PDA

View Full Version : Nnamdi a Texan????

HoustonFrog
03-13-2013, 03:42 PM
In the mix

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

CB Nnamdi Asomugha's potential destinations include Texans, 49ers, Broncos, and Cardinals, per league source.

brakos82
03-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Would this mean we officially won 2011 Free Agency? :kitten:

DX-TEX
03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Give me Aso on the cheap. Him, JJoe and Kareem Jackson at the CB's and Woodson and Manning at Safties? Yes please!

Playoffs
03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
ProFootballTalk = ignore.

rolyat93
03-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Give me Aso on the cheap. Him, JJoe and Kareem Jackson at the CB's and Woodson and Manning at Safties? Yes please!

Do you think they'd move Kareem to S if they signed Aso?

He's obviously excelled as a CB but I think his skillset fits that of a safety as well.

DX-TEX
03-13-2013, 03:48 PM

He's obviously excelled as a CB but I think his skillset fits that of a safety as well.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mac3x3mzkj1ruj2iwo1_400.gif

brakos82
03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NYcSyje.gif

fiasco west
03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
I think he'd do better here since Wade loves putting his corners on a island.

We definitely need secondary help period. Remember we are thin there and a injury could ruin it all.

Nawzer
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
I think at this point we're inquiring about everyone and their uncles.

TexCanada
I wonder what kind of contract he would command. He seems like he'd be out of our price range, but it's possible he could take less to play in a defensive scheme that suits him.

ASidd_1990
John McClain: Texans love their starting CBs Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson. Unless Asomugha is ready to move to S he won't be coming to Houston.

Mr teX
03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, we do like to run press man & that was his specialty in Oakland. In Philly they didn't run too much of that & their pass rush was trash. I just can't see him here though.

Where would he play in our secondary? Not physically enough for SS, not fast enough for FS but the safety position is where most good cb's go to die...

TheMatrix31
03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
I think he'd do better here since Wade loves putting his corners on a island.

We definitely need secondary help period. Remember we are thin there and a injury could ruin it all.

Yeah, I don't want any Alan Ball bull****.

djohn2oo8
03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield
#Texans will be looking for a safety who can play both spots, cover & hit. All 4 starting DBs in 2011-12 had CB experience

IDEXAN
03-13-2013, 04:15 PM
No way, silly. They aren't going to tie-up anymore coin in CB, and arguably it's now our strongest defensive position after DE.

powda
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM

What. Just what is daff really doing here?

Jackie Chiles
03-13-2013, 04:33 PM
What. Just what is daff really doing here?

Shaking in terror I assume.

mussop
03-13-2013, 04:35 PM
John McClain: Texans love their starting CBs Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson. Unless Asomugha is ready to move to S he won't be coming to Houston.

John McLaim don't know ****!

mussop
03-13-2013, 04:35 PM

MSR!! That was funny!!

False Start
03-13-2013, 04:46 PM

I dont know about that, hes got every buffet in the U.S. memorized by heart. :ahhaha:

ThaJokaa
03-13-2013, 04:52 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing...

TheMatrix31
03-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Well, if things go well with Ed Reed....we might not have to do that.

Sign Ed Reed, draft a rookie, and have him learn behind Reed.

Texn4life
03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Well, if things go well with Ed Reed....we might not have to do that.

Sign Ed Reed, draft a rookie, and have him learn behind Reed.

This is exactly what I said I would almost prefer yesterday. Not that I don't appreciate what Glover did for us, but I believe we can get a capable replacement in the draft and have him for a rookie contract for 4 or 5 years.

RT22
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Nnamdi also = Texans Pipe Dream.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Nnamdi also = Texans Pipe Dream.

Your contributions to this thread are insightful and indispensable.

RT22
03-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Thank you!

jukhan
03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL:

Because Quin signed with the Lions, the Texans have enough cap space to sign a veteran like Ed Reed.

wildroot
03-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Drafting a replacement for Glover means 2+ years of what we just went through with Kareem. A long painful learning experience.

Texn4life
03-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Drafting a replacement for Glover means 2+ years of what we just went through with Kareem. A long painful learning experience.

Kareem was thrown into the fire and wasn't prepared to start that first year. Drafting a young guy and having him be able to learn under a guy like Ed Reed for a year or 2 is completely different in my view. If we were drafting a guy to start right away I would agree with you.

Lucky
03-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Asomugha was a safety in college and moved to CB by the Raiders. It might be that point in his career where he moves back to safety (ala Rod Woodson). Nnamdi has the size to play safety (6'2" 210lbs).

badboy
03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Aso is guaranteed $4 million to be paid by Eagles this year. Texans could offer 1-2 M and he'd get decent check. Also, interesting to note he got no bonus with Philly.

Texn4life
03-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Asomugha was a safety in college and moved to CB by the Raiders. It might be that point in his career where he moves back to safety (ala Rod Woodson). Nnamdi has the size to play safety (6'2" 210lbs).

In Oakland he was also known as a solid tackler as well. I didn't watch many Eagles games the last couple of years, but do remember seeing highlights of him missing a few. I'd prefer Reed or Woodson, but wouldn't be throwing stuff mad over Nnamdi.

TexanBacker93
03-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Having 3 solid vets already in the backfield plus good coaching would mean a rookie would probably fare better now. KJax had little help that year.

Lucky
03-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Not necessarily. Jackson was taught some horrible techniques by the previous staff and had to be de-programmed by Vance Joseph. The key is identifying talent. The last group of DBs the Texans brought in (Harris, Carmichael, Keo) were severely lacking in that department. I can think of some rookie safeties that started for Super Bowl winners. A couple of them wound up with the Texans at the end of their careers.

Wolf6151
03-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Aso is guaranteed $4 million to be paid by Eagles this year. Texans could offer 1-2 M and he'd get decent check. Also, interesting to note he got no bonus with Philly.

Quin signed with Detroit for $5 mil., I assume we were offering something in the 4 mil. range since he didn't sign with us. Offer that money to Aso and move him to FS, if he's willing. I know it's a dream that he'd sign with us and move to FS, but one can always hope. I think his experience and skill set would fit in perfectly as a FS.

Come on Rick make it happen.

Lucky
03-13-2013, 05:53 PM
In Oakland he was also known as a solid tackler as well. I didn't watch many Eagles games the last couple of years, but do remember seeing highlights of him missing a few. I'd prefer Reed or Woodson, but wouldn't be throwing stuff mad over Nnamdi.
I think Asomugha was in a bad situation in Philly. I'm a little concerned about Woodson and Reed's health.

Texn4life
03-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I think Asomugha was in a bad situation in Philly. I'm a little concerned about Woodson and Reed's health.

Very viable concerns, but I have a feeling a change of scenery could also energize Reed and cause him to prepare harder than ever. Woodson kind of had a freak injury last year though.

76Texan
03-13-2013, 06:29 PM

Did you see that big contract of his?
And he refused to rework his contract.
That means he wants as much money as he can get, and his agent think that he can get it.
Therefore, it seems very unlikely that the Texans can afford him.

Uncle Rico
03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Cut Manning and sign both Aso and Reed play them at both S positions.

I think the whole 'have a big safety' back there is sometimes blown out of proportion, yes these guys arent known to lay the wood, but they arent gonna Philip Buchanon a run play either - I dont think. Obviously just an idea that is KRAY, but i think it could work.

Allstar
03-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Did you see that big contract of his?
And he refused to rework his contract.
That means he wants as much money as he can get, and his agent think that he can get it.
Therefore, it seems very unlikely that the Texans can afford him.

Pretty sure the report was that Philly wasn't interested in reworking the deal, they were just ready to move on.

tru80texan
03-13-2013, 09:56 PM

If I remember correctly, Asomugha played some S early in his career as a Raider & I think this is were the Texans would want him. Just like Reed & Woodson I think he would only be a temporary stop gap for a year or 2 at S. Can't say I would be upset because I believe he still can play, but he will probably want to redeem himself as a CB.

Couldn't agree w/ you more on this one! I knew we could agree!! Lol! :fingergun:

McLame is horrible as a so-called "insider" & for the most part he doesn't seem to know much. This is the same goof who claimed over & over Mario was the Texans #1 priority when by Mario's own admission they never even really offered him anything. What a joke...

Texan_Bill
03-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Cut Manning and sign both Aso and Reed play them at both S positions.

I think the whole 'have a big safety' back there is sometimes blown out of proportion, yes these guys arent known to lay the wood, but they arent gonna Philip Buchanon a run play either - I dont think. Obviously just an idea that is KRAY, but i think it could work.

:gun:

And how do you propose they could pull that off with salary cap #'s???

Why don't we just sign every pro-bowl player out ther and yet, cut pro-bowl players with significant salary cap numbers? Hell, let's sign Reggie White to beef up the D-line. We could always talk Deoin and Ronnie Lott to come back...

If you were smart, bring in a corner and convert Kareem Jackson to a safety with Manning because Ed Reed (other than a short term answer) isn't really the answer....

In any event, this is a strong class for DB's. I suggest the Texans use a pick or two on DB's (preferably later rounds).

Uncle Rico
03-13-2013, 11:53 PM
:gun:

And how do you propose they could pull that off with salary cap #'s???

Why don't we just sign every pro-bowl player out ther and yet, cut pro-bowl players with significant salary cap numbers? Hell, let's sign Reggie White to beef up the D-line. We could always talk Deoin and Ronnie Lott to come back...

If you were smart, bring in a corner and convert Kareem Jackson to a safety with Manning because Ed Reed (other than a short term answer) isn't really the answer....

In any event, this is a strong class for DB's. I suggest the Texans use a pick or two on DB's (preferably later rounds).

Convince them this team is going to get them a ring. They've made their money, they will be paid a good portion by their previous team and give the discount. If I wanted to assemble an all pro roster, believe me i would start with better S's than the these two. My thinking was that Manning had a bad year. Will he regain form? Aso and Reed give you size and high IQ back there. You can find a hard hitter to plug into the nickle role if physicality in making a tackle is your cup of tea. Im looking at the possibility of looking at 2 guys on the market who have a great deal of talent IMO, and pairing them up to ball hawk, what i feel we need the most. Im not really trying to insinuate it could happen, but that the combo could be effective.

I bet Kareem would make an awesome FS, he's shut some people up and if the upward trend continues dude could be a stud.

With Ed Reed you get more than just football ability, which is still high. Leadership,experience,mentality. Intangibles. You have to make that move man, the timing is right. This team lacks leaders.

Corrosion
03-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Cut everyone and sign some street FA's.

FIFY

Cause thats all the cap room you'd have if we cut every player you have mentioned in the past two or three days.

Please put your brain back inside your head ..... and dont take it out to play with again.

dalemurphy
03-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Convince them this team is going to get them a ring. They've made their money, they will be paid a good portion by their previous team and give the discount. If I wanted to assemble an all pro roster, believe me i would start with better S's than the these two. My thinking was that Manning had a bad year. Will he regain form? Aso and Reed give you size and high IQ back there. You can find a hard hitter to plug into the nickle role if physicality in making a tackle is your cup of tea. Im looking at the possibility of looking at 2 guys on the market who have a great deal of talent IMO, and pairing them up to ball hawk, what i feel we need the most. Im not really trying to insinuate it could happen, but that the combo could be effective.

I bet Kareem would make an awesome FS, he's shut some people up and if the upward trend continues dude could be a stud.

With Ed Reed you get more than just football ability, which is still high. Leadership,experience,mentality. Intangibles. You have to make that move man, the timing is right. This team lacks leaders.

Reed and Manning work as a safety combo if we fix the linebacker depth/talent and also put some explosiveness back in the offense. Here's why:

If our front 7 can consistently pressure the QB, then ballhawks in the secondary, even aged ones, will have opportunities for a lot of big plays. If our offense can score and keep teams from pounding the running game, then our cover safeties won't be exposed in the box.

In theory, I love the idea of manning and reed at safety, assuming other needs are addressed. However, I'd also be sure to add some depth behind them, given their age and recent injury history of Ed Reed... In other words, safety still needs to be addressed among the first 4 picks of the draft or with an additional free agent move... I do not want Keo on the roster!!!

Rey
03-14-2013, 07:30 AM
With how the rules are in today's NFL and with how the game is played, I'd rather have guys who excel in coverage over guys who are physical. Aso and reed at safety would be excellent. I'd cut manning and if I needed to I'd cut Antonio to make it work.

BigBull17
03-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Reed and Manning work as a safety combo if we fix the linebacker depth/talent and also put some explosiveness back in the offense. Here's why:

If our front 7 can consistently pressure the QB, then ballhawks in the secondary, even aged ones, will have opportunities for a lot of big plays. If our offense can score and keep teams from pounding the running game, then our cover safeties won't be exposed in the box.

In theory, I love the idea of manning and reed at safety, assuming other needs are addressed. However, I'd also be sure to add some depth behind them, given their age and recent injury history of Ed Reed... In other words, safety still needs to be addressed among the first 4 picks of the draft or with an additional free agent move... I do not want Keo on the roster!!!

It was also a secondary plagued with missed assignments and bad angles. These guys wont ave those sort of problems. Just have to protect Nnambi and Reed from having to play the run. If we land these two, our secondary will be nice.

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 08:52 AM
I'd look for Nnamdi in a 49ers uniform. It's San Fran's turn to one-up the Seahawks.

BullNation4Life
03-14-2013, 11:08 AM
I'd look for Nnamdi in a 49ers uniform. It's San Fran's turn to one-up the Seahawks.

That would be going in the opposite direction then if they sign Aso...

I would sign that guy unless he agrees to move to FS...

GP
03-14-2013, 11:12 AM

It's going to have to be someone who has a lot of cap space.

I don't think he signs for a long, long time. He took a long, long time to sign with the Eagles. He and his agent do this: They wait and wait, making sure the desperate teams see he's still available...preying on the sense of insecurity that a weaker team, flush with cash to spend, has in regards to fearing that if they wait any longer they won't get him.

There's a few teams who are flush with cap space, he has to sign there. Or he busts someone else's cap situation if the team is up against the cap and has other needs. That's my theory, at least.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
if Nnamdi signs with the 49ers do they even have capspace to go after Charles Woodson?

DX-TEX
03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
if Nnamdi signs with the 49ers do they even have capspace to go after Charles Woodson?

If I remember correctly they are in a VERY good cap situation.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 12:00 PM
If I remember correctly they are in a VERY good cap situation.

That secondary would be insane.

EllisUnit
03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
With how the rules are in today's NFL and with how the game is played, I'd rather have guys who excel in coverage over guys who are physical. Aso and reed at safety would be excellent. I'd cut manning and if I needed to I'd cut Antonio to make it work.

Reed is getting up there in age. Manning has a lot of ball left to play. Would not cut manning. He had kind of a down season but come on thats not a smart buisness decesion