PDA

View Full Version : Texans have officially re-signed T Ryan Harris

Heath Shuler
04-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Texans have officially re-signed T Ryan Harris

#Texans have officially re-signed T Ryan Harris, who played in all 16 games last season with 2 starts

‏@NickScurfield

https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/321404746856529920

disaacks3
04-08-2013, 07:09 PM
woo hoo

Fili
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
inb4:trophy:

Texan_Bill
04-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Hooshamazilli? .......... "CHAMPIONSHIP!"

IDEXAN
04-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Got some depth at RT, good deal.

aussie_texan
04-08-2013, 08:08 PM
now to sign a mid round tackle in the draft to compete and tackle seems complete

tru80texan
04-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Got some depth at RT, good deal.

Depth..he could end up the starter depending on Newton's injury & recovery.

Uncle Rico
04-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Wasnt Harris a top draft pick himself? Perhaps he can step his game up too and solidify the right side with Harris. I dont really care who it is, but this coming year I would like some continuity, subbing guys in and out should stay in the amateur ranks.

Playoffs
04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
This is a good signing. Harris' issues are more injury related than execution. New FB should make him even better.

Hervoyel
04-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Harris is a fine player, 3rd round pick and not at all bad for what we do. He could start on the right side if Newton never puts it together. He had back surgery though and was waived/injured at one point and I think there are still questions about whether his back is up to the job

The Pencil Neck
04-09-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm good with this. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at RT to start the season and he could actually end up being really good with a full off-season in the system... health permitting.

Corrosion
04-09-2013, 01:18 AM
This was pretty much expected as the Texans only have Gardner and Brown healthy at OT .... He played for the vet min last year , this contract is probably the same vet min.

I agree with the concensus - good signing (and a cheap one) , Harris may end up the opening day starter pending Newtons recovery. Still expect a draft choice to be used on the position tho probably mid to late round.

IDEXAN
04-09-2013, 07:01 AM
This was pretty much expected as the Texans only have Gardner and Brown healthy at OT .... He played for the vet min last year , this contract is probably the same vet min.

I agree with the concensus - good signing (and a cheap one) , Harris may end up the opening day starter pending Newtons recovery. Still expect a draft choice to be used on the position tho probably mid to late round.
I'm betting it's gonna be earlier than that, but of course it all depends on who's on the Board when the Texans' pick(s) roll around ?

El Tejano
04-09-2013, 08:06 AM
We will still go round 1 OT. These guys are going to get us to game 8 before the rookie starts consistently.

Corrosion
04-09-2013, 08:48 AM
We will still go round 1 OT. These guys are going to get us to game 8 before the rookie starts consistently.

TBH That wouldnt bother me one bit .... depending upon who they take there @ 27. (Artmstead?)

El Tejano
04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
TBH That wouldnt bother me one bit .... depending upon who they take there @ 27. (Artmstead?)

Exactly what I'm thinking.

I like Armstead but I also like Brennan Williams because he's played in our system. That's why we got TJ Yates from NC. The only thing that concerns me is the shoulder injury in his senior year, but if we got good depth at that RT spot we don't need to bring along the rookie so fast.

badboy
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Good signing & one I expected. Harris could be even better if healed. I will keep Brennan Williams at #95 on my mock. I could see one of these slide to RG in 2014 with Brooks replacing Smith. Brown, Brooks, Jones, Brennan, Newton. I could see Harris being offered a longer deal in 2014.

NCTexan
04-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Exactly what I'm thinking.

I like Armstead but I also like Brennan Williams because he's played in our system. That's why we got TJ Yates from NC. The only thing that concerns me is the shoulder injury in his senior year, but if we got good depth at that RT spot we don't need to bring along the rookie so fast.

Brennan Williams is solid, but we should be able to get him in the second. I'd be a bit worried to wait until our picks in the third though.

badboy
04-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Brennan Williams is solid, but we should be able to get him in the second. I'd be a bit worried to wait until our picks in the third though.Not trying to speak for Tejano but think he was saying Williams brings a lot as does the other guy but at a lower round thereby increasing value. Brennan can be had in third.

mussop
04-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Good signing & one I expected. Harris could be even better if healed. I will keep Brennan Williams at #95 on my mock. I could see one of these slide to RG in 2014 with Brooks replacing Smith. Brown, Brooks, Jones, Brennan, Newton. I could see Harris being offered a longer deal in 2014.

Why move Brooks to the left side? He's most likely the starter on the right side.

ASidd_1990
04-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know the details of the contract? Would be pissed if its anything more the league min.

badboy
04-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Why move Brooks to the left side? He's most likely the starter on the right side.
Remember I said replace Smith in 2014. Brooks is a natural left guard playing all his games at Miami of Ohio there and in 2011 LG or LT as a starter. Despite his girth I liked his feet and now he has reduced weight. In zone blocking he is able to move down the line tying up his guy. He is just incredibly strong and one more year will make him ready for left. I'd rather have him next to Brown also.

NCTexan
04-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Not trying to speak for Tejano but think he was saying Williams brings a lot as does the other guy but at a lower round thereby increasing value. Brennan can be had in third.

Oh yes! That case I agree 100%!

IDEXAN
04-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Remember I said replace Smith in 2014. Brooks is a natural left guard playing all his games at Miami of Ohio there and in 2011 LG or LT as a starter. Despite his girth I liked his feet and now he has reduced weight. In zone blocking he is able to move down the line tying up his guy. He is just incredibly strong and one more year will make him ready for left. I'd rather have him next to Brown also.
How would you define a "natural left guard" ? I'm well aware of the differences in skill requirements and talents needed between LT and RT, but wonder if there's really that much difference in playing LG and RG ?

HOU-TEX
04-11-2013, 08:54 AM
How would you define a "natural left guard" ? I'm well aware of the differences in skill requirements and talents needed between LT and RT, but wonder if there's really that much difference in playing LG and RG ?

I don't understand it much either. There isn't much scheme difference at all. Just the left-handed right-handed difference would be the only issue in the ZBS.

Brooks even played RG at Miami OH, so I think people just want to shake crap up just to shake crap up

Rey
04-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Well, I don't know if i agree with Bad Boys assesment but there are differences between the guard spots besides what side of the center you're on. In pass coverage RG's tend to face the better pass rushing DT's while LG's tend to face the bigger run stopping DT's against the run. That's because the strength of the formation is generally to the right.

76Texan
04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
From what I understand, a lot of teams employ the Under front, especially in nickel (ie. passing situations.)

It provides one-on-one matchup on the weak side on the LT and the LG.
In this situation, the LG will face a 3-tech defensive linemen (or the Under Tackle), usually a quicker guy that can penetrate.

The LG also needs to pick up a possible stunt by the Weak side DE (usually the best pass rusher) or a possible blitz by a LB.

Therefore, I would say the LG needs to be a good pass protector.
Experience also plays a factor here.

thunderkyss
04-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Wasnt Harris a top draft pick himself? Perhaps he can step his game up too and solidify the right side with Harris.

:thinking:

76Texan
04-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Wasnt Harris a top draft pick himself? Perhaps he can step his game up too and solidify the right side with Harris. I dont really care who it is, but this coming year I would like some continuity, subbing guys in and out should stay in the amateur ranks.

Injuries had left him less than what he could be.
Same as Barrett Rudd.
If these guys had remained healthy, they wouldn't have gotten to us in the first place.

Goldensilence
04-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Smart re-sign for both sides. This gives good depth for Texans and Harris could very well compete for the starting RT spot come TC if Newton or a rook doesn't impress. Big bonus if he's completely healthy.