PDA

View Full Version : FA FB Greg Jones to visit Texans (signed march 27)

srrono
03-26-2013, 10:00 AM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 1m
Greg Jones, 31, is a 10-year veteran. Texans have seen him 2 times a year.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 5m
Texans hosting FB Greg Jones today. I can confirm report they'll bring in Tyrann Mathieu at some point before draft.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 6m
In fact, if Greg Jones played in a city other than Jacksonville, he probably would have made a Pro Bowl by now. Vicious blocker. #Texans

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 9m
Texans r looking 4 new FB 4 4th year N row. James Casey was preceeded by Lawrence Vickers and Vonta Leach.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 10m

For players with 10 years or more of service, the minimum salary is $910,000. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/minimum-salaries-shoot-up-under-new-deal/)

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5463/gjsz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/gjsz.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

cuppacoffee
03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Looks like Clutts failed to impress.

:coffee:

Mr teX
03-26-2013, 10:19 AM
yeah, this greg jones..all be it 10 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKknaWEln9w

badboy
03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Good to see they are still in market.

srrono
03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
PFT has confirmed that Jones will visit the Texans on Tuesday. An eight-year veteran who has spent his entire career with the Jaguars, Jones became a free agent on March 12. In 2011, he helped clear paths for Maurice Jones-Drew, who led the league in rushing that year.

And MJD isn’t happy about Jones’ potential departure, tweeting “Noooooooo!!!!!!“

The Jaguars had been talking to Jones before the new league year began, and Jones (like many other free agents) has drawn little interest on the open market.

tru80texan
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 1m

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 5m
Texans hosting FB Greg Jones today. I can confirm report they'll bring in Tyrann Mathieu at some point before draft.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 6m
In fact, if Greg Jones played in a city other than Jacksonville, he probably would have made a Pro Bowl by now. Vicious blocker. #Texans

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 9m
Texans r looking 4 new FB 4 4th year N row. James Casey was preceeded by Lawrence Vickers and Vonta Leach.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 10m

Beat me to it! I was just about to start a thread about this.

This would be a good addition imo. A definite improvement at FB w/ a true blocker that has proven he can run the ball effectively when needed. Sign him up!

Dutchrudder
03-26-2013, 10:25 AM
We have been missing our mauler in the middle ever since Vonta left and I think our goalline running game has suffered a bit because of that. If he can run block, he should be picked up, Clutts is expendable.

The Pencil Neck
03-26-2013, 10:31 AM
I've been hoping we'd get this guy or at least find someone who can really replace Vonta. We need that kind of guy on offense more than we needed someone like a James Casey.

NitroGSXR
03-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Wow! What a hit!!

Playoffs
03-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Greg Jones was rated 3rd out of 25 FBs in blocking for players taking >25% of team snaps.

That ex-Texan was 1st.

Dutchrudder
03-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Greg Jones was rated 3rd out of 25 FBs in blocking for players taking >25% of team snaps.

That ex-Texan was 1st.

Is there any reason you keep posting these PFF tidbits without every linking to the article? Their site is atrocious to search, and I often want to see what the list looks like for myself.

tru80texan
03-26-2013, 10:59 AM

That ex-Texan was 1st.

I think Jones could surpass that ex-Texan if he leads the way for Arian. Jones accomplished that #3 rating while playing on a team w/ slim to no passing attack & against loaded fronts & yet he still cleared the way for his ball carrier. I like him & think he could thrive in this offense to surpass that former Texan. His ball carrying abilities could also prove very useful in tough short yardage situations.

Playoffs
03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Is there any reason you keep posting these PFF tidbits without every linking to the article? Their site is atrocious to search, and I often want to see what the list looks like for myself.It's on the pay/premium side:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2012&pos=FB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

fiasco west
03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Please yes. Please.

Señor Stan
03-26-2013, 11:27 AM
We have been missing our mauler in the middle ever since Vonta left and I think our goalline running game has suffered a bit because of that. If he can run block, he should be picked up, Clutts is expendable.

Yeah, but if you have a guy who is a pass receiving threat at FB then you could work a play to pass him the ball inside the 10 and get an easy TD...wait...what?

htowntexans1985
03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Jones is built like a tank!! Get him Rick!! :pissed:

76Texan
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
It's on the pay/premium side:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2012&pos=FB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Just another useless link , LOL, I'm just messing with ya' playoffs.
I knew why sometimes you couldn't post the "useful" link.

NitroGSXR
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
He looks like a machine and I AM for going after him for the vet minimum but how old is he? Don't FBs wear out pretty fast?

Jackie Chiles
03-26-2013, 11:51 AM
He looks like a machine and I AM for going after him for the vet minimum but how old is he? Don't FBs wear out pretty fast?

Depends on the player. Some guys can be quality blockers for a really long time. Greg Jones might not be Lorenzo Neal but I think he will still do a nice job for at least 2-3 years. Maybe longer.

76Texan
03-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Looks like Clutts failed to impress.

:coffee:

If you can find an upgrade without breaking the bank, you do it.

Same thing with Jones; he was pretty decent last year, but he's no Lechler.

msbbc833
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
I think its unlikely he takes the vet min

Rey
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Greg jones is better than vonta leach.

phantom17
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm hoping the FO will open the purse strings a little for this guy! This team really misses a Vonta Leach type player! :goodluck:

HOU-TEX
03-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Forearm shiver anyone?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/4524809/greg-jones-stiff-arm-o.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbO3ZOQMbQ

Hervoyel
03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
I'd like to see him here.

tru80texan
03-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Jones will be 32 in May. Jones is roughly 6 months younger then Leach, so it doesn't seem as if age should be an issue. I do agree vet minimum might not get him, but Clutts would become expendable & his money would be freed up to help sign Jones.

ChampionTexan
03-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Jones will be 32 in May. Jones is roughly 6 months younger then Leach, so it doesn't seem as if age should be an issue. I do agree vet minimum might not get him, but Clutts would become expendable & his money would be freed up to help sign Jones.

Jones is actually 6 months older than Vonta, as Leach will turn 32 in November.

Hopefully he's got a year or two left (unless we don't sign him, in which case, hopefully he's totally washed up).

tru80texan
03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Jones is actually 6 months older than Vonta, as Leach will turn 32 in November.

Hopefully he's got a year or two left (unless we don't sign him, in which case, hopefully he's totally washed up).

You are correct. My mistake. I knew Leach was in November, but I misread the year. I think they both have plenty left to be honest.

drs23
03-26-2013, 01:52 PM
What I wanna know is did Bob send a jet? :stirpot:

ObsiWan
03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
I think its unlikely he takes the vet min

Greg jones is better than vonta leach.

Who else is bidding for his services?
Anyone know??

Jackie Chiles
03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't think he needs to sign at the vet minimum for it to be a good deal for us. Obviously we won't break the bank but if it takes a little bit more we can find room. We are probably talking hundreds of thousands, not millions. Clutts can stick around as a cheap backup and special teamer but I regret not keeping McManis. That guy is almost as good as Braman on teams.

rolyat93
03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't think he needs to sign at the vet minimum for it to be a good deal for us. Obviously we won't break the bank but if it takes a little bit more we can find room. We are probably talking hundreds of thousands, not millions. Clutts can stick around as a cheap backup and special teamer but I regret not keeping McManis. That guy is almost as good as Braman on teams.

1.2 milly is my prediction.

Doppelganger
03-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Texans can draft a FB in the 7th or sign a cheaper one as an UDFA. If you can get Jones, you ditch Clutts.

Playoffs
03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Maurice Jones-Drew ‏@Jones_Drew32
Noooooooo!!!!!! “@AdamSchefter: Jaguars FB Greg Jones is visiting the Texans today.”

Big Lou
03-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Looked a little like that Earl Campbell hit at the goal line when he was at Texas, although when Earl hit the guy, he came up off the ground about 3', oh and backwards about 10 yards!

pec0sb0b
03-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Forearm shiver anyone?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/4524809/greg-jones-stiff-arm-o.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbO3ZOQMbQ

Now that's football!!!

I wonder how long the forearm shiver will be legal with all the new liability limitation/player safety rules? If applied to the defender's head, it probably is already illegal. The fullback may become an endangered species in the new "safer" NFL (No-contact Football League). It won't be long before the crown rule is applied to fullbacks as well as running backs (I'm not sure, they may already be included in the new rule).

In my view, the power running game is football...my big uglies versus your big uglies. Old fart that I am, I think the fullback is a fundamental part of the running game. Without it, the game becomes nothing but trickery and deception (screens, counters, play-action passes) or it devolves into the spread or run and shoot where the running play itself becomes a deception.

Third and goal at the two yard line...you know I want to run the ball...and I know you know. I must to be able to run the ball into the end zone. If you know I can't run the ball in from the two, all you have do is set six or eight DBs back in coverage and you've effectively stopped me. We've all watched this happen again and again. Somebody, either my running back or my fullback has to take care of All-Pro inside linebacker filling the gap that is my lane to the end zone.

While I do like the ability to run from a singleback formation, it has limitations when used exclusively (look at the Colts' running game for the last ten years).

Official end of rant...I think he would be a great addition for the team.

Scooter
03-26-2013, 03:52 PM
would be a VERY strong signing and would considerably improve our offense IMO.

False Start
03-26-2013, 04:01 PM
From what I've seen, and read about him, he looks and sounds like what this running game needs. I would love to have a FB back there cracking heads, and blowing defenders up opening some holes for Arian to go to work.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5463/gjsz.jpg

Damn! Dude is a monster! :eek:

I really hope we can sign this beast.:taz:

He kinda has that Ed Reed thing going on.

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/64815221-480x270.jpg

infantrycak
03-26-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't think he needs to sign at the vet minimum for it to be a good deal for us.

I can't remember the details but Jones has enough seniority he can be signed to a vet minimum contract plus a signing bonus (which has some limit on it) and then only counts half as much on the cap.

Either way I think he would be an excellent signing. He is a much better receiver than his stats indicate. The Hags have just been incredibly poor at utilizing him.

drs23
03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Now that's football!!!

I wonder how long the forearm shiver will be legal with all the new liability limitation/player safety rules? If applied to the defender's head, it probably is already illegal. The fullback may become an endangered species in the new "safer" NFL (No-contact Football League). It won't be long before the crown rule is applied to fullbacks as well as running backs (I'm not sure, they may already be included in the new rule).

In my view, the power running game is football...my big uglies versus your big uglies. Old fart that I am, I think the fullback is a fundamental part of the running game. Without it, the game becomes nothing but trickery and deception (screens, counters, play-action passes) or it devolves into the spread or run and shoot where the running play itself becomes a deception.

Third and goal at the two yard line...you know I want to run the ball...and I know you know. I must to be able to run the ball into the end zone. If you know I can't run the ball in from the two, all you have do is set six or eight DBs back in coverage and you've effectively stopped me. We've all watched this happen again and again. Somebody, either my running back or my fullback has to take care of All-Pro inside linebacker filling the gap that is my lane to the end zone.

While I do like the ability to run from a singleback formation, it has limitations when used exclusively (look at the Colts' running game for the last ten years).

Official end of rant...I think he would be a great addition for the team.

Didn't sound like a rant to me. I agree with every word of it. He's a hoss and if that's not the definition of 'cut', then I don't know what is.

HOU-TEX
03-26-2013, 04:36 PM
I can't remember the details but Jones has enough seniority he can be signed to a vet minimum contract plus a signing bonus (which has some limit on it) and then only counts half as much on the cap.

Either way I think he would be an excellent signing. He is a much better receiver than his stats indicate. The Hags have just been incredibly poor at utilizing him.

Or anyone else not name MJD. heh

ChampionTexan
03-26-2013, 04:55 PM

The exact rule is that any vested veteran signing a one year contract for the minimum base salary will count against the salary cap as if he were a player being paid the minimum for a player with two accrued seasons. A bonus of up to $65,000 may also be paid, but the entire bonus amount is applied against the cap. The allowable bonus increases a couple of times over the remaining life of the CBA.

Minimum salary for a player with 7-9 accrued years (Jones has either 8 or 9) is $840,000. Minimum salary for a third year player is $555,000. That means we could pay Jones a total of $905,000 ($840,000 + $65,000) and have him count only $620,000 against the cap ($555,000 + $65,000).

Rey
03-26-2013, 05:13 PM
My guess is he signs here sometime this week...

76Texan
03-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Get 'er done, Ricky!

Lurvinator11
03-26-2013, 06:00 PM
So, when will we know if we are going to sign him?

I'd love to have him!

76Texan
03-26-2013, 06:12 PM

I'd love to have him!

Not until whatshisname report that Jones is seen in a T-shirt somewhere in town.

GP
03-26-2013, 06:14 PM

I'd love to have him!

Glad you asked.

My sources say he's signing the deal tomorrow. Would have signed it today, but there's an Arts & Crafts Festival at Reliant that has drawn huge crowds of like 20 or 30 people, so they're holding off until tomorrow.

You can believe me or not, I don't care. That's wut my sources told me.

Lurvinator11
03-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Not until whatshisname report that Jones is seen in a T-shirt somewhere in town.

Not just a T shirt, but was also seen cleaning the bathrooms. That the initiation!

Or, it's the janitor again!

kingtexan
03-26-2013, 06:50 PM
The days of the FB being needed in the NFL are on the way out, but for now this would make sense for the vet minimum. Seems like he stays in excellent shape and can play.

b0ng
03-26-2013, 07:20 PM

He was seen at the Gold Club loudly proclaiming he was going to be a Houston Texan.

drs23
03-26-2013, 07:37 PM
He was seen at the Gold Club loudly proclaiming he was going to be a Houston Texan.

Was he cleaning the toilets? :kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
03-26-2013, 10:29 PM
The truth of the matter is that Greg Jones Hits Like A Girl! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbO3ZOQMbQ) as illustrated by this video.

Quick II Draw
03-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Greg Jones is a great, great FB. He is a vicious blocker in the vein of Leach. He's not quite as good of a blocker as Leach, but he has decent speed and good hands. He is old, but he is a rare athlete. Would be a huge win if the Texans can sign him.

Norg
03-27-2013, 02:11 AM
IDK hey jags fans whats the deal with this guy ....????? how was he with yall

ObsiWan
03-27-2013, 04:14 AM
Now that's football!!!

Damn skippin' it is.

To be straight, the way I interpret the new rule, that SHOULDN'T be a flagable offense since he used his forearm and not the "crown of his helmet" to deliver the blow.

Anyone have confidence that the zebras will make the correct distinction?
I don't.

ObsiWan
03-27-2013, 04:20 AM
The truth of the matter is that Greg Jones Hits Like A Girl! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbO3ZOQMbQ) as illustrated by this video.

Damn, Doc... what girls do you hang out with??
:scarygirl:

ObsiWan
03-27-2013, 04:23 AM
Glad you asked.

My sources say he's signing the deal tomorrow. Would have signed it today, but there's an Arts & Crafts Festival at Reliant that has drawn huge crowds of like 20 or 30 people, so they're holding off until tomorrow.

I'm sorry... did you say your sources or the Voices??
:D

SAMURAITEXAN
03-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Damn, Doc... what girls do you hang out with??
:scarygirl:

Doc must be into whipping and handcuffs kind thing. Just kidding Doc.

Porky
03-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I would be very, very pleased with this signing. I've been a Greg Jones fan since he came out. This would help out Arian significantly, and I think he can also be that pass catching threat we like at FB, and we need that badly with the loss of our current FB/TE.

ChampionTexan
03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Done deal per Schefter:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m

Greg Jones signed with the Texans on 1-year deal today.

MistaRed
03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Schefter says Texans sign Greg Jones to a one year deal

Specnatz
03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Schefter says Texans sign Greg Jones to a one year deal

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m
Greg Jones signed with the Texans on 1-year deal today.

The Pencil Neck
03-27-2013, 01:13 PM
This makes me happy.

Hopefully, he's not a big letdown like the last FB we signed trying to replace Leach.

msbbc833
03-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Loves this signing. Glad the front office realized we need to protect Arian more and get his YPC up to where it was in 2010.

Playoffs
03-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 5m
New #Texans fullback Greg Jones turns 32 in May, but he was top-3 lead blocker in the NFL each of the past 3 seasons, according to @PFF.

Dutchrudder
03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
One more minor need filled, I like it! I hope he works out, and if he's half the blocker Leach was for us, he will be an improvement.

Brewski
03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
another good signing. Casey was a good player, but he was not the big strong blocker that Jones will be. Very exciting for our run game.....SB Bound

03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Love this!

Vinny
03-27-2013, 01:57 PM
well....we are getting older

Texn4life
03-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Very good signing. He's also enough of a good athlete to catch some passes out of the backfield for us too. The FO is adding some veteran guys who can play. Get younger and build the core in the draft. Fill needs with guys who have been in the league a while and want to win. I like this recipe.

Texn4life
03-27-2013, 01:59 PM
well....we are getting older

Considering we were the youngest team in the league last year I think we needed to a little bit at least.

hookinreds
03-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Will he be added to Special Teams too?

Dutchrudder
03-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Will he be added to Special Teams too?

Definitely. Our FBs have always played special teams.

Señor Stan
03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Sweet! I was worried about having to fill the need in the draft or end up signing a Jameel Cook type...

WIN

srrono
03-27-2013, 02:10 PM
This is good news, so far every signing has sovled a starting position problem and at the same time helping the Texans prepare for draft without true needs so they can draft best player available.

Needs to me as of right now.
WR Starter/Back Up
RB Back Up
OL Back Up
NT Starter/Back Up
ILB Starter/Back Up
OLB Starter/Back Up
S Back Up
CB Back Up

The * by the player represents players I think could use an upgrade.

List below is starters on roster as of today.

QB SCHAUB
RB FOSTER
FB JONES
LT BROWN
LG SMITH
C MYERS
RG BROOKS
RT NEWTON *
WR JOHNSON
WR jEAN *
TE DANIELS

K BULLOCK
P LECHLER

SS MANNING
CB JOSEPTH
OLB MERCILUS
DE WATT
ILB CUSHING
NT MITCHELL *
ILB SHARPTON *
DE SMITH
OLB REED
CB JACKSON
FS REED

Another very important need is bench player upgrade Jamison Injury hurts DL depth. After starting line up there is no OLB & ILB depth.

Titans Sux 72
03-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Glad you asked.

Now that is some funny chit!!!!! Classic!

b0ng
03-27-2013, 02:18 PM
http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Film-Room-Friday-Greg-Jones/a5695ff5-2095-4cc9-b172-be785e1d35b8

Dutchrudder
03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
So is anyone taking bets as to what round the Jags will reach for FB? I'd put money on the 4th.

b0ng
03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
RB coach Chick Harris said @leadblock33 has the “utmost respect” of #Texans defensive staff & players who have faced him

— Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield) March 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/316969330535448578

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

Jones said the Jaguars did make him an offer, but he felt like Houston was the best fit at this point in his career. #Texans

badboy
03-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Good to hear as on way for a hair cut this morning I thought 610 said his name then "terrible news". I flipped back to that channel but never said anything else. Thought maybe he failed a physical. I made sure my ear hair was reduced.

SCOTTexans
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

Jones said the Jaguars did make him an offer, but he felt like Houston was the best fit at this point in his career. #Texans

He wants a ring... and we all know when the Jags are gonna get there.... :pigfly:

Great signing dude's a monster...

cdollaz
03-27-2013, 03:01 PM
I like the philosophy of letting some other teams overpay and spend stupid money to make big splashes. Then the Texans are able to get a few solid contributors at a cheaper price. I would rather get 3 or 4 above average players in key areas than a single superstar.

badboy
03-27-2013, 03:07 PM
I like the philosophy of letting some other teams overpay and spend stupid money to make big splashes. Then the Texans are able to get a few solid contributors at a cheaper price. I would rather get 3 or 4 above average players in key areas than a single superstar.
The tension for me comes in not knowing if those "cheaper" guys will sign with us. So far this off season is looking pretty good. Here's hoping for an excellent draft! :chef:

76Texan
03-27-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm not going to believe it until my source spots him disguising as a janitor at Reliant.

Playoffs
03-27-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm not going to believe it until my source spots him disguising as a janitor at Reliant...

...spying on Matt Turk in an Ed Reed disguise. :kitten:

El Tejano
03-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Can Jones carry the rock too though? Could've swore he also played back up to MJD a while back.

wolf123
03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Can Jones carry the rock too though? Could've swore he also played back up to MJD a while back.

It was before he tore up his ACL. Best FB we've had in a long time:evil:

CretorFrigg
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
This is a solid signing. We finally get a real FB who can block to replace Leach. We never were the same in the running game after Leach joined the Ravens.

GP
03-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Probably the best TRUE fullback we've had since Leach.

infantrycak
03-27-2013, 04:23 PM

He was a college tailback and has filled in at tailback when the Jags have had injuries so yes.

Probably the best TRUE fullback we've had since Leach.

That's the thing, he is a very good fullback but is not a TRUE fullback and is more versatile than most.

djohn2oo8
03-27-2013, 04:28 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2m Texans will sign more veteran FAs who they can get with affordable deals. I expect an OT, ILB, WR and perhaps a NT.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2m Texans have 9 draft choices, including four of the top 95. I still think they'll draft a WR in first round.

djohn2oo8
03-27-2013, 04:33 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2m I don't think this will happen, but if NT Casey Hampton would do a deal close 2 minimum 2 stay home, I think Texans should check him out.

HOU-TEX
03-27-2013, 04:43 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2m Texans will sign more veteran FAs who they can get with affordable deals. I expect an OT, ILB, WR and perhaps a NT.

I think this is obvious considering we currently only have 54 players on the roster. Several will be rookies, but that's quite a bit of FAs to get to the 80-90 camp roster number

My response wasn't necessarily towards you, dj. Just thought I'd point it out

Malloy
03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Good signing. Enough hybrids, let's bring back the mauler.

:)

76Texan
03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
One year contract per Spotrac; unspecified $ amount.

76Texan
03-27-2013, 05:32 PM
No other indication other than "win-now" mode for the Texans.

Malloy
03-27-2013, 05:35 PM
No other indication then "win-now" mode for the Texans.

Spot on, this is a 'production' signing!

WR is Next and... do I dare... QB? :)

76Texan
03-27-2013, 05:38 PM
3 moves: defense (passing game), ST (punting), and offense (running game)

76Texan
03-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Spot on, this is a 'production' signing!

WR is Next and... do I dare... QB? :)

If they can sign a veteran WR, it would be real nice.

They're up to the cap now, but they can still wiggle some room (at the expense of releasing Schaub next year, LOL).

SCOTTexans
03-27-2013, 05:45 PM
3 moves: defense (passing game), ST (punting), and offense (running game)

Your only as strong as your weakest weakness and we have been improving our weaknesses drastically so..... :thinking:

:boogie:

Texaninlild
03-27-2013, 05:59 PM
I like
Kyle Juszcyk
Height: 6-1.
Weight: 248
from Harvard late in the draft to shore up the FB spot like the hammer Vonte was.

:swatter:

TexanBacker93
03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Another great move. Even without a new RT this signing helps Foster. Newton should be improved this season and with a blocking FB instead of a TE disguised as one it should help us in the red zone.

5 signings and all have been solid moves. This frees us up to take BPA instead of reaching for a starter. Well, except for WR and maybe NT. If we look at those in the 1st 3 rounds we won't have to reach.

djohn2oo8
03-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli

Greg Jones' deal is for $1 million. Base of $840,000 with $160,000 to sign. $240,000 of it is guaranteed. #Texans

Lurvinator11
03-27-2013, 06:55 PM

Greg Jones' deal is for $1 million. Base of $840,000 with $160,000 to sign. $240,000 of it is guaranteed. #Texans

Great deal!

SCOTTexans
03-27-2013, 06:58 PM

It just keeps getting better...

ATRAIN
03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Great signing, I am super excited about this!!!

ATRAIN
03-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Another great move. Even without a new RT this signing helps Foster. Newton should be improved this season and with a blocking FB instead of a TE disguised as one it should help us in the red zone.

5 signings and all have been solid moves. This frees us up to take BPA instead of reaching for a starter. Well, except for WR and maybe NT. If we look at those in the 1st 3 rounds we won't have to reach.

5?

Lechler, Reed, Jones, McCain?

Who am I missing?

amazing80
03-27-2013, 08:09 PM
5?

Who am I missing?

didnt we do Ben Jones too this off-season?

Señor Stan
03-27-2013, 08:12 PM
5?

Who am I missing?

Supernaw

Dutchrudder
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Supernaw

Well if those kind of guys count then we signed Stephen McGee too...

Uncle Rico
03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Didnt RT "Noodle Arm" Gardner get a deal too?

I like this signing. Will be nice to see Arian cut off a decent block for a change. I think Jones can also run it well and catch out of the backfield. Solid.

I read somewhere that Jones whooped Danell Docketts butt back in college. More tough guys, less *****'s. Those are my keys to the game, CBS eat your heart out.

beerlover
03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Supernaw

This guy Supernaw is intriguing like his name if nothing else, will replace Casey no doubt. While Greg Jones replaces a not so cool name in Clutts.:kitten:

C Madd
03-27-2013, 09:26 PM
http://www-thescore.s3.amazonaws.com/images/63372/original.gif?1357432946

My reaction to this signing.

Nawzer
03-27-2013, 09:29 PM

Is Schaub pretending he has two shake weights in his hands???

NitroGSXR
03-27-2013, 09:46 PM

Schaub is saying... yeah yeah... nobody noticed that I didn't mean to do that.

:fingergun:

GP
03-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Didnt RT "Noodle Arm" Gardner get a deal too?

I like this signing. Will be nice to see Arian cut off a decent block for a change. I think Jones can also run it well and catch out of the backfield. Solid.

I read somewhere that Jones whooped Danell Docketts butt back in college. More tough guys, less *****'s. Those are my keys to the game, CBS eat your heart out.

LMAO! I dig it!

Sounds like a replacement name has been found. Bulls On Parade has been replaced by More Tough Guys, Less *******.

Plays Great! More Filling!

Texan_Bill
03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Is Schaub pretending he has two shake weights in his hands???

:spit:

Stop it... Just stop it!!! Some funny shyte there!! Rep (if I can).

*EDIT*

Rep completed!!! Well played, sir!

Quick II Draw
03-28-2013, 01:00 AM
I am so happy about this signing. I don't know how much longer he will last (2 years min.-5 years max.) but Greg Jones is an ANIMAL. He is an athlete of Andre's caliber. Seriously.

AnthonyE
03-28-2013, 04:19 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted this already, but check out this video on Greg Jones.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Film-Room-Friday-Greg-Jones/a5695ff5-2095-4cc9-b172-be785e1d35b8

Corrosion
03-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Well , I can most definately scratch a thumper FB off of my wish list.

mootini
03-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Enjoy! Jones is a beast. Great pick up for you guys. Jags are 2-3 years away from being anything decent. A true rebuild is going down now. FB position isn't worth $ with so many gapping holes in the major defensive and offensive positions. Teaxans running game just got insane!

b0ng
03-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Enjoy! Jones is a beast. Great pick up for you guys. Jags are 2-3 years away from being anything decent. A true rebuild is going down now. FB position isn't worth $ with so many gapping holes in the major defensive and offensive positions. Teaxans running game just got insane!

The best reason that mootini rocks and handswarmer sucks donkey gooch.

Thorn
03-28-2013, 09:05 AM
The best reason that mootini rocks and handswarmer sucks donkey gooch.

mootini has always been a fair, and fun, poster here. I enjoy other teams posters coming here. Some though, not so much. LOL

Some folks take their football like they do their religion, and when that happens, it gets out of hand. Some of us do it here sometimes.

Playoffs
03-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Thanks, man, will be interesting watching you guys build. :toast2:

badboy
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM

5 signings and all have been solid moves. This frees us up to take BPA instead of reaching for a starter. Well, except for WR and maybe NT. If we look at those in the 1st 3 rounds we won't have to reach.What about the rumor that Reed moves to LB would we not need to go OLB high round? That's three rounds without BPA.

badboy
03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
didnt we do Ben Jones too this off-season?Ben Jones just ended his rookie year with three more to go.

76Texan
03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
mootini has always been a fair, and fun, poster here. I enjoy other teams posters coming here. Some though, not so much. LOL

Some folks take their football like they do their religion, and when that happens, it gets out of hand. Some of us do it here sometimes.

What if the person is an atheist?!? :swatter::chickendance::bubbles:

76Texan
03-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Sand castle on the beach! :kitten:

Sorry mootini, you'd do better go ahead with the surf in the rain then wait around for a sunny day. :chef:

Corrosion
03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
edit.

TexanBacker93
03-28-2013, 10:44 AM
What about the rumor that Reed moves to LB would we not need to go OLB high round? That's three rounds without BPA.

I don't know if they would need to go OLB in a high round. They could, of course, but even if Reed plays inside more I don't know if OLB would be a top 3 round need. Personally, I don't think Reed would play exclusively inside. I think Wade will look at every way possible to get the best 11 on the field. Reed could move back out in situations where we would normally only have Cushing on the field.

ObsiWan
03-28-2013, 02:21 PM
mootini has always been a fair, and fun, poster here. I enjoy other teams posters coming here. Some though, not so much.

Translation: He hardly ever disagrees with Thorn.

:kitten:

mootini
03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Doesn't matter rain or sunshine, when the swell is up, life is good! Texans window is open for the SB. The team is solid all around. Once a 2nd WR is established in the draft, Schaub better come through, all the piecies are there. The running game is going to dominate. You just added the blocker for MJD.

Sand castle on the beach! :kitten:

Sorry mootini, you'd do better go ahead with the surf in the rain then wait around for a sunny day. :chef:

mootini
03-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Meow! Sucks being ranked #1 worst team in the NFL! Gene Smith ruined the Jags. I haven't been able to disagree w/anybody on this MB, the Jags have sucked for years now and will for a few more!

Translation: He hardly ever disagrees with Thorn.

:kitten:

badboy
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't know if they would need to go OLB in a high round. They could, of course, but even if Reed plays inside more I don't know if OLB would be a top 3 round need. Personally, I don't think Reed would play exclusively inside. I think Wade will look at every way possible to get the best 11 on the field. Reed could move back out in situations where we would normally only have Cushing on the field.Look way back to the 2012 draft when exact same thing happened when we drafted Mercilus #26 with Reed and Barwin starting OLB.

mootini
03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
That's all you can do as a fan, watch and enjoy. The moves from the ex-GM Gene Smith caused the Jags to be in this situation. We have to clean house, which is why Jones come to ya. Texans took the right approach and built for the long run. Now it's paying off. Enjoy being a strong competive team.

ASidd_1990
03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Watching highlights of him, he kind of reminds me of Vonta Leach.

Over/under Arian Foster leads the league in rushing next season?

mootini
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks, I call it like I see it. Sometimes you have to look at your team, and see it for what it is, no kool aid. That's the only positive thing you can do, when your team is the worst in the NFL. I do miss having some smack talk between teams, hopefully the Jags get better.

mootini
03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd take that bet! I woundn't be surprised if MJD is the next to go from the Jags? Major cleaning taking place.

Watching highlights of him, he kind of reminds me of Vonta Leach.

Over/under Arian Foster leads the league in rushing next season?

rolyat93
03-28-2013, 03:16 PM
It'll be nice to see Arian get over 4.5 ypc with ease again. It was tough to watch him struggle to get a handful of yards every game. Hope he feels refreshed for a new year.

tru80texan
03-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Look way back to the 2012 draft when exact same thing happened when we drafted Mercilus #26 with Reed and Barwin starting OLB.

I believe OLB could very easily be an early round selection. It's always being said that Wade likes to have 3 man for a rotation & rest purposes. If they don't select an OLB early then this could also mean that they finally might view Braman as an option on defense instead of just a ST contributor. ILB or OLB could be an early selection depending on what they do w/ Reed & if they believe in Braman imo.

tru80texan
03-28-2013, 03:35 PM
It'll be nice to see Arian get over 4.5 ypc with ease again. It was tough to watch him struggle to get a handful of yards every game. Hope he feels refreshed for a new year.

Arian's past struggles can't solely be blamed on the FB position & Casey. The right side of the o-line needs to progress because it seemed the Texans early on favored running to the left side due to the right sides struggles. Doesn't take much to defend the run if you can only run to one side effectively. If the right continues to struggle then a bruising FB may help a little, but can't completely offset poor o-line play. Just for the record, I believe they will get better on the right side as they are all young & have gained valuable experience this past season.

rolyat93
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Arian's past struggles can't solely be blamed on the FB position & Casey. The right side of the o-line needs to progress because it seemed the Texans early on favored running to the left side due to the right sides struggles. Doesn't take much to defend the run if you can only run to one side effectively. If the right continues to struggle then a bruising FB may help a little, but can't completely offset poor o-line play. Just for the record, I believe they will get better on the right side as they are all young & have gained valuable experience this past season.

I meant as a whole with development from Jones/Newton(hopefully he's healthy)/Harris(if they bring him back) + fa/draft.Can't underestimate the line becoming more cohesive having played next to each other for a while now.

76Texan
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
That's all you can do as a fan, watch and enjoy. The moves from the ex-GM Gene Smith caused the Jags to be in this situation. We have to clean house, which is why Jones come to ya. Texans took the right approach and built for the long run. Now it's paying off. Enjoy being a strong competive team.

Sometimes it requires a major break down.
It's all up and up now for the Jags; just take your time... the longer the better for the Texans, LOL.

Playoffs
03-28-2013, 04:29 PM
I woundn't be surprised if MJD is the next to go from the Jags?

A shame, that dude is a straight up class act & competitor.

EllisUnit
03-28-2013, 07:55 PM
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2013-03-27/story/greg-jones-signs-houston-be-lead-blocker-arian-foster#ixzz2OqJ6wot2

For Greg Jones, things were equal in the contract proposals made by the Jaguars and Houston Texans since the start of free agency two weeks ago, but with one big difference.

The Jaguars are building to win. The Texans are built to win.

A chance to compete for a Super Bowl title this year was the main reason Jones, a Jaguars fullback for nine seasons, signed a one-year contract with Houston on Wednesday.

“Just the direction that Houston is going in right now and where I’m at in my career because I’ve only got so much time left,” Jones said in a phone interview. “The money was pretty much the same.”

Pretty good read. Glad Free agents see they have a shot if they come here, and who said houston wasnt attractive to Free Agents :whip:

CloakNNNdagger
03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Knew his strength was always considered unreal........this lends some re-inforcement to his brutal point of attack.

LAWRENCE VICKERS.............6-0 / 250

VONTA LEACH.......................6-0 / 260

GREG JONES.........................6-1 / 266

drs23
03-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Knew his strength was always considered unreal........this lends some re-inforcement to his brutal point of attack.

LAWRENCE VICKERS.............6-0 / 250

VONTA LEACH.......................6-0 / 260

GREG JONES.........................6-1 / 266

...And chiseled out of stone. Just ask MJD what he thinks about this. I think the FO has hit one outta the park on this move. Can't wait to see him do what James Casey just wasn't capable of doing. No knock on J.C. but he was admittedly a hybrid. Not a true snot locker clean the hole kind of a guy. I like this signing big time.

EllisUnit
03-31-2013, 10:36 AM
...And chiseled out of stone. Just ask MJD what he thinks about this. I think the FO has hit one outta the park on this move. Can't wait to see him do what James Casey just wasn't capable of doing. No knock on J.C. but he was admittedly a hybrid. Not a true snot locker clean the hole kind of a guy. I like this signing big time.

I agree i think this was a true value signing, and i wouldnt be surprised to see them give him a 3-4 year deal after next season. This guy can open some holes.

HOU-TEX
12-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but figured it'd be better than starting a new one.

Imo, after seeing many All-22 cut ups from several people throughout the season I've come to the conclusion this was a bad FA signing. Probably not very expensive, but Jones has been the worst FB we've had in a long time. Heck, Casey even performed better while playing out of position.

Admittedly, I was high on this signing. But, like everything else this season, it was fail

Blake
12-19-2013, 12:08 PM
I havent seen the all 22 videos, but what did he do that was bad?

Do you think he can turn things around next season, or are you writing him off and cutting him?

WolverineFan
12-19-2013, 12:12 PM
I havent seen the all 22 videos, but what did he do that was bad?

Do you think he can turn things around next season, or are you writing him off and cutting him?

He signed a one-year deal if I'm not mistaken. He's an UFA next year.

Blake
12-19-2013, 12:15 PM
He signed a one-year deal if I'm not mistaken. He's an UFA next year.

My mistake. I forgot that. So then the question turns into, who do we target, or do we try to get Greg for another year? I would ask Foster who he wants.

HOU-TEX
12-19-2013, 12:30 PM
I think it really depends on the next coach and scheme. FB's aren't as prominent in a lot of offenses as it was Kubiaks.

Being that I'd like to see more of a power scheme, I'm all for a good thumper for a FB. I thought Jones was a thumper, but obviously those days are behind him.

I assume the Watt brother is staying in College? He's decent and can catch out of the backfield

Playoffs
12-19-2013, 12:33 PM
PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com/) rates Greg Jones 12th/27 FBs (>25% snaps) so far in 2013.

Anthony Sherman KC is 1st & Vonta Leach is rated 27th/27.

The Pencil Neck
12-19-2013, 02:08 PM
We'll have a totally new offense next season. We might not even have a FB on the squad.

thunderkyss
12-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Next to his normal badasery, I think we missed Arians pass blocking/blitz pick ups more than anything.

Ben Tate & Greg Jones looked, to me, like they wanted no part in chipping a defensive lineman or anyone blitzing.

2slik4u
12-19-2013, 07:21 PM
PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com/) rates Greg Jones 12th/27 FBs (>25% snaps) so far in 2013.

Seems about right from jones. He certainly hasn't done anything to impress me.

Shocked about Sherman. Didn't even know who he was.

Jaw dropped about leach. When you look at ray rice's drop off this season it makes sense.

Dutchrudder
12-19-2013, 08:40 PM

Heh, good get by KC. Sherman was acquired by KC this offseason in exchange for CB Javier Arenas. Sherman was a 5th round pick, Arenas was a 2nd.

Norg
12-19-2013, 11:39 PM
knowing us since next year is rebuilding year that prob means Greg Jones see ya later .........

HJam72
12-21-2013, 08:36 PM

Wow. Guess the knoggin' got sore. :bender:

Sigma
12-22-2013, 08:36 AM

how come leach is so low?
I thought he was one of the (if not THE) best

Uncle Rico
12-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Greg Jones is the Jonah of this ship. He brought the Jags losing ways with him.

The Pencil Neck
12-22-2013, 08:32 PM
how come leach is so low?
I thought he was one of the (if not THE) best

He was for a few years but time catches up to us all.

Vinny
12-23-2013, 01:00 AM
He was for a few years but time catches up to us all.
especially fast for undersized Guards like Leach.