PDA

View Full Version : Texans to go WR heavy in Draft

HoustonFrog
03-21-2013, 06:06 PM
From Evan Silva per Mort

@evansilva ESPZn's Chris Mortensen on #Texans: "I assure you they'll add a WR or two in this draft. Somebody that can run & run fast. Highest priority."
2:53pm - 21 Mar 13

ObsiWan
03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
From Evan Silva per Mort

@evansilva ESPZn's Chris Mortensen on #Texans: "I assure you they'll add a WR or two in this draft. Somebody that can run & run fast. Highest priority."

ummm... we cut those guys.
See Jacoby Jones and Trindon Holliday

:kitten:

well... only partially

76Texan
03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Is that a fact, or just rumor?

Just kidding!
Surely, we all expect that they will draft at least one receiver - unless we pull out a trade or something.

76Texan
03-21-2013, 06:10 PM
ummm... we cut those guys.
See Jacoby Jones and Trindon Holliday

:kitten:

well... only partially

That's why we need to replace them... So we can cut them again, LOl.

EllisUnit
03-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Is that a fact, or just rumor?

Just kidding!
Surely, we all expect that they will draft at least one receiver - unless we pull out a trade or something.

I want a top draft WR ever trade up if we have to although this is not a very strong WR class imo

Playoffs
03-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Shocking news.

j/k http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Corrosion
03-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Water is wet .... :boogereater:

ObsiWan
03-21-2013, 06:35 PM

Not below 32 degrees F
:runaway:

badboy
03-21-2013, 06:36 PM
I want a top draft WR ever trade up if we have to although this is not a very strong WR class imoWonder if you can find anyone else to agree with you on that?

C Madd
03-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Wonder if you can find anyone else to agree with you on that?

Not me. I think WR is very deep this year.

powda
03-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Stole the words right out of my mouth. Great stuff as always espn...The next report will read "safety is no longer as big a priority due to the Reed signing."

mariowillshine15
03-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Tavon Austin would be the great impact player we need. Percy Harvin type talent without the attitude. Would have to trade up to get him though.

Same for Patterson who has all the physical tools to dominate just needs more experience.

Justin Hunter, if completely healthy, is a beast as well. 6-4, great deep speed. Drop issues but correctable.

Those 3 i see as far as run and run fast.

EllisUnit
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Yeah i am not a big college fan i just look at mocks and then watch film on some of the guys i think the texans have a shot at. Wasnt overly impressed with any, not like i was with AJ when he was coming out of college

mariowillshine15
03-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah i am not a big college fan i just look at mocks and then watch film on some of the guys i think the texans have a shot at. Wasnt overly impressed with any, not like i was with AJ when he was coming out of college

Watch some Tavon Austin tape. Electric.

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't think there are as many guys at the very top-end of the draft as in some years but there's a lot of good WRs this year.

I think.

Playoffs
03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Not me, this is good WR class.

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Not below 32 degrees F
:runaway:

When it's below 32 degrees F it is no longer water ooooooohhh what?!?! :)

rmartin65
03-21-2013, 07:08 PM

AJ is a borderline HOFer. Pretty rare to find a guy like that, even at the top of the draft, let alone at the bottom of the first. This draft is plenty strong at WR. No AJs or Megatrons, but there is some legit talent.

panamamyers
03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
This is one of the deepest receiver classes that I can remember. Could get some good talent in the 3rd and 4th round. I count no less than 18 receivers that I would be surprised if they don't turn into at least solid #2 receivers in their career.

Corrosion
03-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Stole the words right out of my mouth. Great stuff as always espn...The next report will read "safety is no longer as big a priority due to the Reed signing."

TBH I still believe they need another safety. As much as they are in 6 db , three safety looks and the fact that Keo is the guy behind Reed and Manning .... Im looking at one in the top 4 rounds still.

The only place I want Keo playing is on ST.

WolverineFan
03-21-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm a big fan of Keenan Allen. Produced at Cal despite horrible QB play.

Should feel right at home with Schaub throwing him the ball.....

EllisUnit
03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Watch some Tavon Austin tape. Electric.

Yeah he is ok, but this is the NFL he might be a good slot guy especially with a 5'8 173 frame, but i am ooking for a 6.2 WR who AJ can grom and can take AJs spot whenhe retires or as he gets older andwe can move AJ around and use this guy as the #1

srrono
03-21-2013, 07:24 PM
I would not be surprised if HOU drafted a top rated TE early in the Draft. A stud TE like Jason Witten - Jimmy Graham - Tony Gonzalez - or Rob Gronkowski could due as much if not more for this particular offense then a #2 WR.

I would like to see Vance McDonald Rice on this team I am not sure what round he projects too.

EllisUnit
03-21-2013, 07:25 PM

Yeah i like him much better, pretty quick at 6ft 3 and 206 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sskHoNba-JE

Scooter
03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
very deep WR class this year, as you can see by all the different favorites at our first pick. i for one am hoping to see Justin Hunter. good size (6'4", 200lbs), speed (4.41), i loved what i saw with his hands, and solid production last season (73rec for 1083yds and 9td's).

badboy
03-21-2013, 07:32 PM

Are you concerned about his knee injury? Postponed participating combine then delayed proday from March 14 to April. If unable to run I see him dropping even more. We need to get WR right even if it is a career #2 guy rather than eventual replacement for Johnson.

EllisUnit
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
very deep WR class this year, as you can see by all the different favorites at our first pick. i for one am hoping to see Justin Hunter. good size (6'4", 200lbs), speed (4.41), i loved what i saw with his hands, and solid production last season (73rec for 1083yds and 9td's).

His running and catching remind me a lot of a young randymoss

Texn4life
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
As much as I'd love a Tavon Austin or Hunter in the 1st I'm seeing Jarvis Jones falling to us because of his slow 40. I don't care what that guy ran, when I watched him play he was always all over the field. Special talent all around so if he's there I just don't see how we can pass on him. Think he can make a Suggs like impact.

TexanBacker93
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
My mind must be playing dyslexic games with me. I could have sworn the thread said the Texans to go heavy WR in draft.

I can just picture a 290 lb. WR lining up opposite Andre.

badboy
03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
very deep WR class this year, as you can see by all the different favorites at our first pick. i for one am hoping to see Justin Hunter. good size (6'4", 200lbs), speed (4.41), i loved what i saw with his hands, and solid production last season (73rec for 1083yds and 9td's).Not arguing but to be accurate he dropped 14 lbs to 196 to hit the 4.41. I'd rather see him at 210 and 4.5 in NFL

badboy
03-21-2013, 07:47 PM
As much as I'd love a Tavon Austin or Hunter in the 1st I'm seeing Jarvis Jones falling to us because of his slow 40. I don't care what that guy ran, when I watched him play he was always all over the field. Special talent all around so if he's there I just don't see how we can pass on him. Think he can make a Suggs like impact.DE only due to poor hip swivle and probably not a 3-4 OLB. IMO, we cannot spend a first on DE. Needs to bulk up to play DE.

Maddict5
03-21-2013, 07:51 PM
tbh i like nearly all the wr's this year. id be happy with any of tavon austin, allen, hunter, woods & hopkins in the first 2 rds..plus there's supposed to be good guys later too. this looks to be the yr to grab 2 if you're gonna do it

76Texan
03-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I'll take 3 receivers in this draft. A fast one, a quick one, and a big one.

I'll even take a sleeper later on if he's still there.

Let's go heavy on receivers like the thread title said.

Texan_Bill
03-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Wait.... What????? Jacoby Jones, Lestar Jean, Devier Posey, Keyshawn Martin :thinking: Have I missed someone?

Texan_Bill
03-21-2013, 07:57 PM

What bro?? Next you're gonna tell me the sky is blue? :kitten:

powda
03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
TBH I still believe they need another safety. As much as they are in 6 db , three safety looks and the fact that Keo is the guy behind Reed and Manning .... Im looking at one in the top 4 rounds still.

The only place I want Keo playing is on ST.

You and I are spot on with that issue as well...hell I started a safety thread in the draft forum. Maybe a better example would be after signing lechler we'd get a report from espn like, "The Texans no longer consider punter a high area of need in the draft..."?

I actually think the Reed signing will hurt us in a way. We'll undervalue the safety position now despite all the 3 safety sets and wait to get one later...

Lurvinator11
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Or that Ice is cold??

TheRealJoker
03-21-2013, 08:05 PM
At the beginning of the offseason I was against taking more than 1 WR. But with AJ getting up there in age and no heir apparent out of there I am ready to see us get this position right. Throw as many young talented bodies into the competition as possible and see who emerges as AJ's apprentice.

EllisUnit
03-21-2013, 08:06 PM
I personally am till a big Lestar Jean supportr, and think given a full opportunity he ould become a big time play maker.

Uncle Rico
03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
That 'Ramses' guy from NY is available if im not mistaken. probably cheap, plus dude is really tall and got good hands from what I can remember.

While I completely agree with the idea of selecting a WR in the draft, if an ILB/OLB is rated significantly higher you still go best available in the early rounds. I toyed with the notion of taking the WR in R1, but the team still has holes and cant really get selective like that IMO.

1st rounder gets you Victor Cruz probably. Will there be anything better than him in the 20's? Long shot, but the homerun that could hold down the position for years to come, and you cross that contract bridge when you get there next year, he's locked up for like 3 MILL, while underpaid, if patient and has yet another good year you figure it out in 2014. Not sure what a first round tender is nowadays but im sure its around that ballpark anyways. Lose him get a supplemental the next year, you still draft a project in the later rounds and take a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl for 1 good year, caution to the wind F the future til we get there.

And then I woke up.

powda
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
I personally am till a big Lestar Jean supportr, and think given a full opportunity he ould become a big time play maker.

Ive gotta see something in preseason from him...cant wait forever. There's about to be a very brutal competition/numbers game at that position.

srrono
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
The major problem with any rookie on offense is that Kubs doesn't trust rookies and will not give them a true chance to play. I can see HOU picking a top WR in the draft and then the kid rides the bench all year and some old vet like Bryant Johnson comes in and gets all the snaps the rookie should have gotten.

Texn4life
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
That 'Ramses' guy from NY is available if im not mistaken. probably cheap, plus dude is really tall and got good hands from what I can remember.

While I completely agree with the idea of selecting a WR in the draft, if an ILB/OLB is rated significantly higher you still go best available in the early rounds. I toyed with the notion of taking the WR in R1, but the team still has holes and cant really get selective like that IMO.

1st rounder gets you Victor Cruz probably. Will there be anything better than him in the 20's? Long shot, but the homerun that could hold down the position for years to come, and you cross that contract bridge when you get there next year, he's locked up for like 3 MILL, while underpaid, if patient and has yet another good year you figure it out in 2014. Not sure what a first round tender is nowadays but im sure its around that ballpark anyways. Lose him get a supplemental the next year, you still draft a project in the later rounds and take a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl for 1 good year, caution to the wind F the future til we get there.

And then I woke up.

There are quite a few guys on the Ramses Barden train. He's relatively young, will come cheap, and is stacked with potential. I can see him making a big impact for us, but I still think we draft a receiver in the first 2 round even with a guy like him on board. I think Jean is the odd man out as much as I had high hopes for him last year. Keyshawn isn't going anywhere until we take Tavon Austin in the 1st. There just really isn't a huge need for him then. That's Jean's only hope if you ask me.

Uncle Rico
03-21-2013, 08:23 PM
There are quite a few guys on the Ramses Barden train. He's relatively young, will come cheap, and is stacked with potential. I can see him making a big impact for us, but I still think we draft a receiver in the first 2 round even with a guy like him on board. I think Jean is the odd man out as much as I had high hopes for him last year. Keyshawn isn't going anywhere until we take Tavon Austin in the 1st. There just really isn't a huge need for him then. That's Jean's only hope if you ask me.

Jean had his shot. Shown he's not really durable, and 1 explosive play every 5 games just isnt enough. If its first round WR or bust, then use the extra 3rd round pick, get creative and get the guy you really want instead of playing catch for whoever's available at the slotted position, that way you're still sending a loud and clear SB message. a 6'6 receiver(Barden-didnt know his last name in first post) would do Matt Schaub some good.

Lucky
03-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't think there are as many guys at the very top-end of the draft as in some years but there's a lot of good WRs this year.

Right, I don't see a AJ Green or Julio Jones in this class. But, there are good WRs of all types through 3 or 4 rounds.

Really hoping Allen slips to the Texans. Maybe there are enough questions about his injury to make WR hungry teams like the Vikings and Rams pass.

FYI, the sun is hot.

Other than a couple of preseasons ago, I haven't seen squat from Jean. JAG, as far as I can tell.

badboy
03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
The major problem with any rookie on offense is that Kubs doesn't trust rookies and will not give them a true chance to play. I can see HOU picking a top WR in the draft and then the kid rides the bench all year and some old vet like Bryant Johnson comes in and gets all the snaps the rookie should have gotten.
to be fair we have not had a rookie WR that had a chance to start or force Gary to give him playing time.

srrono
03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Jean had his shot. Shown he's not really durable, and 1 explosive play every 5 games just isnt enough. If its first round WR or bust, then use the extra 3rd round pick, get creative and get the guy you really want instead of playing catch for whoever's available at the slotted position, that way you're still sending a loud and clear SB message. a 6'6 receiver(Barden-didnt know his last name in first post) would do Matt Schaub some good.

Ramses Barden 29 catches in 4 years? Has he been injured a lot too?

thunderkyss
03-21-2013, 08:37 PM
We're going to trade up to get "their" guy.

I think Rick is going to try to look like a real GM, but most people here are going to say the guy he went & got would have been available where we were picking originally, so in the end, we'll have invested valuable assets to move up in the draft, just to move up.

Texn4life
03-21-2013, 08:38 PM
DE only due to poor hip swivle and probably not a 3-4 OLB. IMO, we cannot spend a first on DE. Needs to bulk up to play DE.

You guys who post quite a bit in the college board study a lot more of these guys than I do. I watch a ton on college ball, but not really looking at draft prospects and really analyzing them. I just know what the eye test tells me on him when I've watched him. Some team is gonna get a very motivated player. I personally don't see him as a DE, but I'll defer to you on this one.

srrono
03-21-2013, 08:39 PM
to be fair we have not had a rookie WR that had a chance to start or force Gary to give him playing time.

Just as an example K.Martin drops a pass we don't see him on the field for 4 games yet when Jacoby goes 1 out of 10 targets in replacement of AJ Kubs stands up for his vet.

Uncle Rico
03-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Not very impressive I know. Wonder how many targets? I do remember he had a huge national game and then didnt do much after. He is a 6'6 monster that seems to possess good hands and maybe just got lost in the wash, as it seemed every week some new 'no name' guy was blowing up for the Giants due to injury's and the such.

edit: after a quick "goog" it does appear that he broke his ankle 2 years back. PUP list the follwing and is probably just about to regain form, which may lead me even more to take a shot with him. Rookie year just didnt see the field. He's not a burner, by any means, wasnt even before the injury (4.6 combine 40 time) but having a dude that big on the team to be able to throw it up to on critical downs is a nice element to have.

Texn4life
03-21-2013, 08:43 PM

He's a small school guy so to be fair to him his first 2 years were throw aways. He's shown flashes at times this past year, but I'm not sure what his deal is there. Change of scenery might be best ala someone we know, but his skill level and potential jump off the screen watching him.

I remember a guy coaching at Texas State told me when they played him in college to watch out for him. He seemed really clumsy and awkward his rookie year, but it looks like he's finally grown into his body and found his stride physically.

dc_txtech
03-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Just as an example K.Martin drops a pass we don't see him on the field for 4 games yet when Jacoby goes 1 out of 10 targets in replacement of AJ Kubs stands up for his vet.

Martin got plenty of chances early and did nothing with them. He got benched after that horrible fumble against Baltimore, and it was only 2 games. But yeah, when a rookie doesn't produce, drops passes, and fumbles the ball, who can blame the coach for not making sure he gets his reps?

GP
03-21-2013, 08:59 PM
The new WRs have GOT to be fast in order to catch up to Schaub's consistent over-throws. Am I right, or am I right?

SAMURAITEXAN
03-21-2013, 09:03 PM
The new WRs have GOT to be fast in order to catch up to Schaub's consistent over-throws. Am I right, or am I right?

GP, you are a half right. It is Over and under thrown.

76Texan
03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
There are 3 guys that are currently graded very low by both cBS Sports and NFL Draft Scouts (6th round to FA).

One of them might even become a number one receiver.
Their potential is huge.
Their measurables are great.
Their tapes are good (but inconsistent).
Their QBs weren't very good.
Their teams were deep at the WR spots.

Mark Harrison (Rutgers), Rodney Smith (Florida St), and Marcus Davis (Va Tech).

I have no idea why they rated them so low.

I know that Mark Harrison had a head injury in 2011.
So there's the medical stuff to check out; otherwise, I think they are all clean.

At least one of these guys should turn into a solid number two.

Check out their size, arm length, hand size, 40 time, 20ss, 3-cone, vertical and broad jump (both at the combine and their pro day).

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013-nfl-combine-results-wide-receivers/

Marcus Davis is a QB convert; he made Bruce Feldman's (CBS Sports) freak list.
Feldman claimed that Davis was timed as fast as 4.37 at Va Tech and holds the school record in the vertical jump (44").

panamamyers
03-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Lance Z has mentioned Ramses Barden either on the radio or on Twitter a time or two. That's why everyone else is mentioning him.
Barden is a poor man's JJ Stokes. And I wouldn't even really want JJ Stokes himself, much less a poor man's version.

Texn4life
03-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Lance Z has mentioned Ramses Barden either on the radio or on Twitter a time or two. That's why everyone else is mentioning him.
Barden is a poor man's JJ Stokes. And I wouldn't even really want JJ Stokes himself, much less a poor man's version.

Never listen to Lance on the radio or read his articles. Not saying that I don't respect his football acumen, but I'm not a follower of his and I doubt "everyone else" is just throwing his name out there because one guy supposedly mentioned him. Never knew Lance even knew who the guy was. Could it be a possibility some guys know that we don't have money to go after a tier one guy and fans see potential because they've actually seen his development? Naw, that's just a crazy idea.

Lucky
03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Mark Harrison (Rutgers), Rodney Smith (Florida St), and Marcus Davis (Va Tech).

I have no idea why they rated them so low.

They're not rated as highely because they haven't produced as much as other prospects. Similar to Dorin Dickerson, the WR/TE the Texans took in 2010. Great measurables, but never really put it together in college. Then, he didn't put it together in the pros.

IDEXAN
03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
People say Kubiak doesn't play rookie WRs which is true, but that's so probably because he doesn't invest much in them as I don't think he drafted one higher than the third round ? Now if he uses a first or second round pick on a WR this year, that will be a different situation especially with so little talent & experience after AJ on the current roster.

Jules Winnfield
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Lestar Jean and Keyshawn Martin were never given enough chances to prove themselves.

Texan_Bill
03-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Or that Ice is cold??

HA!! Repped!!!

tru80texan
03-21-2013, 10:58 PM

I agree. Kubiak doesnt allow his rookies much opportunity if they make a mistake before he puts the hook in them very quickly for long periods of time. Of course, the kubiak fan club will say he's "coaching them up" & teaching them "how to be a pro". I disagree because despite those occasional mistakes, which should be expected from rookies IMO, it removes a potential playmaker from the field & doesn't allow them the opportunity to learn on the field. Kubiak did the same thing to Arian at the end of the 2009 season. Arian showed flashes towards the end of the season, but as soon as he messed up he was benched in favor of the bum C. Brown or fumbling Slaton. The Texans were desperate for any type of running game & instead of giving Arian a true opportunity kubiak benched him quickly & often. When Arian finally got an opportunity at the end of 09 he played well, but the Texans didn't know what they quite had. Ultimately they used a high pick on Tate when it seems they could've used that pick elsewhere if Arian had only been given a better opportunity to prove himself in 09 instead of being benched to be "coached up" or taught "how to be a pro".

You cannot honestly tell if a rookie is capable of playing at high level if they are not given a true opportunity IMO. The opportunities for the young wr's simply hasn't happen that often w/ Walter in the way & Kubiaks quick benching of rookies which goes back to at least Arian. Thank goodness the owner stepped in again to point the HC in the direction in saying a playmaking wr is needed, even if it's rookie.

DocBar
03-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Not below 32 degrees F
:runaway:Shut up, Doc Bar. :D

leebigeztx
03-22-2013, 01:52 AM
I want a top draft WR ever trade up if we have to although this is not a very strong WR class imo

Wrong! This is a very good and deep wr class. There will be high quality wrs all the way through round 4. Most of the good wrs were not even high 1st rd picks. The wr corp is more of a collective vs a singular individual. Wheaton,williams,hunter,goodman,patton,and even Rodgers are all 2nd-3rd wr picks who can become very,very good wrs in the nfl.

Ryan
03-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Lestar Jean and Keyshawn Martin were never given enough chances to prove themselves.

Lestar Jean is a #4 WR at best. Let's be real here.

Wolf6151
03-22-2013, 02:16 AM
From Evan Silva per Mort

Wow, Mortensen is truly an insider, he has an incredible grasp of the obvious. :toropalm:

infantrycak
03-22-2013, 02:30 AM
AJ is a borderline HOFer. Pretty rare to find a guy like that, even at the top of the draft, let alone at the bottom of the first. This draft is plenty strong at WR. No AJs or Megatrons, but there is some legit talent.

Wrong! This is a very good and deep wr class. There will be high quality wrs all the way through round 4. Most of the good wrs were not even high 1st rd picks. The wr corp is more of a collective vs a singular individual. Wheaton,williams,hunter,goodman,patton,and even Rodgers are all 2nd-3rd wr picks who can become very,very good wrs in the nfl.

What rmartin said. Depth is one thing but the top end isn't there. There is a reason AJ, Fitz and CJ were top three picks and that isn't going to happen this year.

thunderkyss
03-22-2013, 05:54 AM
As much as I'd love a Tavon Austin or Hunter in the 1st I'm seeing Jarvis Jones falling to us because of his slow 40. I don't care what that guy ran, when I watched him play he was always all over the field. Special talent all around so if he's there I just don't see how we can pass on him. Think he can make a Suggs like impact.

The experts are shocked (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152723/article/lb-jarvis-jones-has-lackluster-pro-day) but none of them believe he'll drop that far.

Casseerly made the connection to Suggs by-the-way.

EllisUnit
03-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Ive gotta see something in preseason from him...cant wait forever. There's about to be a very brutal competition/numbers game at that position.

I hate to base much off of pre season, since most of the time the (non) starters play with all the back-ups and we all know how sloppy that looks most of the time.

EllisUnit
03-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Lestar Jean is a #4 WR at best. Let's be real here.

Foster was a 3rd at best one time. You remember that ? Though you might not have said it i dont remember hearing much praise about the guy until he broke out in the last 2 games of the season.

GP
03-22-2013, 07:12 AM
I don't think Jean makes the 53 this year.

And I was one of his biggest supporters the past two seasons. He would have to produce an amazing preseason to be here.

It's time this head coach got very serious about TE and WR. Schaub can't make up time when the pressure is on him, so he has to have WRs and TEs that can separate at the LOS and lose their man at the snap (like OD used to be able to do).

Rey
03-22-2013, 07:44 AM
In our range, I think hunter has the most potential to be that freak #1 receiver. May have to grab him in the first though.

I think there are other guys that can come in and be really good, really productive receivers....maybe even #1 type guys...

But hunter has top ten talent, but just doesn't have the resume. I'm telling you, this guy is legit. He's going to make some team very happy provided they have a halfway decent qb...

otisbean
03-22-2013, 08:24 AM
In our range, I think hunter has the most potential to be that freak #1 receiver. May have to grab him in the first though.

I think there are other guys that can come in and be really good, really productive receivers....maybe even #1 type guys...

But hunter has top ten talent, but just doesn't have the resume. I'm telling you, this guy is legit. He's going to make some team very happy provided they have a halfway decent qb...

I have some reservations about Hunter. He's fast but dropped 15lbs before the combine to increase his time, 15lbs is a significant amount of weight. If he adds that back he'll lose a bit of explosiveness. I worked with a young guy trying to make the pro beach volleyball tour. We conducted an experiment where I had him jump with both hands held under his chin to eliminate armswing and his standing jump was 28" then I had him hold a 10lb DB in the same position and his standing jump was 26". That's significant. You can add size and maintain speed, but it can be tricky.

He also has the highest drop amongst the top WR in the draft which is concerning.

I'm also concerned about his non contact ACL injury. I am worried he'll be injury prone.

I want to like him but Im worried.

powda
03-22-2013, 08:30 AM
I hate to base much off of pre season, since most of the time the (non) starters play with all the back-ups and we all know how sloppy that looks most of the time.

I hear ya, I do to. Problem is when the regular season starts he may not be on the roster anymore.

C Madd
03-22-2013, 09:40 AM
I like what I've seen from Quinton Patton from LA Tech. Definitely wouldn't be disappointed if Houston got him. Though I think I'd be happy with any of the WRs that are grading in the Top 10 in the position this year.

76Texan
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
I have some reservations about Hunter. He's fast but dropped 15lbs before the combine to increase his time, 15lbs is a significant amount of weight. If he adds that back he'll lose a bit of explosiveness. I worked with a young guy trying to make the pro beach volleyball tour. We conducted an experiment where I had him jump with both hands held under his chin to eliminate armswing and his standing jump was 28" then I had him hold a 10lb DB in the same position and his standing jump was 26". That's significant. You can add size and maintain speed, but it can be tricky.

He also has the highest drop amongst the top WR in the draft which is concerning.

I'm also concerned about his non contact ACL injury. I am worried he'll be injury prone.

I want to like him but Im worried.I don't know exactly how much weigh he dropped to run at the combine, but yes, I do have some reservation about Hunter such that I'm hesitant to put him in the first round category.

If I'm a GM, I will have to check out all of those issues (which I'm sure the teams will do, unless you're Al Davis reincarnated, or Jerry Jones... guys like that .)

michaelm
03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't think I've seen anyone mention DeAndre Hopkins. I know he ran a pretty pedestrian 4.57 at the combine, but followed that up with a 4.41 at his pro day.

Where do y'all see him going in the draft?

76Texan
03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't think I've seen anyone mention DeAndre Hopkins. I know he ran a pretty pedestrian 4.57 at the combine, but followed that up with a 4.41 at his pro day.

Oh, we mentioned about him enough (I think).

Most of us who likes him think he's more of a number 2 receiver though.

He has a good floor, but he doesn't have as high a ceiling as a few others (due to size/speed... you know... the freakish measurables....

76Texan
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
I like what I've seen from Quinton Patton from LA Tech. Definitely wouldn't be disappointed if Houston got him. Though I think I'd be happy with any of the WRs that are grading in the Top 10 in the position this year.

Patton is another one with good floor.
He can get separation with a combination of physicality and quickness, but doesn't have the top end speed nor overpowering presence.

Mr teX
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/c/images/2012/11/07/271128/size0.jpg

yup

Insideop
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM

I want to like him but Im worried.

These are the very reasons I would stay away from Hunter. He has a high ceiling but also a very low floor. As I've stated before in other posts, the Texans don't need a project #1 WR to develop over a year or 2, they need a #2 WR that is ready to play now.

I've mentioned him on a number of posts and think he or Allen, if still there, are the choices the Texans should go for with the 27th pick. They may not have the blazing speed that Hunter does, but both have better hands, are better route runners, and are more physical.

otisbean
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
I also think while speed is awesome there have been numerous WR that weren't blazers that have been very effective.

Wes Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall Jordy Nelson ect....

None of these guys are burners, their 40 times range from the 4.5s to 4.7s but they can all get open and they all have good hands. I'll take a guy that can create separation, run good routes and has great hands over a guy that can fly but has a high drop rate any day.

michaelm
03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Oh, we mentioned about him enough (I think).

Most of us who likes him think he's more of a number 2 receiver though.

He has a good floor, but he doesn't have as high a ceiling as a few others (due to size/speed... you know... the freakish measurables....

I also think while speed is awesome there have been numerous WR that weren't blazers that have been very effective.

Wes Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall Jordy Nelson ect....

None of these guys are burners, their 40 times range from the 4.5s to 4.7s but they can all get open and they all have good hands. I'll take a guy that can create separation, run good routes and has great hands over a guy that can fly but has a high drop rate any day.

Sounds to me like you're describing Posey to a certain degree. Man, it's a shame he got injured.

otisbean
03-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Sounds to me like you're describing Posey to a certain degree. Man, it's a shame he got injured.

It's a shame about Posey, he was improving as the season progressed. Hopefully he can get back to where he was pre injury

Rey
03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
I like Patton and Hopkins just fine. I like Hopkins more and I think he'll have a long productive career. I love his game. But he's not a game breaker and I think that's what this offense could use.

I think hunter can help open up the field for all the other receivers and te's. I think talent and physical ability wise he is a top ten type guy. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone before our pick.

Mr teX
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
These are the very reasons I would stay away from Hunter. He has a high ceiling but also a very low floor. As I've stated before in other posts, the Texans don't need a project #1 WR to develop over a year or 2, they need a #2 WR that is ready to play now.

I've mentioned him on a number of posts and think he or Allen, if still there, are the choices the Texans should go for with the 27th pick. They may not have the blazing speed that Hunter does, but both have better hands, are better route runners, and are more physical.

couldn't disagree with you more about hunter. This guy has the talent to be a #1, and a #1 WR to develop is exactly what this team needs largely b/c AJ's only got a few more years left and he's likely not going to be commanding the kind of attention he still recieves now. Plus it's not like he's going to be sitting behind AJ learning. He'll be on the field as the #2 while AJ is here and will instantly be the best #2 we've had opposite AJ....even as a rookie. It'll be just like harrison and wayne; once harrison was let go, Wayne ascended to the #1.

Plus it'll be best for us in the long run once schaub is released in a year or 2.

Hopkins to me is a solid, but i his ceiling is limited to a #2.

b0ng
03-22-2013, 12:30 PM

It's a deep class but it leaves a lot to be desired at the very tip top of the class. Almost all the prospects have some sort of Flag that makes you think twice about taking them in the top 10.

tru80texan
03-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Hopefully w/ the 27th overall pick. I like Hopkins. His speed is adequate, but he has shown the ability to create space & has good hands. The comparisons have been along the lines of Boldin & Roddy White & I don't think too many could complain if that is the type of player he becomes. I wouldn't be upset w/ Patton, Patterson, or Hunter just for the record, but Hopkins would be a good pickup IMO.

thunderkyss
03-22-2013, 01:42 PM

I think we should get used to the idea of trading up in the first.

Signing Ed Reed has Mr. Smith thinking he's wearing his big boy pants.

Doppelganger
03-22-2013, 03:15 PM

In other news, Doppelganger's shoe crushes ant!

ASidd_1990
03-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Deandre Hopkins would be awesome next to AJ!

Please draft him, he has #1 WR potential.

GP
03-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Going to need to look really heavily at this guy, for our WR pick:

Jaris Danley, WR, SWGU
6' 3" 214 lbs.

Pros: Good height, really knows how to come back to under thrown passes. Led his team in the unique stat of Comebacks To Under-thrown Deep Passes helping his un-draftable QB achieve conference-leading stats in the areas of completions and yardage.

Cons: Doesn't fight off CBs at the line of scrimmage at the snap, tends to catch the difficult passes and drops the easy passes...making him a liability for roughly 80% of passes thrown his way. Questionable football I.Q., has said he wants to someday be a missionary doctor in Uganda, and has served a suspension at SWGU for selling letter jackets to teammates that he designed himself, and often refers to himself as "The Next Dwight Jones."

Conclusion: Won't likely be drafted until around round 6, unless a team decides he's worthy of a 3rd round pick. Most likely a "project pick." There are a few teams in the market for this caliber of WR, though.

Team Likely To Draft Him: Houston Texans

Poster Likely To Believe This: CretorFrigg

Championship.

76Texan
03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Going to need to look really heavily at this guy, for our WR pick:

Championship.

Hohohoho!

Mari-OWNED!
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Quinton Patton early and Aaron Dobson in the middle rounds would be amazing IMO.

Texn4life
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Quinton Patton early and Aaron Dobson in the middle rounds would be amazing IMO.

I can't lie...... the more I watch Patton the less I'm impressed with him. Against A&M he caught a lot of short passes, made people miss, and abused a true freshman most of the game. It was a great showing but I'm not sure how that translates to the NFL. I was on board with him at the beginning of the process, but not so much now.

Mari-OWNED!
03-22-2013, 05:57 PM
I can't lie...... the more I watch Patton the less I'm impressed with him. Against A&M he caught a lot of short passes, made people miss, and abused a true freshman most of the game. It was a great showing but I'm not sure how that translates to the NFL. I was on board with him at the beginning of the process, but not so much now.

Well I feel like his game translates perfectly in Houston's offense. Those short catches that turn into big gains after making the first defender miss is Kubiak's wet dream. He's a great hands catcher, and IMO the best route runner in this WR class. Very precise with his every step, almost Isaac Bruce-like.

Does he have his flaws? Sure. He's not a burner, and could struggle against the press at the next level. Overall I'm still pretty high on Patton. Probably a lot more than most people.

Texn4life
03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Well I feel like his game translates perfectly in Houston's offense. Those short catches that turn into big gains after making the first defender miss is Kubiak's wet dream. He's a great hands catcher, and IMO the best route runner in this WR class. Very precise with his every step, almost Isaac Bruce-like.

Does he have his flaws? Sure. He's not a burner, and could struggle against the press at the next level. Overall I'm still pretty high on Patton. Probably a lot more than most people.

I think he's still somewhat raw as a route runner in my opinion. Not because he's not capable, but I just don't think he was asked to do much in that offense at La Tech. Granted I didn't watch any Senior Bowl practices and I heard he showed a lot in this aspect there. I'm only judging from what I've seen.

tru80texan
03-22-2013, 06:51 PM

I would be really happy w/ Hopkins & Dobson. Dobson hasn't gotten much love on here, but he has some really good hands to go along w/ 4.4 speed & good size at 6'3" 210lbs. Getting him later in the draft would be a very nice addition, but I'm not sure that he would last past the 3rd round. 2 WR's in the 1st 3 rounds could happen, but there are needs elsewhere & Im not sure the Texans would pull the trigger after acquiring 2 last season.

mussop
03-22-2013, 07:00 PM
DE only due to poor hip swivle and probably not a 3-4 OLB. IMO, we cannot spend a first on DE. Needs to bulk up to play DE.

You're putting too much thought into this. The guy was a beast on the field.

mussop
03-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Hopefully w/ the 27th overall pick. I like Hopkins. His speed is adequate, but he has shown the ability to create space & has good hands. The comparisons have been along the lines of Boldin & Roddy White & I don't think too many could complain if that is the type of player he becomes. I wouldn't be upset w/ Patton, Patterson, or Hunter just for the record, but Hopkins would be a good pickup IMO.

These are the ones I'm wanting, but I'm hoping Hopkins last till 57.

mussop
03-22-2013, 07:11 PM
From Evan Silva per Mort

I hate this kind of ****! And that's what it is, ****! Just throw out random popular opinion and people act like it's some confirmation with inside information. pffff!!!

I bet anything he came to this conclusion from comments McNair made days ago.

76Texan
03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
I think he's still somewhat raw as a route runner in my opinion. Not because he's not capable, but I just don't think he was asked to do much in that offense at La Tech. Granted I didn't watch any Senior Bowl practices and I heard he showed a lot in this aspect there. I'm only judging from what I've seen.

He was one of the receivers who had a good week at Senior Bowl Practice, not great, but pretty good. He's a borderline 2nd-3rd rounder; I might have to put him slightly behind Posey (who was drafted at what low 60s?)
That would probably put Patton in the mid third for me.

badboy
03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
I would be really happy w/ Hopkins & Dobson. Dobson hasn't gotten much love on here, but he has some really good hands to go along w/ 4.4 speed & good size at 6'3" 210lbs. Getting him later in the draft would be a very nice addition, but I'm not sure that he would last past the 3rd round. 2 WR's in the 1st 3 rounds could happen, but there are needs elsewhere & Im not sure the Texans would pull the trigger after acquiring 2 last season.Dobson had injury history that might put some off. He did have good senior bowl.

tru80texan
03-22-2013, 09:36 PM
I hate this kind of ****! And that's what it is, ****! Just throw out random popular opinion and people act like it's some confirmation with inside information. pffff!!!

I bet anything he came to this conclusion from comments McNair made days ago.

You should be use to this type of reporting. With our local Texan "insider" McLame, he is all to familiar w/ "reporting" the obvious as if he has done an adequate job & we should all be impressed. Pitiful to say the least imo.

tru80texan
03-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Dobson had injury history that might put some off. He did have good senior bowl.

I haven't seen anything real concerning as far as injuries on Dobson. I still like his potential & can't see him getting past the 3rd. If the Texans got him I would be excited.

otisbean
03-23-2013, 03:56 AM
I haven't seen anything real concerning as far as injuries on Dobson. I still like his potential & can't see him getting past the 3rd. If the Texans got him I would be excited.

I'd be stoked with adding Dobson.

steelbtexan
03-23-2013, 06:06 AM
I'd be stoked with adding Dobson.

I would be estatic if the draft fell like this

Rd.1 Hunter, Rd.3 Dobson

or

Rd.2 Swope, Rd.3 Dobson. Both are great blockers which is big in Garys offense.

otisbean
03-24-2013, 05:59 AM
I would be estatic if the draft fell like this

Rd.1 Hunter, Rd.3 Dobson

or

Rd.2 Swope, Rd.3 Dobson. Both are great blockers which is big in Garys offense.

I'd love to grab 2 solid WR prospects. I definitely see why people like Hunter but his non contact ACL injury concerns me. His legs are sooo long he looks almost gangly when making cuts. Don't get me wrong though, he's a stud athletically

I also want a stud pass rusher at OLb and a big fat NT and a young safety prospect (maybe JJ Wilcox).

panamamyers
03-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Swope and Dobson would be a disappointment to me. Swope is a slot, and he is not enough of an upgrade over Martin to make me want him in the very next draft.
I like the idea of two receivers, but we also really need two safeties in a sense, because Keo is horrible and who knows what Pleasant is.

If they can get Wheaton in the second and then Marquess Wilson in the 5th, I think they would have two of the top 5 receivers in this draft.

bobbeaux
03-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Swope and Dobson would be a disappointment to me. Swope is a slot, and he is not enough of an upgrade over Martin to make me want him in the very next draft.
I like the idea of two receivers, but we also really need two safeties in a sense, because Keo is horrible and who knows what Pleasant is.

If they can get Wheaton in the second and then Marquess Wilson in the 5th, I think they would have two of the top 5 receivers in this draft.

we have a lot of holes to fill with the draft and i'd be disappointed taking a wr with our 1st . . . at 27, we are left with the same quality/value wr that we could get with our 2nd.

with many 3-4 afc teams drafting behind us, we really need to get one of the top 3 ilb's with our 1st or at least one of the top 2 safeties . . . ;)

i think you'll see quite a few of the wr's named on this thread fall into the 2nd or even the 3rd . . . for some reason woods from usc keeps catching my eye . . . :)

otisbean
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
we have a lot of holes to fill with the draft and i'd be disappointed taking a wr with our 1st . . . at 27, we are left with the same quality/value wr that we could get with our 2nd.

with many 3-4 afc teams drafting behind us, we really need to get one of the top 3 ilb's with our 1st or at least one of the top 2 safeties . . . ;)

i think you'll see quite a few of the wr's named on this thread fall into the 2nd or even the 3rd . . . for some reason woods from usc keeps catching my eye . . . :)

I'm a ND fan so it pains me to say this but Woods would be a great pick up. Hes coming off a down year, but he dealt with injuries, spotty QB play and the emergence of Lee. He is a top shelf talent, good size, good hands, runs good routes, and runs well after the catch. He'd be a great pick up, especially if we traded back. I'm not sure he'll last until 54.

steelbtexan
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM

We see Swope differently,

Swope is the best slot guy in this draft. He also can/has played outside. Swope is playmaker and the Texans are severely lacking playmakers. Smae with Dobson, who knows how good/problem child Wilson is? I will tell you Wilson isn't a Gary kind of guy.

Texn4life
03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
We see Swope differently,

Swope is the best slot guy in this draft. He also can/has played outside. Swope is playmaker and the Texans are severely lacking playmakers. Smae with Dobson, who knows how good/problem child Wilson is? I will tell you Wilson isn't a Gary kind of guy.

Please don't tell me you really believe Swope is a better slot receiver than Austin.

otisbean
03-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Please don't tell me you really believe Swope is a better slot receiver than Austin.

Austin is a beast. The one thing Swope can do better than Austin is run blocking which is important in our offense. I can't see Austin being available for us, even at 27

Texn4life
03-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Austin is a beast. The one thing Swope can do better than Austin is run blocking which is important in our offense. I can't see Austin being available for us, even at 27

No doubt about that...... But I was just asking him if he really thought Swope was better in the slot than Austin or if he just forgot about him. I'm a Swope fan, and think he'll be really good in the league if he's healthy. Austin has the potential to be special.

Rey
03-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Why is swope rated so low?

Can anyone tell me that?

I just watched some film on him, looked at his measurables, and I think he's worth a first...but CBS has him as a third rounder....

Is it because he's white?

Texn4life
03-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Can anyone tell me that?

I just watched some film on him, looked at his measurables, and I think he's worth a first...but CBS has him as a third rounder....

Unfornuately I honestly think so. I was surprised he ran a fast time at the combine. He made a lot of big plays at A&M especially his junior year. I said I would've drafted him in the third last year if he came out. Think he's even a little more polished now. His concussions may be one of the reasons though.

Rey
03-24-2013, 08:03 PM
No doubt about that...... But I was just asking him if he really thought Swope was better in the slot than Austin or if he just forgot about him. I'm a Swope fan, and think he'll be really good in the league if he's healthy. Austin has the potential to be special.

Honestly, I'd rather have swope. He has a bigger body..Is really quick...has great speed...Runs good routes...Has good hands...Can make people miss in the open field...

Swope can play all the receiver spots....

I really like Tavon as an overall player, but I don't really want to spend a first on him.

Honoring Earl 34
03-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Can anyone tell me that?

He's another Don Beebe .

Texn4life
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Honestly, I'd rather have swope. He has a bigger body..Is really quick...has great speed...Runs good routes...Has good hands...Can make people miss in the open field...

I really like Tavon as an overall player, but I don't really want to spend a first on him.

I agree with everything you said except for the last part. Personally I'd be pleased if we ended up with either, but I think Austin is going to be a guy you're going to have to devise a game plan around. I think that's worthy of a first.

steelbtexan
03-24-2013, 08:09 PM

Yes I forgot about Austin,

But Swope is a better fit for the Texans offense than Austin. IMHO

Texn4life
03-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Yes I forgot about Austin,

But Swope is a better fit for the Texans offense than Austin. IMHO

The way its currently ran I agree. But I would question Kubiak's offensive guru label though if he couldn't find a way to utilize Austin.

steelbtexan
03-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Can anyone tell me that?

Yep

Swopes athletic ability is very uderrated. People just cant believe a big/stocky white WR can run that fast. He's a bigger faster version of Welker. He reminds me of Roddy White/Miles Austin.

Rey
03-24-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree with everything you said except for the last part. Personally I'd be pleased if we ended up with either, but I think Austin is going to be a guy you're going to have to devise a game plan around. I think that's worthy of a first.

I don't want the texans to spend a first on him. I didn't say he wasn't worth a first, but I don't believe he fits our offense. I think his best fit would be with a team that runs read option type plays where he could utilize his running ability and there wouldn't be as much emphasis on precise route running.

He'd be able to line up off the line more and get some pee snap movement. You could heavily involve him in the game plan.

If you line him up in a traditional offense he's going to have to beat the press more often and deal with close man coverage. I don't see him being effective in that regard.

Honoring Earl 34
03-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Yep

Swopes athletic ability is very uderrated. People just cant believe a big/stocky white WR can run that fast. He's a bigger faster version of Welker. He reminds me of Roddy White/Miles Austin.

He went to A&M as a RB . AJ went to Miami as a RB and Miles Austin was a RB .

Playoffs
03-24-2013, 08:54 PM

Can anyone tell me that?

Is it because he's white?No, nothing to do with color.

One, he doesn't play as fast as he timed.

More importantly, Swope has already been diagnosed with 4 concussions. Teams are much more conscious of concussion history with the league becoming more diligent in testing. No one wants to lose a high pick on another Jahvid Best.

I think he's solidly in the 3rd round.

beerlover
03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
It's very important for undersized WR to have great balance, be explosive & flash ability to change direction simultaneously. Austin has that, I feel he would fit just about any offense, Chip Kelly would love to have him & I think Gary Kubiak would as well. Best measure is not really 40 time as much as short shuttle times. Austin ran it 4.01 seconds as did Quinton Patton & Markus Wheaton (both 2nd rd. grades). So if Texans are going to load up with WR's why not use a late round pick 6-7 on a slot guy instead? T.J. Moe, Missouri is a tough buger he ran his short shuttle in 3.96 sec. 5'11" 204 his hands are almost 10" plus he is strong as an ox 26 reps & not afraid whatsoever to cross over the middle. Was Blaine Gabberts top weapon as a sophomore, 92 receptions, 1,045 yards & 6 TD's. I'm not sure how they do it but seems like a better way to address need for a slot receiver. IMO

infantrycak
03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
He went to A&M as a RB . AJ went to Miami as a RB and Miles Austin was a RB .

Huh? AJ was a WR in HS and college. Miles Austin was a WR and DB. Where is this RB stuff coming from?

They were both sprinters.

thunderkyss
03-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Would you be upset if the Texans took him in the first?

CloakNNNdagger
03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Yep

Or he may turn out to be a younger version of Walter.

Rey
03-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Would you be upset if the Texans took him in the first?

Swope, or tavon?

I wouldn't be "upset" with either, but I'd rather have Swope and I'm starting to warm up to taking him. Based on what I've seen he seems to be underrated by the mock drafters and talking heads.

Swope seems like an almost perfect match for this offense so I'd actually be pleased with picking him.

I disagree with the not playing to his timed speed stuff. Dude looks damn fast on the field to me.

And he's an a&m guy. You know Gary has looked at this kid pretty closely. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Swope ended up being our first or second round pick. In fact, I might be hoping for that at this point.

Norg
03-24-2013, 10:29 PM
so how is Posey doing will he be rdy for week 1 .?????

The Pencil Neck
03-24-2013, 10:38 PM

No.

Kubiak said he was a "possibly a middle of the season player." So they're still weighing their options. He'll either be pupped and come back mid-season or he'll be put on IR and miss the whole season.

But I don't think there's any way he's back for week 1.

infantrycak
03-24-2013, 10:40 PM

So you can put four question marks in but can't spend the time on an e and a?

steelbtexan
03-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Or he may turn out to be a younger version of Walter.

Walter has never run a 4.34 40 in his life.

Nor has Walter had the elusiveness in the open field, or ability to break tackles that Swope has. The concussion problems and God'ell is my only concern in picking Swope.

steelbtexan
03-24-2013, 10:52 PM
So you can put four question marks in but can't spend the time on an e and a?

So that's how you spell ready? LOL

CloakNNNdagger
03-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Walter has never run a 4.34 40 in his life.

Nor has Walter had the elusiveness in the open field, or ability to break tackles that Swope has. The concussion problems and God'ell is my only concern in picking Swope.

Walter ran a non-slouchy 4.40, though.

You're certainly correct about Walter's ability for yds after catch.

Just happened across this interesting site I've never heard of before. It lists
Yards after the Catch (YAC) - 2012 NFL Season (http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/yards-after-the-catch/2012/)

HoustonFrog
03-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Evan Silva Mock

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42858/60/post-free-agency-mock-draft

27. Houston Texans -- Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson

Patterson is a top-ten prospect in terms of upside, but NFL evaluators may envision the JUCO transfer as a raw, boom-or-bust project who must polish up his routes. He's an obvious candidate to be drafted later than expected. Patterson would still be a no-brainer pick for the Texans, who are intent on adding perimeter speed and would use Patterson as a No. 2 wideout, working him in gradually as a short to intermediate threat opposite Andre Johnson. Patterson shouldn't take long to establish himself as a winner versus single coverage and post-catch tackle breaker.

Rey
03-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Evan Silva Mock

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42858/60/post-free-agency-mock-draft

The wr prospects in this draft are ridiculous. There are a lot of guys that could be good to really good players. I almost want to trade down and take two of them....

Unless a guy like this is there...Patterson is beastly...

otisbean
03-25-2013, 09:30 AM
The wr prospects in this draft are ridiculous. There are a lot of guys that could be good to really good players. I almost want to trade down and take two of them....

Unless a guy like this is there...Patterson is beastly...

Agree 100%. I'm hoping a top QB prospect is there at our pick and a QB needy team trades up to snag him

HOU-TEX
03-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Agree 100%. I'm hoping a top QB prospect is there at our pick and a QB needy team trades up to snag him

Unfortunately, I don't think there is one in this draft. IMO, I wouldn't touch any of these QBs in the 1st.

steelbtexan
03-25-2013, 09:34 AM

Yep getting Arizonas #38 this and a 1st next yr would be awsome.

Then you would have the ammunition to trade up and get a franchise QB in 2014.

76Texan
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Yep getting Arizonas #38 this and a 1st next yr would be awsome.

Then you would have the ammunition to trade up and get a franchise QB in 2014.

I'll do it in a blink of an eye.

b0ng
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think there is one in this draft. IMO, I wouldn't touch any of these QBs in the 1st.

You might think that but teams can fall in love with a guy, and I think if Geno goes in the first 5 picks, then Barkley could go to AZ or BUF after that. If those two guys go, then there is a real distinct possibility that somebody might talk themselves into one of Wilson, Bray, Nassib, or Manuel by the time the Texans #27 rolls around.

I think it's silly too but remember, Jake Locker was drafted 8th (lol) overall and terrible Blaine Gabbert was drafted 10th. Just because we might not see anything with these guys does not mean that NFL GM's would all see it the same way too. Hell, Mike freakin Lombardi is GM for the Browns. . . in 2013. It's kind of remarkable how much money NFL teams make and the stupid people that get put in charge of the roster at the same time.

thunderkyss
03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
I disagree with the not playing to his timed speed stuff. Dude looks damn fast on the field to me.

Agreed.

I wouldn't be surprised or upset if we do take him in the first. Swope. Really, I'd be surprised if he's still available.

I've got to believe 32 teams went back to watch A&M game tape after Indy.

panamamyers
03-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Swope plays up to his speed once he gets going, but he is not very quick at all. He would have been a nice pick in the 4th round before his combine numbers brought him more to people's attention. He is not a good pick anywhere in the top 3 rounds, and I don't think there would be near the conversation about it if we were not so close to A&M geographically speaking, and hence have probably a lot of crossover Aggie/Texan fans here.

He is no Tavon Austin. I would put Swope right on par with Keshawn Martin, and we already have a Martin.

TexansSeminole
03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Swope plays up to his speed once he gets going, but he is not very quick at all. He would have been a nice pick in the 4th round before his combine numbers brought him more to people's attention. He is not a good pick anywhere in the top 3 rounds, and I don't think there would be near the conversation about it if we were not so close to A&M geographically speaking, and hence have probably a lot of crossover Aggie/Texan fans here.

He is no Tavon Austin. I would put Swope right on par with Keshawn Martin, and we already have a Martin.

That's not really true. I live in Florida and have heard Gator and Nole fans talk highly about what they see in him.

It's the concussions that scare me.