PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

TexansCountry
03-15-2013, 12:30 PM
If we play it safe I think it takes us longer to get to where we want to be I like this gamble I have a feeling we overpay but not in a ridiculous sense.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 12:30 PM
If you say so. I don't claim to be a capologist. Is that number updated after yesterday's contract?

Brady's cap hit will average about $14.1M per yr going forward, and if he gets injured, the Pats eat ALL of it as every penny is guaranteed.

GP
03-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Haha well GP accoring to BOP we will be signing Winston, Reed and pollard haha. He says we would all be surprised at what he does. LOL although i would love to sign reed and get Winston back.

Let's say we have Reed....

....And then one more player gets introduced during the same presser.

Which player would you guys prefer it to be, of only one can be signed (and your reason why?):

Pollard?

or Winston?

Would make a good poll, actually. Something to kill time Ray Lewis style.

Rey
If reed comes here, strangely I'd feel a little better about schaub. Reed has played against him quite a few times. He also just won a sb with Flacco. I can't imagine that he'd come here knowing the qb sucked.

Doesnt mean I'll have complete faith in schaub, but it's nice to be reminded he's not completely useless I guess.

TexansCountry
Brady's cap hit will average about $14.1M per yr going forward, and if he gets injured, the Pats eat ALL of it as every penny is guaranteed.

I'm glad I can't stand the patriots lol

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 12:34 PM

*pulls out calculator*

$27M divided by 3 ... carry the one ...

I hate cap calculations.

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/20000/6000/200/26212/26212.strip.gif

infantrycak
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
If you say so. I don't claim to be a capologist. Is that number updated after yesterday's contract?

Yesterday? - the deal was done back in February. It also isn't close to a $27 mil deal. Those are the base salaries for the three extension years. He also received a $30 mil bonus. Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145460/article/details-emerge-on-tom-bradys-contract-extension-with-patriots) But yes, the number is updated to the new contract.

Yankee_In_TX
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Yep. But what I'm curious about is if you have that QB that you've locked up 10% or more of your salary cap, how many more players can you afford to assign that high a cap number? I think two is even too high, but having four players chewing up 40% of your cap? That's a recipe for failure, IMO.

As a fan, I have gotten used to dead cap issues. When they signed those guys to those deals I was happy. Now that cap issues based on current players, had I known then what I've learned about the cap I would not have been as excited.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 12:36 PM
*pulls out calculator*

$27M divided by 3 ... carry the one ...

I hate cap calculations.

They deferred money, as far as the book is concerned.
Don't bother pull out the calculator.

TexCanada
03-15-2013, 12:36 PM
An overpay isn't a big deal as long as the contract is short, or structured so that he can be cut with no cap penalty after 2 years. Watt, Cushing, and KJax are the future of this defense, so as long as Reed's contract doesn't get in the way of signing those players to extensions then I'm not overly worried about the specific dollar amount.

This could be a move that helps us get better in the short-term, while allowing us the financial flexibility to sign the guys of the future. I'm not completely convinced of Reed's abilities, but I'd like to see us get this done.

ChampionTexan
03-15-2013, 12:37 PM
If you say so. I don't claim to be a capologist.

No, but you claimed to know something about Brady's cap number (even though you didn't).

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 12:38 PM
They deferred money, as far as the book is concerned.
Don't bother pull out the calculator.

Sorry, I was joking around. The addition of the comic will add the necessary context. :)

eriadoc
No, but you claimed to know something about Brady's cap number (even though you didn't).

If the phrase "at first blush" means that to you, then I guess we have nothing left to argue.

GP
I just know that I done watching the wild card game, the divisional game and half of the CC game, and Reed looked pretty good.
He did miss a tackle, but Pollard was supposed to cut off the outside, and he didn't.

I would say I take Reed over Quin.

Obviously, you'd like to look at the whole body of work; however, with veteran players like Reed, all that matters (to me at least) is money time... What with all the fishy things going in the NFL.

I'd rather have a one-two year deal for less than $6M per.
I might go for 3 if he insists, but not much money up front, and some incentives in the contract (like AJ).

You've got to take a risk sometimes, just don't over-extend yourself, than I would be cool with it.

I'm going to say $6.5 million-per for two years with some form of escalator, likr maybe $500k, contingent upon us making the playoffs.

Has to be a meet in the middle salary (if he wanted $7 and we wanted $6, being speculative) with a bonus $500k-per-yr for us making the playoffs and him actively playing those two years' of playoffs.

That shows him respect but gives us a $500k "out" if this thing implodes. Incentives should be reasonable, but lofty...able to be achieved.

Thoughts?

ChampionTexan
03-15-2013, 12:42 PM
If the phrase "at first blush" means that to you, then I guess we have nothing left to argue.

Yeah, because Brady's cap number was what you were using that in reference to.

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Ok they have to be cooking up something big. Why else wait this long, its not like we have much money to negotiate with anyways haha

eriadoc
Yeah, because Brady's cap number was what you were using that in reference to.

Since Brady's contract was central to my point, yeah. Just ... never mind.

Nawzer
Wow! This is still going on??? Are the Texans this slow or are they getting played like a $5 hooker?

TexansCountry
I'm going to say $6.5 million-per for two years with some form of escalator, likr maybe $500k, contingent upon us making the playoffs.

Has to be a meet in the middle salary (if he wanted $7 and we wanted $6, being speculative) with a bonus $500k-per-yr for us making the playoffs and him actively playing those two years' of playoffs.

That shows him respect but gives us a $500k "out" if this thing implodes. Incentives should be reasonable, but lofty...able to be achieved.

Thoughts?

I'm OK with that but they must draft his replacement so by the time his deal is up the replacement is ready to play at a high level

bigbrewster2000
03-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Some guy you just answered.

And in 11 years Greg Koch made second team All-Pro ONCE, not the Hall of Fame. Big diff.

He is in the packer hall of fame fwiw. I think that's what he was talking about

76Texan
03-15-2013, 12:44 PM

Thoughts?
I think the Texans are known to be reasonable.
I mean, if AJ is good with the incentive clause, why shouldn't Reed?

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't think we should over pay for him...

It would be nice to see what the board thinks is overpaying. We may not have a hard number, because I think most of us don't have a good feel for what players are worth & the intricacies of the cap.

However, I think at this point in his career, he's worth an easy $2M, but I'd be willing to go as high as $6M (that would have been the cost to franchise GQ, & he signed for $5.7M). That's overpaying, but I don't think it's unreasonable.

I think they may have felt GQ was as good as he was going to get possibly.

I don't think so. I think they are sick for having to let Quin go. They had high expectations for GQ when they drafted him & Wade recognized when he got here. GQ is going to be the kind of player we need & they know it.

But I think they also believe this team is better with Reed & Manning than it is with Quin (right now) & Manning. It would cost way too much to cut Manning right now, cost them nothing to let Quin go. It sucks & it's the product of some assumptions regarding the cap that turned out wrong for them, but if Dutch is right, we'll be right as rain soon & hopefully overpaying $4M/yr for Reed (if they get him for $6M) won't hurt that.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Sorry, I was joking around. The addition of the comic will add the necessary context. :)

Don't worry. I understand your concern; it's legit to have such a concern.

BTW, both Spotrac and OverTheCap track salaries and cap space; they have the same figure reported.

ChampionTexan
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Since Brady's contract was central to my point, yeah. Just ... never mind.

So the words "at first blush" justify the fact that the assertion that was central to your point was inaccurate?

drs23
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Well, there ARE some 35-year olds I'd take the time to woo...
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODg3MzYwMjE4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU5NzAzNw@@._ V1._SY209_CR15,0,140,209_.jpg

Referral Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODg3MzYwMjE4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU5NzAzNw@@._ V1._SY209_CR15,0,140,209_.jpg" on this server.
Reference #24.467608d1.1363369793.1dd22ed8 :foottap:

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Guy I spoke to whose at Reliant said it's a done deal.

Ed Reed is finally a Houston Texan!

:hurrah:

GP
03-15-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm OK with that but they must draft his replacement so by the time his deal is up the replacement is ready to play at a high level

100% absolutely agree with your thoughts.

I think this means we can try for a future S in round 1 or 2, depending on how the picks go down leading up to our own picks. Or, try for one in next year's draft (which would be unwise, IMO). We'd need a future S...especially since Manning's contract will be up in two years from now.

I think the Texans are known to be reasonable.
I mean, if AJ is good with the incentive clause, why shouldn't Reed?

Ed Reed marches to the beat of his drummer, or at least that's the book on him by someone who stated that in this thread. THAT could be a problem convincing a guy like that to take a contract laced with any type of non-guarantee. Ed might be wanting to play some more, but he won't settle for anything less than what he or his advisors say he's worth.

That's the risky part. IMO.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Are you sure now?
And will they be going to Morton or Ruth whatever to celebrate? LOl!

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't think so. I think they are sick for having to let Quin go. They had high expectations for GQ when they drafted him & Wade recognized when he got here. GQ is going to be the kind of player we need & they know it.

But I think they also believe this team is better with Reed & Manning than it is with Quin (right now) & Manning. It would cost way too much to cut Manning right now, cost them nothing to let Quin go. It sucks & it's the product of some assumptions regarding the cap that turned out wrong for them, but if Dutch is right, we'll be right as rain soon & hopefully overpaying $4M/yr for Reed (if they get him for $6M) won't hurt that.

I disagree with you here. If the team wanted to re-sign him then they would have made every effort. Add in Andre's comments last night that he put the bug in the team's ear after he talked to Reed after the Super Bowl, then I truly believe the Texans felt like they could get better with Reed instead of Quin. They said all the right things about Quin, but chose to pursue ER when free agency started instead of GQ.

steelbtexan
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%
Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457

Game changing plays Reed>Quin and I wanted to re-sign Quin.

Games missed the last 2 yrs Reed/Quin = 0. This is the most important stat to me. Both Quin and Reed were very good players last yr and will probably be very good players next yr.

Reed sure didn't look too old/slow in the playoffs/SB last yr, or the yr before, or the yr before etc...

In fact I seem to remember Reed stealing Yates lunch $$$ in the playoffs 2 yrs ago. Didn't look slow then?

IDEXAN
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Some guy you just answered.

And in 11 years Greg Koch made second team All-Pro ONCE, not the Hall of Fame. Big diff.
http://packershalloffame.com/hall-of-famers/
He's not in Canton, but he's a member of the Packers HOF.
Now for the second time, what the hell is a ObsiWan ?

bigbrewster2000
03-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Don't really believe you.

I think it might be done but don't believe in your supposed source

b0ng
03-15-2013, 12:58 PM
There seem to be a lot of legit people on Twitter saying its done now (within the last 10 minutes).

So that probably means he's actually on a plane to New England.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Don't really believe you.

I think it might be done but don't believe in your supposed source

Whatever, guy just told me it's a done deal. Don't believe me then.

GP
03-15-2013, 12:59 PM
http://packershalloffame.com/hall-of-famers/
He's not in Canton, but he's a member of the Packers HOF.
Now for the second time, what the hell is a ObsiWan ?

I think the Wan part is a reference to Jedi names in Star Wars.

The Obsi part, I have no clue. I have always wondered too.

Inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!

TheRealJoker
03-15-2013, 12:59 PM
I think an instinctive ballhawk like Reed thrives on our defense even if past his prime. Our defense is too talented. Especially with KJ's progression under Wade.

GP
03-15-2013, 01:01 PM

So, your source either works for the Texans in some capacity or he's a media member connected to the whole scene there.

You said he's at Reliant, he told you it's a done deal, which narrows your source's identity down to someone who has pretty fresh, quick information. And the only way is for that source to be there for more than just a coincidental visit to Reliant.

Right? I will take you ignoring and failing to post anything in response to my questions as it being a "Yes" to my questions.

:bravo: , GP, :bravo:

76Texan
03-15-2013, 01:02 PM
There seem to be a lot of legit people on Twitter saying its done now (within the last 10 minutes).

So that probably means he's actually on a plane to New England.

LOL!

GP
03-15-2013, 01:05 PM
He probably took home his leftover steak and that often reserved skin part of the baked potato that still has some sour cream and bacon bits on it.

"Thanks for the wine & dine, Houston! You guys know how to treat people!"

Ha ha. That would be insanely epic. The U of Miami grads strikes again, keeping it classy as usual. LOL.

I really do think there's a chance he's been hosing us all along. Duane Brown and Chris Myers tweets about him having dinner last night felt awkward and a bit sarcastic to me. Ya' know? Could be nothing, but ya' never know.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM

I won't. No offense, but you really haven't submitted a post on this board to give you any sort of credibility.

If you're right, then it'll be your 1st step

JCTexan
03-15-2013, 01:10 PM
He probably took home his leftover steak and that often reserved skin part of the baked potato that still has some sour cream and bacon bits on it.

"Thanks for the wine & dine, Houston! You guys know how to treat people!"

Ha ha. That would be insanely epic. The U of Miami grads strikes again, keeping it classy as usual. LOL.

I really do think there's a chance he's been hosing us all along. Duane Brown and Chris Myers tweets about him having dinner last night felt awkward and a bit sarcastic to me. Ya' know? Could be nothing, but ya' never know.

I think you're reading too much into those tweets. People were tweeting & re-tweeting that they were having dinner last night. Brown was asked why he wasn't attending the dinner, at which he responded with a "I didn't attend the U".

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 01:12 PM
John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL)
Johnson said he called Reed to congratulate him on Super Bowl. "Ed said, 'Get me to Houston,'" Johnson said.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 01:12 PM
AJ basically said just now it's a done deal and said "he's the missing link".

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 01:13 PM

I think you're right. He's just sticking around for another free meal. He's unemployed now, got his hand out & all that.

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:15 PM

AJ did not say its a done deal. He said he hopes its done.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 01:16 PM

No, he did not.

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 01:17 PM

I think a good WR lining up out there with AJ is the missing link IMO but they are friends so not surprised he said it.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
AJ did say this, however.

James Palmer‏@JPalmerCSN
#TexansTalk. Andre also said he has talked with Chad Johnson about coming to #texans

:wadepalm:

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Andre Johnson said today he thinks the Texans "will get a deal done" with Ed Reed. "it's all positive," he said.

Johnson: "I'm on the edge of my seat like you guys are." He met media after appearance at Health Museum.

Johnson had dinner with Reed Thursday night before parting at Pub Fiction, popular midtown club.

Johnson said Texans have never pursued FA like Reed. He said Reed can be "missing link."

Johnson said he called Reed to congratulate him on Super Bowl. "Ed said, 'Get me to Houston,'" Johnson said.

Asked bout complaints Reed too old, Johnson said, "They said that bout me. Just watch him play."

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 01:20 PM
So AJ an Ed Reed did go to Pub Fiction last night. I remember someone earlier saying Reed announced he was a Texans their last night.

djohn2oo8
Really tired of all these quotes. Let me know when something is signed. Starting to feel like this is not going to happen.

htownfan32
I don't think that constitutes a "done deal." I think it means that Andre *really* wants Ed Reed on board and that the organization is either playing up to Andre's wishes or they're serious about inking Reed to a deal.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
James Palmer (@JPalmerCSN)
#texanstalk. Andre Johnson said Ed Reed wouldn't be here this long if he didn't want to be here with the #texans
Adam Wexler (@awexler)
MT @davidnunoabc13: Andre Johnson says Reed called him after SB & said get me to Houston. Also would restructure, but Texans haven't asked

GP
03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
I think you're right. He's just sticking around for another free meal. He's unemployed now, got his hand out & all that.

Nah. Not like that. And you know that. So at least put the :kitten smilie on your post, cheese ball.

It's still not unfathomable to think the guy was pulling a pretty good stunt to get his name out there. Mission accomplished. Free publicity that looks genuine, and it sets a price in a public way.

He might not even want to play UNLESS he gets every dime he wants/needs, otherwise he quits and walks off forever. I actually think he is playing the whole "Texans is where you go to get your last payday" card. IMO.

He knows we're desperate via Quin leaving us. So, it's possible I'm right.

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 01:22 PM

So we're getting Matt Turk back?! Woohoo! :highfive:

b0ng
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
New stuff about Johnson and his role in getting Reed here (my home Internet is out so phone posting)

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Its gonna happen. Just chill, grab some beer to celebrate a little tonight, and wait for someone else to knock on our door to join the party.

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:25 PM
If it's done, why don't they just announce it???

htownfan32
03-15-2013, 01:25 PM
James Palmer (@JPalmerCSN)

Adam Wexler (@awexler)

Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy if they sign Reed, but no one appointed Andre GM. Anyone think this could just be the FO trying to really placate Andre?

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 01:26 PM
AJ did say this, however.

Say what you want but AJ helps out other WRs around him. I think Chad Johnson and AJ could actually make quite a good duo believe it out not. Put CJ in the slot AJ as #1 and Lestar Jean as the #3.

I know a lot of people arent very high on LJ but i still love his potential, i think if he got more play time he could really become a threat at WR

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM

I don't think its done, but they probably have the framework of a deal in place. Obviously nothing is done until ink hits paper.

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy if they sign Reed, but no one appointed Andre GM. Anyone think this could just be the FO trying to really placate Andre?

I doubt it...... Andre said that he just passed word that Reed wanted to come here. You think thats the first time either Andre or any other player has done that? I don't.

EllisUnit
Could be more than just the reed deal going down TBH.

They could be restructuring a few contracts right now as we speak to announce multiple deals.

Nawzer

They're getting Daryl Morey to look at it just to make sure they're not getting screwed over. Because if there's one guy who knows something about screwing other teams over it's Fat Elvis.

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Anyone think this could just be the FO trying to really placate Andre?
No. Texans have played this out publicly -- they wouldn't do that if they weren't in earnest about landing Reed. If Reed walks, it's because he thinks he won't get along with the coaching staff or he's holding out for the last dollar or he signs with a more obvious Super Bowl contender.

I'd like to think it was the latter, if...

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
They were supposedly close to a deal last night. It should be done by now.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Say what you want but AJ helps out other WRs around him. I think Chad Johnson and AJ could actually make quite a good duo believe it out not. Put CJ in the slot AJ as #1 and Lestar Jean as the #3.

I know a lot of people arent very high on LJ but i still love his potential, i think if he got more play time he could really become a threat at WR

No way. If the dude couldn't learn NEs playbook there's no way he can learn the Texans. Ain't happening

Dutchrudder
03-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

http://www.zuguide.com/image/Daniel-von-Bargen-Super-Troopers.2.jpg

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 01:39 PM

HAHA it wont happen regardless. I think AJ #1, LJ KM #2,3 is what the FO is thinking IMO

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 01:40 PM

Supposedly he's hosting a party here tonight at Grooves. I'm sure that would shock the crap out of everybody.

rolyat93
03-15-2013, 01:41 PM
So AJ an Ed Reed did go to Pub Fiction last night. I remember someone earlier saying Reed announced he was a Texans their last night.

That was me brah, feel free to rep.:fingergun:

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 01:41 PM
No way. If the dude couldn't learn NEs playbook there's no way he can learn the Texans. Ain't happening

I doubt that was the issue. I bet it was Bill treating him the way Marvin Lewis should have. I'm sure it hurt Bill to do it, they spent money (not a lot) on the guy & he didn't play but a handful of snaps. If his head was on straight, he would have played. No doubt in my mind.

Then we see him in Miami & he really hadn't changed that much.

I love Chad Johnson, but we don't need a circus. I mean look what happened with the letterman jackets, imagine what gold H.o.F. jackets would do.

HoustonRaven
03-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Strange this is taking so long.

He has an agent now. It's not like he's doing this on his own.

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:43 PM
NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
Our folks at @nflnetwork tell us Ed Reed left the building in Houston w/o a deal. Nothing expected today.

TexanSam
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
HAHA it wont happen regardless. I think AJ #1, LJ KM #2,3 is what the FO is thinking IMO

Ugh. I would be very nervous going into next season as Kevin Martin or LeStar Jean as the #2 WR.

Rey
I wonder if reed will be down at the improv tonight

ThaJokaa
What if Ed Reed's deal is done but they arent going to announce it till Monday? But myabe, Ed Reed gets drunk enough at a club tonight and announces it on top of the bar saying he's with the Texans now? I need to stop drinking while studying lol

EllisUnit
Strange this is taking so long.

He has an agent now. It's not like he's doing this on his own.

I think they are waiting and will make more than one announcment IMO

HoustonRaven
03-15-2013, 01:45 PM
@NFL_ATL: "Our folks at @nflnetwork tell us Ed Reed left the building in Houston w/o a deal. Nothing expected today."

rolyat93
NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
Our folks at @nflnetwork tell us Ed Reed left the building in Houston w/o a deal. Nothing expected today.

**** me.:wadepalm:

djohn2oo8
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
One source predicted that Ed Reed would shop the deal around, but that he eventually gets something done with Houston. We'll see

HoustonRaven
No deal if he left.

Looks like he pulled a Jason Garret on y'all.

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:46 PM
****!!! I ****ing told you!

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
figures good ole houston always fun to help guys get more money else where :kitten:

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
16s Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ed Reed is leaving the Texans' building, per source. Interest remains heavy between both sides. Source says it's all positive

False Start
03-15-2013, 01:48 PM
I just have a bad feeling the Texans are getting played, hope I'm wrong though.

HoustonRaven
16s Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ed Reed is leaving the Texans' building, per source. Interest remains heavy between both sides. Source says it's all positive

Yeah ....

Wanna bet that source is Reeds agent?

Playoffs
@NFL_ATL: "Our folks at @nflnetwork tell us Ed Reed left the building in Houston w/o a deal. Nothing expected today."

Fugg it. Enough is enough, honey. Wined & dined you, bought you presents and flew you in on my jet ..... it's time to put out or get out. :foottap:

Onward & upward.

bckey
I think his asking price is too high. Texans don't want or need to pay it. I'm good with it if he moves on. Bring in Michael Huff for a visit.

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:49 PM
1m Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ed Reed has other responsibilities to attend to as well as his free agency trip to Houston, source says

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:49 PM
I think his asking price is too high. Texans don't want or need to pay it. I'm good with it if he moves on. Bring in Michael Huff for a visit.

Michael Huff is ****ing garbage

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 01:50 PM

yeah foster likes huff :lol:

bckey
03-15-2013, 01:52 PM
He has always played on a garbage defense.

TexanSam
03-15-2013, 01:53 PM
The Texans are always very quiet about any potential free agents, so for them to tweet actively about Ed Reed meeting with them is very unusual. If he doesn't sign, they're going to look like idiots.

As an aside, does anyone have that familiar sinking feeling with this team? That same feeling we had when we struggled against Jacksonville and Detroit? It's two straight offseasons where we can't sign our own guys. Now, none of the players we've lost have been major blows to our team, but the fact that we're in the predicament we're in after just two winning seasons is making me nervous. It's alright if the Steelers or Ravens have to make tough cuts, because they have a proven track record of success. The Texans don't.

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Nothing done today with Reed. He left Texans offices with one of his reps. Agent checking round NFL.

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 01:55 PM
The Texans are always very quiet about any potential free agents, so for them to tweet actively about Ed Reed meeting with them is very unusual. If he doesn't sign, they're going to look like idiots.

As an aside, does anyone have that familiar sinking feeling with this team? That same feeling we had when we struggled against Jacksonville and Detroit? It's two straight offseasons where we can't sign our own guys. Now, none of the players we've lost have been major blows to our team, but the fact that we're in the predicament we're in after just two winning seasons is making me nervous. It's alright if the Steelers or Ravens have to make tough cuts, because they have a proven track record of success. The Texans don't.

noodle arm, foster, brown we signed major ones before we could lose them didnt have that issue this year besides quin

Rey
Welp....

False Start
Orlando Pace version 2.0....:kitten:

RipTraxx

#1 AJ #2 Devier Posery #3/slot Keyshawn....i think

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
figures good ole houston always fun to help guys get more money else where :kitten:

yep

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
#1 AJ #2 Devier Posery #3/slot Keyshawn....i think

posey will prob not be the same after injury. i dont see it

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 01:59 PM
That's the one point I think people are mistaken on. Ozzie Newsome has been a good GM the last several years, but he's had monetary flexibility from his QB position. This is the first time he's had to tie up a huge amount in one player, and the cuts are following. Going forward, we'll see just how good he really is. I think people are giving him too much credit for past success that doesn't necessarily translate going forward. We'll see.

The Ravens have been up against the cap every year since 2003, they typically carry, after FA and signing the draft picks, about $2-3million in cap space in case of injuries- this 2-3 mill is for signing street FA's during TC or the season.

Go back and look at all the FA that left the Ravens: besides Priest Holmes, not too many have gone on to glory with another team.

Kruger is a 2down player- stupid deal for the Browns. He only got sacks when Suggs was on the field getting double teamed.

Ellerbe was not 7million a year LBer- Oz signed him for $2,000 offf the street as a FA. Nice plaer but not worth what he got.

Bolden was a trade and before the post-season, he hadn't really panned out in a lot of Ravens fans eyes. Would rathr have kept him but $6million is a lot ofr a slot guy.

Pollard was released because of Harbaugh and contention between the two. smple as that.

RipTraxx
03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
posey will prob not be the same after injury. i dont see it

His achilles right?

htowntexans1985
03-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Nothing done today with Reed. He left Texans offices with one of his reps. Agent checking round NFL.

http://blog.wordtothewise.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/godzilla-facepalm.png

handswarmer
or why else would he leave offices at Reiant without signing it?

Answer: Agent shopping deal.

djohn2oo8
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
While Ed Reed has left the Texans without a deal the 2 sides will continue talking and hope to get it done next week.

Ed Reed left the Texans offices because of a previous engagement in another city. He and Texans will continue to negotiate.

BIG TORO
03-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Egg egg egg and more egg! Can't believe the couldn't sign him.

TheIronDuke
03-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Can we sign Rhodes instead please? Hopefully we learned by being jacked around by Aso and signing Joseph instead that it can sometimes be better going with a different option.

handswarmer
Ed Reed leaves Texans visit without a deal

Posted by Josh Alper on March 15, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Safety Ed Reed enjoyed the “southern hospitality” extended by the Texans during his visit to Houston, but there’s no deal in place between the two sides.

The NFL Network reports that Reed has wrapped up his meeting with the team without signing a contract and that there is “nothing expected” to happen on the contract front on Friday. That doesn’t mean there won’t eventually be a deal, however.

Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that “heavy” interest remains on both sides and that Reed has “other responsibilities” outside of visiting with the team that need attention. Wilson spoke to a source who believes Reed will shop around any offer he received from the Texans while predicting that he will ultimately wind up playing in Houston in 2013.

That sounds promising for Houston, but last year’s will he or won’t he return saga illustrates that Reed is willing to take his time making any decision about his future.

Ryan
Ugh. I would be very nervous going into next season as Kevin Martin or LeStar Jean as the #2 WR.

Yeah Kevin Martin may have some bad blood for Houston after getting traded to OKC.

HoustonRaven
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
While Ed Reed has left the Texans without a deal the 2 sides will continue talking and hope to get it done next week.

Ed Reed left the Texans offices because of a previous engagement in another city. He and Texans will continue to negotiate.

Spin.

If a player leaves a city with no deal, it most likely wont happen.

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Talks between the Texans and Ed Reed are expected to continue over the weekend as he returns to Atlanta. No deal is imminent

TexanSam
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
noodle arm, foster, brown we signed major ones before we could lose them didnt have that issue this year besides quin

I understand that we have very little flexibility due to previous signings. It's still worrisome though. If we have an extended period of success, if we make the playoffs 3 out of the next 4 years with an AFC championship appearance or two, then having these issues wouldn't bug me as much. But two years of success and we're up against the cap...it just makes me nervous.

Say Watt
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Way to go Texans!

This is shaping up to be an awesome season...

So glad I'm not wasting my money on season tickets...

TEXANS84
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Spin.

If a player leaves a city with no deal, it most likely wont happen.

Agreed. If it was that good, why waste time to come back and sign?

It's more than likely not going to happen now. :wadepalm:

TheIronDuke
03-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Agreed. If it was that good, why waste time to come back and sign?

It's more than likely not going to happen now. :wadepalm:

Hopefully not and we can sign Kerry Rhodes!

EllisUnit
Way to go Texans!

This is shaping up to be an awesome season...

So glad I'm not wasting my money on season tickets...

uve waisted a lot of money then if thats how you look at it

tru80texan
Can we sign Rhodes instead please? Hopefully we learned by being jacked around by Aso and signing Joseph instead that it can sometimes be better going with a different option.

I agree. It might be time to look elsewhere before we get stuck w/ leftovers. There are too many holes being created to assume they can all be successfully filled w/ this years draft imo.

TexCanada
03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't mind this if it means we are playing hardball with him to a certain extent. We have other needs to fill still, so it would be nice to keep Reed's cap hit around 5 mil.

Say Watt
03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
I understand that we have very little flexibility due to previous signings. It's still worrisome though. If we have an extended period of success, if we make the playoffs 3 out of the next 4 years with an AFC championship appearance or two, then having these issues wouldn't bug me as much. But two years of success and we're up against the cap...it just makes me nervous.

It is extremely depressing just how poorly run this organization is. They go off and basically get themselves out of cap hell that good ole Casserley brought us, and then get ourselves right back in it.

1 of 3 major franchises in this city is being run properly, yet 60% of the city can't even watch that f'ing team!!! Geez...

IDEXAN
03-15-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't get all of the fuss over Ed Reed ? If this had been the former Steeler now 'Phins receeiver Mike Wallace, OK I could see a fuss, but for some washed up, over the hill guy, why ? He is a legendary NFL safety, but the reality is he peaked many years ago ?

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
It is extremely depressing just how poorly run this organization is. They go off and basically get themselves out of cap hell that good ole Casserley brought us, and then get ourselves right back in it.

1 of 3 major franchises in this city is being run properly, yet 60% of the city can't even watch that f'ing team!!! Geez...

if u draft good and they turn into top notch guys then what do you expect. you have to pay so they'll stay

Say Watt
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't get all of the fuss over Ed Reed ? If this had been the former Steeler now 'Phins receeiver Mike Wallace, OK I could see a fuss, but for some washed up, over the hill guy, why ? He is a legendary NFL safety, but the reality is he peaked many years ago ?

I'm fussy over this because we lost a damn good safety in Glover Quinn, an ok LB in Connor Barwin (although the money he got certainly was not worth it), and a good H-Back/TE in James Casey.

What would Ed Reed bring the Texans? Swagger. This team collapsed like no other team I have ever seen before and are sorely in need of a player with swagger. And we let that player walk out the door.

Get ready to watch the same old Texans once again this season.

TexCanada
03-15-2013, 02:13 PM

I'm fussy over this because we lost a damn good safety in Glover Quinn, an ok LB in Connor Barwin (although the money he got certainly was not worth it), and a good H-Back/TE in James Casey.

What would Ed Reed bring the Texans? Swagger. This team collapsed like no other team I have ever seen before and are sorely in need of a player with swagger. And we let that player walk out the door.

So which one is it, you want us to manage our cap properly or sign Ed Reed at all costs?

False Start
03-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Like I said before, this is looking like Nnamdi Asomugha all over again. Lets hope if so, the Texans can pull a rabbit out of the hat again... if not I think they are in deep sh!t.

Say Watt
03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
if u draft good and they turn into top notch guys then what do you expect. you have to pay so they'll stay

And guess what? We are letting the talent we have drafted walk out the damn door!

****! We still don't even have a freaking #2 WR.

This Ed Reed deal finally made me snap. This season is setting up for failure. We found ourselves on the verge of success. Yet this team is doing what it always does; it finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Nawzer
03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Good job FO by letting the guy you clearly want walk out the door without signing a contract. I guess it's Shilo Keo time!

tru80texan
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM

I think the fuss is over filling a need w/ at least a decent player as opposed to continue having another gaping hole & assuming it can be filled by a rookie. That could just be me though...

Say Watt
So which one is it, you want us to manage our cap properly or sign Ed Reed at all costs?

Both. Not signing Matt Schaub to a ridiculous deal before the season began might have been a decent start.

Say Watt
I think the fuss is over filling a need w/ at least a decent player as opposed to continue having another gaping hole & assuming it can be filled by a rookie. That could just be me though...

Yep!

JamesBill
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
I hope they at least pulled the deal off the table. If not, they really have lost a bit of respect.

TheIronDuke
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Like I said before, this is looking like Nnamdi Asomugha all over again. Lets hope if so, the Texans can pull a rabbit out of the hat again... if not I think they are in deep sh!t.

And look what we got instead of Aso, we got Joseph AND Manning for what we'd have paid him. Maybe we've got another safety (hopefully Rhodes) we're already talking to and another player and we'll be just fine. Rhodes would do so much more for this team than Ed Reed.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Talks between the Texans and Ed Reed are expected to continue over the weekend as he returns to Atlanta. No deal is imminent

At least we know that the Falcons don't need a safety as both Decoup and Moore are tied up long term.

SCOTTexans
Maybe he left to go get the rest of his things.... :cry2:

PapaL
Shaping up to be a big day huh? Guess we have 10 hours to know what you know...nothing.

If only you knew what I do you'd jump for joy right now. I'll just say that I hope you like Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard and Eric Winston. There's going to be a trifecta signing going down tomorrow. I think the Texans are positioning themselves nicely well before the draft. Enjoy the evening guys. Let's call it a Friday of champions here in Houston!

False Start
03-15-2013, 02:18 PM
And look what we got instead of Aso, we got Joseph AND Manning for what we'd have paid him. Maybe we've got another safety (hopefully Rhodes) we're already talking to and another player and we'll be just fine. Rhodes would do so much more for this team than Ed Reed.

Thats what I'm hoping man.

PapaL
03-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Odd that the one poorly run organization has been in playoffs and the others have not. Maybe you should try comparing the Texans to the Comets next.

The1ApplePie
03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
No Reed?

Makes me glad all the good young safties didn't get signed yesterday.

Oh...

bckey
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
So what if the Texans didn't sign Reed. Things will work out. They can draft someone or sign someone else cheaper. Barwin, Casey and Walters can all be replaced. None of them were dominant at their position last year. The world will still turn. I am happy the Texans didn't overspend. That is good business.

steelbtexan
03-15-2013, 02:21 PM

Yep, and that's good enough for most loyal Texans fans.

Rick Smith = genius

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 02:21 PM

i can recall one worse collapse still credited to the city of houston....

76Texan
03-15-2013, 02:22 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/03/ed-reed-has-left-reliant-stadium/

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 02:22 PM
No Reed?

Makes me glad all the good young safties didn't get signed yesterday.

Oh...

Like we had the money for any of them ???

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 02:23 PM
It's two straight offseasons where we can't sign our own guys.

It depends.

If we can't "sign our own guys" because we didn't want to overpay, I'm fine with that. I valued Quin at $3-4M he got paid $5.7M. You've got to draw the line somewhere & if the Texans drew their line at $4.5M.... so be it. If Quin started at $8M (with the franchise tag being $6.8M) They probably didn't see any point in making an official offer.

Mario... again, a non-starter. Briesel, probably should have been a $1-2M guy. Why pay him $3M or $4M?

Now cutting Winston, that's a different story. Maybe they paid him more money thinking he would step up as a leader or player & that just didn't happen. They realized they were in a position where they couldn't pay him what they "hoped" he would earn.

JjWatt & Cushing. I don't know where it is, but there has to be a line somewhere. If Jj Watt is looking for $60M guaranteed I hope the Texans say no. Someone will pay him that if he continues to play at this level, but I hope it's not the Texans. If Cushing wants to get into the $8-10M club, I hope the Texans say no.

But they better have some damn good coaching staffs in place churning out solid football players or we'll be in a position where we may not have a choice & have to overpay our own guys.

JamesBill
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Odd that the one poorly run organization has been in playoffs and the others have not. Maybe you should try comparing the Texans to the Comets next.

LOL The Rockets have won championships and in the last 11 years have only had one losing season.

mariowillshine15
03-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Albert Breer tweeted Reed left for a prior engagement and contract discussions are ongoing. So who knows.

The1ApplePie
Like we had the money for any of them ???

Landry and Phillips didn't sign very big or very long contracts. Health concers mostly. Not sure about Delmas

djohn2oo8
Albert Breer on NFL network said Reed left for an appearance for his foundation but his agents are still here so they could possibly still get it done. Either way, the Texans better draft a safety

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 02:30 PM
LOL! We might be Jake'd

Tania Ganguli‏@taniaganguli
RT @mikegarafolo: Ravens getting involved in talks with Reed. Much as they've lost guys, they won't let him walk w/o a fight.

paycheck71
03-15-2013, 02:31 PM
It depends.

If we can't "sign our own guys" because we didn't want to overpay, I'm fine with that. I valued Quin at $3-4M he got paid $5.7M. You've got to draw the line somewhere & if the Texans drew their line at $4.5M.... so be it. If Quin started at $8M (with the franchise tag being $6.8M) They probably didn't see any point in making an official offer.

Mario... again, a non-starter. Briesel, probably should have been a $1-2M guy. Why pay him $3M or $4M?

Now cutting Winston, that's a different story. Maybe they paid him more money thinking he would step up as a leader or player & that just didn't happen. They realized they were in a position where they couldn't pay him what they "hoped" he would earn.

JjWatt & Cushing. I don't know where it is, but there has to be a line somewhere. If Jj Watt is looking for $60M guaranteed I hope the Texans say no. Someone will pay him that if he continues to play at this level, but I hope it's not the Texans. If Cushing wants to get into the $8-10M club, I hope the Texans say no.

But they better have some damn good coaching staffs in place churning out solid football players or we'll be in a position where we may not have a choice & have to overpay our own guys.

Not to mention that they DID sign the players they valued - Schaub, Brown, Foster, Myers.

Too many people are complaining about not resigning EVERYBODY AND having cap problems. You can't have it both ways. You're going to have to let some people go if you want to stay under the cap.

bckey
03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
LOL! We might be Jake'd

More like Pace'd.

chenjy9
03-15-2013, 02:34 PM

The Rockets have won 2 championships, been in the playoffs multiple times, managed winning seasons when everyone pegged them to bomb out completely, have a foundation superstar, and a ton of cap room and valuable assets. They are posed very nicely going into the future.

While I love the Texans as much as anyone here, how many winning seasons have we had? How many Super Bowls have we gone to, much less won? What point are you honestly trying to make here? The Texans gave done a lot better since we hired Phillips, but we have not PROVEN a damn thing yet.

tru80texan
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
It depends.

I thought Quin got $4.7M? I'm pretty sure he did, which from everything I have read moat feel it was a fair deal & not an overpay. I do agree ovetpaying is not the answer, but neither is putting all your eggs in 1 basket, Ed Reed, as all the other quality players are being signed. I think there are too many holes to fill w/ 1 draft class & a QUALITY vet or 2 will need to be signed or there will some obvious weaknesses that will be exposed ala the right side of the o-lineman in 2012. I'm not happy that it seems Smith got left at the alter again just as Asomugha did him, but I'm hoping he is licking his wounds as he's on the phone. Unfortunately, I believe if Reed doesn't sign, which I don't think he will for the record, I think we could possibly get stuck w/ another Cowturds castoff in Sensabaugh. Ain't nothing like filling a need w/ an ex-cowturd player & realizing it was a mistake. What can you do...

76Texan
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Albert Breer on NFL network said Reed left for an appearance for his foundation but his agents are still here so they could possibly still get it done. Either way, the Texans better draft a safety

https://mobile.twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/312635936213172224

Ravensinsider reported that it's all positive.

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
The Ravens have been up against the cap every year since 2003 ...

The question wasn't whether they were up against the cap; it's how much they get for that cap money. When you tie up a huge portion in one position, that just leaves less to go around elsewhere. Because of the premium put on QB, the number tied up in that position is naturally higher than what you'd tie up in someone like Ray Lewis. The Ravens haven't had to spend $100M+ on a QB before. Now that they are, it'll be interesting to see what that will impact on the rest of the field.

GP
Well, this is over.

A player doesn't spend the night, then leave without a deal.

You can get a deal done in less than 24 hours, especially when you spent the previous day and night being hand-jobbed by Texans' execs.

Ed's going to sign with Baltimore, just like Bodden used us to squeeze out more money from the Patriots. I had a cautionary feeling this might happen. Had been joking about it off and on, but frankly you don't leave without a deal in today's NFL unless you're easing out and moving onto the next team.

All in all, if he is really gone...it might be for the best. It was for the best that Bodden didn't sign with us. So...yeah, sometimes the best gifts are unanswered prayers. At least that's what Garth Brooks says.

Say Watt
i can recall one worse collapse still credited to the city of houston....

Touche!

thunderkyss
If that's true, that talks are still on going.... ok. fine.

If not, they need to fly that jet out to pick up Woodson, wine him & dine him, Have him hang out with Watt, OD, & Graham (yankees). Have the sonofbum drop a few timely tweets.

Get us some leverage.

GP
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM
If that's true, that talks are still on going.... ok. fine.

If not, they need to fly that jet out to pick up Woodson, wine him & dine him, Have him hang out with Watt, OD, & Graham (yankees). Have the sonofbum drop a few timely tweets.

Get us some leverage.

Agreed.

Move on, like we did from Aso two years ago, and go find the next man who wants the job.

Texans, as a people, are very welcoming...but we also know when to walk away and head a different direction. Am hoping this gets done today OR tomorrow by noon with a 3 pm presser at latest. If not, this deal is off and the only reason his advisors remained was to try some last-second negotiations to close a better deal for Ed. Him leaving means there was a window, IMO, and it is about to close.

This might be for the best. Whatever will be, will be. Etc. It's just a game, folks.

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Ravens free agent safety Ed Reed has left the Houston Texans' offices without agreeing to terms as he completed his two-day visit, according to league sources.

Negotiations will continue over the weekend, per a source, but no deal is regarded as imminent.

One source said that Reed's agent, David Dunn, is shopping the Texans' offer around the NFL. It was expected to be a two-year contract similar to newly-minted Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker's two-year, $12 million pact. At this point, though, nothing's done or close to done.

Reed has other "obligations" to attend to this weekend, according to a source and is expected to return to his offseason home in Atlanta.

The Texans have made an impressive, aggressive push to try to land the former NFL Defensive Player of the Year, but it hasn't resulted in a fast deal to this point.

Whether Reed goes on other visits has yet to materialize in what remains a fluid situation.

awilson@baltsun.com

@TwentyER: Houston is a good city great time with everyone!

Reed also posted this clip from Carwash!(1976) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074281/): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbTEusaf2nU&

...with an interesting line in it: Money talks, and bullsh!t walks.

Say Watt
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Not to mention that they DID sign the players they valued - Schaub, Brown, Foster, Myers.

Too many people are complaining about not resigning EVERYBODY AND having cap problems. You can't have it both ways. You're going to have to let some people go if you want to stay under the cap.

And the bold is my problem.

How about you let the guy coming off a debilitating foot injury play some games first and prove to you he can still be the same player before you pay him like a top 10 QB...

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 02:43 PM

How about you let the guy coming off a debilitating foot injury play some games first and prove to you he can still be the same player before you pay him like a top 10 QB...

i wont call a marksman a bad shot if he hits 3 out of 4 targets.

GP
03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
OK, fine.

We should have said here's the amount we'll spend IF he signs by noon on Friday.

If he signs anytime after noon on Friday, the amount reduces to THIS amount.

If he isn't signed by midnight...we're off to the next Safety candidate. This is what we did two years ago, and obviously we landed a better CB AND a S at the same time in J-Jo and Manning......so, as you can see, you can shop our offer all you want. Our offer changes drastically as the clock ticks down. You can take a great chunk NOW or hope another team meets that or exceeds it after noon on Friday.

I mean, seriously, I hope we played hardball and aren't all weak in the knees and acting like Ed Reed and his advisors are driving the bus here. Surely Rick Smith has the same smarts on this as he did on the Aso-J-Jo-Manning scenario two years ago, which is: Stick with a timeframe, then bail and onto the next guy(s) if Plan A stalls after a set time.

Right?

Texn4life
I think A sidd is probably going to be taking a hiatus for a while........ I can respect that Reed is giving the Ravens every opportunity to match the offer. It does suck, but I'm sure he gave them his word he would do that and a man is usually only as good as his word.

JamesBill

any hunter would

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 02:45 PM

I know you don't want to believe it, but he did.

bckey

Please tell me you didn't just compare Schaub to a marksman.

paycheck71

I don't see Schaub's contract as a huge issue. They obviously felt confident that he's going to be their QB for at least 2 more years. There is no alternative to him at the moment (I like TJ, but I don't think he's the replacement). And he can be cut after 2013 season without any or much of a hit to the cap. So, what's the problem?

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Well, militarily speaking, you have to hit 38 of 40 to qualify expert and IIRC, 33 of 40 to be a sharpshooter. I don't remember what marksman was, because we didn't let anyone live down the shame of qualifying marksman. They always re-qualified.

ASidd_1990
I will NEVER forgive Rick Smith if this deal doesn't get done (and it looks like it won't). If Reed is using the Texans as leverage, it's because this incompetent staff lets them.

Deals don't take this long. You don't have to pick them up in your private ****ing jet. You don't have to make a three-day-long publicized drama to pump up his ego. Look at how long it took the Broncos to get something done with Wes Welker, the Eagles with James Casey and Connor Barwin, the Lions with Glover Quin the Patriots with Danny Amendola. Lay out the terms to his agent and say I need a decision by XXX or I'm moving on to my next option.

Instead, the Texans chose the option of kiss the ground he walks on for days, all with apparently no guarantees from the Reed camp and while other notable free agents sign elsewhere. The problem with the Houston Texans runs rampant throughout the organization -- they're nice guys. There's zero killer instinct and ability to make the cutthroat decisions needed to win at a high level. We already knew it was true with the coach and owner, and this episode makes it seem equally true with the GM.

Say Watt

I agree with you. The sad reality is though, the marksman had already nailed 3 out of 3. Why take the 4th shot? Spend a little more time lining up your sights and make sure you are even shooting at the correct target.

GP
03-15-2013, 02:47 PM
awilson@baltsun.com

@TwentyER:

Reed also posted this clip from Carwash!(1976) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074281/): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbTEusaf2nU&

...with an interesting line in it: Money talks, and bullsh!t walks.

What's your opinion of the reason he posted the Car Wash clip?

Maybe to say he felt like he was treated like royalty while here? The whole "Southern hospitality angle?"

Or was it more of a dig in some form or fashion??? Can't see him making a dig after all the positive things he has been saying here.

Thoughts?

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 02:47 PM
I agree with you. The sad reality is though, the marksman had already nailed 3 out of 3. Why take the 4th shot? Spend a little more time lining up your sights and make sure you are even shooting at the correct target.

Meh, I'd disagree about Myers, but I recognize I'm in the minority there.

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 02:48 PM
I think A sidd is probably going to be taking a hiatus for a while........ I can respect that Reed is giving the Ravens every opportunity to match the offer. It does suck, but I'm sure he gave them his word he would do that and a man is usually only as good as his word.

Why would he have given them his word that he would? They said, "You're not worth $6M next year, we're not paying you $6M."

So now all of a sudden they want to pay him $6M

If they had said, "We can't afford to pay you $6M" that's one thing, but why would they be able to afford it now?

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Delmas stays in Detroit

Say Watt
I know you don't want to believe it, but he did.

4 TDs in the last 6 game is proving he still has it? And the stats don't begin to tell the whole story on just how atrocious Schaub was in those last 6 games.

You are wrong. I want to believe in Schaub. But I choose to live in reality instead of guzzling down the Texans koolaide.

paycheck71
I will NEVER forgive Rick Smith if this deal doesn't get done (and it looks like it won't). If Reed is using the Texans as leverage, it's because this incompetent staff lets them.

Please, spare me. You want them to sign Reed at any cost? I don't. He has a number he wants, the Texans have a number they won't go over. That's pretty much that simple. It's just business. If you buy a car and can't agree on a price, you move on.

GP

Deals don't take this long. You don't have to pick them up in your private ****ing jet. You don't have to make a three-day-long publicized drama to pump up his ego. Look at how long it took the Broncos to get something done with Wes Welker, the Eagles with James Casey and Connor Barwin, the Lions with Glover Quin the Patriots with Danny Amendola. Lay out the terms to his agent and say I need a decision by XXX or I'm moving on to my next option.

Instead, the Texans chose the option of kiss the ground he walks on for days, all with apparently no guarantees from the Reed camp and while other notable free agents sign elsewhere. The problem with the Houston Texans runs rampant throughout the organization -- they're nice guys. There's zero killer instinct and ability to make the cutthroat decisions needed to win at a high level. We already knew it was true with the coach and owner, and this episode makes it seem equally true with the GM.

Lighten up, Francis.

It's all going to be OK.

You don't know what all has been done on either end of the negotiating table. For all we know, Team Reed might already have verbal inquiries from other teams not named Houston Texans and we just happen to be the best offer right now AND the most attractive landing spot for Ed Reed.

We stuck with the Aso negotiations for a long, long time two years ago and then bailed and grabbed TWO FA's for the price of one. And we ended up being better off for it. So, seriously man: It gonna' be OK if Ed Reed doesn't sign here.

Sometimes things don't work out. It's. OK.

LOL. Finally, someone who overreacts more than me.

Say Watt
03-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Meh, I'd disagree about Myers, but I recognize I'm in the minority there.

Jury is still out on Myers. It was a great signing at the time, IMO, but he did not play well last season. How much of his success was due to the combination of Briesel and Winston remains to be seen.

TexanSam
03-15-2013, 02:51 PM

Maybe to say he felt like he was treated like royalty while here? The whole "Southern hospitality angle?"

Or was it more of a dig in some form or fashion??? Can't see him making a dig after all the positive things he has been saying here.

Thoughts?

The Texans aren't a team that talk about free agent visits, so for them to do so in a very public way with Ed Reed is really unusual. If they don't sign him after all this, well then the bullsh!t part of the clip is probably correct.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Jury is still out on Myers. It was a great signing at the time, IMO, but he did not play well last season. How much of his success was due to the combination of Briesel and Winston remains to be seen.

And how much did he suffer because of the whirlwind at RG and an injured old LG?

GP
03-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Just remember:

I said over and over, "What if the Duane Brown and Chris Myers tweets last night were them knowing an inside joke that a few guys knew about with Ed heading into Houston for the red carpet treatment?".

It needs to be asked. Why did Duane put LOL at the end of his "Enjoy your dinner." And why did Myers put in a "ha ha ha" tweet of his own, as well????

Think, McFly. Think.

Sometimes even pro athletes goof up and spill the beans on stuff like this. It happens. It's plausible.

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Hmmm?

Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that “heavy” interest remains on both sides and that Reed has “other responsibilities” outside of visiting with the team that need attention. Wilson spoke to a source who believes Reed will shop around any offer he received from the Texans while predicting that he will ultimately wind up playing in Houston in 2013.

That sounds promising for Houston, but last year’s will he or won’t he return saga illustrates that Reed is willing to take his time making any decision about his future.
link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/ed-reed-leaves-texans-visit-without-a-deal/)

Leverage?

76Texan
The Texans aren't a team that talk about free agent visits, so for them to do so in a very public way with Ed Reed is really unusual. If they don't sign him after all this, well then the bullsh!t part of the clip is probably correct.

Well, I think Andre Johnson is very credible and he said "he thinks we'll get it done."

thunderkyss
4 TDs in the last 6 game is proving he still has it? And the stats don't begin to tell the whole story on just how atrocious Schaub was in those last 6 games.

You are wrong. I want to believe in Schaub. But I choose to live in reality instead of guzzling down the Texans koolaide.

I'm just saying he proved he was the same guy he was before the injury. That Schaub we saw was nothing new, some people have been saying that's the guy we had all along. It just took those last four/five games for the masses to see it.

But he's the same guy he's always been.

Nawzer
03-15-2013, 02:55 PM
This is fun! Some of you guys are on a roller coaster ride with your emotions. It's great message board stuff. Keep it up!

wolf123
03-15-2013, 02:55 PM

I hope your just visiting... :overreact:

TexanSam
03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
This is fun! Some of you guys are on a roller coaster ride with your emotions. It's great message board stuff. Keep it up!

I think it's the life of a Texans fan! Heck, I think it's the life of being a Houston sports fan in general lol.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Delmas stays in Detroit

Another safety off the market. But no lets wait another 72 hours so another safety can go off the market too.

Horrible front office decisions. Should have had a done deal by now.

Keep waiting, Woodson will most like sign with the 49ers.

Did this organization even have a backup plan? Shilo Keo is our starting safety FFS.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 02:59 PM
I hope your just visiting... :overreact:

Bro Rick Smith is wasting valueable time right now. The more he waits for Ed Reed to jerk us around, more FA's are going off the market.

Not a good business stragety.

Playoffs

Thoughts?

I think he was saying it's down to dollars, now. And he has a number in his mind that must be met.

He made $7.2 million plus another ??million?? last year.

Texans argue "we need $$$ leftover to sign more talent to get to SB" .... Reed's agent counters. Yada, yada, yada. I think we're already in "too much money" territory for best of the team -- we'll see what happens. Mr. McNair may have some input here, I'm thinking.

thunderkyss
Did this organization even have a backup plan? Shilo Keo is our starting safety FFS.

Alan Ball has played some Free Safety. He'll be available as late as August 31, so there's really no hurry.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 03:00 PM
The worst thing about this is not necessarily that he didn't sign, it's that we're left hanging in limbo and are essentially unable to make any more moves until he either signs or walks away (or we decide to pursue other options).

JamesBill
03-15-2013, 03:00 PM
We stuck with the Aso negotiations for a long, long time two years ago and then bailed and grabbed TWO FA's for the price of one.

Weren't those deals done the first night of free agency?

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Alan Ball has played some Free Safety. He'll be available as late as August 31, so there's really no hurry.

OMG Alan Ball? Kill me!

Dutchrudder
03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, if Rick's not willing to overpay for Reed, then I'm happy. I'd like to have him, but not for more than about 4 million a year. I think he's looking for 6+, and I just don't think this team can offer that much.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Weren't those deals done the first night of free agency?

Yes they were. This is a completly different situation.

Unless we get Charles Woodson right now similar to how we netted Joseph, it would make sense.

But as of right now, we are at a stand still while Ed Reed holds our cap space hostage.

False Start
03-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Tania Ganguli
‏@taniaganguli
RT @mikegarafolo: Ravens getting involved in talks with Reed. Much as they've lost guys, they won't let him walk w/o a fight. (https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/312645855125598209)

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 03:03 PM
The worst thing about this is not necessarily that he didn't sign, it's that we're left hanging in limbo and are essentially unable to make any more moves until he either signs or walks away (or we decide to pursue other options).

This should not be the case. The Texans should know how much is available to them right now & how much they can free up if they need to. They should plan to spend somewhere between those two figures, if it makes this a better team.

Regardless what happens with Reed, we need an ILB, an OLB, an OT, a WR or two, a FB...... & just because we bring players in doesn't mean we need to sign them. We should be shopping just as much as the FAs are.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 03:04 PM
I think he was saying it's down to dollars, now. And he has a number in his mind that must be met.

He made $7.2 million plus another ??million?? last year.

Texans argue "we need $$$ leftover to sign more talent to get to SB" .... Reed's agent counters. Yada, yada, yada. I think we're already in "too much money" territory for best of the team -- we'll see what happens. Mr. McNair may have some input here, I'm thinking.

Reed did mention that he'd like to win a SB with either AJ, Wayne, or Gore.

The Colts signed Landry and the Niners signed Delmas.

I remain very positive.
I don't think money is an issue.
Reed's agent is also Schaub's agent.
The two sides should know the numbers beforehand;
They probably just need to work out all the details.

TexCanada
03-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Bro Rick Smith is wasting valueable time right now. The more he waits for Ed Reed to jerk us around, more FA's are going off the market.

Not a good business stragety.

Or maybe we are letting other teams sign other safeties, thus weakening the market for Reed.

In the end, is it really a big deal if we don't get Reed? We have gone from being OK with Glover at safety to saying we can't play without him, and saying Reed is washed up and a waste of money to saying we can't play without him, all in the course of a few weeks!

djohn2oo8
03-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Ozzie Newsome was in contact with Reed's agent the whole time.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Or maybe we are letting other teams sign other safeties, thus weakening the market for Reed.

In the end, is it really a big deal if we don't get Reed? We have gone from being OK with Glover at safety to saying we can't play without him, and saying Reed is washed up and a waste of money to saying we can't play without him, all in the course of a few weeks!

Who said that?

Losing our own guys and losing out on FA like Reed while AFC rivals like Broncos, Patriots and Colts are getting better is making me pissed as a Texans fan.

This would be a major egg in the face of the front office. Just makes us look like a laughing stock.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2013, 03:07 PM

OMG! It's payback for when we did this to the Ravens with Kevin Walter!!! Apparently Ozzie can hold a grudge for a long time...

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 03:08 PM

Which means this dog and pony show the last 2 days was a sham the whole time.

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 03:09 PM
The question wasn't whether they were up against the cap; it's how much they get for that cap money. When you tie up a huge portion in one position, that just leaves less to go around elsewhere. Because of the premium put on QB, the number tied up in that position is naturally higher than what you'd tie up in someone like Ray Lewis. The Ravens haven't had to spend $100M+ on a QB before. Now that they are, it'll be interesting to see what that will impact on the rest of the field.

Flacco vs Schaub cap hits

2013 $ 6.8 vs $11.7
2014 $14.8 vs $10.7
2015 $14.9 vs $14.5

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Who said that?

Losing our own guys and losing out on FA like Reed while AFC rivals like Broncos, Patriots and Colts are getting better is making me pissed as a Texans fan.

This would be a major egg in the face of the front office. Just makes us look like a laughing stock.

We were the laughing stock of the NFL for god knows how long and that even goes back to the days before the texans. So shouldnt we be in our comfort zone :kitten:

Corrosion
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
If only you knew what I do you'd jump for joy right now. I'll just say that I hope you like Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard and Eric Winston. There's going to be a trifecta signing going down tomorrow. I think the Texans are positioning themselves nicely well before the draft. Enjoy the evening guys. Let's call it a Friday of champions here in Houston!

So .... where's your backup fantasy ?!

TexCanada
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Who said that?

I don't get why people keep saying that. We'd be a laughing stock for not giving an aging FA ridiculous money?

I would like to see us sign Reed too, but only if the contract amount and length is right for us. Its more important to re-sign Cushing and Watt then it is to get Reed here.

drs23
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Its gonna happen. Just chill, grab some beer to celebrate a little tonight, and wait for someone else to knock on our door to join the party.

It's a little early but since it is Friday and Ed's in the bag I might as well get bagged too. :lol::drunk:

otisbean
03-15-2013, 03:13 PM

2013 $ 6.8 vs $11.7
2014 $14.8 vs $10.7
2015 $14.9 vs $14.5

I would bet a hefty sum of money that Schaub never sees that 2015 salary. He'll either be restructured or cut

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Ed Reed (@TwentyER)
Tough process free agency but know I know your qbs don't throw my way! I appreciate the supports and love the haters!#knowyourworth

Say Watt
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm just saying he proved he was the same guy he was before the injury. That Schaub we saw was nothing new, some people have been saying that's the guy we had all along. It just took those last four/five games for the masses to see it.

But he's the same guy he's always been.

MSR. Hard to argue with you there.

I love roller coasters!

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Why would he have given them his word that he would? They said, "You're not worth $6M next year, we're not paying you $6M."
So now all of a sudden they want to pay him $6M

If they had said, "We can't afford to pay you $6M" that's one thing, but why would they be able to afford it now?

How do you know they said that?

More along the lines of "Go ahead Ed, see wha you can get out on the market". The Ravens have a history of not over valuing their own FA's...they let Ray Lewis test FA...only one team made an offer, the Cowboys, and it was close to what the Ravens had on the table whe he left but he decided to stay.

Only one team is actively pursuing Ed; that tells you no matter what the deal, if he signs with the Texans they will have over paid.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
What Ed Reed thinks about the Ravens FO:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/ed-reed-other-ravens-finding-out-its-a-business/

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
It's a little early but since it is Friday and Ed's in the bag I might as well get bagged too. :lol::drunk:

:lol: Yeah, that was definitely a swing and a miss...... I'm sure there will be something to drink to tonight though. Texan related or not.

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I would bet a hefty sum of money that Schaub never sees that 2015 salary. He'll either be restructured or cut

Sme thing with Flacco- after 2015 he will re-structure or extend it will all salary being converted to signing Bonus ad then being guaranteed....

Its a game. If a QB deal says "5yrs, xxx million" its really athree year deal wth all 3 yrs guaranteed.

A lot of the guys signing now in FA are really signing 1 yr deals....

76Texan
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM
:lol: Yeah, that was definitely a swing and a miss...... I'm sure there will be something to drink to tonight though. Texan related or not.

Here's to the signing of Andre Gardner!:scare:

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 03:23 PM
What Ed Reed thinks about the Ravens FO:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/ed-reed-other-ravens-finding-out-its-a-business/

“I think, as an organization, they kind of want things on their terms,” Reed said. “Seeing how things have transpired over there right now, it’s like wow, I just can’t believe how things are happening from a business standpoint when guys give you blood sweat and tears and give you everything. And try to do the best for the team. Players definitely did that.

“Baltimore’s a great organization over the years as we all know, and do the right things for the organization. You’ve got to respect that. Every organization does that.”

Actually, Ed, every organization doesn’t. There are many organizations that get emotionally tied to players and keep them past their expiration date. And they overspend in the process, and limit their ability to stay viable beyond a specific group of individuals.

I see nothing wrong in that; the avens hae allowed Ed to workout in the offseason in Miami wth his "U" dudes, skip OTA's, etc., and every other player puts in the same blood, sweat and tears.....

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Here's to the signing of Andre Gardner!:scare:

Championship!!!! :fans:

JamesBill
03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Only one team is actively pursuing Ed; that tells you no matter what the deal, if he signs with the Texans they will have over paid.

The nature of free agency and free markets is paying more than other buyers on the market. There is more than one buyer for Ed Reed, no matter what you type.

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
If he ends up in Denver I might seriously throw up. I can live with Baltimore, New England because of his love for BB, Indy because of his ex-coach, and even San Fran because of his ties to Gore.......... But if he ends up in Colorado I'd be pretty upset and disappointed. Their name hasn't been involved with his, but Welker wasn't either much before he ended up there.

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
The nature of free agency and free markets is paying more than other buyers on the market. There is more than one buyer for Ed Reed, no matter what you type.

Who would that be? What Team planes were at the airport for him?

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Reed's agent is also Schaub's agent.

Awe hell...... we're going to get raped again.

:kitten:

tru80texan
03-15-2013, 03:34 PM
If he ends up in Denver I might seriously throw up. I can live with Baltimore, New England because of his love for BB, Indy because of his ex-coach, and even San Fran because of his ties to Gore.......... But if he ends up in Colorado I'd be pretty upset and disappointed. Their name hasn't been involved with his, but Welker wasn't either much before he ended up there.

John Elway is already in the process of convincing many that he can be a very good GM very quickly while we are still holding on to hope that Smith can eventually hit & surpass the "ok" GM standard. LOL! Just messing w/ you...sorta.

infantrycak
03-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Which means this dog and pony show the last 2 days was a sham the whole time.

Are you two really foolish enough to believe every free agent's agent is not in contact with other teams the whole time? That doesn't make anything a sham.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 03:41 PM
John Elway is already in the process of convincing many that he can be a very good GM very quickly while we are still holding on to hope that Smith can eventually hit & surpass the "ok" GM standard. LOL! Just messing w/ you...sorta.

Elway just screwed up the pooch, LOL!

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Economics quiz. In a market with one buyer and many sellers, the price is raised or lowered? I realize you are on government assistance in the slums of Baltimore so you might not know, but think about it.

Wow- who knew you could stoop so low? Was that really necessarry when you have no idea who the heck I am, where I come from, what I do for a living?

Internet Tough Guy strikes again...

hot pickle
03-15-2013, 03:49 PM
we just got played again.... watch reed sign with the ravens by the end of the night

otisbean
03-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Economics quiz. In a market with one buyer and many sellers, the price is raised or lowered? I realize you are on government assistance in the slums of Baltimore so you might not know, but think about it.

Not cool....

tru80texan
03-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Elway just screwed up the pooch, LOL!

What's really funny is that you are silly enough to believe what you just spewed while ignoring the big picture & the fact that he convinced a key member of his team to take a pay cut. Missing the deadline on getting signature because of the player pales in comparison to the fact that Elway kept his team intact & strong by getting the player to take a pay cut. A pay cut on a contract that many are already predicting the player will resign. Hardly a dramatic screw up, but I realize the desperation in trying to prove something. LOL! Please try again because that was not that good of an example of screwing the pooch based on what all Elway has accomplished thus far. :rolleyes:

JamesBill
03-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Wow- who knew you could stoop so low? Was that really necessarry when you have no idea who the heck I am, where I come from, what I do for a living?

Internet Tough Guy strikes again...

Oh, if I am wrong you might want to modify the way your fake internet character "handswarmer" posts.

SW H-TOWN
03-15-2013, 03:54 PM
I sure hope somebody is trying to get Quinten Mikell over here with the quickness bec I doubt the Ed Reed deal is happening. They can say what they want, deal ongoing...whatever. If he was going to sign 98% he would have signed before he left. The good thing is that there are other options, I hope the FO is on the phone.

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 03:55 PM

2013 $ 6.8 vs $11.7
2014 $14.8 vs $10.7
2015 $14.9 vs $14.5

If that's the case, then the details of his contract has been grossly overstated.

Flacco's guarantee (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21798858/flaccos-6-year-deal-tops-brees-in-average-201m-and-for-1st-3-years-62m-) includes a $29 million signing bonus and he will average $20.1 million per year, a slightly higher average than Saints QB Drew Brees' previous record.

The Super Bowl XLVII MVP also will make $62 million in the first three years of the deal -- $1 million more than Brees. Flacco will earn $51 million in the first two seasons.

$6.8 + $14.8 + $29 = $50.6M, but that's counting portions of the $29M bonus twice since some of it should already be built into his cap hits for the first two years.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
What's really funny is that you are silly enough to believe what you just spewed while ignoring the big picture & the fact that he convinced a key member of his team to take a pay cut. Missing the deadline on getting signature because of the player pales in comparison to the fact that Elway kept his team intact & strong by getting the player to take a pay cut. A pay cut on a contract that many are already predicting the player will resign. Hardly a dramatic screw up, but I realize the desperation in trying to prove something. LOL! Please try again because that was not that good of an example of screwing the pooch based on what all Elway has accomplished thus far. :rolleyes:

You don't think thatvlosing a competent pass rusher is important? lOL!

Dutchrudder
03-15-2013, 04:00 PM
If that's the case, then the details of his contract has been grossly overstated.

$6.8 + $14.8 + $29 = $50.6M, but that's counting portions of the $29M bonus twice since some of it should already be built into his cap hits for the first two years.

That's because he's leaving out the bulk of the contract.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Joe%20Flacco&Position=QB&Team=Ravens

2016: $28,550,000
2017: $31,150,000
2018: $24,750,000

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Harumph

Chad Johnson‏@ochocinco
What a beautiful day in Miami, what's the weather like in Houston?

tru80texan
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM
You don't think thatvlosing a competent pass rusher is important? lOL!

LOL! Who said he was lost? The report is he took a pay cut & based on the money many are already predicting he will waste no time resigning it consisering what others have signed for thus far. Once again, compared to all if the moves Elway has made & continues to make this hardly a huge mistake & one I'm sure many will forgive considering Elway has quickly turned the Broncos into the odds on favorite to win it all. I don't hear that kind of talk going on around here. Convincing a key player to take a pay cut & creating cap space while signing key players is a minor blemish compared to Rick Smith's recent woes. I will take Elway's small mistake all day to say the least.

Vance87
03-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Harumph

Oh Jesus...

76Texan
03-15-2013, 04:11 PM
LOL! Who said he was lost? The report is he took a pay cut & based on the money many are already predicting he will waste no time resigning it consisering what others have signed for thus far. Once again, compared to all if the moves Elway has made & continues to make this hardly a huge mistake & one I'm sure many will forgive considering Elway has quickly turned the Broncos into the odds on favorite to win it all. I don't hear that kind of talk going on around here. Convincing a key player to take a pay cut & creating cap space while signing key players is a minor blemish compared to Rick Smith's recent woes. I will take Elway's small mistake all day to say the least.

I guess you haven't read the news :)

bhsman
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Harumph

I'm down.

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Chad Johnson‏@ochocinco
What a beautiful day in Miami, what's the weather like in Houston?
Sunny with a 100% chance of NoOchoStinko!

srrono
03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Harumph

Interesting C.Johnson would help us if cheap

SCOTTexans
03-15-2013, 04:18 PM

Didn't we just get rid of one of those.... Jacoby

tru80texan
03-15-2013, 04:21 PM
I guess you haven't read the news :)

Ummmm...yes I have. That's why I know what you are talking about since you gave no details. Dumervil took a pay cut & failed to get his signature on the contract in time & the Broncos missed the deadline to have it filed by a few minutes. Now Dumervil can test the market as a FA, but many have said the amount Dumervil was to get paid is a good deal compared to what others have signed for & expect him to resign the contract. Guess you are still missing or refusing to acknowledge that last little tidbit that I keep stating as well as the big picture that Elway continues to move his team in the right direction. If you think that small mistake wipes away all the good Elway has done as you, as well as.many others,continue to make excuses for Smith then you are only fooling yourself. It's really not that complicated.

Side note- to be fair some are reporting that Dumervil being "cut" due to the technicality will result in $5M in dead money & he could possibly not be reigned. Either way this was option the Broncos were exploring beforehand & still freed them of his $12M salary. This still doesn't erase all that Elway has done, but is a mistake that wasn't intended.

mariowillshine15
03-15-2013, 04:21 PM

He would serve gatorade at a pro bowl level.

Dutchrudder
03-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Jacoby had his issues, but he was nowhere near the distraction that Ochocinco was for the Bengals. Jacoby right now is a much better player than Chad has been in a few years.

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 04:28 PM

I'm not sure what you're saying here, I think you're talking about Dumerville. If you are, I think that's a good point. Why would Dumerville take a paycut he'll get paid if he hits free agency. This dude just came off a double digit sack year for the third time in a 6 year career.

Then Philly gets Barwin to ink a deal where he's only getting $4.5M over the first three years of the deal. Only $8Million guaranteed over the first 2 years, then you can cut him at no cost. I see no reason we couldn't afford to pay Connor $4.5M/yr (http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/3/14/4105994/connor-barwins-contract-is-very-team-friendly). & if Rick Smith offered Connor something similar before 2012 & couldn't seal the deal..... I mean, c'mon guys. The writing is on the wall.

& if Quin is signing deals similar to what we would've/should've/could've offered??? I'm sorry (not really) but the man (Smith) has a lot to prove.

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 04:28 PM

Chad can't touch Jacoby. Will never be a Texan.

http://i.qkme.me/359fim.jpg

76Texan
03-15-2013, 04:29 PM
LOL! Who said he was lost? The report is he took a pay cut & based on the money many are already predicting he will waste no time resigning it consisering what others have signed for thus far. Once again, compared to all if the moves Elway has made & continues to make this hardly a huge mistake & one I'm sure many will forgive considering Elway has quickly turned the Broncos into the odds on favorite to win it all. I don't hear that kind of talk going on around here. Convincing a key player to take a pay cut & creating cap space while signing key players is a minor blemish compared to Rick Smith's recent woes. I will take Elway's small mistake all day to say the least.you're all over the place, man.

I was never criticizing Elway's body of work.

I only laughed at how he was able to snatch defeat out of the jaw of victory in this case.

If you don't find it funny, that's quite alright!