PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

BullNation4Life
03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
All I'm saying is if you want an expensive FS who doesn't wrap up, then I think you're a year too late in getting your money's worth. $6 Million is the rumored asking price. Isn't that 2/3 of your cap space?

That tendency card works both ways, by the way. Flacco's been practicing against Reed for five years now.

touche! :cowboy1:

Cap space is I think $11 million but I feel getting a FS like Reed for 2-3 years for that price is worth it especially if he can mentor a drafted FS at that position to help take his position when he is done.

HoustonRaven
03-14-2013, 01:41 PM
The Texans didn't exactly need Reed in 2012 to make the Ravens look silly. I doubt it's a move specifically designed to target what the Texans can do to the Ravens. I think this is more of an idea that they can make the secondary better (Which I do believe Reed is better in coverage than Quin, even with the disparity in their ages).

Not sure what your one win out of seven tries has anything to do with my overall point.

Doesn't change the fact of the larger picture of 2/3 of your cap space is about to be placed on the past glory of Reed. Sounds an awful lot like a move for the Redskins of the 90's.

Look, the Texans are my number two team and Reed is one of my all time favorite Ravens. He isn't worth $6 Million at this point in his career or for a team that's on the cusp of greatness.

HoustonRaven
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
They don't have billboards every half mile in Baltimore?

Lol. No.

95 is rather scenic actually into and out of the city. Not very many billboards at all.

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
All I'm saying is if you want an expensive FS who doesn't wrap up, then I think you're a year too late in getting your money's worth. $6 Million is the rumored asking price. Isn't that 2/3 of your cap space?

$6 million per???

Tell me we can't get Rhodes or Huff for that kind of money? Not digging it.

Huff’s Versatility (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/13/on-the-market-huff-and-heyward-bey/)

We see many safeties double as slot corners in sub packages but it’s very rare that a safety can make the move to a traditional cornerback role and have success. That’s exactly what Huff did in Week 3 when injuries forced the move to left cornerback. The Pittsburgh Steelers attacked him often (completing eight of the 11 balls thrown his way), but they were mostly of the short variety and Huff’s -3.1 grade in that game stemmed mostly from his three missed tackles.

After the tough first game, Huff continued to show improvement and seemed to make the position switch official when he picked up three passes defensed and an interception (and a +2.3 coverage grade) against the Atlanta Falcons’ wide receiver duo of Roddy White and Julio Jones in Week 6. Huff finished the season at cornerback and graded at +2.1 at his new home. It was an impressive performance as he performed admirably at a position where most safeties would be exploited.

When you add it all up, opponents completed only 53 percent of passes into Huff’s coverage and he finished with nine passes defensed and two interceptions. All of this came two years removed from Huff grading at +17.2 as our No. 2 safety in the league, and one year removed from his strong play when filling in as the team’s slot cornerback. He’s essentially succeeded in three different positions over a three-year period.

Any team looking to sign Huff will likely put him back at his more natural spot at safety, but his experience playing in the slot and on the outside will prove invaluable. In a league that covets versatility, Oakland’s releasing Huff may have vaulted him to the top of the free agent safety rankings.

b0ng
They don't have billboards every half mile in Baltimore?

Or Titty Bars every 200 feet?

ObsiWan
Greg Koch ‏@gregkoch1
"@McClain_on_NFL: Ed Reed arrives in Houston, calls #Texans "classy." Also says ride down I45 from Bush to Kirby the most scenic drive ever

They had TexanBill arrange for the In-Limo "entertainment". Ed Reed never looked out of the windows.
:D

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
When is this gonna be finalized?

Starting to get anxious now.

kcdoubleeagle
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Greg Koch ‏@gregkoch1
"@McClain_on_NFL: Ed Reed arrives in Houston, calls #Texans "classy." Also says ride down I45 from Bush to Kirby the most scenic drive ever

Strip Clubs are very scenic.

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
When is this gonna be finalized?

Starting to get anxious now.

this whole patience thing is beyond you, isn't it?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7uuzdIk7UdciRvXWeEypi82wXjDEkw ZWwlPHrPahXutpthdOZ

b0ng
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Not sure what your one win out of seven tries has anything to do with my overall point.

Doesn't change the fact of the larger picture of 2/3 of your cap space is about to be placed on the past glory of Reed. Sounds an awful lot like a move for the Redskins of the 90's.

Look, the Texans are my number two team and Reed is one of my all time favorite Ravens. He isn't worth $6 Million at this point in his career or for a team that's on the cusp of greatness.

The Texans have yet to re-structure any deals at all (Antonio Smith, possibly Schaub's and a few others) and $6m is not some cap crippling number here. Arguing about whether a player is worth $4m or $5m or $6m is just bean counting at this point and we haven't seen what a new deal between Reed and the Texans would look like yet. Hell, there's still a decent possibility that he doesn't even sign with the Texans!

The original point I was making though was that even if Flacco has been practicing against Reed for 5 years, this move is not designed to take down the SB winning Ravens team (Which is something the Texans accomplished in their SB winning year). It would be designed to get another crafty veteran player into the mix in the secondary, which is not a bad thing for this Texans team.

Norg
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
then drive from I-45 down to kirby hmmmm LOL

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Brent Harris‏@BrentCSN
Texans putting full court press on Ed Reed... Want him to take physical and sign before he leaves Houston. #RavensTalk

b0ng
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
$6 million per???

Tell me we can't get Rhodes or Huff for that kind of money? Not digging it.

Isn't Adrian Wilson on the market too?

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM

More Strong Safety, like Manning.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Kelli Johnson (@kjohnsoncsn)
Again sources close 2 Ed Reed last night told me he wants to come to Houston! Texans are his top choice..

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
this whole patience thing is beyond you, isn't it?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7uuzdIk7UdciRvXWeEypi82wXjDEkw ZWwlPHrPahXutpthdOZ

Don't want another Leigh Bodden situation on our hands.

We cant have him leave Houston without a signed contract.

MistaRed
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
If he signs there's a 99.9% chance that Texans @ Ravens will be a primetime game.

htownfan32
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Shyt, stop reading sports news for four days and this is what happens. Quin and Casey gone, Walter cut. :toropalm:

Sign Reed or Woodson. If Keo is our starter going into 2013, all hope is lost.

b0ng
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
More Strong Safety, like Manning.

I was pretty sure Manning is our FS here, and was a big reason of why he came here?

Yankee_In_TX
03-14-2013, 02:03 PM
1. He's got his ring, he's close to retirement, how much fire would he have?
2. He had a sub par 2012 season
3. Go on the Ravens forum, they wanted him freakin' benched he was doing so bad
4. He'll probably want too much money anyway
5. His hair

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks we would over pay him.

6. His beard
7. Looking like a homeless man because or 5 and 6.

Seriously, if he comes in for a lower figure one year or two year deal, sure. We're already cap strapped and I don't want to through a Brink's truck at him. If his contract any where nears GQ I would much rather have kept GQ.

fiasco west
03-14-2013, 02:11 PM
This team needs the leadership on the field.

I really don't care that he's not the same Ed Reed. Obviously.

You know what? Andre Johnson is not the same Andre Johnson either. That's alright, if you look at the great teams they have had great vet leaders playing on the field.

I think the team lost too many vets going into last season and learned that lesson. Also I still feel like last years Reed was better than last years Quinn. Quinn got beat deep a lot by making mental mistakes. Reed's speed may not be there but is he going to make those same mistakes? He will hopefully make the secondary smarter.

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 02:13 PM
I was pretty sure Manning is our FS here, and was a big reason of why he came here?

He was, but had only 3 starts at FS and the rest at SS in 2012. Reed is(was) the prototypical FS and will play there wherever he goes, imo.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Ed Reed thrilled GM Rick Smith brought him to Houston for a visit on Bob McNair's jet: "It's that southern hospitality Just a great feeling"

Wat's he gonna say?

"man that private plane sucks. Food sucked. carpet smelled and the chick on the flight was ugly as shyte...."

b0ng
03-14-2013, 02:15 PM
John McClain has a lengthy piece:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/03/ed-reed-arrives-in-houston-calls-texans-classy/

“It’s mutual,” Reed said about his interest in the Texans. “Both of us are contenders and want to get a championship, but we still have some things to work out.

“Conversations have been great, amazing. We’re on the same page as far as what we need to get done.”

If Reed signs with the Texans, as many around the NFL are predicting, he will be close to New Orleans, his hometown.

“It would mean a lot,” Reed said. “My family’s already been calling. It’s a great feeling to know what the possibilities would be as far as what could happen (if he signs with the Texans).”

not a full copy n paste

deucetx
03-14-2013, 02:16 PM

You know what? Andre Johnson is not the same Andre Johnson either. That's alright, if you look at the great teams they have had great vet leaders playing on the field.

I think the team lost too many vets going into last season and learned that lesson. Also I still feel like last years Reed was better than last years Quinn. Quinn got beat deep a lot by making mental mistakes. Reed's speed may not be there but is he going to make those same mistakes? He will hopefully make the secondary smarter.

I'm not sure on Reed because Wade likes his safties interchangeable and if it is Reed then that won't be the case since he's over the top safety at this point. At the same time this was an excellent point. The team really could use the leadership and playmaking abilities. We all saw the lack of leadership in some of the shell shocked games we had past season and the big awe look against the Patriots.

...Not to mention the times we couldn't even line up correctly. Having two veteran safties to make those calls and Cushing should make us look less...inept in those situations.

jukhan
03-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Good thing they did not fly into Hobby.

haha yeah, Hobby is crap. He probably would have left after seeing it.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:19 PM
One thing Ed can do, that Mario NEVER did: He inspires people. He's a model of determination and professionalism. The two guys are miles apart on that issue, IMO, and If you're the front 7 for Houston you feel a little more freedom to pin your ears back than you did in 2012...even if it's the placebo effect. Who cares.

Bullstarch. You have fallen for all the hype- he doesn't 'mentor' anyone...Ed's a loner.

He works out in Miami with his "U" buddies, not in Baltimore. And he won't in Houston either.

Again, he's not the leader in the lockerroom you think he is. Ray Lewis owned that lockerroom.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:21 PM

They won't look smart back there when Ed gambles and misses like he does about 60-65% ofthe time...

GP
03-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Manning and Reed at Safety.

KJ and Joseph at Cornerback.

Tell me a better FOUR-MAN secondary than that.

QBs picked on us because of two things: (1) Manning playing up inside the box more, due to loss of Cushing, and (2) Quin being left on his own.

If Cushing can last all season, if we can draft a thumper LB to pair alongside Cushing (because frankly, Bradie James is not that guy), then we have the following:

Front 3: Smith, Cody/Mitchell, Watt (With Crick getting more snaps in 2013)

LBs: Cushing, Drafted LB/James, Reed, Braman, Mercilus

CBs: Joseph, Jackson

S: Manning, Reed

That leaves us with the opportunity to target a LB on draft day, giving us flexibility to do whatever is best in round 1....be it a WR, or a LB, or a S to groom for Ed Reed's spot (who would be a better teacher than Ed Reed???).

Round 2 and 3 and 4 we can take whatever is best there for us, given the way the picks fall. Beef up whatever it is the Texans want to beef up.

We could even package picks and move up if wanted to, though that's not Rick Smith's style (he openly says he wants to collect picks as much as possible).

Overall, signing Ed Reed could be an upgrade over Quin regardless of disparity of age and mileage.

I look at that defense, and if we could get stronger on the DL or the LB positions, I look for Wade's defense to return to 2011 levels of consistency and production. Losing Cushing made Watt do much more than he should've been asked to do, and it cost us in the secondary via Manning playing down low too much. All in all, I don't think this is wrist-slitting time if we sign Ed Reed.

The big question will be (1) How do we add a GOOD wide receiver, and (2) Does that happen by restructuring our own guys' contracts to get a FA in here, or do we (3) Go draft day and try to gamble on a rookie being able to instantly be WR2???

b0ng
Bullstarch. You have fallen for all the hype- he doesn't 'mentor' anyone...Ed's a loner.

He works out in Miami with his "U" buddies, not in Baltimore. And he won't in Houston either.

Again, he's not the leader in the lockerroom you think he is. Ray Lewis owned that lockerroom.

I'm not saying I'm some sort of expert on what Ed Reed would bring in terms of locker room leadership (How the hell could anybody "co-lead" with Ray Lewis in there?), but you describe him as a player who doesn't talk to even his secondary teammates whatsoever? This is what I infer when I read "loner".

DX-TEX

Ray lead through fear. if you didn't listen he would shank your ass.

rolyat93

He shows up in primetime, that's all I want honestly.

b0ng
03-14-2013, 02:23 PM
He was, but had only 3 starts at FS and the rest at SS in 2012. Reed is(was) the prototypical FS and will play there wherever he goes, imo.

Yes but you were replying to a post where I brought up Adrian Wilson.

Section516
03-14-2013, 02:24 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8892504/super-bowl-xlvii-ed-reed-hiding-plain-sight?src=mobile

"It's been such a blessing to play with that dude," Ravens linebacker Dannell Ellerbe says of Reed. "He's just so much of a leader that's behind the scenes, man. He don't need the cameras or anything. He's a guy that you respect, because he really don't care about being in the limelight. He just wants to make sure all his players are doing good. He cares only about this team. That's just a guy you want to play for."

Reed's leadership within the structure of the Ravens has always been harder to appreciate than Lewis', in large part because it lacks the public theatricality of the linebacker's fiery sideline and locker room speeches. Reed doesn't sit for interviews very often. Lewis, Flacco, Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs all field questions from the media on a weekly basis, but the Ravens don't ask Reed to do the same because they know how much he dislikes it. He'll typically talk to reporters at his locker after each game, but not always. When the Ravens lost the AFC Championship Game to New England a year ago, Reed ignored questions from the media with a playful smile and instead chose to walk around the visitors locker room in Gillette Stadium singing "Love TKO" by Teddy Pendergrass.

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 02:24 PM

:spit:

LMAO. I haven't given anybody any rep for a while. You just earned it.

NOTE: I'm a Ray-Ray fan.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Wow- can't believe they let you post from the Middle school computer lab.

GP
03-14-2013, 02:29 PM

He leads by example, from what I've seen of him on game days. He holds down his end of the bargain, and he gambles like most any superstar does. Everybody who is great is bound to fail. Wade Phillips entire scheme is predicated on guys taking chances.

Ray dances, Ray talks, Ray gets in front of the cameras. Hell, he's already on with ESPN right now. BOOM! Instant paycheck, who would've guessed that happening that quickly? Everyone.

Fine, you seem to think that your cast-offs are **** and anybody getting your scraps is just living outside of reality. Fine. You got our castoff and nobody here thought he'd do what he did for your team. NOBODY did. There was even rumors he was going to get cut at the end of training camp because he was dropping everything in practice. What happened? A lot.

A lot can happen with any player. The Colts dropped Manning like 2-week old fish...all he did was take a Broncos team and pretty much did what Manning does a lot of: Play QB pretty freaking well. Sure, the Colts went with youth and future (by getting Luck). Duh. Still, Manning was not done.

And I don't think guys like Woodson or Reed are done. What they did for their respective long-term teams does not mean they're 100% washed up. It just means there's no 4 or 5-year deal in their future. That's the way it goes. Guys like Manning, Woodson, Reed, they're living year-to-year now.

So please, enjoy the discussion (like we know we do among ourselves), but every single comment from you has been snarky and full of sarcasm and contempt for any Texans' poster's responses to why Ed Reed might not be a bad deal for us.

You have to consider the circumstances, which all teams must. Right? Right.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:30 PM
He shows up in primetime, that's all I want honestly.

2 INTs in his last 8 post season games

DX-TEX
03-14-2013, 02:30 PM

http://www.abload.de/img/ip2ld9otcekph4mjdy.gif

Better?

BullNation4Life
03-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Better?

:bravo::bravo:

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8892504/super-bowl-xlvii-ed-reed-hiding-plain-sight?src=mobile

"It's been such a blessing to play with that dude," Ravens linebacker Dannell Ellerbe says of Reed. "He's just so much of a leader that's behind the scenes, man. He don't need the cameras or anything. He's a guy that you respect, because he really don't care about being in the limelight. He just wants to make sure all his players are doing good. He cares only about this team. That's just a guy you want to play for."

Reed's leadership within the structure of the Ravens has always been harder to appreciate than Lewis', in large part because it lacks the public theatricality of the linebacker's fiery sideline and locker room speeches. Reed doesn't sit for interviews very often. Lewis, Flacco, Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs all field questions from the media on a weekly basis, but the Ravens don't ask Reed to do the same because they know how much he dislikes it. He'll typically talk to reporters at his locker after each game, but not always. When the Ravens lost the AFC Championship Game to New England a year ago, Reed ignored questions from the media with a playful smile and instead chose to walk around the visitors locker room in Gillette Stadium singing "Love TKO" by Teddy Pendergrass.

"It's been widely reported, dissected and then anointed (in retrospect) as the turning point in Baltimore's season. Ravens coach John Harbaugh had what felt like a mutiny on his hands. The 50-year-old coach told his players he wanted to begin preparation for Baltimore's game against the Cleveland Browns by practicing in full pads, a rarity for a midseason Wednesday in the NFL, and his players -- still feeling battered and bruised -- were furious. Lewis was in Florida rehabbing his torn triceps, so it was Reed and Bernard Pollard who openly confronted their coach in front of the team, kicking off what players have described as a "group therapy session" in which they were able to air a number of grievances and frustrations."

And now Pollard is released. You guys didn't like Pollard and thought he was a cancer. Now you want Ed Reed.

The1ApplePie
03-14-2013, 02:34 PM

Kenny Phillips as well

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Still, it's picking nits between HOF players. Woodson was the first DB to go into the HOF since Lott, IIRC.

Not nit picking, just wanted to get your opinion on Woodson.

Sorry I asked.

DX-TEX
03-14-2013, 02:36 PM
[And now Pollard is released. You guys didn't like Pollard and thought he was a cancer. Now you want Ed Reed.

We didn't like Pollard because he couldn't cover for **** and he still cant.

BullNation4Life
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
"It's been widely reported, dissected and then anointed (in retrospect) as the turning point in Baltimore's season. Ravens coach John Harbaugh had what felt like a mutiny on his hands. The 50-year-old coach told his players he wanted to begin preparation for Baltimore's game against the Cleveland Browns by practicing in full pads, a rarity for a midseason Wednesday in the NFL, and his players -- still feeling battered and bruised -- were furious. Lewis was in Florida rehabbing his torn triceps, so it was Reed and Bernard Pollard who openly confronted their coach in front of the team, kicking off what players have described as a "group therapy session" in which they were able to air a number of grievances and frustrations."

And now Pollard is released. You guys didn't like Pollard and thought he was a cancer. Now you want Ed Reed.

I don't remember Pollard being a cancer, a coverage liability yes, but a cancer?

b0ng
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM

Nobody here thought Pollard was a cancer, he just couldn't cover to save his life, which was especially bad next to Ewwwwwwwwwwwgene Wilson's ghost of a career.

Now you are straight making stuff up.

edit: lol triple beaten

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Better?

Awesome- I hope you get to see Molly Ringwalds panties stime soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQ-frSG5Gs

deucetx
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM

umm...this articulates what others are saying. It states his leadership and how he recognized issues and voiced them. That is what leaders do. Followers sit there on their hands saying nothing. Leaders on the football team should speak openly to the coach to discuss issues that coaches may not see because coaches don't see it all or know it all. That is why you want leaders on your team to be that voice, be those eyes and be that bridge between player and coach.

Don't remember anyone believing Pollard was a cancer. Maybe some did, who knows. The main and general thought was he couldn't cover in the way Wade utilizes his safeties and was strictly a box safety.

GP
03-14-2013, 02:40 PM

OMG!

So like, I wasn't just bull****ting then, huh? I mean, I actually stated a position and what do you know...it is true! Wow.

See, handswarmer...just because Ray was the public face of that defense doesn't mean it was entirely led by Ray. Please stop making it sound like Ed Reed was garbage. I mean, really. It is what it is: Guy is older, he isn't getting the 4 or 5-year deals that younger guys are...it happens. He's living year to year, and we need a stop-gap solution for now.

Context. It's a helluva' drug.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM

I don't remember Pollard being a cancer. Poor in coverage, the un-timely personal fouls... those were the reasons we didn't mind letting Pollard go.

Reed... yeah, I want him on this team. I like the idea of Peyton, Brady, & Flacco looking for him when we go head to head.

No matter, it won't happen. Rick Smith rubs people the wrong way & Reed is at a point in his career he doesn't need to put up with too much. I'm surprised he hadn't flown out yet.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
We didn't like Pollard because he couldn't cover for **** and he still cant.

Funny he was great in coverage in Baltimore.

dalemurphy
03-14-2013, 02:43 PM
2 INTs in his last 8 post season games

Umm, that's not spectacular, but it aint bad, either.

Mari-OWNED!
03-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Guys it's obvious this Ravens fan is just a little butthurt to potentially see Ed Reed in another uniform regardless of how old he is or if his skills have diminished. It's exactly the same way we will be when/if Andre ever plays for another franchise.

Don't feed the troll.

DX-TEX
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQ-frSG5Gs

http://imageshack.us/a/img507/3461/lovebirds.gif

Its gonna be ok...

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM

To all you "handswarmer is good people" people... I mean is this really necessary?

Rey
03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Texans need to get this done...

GP
03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Nobody here thought Pollard was a cancer, he just couldn't cover to save his life, which was especially bad next to Ewwwwwwwwwwwgene Wilson's ghost of a career.

Now you are straight making stuff up.

edit: lol triple beaten

Yeah, handswarmer....you're reaching a bit now.

Look, we get it: Flacco needed the pat on the back. But they're jettisoning like 6 players now. Major players. Happens to all Super Bowl teams the following year: They lose a lot of players. Everyone gets their payday after a SB win.

Pollard was risky for us. He plays way too hot. He's like a cartridge that's had maybe too much gunpowder packed into it for the corresponding rifle barrel it's being put through. You might get a hotter round, and yet you might also get a busted rifle too.

Good on the Ravens for gambling and succeeding with Pollard. Good on the Ravens for gambling on Jacoby and succeeding there, as well. We might be gambling on Ed Reed, and it may or not pay off for us.

But our hands are tied. Might as well focus on what positives Ed Reed brings, knowing that it's either him or some guy on our roster named Shiloh Keo whom if you knew our team you'd know you DO NOT WANT him as your safety. Not even if you were playing a Pop Warner team.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
To all you "handswarmer is good people" people... I mean is this really necessary?

The guy just doesn't have much of a sense of humor. From what I have seen, his sarcasm detector has been broken since he got here.

dalemurphy
03-14-2013, 02:47 PM
umm...this articulates what others are saying. It states his leadership and how he recognized issues and voiced them. That is what leaders do. Followers sit there on their hands saying nothing. Leaders on the football team should speak openly to the coach to discuss issues that coaches may not see because coaches don't see it all or know it all. That is why you want leaders on your team to be that voice, be those eyes and be that bridge between player and coach.

Don't remember anyone believing Pollard was a cancer. Maybe some did, who knows. The main and general thought was he couldn't cover in the way Wade utilizes his safeties and was strictly a box safety.

Pollard did almost kill Kareem Jackson's career in less than four months. Once he was cut, Jackson began to get healthy... So, Maybe cancer is the right word to use to describe him (I'm imagining Arnold, "it's not a tuumahh")

DX-TEX
03-14-2013, 02:47 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/good-guy-ray-lewis-meme1.jpg

fiasco west
03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
They won't look smart back there when Ed gambles and misses like he does about 60-65% ofthe time...

So Reed isn't a smart player? That is seriously the first time I heard someone even infer that.

Are they gambles? Yes they are, but such is the life of a playmaking player in the secondary. Great players take gambles and when those gambles pay off they pay off big don't they?

Quin wouldn't take the gamble and at times be in the wrong place. QBs like Brady had no fear going deep on the Texans, for Brady just hurry up to the line and throw one 40 yards down the field because you know the Texans won't be prepared.

Pretty much.

That tells me all I need to know. I wish our guys had a pow wow after getting smacked by the Packers and Patriots.

Well I know they did after the first Patriots game, but after the Packers game it seemed to be a lot of ho hum just one loss thing.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Fine, you seem to think that your cast-offs are **** and anybody getting your scraps is just living outside of reality. Fine. .

A lot can happen with any player. The Colts dropped Manning like 2-week old fish....

So please, enjoy the discussion (like we know we do among ourselves), but every single comment from you has been snarky and full of sarcasm and contempt for any Texans' poster's responses to why Ed Reed might not be a bad deal for us.

You have to consider the circumstances, which all teams must. Right? Right.

I never said that- its jus that you guys (in general) and a lot of other fans get all juiced up in March about another teams cuts or release...whatever. History tends to be on theside of the Ravens when players leave here in FA- plaers chase the money and rarely measure up.

Colts had the luxury of dropping Manning wit the 1st pick in their back pocket.

Snaky> Full of sarcasm? Contempt? Hardly....guess I should be signing Kumbaya in each post? Nah, not my style....

(Oh, sorry- that was :sarcasm:)

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Straight up BS. Enjoy the reds.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/negged/grand/16563676_negged_gif.gif

GP
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Guys it's obvious this Ravens fan is just a little butthurt to potentially see Ed Reed in another uniform regardless of how old he is or if his skills have diminished. It's exactly the same way we will be when/if Andre ever plays for another franchise.

Don't feed the troll.

That's true to an extent. He's getting a but unnerved right now, prior to today he's been quality people on here.

Eh, today he's just getting riled up. He doesn't like other teams' fans stating things about his players just like we do when other teams' fans say things about our players on our end. It's natural.

But yeah, today he's getting a bit unnerved. He has Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, and Torrey Smith left on the roster...and not much else. He's staring at maybe the end of the Ravens chances, while watching the Broncos and Dolphins get better...knowing the Patriots are still led by Brady and a cast of role players who just keep that machine chugging along no matter what. So for him to see Ed Reed wheeling and dealing, he's got to be a bit unsettled and has to resort to some coping mechanisms to get by. ;)

Nobody likes it when the party ends and the images fade away into the past. Ed Reed is not a 4 or 5-year guy for ANY team. He's a rental, but he's still Ed Reed and that makes most QBs hesitate to throw his way. Especially if there's Danieal Manning, KJ, and J-Jo also in the mix. And McCain our nickel DB to add to the mix. Not too bad. Ed Reed on a bad secondary would be bad. Ed Reed on THIS secondary can manage to hold it down OK.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Don't feed the troll.

Tts what you fail to understand- I don't care if he stays OR if he goes: I, for one am tired of his waffling after every season.

But hey, :koolaid: have another sip....

GP
03-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I never said that- its jus that you guys (in general) and a lot of other fans get all juiced up in March about another teams cuts or release...whatever. History tends to be on theside of the Ravens when players leave here in FA- plaers chase the money and rarely measure up.

Snaky> Full of sarcasm? Contempt? Hardly....guess I should be signing Kumbaya in each post? Nah, not my style....

I won't even bother reading. You know you're being snarky.

If everyone on here is getting after your ass, you know you've overstepped boundaries. Even DutchRudder negg'd you and he doesn't neg people.

Just sayin'....it's possible to lose yourself for a second and go down that lonesome road. You're about a mile and a quarter down that road today.

Is what it is. I've positive rep'd you before, I've defended you a lot before, but now you're sort of being a dick here. Sorry, that's life.

IDEXAN
03-14-2013, 02:54 PM
But isn't Ed to old and brittle to play box-safety where he'd be up close to the los where all of the contact happens ?

fiasco west
03-14-2013, 02:55 PM

The Texans have not had many bad FA signings either so I'm not sure what that is about.

Yall should have fun with Jacoby in a bigger role though without Boldin, good luck with that.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM

O cheese and rice, tell me you are kidding? Look who now doesn't have a sense of humor....

The guy just doesn't have much of a sense of humor. From what I have seen, his sarcasm detector has been broken since he got here.

I don't ass/u/me anythig. Hard to measure toneof voice on a message board, but please, judge me all you want...

SW H-TOWN
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks we would over pay him.

6. His beard
7. Looking like a homeless man because or 5 and 6.

Seriously, if he comes in for a lower figure one year or two year deal, sure. We're already cap strapped and I don't want to through a Brink's truck at him. If his contract any where nears GQ I would much rather have kept GQ.

Totally agree because of his age and injury history.

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM

Speaking of getting your panties in a twist, don't come to TT throwing your SB ring wearing player under the bus because he's signing here and expect eveyone to bow down to you "balanced" opinion. http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc366/PlagueEleven/Smileys/no.gif

Go talk sh!t about Ed Reed on the Ravens forum. :tiphat:

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Pretty much.

That tells me all I need to know. I wish our guys had a pow wow after getting smacked by the Packers and Patriots.

Well I know they did after the first Patriots game, but after the Packers game it seemed to be a lot of ho hum just one loss thing.

The difference here, is that Ed Reed & his merry band of followers were voicing their frustrations to their HC. I know there are a number of Houston Texans fans who would love for our team to get together & say, "No.... we're not turtling up anymore. Let us loose, let us throttle them MFers."

Personally, I don't think Gary is a control freak. I think he's waiting for the team to nutt up & take control, especially Matt Schaub. You can put David Carr into a leadership role (QB) but that doesn't make him a leader. Before I give leadership to a QB, I want to know he's willing to do what he thinks is best & own up to it if it turns out to be a mistake.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Straight up BS. Enjoy the reds.

Its from the same article....I could care less about neg reps and that high school crap.

I have no interest in worrying about what someone else thinks about my reputation on a Football message board.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Speaking of getting your panties in a twist, don't come to TT throwing your SB ring wearing player under the bus because he's signing here and expect eveyone to bow down to you "balanced" opinion. http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc366/PlagueEleven/Smileys/no.gif

Go talk sh!t about Ed Reed on the Ravens forum. :tiphat:

Thanks for the warm welcome- I am glad to say that I am staying....

panamamyers
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Have Ravens fans here tell it, Ed Reed was the second coming of Glenn Earl or something.

b0ng
03-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Ed Reed Makes Sense for the Texans (http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10817)

Complaining is easy. Pointing out problems is even easier. Texans management is paid to do neither. They are tasked with finding solutions for current problems, and avoiding future issues. In that context, let’s look at their decision to let Glover Quin walk, and make a run at Edward Earl Reed, Jr.

Norg
did toro fly the jet to pick up ed reed ............. LOL :toropalm:

dalemurphy
He's something cool:

We are attracting a veteran, future HoF player looking to win one more championship... Why us? because Baltimore's been gutted and the Texans look like his best option to get paid and play for a winner.

Next up- James Harrison and Marcus Spears flocking to Houston for vet minimum. It's a new world!

beerlover
03-14-2013, 03:03 PM
If Schaub & Reed contracts = Joe Flacco's which choice do Texan fans prefer? :fans:

handswarmer
I won't even bother reading. You know you're being snarky.

If everyone on here is getting after your ass, you know you've overstepped boundaries. Even DutchRudder negg'd you and he doesn't neg people.

Just sayin'....it's possible to lose yourself for a second and go down that lonesome road. You're about a mile and a quarter down that road today.

Is what it is. I've positive rep'd you before, I've defended you a lot before, but now you're sort of being a dick here. Sorry, that's life.

M, I feel better afdter that 'talking to'...thaks for saving my azz....

swhew....:user:

drs23
Manning and Reed at Safety.

KJ and Joseph at Cornerback.

Tell me a better FOUR-MAN secondary than that.

QBs picked on us because of two things: (1) Manning playing up inside the box more, due to loss of Cushing, and (2) Quin being left on his own.

If Cushing can last all season, if we can draft a thumper LB to pair alongside Cushing (because frankly, Bradie James is not that guy), then we have the following:

Front 3: Smith, Cody/Mitchell, Watt (With Crick getting more snaps in 2013)

LBs: Cushing, Drafted LB/James, Reed, Braman, Mercilus

CBs: Joseph, Jackson

S: Manning, Reed

That leaves us with the opportunity to target a LB on draft day, giving us flexibility to do whatever is best in round 1....be it a WR, or a LB, or a S to groom for Ed Reed's spot (who would be a better teacher than Ed Reed???).

Round 2 and 3 and 4 we can take whatever is best there for us, given the way the picks fall. Beef up whatever it is the Texans want to beef up.

We could even package picks and move up if wanted to, though that's not Rick Smith's style (he openly says he wants to collect picks as much as possible).

Overall, signing Ed Reed could be an upgrade over Quin regardless of disparity of age and mileage.

I look at that defense, and if we could get stronger on the DL or the LB positions, I look for Wade's defense to return to 2011 levels of consistency and production. Losing Cushing made Watt do much more than he should've been asked to do, and it cost us in the secondary via Manning playing down low too much. All in all, I don't think this is wrist-slitting time if we sign Ed Reed.

The big question will be (1) How do we add a GOOD wide receiver, and (2) Does that happen by restructuring our own guys' contracts to get a FA in here, or do we (3) Go draft day and try to gamble on a rookie being able to instantly be WR2???

I'll go with door #3. Robert Woods and my favorite, DeAndre Hopkins. Both fluid route runners with strong hands. A few others that have been mocked or talked about in regard to the Texans are Da'Rick Rodgers (steelb's fav), Marcus Wheaton and Quinton Patton. Surely outta those guys Gary or Rick will find one they both like on day one.

Now back on topic. Not sure if Ed's pulling a Bodden/Pace move or not but something tells me he's not. If he signs I hope it works out like many think it will.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
He's something cool:

We are attracting a veteran, future HoF player looking to win one more championship... Why us? because Baltimore's been gutted and the Texans look like his best option to get paid and play for a winner.

Next up- James Harrison and Marcus Spears flocking to Houston for vet minimum. It's a new world!

Or, he wanted to come South, is friends with AJ and has family in La

He's accomplished everything. He just wants to come home and make money doing it. Just hope his heart's still in it

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 03:06 PM
That's true to an extent. He's getting a but unnerved right now, prior to today he's been quality people on here.

Eh, today he's just getting riled up. He doesn't like other teams' fans stating things about his players just like we do when other teams' fans say things about our players on our end. It's natural.

He's always getting butt hurt. Say that Anquan Bolden had to adjust to a lot of balls & he'll go on to tell you Flacco threw the ball like that on purpose, or they practiced it that way.....

Who cares, that's not the point. We're in a conversation where the topic is "top receivers know how to adjust to the ball" who cares about Flacco (at that point).

Then when you say Flacco is a great QB, he's upset because you didn't say "Flacco is a GREAT QB"

Ed Reed is not a 4 or 5-year guy for ANY team. He's a rental, but he's still Ed Reed and that makes most QBs hesitate to throw his way. Especially if there's Danieal Manning, KJ, and J-Jo also in the mix. And McCain our nickel DB to add to the mix. Not too bad. Ed Reed on a bad secondary would be bad. Ed Reed on THIS secondary can manage to hold it down OK.

100% agree. If this was the Ravens defense, Ed Reed wouldn't be much help. A shell of himself. ON our defense, he shouldn't need the range he had when he was 26. He shouldn't need the burst of a 20something.

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome- I am glad to say that I am staying....

Glad to hear it. You're good with me. I like what you bring to the table. Don't let these guys make you snap though. Keep it together. I really enjoy having insightful conversations with opposing fans.

Go Texans!

Ryan
03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
If he signs there's a 99.9% chance that Texans @ Ravens will be a primetime game.

I've heard rumors of us being the opening game of the 2013 season for a while now.

badboy
03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
2012: 58 total tackles, 4 INTS despite playing with torn labrum since October. 32 straight starts. If he can start 2013 that would allow us to leave safety until a high pick in 2014 draft. Now if we got news Newton will recover for game 1.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21868516/report-ed-reed-to-visit-with-texans-on-thursday

fiasco west
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
The difference here, is that Ed Reed & his merry band of followers were voicing their frustrations to their HC. I know there are a number of Houston Texans fans who would love for our team to get together & say, "No.... we're not turtling up anymore. Let us loose, let us throttle them MFers."

Personally, I don't think Gary is a control freak. I think he's waiting for the team to nutt up & take control, especially Matt Schaub. You can put David Carr into a leadership role (QB) but that doesn't make him a leader. Before I give leadership to a QB, I want to know he's willing to do what he thinks is best & own up to it if it turns out to be a mistake.

I agree and I don't think that is a bad thing.

He's something cool:

Don't know about Spears but I'll take Harrison too lol.

A vet on a short deal, I don't see how that is a bad thing. We'll have a influx of young players every year.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
He's always getting butt hurt. Say that Anquan Bolden had to adjust to a lot of balls & he'll go on to tell you Flacco threw the ball like that on purpose, or they practiced it that way.....

Who cares, that's not the point. We're in a conversation where the topic is "top receivers know how to adjust to the ball" who cares about Flacco (at that point).

Then when you say Flacco is a great QB, he's upset because you didn't say "Flacco is a GREAT QB"

When you misrepresent the subject or the player, then I call you on it. Just like I would expect to be called out when I say somethig out of line.

Ed Reed has been talking retirement around here for 3 yrs. He's not the Lockerroom leader you guys think he is. He is a loner. He works out in teoff season with his "U" buddies. He cannot wrap up or straight up tackle anymore.

That is all. You gys say I don't undersand or recognize sarcasm; perhaps you should look for some in my posts also.

Mr teX
03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Good thing they did not fly into Hobby.

He's from New Orleans....doubt anything he'd see coming in from Kirby would really give him the creeps..

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Glad to hear it. You're good with me. I like what you bring to the table. Don't let these guys make you snap though. Keep it together. I really enjoy having insightful conversations with opposing fans.

Go Texans!

I'm fine- thanks for the kind words.

Go Ravens

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Its from the same article....I could care less about neg reps and that high school crap.

I have no interest in worrying about what someone else thinks about my reputation on a Football message board.

Nobody ever called Pollard a cancer when he was with the Texans, everyone loved his aggression and hard-nosed attitude around here. He couldn't cover well, but Frank Bush was his DC, so I'm not surprised he performed better in Baltimore.

I have never heard anyone call Ed Reed a cancer, but you're implying that he was in Baltimore.

Now that both have left your team you come in here proclaiming that they were terrible guys in the locker room with no leadership. Yeah, right... Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Rey
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
The ignore feature is almost pointless.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 03:23 PM
So did we reach an agreement with him?

I'm getting worried that a deal won't get done and he will sign with the 49ers.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Yes, 10 years 75 million with 50 guaranteed

b0ng
03-14-2013, 03:27 PM

If it happens, it'll come out later today. F5'ing right now is probably going to keep you up to date on nothing happening.

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 03:27 PM

DAMN! I think we could have gotten him for 11 years! FIRE RICK!!

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 03:30 PM

Ballin!!!!

HOU-TEX
03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
DAMN! I think we could have gotten him for 11 years! FIRE RICK!!

I think we tried, but didn't feel it was worth having to add two tennis balls for his walker

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
When you misrepresent the subject or the player, then I call you on it. Just like I would expect to be called out when I say somethig out of line.

I'm not misrepresenting anything when I say top receivers adjust to the ball. But you take it as an insult to your QB, even though I've clearly been on Flacco's side.

Ed Reed has been talking retirement around here for 3 yrs. He's not the Lockerroom leader you guys think he is. He is a loner. He works out in teoff season with his "U" buddies. He cannot wrap up or straight up tackle anymore.

I don't think Ed Reed is a leader at all, that's not my argument. I don't want him here to lead Jjo, Manning, & Kj. I personally don't think we need him for that.

I want someone that Brady & Manning respects playing center field.

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Nobody ever called Pollard a cancer when he was with the Texans, everyone loved his aggression and hard-nosed attitude around here. He couldn't cover well, but Frank Bush was his DC, so I'm not surprised he performed better in Baltimore.

I have never heard anyone call Ed Reed a cancer, but you're implying that he was in Baltimore.

Now that both have left your team you come in here proclaiming that they were terrible guys in the locker room with no leadership. Yeah, right... Sounds like sour grapes to me.
QFT

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 03:33 PM

schewwww..... :whew

I thought he was going to be unrealistic about his demands.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Now that is one pricey hurdle:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1380333/celekham.gif

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MORENO-HURDLES-ED-REED.gif

Titans Sux 72
03-14-2013, 03:35 PM
The Texans have not had many bad FA signings either so I'm not sure what that is about.

Yall should have fun with Jacoby in a bigger role though without Boldin, good luck with that.

Lol. Jacoby as a number 2. Priceless!!!!!!

b0ng
03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Gary Striewski ‏@garystriewski

Safety Ed Reed just walked into #Reliant Stadium alongside two advisors and #Texans GM Rick Smith.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 03:38 PM
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MORENO-HURDLES-ED-REED.gif

That's awesome, see the way he sets Moreno up perfectly for his teammate to whack him?

That's selflessness. That's leadership.

Doppelganger
03-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Gary Striewski ‏@garystriewski

Safety Ed Reed just walked into #Reliant Stadium alongside two advisors and #Texans GM Rick Smith.

he JUST walked into Reliant? Damn. That was a long car ride. Perhaps they stopped for lunch at one of Bill's favorite establishments :)

Norg
03-14-2013, 03:41 PM
how do we be so conservative

not paying

Winston
Mike B
Leech
Quinn
and letting Barwin walk

but want to spend or money and a olllld vet Saftey ...???

shouldnt we just be conservative all the way and get a Mid teir / lower teir F/a or a draft pick Saftey ..????

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Nope- I pointed out that in the same article where people wanted to praise Ed for his "leadership" by standing up to the head coach in front of te whole team, about not practicing pads was also looked at like a 'mutiny' by management. Pollard stood in solidarity with Ed, Pollard was cut, his cap savings were $1million....nothing...it was a message to the Lewis-less lockerroom that Harbaugh owns it, not guys like Pollard, Reed....that why Ed is being allowd to go out and see what he can get. Ray Lewis wasallowed back in 09 to see wha he could get: market was slim to nothing for him. vAll that noise about Reed is jus tha, noise.

badboy
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
how do we be so conservative

not paying

Winston
Mike B
Leech
Quinn
and letting Barwin walk

but want to spend or money and a olllld vet Saftey ...???

shouldnt we just be conservative all the way and get a Mid teir / lower teir F/a or a draft pick Saftey ..????You are going to focus on his birthday and ignore his play last season?

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Gary Striewski‏@garystriewski
#Texans flew out to scoop Reed from his Atlanta home. Now at the stadium to try and hash out a deal.
#NFL #FreeAgency

Guess they went to lunch first

eriadoc
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Now that is one pricey hurdle:

That definitely looks better than Quin.

Moreno and Celek do, I mean.

Doppelganger
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
he JUST walked into Reliant? Damn. That was a long car ride. Perhaps they stopped for lunch at one of Bill's favorite establishments :)

Gary Striewski‏@garystriewski
#Texans flew out to scoop Reed from his Atlanta home. Now at the stadium to try and hash out a deal.
#NFL #FreeAgency

Guess they went to lunch first

Quite of a few of those establishments on the road between the airport and Kirby :)

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
ttwentyman: RT “@PPSsportsMGMT: #Lions Free Agent Safety Louis Delmas just signed by the #49ers”

HoustonRaven
03-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Reed was at Flemings on Alabama.

Get used to seeing him there. He lived at the one in Baltimore.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
The Texans have not had many bad FA signings either so I'm not sure what that is about..

Then you didn't understand the post.

Not about Jacoby- he's the punt/KO returner. There are alot of younger WR's who ae ready to step up- Tandon Doss, Deonte Thompson, David Reed, etc...

HoustonFrog
03-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Just stats being thrown out on Twitter by LZ

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

2012 Tackles: Quin - 64, Reed - 49 / Missed+Broken tackles: Quin - 10, Reed - 16 / Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%

2012: INTs: Quin - 2, Reed - 4 / TDs allowed: Quin - 5, Reed -3 / Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457 / Defensed: Quin- 14, Reed-15

I'm getting into so many arguments with Texans fans who believe that signing Ed Reed is "going all in". He's a 35 yr old safety and....

Texans still have issues with run blocking on right side, pass rush considerations at OLB and spotty QB play. 35 yr old safety is "all in"?

Last thing on Ed Reed & Texans. At least Reed would allow Manning to play near line & away from single high where his instincts are avg.

dalemurphy
03-14-2013, 04:03 PM
ttwentyman: RT “@PPSsportsMGMT: #Lions Free Agent Safety Louis Delmas just signed by the #49ers”

No he didn't. Misreported.

eriadoc
03-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Just stats being thrown out on Twitter by LZ

2012 Tackles: Quin - 64, Reed - 49
Missed+Broken tackles: Quin - 10, Reed - 16
Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%

2012: INTs: Quin - 2, Reed - 4
TDs allowed: Quin - 5, Reed -3
Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457
Defensed: Quin- 14, Reed-15

Hard to speculate how the difference in scheme and surrounding personnel factors into such stats, but that looks fairly even to me, maybe a slight edge to Quin. Given youth and upside vs. risk of age-related decline, that's a little more edge to Quin.

Either way, any argument that Reed was a better player last year isn't supported by stats nor by what I saw. Believe what you want though. If the Texans sign him, there will be enough people complaining about it by next December that I won't even have to bump this thread.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
LMAO Derrick Mason trolled everyone.

Broke the "news" that Reed signed with the Texans but later said he was just joking.

LikeMike
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Reed is a High risk high reward situation. His age and injury history is a huge concern - his play last year is a little concern.

The thing about him is: he is a game changer. He still is a ball hawk and he still is a great int returner. We can use that. Plus he has great instincts and QB still are kinda intimidated by him.

If we sign him I'm intrigued and worried. Wo knows what he has left in the tank and how motivated he will be. If we get the real Ed Reed we turn into instant contenders (if we can fix our right side).

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Is this the calm before the big break?

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 04:16 PM
...and letting Barwin walk
Barwin didn't walk.

GP
03-14-2013, 04:17 PM

That's called:

http://www.ananuclear.org/Portals/0/images/nuclear-bomb.jpg

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Barwin didn't walk.

You're right. He ran.

Double Barrel
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
"Leadership" is so subjective.

This defense does not need a locker room cheerleader.

What it needs is a veteran presence that has been there / done that and keeps them from getting goofy before big games (letterman jackets anyone)? A guy like Reed can be a good presence in the huddle, when it matters most. Let them know that QBs like Brady and Manning are still human and can be beat. This defense lost it's attitude when Cushing went down. I love Watt, but he's sort of a Gomer Pyle as a leader. Gosh shucks right now, and just too young of a player to have the experience and insight on how to push buttons and keep his squad focused on the task at hand. Reed might be that kind of veteran presence that is an intangible and can make all the difference.

Lurvinator11
03-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Um....Guys?

Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum
ER is here-We are about to talk in my office

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Holy **** It's a done deal?

:cow:

michaelm
@LanceZierlein: RT @sonofbum: ER is here-We are about to talk in my office

Son of Bum is all high-techie and shyte, tweeting about his meeting with Reed about to commence.

Dutchrudder
Nope- I pointed out that in the same article where people wanted to praise Ed for his "leadership" by standing up to the head coach in front of te whole team, about not practicing pads was also looked at like a 'mutiny' by management. Pollard stood in solidarity with Ed, Pollard was cut, his cap savings were $1million....nothing...it was a message to the Lewis-less lockerroom that Harbaugh owns it, not guys like Pollard, Reed....that why Ed is being allowd to go out and see what he can get. Ray Lewis wasallowed back in 09 to see wha he could get: market was slim to nothing for him. vAll that noise about Reed is jus tha, noise.

You said:

[quoted article]

No question you said you thought the Texans fans saw Pollard as a cancer (which is bull****) and you're implying that Ed Reed will be a cancer (which is bull****). Nothing but ungratefulness on your part, tearing down a star player that helped bring your team a Super Bowl win. Now you're here trying to rain on the Texans day for trying to sign the guy. It's pathetic on your part and you have nothing to support him being a "cancer".

It's no wonder you're here, I bet the Ravens board ignores your posts if this is the kind of crap you bring to the table.

GP
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Barwin didn't walk.

I know it's semantics and all, but...He's walking. He has no home right now.

No contract--Not from us and not from anyone else for that matter.

He might actually be reading books, though, rather than walking. But he's not going to play here unless he plays for pennies on the dollar...which is why he hasn't signed anywhere yet (because nobody wants him for what he thinks he's worth).

Dude will play for us for vet minimum or for some other team. Whether that other team pays him vet minimum, or just a bit more than vet minimum, or more than we think he'd get, is not the issue. He currently has no home. He's as "walking" as you can get without being having his thumb permanently in the air on the side of the road.

http://media.culturemap.com/cache/8e/8d/8e8d3811b88910221f9e57d55467484b.jpg

michaelm
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Holy **** It's a done deal?

:cow:

Don't get your hopes up to hear any official news today. The Texans MO has always been to maintain silence until deals are official with the league.
The way the tweets are flying, someone will probably let the unofficial cat out of the bag, though.

Doppelganger
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
@LanceZierlein: RT @sonofbum: ER is here-We are about to talk in my office

Son of Bum is all high-techie and shyte, tweeting about his meeting with Reed about to commence.

After all of these tweets, photos, and sending the owner's jet to him, they better get this guy or they will have massive egg on their faces.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2013, 04:28 PM

What it needs is a veteran presence that has been there / done that and keeps them from getting goofy before big games (letterman jackets anyone)? A guy like Reed can be a good presence in the huddle, when it matters most. Let them know that QBs like Brady and Manning are still human and can be beat. This defense lost it's attitude when Cushing went down. I love Watt, but he's sort of a Gomer Pyle as a leader. Gosh shucks right now, and just too young of a player to have the experience and insight on how to push buttons and keep his squad focused on the task at hand. Reed might be that kind of veteran presence that is an intangible and can make all the difference.

Could not agree more. Cush has that kinda fire that might be considered borderline insanity. Which, I think, is needed for the type of play the front seven has to endure and dish out on an every down basis.

IMO, the secondary is a different breed than the front 7. I think Reed would be great for our back end

fiasco west
03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Then you didn't understand the post.

Not about Jacoby- he's the punt/KO returner. There are alot of younger WR's who ae ready to step up- Tandon Doss, Deonte Thompson, David Reed, etc...

Who? Yeah as the Texans learned last year with the right side of the line, sometimes those guys aren't quite ready to have the larger role that will be trusted upon them.

Any ways are you implying that the Texans are signing Ed Reed to be a part of our core or something?

He'd come here and would fill a vet role. The texans still have Manning, Joseph and Kareem in the secondary. He's not coming in here to be our savior.

TexanSam
03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Dude will play for us for vet minimum or for some other team. Whether that other team pays him vet minimum, or just a bit more than vet minimum, or more than we think he'd get, is not the issue.

I'm not sure about that. Some teams have a ridiculous amount of money to spend, and now that teams have to spend at least 90% of the cap some players will get some crazy contracts even if they aren't worth that amount of money. Wouldn't surprise me if someone signs Barwin for $3-4 million per year.

Wolf
03-14-2013, 04:42 PM
I hope he something left in his HOF tank

nero THE zero
03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
After all of these tweets, photos, and sending the owner's jet to him, they better get this guy or they will have massive egg on their faces.

Texans PR was pimping Reed via email, Facebook, and Twitter as soon as news of our interest broke.

It was a done deal (at least as of) yesterday. All of this is just a dog and pony show for the fans.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if someone signs Barwin for $3-4 million per year.

I don't think the Texans would have had a problem signing Barwin for $3-4M/yr

crazy money for Connor is $6+M & he'll probably get it.

sandman
03-14-2013, 04:51 PM
I think Reed would be great for our back end

I hope your not talking about Robert Reed...

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
You said:

No question you said you thought the Texans fans saw Pollard as a cancer (which is bull****) and you're implying that Ed Reed will be a cancer (which is bull****). Nothing but ungratefulness on your part, tearing down a star player that helped bring your team a Super Bowl win. Now you're here trying to rain on the Texans day for trying to sign the guy. It's pathetic on your part and you have nothing to support him being a "cancer".

It's no wonder you're here, I bet the Ravens board ignores your posts if this is the kind of crap you bring to the table.

Hear that 'swooshing' sound? Thats my point flying past your head- in fairness, I should have written "ALOT of Texans fans saw Pollard as cancer but not all" to eliminae yourself from the discussion?

After his release, league 'sources' asked the question, "Released in KC, then Houston and now Balitmore? Whats that tell you?"

Now, what you are missing from the article and te point I ahve been trying to make all afternoon, is that John Harbaugh wasbehind the release of Pollard and behind letting Ed test Free Agency. He doesn't want anyone challenging him in his lockerroom. Pollard and Reed led the 'mutiny' last October; need aline be drawn any clearer for you?

I have loved Ed Reed for my team since we drafted him; he hasn't been the same player snce gettng hurt and has been on the decline ever since. Sorry my even tempered resonse has crapped all over your giddy parade. Enjoy!

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Who? Yeah as the Texans learned last year with the right side of the line, sometimes those guys aren't quite ready to have the larger role that will be trusted upon them.

Any ways are you implying that the Texans are signing Ed Reed to be a part of our core or something?

He'd come here and would fill a vet role. The texans still have Manning, Joseph and Kareem in the secondary. He's not coming in here to be our savior.

Ozzie Newsome always is ableto find a seasoned Vet that can fill in - he is best at mining the cuts from TC. Thats how we got McKinnie 2 years ago...and Ozzie doesn't miss much in the draft.

Double Barrel
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Could not agree more. Cush has that kinda fire that might be considered borderline insanity. Which, I think, is needed for the type of play the front seven has to endure and dish out on an every down basis.

IMO, the secondary is a different breed than the front 7. I think Reed would be great for our back end

My heart sank the night Cushing went down. I told my buddy that it was a loss that the Texans would be unable to overcome and it would eventually cost them in the playoffs. You just don't replace a dude like that on so many levels. He told me to stay optimistic, but my gut just felt it.

I think our secondary would be pretty baddass with Reed, Manning, Joseph, and Jackson back there. It could really feed our front 7 in so many ways. Help give them that extra little time to get to the QB, or make pressure to force bad throws, which our secondary could feast upon. Hopes, man, hopes.

JamesBill
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM

This is what I have been saying. These other team's fans are here for a reason.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 05:02 PM

ha! too many homers ad uninformed fans for my taste...plus the main one converted to a pay site and I'm not wasting my money.

GP
03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure about that. Some teams have a ridiculous amount of money to spend, and now that teams have to spend at least 90% of the cap some players will get some crazy contracts even if they aren't worth that amount of money. Wouldn't surprise me if someone signs Barwin for $3-4 million per year.

Probably right about the cap space of other teams.

I just don't see how a team could look at his 2012 performance and think, "Well, you know what? He had a monster in JJ Watt commanding double teams every snap...and Barwin couldn't buy a sack to save his life. Didn't even get near the QB at all...Yeah, let's give this guy $6 mill-per!"

Anything over the vet minimum is a waste of money on Barwin. He loves to show off his muscles, he's trendy with his hair, you know we used to have a QB who was a lot like that...and he, too, was a Camp Champion every summer.

At the end of the day, he just doesn't have good football instincts. He looks confused, hesitant, and loves the social media limelight too much for my tastes. When Cushing posts something, he's just destroyed the rope or the weights in a workout session. Barwin? He's in his clam digger pants riding a two-seater through the arts district...like a doosh.

For what we get on the field and off, I'm ready for him to go get his money with the Eagles where good Texans players go for more playing time.

JamesBill
03-14-2013, 05:04 PM
"ALOT of Texans fans saw Pollard as cancer but not all" to eliminae yourself from the discussion?

What is "ALOT" besides not an actual word? 1% of Texans fans is "ALOT" Thousands probably. Who cares? Pollard couldn't cover and he quit on the team. So long, enjoyed your play here.

After his release, league 'sources' asked the question, "Released in KC, then Houston and now Balitmore? Whats that tell you?"

That he couldn't cover. It isn't a hard concept. "ALOT" of people seem to understand things you cannot grasp.

TheMatrix31
03-14-2013, 05:06 PM
My heart sank the night Cushing went down. I told my buddy that it was a loss that the Texans would be unable to overcome and it would eventually cost them in the playoffs. You just don't replace a dude like that on so many levels. He told me to stay optimistic, but my gut just felt it.

I think our secondary would be pretty baddass with Reed, Manning, Joseph, and Jackson back there. It could really feed our front 7 in so many ways. Help give them that extra little time to get to the QB, or make pressure to force bad throws, which our secondary could feast upon. Hopes, man, hopes.

Yep. Cushing getting hurt was the death knell for this team. You just don't lose your defensive QB like that and expect to be the same. We were CLEARLY different after he got hurt. **** the Jets and **** that guy who hurt him intentionally.

Endcoachment
03-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Andre and Ed are from the U. Bet he had something to do with the signing.

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Andre and Ed are from the U. Bet he had something to do with the signing.

Nobody has been signed.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/544248_435016576578946_537000367_n.jpg

Rey
03-14-2013, 05:10 PM

That....and swag...

I've seen Michael huff and players of his type thrown out...

Man, Michael huff ain't got no swag...lol...

When you are out there with your guys on the field and you look around the huddle, who do you want to see? Michael huff or Ed reed? Who instills more confidence in what you're doing?

I know quite a few can't relate to that specific example, so here's an analogy:

Some guys have surrounded you with bad intentions. You're standing back to back with your best friend...when you turn to see your friends face do you want to see some ok mid prime boxer or mike Tyson?

Not a perfect analogy, I know. But my point is that beyond actual play (which isn't even terrible) there are tons of intangibles guys like reed bring. He is the kind of guy that inspired belief. And as an athlete (hell, as a regular person) belief is a powerful thing.

Now, he's going to have to back it up by making some plays, but on a game to game basis there isn't a safety available right now that I'd rather have than Ed reed.

Period.

Norg
03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
"Just spotted ed reed at a chuck e Cheese " :P

GP
03-14-2013, 05:19 PM

I thought we'd be OK. I really did.

With how 2011 was so rough with all our injuries...I figured the team would rally again, that it would hurt but not cripple us completely. Wrong!

Looking back, your instincts were dead-on correct.

I would be OK with us drafting something like 3 LBs in this draft, seriously. Wade's defense is predicated upon the LB. Without the right LBs, his defense gets eaten up by even the weaker offenses...even with Watt up-front doing damage all day. The middle MATTERS. Period.

I don't know who the top-ranked LBs are in this draft, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving up some commodities to move into striking range to target one of them, specifically a Cushing 2.0 that we think is out there for us. You want someone who is JUST like him in every way, minus the over-training syndrome.

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 05:20 PM

Okay, now that's an outright LIE.
Bernard was well respected here because he brought intensity to the game and expected it from his teammates. He just couldn't cover worth a damn. And at the time we were still playing the Forehead twice a year. Not a good situation.

handswarmer
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
What is "ALOT" besides not an actual word? 1% of Texans fans is "ALOT" Thousands probably. Who cares? Pollard couldn't cover and he quit on the team. So long, enjoyed your play here.

That he couldn't cover. It isn't a hard concept. "ALOT" of people seem to understand things you cannot grasp.

Oh no! Grammar police! Egad!

Pollard covered just fine here in Baltimore- I watched him closely because of what was written here and on KC boards. Even KC fans were surprised how good he covered wen they played this past year.

I 'grasp' ALOT of what you are writing....I hope to see ALOT more from you...

TheMatrix31
03-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Pollard covered just fine here in Baltimore- I watched him closely because of what was written here and on KC boards. Even KC fans were surprised how good he covered wen they played this past year.

You may hope that, but I hope I literally never see your username again. Stop derailing our ****. ****.

Trap_Star
03-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Pollard a cancer here in Houston? LOL....that's a new one.

Cancer is Joe Flaccid's unibrow...or jacoby's **** tattoo.

htowntexans1985
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Wth is going on?!? Almost 5 o'clock and still no word. It would be an embarrassment to wine and dine reed and send him on a plane to san Francisco.

76Texan
03-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Wth is going on?!? Almost 5 o'clock and still no word. It would be an embarrassment to wine and dine reed and send him on a plane to san Francisco.

Did Bob use his own jet for that? LOL!

jaayteetx
03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Did Bob use his own jet for that? LOL!

Pretty sure Bob wouldn't send him on his way to Frisco in his jet.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Hear that 'swooshing' sound? Thats my point flying past your head- in fairness, I should have written "ALOT of Texans fans saw Pollard as cancer but not all" to eliminae yourself from the discussion?

A lot? I can't find one on this board after a search. I found one that said he was a cancer in KC, but that was it aside from this thread. This board has posts that go back many years, so it's safe to assume someone around here would be using that term with his name if he was seen that way. Maybe he was in KC or Baltimore, but certainly not in Houston.

It tells me they didn't do their homework, because his contract expired in Houston.

Now, what you are missing from the article and te point I ahve been trying to make all afternoon, is that John Harbaugh wasbehind the release of Pollard and behind letting Ed test Free Agency. He doesn't want anyone challenging him in his lockerroom. Pollard and Reed led the 'mutiny' last October; need aline be drawn any clearer for you?

Oh no! Players challenged Harbaugh's decision? That's what you think a cancer is? We obviously have very different ideas of what cancers are in regard to the NFL. Most notably, guys that are extremely selfish, egomaniacs, lazy, constant distractions and couldn't care less about the team are what I consider cancers. Guys like Albert Haynesworth, Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco, Randy Moss, etc are notoriously said to be cancers. Now they weren't that way their entire careers, but you probably know what I'm talking about. Putting Ed Reed in that class for protesting practice with pads is just dumb. You're applying the term to make him look bad.

I have loved Ed Reed for my team since we drafted him; he hasn't been the same player snce gettng hurt and has been on the decline ever since. Sorry my even tempered resonse has crapped all over your giddy parade. Enjoy!

Well good for you. Saying the guy is a cancer is pretty low though. He's been in that locker room long enough to where I would think he deserves better than assuming he's a cancer due to one incident or saying he was not a leader.

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 05:39 PM

But who was it that pointed out that "Harbaugh doesn't have a 'doghouse'"??

GNTLEWOLF
03-14-2013, 05:39 PM

C'mon, what are your real expectations? This is an old game fre agents use to leverage more money, and the Texans are the defacto leverage. How many times has this happened before? I'm not sure Rick and company have what it takes to make that deal, besides the cap issues we have. My guess is Ed gets his tummy filled, his ego stroked and then flies off to sign with San Francisco

Corrosion
03-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Thats far from the truth .... We all liked Pollard .... We just knew he wasnt very good in coverage. His moving to Baltimore and being paired with Ed Reeed was probably the best situation he could have possibly landed in. It allowed him to play his brand of football and mask his weaknesses ....

76Texan
03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
A lot? I can't find one on this board after a search. I found one that said he was a cancer in KC, but that was it aside from this thread. This board has posts that go back many years, so it's safe to assume someone around here would be using that term with his name if he was seen that way. Maybe he was in KC or Baltimore, but certainly not in Houston.

It tells me they didn't do their homework, because his contract expired in Houston.

Oh no! Players challenged Harbaugh's decision? That's what you think a cancer is? We obviously have very different ideas of what cancers are in regard to the NFL. Most notably, guys that are extremely selfish, egomaniacs, lazy, constant distractions and couldn't care less about the team are what I consider cancers. Guys like Albert Haynesworth, Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco, Randy Moss, etc are notoriously said to be cancers. Now they weren't that way their entire careers, but you probably know what I'm talking about. Putting Ed Reed in that class for protesting practice with pads is just dumb. You're applying the term to make him look bad.

Well good for you. Saying the guy is a cancer is pretty low though. He's been in that locker room long enough to where I would think he deserves better than assuming he's a cancer due to one incident or saying he was not a leader.
Man, Dutch, you don't need any more rep, LOL!

Stop making sense.

ObsiWan
Thats far from the truth .... We all liked Pollard .... We just knew he wasnt very good in coverage. His moving to Baltimore and being paired with Ed Reeed was probably the best situation he could have possibly landed in. It allowed him to play his brand of football and mask his weaknesses ....

In fact, some of us were willing to overlook his faulty coverage skills because we loved the fire he brought to the team.

djohn2oo8
Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider
Texans announce that Ed Reed's visit continues at Reliant Stadium. All is going smoothly so far and they're in same ballpark on expectations

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 05:43 PM

I didn't. I LOVED him. He was the beginning of the attitude change on our team. Loved him!

76Texan
03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Pretty sure Bob wouldn't send him on his way to Frisco in his jet.

Hey, you never know.
Last-ditch effort may just work; at least, it would show the effort.

I know, fat chance.
But wouldn't it be funny that he came to town with a lot of fanfare and leaves in obscurity?

Now don't tell me that Obama is sending Air Force One to collect him and force Shanahan to take Reed at all cost, no matter how big the deficit is, LOL!

houstonspartan
03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
I didn't. I LOVED him. He was the beginning of the attitude change on our team. Loved him!

You are getting rep for that one, my friend. Because you are 100 percent correct: Pollard was the "attitude" turning point for this team. He brought a heat to the Texans that we had ever, ever, EVER had before.

Completely correct, and well said.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
I wonder outside of Ed Reed if Rick Smith has another trick up his sleeve?

76Texan
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Texans announce that Ed Reed's visit continues at Reliant Stadium. All is going smoothly so far and they're in same ballpark on expectations

The suspense, daggumnit !

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
I wonder outside of Ed Reed if Rick Smith has another trick up his sleeve?

Could be working on another deal and announce at the same time.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFL
It's almost 5 in Houston. No way they complete Reed deal tonight. Rodeo on at Reliant, more than 60,000 coming to concert, I imagine.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
It's almost 5 in Houston. No way they complete Reed deal tonight. Rodeo on at Reliant, more than 60,000 coming to concert, I imagine.

Get this done ASAP!

Wonder what's taking so long? He's been here since 11 am already. 6 hours?

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM

Off he goes to Frisco...

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 05:56 PM
When Texans finalize Reed deal, they'll want to make big deal out of it. Rodeo takes over Reliant. Crowds at nite are humongous.

I think Reed will spend the night in Houston and they'll reach an agreement Friday.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

When Texans finalize Reed deal, they'll want to make big deal out of it. Rodeo takes over Reliant. Crowds at nite are humongous.

I think Reed will spend the night in Houston and they'll reach an agreement Friday.

LMAO they wanna announce it LeBron James Decision style on ESPN or something?

Who the eff cares!!!

Just get it done now!

:toropalm:

Rey
03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
He's looking for somewhere to live.

Texans generating more buzz with the delay. Just relax and enjoy the free agent foreplay...the climax will be over and done before you know it.

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Get this done ASAP!

Wonder what's taking so long? He's been here since 11 am already. 6 hours?

That's a lot of time to spend at a place.

Unless he likes Chuck'E Cheesy so much he forgets the time of the day, LOl!

Brisco_County
03-14-2013, 06:07 PM
He should make it a big media event where he announces that he's taking his talents to Stewart Beach.

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
I bet he'll be on a plane back to Baltimore tonight.

Norg
03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
im taking my talents down to TEXAS

I for on hope we dont sign ed reed put my name down for that boat

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Not a chance he goes back to Balty.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
That $6m per year Connor Barwin left Houston for could soon enough be earmarked for Ed Reed by the Texans. Things going great on his visit

htowntexans1985
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Texans generating more buzz with the delay. Just relax and enjoy the free agent foreplay...the climax will be over and done before you know it.

We're still talking about football aren't we? :backsout:

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:11 PM

LOL!

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Not a chance he goes back to Balty.

Not a chance he signs with Houston.

EllisUnit
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Wouldnt be so sure

Norg
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
u know what sucks about Houston we got a international Hub airport here in bush

he could fly to any where wine and dine with all 31 teams why not LOL

i think we got like 4 San fran flights that go out here every day LOL

TexanBacker93
03-14-2013, 06:16 PM

I think a lot of that could be attributed to this thing called um...coaching. I don't know the Dbacks coach for the Ravens, but Pollard was coached by David Gibbs here in Houston and also in KC. Now, I'm no expert on the position, but I think most people in Houston and maybe KC would believe that Gibbs wasn't very good. Considering the level that the Ravens secondary has played at I would imagine there is a good coach in place. You get a guy with ability and coach him right it makes a difference. Look at Kareem Jackson after we got Vance Joseph here.

TexanBacker93
03-14-2013, 06:18 PM

I think that's the real reason why we flew him in on the jet. We can keep him here longer.

76Texan

I dunno Nitro; you wouldn't spend so much time in a city for nothing.

At least we know both parties are pretty serious.

76Texan
I think that's the real reason why we flew him in on the jet. We can keep him here longer.

One-way ticket, LOL!

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM

you know, the same question passed thru my mind when I read that...

...as a follow-up query, if the manage to sign Reed, does this mean that the F.O. has blown their wad for this F/A season? That would be premature something or other...
:hides:

Norg
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
LOL reed is not leaving houston :koolaid: walks into the office door and it shuts behind him click click :P

EllisUnit
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
I think we will sign Reed but i would much rather sign Aso and move him to Safety if there is even the slightest chance it could happen.

Our secondary would def be the strongest part of our team with, Jojo, Kjac (cant believe i am saying that), Manning and Aso.

Scary to think about

The1ApplePie
03-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Young(ish) safeties with upside like Delmas, Phillips, and Laron Landry have already gotten signed and the Texans are still entertaining Old Man River

Is Huff still out there?

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:24 PM

...as a follow-up query, if the manage to sign Reed, does this mean that the F.O. has blown their wad for this F/A season? That would be premature something or other...

I see what you did there, LOL !

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:25 PM
I think we will sign Reed but i would much rather sign Aso and move him to Safety if there is even the slightest chance it could happen.

Our secondary would def be the strongest part of our team with, Jojo, Kjac (cant believe i am saying that), Manning and Aso.

Scary to think about

I believe LOL!

Rey
03-14-2013, 06:26 PM
I think a lot of that could be attributed to this thing called um...coaching. I don't know the Dbacks coach for the Ravens, but Pollard was coached by David Gibbs here in Houston and also in KC. Now, I'm no expert on the position, but I think most people in Houston and maybe KC would believe that Gibbs wasn't very good. Considering the level that the Ravens secondary has played at I would imagine there is a good coach in place. You get a guy with ability and coach him right it makes a difference. Look at Kareem Jackson after we got Vance Joseph here.

That and maybe playing with reed at the other safety helped some.

Norg
03-14-2013, 06:26 PM
why dont we just save a ****tt load of money and prob and injury and just get cheap ass

Babineaux, Jordan from Tenn steal are div foes trash :koolaid:

Hometown: Port Arthur, TX ...u ceee local kid : )

COme on guys LOL

man i remeber going into off season SS was least on the team in terms of need .....

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:27 PM
LOL reed is not leaving houston :koolaid: walks into the office door and it shuts behind him click click :P

You trip him if he walks out of there, LOL!
Otherwise, I blame you.

TexanBacker93
03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
That and maybe playing with reed at the other safety helped some.

I would think so. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't mind seeing Reed here. Not to help Manning, but if we draft a young safety that can learn from Reed.

For the right $$, though.

Rey
03-14-2013, 06:28 PM

I don't know about you, but I'd feel satisfied. My world would be rocked. I'd probably need a cigarette.

I guess you're just insatiable.

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 06:31 PM
I see what you did there, LOL !

Rey started it.

The1ApplePie
03-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Nothing wrong with Reed for the right price.

But with a good CB, SS, and solid No. 2 CB, it seems kind of like a luxury signing. NT and OLB seem to be bigger holes, and WR seems to be slated for the first round of the draft.

Victor Bulter, former Dallas OLB/DE, would have been a great pick up for the Texans IMO, but I think he's gone.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Everything points toward Ed Reed getting something done within next 24 hours. Finalizing anything tonight is unlikely

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Hearing Ed Reed is highly impressed with Texans sales pitch and they are making a strong bid. They're known as good recruiters, closers

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Everything points toward Ed Reed getting something done within next 24 hours. Finalizing anything tonight is unlikely

Smokescreen for "I need to call Baltimore first before we make any decisions".

He's as good as gone, folks.

Bulls on Parade
03-14-2013, 06:39 PM
If only you knew what I do you'd jump for joy right now. I'll just say that I hope you like Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard and Eric Winston. There's going to be a trifecta signing going down tomorrow. I think the Texans are positioning themselves nicely well before the draft. Enjoy the evening guys. Let's call it a Friday of champions here in Houston!

NitroGSXR
03-14-2013, 06:41 PM
If only you knew what I do you'd jump for joy right now. I'll just say that I hope you like Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard and Eric Winston. There's going to be a trifecta signing going down tomorrow. I think the Texans are positioning themselves nicely well before the draft. Enjoy the evening guys. Let's call it a Friday of champions here in Houston!

If you DO work for the Texans then you should be immediately fired.

TEXANRED
03-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Young(ish) safeties with upside like Delmas, Phillips, and Laron Landry have already gotten signed and the Texans are still entertaining Old Man River

Is Huff still out there?

Huff is still out there and for good reason.

TEXANRED
03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
If you DO work for the Texans then you should be immediately fired.

Why? The only thing wrong with BOP is that horrible horrible name. Now that Barwin is gone can we drop that terrible name?

JCTexan
03-14-2013, 06:44 PM

Except the entire Ravens defense is leaving with him. Cary Williams, Paul Kruger, Rey Lewis, Bernard Pollard & Dannell Ellerbe are all gone from the Ravens defense.

ArlingtonTexan
03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Nothing wrong with Reed for the right price.

But with a good CB, SS, and solid No. 2 CB, it seems kind of like a luxury signing. NT and OLB seem to be bigger holes, and WR seems to be slated for the first round of the draft.

Victor Bulter, former Dallas OLB/DE, would have been a great pick up for the Texans IMO, but I think he's gone.

Huh? there is not a starting level FS on the roster.

Anyway, Victor butler is still available and was a pick when Wade was still in Dallas.

JCTexan
03-14-2013, 06:48 PM

The only thing that makes me question this is Pollard. He was terrible for the Texans in 2010 and would have to accept a backup role here since Manning & Reed are better.

GP
03-14-2013, 06:48 PM

You might end up being the only person who gets this correct!

Oh man, what a waste of Internet ink if he used us to get a better deal somewhere else. LOL!

Hold on a sec, are you saying that you have information that we're signing all three of those guys??? How the hell we gonna' sign two FA safeties when we already have one named Danieal Manning? How we had cap space to sign those three guys?

Or are you just clowning? Cuz you said "If only you knew what I do....you'd jump for joy right now." What does that mean?

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
The only thing that makes me question this is Pollard. He was terrible for the Texans in 2010 and would have to accept a backup role here since Manning & Reed are better.

Don't completely agree.
Bad in coverage? Yes.
Good in run support? Yes.

I liked his intensity. We needed it at the time. Needed it again when Cush got sidelined.

Bulls better not be wrong:rake: about this.

Lucky
03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
If only you knew what I do you'd jump for joy right now. I'll just say that I hope you like Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard and Eric Winston. There's going to be a trifecta signing going down tomorrow.
Quite the scoop there, scoop. If true, I hope they got some bargins. These free agent contracts have been outrageous so far.

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
You might end up being the only person who gets this correct!

Oh man, what a waste of Internet ink if he used us to get a better deal somewhere else. LOL!

Hold on a sec, are you saying that you have information that we're signing all three of those guys??? How the hell we gonna' sign two FA safeties when we already have one named Danieal Manning? How we had cap space to sign those three guys?

Or are you just clowning? Cuz you said "If only you knew what I do....you'd jump for joy right now." What does that mean?

He best not be fooling around; we have "methods" for posters that lead us astray...
:cutthroat:

Rey
03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Pollard would be perfect as the third safety we bring in to play up in the box. Leave Reed and manning deep, let pollard play that semi-lb role.

PapaL
03-14-2013, 07:00 PM

The flood of rep coming your way will be of epic proportions...one way or another. :user:

The1ApplePie
03-14-2013, 07:03 PM
He best not be fooling around; we have "methods" for posters that lead us astray...
:cutthroat:

Put him in a dress and a wig and send him over to Texan_Bill's?

ObsiWan
Pollard would be perfect as the third safety we bring in to play up in the box. Leave Reed and manning deep, let pollard play that semi-lb role.

Oooh... I like that.
Bet Wade does too.
Pollard doesn't have to cover. He can go head-hunting for QBs.
Reed doesn't have to play run support. He can gather up all the balls frightened QB launch in panic.

okay, Obs... sloooow down
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfPp_9r1Pbn5HJCfejBBOFt-K2oJXXbXCuO5th4p3cQScB72oLEw
ain't nuttin; oh-Fish-shull happened yet....

76Texan
The flood of rep coming your way will be of epic proportions...one way or another. :user:

Hahahaha hahahaha

GP
03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Quite the scoop there, scoop. If true, I hope they got some bargins. These free agent contracts have been outrageous so far.

I just don't see it. How the hell are we going to free up enough space to sign two guys off a Super Bowl win, AND the guy we kicked to the curb last year who has got to have a pretty strong grudge against us? Plus, two of those three guys play *drum roll please* SAFETY! We're going to spend cap space on adding two safeties and Eric Winston? LOL. No way that happens. None.

Eh, I don't know. I think he'd be a better option for covering the damn Patriots and Broncos' TEs they like to run at LBs. Face it, that situation is what ate our lunches against the Patriots. TWICE. We couldn't cover the seam routes that the TE or the little runt Welker always ran against us on 3rd down. And we're going to face those same match ups again if we don't do something,,,,Pollard is a guy who can stick with them AND hit like a Mack truck on a quick twitch, perfect for those timing routes where he can tee off on a TE or slot WR.

Quite true. I will definitely be repping the guy one way or another.

He is either just a little sloppy at happy hour sometime, or he's got the info that he says he has. All debts will be collected, BOP. :pirate:

Rey
03-14-2013, 07:18 PM
I just don't see it. How the hell are we going to free up enough space to sign two guys off a Super Bowl win, AND the guy we kicked to the curb last year who has got to have a pretty strong grudge against us? Plus, two of those three guys play *drum roll please* SAFETY! We're going to spend cap space on adding two safeties and Eric Winston? LOL. No way that happens. None.

Eh, I don't know. I think he'd be a better option for covering the damn Patriots and Broncos' TEs they like to run at LBs. Face it, that situation is what ate our lunches against the Patriots. TWICE. We couldn't cover the seam routes that the TE or the little runt Welker always ran against us on 3rd down. And we're going to face those same match ups again if we don't do something,,,,Pollard is a guy who can stick with them AND hit like a Mack truck on a quick twitch, perfect for those timing routes where he can tee off on a TE or slot WR.

Quite true. I will definitely be repping the guy one way or another.

He is either just a little sloppy at happy hour sometime, or he's got the info that he says he has. All debts will be collected, BOP. :pirate:

Those are the types of players pollard would be keying on. Instead of a lb on a TE or rb it'd be that in the box safety.

Premier
03-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Incarcerated Bob IBN @incarceratedbob

IBN Sports Wrap - BREAKING: Source: Ed Reed Agrees to Contract! by Josh Gross http://shar.es/e5HB4 Ravens losing another huge piece...

Vance87
03-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Incarcerated Bob IBN @incarceratedbob

IBN Sports Wrap - BREAKING: Source: Ed Reed Agrees to Contract! by Josh Gross http://shar.es/e5HB4 Ravens losing another huge piece...

Incarcerated Bob is hit and miss, although he did break the Peyton Bronco stuff first. Apparently Reed really likes it here anyway. Halfway home it seems...

PLS DON'T OVERPAY RICK

Premier
03-14-2013, 07:27 PM
idk who his sources are, but ibn has been money on leaking tons of things. yup he did leak the broncos/manning thing days before espn did. hes been solid all offseason.. i believe hes building a rep that what he leaks is real info. i will say he comes off very unprofessional at times..

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 07:28 PM
IBN has actually been money this whole NFL offseason so far. He was the first to report the Mike Wallace signing and a whole bunch of others.

I know he's a hack but he's been like 90% so far this offseason.

GP
03-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Those are the types of players pollard would be keying on. Instead of a lb on a TE or rb it'd be that in the box safety.

Re-read your post. My bad, I see what you were saying...sorry about that.

GP
03-14-2013, 07:36 PM
idk who his sources are, but ibn has been money on leaking tons of things. yup he did leak the broncos/manning thing days before espn did. hes been solid all offseason.. i believe hes building a rep that what he leaks is real info. i will say he comes off very unprofessional at times..

I think he's hacking communications. There, I said it.

No way would random Joe have this much information on so many key superstars. Nobody has that much insider information via legitimate methods.

I mean, this guy is scooping the scoopers Schefter, La Canfora, Mort, etc.

IBN is hacking.

srrono
03-14-2013, 07:38 PM
I kinda think Reed is using the Texans to set his value then will sign somewhere else.

Texn4life
03-14-2013, 07:39 PM
I do think BOP has it right that the Texans are probably reaching out to get a few other things worked out, but I think Woodson is the target and not Pollard. Woodson left San Fran without a contract and is used to working in the slot. Even when he was used as a safety last year. I think the FO has a plan to get them both here somehow.

eriadoc
03-14-2013, 07:39 PM
YCuz you said "If only you knew what I do....you'd jump for joy right now." What does that mean?

He has a bunch of jerseys printed up in advance.

djohn2oo8
03-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Ed Reed is definitely staying overnight for his Texans visit, told "It's looking serious," per a source.

GP
I kinda think Reed is using the Texans to set his value then will sign somewhere else.

If so, then IBN was dead wrong.

He has a bunch of jerseys printed up in advance.

Oh gawd, he doesn't have handmade action figures of them, too, does he???

All I think of is the last scene in Blades of Glory.

ASidd_1990
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ed Reed is definitely staying overnight for his Texans visit, told "It's looking serious," per a source.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Ravens S Ed Reed spoke today like a man saying goodbye to Baltimore. Every sign now points to him getting done a deal in Houston on Friday.

:kingkong:

eriadoc
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh gawd, he doesn't have handmade action figures of them, too, does he???

All I think of is the last scene in Blades of Glory.

Hey, if you had pre-printed jerseys and handmade action figures of them, you'd be jumping for joy. :D

GP
03-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Hey, if you had pre-printed jerseys and handmade action figures of them, you'd be jumping for joy. :D

How do you determine which jersey to wear on game days?

I'm thinking home games are Winston. Away games are Reed. With the exception of night games, which belong to Pollard.

That's a workable time-share if I ever heard of one.

:handshake:

Corrosion
03-14-2013, 08:00 PM

You telling us you have an inside source ?! .... I dont buy it.

bigbrewster2000
03-14-2013, 08:08 PM

That's An awfully big plate of crow you are getting ready to eat. Or raven I guess in this particular situation

amazing80
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM

LOL that dude went on a limb......:toropalm:

Texan_Bill
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Right... Who was that DB a few years ago, from New England that fleeced us only to go back to New England??

srrono
03-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL
I'm assuming the Texans want Reed for his coverage skills, because in the games I watched he was pretty bad against the run.

Maddict5
03-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Right... Who was that DB a few years ago, from New England that fleeced us only to go back to New England??

yeah a few years ago.. when we hadnt won consecutive divisions and werent generally considered one of the best teams/real contenders.. time to move on

Lucky
03-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Leigh Bodden. Dodged a bullet on that one. Injured his shoulder and played 5 games in the NFL after signing a contract for $10 million guaranteed.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Agreed, Pollard would have to be coming off the bench, unless they make him an ILB (which I could probably see) & we can't be paying him vet min to do that. No way he'd come here for vet min after only been released a day ago.

If he'd been out there for a week or so, maybe.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Bulls on Parade we need you to respond ASAP.