PDA

View Full Version : What's the next move for the Texans?

djohn2oo8
03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Do we go after anyone else or is that it until the draft? (besides Lechler)

Playoffs
03-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Perhaps an ILB if they're going cheap as I'm not at all confident that Sharpton will ever contribute meaningful time.

Otherwise, prepare for the draft.

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
We might wait until after the draft and then pick up some guys to fill whatever perceived holes we've got. I wouldn't be surprised if we pick Dobbins and Ruud back up but we might wait until after the draft to do it.

IF we're going to go after someone, I don't expect it to be a big, high-priced guy. I'd be interested to see us picking up Dansby but he's probably too high-priced even at this stage of his career. I expect us to pick up a flotsam and jetsam WR as well as draft one or two.

And I honestly would not be surprised to see us sign Winston back. He might not be the greatest RT of all time but he could stabilize that position for a bit; I expect us to re-sign Harris and Butler, instead.

ThaJokaa
03-21-2013, 12:16 PM
I dont see any other FA's that contribute on our team right now so...
Who can we draft at ILB in the draft? Other than Manti Te'o?

With the Rams losing Almendola, I'm sure they'll pick up Tavon Austin from WV. I wanted to pick him up, but seems like we'll be going with an ILB if that happens.

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2013, 12:20 PM

With the Rams losing Almendola, I'm sure they'll pick up Tavon Austin from WV. I wanted to pick him up, but seems like we'll be going with an ILB if that happens.

I'm expecting us to go with Minter (if we go early), or Bostic or Reddick if we wait until the 2-3, or Klein, Cain, or Greer if we go later than that.

badboy
03-21-2013, 12:20 PM

With the Rams losing Almendola, I'm sure they'll pick up Tavon Austin from WV. I wanted to pick him up, but seems like we'll be going with an ILB if that happens.My guy A J Klein can be selected in 4-5th and should be a perfect fit. I would start him in this defense. I do expect a vet to be signed cheaply and let's not forget possible additions after June 1st cuts.

srrono
03-21-2013, 12:22 PM
I am not expecting anymore signings til after June 1st designation.

HOU-TEX
03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Competition for the LS position

mussop
03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
There are two veteran NT's out there who are at the same stage of their career as Reed that would probably come cheap. It would be Stupid not to at least take a look at them.

Vinny
03-21-2013, 12:47 PM
McNair talked about some "reasonably priced" vets...so we will be filling holes before the draft. No way we walk into the draft with big holes on the roster.

dalemurphy
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
McNair talked about some "reasonably priced" vets...so we will be filling holes before the draft. No way we walk into the draft with big holes on the roster.

I think the following three things MUST happen before the draft:

1. free agent wide receiver with some speed

2. capable free agent OT (likely Ryan Harris)

3. at least one free agent LB to play OLB or ILB with coverage ability.

Insideop
03-21-2013, 01:33 PM

My thinking is still WR in the 1st. Don't know how it's all going to shake out, but I think if Allen or Hopkins is there at #27, that's who they'll get. They may try to trade back a little if only Hopkins is there and they have someone who wants to move up, possibly for a QB. As for ILB, my guess is 2nd or 3rd round.

El Tejano
03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
I was hoping we would bring Early Doucet for a visit but seems like his best year was two years ago and he isn't really much of an upgrade over Walter.

Allstar
03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
I'd say it's very likely we bring in a vet WR.

Jackie Chiles
03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
I'd like to see us go after Daryl Smith if he is healthy. Don't think he has had much action since FA began so hopefully he won't be asking much. Also I would be interested in Sedrick Ellis as a backup NT. Technically though Lechler is really the next move.

I would also be interested in knowing whats the deal with Shaun Phillips? I've seen him on all the FA lists but haven't heard if he is going back to San Diego or if he is injured or what. Seems like he could be a nice OLB for us which might allow Brooks to slide to ILB if thats what the coaching staff wants.

b0ng
03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
A couple of cheaper contracts to continue to fill out some depth (Maybe a couple of signings that are slightly over the vet minimum).

BullNation4Life
03-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Where? There isn't a FA WR with speed, unless you want one that cannot catch the ball. If so go get Heyward-Bey...

as for LB, I see several on the FA Tracker that might come here. One that comes to mind that played with Ed Reed is Bart Scott to play next to Cushing...

76Texan
03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
I am not expecting anymore signings til after June 1st designation.

A couple of cheaper contracts to continue to fill out some depth (Maybe a couple of signings that are slightly over the vet minimum).

We'll need to know Ed Reed's numbers as far as cap space to determine whether we can afford a mid-level FA.

Obviously, if they find a borderline guy (with potential to improve), they can still restructure a contract or two to make room for him.

But otherwise; yeah, I think it's better to stay pat until after the Jun 1 cut or only sign guys at min vet salary so that we can get a couple of comp picks next year.

GP
03-21-2013, 01:58 PM
I don't know what the final numbers are for Ed Reed....

But if I were to be able to make one more big FA move, I'd bring in Eric Winston. I'd put him on a 2-year deal at about $2.5 million-per and structure it so that we have room for one more middle-of-the-road signing and the rest for rookie salaries and PS guys.

Why Winston?

Because I'd put him at RT and slide Newton inside to RG. I think he fits better at G than T right now. He needs to get things shaped up before manning the edge, IMO, and I like Winston's run blocking more than Newton's. Winston can road-grade on a more consistent basis.

On the left side, I'd have DB at LT, and then Ben Jones at LG, with a platoon of guys working in and out of the G and T positions to spell the starters. Mondek might be a sleeper guy for us in 2013, too.

I think we need a return to 2011 in terms of our right side of the OL.

Winston might be holding out for bigger money than what we could give him. I'm sure his vet minimum is not much less than what we could stand to offer him, which I think he would reject since we dumped him.

BUT...if I were to be able to manageably add another key player to improve this team and know that it's a relatively safe bet...it'd be Winston, if it could happen.

However, more realistically I can see us adding middle of the road talent to keep the cap space healthy enough for us on rookie signings, PS guys, and emergency money at preseason and reg season if we needed it. In other words, vet minimum deals.

mussop
03-21-2013, 01:59 PM

So you are ok with what we currently have at NT?

SW H-TOWN
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
We still need a starting FB, WR, DT, P. We have our starters at both ILB positions and RT coming off major surgeries. On top of that we are one injury away from KEO becoming a starter and that can never happen. We need to address as many of these spots as possible before the draft and hope that we hit a couple out of the park on draft day.

Here is what I would be looking at...

FB - Draft
WR - Draft
DT - Alan Branch, Casey Hampton, and or draft
P - Lechler, Jones, or draft
ILB - Larry Grant, Brad Jones or draft. Also need to sign Dobbins or Ruud.
RT - Ryan Harris and draft
S - Draft

b0ng
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't know what the final numbers are for Ed Reed....

But if I were to be able to make one more big FA move, I'd bring in Eric Winston. I'd put him on a 2-year deal at about $2.5 million-per and structure it so that we have room for one more middle-of-the-road signing and the rest for rookie salaries and PS guys.

Why Winston?

Because I'd put him at RT and slide Newton inside to RG. I think he fits better at G than T right now. He needs to get things shaped up before manning the edge, IMO, and I like Winston's run blocking more than Newton's. Winston can road-grade on a more consistent basis.

On the left side, I'd have DB at LT, and then Ben Jones at LG, with a platoon of guys working in and out of the G and T positions to spell the starters. Mondek might be a sleeper guy for us in 2013, too.

I think we need a return to 2011 in terms of our right side of the OL.

Winston might be holding out for bigger money than what we could give him. I'm sure his vet minimum is not much less than what we could stand to offer him, which I think he would reject since we dumped him.

BUT...if I were to be able to manageably add another key player to improve this team and know that it's a relatively safe bet...it'd be Winston, if it could happen.

However, more realistically I can see us adding middle of the road talent to keep the cap space healthy enough for us on rookie signings, PS guys, and emergency money at preseason and reg season if we needed it. In other words, vet minimum deals.

Winston is either signed or has agreed to terms with Miami.

HOU-TEX
03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I think we'll be signing several more players. I think we currently only have 50-52 players on the roster. That's a crapload of signings to get that number up going into TC. I reckon a couple few of those might be good enough to stick if we scout worth a darn.

dalemurphy
03-21-2013, 02:28 PM

That list was a minimum expectation based on how I believe the Texans see their needs and reasonable expectations regarding what can be addressed in the draft.

I think they are pretty happy with their DL situation, with 5 returning contributors from last season, including a "co-starter" at DT (Mitchell). They also have some young guys they have hope for... Regardless, I believe they would be comfortable addressing NT depth in the draft (or afterwards).

WR: I just don't believe they want to go into the draft with so little speed and vet... I don't know who they will get, but I'm not suggesting a top tier guy with elite speed... Perhaps someone like D. Henderson or Ted Ginn jr. (not my choices but reasonable possibilities)

rolyat93
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd say it's very likely we bring in a vet WR.

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/walter2.jpg

TheGoldenGreek
03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
What's the status of Tim Dobbins?

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2013, 03:21 PM
What's the status of Tim Dobbins?

Unsigned and waiting by the phone, last I heard.

SW H-TOWN
03-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Perhaps an ILB if they're going cheap as I'm not at all confident that Sharpton will ever contribute meaningful time.

Otherwise, prepare for the draft.

I am not too confident in Sharpton either. If I had to pick one move I would sign Brad Jones. He is a 3 down backer and would allow us to not address ILB in the draft. I would feel really good with Cushing and Jones as our starters and then have Sharpton and either Dobbins or Ruud as our 4th ILB. That would be ideal. We would have two 3 down backers like the 49ers.

Doppelganger
03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/walter2.jpg

I can't wait to see the message board blow up when he is resigned as the "vet WR"!!!

Playoffs
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I am not too confident in Sharpton either. If I had to pick one move I would sign Brad Jones. He is a 3 down backer and would allow us to not address ILB in the draft. I would feel really good with Cushing and Jones as our starters and then have Sharpton and either Dobbins or Ruud as our 4th ILB. That would be ideal. We would have two 3 down backers like the 49ers.

ILBs seem to be the "new RBs" -- value(cost) quickly dropping. Some decent options out there that look better than what we had in '12. Hopefully we can steal one in this buyer's market. May depend on Reed's numbers.

HOU-TEX
03-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I can't wait to see the message board blow up when he is resigned as the "vet WR"!!!

I wouldn't have a problem re-signing KDub. As long as we don't trot him out there as our #2

ASidd_1990
03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Sebastian Vollmer or Brandon Lloyd please!

SW H-TOWN
03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
ILBs seem to be the "new RBs" -- value(cost) quickly dropping. Some decent options out there that look better than what we had in '12. Hopefully we can steal one in this buyer's market. May depend on Reed's numbers.

Agreed again. At first I thought that that there was no way we could sign Brad Jones. Guy is 27 years old and a proven 3 down backer. Now since the feeding frenzy has subsided I believe that it is a real possibility that we can sign a starter at ILB for a reasonable price. IMO Brad Jones is clearly the cream of the crop but Dansby would also be a massive upgrade. We could probably sign Larry Grant for cheap but I would prefer a proven starter.

GP
03-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Winston is either signed or has agreed to terms with Miami.

Ah, thanks.

Have been a bit absence on the Internet the past 48 hours, so I didn't know.

Well, Miami certainly is signing guys up left and right. I think they could be pretty good if Hartline continues his streak of good play. With Mike Wallace added, and a QB a year older, might be pretty good and can challenge Patriots.

TexanSam
03-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Ah, thanks.

Have been a bit absence on the Internet the past 48 hours, so I didn't know.

Well, Miami certainly is signing guys up left and right. I think they could be pretty good if Hartline continues his streak of good play. With Mike Wallace added, and a QB a year older, might be pretty good and can challenge Patriots.

I'm not sure if they're ready to challenge the Patriots just yet. Ryan Tannehill had a decent season as a rookie, but he would have to take a big step forward in order for them to even think about winning the AFC East. I would not be surprised if they are a wild card team next season though.

msbbc833
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Agreed again. At first I thought that that there was no way we could sign Brad Jones. Guy is 27 years old and a proven 3 down backer. Now since the feeding frenzy has subsided I believe that it is a real possibility that we can sign a starter at ILB for a reasonable price. IMO Brad Jones is clearly the cream of the crop but Dansby would also be a massive upgrade. We could probably sign Larry Grant for cheap but I would prefer a proven starter.

Brad Jones stays with Packers http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/brad-jones-returns-to-packers/

76Texan
03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
We still need a starting FB, WR, DT, P. We have our starters at both ILB positions and RT coming off major surgeries. On top of that we are one injury away from KEO becoming a starter and that can never happen. We need to address as many of these spots as possible before the draft and hope that we hit a couple out of the park on draft day.

Here is what I would be looking at...

FB - Draft
WR - Draft
DT - Alan Branch, Casey Hampton, and or draft
P - Lechler, Jones, or draft
ILB - Larry Grant, Brad Jones or draft. Also need to sign Dobbins or Ruud.
RT - Ryan Harris and draft
S - Draft
According to my estimation, the Texans should have a couple of MM left (after allowing for Reed, Gardner, and all the draft picks.)

They can sign a mid-level player with that.
They can still sign guys at higher dollar level, since they can always cut another guy later on when they need to reduce the roster to 53.

For example, if they are comfortable with Meyers, Brook, Jones, White (and a rookie) they can cut Wade Smith to have an extra $2M.

However, if they plan to retain W Smith, the Texans would probably be better of signing veterans like Harris and Dobbins to minim veteran deals.

Last year, they didn't sign Demps until the end of March and Dobbins and James until mid April, and Harris was signed after the final cut, so we might not see much if any action for awhile.

76Texan
03-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Brad Jones stays with Packers http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/brad-jones-returns-to-packers/

Why did he take a one-yr deal?
Will he get a chance to start?
If he doesn't start, how is he going to prove himself for the next contract?

ObsiWan
03-21-2013, 06:57 PM
According to my estimation, the Texans should have a couple of MM left (after allowing for Reed, Gardner, and all the draft picks.)

They can sign a mid-level player with that.
They can still sign guys at higher dollar level, since they can always cut another guy later on when they need to reduce the roster to 53.

For example, if they are comfortable with Meyers, Brook, Jones, White (and a rookie) they can cut Wade Smith to have an extra $2M.

However, if they plan to retain W Smith, the Texans would probably be better of signing veterans like Harris and Dobbins to minim veteran deals.

Last year, they didn't sign Demps until the end of March and Dobbins and James until mid April, and Harris was signed after the final cut, so we might not see much if any action for awhile.

Don't they usually leave 4-5 mil in the piggy bank to sign street urchins to replace injured folks?

76Texan
03-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Don't they usually leave 4-5 mil in the piggy bank to sign street urchins to replace injured folks?

If they don't dole out signing bonus like crazy, all of the contracts are non-guaranteed and can be void at any time. The guys that we currently have on the roster like Hunter, McGee, etc. can be cut any time, so there's no need for additional cap space.

They just need to stay under according to league rules; besides, if the want to they can restructure a contract or two to get more cap space for 2013.

TexanBacker93
03-21-2013, 08:51 PM

I wonder if this is because with the increased emphasis on the passing game and the proliferation of mutant TEs that are too fast for LBs to cover that teams are playing their ILBs less.

It's why I don't see the Texans using a high draft pick on an ILB. I'd rather them get a cheap vet and use a lower pick on someone to backup.

I don't think we see anyone else signed until after the draft. Maybe a minor guy or a returning player.

With 4 picks in the first 95 I would like to see:
WR
NT
S
OLB or T if they don't think Newton's the guy

With the final 5 picks:
CB
ILB
OLB or T
TE
QB/P/FB It would depend on if there is a QB they think can be the guy at some point.

kingtexan
03-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Maybe they will overpay someone else who is at the end of their career and has more chance of going "Boselli", than improving the team for a considerable amount of next year. I could see them making a run a Urlacher. Instead of making a run at young talent for the future of the team, they seem to be going all in on the next two years, which says they are saying to the HC, QB, etc that if it doesn't happen by then it will be time to keep a few key elements and start completely over.

Uncle Rico
03-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Disagree with the notion that a good ILB or 2 depending on the scheme can be played by just anybody. This team was soft up the middle last year, and it was most definitely because the ILB was poor, PLUS the NT wasn't much better.

If you're soft up the middle you're in trouble.

TexanBacker93
03-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Disagree with the notion that a good ILB or 2 depending on the scheme can be played by just anybody. This team was soft up the middle last year, and it was most definitely because the ILB was poor, PLUS the NT wasn't much better.

If you're soft up the middle you're in trouble.

Our ILB was poor because we were missing an All Pro level player. You add him back in there and the rest of those players aren't playing as many snaps and we are solidified up the middle. Well, at least at LB.

I think we need better play at NT to help our ILBs. We had a lot of injuries at that spot all year and I think having a better guy in the middle of the line can only help the LBs.

Nawzer
03-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Could use a starter at NT. I don't think Earl Mitchell is anything more than a rotation guy. Casey Hampton is out there and was a HOF caliber player at his position.

tru80texan
03-21-2013, 11:22 PM

Lol! When will the Walter silliness die? He isn't worth a roster spot & obviously the Texans finally woke up & realized it. They forced him to take a pay cut last season & then finally just cut him this season which, if I recall correctly, did cost the Texans in some dead money. It wouldn't be smart to bring back a player that contributes very little as a wr, costed you some cap space already & then re-sign them again to cost you even more money. Walter's time is over here & I for one am glad. It's time to improve & actually have a potential playmaker opposite of Andre instead of an out position FB.

wildroot
03-22-2013, 12:22 AM
I'd like to see us make a play for Victor Cruz. They were talking about that on Serius, us giving up our 1st round pick for him.

DX-TEX
03-22-2013, 12:24 AM
I'd like to see us make a play for Victor Cruz. They were talking about that on Serius, us giving up our 1st round pick for him.

Don't forget giving him some crazy contract and even then you have to hope the Giants don't match.

Not worth the risk

tru80texan
03-22-2013, 12:26 AM

Man, I wish!! He proved this past season that he can make plays even if he's the primary target when Nicks got hurt. I can see him being worth the pick, it's the big money contract the Texans can't handle at this point. It seems the Texans are preparing themselves for what Cushing & Watt will demand in the future & we all know it won't be cheap.

ASidd_1990
03-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Victor Cruz would most likely command a salary of 15 million a year or a contract similar to what Calvin Johnson got. Plus you have to give up a 1st rounder? Not worth it.

Besides we have to worry about Cushing and Watt contract coming up.

I'd look at Brandon Lloyd for cheap. He's the perfect weapon next to AJ.

Dutchrudder
03-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Victor Cruz would most likely command a salary of 15 million a year or a contract similar to what Calvin Johnson got. Plus you have to give up a 1st rounder? Not worth it.

Besides we have to worry about Cushing and Watt contract coming up.

15 a year for Cruz? Which of your acclaimed sources told you that?

wildroot
03-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Don't forget giving him some crazy contract and even then you have to hope the Giants don't match.

Not worth the risk

What's the risk if the Giants match?

They're tight up against the cap anyway....3 mil or so.

Rufus Jarvis
03-22-2013, 01:03 AM
ILB Takeo Spikes anyone?

WR Quan Cosby has great hands and does well at finding soft spots on the defense (imo). Just sayin'....

SW H-TOWN
03-22-2013, 01:42 AM

Damn, I wonder how much he signed for.

SW H-TOWN
03-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Should have attempted to sign Jones, proven 3 down backer at a position of need. I would bring in Dansby to see if we could sign him to a reasonable contract.

Uncle Rico
03-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Our ILB was poor because we were missing an All Pro level player. You add him back in there and the rest of those players aren't playing as many snaps and we are solidified up the middle. Well, at least at LB.

I think we need better play at NT to help our ILBs. We had a lot of injuries at that spot all year and I think having a better guy in the middle of the line can only help the LBs.

I really dont want Cush to be headbanging at the LOS. I'd prefer for him to roam and be a playmaker. Bring in a specialist ILB that will seek and destroy.

Scooter
03-22-2013, 07:40 AM
ILB Takeo Spikes anyone?

WR Quan Cosby has great hands and does well at finding soft spots on the defense (imo). Just sayin'....

would love to have takeo, if for no other reason than to get him to the playoffs. he'd be a vet minimum short yardage backup, but who could say no to having a player with a neck that big?

SAMURAITEXAN
03-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Anyone has Japanese first name is good to me. Even though he isn't Japanese, at least his first name is Japanese.

steelbtexan
03-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Sign Lechler

Bring Casey Hampton home

Lucky
03-22-2013, 08:12 AM
If the Texans were going to cut Wade Smith, don't you think they would have by now?

15 a year for Cruz? Which of your acclaimed sources told you that?
Might as well be $50 million, because the Texans aren't making a play for Cruz. I doubt they have the cap room for Lloyd. I don't think there's anything left but room for minimum contracts and the draft picks. If the Texans are going to do anything else in free agency, they need to work out something with Antonio Smith's contract.

Playoffs
03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
If reported yr1 figure for Ed Reed($6mil) is his cap figure, then Texans basically have vet min. contracts to hand out, barring restructures

kingtexan
03-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Might as well be $50 million, because the Texans aren't making a play for Cruz. I doubt they have the cap room for Lloyd. I don't think there's anything left but room for minimum contracts and the draft picks. If the Texans are going to do anything else in free agency, they need to work out something with Antonio Smith's contract.

Unfortunately I believe what we are seeing from the Texans is a team, and especially a coaching staff that believes so much in "the system" they feel that the players needed to win it all are on the team now. Hope as a fan that is true, but its hard to see.

srrono
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
What do you guys think about ex NYG WR Steve Smith? He is 27 had a couple good yrs for NYGs I don't know why his production dropped.

Insideop
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
ILB Takeo Spikes anyone?

I don't know if anyone welcomed you to the board or not, so welcome! And, I wanted to say I like your "Josey Wales" avatar. That's John Vernon, aka. "Dean Wormer" from "Animal House." Your avatar looks like the scene where Vernon tells the senator, "We have a saying in Missouri, Senator. Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." That's one of the great classic lines in the that movie! :)

Again, Welcome to the boards!

b0ng
03-22-2013, 01:39 PM
What do you guys think about ex NYG WR Steve Smith? He is 27 had a couple good yrs for NYGs I don't know why his production dropped.

He got injured in 2010 and just really wasn't the same on the Eagles. I don't know how his time on the Rams went but judging by the stats, I'll go ahead and say not very good.

srrono
03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
I would like one of these vets. The longer they sit the cheaper they will cost.
Antoine Winfield CB
or
Shaun Phillips OLB
or
Michael Boley LB
or
Karlos Dansby LB
or
Sione Pouha NT
or
Chris Cooley TE

tru80texan
03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
I would like one of these vets. The longer they sit the cheaper they will cost.
Antoine Winfield CB
or
Shaun Phillips OLB
or
Michael Boley LB
or
Karlos Dansby LB
or
Sione Pouha NT
or
Chris Cooley TE

I don't see Winfield as an option as the Texans seem to be set at CB w/ McCain signing. Maybe if they decide to move one of the CB's to safety, but as it stands now they seem set.

I wouldn't mind seeing Phillips, Boley, Dansby, or Poucha, but I don't think the vet minimum will get them here. As you said, the longer the wait the lower the price, so it could happen but I have my doubts.

No on Cooley. He has had injury issues & doesn't fit what the Texans need, which is a blocking TE. We got the receiving TE's in Graham & OD & I don't believe we need another who is injury prone on top of that.

Texn4life
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
I think its possible we move around some money to sign a few more guys.

I like some of the names mentioned. Someone mentioned Spikes and I think he'd be a solid signing to play alongside Cushing. But if Cushing gets hurt then we have the same problem as last year. I have a feeling that we're done until after the draft though unless someone just seems like too good of a value to pass up on now. Lechler may be the lone exception.

TexCanada
03-22-2013, 02:47 PM
I'd really like to see us go get Casey Hampton. That is a move that could really have a big impact for us for a very reasonable price. Picking him up could also push the need to draft a NT to next year. It makes a lot of sense.

ObsiWan
03-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Free Agent WRs per RotoWorld (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13?pg=2)
not much high quality left to choose from

Dwayne Bowe (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4184/Dwayne-Bowe) (Signed five-year, $56M deal with KC)
Mike Wallace (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5329/Mike-Wallace) (Signed five-year, $60M deal with MIA)
Greg Jennings (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3652/Greg-Jennings) (Signed five-year, $47.5M deal with MIN)
Wes Welker (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/2964/Wes-Welker) (Signed two-year, $12M deal with DEN)
Danny Amendola (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4991/Danny-Amendola) (Signed five-year, $27.7M deal with NE)
Brian Hartline (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5191/Brian-Hartline) (Signed five-year, $30.775M deal with MIA)
Brandon Lloyd (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/449/brandon-lloyd)
Julian Edelman (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5440/Julian-Edelman)
Darrius Heyward-Bey (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5093/darrius-heyward-bey)
Laurent Robinson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4241/laurent-robinson)
Donnie Avery (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4724/Donnie-Avery) (Signed three-year, $8.55M deal with KC)
Jerome Simpson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4859/Jerome-Simpson) (Signed one-year, $2.1M deal with MIN)
Kevin Ogletree (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5164/Kevin-Ogletree) (Signed two-year, $2.6M deal with TB)
Randy Moss (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1655/Randy-Moss)
Braylon Edwards (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3126/Braylon-Edwards)
Austin Collie (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5176/austin-collie)
Donald Jones (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6046/donald-jones) (Signed three-year, $4.155M deal with NE)
Josh Cribbs (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3469/josh-cribbs)
Domenik Hixon
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3945/Domenik-Hixon)Ramses Barden
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5207/Ramses-Barden)Jabar Gaffney
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1716/Jabar-Gaffney)Brandon Stokley
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1501/Brandon-Stokley)Brandon Gibson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5291/Brandon-Gibson) (Signed three-year, $9.755M deal with MIA)
Steve Breaston (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4261/steve-breaston)
Titus Young (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6533/titus-young)
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/19/Plaxico-Burress)Mohamed Massaquoi (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5233/Mohamed-Massaquoi)
David Nelson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6048/david-nelson)
Kevin Walter (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2523/kevin-walter)
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1132/Deion-Branch)Mark Clayton
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3150/Mark-Clayton)Donte' Stallworth
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1043/Donte'-Stallworth)Brandon Tate
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5140/Brandon-Tate)

ObsiWan
03-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Second part of the WR listing.

Ted Ginn (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4168/ted-ginn) (Signed one-year deal with CAR)
Devery Henderson
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/43/Devery-Henderson)Louis Murphy (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5214/louis-murphy) (Signed one-year, $715K deal with NYG)
Michael Jenkins (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2645/michael-jenkins)
Derek Hagan (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3649/Derek-Hagan)
Early Doucet (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4681/early-doucet)
Terrell Owens (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/718/terrell-owens)
Plaxico Burress (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/19/Plaxico-Burress) (Signed one-year, $940K deal with PIT)
Chaz Schilens
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4964/Chaz-Schilens)Sammie Stroughter
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5441/sammie-stroughter)Steve Smith (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4227/Steve-Smith) (STL)
Devin Aromashodu (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3758/Devin-Aromashodu)
Marlon Moore (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6056/marlon-moore) (Signed one-year deal with SF)
Jordan Shipley (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5745/jordan-shipley) (Signed two-year, $1.315M deal with JAX)
Chad Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/2544/Chad-Johnson)
Deion Branch (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1132/Deion-Branch)
Adrian Arrington
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4655/Adrian-Arrington)Courtney Roby (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3207/courtney-roby) (Signed undisclosed deal with NO)
Jason Hill
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4191/Jason-Hill)Greg Camarillo
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3871/Greg-Camarillo)Kassim Osgood (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/600/kassim-osgood) (Signed one-year deal with DET)
Roscoe Parrish
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3197/Roscoe-Parrish)Big Mike Williams
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3124/mike-williams)Lee Evans
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/26/Lee-Evans)Micheal Spurlock (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4145/micheal-spurlock)
Brandon Banks (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6405/brandon-banks)
Mike Sims-Walker
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4243/Mike-Sims-Walker)Ruvell Martin (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3844/ruvell-martin)
Legedu Naanee (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4271/legedu-naanee)

silvrhand
03-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Personally I'd take a swing at Braylon Edwards.

thunderkyss
03-22-2013, 09:35 PM
There are two veteran NT's out there who are at the same stage of their career as Reed that would probably come cheap. It would be Stupid not to at least take a look at them.

I know you don't have a lot of respect for Kubiak & Smith, but hopefully Wade has earned some of your respect, where you don't think he is stupid.

Chances are we are not going to look at those NTs. Maybe because Wade, Kubiak, & Smith do not believe they fit one way or another.

If we go into next season without an "upgrade" at NT, we'll have to believe that what we are looking for is not what they are looking for. Then we need to try to understand what it is they are after. Something tells me whatever it is, it looks like Cody & Mitchell.

ObsiWan
03-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Personally I'd take a swing at Braylon Edwards.

Heyard-Bey might be worth a look.

thunderkyss
03-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Free Agent WRs per RotoWorld (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13?pg=2)

Darrius Heyward-Bey (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5093/darrius-heyward-bey)
[/URL]Mohamed Massaquoi (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5233/Mohamed-Massaquoi)

I still like those names. Massaquoi...... sooner or later, he's going to get healthy.

Uncle Rico
03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Casey Hampton, Roscoe Parrish + the draft picks = champagne showers

:trophy:

76Texan
03-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Next move: Rick Smith fires himself! :kitten:

ASidd_1990
03-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Brandon Lloyd or Casey Hampton would be ideal but I don't think we could afford them.

Texn4life
03-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Brandon Lloyd or Casey Hampton would be ideal but I don't think we could afford them.

Casey and any receiver capable of making plays to me is cool. Lloyd won't cost that much, but I'm a little curious why the Patriots don't want him back, plus he's never been able to stick anywhere. Just raises a red flag to me.

mariowillshine15
03-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Heyward-Bey. Great speed, size combo. Iffy hands and routes but good coaching could fix that.

the wonger need food
03-22-2013, 11:18 PM
There are actually 4-5 guys on that list that could come here and help this WR corp. I would think lost of them would take the minimum or close to it at this point so I'm not sure what Rick's waiting for.

ObsiWan
03-22-2013, 11:56 PM
There are actually 4-5 guys on that list that could come here and help this WR corp. I would think lost of them would take the minimum or close to it at this point so I'm not sure what Rick's waiting for.

Thing is, hardly anyone is courting the the guys left on that list because they have questions regarding their return to full health (Breaston, D. Stallworth) or they've been inconsistent (B. Edwards, Heywood-Bey)...

I think Rick Smith and all the other GMs are waiting to see how the draft shakes out and to see who, if anyone, emerges in OTAs

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 12:14 AM
How about a dark horse FA WR .

David Nelson, WR, Bills

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1634499/david-nelson

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2013, 12:20 AM

David Nelson, WR, Bills

The problem with signing him now is that you don't know when he's going to be healthy and you're taking a big risk on a spot you could be using for someone who'll contribute. Sometimes ACLs can take over a year to recover from.

OTOH, if I knew he'd be ready near the beginning of the season... he could be a good risk to take.

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 12:23 AM

David Nelson, WR, Bills

The guy that got down on his knees for the Cowboys cheerleader that one time? Nope I'll pass. Buffalo didn't even think he was worthy of being a #2. Buffalo!!!

michaelm
03-23-2013, 12:28 AM
The problem with signing him now is that you don't know when he's going to be healthy and you're taking a big risk on a spot you could be using for someone who'll contribute. Sometimes ACLs can take over a year to recover from.

OTOH, if I knew he'd be ready near the beginning of the season... he could be a good risk to take.

I wouldn't mind them taking a look at Laurent Robinson, providing he can pass a physical (concussions).

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 12:29 AM
The guy that got down on his knees for the Cowboys cheerleader that one time? Nope I'll pass. Buffalo didn't even think he was worthy of being a #2. Buffalo!!!

He didn't play last year .

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 12:31 AM

Pretty sure it was 2 years ago. Did it in a blowout too if I remember right.

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2013, 12:33 AM
I'd like for The Ninja to have a man-to-man talk with Karlos Dansby, his old running mate with the Cardinals when they went to the Super Bowl, and have him come here to play ILB.

We'd have to restructure some guys to be able to afford that but there you go.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 12:34 AM
Pretty sure it was 2 years ago. Did it in a blowout too if I remember right.

He had 61 receptions in 2011 starting 13 games in his 2nd year . In 2012 tore his ACL in the first game .

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 12:34 AM

Oh sorry you're talking about him being a #2. They've been looking for receivers even with him there. There's been talk for years that Johnson needs a better weapon on the other side. He's not terrible, but think we can do better.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Oh sorry you're talking about him being a #2. They've been looking for receivers even with him there. There's been talk for years that Johnson needs a better weapon on the other side. He's not terrible, but think we can do better.

He's better than anybody but AJ on the Texans .

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 12:37 AM
He had 61 receptions in 2011 starting 13 games in his 2nd year . In 2012 tore his ACL in the first game .

I was half way joking because of what he did in the Cowboys game. If you don't remember look it up. It was very cheesy. He did have a decent year that year, but they threw the ball a ton also.

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 12:37 AM
He's better than anybody but AJ on the Texans .

So was Kevin Walter.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 12:39 AM
I was half way joking because of what he did in the Cowboys game. If you don't remember look it up. It was very cheesy. He did have a decent year that year, but they threw the ball a ton also.

I've seen it .

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 12:42 AM
So was Kevin Walter.

Nelson is bigger , faster , and younger than Walter . I think you could get him on the cheap and have options on who to take with the 27th pick .

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 12:42 AM
I've seen it .

Honestly I was wondering what happened to him last year. Sucks that he got hurt, and if the FO felt he was the best guy out there then I wouldn't be against it, but I think there are better options.

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Nelson is bigger , faster , and younger than Walter . I think you could get him on the cheap and have options on who to take with the 27th pick .

I think you were missing my point, but you're high on him. I'm personally not. No biggie my man.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 01:00 AM
I think you were missing my point, but you're high on him. I'm personally not. No biggie my man.

I want the Texans to take Justin Hunter in the 1st . In the 2nd a NG or RT in the 3rd the one you didn't pick and an ILB unless a safety is there .

A guy like Nelson is just for depth .

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 01:11 AM
I want the Texans to take Justin Hunter in the 1st . In the 2nd a NG or RT in the 3rd the one you didn't pick and an ILB unless a safety is there .

I like Hunter where we pick as well. His injury history and build scares the beejeezus out of me though, but his upside is HUGE! We feel about the same on the draft except I would replace RT with a safety. If, and its a big if, Newton is healthy then I think his improvement will be substantial. You could even see his growth as the season went along. Harris is also a guy we can bring back for depth so I'd rather get a young safety since this is such a good draft for them. Then take a RT in the 4th if we really need one.

I've made no secret that I want Ramses Barden. I can't use stats to back why because he doesn't have the numbers, but is upside is something that'll pay off I believe.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 01:18 AM
I like Hunter where we pick as well. His injury history and build scares the beejeezus out of me though, but his upside is HUGE! We feel about the same on the draft except I would replace RT with a safety. If, and its a big if, Newton is healthy then I think his improvement will be substantial. You could even see his growth as the season went along. Harris is also a guy we can bring back for depth so I'd rather get a young safety since this is such a good draft for them. Then take a RT in the 4th if we really need one.

I've made no secret that I want Ramses Barden. I can't use stats to back why because he doesn't have the numbers, but is upside is something that'll pay off I believe.

If Newton is healthy then I'll take Jon Bostic and Corey Lemonier in the 3rd .

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 01:24 AM

Can't say I'm familiar with those guys. If Hampton signs with us before the draft then I think we can eliminate NT early. Based on what I'm hearing he won't play for the minimum. His friends and family are working on him though.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2013, 01:27 AM
Can't say I'm familiar with those guys. If Hampton signs with us before the draft then I think we can eliminate NT early. Based on what I'm hearing he won't play for the minimum. His friends and family are working on him though.

Hmmm ... Hampton signs then I'm looking at Jesse Williams at NG/DE .

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2013, 01:30 AM

I'd be really happy with Bostic and ecstatic with Lemonier in the 3rd.

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 01:40 AM
Hmmm ... Hampton signs then I'm looking at Jesse Williams at NG/DE .

So Earl Mitchell hits the skids then huh?

eriadoc
03-23-2013, 01:41 AM
It would be a big move, but the market seems to be too soft for John Abraham right now. He'll be 35 years old when the season starts, and it seems that teams are really overlooking him right now. Or he could be asking too much; who knows? But the guy had 10 sacks last year, his tackles were on par with every other year of his career, he had 7 passes deflected, which is a career high for him, and he forced 6 fumbles, which ties his career high. I realize the Texans probably blew their budget on Reed, but it'd be pretty nice to lie in the weeds and snag Abraham when guys like Dumervil and Umenyiora are gone.

mussop
03-23-2013, 01:41 AM
I wonder how high of a draft pick we could get for A Smith? I love Smith but if we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him and at the same time free up that big salary of his, we could sign a couple of free agents like Seymour and Hampton to one year deals.

Just thinking out loud!

ASidd_1990
03-23-2013, 01:58 AM
It's from Clutchfans so TIFWIW

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7765718&postcount=25

A coworker of mine just texted me with information. He has a friend who works for Fox Sports Net that said the two most likely destinations for Urlacher are Houston and Miami. Not sure how reliable that information is, though.

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 02:12 AM

Doesn't make sense on a lot of fronts. I'd rather have Spikes if we're gonna get an older LB.

srrono
03-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Here is a look at the number of snaps that need to be replaced.
The whole list are FAs the ones in Bold are signed else where.

OFF Total 2256
416 OT Harris
355 OG Caldwell
609 FB Casey
124 RB Forset
752 WR Walter

DEF Total 4360
261 NT Cody
22 DE Nading
1020 OLB Barwin
96 ILB Ruud
655 ILB James
395 ILB Dobbins
411 CB Routt
100 CB Ball
1046 S Quin
354 S Demps

LINK (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agents-houston-texans/)

Texn4life
03-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Here is a look at the number of snaps that need to be replaced.
The whole list are FAs the ones in Bold are signed else where.

OFF Total 2256
416 OT Harris
355 OG Caldwell
609 FB Casey
124 RB Forset
752 WR Walter

DEF Total 4360
261 NT Cody
22 DE Nading
1020 OLB Barwin
96 ILB Ruud
655 ILB James
395 ILB Dobbins
411 CB Routt
100 CB Ball
1046 S Quin
354 S Demps

LINK (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agents-houston-texans/)

Routt played 411 snaps? No way that is right.

Scooter
03-23-2013, 09:36 AM
that must be including with the chiefs for routt (only 2 defensive snaps with the texans), otherwise those numbers are fairly close to what i see from football outsiders. i dont see anyone on the list who hasnt been replaced already, or will be a problem to replace.

thunderkyss
03-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Yeah, not 411 for us. I find that hard to believe.

drs23
03-23-2013, 10:42 AM

edit: nvm

ObsiWan
03-23-2013, 10:53 AM
From RotoWorld; the predicted pre-draft Texans' starters. The article (LINK (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42824/59/pre-draft-nfl-lineup-rankings)) ranked every team's predicted lineups and we were ranked at #11. The top five were:

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. San Francisco
4. New England
5. Green Bay
-----------------------------------

11. Houston Texans

QB: Matt Schaub
RB: Arian Foster
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Lestar Jean
TE: Owen Daniels
TE: Garrett Graham
LT: Duane Brown
LG: Wade Smith
C: Chris Myers
RG: Ben Jones
RT: Derek Newton

Offensive Overview: The Texans have a plethora of concerns on offense. The right side of the line was a major 2012 liability, run blocking particularly poorly. There is no viable No. 2 wide receiver. Now 32, Schaub's on-field performance is slipping. By the end of last season, he was Houston's single biggest problem. The Texans were low on cap space in free agency and lacked funds to upgrade. It will be interesting to see whether Foster begins to decline. He's averaged a league-most 372 touches the past three seasons and his YPC average has dipped each year.

LE: J.J. Watt
RE: Antonio Smith
NT: Earl Mitchell
ILB: Brian Cushing
ILB: Darryl Sharpton
OLB: Brooks Reed
OLB: Whitney Mercilus
RCB: Kareem Jackson
LCB: Johnathan Joseph
FS: Ed Reed
SS: Danieal Manning

Defensive Overview: Defense is the Texans' strength, but this unit is not without flaws. All of Houston's free-agent efforts were poured into Reed, who may or may not be worth it going on age 35. Inside linebacker next to Cushing, nose tackle, and outside 'backer all face concerning turnover. Watt, Cushing, Smith, Joseph, and Manning give the Texans five beastly defenders -- and Mercilus has the potential to join them -- but GM Rick Smith must emerge from the draft with two or three defensive starters while also selecting a No. 2 receiver. Smith has nine draft picks this year, including four in the top 95.

While it's possible, I don't see Smithiak completely pulling off the bolded. Free agents will have to fill some holes or Brooks Reed and Mercilus will have to step up big time on D and on offense someone (Newton?) will have to step up and claim the RT spot as their own.

GP
03-23-2013, 11:01 AM

For What It's Worth???

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Worth = 0

michaelm
03-23-2013, 12:57 PM
GM Rick Smith must emerge from the draft with two or three defensive starters while also selecting a No. 2 receiver. Smith has nine draft picks this year, including four in the top 95

While it's possible, I don't see Smithiak completely pulling off the bolded. Free agents will have to fill some holes or Brooks Reed and Mercilus will have to step up big time on D and on offense someone (Newton?) will have to step up and claim the RT spot as their own.

Under this regime, their MO has always been to fill holes with free agents so there is no glaring position of need going into the draft. IMO, that has been one if their strongest, most consistent tendencies.
I think there is little chance they roll into the draft without shoring up the weak spots so they can go BPA on draft day.
And absolutely zero chance that they will need a draftee to step in as WR2.

DX-TEX
03-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Under this regime, their MO has always been to fill holes with free agents so there is no glaring position of need going into the draft. IMO, that has been one if their strongest, most consistent tendencies.
I think there is little chance they roll into the draft without shoring up the weak spots so they can go BPA on draft day.

I just looked the FA list of WR's that are left and lets just say.....not impressed

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/available/

I would sign Zeke Markshausen just for the name though.

Vinny
03-23-2013, 01:48 PM
I just looked the FA list of WR's that are left and lets just say.....not impressed

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/available/

well, that's what you get on the cheap. It's like buying onions when the good ones are already picked over.

michaelm
03-23-2013, 02:03 PM
well, that's what you get on the cheap. It's like buying onions when the good ones are already picked over.

I wouldn't be upset if they made an offer to RFA Denario Alexander. SD tendered him at the lowest level, and I think he's worth a look, although I admittedly don't know a lot about his knee issues, which have been somewhat numerous, IIRC.

bobbeaux
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't be upset if they made an offer to RFA Denario Alexander. SD tendered him at the lowest level, and I think he's worth a look, although I admittedly don't know a lot about his knee issues, which have been somewhat numerous, IIRC.

2 yrs @ 2 mil each w/ incentives . . . that'd be a hell of a move.

bobbeaux
03-23-2013, 03:13 PM

why not just have an open comp of fa's to fill our #2 wr . . . offer up the 2 yr/$2 mil per w/ incentives deal and see who comes calling to tryouts . . . it's not like anyone's beating down their doors right now . . . ;)

TXAg14
03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
IMO, Texans should focus their pre-draft efforts on signing some OL depth (Harris). What really killed the team down the stretch was the inability to run the ball very well. Texans are at their best when Foster gets his 30 touches and the team can control the clock by getting first downs on the ground. Then, mix in the play-action and the bootlegs and open up the field. Let the run help the passing game. I'd be talking with Winston again if he'd listen.

There really isn't anything to get in the WR market, unless you want to take some shots in the dark on guys who may have had previous success.

Other than that, I could see a defensive signing for some LB depth, but the team will probably hang tight until the draft.

Scooter
03-23-2013, 03:32 PM
but GM Rick Smith must emerge from the draft with two or three defensive starters while also selecting a No. 2 receiver.

i dont really agree with that. we need a #2 wide receiver, and that's pretty much our only starting need. nose tackle, outside linebacker, and inside linebacker all have "just a guy" types on the roster who can start opening day provided we're able to draft/sign depth. sure it'd be nice to hammer 4 positions with starters (and we very well might) through the draft, but i dont think it's that dire with studs all around them to pick up the slack.

76Texan
03-23-2013, 04:26 PM
i dont really agree with that. we need a #2 wide receiver, and that's pretty much our only starting need. nose tackle, outside linebacker, and inside linebacker all have "just a guy" types on the roster who can start opening day provided we're able to draft/sign depth. sure it'd be nice to hammer 4 positions with starters (and we very well might) through the draft, but i dont think it's that dire with studs all around them to pick up the slack.

While I do agree with others that it's prudent to have most if not all starters in place before the draft, I also don't think it had to be that way.

With certain positions like the #2 receiver, another deep draft means that some of those guys will be a starter comes next season. As a result, some UFAs will be forced to sit home watching the tube. A guy like Walter could be just a phone call away for vet minimum.

Same thing at RT; it's not a sure thing that Winston or some other guys will find a home. Then there's always Ryan Harris.

Caldwell or somebody else; Cody or somebody else; somehow, I think there will still be a guy or two that you can sign at vet minimum.

It might be best to wait for the rest of the teams who have abundance of cap space to overpay before we swoop in for the best of the rest.

The Colts for example, had spent a bunch of money that many believe is "excess" over value.

Teams like the Skins and the Cowboys also benefit us in the FA game by losing a ton of their cap space (and therefore were forced to be extra prudent with their acquisitions.)

The FA game is still at half-time; there's plenty to go yet.

bobbeaux
03-23-2013, 05:01 PM
While I do agree with others that it's prudent to have most if not all starters in place before the draft, I also don't think it had to be that way.

With certain positions like the #2 receiver, another deep draft means that some of those guys will be a starter comes next season. As a result, some UFAs will be forced to sit home watching the tube. A guy like Walter could be just a phone call away for vet minimum.

Same thing at RT; it's not a sure thing that Winston or some other guys will find a home. Then there's always Ryan Harris.

Caldwell or somebody else; Cody or somebody else; somehow, I think there will still be a guy or two that you can sign at vet minimum.

It might be best to wait for the rest of the teams who have abundance of cap space to overpay before we swoop in for the best of the rest.

this isn't the draft class to find a rookie wr that's ready to contribute from day 1 . . . we need at least 1 fa wr and i'm ok with resigning walter for min+, but we have an opportunity to at least upgrade now . . . some are talking about barden . . . hixon is the better wr to steal away from ny while they try to resign both hicks and cruz . . . ;)

and w/ a 4th, we can find a starter on the ol if our own haven't developed.

seems there will be a lot of guys playing for the vet min this year.

76Texan
03-23-2013, 05:09 PM
this isn't the draft class to find a rookie wr that's ready to contribute from day 1 . . . we need at least 1 fa wr and i'm ok with resigning walter for min+, but we have an opportunity to at least upgrade now . . . some are talking about barden . . . hixon is the better wr to steal away from ny while they try to resign both hicks and cruz . . . ;)

Sur, we all like to sign as many players that we love to have, but there are still teams out there with a ton of cap space that we don't want to engage in a bidding wars with like the Browns, the Bengals, the Dolphins, to name a few.

What we have over them is the possibility to go all the way.
It does help us in term of adding LBTE incentives to make the contract more attractive while those teams have to up their ante straight away for FAs.

Still, we have to watch our wallet, so to speak.

greekdbag
03-23-2013, 05:14 PM

I don't agree that this isn't the draft class to find a rookie wr that's ready to contribute from day 1. I love this wr class. I believe that Hopkins, Allen, Austin, and some of the others will contribute right from the get go.

djohn2oo8
03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't agree that this isn't the draft class to find a rookie wr that's ready to contribute from day 1. I love this wr class. I believe that Hopkins, Allen, Austin, and some of the others will contribute right from the get go.

I think we should take two recievers in this draft. But where we are picking in the first, I am in the Keenan Allen camp myself.

Corrosion
03-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Whats next .... Likely a bargin signing at a a few positions:

ILB - They ned a couple guys here as both James , Dobbins and Ruud are FA's tho I dont think they have signed elsewhere. They need to add at least two bodies here while improving the position.

RT - Newton isnt going to do a thing in offseason workouts and I have my doubts about him to begin with , Ryan Harris was not resigned (Yet). They have two healthy tackles on the roster - Brown and Gardner. If I was Matt Schaub I'd be practicing my fetal position ....

NT - I expect Mitchell and Crick to get the bulk of the work at NT as a cost cutting move but I could also see them signing another guy to a vet min kind of deal here because Crick was the third DE behind Watt and Ninja.

CB - I could see a cheap signing here as they did lose Alan Ball.

bobbeaux
03-23-2013, 06:40 PM

all i'm hearing is this is a great possession receiver class w/ no real #1 types . . . i really hope we don't spend a 1st on a possession wr, but instead draft a starter next to cushing . . . but, i'm all for a wr in the 2nd as that's when we'll get value . . . s and nt w/ our 2-3's and we've got solid rotation . . . ol in the 4th . . . ;)

bobbeaux
03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Sur, we all like to sign as many players that we love to have, but there are still teams out there with a ton of cap space that we don't want to engage in a bidding wars with like the Browns, the Bengals, the Dolphins, to name a few.

What we have over them is the possibility to go all the way.
It does help us in term of adding LBTE incentives to make the contract more attractive while those teams have to up their ante straight away for FAs.

Still, we have to watch our wallet, so to speak.

i'm not saying getting into a bidding war . . . i'm saying put it all out there and say "we are going to the superbowl and need a #2 wr starter . . . who's with us?" . . . 2 yrs @ 2 mil ea w/ incentives beats the min and allows us to see what we got and vise versa . . . if it's all good, the deal gets extended next year . . . ;)

Lucky
03-23-2013, 06:53 PM
I think an Antonio Smith extension might be coming up. Cutting a contract only creates another hole that would have to be filled. And the Texans still need to bring in vets at WR, ILB, and RT.

mussop
03-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Whats next .... Likely a bargin signing at a a few positions:

ILB - They ned a couple guys here as both James , Dobbins and Ruud are FA's tho I dont think they have signed elsewhere. They need to add at least two bodies here while improving the position.

RT - Newton isnt going to do a thing in offseason workouts and I have my doubts about him to begin with , Ryan Harris was not resigned (Yet). They have two healthy tackles on the roster - Brown and Gardner. If I was Matt Schaub I'd be practicing my fetal position ....

NT - I expect Mitchell and Crick to get the bulk of the work at NT as a cost cutting move but I could also see them signing another guy to a vet min kind of deal here because Crick was the third DE behind Watt and Ninja.

CB - I could see a cheap signing here as they did lose Alan Ball.

Did Crick play the nose at all last year? He's in the mid 280's. we're ****ed if those two are getting the majority of the snaps at NT. Teams are going to kill us up the middle. Our ILB's are going to be a mash unit AGAIN. Cushing will get wore down so fast he'll be worthless by the time the playoffs come around.

Unless Patterson falls we better go NT in the first. Of course that could change if we sign someone via FA.

badboy
03-23-2013, 09:52 PM
I wonder how high of a draft pick we could get for A Smith? I love Smith but if we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him and at the same time free up that big salary of his, we could sign a couple of free agents like Seymour and Hampton to one year deals.

Just thinking out loud!As I understand, if Smith is cut or traded $3.5m dead money counts against 2013 cap.

thunderkyss
03-23-2013, 09:58 PM
As I understand, if Smith is cut or traded $3.5m dead money counts against 2013 cap.

If he plays for us this year, he'll count more. I want to say $9M, but it might be $6M. Either way, we have more cap room without him. However, I'm not too confident in our depth; Crick & Jamison. Wade may be, & that's all that matters.

drs23
03-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Did Crick play the nose at all last year? He's in the mid 280's. we're ****ed if those two are getting the majority of the snaps at NT. Teams are going to kill us up the middle. Our ILB's are going to be a mash unit AGAIN. Cushing will get wore down so fast he'll be worthless by the time the playoffs come around.

Unless Patterson falls we better go NT in the first. Of course that could change if we sign someone via FA.

My money says that ain't gonna happen. E.F. Hutton said WR and we all know what happens when he speaks. :winky:

Corrosion
03-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Crick did play inside some last year but that was mostly on passing downs not as a true nose.

Ive heard talk of this froma couple sources .... not that it matters but I believe it makes economic sense if nothing else. NT/DT tends to be an expensive position .... If this is their plan , I still believe they have to bring in one more guy on the DL as Crick was the primary backup for Watt and Ninja ... They need someone capable for that role.

Tim Jamison also saw time at both DT and DE .... and played pretty damn well until being injured.

I think Mitchell , Crick and Jamison can handle the NT spot and back up the DE position .... but that leaves them one injury away from a crisis at two positions.

76Texan
03-24-2013, 12:05 AM
As I understand, if Smith is cut or traded $3.5m dead money counts against 2013 cap.

If he plays for us this year, he'll count more. I want to say $9M, but it might be $6M. Either way, we have more cap room without him. However, I'm not too confident in our depth; Crick & Jamison. Wade may be, & that's all that matters.

If Antonio plays for the Texans this year, the Texans will have to fork out $6M in cash to pay him.
They will incur a $9.5M cap charge.

So if they cut him, they have $6M to spend.

However, there's no true 34DE on the FA market that is anywhere his caliber.
There will be several of them next year though.

Like Lucky said; if you cut him, you only create a different hole with nothing to fill.

mussop
03-24-2013, 02:01 AM
If Antonio plays for the Texans this year, the Texans will have to fork out $6M in cash to pay him.
They will incur a $9.5M cap charge.

So if they cut him, they have $6M to spend.

However, there's no true 34DE on the FA market that is anywhere his caliber.
There will be several of them next year though.

Like Lucky said; if you cut him, you only create a different hole with nothing to fill.

My question was, what can we get for him in a trader?

Corrosion
03-24-2013, 02:56 AM
My question was, what can we get for him in a trader?

I believe you still incur some cap penalty if you trade him .... I dont think you have an option to cut Ninja , restructuring is a much better option.

rolyat93
03-24-2013, 02:59 AM
I believe you still incur some cap penalty if you trade him .... I dont think you have an option to cut Ninja , restructuring is a much better option.

One of the few guys who'll make an impact every week.

I love that guy, hope he's a Texan for a few more years.

The Pencil Neck
03-24-2013, 03:38 AM
I don't want to lose Antonio Smith. He's a hoss. I don't want to cut him, I don't want to trade him. I wouldn't mind restructuring his contract, however.

Wolf6151
03-24-2013, 04:05 AM
I don't want to lose Antonio Smith. He's a hoss. I don't want to cut him, I don't want to trade him. I wouldn't mind restructuring his contract, however.

My sentiments exactly. I'd like for the Texans to restructure and extend Antonio another 2 yrs. but in such a way as to make him a lower salary cap hit. He's very important to our D-line.

ObsiWan
03-24-2013, 05:30 AM

My sentiments exactly. I'd like for the Texans to restructure and extend Antonio another 2 yrs. but in such a way as to make him a lower salary cap hit. He's very important to our D-line.

Make that three of us. Not a fan of trading/cutting a quality player for the unknown. Restructuring, however, probably will make sense.

aussie_texan
03-24-2013, 06:17 AM
hopefully we restructured aj and we will restructure a.smith.
then maybe sign larry grant to ILB. im pretty sure his still available

thunderkyss
03-24-2013, 10:03 AM

Yes, there will be a $3.5M cap hit, but you still save $6M you can use to get other players. If Rick Smith/Greg Olsen can work their magic & get Urlacher & Winston for that $6M, would it be worth it if we also picked up a 2nd or a high Third in the trade?

I think Antonio finally started earning his keep in the last two years. Back to back career years for him. Excellent production from a 3-4 DE, you couldn't ask for more, unless you've got Jj Watt playing like a 4-3 DE in a 3-4.

But this is about tomorrow, the 2013 season. I have no doubt the Ninja will put out his best effort. If Jj continues to do what he do, Antonio will probably have another very productive season. I'm not advocating that we cut him. A restructure would make more sense; it frees up some money & you'll have him locked up for the next 3-4 years, where I think our window is.

But just saying, a 2nd (or high 3rd), plus two veteran players for Antonio, it's tempting.

Honoring Earl 34
03-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Yes, there will be a $3.5M cap hit, but you still save $6M you can use to get other players. If Rick Smith/Greg Olsen can work their magic & get Urlacher & Winston for that $6M, would it be worth it if we also picked up a 2nd or a high Third in the trade?

I think Antonio finally started earning his keep in the last two years. Back to back career years for him. Excellent production from a 3-4 DE, you couldn't ask for more, unless you've got Jj Watt playing like a 4-3 DE in a 3-4.

But this is about tomorrow, the 2013 season. I have no doubt the Ninja will put out his best effort. If Jj continues to do what he do, Antonio will probably have another very productive season. I'm not advocating that we cut him. A restructure would make more sense; it frees up some money & you'll have him locked up for the next 3-4 years, where I think our window is.

But just saying, a 2nd (or high 3rd), plus two veteran players for Antonio, it's tempting.

My solution is to keep Antonio and maybe drafting this guy who can play both the NG and DE . The question is when do you draft him . I would go with a WR in the 1st and wouldn't trade up for him either , so that's about a 15% chance he'll be there .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97502&draftyear=2013&genpos=DT

Lucky
03-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I have no doubt the Ninja will put out his best effort. If Jj continues to do what he do, Antonio will probably have another very productive season. I'm not advocating that we cut him. A restructure would make more sense; it frees up some money & you'll have him locked up for the next 3-4 years, where I think our window is.
I just want to point out the difference between a restructured contract and an extension. A restructure is taking an existing contract, and manuevering the $$$ around to alter the cap hit in that year. That's what they did with Smith in 2011 when the Texans created cap space to sign Joseph and Manning. An extension is replacing an existing contract with a longer term deal, while still being liable for whatever bonus allocation remains on the existing contract.

Smith is in the final year of his contract. So the only restructuring that could take place would be if he were to accept a salary reduction for his current $6 million. Fat chance. An extension would allow the Texans to reduce Smith's $6 million salary, and replace it with a larger signing bonus that could be amortized over the length of the new contract.

What would it take for Smith to sign an extension in 2013? He's currently looking at $6 million in salary. A bonus of $7.5 million in a 3 year deal, would give Antonio a $2.44 million raise ($7.5 million bonus + $940k vet minimum - ($6 million salary)). It would reduce the 2013 cap hit on Smith by a little more than $2.5 million. Which might be enough space for the Texans to fill a couple holes with low end vet contracts.

Extending Smith would be a tough call, because it would make him a tough cut in 2014. The question is, what are the Texans willing to do to win in 2013? Really, I don't see a lot of alternatives.

Goodwrench3
03-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Re-sign Dobbins

steelbtexan
03-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Dwayne Bowe (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4184/Dwayne-Bowe) (Signed five-year, $56M deal with KC)
Mike Wallace (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5329/Mike-Wallace) (Signed five-year, $60M deal with MIA)
Greg Jennings (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3652/Greg-Jennings) (Signed five-year, $47.5M deal with MIN)
Wes Welker (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/2964/Wes-Welker) (Signed two-year, $12M deal with DEN)
Danny Amendola (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4991/Danny-Amendola) (Signed five-year, $27.7M deal with NE)
Brian Hartline (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5191/Brian-Hartline) (Signed five-year, $30.775M deal with MIA)
Laurent Robinson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4241/laurent-robinson)
Donnie Avery (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4724/Donnie-Avery) (Signed three-year, $8.55M deal with KC)
Jerome Simpson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4859/Jerome-Simpson) (Signed one-year, $2.1M deal with MIN)
Kevin Ogletree (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5164/Kevin-Ogletree) (Signed two-year, $2.6M deal with TB)
Randy Moss (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1655/Randy-Moss)
Austin Collie (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5176/austin-collie)
Donald Jones (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6046/donald-jones) (Signed three-year, $4.155M deal with NE)
Josh Cribbs (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3469/josh-cribbs)
Domenik Hixon
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3945/Domenik-Hixon)Ramses Barden
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5207/Ramses-Barden)Jabar Gaffney
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1716/Jabar-Gaffney)Brandon Stokley
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1501/Brandon-Stokley)Brandon Gibson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5291/Brandon-Gibson) (Signed three-year, $9.755M deal with MIA)
Steve Breaston (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4261/steve-breaston)
Titus Young (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6533/titus-young)
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/19/Plaxico-Burress)Mohamed Massaquoi (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5233/Mohamed-Massaquoi)
David Nelson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6048/david-nelson)
Kevin Walter (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2523/kevin-walter)
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1132/Deion-Branch)Mark Clayton
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3150/Mark-Clayton)Donte' Stallworth
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1043/Donte'-Stallworth)Brandon Tate
(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5140/Brandon-Tate)

Off of that list, Give me, one of these guys should be available for the vet min

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie

TXAg14
03-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Off of that list, Give me, one of these guys should be available for the vet min

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie

I like Collie, but the dude is Mr. Concussion. I think he gets an automatic concussion just from putting his helmet on every game.

steelbtexan
03-24-2013, 12:21 PM

This would be my draft plan.

The Texans needs should fall in line with BPA. The draft is deep at WR,NT,S,RT, ILB/OLB

steelbtexan
03-24-2013, 12:24 PM
I like Collie, but the dude is Mr. Concussion. I think he gets an automatic concussion just from putting his helmet on every game.

Yep,

But if Hunter were drafted and you got 10-12 games out of Collie, plus drafted another WR late the WR corps would be solidified.

AJ/Hunter with Collie in the slot would give the Texans the best WR corps they'had since their inception.

Nawzer
03-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Counting on Crick and Mitchell to play the NT the whole season?! Yikes! Good luck stopping the run up the middle. Texans absolutely need to find someone better than these two either through the FA or draft.

The Pencil Neck
03-24-2013, 12:53 PM
I just want to point out the difference between a restructured contract and an extension. A restructure is taking an existing contract, and manuevering the $$$ around to alter the cap hit in that year. That's what they did with Smith in 2011 when the Texans created cap space to sign Joseph and Manning. An extension is replacing an existing contract with a longer term deal, while still being liable for whatever bonus allocation remains on the existing contract.

Smith is in the final year of his contract. So the only restructuring that could take place would be if he were to accept a salary reduction for his current $6 million. Fat chance. An extension would allow the Texans to reduce Smith's $6 million salary, and replace it with a larger signing bonus that could be amortized over the length of the new contract.

What would it take for Smith to sign an extension in 2013? He's currently looking at $6 million in salary. A bonus of $7.5 million in a 3 year deal, would give Antonio a $2.44 million raise ($7.5 million bonus + $940k vet minimum - ($6 million salary)). It would reduce the 2013 cap hit on Smith by a little more than $2.5 million. Which might be enough space for the Texans to fill a couple holes with low end vet contracts.

Extending Smith would be a tough call, because it would make him a tough cut in 2014. The question is, what are the Texans willing to do to win in 2013? Really, I don't see a lot of alternatives.

Good point. Then I wouldn't mind extending him. I don't see him being cut in 2014.

bobbeaux
03-24-2013, 03:00 PM

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie

collie is definitely worth a look . . . teams will shy away because of the concussions, but the way the game is played today, they can't hit him anymore anyway . . . he's cleared to play and wants to play . . . could be a steal even on a 1 yr deal.

i think hixon is solid . . . i'd also give bey, edwards, robinson, breaston and barden a tryout.

bobbeaux
03-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Good point. Then I wouldn't mind extending him. I don't see him being cut in 2014.

yep . . . can't see a cut at all.

bobbeaux
03-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Counting on Crick and Mitchell to play the NT the whole season?! Yikes! Good luck stopping the run up the middle. Texans absolutely need to find someone better than these two either through the FA or draft.

i believe they can find a solid rotation player to platoon with mitchell w/ 1 of our 3rd's . . . crick should stay in the de rotation.

76Texan
03-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Hixon has a track record of injury: 2 ACL, a hamstring, a high- ankle sprain, at least one concussion that I know of.

Big question mark for me.

Add that to the fact the Giants kept drafting receivers (3rd and 2nd rd the last two years), I think it's best to look for another option.

bobbeaux
03-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Hixon has a track record of injury: 2 ACL, a hamstring, a high- ankle sprain, at least one concussion that I know of.

Big question mark for me.

Add that to the fact the Giants kept drafting receivers (3rd and 2nd rd the last two years), I think it's best to look for another option.

but we are looking for cheap . . . reports are he's healthy now and played well in relief of hicks when manning wasn't sucking up the place.

76Texan
03-24-2013, 03:21 PM
but we are looking for cheap . . . reports are he's healthy now and played well in relief of hicks when manning wasn't sucking up the place.

It can get expensive really quick soon as he gets into the tub.
He can't help if he can't be on the field.

bobbeaux
03-24-2013, 04:06 PM
It can get expensive really quick soon as he gets into the tub.
He can't help if he can't be on the field.

oh i hear ya . . . i can only read reports on players too . . . i'd have a full fledged tryout going on w/ physicals . . . ;)

any fa wr we get now is likely a short term answer unless we get lucky . . . that's due to cap and availability.

mussop
03-25-2013, 03:37 AM
i believe they can find a solid rotation player to platoon with mitchell w/ 1 of our 3rd's . . . crick should stay in the de rotation.

Like who?

bobbeaux
03-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Like who?

hard to say exactly since what wade is looking for in a NT and what the rest of the world looks for in a NT are different . . . plus, hard to say who will drop, but guys like akeem spence and jordan hill should be available.

mussop
03-25-2013, 01:46 PM
hard to say exactly since what wade is looking for in a NT and what the rest of the world looks for in a NT are different . . . plus, hard to say who will drop, but guys like akeem spence and jordan hill should be available.

Man I hope like hell Wade isn't thinking like that. We have got to strengthen the middle of our defense and just bringing Cushing back and adding trash around him isn't going to do that.

b0ng
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
I've seen the Texans roll into the draft with absolute needs for starters in positions on both offense and defense, hell I think Mercilus was the first top pick of the Texans NOT to start primarily in his position, in awhile. I think if they draft a wideout in the first they are going to expect major contributions from him and that player will force himself into the lineup at some point early in the season.

If you read the news clippings (Texans won't rule out drafting QB (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texans-wont-rule-drafting-qb-195307068--nfl.html), This Evan Silva Tweet (https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/314857219118202880)) you'd think the Texans are drafting offense fairly high this year. So defense requires a little more speculation than the offense.

ASidd_1990
03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
With Heyward-Bey possibly signing with the Colts, I would like for the Texans to target Julian Edelman.

Titans Sux 72
03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Man I hope like hell Wade isn't thinking like that. We have got to strengthen the middle of our defense and just bringing Cushing back and adding trash around him isn't going to do that.

Could you imagine a hoss in front of Cush giving him MORE freedom and protection. OMG!!!!

76Texan
03-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Could you imagine a hoss in front of Cush giving him MORE freedom and protection. OMG!!!!

T J Barnes 6th round grade.
Needs to play under 350, but sometimes balloons himself into the 370s.
Do you want him?

Blake
03-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I would like to see them sign a bigger vet WR like Braylon Edwards.

I would like to see them get Andre Smith at RT for a good price. Even though he is a moron, he could improve our running game. And getting him 2nd hand is like buying a used car that has already lost its newness value.

Alan Branch to help solidify Nose Tackle.

In the draft they need to come away with a starter ILB like Minter, and a young stud WR who can work his way into the lineup like a Justin Hunter.

Nawzer
03-25-2013, 02:30 PM

That's what I have been saying. It's recipe for disaster imo. Cushing will likely re-injure himself.

Blake
03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
If you read the news clippings (Texans won't rule out drafting QB (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texans-wont-rule-drafting-qb-195307068--nfl.html), This Evan Silva Tweet (https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/314857219118202880)) you'd think the Texans are drafting offense fairly high this year. So defense requires a little more speculation than the offense.

Ive been talking to friends about the Texans taking EJ Manuel in round 1. Would love to see that. Or even trade our extra 3rd and first next year to get him in the top of the 2nd or something.

76Texan
03-25-2013, 02:35 PM
That's what I have been saying. It's recipe for disaster imo. Cushing will likely re-injure himself.

But Cushing didn't get injured because of it. Just saying.

76Texan
03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Ive been talking to friends about the Texans taking EJ Manuel in round 1. Would love to see that. Or even trade our extra 3rd and first next year to get him in the top of the 2nd or something.

No comment. :)

thunderkyss
03-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Jj Watt
Antonio Smith
Tim Jamison
Jared Crick
Shaun Cody
Eric Mitchell.

That's already too many people on the roster for a 3-4 defense. Get rid of one of them so we can add another safety/LB/TE/WR/DB...... someone with speed who can play special teams.

drs23
03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Jj Watt
Antonio Smith
Tim Jamison
Jared Crick
Shaun Cody
Eric Mitchell.

That's already too many people on the roster for a 3-4 defense. Get rid of one of them so we can add another safety/LB/TE/WR/DB...... someone with speed who can play special teams.

Strike Cody, he's not on the roster and when it all shakes out Jamison might not be either though he has been a fairly solid filler.

Texan_Bill
03-25-2013, 08:38 PM
What's the next move for the Texans?

Minor tweaks to the current roster and "the Draft", obviously.

As far as any major trades or FA acquisitions? They're more than likely not gonna happen. Or the chances are slim and none. BTW, Slim packed his bags and left town.

mussop
03-26-2013, 07:09 AM
But Cushing didn't get injured because of it. Just saying.

No but if teams continue to pound the middle (our week spot) like they did last year how long do you think he will be able take it? That's exactly why the other ILB's were a mash unit after the halfway point last season.

68% of all runs against our D were between the guards. That was the most in the NFL. And that was with Cody who is better against the run than Mitchell not here anymore.

srrono
03-27-2013, 03:24 AM
With such little if not no interest from other teams I still think Eric Winston will end up back here 1 or 2 year deal after June 1st.

Insideop
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
With such little if not no interest from other teams I still think Eric Winston will end up back here 1 or 2 year deal after June 1st.

Thought I heard he was in for a visit with the fins. Can anyone verify this or know what happened?

HOU-TEX
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Thought I heard he was in for a visit with the fins. Can anyone verify this or know what happened?

I've read that he's asking too much money. Which means the odds of him coming back here are slim. Unless he drastically lowers his price

ASidd_1990
03-27-2013, 04:48 PM
John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL)
Texans will sign more veteran FAs who they can get with affordable deals. I expect an OT, ILB, WR and perhaps a NT.

I don't think this will happen, but if NT Casey Hampton would do a deal close 2 minimum 2 stay home, I think Texans should check him out.

Hampton would have to be in good shape and agree to be part of the rotation with Earl Mitchell. He's worth considering with his resume.

badboy
03-27-2013, 05:58 PM
John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL)

I'd like him better if he got more than 2 combine tackles per game.

76Texan
03-27-2013, 06:04 PM

McClain can tackle any combination of food you throw at him, LOL.

(I'm just having fun.). :)

Texn4life
03-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Hampton's impact isn't about tackles. It never was. He demands double teams to free up the linebackers. If he can do that to let Cushing and our other LB do their thing while still getting 2 tackles a game then I'd say he's worth it.

mussop
03-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Hampton's impact isn't about tackles. It never was. He demands double teams to free up the linebackers. If he can do that to let Cushing and our other LB do their thing while still getting 2 tackles a game then I'd say he's worth it.

Well worth it. Ask ray Lewis how much difference a guy like that makes.

Vinny
03-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Daryl Smith is someone I like and since he was injured last season and is over 30 & he isn't getting a ton of interest (it seems). He's another player at the end of his career but he is a hell of a player when healthy. One of the best linebackers in the NFL a few years ago, can play all over the field. He isn't a pass rusher but he is very instinctive and covers a ton of ground. He missed almost all of last season with a groin injury but I think he played the last couple of games for them. He'd be another short term fix, but another proven veteran who could really help Cushing inside.

ObsiWan
03-28-2013, 06:45 AM
I'm hoping they're looking for a decent OT. I doubt that Caveman comes back, he seems to be looking for another sizeable payday and we can't afford that. Ryan Harris looks like the best fit for the scheme and the remaining budget.

El Tejano
03-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Daryl Smith is someone I like and since he was injured last season and is over 30 & he isn't getting a ton of interest (it seems). He's another player at the end of his career but he is a hell of a player when healthy. One of the best linebackers in the NFL a few years ago, can play all over the field. He isn't a pass rusher but he is very instinctive and covers a ton of ground. He missed almost all of last season with a groin injury but I think he played the last couple of games for them. He'd be another short term fix, but another proven veteran who could really help Cushing inside.

You talking about the ILB from Jville right? If that's who I think you are talking about, yes I would have to agree with you. He also has been somewhat of a thorn in the Texans side when we play Jville, seems to have decent to very good games against us.

Corrosion
03-28-2013, 08:57 AM

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie

Man .... Im not impressed with the remaining FA's at the WR spot .... most of them did next to nothing in terms of production and those that did were system guy's.

I think you might be better off just drafting two in the early rounds and save your $$$ for depth at both ILB abd OLB when the June cuts roll around.

b0ng
03-28-2013, 09:00 AM
I've read that he's asking too much money. Which means the odds of him coming back here are slim. Unless he drastically lowers his price

Somebody on a fins board said that Winston was asking for $6m-$8m a year. He's out of his mind. Andre Smith (Bengals RT) is also an UFA, and he wants in upwards of $9m a year as well.

Ktexan68
03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Obviously we can't afford Winston if he's deluded enough to be asking for $6 Mill but I do know that if we stay with the status quo, we won't be very good on O. :toropalm:

badboy
03-28-2013, 09:50 AM
we won a championship & that was with trying to figure out who our right guard is. That should not be issue.

Corrosion
03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Obviously we can't afford Winston if he's deluded enough to be asking for $6 Mill but I do know that if we stay with the status quo, we won't be very good on O. :toropalm:

The Texans probably wont be able to afford him even if he comes down off that high horse to a reasonable price ... We'll likely be looking at Vet Min or close to it guy's from here on.

I get the idea that the team didnt want to push money off into future years caps ... Not reworking AJ or Ninja's deals to free up a few $$$ .... as they have some big decisions to make on Cushing , Watt and KJax. coming up. Pushing money to future years doesnt help them with that ....

Draft picks and bargin FA's .... thats what I expect.

michaelm
03-28-2013, 10:58 AM

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie

Man .... Im not impressed with the remaining FA's at the WR spot .... most of them did next to nothing in terms of production and those that did were system guy's.

I think you might be better off just drafting two in the early rounds and save your $$$ for depth at both ILB abd OLB when the June cuts roll around.

By no means am I a fan of Heyward-bey, but from that list, I might choose him just for his ability to take the top off a defense.
He might not be all that good, but his speed has to be respected, and that alone has some value, both opening up the passing game underneath, and keeping safeties honest so they can't cheat on the running game.

Corrosion
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
By no means am I a fan of Heyward-bey, but from that list, I might choose him just for his ability to take the top off a defense.
He might not be all that good, but his speed has to be respected, and that alone has some value, both opening up the passing game underneath, and keeping safeties honest so they can't cheat on the running game.

Call me crazy but of the list of FA's .... I think I might go with Steve Breaston or Braylon Edwards at the right price. (the fact that I even spoke the name Braylon Edwards says a lot about how piss poor the FA WR's are).

Allstar
03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
If there is ever a time to dig through the bargain bin, it looks like this is the year.

Corrosion
03-28-2013, 01:40 PM
If there is ever a time to dig through the bargain bin, it looks like this is the year.

There will be a lot of guy's playing for peanuts .... there just isnt a lot of cap space to go around.

ObsiWan
03-28-2013, 02:18 PM
I suspect the next serious "shopping flurry" won't happen until after the draft is over and OTAs start. And maybe not until the June 1st cuts happen. We might see onesies and twosies between now and then but nothing more.
:twocents:

Corrosion
03-28-2013, 02:21 PM
I suspect the next serious "shopping flurry" won't happen until after the draft is over and OTAs start. And maybe not until the June 1st cuts happen. We might see onesies and twosies between now and then but nothing more.

Non-guaranteed deals. :boogereater:

ASidd_1990
03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Has DHB signed with anybody yet? Last I heard he was visiting the Colts.

MistaRed
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Has DHB signed with anybody yet? Last I heard he was visiting the Colts.

He visited the Lions this week too. Still unsigned.

otisbean
03-28-2013, 05:00 PM
The Raiders are the other team I follow, trust me when I say we want no part of DHB. He's just not a NFL caliber WR in any way.

b0ng
03-28-2013, 06:09 PM
The Raiders are the other team I follow, trust me when I say we want no part of DHB. He's just not a NFL caliber WR in any way.

He was slowly progressing last year, but I can't fault anybody for not playing that well while on the catastrophe known as the Raiders.

Insideop
03-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Somebody on a fins board said that Winston was asking for $6m-$8m a year. He's out of his mind. Andre Smith (Bengals RT) is also an UFA, and he wants in upwards of $9m a year as well.

He might be asking but nobody is biting. Just saw this over at NFL.com about "Cavemans" hunt for a new team. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154826/article/eric-winston-still-drawing-san-diego-chargers-interest

Apparently the Bolts, Fins, and Eagles still have the door open for him, but I think he's going to have to come way down on his asking price, and they are probably just waiting him out. I guess he's trying to play the same game Asomugha was playing a couple of years ago; to play one team against another, and drive up the price. If he doesn't come down in price or the teams don't go up he may be waiting by the phone when the season starts. It's like a game of :chicken: to see who breaks 1st!

Norg
03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I cant believe we signed these 3 F/a agents TBO whats or cap look like now for last year maybe they wont resign cushing depending on how he comes back from injury ...???

Uncle Rico
03-28-2013, 08:43 PM
If the Texans offered Winston 1 MILL/1 year I bet he would bite.

Texn4life
03-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I know he's on the downside of his career, but would anybody be opposed to James Harrison coming here on a 1 year deal for cheap? If we signed him, and Gooden from San Fran I think we'd be good on the defensive side of the ball for this year excluding NT.

WolverineFan
03-28-2013, 10:14 PM
I know he's on the downside of his career, but would anybody be opposed to James Harrison coming here on a 1 year deal for cheap? If we signed him, and Gooden from San Fran I think we'd be good on the defensive side of the ball for this year excluding NT.

He won't go anywhere for cheap, that's why nobody is considering signing him at the moment. Pittsburgh cut him loose because he wasn't willing to restructure to help the team. Obviously he's not obligated to do that, but with injuries and declining play he would consider it. He flat out told them no way so they cut him loose. He's stated he's not signing a minimum deal as a FA.

Texn4life
03-28-2013, 10:25 PM
He won't go anywhere for cheap, that's why nobody is considering signing him at the moment. Pittsburgh cut him loose because he wasn't willing to restructure to help the team. Obviously he's not obligated to do that, but with injuries and declining play he would consider it. He flat out told them no way so they cut him loose. He's stated he's not signing a minimum deal as a FA.

I knew about him not wanting to re-structure with the Steelers, but a lot of guys won't do it with their current team. They feel like its a slap in the face. I guess for him there's no harm in waiting it out.

ASidd_1990
03-29-2013, 01:36 AM

Well it would help if he had a legit QB throwing to him.

DX-TEX
03-29-2013, 01:39 AM

He is not "Texans worthy" whatever the hell that actually means.

He wont get that here either then

Texn4life
03-29-2013, 02:09 AM
He is not "Texans worthy" whatever the hell that actually means

Never been in trouble with the law.....

otisbean
03-29-2013, 07:52 AM
He was slowly progressing last year, but I can't fault anybody for not playing that well while on the catastrophe known as the Raiders.

I'm not sure how many Raider games you've watched over the years, and quite frankly I'm not sure why you'd want to watch any as I've been a Raider fan since the early 80s and its hard for me to watch them now, but if DHB has shown any improvement it's from complete bust to meh. He just doesn't catch the ball well, he has a serious case of stone hands

otisbean
03-29-2013, 07:53 AM

When the ball hits you in the hands and you don't catch it, that's not on the QB. That happens quite a bit with DHB

Dutchrudder
03-29-2013, 11:48 AM
If the Texans offered Winston 1 MILL/1 year I bet he would bite.

I bet he would bite Rick Smith for insulting him like that. He is a caveman after all...

powda
03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Wr Anthony Armstrong.

Texn4life
03-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Wr Anthony Armstrong.

I think I'd pass on him. His career started off promising, but he's kind of fizzled out for whatever reason.

powda
03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I think I'd pass on him. His career started off promising, but he's kind of fizzled out for whatever reason.

I hear ya. He's a cheap vet though. It probably wont be him but it will be something in that mold. People clamoring for something sexier with more name recognition are going to be dissapointed.

Texn4life
03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
I hear ya. He's a cheap vet though. It probably wont be him but it will be something in that mold. People clamoring for something sexier with more name recognition are going to be dissapointed.

Yeah, we're definitely going to have to go that route. I still say Ramses Barden is the guy I would gamble on. And yes it is a gamble, but if we hit on this one then it'll be a big hit.

76Texan
03-29-2013, 12:32 PM
I bet he would bite Rick Smith for insulting him like that. He is a caveman after all...

Well, the last time Winston complained that the Texans didn't even talk to him.

thunderkyss
03-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Well, the last time Winston complained that the Texans didn't even talk to him.

When I sold cars for a living, it was my job to talk to people "just looking" the idea was to get them talking about owning the vehicle, & the cost of buying it. One technique, was to throw numbers out there & see what you get. Try to find out where their head is. If they're way under.... wanting to take a $5,000 premium from sticker, we let them go, find another person "just looking"

(& I'm just throwing $5,000 out there. Sometimes that's doable, sometimes it's not)

But if they are in the ballpark, my job is then to get them to make the decision to buy that day.

Now, I know $40,000 is pittence to RickSmith & EricWinston, but the principle is the same. I'd like to think he, or someone directed by him threw some numbers at Winston, or his agent & he thought they were too far apart to even bother with a "deal"

Eric may not have known he was in "negotiation" but a person like RickSmith should live & die by the salesman mantra, "Always be closing."

The Pencil Neck
03-29-2013, 07:51 PM
When I sold cars for a living, it was my job to talk to people "just looking" the idea was to get them talking about owning the vehicle, & the cost of buying it. One technique, was to throw numbers out there & see what you get. Try to find out where their head is. If they're way under.... wanting to take a $5,000 premium from sticker, we let them go, find another person "just looking"

(& I'm just throwing $5,000 out there. Sometimes that's doable, sometimes it's not)

But if they are in the ballpark, my job is then to get them to make the decision to buy that day.

Now, I know $40,000 is pittence to RickSmith & EricWinston, but the principle is the same. I'd like to think he, or someone directed by him threw some numbers at Winston, or his agent & he thought they were too far apart to even bother with a "deal"

Eric may not have known he was in "negotiation" but a person like RickSmith should live & die by the salesman mantra, "Always be closing."

MSR.

Cool story and a reasonable idea. That's probably what happened.

bobbeaux
04-06-2013, 03:43 PM

it appears this is what is happening . . . there's still at least depth value out there, but not a lot of money available . . . looks like there will be lots of players playing at the vet minimum . . . ready to see how the draft fills in some of the blanks . . . ;)

TejasTom
04-10-2013, 10:33 AM
...Eric may not have known he was in "negotiation" but a person like RickSmith should live & die by the salesman mantra, "Always be closing."

Anyone know if sports agents are bound by legal obligation to present all offers, similar to real estate agents?

ArlingtonTexan
04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Anyone know if sports agents are bound by legal obligation to present all offers, similar to real estate agents?

I am 98% sure that they are not obligated to present any much less all offers. If somebody can contradict this, I am willing to listen.

The Pencil Neck
04-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Well, maybe FORMAL offers... but I think a lot of what they do is just shooting the breeze and getting a feel for where the other party's head is at.

76Texan
04-10-2013, 11:17 AM
If an offer is not formal, it can't be legal.
If it's not legal, I don't see how an agent can be held liable for anything.

badboy
04-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Sorry just had to bump this thread...the next move for your Texans is to trade #27 for a second and third. please, please, please. It would be worth watching the entire first round and delaying my gratification another day.

revan
04-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Sorry just had to bump this thread...the next move for your Texans is to trade #27 for a second and third. please, please, please. It would be worth watching the entire first round and delaying my gratification another day.

If Minter and Ogletree are gone in the first then yes.

tru80texan
04-23-2013, 07:53 PM
If Minter and Ogletree are gone in the first then yes.

I don't think Ogletree is an option. He is a knucklehead & has proven that on multiple occasions. We all know that's not a Texan type player. I honestly believe he is a suspension waiting to happen & could be the next R. McClain, which is a complete waste of talent.

Lurvinator11
04-24-2013, 01:32 AM

They would, but if Leon Sandcastle falls to us, you gotta take him!!
:kitten:

ArlingtonTexan
04-24-2013, 01:47 AM

Actually, it is to draft somebody we have talked about, but is not really anyone's target player and/or position.

revan
04-24-2013, 02:58 AM
I don't think Ogletree is an option. He is a knucklehead & has proven that on multiple occasions. We all know that's not a Texan type player. I honestly believe he is a suspension waiting to happen & could be the next R. McClain, which is a complete waste of talent.

No way is he even in the same level as Rolando McClain, but I do see where you are coming from. In my mock draft I have Minter in the first and Robert Woods in the second.

:kitten:

Bro, that Sandcastle joke is getting so annoying, especially after seeing him interview "himself" as Sandcastle on NFL network. Jeez if Deion's ego wasn't big enough before it is now.

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Bro, that Sandcastle joke is getting so annoying, especially after seeing him interview "himself" as Sandcastle on NFL network. Jeez if Deion's ego wasn't big enough before it is now.

We had some comments about that a couple of weeks ago. I hate it that they're wasting time with this un-funny crap when they could be covering something like... oh... maybe... the NFL?

Lurvinator11
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Man, I was just joking. Don't have to get so upset about it. Plus, why waste your time watching NFL network? Bunch of clowns on there anyway. Just hang out on the mock draft sub forum for all the draft news you want. Much better than NFL network.

badboy
04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
:kitten:You know I am a speed guy but not sure if Sandcastle has much upside. My sources tell me he is more athlete than player and not sure if he has durability. He looks older than he is I think and may not be a good selection.

Lurvinator11
04-24-2013, 05:46 PM
You know I am a speed guy but not sure if Sandcastle has much upside. My sources tell me he is more athlete than player and not sure if he has durability. He looks older than he is I think and may not be a good selection.

I'll give you that. I also think he might wear a wig....that's just me though. :kitten:

ATXtexanfan
04-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Man that would be dope. Fingers crossed

revan
04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Man, I was just joking. Don't have to get so upset about it. Plus, why waste your time watching NFL network? Bunch of clowns on there anyway. Just hang out on the mock draft sub forum for all the draft news you want. Much better than NFL network.

I'm sorry if I came across as telling you your joke sucked but I was referring to the entire Deion loves himself dead joke. I got NFL network since they started to show more games but I have to pay extra :( so that's why I kinda feel the need to watch it more since I am paying extra for it.

Lurvinator11
04-24-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry if I came across as telling you your joke sucked but I was referring to the entire Deion loves himself dead joke. I got NFL network since they started to show more games but I have to pay extra :( so that's why I kinda feel the need to watch it more since I am paying extra for it.

Understandable. You just came across as if Deion stole your car or something. Haha.

No problem. Welcome to the board.