PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Bulls on Parade we need you to respond ASAP.

Uh oh..... pitchforks starting to come out.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider
Ed Reed is definitely staying overnight for his Texans visit, told "It's looking serious," per a source.

I bet Rick put him up in a Holiday Inn Express.

& can't figure out why he can't woo these guys.

JMacaroni
03-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL
I'm assuming the Texans want Reed for his coverage skills, because in the games I watched he was pretty bad against the run.

Most of the guys on our D are hitters. We need a hawk.

mariowillshine15
03-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Most of the guys on our D are hitters. We need a hawk.

Yep. With Cush back and Watt we can handle the run. Need someone to get some turnovers.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Uh oh..... pitchforks starting to come out.

No pitchforks but dude needs to clarify on his comments. Can't speculate without being 100% true.

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 07:37 PM
The one guy keeps tweeting that we're great closers. I am pretty curious about when we got that reputation.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 07:43 PM
The one guy keeps tweeting that we're great closers. I am pretty curious about when we got that reputation.

Which guy?

Also I have a feeling we will be signing someone else as well. But who?

Nnamdi is going to 49ers, Jennings is heading to Minnesota, perhaps Eric Winston ?

76Texan
03-14-2013, 07:43 PM

We closed the Ryans deal; we closed the Winston's deal; we closed the Brisiel's deal.
Dang, we closed a lot of deals, LOl!

Texan_Bill
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Leigh Bodden. Dodged a bullet on that one. Injured his shoulder and played 5 games in the NFL after signing a contract for $10 million guaranteed.

THANK YOU Lucky!! Funny how things work out sometimes, no?

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 07:48 PM
One of Ed Reed's advisors

Brad Davis‏@Bscrap12
Southern hospitality is amazing... great meeting @sonofbum today...what a great players coach! pic.twitter.com/b9iMoJ74F1

Retweeted by Jason La Canfora

Texan_Bill
03-14-2013, 07:51 PM
yeah a few years ago.. when we hadnt won consecutive divisions and werent generally considered one of the best teams/real contenders.. time to move on

True, but the Texans were widely regarded as an up and coming team... Unfortunately with pathetic coaching on the defensive side. Really doesn't matter though, he simply used his visit to Houston to leverage himself a better deal. Actually, I don't blame him for that but by the same token I hope the Texans aren't about to get Bodden'd by Reed.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Dunno if legit or not....

Rich Smith ‏@ALLsportsINTEL
BREAKING NFL UPDATE - Former Ravens Safety Ed Reed has reportedly agreed to terms with the Houston Texans.

Corrosion
03-14-2013, 07:52 PM
LOL that dude went on a limb......:toropalm:

Right... Who was that DB a few years ago, from New England that fleeced us only to go back to New England??

I was just gettin at the fact that he's telling us he whats going on like he has an inside source.

There are several members on this forum with ties to the team .... But they dont let it be known to the masses and they dont blab about the teams intentions.

But you already know that ....

hookinreds
03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
I was just gettin at the fact that he's telling us he whats going on like he has an inside source.

There are several members on this forum with ties to the team .... But they dont let it be known to the masses and they dont blab about the teams intentions.

Exactly, why would I leak my connection or give out informaiton before the team says it's ok?

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Does anybody know if Stanford Routt is still on our roster? Or is he a FA?

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Which guy?

Also I have a feeling we will be signing someone else as well. But who?

Nnamdi is going to 49ers, Jennings is heading to Minnesota, perhaps Eric Winston ?

Aaron Wilson...... others have posted his tweets on here. He's a Ravens Insider apparently. Its just weird to hear that.

We're definitely not gonna be done after Reed. It'll be an OLB I believe. Calvin Pace is not a bad option who won't cost a ton, but I also believe we're gonna push for Woodson if he comes cheap enough.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Exactly, why would I leak my connection or give out informaiton before the team says it's ok?

On a messageboard? With complete anonymity?

What harm could come from it? A bunch of people who no one cares about & no one listens to...

dalemurphy
03-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Does anybody know if Stanford Routt is still on our roster? Or is he a FA?

free agent

Corrosion
03-14-2013, 08:04 PM

What harm could come from it? A bunch of people who no one cares about & no one listens to...

Eh , a lot of us here dont have "complete anonymity" ..... Ive met , drank with and done business with multiple members of our forums.

But yeah I get your point .... :kitten:

infantrycak
03-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Anonymity doesn't count for crap when only a few people could be the original source and they know who they talked to about what is disclosed.

As a matter of fact having the limited number of insiders each tell a slightly different story is a standard way to out people.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 08:14 PM
free agent

Crap really wish he was still on our roster. He would be a good backup FS

Brisco_County
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Come on, who wouldn't sacrifice his paycheck for reputation points?

mussop
03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Ed Reed the perfect trainer for a honey badger.

SW H-TOWN
03-14-2013, 09:31 PM
We closed the Ryans deal; we closed the Winston's deal; we closed the Brisiel's deal.
Dang, we closed a lot of deals, LOl!

That's a good one, actually did LOL.

SW H-TOWN
03-14-2013, 09:44 PM
LOL that dude went on a limb......:toropalm:

For real. Even if you did hear that we would sign those 3 guys tomorrow I think it is not really the best idea to say it in such a definitive nature due to the fluidity of FA. Quite the gunslinger this one...

Texan_Bill
03-14-2013, 09:47 PM

Yes.... Yes I do.

GP
03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Ed Reed the perfect trainer for a honey badger.

Hmmmm...

CloakNNNdagger
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Swagger is his game.

What Ed Reed would add to the Texans (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/74088/what-ed-reed-would-add-to-the-texans)
March, 14, 2013
5:36 PM ET
By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com

Ed Reed wonít be a long-term solution if he becomes the Texans new free safety. While heís sure to make plays, heís also sure to gamble and miss, and as he's 35 he tends to get banged up, so there is the risk of missing time.

What offsets that?

Well, heís arguably the best safety of his generation, and he brings a big degree of something Glover Quin didnít have the resume to really generate: Swagger.

Call it overrated. But as last season wore on, the Texans lost their swagger. And who on defense outside of J.J. Watt really deserved to have the sort of confidence that breeds a you-can't-beat-me and a you-canít-beat-us attitude?

Antonio Smith maybe.

Other candidates?

Not cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who wasnít the same player in his second year with the team, in part because of injuries. Not outside linebacker Connor Barwin, whose play dropped off substantially from the year before. Not outside linebacker Brooks Reed, who missed time hurt late in the regular season.

A lack of swagger wonít be a problem for the defense if Ed Reed is on the field, and heís a guy that plays with enough that it rubs off on other guys. He and Watt can provide it in spades.

Itís too bad he can pass only so much on to the offense, where only Andre Johnson, Duane Brown and Arian Foster really have it.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora
Ed Reed still out to dinner with Texans officials, as well as WR Andre Johnson, who actively recruited him to Houston, and OL Chris Myers

srrono
03-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Seems @AdamSchefter said on the air that Reed's chances of signing with the #Texans aren't as sure as many reports indicate.

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't know who to believe anymore!!

Lucky
03-14-2013, 10:42 PM
And who on defense outside of J.J. Watt really deserved to have the sort of confidence that breeds a you-can't-beat-me and a you-canít-beat-us attitude?
Brian Cushing. The Texans should have plenty of swagger on defense next year. Hopefully, that translates into a better pass defense.

Brisco_County
03-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Seems @AdamSchefter said on the air that Reed's chances of signing with the #Texans aren't as sure as many reports indicate.

There's no evidence to the contrary either. Just his opinion.

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't know who to believe anymore!!

Schefter always seems to be pretty keyed into what's going on, but he talks out of both sides of his mouth at times too. If Ed Reed leaves tomorrow without signing a deal then we'll all know.

False Start
03-14-2013, 10:50 PM
This feels like the Nnamdi Asomugha (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82429) situation, and the thread about it all over again. I hope the results are different.

mariowillshine15
03-14-2013, 10:52 PM
This feels like the Nnamdi Asomugha (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82429) situation, and the thread about it all over again. I hope the results are different.

So we'll probably end up with Charles Woodson and he'll be better than Reed right?

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 10:53 PM

I don't ever remember being close to signing Nnamdi. I personally think its a done deal.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
This would be a PR disaster if Ed Reed leaves Houston without a deal. All the Texans have been doing is telling their fans "Look Ed Reed is here! He's landed in Houston! OMG!"

Add to the fact RavensInsider said Reed was their target all along, even before Free Agency began.

PapaL
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Swagger is such a stupid word. The guy has a skill set and ability we have never had at that position...not the ability to biggie size my fries and drink.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Ed Reed still out to dinner with Texans officials, as well as WR Andre Johnson, who actively recruited him to Houston, and OL Chris Myers

badboy
03-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Michael Crabtree next in a trade?

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Huh? Where did you hear that?

Lucky
03-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Sure, why not? Then we flip Matt Schaub for Tom Brady.

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
One thing people who know Ed Reed have always emphasized to me -- Only Ed knows what Ed's thinking. Marches to the beat of his own drummer.

This is scary.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:09 PM
They're about to talk about Ed Reed latest on Sportscenter right now.

mariowillshine15
03-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Schefter said it's 50/50 at best he signs with Houston.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Adam Schefter said it's 50/50 at BEST that he signs with the Texans according to his sources.

Said going back to Baltimore is also an option.

Also said the 49ers and Colts also have a shot as well.

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Interesting tweets between Myers and Brown.

Brown said, Enjoy your dinner lol, to which Myers replied haha.

So, did the dinner not actually happen?

I am beginning to get a bad feeling.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 11:17 PM

Texn4life

I think you need a drink LV....... Either way it'll be ok I swear.

ASidd_1990

Looks like Myers deleted the tweet. Last tweet on his timeline was from March 12th hhmmmmmm............

rolyat93
03-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Looks like Myers deleted the tweet. Last tweet on his timeline was from March 12th hhmmmmmm............

Still there...

https://twitter.com/CMyers55/status/312414246505963520

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm starting to get that sick feeling we are being used as leverage.

Reminds me of Bodden-Nnamdi situation all over again.

:wadepalm:

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 11:22 PM

Haha! I think some Smirnoff would taste really good right about now. :bender:

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 11:23 PM

Oh btw. MSR.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Seems to me like a smoke screen to other NFL teams. Do you take a chance to wait till tomorrow to see if Reed sign with the Texans or do you sign other available S now? Or, approach Reed's agents by phone to offer a lot more than Texans can offer which is likely be around 6M and for other teams to persuade Reed's agents to listen, needs to be much more with a firm offer in place as Reed and his agents are in Houston for seemingly their final step of negotiation. Meaning, if other NFL team/s want Reed now, you need to come up with an offer that may exceed his value which limits your cap space.

Prior to Reed's FA visit, I am pretty sure his agents talked to several NFL teams and likely Houston had most intriguing numbers in place which may be negotiable for a little more to satisfy Reed's asking #.

Anyway, we will see it tomorrow.

Nawzer
03-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Haha!

Endcoachment
03-14-2013, 11:30 PM
First of all, what dinner could take place this late. The Myers tweet proves to me that the dinner tweet is false. Almost every establishment closes at 10 or 11. Plus why would he be tweeting at a dinner, those reservations are for after you have left the restaurant.

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 11:33 PM
First of all, what dinner could take place this late. The Myers tweet proves to me that the dinner tweet is false. Second. I can understand Andre being there, but Chris Myers???

That's what I'm thinking.

As far as Myers though, he was on the championship team for Miami.

Texn4life
First of all, what dinner could take place this late. The Myers tweet proves to me that the dinner tweet is false. Second. I can understand Andre being there, but Chris Myers???

They all played at Miami together.

rolyat93

University of Miami alum's.

djohn2oo8

He went to the U as well.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 11:34 PM
NLFN said they won't announce anything tonight, because of the Rodeo. Guess they don't want to steel the spotlight.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:36 PM
NLFN said they won't announce anything tonight, because of the Rodeo. Guess they don't want to steel the spotlight.

SMH at this franchise. Who cares about the Rodeo?

Just announce it already.

I guess Ed Reed really was serious when he said he wanted to let everyone know his decision LeBron style.

mariowillshine15
03-14-2013, 11:37 PM

"We signed Ed Reed!"

"Who cares this bull is stomping this rodeo clown!"

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 11:37 PM

Well in that case, I guess I'll sleep like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Only problem is, when I wake up, will we have presents, or will we have Coal?

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM

McClain said this earlier...... no way they'd be able to have a press conference this late with all the people around Reliant. Pretty sure they wanna run out their new toy in a press conference to show him off with all the work done today.

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM

I guess Ed Reed really was serious when he said he wanted to let everyone know his decision LeBron style.

The rodeo in Houston is a big deal. BIG DEAL.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Pretty sure the dinner was to celebrate the deal getting done.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Since this is probably the most active thread right now and I don't wanna make a new thread I'll post it here.

One of my friends told me the Texans are looking to sign Casey Hampton, can anyone confirm that?

infantrycak
03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm starting to get that sick feeling we are being used as leverage.

Reminds me of Bodden-Nnamdi situation all over again.

:wadepalm:

Not to you particularly but enough already with this implication the Texans get used as leverage. Every team gets used as leverage in free agency. Do companies not bid suppliers against one another? Agents are going to bid teams against one another. The fact a player doesn't end up with a team doesn't mean that team was being "used" and never had any intention of potentially playing there.

First of all, what dinner could take place this late. The Myers tweet proves to me that the dinner tweet is false. Almost every establishment closes at 10 or 11. Plus why would he be tweeting at a dinner, those reservations are for after you have left the restaurant.

You don't get out much do you? Nobody in Houston is kicking AJ, Ed Reed, Rick Smith, etc. out at "closing time." They don't even do that to ordinary citizens who are spending well.

Endcoachment
03-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Forgot Myers went to the U.

I'm tired of this rodeo hoopla. Anyone care to explain what the rodeo has to do with offseason NFL football? And rodeo activities going on tomorrow too right. Only reason is creating panic for when Reed walks into reliant, but from what I remember the rodeo is centered around the astronomers and arena while bobs palace is left untouched.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I wonder what kind of dinner they had. French, Italian, BBQ, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:44 PM
McClain said this earlier...... no way they'd be able to have a press conference this late with all the people around Reliant. Pretty sure they wanna run out their new toy in a press conference to show him off with all the work done today.
Trust me there would be leaks like crazy if there was even a hint that a deal was done.

I guarantee you Schefter, RavensInsider or JLC would break it before our local guys.

Wouldn't matter about a press conference or not.

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 11:46 PM
I wonder what kind of dinner they had. French, Italian, BBQ, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

BREAKING: Ed Reed ate spicy asian at dinner. Made his tummy feel bad. Texans out of the running for Reed.

:kitten:

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Since this is probably the most active thread right now and I don't wanna make a new thread I'll post it here.

One of my friends told me the Texans are looking to sign Casey Hampton, can anyone confirm that?

Casey's still a Steeler as of right now, and as someone who grew up in Galveston County I can say he's wanted to play for the Texans for years but Pitt paid him quite well last time. Too good to turn down.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:47 PM

Morton's Steakhouse on McKinney street.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Casey's still a Steeler as of right now, and as someone who grew up in Galveston County I can say he's wanted to play for the Texans for years but Pitt paid him quite well last time. Too good to turn down.

So he's not a free agent?

Vance87
03-14-2013, 11:48 PM
BREAKING: Ed Reed ate spicy asian at dinner. Made his tummy feel bad. Texans out of the running for Reed.

:kitten:

AJ got up to give him some antacids but he tore his hammy. :kubepalm:

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 11:49 PM
So he's not a free agent?

As of right this moment he is not.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Morton's Steakhouse on McKinney street.

Sounds nice and thanks for info.

GP
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Last time a FA was at a Texans dinner, talking about how nice the people are in Texas, he went back to his team and signed a nice deal with them...not us.

So....this situation is mirroring the previous one in almost every way.

I mean, it has looked a little fishy...the financial advisors posing beside the Texans' private jet??? Why do you do that...you do it because other teams see that pic on twitter and *drum roll, please* it creates demand and urgency.

We need to temper our enthusiasm on this. It's just a sit-down, it's just dinner, and some mushy words from Ed and his hostage negotiator (financial advisor). Think about it.

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Trust me there would be leaks like crazy if there was even a hint that a deal was done.

I guarantee you Schefter, RavensInsider or JLC would break it before our local guys.

Wouldn't matter about a press conference or not.

Not necessarily...... the Texans are notoriously tight lipped at times. I also think some negotiating may be left to be made as far as Reed working out here in Houston instead of back in Miami. With vets its not always as simple as the numbers.

ChampionTexan
03-14-2013, 11:54 PM

Yes, he is.
LINK (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/pittsburgh-steelers-2013-free-agents-analysis-nt-casey-hampton-unrestricted/)

infantrycak
03-14-2013, 11:54 PM

According to rotoworld and spotrac he is a free agent.

Last time a FA was at a Texans dinner, talking about how nice the people are in Texas, he went back to his team and signed a nice deal with them...not us.

So....this situation is mirroring the previous one in almost every way.

I mean, it has looked a little fishy...the financial advisors posing beside the Texans' private jet??? Why do you do that...you do it because other teams see that pic on twitter and *drum roll, please* it creates demand and urgency.

We need to temper our enthusiasm on this. It's just a sit-down, it's just dinner, and some mushy words from Ed and his hostage negotiator (financial advisor). Think about it.

Is this the same crystal ball you used to see Barwin would get vet minimum?

Not necessarily...... the Texans are notoriously tight lipped at times. I also think some negotiating may be left to be made as far as Reed working out here in Houston instead of back in Miami. With vets its not always as simple as the numbers.

Not disagreeing with your overall point but AJ does a lot of working out in Miami and the Texans have never had a problem with it.

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Yes, he is.
LINK (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2136467)

That's my mistake...... I'll have to do some asking around on this tomorrow. He owns a house in this area and has been planning his post career here so it makes some sense.

Nawzer
03-14-2013, 11:58 PM

Yeah my sources are telling me that Hampton is also at this restaurant where they're wining and dining Ed Reed. Apparently Rick Smith walked over and offered him a contract plus free life time supply of steak. Hampton then signed the contract with ketchup and rode his horse back home.

JCTexan
03-15-2013, 12:04 AM

Someone asked Brown why he wasn't attending the dinner, his response: "I ain't part of "The U" lol"

GP
03-15-2013, 12:04 AM

It's the world's largest rodeo.

It has music concerts by top performers.

So....it makes millions of dollars through all avenues of revenue (ads, sponsorships, ticket sales, concession sales, etc.).

The National Finals Rodeo at the end of the season is held in Las Vegas. It is the second largest generator of income for Las Vegas with only Super Bowl weekend being ahead of it.

So yeah, it's a big deal. You want to have the city of Houston and its media focusing on one or the other, not both...or the fan fare isn't as large.

Rey
03-15-2013, 12:10 AM
I wonder where they ate at

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Sigh....I just want Ed Reed in a Houston Texans jersey by the start of the 2013 NFL season.

I don't care how they announce it.

Please don't let me down Texans.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 12:14 AM

I remember seeing a post-game interview with Ed Reed and the reporter asked him how will you celebrate this win, he said "Go eat at Ruth Chris".

I bet you they went to Ruth Chris Steakhouse off of Richmond.

And guess whats close to Ruth Chris?.......you guessed it Treasures.

They probably went there to celebrate the signing.

b0ng
03-15-2013, 12:18 AM
I feel that we don't have as good of a shot at signing Reed as I did earlier today, but it's still a shot nonetheless. I'm wondering who else they have targeted and if they have been in contact with those players.

infantrycak
03-15-2013, 12:19 AM

I remember seeing a post-game interview with Ed Reed and the reporter asked him how will you celebrate this win, he said "Go eat at Ruth Chris".

I bet you they went to Ruth Chris Steakhouse off of Richmond.

And guess whats close to Ruth Chris?.......you guessed it Treasures.

They probably went there to celebrate the signing.

Clearly y'all don't even bother to read threads. There was a report just a page or so back that they are at Morton's on McKinney.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Clearly y'all don't even bother to read threads. There was a report just a page or so back that they are at Morton's.

LMAO I was the one who said that.

I got my steakhouses mixed up.

Ruth Chris not Mortons.

Steal Your Face
I would LOVE to see Ed Reed in a Texans' uniform ... the Ed Reed of 2005-2010. I think we could end up being very disappointed in the Ed Reed of 2013.

GP
Sigh....I just want Ed Reed in a Houston Texans jersey by the start of the 2013 NFL season.

I don't care how they announce it.

Please don't let me down Texans.

Bro, slow down. This isn't like we win the Super Bowl the second he signs with us.

LOL. Calm your boobies.

infantrycak
03-15-2013, 12:23 AM
LMAO I was the one who said that.

I got my steakhouses mixed up.

Ruth Chris not Mortons.

So your source suddenly went from Morton's downtown to Ruth Chris on Richmond? That isn't just name confusion.

DX-TEX
Lance Z seems to think the Texans have another card up their sleeve. Another signing announced along side Reed tomorrow?

NitroGSXR

I can't tell you how many times we have re-opened Brennan's of Houston afterhours. I mean... I have gotten calls to come in at 3am because an important guest was coming in because he had a hunkering for turtle soup after a club run. All just for one guest.

GP
I feel that we don't have as good of a shot at signing Reed as I did earlier today, but it's still a shot nonetheless. I'm wondering who else they have targeted and if they have been in contact with those players.

Think of it this way.....

Did we have a plan B when Bodden Orlando Pace'd us? Nope.

Why would we now?

It'll be "Nothing to see here, folks...we didn't get our man but we still have the draft and other later free agency options to sort through."

b0ng
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM

Why would we now?

It'll be "Nothing to see here, folks...we didn't get our man but we still have the draft and other later free agency options to sort through."

They did have a plan when Aso didn't sign, and they have shown interest in Woodson as well. We shall see though.

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2013, 12:29 AM

Why would we now?

And long-term those positions worked out better not worse for not signing those guys.

infantrycak
03-15-2013, 12:29 AM
I can't tell you how many times we have re-opened Brennan's of Houston afterhours. I mean... I have gotten calls to come in at 3am because an important guest was coming in because he had a hunkering for turtle soup after a club run. All just for one guest.

Thank you. Cafe Annie closed off their entire back room (which was big enough for a fair sized wedding reception) for us one evening for one table of about 12 (very mafia feeling, one table in the middle of a big room) and we stayed into the wee hours. Nobody is kicking these cats out and potentially losing the business of Schaub bringing the OL in for a weekly dinner, etc.

Hagar
03-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah my sources are telling me that Hampton is also at this restaurant where they're wining and dining Ed Reed. Apparently Rick Smith walked over and offered him a contract plus free life time supply of steak. Hampton then signed the contract with ketchup and rode his horse back home.

I didn't know Budweiser relocated the clydesdales to Houston. If KC signes with us that would make a good smilie: KC on a squished clydesdale.

Joe Texan
03-15-2013, 12:51 AM
CAPTAIN DEE FENSE
6 hours ago ∑
Wednesday 14 March - 7;48pm

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Ravens S Ed Reed spoke today like a man saying goodbye to Baltimore. Every sign now points to him getting done a deal in Houston on Friday.
Like∑Comment
17 61

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 01:00 AM
CAPTAIN DEE FENSE
6 hours ago ∑
Wednesday 14 March - 7;48pm

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Ravens S Ed Reed spoke today like a man saying goodbye to Baltimore. Every sign now points to him getting done a deal in Houston on Friday.
Like∑Comment
17 61

That was 6 hours ago. Schefter was on Sportscenter about an hour or so ago and said it is only 50/50 percent chance now that he ends up in Houston.

JCTexan
03-15-2013, 01:03 AM
That was 6 hours ago. Schefter was on Sportscenter about an hour or so ago and said it is only 50/50 percent chance now that he ends up in Houston.

I've seen the 50/50 segment a few times, so that statement isn't that current either.

DX-TEX
03-15-2013, 01:06 AM

So in other words he doesn't know.

I have a gut feeling the deal is done but there is something else at play here. Another signing will be announced along side the Reed announcement tomorrow.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 01:11 AM
So in other words he doesn't know.

I have a gut feeling the deal is done but there is something else at play here. Another signing will be announced along side the Reed announcement tomorrow.
Who's the other player you think we will sign?

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 01:42 AM
CSN's Reed Interview (http://www.csnhouston.com/texans/exclusive-reed-houston-home-away-home)

Some pretty good stuff here........ sounds like a guy who is really close to pulling the trigger.

Pay attention to the Andre interview underneath that as well. Said he called Reed right after the Super Bowl and pitched Houston, and that he "put the bug" in the ear of the Front Office that Reed was interested.

rolyat93
03-15-2013, 01:53 AM
CSN's Reed Interview (http://www.csnhouston.com/texans/exclusive-reed-houston-home-away-home)

Some pretty good stuff here........ sounds like a guy who is really close to pulling the trigger.

Sounded like him being a Texan has already happened.

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 01:55 AM

Already watching film....... granted this stuff happens all the time, but it does sound like the writing is on the wall with the way he's talking. Reed may be trying to recruit some other free agents in the process tomorrow or the next few days too. That's kind of more what it sounded like to me than him trying to make up his mind.

rolyat93
03-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Word on the street is Ed Reed just announced he's a Texan at Pub Fiction.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-15-2013, 02:00 AM

Yep, it sure sounds like it. Thanks for link BTW.

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Word on the street is Ed Reed just announced he's a Texan at Pub Fiction.

I thought you were joking but there really are people on twitter saying this apparently. Pub Fiction just seems like a weird place to take Ed Reed if you're AJ. Don't buy it, but it would be hilarious if McClain and Schefter were beat to the scoop by a bunch of drunk kids.

coon
03-15-2013, 03:19 AM

"Here I am" when he said that, it made me feel good inside. I don't know what it is about Ed Reed, but if he was in the secondary I would be significantly calmer when we are about to play Brady, or Manning in prime time.

htowntexans1985
03-15-2013, 06:26 AM
*repost

htowntexans1985
03-15-2013, 06:29 AM
*repost

NastyNate
03-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Adam Schefter @ AdamSchefter
One person in know said it's "50-50 at
best" that Ed Reed signs in Houston. A
return to Balt. still possible. SF and
IND loom as longshots.

For the love of all that is holy, please check the thread before posting. You're about eight pages late, this has been posted at least ten times already.

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 06:41 AM

According to the Houston Media, sounds like we shouldn't be excited at all. The guys on the radio are saying Ed's washed up.

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 06:44 AM
I also think some negotiating may be left to be made as far as Reed working out here in Houston instead of back in Miami.

I don't know why this would be such a big deal. Andre used to do it & as far as I know, it was his decision to start working out with the team. I'd have to believe if there was some camaraderie there in the locker room, he would naturally want to be here. If it's just a job, not so much. Either way is fine.

You'd like for that camaraderie to be there, but it doesn't make sense to force it. jmo.

PapaL
03-15-2013, 06:45 AM
By now AJ and Reed are out looking at futons. Ed will need a place to crash at. Why not stay w AJ? Hahaha. Millionaires futon shopping.

Lucky
03-15-2013, 06:46 AM
For the love of all that is holy, please check the thread before posting. You're about eight pages late, this has been posted at least ten times already.
Did you know that Adam Schefter tweeted that Ed Reed signing with the Texans is 50/50 at best. That's The Adam Schedter with an official tweet.

BTW, The General, John McClain, said on NFL AM this morning that he didn't think Reed was leaving Houston without a contract. But, he didn't tweet it, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Imatexanfan
03-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Man I'm just ready to find out officially. This waiting around shyte is for the birds...needa know sumthin like yesterday. I'm also thinking Eric Winston is on his way back from other news blogs..but hell what do they know.

GP
03-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Who's the other player you think we will sign?

Matt Turk.

Championship.

Rey
03-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Just heard on the radio that New England is still an option and might get involved. Of course a return to Baltimore is not been ruled out. Looks like San Fran had interest I don't know how much remains.

Thats quite a bit of love from some pretty good teams for a washed up has been can't do anything safety.

htowntexans1985
03-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Just heard on the radio that New England is still an option and might get involved. Of course a return to Baltimore is not been ruled out. Looks like San Fran had interest I don't know how much remains.

Thats quite a bit of love from some pretty good teams for a washed up has been can't do anything safety.

If belichick is involved. We're screwed.

Jackie Chiles
03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
If belichick is involved. We're screwed.

Signed,

Wes Welker

HoustonFrog
03-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Not being negative but why wouldn't he check his options. Go to SF, NE, etc and see how Baltimore reacts. He probably is torn with family there and at the same time is looking for contender/money.

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 08:19 AM
I don't know why this would be such a big deal. Andre used to do it & as far as I know, it was his decision to start working out with the team. I'd have to believe if there was some camaraderie there in the locker room, he would naturally want to be here. If it's just a job, not so much. Either way is fine.

You'd like for that camaraderie to be there, but it doesn't make sense to force it. jmo.

Didn't say it was a big deal. Sometimes small things/deals still need to be ironed out or agreed to though before someone wants to commit.

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Matt Turk.

Championship.

Hey, don't be toying with my emotions like that
:foottap:

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Matt Turk.

Championship.

Hey, don't be toying with my emotions like that
:foottap:No, seriously. A new member here heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy, but it won't happen if we sign Reed because there'd be no money left.

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm thinking if we don't hear something in the next hour or so, he's moving on to San Fran & won't be coming back.

BIG TORO
03-15-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm thinking if we don't hear something in the next hour or so, he's moving on to San Fran & won't be coming back.

I'm thinking your right.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I sure hope we're not using all our collective energy on this deal. They're probably not, but with no word of any other visits or contact it's beginning to make me wonder.

IMO, there's no way we can trot out rookie starters at multiple spots this season. OLB, ILB, WR, NT and possibly CB

NitroGSXR
03-15-2013, 09:00 AM
I sure hope we're not using all our collective energy on this deal. They're probably not, but with no word of any other visits or contact it's beginning to make me wonder.

IMO, there's no way we can trot out rookie starters at multiple spots this season. OLB, ILB, WR, NT and possibly CB

We're not going to. You're forgetting the June 1st cuts and the training camp cuts. We'll find a vet.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 09:02 AM
We're not going to. You're forgetting the June 1st cuts and the training camp cuts. We'll find a vet.

Most all of the teams have already designated their June 1 cuts.

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 09:03 AM

Enough that they'll have egg on their face for going so public in courting Reed. Wondering if some at Texans HQ are beginning to think they've been taken for a ride.

Rey
03-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Hopefully the delay is for an afternoon press conference. Makes sense.

You bring a player like Ed reed to Houston, and a regular old tweet doesn't really do it justice.

NitroGSXR
03-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Enough that they'll have egg on their face for going so public in courting Reed. Wondering if some at Texans HQ are beginning to think they've been taken for a ride.

Get with the program. As stated by TheApplePie....

Young(ish) safeties with upside like Delmas, Phillips, and LaRon Landry have already been signed yet the Texans are still entertaining Old Man River?

This reeks of another Asomugha or Bodden fiasco. The Texans are getting played. Again. And again... which is business as usual for an NFL team. Us fans are too emotionally attached.

Mr teX
03-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Hopefully the delay is for an afternoon press conference. Makes sense.

You bring a player like Ed reed to Houston, and a regular old tweet doesn't really do it justice.

possible...people are buging...last year with mario it took a couple of days before he officially signed.....him "waiting" for his fiance was just stalling type stuff. If Reed's still here, chances are thier just ironing out a few things.

Maddict5
03-15-2013, 09:27 AM
hes back at the stadium now per texans twitter... i would be gobsmacked if it didnt happen eventhough im only lukewarm at the prospect

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Ed Reed leaving town after wasting Rick's time and Bob McNair's jet fuel just to come down and hang out with 'Dre for a night.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8WiQKJFW55x-JFxRhHwOwWUV6RfcDW65cksgw0uSIF4usvA9Q0Q

76Texan
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
hes back at the stadium now per texans twitter... i would be gobsmacked if it didnt happen eventhough im only lukewarm at the prospect

Why? Worry about injury?

Maddict5
03-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Why? Worry about injury?

yes and age... i realise hes gonna bring playmaking ability, confidence and experience but can he still cover TE's etc (or can manning) and tackle like GQ did. hes gonna be a different type safety for sure. GQ was a very good all rounder but not much of a ballhawk. il wait until i see the numbers until my final opinion

Mr teX
03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
maybe this is why nothing happened yesterday...lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150939/article/did-pitbull-delay-an-ed-reedhouston-texans-contract

ItsMyFault
03-15-2013, 09:37 AM
maybe this is why nothing happened yesterday...lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150939/article/did-pitbull-delay-an-ed-reedhouston-texans-contract

That's Pancakes' theory.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 09:39 AM
yes and age... i realise hes gonna bring playmaking ability, confidence and experience but can he still cover TE's etc (or can manning) and tackle like GQ did. hes gonna be a different type safety for sure. GQ was a very good all rounder but not much of a ballhawk. il wait until i see the numbers until my final opinion

He still looks really good in the play-off game against the Colts I rewatched last night. Always where he's supposed to be, and didn't miss any tackle (even though according to PFF, he missed quite a few during the year.)

I also saw him breaking off the receiver he was covering (running with) in the middle to jump a side line route and almost intercepted the ball.

I was watching the CC game when I fell asleep, but at least through the first half, he looks pretty good with no mistake.

I don't recall him making any mistake in the SB either.

GP
03-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Ed Reed leaving town after wasting Rick's time and Bob McNair's jet fuel just to come down and hang out with 'Dre for a night.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8WiQKJFW55x-JFxRhHwOwWUV6RfcDW65cksgw0uSIF4usvA9Q0Q

If Ed Reed did end up leaving, then that would make to Duane Brown's tweet last night of "Enjoy the dinner, LOL.." and Chris Myers' tweet of "ha ha ha" expose that Ed and certain people, such as Duane and Chris, knew it was nothing more than a freebie for Ed.

Thoughts?

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Long and expensive courtship for a 35 year old

Rey
03-15-2013, 09:44 AM
What I'm hearing now is that reed is close to signing according to McClain and ravens insider. Supposedly the deal will be close to welkers.

badboy
03-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Listening to 610 radio and they interrupted dialogue to say McClain just tweeted : Reed still in town and McCkain expects him to sign today. FWIW.

badboy
03-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Huh? Where did you hear that?It was discussed on another thread this week. I'll try to find it.

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Long and expensive courtship for a 35 year old

Well, there ARE some 35-year olds I'd take the time to woo...
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODg3MzYwMjE4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU5NzAzNw@@._ V1._SY209_CR15,0,140,209_.jpg

DX-TEX
03-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Source predicts Ed Reed deal could be similar to how Wes Welker is structured in terms of length, guarantees. "It's very close," source says

Retweeted by John McClain

ChampionTexan
03-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Source predicts Ed Reed deal could be similar to how Wes Welker is structured in terms of length, guarantees. "It's very close," source says

Welker's contract was basically two years, $12 Million - all guaranteed, with a $6 Million cap hit each year. Also a small ($150,000) incentive clause.

steelbtexan
03-15-2013, 09:54 AM

If Reed can stay healthy and be the player he was 2 yrs ago against the Texans in the playoffs, (I think he can) and stay healthy, then he will be a major upgrade over GQ.

steelbtexan
03-15-2013, 09:56 AM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODg3MzYwMjE4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU5NzAzNw@@._ V1._SY209_CR15,0,140,209_.jpg

Many, LOL

Rey
03-15-2013, 09:57 AM
This is a passing league. Give me old man Ed reed over gq

Maddict5
03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
If Reed can stay healthy and be the player he was 2 yrs ago against the Texans in the playoffs, (I think he can) and stay healthy, then he will be a major upgrade over GQ.

that a massive if though.. IF matt schaub can be the player he was 3 years ago we're gravy too

steelbtexan
03-15-2013, 10:07 AM
He still looks really good in the play-off game against the Colts I rewatched last night. Always where he's supposed to be, and didn't miss any tackle (even though according to PFF, he missed quite a few during the year.)

I also saw him breaking off the receiver he was covering (running with) in the middle to jump a side line route and almost intercepted the ball.

I was watching the CC game when I fell asleep, but at least through the first half, he looks pretty good with no mistake.

I don't recall him making any mistake in the SB either.

The only question about Reed is can he stay healthy? We do know Reed will play hurt and is one of the best playmaking S to ever play the game. He's a HOF in my mind.

03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
The only question about Reed is can he stay healthy? We do know Reed will play hurt and is one of the best playmaking S to ever play the game. He's a HOF in my mind.

I think there's no doubt about him being a first ballot Hall of Famer from just about anybody who knows football.

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Oh no! Players challenged Harbaugh's decision? That's what you think a cancer is? We obviously have very different ideas of what cancers are in regard to the NFL. Most notably, guys that are extremely selfish, egomaniacs, lazy, constant distractions and couldn't care less about the team are what I consider cancers. Guys like Albert Haynesworth, Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco, Randy Moss, etc are notoriously said to be cancers. Now they weren't that way their entire careers, but you probably know what I'm talking about. Putting Ed Reed in that class for protesting practice with pads is just dumb. You're applying the term to make him look bad.

I never wrote that Ed Reed was a cancer- he stood up to th HC- the guy who stood with him was released; Ed is free to look around= you do the math.But don't say I said something I didn't.

Well good for you. Saying the guy is a cancer is pretty low though. He's been in that locker room long enough to where I would think he deserves better than assuming he's a cancer due to one incident or saying he was not a leader.

All I am saying is "Buyer beware" because of the mutiny incident, his declining skills.

badboy
03-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Huh? Where did you hear that?

Ok, thread was

Kevin Walter Cut
Views: 3,487 Posted By djohn2oo8
Re: Kevin Walter Cut

Texas Sports Review ‏@TexSportsReview
Michael Crabtree to #Texans MAYBE

@Zepp1978 honestly I highly doubt it but was told it may happen before NFC...

SAMURAITEXAN
03-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Day 2 in Houston for Ed Reed RT @HoustonTexans: Free agent S @TwentyER is back in the offices at Reliant Stadium this am

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
"I'm excited. I'm just hoping it all comes together & he'll be my new teammate." Andre Johnson on Ed Reed via @kjohnsonCSN #Texans

rolyat93
03-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Reed just followed Wade Phillips on twitter

Vinny
03-15-2013, 10:38 AM
I think there's no doubt about him being a first ballot Hall of Famer from just about anybody who knows football.

I was reading that he wants 7 mil a year or something along the lines of the Welker deal.

bckey
03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Reed just followed Wade Phillips on twitter

Hopefully that means he is linking up to his new coach.

bckey
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
I was reading that he wants 7 mil a year or something along the lines of the Welker deal.

Hey Vinny. I miss the days of Blaine Bishop.

03-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Yup, that's what I heard, too. BTW, I agree with you that this definitely feels a lot like the Ahman Green signing... I'm hoping I'm wrong though. I'm excited for all the wrong reasons (mainly that if he signed, he'd be the first ever Hall of Famer to ever wear a Texans uni).

Corrosion
03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Yup, that's what I heard, too. BTW, I agree with you that this definitely feels a lot like the Ahman Green signing... I'm hoping I'm wrong though. I'm excited for all the wrong reasons (mainly that if he signed, he'd be the first ever Hall of Famer to ever wear a Texans uni).

#80 begs to differ.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
If he signs here I sure hope we don't break the Top 10 Worst Free Agent Signings again in a couple years.

03-15-2013, 10:49 AM
#80 begs to differ.

As much as I love Dre, I'm not sure he'd be first-ballot material like Reed. Plus, Reed is older and would probably get inducted first anyhoo.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 10:49 AM
http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2013/03/ed-reed-the-missing-piece-for-the-texans/

Not much new, but at least it was Reed on Comcast last night talking about the situation.

Direct link to video, if you don't want to read.
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/reed-still-town-spending-night

Vinny
03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Hey Vinny. I miss the days of Blaine Bishop.
Or Marcus Robertson, Jeff Donaldson and Bo Eason. Mike Reinfelt and Vernon Perry....we always had superior S play back in the day. :)
Yup, that's what I heard, too. BTW, I agree with you that this definitely feels a lot like the Ahman Green signing... I'm hoping I'm wrong though. I'm excited for all the wrong reasons (mainly that if he signed, he'd be the first ever Hall of Famer to ever wear a Texans uni). I can get excited that he is here (if and when), but I think the FO is going to muck up our cap situation like a Wonka everlasting gobstopper.

NitroGSXR
03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Or Marcus Robertson, Jeff Donaldson and Bo Eason. Mike Reinfelt and Vernon Perry....we always had superior S play back in the day. :)
I can get excited that he is here (if and when), but I think the FO is going to muck up our cap situation like a Wonka everlasting gobstopper.

No mention of Bubba?!?!?!

03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
I can get excited that he is here (if and when), but I think the FO is going to muck up our cap situation like a Wonka everlasting gobstopper.

Right on.

The1ApplePie
03-15-2013, 10:57 AM
#80 begs to differ.

Considering how the Hall treats WRs, I would think his chances are slim.

Randy Moss and TO would be ahead of him in the waiting line at least.

Yankee_In_TX
Ugggh, the wife mentioned Ahman Green this morning. Don't make me cringe.

I'm really starting to feel (glass half empty guy here):
(a) he's using us to get a homerun contract elsewhere
(b) we're going to sign him to a 4-5 year deal for over $5m/year

People are getting giddy over the name, but the same people seem to be forgetting we're in the midst of salary cap Hell.

I really hope IF we sign him to a big deal I am wrong and he goes out there and gives us 2-3 years of Pro Bowl play.

Considering how the Hall treats WRs, I would think his chances are slim.

Randy Moss and TO would be ahead of him in the waiting line at least.

Agreed. Dre's TD #'s are lacking. This isn't necessarily his fault or anything, but still.

Vinny
03-15-2013, 11:03 AM

People are getting giddy over the name, but the same people seem to be forgetting we're in the midst of salary cap Hell.

I really hope IF we sign him to a big deal I am wrong and he goes out there and gives us 2-3 years of Pro Bowl play.
If you splice together the Ahman Green situation with the Orlando Pace situation...that's kind of the feel I get to this whole thing myself. Even if we sign him we will overpay the guy to the point where we will be in a bind soon with Cushing and KJ coming up next season and Watt shortly after that. I think on the radio I heard that Schaub, AJ, Foster and Daniels will take up 40% of the cap next season. This from a "low cost offensive philosophy".

TexansCountry
03-15-2013, 11:08 AM
First time posting! I would love to have reed. He brings so much more to the table than quin did. Yes he is up there in age but the guy can still play. I just hope him and Tate stay away from each other in practice lol

dalemurphy
03-15-2013, 11:09 AM
If you splice together the Ahman Green situation with the Orlando Pace situation...that's kind of the feel I get to this whole thing myself. Even if we sign him we will overpay the guy to the point where we will be in a bind soon with Cushing and KJ coming up next season and Watt shortly after that. I think on the radio I heard that Schaub, AJ, Foster and Daniels will take up 40% of the cap next season. This from a "low cost offensive philosophy".

That number isn't accurate. Closer to 30%. However, I think Daniels gets cut next year (saves about $5 mil after the cap hit for his bonus). Schaub and Foster haven't restructured yet. I'm sure they will do so as/if needed. Antonio Smith and Wade Smith come off the books next year which saves about $13.5 mil on the cap.

Big Lou

Thats what I'm sayen!!!!!

hookinreds

Reinfelt, Bubba, and Vernon Perry...sweet music!

Lurvinator11
03-15-2013, 11:10 AM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Breaking News!!! Chronicle exclusive!!! My sources tell me Ed Reed is . . . in the restroom!!! Ridiculous times, huh?

Pancakes with the troll

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 11:10 AM
That number isn't accurate. Closer to 30%. However, I think Daniels gets cut next year (saves about $5 mil after the cap hit for his bonus). Schaub and Foster haven't restructured yet. I'm sure they will do so as/if needed. Antonio Smith and Wade Smith come off the books next year which saves about $13.5 mil on the cap.

This topic probably deserves its own thread, but I wonder how the cap looks for consistently successful teams. Do they have situations where ~10% of the cap goes to two, three, four guys? Just curious.

TexansCountry
03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
I would rather see OD restructure his deal rather than be cut at least until we have more weapons at wide out. Andres already putting in a lot of work

bigbrewster2000
03-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Okay people salary cap hell would be if the Texans were 20 or 30 mil over the cap with a bunch of mediocre players on the roster and no real way to bolster our roster not being 10-12 million under the cap with plenty of talent and still at the very least in the ball park of Super Bowl contention.

Here is another thing, we are a contender. Contenders don't normally get used by free agents to bolster a contract somewhere else. Contenders are destination locations for free agents. I can understand some of you guys freaking out about it because the Texans were used before by FA's but not since we became contenders.

bckey
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Thats too much for Reed at this point in his career. He will be 35 at the start of the season. Thats up there for a safety. Maybe if he would take a 1-2 year deal for 4-5 million with a signing bonus. Even then, Cushing is gonna get paid and the Texans need to make sure they have the cap room to do it.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 11:18 AM
This topic probably deserves its own thread, but I wonder how the cap looks for consistently successful teams. Do they have situations where ~10% of the cap goes to two, three, four guys? Just curious.

Depending on teams; some are in worse shape like the Lions or the Broncos going forward.

76Texan
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Thats too much for Reed at this point in his career. He will be 35 at the start of the season. Thats up there for a safety. Maybe if he would take a 1-2 year deal for 4-5 million with a signing bonus. Even then, Cushing is gonna get paid and the Texans need to make sure they have the cap room to do it.

Like DM said, Wade Smith will be gone, perhaps Antonio too (or get paid less due to age.)

We will always be tight, but manageable.

False Start
03-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Well, that put a damper on my outlook... :( :kitten:

Vinny
03-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Thats too much for Reed at this point in his career. He will be 35 at the start of the season. Thats up there for a safety. Maybe if he would take a 1-2 year deal for 4-5 million with a signing bonus. Even then, Cushing is gonna get paid and the Texans need to make sure they have the cap room to do it.next year will be year 12 for Reed. I think that in a year they lose Ray Lewis, and Kruger....why create another hole in he defense? They have no S starters if Reed doesn't come back. The Ratbird defense was awful last season.

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Depending on teams; some are in worse shape like the Lions or the Broncos going forward.

Well OK, but I said consistently successful teams. Think Patriots, Steelers, and/or pre-Flacco-contract Ravens, for example. Or the Colts during Manning's time, when we know they had a bunch tied up in one contract.

Anyway, as I said, just curious.

panamamyers
03-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Agreed. Dre's TD #'s are lacking. This isn't necessarily his fault or anything, but still.

By the time Andre is eligible, I feel that people will put TD numbers in their rightful place next to RBI numbers in baseball.
Cris Carter gets 5 catches for 42 yards in a game with a 1 yard td and a 3 yard td, while Andre gets 6 catches for 115 yards and two times he gets tackled after the huge catch at the 3 yard line and Arian runs it in on the next play.

TD catches are completely incidental to your ability on the field. In the near future, I have faith that people will come to their senses about that, and we will look back on these times when we held TD numbers in high regard about how we look back on the notion that the earth is the center of the universe.

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 11:30 AM
This is a passing league. Give me old man Ed reed over gq

Eh... again, we're talking two different players, two different styles. Personally, I'd rather GQ & LaRon Landry Playing up & Danieal Manning playing Ed Reed's role.

But... I want Ed Reed, because I'm tired of waiting for my players to nutt up & take what's theirs.

If he signs here I sure hope we don't break the Top 10 Worst Free Agent Signings again in a couple years.

You can't worry about that crap. The guy who wrote that list has no idea what it takes to make a FA signing happen & has no idea what the repercussions are if it didn't work, or if it failed.

Jjo & Manning could have been complete busts, but Smith & Kubiak could have said.... "look boss, it's not like I didn't try."

If we're on that list, for a second time, I don't see how our fans can say our F.O. don't try, don't understand, or aren't interested in winning.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Man, it would suck if he Jake'd us.

Jake Long leaving the Rams with no deal after being wined and dined for 3 days.

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 11:33 AM

WTF?!?!

[runs to Google]
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRypv1AV8qNtPyW4bXR1AyRJ-i6SBPHK-MDtYA0eHRI00wY5Zjnrw
Vinny
...you actually made an obscure movie reference unknown to me.

Okay, back to agonizing about our F/A situation.

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
By the time Andre is eligible, I feel that people will put TD numbers in their rightful place next to RBI numbers in baseball.
Cris Carter gets 5 catches for 42 yards in a game with a 1 yard td and a 3 yard td, while Andre gets 6 catches for 115 yards and two times he gets tackled after the huge catch at the 3 yard line and Arian runs it in on the next play.

TD catches are completely incidental to your ability on the field. In the near future, I have faith that people will come to their senses about that, and we will look back on these times when we held TD numbers in high regard about how we look back on the notion that the earth is the center of the universe.

There's only one problem with that theory. The stats don't bear it out.

Jerry Rice took 116.2 yards to get a TD over the course of his career. Cris Carter took only 106.9 yards. Terrell Owens took only 104.1 yards. Randy Moss only took 98 yards. Andre Johnson has to get a whopping 200.9 yards to get one TD. He's twice as inefficient at getting TDs as Randy Moss and nearly twice as inefficient as the others I listed. Andre Reed, who isn't in yet, managed to get a TD every 151.7 yards. Tim Brown managed it every 149.3.

TexansCountry

I completely agree. TDs should be looked at but not the way they are when looking at wrs to get in. There's no reason Andre Reed should still be waiting. The way Andre has impacted multiple games I feel he will wind up in the same situation

ASidd_1990
Ok, thread was

Kevin Walter Cut
Views: 3,487 Posted By djohn2oo8
Re: Kevin Walter Cut

Michael Crabtree to #Texans MAYBE

@Zepp1978 honestly I highly doubt it but was told it may happen before NFC...

He's still under contract I believe so if we were to acquire him it would have to be via trade. That isn't the Texans MO. They never trade for star WR's....their philosophy whether you like it or not is build through the draft. Plus they think Posey and Martin are the future for some odd reason.

Yankee_In_TX

Sure! Manning, Brady, Brees..... And some how Flacco....

I think the modern model, with a few exceptions is the QB's hold the franchise hostage. So you better have a damned good one.

GP
03-15-2013, 11:40 AM
It would be awesome if Rick and Gary and Wade were on a press conference stage...they announce it this way:

"We are excited to announce the signing of a great Pro Bowl player we think will help us get to the next level of play....welcome to our team Mr. Ed Reed."

In walks Ed, lots of clapping and handshaking and photos snapping off.

They talk for a bit, give Ed the spotlight for awhile.

Then Rick takes the mic and says this, "Oh by the way, we'd like to announce that we've also signed another player too. Please welcome to the stage Mr. ______." Same routine, giving the 2nd guy time to talk.

Then Rick takes the mic, says "Oh yeah, before we dismiss I'd like to announce ANOTHER free agent signing. Please welcome Mr. ______."

The clapping dies down, and Rick still has the mic and he says "We have made some moves that allowed us to grab these three players. We're surrounding our core with more veteran talent. And we're going to absolutely kill it in the draft, Ray Lewis style. Suckas." Then he drops the mic like it's hot. Boom.

LOL. Bored on a Friday, why not play make-believe for a moment for the fun of it? Three FA signings and Rick putting teams on notice that we still have the draft, too. Would be an epic Friday.

Yankee_In_TX
03-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Okay people salary cap hell would be if the Texans were 20 or 30 mil over the cap with a bunch of mediocre players on the roster and no real way to bolster our roster not being 10-12 million under the cap with plenty of talent and still at the very least in the ball park of Super Bowl contention.

Here is another thing, we are a contender. Contenders don't normally get used by free agents to bolster a contract somewhere else. Contenders are destination locations for free agents. I can understand some of you guys freaking out about it because the Texans were used before by FA's but not since we became contenders.

Oh, I don't want Ed Reed here unless he signs a contract that all the rumors out there point to he wouldn't even wipe his bum with.

I think being 10-12 under with all the holes we have to fill that if we took a 4-6 mil (guessing) cap hit for Reed that would be a mistake short terms and a huge mistake long term.

b0ng
03-15-2013, 11:41 AM
A lot more positivity on twitter about a deal getting done with Reed today than there was last night.

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 11:42 AM

I think the modern model, with a few exceptions is the QB's hold the franchise hostage. So you better have a damned good one.

Yep. But what I'm curious about is if you have that QB that you've locked up 10% or more of your salary cap, how many more players can you afford to assign that high a cap number? I think two is even too high, but having four players chewing up 40% of your cap? That's a recipe for failure, IMO.

handswarmer
next year will be year 12 for Reed. I think that in a year they lose Ray Lewis, and Kruger....why create another hole in he defense? They have no S starters if Reed doesn't come back. The Ratbird defense was awful last season.

It was hurt most of the season- Suggs, Lewis, Ngata, Webb (ACL- missed 8 games and playoffs), Pollard, Reed...

a lot of missed games on the Defensive side.

ASidd_1990
It would be awesome if Rick and Gary and Wade were on a press conference stage...they announce it this way:

"We are excited to announce the signing of a great Pro Bowl player we think will help us get to the next level of play....welcome to our team Mr. Ed Reed."

In walks Ed, lots of clapping and handshaking and photos snapping off.

They talk for a bit, give Ed the spotlight for awhile.

Then Rick takes the mic and says this, "Oh by the way, we'd like to announce that we've also signed another player too. Please welcome to the stage Mr. ______." Same routine, giving the 2nd guy time to talk.

Then Rick takes the mic, says "Oh yeah, before we dismiss I'd like to announce ANOTHER free agent signing. Please welcome Mr. ______."

The clapping dies down, and Rick still has the mic and he says "We have made some moves that allowed us to grab these three players. We're surrounding our core with more veteran talent. And we're going to absolutely kill it in the draft, Ray Lewis style. Suckas." Then he drops the mic like it's hot. Boom.

LOL. Bored on a Friday, why not play make-believe for a moment for the fun of it? Three FA signings and Rick putting teams on notice that we still have the draft, too. Would be an epic Friday.

Then all three of them would start celebrating like Bosh-Wade-LeBron did when they got together....with smoke and everything!

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 11:45 AM
I am convinced Ed Reed is still the same player he once was.

I have to believe the reason the Ravens didn't want to re-sign him was because of in house issues. There were rumors the players formed a mutiny earlier in the season led by Pollard and Reed. Makes me think Reed was disrespected by them same way Welker felt about the Patriots FO.

handswarmer
03-15-2013, 11:45 AM

This article says about 15% is devoted to those guys...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9052336/the-joe-flacco-contract-fallout

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM

And when you're wrong?

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Haha well GP accoring to BOP we will be signing Winston, Reed and pollard haha. He says we would all be surprised at what he does. LOL although i would love to sign reed and get Winston back.

handswarmer

I have to believe the reason the Ravens didn't want to re-sign him was because of in house issues. There were rumors the players formed a mutiny earlier in the season led by Pollard and Reed. Makes me think Reed was disrespected by them same way Welker felt about the Patriots FO.

Ed has played te "Franchise hasdisrespected me" Card every season since 09

HOU-TEX
And when you're wrong?

He'll eat his hat?

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
He'll eat his hat?

:popcorn:

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Damn Greg Koch on 790 just blasting this move.

Some quotes from him

1) Ed Reed might be a liability at this point
2) Glover Quin is the better player
3) Ed Reed should have retired already
4) Ozzie Newsome, one of best GMs in league wants to get rid of him. He knows something!
5) If you want leadership from a HOF, just sign Dan Marino while you're at it
6) "not excited" when Kalu said everyone's excited about signing Ed Reed
7) Not worth $6 million

Also bet ND Kalu that Reed will be on the IR by Week 8.

Funniest quote which made me SMH : "He's old, slow and eating pudding before he goes to bed at 4pm"

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM

Some quotes from him

4) Ozzie Newsome, one of best GMs in league wants to get rid of him. He knows something!
7) Not worth $6 million

Funniest quote which made me SMH : "He's old, slow and eating pudding before he goes to bed at 4pm"

I think I have intimated most of those statements in this thread. Damn, I should have a radio show! :D

badboy
03-15-2013, 11:52 AM
He's still under contract I believe so if we were to acquire him it would have to be via trade. That isn't the Texans MO. They never trade for star WR's....their philosophy whether you like it or not is build through the draft. Plus they think Posey and Martin are the future for some odd reason.Got to disagree with you. We got Schaub and Myers via trade. Texans will use all options & remember Boldin cost only a 6th so that groundwork was laid by SF.

Edit: you did say star WR but no one has been available with possibility of low draft pick that Crabtree might take.

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
This article says about 15% is devoted to those guys...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9052336/the-joe-flacco-contract-fallout

Interesting closing remark from that article...

So get used to heartsick caterwauling about roster teardowns (it sounds like Velcro ripping). And get used to seeing quarterbacks continuing to get paid at an out-sized rate. The prevailing wisdom in the NFL right now is you can't win without 'em. And that's true. It's just hard to keep teams together with them.

Makes me sick. How much will those investments be worth if you can't afford to pay a decent line to protect them or some good receivers to catch their passes??

Things are going in a stupid direction.

Ryan
03-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Since it has taken this long i'm now starting to get the Orlando Pace feeling just a little bit.

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Some quotes from him

7) Not worth $6 million

What's a Greg Koch?
And is 790 still on the air?

JCTexan
03-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Some quotes from him

7) Not worth $6 million

Crazy thought process. Ozzie Newsome, one of the best GMs in the league, has let Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, Bolden, Pollard & Cory Williams all leave in one off-season. Should every team who signed a player from the Ravens be concerned because Ozzie Newsome let him go?

TexansCountry
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Since it has taken this long i'm now starting to get the Orlando Pace feeling just a little bit.

I'm beginning to get the same feeling. If Reed wanted to play here as bad as it was made out to be it would have been announced by now. Unless they are waiting to sign that mysterious player that keeps getting brought up.

Double Barrel
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM

Man, blasts from the past. I met Bo Eason about ten years ago when he was performing his one-man play, "Runt of the Litter (http://boeason.com/runt.html)". It was a fantastic performance and was all about his football career. He was always in the shadow of his big brother, so he played with reckless abandon. It was very cool insight to the mind of a defensive football player.

infantrycak
03-15-2013, 11:59 AM
If you splice together the Ahman Green situation with the Orlando Pace situation...that's kind of the feel I get to this whole thing myself. Even if we sign him we will overpay the guy to the point where we will be in a bind soon with Cushing and KJ coming up next season and Watt shortly after that.

I don't get the Eyore attitude. It's like there is nothing which can be done will be satisfactory. If he leaves we were just being played. If he signs we overpaid.

Assuming you mean top cap hit guys the answer is no probably even with two players. Who do you consider consistently successful? Brady is over 10% by himself as are Peyton, Brees, Big Ben, Eli and Rodgers.

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm beginning to get the same feeling. If Reed wanted to play here as bad as it was made out to be it would have been announced by now. Unless they are waiting to sign that mysterious player that keeps getting brought up.

Most likely they are waiting for the 2nd FA to finalize his deal so they can have a joint press conference with him and Reed at Reliant.

Makes sense since the Rodeo is over.

GlassHalfFull
03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Most likely they are waiting for the 2nd FA to finalize his deal so they can have a joint press conference with him and Reed at Reliant.

Makes sense since the Rodeo is over.

Dayum. My tickets for tonight are fake????

Rodeo runs thru Sunday.

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Crazy thought process. Ozzie Newsome, one of the best GMs in the league, has let Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, Bolden, Pollard & Cory Williams all leave in one off-season. Should every team who signed a player from the Ravens be concerned because Ozzie Newsome let him go?

That's the one point I think people are mistaken on. Ozzie Newsome has been a good GM the last several years, but he's had monetary flexibility from his QB position. This is the first time he's had to tie up a huge amount in one player, and the cuts are following. Going forward, we'll see just how good he really is. I think people are giving him too much credit for past success that doesn't necessarily translate going forward. We'll see.

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Dayum. My tickets for tonight are fake????

Rodeo runs thru Sunday.

how long have you been lurking?
:ahhaha:

steelbtexan
03-15-2013, 12:03 PM

This tells me Rick/Olson dont have a clue as to how to manage the cap.

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 12:05 PM

7) Not worth $6 millionNever heard of Greg Koch, but...

Quin is better against the run, Reed better in coverage. Both were "middle of the pack" overall in 2012.

I think the number is $7 million, and I would pay that much if I were the Texans.

I don't think Reed missed a game in the last 2 years.

First time posting! I would love to have reed. He brings so much more to the table than quin did. Yes he is up there in age but the guy can still play. I just hope him and Tate stay away from each other in practice lolWelcome to TexansTalk!

GlassHalfFull
03-15-2013, 12:07 PM
how long have you been lurking?
:ahhaha:

Ha, I read the board everyday. But the offseason hasn't inspired me to post. :swatter:

IDEXAN
03-15-2013, 12:09 PM
What's a Greg Koch?

A 10 year NFL Vet and Hall-Of-Fame OT with the GB freaking Packers, what's a
ObsiWan ?

TexansCountry
03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Never heard of Greg Koch, but...

Quin is better against the run, Reed better in coverage. Both were "middle of the pack" overall in 2012.

I think the number is $7 million, and I would pay that much if I were the Texans.

I don't think Reed missed a game in the last 2 years.

Welcome to TexansTalk!

Thanks! Been a huge fan of this forum for awhile now. Extremely happy to be here

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Assuming you mean top cap hit guys the answer is no probably even with two players. Who do you consider consistently successful? Brady is over 10% by himself as are Peyton, Brees, Big Ben, Eli and Rodgers.

Brady isn't anymore, and hasn't been for a large part of his career. The only reason I pick that nit is because it's central to my point. I think the Patriots were able to spread the cap around a bit and keep their overall talent level up because they had one of the best QBs in the game playing for a very low contract. Back when they were winning Super Bowls and people were bagging on Manning for failing in the playoffs, Manning had a $100M contract, while Brady's was something in the $55Mish range, IIRC. Brady got paid a $100M contract a couple years later. But he just signed a 3yr, $27M extension (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/).

For the second time in his illustrious career, Brady is doing something players in this day and age simply do not do: As he did in 2005, Brady, a league source told SI.com, is signing a contract with New England that will pay him significantly less money than the market will bear, in large part to help the Patriots stay competitive for the next five seasons.

Amazingly, according to the source, the deal is for an eye-poppingly conservative $27 million, which is less than half his worth by any measure.

Anyway, at first blush, it just seems like the teams that have the highest paid player seldom actually do much. In the Texans' case, it's possible that they soon might have a highly paid QB (though not the highest), just because QBs get a ton of money, the highest paid DL, one of the top 3 highest paid LBers, a very highly paid LT, a very highly paid RB, and a very highly paid WR. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the other highly paid DL, the very highly paid C, or the probably overpaid TE. Nor does it leave a lot of room to resign the guy s that they drafted and coached up, so building through the draft kind of becomes an effort in futility.

And in the end, that doesn't leave a lot of room to pay $6M a year to an old, slow safety.

NitroGSXR
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks! Been a huge fan of this forum for awhile now. Extremely happy to be here

And I'm happy to have another fan here! Welcome! May you post well.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Welcome on board TexansCountry.

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Quin is better against the run, Reed better in coverage.

Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%
Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457

Grams
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't think we should over pay for him, but he does bring the experience, maturity and intelligence that a lot of good player do not have. He may have lost a step, but his slow step is a hell of a lot better than the majority of players out there.

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 12:23 PM

I'm not a big metrics guy, but I wonder if that number is somewhat reflective of Reed playing with some pretty suspect corners most of the year last year. Could be a man coverage evaluation though so I'm just throwing caution to the wind regarding those numbers.

TexansCountry
03-15-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't think we should over pay for him, but he does bring the experience, maturity and intelligence that a lot of good player do not have. He may have lost a step, but his slow step is a hell of a lot better than the majority of players out there.

Agree. Huff? Ima die hard UT Fan and no don't want him. Woodson? If we signed I would want him as the slot corner not safety

infantrycak
03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Brady isn't anymore

Yes he is. His cap hit for 2013 is $13.8 mil which is more than 10% of the cap.

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm not a big metrics guy, but I wonder if that number is somewhat reflective of Reed playing with some pretty suspect corners most of the year last year.

I more or less expressed the same reservations about the numbers myself. You never know how a surrounding cast truly impacts individual numbers. But evidently, there's another metrics type scoring system out there that ranked GQ right about average for the entire year and Ed Reed substantially below average. Both of those combined with my own eye test tell me that GQ is the better player now (even if that's just average) and going forward I expect that to continue.

We're just looking at Ed Reed a few years too late. But also as I said, if they sign him for less than what GQ got paid/what they wanted to pay GQ, then hey, I'm down with it. But I think they're going to overpay.

76Texan

I just know that I done watching the wild card game, the divisional game and half of the CC game, and Reed looked pretty good.
He did miss a tackle, but Pollard was supposed to cut off the outside, and he didn't.

I would say I take Reed over Quin.

Obviously, you'd like to look at the whole body of work; however, with veteran players like Reed, all that matters (to me at least) is money time... What with all the fishy things going in the NFL.

I'd rather have a one-two year deal for less than $6M per.
I might go for 3 if he insists, but not much money up front, and some incentives in the contract (like AJ).

You've got to take a risk sometimes, just don't over-extend yourself, than I would be cool with it.

eriadoc
Yes he is. His cap hit for 2013 is $13.8 mil which is more than 10% of the cap.

If you say so. I don't claim to be a capologist. Is that number updated after yesterday's contract?

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 12:28 PM
A 10 year NFL Vet and Hall-Of-Fame OT with the GB freaking Packers, what's a
ObsiWan ?

Some guy you just answered.

And in 11 years Greg Koch made second team All-Pro ONCE, not the Hall of Fame. Big diff.

eriadoc
03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Some guy you just answered.

And in 11 years Greg Koch made second team All-Pro ONCE, not the Hall of Fame. Big diff.

He made the Packers HOF. Kind of like their ring of honor. He'll never sniff the main HOF.

Texn4life
03-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I more or less expressed the same reservations about the numbers myself. You never know how a surrounding cast truly impacts individual numbers. But evidently, there's another metrics type scoring system out there that ranked GQ right about average for the entire year and Ed Reed substantially below average. Both of those combined with my own eye test tell me that GQ is the better player now (even if that's just average) and going forward I expect that to continue.

We're just looking at Ed Reed a few years too late. But also as I said, if they sign him for less than what GQ got paid/what they wanted to pay GQ, then hey, I'm down with it. But I think they're going to overpay.

I think they may have felt GQ was as good as he was going to get possibly. As far as the numbers go, I can't really dispute it much. Reed has always given up big plays. Its just part of the way he plays and he'll give up a few here because he gambles some. I think the FO is betting that his intangible factor far outweighs what GQ would bring to the table. GP said it pretty well last night. Its going to be boom or bust.