PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents we should look at

mussop
03-09-2013, 03:16 PM
We know we don't have alot of money so we will be looking at guys that won't cost much.

This guy really improved into a serviceable LB for the Giants last year.

Chase Blackburn
Free Agent
Linebacker
Ht: 6.3 | Wt: 242

Read more: (http://www.kffl.com/player/12316/NFL/chase-blackburn#ixzz2N1hsLtUH)

I have no idea what Reggie Bush will command on the open market but he would be an upgrade over Justin Forsett.

CloakNNNdagger
03-09-2013, 03:25 PM
We know we don't have alot of money so we will be looking at guys that won't cost much.

This guy really improved into a serviceable LB for the Giants last year.

Chase Blackburn
Free Agent
Linebacker
Ht: 6.3 | Wt: 242

Read more: (http://www.kffl.com/player/12316/NFL/chase-blackburn#ixzz2N1hsLtUH)

I have no idea what Reggie Bush will command on the open market but he would be an upgrade over Justin Forsett.

Bush has made $10 mil/yr for the past 2 years.......We can't afford him even at a substantial "discount." Meanwhile, the Lions and Cardinals are hot on his heels. Whatever he gets this year, you know will be overpaid.

WolverineFan
03-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Bush may or may not be an upgrade over Forsett, but why would you pay high dollar for a backup RB when you already have Tate in the mix and Forsett can probably be re-signed on the cheap. Makes no sense.

mussop
03-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Bush may or may not be an upgrade over Forsett, but why would you pay high dollar for a backup RB when you already have Tate in the mix and Forsett can probably be re-signed on the cheap. Makes no sense.

From everything I have been reading and hearing he wont be able to command a big contract this offseason.

Uncle Rico
03-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Anquan Boldin

Mari-OWNED!
03-09-2013, 06:39 PM
If in the terrible case that the Texans do not re-sign Glover Quin, I wouldn't mind them going after Louis Delmas as a Plan B.

Lucky
03-10-2013, 10:16 AM
If in the terrible case that the Texans do not re-sign Glover Quin, I wouldn't mind them going after Louis Delmas as a Plan B.
Delmas is not going to come as any kind of bargain and he has had injury issues the past 2 years. If Quin doesn't take an offer from the Texans, there will be a safety on the market that will take the deal. I still think that Quin is not highly valued on the FA market (doesn't create turnovers) and will re-sign here for around $4 million/year.

mussop
03-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Delmas is not going to come as any kind of bargain and he has had injury issues the past 2 years. If Quin doesn't take an offer from the Texans, there will be a safety on the market that will take the deal. I still think that Quin is not highly valued on the FA market (doesn't create turnovers) and will re-sign here for around $4 million/year.

I agree but if not Dawan Landry is now a free agent and a similar player.

Lucky
03-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I agree but if not Dawan Landry is now a free agent and a similar player.
But is Landry going to take less money than Quin? I think we're talking about guys in the same price range, which is why I think ultimately Quin will re-sign here.

GP
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Anquan Boldin

I don't know what savings we would get from this, but it was from a Kuharsky article over at ESPN:

1. Cut Kevin Walter, and let McCain, Dobbins, and Quin walk.

2. Restructure AJ and Antonio Smith.

With those moves made, and I can't remember if that included letting Cody go too, but I'd try to get this FA move made right here, below:

3. Sign Anquan Boldin.

The reasons:

A. Walter is done. We have K-Mart and I'll take his return game and ceiling as a WR to get the job done that Walter is known for providing us. Seriously, what could be lost for cutting Walter and trusting K-Mart who will be in his second season and eager to put a shaky freshman year behind him?

B. McCain was coming on strong as a nickel guy, but let's not overpay.

C. Dobbins was my favorite LB past two years because he added low-cost value and reliable run-stopping skills. But, he's injury prone. Time to let go.

D. Quin is the toughest to let walk. But I just don't see how we can retain him, plus I'd rather sacrifice him and gain a pretty boss WR in Boldin.

------------

Anquan Boldin is legit. He's not Eric Moulds. He just took Flacco onto his back, that whole team onto his back, and navigated the Ravens through the playoffs and onto a SB win. He bails out his QB. And frankly, that's what we need: Another "Andre Johnson" type WR. We don't need the little slot WRs who can't get separation nor YAC to save their life out there. We need a BIG MAN who has the veteran skills to burn opposing DBs and get the bail-out pass from the average QB.

I had said I wasn't in favor of wasting any draft picks on offense if it meant giving Gary and Matt tools that we could have used on defense (since I don't think Gary/Matt Ball would even utilize those tools properly to begin with; therefore it'd be a waste). BUT.....that's regarding unseasoned rookies who are out of college. When it comes to a guy like Boldin, if he wants to help a team who is on the cusp of maybe getting him a second SB ring??? And a chance to show the Ravens what they lost??? Yeah, you grab that guy and hope you get to play the Ravens in the playoffs for the chance to go to the Super Bowl. Period.

panamamyers
03-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Massaquoi is who we need to sign at receiver. Easily the highest upside combined with lowest outlay needed in terms of money.

pec0sb0b
03-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I would not be surprised if the Texans add Eric Winston or another free-agent tackle. With Butler out last season they were forced to platoon Brooks (a guard) and Newton ( a seventh-round pick) at right tackle. The result was a dramatic decrease in yards per carry to the strong side. Newton had recent surgery...will he be ready? Will Butler be back at all? They need a body to platoon at right tackle that they're not going to get in a rookie.

ASidd_1990
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
WTF are the Texans doing?

Sitting on their asses as usual.

Anquan Boldin for a friggin 6th round pick?

Screw you Rick Smith!

BigBull17
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Screw you Rick Smith!

...like we have the money to trade for him..It's not happening. Also, we need some form of speed, and Boldin doesn't get separation anymore. Just has crazy hands.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Screw you Rick Smith!

lol

ASidd_1990
03-11-2013, 03:45 PM
lol

What's there to laugh out loud about?

Texans are doomed for mediocrity unless we get a 2nd gamechanging WR to pair with Andre.

Sickening to see Andre have to do all the work when Walters scrub self can't make plays.

Maddening front office to say the least.

ASidd_1990
03-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Cut Wade Smith and Kevin Walter.

Sign Eric Winston and draft Tavon Austin with our 1st round pick.

Superbowl bound baby!

amazing80
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Cut Wade Smith and Kevin Walter.

Sign Eric Winston and draft Tavon Austin with our 1st round pick.

Superbowl bound baby!

Go back to Madden while the rest of us adults talk.

ASidd_1990
03-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Go back to Madden while the rest of us adults talk.

Sorry just fustrated with the activity or lack thereof of the front office.

Nawzer
03-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Get used to it. Texans have never been big players in free agency other than when they signed JJo and Manning couple of years ago. We'll probably sign a vet or two.

amazing80
03-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Its fine we all get antsy around this time of year. Just be patient, our team is good condition for FUTURE cap (signing Cushing, Watt, Jackson) and thats what we need. We will have lots of draft picks to play with once comp picks are assigned. Just gotta remain patient.

deucetx
03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Eh, not much to talk about with our lack of funds. Guess we can only look at spots they may want a veteran presence. First that comes to mind is OT since Newton is already a 3rd year guy and we have absolutely nothing behind him and Brown proven to be a swing tackle. May want someone at a bargain that sees themself capable of taking Newton's job to create some competition there.

Next is WR and folks can probably forget the Mike Wallace's of the world barring some unforseen miracle of restructures or cutting half the roster. So got to look at the Steve Breaston's or Ramsen Bardens of the world. Though you still will address this in the draft because no one for that price is becoming your developmental future. But this probably pushes the selection to something like 2nd round.

Probably cite a ILB for depth purposes as well. Another Dobbins type. Affordable and adequate. Just no more ex-Cowboys...

But really it's all about if we can retain Quin and then Barwin. I'm not sure of our chances with the safety market already getting smaller which makes Quin that much more attractive to other clubs.

Uncle Rico
03-11-2013, 08:39 PM
so the texans couldnt part with say a 5th for Boldin? Jesus Christ, a 6th rounder, and then to the 49ers of all teams? I think the Ahman Green debacle has really shellshocked ol' Bobby Mac.

Seahawks also nab Percy Harvin. Rich gettin' richer while the mediocre miss their windows.

dalemurphy
03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Quin, or LLandry, Delmas, Phillips, Chung at safety (mikell, d. Lnadry, sensabaugh if those don't work out)

Victor Butler, Manny Lawson, Akeem Jordan, McIntosh, KRivers, Brad Jones, L. Grant or Wheeler at LB

Massoquoi, Hixon, Ramses Barden, Ted Ginn, Breaston at WR

Dustin Keller, Fasano, Keller, boss, Cook at TE.

Lucky
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Dustin Keller, Fasano, Keller, boss, Cook at TE.
You must like Keller a lot, to list him twice. Not seeing the Texans bringing in a name TE. A scrap heap guy (like Dreessen in 2007) is more likely.

mussop
03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
so the texans couldnt part with say a 5th for Boldin? Jesus Christ, a 6th rounder, and then to the 49ers of all teams? I think the Ahman Green debacle has really shellshocked ol' Bobby Mac.

Seahawks also nab Percy Harvin. Rich gettin' richer while the mediocre miss their windows.

What makes you think the Ravens would of even traded Bolden for first rounder to us?

leebigeztx
03-12-2013, 03:35 AM
Sammy Lee Hill or Terrance Knighton. Both are massive nt type guys. Both are 26yrs old. 4yrs 14m with 6m guarantee should do it.

Randy Moss. Yep,bringing him up again. He proved to me he still can run which is important. He says he wants to play 2 more yrs. Ok, I would give him a 2 yr 6m deal with a 1m roster bonus this year and next year. I would give him td,yds,and rec bonus based on last yrs production.

Corrosion
03-12-2013, 06:32 AM
You must like Keller a lot, to list him twice. Not seeing the Texans bringing in a name TE. A scrap heap guy (like Dreessen in 2007) is more likely.

I dont see them signing a high profile TE free agent ..... But I could see them spending a significant draft pick (2 thru 4) on one as OD may be done after next season.

Im more concerned with RT right now than anything else ....They have Newton who just had surgery and no other tackle aside from Brown who has played in an NFL game. I wasnt sold on Newton to begin with ... They could resign Butler and or Harris but .... injury concerns and a significant decline in the running game , I want an upgrade at RT and WR some how some way.

EllisUnit
03-12-2013, 06:49 AM
We need to find any agent that is free. We need a total 100% "free" agent any one of those would be great at this point. :whip:

Corrosion
03-12-2013, 07:02 AM
We need to find any agent that is free. We need a total 100% "free" agent any one of those would be great at this point. :whip:

Meh , you usually get what you pay for ....:kitten:

Clamp
03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Just saw on NFL.com that the dolphins let Karlos Dansby go. He is 31, but he had 133 tackles last year, 101 solo, and didn't miss a game despite tearing a bicep muscle. Has he played ILB in a 3-4 system before? I always got the impression that he was a smart player. His age could bring his price down a little bit. He was released after the Dolphins got Ellerbe from the Ravens.

Also Kevin Burnett is rumored to be released soon as well. Any thoughts on either of these guys playing for the Texans?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150122/article/karlos-dansby-out-after-dolphins-add-dannell-ellerbe

Vance87
03-12-2013, 09:19 PM
How much better would he be than James? And would a marginal upgrade be worth the $$ we'd have to dole out for him?

Dolphins fans reaction:

http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?75341-Merged-3x-Dansby-is-getting-released

Clamp
03-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Oops, sorry I didn't think to look for a free agent thread. Thanks for the move, Mod.

pec0sb0b
03-13-2013, 02:46 AM
- Sources have confirmed the Texans have inquired about free agent wide receiver, Greg Jennings. No contract was offered to Jennings, but contact was made.

- Also, the Texans have put their feelers out on free agent defensive back Charles Woodson. Woodson is scheduled to be in San Francisco on Wednesday talking with the 49ers. -http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10751

Dutchrudder
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm curious to see how much TE Brandon Myers goes for. He would be an excellent #2 TE to have in the passing game. His blocking isn't top notch, but he's better than our other TEs in that regard. For how much this team utilizes 2 TE sets, we could really get some use out of him.

fiasco west
03-13-2013, 10:57 AM
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

Haha, the Texans do not show up one time on this list.

So either they are talking to no one and doing nothing or they do a really good job of hiding what they plan.

I know it's likely the latter but it's no fun for us fans.

djohn2oo8
03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

Haha, the Texans do not show up one time on this list.

So either they are talking to no one and doing nothing or they do a really good job of hiding what they plan.

I know it's likely the latter but it's no fun for us fans.

The Texans never usually divulge their plan. No one knew they would sign both Manning and Joseph. The only thing we know right now is they reached out to Greg Jennings and Charles Woodson.

pec0sb0b
03-13-2013, 02:35 PM
If Quin goes to Detroit, I think Michael Huff could bring the team the same versatility in Phillips' defensive scheme.

Huff’s Versatility

We see many safeties double as slot corners in sub packages but it’s very rare that a safety can make the move to a traditional cornerback role and have success. That’s exactly what Huff did in Week 3 when injuries forced the move to left cornerback. The Pittsburgh Steelers attacked him often (completing eight of the 11 balls thrown his way), but they were mostly of the short variety and Huff’s -3.1 grade in that game stemmed mostly from his three missed tackles.

After the tough first game, Huff continued to show improvement and seemed to make the position switch official when he picked up three passes defensed and an interception (and a +2.3 coverage grade) against the Atlanta Falcons’ wide receiver duo of Roddy White and Julio Jones in Week 6. Huff finished the season at cornerback and graded at +2.1 at his new home. It was an impressive performance as he performed admirably at a position where most safeties would be exploited.

When you add it all up, opponents completed only 53 percent of passes into Huff’s coverage and he finished with nine passes defensed and two interceptions. All of this came two years removed from Huff grading at +17.2 as our No. 2 safety in the league, and one year removed from his strong play when filling in as the team’s slot cornerback. He’s essentially succeeded in three different positions over a three-year period.

Any team looking to sign Huff will likely put him back at his more natural spot at safety, but his experience playing in the slot and on the outside will prove invaluable. In a league that covets versatility, Oakland’s releasing Huff may have vaulted him to the top of the free agent safety rankings.-https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/13/on-the-market-huff-and-heyward-bey/

ObsiWan
03-13-2013, 03:35 PM

Screw you Rick Smith!

http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/cb/cba5434f_patience_grasshopper.jpg

DX-TEX
03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
What they always do. What the Patriots are doing. What Denver is doing.
The Bills made a huge splash early in F/A last year; what good did it do them.
The Eagles were all the rage in F/A the year before; how did that work out?

The Broncos are signing Wes Welker. I think that makes them the AFC favorite next season

Dutchrudder
03-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

@ProFootballTalk
CB Nnamdi Asomugha's potential destinations include Texans, 49ers, Broncos, and Cardinals, per league source.

TheMatrix31
03-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Oh my!

ObsiWan
03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
The Broncos are signing Wes Welker. I think that makes them the AFC favorite next season

I haven't seen that on CBS or ESPN. You got a link or is this a twitter hoax?

TheMatrix31
03-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Maybe we move Kareem to safety if we sign Nnamdi?

Doppelganger
03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
He who wins in March does not usually win in February.

rolyat93
03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Maybe we move Kareem to safety if we sign Nnamdi?

Lol, jinx.

DX-TEX
03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
I haven't seen that on CBS or ESPN. You got a link or is this a twitter hoax?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/wes-welker-very-likely-to-land-with-denver/

Schefter just made it official

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Wes Welker has agreed to terms with Denver Broncos.

Expand

ObsiWan
03-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

@ProFootballTalk
CB Nnamdi Asomugha's potential destinations include Texans, 49ers, Broncos, and Cardinals, per league source.

Sounds like one of those SW airlines flights to me. Originate in Philly with stops in St. Louis, Denver, and Houston before landing in San Fran.
:D

ObsiWan
03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/wes-welker-very-likely-to-land-with-denver/

Schefter just made it official

All I see is tweets about the two parties talking; couldn't find anything in the Denver local news.

And even so, is Welker serious about signing there or just using them to try and force the Pats to give him a raise?

DX-TEX
03-13-2013, 04:03 PM
All I see is tweets about the two parties talking; couldn't find anything in the Denver local news.

And even so, is Welker serious about signing there or just using them to try and force the Pats to give him a raise?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Damn click the link

mussop
03-13-2013, 04:40 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Damn click the link

DAM the Titans are getting better.

SW H-TOWN
03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
The top 3 I would be looking at would be Quintin Mikell, Michael Huff, and Roy Miller.

mussop
03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
According to scheffler we are looking at ed reed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

aussie_texan
03-14-2013, 10:04 PM
which OLB and ILB do you think we will look at or which do you want??

aussie_texan
03-14-2013, 10:15 PM
what about larry grant from the 49ers and victor butler for the cowgirls

aussie_texan
03-14-2013, 10:18 PM
and i wouldnt be annoyed if we brought in rey maualuga, so long as it was on the cheap

The1ApplePie
03-15-2013, 09:04 AM
and i wouldnt be annoyed if we brought in rey maualuga, so long as it was on the cheap

Rey would be beastly, but he won't come cheap. somebody like Dan Connor would be more realistic.

USC fanboyism aside, I wouldn't mind the Texans taking a look at Sedrick Ellis for the NT/DT spot.

Corrosion
03-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Rey would be beastly, but he won't come cheap. somebody like Dan Connor would be more realistic.

USC fanboyism aside, I wouldn't mind the Texans taking a look at Sedrick Ellis for the NT/DT spot.

Put me in the dont want camp for Maualuga. Dude cant cover a baby with a blanket.

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
If his name hasn't been mentioned & he becomes a FA.....

Elvis Dumerville.

mussop
03-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Rey sucks.

mussop
03-15-2013, 12:06 PM

Elvis Dumerville.

I wish!

ASidd_1990
03-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Elvis Dumerville.

Can Dumervil play LB?

The1ApplePie
03-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Put me in the dont want camp for Maualuga. Dude cant cover a baby with a blanket.

Rey would obviously fill the role of a Brandon Spikes, where he is there for run support only. Mostly the job of a No. 2 iLB in a 3-4 anyway.

Rey couldn't cover in college either, that was Cushing's gig. He was just there to knock the piss out of people.

Playoffs
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Put me in the dont want camp for Maualuga. Dude cant cover a baby with a blanket.Agree. People recognize a name & associate good play because of that.

Maualuga was rated worst overall ILB by ProFootballFocus in 2012, out of 53 playing in >25% of team snaps.

what about larry grant from the 49ers and victor butler for the cowgirlsBingo. Leave Reed & sign these two. PFF wrote about them (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/06/2013-team-needs-houston-texans/).

dalemurphy
03-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Can Dumervil play LB?

Yes, his best seasons were outside in a 3-4. I think he's a possibility for Houston. We'll see.

mussop
03-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Yes, his best seasons were outside in a 3-4. I think he's a possibility for Houston. We'll see.

Don't see how we could afford him.

mariowillshine15
03-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Don't see how we could afford him.

Have him be pissed at Denver and sign for less to play for a contender. Like Wes Welker.

TexansCountry
03-15-2013, 04:58 PM
theres no way we could afford dumervil

Lucky
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Have him be pissed at Denver and sign for less to play for a contender. Like Wes Welker.
It would make more sense in this regard if he signed with New England.

SW H-TOWN
03-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Larry Grant - Could provide depth at ILB
Brad Jones - Would be a starter for us at ILB
Quinten Mikell - Need a starting S
Kerry Rhodes - Need a starting S
Michael Huff - Need a starting S
Ramses Barden - Has some upside and had good WR in front of him.
Alan Branch - Not great but better than Cody IMO and would be inexpensive.

TexansCountry
03-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Tom Zbikowski was just released not the best but better than keo

Rufus Jarvis
03-15-2013, 07:38 PM
May I suggest CB Antoine Winfield as a slot CB. He still can play and he hits like a LB'er.

rolyat93
03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
May I suggest CB Antoine Winfield as a slot CB. He still can play and he hits like a LB'er.

I'd like him more than anyone to fill the S slot. He's the best open field tackler left in FA. (One of the best in the league as a whole, imo.)

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 09:01 PM
I say keep Ruud to play ILB along side Cushing. I was actually impressd with his play last season especially his coverage skills.

Corrosion
03-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Tom Zbikowski was just released not the best but better than keo

Im over 40 , smoke like a train , drink like a fish and run a 5.5+second 40 .... and I'd be a better option than Keo.

I wouldnt be against Winfield ....

EllisUnit
03-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Anyone know what Troy Nolan is up to these days ???

We all know choosing Keo over Nolan was dumb so they need to make it right.

srrono
03-16-2013, 02:20 AM
With the remaning FAs which ones do you think would be posible 1 year candidates for the Texans?

ILB Rey Maualuga: At 26 yrs old and having a disapointing year playing with Wade who can have him play to his strengths running downhill. Hopefully showcasing himself for long term contract at 27. Plus history with Cushing.

OLB Shaun Phillips: He had 9.5 sacks last year. I would rather have Phillips than Reed.

beerlover
03-16-2013, 02:44 AM
With the remaning FAs which ones do you think would be posible 1 year candidates for the Texans?

ILB Rey Maualuga: At 26 yrs old and having a disapointing year playing with Wade who can have him play to his strengths running downhill. Hopefully showcasing himself for long term contract at 27. Plus history with Cushing.

OLB Shaun Phillips: He had 9.5 sacks last year. I would rather have Phillips than Reed.

bite you tongue :smiliepalm:

once all the big expensive free agents are vacuumed up sending countless teams into future cap Armageddon, Texans will smartly & shrewdly add quality depth @ bargain basement prices. They will then proceed to re-build cornerstone foundation pieces, like Reed though the draft. :evil:

leebigeztx
03-16-2013, 03:31 AM
They could offer Dumervill 5yrs 30m with 15g and cut antonio.

mussop
03-16-2013, 03:37 AM

Then who the hell would replace smith?

pec0sb0b
03-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Sharpton will probably start next to Cushing. Karlos Dansby or Dan Connor could provide depth at ILB to replace Dobbins and/or Ruud in rotation with Sharpton. Brad Jones could start at ILB next to Cushing but they won't pay for him. I think they realize they need someone with better cover skills than Sharpton next to Cushing who also becomes a free-agent next year so they'll probably draft at ILB.

They'll probably pick up an outside pass-rusher in the draft. No, they won't pay for Elvis Dumervil.

With Rashad Butler presumably gone, they'll need a body at right tackle. I still find it hard to see Newton, a seventh round pick, as the answer. I wouldn't mind seeding Winston return. Andre Smith from Cincinnati could probably start but would probably cost too much. Perhaps a rookie could be platooned with Newton. They may well re-sign Ryan Harris and stand pat.

Ed Reed is over-rated. They should draft a strong-safety in the second or third round and move Manning to free-safety, his natural position, re-sign Demps and another body to help, like Corey Lynch, also a great special-teams player, or maybe Michael Huff as he can play both spots.

There aren't any free-agent receivers out there that I see as starters, perhaps Michael Spurlock from San Diego.

srrono
03-16-2013, 09:34 AM
As of now HOU needs a starting
OLB-ILB-NT-S-Nickel Corner-FB-WR-P-K
Then back ups

How is this going to happen with no cap room?

TexanBacker93
03-16-2013, 09:42 AM

I think Dumervil would be an option only if he'd sign for 1 or 2 years. I don't see them giving big long term contracts to any FA out there. They need to $$ space for Watt.

TexanBacker93
03-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Then back ups

Harris would be your nickel right now.
Bullock is your kicker.
Clutts is the FB
Mitchell will probably start at NT.
Reed and Mercilus will start at OLB.

I see them bringing in bargain vets at safety, WR, and ILB and draft those positions early.

I think we draft a NT to rotate with Mitchell.

I imagine them also picking up a bargain vet at OLB to rotate with Reed and Mercilus.

We will have probably 11 draft picks and it looks like just as many next year.

srrono
03-16-2013, 09:55 AM
deleted

Playoffs
03-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Why cut the better player to sign a lesser one?

steelbtexan
03-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Just saw on NFL.com that the dolphins let Karlos Dansby go. He is 31, but he had 133 tackles last year, 101 solo, and didn't miss a game despite tearing a bicep muscle. Has he played ILB in a 3-4 system before? I always got the impression that he was a smart player. His age could bring his price down a little bit. He was released after the Dolphins got Ellerbe from the Ravens.

Also Kevin Burnett is rumored to be released soon as well. Any thoughts on either of these guys playing for the Texans?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150122/article/karlos-dansby-out-after-dolphins-add-dannell-ellerbe

Dansby would be a big upgrade over James. It really comes down to $$$$ and yrs if I would sign him. If Dansby wanted too much $$$$, bringing in Connor and drafting AJ Klien in the 3rd rd would be the way to go. IMHO

panamamyers
03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Then back ups

What are you talking about man?
We have Mercilus and Reed. We have a starting NT in Mitchell. We have Brandon Harris. We have a fullback. We have a kicker.
People are going a little overboard with all of the needs here.
We will have four of the top 100 picks. We need to find a safety, receiver and ilb that can possibly start. Other than those three positions, it would be unlikely that anyone we drafted was starting.

leebigeztx
03-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Why cut the better player to sign a lesser one?

I hope you're not implying that antonio is better than dummerville? When smith played opposite mario,he only had 5 sacks. When he plays on the same line as darnell dockett he only had 5 sacks. Dummervill had 8 as a rookie. He also led the league as a 3-4 olb with 17. He had 11 last yr on a down year. Smith played opposite the dmvp and got what 6 sacks. Getting the qb on the ground is what wins in this league,not almost getting there. Dummervill is far and away the better player and he's also younger. I don't see why this is even up for discussion.

infantrycak
03-16-2013, 02:52 PM
I hope you're not implying that antonio is better than dummerville? If you are,you must not watch football.

Dummerville may be a better player but the net effect on the team might not be better.

amazing80
03-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Im gonna be honest there is a lot of good talent out there and I cant seem to find anything about us contacting anyone other than Reed. I hope Rick didn't forget our other needs.

rolyat93
03-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Brandon Lloyd just got cut. Depending on the price I'd like to bring him in.

tru80texan
03-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Dummerville may be a better player but the net effect on the team might not be better.

Honestly its apples & oranges. Dumervil is the better pass rusher then Anotonio ever was in a 4-3 as a DE, but this a 3-4 that we are worried about & Dumervil is 5'11" & 260lbs. Obviously he is not a DE in a 3-4, but a LB. Dumervil would be a nice addition, but it wouldn't be to replace the 280lb Antonio in Wade's defense.

leebigeztx
03-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Honestly ipples & oranges. Dumervil is the better pass rusher then Anotonio ever was in a 4-3 as a DE, but this a 3-4 that we are worried about & Dumervil is 5'11" & 260lbs. Obviously he is not a DE in a 3-4, but a LB. Dumervil would be a nice addition, but it wouldn't be to replace the 280lb Antonio in Wade's defense.

U cut antonio and slide Mitchell or crick to play the 5 tech. They could draft a 0 tech in the 2nd or 3rd. Its not that difficult to get the best players and save money.

steelbtexan
03-16-2013, 03:21 PM
which OLB and ILB do you think we will look at or which do you want??

Delete

infantrycak
03-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Honestly its apples & oranges. Dumervil is the better pass rusher then Anotonio ever was in a 4-3 as a DE, but this a 3-4 that we are worried about & Dumervil is 5'11" & 260lbs. Obviously he is not a DE in a 3-4, but a LB. Dumervil would be a nice addition, but it wouldn't be to replace the 280lb Antonio in Wade's defense.

Dummervil would clearly be an OLB for us which he has played in a 3-4 previously. The point was net effect. Would the drop off from Smith to Crick be greater than the increase from Dummervil over Mercilos. It's arguable. Frankly I would rather restructure Smith to keep him and then sign Dummervil and have them both.

amazing80
03-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Dummervil would clearly be an OLB for us which he has played in a 3-4 previously. The point was net effect. Would the drop off from Smith to Crick be greater than the increase from Dummervil over Mercilos. It's arguable. Frankly I would rather restructure Smith to keep him and then sign Dummervil and have them both.

ditto

Uncle Rico
03-16-2013, 04:35 PM
LOL at all you guys making hypothetical salary assumptions, I mean they are all so blatantly obvious, but we're dealing with Rick Smith. Yup, that was reality slapping you in the face.

Bless your hearts.

mussop
03-16-2013, 05:44 PM
What are you talking about man?
We have Mercilus and Reed. We have a starting NT in Mitchell. We have Brandon Harris. We have a fullback. We have a kicker.
People are going a little overboard with all of the needs here.
We will have four of the top 100 picks. We need to find a safety, receiver and ilb that can possibly start. Other than those three positions, it would be unlikely that anyone we drafted was starting.

If Mitchell is starting we are in BIG DOO DOO! Teams are going to run it down our throats and wear out our ILB's. Mitchell should be backing up smith and Watt he has no business being the backup NT much less the starter.

ASidd_1990
03-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Eric Winston and Sebastian Vollmer are still available.

Would love to pick up one of them and possibly still go after Ed Reed.

leebigeztx
03-16-2013, 05:56 PM

The production they would get out of whitney,watt,and dummervill far exceed what they would get out of that watt,whitney,and smith. Smith is a good player,but he's not gonna hit the qb or sack the qb enough to justify 9m. For 9m they could get dumervill and either draft datone jones,malicah goodman,sylvester williams or even sign seymore as a stop gap until crick or mitchell is truy ready. Elvis is a bonifide probowler and guy who can make the qb uneasy. Against top flight passing teams,they turned the pass pro to jj and nobody else could get to the qb. If you turn to jj with elvis opposite,he's gonna be in the qbs grill wrecking shop. Anotonio ain't doing that from mario to jj. The teams that have worked the texans were pass 1st,so I wouldn't worry about power running teams.

Playoffs
03-16-2013, 07:00 PM
I hope you're not implying that antonio is better than dummerville? When smith played opposite mario,he only had 5 sacks. When he plays on the same line as darnell dockett he only had 5 sacks. Dummervill had 8 as a rookie. He also led the league as a 3-4 olb with 17. He had 11 last yr on a down year. Smith played opposite the dmvp and got what 6 sacks. Getting the qb on the ground is what wins in this league,not almost getting there. Dummervill is far and away the better player and he's also younger. I don't see why this is even up for discussion.It's not just about sacks. Connor Barwin had 12 sacks (same as Von Miller) in 2011 but only rated in the bottom third of 3-4 OLBs, and Texans fans now know why. Aldon Smith had 20 sacks in 2012 -- a great rating & year -- but his sackness ended after Justin Smith partially tore his triceps tendon mid-December. PFF ratings for the last 3 years:

Antonio Smith was rated 6th out of 34 3-4 DEs
Dumervil was rated 44th out of 62 4-3 DEs
Antonio Smith was rated 8th out of 32 3-4 DEs(Wade)
Dumervil was rated 30th out of 67 4-3 DEs
Antonio Smith was rated 43rd out of 65 4-3 DEs(Bush)
Dumervil did not play, torn pec.

leebigeztx
03-16-2013, 07:21 PM
It's not just about sacks. Connor Barwin had 12 sacks (same as Von Miller) in 2011 but only rated in the bottom third of 3-4 OLBs, and Texans fans now know why. Aldon Smith had 20 sacks in 2012 -- a great rating & year -- but his sackness ended after Justin Smith partially tore his triceps tendon mid-December. PFF ratings for the last 3 years:

Pff is not the bible bro. Its subjective and should be used as such. Aldon played with a torn labrum that he played with from week 5. If you watch teams other than the texans, you will notice he stopped crossing the tackles face and failed to convert speed to power because of the shoulder. Elvis has avg 10 sacks a yr despite playing opposite of no one until miller came aboard. You can skew stats and ratings,but elvis is a top 10 pass rusher in a pass happy league. He's a much better player and have a bigger impact on the game than a guy who almost gets there. He's 29 and he's free. Its a lot easier to fill antonio smith role as a 1 gap 3-4 guy than it is to get a premier pass rush like elnis. I don't think that's even up for debate..

5yrs 35m with 15m g > smith making 9m this season and his production.

Playoffs
03-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Aldon played with a torn labrum that he played with from week 5.
Really? Source, bro?

otisbean
03-16-2013, 10:06 PM
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000151235/

NFL.com states he played weeks 12-17 injured.

pec0sb0b
03-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Apple and oranges. Smith and Dumervil don't play the same position and are not interchangeable.
Our current base front: Mercilus - Smith - Mitchell - Watt - Reed.
Our current nickel and dime front: Mercilus - Smith - Watt - Reed.

Dumervil can only play spots filled by Mercilus or Reed, not Smith. A 5-technique actually has to shed blockers and can't rely upon speed moves.
If they cut Smith they'd have to find another 5-technique as Crick's not ready to start.

infantrycak
03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Really? Source, bro?

Smith first appeared on the injury report on Nov. 21st which would be for the week 12 game - Link (http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Aldon-Smith-has-surgery-on-torn-labrum-4359302.php) He got 4.5 sacks in the next three games then Justin Smith went down and he got none thereafter.

steelbtexan
03-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Aren't the Texans like 12 mil under the cap?

They could cut/ Restructure some contracts. A.Smith, Schaub come to mind. Bottom line there's not a FA out there that Rick couldn't sign if he wanted too at this point in FA.

steelbtexan
03-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Apple and oranges. Smith and Dumervil don't play the same position and are not interchangeable.
Our current base front: Mercilus - Smith - Mitchell - Watt - Reed.
Our current nickel and dime front: Mercilus - Smith - Watt - Reed.

Dumervil can only play spots filled by Mercilus or Reed, not Smith. A 5-technique actually has to shed blockers and can't rely upon speed moves.
If they cut Smith they'd have to find another 5-technique as Crick's not ready to start.

Yep, but if they signed Dumervil they could cut A.Smith, play Crick and draft Datone Jones to play the 5 tech. Or move Mitchell to DE and draft Brandon Williams in the 2nd rd.

A front 7 that looked like this would be awsome, Think pressure defense, it would take alot of responsibilty off the backend of the defense.

Watt/Williams/Mitchell or Crick. If they didn't use a 1st rd pick on Jones.
Dumervil/Cushing/Reed/Mercilus

leebigeztx
03-17-2013, 12:35 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/aldon-smith-has-labrum-surgery/

Aldon was on the injury report the last 9 weeks. 6 reg season a 3 posit season games.

ASidd_1990
03-17-2013, 04:00 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/aldon-smith-has-labrum-surgery/

Aldon was on the injury report the last 9 weeks. 6 reg season a 3 posit season games.

Same injury Dwight Howard had?

Playoffs
03-17-2013, 09:51 AM
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000151235/

NFL.com states he played weeks 12-17 injured.

Correct.

SW H-TOWN
03-17-2013, 11:43 AM
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/cb/cba5434f_patience_grasshopper.jpg

Yep, after thinking about it I hope that the Texans sit back and let a lot of these sucker teams use up most or all of their cap space money, look at the Colts, and then sign a couple of players after the feeding frenzy has subsided. So many teams are overpaying players it is ridiculous, and good for us. Most successful teams don't spend too much in the FA market, Green Bay, and I hope this is what we are doing. Interesting fact I read was that the last time a team that signed an "impact" free agent and went on to win the Super Bowl was in 2009. Safety Darren Sharper, NO Saints. There is still a lot of talent at the S position available in the FA market so I would not panic just yet.

Wolf6151
03-18-2013, 01:16 AM
What do you guys think about the possibility of going after Nnamdi Asomugha and moving him to FS. Aso is currently 31 yoa. and will be 32 yoa. by the time the 2013 season starts. He's been in the league for 8 yrs., has great size for the position, speed, and experience, and many CB's will switch to FS to extend their careers. Aso is on the wrong side of 30 and had a bad season last year, which I think is more the fault of the Eagles defensive coordinator than Aso but still... I'm thinking he's got what it takes to be that center field ball hawk that everyone wants. If so what would it cost to sign him? Opinions?

EllisUnit
03-18-2013, 04:11 AM
What do you guys think about the possibility of going after Nnamdi Asomugha and moving him to FS. Aso is currently 31 yoa. and will be 32 yoa. by the time the 2013 season starts. He's been in the league for 8 yrs., has great size for the position, speed, and experience, and many CB's will switch to FS to extend their careers. Aso is on the wrong side of 30 and had a bad season last year, which I think is more the fault of the Eagles defensive coordinator than Aso but still... I'm thinking he's got what it takes to be that center field ball hawk that everyone wants. If so what would it cost to sign him? Opinions?

I think this has been discussed but for the right price i would def sign him to play safety. BUt i doubt he thinks he is at the point to where he needs to be a safety and i'm sure he's looking for redemption at CB after his debacle with the eagles. I could be wrong but if we could get him for 5 million or less i would def consider it.

greekdbag
03-18-2013, 04:20 AM
It's not just about sacks. Connor Barwin had 12 sacks (same as Von Miller) in 2011 but only rated in the bottom third of 3-4 OLBs, and Texans fans now know why. Aldon Smith had 20 sacks in 2012 -- a great rating & year -- but his sackness ended after Justin Smith partially tore his triceps tendon mid-December. PFF ratings for the last 3 years:

Where does PFF rank Earl Mitchell at DT? Do they have him as awful against the run?

ChampionTexan
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM

Maualuga resigned with Cincy - 2 years $6.5 million.

Uncle Rico
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
what about Urlacher? Could he really be worse than James?

I understand he's lost a step in defending the pass, but he's still very stout around the line of scrimmage and up the middle. would allow Cush to roam and make plays instead of sticking to gap responsibilites. Just an idea, Bears giving that man a raw deal IMO, maybe we could swoop in and give him a nice 1 year deal and hope he would be an asset.

mussop
03-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Maualuga resigned with Cincy - 2 years $6.5 million.

I'm surprised he got that much.

steelbtexan
03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Lets just sign Hampton and Harrison in FA they should be fairly inexpensive for a yr or 2 and draft a couple of S. This appears to be a good class for S.

Playoffs
03-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Where does PFF rank Earl Mitchell at DT? Do they have him as awful against the run?

47 out of 85 overall, 27 run grade & 57 pass rush grade. Without J'ville games his run grade would be nearly equal to his pass rush grade.

greekdbag
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
47 out of 85 overall, 27 run grade & 57 pass rush grade. Without J'ville games his run grade would be nearly equal to his pass rush grade.

Thank you. I thought he'd be a better pass rusher when they drafted him.

76Texan
03-19-2013, 08:40 AM
How about Brad Jones ILB from the Packers?
He played every snap when he got the chance to start as a 3-down LB, with Hawk leaving the field.

That must mean he played very well.
It should be a low cost signing that provide value and more flexibility in the draft.

ProFootball Focusb grades him a value-performer for the Packers as he had a small salary due to being a 7th rd draft pick in 2009.

He played OLB early on but made a smooth transition to ILB.

Looking at the brief analysis on him and his measurable a pre-draft; I was surprised he wasn't drafted a little higher; probably because he only weighed 232 at the time. Now he's listed at 242.

otisbean
03-19-2013, 08:46 AM
He played every snap when he got the chance to start as a 3-down LB, with Hawk leaving the field.

It should be a low cost signing that provide value and more flexibility in the draft.

ProFootball Focusb grades him a value-performer for the Packers as he had a small salary due to being a 7th rd draft pick in 2009.

Looking at the brief analysis on him and his measurable a pre-draft; I was surprised he wasn't drafted a little higher; probably because he only weighed 232 at the time. Now he's listed at 242.

He'd be a great pick up

76Texan
03-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP

6 ft 3 in 232 lb. 4.49 s 1.59s 2.56s 4.21 s 6.75 s 33 in 9 ft 11 in 19 reps

He averaged 8.5 tackles in his starts, with 2 sacks and 5 PDs.

His draft report shows that he was good in coverage from the college day, where he played all over the place, including DE.

steelbtexan
03-19-2013, 08:51 AM

Jones would be a great addition, really good player, he would fit in well next to Cushing. I wonder what his price tag will be?

Playoffs
03-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Rated overall 10th out of 53 ILBs, very good against the run & decent vs. pass.

I wonder what kind of money he'll command?

76Texan
03-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Rated overall 10th out of 53 ILBs, very good against the run & decent vs. pass.

I wonder what kind of money he'll command?

Shouldn't be as much of a jump as Quin since he didn't start as many games as Quin.

Playoffs
03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Shouldn't be as much of a jump as Quin since he didn't start as many games as Quin.

Cool, put a call into Rick and tell him we're both on board with bringing him in. :cool:

He can catch the Aero Mexico from Milwaukee to Mexico City -- the landing might be a little dicey.

http://th182.photobucket.com/albums/x263/asteric-/Icones/th_smiley_skydive.gif

76Texan
03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Cool, put a call into Rick and tell him we're both on board with bringing him in. :cool:

He can catch the Aero Mexico from Milwaukee to Mexico City -- the landing might be a little dicey.

http://th182.photobucket.com/albums/x263/asteric-/Icones/th_smiley_skydive.gif

LOL!

Eight teams have shown interest, reportedly.
Jones did visit the Titans last week.
I don't think they can offer him much since they just sign a LB whose name escape me at the moment.
They probably plan to use him at OLB instead.

ArlingtonTexan
03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
what about Urlacher? Could he really be worse than James?

I understand he's lost a step in defending the pass, but he's still very stout around the line of scrimmage and up the middle. would allow Cush to roam and make plays instead of sticking to gap responsibilites. Just an idea, Bears giving that man a raw deal IMO, maybe we could swoop in and give him a nice 1 year deal and hope he would be an asset.

urlacher was not much, if any better than Brady james last year. classic better name than player at this point.

michaelm
03-19-2013, 10:34 AM

I hadn't considered Jones, but I would consider him to be one of the more attractive-slash-realistic possibilities for the Texans. Seems very much within the free agent MO of the organization.

Allstar
03-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Has anyone brought up Daryl Smith yet? I think he'd look nice next to Cush.

mussop
03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
urlacher was not much, if any better than Brady james last year. classic better name than player at this point.

God I'm so afraid that is what is going to happen with Reed. It's going to really hurt us if this turns into another Ahmad Green or Eric moulds situation.

HOU-TEX
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
I must admit. I think this is the most boring Texans FA season I've witnessed so far. We definitely haven't gotten better. I sure hope they have some sort of plan in mind

El Tejano
03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
I must admit. I think this is the most boring Texans FA season I've witnessed so far. We definitely haven't gotten better. I sure hope they have some sort of plan in mind

What about when we only signed Wade Smith?

drs23
03-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Lets just sign Hampton and Harrison in FA they should be fairly inexpensive for a yr or 2 and draft a couple of S. This appears to be a good class for S.

I know Casey Hampton would make a lot of folks really happy but it seems to me, still, that Wade is stuck on his smallish NT who can penetrate (whether it actually happens on the field or not) than the traditional big space eater. Don't see it happening.

In reference to Harrison I really don't see that happening. Read on CBS Sports.com yesterday that his was the "coldest name in FA". According to GMs interviewed in Phoenix that he asking/wanting way too much money for LB who's lost a step and can't effectively rush the passer anymore though is still stout against the run. Wants too much money for a 2 down player. Don't see this happening either.

I'm kinda surprised at the push for Ed Reed. This goes completely against the grain of what McNair said just a few off seasons ago about learning to not chase players on their downslide looking for one last payday. I guess he either changed his mind or he really does stay out of it and let his football people do what they're paid for. Thoughts on this?

76Texan
03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
I know Casey Hampton would make a lot of folks really happy but it seems to me, still, that Wade is stuck on his smallish NT who can penetrate (whether it actually happens on the field or not) than the traditional big space eater. Don't see it happening.

In reference to Harrison I really don't see that happening. Read on CBS Sports.com yesterday that his was the "coldest name in FA". According to GMs interviewed in Phoenix that he asking/wanting way too much money for LB who's lost a step and can't effectively rush the passer anymore though is still stout against the run. Wants too much money for a 2 down player. Don't see this happening either.

I'm kinda surprised at the push for Ed Reed. This goes completely against the grain of what McNair said just a few off seasons ago about learning to not chase players on their downslide looking for one last payday. I guess he either changed his mind or he really does stay out of it and let his football people do what they're paid for. Thoughts on this?
There are always exception.

A few guys are able to maintain their body and their mind longer than others.
Reed is one of them.

Rufus Jarvis
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Ahmard Hall might be a cheap FB.

ASidd_1990
03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Rolando McClain is rumored to be shopped around.

Any chances the Texans go after him? Could he be had for cheap? We need some LB depth and he's only 23 years old.

rmartin65
03-19-2013, 02:19 PM

Any chances the Texans go after him? Could he be had for cheap? We need some LB depth and he's only 23 years old.

You are the one with the source, dude. Are the Texans interested?

Dutchrudder
03-19-2013, 02:23 PM

That depends, how many games will he miss while in jail?

Playoffs
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Any chances the Texans go after him?Suspended 2 games for getting into an altercation with his head coach. Arrested for signing an illegally tinted windows ticket "F#@k Y'all" instead of using his name -- then presented a forged letter from his doctor stating he was photosensitive and needed the illegally tinted windows. I'm thinking not.

Dutchrudder
03-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Suspended 2 games for getting into an altercation with his head coach. Arrested for signing an illegally tinted windows ticket "F#@k Y'all" instead of using his name -- then presented a forged letter from his doctor stating he was photosensitive and needed the illegally tinted windows. I'm thinking not.

You left out the best part!

On January 27, 2011, a vehicle being driven by Rolando McClain was shot at while McClain was in his hometown of Decatur, Alabama. No one was hurt and police are unsure if the shooter knew that the car belonged to McClain.[24][25] He later fired multiple shots at the police.

On December 1, 2011, McClain was arrested by Decatur police and charged with third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and discharging a firearm inside the city limits, all of which are misdemeanors for a shooting incident that occurred the night before.[26][27] On May 17, 2012, McClain was found guilty on all counts, ordered to pay a $500 fine for each charge, totaling $2,000, and sentenced to spend 45 days in jail for each charge, 180 in total. He was freed on bond, and will begin serving his sentence on June 1.

Vinny
03-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Suspended 2 games for getting into an altercation with his head coach. Arrested for signing an illegally tinted windows ticket "F#@k Y'all" instead of using his name -- then presented a forged letter from his doctor stating he was photosensitive and needed the illegally tinted windows. I'm thinking not.
yeah, no way we pursue this moron.

pec0sb0b
03-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Brad Jones has been at the top of my list from the start. Didn't think we would pay what some others might. Overpaying free-agents is a sure-fire road to cap hell. Jones is at the top of Walter Football's list as well. http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2013ILB.php

Playoffs
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
You left out the best part!I can't for the life of me figure out why they're shopping him? http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn281/joenest/hmmm.gif

Playoffs
07-24-2013, 04:01 PM
what about larry grant from the 49ers and victor butler for the cowgirls

The New Orleans Saints placed linebacker Victor Butler... on the physically unable to perform list Tuesday...

Butler landing on the PUP list comes as no surprise. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament in June and might miss the season.

Ouch, I liked him.

TexansFTW
07-24-2013, 11:48 PM
I didn't read all 8 pages of this and if this has already been said I'm sorry. The obvious person we need to go after at this point is Kerry Rhodes.

He is rumored to be gay and it's clear that NFL teams aren't ready for that yet.

Because of this he has generated no market this offseason which is completely asinine, but no market means we can fit him in under the cap and he is an immediate upgrade while we wait for Ed Reed.

The guy was rated as a top 4 safety by Pro Football Focus and is an absolute beast on the field. He is an 8 year pro and can make an impact on the NFL football field day one. No need to nurture him or slowly bring him along like we might have to do w/ Swearinger.

We need to fill our glaring holes with high quality players we can afford under our cap before we start chasing depth at other positions.

Long Story Short... Bring in Kerry Rhodes!