PDA

View Full Version : Texans' TE Status

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Houston Texans Have Plenty of Depth at Tight End
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/13/houston-texans-have-plenty-of-depth-at-tight-end/?wt0kVEX5uZvBc00Z.99

Following the re-signing of second year player Philip Supernaw on March 11th, the Texans now have five tight ends on their roster including reserve/future signing Jake Byrne. Houston’s number one tight end is Owen Daniels, who finished last season with 62 receptions, 716 yards and six touchdowns, earning him a spot on the Pro Bowl roster. Daniels has been with Houston for six years and has been an solid starter from the beginning.

Daniels’ backup is Garrett Graham, who emerged as a starter in the making last season when he had to fill in for Daniels briefly because of an injury. Graham didnt get a lot of playing time, but when he did he made the most of it, rallying up 28 receptions, 263 yards and three touchdowns–not bad numbers considering who he’s playing behind. One thing most people don’t know is that Daniels, Graham and Byrne all played their college football at the University of Wisconsin, while Supernaw played at Ouachita Baptist and Logan Brock played at TCU.

The other 3 tight ends–Supernaw, Byrne and Brock–have yet to make an impact on this offense, but head coach Gary Kubiak definitely has high hopes for his group of tight ends. Considering the play we have seen from this group so far there’s no reason to doubt them.

fiasco west
03-13-2013, 03:35 PM
So...are we taking two more TEs in the draft?

Fili
03-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Can they play safety?

eriadoc
03-13-2013, 04:06 PM
90 catches for 979 yards and 9 TDs from the top two TEs. Not bad.

thunderkyss
03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Houston Texans Have Plenty of Depth at Tight End
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/13/houston-texans-have-plenty-of-depth-at-tight-end/?wt0kVEX5uZvBc00Z.99
...reserve/future signing Jake Byrne

What is a reserve/future signing? How does that work?

silvrhand
03-13-2013, 07:30 PM
We are fine at TE, we have other issues, TE is definitely not one of them, and you know Gary is going to draft yet another TE in the 6th with all the extra picks lol, he can't help it.

76Texan
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
What is a reserve/future signing? How does that work?

I've been wondering about this, too.

So I dig out the CBA and read some of it.

These players can attend OTA (maximum 4 days a week, 4 hours per day).
They got paid per day ($175 for 2013); they are covered just as any other player regarding worker comp, and stuff like that in case of injury.

In TC, they earn per diem just like a rookie.

Basically, they are guaranteed an invitation to TC.
(Having familiarity with the system, their chance of making the roster is better than signing with another team.)

The club, in return, retain the right to the players.

Insideop
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM
We are fine at TE, we have other issues, TE is definitely not one of them, and you know Gary is going to draft yet another TE in the 6th with all the extra picks lol, he can't help it.

I disagree that the Texans "are fine at TE." Supernaw, Byrne, and Brock have proved nothing in the NFL. Graham has only 1 season under his belt and OD is starting to get up there in age (30), and both of them have missed time with injuries. Kubes even said it was a risk last season going with only 2 TE plus Casey, and it showed against NE when Graham was out with an injury. My hope is they go after Williams from Alabama or Reed from N. Mexico in the later rounds (5th-7th). Both are big and known for their blocking and "soft hands." Reed is the younger brother of Brooks Reed. Neither got much opportunity to do much receiving but could be very good.

redwhiteblue
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
I am very concerned about TE depth considering Graham had two concussions last year

El Tejano
03-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Can they play safety?

No, but we know Graham can play LB. LOL!

gg no re
03-14-2013, 12:17 AM
I just want Supernaw to succeed based off his name alone.

HJam72
03-14-2013, 08:39 AM
The question is whether we can find TEs in the draft to play safety, fullback, #2 WR, and MLB. That's the way we roll... :kitten: