PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead

The Pencil Neck
01-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Every year, people are looking at the schedule and saying whether it's an easy or a hard schedule. Welp. We're playing a first place schedule now so they're going to be harder. But...

This season, unless I'm mistaken, we're playing the NFC West, the AFC West, and the AFC 1st place teams.

That means Patriots and Ravens again during the regular season. AND we play the:

Niners, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Rams
Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, and Chiefs

What do you guys think about next year's opponents at this point?

Tailgate
01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Every year, people are looking at the schedule and saying whether it's an easy or a hard schedule. Welp. We're playing a first place schedule now so they're going to be harder. But...

This season, unless I'm mistaken, we're playing the NFC West, the AFC West, and the AFC 1st place teams.

That means Patriots and Ravens again during the regular season. AND we play the:

I think its a pretty much break even from the 2012 schedule. Same division winners and the two new divisons we play this year are pretty much on par with the last two. I like our home game set up better though. But what we saw this year is about what we can expect next year all things considering.

Playoffs
01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Definitely tougher, imo.

El Tejano
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I think we can still have a 10 win season.

thunderkyss
01-17-2013, 01:17 PM

If we get New England early in the season, we might have a chance to get that win. So let's see

Patriots
Ravens
Niners
Seahawks
Cardinals
Rams
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Chiefs

Titans
Colts
Jags
Titans
Colts
Jags

I think we sweep the whole division in 2013.

13-3

thunderkyss
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Not unless Bruce Arians goes to another team, if he stays we wont sweep Indy.

Ok.... whatever.

silentassassin
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM

This was the case for the 2012-13 season as well.

Edit: I should add to my point.

I'm just implying that we've seen how they've responded to a 1st place schedule. The focus/concern should be with them closing down the stretch, and their performance in the playoffs next season(If they're able to get back).

buddyboy
01-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah ... whatever.

If Arians stays I think we will have a hell of a time even winning the division, knowing that Gary is going all in with Matt. Look at what he did with Luck as rookie QB. You really think they wont make drastic steps forward in the second year of the same system with that kid at QB? Like I said ... yeah, whatever.

At least now you're backing it up with opinion. Before it was, "you're wrong, I'm right".

But...whatever.

Surreal McCoy
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
At least now you're backing it up with opinion. Before it was, "you're wrong, I'm right".

But...whatever.

Not true. He puts his opinions out there. See below :thinking:

Vinny
01-17-2013, 03:36 PM
We just have to get the NFC West while their good...nice

JCTexan
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah ... whatever.

If Arians stays I think we will have a hell of a time even winning the division, knowing that Gary is going all in with Matt. Look at what he did with Luck as rookie QB. You really think they wont make drastic steps forward in the second year of the same system with that kid at QB? Like I said ... yeah, whatever.

The Colts will have a tougher schedule and won't be taking anyone by surprise. They had eleven wins this year and I think they will end up with nine or ten wins next year. Their team might take a drastic step forward but I don't think it's going to be in the amount of wins they have.

76Texan
01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Depending on how FA and the draft pan out, but I'm seeing 9-7, 10-6 at the moment.

JCTexan
01-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Patriots
Ravens
Niners
Seahawks
Cardinals
Rams
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Chiefs

Titans
Colts
Jags
Titans
Colts
Jags

12-4

76Texan
01-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Patriots
Ravens
Niners
Seahawks
Cardinals
Rams
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Chiefs

Titans
Colts
Jags
Titans
Colts
Jags

12-4Looks like a Pro-Bowl year for Schaub :)

You should be voted for President of the Sunshine Club, or at least a high ranking official.

Dutchrudder
01-17-2013, 03:56 PM
2012 opponents:
AFC East: Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Bills
NFC North: Packers, Bears, Vikings, Lions

2013 opponents:
NFC West: Niners, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Rams
AFC West: Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, and Chiefs

Given the changes to these teams, like the Seahawks DC leaving for the Jags, and the Chargers, Chiefs cleaning house, I think the 2013 schedule is slightly easier. Just like last year, there are three tough games in 2013, 49ers, Seahawks and Broncos, but the rest of the teams are mediocre at best. I think the mid-level teams in 2012 were much harder than what I expect in 2013.

Overall though, I think our division will be slightly stronger in 2013 than 2012. The Jags are getting a real head coach, and will probably get a real quarterback too, through the draft or free agency. I imagine they will have a much better defense, but it also might take a year or two to get things back on track.

The Colts have 40 million to spend in free agency and should go on a defensive shopping spree. Their offense was pretty good, but I expect their defense to improve greatly with a new infusion of talent. They might even try to sign some Texans players like Quin or Casey, just to stick it to us.

The Titans will probably be an 7-8 win team without much going for them. I wouldn't expect them to turn it around next year.

JCTexan
01-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Looks like a Pro-Bowl year for Schaub :)

You should be voted for President of the Sunshine Club, or at least a high ranking official.

Really? The Texans didn't lose to a team this year that didn't make the post-season, while going 3-4 against playoff teams. I don't see the Texans taking a drastic step back next year.

Looking realistically to next years schedule: The AFC West looks (outside of Denver) relatively easy. Houston should probably go 3-1 against that division. The NFC West looks tougher than normal but if Houston goes 1-1 against SF/SEA then that's another division Houston should go 3-1 in. Sweeping divisional opponents is never easy but Houston should take four or five games in the division. Baltimore & New England are two of the toughest games but splitting those games is not out of the realm of possibility since they did it this year.

An 11-5 or 12-4 outcome is what I predict for next year.

76Texan
01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Really? The Texans didn't lose to a team this year that didn't make the post-season, while going 3-4 against playoff teams. I don't see the Texans taking a drastic step back next year.

Looking realistically to next years schedule: The AFC West looks (outside of Denver) relatively easy. Houston should probably go 3-1 against that division. The NFC West looks tougher than normal but if Houston goes 1-1 against SF/SEA then that's another division Houston should go 3-1 in. Sweeping divisional opponents is never easy but Houston should take four or five games in the division. Baltimore & New England are two of the toughest games but splitting those games is not out of the realm of possibility since they did it this year.

An 11-5 or 12-4 outcome is what I predict for next year.
Hey anything is possible if we stay healthy mostly and especially at all the important positions. But we really don't know what we're going to get with Cushing.

Can he play at the same level as before?

Luv_ya_blue
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
HOME:
Indianapolis - W
Jacksonville -W
Tennessee - W
Denver - L (But could go either way)
Oakland - W
St. Louis - W
Seattle - L
New England - L

AWAY:
Indianapolis - L
Jacksonville - W
Tennessee - W
Kansas City - W
San Diego - W
Arizona - W
San Francisco - L
Baltimore - L

As much as it pains me to say:
10-6 if we're healthy
9-7 if we lose key players

silentassassin
01-17-2013, 10:07 PM
We just have to get the NFC West while their good...nice

Don't forget! A bad NFC West helped them to 9 wins a while back. :splits:

Only loss came at Arizona on a game put away by a pick 6 and a goal line stand by the Cardinals if I remember correctly.

Norg
01-18-2013, 04:06 AM
the jags will make the playoffs this year ...!!!!!!!!!!! Naaa j/k LOL i wouldnt be surprised if they did tho pooorr titans they might have colts and jags surpass them when in reality they should be #2

thunderkyss
05-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Here's another take (http://www.footballnation.com/content/houston-texans-2013-schedule-predicting-the-wins-and-losses/22304/).

13-3 only losing to the 49ers, Jags, & Colts

The Texans will complete its best season ever with a 13-3 record, convincingly winning the AFC South. If the Texans play in the wild card round (even with its record), it will pick up another playoff win. Only time will tell if Houston will finally win in the Divisional round of the playoffs.

If the Texans happen to advance to the AFC Championship, The Patriots will prevail in that game, avenging the Week 13 loss in Reliant Stadium.

I also like their nickname for our defense.

The Texans and its ‘Thundering Herd’ defense

DocBar
05-17-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking 10-6 or 11-5.I'm really looking forward to the SD and Cards games. I'll be going to both!!! I'm working in El Centro, Ca right now and it's an easy drive to both stadiums.:chickendance:

eriadoc
05-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Patriots are still the Patriots. We have a chance against them, but it's a 50/50 proposition, IMO. I'll have to wait and see how the Ravens turn out with the departure of so many familiar faces and the influx of new talent.

NFC West - The 49ers are a better team. If I were a Seahawks fan, I'd feel pretty good about the chances of a win. Cards and Rams are worse teams, but they won't be as bad as people think.

AFC West - Broncos and Texans are just about even, IMO. Chargers aren't quite as good. Raiders and Chiefs have some talent, but they're still putting it together.

2013 will be all about the Texans. I could see the Pats and Niners games being like the Pats and Packers games from last year. If they can get their stuff together and keep it together, they have a very good team. But they have a couple very key weaknesses that just are not going away. So can they overcome them?

Big Lou
05-17-2013, 05:03 PM
If we get New England early in the season, we might have a chance to get that win. So let's see

Patriots
Ravens
Niners
Seahawks
Cardinals
Rams
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Chiefs

Titans
Colts
Jags
Titans
Colts
Jags

I think we sweep the whole division in 2013.

13-3

I don't see us being able to beat Indy at thier house. The NFL doesn't allow us to win in Indy......

thunderkyss
05-17-2013, 05:29 PM
I don't see us being able to beat Indy at thier house. The NFL doesn't allow us to win in Indy......

Hopefully this is the year we start taking what we want.

kingtexan
05-17-2013, 05:49 PM
We are in a division with teams that made significant moves to try and improve. Hopefully we will be healthy when the season starts, and some of our rookies will be able to come in and contribute right away. Even if that is the case, I believe it will be a tougher division than it was last year. It should be the Texans or Colts for the division, with our overall record between 10-6 and 12-4 depending IMHO on the QB situation and health of the team.

thunderkyss
05-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Here's another take (http://www.footballnation.com/content/houston-texans-2013-schedule-predicting-the-wins-and-losses/22304/).

They also have the Colts & the Titans going 10-6

Including a Titan victory over the 9ers.

ObsiWan
05-17-2013, 06:32 PM

I like this nickname myself....

Week 16 vs DEN – The Bayou Bulls tune up for a playoff run by beating QB Payton Manning and the efficient Broncos’ offense. Despite a stalwart effort by Manning and WR Wes Welker, the Broncos come up short. Texans 20-17.

TejasTom
05-17-2013, 07:10 PM
We are in a division with teams that made significant moves to try and improve...

Yep, Titans got Kevin Walter. We're doomed.

tru80texan
05-17-2013, 09:26 PM

Hopefully this is the year we start taking what we want.

Sounds good, but I thought we would take it when they had Orlovsky & then a rookie starting at QB the last 2 seasons. Didn't quite work out & I'm not sure the situation has exactly shaped up to be any easier of a task for this upcoming season.

HJam72
05-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Not saying that any of the playoff caliber teams are afraid of us; but, if we stay healthy, we could beat anybody. The Patriots, for instance, made us look bad, but they'd have to worry about playing the same team with a healthy Cushing and Reed on the field. Scared, no, but worried. At the same time, we could have those guys healthy and Watt out for some reason, or our dependable LT...

I think we've got a roster than can and WILL beat anybody, if they win that pesky game of attrition. Doesn't mean Schaub is Manning or Brady, but he's good enough (although I wasn't real happy with his performance late last year) and has the talent around him.

texanhead08
05-18-2013, 01:07 PM
On paper it should be 11-5 , but seeing how we usually blow 2 games we have no business losing I expect 9-7. I think all these free agent losses are finally going to catch up to us.

Vance87
05-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Last year I predicted 11-5, and even with our meltdown at the end we went 12-4. So I'm guessing around 11-5 again, just because our schedule is tougher and we aren't sneaking up on anyone.

thunderkyss
05-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Last year I predicted 11-5, and even with our meltdown at the end we went 12-4. So I'm guessing around 11-5 again, just because our schedule is tougher and we aren't sneaking up on anyone.

How is our schedule tougher?

Baltimore, SF, NE, Denver..... eh...

Technically, the schedule is easier than last year.

I understand people are looking at Seattle as if they are a good team. But we don't know that. They had a good season last year, but just as likely to struggle next year. They haven't shown the ability to put back to back seasons together in quite some time.

KC, StLouis, they might be alright, but what are the odds?

tru80texan
05-18-2013, 02:06 PM

I understand people are looking at Seattle as if they are a good team. But we don't know that. They had a good season last year, but just as likely to struggle next year. They haven't shown the ability to put back to back seasons together in quite some time.

I think you are shortchanging Seattle quite a bit. They have bolstered their defense & offense this offseason & that was after they made a very decent playoff run. Their defense is underrated by most & their offense added Harvin. Wilson is very mobile & the Texans have had their fair share of struggles w/ mobile qb's. I realize names don't make a team a winner, but Carroll has turned this team around quickly & they very much seem to be on the rise. I think they are a team to be reckoned with & overlooking them could be a mistake IMO. Seattle w/out a doubt in my mind makes our schedule a bit tougher.

infantrycak
05-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Learn the rules. Going into each season the next schedule is always tougher. Coming out of a season the last schedule was always easy.

ChampionTexan
05-18-2013, 02:30 PM
learn the rules. Going into each season the next schedule is always tougher. Coming out of a season the last schedule was always easy (and will likely never be easier, so we blew the best chance we'll ever have).

fify

Vance87
05-18-2013, 02:49 PM

I don't know what you mean by 'technically'.

All I know is we are playing the two most competitive divisions in each conference this year.

ChampionTexan
05-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't know what you mean by 'technically'.

All I know is we are playing the two most competitive divisions in each conference this year.

I can't speak for TK, but if you look at the Texans 2013 opponents cumulative record in 2012, you'll see it's 120-132-2 which puts it at the 27th hardest in the NFL.
LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22097503/nfl-strength-of-schedule-panthers-face-tough-test-or-do-they)

Compare that to our opponents cumulative record of 127-129 for the season just ended (which puts it at 21st most difficult in the league), and you can say the 2012 schedule was more difficult than 2013 looks to be.
LINK (http://nfltraderumors.co/2012-nfl-strength-of-schedule/)

Now I'm certain that you can come up with all sorts of reasons why this isn't correct, and is misleading - and you may be right - but keep in mind he did say "technically", and this might just be what he meant.

Vance87
05-18-2013, 03:34 PM
SOS for last season means almost nothing.

The combined SOS for the Vikings and Colts going to 2012 was 5-27. We all thought we'd breeze by Minn and most of us thought we'd sweep Indy. Both teams were playoff teams in 2012, had a combined record of 21-9 and both teams beat us quite handily.

Actually I just remembered I found our 2012 SOS based on that year's W-L rather than the previous, and we had the toughest schedule in the AFC.

So yes, here's hoping our sched is easier...I'm a glass half empty guy though. :)

thunderkyss
05-18-2013, 08:04 PM
I think you are shortchanging Seattle quite a bit.

How am I shortchanging Seattle? All I said, was when was the last time they had back to back success?

When was the last time Pete Caroll had back to back success in the NFL?

I'm not saying & did not say that Seattle is crap. I said we don't know. They looked good last year. Carolina looked good two years ago. Not so good in 2012.

Vance87
05-18-2013, 11:04 PM
How am I shortchanging Seattle? All I said, was when was the last time they had back to back success?

When was the last time Pete Caroll had back to back success in the NFL?

I'm not saying & did not say that Seattle is crap. I said we don't know. They looked good last year. Carolina looked good two years ago. Not so good in 2012.

They were 6-10 two years ago. And then 7-9 last year.

thunderkyss
05-19-2013, 12:52 AM
They were 6-10 two years ago. And then 7-9 last year.

:eggonface:

Maybe I should have said Detroit, or Oakland, or Arizona each team showing promise one year, with a dynamic new QB and/or new head coach only to fall back to their norm.

Few teams manage to perform at a high level year in & year out. With two solid years behind us hopefully the Texans will be & continue to be one of the few.

Vance87
05-19-2013, 02:17 AM
:eggonface:

Maybe I should have said Detroit, or Oakland, or Arizona each team showing promise one year, with a dynamic new QB and/or new head coach only to fall back to their norm.

Few teams manage to perform at a high level year in & year out. With two solid years behind us hopefully the Texans will be & continue to be one of the few.

Oakland hasn't had a winning record since 2002...;)

The thing about Seattle is, you have to look at the whole team. With Detroit, Stafford threw for over 5K in 2011, but their defense was bad. In 2012, again their defense was bad and solely relied on passing, much like they did in 2011. Well, it wasn't gonna work two years in a row, Stafford isn't that good. So they fell back quite a ways, mainly due to that, although they lost a number of very close games.

But Seattle has had a good defense since 2010, just no QB. In 2011 they went 8-8 with freakin' Tavaris Jackson. All they needed was a quarterback and they got one in Wilson and they went 11-5. Wilson is for real, so as long as they maintain the D, they'll post good records.

And just the opposite can happen, take the Jets. Fantastic D, great running game got them to the AFCCG two years in a row, with a subpar QB. Both of those went away in 2011, they went 8-8, and then in 2012 (deteriorated further) and they bottomed out at 6-10.

The Chiefs can be referenced, too. They have a good team there, but Cassel was just bad. 2010 went 10-6 with great D and running game, and a gutsy coach. 2011 QB play diminished, D suffered, went 6-10. Further into the QB abyss in 2012, along with injuries, and they go 2-14. The patterns are all there.