PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable price for Barwin? *UPDATE* Signed by Eagles

thunderkyss
02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
This is really a gauge of Richard Smith's performance. Barwin's future with the Texans will be front & center of this year's off season. Will Smith be able to land him? Or won't he? Will he have to overpay to keep him?

In order to determine if "we" overpay or not, we need to throw some numbers out there. Most fans generally try to stay away from mentioning a specific number as most fans don't know what "fair value" is or the intricacies of the salary cap.

Most likely we'll get it wrong anyway, so let's just throw a number out there & hope the aggregate will give us something to work with. It's going to be a poll, the numbers should be simple (million per year), & we'll be able to figure an average dollar amount.

Now, when we're talking about cost, the only thing that really matters is his cap number. The cap number usually changes over the career of the athlete, so, to keep it simple, we're just talking about Barwin's avg cap number over the next three years. So if you think, like I do, that Barwin should not count against the cap more than $2M/yr over the next three years, your number is $2M/yr.

If his cap number works out to be $2M/yr for 2013, $2M/yr for 2014, and $6M/yr for 2015, his average would be $3.3M/yr & I would say Smith slightly overpaid.

There are all kinds of other implications involved with a contract which would make it good/bad, but for this exercise we're just worried about his average cap number over the next three years.

So let's get started.

What is a reasonable price for Connor Barwin?

IDEXAN
02-03-2013, 01:04 PM
OK I'll bite: I expect Barwin gets a contract that averages 4 M a year over 4 to 5 years. Now only part of that will be guaranteed of course, but the "total compensation" will average 'bout 4 M a year. And that's market prices, so that meets my definition of "reasonable".

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2013, 01:07 PM
He averaged 7 sacks a year the last two years . I'll look up someone in that range .

Playoffs
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Some team will overpay for Barwin, methinks.

It's not like it would be difficult to outbid us since we're up against the cap.

Lucky
02-03-2013, 02:08 PM
OK I'll bite: I expect Barwin gets a contract that averages 4 M a year over 4 to 5 years.
Jarret Johnson got a 4 year $19 million deal from the Chargers last year. Barwin will certainly get more than that, because he's 5 years younger. I just think he will be overpayed but some needy team. Barwin is not even the 6th best player on this defense. Not worth pursuing.

ThaShark316
02-03-2013, 02:14 PM
I think they have to consider the future when they offer whatever they offer next year to keep anyone. After his rookie deal Watt is going to get PAID. Maybe the largest contract for a defensive player EVER. If he wins D player of the year again or breaks the sack record then Marios contract will pale in comparison.

So they need to make sure they are ready for that and not blow it.

They'll never let Watt's rookie deal end, IMO. He'll get an extension beforehand, I'd say.

infantrycak
02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Jarret Johnson got a 4 year $19 million deal from the Chargers last year. Barwin will certainly get more than that, because he's 5 years younger. I just think he will be overpayed but some needy team. Barwin is not even the 6th best player on this defense. Not worth pursuing.

Not disagreeing but I have to say concerned because if they do move Reed to ILB that looks like they need to acquire 2 new OLB's - one starter and one rotation/depth and that is hoping Mercilus makes a healthy 2nd year leap.

IDEXAN
02-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Jarret Johnson got a 4 year $19 million deal from the Chargers last year. Barwin will certainly get more than that, because he's 5 years younger.I just think he will be overpayed but some needy team.
I agree, if anything I might have understated Barwin's market value. But where's
your vote up there, mine is the only one > 3 M a year ?

Barwin is not even the 6th best player on this defense. Not worth pursuing.
Possibly, but next to maybe only CB, he's plays the most important position in the 3-4. Obviously it therefor commands more cap space, maybe much more cap space than other positions.

Lucky
02-03-2013, 02:39 PM
I agree, if anything I might have understated Barwin's market value. But where's
your vote up there, mine is the only one > 3 M a year ?

Possibly, but next to maybe only CB, he's plays the most important position in the 3-4. Obviously it therefor commands more cap space, maybe much more cap space than other positions.
I didn't vote because I don't feel the Texans should make a long term investment in Barwin. I just would rather see the Texans go with Mercilus and Reed at OLB next season.

Lucky
02-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Watt
Cushing
J Jo
Ninja
Manning

I don't know ... who you got at 6th?

I would pay Jackson or Quin before I invested in Barwin. And I'm not huge fans of theirs (though Jackson made big strides in 2012). I expect Mercilus to be at least as good, if not better than Barwin in 2013. And Reed and Barwin are probably a push, with Reed still on his rookie deal.

76Texan
02-03-2013, 02:49 PM
OK I'll bite: I expect Barwin gets a contract that averages 4 M a year over 4 to 5 years. Now only part of that will be guaranteed of course, but the "total compensation" will average 'bout 4 M a year. And that's market prices, so that meets my definition of "reasonable".

I also voted 4, but I think he may command more than that.

Wade should go after Shaun Phillips who might be looking at his last contract.
He's been taking 5; he might go for 4 or a little less with a long term deal. ???

beerlover
02-03-2013, 02:57 PM
6 mil is pretty cheap nowadays for starting DE/OLB's however anything more he's a goner :wadepalm:

TheDrifter
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
The way alot of teams get burned in free agency is paying for a guys outlier performance instead of his average one.

We shouldn't pay for 2011 Conner Barwin...but someone probably will.

Uncle Rico
02-03-2013, 03:22 PM
what about using the franchise tag on him?

JCTexan
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Watt
Cushing
J Jo
Ninja
Manning

I say close between Barwin and Reed?

I would rather have Jackson, Quin & possibly Reed over Barwin.

For this discussion I will say anything over four million a year and he's no longer a Texan. I think another team will possibly spend 5M for him though. Four to five million is what he will get IMO.

Lucky
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I looked at the upcoming free agent list for DE/3-4 OLB, and Barwin has a lot of competition. Anthony Spencer, Michael Johnson, Osi Umenyiora, Cliff Avril, Matt Shaughnessy, Paul Kruger, Shaun Phillips. Where does Barwin fit on that list? How much $$$ is really out there for these pass rushers? This might not have been the best year for Connor to test free agency.

If he doesn't get a blow your socks offer, maybe Barwin would consider a one year deal in Houston. I doubt it, but I guess there's a bigger possibility than I had originally thought.

htowntexans1985
02-03-2013, 03:31 PM
I voted 3 mil. But honestly i hope they let him walk. His and cody's antics have grown thin. No need to mention the embarrasing "Letterman debacle". Hopefully he gets his bank i just hope it isnt here. The worlds largest hipster can shine elsewhere

Lucky
02-03-2013, 03:39 PM
what about using the franchise tag on him?
The franchise tage for LBs in 2012 was $8.8 million. Waaaaay too much for Barwin. I doubt the Texans have that kind of cap room, anyway.

76Texan
02-03-2013, 04:55 PM
I looked at the upcoming free agent list for DE/3-4 OLB, and Barwin has a lot of competition. Anthony Spencer, Michael Johnson, Osi Umenyiora, Cliff Avril, Matt Shaughnessy, Paul Kruger, Shaun Phillips. Where does Barwin fit on that list? How much $$$ is really out there for these pass rushers? This might not have been the best year for Connor to test free agency.

If he doesn't get a blow your socks offer, maybe Barwin would consider a one year deal in Houston. I doubt it, but I guess there's a bigger possibility than I had originally thought.

I think the Cowboys just put a franchise tag on Spencer.
Is that right or is it too early to do so?
I just glanced through that piece so I wasn't sure.

I say if we can get Shaun Phillips for less, we should do it and save the cap to roll over to take care of Watt and Cushing when the time comess

TheDream34
02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Barwin's antics really statred to get on my nerves. I have no problem with a team wanting to have some fun, but throwing around letterman jackets for the world to see before a game against the New England Patriots is just unacceptable and it just shows that this team is not mentally ready play with the big boys of the NFL. No need to give good money to an average player with goofy looking hair.

dc_txtech
02-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Barwin's antics really statred to get on my nerves. I have no problem with a team wanting to have some fun, but throwing around letterman jackets for the world to see before a game against the New England Patriots is just unacceptable and it just shows that this team is not mentally ready play with the big boys of the NFL. No need to give good money to an average player with goofy looking hair.

Who gives a crap about hipster haircuts and letterman jackets? All I care about is how he performs on the field and last year he didn't play up to a big contract. I think the Texans offer him 3 to 4 million dollars a year and hope he takes the hometown discount.

Lucky
02-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I think the Cowboys just put a franchise tag on Spencer.
Is that right or is it too early to do so?
I just glanced through that piece so I wasn't sure.

I say if we can get Shaun Phillips for less, we should do it and save the cap to roll over to take care of Watt and Cushing when the time comess

The season isnt over yet and the tag numbers havent been released yet.

76Texan
02-03-2013, 09:26 PM
The season isnt over yet and the tag numbers havent been released yet.

Yeah, I checked it out and it was from last year.
Spencer is going to be expensive now.

Big Lou
02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
This is really a gauge of Richard Smith's performance. Barwin's future with the Texans will be front & center of this year's off season. Will Smith be able to land him? Or won't he? Will he have to overpay to keep him?

Did we fire Wade? Richard Smith is back?

Norg
02-03-2013, 11:46 PM
we based on production and skill and future protentional

so that saying lets just let him walk and get it over with

thunderkyss
02-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Did we fire Wade? Richard Smith is back?

Sorry.

Meant Rick.

Insideop
02-04-2013, 12:44 AM
I agree and should have said they cant discuss it until after the third year, which is next year.

After next year they will need to give him MAJOR money, or he could potentially hold out.

This should be the Texans top concern for next year but they have to start planning now. And who they resign this year will probably have a huge impact in what they can give to Watt next year. If Barwin or any of the others are asking too much the Texans should let them go test the market. If there are no takers for some then they can come back for lesser $$$. Personally, I would rather the Texans try to sign Quin and McCain than Barwin. Realistically, I know the Texans are going to lose some players every year they don't want to from now on because of the cap. They'll just have to keep restocking through the draft. But, they cannot lose Watt! He's just too good. A "once in a lifetime" player that's a game changer! :swatter:

Big Lou
02-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Sorry.

Meant Rick.

Just busting your chops, lol, but you did give me flashbacks, scared the crap out of me man!!!!!!

BigBull17
02-04-2013, 09:32 AM

If they give his sorry ass 4m/year we're fooked. That would be a terrible contract.

BigBull17
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Watt
Cushing
J Jo
Ninja
Manning

Kareem
Quin
Reed
Barwin
James
Reliant turf monster
one legged crack head
Cody

Rey
02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Chose the lowest price because i couldn't go lower.

Do not want.

thunderkyss
02-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Chose the lowest price because i couldn't go lower.

Do not want.

I've seen this at least three times.... interesting.

So far, we've got 37 votes for $119M for an average of $3.2M

Which I could live with. However, if I were Barwin, I'd hold out for at least a 1 year $5M deal & get a do over. I'd probably do it if I were a Texan, if Wade wants him, but he would be the SOLB. If he's not good with playing that position, I'd let him walk.

I think he can get 5 to 8 sacks from that position. Probably the same as WOLB, but we need double digits from the WOLB & Barwin just isn't that guy.

Anyway. Thought I'd look up T-Sizzle's Contract (https://www.google.com/search?q=terrell+suggs+contract&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a). 6 Years, $62M or $10.3M/yr.

HOU-TEX
02-04-2013, 10:43 AM
He'd test the market if he's wise. He should get someone to bite on a decent payday even with all the FA's Lucky pointed out. Considering he supposedly turned down an previous offer from the Texans, I highly doubt he'll like what he'll be offered this season. He made a mistake not accepting that offer and he likely lost out on millions.

I like the guy, but he's not producing up to what the position requires of him. I mean, Watt and Smith inside are taking the double teams leaving the outside with one on ones. I understand you can't win them all, but dadgum

Dutchrudder
02-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I'd offer him a 1 year 4 million dollar deal as a "prove it" type of contract. If he really wants to stay in Houston, he can do well in 2013 and we can negotiate again next year. There's no point in giving him 4 years, 24 million with 12 guaranteed, which is what I think he will get offered by a needy team with lots of capspace. I don't think he's worth that much to the Texans right now.

Hagar
02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1515917-top-10-possible-nfl-salary-cap-casualties/page/6#/articles/1517727-predicting-the-25-biggest-contracts-in-nfl-free-agency-in-2013/page/12

Here's an article on Barwin's estimated contract.

Corrosion
02-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Watt
Cushing
J Jo
Ninja
Manning

I'd put Glover Quin and Kareem Jackson ahead of Barwin .... TBH , Im more concerned with resigning Quin than Barwin.

I do believe that Barwin's role changed significantly after Cushing went down .... prior to that , he was almost always in attack mode going after the QB , post Cushing injury we saw him in coverage quite often chasing RB's around (not so much TE's) .... and he did a reasonably good job.

He didnt put up big sack numbers but he was getting pressure often getting there a half step late. I dont think he had as bad a year as some others do .... and wouldnt mind him returning at the right price (~3m-3.5m) tho I'd really have to see how that affects other positions - especially Quin.

Luv_ya_blue
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
A bag of magic beans and some Pop Rocks.

BullBlitz
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
I voted on the basis of what would be reasonable to pay Barwin within the Texans organization and their pay scale.

So, I voted $7 million, given the contract that they gave Matt Schaub last year on a hope and a dream that he would miraculously have a great 2012.

On the other hand, it would also be like them to just let him go like they did Leach. If they do, I hope he goes to the Colts, Patriots, Ravens or Broncos and be on a fast path to a Ring.

thunderkyss
02-06-2013, 09:34 PM
So, I voted $7 million, given the contract that they gave Matt Schaub last year on a hope and a dream that he would miraculously have a great 2012.

If Schaub played as well as we had hoped & we won the Super Bowl he'd be looking for $20M/yr like Flacco. Instead, we payed Schaub $12M/yr

How much do you think we should be paying a 12 win QB, a division champion QB, who played in the divisional round of the play offs?

He's had a 90% QBr since 2008, better than 60% completions since 2007. 4000 yards a season (even in winning seasons) or on pace for 4000 yards since the day he started for the Houston Texans.

How much do you think he should have been paid? Should we have just let him go?

Connor Barwin doesn't do crap in a contract year & you want to pay him $7M/yr or you hope he goes to another team & compete for a ring... how much do you think we should have paid Matt Schaub who has consistently been a better QB than Barwin has been a pass rusher over a longer period of time?

BullBlitz
02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
If Schaub played as well as we had hoped & we won the Super Bowl he'd be looking for $20M/yr like Flacco. Instead, we payed Schaub $12M/yr

How much do you think we should be paying a 12 win QB, a division champion QB, who played in the divisional round of the play offs?

He's had a 90% QBr since 2008, better than 60% completions since 2007. 4000 yards a season (even in winning seasons) or on pace for 4000 yards since the day he started for the Houston Texans.

Connor Barwin doesn't do crap in a contract year & you want to pay him $7M/yr or you hope he goes to another team & compete for a ring... how much do you think we should have paid Matt Schaub who has consistently been a better QB than Barwin has been a pass rusher over a longer period of time?

I couldn't care less about Schaub's QBR, his passing stats, or his pro bowls.

I see a QB that has been here for several years, wins low pressure regular season games, loses under the bright lights, and hasn't been enough of a difference to get the team to an AFC Title game, much less a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't have extended him last year. His contract wasn't up.

thunderkyss
02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't have extended him last year. His contract wasn't up.

Still... if you think Barwin is worth $7M/yr, how much do you think Schaub is worth?

BullBlitz
02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Still... if you think Barwin is worth $7M/yr, how much do you think Schaub is worth?

I didn't communicate it well. I don't that either is really worth keeping.

I was saying that since we are paying Schaub the big contract and not getting much in return for it, then why not overpay Barwin too?

thunderkyss
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
I was saying that since we are paying Schaub the big contract and not getting much in return for it, then why not overpay Barwin too?

Much clearer..... thanks.

How much should we pay for a starting QB?

BullBlitz
02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Much clearer..... thanks.

How much should we pay for a starting QB?

I freely admit that I have no idea. I don't follow salaries. My sense is that you do, and I would be interested in hearing your view.

Schaub was here for years prior to 2012 and really hadn't done much. Why they believed that they had to extend his contract just doesn't make sense to me.

thunderkyss
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
I freely admit that I have no idea. I don't follow salaries. My sense is that you do, and I would be interested in hearing your view.

Schaub was here for years prior to 2012 and really hadn't done much. Why they believed that they had to extend his contract just doesn't make sense to me.

Even though they are three years younger, neither Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco set themselves apart from the avg QB before January 2013. But watching them play, you know they get it & will be better QBs in the future. There were of course questions, but the smart move was to lock these QBs up for the foreseeable future.

There were questions about Ryan's & Flacco's leadership. For Flacco there were & remain questions about his consistency. Schaub, like Ryan are pretty consistent QBs. There were questions about their big game ability, less so for Flacco... both have been answered (more or less) this year, but not for Schuab. This was the year we were going to find out how the three of them would perform on the big stage. But keep in mind both Flacco & Ryan have been in more big games, and failed, than Schaub.

If they passed with flying colors, their respective franchises would have to pay out the Wazoo to keep them. If they locked them up before this "breakout" season, they may get out with a deal. So to offer them the contract before the season is pretty much the franchise saying we have faith in you & your ability.

If you're in the "only thing that matter's is the W" group, then you're going to think Matt Schaub failed miserably. If you understand winning is a team thing & that Peyton Manning & Aaron Rogers were knocked out in the divisional round just like Matt Schaub, then you're going to look deeper, you're going to pull up your list of expectations & guage Matt next to those expectations.

Chances are rocket laser arm & run like a gazelle were not on Rick Smith/Kubiak's list. On the forum Matt's getting an F for the season. Chances are he's getting a B from the front office.

$12M/yr is a little more than competent starting QB money. It is nowhere near elite QB or even top 10 QB money. Top 10 QBs have salaries in the $10M/yr range, but their cap numbers are going to be closer to the $20M/yr that Flacco is asking for. With the cap rules & bonuses & contract structures, it is possible for a savy GM to keep that cap number down as long as possible, but sooner or later they've got to pay the piper.

Rey
02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Man just let Barwin go...He's not all that...

Luv_ya_blue
02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Man just let Barwin go...He isn't anything at all...

fify

thunderkyss
02-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Man just let Barwin go...He's not all that...

Eh.... I want Barwin to stay on the Strong side, I want to move Reed next to Cushing & I want to acquire an outside pass rusher.

If we get rid of Barwin, Reed stays at OLB, we need to acquire an ILB & an outside pass rusher.

Rey
02-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Eh.... I want Barwin to stay on the Strong side, I want to move Reed next to Cushing & I want to acquire an outside pass rusher.

If we get rid of Barwin, Reed stays at OLB, we need to acquire an ILB & an outside pass rusher.

I don't really like the thought process of keeping guys just so you don't have to find new guys. I the guys you have are not good, they aren't good.

I think Reed is a bout the same as Barwin is tbh and I really dislike the thought of Reed being an ILB and bringing Barwin back.

I'd rather Reed stay at OLB, draft and bring in some good free agent ILB'...and draft an OLB....

I'm not a big Merciless fan either but sadly I think he has the most upside out of the top top three OLB's from this past year.

But yeah...I don't want Barwin back because I know he's not coming back for a low amount of money. He'd be a good back up though...

thunderkyss
02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't really like the thought process of keeping guys just so you don't have to find new guys. I the guys you have are not good, they aren't good.

I think Reed is a bout the same as Barwin is tbh and I really dislike the thought of Reed being an ILB and bringing Barwin back.

Neither Barwin or Reed are pass rushers, but I think they're good football players. I think Barwin is better than Reed at SOLB, but Reed deserves to be on the field. So it's not that I think Barwin isn't any good, I just don't think he's a pass rusher & shouldn't be paid like one.

But he's a good football palyer.

badboy
02-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Connor Barwin doesn't do crap in a contract year & you want to pay him $7M/yr or you hope he goes to another team & compete for a ring... how much do you think we should have paid Matt Schaub who has consistently been a better QB than Barwin has been a pass rusher over a longer period of time?I think Schaub's 2012 base was about $4.4 m. I think his deal was very favorable for Texans. If one complains about Matt not taking to SB, same criticism should apply to all such as AJ, Foster, D. Brown, Watt, etc.

Rey
02-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Neither Barwin or Reed are pass rushers, but I think they're good football players. I think Barwin is better than Reed at SOLB, but Reed deserves to be on the field. So it's not that I think Barwin isn't any good, I just don't think he's a pass rusher & shouldn't be paid like one.

But he's a good football palyer.

Connor Barwins and Brooks Reeds are a dime a dozen.

badboy
02-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Schaub was here for years prior to 2012 and really hadn't done much. Why they believed that they had to extend his contract just doesn't make sense to me.If they did not extend Schaub, what do they do if he decides to go elsewhere after contract expired? No FA that will do better and nothing in draft. You have to consider the entire thing not just let someone go.

Rey
02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
If they did not extend Schaub, what do they do if he decides to go elsewhere after contract expired? No FA that will do better and nothing in draft. You have to consider the entire thing not just let someone go.

I do not believe any team is throwing a bunch of money at Schaub, and if they did oh well...He's not worth it. Leaves us in a bit of a bind, but you could trade for Alex Smith or sign him if he's cut and get about the same results.

HJam72
02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Connor Barwins and Brooks Reeds are a dime a dozen.

Actually, they're $36 to $60 million a dozen.

Figure of speech, I know. I just hate that particular figure of speech when applied to human life.

thunderkyss
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I think Schaub's 2012 base was about $4.4 m. I think his deal was very favorable for Texans. If one complains about Matt not taking to SB, same criticism should apply to all such as AJ, Foster, D. Brown, Watt, etc.

I'm beginning to understand that the money isn't an issue for them. They know it's not their money so it really doesn't matter. But the fact that we've made a commitment to Matt Schaub which basically mean we are not trying to get better at the QB position.

I was in the same boat in 2009 (??) when they were trying to sign Dunta Robinson. If they signed Dunta Robinson, then there's no chance we draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round & we never would have got Jjo if Kareem didn't look so bad his rookie year. Though Dunta had some skills & was a very good football player, I didn't think he was good enough to play CB on a championship caliber team.

He showed me some stuff since then, not what I want in a CB, but he was starting on a championship caliber team.

They may be right, Schaub may be a very good QB, just not a championship QB. They don't verbalize it as such, they say, "Stats don't matter, he don't win the big game!!"

& he hasn't. But neither had Joe Flacco & neither has Matt Ryan & even though most everyone put Ryan, Flacco, & Schaub in the same group... all of a sudden they argue he isn't even in that league.

welsh texan
02-08-2013, 01:09 AM
TK, show me a one footed Flacco or Ryan and ill put them in the same group as Matt Schaub at this point. If Schaub makes it through the whole season next year then ill re-evaluate, but I saw an ageing and injured QB unable to last the full course this autumn, maybe part of it was reduced offseason conditioning due to the injury, but I don't subscribe to the viewpoint that his collaps was ALL mental.

I think he's like that 10 year old car that gradually edges closer and closer to being a technical write off just to pass its MOT. Well soon see but we've all seen QB's hit that wall after being perfectly serviceable, Donovan McNabb played in a SB, didn't make his collapse any less brutal did it.

Barwin, it's a bad time to lose the guy, the coaches have conceded defeat in the Brooks Reed project, at OLB at least. I can happily feel all optimistic about Merci but his rookie season left a lot to be desired as a first round pick, don't want to lump my eggs in that there basket, not in the short term future anyway, although I'm not in any way writing the guy off at this point.

Then you have the question of Connor Barwin, one double digit sack season, a rookie season that flashed good things in limited action, a lost 2nd year, and one huge egg laid wearing a pristine letterman jacket and posing for photos all the way to New England this past season.

Texans need to play hardball with this geezer, but his agent is going to be wanting 10+ sack season money, and you know what? From past experience I'm pretty sure some other team is going to be that desperate and offer what he's looking for. The dude is still young and has shown system versatility to an extent, coaches will believe in their own ability to get his best out of him and as such I don't see him on our team next year. Which is a shame because as poor as he was this past season, at the very least he'd be a good guy to have in a rotation, and odds are he'd be our #1 OLB again next season, but given where our cap stands, it just doesn't look to me like we can afford him.

Lucky
02-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Barwin, it's a bad time to lose the guy, the coaches have conceded defeat in the Brooks Reed project, at OLB at least.
What did Barwin do in 2012 that Reed did not? I don't get why Reed is a failed project but it's a bad time to lose Barwin.
If they did not extend Schaub, what do they do if he decides to go elsewhere after contract expired?
The Texans could have franchised Schaub for the same cap hit, or less, than his new contract ($17.5 million).

thunderkyss
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
What did Barwin do in 2012 that Reed did not? I don't get why Reed is a failed project but it's a bad time to lose Barwin.

People think Reed is a failed "project" because of the talk (& that's all it is) of moving him to ILB. Saying that he couldn't excell at OLB so they're moving him to ILB.

However, this argument doesn't hold water as those same people will make up all kinds of romantic notions for moving Cushing from OLB, to MO, to MIKE, then back to MO.

For me, moving Reed to ILB is about putting as many play makers on the field as possible. Of course this means keeping Barwin, without Barwin, Reed stays at OLB.

thunderkyss
02-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Just gotta say..... I'm worried that we haven't heard anything yet from the Texans concerning free agents.

Tomorrow is March 1st, the deadline is March 12th. Unless there is a lot of cap room that we haven't heard about yet, I would think the Texans would be making cuts, restructuring contracts, trading players, something.

We've got Connor to try to sign & we've got Quin to try to sign. Even if we can't get either of them, extra cap room would be nice.

I don't know how the Texans F.O. work, but I'd like to think if I were running the show, I would have a plan. How much cap space do we need to sign the guys we need. How do we clear that much cap space without hurting us too much in the future. I'd have decided which of my FAs I want to keep, & I would pursue keeping them. I'd have decided which FAs I'm not to worried about keeping & I'd try to trade them if I can, or go ahead let them know, & cut them. I'd have an idea of what players on other teams I'd like to try to acquire & open talks with those GMs.

Seems to me, this is too difficult for the Texans to do. I get the feeling that we're trying to sign Barwin then when that is done we'll move on to trying to sign Quin. Then we'll move on to whatever else they want to accomplish this off-season.

HOU-TEX
02-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Just gotta say..... I'm worried that we haven't heard anything yet from the Texans concerning free agents.

Tomorrow is March 1st, the deadline is March 12th. Unless there is a lot of cap room that we haven't heard about yet, I would think the Texans would be making cuts, restructuring contracts, trading players, something.

We've got Connor to try to sign & we've got Quin to try to sign. Even if we can't get either of them, extra cap room would be nice.

I don't know how the Texans F.O. work, but I'd like to think if I were running the show, I would have a plan. How much cap space do we need to sign the guys we need. How do we clear that much cap space without hurting us too much in the future. I'd have decided which of my FAs I want to keep, & I would pursue keeping them. I'd have decided which FAs I'm not to worried about keeping & I'd try to trade them if I can, or go ahead let them know, & cut them. I'd have an idea of what players on other teams I'd like to try to acquire & open talks with those GMs.

Seems to me, this is too difficult for the Texans to do. I get the feeling that we're trying to sign Barwin then when that is done we'll move on to trying to sign Quin. Then we'll move on to whatever else they want to accomplish this off-season.

Knowing how tight the Texans keep things to their vest, I'm certain they're working on it and maybe even done something. Who knows

I think Monday's the deadline for tag designation.

badboy
02-28-2013, 05:33 PM

The Texans could have franchised Schaub for the same cap hit, or less, than his new contract ($17.5 million).Schaub's cap for 2012 was $12 m and for this season 11m. Does not get close to Tag until 2015. The $17.5 may be the signing bonus which the did pay up front but does not all hit cap.

I keep reading your post, are you saying the tag would have been less than his 2012 base (4.4) + his bonus ($17.5m) paid up front? If yes, that is correct but has nothing to do with cap hit.

badboy
02-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Seems to me, this is too difficult for the Texans to do. I get the feeling that we're trying to sign Barwin then when that is done we'll move on to trying to sign Quin. Then we'll move on to whatever else they want to accomplish this off-season.You actually think Texans do not have a plan just because they do not post on this MB? I think Barwin will go like negotiations did with Mario Williams. Smith makes an offer then waits. I think it will end the same with some team willing to overpay Connor.

thunderkyss
02-28-2013, 06:37 PM
You actually think Texans do not have a plan just because they do not post on this MB? I think Barwin will go like negotiations did with Mario Williams. Smith makes an offer then waits. I think it will end the same with some team willing to overpay Connor.

I think the Texans have a plan that I'm not comfortable with (I know that means jack to the Texans, I'm just saying). They should know what they want to do this offseason & should be making moves to do that. If their plan is anything like ours, then there is a need to clear cap room. I would think there would be some news about the Texans making moves to clear cap space. I'd appreciate it if the Texans would place that news here on the Message Board, but if they don't I'm sure one of their wonderful fans would.

I think they need a WR, an ILB, & a safety; would be nice to get a RT. They can try to fill those positions through the draft, through FA, or through trade. The draft is a couple of months away. FA doesn't start until March 12th, right now would be a good time to work out a trade.

The 49ers are in a better position than us, yet they just made a trade that cleared cap room & added assets to their draft capital. The Jets have made a lot of moves to clear cap space & prepare for the 2013 league year. we're hearing news from other teams around the NFL preparing for the new year.

The Texans are sitting on their thumbs waiting on Connor Barwin when there are a lot of things they need to be doing.

But I'm not the GM.

ObsiWan
02-28-2013, 06:44 PM

I think this "silence" has a bit to do with evaluating who did what at the combine and deciding who (if anyone) fit their scheme(s) best among the rookies on display. Besides, which F/A's out there should they be in a hurry to snag? Who has been given their walking papers from other teams that we would be coveting - and that we can afford??

So why make any moves until they've targeted guys they think can fill those holes? Why broadcast team needs (by cutting guys loose) before you have to?

Do you think we'd be bargaining from a position of strength, either with a F/A or for a trade, is the agent/GM knows we just cut (to pick a name) Barwin and now HAVE to replace him?

Naaah... I wouldn't make moves until I had to either. Too early.

paycheck71
02-28-2013, 07:00 PM
I

Plus, why start making moves until you know what the cap is going to be. Which was announced today, and is about $1.5MM higher than expected.

@mortreport: Teams get more money to spend - salary cap for new league year is $123.9 million per team after accounting of league revenues, per sources.

thunderkyss
02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I think this "silence" has a bit to do with evaluating who did what at the combine and deciding who (if anyone) fit their scheme(s) best among the rookies on display. Besides, which F/A's out there should they be in a hurry to snag? Who has been given their walking papers from other teams that we would be coveting - and that we can afford??

So why make any moves until they've targeted guys they think can fill those holes? Why broadcast team needs (by cutting guys loose) before you have to?

Do you think we'd be bargaining from a position of strength, either with a F/A or for a trade, is the agent/GM knows we just cut (to pick a name) Barwin and now HAVE to replace him?

I wouldn't base too much on who I like in the draft. There's no guarantee we can get any player we target at 27.

I would think best case scenario, decide what my team needs to look like today & move forward. Cap room should have been cleared to facilitate a trade where we would be able to get under the cap by March 12. I'm looking at March 12 also because I know there are players out there that teams would like to get something for before losing them for nothing either this year or next. Some of this may be pie in the sky stuff, like Roc Charmicle for Jarius Byrd.

At the very least, some of this stuff would be to make the NFL think we're looking for something we are not.... a QB for instance. To increase the chances that a team ahead of us would pick a QB in the draft pushing players we really want further down to us.

In my mind, Richard Smith has done a fine job in some areas & absolutely nothing in others. Last year, the new league year creeped up on him & he panicked because he wasn't ready, & our team suffered for it (if you consider 12-4 suffering & many of us do). Looks like 2013 is going to go the same way. & 2014 as well for that matter.

tru80texan
02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
You actually think Texans do not have a plan just because they do not post on this MB? I think Barwin will go like negotiations did with Mario Williams. Smith makes an offer then waits. I think it will end the same with some team willing to overpay Connor.

1st & foremost, I want to be clear that I'm not a Mario fan & am extremely happy that he is no longer a Texan. He was more hype then production & was extremely overrated & injury prone. I'm glad he is now the Bills problem, but in all honesty I don't think the Texans ever really made a real offer to Mario based on his following statements.

"It is a decision that the general manager (Rick Smith) made," Williams said. "Opened the door and pretty much gave me a one way exit. That was it. At the end of the day it is what it is. It is part of the business. People do not realize what really happened at that point in time. That is fine. The fans can only go off of what they hear everybody else say. It is part of the game. I am here now and just have to make the best of it."

Williams felt like the Texans weren't even willing to negotiate when free agency began. He said Houston never even made him an offer.

"It is the simple fact of everybody looks at it like you just up and left," he said. "You do not know the fact of basically being told, 'We are not giving you anything as far as an offer or anything like that.' Your hands are tied in that aspect. Everybody else looks at it like that you just went into free agency and left.

"Obviously there was plenty of time for things to be done and it was not," he said. "That is fine with me. I just wish everybody else that runs their mouth, says this and that knew the whole story about it before making a decision about me — just abandoning the fans, the team and everything else like that — that is not my role. I am not that type of guy."

I can't say I'm disappointed about how the Texans handled Mario, but I do hope this isn't how they handle Barwin. I still believe Barwin has potential to be a good pass rusher. Unfortunately, I agree that some team will probably overpay & he will be gone. I'm just hoping that they can at least re-sign Quin. I think Rick Smith has been the culprit in creating most of this salary cap mess & have so-so feelings about his job performance thus far, BUT the one thing he did right was NOT resign Mario & cripple this team w/ an overpaid diva eating up tons of salary cap.

Texan_Bill
02-28-2013, 10:14 PM
G) Free :pirate:

leebigeztx
03-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I think barwin is on par with ahmad brooks. Here is a link to his deal.

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d827457e5/

Brooks got 6yr 44m with 17m guarantee. That's a little less than 3m per in g-money and little more than 4+ in salary.

thunderkyss
03-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Brooks got 6yr 44m with 17m guarantee. That's a little less than 3m per in g-money and little more than 4+ in salary.

I don't think we can afford that without making cuts we should have seen by now.

ObsiWan
03-05-2013, 08:23 PM

I dunno.... if we pay Barwin $3Mil+ per year guaranteed, what the H is Watt gonna ask for??

$3 mil+ is too high for Barwin. Just my :twocents:

thunderkyss
03-06-2013, 08:26 AM
I dunno.... if we pay Barwin $3Mil+ per year guaranteed, what the H is Watt gonna ask for??

I don't think it matters what we pay Barwin as far as Watt is concerned. He's going to be looking at Mario's 6/$96M ($50M guaranteed). Factor in 2 years for inflation (if Watt's on a 4 year deal) He's going to be looking for more than $50M guaranteed, more than $100M

76Texan
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I think Barwin is gone. You just can't afford to pay a 3-4 OLB like a 4-3 DE unless he's really, really good; and Barwin isn't.

HOU-TEX
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I think Barwin is gone. You just can't afford to pay a 3-4 OLB like a 4-3 DE unless he's really, really good; and Barwin isn't.

And I think I'd be fine with that. I like Barwin a lot, but dadgum, not being able to win one on one battles in a contract year just irks me a little. With JJ and Smith commanding double teams inside, your OLB's should be having field days with one on ones. They didn't and we need to get better

Dutchrudder
03-06-2013, 10:47 AM

He's not going to ask for anything for 2-3 years. After this year, the team can exercise the 5th year 1st round pick option on him for about 7 million fully guaranteed (average of the top 3 through 25 salaries at his position). Then we can always franchise tag him in 2016 to ensure he stays a Texan. JJ Watt is the least of our cap concerns really, he's locked in for a loooong time. By then, we will be out from under Schaub and Andre's terrible deals, so it's not that much of a problem anyways, unless we sign some really expensive players.

badboy
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I think the Texans have a plan that I'm not comfortable with (I know that means jack to the Texans, I'm just saying). They should know what they want to do this offseason & should be making moves to do that. If their plan is anything like ours, then there is a need to clear cap room. I would think there would be some news about the Texans making moves to clear cap space. I'd appreciate it if the Texans would place that news here on the Message Board, but if they don't I'm sure one of their wonderful fans would.

I think they need a WR, an ILB, & a safety; would be nice to get a RT. They can try to fill those positions through the draft, through FA, or through trade. The draft is a couple of months away. FA doesn't start until March 12th, right now would be a good time to work out a trade.

The 49ers are in a better position than us, yet they just made a trade that cleared cap room & added assets to their draft capital. The Jets have made a lot of moves to clear cap space & prepare for the 2013 league year. we're hearing news from other teams around the NFL preparing for the new year.

The Texans are sitting on their thumbs waiting on Connor Barwin when there are a lot of things they need to be doing.

But I'm not the GM.Playing GM is half the fun of being on MB. For me the lack of "progress" is my impatience. I am not sure we have a player of trade value that we can part with. I can see trading picks for a player but would think both trading partners would wait until draft day. Until we begin to re-sign our own free agents, we have cleared cap room with all their salaries. As stated on other threads, many of those will not be back. I also do not expect renogiation of contracts until a need for that space (specific player) has been selected. I would guess that Texans have already spoken to certain cap heavy Texans + their agents about possible reworks IF a player has agreed to come to Houston. IIRC Schaub's deal was a surprise and came after Barwin turned down his offer.

tru80texan
03-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't think it matters what we pay Barwin as far as Watt is concerned. He's going to be looking at Mario's 6/$96M ($50M guaranteed). Factor in 2 years for inflation (if Watt's on a 4 year deal) He's going to be looking for more than $50M guaranteed, more than $100M

Oh yeah, mario's last way of putting the screws to houston. Mario definitely drove up the price tag for Watt & as most of us can now acknowledge...Mario is nothing compared to Watt. The Bills grossly overpaid for Mario & just like Dunta I expect Mario to be a salary cap casualty in 2-3 yrs based on his lack of production. Watt could easily set a new mark on top salaries if he continues to produce at or around his current level.

Concerning Barwin, this is what bothers me...the NFL Network is reporting that Barwin is willing to sign at a discount w/ a Super Bowl contender, so what does that say about what he believes the Texans are capable of if he chose not to sign at a discount here & wants to test the market? That bothers me that 1 of our own players isn't willing to give a discount to the Texans, but on record saying he will for a Super Bowl contender. I do agree Barwin seems to be gone, but it seems to be by his own doing if he is choosing not to take a discount for the Texans.

76Texan
03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
And I think I'd be fine with that. I like Barwin a lot, but dadgum, not being able to win one on one battles in a contract year just irks me a little. With JJ and Smith commanding double teams inside, your OLB's should be having field days with one on ones. They didn't and we need to get better

Dang, Barwin is near the very bottom of a long list of edge defenders FA graded by ProfootballFocus:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-edge-defenders/

His grade is also very near to the bottom of the LB list as well (all 4-3 LBs and 34 ILBs).

He's also the lowest-graded Texans Free Agent, LOL!

tru80texan
03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Dang, Barwin is near the very bottom of a long list of edge defenders FA graded by ProfootballFocus:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-edge-defenders/

His grade is also very near to the bottom of the LB list as well (all 4-3 LBs and 34 ILBs).

He's also the lowest-graded Texans Free Agent, LOL!

And once again, by your sites own admission the rating does not tell the whole story. I'm a big stats guy myself & believe for the most part the numbers do tell the story, BUT in this case I have a very hard time believing players such as Nading & Victor Butler are ranked higher then the likes of Van den Boche( I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong...sorry), Cliff Avril, & yes Barwin. That rating system seems a bit skewed to say the least because I would take the latter 3 over Nading.

76Texan
03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
And once again, by your sites own admission the rating does not tell the whole story. I'm a big stats guy myself & believe for the most part the numbers do tell the story, BUT in this case I have a very hard time believing players such as Nading & Victor Butler are ranked higher then the likes of Van den Boche( I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong...sorry), Cliff Avril, & yes Barwin. That rating system seems a bit skewed to say the least because I would take the latter 3 over Nading.

I don't endorse PFF, but I have to admit they are not the worst site out there.
They have improved their grading over the years.
There are still instances when I don't agree (mainly when they can only guess what a particular player was supposed to do on any given play,) but at the very least, they attempt to "grade" the players on every snap and record the grades.

Obviously, with a guy like Nading and all of his 22 snaps, you just have to disregard him altogether.

VB played as a sub and so you have to take that into consideration.

I think Vandebosch has been injured off and on for the last few years; it's not surprising that his plays tailed off.

HOU-TEX
03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Wonder what offers will be

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora

At least three teamsd vying for the services of Texans pass rusher Connor Barwin. Likely next man up after Avril/Kruger ...

thunderkyss
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Wonder what offers will be

If Barwin's gone, I feel bad for Cody.

Bad enough he's going to lose his best friend..... but he'll probably lose his job as well.

Edit: on second thoughts, no I don't feel sorry for him.

Mr teX
03-12-2013, 04:10 PM
based on what he's done thus far in his career, i'd say 2M...

IDEXAN
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Paul Krueger just got 40 M for 5 years with the Browns (don't know the guaranteed number ?). While Barwin won't get that kind of money, just 2/3 of that is > 5 M a year.

76Texan
03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Paul Krueger just got 40 M for 5 years with the Browns (don't know the guaranteed number ?). While Barwin won't get that kind of money, just 2/3 of that is > 5 M a year.

Why I think Barwin is a gonner.
Hey, but at least Kruger's deal will leave less money on the table for the next guy.

Goldensilence
03-12-2013, 07:03 PM
His production fall off this last year was really significant. Though he's got the athleticism to play OLB when his weight is down.

I'd be hard pressed to pay over 3 mil a year considering we have bigger concerns at WR and safety.

Perhaps I am the only one who did start to see some flashes from Merciless when he got more PT? Can he hold it down as as a starter yet? It's a gamble. But this team can't afford to overpay Barwin.

thunderkyss
03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
According to our poll, we have 82 votes for a total of $264M dollars. Averages to $3.2M/yr. That sounds about right to me. If we weren't so cap strapped, or if we could free up an extra couple mil without hurting our future I'd be okay with a 1 year $5M contract for Connor to try & raise his stock, I'd be extremely clear that he would be playing the SOLB position though. Meaning to be seen as the pass rusher he wants to be seen as he'd need to count for 8-12 sacks (along with the pressures & hurries that go along with that).... or if he wants to be seen as a premier OLB, 5-8 sacks along with a strong contribution to pass defense (& there are several numbers that could be used here to determine that, PDs, INTs, opposing QBR, etc...)

I want to do this, so I can move Brooks to ILB, then I'm only having to worry about drafting a pass rushing specialist that I can get in later rounds. I'm looking for a rotational player to rotate with Merci/Barwin/Braman, someone who can get 5 sacks playing spot duty. If this guy, or Braman, challenges Merci for the starting job at WOLB (either through stellar play by them, or disappointing play from Merci) we'll be in fine shape.

But I'm convinced, while Barwin & Reed are damn fine football players, they are not pass rushers. If Barwin does not stay, I need an ILB & a pass rusher.

His production fall off this last year was really significant. Though he's got the athleticism to play OLB when his weight is down.

I'd be hard pressed to pay over 3 mil a year considering we have bigger concerns at WR and safety.

Perhaps I am the only one who did start to see some flashes from Merciless when he got more PT? Can he hold it down as as a starter yet? It's a gamble. But this team can't afford to overpay Barwin.

I may be the last delusional fan that thinks our window is still open. With Cushing coming back & hopefully a healthy Jjo, I think our defense will be good enough to go all the way. With the NFL shaping up the way it is, I don't think we'll ever see a shutdown defense again.

We need an offense that pressures the other team to score.

Yankee_In_TX
03-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Anyone else starting to think Barwin and the Eagles sound far apart? Maybe he'll still be a Texan yet....?

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Wade Phillips @sonofbumI really hope we retain Connor --great guy, leader & player-one of my all time favorites to coach

IDEXAN
03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Wade Phillips @sonofbum
Hey maybe we've still got a shot ?! Honestly, I'd rather have him more than Quin, though maybe it's my bias that safetys (like RBs) are a dime a dozen while edge-rushers are anything but that. Don't get me wrong, I like Quin who is of course gone, but I don't think he'll be that hard to replace.

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Hey maybe we've still got a shot ?! Honestly, I'd rather have him more than Quin, though maybe it's my bias that safetys (like RBs) are a dime a dozen while edge-rushers are anything but that. Don't get me wrong, I like Quin who is of course gone, but I don't think he'll be that hard to replace.

I fully expect Barwin to be here. He has options with playoff teams, but I think this is home for Kosmo.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Eagles?

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
Eagles are on the verge of a deal with former Texans pass rusher Connor Barwin

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Adam Caplan (@caplannfl)
For those 100 of you asking, things are progressing with Barwin and the Eagles. We'll see what happens.

pissknocker
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Deal not finalized yet. Barwin reviewing contract.

Will rick match?

htowntexans1985
03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Man this team is going to look a whole lot different next season. Kinda sad yet optimistic.

jukhan
03-14-2013, 05:04 PM
@JasonLaCanfora
Eagles are on the verge of a deal with former Texans pass rusher Connor Barwin

HoustonRaven
03-14-2013, 05:05 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

Crap.

I was hoping we'd snag him. Oh well.

htowntexans1985
03-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Crap.

I was hoping we'd snag him. Oh well.

Y'all can't "snag" no one. Flacco took all your snag money!!!

JamesBill
03-14-2013, 05:08 PM
We have more depth behind Barwin and his production nose dived.

srrono
03-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Its crazy every player that I thought would be a high priority seem to not be important this off season. Quin Barwin Casey gone already the only thing this front office is signing is a overpaid has been FA Safety

jukhan
03-14-2013, 05:20 PM
TBH, I've always thought Barwin was highly overrated and i won't lose any sleep if he signs with the eagles.

That being said, i think that Mercilus will do a great job at OLB.

Playoffs
03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
I fully expect Barwin to be here. He has options with playoff teams, but I think this is home for Kosmo.
Well shut the f#€king front door, I was wrong on this 100%. Wade will not be happy.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein)
With Texans letting Quin, Casey and Barwin walk, it is very clear that they have another card up their sleeve other than Reed. They better.

76Texan
03-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Well shut the f#€king front door, I was wrong on this 100%. Wade will not be happy.

Ya know what I think when I read Wade's tweet?

Thanks, Barwin; see you later, LOL!

htowntexans1985
03-14-2013, 05:39 PM
He's gone.

Connor Barwin @
ConnorBarwin98

Crazy couple of days. Hard to put it
into words so I guess I'll let Boyz II
Men do the talking. #BullsOnParade
youtu.be/zDKO6XYXioc

HOU-TEX
03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
We lose another

James Palmer‏@JPalmerCSN
#Texanstalk. NFL Source: deal is done with Barwin and Eagles.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Well, I would have liked to keep him for cheap, but after all the contracts the Eagles gave out so far, I imagine he got paid a lot more than we ever would have given him. Good for him, hope he sacks the crap out of Romo! :D

I can't wait to see how much money he got from them...

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
So we lose Barwin. How do we replace him? Through the draft or FA?

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 05:46 PM
So we lose Barwin. How do we replace him? Through the draft or FA?

Reed and Mercilus will likely be the OLB starters and we will draft an ILB early. OLB depth can be found in the middle of the draft.

michaelm
03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
@JasonLaCanfora: Strong deal for Connor Barwin in Philly - 6 years, $36M, with the chance to earn a max of $40M including guarantees.

michaelm
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
@JasonLaCanfora: Strong deal for Connor Barwin in Philly - 6 years, $36M, with the chance to earn a max of $40M including guarantees.

And that, my friends is TOOOO freakin much for Connor Barwin.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Holy **** the Eagles overpayed for him!

Thats 6 million a year possibly more.

That's 2 million dollars per sack.

:toropalm:

jukhan
03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
haha what's wrong with the eagles??...

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
@McClain_on_NFL
Barwin grew up in in Detroit. He's a Philly kind of guy. Easy to get along with. Good interview. Does lot of charity work, too.

@FakeJohnMcClain
Barwin grew up in Detroit. He's a Philly kind of guy, with an L.A. face and Oakland booty.

Hahhahahahaha

Lucky
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
With Barwin gone, does the whole "Bulls on Parade" thing go away? I know that bothered many here.

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM

Congrats Connor. I bear you no ill will for going to "get paid".
Six years, $36 MIL...?? I thought Philly learned their "dream team" lesson a couple of years ago...

EllisUnit
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Congrats Connor. I bear you no ill will for going to "get paid".
Six years, $36 MIL...?? I thought Philly learned their "dream team" lesson a couple of years ago...

haha apparently not......how in the hell do they still have that kind of money ???

JamesBill
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM

For this much money, I don't care if he gets Jason Babin numbers there. Never liked him anyways.

76Texan
03-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Told you guys it's gonna take at least $6M a year; just the going rate, that's all.

A gonner as sure as I've seen one.

michaelm
@taniaganguli: Numbers on this Eagles deal are close to what Barwin was offered pre-season by the #Texans. He didn't lose money by waiting.

Lucky

Dream Team II? Never as good the 2nd time around.

According to the poll, beerlover thinks Barwin's contract is spot on. BullBlitz thinks the Eagle got a bargain.

Bargain Barwin? Nah.

Corrosion
Reed and Mercilus will likely be the OLB starters and we will draft an ILB early. OLB depth can be found in the middle of the draft.

They have a lot of options to fix both ILB and OLB .... but they did lose a large portion of their LBer corps - James , Dobbins , Barwin.

I think they look at the most dynamic player at either position early then look for value at the other spot later on in the draft.

And that, my friends is TOOOO freakin much for Connor Barwin.

I agree completely .... I wouldnt have given him $3m per. Teams always overpay for experience ....

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 06:00 PM
@taniaganguli: Numbers on this Eagles deal are close to what Barwin was offered pre-season by the #Texans. He didn't lose money by waiting.

Good job Rick Smith!

:koolaid:

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:00 PM
haha apparently not......how in the hell do they still have that kind of money ???

Because steelb said so.
The Eagles do sign a lot of FAs of late for big money.

ASidd_1990
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Thank God we didn't come to an agreement with him.

We dodged a bullet on that one!

Also, man Barwin's agent has got to be one of the best if he negotiated this deal.

Lucky
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
OMG. Barwin would be despised here had he gotten that contract and put up 3 sacks. I don't know if Rick Smith is smarter than we thought. But, he's definitely luckier than we thought.

Dutchrudder
03-14-2013, 06:05 PM
From Walterfootball:

Eagles sign DE/OLB Connor Barwin (6 years, $36 million): C Grade
I thought Connor Barwin could be available for a reasonable price in free agency based on his down 2012 campaign, but apparently not. I have no idea how he did it, but Barwin obtained $36 million over six years despite registering three sacks last season.

The Eagles had to find either a 4-3 Under strongside linebacker or a third 3-4 rush linebacker - particularly one with experience in the scheme - to rotate with Trent Cole and Brandon Graham. Acquiring Barwin would have been a good idea because he could bounce back to his 11.5-sack level, but not at this price. Philadelphia is definitely buying low.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013recap.php

I feel the same way. They overpaid him for what he has done in the last two years.

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
OMG. Barwin would be despised here had he gotten that contract and put up 3 sacks. I don't know if Rick Smith is smarter than we thought. But, he's definitely luckier than we thought.

Apparently, Wade Phillips doesn't love Barwin that much, hahahaha!

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/36183530.jpg

infantrycak
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
LOL - yeah someone needs to trade in their crystal ball since that is nowhere near vet minimum.

That was a good one to let get away.

Wolf
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Overpaid but good for him

TexCanada
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Anywho, thanks for everything Barwin! We never doubted your effort or commitment. Good luck in Philly.

Norg
03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Barwin was a bust pick and isnt good bye and shame on u rick for picking dis dude ..... : I

EllisUnit
03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Because steelb said so.
The Eagles do sign a lot of FAs of late for big money.

We sign 2 FA players two years ago and have been in cap hell. The eagles assemble an entire dream team of top tier FAs 2 seasons ago, it didnt work out so they release half of them and are now on dream team version 2.0. WTF

infantrycak
03-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Barwin was a bust pick and isnt good bye and shame on u rick for picking dis dude ..... : I

Wow, your football takes are as bad as your spelling. That bust pick just got a gigantic payday.

Norg
03-14-2013, 06:19 PM
We sign 2 FA players two years ago and have been in cap hell. The eagles assemble an entire dream team of top tier FAs 2 seasons ago, it didnt work out so they release half of them and are now on dream team version 2.0. WTF

acctually the eagles get alot of free agents loss and release them after two years rinse and repet

and they trade away all there deaft picks

Norg
03-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Wow, your football takes are as bad as your spelling. That bust pick just got a gigantic payday.

SO does tha mean the eagles will win the Superbowl now ..............

TexanBacker93
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Philly is spending as if there were no cap. I'd hate to see the team in 2 years when they have to jettison players because of these contracts.

Although, most of them are for only a few years and they saved a lot of jack by cutting Nnamdi.

76Texan
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Norg is a crazy soul, but I like him.

ObsiWan
03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
SO does tha mean the eagles will win the Superbowl now ..............

Ummm... who's their QB again? Oh yeah, Mr. Michael I-can't-finish-a-whole-season Vick.

Naaah... I think not.

TexanBacker93

We didn't release ours. We could have more room if we cut Joseph and Manning.

I still don't consider us in cap hell. We don't have to bring in as many players because we draft better, we keep more of our picks, and win more games. They jettison guys every season because the team is no good and they keep thinking they can buy the right pieces.

Heath Shuler
Only $8 mil of $36 guaranteed; at least the eagles had some snap.

drs23
03-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Good job Rick Smith!

:koolaid:

Now you take that back! There's no way Rick Smith has done a good job. Just axe the haters! :D

JCTexan
03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Eagles trying to be Houston East. First they trade for Demeco Ryans, now they sign both Casey & Barwin to expensive contracts.

steelbtexan
03-14-2013, 06:29 PM

There's a team that knows how to manage their cap.

Good luck Connor, I'm glad you got paid.

Time to draft Kruegers little brother Joe Krueger.

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 08:17 PM

If their plan was to let Quin walk & land Reed/Woodson, I wouldn't be so sure we're looking at the draft to fill the ILB position. We may find a veteran OLB, allowing Brooks to move inside, or we'll get a vet to man the middle, or they are happy with James...... darkhorse maybe Ruud.

I'm sure it isn't going to be popular, but I wouldn't mind leaving Brooks outside, signing Ruud for a couple of years, then look for a project pass rusher or two to rotate on the outside.

I know we don't have any money to pick up free agents, but I bet they find some somewhere.

Lucky
03-14-2013, 08:19 PM
From Pro Football Focus Twitter (https://twitter.com/PFF)

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF (https://twitter.com/PFF) How productive a pass rusher was Connor Barwin last year? 40 QB disruptions on 533 pass rushes. 29th best score out of 32 3-4 OLBs
I don't consider these stats as always absolutely accurate. But, that seems about right to me. Just not a $6 million/year player.

Rey
03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Texans need to adress the pass rush. Promoting merciless is not going to be enough IMO. I want to see if he has improved any since last year, because if he's not a much better player than he was last year and we're depending on him to be our primary edge rusher we're going to be screwed.

We need to get at least one more player that can actually beat OTs and not guys that are specialist in the clean up sack.

msbbc833
03-14-2013, 09:40 PM
From Pro Football Focus Twitter (https://twitter.com/PFF)

I don't consider these stats as always absolutely accurate. But, that seems about right to me. Just not a $6 million/year player.

Since only $8M is guaranteed, isn't that more like a 1.33m/yr player? I thought only the guaranteed number matters

Brisco_County
03-14-2013, 09:45 PM
This is exactly the scenario I and a lot of people have expected for a year now. Not a big surprise. Congrats to Connor for getting paid.

And I just found this from Rotoworld:

Brooks Reed is expected to stick at outside linebacker this season.
If the Texans had retained Connor Barwin, Reed would have kicked inside next to Brian Cushing. Now that Barwin is an Eagle, Reed is needed in a pass-rushing and edge-setting role. He's posted just 8.5 sacks through his first two NFL seasons, but has been a quality defender against the run.

Edit: I just saw that John McClain was the source.

Titans Sux 72
03-14-2013, 09:45 PM

And what do they have to show for it?

thunderkyss
03-14-2013, 11:22 PM
This is exactly the scenario I and a lot of people have expected for a year now. Not a big surprise. Congrats to Connor for getting paid.

And I just found this from Rotoworld:

Edit: I just saw that John McClain was the source.

Damn..... if McClain says he's staying at OLB, that means he's going to be our starting FB.

kiwitexansfan
03-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Since only $8M is guaranteed, isn't that more like a 1.33m/yr player? I thought only the guaranteed number matters

Only if your assuming you won't need to pay him the rest of the contract.

They are betting on him failing, Barwin is betting on himself succeeding.

rolyat93
03-15-2013, 12:02 AM

Bull****. If he had been a FA that summer, someone looking to overpay like the Eagles would've offered 10+ mil.

Lucky
03-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Bull****. If he had been a FA that summer, someone looking to overpay like the Eagles would've offered 10+ mil.
That's not what she was saying. The Texans offered Barwin a similar deal last summer (when he wasn't a free agent). Could he have signed for more money this summer had he been a free agent? Possibly. Barwin could have signed for more this offseason, had he picked up 20 sacks. So what? Neither of those scenarios apply.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Gook luck Connor!!

GP
03-15-2013, 01:29 AM
And what do they have to show for it?

That's actually the best possible answer anybody could have posted.

Impressive stuff. Would rep if I could.

Maddict5
03-15-2013, 07:11 AM
the whole 'numbers similiar to texans offered preseason' sounds like pr spin to me by barwins side. im guessing he was offered more by the texans but they know the texans would never admit that

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 08:23 AM

It all depends on how long he actually plays on that contract. If $8M is guaranteed over the first 2 years & he's cut prior to the third, he made $4M/yr.

If it's $8M guaranteed over the first two years, with $8M in compensation in that third year, and he plays that third year, then he made $5.3M/yr over those three years.

If it's $8M guaranteed over the first two years & he signs an extension that third year, say $24M guaranteed over the next three years, if it were me I would think I got paid $4M/yr for the first two years & I'm looking at $8M/yr over the next three years.

One more. Let's say it's $8M guaranteed over the first two years, but only guaranteed for injury. If that includes a $6M roster bonus & the stipulation is that he has to be on the roster at the start of the 2014 season, but the Eagles cut him before then, then he only got paid $2M for 2013.

HOU-TEX
03-15-2013, 10:00 AM
I liked Barwin, but I sure hope that ridiculous 'Bulls on Parade' BS goes with him or fades away.

Grams
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
I liked Barwin, but I sure hope that ridiculous 'Bulls on Parade' BS goes with him or fades away.

Amen

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 11:32 AM

Amen

Coming to a clearance rack near you
...maybe
:D
http://www.texansshirt.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/houstontexansshirtsbullsonparaderedmen.jpg&maxx=750&maxy=0 (http://www.texansshirt.com/Texans-Bulls-On-Parade-Red-shirt-men_p_17.html#)

beerlover
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Forgot about this thread but looks like myself & nytexan where the only ones who nailed his price tag. :money:

76Texan
03-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Forgot about this thread but looks like myself & nytexan where the only ones who nailed his price tag. :money:

I didn't vote, but I did talk about salaries of edge rushers, and I figured it would take about that much for a guy like Barwin (over/under $6M).

76Texan
03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
I take that back; I did vote for $4M.
Just didn't want to overpay for him, I guess, LOL!

thunderkyss
03-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I take that back; I did vote for $4M.
Just didn't want to overpay for him, I guess, LOL!

FA is about overpaying. If he got $6M, you didn't get it right, you overpaid.

If you said $4M..... you might not be right, but you're closer than the $6M guy.

Honoring Earl 34
03-15-2013, 12:48 PM
http://www.ridethepine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/varsity.jpg

ObsiWan
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
FA is about overpaying. If he got $6M, you didn't get it right, you overpaid.

If you said $4M..... you might not be right, but you're closer than the $6M guy.

And recent history says the Eagles overpay "better" than anybody.
:D

GP
03-16-2013, 12:10 AM

I had never seen the infamous letter jackets until now.

What a colossal FAIL.

Was it Doosh Bag Barwin's idea to do that? Good heavens that's sad.

Keep that **** in your closet, and wear it only around the house for crying out loud.

Sheesh. That's laughable.

ATRAIN
03-27-2013, 11:27 PM

So did the Letterman Jacket curse go to Philly with Kramer, I mean Barwin?

htowntexans1985
03-28-2013, 01:00 PM
One last word from Barwin......
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGdDLyVCEAAbJQ5.jpg

76Texan
03-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Actually, his last words were "I was never a leader". :kitten:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Blaine Gabbert lol

dream_team
03-28-2013, 01:11 PM
I really wished it worked out with Connor. I'll miss his personality!

Brisco_County
03-28-2013, 01:14 PM
...and Shaun Cody

I always liked Barwin's humor and him as a player. I won't miss the "Bulls on Parade" theme, but I don't understand people's "good riddance" attitude based on one down season.

DX-TEX
03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
I always liked Barwin's humor and him as a player. I won't miss the "Bulls on Parade" theme, but I don't understand people's "good riddance" attitude based on one down season.

If you look at the 2011 season 4 of his 11 sacks came in one game against the Jags and Gabbert....I think he will be exposed badly in Philly

deucetx
03-28-2013, 01:39 PM
LOL very classy for Connor. The Glabbert reference is a trip as well as Shaun Cody in the smallest print. No reason to dislike the guy. Didn't cause issues and played hard. Just not to the level we hoped consistently. He may end up missing the Glabbert's of the world since now he'll have to chase RG3, deal with Eli and whoever the Eagles toss out there to run that up-tempo offense.

I wish him luck except when it goes against my wishes of course, heh. Funny dude and he gave what he could.

IDEXAN
03-28-2013, 04:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21965480/connor-barwin-thanks-texans-fans-and-many-others-in-newspaper-ad
Taking out a newspaper ad to thank fans has become a hot trend for departing free agents this offseason. Ed Reed did it when he left Baltimore. Greg Jennings did it when he left Green Bay and now former Texans linebacker Connor Barwin is doing it in Houston.

Only Barwin, who signed with the Eagles in mid-March, has added a slightly different twist: he didn't just thank Texans' fans, he also seemingly thanked everyone he crossed paths with during his four years in Houston.

In the ad, which ran in the Houston Post, Barwin thanked his cleaning lady, his pizza delivery guy, his limo guy, Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert, his popcorn guy, several Texans' beat writers, a car dealership, Shaun Cody, the mayor of Houston and bread. Yes, bread. Although its unclear if he's thanking a type of bread -- white, wheat, rye -- a person named Bread or the Los Angeles-based rock band Bread.

Barwin also thanked a local movie theater for giving him four years of free movies -- and cheesecake. Not the Cheesecake Factory, just cheesecake.

The newspaper ad bar has now been set for all future departing free agents.
Class act all the way by Connor. Just one question though, I thought the Chronicle was the only paper in Houston ?

Playoffs
03-28-2013, 04:23 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2391371/ConnorBarwin.png

gg no re
03-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Class act all the way by Connor. Just one question though, I thought the Chronicle was the only paper in Houston ?

I would've expected him to run it through the Houston Press of all the papers.

deucetx
03-28-2013, 04:30 PM
I would've expected him to run it through the Houston Press of all the papers.

Heh, what he said. Chronicle is the only MAJOR paper. Houston Press is a small press that has some rather off the wall things inside at times that match C.B.'s personality perfectly. You're not going to find the latest world news in the Press in other words but you will find things that will make you blink. Well, if you aren't use to some of the ads and such in there lol.

badboy
03-28-2013, 04:40 PM
One last word from Barwin......
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGdDLyVCEAAbJQ5.jpg

I am a bit disappointed he did not thank his mother.

dtran04
03-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Did he just thank Blaine Gabbert for boosting his sack totals a year ago? That would be funny.

Ole Miss Texan
03-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Did he just thank Blaine Gabbert for boosting his sack totals a year ago? That would be funny.

Yes, yes he did. That's my favorite.

Pretty cool thing for CB98 to do. I wish him the best in Philly

IDEXAN
03-28-2013, 05:02 PM
"And Shaun Cody" was the smallest print on the whole page.
Those 2 were a pair, and you'd think would remain good friends in the future even though they are no longer on the same team.

htowntexans1985
03-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Barwin is a good dude. He just wasn't what this team needed. And I doubt he replicates his 11 sack season. But I will be rooting for him, and even harder when he plays the cowgals.

Brisco_County
03-28-2013, 07:02 PM
The small print for Cody was a joke, which is way funnier now that someone has to explain it. :)

And did someone resurrect the Houston Post, or was that a typo?

ObsiWan
03-28-2013, 07:46 PM
The small print for Cody was a joke, which is way funnier now that someone has to explain it. :)

And did someone resurrect the Houston Post, or was that a typo?

No he said Houston PRESS. It is the paper of choice for the kinda avant garde', left-ish (not leftIST), young, Urbanite types. The correct term is "Alternative Newpaper". I used to pick it up like clockwork when I was out & about on a regular basis to check out what was happening for the weekend. They used to have (and maybe still do, I'm OLD now and no longer part of that demographic) good restaurant and movie reviews and the latest info on local hotspots, clubs, local bands, and concerts. And as someone above mentioned, you have to be open minded when you get to some of the ads. They even tried to have some lowdown on the local politico scene. But don't go there looking for sports info; they don't really do that.

Yeah, I can totally see Barwin hanging with the Houston Press types.

Edit:
Are you familiar with Austin360.com or Austin Chronicle? It's like that.

Coolhandsluke2
03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
No he said Houston PRESS. It is the paper of choice for the kinda avant garde', left-ish (not leftIST), young, Urbanite types. The correct term is "Alternative Newpaper". I used to pick it up like clockwork when I was out & about on a regular basis to check out what was happening for the weekend. They used to have (and maybe still do, I'm OLD now and no longer part of that demographic) good restaurant and movie reviews and the latest info on local hotspots, clubs, local bands, and concerts. And as someone above mentioned, you have to be open minded when you get to some of the ads. They even tried to have some lowdown on the local politico scene. But don't go there looking for sports info; they don't really do that.

Edit:

They still have all of that.

Nawzer
03-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Classy move and I wish him the best in Philly.

WolverineFan
03-28-2013, 10:16 PM
A couple friends of mine met him outside the Elton John concert tonight. Said he was a real cool guy and had nothing but good things to say about Houston and the Texans.

TexanSam
03-28-2013, 10:28 PM
A couple friends of mine met him outside the Elton John concert tonight. Said he was a real cool guy and had nothing but good things to say about Houston and the Texans.

He seemed like he really enjoyed Houston and everything it had to offer. Bars, clubs, museums, restaurants, etc. He would have been a good ambassador for the city except he wasn't any good on the field this season.

TEXANRED
03-28-2013, 10:46 PM

Do you root for your ex when they go into the arms of another?

ChampionTexan
03-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Do you root for your ex when they go into the arms of another?

Well, considering Barwin said he'd probably have stayed here if the Texans had offered the same money - doesn't that make the Texans the ones who left him?

Brisco_County
03-29-2013, 12:24 AM

Edit:

I think that's the same paper I used to pick up at the record stores (when those existed) when I lived in Houston. I'd always check it for live music shows downtown.