PDA

View Full Version : After watching the games today...

Atl Cav
01-20-2013, 09:41 PM
I dont think I saw anything the Texans cant do.

We need to get more agressive on offense, Schaub needs to push it down the field more.

We need more speed in the receiving corps.

We need to study the defense the Ravens deployed against the Patriots tonight. If we need to add a body or two on defense to enable this, so be it.

But I watched a team earn the Super Bowl that we thrashed earlier this year.

I dont think we need to add much. What we need to improve upon is more in our heads than our phyisical abilities. Im looking forward to next year.

ATXtexanfan
01-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Harbaugh> kubiak
Flacco> schaub

Mr. Texan
01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
ravens defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> texans defense

wade phillips can't gameplan against elite qb's

he's too stubborn.

PockyAF
01-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Harbaugh> kubiak
Flacco> schaub
How many Balt fans would say that the last couple of years, dumb dumb?

How many playoffs out did it take before they got a trip to the superbowl, dumb dumb?

35 yo.. smdh

Mr teX
01-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Both teams had lb's that can play all 3 downs....they didn't shuttle 1 of them off and bring a cb in....or a safety down to cover......the defenses also had their **** together and were ready for the uptempo play....

Rey
01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Some teams come out and play like they're on a mission in big games. We haven't shown we can do that at any point.

But hey we beat the bears when we were both considered top tier teams.

Atl Cav
Both teams had lb's that can play all 3 downs....they didn't shuttle 1 of them off and bring a cb in....or a safety down to cover......the defenses also had their **** together and were ready for the uptempo play....

Good point Tex.

Playoffs
Didn't see the Ravens D running around looking lost & out of formation pre-snap.

gwallaia
01-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Texans beat Ravens, Patriots beat Texans, Ravens beat Patriots. I guess it's all about match ups and timing.

Heath Shuler
01-20-2013, 09:54 PM
the more physical team won

the Texans need to be more physical

amazing80
01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
cordarrelle patterson

dtran04
01-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Ray Lewis, who is possibly the slowest player on that defense (including their D-Line) not once was matched up one on one with a skill player.

Yet the Texans can't seem to hide any of the LBs in coverage.

ATXtexanfan
01-20-2013, 10:00 PM

How many playoffs out did it take before they got a trip to the superbowl, dumb dumb?

35 yo.. smdh

What do you mean. Didn't the ravens have the pats beat last year minus a drop AND missed fg. Um we blew Homefield let alone a superbowl trip. Dumb dumb. By the way flacco can throw ball more than 25 yds downfield. By the way has harbaugh ever misses the playoffs. Dumb dumb

ATXtexanfan
01-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Ray Lewis, who is possibly the slowest player on that defense (including their D-Line) not once was matched up one on one with a skill player.

Yet the Texans can't seem to hide any of the LBs in coverage.

Nice observation

RTP2110
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
I think we can reach a SB with Schaub after watching today's games. Brady, Manning, Manning, Brees, & Rodgers are all at home. It's CK7 and Flacco in the big game. It takes a good, solid team all the way around to make the SB.

Rey
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
So a team with pollard and jacoby on it can win....

Hagar
01-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Except beat the Patriots

dtran04
01-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Nice observation

Also, it's easy to line up quickly after plays if you're just playing zone. That's why the hurry up didn't mess up the Ravens at all.

In man to man, half the battle is figuring out who to cover, hence the Texans running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Pretty simple really.

hradhak
01-20-2013, 10:08 PM
I think the Ravens offense was just more aggressive with the playcalls. They were throwing it down field. Their Red Zone plays were throws up high and they let the skill players make plays.

Our offense doesn't ask our skill players to make plays. We rely on tricking the opponent. That works against bad defenses, but well coached teams can adjust. Ultimately, our offense needs to get more creative, and our defense needs to shut down elite offenses.

Mr. Texan
01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
the ravens offense was dead in the first half.

then they abandoned the run and just lined flacco in the shotgun and spread them out with 4-5 WR sets and started picking their defense apart.

dream_team
01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Say what you want to say about high-powered offenses in today's league... but what I saw today was defenses bringing their team to the Superbowl.

Both the 49ers and Ravens totally shut down these high-powered offenses in the 2nd half, not allowing either team to score a single point... allowing the offenses to make a comeback.

Maybe the bigger issue isn't Schaub not being elite, but why can't out defense stop elite QBs.

ATXtexanfan
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Lol rep

ATXtexanfan
01-20-2013, 10:45 PM

then they abandoned the run and just lined flacco in the shotgun and spread them out with 4-5 WR sets and started picking their defense apart.

Didn't we that vs jax and never go back?

Textan
01-20-2013, 10:47 PM

35 yo.. smdh

The Ravens triumphed over the New York Giants in Super Bowl XXXV at the conclusion of the 2000 season,
They won that Super Bowl in their fourth year of existence.
What were you saying about dumb?

stingray
01-20-2013, 10:48 PM

They weren't an expansion team.

worldlyman
01-20-2013, 11:07 PM

The original Cleveland Browns owned by Art Modell became the team that put dirty bird logos on their helmets when they moved to Baltimore in the late 90s. Yep, it indeed took a few decades for the Baltimore Ravens franchise to finally get to the Super Bowl in '00-'01, as well as win!

Mr. Texan
01-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Didn't we that vs jax and never go back?

yep.

sometimes i'd rather take my chance with schaub in the shotgun with 4+ wr formations (and more passes on first down) than try to force the run/pa pass when it's clearly not there.

i mean we've seen schaub lead the nfl in passing yards (and the team to a 9-7 record) with no run game, im sure it can work during times where the run game is not at it's strongest. even if he goes down in flames i'd rather go down swinging than continue with a conservative gameplan on offense when it's failing.

Texn4life
01-20-2013, 11:34 PM
After watching the game today I realized their coaches, GMs, and owners have something we don't........ A sack! Just look at the chances they took in the offseason and during the season.

Niners- signed Moss who made plays today to help them get to the Super Bowl. Replaced their starting QB knowing they would be criticized for it. Re-signed some of their free agents and made it work even though it was tough cap wise.

Ravens- fired the O-coordinator. Trusted both Lewis and Suggs on their word they could come back from season ending injuries. Signed a player that gave them a gift in a playoff game last year. Reshuffled their o-line at the end of the year.

These are just a few examples....... sometimes you have to bet big to win big. I don't know if we're even betting at all.

handswarmer
01-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Wll, you have all off season to figure it out....

Texn4life
01-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Wll, you have all off season to figure it out....

People have complimented your team, so are you really gonna become that guy now?

disaacks3
01-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Didn't see the Ravens D running around looking lost & out of formation pre-snap. Nope, they relied on less substitutions as well.

then they abandoned the run and just lined flacco in the shotgun and spread them out with 4-5 WR sets and started picking their defense apart. That's called adapting, or "taking what they give you". I'd really love to see the Texans make similar halftime adjustments.

handswarmer
01-20-2013, 11:49 PM
He completed 21 of 36 passes for 240 yards, three touchdowns, no interceptions and a 106.3 QB rating in Sunday’s 28-13 AFC title game upset of the Patriots

MEGA SWATT
01-20-2013, 11:51 PM

Leach

MEGA SWATT
01-21-2013, 12:02 AM
No field goals by the raves tonite. NONE! Two by NE

NE played like the Texans and the raves played like machines!

Brady was 67-0 at home when leading at halftime before this game!!!! Wow!!

Surreal McCoy
01-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Say what you want to say about high-powered offenses in today's league... but what I saw today was defenses bringing their team to the Superbowl.

Both the 49ers and Ravens totally shut down these high-powered offenses in the 2nd half, not allowing either team to score a single point... allowing the offenses to make a comeback.

Maybe the bigger issue isn't Schaub not being elite, but why can't out defense stop elite QBs.

Please if you can stick to the prescribed narrative.

Kind regards,
TT

MistaRed
01-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Harbaugh> kubiak
Flacco> schaub

I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game.

"What do the Ravens have that the Texans don't?"

BullNation4Life
01-21-2013, 01:14 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game.

"What do the Ravens have that the Texans don't?"

A QB who is not afraid to throw the deep ball first, short second?

A QB who actually moves his feet and doesn't curl up n a fetal position when pressure gets near...

Not saying Flacco hasn't had his "Schaub" moments, but he grabbed opportunity by the throat and ran with it in the playoffs...Schaub ran crying like a little biatch....

A team as a whole who are not intimidated by the mere sight of the Patriots or any team in the AFC for that matter. A team with the swagger of KNOWING they can win a Super Bowl and a head coach that makes them believe...

Texans are just a team that HOPES to get to the Super Bowl one day...

This what the Ravens have that the Texans don't and won't have while Kubiak and Schaub are on this team...

MistaRed
01-21-2013, 01:28 AM

A QB who actually moves his feet and doesn't curl up n a fetal position when pressure gets near...

Not saying Flacco hasn't had his "Schaub" moments, but he grabbed opportunity by the throat and ran with it in the playoffs...Schaub ran crying like a little biatch....

A team as a whole who are not intimidated by the mere sight of the Patriots or any team in the AFC for that matter. A team with the swagger of KNOWING they can win a Super Bowl and a head coach that makes them believe...

This what the Ravens have that the Texans don't and won't have while Kubiak and Schaub are on this team...

100% truth

EllisUnit
01-21-2013, 03:05 AM
Oh come on now, the Ravens have been so close the last 4-5 of seasons and chocked it away just as the texans have done the last 2 seasons.

So lets not go over board here.

You throw enough pitched to a blind man and he is lauble to get a hit eventually !!!!!

Texanmike02
01-21-2013, 04:13 AM
I can't believe I read this thread. I can't believe that people are comparing schaub and flacco. Newsflash, both qbs put up the same number of points. The difference is our defense. Anyone that blames schaub is an idiot. Bottom line, if you score 28 pts and lose it is your defense.

Mike

Ghostform
01-21-2013, 05:06 AM
I can't believe I read this thread. I can't believe that people are comparing schaub and flacco. Newsflash, both qbs put up the same number of points. The difference is our defense. Anyone that blames schaub is an idiot. Bottom line, if you score 28 pts and lose it is your defense.

Mike

yeah...Schaub was sure throwing a lot of TDs the past month and a half. Although the defense is to blame too lets just throw them under the bus to justify Schaubs excellent play and conract.

Daravenator
01-21-2013, 07:15 AM
I think it really boils down to this: there tends to be one or two teams that your team plays well against every time that others struggle to beat. One team the Ravens always play tough, in victory or defeat, is the New England Patriots.

Why is hard to say. There are many intangibles you can't always explain. Personally, I think the Ravens defense has gotten into Brady's head over the years, and he does things in games against Baltimore that he doesn't do when matched up against other teams.

Trust me- in defeat you always look for the worst v. the best. I certainly did after we lost in the AFCC last year against the Pats, in a close game they should have won, or at least tied. The Texans have a very good team. Be upset over their loss, but remember that they are very competitive and will be back strong again next season. Bank on that.

Texn4life
01-21-2013, 07:51 AM
I think it really boils down to this: there tends to be one or two teams that your team plays well against every time that others struggle to beat. One team the Ravens always play tough, in victory or defeat, is the New England Patriots.

Why is hard to say. There are many intangibles you can't always explain. Personally, I think the Ravens defense has gotten into Brady's head over the years, and he does things in games against Baltimore that he doesn't do when matched up against other teams.

Trust me- in defeat you always look for the worst v. the best. I certainly did after we lost in the AFCC last year against the Pats, in a close game they should have won, or at least tied. The Texans have a very good team. Be upset over their loss, but remember that they are very competitive and will be back strong again next season. Bank on that.

Classy post and you make a lot of sense in what you said. Congrats on your win!

HoustonFrog
01-21-2013, 09:01 AM

Mike

I can't believe your using total points as your gauge without looking at how the game was being played, situations, etc. Flacco gas played better for over a month. He actually wins playoff games. He is aggressive. Right now he is better, plain and simple

Thorn
01-21-2013, 09:03 AM

I get more motivation as a Texans fan reading your posts than I do posts of some Texan fans. :lol:

Have some rep. :)

El Tejano
01-21-2013, 09:06 AM

We need to get more agressive on offense, Schaub needs to push it down the field more.

We need more speed in the receiving corps.

Actually this is what I saw from all four teams this weekend. The QB was mobile and able to avoid possible sacks by moving out of or in the pocket effectively and had a very strong arm to throw the ball down field and hit receivers in stride or to where on the receiver can make the play down field.

I'd also say the play of the offensive lines were better than ours showed this year.

I wouldn't mind us taking an OL at #1 this year.

IDEXAN
01-21-2013, 09:09 AM

That's very gracious of you, TY !
Your team was on a mission yesterday and they were obviously thrilled with their victory when it became obvious that they would be triumphant. Congrats on a great victory, and GL in the SB 2 weeks from now in NOLA.

thunderkyss
01-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I think the Ravens offense was just more aggressive with the playcalls. They were throwing it down field. Their Red Zone plays were throws up high and they let the skill players make plays.

Their OL handled their business, which allowed them to do things we couldn't do. Going into the 4th qtr, they said Flacco only threw the ball beyound 20 yards 3 times.

The Ravens ran it on first down, they ran it up the middle, & they stayed on schedule.

Our offense doesn't ask our skill players to make plays. We rely on tricking the opponent. That works against bad defenses, but well coached teams can adjust. Ultimately, our offense needs to get more creative, and our defense needs to shut down elite offenses.

short answer; I think this is way off.

Rey
01-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Oh come on now, the Ravens have been so close the last 4-5 of seasons and chocked it away just as the texans have done the last 2 seasons.

So lets not go over board here.

You throw enough pitched to a blind man and he is lauble to get a hit eventually !!!!!

The chargers used to get "close" a bunch too...

Titans, jags, jets....they had a couple years where they were close...

thunderkyss
01-21-2013, 09:50 AM
No field goals by the raves tonite. NONE! Two by NE

NE played like the Texans and the raves played like machines!

I guess someone forgot to tell Belichick & Brady they need to score 7, not 3. How in the world did they make it in the NFL for so long.

You do know the Ravens lost to the Patriots last year right? They've probably played the Patriots a few times in the play offs & lost right?

Everything you're saying about the Texans now, was being said about the Ravens by Ravens fans for a few years now.

Then, look at your reasons here for why the Texans lost. Try to flip it around to explain why the Patriots lost. It doesn't make sense does it? I know it's hard to imagine this is a team game, but if you think about it, Matt's the only Texans who stepped it up on offense last week. He was let down by his running game, and pass protection.

Just like Welker & Brady couldn't beat the Ravens, Matt Schaub wasn't going to beat the 53 guys trying to beat him, Jj Watt & Antonio Smith.

Playoffs
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
...Bottom line, if you score 28 pts and lose it is your defense.

Mike
I tend to agree with this. Our defense needs to play better against better teams.

Texanmike02
01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
I can't believe your using total points as your gauge without looking at how the game was being played, situations, etc. Flacco gas played better for over a month. He actually wins playoff games. He is aggressive. Right now he is better, plain and simple

Well it doesn't seem to matter what happens really. Against top QBs our defense looks terrible. Actually, against any team with 4 or 4 threats in the passing game,amour defense looks horrible.

Was Matt great over the last month? No. But all of the criticisms we have of Matt atrr basically the same that the ravens have had of flacco over the last several years. Matt is what he is but he isn't the reason we lost the packers or Pats games. Our defense gave up 40 pts in all 3 games.

This team needs another corner almost as bad as it needs a WR.

Mikr

Showtime100
01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
We have a better kicker than, in this case, San Francisco, that's about all I got. :D

No way Akers has a job next year.

Mr teX
01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
[B]I think it really boils down to this: there tends to be one or two teams that your team plays well against every time that others struggle to beat.[B] One team the Ravens always play tough, in victory or defeat, is the New England Patriots.

This....the ravens are that team for us...

76Texan
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
I get more motivation as a Texans fan reading your posts than I do posts of some Texan fans. :lol:

Have some rep. :)

Msr

76Texan
01-21-2013, 10:29 AM
I have rewatched this game a couple of times already.

It's similar to the Jets win over the Pats a few years back.
It took a lot of things to go right to beat the Pats, all have been mentioned before we met them and some are reiterated here.

We can win with a defense that showed up late last year and early this year.
Cushing is more important to this team than some knows it.
He's the enforcer that we lacked, the guy that raises the level of intensity up another notch.

IlliniJen
01-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Here's what I saw watching those two games: two head coaches who have faith that their QBs can make plays, and make plays downfield, not just dink & dunk passes.

Kubiak has lost faith in Schaub, and Schaub has started to look like HWSNBN out there with all those short passes. Everything on the offense has tightened up and become predictable and boring.

Mr. Texan
01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
i'm starting to think cushing would not have made much of a difference.

seeing this defense not even be prepared for the no-huddle makes me believe it's more than just personnel.

something is fundamentally wrong with wade phillips defensive scheme against good quarterbacks.

it's weird this defense went from giving up points/yards to EVERYBODY with frank bush to now giving up points/yards to just good offenses (other than the jags game).

they don't even make elite qb's work. dudes just waltz down the field on that defense.

yesterday i saw brady legit confused. something i didn't see against the texans.

13 points. 3 turnovers. shut out in the 2nd half. i still can't believe it :toropalm:

Honoring Earl 34
01-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Here's what I saw watching those two games: two head coaches who have faith that their QBs can make plays, and make plays downfield, not just dink & dunk passes.

Kubiak has lost faith in Schaub, and Schaub has started to look like HWSNBN out there with all those short passes. Everything on the offense has tightened up and become predictable and boring.

Yep ... They've done the same thing twice which is extend the contract of a regressing QB . Thank goodness they didn't break the bank with Barwin .

The best teams know when and who to pay and when it's time to cut ties . The 49ers during the dynasty years let Montana , Rice , Lott , and many more walk when it was smart not to overpay them .

GNTLEWOLF
01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I haven't read through all the psts so I don't know if someone has pointed this out.
The Ravens beat the patriots by making game plan adjustments at halftime that essentially put the offense in Flacco's hands. They came out and ran hurry-up offenses, and they found the Patriot's weakness in the middle of the field. Also they abandoned the run-first philosophy for a pass oriented philosophy that allowed the run to become effective. All this caught the patriot's off guard and prevented them from making defensive substitutions when they needed. I think the Jim harbaugh showed the world who the real offensive guru is.

Honoring Earl 34
01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
i'm starting to think cushing would not have made much of a difference.

seeing this defense not even be prepared for the no-huddle makes me believe it's more than just personnel.

something is fundamentally wrong with wade phillips defensive scheme against good quarterbacks.

it's weird this defense went from giving up points/yards to EVERYBODY with frank bush to now giving up points/yards to just good offenses (other than the jags game).

they don't even make elite qb's work. dudes just waltz down the field on that defense.

yesterday i saw brady legit confused. something i didn't see against the texans.

13 points. 3 turnovers. shut out in the 2nd half. i still can't believe it :toropalm:

The Ravens defense can adjust just as fast as the Patriots offense because of Ray Lewis making the calls . Brady and Lewis don't have to wait for the sideline to make the call .

BullNation4Life
01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
I guess someone forgot to tell Belichick & Brady they need to score 7, not 3. How in the world did they make it in the NFL for so long.

You do know the Ravens lost to the Patriots last year right? They've probably played the Patriots a few times in the play offs & lost right?

Everything you're saying about the Texans now, was being said about the Ravens by Ravens fans for a few years now.

Then, look at your reasons here for why the Texans lost. Try to flip it around to explain why the Patriots lost. It doesn't make sense does it? I know it's hard to imagine this is a team game, but if you think about it, Matt's the only Texans who stepped it up on offense last week. He was let down by his running game, and pass protection.

Just like Welker & Brady couldn't beat the Ravens, Matt Schaub wasn't going to beat the 53 guys trying to beat him, Jj Watt & Antonio Smith.

It really isn't that hard to know why the Patriots lost, actually quite simple. The Ravens were not scared of Tom Brady, the Texans were. So in reality it makes perfect sense. Ravens lost last year on 2 fluke plays, so I am not using last year as a measuring stick, I am using THIS year, because THIS year the Texans got their ass handed to them, not once but twice.

Texans have a QB that shrivels up when pressure is near him. As much "Flac" as Flacco gets, in the playoffs, he has stepped up huge...

Now of course the defense has failure on its hands as well, but again, the biggest difference between the Ravens defense and the Texans, Ravens aren't soft, they man up and punch you in the mouth, then laugh at you while doing so...

Texans might punch you in the mouth, then apologize for doing it...

76Texan
01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Like I said, a lot of things need to go right to beat Brady.

1. On defense, rush 4 more, hoping to avoid the big plays.
Brady was still able to move the ball though .
But you hope he makes some errors. He did when he missed a wide open D. Branch in the end zone near the end of the half.
He also barely missed a few more throws downfield, Welker and Hernandez I think .
Then you need their receivers to drop a few balls; they did on a few critical 3rd down conversions.
Then you hope that their receivers don't have too many good plays, they didn't , they didn't make some great catches like the Ravens receivers and TEs did.

Then you hope your pressure can get close to him some when needed; it did .
They batted a pass at the line causing an INT; they got enough of a push not to allow Brady to step into his throw and was short on the second INT.

You stifled the run game enough, including that forced fumble by Pollard .

Overall, the Ravens D allowed a bunch of yards, but they sucked it up when they needed too .

The Texans didn't have any of the above and that's just on the defensive side .

CeeQue
01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
It all boils down to leadership and preparation... and both of those start and end with our coaches.

I have not seen a team play New England as well as Baltimore did last night... on both sides of the ball. The offense was focused and attacked New England defense... and Baltimore's defense PUNISHED New England's offense and was not caught off-guard once! It was a thing of beauty...

And mind you, Baltimore did this with a bunch of former Texans... Vonta Leach, Bernardo Pollard, and Jacoby 'Blockhead' Jones. Their coaching staff turned our scrubs into AFC Champs.

Our team has put on the mental fortitude of our timid coaches in big games.... Think about it, Kubes can't even watch an end of game field goal so how in the world is he and Wade 'Milk Toast' Phillips going to get someone prepared to play aggressive, championship-style football when it counts.

handswarmer
01-21-2013, 11:41 AM

Two things that John Harbaugh did that pushed this team to the wins:

-fired Cam Caeron with three games left in the season andessentially turned over the keys to offensive car to Joe Flacco and let him loose....

-finally let Bryant McKinnie out of his doghouse, allowing him to start at Left Tackle pushing Micheal Oher to the Right Tackle position where he is better suited.

Ballsy moves this late in the season...and winners.

Texans will be there soon- they need some playoff seasoning- been in what 4 games so far? Wns will come for them but Schaub needs to play with more confidence- he seems skittish under pressure. When the pocket is clean he is money though....

76Texan
01-21-2013, 11:43 AM
It all boils down to leadership and preparation... and both of those start and end with our coaches.

I have not seen a team play New England as well as Baltimore did last night... on both sides of the ball. The offense was focused and attacked New England defense... and Baltimore's defense PUNISHED New England's offense and was not caught off-guard once! It was a thing of beauty...

And mind you, Baltimore did this with a bunch of former Texans... Vonta Leach, Bernardo Pollard, and Jacoby 'Blockhead' Jones. Their coaching staff turned our scrubs into AFC Champs.

Our team has put on the mental fortitude of our timid coaches in big games.... Think about it, Kubes can't even watch an end of game field goal so how in the world is he and Wade 'Milk Toast' Phillips going to get someone prepared to play aggressive, championship-style football when it counts.

They did get caught off-guard at least a couple of times.
Once on the 4th down conversion where Brady fooled them by pretending to bark out orders while the play was being ran without him.
The other time on the TD pass where the two DBs were not in sync.

There were other times, too, but either Brady miss the target or the receivers didn't make plays.

Tailgate
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
I have rewatched this game a couple of times already.

It's similar to the Jets win over the Pats a few years back.
It took a lot of things to go right to beat the Pats, all have been mentioned before we met them and some are reiterated here.

We can win with a defense that showed up late last year and early this year.
Cushing is more important to this team than some knows it.
He's the enforcer that we lacked, the guy that raises the level of intensity up another notch.

Correct, but we need more than just Cush back at LB... We need another stud in this unit.

Another factor is how well the Raven O-line is playing right now. They are dominating in the playoffs and the Colts, Broncos, and Pats have barely even touched Flacco. Such a huge piece of thier success that should not go unnoticed.

handswarmer
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Really? All three made the Pro Bowl and you call them scrubs?

Thts sme god stuff yer smokin.....

dream_team
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Mike

It's just mind boggling how some people can watch this game and still blame Schaub for the loss??? IMO, Wade had a horrible game plan, and that's the #1 reason we lost (there are others, but that's tops on my list). Sure, it would be nice to have a QB that can go toe-to-toe with Brady and match him point for point. But guess what, there's probably only two other QBs in this league that can do that.

klockWork
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Folks here in Houston are so grateful for how Wade turned this once horrific D around last year that they are willing to give him a free pass for his declining D performances. I say forget that and let's look at the bigger picture here. When every analyst and every stats suggests that blitzing elite QB like Brady and Rogers greatly decrease your chances of beating them and you still blitz them is unforgivable and incomprehensible.

This is no longer a great defensive team. With or without Cushing this is a solid defense at best. The Chad Henne game is the most incriminating evidence of Wade debacle of this team. Avg qb like that just don't accidently have elite performances against great D. If you want to start somewhere start with that Miami game and end it with NE.

76Texan
01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
I haven't read through all the psts so I don't know if someone has pointed this out.
The Ravens beat the patriots by making game plan adjustments at halftime that essentially put the offense in Flacco's hands. They came out and ran hurry-up offenses, and they found the Patriot's weakness in the middle of the field. Also they abandoned the run-first philosophy for a pass oriented philosophy that allowed the run to become effective. All this caught the patriot's off guard and prevented them from making defensive substitutions when they needed. I think the Jim harbaugh showed the world who the real offensive guru is.

On offense, the run game did enough to help taking the pressure off Flacco.
Rice made something out of nothing on a few occasions.
Leach was huge in all facets, from blocking for the run, to running the ball himself, to catching the ball, and blocking for the passing game.

When Alib went out, Harbaugh could have gone deep earlier, but he waited until after the half. Without Alib (who had made a couple of plays early in the game), the Pats pass defense reverted to its old way.
They are not very good.

They don't have the personal to cover Boldin, T Smith and the TEs alltogether.

The Oline gave Flacco plenty of times on those important stretches.
The receivers got open; and even when they weren't that open, they made plays.

Even the TE didn't drop a pass in the end zone like ours.

You add everything together and it's obvious why it was a win.

76Texan
01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Correct, but we need more than just Cush back at LB... We need another stud in this unit.

Another factor is how well the Raven O-line is playing right now. They are dominating in the playoffs and the Colts, Broncos, and Pats have barely even touched Flacco. Such a huge piece of thier success that should not go unnoticed.

Cushing can help making a semi-stud out of a few guys.
When he came in on a blitz or a zone dog, he can overpower a blocking back or he can be too quick/fast for most linemen.

Even if he doesn't get there, he gives another push up the middle; somebody else like Watt or Smith or Jamison or Mitchell can benefit from it; and our secondary, too.

In the run game, he's the enforcer, it's hard to run at him; you put Watt on the strong side and Cushing on the weakside, you have a pretty stout run D.
And those QBs that try to escape the pocket, they will start to slide a step or two or three earlier. I can't wait to introduce him to Mr. Luck.

Tailgate
01-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Cushing can help making a semi-stud out of a few guys.
When he came in on a blitz or a zone dog, he can overpower a blocking back or he can be too quick/fast for most linemen.

Even if he doesn't get there, he gives another push up the middle; somebody else like Watt or Smith or Jamison or Mitchell can benefit from it; and our secondary, too.

In the run game, he's the enforcer, it's hard to run at him; you put Watt on the strong side and Cushing on the weakside, you have a pretty stout run D.
And those QBs that try to escape the pocket, they will start to slide a step or two or three earlier. I can't wait to introduce him to Mr. Luck.

I can dream about having our Bowman next to Cush cant I??? :fingergun:

I have said it all along, improved ILB play and with O-Line would be the two most glaring needs this team must figure out before next year. I miss Foster breaking the long runs, as opposed to breaking them for something out of nothing.

76Texan
01-21-2013, 12:23 PM
I can dream about having our Bowman next to Cush cant I??? :fingergun:

I have said it all along, improved ILB play and with O-Line would be the two most glaring needs this team must figure out before next year. I miss Foster breaking the long runs, as opposed to breaking them for something out of nothing.

That will be bloody murderous. :hurrah:

BigBull17
01-21-2013, 12:23 PM
There is one thing that stands out to me. We looked scared. New England was completely in our heads. We don't have a tough mental make up. We have the tools to be physical, but not the will and desire to do so. Baltimore has that mental make up. They embrace it. Starts with leadership.

Honoring Earl 34
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
It's just mind boggling how some people can watch this game and still blame Schaub for the loss??? IMO, Wade had a horrible game plan, and that's the #1 reason we lost (there are others, but that's tops on my list). Sure, it would be nice to have a QB that can go toe-to-toe with Brady and match him point for point. But guess what, there's probably only two other QBs in this league that can do that.

The Texans scored 15 points in the 4th quarter , after the game was over . The defense was bad and there was dropped balls but in the end , we're limited .

2012Champs
01-21-2013, 12:27 PM

Dumb? Doh lol

Mr. Texan
01-21-2013, 12:33 PM
There is one thing that stands out to me. We looked scared. New England was completely in our heads. We don't have a tough mental make up. We have the tools to be physical, but not the will and desire to do so. Baltimore has that mental make up. They embrace it. Starts with leadership.

the texans are just a bunch of bullies

they're a team that beats up on lesser teams but doesn't know what to do when they get punched in the mouth by a bigger bully.

at first i almost entertained the thought it was all schaub but it's really everyone. the offense. the defense. the coaching staff. everybody.

Tailgate
01-21-2013, 12:35 PM
The Texans scored 15 points in the 4th quarter , after the game was over . The defense was bad and there was dropped balls but in the end , we're limited .

The Ravens did not start clicking on O like they needed until Talib went out. The Ravens O-line was already dominating, then you take away the CB that started the resurgence of the Pats D in 2012... and you saw Baltimores passing game start to take over. We did not have either luxury.

And 41 points vs 13 points is really all one needs to bring up. We were stuck with James and Ruud as our starting LBs... Lulz.

2012Champs
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Gary needs to go or open up the offense and let Schaub have at it. Then you really find out where Schaub is and where the offense is. I think we too often look bottled up and keep pushing the run no matter what. When we go hurry up/2 min drill where it seems there is less thinking and more doing and free flowing sometimes it works. If this change bombs then move on.

Wade needs to step it up and learn to adjust intragame

Honoring Earl 34
01-21-2013, 12:41 PM
The Ravens did not start clicking on O like they needed until Talib went out. The Ravens O-line was already dominating, then you take away the CB that started the resurgence of the Pats D in 2012... and you saw Baltimores passing game start to take over. We did not have either luxury.

And 41 points vs 13 points is really all one needs to bring up. We were stuck with James and Ruud as our starting LBs... Lulz.

Sorry but Talib is not all that . The Ravens started using Boldin , Pitta , and Leach and toasted the Pats . The Pats guarded deep and tried to take Rice away by leaving the flanks open . Guess what , the Ravens took their money .

Mr. Texan
01-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Gary needs to go or open up the offense and let Schaub have at it. Then you really find out where Schaub is and where the offense is. I think we too often look bottled up and keep pushing the run no matter what. When we go hurry up/2 min drill where it seems there is less thinking and more doing and free flowing sometimes it works. If this change bombs then move on.

Wade needs to step it up and learn to adjust intragame

i hope gary was watching the game and saw how poor the ravens offense was before they just ditched running the ball and spread the patriots out and had flacco primary out of the shotgun.

it's a dimension to schaub and the offense that we have seen work before that we don't try to exploit more often when the running game is clearly not at it's best.

a 3-4 yard pass is better than a 0 or negative yard gain from foster or a 0 or negative yard screen pass imo.

Norg
01-21-2013, 12:47 PM
last night i was so maddddd Seeing the ravens and pats play why cant that be us why cant it be the texans on top ... why do us sports fans in houston always mannn IDK its just so unfair we can never get nothing !!!!!!!!!!

Tailgate
01-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Sorry but Talib is not all that . The Ravens started using Boldin , Pitta , and Leach and toasted the Pats . The Pats guarded deep and tried to take Rice away by leaving the flanks open . Guess what , the Ravens took their money .

Didnt say Talib was all that, but when he presses off the line he is tough to beat. And its not a coincidence that after he went down Bolden went off imo. And Flacco already had all the time in the world. This little shift in matchups definitely helped spur the outcome.

76Texan
01-21-2013, 01:05 PM

Earl, Talib may not be all that, but he's the best the Pats had (just ask any of their fans).

He was effective when be was in the game and he was effective on AJ, too.

handswarmer
01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
last night i was so maddddd Seeing the ravens and pats play why cant that be us why cant it be the texans on top ... why do us sports fans in houston always mannn IDK its just so unfair we can never get nothing !!!!!!!!!!

Epic meltdown.....only thing missing is the cry of anguish and rending of garments.

thunderkyss
01-21-2013, 01:19 PM

The Ravens have been one or two in their division more frequently than the Texans.... that puts them against the Pats more often. We've been trying to beat a particular team for the past six years that doesn't exist anymore.

We'll be tested now against the Ravens, Pats, & Broncos for the forseable future & we'll see how our team responds.

thunderkyss
01-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Good points, but they've also got on the field leaders like Lewis & Reed. Of course those guys aren't afraid of the Patriots, they've got their own star power, especially when you include guys like Ngata, Suggs, & Webb.

We've got Antonio Smiff.

thunderkyss
01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Two things that John Harbaugh did that pushed this team to the wins:

-fired Cam Caeron with three games left in the season andessentially turned over the keys to offensive car to Joe Flacco and let him loose....

& he didn't care about homefield advantage. He did what he needed to, to get his team playing Championship type football. I know noone wants to hear about it, but this whining & crying about losing HFA Throughout the play-offs was as big a distraction as the letterman jackets.

Crap the team had to deal with that wasn't important.

thunderkyss
01-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Gary needs to go or open up the offense and let Schaub have at it.

I was thinking the same thing, then went back & watched the game, we were in three WR sets a lot & we flexed out TEs out quite a bit as well. He had 4 options or more on just about every play.

What I think Kubiak failed to recognize is that we were able to run when we flexed the TEs out. Anytime they were near the LOS, they had big bodies at the line & clogged up the lanes. Wilfork was not so much a force this time, as Ninkovich, who beat just about anyone he was lined up against, including muscling Brown into the backfield more times than not.

I wish I had recorded the Ravens game, I'd like to see how many times they ran away from Ninkovich as they got a lot more movement on their stretches than we did.

TexanBacker93
01-21-2013, 01:32 PM

35 yo.. smdh

I'm sure all of them would have. First trip to the Super Bowl under them, but they've been to the AFC Championship 3 out of 4 years and you could say outplayed the Patriots last year as well.

I doubt anyone in Baltimore in the last 5 years has looked at Houston wishing they had Kubiak and Schaub.

I can think of only a few cities (Buffalo, Arizona, Jacksonville) that probably would take those 2 over what they have now.

thunderkyss
01-21-2013, 01:33 PM

If you take away our poor defensive performance, there really wasn't much difference between the Ravens offensive performance & ours.

thunderkyss
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Earl, Talib may not be all that, but he's the best the Pats had (just ask any of their fans).

He was effective when be was in the game and he was effective on AJ, too.

He was effective against Aj because Schaub doesn't understand ball placement or getting the ball out on time.

Still Andre had 8 catches for 95 yards. Not really what I'd call effective on Talib's part.

TexanBacker93
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Good points, but they've also got on the field leaders like Lewis & Reed. Of course those guys aren't afraid of the Patriots, they've got their own star power, especially when you include guys like Ngata, Suggs, & Webb.

We've got Antonio Smiff.

I think this is an area where we needed Cushing back. I know, I know :deadhorse, but he wouldn't cower in the face of the Patriots star power. He'd also smack them around a little. You hit Brady and his receivers and they aren't the same.

TexanBacker93
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
the texans are just a bunch of bullies

they're a team that beats up on lesser teams but doesn't know what to do when they get punched in the mouth by a bigger bully.

at first i almost entertained the thought it was all schaub but it's really everyone. the offense. the defense. the coaching staff. everybody.

The players follow their leader. It's the mentality of the Head Coach so it cascades down.

Texcore
01-21-2013, 01:43 PM

35 yo.. smdh

Every Baltimore fan would say that. What the hell are you talking about? In what universe does anyone think Shaub is better than Flacco? Or Kubiak better that Harbaugh?

76Texan
01-21-2013, 01:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing, then went back & watched the game, we were in three WR sets a lot & we flexed out TEs out quite a bit as well. He had 4 options or more on just about every play.

What I think Kubiak failed to recognize is that we were able to run when we flexed the TEs out. Anytime they were near the LOS, they had big bodies at the line & clogged up the lanes. Wilfork was not so much a force this time, as Ninkovich, who beat just about anyone he was lined up against, including muscling Brown into the backfield more times than not.

I wish I had recorded the Ravens game, I'd like to see how many times they ran away from Ninkovich as they got a lot more movement on their stretches than we did.

They did a fairly good job on Ninkovich and Wilfork.
With Alib out, the Pats played a lot of 2-deep (and too deep.)
That helped, too.

Honoring Earl 34
01-21-2013, 01:55 PM
He was effective against Aj because Schaub doesn't understand ball placement or getting the ball out on time.

Still Andre had 8 catches for 95 yards. Not really what I'd call effective on Talib's part.

Yep ... he didn't shutdown AJ , he kept him out of the endzone . The problem is , I can do that . :gamer:

The difference in the Raven game and our game is the Ravens won the second half 21-0 to overcome a 13-7 deficit .

The Texans lost the first half 17-13 , made adjustments and lost the second half 24-15 . They lost the third quarter 14-0 which pretty much salted that baby away .

76Texan
01-21-2013, 02:37 PM

By my count, he gave up 70 of those yards (including a 16-yd catch near the end of the game.). What you should see is the other times when Schaub can't go to AJ because Talib had tight coverage or when he defended the pass.
Or when he helped stopped AJ from scoring the TD near the end zone.
I think a sack and an INT were also the results of his coverage.

In the first game, he limited AJ to 2 catches for 17.
The INT Schaub threw to Walter was also the result of good coverage by Alib on an island.

He didn't bite on a couple of double moves by AJ, forcing Schaub to go elsewhere .

Yes, I do believe that Alib was quite effective on AJ .

handswarmer
01-22-2013, 09:34 AM
How many Balt fans would say that the last couple of years, dumb dumb? Every single one of us

How many playoffs out did it take before they got a trip to the superbowl, dumb dumb? It took the 5th year of existence; first playoff trip

35 yo.. smdh35? What, years?

cbs1507
01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
The only reason why the Texans lost is because we blitzed Tom Brady the whole damn game. I don't know the stats are but I read somewhere that he has the best QB rating against the blitz. His weakness is when you only send 4 and play coverage the whole game (especially if you mix it up and show blitz and then drop back). Well that is how the Ravens played the Patriots on Sunday. We only lost because of game plan NOT because they are a better team. Wade has to make better adjustments point blank. In our game against the Patriots he blitzed the whole game pretty much and got burnt consistently. HOWEVER he did on one possession only send 4 and dropped the rest in coverage and boy did Uncle Tom look frustrated as soon as we did that (we got a 3 and out). But on the next possession he blitzed again and had a LB lined up on a RB out wide with no safety help. That's just retarded.

handswarmer
01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
The only reason why the Texans lost is because we blitzed Tom Brady the whole damn game. I don't know the stats are but I read somewhere that he has the best QB rating against the blitz. His weakness is when you only send 4 and play coverage the whole game (especially if you mix it up and show blitz and then drop back). Well that is how the Ravens played the Patriots on Sunday. We only lost because of game plan NOT because they are a better team. Wade has to make better adjustments point blank. In our game against the Patriots he blitzed the whole game pretty much and got burnt consistently. HOWEVER he did on one possession only send 4 and dropped the rest in coverage and boy did Uncle Tom look frustrated as soon as we did that (we got a 3 and out). But on the next possession he blitzed again and had a LB lined up on a RB out wide with no safety help. That's just retarded.

Pats were the better team vs the Texans

Ravens were the better team vs the Pats

cbs1507
01-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Pats were the better team vs the Texans

Ravens were the better team vs the Pats

Maybe you did didn't watch both games. The Texans went blitz crazy against a QB that is the best in the league against the blitz (AGAIN) and got burnt for it. The Ravens did not go blitz crazy and only sent 4 and played coverage most of the game and at times showing blitz but only sending 4 and playing coverage against a QB that lost 2 SBs against this formula. In fact the Raven did not even get consistent pressure on Tom Brady yet with only sending 4 and playing coverage they were able to keep the Pats offense in check. The Texans had the wrong game plan POINT BLANK.

handswarmer
01-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Maybe you did didn't watch both games. The Texans went blitz crazy against a QB that is the best in the league against the blitz (AGAIN) and got burnt for it. The Ravens did not go blitz crazy and only sent 4 and played coverage most of the game and at times showing blitz but only sending 4 and playing coverage against a QB that lost 2 SBs against this formula. In fact the Raven did not even get consistent pressure on Tom Brady yet with only sending 4 and playing coverage they were able to keep the Pats offense in check. The Texans had the wrong game plan POINT BLANK.

I watch every game- I agree with your assessment BUT:

The gameplan is developed by the coaching staff which is part of your team. They failed therefore they were not better than the Patriots that day. The Ravens succeeded therefore they were better than the Pats that day.

Scooter
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
play after play we ran a man-read run blitz. everyone had an assignment (which got us killed against the hurry), and the assignment was to read their match and then "blitz" if their assignment stayed in to block. this has been our defense most of the season, and is quite possibly the most cautious scheme devised. we blitzed at least 5 on almost every play ... after the offense had declared it's targets.

our OLB's were horrid, but i cant blame them too much, because most of the time they (especially barwin) had HB duty. the problem, as i've repeated, lies in the middle. if barwin and reed are your best athletes in coverage - who's rushing the passer? this problem is compounded by the lack of help at linebacker once cushing went down. we dont have a linebacker who can cover, so common sense says bring a safety or two in the box. now you have to put forth that crappy run blitz with your DB's or else surrender to run games. we were screwed the moment cushing went down, because there arent 2 players combined who can do his job.

Tailgate
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM

I think the Ravens fans will agree that even though Ray Lewis is not exactly playing at a high level... having him back in there brings a TON of leadership and experience in handling that Pats offense.

Having no Cushing was a HUGE blow to our effeciency and ability to mix disguise xoverage/blitz packages. Our D looks entirely different with Cushing on the field and the Pats are a terrible matchup for any team having to start James and Ruud as your ILBs.

Mr teX
01-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Wade's schemes live and die by the blitz & it's highly probable that if we don't blitz, we get the ball run down our throat; This is b'c our d-line doesn't have that traditional 3-4 Gilbert Brown-esque plug in the middle This is pretty much what the Colts and Vikes did to us in stretches and the Pats did at times with Ridley in the playoffs.

If you watched us all year, our run stopping ability primarily consisted of Watt defeating his guy fast and damn near laying out to get the guy at the LOS (b/c they were running away from him) or blowing the play up enough to where the others could react to minimize the gain...rare if ever it was anyone else doing that.

Having worthless Lb's was only exposed when teams spread us out and put those guys in coverage and Watt's impact was minimized.

thunderkyss
01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Having worthless Lb's was only exposed when teams spread us out and put those guys in coverage and Watt's impact was minimized.

It wasn't just the LBs. Playing man, they criss crossed & stacked their receivers & we didn't handle any of those situations well. Well, we didn't handle many of them well. They had separation right off the line, because of those simple crossing patterns.

ObsiWan
01-22-2013, 01:46 PM

Maybe the bigger issue isn't Schaub not being elite, but why can't our defense stop elite QBs?!?

The black bolded is your answer Ladies and Gents (Repped, by the way...)

Remember the last time Brady made it to the Super Bowl and Plaxico said the final score would be 23-17 Giants. And Brady all but laughed out loud at the thought that his offense could be held to just 17 points..? Well the final score was 17-14 Giants. Just one additional example of a quality defense shutting down a so-called, "elite QB" and a high powered offense (weren't the Pats the highest scoring team in league history that year?? AND undefeated??).

You guys can wish for an "Elite QB" all you want; give me another J.J.Watt and a Patrick Willis or NaVarro Bowman clone in the middle to go with a healthy Cushing. ...maybe throw in a quicker, stronger NT to rotate with Earl Mitchell too... And I'll take my chances against the "elite QBs"

handswarmer
01-22-2013, 02:18 PM
I think the Ravens fans will agree that even though Ray Lewis is not exactly playing at a high level... having him back in there brings a TON of leadership and experience in handling that Pats offense.

Having no Cushing was a HUGE blow to our effeciency and ability to mix disguise xoverage/blitz packages. Our D looks entirely different with Cushing on the field and the Pats are a terrible matchup for any team having to start James and Ruud as your ILBs.

Ray at 37 isn't the same as Ray at 27- we all know that. he gets lost in coverage some times- he gets blown up by an athletic guard on the second level

But you exactly correct that his leadership is a very valuable tool.

Scooter
01-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Ray at 37 isn't the same as Ray at 27- we all know that. he gets lost in coverage some times- he gets blown up by an athletic guard on the second level

But you exactly correct that his leadership is a very valuable tool.

ray at 37 isnt ray at 27 ... but ray at 37 is still a heck of a lot better than most 27 year old starters. just last year his stats were near DMVP worthy and his game tape reflected it. maybe running on fumes, but the motor's still going. hopefully he has one more big time performance left in him.

handswarmer
01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
ray at 37 isnt ray at 27 ... but ray at 37 is still a heck of a lot better than most 27 year old starters. just last year his stats were near DMVP worthy and his game tape reflected it. maybe running on fumes, but the motor's still going. hopefully he has one more big time performance left in him.

He's in the top 12 of MLB's at 37- but no longer the best. Glad he can ride off into th Sunset like this....

leebigeztx
01-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Wade's schemes live and die by the blitz & it's highly probable that if we don't blitz, we get the ball run down our throat; This is b'c our d-line doesn't have that traditional 3-4 Gilbert Brown-esque plug in the middle This is pretty much what the Colts and Vikes did to us in stretches and the Pats did at times with Ridley in the playoffs.

If you watched us all year, our run stopping ability primarily consisted of Watt defeating his guy fast and damn near laying out to get the guy at the LOS (b/c they were running away from him) or blowing the play up enough to where the others could react to minimize the gain...rare if ever it was anyone else doing that.

I'm glad someone brought this up. Since wade doesn't have that williams or ted washington type of nt,he run blitz a lot to fill the hole. Cody nor mitchell is stout enough to push the pocket or force double teams inside. So wade slant the front and basically create a 1 gap defense like the old bucs. If he had that dude, he wouldn't slant the front and would allow the front 3 to stay standard more. That's why I think john jenkins or georgia and chase thomas in the 2nd and 3rd rd would be golden.

Jenkins is the big,stout nt who actually has good movement and has a power strike against guards and centers. Chase thomas from stanford is similar to cushing. He's probably not as atheltic,but he's super smart,plays hard,and was a pass rusher. Put him inside as the force player next to cushing and now the inside triangle of jenkins-thomas-cushing is hard to penetrate. It also gives wade more blitz options.

handswarmer
01-23-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm glad someone brought this up. Since wade doesn't have that williams or ted washington type of nt,he run blitz a lot to fill the hole. Cody nor mitchell is stout enough to push the pocket or force double teams inside. So wade slant the front and basically create a 1 gap defense like the old bucs. If he had that dude, he wouldn't slant the front and would allow the front 3 to stay standard more. That's why I think john jenkins or georgia and chase thomas in the 2nd and 3rd rd would be golden.

Jenkins is the big,stout nt who actually has good movement and has a power strike against guards and centers. Chase thomas from stanford is similar to cushing. He's probably not as atheltic,but he's super smart,plays hard,and was a pass rusher. Put him inside as the force player next to cushing and now the inside triangle of jenkins-thomas-cushing is hard to penetrate. It also gives wade more blitz options.

T difference betweeen the Ravens and the Texans defense playing the Patriots was that the Ravens front 7 stayed with their gaps- the Texans shot up field alot because they were too aggressive.

HoustonRaven
01-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Long time lurker since last season and Ravens fan in Houston ....

Personally, I did not want to see the Texans in the playoffs. Too many mismatches between our offense and your defense. I much preferred to face NE. Flacco in particular matches up very well with that defense.

The Texans remind me of the Ravens in many ways and I think y'all are on yuor way to greatness.

IMHO, I do think Kubiac holds you back. I also think Schaub is not the answer for you guys at QB. Fix those two things, and y'all will be perennial contenders.

And as far as fan bases go, you guys are top notch. I've been to three games now at Reliant and felt welcome every time. Nothing but class from you fine folks!

dream_team
01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Long time lurker since last season and Ravens fan in Houston ....

Personally, I did not want to see the Texans in the playoffs. Too many mismatches between our offense and your defense. I much preferred to face NE. Flacco in particular matches up very well with that defense.

The Texans remind me of the Ravens in many ways and I think y'all are on yuor way to greatness.

IMHO, I do think Kubiac holds you back. I also think Schaub is not the answer for you guys at QB. Fix those two things, and y'all will be perennial contenders.

And as far as fan bases go, you guys are top notch. I've been to three games now at Reliant and felt welcome every time. Nothing but class from you fine folks!

Problem is coach & QB are the two toughest positions to replace.