day one.

(Im old school, I consider day 1 to be rd 1-3)

NitroGSXR
04-26-2013, 08:22 PM
You're right he should be more like Schaub.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm just having flashbacks of Travis Johnson antics.

VTexan
04-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Texans adding playmakers.

Uncle Rico
04-26-2013, 08:47 PM
This guy will help out immensely on special teams.

Rey
04-26-2013, 08:58 PM

Give me Quessenberry and porter with these two picks and I'd be even happier than I already am.

thunderkyss
04-26-2013, 09:15 PM

He looks one biscuit shy of a line backer.

DX-TEX
04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/624/602/MonsterHit_original.gif?1353813696

TdotTexas2Step
04-26-2013, 09:34 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/624/602/MonsterHit_original.gif?1353813696

This will be reeled in by our vets, but I really like the confidence he has.

DX-TEX
04-26-2013, 09:35 PM
This will be reeled in by our vets, but I really like the confidence he has.

Watching vids of him I get a more athletic Bernard Pollard vibe

EVOLVIST
04-26-2013, 09:39 PM
I swear his parents fuked up his name, when they meant J.D. Salinger. Now we have a D.J. Swearinger.

Playoffs
04-26-2013, 09:44 PM
7. DJ SWEARINGER |South Carolina 5104 |208 lbs|4SR Greenwood, SC (Greenwood HS) 7/12/1990 (age 22) #36

2012: (12/12) 79/3.0/9/2 PROJECTION: 2nd-3rd Round
2011: (13/13) 80/1.5/6/3 MEASUREABLES: 5104 | 208 | 32 3-8” | 9 1-2" | 77 5-8”
2010: (14/8) 66/2.0/6/1 COMBINE: 4.67 40-YD DASH | 1.63 10-YD | 17 REPS | 37” V | 10-4 BJ | 6.70 3C | 4.11 SS
2009: (13/0) 19/0.0/1/0

STRENGTHS: Throws his body around on the field, arriving to the ballcarrier with power and pop to drive him backwards…extremely physical and confident, playing fast and decisive…reads the eyes of the QB and not afraid to come of his man to make plays…undercuts routes and looks to pluck the ball out of the air with natural hands and return ability (7 INTs, 1 TD)…fiery demeanor and likes to chirp…improved awareness vs. the run…versatile starting experience at both safety and CB.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to get stronger and add bulk to his upper body and limbs…gets his eyes stuck in the wrong place at times, causing him to be a step too late in coverage or helping at the sideline…too physical downfield with bad habit of grabbing…streaky tackling technique, leading with his helmet and hitting to high which forces him to try and hug/wrestle to the ground…poor discipline, especially as a hitter and will attract too many penalties for targeting, taunting and personal fouls.

SUMMARY: Versatile DB the past four seasons in the SEC, starting 33 career games at CB, FS and SS…extremely physical and enjoys contact, arriving to the play with violent intentions…goes for the big hit, but doesn’t always wrap and needs to play smarter…athletic with the foot quickness to hold up in coverage, but room to improve his awareness…thumping hitter with position versatility, but lack of discipline makes him tough to trust right now…potential NFL starter within two years.

DocBar
04-26-2013, 09:56 PM
I like this pick a lot but he better learn to get tackle a little lower against NFL RB's or they'll shake him off like a flea. The bigger WR's will, also. I'm liking our entire draft, so far.

wolf123
04-26-2013, 10:13 PM
That's a good point. Nickel LB is really a just as much a starter as the other ILB or NT.

More, Nickel LB played over 50% of the snaps.

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2013, 10:15 PM

His role will be to keep Shiloh Keo on the freaking bench in the 3 safety set Wade loves.

EDIT: OK, OK. I came late to the thread. I didn't know everyone and their mother had already posted this.

Brisco_County
04-27-2013, 12:00 AM

I'm more impressed at 2:28.

GP
04-27-2013, 12:35 AM
I think he's going to be something special.

Talented. Super instinctive with where to be and whether to hit or wrap up, or play the ball.

The confidence is there, too.

Ed Reed, Jr.

Rey
04-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Hopkins and swearinger make the draft for me. Just get solid players the rest of the way.

This city is going to love Hopkins and swearinger. Two passionate players that wear it on their sleeve...

And not I'm not talking about a patch on a letterman...

ThaJokaa
04-27-2013, 07:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YHPNQuV.gif

This hit >>
Ouch, but I can see it getting flagged

Grams
04-27-2013, 07:26 AM

This hit >>

I do not see this getting flagged. He did not lead with his head, did not hit the runner in his head. Used is shoulder and hit in the chest.

Looking forward to seeing him hit some Pats, Ravens, Titans, Jags, Colts,Broncos this season.

:fans:

badboy
04-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Will not get away with holding WRs when he gets beat in NFL.

tru80texan
04-27-2013, 01:43 PM

This hit >>

Yeah, that ONE doesn't seem like flag, but after watching more on him he does have some suspect hits were he better learn to keep that head up. I love his intensity, but we don't need it costing the team in yards & him in money. Still believe he will be a good one.

Rey
04-27-2013, 01:45 PM
We need to get flagged more.

Not for fake illegal hits. Like the bull calls watt gets.

We need to get flagged more ala pollard and reed. Receivers need to understand that we're going to take a penalty or two sometimes whilst punishing them. They don't need to be out there running around care free playing against a defense that they aren't concerned about getting their bell rung against.

Not saying be dirty, but when you play hard and aggressive and look to punish offensive players...you're going to get flagged sometimes. That's just the reality.

deucetx
04-27-2013, 01:53 PM

We need to get flagged more ala pollard and reed. Receivers need to understand that we're going to take a penalty or two sometimes whilst punishing them. They don't need to be out there running around care free playing against a defense that they aren't concerned about getting their bell rung against.

Not saying be dirty, but when you play hard and aggressive and look to punish offensive players...you're going to get flagged sometimes. That's just the reality.

Couldn't have said it any better. This team needs the aggression and that attitude. Someone who just doesn't give a **** who is lined up on the other side of the ball and intends on making them think twice about catching the ball over the middle. Cushing was exactly this as well so I have no issue with Swearinger.

Pollardized
04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Thinking I may have to change my name on here....

Number19
04-27-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm not particularly enamored with the pick. He'll be good, maybe very good, but he doesn't have the upside to be elite; and at 5'-10" will be a mismatch against elite TE's and some of the best WR's. He'll make the hit after the catch, but giving up 6" -8" in height, QB's can take advantage of this...B- is all I can give the pick.

Wolf
04-28-2013, 03:01 PM
I realize it is highlights on YouTube, but like this pick more and more..I hope *****inger soaks up knowledge from Ed Reed
BTW the * are a joke on his name. I really didn't curse

CretorFrigg
04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm not particularly enamored with the pick. He'll be good, maybe very good, but he doesn't have the upside to be elite; and at 5'-10" will be a mismatch against elite TE's and some of the best WR's. He'll make the hit after the catch, but giving up 6" -8" in height, QB's can take advantage of this...B- is all I can give the pick.

Troy Polamalu is listed at 5'10" as well.

76Texan
04-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Swearinger measured in at 5'10'04 with arm length of 32-3/8.

I think that's about Quin's measurement or slightly better.
Also, he's about 1/2 longer than Matt Elam who was drafted earlier.

His posted numbers in the 20SS and 3-cone are both better than Quin, suggesting that he has the agility to stay with his man.

I would have liked for him to be taller, but overall, his measurements aren't too bad.

Number19
04-28-2013, 04:47 PM
I've changed my position on this pick a bit. I never figured FS to be a weakness going into the draft and had SS on my mind. It seems Swearinger will be groomed for FS and used in the sub-packages this next season. I like him in this role just fine - it's an excellent pick.

For SS, I want that big, fast, strong hybrid type to match up against elite TE's and big #2 receivers in the short middle zone.

thunderkyss
04-28-2013, 09:04 PM

I could stand a few more flags, but them receivers were getting dikdirted all year long. Kj is mean, Manning don't give a fug, and Quins a hitter. I even remember seeing Jjo take a couple of heads off..... didn't get flagged, should've, but didn't.

They deny it, but I think Welker dropped all them balls, because he was looking/expecting for the off defender.

thunderkyss
04-28-2013, 09:26 PM

The difference, is that Polamalu was on the field every down, giving him ample opportunity to make plays. Swearinger will be coming off the bench & have to make the most of limited opportunity.

Fili
04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Hopefully he won't get manhandled by opposing tight ends like Glover.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-28-2013, 11:37 PM
I think they would have taken Brown had Baltimore not traded up in front of us.

Totally agree with you. But I like Swearinger pick as well so I will take it.

Texn4life
04-28-2013, 11:51 PM
I just hope this guy doesn't end up killing someone out there. An onfield decapitation wouldn't be a good look.

hot pickle
04-28-2013, 11:56 PM
favorite pick in the draft for sure. guy takes some dumb penalties but that will go away with time, ed reed will mentor him

drs23
04-29-2013, 09:19 AM
favorite pick in the draft for sure. guy takes some dumb penalties but that will go away with time, ed reed will mentor him

That would be like :potkettle:. Ed's been fined and had a suspension rescinded for headhunting. That said, he does play mean. I hope he can learn to reel it in a little. It sure likes he's got a little Bernard Pollard in him.

TexanSam
04-29-2013, 04:49 PM
I hope he's better than Arthur Brown, because apparently that's who the Texans were going to take until Baltimore traded ahead of them to get him.

Dutchrudder
04-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Yeah, but he's about 6'3 once he puts the helmet on over his hair.

Rey
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Swearinger Grind Flu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojqo5sWIVrM ******LANGUAGE*************

His footwork is ridiculous...

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Swearinger Grind Flu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojqo5sWIVrM ******LANGUAGE*************

His footwork is ridiculous...

Great stuff.

Kid seems like another Cushing. I love it.

BigBull17
04-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Hopefully he won't get manhandled by opposing tight ends like Glover.

Or bite so hard on Brady's PA.

Rey
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Swearinger about to be on 610am in a few minutes.

Rey
04-30-2013, 12:24 PM
I had no idea Sam Montgomery and Swearinger were highschool teammates...

I must have missed that...

Rey
04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Good interview. Nothing ground breaking, but you can tell this guy loves football. Hearing him talk about being in the same room with Ed Reed made me smile. Says he loves to watch film to pick up any advantages he can on his opponent. Feels like the middle of the field belongs to him and he's basically there to make QB's Recievers and backs pay for trying to make plays in his area.

He played RB, QB and Safety in highschool. Sam Montgomery was a DE and he said Sam made it easy for him and he looks forward to more of the same in the pros.

SW H-TOWN
05-03-2013, 09:57 AM

This guy. Love this guy.

WE GOT A FREAKING STEAL. I think that in approximately 2 years Brennan Williams and Quessenberry will be starting. Brown is inked in at LT and they drafted Williams to play RT. I think that Quessenberry will eventually replace Wade Smith and can slide outside if an injury occurs. High on him too. Knows how to do the little things like Hopkins.

Brett
05-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Hey ya'll, just wanted to drop this off in case anyone was interested.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/5/14/4329310/the-film-room-new-houston-texans-safety-d-j-swearinger

CretorFrigg
05-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Informative post about our rookie safety. Thanks for sharing.

SW H-TOWN
05-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Good find Brett, he really seems to be pro ready against the run. I am just curious to see how far along his coverage game is.

RipTraxx
05-21-2013, 09:44 AM
With all the positives said about him (and i believe them all). It makes me wonder why did he last all the way to late 2nd rd?

Anyone?

The Pencil Neck
05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
With all the positives said about him (and i believe them all). It makes me wonder why did he last all the way to late 2nd rd?

Anyone?

He can be overly aggressive and this shows up in a lot of ways. He picks up a lot of penalties because of that. He'll also go for the big hit instead of wrapping up sometimes. He'll be over-aggressive against the run and sometimes blow coverage assignments.

There were worries that he didn't have the range to be a good safety in coverage.

And then there are the worries about his height.

Late 2nd round was about where he was expected to go.

Rey
05-21-2013, 10:18 AM

Anyone?

It happens...

There are other players teams like more for whatever reason. I wouldn't get too caught up in supposed negatives as every prospect has a list of negatives.

I'd just look at it like there were other players selected ahead of him that other teams valued higher.

It's not like he fell to the fifth round. 2nd round is a good place to be taken.

RipTraxx
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
He can be overly aggressive and this shows up in a lot of ways. He picks up a lot of penalties because of that. He'll also go for the big hit instead of wrapping up sometimes. He'll be over-aggressive against the run and sometimes blow coverage assignments.

There were worries that he didn't have the range to be a good safety in coverage.

Late 2nd round was about where he was expected to go.

I agree his 40 was horrible. But he doesnt play like a 4.67 at all. I would've easily said a low 4.5, easily as fast as Elam.

His over aggressiveniss might play well in the sub package, as somewhat of a LB. against the run.

Brett
05-21-2013, 01:54 PM
He's definitely aggressive, but I think the TFL's outweigh the negatives here in terms of how often he is right vs how often he is wrong.

badboy
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Late 2nd round was about where he was expected to go.His aggressiveness reminds me of linebacker Vontaze Burfict who had 16 personal fouls thru his junior year. Considered a 2011 first rounder, he went undrafted 2012 after leaving school early. Became starter in third week for Bengals getting 127 tackles team high.

While Burfict did fail marijuana test at combine, his on field skills were crazy good but was a penalty flag waiting to happen. I am not concerned about GRR! at all.

drs23
05-21-2013, 03:22 PM
His aggressiveness reminds me of linebacker Vontaze Burfict who had 16 personal fouls thru his junior year. Considered a 2011 first rounder, he went undrafted 2012 after leaving school early. Became starter in third week for Bengals getting 127 tackles team high.

While Burfict did fail marijuana test at combine, his on field skills were crazy good but was a penalty flag waiting to happen. I am not concerned about GRR! at all.

Me either, at this point. If he develops a rep like Bernard Pollard did and draws a flag if he even breathes on a receiver then that would be a problem.

Hope that doesn't happen.

Corrosion
05-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Swearinger ladder drills workout video .... Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhqUXDDy1k0&sns=tw)

:swatter:

Rey
07-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Everytime I see Swearinger I think about this song:

Bad girls ain't no good, and the good girls ain't no fun
And the hood girls want a smart *****, college girls all want a thug
So it seems we fiend what we don't need
Got a thing for a queen who know when to leave
I ain't bout to judge you, don't judge me
You ain't gotta really sing about your rap sheet
Cause I heard you (bad nooo)
In the literal sense I mean that

He looks like Wale to me:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JMqaAHzy61Y/UXtFCb-OfAI/AAAAAAAAXNY/UioqJz3D7-o/s640/D.J.+Swearinger.jpg

http://cdn.rap-up.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wale-fence.jpg

Playoffs
10-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Time to man up...

Rookie safety Swearinger to get first start for Texans (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/d-j-swearinger-to-start-at-strong-safety-for-injured-danieal-manning/)

kiwitexansfan
10-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Hoping for big things out if DJ.

TheIronDuke
11-18-2013, 08:47 AM
He missed a tackle yesterday. :kitten:

Hervoyel
11-18-2013, 08:49 AM

He misses a tackle every week. Rookie safeties do that. Gotta learn sometime how to play at this level. Might as well be now.

Runner
11-18-2013, 09:18 AM

That is putting it kindly.

HOU-TEX
11-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Dude looked like he was giving Jennings a celebratory shoulder bump. It was actually comical because of how bad it looked.

Sharpton did nothing but catch his block and was easily taken out of the play.

silvrhand
11-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Dude looked like he was giving Jennings a celebratory shoulder bump. It was actually comical because of how bad it looked.

Sharpton did nothing but catch his block and was easily taken out of the play.

Sigh.. welcome to the new NFL where love taps are only allowed if you are a receiver, and then when the real men play you get your face ripped off then run for a TD.

The more interesting thing for me was that Jennings then outran everyone else.. including our corners.

dream_team
11-18-2013, 10:18 AM
The more interesting thing for me was that Jennings then outran everyone else.. including our corners.

I was thinking the same exact thing! I don't know what was more embarrassing... DJ's tackle attempt or that no one could catch Jennings for 80 yards! And you wonder why the secondary keeps getting beat deep!

playa465
11-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Sigh.. welcome to the new NFL where love taps are only allowed if you are a receiver, and then when the real men play you get your face ripped off then run for a TD.

I kinda felt overall team speed was lacking, but I didn't Jennings would outrun the D

silvrhand
11-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I kinda felt overall team speed was lacking, but I didn't Jennings would outrun the D

LOL ugh.. he ran a 4.59 at the combine.. not even a blazer.. oh joy

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP
6 ft 1 in 231 lb 4.59 s 1.53 s 2.59 s 4.20 s 6.79 s 34 in 10 ft 0 in 29 reps
All values from NFL Combine

thunderkyss
11-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Dj also attributed to the TD over Darryl Sharpton. At least he didn't contribute when he should have.

Dishman
11-18-2013, 11:09 PM
LOL ugh.. he ran a 4.59 at the combine.. not even a blazer.. oh joy

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP
6 ft 1 in 231 lb 4.59 s 1.53 s 2.59 s 4.20 s 6.79 s 34 in 10 ft 0 in 29 reps
All values from NFL Combine

Did anyone catch his 80-yd dash time? :kitten:

Surreal McCoy
11-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Dj also attributed to the TD over Darryl Sharpton. At least he didn't contribute when he should have.

I think you're outta line here. Does Schaub play on defence? No! Does Kubiak call the defence? No!

VTexan
11-19-2013, 02:06 AM
eh he's a rook. let's see what he looks like next year when he gets another full off-season to hit the gym.

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Seems like he was really picked on by oakland. The height
thing really reared it's head..

TJ

Norg
11-19-2013, 09:41 PM
He is a rookie

U know whats sad all our 2nd round picks don't have the luxary of gettin red shirted there first year we suck so bad our 1st and 2nd round picks go straight to starters LOL

Uncle Rico
11-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Other than getting Earl Campbell'ed I think hes been playing ok. I mean cmon guys he's a rookie gotta give him some time, its not fair. YADA YADA YADA

thunderkyss
11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
There's already a Dj Swearinger Thread on the first page.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99883

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Against Oakland, DJ was in position to either batt down or intercept a pass a couple of times but it was just out of his reach.

It _almost_ looked like they were trying to exploit the size issue with him...

TJ

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Got it, kill this one if you want

There's already a Dj Swearinger Thread on the first page.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99883

Uncle Rico
11-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Against Oakland, DJ was in position to either batt down or intercept a pass a couple of times but it was just out of his reach.

It _almost_ looked like they were trying to exploit the size issue with him...

TJ

I think you're 'reaching' not like DBs are prized for their height.

chicagotexan2
11-19-2013, 10:03 PM
He's young and hopefully he'll learn that playing like Bernard pollard is not a good thing. It's nice to get a big hit but its worse to get trucked when you should've just wrapped up. Too early to determine if hell be good or lousy. Look at Kareem Jackson. The guy was like a Matt Schaub CB his rookie year now he's a solid player.

Norg
11-19-2013, 11:32 PM
so is Kareem Jackson on IR I didn't even know he got hurt ..????

TejasTom
11-19-2013, 11:38 PM
so is Kareem Jackson on IR I didn't even know he got hurt ..????

No. Chest contusion in Arizona game. Probably back against Jags.

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 07:46 AM
He played with a lot of swag yesterday. :kitten:

gwallaia
12-06-2013, 08:01 AM
I think he's a gangsta punk who needs to play like a professional football player and keep his head straight.

Fred
12-06-2013, 08:12 AM
I think he's a gangsta punk who needs to play like a professional football player and keep his head straight.

I think he is trying to get Kubiak fired by doing stupid things that make you think "wow, that is what poorly coached teams do".

nero THE zero
12-06-2013, 08:21 AM
What happened?

I went to bed midway through the 2Q. The only thing of note I saw him do was get a pretty sweet PD

gwallaia
12-06-2013, 08:22 AM
I think he is trying to get Kubiak fired by doing stupid things that make you think "wow, that is what poorly coached teams do".

True. Stupid penalties like DJ committed last night are a reflection of a lack of coaching and a lack of discipline.

Exascor
12-06-2013, 08:27 AM
What happened?

I went to bed midway through the 2Q. The only thing of note I saw him do was get a pretty sweet PDDefense stopped the jags forcing a 4th down punt. Swearinger decided to taunt the other team (like he's Mr Tuffguy on a 2-10 team) giving them a 1st down instead. He followed that up with a pass interference penalty on the next play IIRC. It was around 40 penalty yards in 2 plays.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 08:29 AM
True. Stupid penalties like DJ committed last night are a reflection of a lack of coaching and a lack of discipline.
either that or Jerry Glanville snuck back in the Coaching meetings

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 08:31 AM
What happened?

I went to bed midway through the 2Q. The only thing of note I saw him do was get a pretty sweet PD

Complete mental breakdown on the field. JAX was walking off the field after a failed 3rd and 2 to punt and DJ smack talks as they're on their way and gets a taunting penalty. Then another penalty later where he held onto Lewis negating a pick by Pleasant (which might not have been picked unless DJ held though.) He was attempting arm tackling again and bounced off MJD. He did celebrate every freaking tackle like he was making huge plays in the Super Bowl. He made some other bad plays that I can't recall. Dude's a clown, Pollard without the big hits and occasional pick, at least in his rookie campaign.

ChampionTexan
12-06-2013, 08:39 AM

If only we could have signed a grizzled vet with a Super Bowl ring (preferably one who plays the same position as he does) to come in and show him how to do this...

Vinny
12-06-2013, 08:42 AM
If only we could have signed a grizzled vet with a Super Bowl ring (preferably one who plays the same position as he does) to come in and show him how to do this...
DeMeco Ryan's leadership won't be missed either.

Vinnie
12-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Yep, sucks we ended up with a hobo instead.

Txn_in_Oki
12-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Ya know what? I've got a great idea...

UKTexan
12-06-2013, 08:52 AM

And then to hammer home his point he publicly humiliated his coach by acting like a spoiled teenager at the side when Kubiak tried to give him a bollocking. I'm not defending Kubiak, he's clearly lost respect and discipline but Swearinger should be disciplined for thast display, he needs to understand that is not acceptable.

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 08:59 AM
And then to hammer home his point he publicly humiliated his coach by acting like a spoiled teenager at the side when Kubiak tried to give him a bollocking. I'm not defending Kubiak, he's clearly lost respect and discipline but Swearinger should be disciplined for thast display, he needs to understand that is not acceptable.

I've heard of the term bollocks but I didn't now know that one could perform a bollocking. I guess a "Bullocking" is missing a FG from 45+ yards!

Any way, I agree and in the game thread even stated that an actual "good" coach would have benched him for that. Unfortunately we are stuck with a coach that doesn't hold players accountable and puts it all on him.

UKTexan
12-06-2013, 09:04 AM
I've heard of the term bollocks but I didn't now know that one could perform a bollocking. I guess a "Bullocking" is missing a FG from 45+ yards!

Any way, I agree and in the game thread even stated that an actual "good" coach would have benched him for that. Unfortunately we are stuck with a coach that doesn't hold players accountable and puts it all on him.

Close, a "Bullocking" is what one gets for missing a FG from 45+ yards

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Swag was notorious for dumb penalties at South Carolina fwiw. He obviously hasn't been coached up yet.

disaacks3
12-06-2013, 09:09 AM
The kid has the tools, but he needs to keep that ego in check.

TexansBlood
12-06-2013, 09:17 AM
It's not Swearinger fault guys.

Kubiak address this already and he takes total blame for his penalties and the rest of them.

:kitten:

HOU-TEX
12-06-2013, 09:23 AM
The kid has the tools, but he needs to keep that ego in check.

Hope you're right. The most I've seen out of him is what you see from box safeties.

What irked me is the fact we left him in the game after acting a fool. Bench his ass! Throw Jon Weeks in there and let him eat

TexanBacker93
12-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Hope you're right. The most I've seen out of him is what you see from box safeties.

What irked me is the fact we left him in the game after acting a fool. Bench his ass! Throw Jon Weeks in there and let him eat

Exactly. You want to keep what little respect you have from fans and your players? You sit him down. I don't care what some media people say, what I see is a team that is playing smart or inspired for a lame duck dead in the water coach. They might respect him as a man and might say the right things, but Kubiak has never shown to be one to hold anyone accountable and the team is finally responding to that kind of leadership.

HOU-TEX
12-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Exactly. You want to keep what little respect you have from fans and your players? You sit him down. I don't care what some media people say, what I see is a team that is playing smart or inspired for a lame duck dead in the water coach. They might respect him as a man and might say the right things, but Kubiak has never shown to be one to hold anyone accountable and the team is finally responding to that kind of leadership.

Agreed. I don't care much about what the heads say either, but Mayock and Nessler (I think) were darn near to the point of making fun of the guy

Rey
12-06-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm a swearinger fan, but kubiak should have yanked his ass and told him to get a ****ing clue.

But I'm not down in swagg. I think he and everyone else could benefit from some real coaching. I don't even think Vance Joseph says anything to these guys anymore because the DB's look like they just do whatever they feel like.

badboy
12-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Agreed. I don't care much about what the heads say either, but Mayock and Nessler (I think) were darn near to the point of making fun of the guyYep what will cost Gary his job is screaming "what the F are you doing?" and then not benching the guy. This was another nail in Kubiak's coffin for me.

Another thing did anyone else notice Schaub scolding Martin for not getting in huddle quickly? Martin just seemed to ignore him. Matt seemed to talk to him later on sideline &again Martin just ignored. A series or so later (I think after Scahub had thrown him a pass, Martin was on bench and Schaub seemed to be coaching him. I want to see that from a QB and I want to see a coach on Martin or whomever's ass for not respecting QB. I don't care if the waterboy is QB, do what you are told.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm a swearinger fan, but kubiak should have yanked his ass and told him to get a ****ing clue.

But I'm not down in swagg. I think he and everyone else could benefit from some real coaching. I don't even think Vance Joseph says anything to these guys anymore because the DB's look like they just do whatever they feel like.too slow to react...the Texas way. Keo starting also mindbloggling....but he's slow, so I guess that's cool for this slowass team.

BullNation4Life
12-06-2013, 10:02 AM
not defending his actions but if this was a 11-2 team, would be "he got caught up in the passion of the game" BUT it is what it is, Texans are 2-11 and all the antics the players do now is ridiculous, as it should be...

Oh and getting beat on a double pass trick play was icing on the proverbial cake for "Swagg" last night...

eriadoc
12-06-2013, 10:11 AM
too slow to react...the Texas way. Keo starting also mindbloggling....but he's slow, so I guess that's cool for this slowass team.

No way Keo should be starting, but the fact that he's not the worst starter says a lot.

I am a fan of DJS as well, but he seems to have adopted the Texans habit of unwarranted celebration. You're 2-11. Just do your job, STFU, and get back to the defensive huddle. So tired of watching these guys act like they've done something when it's ONE play in a season of fail.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
No way Keo should be starting, but the fact that he's not the worst starter says a lot.

I am a fan of DJS as well, but he seems to have adopted the Texans habit of unwarranted celebration. You're 2-11. Just do your job, STFU, and get back to the defensive huddle. So tired of watching these guys act like they've done something when it's ONE play in a season of fail.
He's no Chris Dishman. :clap:

Honoring Earl 34
12-06-2013, 10:16 AM
too slow to react...the Texas way. Keo starting also mindbloggling....but he's slow, so I guess that's cool for this slowass team.

To me DJS is a kid acting out wondering who is in charge .

Keo hit a 4.7 at the combine in the 40 . Wade liked him because he worked so hard at the East West Shrine game .

HOU-TEX
12-06-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't know why we insist on playing 3 safeties anyway. I understand Swearinger's used as a box safety a majority of the time, but why not use Harris instead of Keo? And for some reason we just started playing Pleasant. He's been the best S on the field the past couple of weeks

Honoring Earl 34
12-06-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't know why we insist on playing 3 safeties anyway. I understand Swearinger's used as a box safety a majority of the time, but why not use Harris instead of Keo? And for some reason we just started playing Pleasant. He's been the best S on the field the past couple of weeks

I'm sure he didn't have his locker clean .

Rey
12-06-2013, 10:23 AM
To me DJS is a kid acting out wondering who is in charge .

Keo hit a 4.7 at the combine in the 40 . Wade liked him because he worked so hard at the East West Shrine game .

LoL...swearinger thinks he's in charge.

Where is the leadership at man...I like dj, but someone needs to sit his ass down and put some proper thoughts in his head. 'He should know better, but inevitably teams are going to have players like this. It's up to team leadership to get them reigned in and hope they mature. If not move on.

Honoring Earl 34
12-06-2013, 10:32 AM
LoL...swearinger thinks he's in charge.

Where is the leadership at man...I like dj, but someone needs to sit his ass down and put some proper thoughts in his head. 'He should know better, but inevitably teams are going to have players like this. It's up to team leadership to get them reigned in and hope they mature. If not move on.

Eureka .... it just came to me . DJ ( a gamecock ) is working to get Clowney ( a gamecock ) , per Bob's ( a gamecock ) instruction .

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 10:39 AM

No.

What irks me is that we called a time-out to ***** him out and THEN left his ass in the game.

He owed us 6 points. 3 points that we probably would have gotten if we had gotten the ball and 3 points that we ended up giving up.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Eureka .... it just came to me . DJ ( a gamecock ) is working to get Clowney ( a gamecock ) , per Bob's ( a gamecock ) instruction .
yeah, but he seems like the only no-brainer can't miss type talent in the draft.

Brisco_County
12-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Swearinger has a maturity problem. Kubiak should've sent him to the showers like Mike Singleterry did to Vernon Davis. You can't let a rookie get away with being a diva.

The day that Swearinger said in training camp, "I feel like a second or third year player," a coach should've instructed some veterans to remind him of his place as a rookie. Pecking orders exist for a reason, and Swearinger's behavior last night is an example of why an immature kid shouldn't be allowed to circumvent it.

Honoring Earl 34
12-06-2013, 10:42 AM
yeah, but he seems like the only no-brainer can't miss type talent in the draft.

So DJ had to insure the Texans were there at #1 .

bash
12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Swearinger has a maturity problem. Kubiak should've sent him to the showers like Mike Singleterry did to Vernon Davis. You can't let a rookie get away with being a diva.

The day that Swearinger said in training camp, "I feel like a second or third year player," a coach should've instructed some veterans to remind him of his place as a rookie. Pecking orders exist for a reason, and Swearinger's behavior last night is an example of why an immature kid shouldn't be allowed to circumvent it.

Thanks. The damn announcers were having a field day with Swearinger and then after all that clapping he gets thrown and scored on.

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 02:22 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9UgFANMCdRE/UqE-fsNVgCI/AAAAAAAA9K0/py6ek-k3OJ0/s1600/3.gif

Farewell Kubes, this is how I will remember you.

Dishman
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
He's no Chris Dishman. :clap:

Damn right.

TheMatrix31
12-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I hate Swearinger. That guy is an unnecessarily cocky, arrogant, idiotic, and oblivious piece of crap.

I don't like players like that on my team. What a jibber-jabbering idiot.

SCOTTexans
12-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I think the everyone on this team thought thursday that if they do everything possible to make the coaching staff look like idiots they would get fired so they did....

and it worked so I'm happy with last night performance by everyone.

Vance87
12-06-2013, 03:28 PM
I think he can be a good safety, just has to get his mind right.

Brisco_County
12-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I think he can be a good safety, just has to get his mind right.

He is a good safety. But his immaturity helped lose a game and nudged a head coach towards his departure. He may grow up, he may not.

TheMatrix31
12-06-2013, 05:07 PM
I think the everyone on this team thought thursday that if they do everything possible to make the coaching staff look like idiots they would get fired so they did....

That's a lofty accusation. Where's your proof?

CloakNNNdagger
12-06-2013, 07:40 PM

From historical perspective, Swearinger simply can't help himself.........the next HC would do well to offer him a.........

http://img.skitch.com/20080620-b4qd9psuwxsjqamdxycwrpdtxm.jpg

acal21
12-06-2013, 07:49 PM
not defending his actions but if this was a 11-2 team, would be "he got caught up in the passion of the game" BUT it is what it is, Texans are 2-11 and all the antics the players do now is ridiculous, as it should be...

Oh and getting beat on a double pass trick play was icing on the proverbial cake for "Swagg" last night...

Not even sure they throw the flag if the texans are 11-2

It looked like the refs were throwing flags for having to be at that game

LEATHERHEAD
12-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Not even sure they throw the flag if the texans are 11-2

It looked like the refs were throwing flags for having to be at that game

Thats Funny...Best thing I have read:goodpost:

Wolf
12-09-2013, 09:04 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/The-message-given-to-DJ-Swearinger/6645e1ea-9f26-4256-aecb-0cd685018fc8

Phillips gave him a mesage

Thorn
12-10-2013, 07:59 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/The-message-given-to-DJ-Swearinger/6645e1ea-9f26-4256-aecb-0cd685018fc8

Phillips gave him a mesage

Hopefully he was listening.

Scooter
12-10-2013, 08:14 AM
great player, but two bad habits that we knew he had still need to be broken. he's a hitter instead of a tackler (as seen on a 60+ yard TD run that he got trucked), and he lets his emotions get the better of him.

thunderkyss
12-10-2013, 03:57 PM

What's mind boggling, is that Will Demps is kicking as5 in Kansas City.

thunderkyss
12-10-2013, 03:59 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9UgFANMCdRE/UqE-fsNVgCI/AAAAAAAA9K0/py6ek-k3OJ0/s1600/3.gif

Farewell Kubes, this is how I will remember you.

Look at Vance & Wade's face.

Priceless.

CloakNNNdagger
12-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Look at Wade's face.

Priceless.

Looks like he watching the replay like some of the others in the gif........definitely priceless!

TexansSeminole
12-11-2013, 06:43 AM
I don't realy think Swearinger is all that great. He is pretty consistently missing tackles. Obviously, he got epically trucked bad in the one game, missed a crucial tackle on a guy out in the flats early in the season, among others. He's been caught a few times in coverage holding because he was beat.

His attitude problem is terrible. He doesn't look like he listens to his coaches either. I know the team is on a horrible losing streak and you may not love your coach, but if you are a rookie and you are making back to back bonehead plays, just stfu and listen to your coach. He can't even do that. He cost us points and then is still talking back to the coach. That whole episode showed me much of what I need to know about him. I don't think that's something you "grow out of," more likely it's just something that is in him. He just looks like he isn't in control of himself. Controlled rage is good on the field, but nobody wants a guy that can't control himself.

Look at this draft class guys. It's horrendous. The entire class, outside of Hopkins, is bad or was injured early on. I can't remember a draft class that contributed less in its first year.

TheIronDuke
12-11-2013, 07:40 AM
I don't realy think Swearinger is all that great. He is pretty consistently missing tackles. Obviously, he got epically trucked bad in the one game, missed a crucial tackle on a guy out in the flats early in the season, among others. He's been caught a few times in coverage holding because he was beat.

His attitude problem is terrible. He doesn't look like he listens to his coaches either. I know the team is on a horrible losing streak and you may not love your coach, but if you are a rookie and you are making back to back bonehead plays, just stfu and listen to your coach. He can't even do that. He cost us points and then is still talking back to the coach. That whole episode showed me much of what I need to know about him. I don't think that's something you "grow out of," more likely it's just something that is in him. He just looks like he isn't in control of himself. Controlled rage is good on the field, but nobody wants a guy that can't control himself.

Look at this draft class guys. It's horrendous. The entire class, outside of Hopkins, is bad or was injured early on. I can't remember a draft class that contributed less in its first year.

It's probably pretty close to the 2007 draft class. Rick really sucks at drafting and it's a damn shame we're going to be stuck with him screwing up draft after draft. I also think Swearinger is never going to be more than an average box safety, a crappier version of Pollard.

TheIronDuke
12-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Man, look at our drafts in 2007 and 2008, blech.

1/10 (from Atlanta) Amobi Okoye Defensive tackle Louisville
3/73 Jacoby Jones* Wide receiver Lane
4/123 (from New Orleans) Fred Bennett Cornerback South Carolina
5/144 Brandon Harrison Safety Stanford
5/163 (from New Orleans) Brandon Frye Offensive tackle Virginia Tech
6/183 Kasey Studdard Offensive guard Texas
7/218 Zac Diles Linebacker Kansas State

1/26 (from Baltimore) Duane Brown Offensive tackle Virginia Tech
3/79 Antwaun Molden Cornerback Eastern Kentucky
3/89 (from Baltimore) Steve Slaton Running back West Virginia
4/118 Xavier Adibi Linebacker Virginia Tech
5/151 Frank Okam Defensive tackle Texas
6/173 (from Baltimore) Dominique Barber Safety Minnesota
7/223 Alex Brink Quarterback Washington State

gafftop
12-11-2013, 07:48 AM

Agree.

Why are we keeping Smith? Hopkins is OK for what he is but Texans need speed.

Is DJ just small? In his short career he has had a few very memorable butt whippings.

Playoffs
04-17-2014, 08:23 PM
JungleBoi Swagg on the mound...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bldt0E7CAAAOLf3.jpg

TexansSeminole
04-17-2014, 08:47 PM
I was full of rage when talking about DJ during the year, given how terrible the team was. I still feel somewhat the same way. Maybe he does mature, but that episode was facepalm worthy.

Vinny
04-18-2014, 07:07 AM
I was full of rage when talking about DJ during the year, given how terrible the team was. I still feel somewhat the same way. Maybe he does mature, but that episode was facepalm worthy.

I'm not big on DJ or Hopkins as elite players. We just have to do a better job drafting starting in a few weeks.

steelbtexan
04-18-2014, 08:07 AM
JungleBoi Swagg on the mound...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bldt0E7CAAAOLf3.jpg

Swagg is a lefty

As a fellow lefty that explains some things.

steelbtexan
04-18-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm not big on DJ or Hopkins as elite players. We just have to do a better job drafting starting in a few weeks.

Solid players, nothing special, hopefully they improve in yr 2.

I'm sure Rick Smith had nothing to do with their drafting.

WolverineFan
04-18-2014, 11:34 AM

Hopkins played pretty good as a rookie. Will he be elite? I doubt he ever becomes a dominant #1, but he can be a solid one or a really good #2. Remember that he was drafted late in the 1st round. The elite guys are typically gone by then.

As for Swearinger, he was a 2nd round pick who started a bunch of games as a rookie. He had his struggles, but let's see how he does with a new DC and an upgrade at FS next to him.

thunderkyss
04-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Hopkins played pretty good as a rookie. Will he be elite? I doubt he ever becomes a dominant #1, but he can be a solid one or a really good #2. Remember that he was drafted late in the 1st round. The elite guys are typically gone by then.

I think he can be a dominant #1, but there are a lot of things that would have to go right. Being the next Jerry Rice is more about heart & dedication than talent.

I wouldn't act like he is, or that he will be. If I had an opportunity to sign an elite WR, & it makes sense to do so at that time, I'd do it.

But playing with Andre is going to help him like playing with Marvin Harrison helped Reggie Wayne... having Peyton Manning throwing him the ball didn't hurt either, so that's the other variable. We've got to find the right QB.

Vinny
04-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Hopkins played pretty good as a rookie. Will he be elite? I doubt he ever becomes a dominant #1, but he can be a solid one or a really good #2. Remember that he was drafted late in the 1st round. The elite guys are typically gone by then.Lots of big time wrs come late in the 1st. Hopkins is just Jabbar Gaffney with big hands. Same separation but with better hands. Nothing special. You can get that in round 3. You're supposed to get your "dominant #1's in rd1 or rd2. We got the dickflash kid out of our rd1 when we should have taken Cordarrelle Patterson (now that's a good pick). I wanted Patterson b4 the draft but we just had to get the Kubes fit.

Texan in Japan
04-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Lots of big time wrs come late in the 1st. Hopkins is just Jabbar Gaffney with big hands. Same separation but with better hands. Nothing special. You can get that in round 3. You're supposed to get your "dominant #1's in rd1 or rd2. We got the dickflash kid out of our rd1 when we should have taken Cordarrelle Patterson (now that's a good pick). I wanted Patterson b4 the draft but we just had to get the Kubes fit.

Agreed. Patterson has the game changing skills that once honed could have been the #1 to replace AJ. I couldn't believe he was there when our pick came up and then we passed on him. I gave the FO slack because they know more than me, but considering their impact in year 1, Patterson is a difference maker, while Hopkins is a solid #2. Hopkins may step up as a soph, but he just isn't as talented as Patterson IMHO.

thunderkyss
04-20-2014, 01:48 PM
I gave the FO slack because they know more than me, but considering their impact in year 1, Patterson is a difference maker, while Hopkins is a solid #2. Hopkins may step up as a soph, but he just isn't as talented as Patterson IMHO.

Patterson's best contribution was on punt returns. Based on their first year's performance, Hopkins appears to be the much better choice.

We can't say that he had an advantage at QB, or that he was on the better team. Sure we've got Andre, but they've got Petterson... teams playing the Vikings were either putting nine in the box or jumping on the play fake.

steelbtexan
04-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Lots of big time wrs come late in the 1st. Hopkins is just Jabbar Gaffney with big hands. Same separation but with better hands. Nothing special. You can get that in round 3. You're supposed to get your "dominant #1's in rd1 or rd2. We got the dickflash kid out of our rd1 when we should have taken Cordarrelle Patterson (now that's a good pick). I wanted Patterson b4 the draft but we just had to get the Kubes fit.

Agreed

Things like this are why Gary and Rick should be gone. Even though Kopkins isn't a bad player, he's certainly not a differencemaker.

Vinny
04-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Patterson's best contribution was on punt returns. Based on their first year's performance, Hopkins appears to be the much better choice.

We can't say that he had an advantage at QB, or that he was on the better team. Sure we've got Andre, but they've got Petterson... teams playing the Vikings were either putting nine in the box or jumping on the play fake.
I guess you didn't watch many Viking games then. He was more impressive in every way over Hopkins. Plenty of nice plays from scrimmage and for extra credit you can enjoy the rac that Hopkins only dreams about at 2:17 where he takes the pitch lined up as a rb from the I formation and scores. Reality and versitility trumps imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Y9Tee8vbs

ArlingtonTexan
04-20-2014, 11:19 PM
I guess you didn't watch many Viking games then. He was more impressive in every way over Hopkins. Plenty of nice plays from scrimmage and for extra credit you can enjoy the rac that Hopkins only dreams about at 2:17 where he takes the pitch lined up as a rb from the I formation and scores. Reality and versitility trumps imagination.

I think this is a situation where the type of team/organization that you go to matters. If it is a player matters more than system team then Patterson works (remember Vikings had Harvin small Patterson with headaches) versus a system over player team. Hopkins is a better "more polished' dude than the raw Patterson. Methinks Patterson in Houston would have been a bigger and better Jacoby, but we would have been looking at Hopkins or allen with glowing eyes if Patterson was a part of 2013 Texans.

steelbtexan
04-21-2014, 12:18 AM
I think this is a situation where the type of team/organization that you go to matters. If it is a player matters more than system team then Patterson works (remember Vikings had Harvin small Patterson with headaches) versus a system over player team. Hopkins is a better "more polished' dude than the raw Patterson. Methinks Patterson in Houston would have been a bigger and better Jacoby, but we would have been looking at Hopkins or allen with glowing eyes if Patterson was a part of 2013 Texans.

Me likes the odds of picking the most talented players and adjusting the scheme to fit the talent.

You know like the good teams do.

sandman
04-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Me likes the odds of picking the most talented players and adjusting the scheme to fit the talent.

You know like the good teams do.

Tom Brady has thrown a TD to over 50 different receivers in his career. Here is a list of those that have caught at least 10:

Deion Branch (24)
Troy Brown (15)
Kevin Faulk (10)
Christian Fauria (13)
David Givens (12)
Daniel Graham (17)
Rob Gronkowski (39)
Aaron Hernandez (18)
Randy Moss (39)
David Patten (16)
Ben Watson (17)
Wes Welker (34)

Outside of a Randy Moss at the end of his career, who on this list does not fit the Patriots scheme of TE's with good hands, an undersized possession WR or a RB?

We continually hold up the Pats as the model franchise, and yet they are not changing their scheme for talent. They are getting talent that will be successful in their scheme.

sandman
04-21-2014, 08:35 AM

Actually, with playing in all 16 games and having less than 500 receiving yards, he didn't have that much YAC consistently. He barely averaged 10 yards per reception. He only had 19 first downs (38 for Hopkins), 7 receptions that were over 20 yards (12 for Hopkins), and 4 TD's (2 for Hopkins) so I'm not sure how the disparity between the total yards and average per catch between the two dictate that he is "more impressive in every way" as a WR.

And for Christ's sake, there were pre-season games on his highlight video. :kubepalm:

steelbtexan
04-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Tom Brady has thrown a TD to over 50 different receivers in his career. Here is a list of those that have caught at least 10:

Deion Branch (24)
Troy Brown (15)
Kevin Faulk (10)
Christian Fauria (13)
David Givens (12)
Daniel Graham (17)
Rob Gronkowski (39)
Aaron Hernandez (18)
Randy Moss (39)
David Patten (16)
Ben Watson (17)
Wes Welker (34)

Outside of a Randy Moss at the end of his career, who on this list does not fit the Patriots scheme of TE's with good hands, an undersized possession WR or a RB?

We continually hold up the Pats as the model franchise, and yet they are not changing their scheme for talent. They are getting talent that will be successful in their scheme.

They also have/had guys with world class speed to stretch the field. (Moss/Bethel Johnson/Slater etc.... Who is currently on the roster with that kind of speed at any position including ST's? Johnson was a gunner/KR/PR guy. Slater is one of the best ST's guys in the NFL.

Also the Pats have had a RB in each of the 5 yr cycles that are very fast and contribute on ST's Faulk/Woodhead/Vereen.

So yes, the Pats have a system but they adapt their system to fit their players. This is the reason I think a Sims/Archer would be great fits in BOB's offense.

CloakNNNdagger
04-21-2014, 09:32 AM
:confused: Am I missing something or are the Texans considering Swearinger at WR this season?:thinking:

HOU-TEX
04-21-2014, 09:33 AM
:confused: Am I missing something or are the Texans considering Swearinger at WR this season?:thinking:

:spit:

Yup, and Watt is our new kick returner

sandman
04-21-2014, 01:14 PM

Guilty. Can't seem to have a convo on any thread without it devolving into a Smithiak referendum.

I think the point I was trying to make was that this team had a historically bad year that appears to be an outlier in their overall trend of the Kubiak regime. Think 6 wins to 12 wins in six years before this debacle. (not going to talk about Kubes. He is gone. Let's see if OB can take the next step) So why are we judging the future ability of the rookies based on the dynamics of that major goat rodeo?

IMHO, had this last season not been what it was, his apparent/perceived issues would have been addressed much more deliberately. As it was, hit tackling skills and loose tongue were but drops in the drama bucket for this team last year.

Let Swearinger - and Hopkins - have a go at it in their Sophomore season before we start declaring they are early round busts. I personally wouldn't wish that rookie season atmosphere on any high draft pick. Unless they were on the Titans. Or the Eagles (says my old inner-Cowboy fan)...

bckey
04-24-2014, 05:15 AM

Yeah, not taking Patterson was a head scratcher. The Vikings moved up and jumped on him after the Texans passed on him. I will throw a 3rd rounder out there that blows away Hopkins. Keenan Allen. I'm ok with Hopkins but like you said the Texans got the Kubiak fit. Man I'm glad he is gone to the Ravens.

thunderkyss
04-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Yeah, not taking Patterson was a head scratcher. The Vikings moved up and jumped on him after the Texans passed on him. I will throw a 3rd rounder out there that blows away Hopkins. Keenan Allen. I'm ok with Hopkins but like you said the Texans got the Kubiak fit. Man I'm glad he is gone to the Ravens.

Keenan Allen blew away Patterson & Austin as well, by a wider margin.

CloakNNNdagger
04-24-2014, 01:23 PM
You think someone could please start another thread on WRs, and leave this one to discussion of Swearinger-related posts?

steelbtexan
04-24-2014, 06:18 PM

Tandon Doss should be a good fit in Kubiak's offense.

I really think Swearinger is really going to improve under the new coaching staff. Dude has talent, he just needs to play with more disicipline. I hope the next coaching staff will bring this quality.

acal21
04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Clicked on the thread hoping to read some good news about swearinger but i guess we are trying to judge a WR after one year? Okay c'mon unless he is freaky athlete you gotta give him some time to develop.. i honestly don't wanna waste my time looking up some of the better WRS numbers in their rookie year

Vinny
04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Clicked on the thread hoping to read some good news about swearinger but i guess we are trying to judge a WR after one year? Okay c'mon unless he is freaky athlete you gotta give him some time to develop.. i honestly don't wanna waste my time looking up some of the better WRS numbers in their rookie yearI'm off topic here (my bad) but wanted to answer this...sure. It's called having an opinion. He has every right to get better, stay the same or get worse. The opinion is altered once new evidence is presented. That's why we make these forums....for our "judgments/opinions" about players, coaches, teams or strategies. We could always just run with what ESPN tells us though.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
04-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Anybody on this thread wanna chat about Swearinger??!!:kitten:

thunderkyss
04-25-2014, 05:57 PM

Who?

drs23
04-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Na, that's gotta be a thread with a different title.

acal21
04-25-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm off topic here (my bad) but wanted to answer this...sure. It's called having an opinion. He has every right to get better, stay the same or get worse. The opinion is altered once new evidence is presented. That's why we make these forums....for our "judgments/opinions" about players, coaches, teams or strategies. We could always just run with what ESPN tells us though.

ESPN is talking about Hopkins?

I didn't say no one should have an opinion, I was just saying it is stupid to try and knock on a WR that has been in the league for 1 year

CloakNNNdagger
04-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Dustin Keller is going to try to make it back, after having his knee obliterated by Swearinger in last preseason.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
04-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Na, that's gotta be a thread with a different title.

Lol

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Came across what I found interesting from PFF.

Sig Stats: Run Stop Percentage, DBs
Gordon McGuinness | July 30, 2014

Safeties (All Plays) – The Top Five

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/S-RSP.png

There are two ways in which we look at safeties and we’ll start with all plays regardless of where they line up on the field. In this regard, it’s the Houston Texans’ D.J. Swearinger leading the way but, like Porter at cornerback, he saw his overall grade against the run take a big hit with eight missed tackles. That’s something that can be improved upon, though, and if it does we could see an impressive second season from him.link (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/30/sig-stats-run-stop-percentage-dbs/)

Swearinger will have to pick up his coverage and tackling skills (too many critical missed tackles after the catch), though, if he is to become a well-balanced safety factor.

Carr Bombed
07-31-2014, 08:31 AM
link (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/30/sig-stats-run-stop-percentage-dbs/)

Swearinger will have to pick up his coverage and tackling skills (too many critical missed tackles after the catch), though, if he is to become a well-balanced safety factor.

Well I hope he becomes a great player, because outside of him and Hopkins last year's draft is looking like a complete wash.

HOU-TEX
07-31-2014, 08:46 AM
I might be a bit critical of DJ and hope he does get better, but last season he wasn't much more than a box safety. A Roy Williams type

Carr Bombed
07-31-2014, 08:57 AM
I might be a bit critical of DJ and hope he does get better, but last season he wasn't much more than a box safety. A Roy Williams type

If what we hear about this system is correct (true FS and SS) this system should play more to his strenghths.

thunderkyss
07-31-2014, 11:51 AM
link (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/30/sig-stats-run-stop-percentage-dbs/)

No offense CnD, but looking at the kind of criticism you've assessed on Swearinger, I get the feeling people forget he was a rookie. Like they expected him to be Ed Reed (the HOF Ed Reed) from day 1, when Ed Reed wasn't that good from day 1.

Yes Swag has a lot to improve on but from listening to him talk, he's well aware of it & he's working in that direction.

DX-TEX
07-31-2014, 11:55 AM
No offense CnD, but looking at the kind of criticism you've assessed on Swearinger, I get the feeling people forget he was a rookie. Like they expected him to be Ed Reed (the HOF Ed Reed) from day 1, when Ed Reed wasn't that good from day 1.

Yes Swag has a lot to improve on but from listening to him talk, he's well aware of it & he's working in that direction.

And he has completely bought into what this staff is selling. O brien calling him out to be a leader publically says a ton IMO

DocBar
07-31-2014, 01:59 PM
And he has completely bought into what this staff is selling. O brien calling him out to be a leader publically says a ton IMOQFT. :handshake:

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2014, 02:35 PM

I have no idea how you got the idea I directed harsh criticism towards Swearinger. I simply pointed out what he would need to work on to be the safety he, the team and fans want him to be.

He was placed close to the box by Wade a great deal of the time after Cushing went down to try and plug the run stop sieve. As teams are showing more and more shotgun, it will not be surprising to me to see what we seen in college.....a lot of the 3 safety formations.

As a side note, on some of those whiffed tackles he actually did emulate the 2013 version of HOF Ed Reed. :)

TejasTom
07-31-2014, 03:45 PM
...As a side note, on some of those whiffed tackles he actually did emulate the 2013 version of HOF Ed Reed. :)

Touché

xtruroyaltyx
07-31-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm a swearinger fan. A big swearinger fan. He and Hopkins were easily my two favorite picks from their draft. Followed by griffin and jones.

Some of those other guys had potential, iiwii right now.

Swagg needs to become a better tackler. More under control. Take the big shots, but be true.

Coverage....that's another area. But I think he's pretty fundamental, but he needs to just refine it.

TexansSeminole
08-12-2014, 08:47 PM
People keep talking about the ineptitude of Brandon Harris, and rightfully so, but swag boy has been nearly as bad. In the first drive alone, he gave up huge plays to let the Cards convert first downs. It's not even that he was beat, he was horribly beaten or completely lost. On one play, he completely turned around in what appeared to be short zone coverage and the ball was promptly placed where it appeared he was supposed to be. It's not a good deal when your inside cover guys are consistently beat and I am concerned that we are in for a lot of that this year.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
08-12-2014, 08:48 PM
People keep talking about the ineptitude of Brandon Harris, and rightfully so, but swag boy has been nearly as bad. In the first drive alone, he gave up huge plays to let the Cards concert first downs. It's not even that he was beat, he was horribly beaten or completely lost. It's not a good deal when your inside cover guys are consistently beat and I am concerned that we are in for a lot of that this year.

I believe one of his knocks out of college was being over aggressive this misreading plays

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Swearinger is still my guy.

TexansSeminole
08-12-2014, 08:52 PM

I was happy about the potential, but watching him is damn hard. He needs to pull a complete 180 here in the next few weeks or we are really in for some hurt. I'm already convinced that Harris is going to be consistently beat in the slot.

I believe one of his knocks out of college was being over aggressive this misreading plays

And that honestly would be one thing, where he bites on a fake or goes for the INT when in zone but misses. Turning your back to the QB in what appeared to be short zone is just terrible play.

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 09:00 PM
I was happy about the potential, but watching him is damn hard. He needs to pull a complete 180 here in the next few weeks or we are really in for some hurt. I'm already convinced that Harris is going to be consistently beat in the slot.

Kareem is supposed to be playing in the slot now.

Harris already looks to have been bumped down the depth chart. Bouye was practicing ahead of him today.

As far as swearinger goes...two systems in two years...not great in pass coverage. Has to really work at it due to physical limitations. But I think if he can get zoned in and master this defense he'll be a plus player.

He's got about a year to prove himself. Maybe if he's really that bad they'll find someone to take his spot sooner than later.

Just saying I still like him as the ss.

But the way I feel about players abilities won't cloud my judgement. I'll call em like I see em and when it's time to move on, so be it.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 09:04 PM
People keep talking about the ineptitude of Brandon Harris, and rightfully so, but swag boy has been nearly as bad. In the first drive alone, he gave up huge plays to let the Cards convert first downs. It's not even that he was beat, he was horribly beaten or completely lost. On one play, he completely turned around in what appeared to be short zone coverage and the ball was promptly placed where it appeared he was supposed to be. It's not a good deal when your inside cover guys are consistently beat and I am concerned that we are in for a lot of that this year.

And that honestly would be one thing, where he bites on a fake or goes for the INT when in zone but misses. Turning your back to the QB in what appeared to be short zone is just terrible play.There have been times that the CB's and other safety have left him hanging, also. DB play is so damned hard to judge because we, as fans, have no idea of who should've been doing what 90% of the time.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 09:08 PM

Harris already looks to have been bumped down the depth chart. Bouye was practicing ahead of him today.

As far as swearinger goes...two systems in two years...not great in pass coverage. Has to really work at it due to physical limitations. But I think if he can get zoned in and master this defense he'll be a plus player.

He's got about a year to prove himself. Maybe if he's really that bad they'll find someone to take his spot sooner than later.

But the way I feel about players abilities won't cloud my judgement. I'll call em like I see em and when it's time to move on, so be it.I love the passion and the big hits DJ brings, but he needs to have a bit less swag and a bit more lunchbox. Like someone else posted, make the big hit, but be true to proper tackling. Shoulder chucks don't knock down many NFL players. They show up on ESPN for all the wrong reasons.
Very valid point about 2 systems in 2 years. The guy's head has to be spinning right now. If he can show some discipline, I'll be happy with him.

thunderkyss
08-13-2014, 09:01 AM

& Brandon Harris is still mine.

TEXANRED
08-13-2014, 09:35 AM

:backsout:

DX-TEX
08-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Did anyone else catch his post on Twitter right after the game Saturday? Had a Vine video of his special teams hit that could easily have been a penalty. Bragging it up.

Completely ignored the fact his team just got curb stomped 32-0

HOU-TEX
08-13-2014, 09:44 AM

:backsout:

LOL

ObsiWan
08-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Did anyone else catch his post on Twitter right after the game Saturday? Had a Vine video of his special teams hit that could easily have been a penalty. Bragging it up.

He's just trying to be the best teammate he can be
:kitten:

sandman
08-14-2014, 04:48 AM

When you want a team with more Bad Boy than Choir Boy, you have to take both the good and bad parts of the Bad Boys. Let's hope his good outweighs his bad this season. Dude has a LOT of swagger, so it may be tough.

TexansSeminole
08-14-2014, 05:24 AM

Jungle Boi Swag isn't the smartest. He's also taking Instagram selfie videos while driving sooo.....

But the way I feel about players abilities won't cloud my judgement. I'll call em like I see em and when it's time to move on, so be it.

I like the idea of Kareem in the slot on some downs. We've always liked his ability to play the short stuff and that's what he will be doing there most of the time.

ObsiWan
08-14-2014, 07:42 AM
When you want a team with more Bad Boy than Choir Boy, you have to take both the good and bad parts of the Bad Boys. Let's hope his good outweighs his bad this season. Dude has a LOT of swagger, so it may be tough.
"Swagger" can be quite counterproductive when not tempered with some intelligence.

CloakNNNdagger
08-29-2014, 09:55 PM

D.J. Swearinger not fined for hit

Updated: August 29, 2014, 9:30 PM ET

By Tania Ganguli | ESPN.com

HOUSTON -- Texans safety D.J. Swearinger was not fined for a hit on Broncos receiver Wes Welker that drew a penalty last weekend, Swearinger told ESPN.com on Thursday night.

The safety made the hit with his shoulder but wound up colliding with Welker's head. The hit caused Welker's third concussion in nine months and he immediately left the game.

Denver quarterback Peyton Manning was so upset about the hit that he yelled at Swearinger, who is in his second season out of South Carolina, following the next play. Then, Manning received the first taunting penalty of his career. Manning was fined $8,268 for the taunt, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

"I believe that that particular hit was a bang-bang play where he was leading with his shoulder and at the last second Welk caught the pass and kind of ducked to make sure that he was protecting himself on the hit and it ended up being a shoulder into the head/neck area," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Friday. "It was a very bang-bang play. Like I said last week, D.J. was not trying to do harm to anybody. D.J., in our building, has a good reputation as a guy that works extremely hard."

An NFL spokesman confirmed Friday that Swearinger drew no fine for the play.

thetexanator
08-29-2014, 09:58 PM
if we wanted a bernard pollard, couldnt we have kept bernard and spent that 2nd rd pick on someone else.

Vance87
08-30-2014, 01:18 AM
The...No Fine League?! Amazing!

thunderkyss
08-30-2014, 05:07 AM
if we wanted a bernard pollard, couldnt we have kept bernard and spent that 2nd rd pick on someone else.

Wade could do no wrong.

EllisUnit
08-30-2014, 12:24 PM

i think it is the right call, not DJs fault that Welker ducked after he caught the ball and DJs shoulder hit his head

DocBar
08-30-2014, 01:38 PM
i think it is the right call, not DJs fault that Welker ducked after he caught the ball and DJs shoulder hit his headGreat non-fine. I'm shocked by it but very happy. The 15 yards was more than enough punishment.

xtruroyaltyx
09-23-2014, 08:41 AM
DJ's dog Blooh has his own instagram account: http://instagram.com/dat_dude_blooh

DJ's been on 610 this morning for the player's show.

disaacks3
09-23-2014, 08:43 AM
DJ's dog Blooh has his own instagram account: http://instagram.com/dat_dude_blooh

DJ's been on 610 this morning for the player's show. Nick Wright was betting he'd say something to get himself in trouble. How's he doing so far?

xtruroyaltyx
09-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Nick Wright was betting he'd say something to get himself in trouble. How's he doing so far?

I was half listening, half working...But I didn't hear anything that would get him in trouble. Seemed to come of pretty well from what I heard.

ChampionTexan
09-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Nick Wright was betting he'd say something to get himself in trouble. How's he doing so far?

I was half listening, half working...But I didn't hear anything that would get him in trouble. Seemed to come of pretty well from what I heard.

Every time I turn around, DJ's on the radio - has a weekly show on 97.5, and it seems like he shows up on both 610 and 790 more than the station his show is on.

He's had ample opportunities to get himself in trouble, and I'm not aware of anything so far. Don't know why anyone would be expecting it today.

nero THE zero
09-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Every time I turn around, DJ's on the radio - has a weekly show on 97.5, and it seems like he shows up on both 610 and 790 more than the station his show is on.

He's had ample opportunities to get himself in trouble, and I'm not aware of anything so far. Don't know why anyone would be expecting it today.

He was just trying to hook listeners.

I don't know how it works, but I'd suspect his show gets credit for the ratings that Texans Radio pulls during his time slot (if someone knows differently, correct me).

ObsiWan
09-23-2014, 11:30 AM
He was just trying to hook listeners.

I don't know how it works, but I'd suspect his show gets credit for the ratings that Texans Radio pulls during his time slot (if someone knows differently, correct me).
If they'd fire Wright's a$$ that would go a long way toward improving the quality of the station

False Start
09-23-2014, 01:01 PM
If they'd fire Wright's a$$ that would go a long way toward improving the quality of the station
Right on man. Dude is trash IMO. He's like the new version of Josh Innes.

nero THE zero
09-23-2014, 01:21 PM
I like Wright better than Innes--I think he is infinitely more knowledgeable about sports--but he does have that same shock jock element to his schtick that Innes did/does, which I dislike.

Honestly, I think Houston sports radio is in a really weird place right now with all of its best programming in the lunch time slots.

HOU-TEX
09-23-2014, 01:35 PM
I like Wright better than Innes--I think he is infinitely more knowledgeable about sports--but he does have that same shock jock element to his schtick that Innes did/does, which I dislike.

Honestly, I think Houston sports radio is in a really weird place right now with all of its best programming in the lunch time slots.

Yup. That's the only time I listen. I like Payne and they're usually always talking football.

Wright's an asshat. Lopez is a clueless brown noser. I can handle the afternoon every once in a while. Rich Lord should retire

ObsiWan
09-23-2014, 05:27 PM
I like Wright better than Innes--I think he is infinitely more knowledgeable about sports....

Okay, I'll give you that much...
since, mathematically, one divided by zero is infinity
:)

jtexas
09-25-2014, 07:42 AM

I agree but wonder if the quality of the program has anything to do with the length of time. The lunch slots seem to get to the point where as Lance Z (who i really enjoy 90% of the time) is doing improv skits every segment now.

TEXANRED
09-25-2014, 08:22 AM

I liked Wright in the beginning. Then he started his holier than though crap. Payne and Meltser work really good together. My favorite was the Fred and Ted show. Then a listener got Fred fired. I don't like Ted nearly as much with Lord and Pendergast.

ChampionTexan
09-25-2014, 09:01 AM
I agree but wonder if the quality of the program has anything to do with the length of time. The lunch slots seem to get to the point where as Lance Z (who i really enjoy 90% of the time) is doing improv skits every segment now.

I'm a huge fan of Lance, but no so much most of his characters. Still, I'd rather listen to any of those characters than Adam Clanton, so whatever it takes to reduce Clanton's airtime I'm all for.