PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we could have beat the Ravens?

thunderkyss
01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Not that I want to do the coulda, woulda, shoulda thing. I'm really going for a feel of the team kind of thing... trying to see where your confidence is with this team.

So the question is if Baltimore played like they played Sunday, could our team have beat them?

Try not to make it anymore complicated than it has to be, yes or no.

TexansBlood
01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
We match up well against them so yes.

CretorFrigg
01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't think so. We were getting progressively worse as the season went on. The Ravens team we beat was injured, without their starting corner, Ray Lewis, etc.

I don't have enough faith in Schaub to step it up in the playoffs to lead us to the Super Bowl.

Thorn
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't think so. We were getting progressively worse as the season went on. The Ravens team we beat was injured, without their starting corner, Ray Lewis, etc.

I don't have enough faith in Schaub to step it up in the playoffs to lead us to the Super Bowl.

this

HoustonRaven
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm not going to say if y'all would have won or not (any given Sunday and all), but I do know that this Ravens fan did not want to see you guys during the playoffs.

Our better match up was NE without a doubt.

TD
01-23-2013, 12:57 PM
I assumed you meant would instead of could, so I voted no.

Scooter
01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
most definitely. we're a very favorable matchup against the ravens, especially with JJ Watt being a major factor. their style of run and outside passing is the strong suit of our defense, and we're better at exploiting linebackers in the run game to take away their strength.

Double Barrel
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I assumed you meant would instead of could, so I voted no.

I answered yes because he said "could".

I would have answered no if he had said "would".

Rey
01-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Last year people said had we beat the ravens we'd have beat NE. Now we're wondering if we had beat NE if we'd have beat the ravens.

Sigh.

Honoring Earl 34
01-23-2013, 02:09 PM
I think the Ravens earned the right to get that no vote . :pinned:

Hervoyel
01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
We match up well against them so yes.

I'd say we match up better against them but I wouldn't go so far as to say we match up well against them.

This year I'm not sure anyone could have beaten the Ravens. Once a team starts to roll and pick up that kind of momentum it's hard for anyone to stop it. From a talent perspective yes, we match up better with the Ravens than we do with the Patriots. In terms of coaching we are clearly lacking in comparison to both of them.

markn
01-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Not a chance.

silentassassin
01-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Last year people said had we beat the ravens we'd have beat NE. Now we're wondering if we had beat NE if we'd have beat the ravens.

Sigh.

Funny how that works, huh? :splits:

Dread-Head
01-23-2013, 02:35 PM
No doubt in my mind.

eriadoc
01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
No doubt in my mind.

Me either. They would have kicked the Texans' asses up and down the field. Not only is it just hard to beat a good team twice in the NFL, but the Texans were getting worse as the year progressed. There were maybe two playoff teams they could have beaten, and CIN was one of them. The Ravens weren't.

Now if they had been playing like they were prior to the Thanksgiving game, then yes. But I think everyone realizes that team died on Turkey Day.

silentassassin
01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Me either. They would have kicked the Texans' asses up and down the field. Not only is it just hard to beat a good team twice in the NFL, but the Texans were getting worse as the year progressed. There were maybe two playoff teams they could have beaten, and CIN was one of them. The Ravens weren't.

Now if they had been playing like they were prior to the Thanksgiving game, then yes. But I think everyone realizes that team died on Turkey Day.

I think what Dread-Head meant was that he had no doubt the Texans could beat the Ravens.

Wolf
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
I was wanting a rematch with them , but looking back, I dont think so. The teams were going in opposite directions late in the season

Double Barrel
01-23-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm not going to say if y'all would have won or not (any given Sunday and all), but I do know that this Ravens fan did not want to see you guys during the playoffs.

Our better match up was NE without a doubt.

Really good point. I think the Ravens were pumped a lot more for the Patriots than they would have been for the Texans. Your team was on fire last Sunday. I think a big part of that was an AFC championship re-match where vengeance was on their minds.

disaacks3
01-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Could? Certainly.

Would? That's another matter, but homefield and confidence got a heck of a long way.

IMHO - I honestly think the Texans convinced themselves they couldn't beat Brady & Co.

dc_txtech
01-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Could - of course
Would - maybe

Who here wanted to face NE in the playoffs? They were a matchup nightmare for us, Baltimore not so much. Ravens have an awesome team and it wouldn't have been easy but yeah, I think we probably would have beat them. I'm also assuming we would have played them at home since we had a higher seed than them.

TexansBlood
01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
I'd say we match up better against them but I wouldn't go so far as to say we match up well against them.

This year I'm not sure anyone could have beaten the Ravens. Once a team starts to roll and pick up that kind of momentum it's hard for anyone to stop it. From a talent perspective yes, we match up better with the Ravens than we do with the Patriots. In terms of coaching we are clearly lacking in comparison to both of them.

Eh Denver had that game won.. Who would of though a miracle TD to Jacoby to force overtime with 40sec left in the game...

DBCooper
01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Doesn't matter because Belichick and Brady have Wade and Gary figured out and Wade and Gary don't have a clue how to beat them.

dream_team
01-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Could have? Of course!

Would have? I still say yes. I don't think their offense matches up well against our defense, not to mention considering how loud Reliant would have been.

ATXtexanfan
01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
i dont think we beat them last year with schaub. nor do i believe this year either. didnt denver kick their asses in balt????????????? in the regular season, not the playoffs.

Hervoyel
01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Eh Denver had that game won.. Who would of though a miracle TD to Jacoby to force overtime with 40sec left in the game...

Exactly, and the roll began. We weren't getting past them. That team is far more resilient mentally than the Texans. When it comes to dealing with adversity the 2011 Texans might have been pretty capable but the 2012 Texans are not.

Giant Tiger
01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Could? Certainly.

Would? That's another matter, but homefield and confidence got a heck of a long way.

IMHO - I honestly think the Texans convinced themselves they couldn't beat Brady & Co.

I agree with this. Baltimore wanted to win & they weren't stopping. I like how they beat Denver, too; gave them a taste of their own medecine.

BullBlitz
01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Since it would have been a high pressure, prime time game - not a chance.

ObsiWan
01-23-2013, 08:42 PM

I said as much in a different thread. The Ravens we beat in October were not the same Ravens that dismantled the Patriots last Sunday.

The Texans that put up forty on the Ravens in October was no where to be found in January.

Do you think we could have beat the Ravens?
Could? Maybe.

Would have? Seriously doubt it.

We have some growing to do. I'm looking at the NFLN replay of the AFCC game now. Two things are standing out: 1. The effectiveness of the Ravens' spread offense in running and passing against the Pats' defense. 2. how the Ravens made being the ball carrier - whether it was a RB or WR - a very painful experience.

MEGA SWATT
01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes, I do believe they had a very good chance of winning the game.

However, it wouldn't have mattered much since they would not stand a chance against SF.

Texan_Bill
01-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Well, Jup!!!

A) We actually did once!! (although, there is no way it would've been the 30 point beatdown like earlier in the season)

and........

B) The game would've been played at Reliant!!!

ObsiWan
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Well, Jup!!!

A) We actually did once!! (although, there is no way it would've been the 30 point beatdown like earlier in the season)

and........

B) The game would've been played at Reliant!!!

the teams in the Super Bowl won on the road.
...again.

I'm with Herv; I'm thinking this fuss about losing home field advantage is way overblown. What's the percentage that the #1 seed - either conference - actually made it to the SB, much less won it, in the last ten years??

I say last ten years because before that we didn't exist.

thunderkyss
01-24-2013, 12:02 PM
I appreciate all your replies, looking at the results from this thread, the doom & gloom doesn't seem so bad.

Thanks.

handswarmer
01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
I said as much in a different thread. The Ravens we beat in October were not the same Ravens that dismantled the Patriots last Sunday.

The Texans that put up forty on the Ravens in October was no where to be found in January.

Could? Maybe.

We have some growing to do. I'm looking at the NFLN replay of the AFCC game now. Two things are standing out: 1. The effectiveness of the Ravens' spread offense in running and passing against the Pats' defense. 2. how the Ravens made being the ball carrier - whether it was a RB or WR - a very painful experience.

Post of the day^

Big Lou
01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Mid season Texans could have beat a fully healthy Ravens Team, but the late seasons Texans, not so much.

The late season Texans were like a V-8 down a couple of cylinders.

Jules Winnfield
01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
we almost lost to andy dalton and the bungles at home. what makes you think we can beat a hot team with a better qb than ours when our entire team was mired in a horrendous season ending slump including our quarterback?

flacco would have shredded this overrated secondary.

False Start
01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
I went with, "yes." With the way we layedth the smacketh down, on their candy-a$$eS during the regular season, I think it turned the mojo/psyched out factor to our advantage. I mean getting beatdown like that would have to have to been in the back of the Ravens player's, and coaches mind's. :twocents:

HouTx11
01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Long time lurker here. Greetings.

I voted no: My vote is based off of hindsight as far as how things actually did happen in this year's playoffs. I'm personally bummed about the Texans from here on and here's why:

1. Going into this year's playoffs the Texans had the best and most explosive defensive player in all of the NFL.

2. This time around Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson were healthy and not trying to recover from injuries like last year's playoffs.

3. The Texans have the best DC that they've ever had in Wade Phillips.

4. Many other key players were healthy for the playoffs.

Yet, despite all of this, the Texans backed into and then struggled in the playoffs. They barely got by Cincinnati (no disrespect to Cincy, but the Texans were having a much better season this year than last year) and then once again got crushed by the Pats. Yes, the score was closer, but somehow the Texans forgot to play/adjust in the 3rd quarter, hence the repeat blowout loss.

For a while after the Texans were elliminated I felt as if the loss to Minnesota was the dagger that sealed the Texans' doom. Afterall, the Texans can't even beat the Colts in Indy even with Dan O as QB, so I had no real expectation for the Texans to win that one.

But as time went on I realized that even had the Texans clinched home field they just didn't have the planning, the heart, the killer instinct to face Flacco and the Ravens, whom they've only beaten once in a million tries it seems.

The Ravens had Ray Lewis back and was apparantly more prepared and very hungry to reach the Super Bowl.

The Texans, for whatever reasons you can think of, were not.

handswarmer
01-25-2013, 08:06 AM
I went with, "yes." With the way we layedth the smacketh down, on their candy-a$$eS during the regular season, I think it turned the mojo/psyched out factor to our advantage. I mean getting beatdown like that would have to have to been in the back of the Ravens player's, and coaches mind's. :twocents:

Yup, because losing the AFCCG in NE last year really intimidated the Ravens this year. :slapfight:

Ranger Tom
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Could have? Absolutely.

Would have? I don't see it happening.

thunderkyss
01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
we almost lost to andy dalton and the bungles at home. what makes you think we can beat a hot team with a better qb than ours when our entire team was mired in a horrendous season ending slump including our quarterback?

flacco would have shredded this overrated secondary.

Actually, before we beat the Bengals, I think most people thought Dalton was the better QB. The Bengals were definitely the hot team, winning 7 of 8 going into the play offs, where the Ravens lost 4 of their last 5.

They got hot by beating Indy & Denver.

Not much different than us beating Cinci, then a Ravens/Texans match up instead of a Ravens/Denver match up. That's the game I'm talking about.

Tailgate
01-25-2013, 06:46 PM

Could? Maybe.

1) Losing Love and Talib hurt the Patriots.

2) Getting Cush back is a great start to help us improve in this area.

Uncle Rico
01-25-2013, 06:56 PM
optimism is great.

Bulls on Parade
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
The Texans match up well against the Ravens. So anything is possible. If we had a healthy Brian Cushing, I think we could have beaten anybody, including the Patriots and Broncos on the road -- which we technically did defeat Peyton Manning on the road before he was lost for the season back in Week 2.

Brian Cushing is our version of Ray Lewis in his prime. His loss was monumental. He's one of the few players we simply can't replace. J.J. Watt and Andre Johnson are probably the other two. We don't have a pro bowl caliber player at those positions other than the main guy at the top of the depth chart.

You take away any of those three players I mentioned and we quite possibly become a 6-10 type of team. Certainly the type of team who lost three out of their last four games and struggled in the playoffs. And mind you, we could have lost another two or three games without Cushing. The games against the Lions and Jaguars near Thanksgiving time were losses if not for a couple of lucky plays.

rush2112mn
01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
If we would have won vs the Patriots.....i think we would have had a good shot at a win. Homefield would have been huge......crazy and loud as hell.....I think we matchup well with them......

handswarmer
01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
If we would have won vs the Patriots.....i think we would have had a good shot at a win. Homefield would have been huge......crazy and loud as hell.....I think we matchup well with them......

Rens are a good road team

SCOTTexans
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
We have always found a way to dominate the ravens or make it a close game the past 2 yrs against them. We know what we have to do to be effective against them, so i have to go with yes we would have beat the ravens w/ homefield adv in the playoffs

Its the dominant QBs that we cant seem to find the game plan to be effective....

Norg
01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
we will never know we screwed that up by losing to the colts and Minny

do we play the ravens next year ..?????

417Texan
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Not that I want to do the coulda, woulda, shoulda thing. I'm really going for a feel of the team kind of thing... trying to see where your confidence is with this team.

So the question is if Baltimore played like they played Sunday, could our team have beat them?

Try not to make it anymore complicated than it has to be, yes or no.

Anything is possible. Houston could of done it and they could of loss. 50/50

thunderkyss
01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
We have always found a way to dominate the ravens or make it a close game the past 2 yrs against them. We know what we have to do to be effective against them, so i have to go with yes we would have beat the ravens w/ homefield adv in the playoffs

I think there are at least three tiers of teams in the NFL. The bad, the good, & the elite.

It took us a while to where we can consistently beat the bad teams. Right now, I think we'll be favored to win against the "good" teams, but a win isn't guaranteed.

& we're just "competitive" against the Elite teams. Luckily, there are only so many elite teams. The Patriots is definitely one of them. They are on a whole other level than we are & we've got to get that figured out.

We're going to play Baltimore, New England, & Denver in 2013. I give us a 50/50 chance of beating Baltimore & Denver. 30/70 chance of beating New England.

The same thing will be true next season as it was in the play offs. Our run game & our defense is going to have to step up & play at a high level to give our offense a chance to win the game, OR.. New England is going to have to be off their game.

It's the same, I think, for Baltimore & Denver. They will have to bring their run game & their defense to beat New England to win. That's the only difference between New England's game against us & Baltimore. Baltimore's run game showed up. Baltimore's defense showed up.

Not taking anything away from Flacco, he was/is better than Schaub in 2012's play offs. His big throws down the field probably opened it up for Ray Rice. Their ability to score TDs definitely helped their defense stay aggressive. But bottom line, their run game showed up, their defense showed up.

We'll never beat New England if our run game & defense do not show up.