PDA

View Full Version : Texans interested in FA S Charles Woodson.

ASidd_1990
03-13-2013, 10:09 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Carl Poston, who reps Charles Woodson, says Texans have contacted him bout Woodson, who's in San Fran. Ed Reed visiting Texans first.

Texans and 49ers lost free safeties. Now they're after the same guys. Woodson is visiting Niners. Reed comes to Houston on Thursday.

ASidd_1990
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
If Ed Reed leaves Texans without a contract, he could be headed to Niners. Woodson could be headed to Texans.

djohn2oo8
03-13-2013, 10:19 PM
The Colts are out of it for Reed

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
LaRon Landry very likely to sign with the Colts tonight. Would leave the 49ers and the next visit for Ed Reed if he doesn't sign with Texans

ASidd_1990
03-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Much rather have Ed Reed than Charles Woodson.

Can anyone put a player comparison?

aussie_texan
03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
so does that mean that either woodson or reed is a texan

Brisco_County
03-13-2013, 11:38 PM
It means the next two days will be suspenseful at the least.

Texecutioner
03-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Like this. Woodson would be a good guy to have on the team either way. Let's make it happen Rick.

Fili
03-13-2013, 11:42 PM
We better be. Our window is definitely closing and so is his.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Isn't Charles Woodson washed up by now? Would much rather have Ed Reed.

gg no re
03-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Ed Reed has the same neck injury as Peyton Manning. Both players aren't who they used to be, but I'd rather maximize shelf life.

jukhan
03-14-2013, 12:51 AM

i agree, definitely would take Ed Reed over Woodson

HJam72
03-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Can Ed Reed last until game 2 without a major injury....or death upon interception???

Thorn
03-14-2013, 08:46 AM
I do not want Ed Reed. I'd rather us not sign any DB in the off season than sign him.

nero THE zero
03-14-2013, 09:09 AM
so does that mean that either woodson or reed is a texan

Sounds like SF and Houston are vying for Reed and Woodson.

So we'll either have Woodson sign with Houston and Reed sign with SF or Woodson sign with SF and Reed sign with Houston.

From what's been said on Twitter it sounds like Woodson is our fallback plan. Interestingly, he's the more apt Quin replacement as he's much more capable of playing that dime LB role Quin played.

Mr teX
03-14-2013, 09:46 AM
I prefer woodson over Reed...Woodson's got that CB experience and can play in the slot as a 3rd cb if need be...he's also an excellent blitzer out of the slot like Quinn. He made the transition to that FS spot for GB last year...i think he's got a little bit more left in the tank than Reed.

EllisUnit
03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Reed is to injury prone, if we sign him we also HAVE to sign woodson cause Reed will get hurt the 2nd game and his back up better be starter material.

Just sign Woodson and lets avoid having to use up an extra IR spot

The1ApplePie
03-14-2013, 10:17 AM
I would prefer Woodson, as he seems to have something left in the tank.

I would have hoped that the Texans targeted someone with some upside, like Laron Landry, but with the cap situation, I think getting excited over a few over-the-hill safties is what we have to look forward to.

infantrycak
03-14-2013, 01:36 PM
What the heck is with people saying Reed is more injury prone than Woodson? Woodson has missed 10 games the past two seasons. Reed has started every one.

b0ng
03-14-2013, 01:38 PM
What the heck is with people saying Reed is more injury prone than Woodson? Woodson has missed 10 games the past two seasons. Reed has started every one.

People just typing without thinking about what is actually being typed. I would like to have either Reed or Woodson as both guys are still in the realm of pretty good.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Reed is a better pickup than Woodson, but I don't think either one is what this team needs to get over the hump. Hopefully one of them will sign for cheap and help us out for the year.

Mr teX
03-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Reed is a better pickup than Woodson, but I don't think either one is what this team needs to get over the hump. Hopefully one of them will sign for cheap and help us out for the year.

for what the texans like to do with their safeties (interchangeable), no...woodson is. the cb experience in the slot, blitzing from the slot, his knack for forcing fumbles, still a solid tackler, and his veteran leadership. Dude is largely credited for the development of Sam Shields and Tramon Williams. He'd be a good mentor to have here for whomever we bring in here to replace him at FS.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
for what the texans like to do with their safeties (interchangeable), no...woodson is. the cb experience in the slot, blitzing from the slot, his knack for forcing fumbles, still a solid tackler, and his veteran leadership. Dude is largely credited for the development of Sam Shields and Tramon Williams. He'd be a good mentor to have here for whomever we bring in here to replace him at FS.

Well, mentoring would be nice to have, if we had any safety to mentor. I honestly don't expect the Texans to draft a safety with a 3rd or higher if they sign Reed or Woodson. I think they will go for other positions that have holes and spend a 5-7th on safety like they always have. I'm leery about picking up a guy for "mentoring" purposes, unless they are really cheap. 2m or less per year would be fine with me, but I doubt either one of these guys go for less than 4m a year.

If we are talking about 2013 on-field impact, I think Reed is the better bet, but either one of them could miss games. Woodson only played in 9 of the Packers's 18 games last year. Reed at least played in every game, even if he sat out a half or whatever for a groin pull.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Thankfully we got Danieal Manning. He's not as good, imo, as either Woodson or Quin in the box. But he'll do fine if we get Reed to play center field. What might hurt, is having Demps play man. But if you've got KJax, Jjo, DMan, & Ed Reed in your backfield, you better be able to make it work with Demps/Keo.

If we get Woodson, then Manning plays center field, where he was much better than Quin, maybe a few notches below Reed in his prime, probably just as good as Reed now.

I've been down on Manning lately, but I've got to admit his flexibility is an asset in this situation.

GP
03-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Thankfully we got Danieal Manning. He's not as good, imo, as either Woodson or Quin in the box. But he'll do fine if we get Reed to play center field. What might hurt, is having Demps play man. But if you've got KJax, Jjo, DMan, & Ed Reed in your backfield, you better be able to make it work with Demps/Keo.

If we get Woodson, then Manning plays center field, where he was much better than Quin, maybe a few notches below Reed in his prime, probably just as good as Reed now.

I've been down on Manning lately, but I've got to admit his flexibility is an asset in this situation.

Almost every play, Manning was creeping down into the box to compensate for no Cushing. He was helping with run support.

Gotta' keep that in proper context.

In 2011, Manning was all over the field...primarily deeper in coverage and making plays. But sometimes when one worker is out for a few months, you have to cover his job at the expense of your own if the boss says so. I really think Wade had to have Manning down low to compensate for losing our best instinctual LB, Cushing.

With a more instinctual Safety alongside Manning, and Cushing back, it might be the cure that Wade Phillips wants. For all we know, Gary and Rick and Wade are on the same page in terms of signing what they feel is a more savvy Safety and then having the chance to go after a player on offense in round 1.

Wade has the first round pick in both drafts he's been here for. At some point, Gary has to think he needs the chance to wrap up a WR or a TE that is higher talent (in theory) than the obligatory 3rd or 4th round TE or WR we normally take on draft day.

And, frankly, that could really screw up many teams' plans on draft day...thinking "Well, the Texans always go defense on round 1...that WR or that TE we want, he'll be there for us in round 2." So it sets up a chance for Gary and Rick to maybe steal a guy on offense. Just thinking out loud here. LOL.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Almost every play, Manning was creeping down into the box to compensate for no Cushing. He was helping with run support.

Gotta' keep that in proper context.

In 2011, Manning was all over the field...primarily deeper in coverage and making plays.

Yeah, I got that.

Double Barrel
03-14-2013, 06:54 PM

yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I kept reading it over and over and finally looked it up. Reed has started every game for the past two seasons.

It's like one cow starts mooing the entire herd repeats it.

Texan_Bill
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM

:foottap: You have to even ask??

I think Reed has missed somewhere around 10 games his entire career.

scourge
03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
I wonder if any team has inquired as to whether a veteran CB like Jammer would be willing to make the switch to FS at this point in their career?

I'd rather him than Reed or Woodson.

Rufus Jarvis
03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
I wonder if any team has inquired as to whether a veteran CB like Jammer would be willing to make the switch to FS at this point in their career?

I'd be for/with that. Jammer can still play and he is a big CB.

Grams
03-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Jammer? He can't cover a grandmother.

badboy
03-15-2013, 09:11 PM
An injured player on the field is not always what I want to see. Saying Reed missed ten games does not mean he was effective. It may mean no one behind him like on our roster.

Rufus Jarvis
03-15-2013, 09:18 PM

No, I think that Jammer is a very talented DB that still can play at a very high level.

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 09:36 PM

Depends, sadly there are a lot of 25 year old grandmothers out there now :kitten:

scourge
03-16-2013, 04:59 PM

and you are basing this off of what? He could step in and start at the very least as a #2 for most teams.

He would be a perfect fit for us at FS. He's 6'0 200 pounds, and even at 33 faster and a better tackler than Quinn ever was. He's only missed 2 games in 10 seasons, so he's less prone to injury than Reed or Woodson.