PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow - Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend is a HOAX

Stemp
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, the stories said, played this season under a terrible burden. A Mormon linebacker who led his Catholic school's football program back to glory, Te'o was whipsawed between personal tragedies along the way. In the span of six hours in September, as Sports Illustrated told it, Te'o learned first of the death of his grandmother, Annette Santiago, and then of the death of his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua.

Kekua, 22 years old, had been in a serious car accident in California, and then had been diagnosed with leukemia. SI's Pete Thamel described how Te'o would phone her in her hospital room and stay on the line with her as he slept through the night. "Her relatives told him that at her lowest points, as she fought to emerge from a coma, her breathing rate would increase at the sound of his voice," Thamel wrote.

Upon receiving the news of the two deaths, Te'o went out and led the Fighting Irish to a 20-3 upset of Michigan State, racking up 12 tackles. It was heartbreaking and inspirational. Te'o would appear on ESPN's College GameDay to talk about the letters Kekua had written him during her illness. He would send a heartfelt letter to the parents of a sick child, discussing his experience with disease and grief. The South Bend Tribune wrote an article describing the young couple's fairytale meeting—she, a Stanford student; he, a Notre Dame star—after a football game outside Palo Alto.

Did you enjoy the uplifiting story, the tale of a man who responded to adversity by becoming one of the top players of the game? If so, stop reading.

Manti Te'o did lose his grandmother this past fall. Annette Santiago died on Sept. 11, 2012, at the age of 72, according to Social Security Administration records in Nexis. But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Nor is there any report of a severe auto accident involving a Lennay Kekua. Background checks turn up nothing. The Stanford registrar's office has no record that a Lennay Kekua ever enrolled. There is no record of her birth in the news. Outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts, there's no online evidence that Lennay Kekua ever existed.

The photographs identified as Kekua—in online tributes and on TV news reports—are pictures from the social-media accounts of a 22-year-old California woman who is not named Lennay Kekua. She is not a Stanford graduate; she has not been in a severe car accident; and she does not have leukemia. And she has never met Manti Te'o.

Read more: http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Simply unbelievable......

TexansBlood
01-16-2013, 03:58 PM
If this is true karma got him, he played like **** and missed so many tackles in the championship game.

Stemp
01-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Notre Dame has released a statement.
"On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators. "

So they knew BEFORE the BCS NC game and it took a Deadspin story before they release a statement??

Dutchrudder
01-16-2013, 04:34 PM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/tzqyP.gif

GlassHalfFull
01-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Crazy stuff. Glad he didn't win the Heisman. I wonder how many of the awards he did win were off of the sympathy vote.

Kaiser Toro
01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
The BCS deserves this story and it's fraudulent Golden Child. I would not be surprised if the alums had a strategic date to release this, such as the day when Obama unveils his proposals for gun control.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Dutchrudder
01-16-2013, 05:00 PM
This is the goddamn funniest thing I have seen in a loooooooooong time! Great source material for jabs.

@michaelhayes: You know what was a good hoax? Ranking Notre Dame #2 in college football and letting them compete in the BCS title game.

Manti Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the National Championship, he was hugging his girlfriend.

@ObliviousNFLRef: Don't worry Manti, Ray Lewis killed a real person and people still love him

Ken Jennings ‏@KenJennings
WHOA. I am no longer the most famous Mormon to invent an always-suspiciously-absent "girlfriend" in college.

Manti Te'o, huge, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Weekend At Bernie's.

From Notre Dame:

"On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators. "

:crazy:

Stemp
01-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Te'o statement

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Ryan
01-16-2013, 05:26 PM
This is the goddamn funniest thing I have seen in a loooooooooong time! Great source material for jabs.

@michaelhayes: You know what was a good hoax? Ranking Notre Dame #2 in college football and letting them compete in the BCS title game.

Manti Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the National Championship, he was hugging his girlfriend.

@ObliviousNFLRef: Don't worry Manti, Ray Lewis killed a real person and people still love him

Ken Jennings ‏@KenJennings
WHOA. I am no longer the most famous Mormon to invent an always-suspiciously-absent "girlfriend" in college.

Manti Te'o, huge, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Weekend At Bernie's.

From Notre Dame:

:crazy:

LMAO MSR.

And of course ESPN is trying to portray him as the victim. B*tch, please.

Vinny
01-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I wonder if the "I didn't know it was a hoax" hoax will get any traction.

Stemp
01-16-2013, 05:30 PM

ESPN is running with it and portraying him as a victim. But most everyone else is seeing through the last bit of BS.

Wolf
01-16-2013, 05:36 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/11/2013/01/manti_te_o__playing_through_tremendous_adversity__ hd_-1.jpg

GlassHalfFull
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
The good news is that Brent Musberger still thinks Manti's girlfriend is fine as hell

:kitten:

Honoring Earl 34
01-16-2013, 05:45 PM

I think he's got Connor Barwin's support if he wants to come clean . :clown:

Vinny
01-16-2013, 05:51 PM
my favorite tweet about this so far>>> These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.

GlassHalfFull
01-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Him knowing the story was about to break probably explains him skipping the senior bowl

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1486548-manti-teo-takes-huge-gamble-by-snubbing-senior-bowl

Participating in the Senior Bowl is a huge asset for players to shoot up the boards and start generating buzz around their names.

It seems like a must-attend event for the linebacker after two consecutive losses—Heisman vote and title game—with the national spotlight brightly on him.

Whatever ends up happening with Te’o in the NFL, he isn’t doing his draft stock any favors by opting out of the Senior Bowl.

gg no re
01-16-2013, 06:05 PM
http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/60/1E92131581F85ED51017398CDD5FDD.jpg

Rey
01-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Crazy stuff. If he didn't Kbps it was a hoax I have to question his sensibilities. I wouldn't call him stupid, but maybe he's a ditto head?

Honoring Earl 34
01-16-2013, 06:40 PM
We had the Throwin Samoan and now the Lyin Hawaiian .

Playoffs
01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Gullible, naive, most likely a virgin. I feel bad for the guy.

Texn4life
01-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Gullible, naive, most likely a virgin. I feel bad for the guy.

From the details given so far I can't say I feel bad for him. He's been lying one way or another. Either he played a part in developing this fictitious character or he lied and overplayed his relationship with her. I doubt one of his friends would go throw such great lengths to create an entire family in addition to creating her to fool him. It's one of the strangest stories I've seen in a while, and I believe we've only heard the tip of the iceberg so far.

HoustonFrog
01-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Best Tweet from a fellow college football player

Jadeveon Clowny ‏@JadeveonClowny

You wanna know what's weirder than Manti Teo making up a girlfriend then pretend killing her? Nothing.

Heath Shuler
01-16-2013, 08:06 PM
https://o.twimg.com/1/proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG 93L2xhcmdlL2J2dHFmZy5qcGcUAhYAEgA&s=QsPl-Smo4bglPNbVnwOsnQ1gsq77Yb-JVyw6U2EogFw

Rey
01-16-2013, 08:09 PM
How does this affect his draft stock?

Maybe not much. Weirdos have done ok in pro sports.

Texn4life
01-16-2013, 08:14 PM

Maybe not much. Weirdos have done ok in pro sports.

I think it depends on how much he had to do with carrying on this lie. If he had a part in this then it says something about his mental stability to me. I think the National Championship performance along with this will drop him some, but I doubt it costs him more than a round or two.

TheIronDuke
01-16-2013, 08:16 PM
So Teo and Notre Dame are BOTH frauds?

HoustonFrog
01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
I think it depends on how much he had to do with carrying on this lie. If he had a part in this then it says something about his mental stability to me. I thin the National Championship performance along with this will drop him some, but I doubt it costs him more than a round or two.

Here is something we do know....he lied. Why we don't know. He told people he met her at Stanford and in Hawaii. That is on the record. If this was online, why lie? What talk of long nights talking from the hospital? Seems to me he got busted after being way in over his head.

Texn4life
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Here is something we do know....he lied. Why we don't know. He told people he met her at Stanford and in Hawaii. That is on the record. If this was online, why lie? What talk of long nights talking from the hospital? Seems to me he got busted after being way in over his head.

Yeah, its the oddest of odd stories. I've heard guys lie about hooking up with girls before, but this is taking it to another level.

TexanSam
01-16-2013, 08:42 PM
He was a Heisman finalist and the best player on the first good Notre Dame football team in years. He could have had dozens of gorgeous women on campus. I have a hard time believing he fell for a hoax. Sounds more like a publicity stunt to me.

Wolf
01-16-2013, 08:52 PM
He did it so that he could drop in he draft to the Texans :kitten:

Stemp
01-16-2013, 09:05 PM
The guy is a devout Mormon so it's highly likely he is a virgin waiting for marriage.

But he's either very gullible and as little self-esteem (they said he had numerous meetings planned where she never showed) or he was in on it. Which is more likely for a star linebacker at Norte dame?

dtran04
01-16-2013, 09:12 PM
If you actually believe his story, it would kinda make sense as to why he sucked during the National Championship game...

Texn4life
01-16-2013, 09:15 PM
If you actually believe his story, it would kinda make sense as to why he sucked during the National Championship game...

And then I would really question his mental toughness. Either way this won't have a good effect on him.

Vinny
01-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Maybe not much. Weirdos have done ok in pro sports. It would probably make you think twice about handing him a first round contract. Its much easier to take a chance on a flake if his contract has 10 million less guaranteed dollars.

He did it so that he could drop in he draft to the Texans :kitten:I think he was already at the bottom of the first round/top of he second round type (like DeMeco Ryans was)

gg no re
01-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Teoing has surpassed the long-reigning Tebowing and the short-lived Kaepernicking as the new football meme of forever.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAxykneCYAA6kFI.jpg

Playoffs
01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
There's more truth out there we haven't gotten, yet.

Texecutioner
01-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Have no idea why this is even a story. Especially that it is the biggest news story all over the sports world.

Texn4life
01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Have no idea why this is even a story. Especially that it is the biggest news story all over the sports world.

Because it was made such a big story around a Heisman candidate when it happened. If it wasn't made such a big deal then and leading up to the National Championship game then it wouldn't be a story today at all.

Dutchrudder
01-16-2013, 09:45 PM
From TXags:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2028103/teo_medium.gif

Gold. Pure gold.

Tigerdroppings:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/RollTideTA/teo.gif

Dan B.
01-16-2013, 09:46 PM

Cuz it lets people whip up gifs like these:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/RollTideTA/teo.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2028103/teo_medium.gif

Texecutioner
01-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Because it was made such a big story around a Heisman candidate when it happened. If it wasn't made such a big deal then and leading up to the National Championship game then it wouldn't be a story today at all.

I still don't give a damn personally. Some college kid on the ND squad made up a story about a GF so the media would flaunt all over him?? It seemed to have worked. I'll actually applaud the guy for trolling the media and bamboozling them. If they went out of their way to promote some guy for certain awards because of some story they tried to push, they're just as guilty as he is. Frankly I'm sick and tired of the media trying to cram some "feel good story" down our throats to help an athlete win something extra that wasn't done on the field. It bothers me to no end when they do that.

The guy is a ********* for lying like this and deceiving people, but I feel that the media is just as much to blame if this is all true. They tried to push this guy's story out there so he could get extra votes, and they didn't "fact check" any of it.

Texn4life
01-16-2013, 10:01 PM
I still don't give a damn personally. Some college kid on the ND squad made up a story about a GF so the media would flaunt all over him?? It seemed to have worked. I'll actually applaud the guy for trolling the media and bamboozling them. If they went out of their way to promote some guy for certain awards because of some story they tried to push, they're just as guilty as he is. Frankly I'm sick and tired of the media trying to cram some "feel good story" down our throats to help an athlete win something extra that wasn't done on the field. It bothers me to no end when they do that.

I can understand that....... There are plenty of kids playing games every day going through tons of personal issues like his were thought to be or worse so I agree with you there.

Texecutioner
01-16-2013, 10:06 PM
I can understand that....... There are plenty of kids playing game every day going through tons of personal issues like his were thought to be or worse so I agree with you there.

And to clarify things, I do like some of the "feel good" stories that the media promotes from time to time. I loved that one on JJ Watt and those kids. I just get irritated when they use it to try and push some athlete's candidacy above others just because they had some tragedy or some type of hardship. These awards are not about the human being. It is supposed to be about their accomplishments and activities on the field.

But yeah, if the media is ticked off, because they went out of their way to sensationalize this, they got what they deserved.

pbat488
01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
dear lord that cuppy gif is freaking incredible!!!

I liked this one as well.

http://i49.tinypic.com/wrywck.jpg

Corrosion
01-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Who

Gives

A

FLuX

BullNation4Life
01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Not surprising, Te'o is not a real MLB, he just plays one on TV....:bubbles:

Vinny
01-16-2013, 10:45 PM
The South Bend Tribune scrubbed the story (http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-10-12/sports/34419536_1_brian-and-ottilia-manti-te-o-irish-head-coach) they published of Teo physically meeting his made up girlfriend....but google cache doesn't scrub so well.

For the first time this season and seventh time in Te'o's career, his parents, Brian and Ottilia, will be in the stands for the game -- along with the youngest of his five siblings, 6-year-old brother Manasseh.

"They're watching you and they're watching someone who they've given everything they have to live his dream," Te'o said earlier this week. "My dream is to help them in their dream, too. So, it's always exciting. It's going to be a special occasion to see them in the stands."

And Manti Te'o is convinced the beautiful stranger will be watching too Saturday, somehow.

Lennay Kekua was a Stanford student and Cardinal football fan when the two exchanged glances, handshakes and phone numbers that fateful weekend three seasons ago.

She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them.

The plan was for Kekua to spend extensive time with the whole Te'o family when upwards of 40 of them came to South Bend in mid-November for ND's Senior Day date with Wake Forest.

"They started out as just friends," Brian Te'o said. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple.

"And we came to the realization that she could be our daughter-in-law. Sadly, it won't happen now."

About the time Kekua and Manti became a couple, she was injured in an auto accident. There were complications during her recovery. And it was also during her recovery that it was discovered Kekua had leukemia.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Gsq3BkqY4-oJ:articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-10-12/sports/34419536_1_brian-and-ottilia-manti-te-o-irish-head-coach+brian-and-ottilia-manti-te&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

Corrosion
01-16-2013, 11:03 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/wrywck.jpg

http://www.stevieray.com/images-a/lenny.jpg

:texflag:

toronto
01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
This story is just frigging hilarious. :kubepalm:

mattieuk
01-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Pretty nuts this whole thing.

You have to think that it is going to severely damage the already questionable draft stock after the Championship Game.

I'm sure that there will be more to this story coming out in the next week or so, as the sports journalists descend on him, his family and friends - so there is time yet for a redeeming factor to come out in his favour, but at the moment I'm struggling to see a scenario where he goes in the first round.

Wolf6151
01-17-2013, 12:15 AM
There's obviously alot more to this story than has been reported already and I would imagine that when all is said and done Te'o draft stock will take a big hit. Some folks on the radio are even speculating that Te'o may be gay and this girlfriend story is a way to cover that up.

mattieuk
01-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Some folks on the radio are even speculating that Te'o may be gay and this girlfriend story is a way to cover that up.

That was the first thing to come to mind for me actually - didn't want to just start throwing out random theories, but that is certainly something I could see being true.

HoustonFrog
01-17-2013, 07:02 AM
The South Bend Tribune scrubbed the story (http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-10-12/sports/34419536_1_brian-and-ottilia-manti-te-o-irish-head-coach) they published of Teo physically meeting his made up girlfriend....but google cache doesn't scrub so well.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Gsq3BkqY4-oJ:articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-10-12/sports/34419536_1_brian-and-ottilia-manti-te-o-irish-head-coach+brian-and-ottilia-manti-te&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

And this whole thing is the rub for me. ND and all of his fans are saying "poor T'eo was duped" and that he was hoaxed. He made up a story about a detailed meeting of his girlfriend....twice. He let papers and media run with the story about how they met and their relationship for the entire season. He also had a "girlfriend" that was in a car accident and had leukemia but not once did he visit her? The whole thing doesn't add up and ND ignoring these things makes them just as pathetic.

Rey
01-17-2013, 07:05 AM

So his parents were lying too?

robroy72
01-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Doesn't everyone who goes to catholic school pay homage to imaginary dead people? :D

BullNation4Life
01-17-2013, 07:52 AM
There's obviously alot more to this story than has been reported already and I would imagine that when all is said and done Te'o draft stock will take a big hit. Some folks on the radio are even speculating that Te'o may be gay and this girlfriend story is a way to cover that up.

This was the first thing that came to my mind, he being gay and this was a cover. The second was he was that he has mental issues.

I would not be surprised in the next few months, that there is a story that in or around 2009, when he supposedly meet this girl, he was confronted about being gay, Te'o denied it and made the story up as a cover, knowing he would not be accepted by his teammates, and left it at that. I even think, to protect Te'o as a football player, his friends and family went along with it...

He wasn't a well know college player at the time so he let the cover keep going, then he blew up, became a media darling and a Heisman candidate, the media got wind of the story, ran with it as a "feel good story", like only the media can, and Te'o could not control what was happening so he went along with it and now the lie has come full circle...

amazing80
01-17-2013, 08:01 AM
ugh. the plot thickens....

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/16/lennay-kekua-manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend-was-real-says-arizona-cardinals-fullback-reagan-mauia-who-claims-to-have-met-her/

Playoffs
01-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Former NFL player says Lennay Kekua 'real,' met her in person (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-16/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-lennay-kekua-reagan-mauia-notre-dame-catfish)

"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was—I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."

Mauia told ESPN that he was introduced to Kekua by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, a close friend of Te'o's. Mauia believes that Tuiasosopo was Kekua's cousin.

TexanSam
01-17-2013, 08:24 AM
I bet this is all some elaborate hoax between Te'o and Lance Armstrong.

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Here's my $.02. Facts to date:

-Te'o never said he actually met her
-Te'o's dad either directly or indirectly said they met at a Stanford game
-the media then reported more and more embellished stories about real life interaction

So having been 'Catfished' myself in college (sigh, sad to admit, several times), I'm starting to wonder if he told the truth. There is (or was) a deep pool of crazy ass women online who lie about who they are because, one can only assume, they enjoy the attention(?).

They make up crazy stories as to why they can't meet, video chat, etc. Lie about things like illness, disease, accidents, dying family members, etc.

Now, if this was months, I get it. Maybe he is just insecure and got duped by a crazy girl lying about who she is.

If this was truly for 3 years, well..... Not sure what I believe then.

The AZ player coming out, well, I thin he is full of it and flat out lying to try to cover for a friend.

AJ-80
01-17-2013, 08:58 AM
He did it so that he could drop in he draft to the Texans :kitten:

If he does fall to us, we should 100% take him.

Unless McNair has a no tolerance policy about fake dead girlfriends.

:corrosion:

Rey
01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Well, Teo said something about being with her "again".

At some point he lied. He either lied to his parents and let them perpetuate the lie, or he lied with his own lips. Maybe both.

Rey
01-17-2013, 09:02 AM
I bet this is all some elaborate hoax between Te'o and Lance Armstrong.

It's crazy how a bunch of things come out around the same time..liestrong, this, "sandy hook conspiracy"...

Honoring Earl 34
01-17-2013, 09:14 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3-4b4qOsThY/UPe8r4ZwhrI/AAAAAAAADSY/61foWM_PSNE/s1600/like_a_champion.jpg

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Well, Teo said something about being with her "again".

At some point he lied. He either lied to his parents and let them perpetuate the lie, or he lied with his own lips. Maybe both.

It sounds like his parents implied and the media inferred. If he believed it was real, why does he care about the details of stories in the media?

(of course, to me a plausible alternate theory is he is gay and this was his cover story)

Stemp
01-17-2013, 09:21 AM

-the media then reported more and more embellished stories about real life interaction

Ok, assuming that Te'o never told the "media" he actually met her in person, we do know he told it to teammates and obviously to his dad (where else would the dad get the story?)

So trying to portray him as an innocent victim is playing ostrich. The stories about how they met and their in person meetings came from him, not anywhere else. It's understandable he lied so people wouldn't know he never met the woman but don't try to pretend like he is completely innocent.

So having been 'Catfished' myself in college (sigh, sad to admit, several times), I'm starting to wonder if he told the truth. There is (or was) a deep pool of crazy ass women online who lie about who they are because, one can only assume, they enjoy the attention(?).

They make up crazy stories as to why they can't meet, video chat, etc. Lie about things like illness, disease, accidents, dying family members, etc.

Now, if this was months, I get it. Maybe he is just insecure and got duped by a crazy girl lying about who she is.

The AZ player coming out, well, I thin he is full of it and flat out lying to try to cover for a friend.

The length of time is what gets me along with him describing how he talked with her for hours every night and falling asleep with her on the phone. If this was strictly online, who was he talking to? And you are telling me a hoaxer will go to the length of having daily hours long heartfelt talks over the phone over a long period of time just to perpetuate a ruse? :smiliepalm:

BullNation4Life
01-17-2013, 09:25 AM

In Bold, in the interview I heard this morning, HE talked about her physical beauty, suggesting he did meet her. Could he be talking about this from possibly a photo?

Man this thing is absolutely nuking futz....I still think this is some sort of cover up for something greater that has yet to be reviled...

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
And you are telling me a hoaxer will go to the length of having daily hours long heartfelt talks over the phone over a long period of time just to perpetuate a ruse? :smiliepalm:

Yes - I say that from personal experience. The lengths these people go to is insane. I can only assume they are living really messed up lives or something.

Again, 3-6 mos I get. 3 years....?? If all that is true, he did get duped, then Te'o has some deep seeded issues and needs a shrink.

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 09:28 AM
In Bold, in the interview I heard this morning, HE talked about her physical beauty, suggesting he did meet her. Could he be talking about this from possibly a photo?

Man this thing is absolutely nuking futz....

I got that from Deadspin on 610 - the Deadspin guy made it very clear that Te'o never actually said he met her. That came from other people and the media ran with it.

I trust him since they did all the research.

HoustonFrog
01-17-2013, 09:30 AM

The story about them meeting at the Stanford game was given by him. The reporters who wrote it...not Deadspin.. were quoted as saying they got the information from he and his family. The part about the looks and touching hands...him. That story was out there for public consumption for a year and he never denied it or corrected it.

I'm not saying he is part of the hoax but it concerns me that the above story was through him and was never corrected and it concerns me that his "love" was in an auto accident and had leukemia and he never once went to see her in a hospital...or tried to. To me that is fishy. He talked about sending white flowers to her funeral yet there was no funeral.

Rey
01-17-2013, 09:31 AM
If he falls to the texans in round 2, do you take him?

BullNation4Life
01-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Ok here is my question, and I hope I do not offend those this has happened to...

At what point in this "relationship" do you not call BS and move on? If a girl I met, over the internet, found every excuse not to meet me, my red flag is going up that either...

A: she isn't who she says she is,

B: she is actually a he or

C: She has some serious issues and I am not sure I want to be apart of that...

It says this was a 3 year relationship, right, and he did or didn't actually meet her? Wouldn't that be a sign of serious emotional instability?

BullNation4Life
01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
I got that from Deadspin on 610 - the Deadspin guy made it very clear that Te'o never actually said he met her. That came from other people and the media ran with it.

I trust him since they did all the research.

No this was Te'o himself talking to Jim Rome in an interview...He talked about not only was she beautiful "physically" but spiritually as well, or something to that effect...

Stemp
01-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Ok here is my question, and I hope I do not offend those this has happened to...

At what point in this "relationship" do you not call BS and move on? If a girl I met, over the internet, found every excuse not to meet me, my red flag is going up that either...

A: she isn't who she says she is,

B: she is actually a he or

C: She has some serious issues and I am not sure I want to be apart of that...

It says this was a 3 year relationship, right, and he did or didn't actually meet her? Wouldn't that be a sign of serious emotional instability?

As far as always failing to meet up in person.....

Fool me once....shame on you.
Fool me twice... shame on me.
Fool me 3+ times.... I'm probably desperate and someone who has low self esteem and want to believe I'm in a relationship even though I know I'm really not.
Fool me numerous times over 3 years.... I am a complete idiot who yet somehow managed to graduate from Notre Dame and successfully play a difficult position in football that requires thinking and instinct that I'm likely to be drafted in the NFL....... or I was a part of it.

BullNation4Life
01-17-2013, 09:49 AM
As far as always failing to meet up in person.....

Fool me once....shame on you.
Fool me twice... shame on me.
Fool me 3+ times.... I'm probably desperate and someone who has low self esteem and want to believe I'm in a relationship even though I know I'm really not.
Fool me numerous times over 3 years.... I am a complete idiot who yet somehow managed to graduate from Notre Dame and successfully play a difficult position in football that requires thinking and instinct that I'm likely to be drafted in the NFL....... or I was a part of it.

I am almost hoping Sheldon pops his head out and shouts...BAZZINGA!

HoustonFrog
01-17-2013, 09:57 AM
The story about them meeting at the Stanford game was given by him. The reporters who wrote it...not Deadspin.. were quoted as saying they got the information from he and his family. The part about the looks and touching hands...him. That story was out there for public consumption for a year and he never denied it or corrected it.

I'm not saying he is part of the hoax but it concerns me that the above story was through him and was never corrected and it concerns me that his "love" was in an auto accident and had leukemia and he never once went to see her in a hospital...or tried to. To me that is fishy. He talked about sending white flowers to her funeral yet there was no funeral.

To correct myself and go with Yankee here this is an update from the authors of the article about the girlfriend and how they met

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend-breaks-the-internet.php

Update: the author of this article has said that Te'o's father was the source for the information about how the couple met. Presumably this information was a lie his son told him.

Would someone cover for him and throw it to his Dad? Either way T'eo lied to his Dad and told him this stuff...all of this stuff\

"Lennay Kekua was a Stanford student and Cardinal football fan when the two exchanged glances, handshakes and phone numbers that fateful weekend three seasons ago.

She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them.

The plan was for Kekua to spend extensive time with the whole Te'o family when upwards of 40 of them came to South Bend in mid-November for ND's Senior Day date with Wake Forest.

'They started out as just friends,' Brian Te'o said. 'Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple. And we came to the realization that she could be our daughter-in-law. Sadly, it won't happen now.'"

disaacks3
01-17-2013, 09:58 AM
The guy is a devout Mormon so it's highly likely he is a virgin waiting for marriage. I wonder which is considered worse in Mormon theology, pre-marital sex or publicly lying for months on end?

Have no idea why this is even a story. Especially that it is the biggest news story all over the sports world. Find a bigger sports story going on right now. This has implication for ND as well as the young man himself. Let's hope it has implications for all the journalists who ran with it blindly.

From the deadspin article Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o. That quote isn't attributed to his Dad, as the next one is. So, exactly how did the SB Trib get the story? Edit: I see Frog's response above. Still looks like Te'o is fibbing to somebody.

Aside - Can I believe he got taken in? Sure. Does that excuse the layer-upon-layer of BS that's emerged since then? Nope. Was it made public before the Heisman voting? How about that bowl game? Neither ND, nor Te'o have a story that answers all the questions yet.

HoustonFrog
01-17-2013, 10:07 AM
I wonder which is considered worse in Mormon theology, pre-marital sex or publicly lying for months on end?

Find a bigger sports story going on right now. This has implication for ND as well as the young man himself. Let's hope it has implications for all the journalists who ran with it blindly.

From the deadspin article That quote isn't attributed to his Dad, as the next one is. So, exactly how did the SB Trib get the story? Edit: I see Frog's response above. Still looks like Te'o is fibbing to somebody.

Aside - Can I believe he got taken in? Sure. Does that excuse the layer-upon-layer of BS that's emerged since then? Nope. Was it made public before the Heisman voting? How about that bowl game? Neither ND, nor Te'o have a story that answers all the questions yet.

This is a really great read on all of these questions..I'll highlight the one I didn't even think about

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend-breaks-the-internet.php

9. What's the motive to fake this relationship?

This is where I get hung up and the question I return to again and again. You're talking about hours and hours of effort to fake a relationship. What's the payoff? To humiliate someone? (And stop with your Catfish emails, I know all about the show). I just don't buy that there's someone who wants to sit on the phone for eight hours long night after night pretending to be near death with cancer so they can eventually say, "Gotcha!"

This is the biggest waste of time ever. Plus, it requires not only a fake girlfriend, but a fake brother. And maybe other fake family members too. What's the point of an entire conspiracy built around convincing Manti Te'o that his online girlfriend is real?

And that's what I can't get past, there just isn't a real motive to fake this relationship. There's no payoff, no pot of gold at the end of the long con.

Watch this video beginning at 2:30 and look at how crazy this is. "She" wrote letters to him before every game?

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 10:07 AM
That story was out there for public consumption for a year and he never denied it or corrected it.

I still believe that it is plausible he was a dupe - he fell in love with 'her' and was too blind to call her BS. If that was the case for 3 years, then the boy needs a shrink. I could also see her not showing up for things so he lied or his family lied to cover.

I had a New Year's Eve date one year in college, online girl I was meeting for the first time. We had talked for months hours at a time, she lived about 6 hours away (in Ohio that's far! lol) - she called day of and made up some excuse about winning bowl game tickets and a limo, etc.

Needless to say, I lied to my friends about everything, it was embarrassing to be so stupid.

My gut is women that do this are unattractive or trash and lie about their appearance and who they are - and they enjoy the hours talking every day because they get to pretend they are someone else.

Now, I'm not saying 100% he got duped, but I submit to you it is very possible and if he did it for 3 years, the boy has some issues that need dealt with.

Oh, and I talked to some of these girls' 'family members.' Not far fetched 'he, I met this guy online friend/brother/whatever, he is starting to stalk me, will you tell him I died?' Cause yeah, I had third party folks tell me one of the online girls I talked to she had missed our meet up because she was in a bad car accident. Just my point - this **** does happen and there are crazy desperate people out there. I think the longest I was duped by a girl was roughly 4 months. What was her end game? Nothing, I guess?

If he truly was duped for 3 years I would not take him in the first round.

Hookem Horns
01-17-2013, 10:18 AM
More Te'oing

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/320948_10151324711483643_1258044952_n.jpg

Rey
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
LoL I just heard on the radio that after one of their games the coach gave the game ball to teo's Gf. Told Teo to take the ball back to Hawaii.

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
If it was a crazy chick lying to him, I wonder at what tangible moment he said 'oh s*&T! I've been had!'

Rey
01-17-2013, 10:29 AM
When I was younger and aol chatrooms were a big deal I used to be in those things all the time.

I would not have fallen for this for 3 damn years. Not even 2 weeks...

Hookem Horns
01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Te'o's favorite song ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIc8krqspIc

Double Barrel
01-17-2013, 10:45 AM

This makes the most logical sense to me in an Occam's razor sort of way.

He's from a Mormon family going to to a Catholic school playing on a football scholarship. Any one of those three frown on homosexuality, but all three? Great incentive to make up a g/f in order to deflect any curiosity about his sexuality. Make her in another state so it explains why she is never around, but gives him a perfect excuse why he's not taking advantage of all the easy girls that give themselves to football players.

So he's either gay, or a pathological liar, or a gullible dupe. The first makes the most sense given everything he has said to the press over the years. But this would be the last thing he would ever admit because of the pro career ahead of him.

Hookem Horns
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
This makes the most logical sense to me in an Occam's razor sort of way.

He's from a Mormon family going to to a Catholic school playing on a football scholarship. Any one of those three frown on homosexuality, but all three? Great incentive to make up a g/f in order to deflect any curiosity about his sexuality. Make her in another state so it explains why she is never around, but gives him a perfect excuse why he's not taking advantage of all the easy girls that give themselves to football players.

So he's either gay, or a pathological liar, or a gullible dupe. The first makes the most sense given everything he has said to the press over the years. But this would be the last thing he would ever admit because of the pro career ahead of him.

The gay theory is actually starting to get some traction around the internet. Just google "manti teo gay".

Plus he chose to go to ND.

Playoffs
01-17-2013, 11:00 AM
The story going around is this was a sympathy ploy created by Te'os friend Ronaiah Tuiasosopo -- to garner media attention for Manti.

Which means Manti went along with it.

That Tuiasosopo initially "conjured" the girl in 2009 and duped at least one other guy with an online romance.

Only problem is, this Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is also a pastor at a church in Palmdale, California. (?)(!)

Even worse, former Arizona Cardinal Reagan Mauia says he actually met the girl Kekeo -- which means this Pastor Ronaiah Tuiasosopo took this as far as to have someone agree to pose as "her".

Which would make Pastor Tuiasosopo one sick bastage.

fiasco west
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
So...if the guy is there at 27 thanks to all of this do you take him?

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 11:26 AM
So...if the guy is there at 27 thanks to all of this do you take him?

I already said no.

If he was duped, well, then he has emotional issues and is unstable.

If he lied then heck no.

If he is gay, well, will an NFL locker room accept that?

fiasco west
01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
I already said no.

If he was duped, well, then he has emotional issues and is unstable.

If he lied then heck no.

If he is gay, well, will an NFL locker room accept that?

Personally I think he lied about it. Just doesn't add up.

I'd take a shot at him though, especially since he's a top prospect and would fill a need. I don't think we'd need him to be a leader, we just need talented LBs.

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Personally I think he lied about it. Just doesn't add up.

I'd take a shot at him though, especially since he's a top prospect and would fill a need. I don't think we'd need him to be a leader, we just need talented LBs.

If he lied risk/reward - he could fall in our lap but he could also burn out and stink or never play.

toronto
01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
More Te'oing

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/320948_10151324711483643_1258044952_n.jpg

Can someone send me this pic link?

toronto
01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
He had to be in on it in an attempt to win the Heisman.

That being said I hope his draft stock plummets.

That is a guarantee. Every GM will quiz him about this and come away thinking he's not even worth a 5th round pick. He will never hear the end of it in the locker room and become a massive distraction. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole now if I'm a GM.

Vinny
01-17-2013, 01:30 PM
If he lied risk/reward - he could fall in our lap but he could also burn out and stink or never play.
hell, he's already passed on the Sr Bowl. Dude's career is supposed to be playing football after College and he's passing the Sr Bowl. Another red flag to me. Perhaps he can be the Rocket's Royce White bookend we need for sports talk radio?

Doppelganger
01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
One thing that I am having difficulty with is this:

Te’o was aware that she had cancer. It was not a situation where he found out she had cancer and then she died. So there was a certain period where she had cancer and he was aware. If this person was really the love of his life, why would he not at least visited her once in the hospital? I know if someone I cared about was in the hospital, I would visit them. If the love of my life was diagnosed with Leukemia, you can bet your life savings I would have visited her at least once. Hard to wrap my mind around that one.

Doppelganger
01-17-2013, 01:52 PM
hell, he's already passed on the Sr Bowl. Dude's career is supposed to be playing football after College and he's passing the Sr Bowl. Another red flag to me. Perhaps he can be the Rocket's Royce White bookend we need for sports talk radio?

He should drop, but not just because of this... it was his play in the NCG. He was badly exposed during the Bama game. He feasted on poor offenses during the regular season. In the championship game when he finally faced a legit offense, he faltered badly. In the NFL, just about every team he would face would have as good or a better offense than Alabama.

Ghostform
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7361/baxwo8ccaaazlavjpglarge.jpg

Vinny
01-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Te’o was aware that she had cancer. It was not a situation where he found out she had cancer and then she died. So there was a certain period where she had cancer and he was aware. If this person was really the love of his life, why would he not at least visited her once in the hospital? I know if someone I cared about was in the hospital, I would visit them. If the love of my life was diagnosed with Leukemia, you can bet your life savings I would have visited her at least once. Hard to wrap my mind around that one. yeah, his story doesn't hold water. It's just not believable. I think he is naive all right, naive enough to think he can make bold faced lies in that kind of spotlight. Dude got a lot of love for this a few months ago so I don't feel bad for him now. He deserves all the shame he is getting.

He should drop, but not just because of this... it was his play in the NCG. He was badly exposed during the Bama game. He feasted on poor offenses during the regular season. In the championship game when he finally faced a legit offense, he faltered badly. In the NFL, just about every team he would face would have as good or a better offense than Alabama. I've watched him play a few times and I don't think he can play in man coverage at the next level. He's had some picks but they were all in zone. I think DeMeco was a better prospect coming out of Bama.

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7361/baxwo8ccaaazlavjpglarge.jpg

^^^ That.

Common answer from crazy online hoes as to why you can't see them after an accident/illness:
(1) this hopsital only allows family members
(2) I'm recovering at a family member's out of state
(3) I don't want you to see me like this

When you try to push, they get mad, and say things like "I'm sick/injured, why are you being so pushy?" and then turn it on you and why you're being a jerk, start a fight, and eventually guilt you into getting off the phone.

Again, not saying I know the truth, just saying it is entirely possible he is telling the truth.

*note* in my defense, during my online dating days Facebook didn't exist and MySpace was just being born, so it was uncommon for someone to have 50 family photos of someone they aren't, nah, no defense, I was a co-dependent dumbass, but hey, we all have our days of being lame

Stemp
01-17-2013, 02:16 PM

He passed on the Sr Bowl because they were going to release this storyt next week. Too bad someone decided to break the story first.

Dutchrudder
01-17-2013, 02:16 PM
I love Asia, they always make crazy awesome stuff, like this animated newscast:

http://youtu.be/cWmpGhIZJWw

Texn4life
01-17-2013, 02:25 PM
If Manti was truly duped for 3 years then I'm sure he still believes the Easter Bunny and Santa are real too!

Vinny
01-17-2013, 02:27 PM

those animated artist renderings are strange and amusing....they have him buttchugging with leprechauns. What's better than that?

Playoffs
01-17-2013, 02:31 PM

That is now my go to news channel for everything!

Honoring Earl 34
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
I had that happen back in the day by letter . I finally met her and this is what she looked like when I saw her .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

toronto
01-17-2013, 02:57 PM

God I love the Taiwan videos. They did a classic on NHL head shots that left me crying.

Playoffs
01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Woman on TMZ(audio) says Manti was duped...Pastor Ronaiah "Ronny" Tuiasosopo is at the core of this scam -- Manti's "friend".

Manti Te'o told Notre Dame officials he NEVER met his supposed girlfriend in person ... and only realized her death was a hoax last month ... after receiving a phone call from "Lennay's" cell phone.

Jack Swarbrick -- Director of Athletics at Notre Dame -- called an emergency media conference Wednesday night in the wake of the not-really-dead girlfriend scandal. Here are the highlights:

-- Manti is expected to address the media sometime tomorrow (Thursday).
-- Manti called Notre Dame officials on Dec. 26 ... and alerted them to the hoax.
-- According to Swarbrick, Manti realized Lennay Kekua wasn't dead when he got a phone call from her cell phone at an ESPN award show in December ... months after her supposed death.
-- Manti claims the woman who called from "Lennay's" phone was the same person who he had spoken with during his relationship with Lennay.
-- Manti says the woman informed him that Lennay was not dead ... because she was not real.
-- Swarbrick says Manti met with a media team, who had planned to release the story to the media next week ... but they were scooped by Deadspin.
-- Manti told ND officials he had gone to Hawaii to meet Lennay in person on several occasions, but she never showed up.
-- ND believes that Manti was targeted because he's too nice of a guy ... and the perps took pleasure in humiliating him.

Swarbrick also said, "This was a very elaborate, very sophisticated hoax perpetrated for reasons we can't fully understand but had a certain cruelty at its core."

Swarbrick says investigators believe there are numerous people involved in the hoax.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/page/2/#ixzz2IGszKZrP

Hookem Horns
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
I guess if ND would have won Brent Musberger would not have "whooahed".

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/582255_10200258272637733_2083626540_n.jpg

NitroGSXR
01-17-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't know why you all are hating on Te'o. I've had an imaginary girlfriend for years.

Dutchrudder
01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/32zjm9z.gif

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/RollTideTA/kramer.gif

http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/ndmantidoll.gif

Dutchrudder
01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
TMZ has a long article about this, and they appear to have found another person linked to the story. That person provided them with the phone numbers used to contact her as Ulani or whatever her name is. Seems this Ronnie guy may have pulled off the greatest trolling of all time, but he had some help.

The Manti Te'o not-really-dead-girlfriend hoax was perpetuated by a man named Ronaiah Tuiasosopo -- who served as a representative for the family of the fake "Lennay Kekua" ... and TMZ has the photo proof.

Here's what we know ...

While Manti was "dating" Lennay ... a Notre Dame die-hard fan who we'll call "Jan" (to protect her identity) reached out to Lennay on Twitter and began an online friendship.

After Lennay's supposed death, Jan became involved with a group called "Wear a Lei 4 Manti" -- in which fans wore Hawaiian leis to ND football games to show their support for the football star.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/17/manti-teo-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-scandal-hoax-notre-dame-photo-girlfriend/?adid=hero1

Playoffs
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
"The single most trusting human being I've ever met will never be able to trust again in his life."

...............................................--Jack Swarbrick, Athletic Director Notre Dame

Dutchrudder
01-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Love these gifs....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Notre%20Dame/Manti_Teo_Online.gif

Dutchrudder
01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
But wait, there's more!!!

The revelation of the hoax has been far-reaching, a Notre Dame graduate who launched a campaign to raise money for a cancer research group in memory of Te'o's girlfriend says he is "shell-shocked" to learn the woman didn't exist.

Dan Tudesco, a 2006 graduate who now works in public relations in New York, set up an online account at fundraising website indiegogo.com on Jan. 9 to solicit $5,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Inc. The initial pitch said donations would go to the society in memory of Lennay Kekua and in honor of Te'o, "two individuals who have been an inspiration to us through an iconic season."

Tudesco said he and three friends got the fundraising idea after a seeing a video that went viral of Te'o holding his head in dismay during the Irish's 42-14 loss to Alabama in the national championship game on Jan. 7.

The goal was to turn the loss -- and the player's sudden popularity -- into something positive.

"I think we were all kind of disappointed in the result of the game ... and the Manti story was very inspirational," Tudesco told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Notre Dame took notice of Tudesco's tweets about the fund drive and sent a university videographer to shoot an interview with him. The video was posted on the Notre Dame athletics YouTube channel Tuesday.

Tudesco said he didn't believe Notre Dame was aware of the hoax when it promoted his fundraiser.

"It would surprise me that Notre Dame would want to promote this if they knew something like this was going on," Tudesco said.

However, Notre Dame officials said Wednesday that they became aware of the hoax on Dec. 26, nearly two weeks before the championship game. University spokesman Dennis Brown didn't immediately respond to a request seeking comment Thursday.

Nobody close to the situation had spoken as of Thursday afternoon, but people in Te'o's small Hawaiian hometown of Laie are offering support for the Notre Dame linebacker.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8854472/teammate-manti-teo-says-player-played-girlfriend-angle

Yankee_In_TX
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
TMZ has a long article about this, and they appear to have found another person linked to the story. That person provided them with the phone numbers used to contact her as Ulani or whatever her name is. Seems this Ronnie guy may have pulled off the greatest trolling of all time, but he had some help.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/17/manti-teo-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-scandal-hoax-notre-dame-photo-girlfriend/?adid=hero1

There goes my lone crazed b&$* theory.

gg no re
01-17-2013, 08:22 PM
this just can't be real life...

http://i.imgur.com/NKD7X.png

https://twitter.com/LennayKay

robroy72
01-17-2013, 08:27 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2ryn47p.jpg

HoustonFrog
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Te’o was aware that she had cancer. It was not a situation where he found out she had cancer and then she died. So there was a certain period where she had cancer and he was aware. If this person was really the love of his life, why would he not at least visited her once in the hospital? I know if someone I cared about was in the hospital, I would visit them. If the love of my life was diagnosed with Leukemia, you can bet your life savings I would have visited her at least once. Hard to wrap my mind around that one.

I wrote this a little earlier. Not only cancer but an accident...and no visit.

Texn4life
01-17-2013, 10:42 PM
As more details come out and more people begin to speculate I'm beginning to think he really didn't know this girl didn't exist. What I believe happened is he saw an opportunity to capitalize on the sympathy factor that he was already set to receive with his grandmother passing away. Apparently he's been known to hook up with random chicks at parties at ND so I don't think he's gay, but just somewhat of an attention whore and an opportunist. I don't believe that he talked to this girl for nights on end falling asleep on the phone.

He saw a shot with a "girl" he'd been chatting with online, found out somehow that she passed, and used this to gain sympathy. He overshot it though by overplaying how "close" they really were and now it's coming back to bite him. There is one thing about lying and that is you have to keep lying in order to carry the first lie on. Sooner or later it all snowballs on you. His teammates and even people back in Hawaii all knew this was a BS story while it was going on. He's a scumbag by using someone's "death" to gain sympathy and overemphasizing how much in love they were if this is true. This is all just my opinion, but its just kind of how I see things unfolding as more starts to come out.

Khari
01-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Weirdest story ever...:mcnugget:

HoustonFrog
01-18-2013, 09:40 AM
As more details come out and more people begin to speculate I'm beginning to think he really didn't know this girl didn't exist. What I believe happened is he saw an opportunity to capitalize on the sympathy factor that he was already set to receive with his grandmother passing away. Apparently he's been known to hook up with random chicks at parties at ND so I don't think he's gay, but just somewhat of a attention whore and an opportunist. I don't believe that he talked to this girl for nights on end falling asleep on the phone.

He saw a shot with a "girl" he'd been chatting with online, found out somehow that she passed, and used this to gain sympathy. He overshot it though by overplaying how "close" they really were and now it's coming back to bite him. There is one thing about lying and that is you have to keep lying in order to carry the first lie on. Sooner or later it all snowballs on you. His teammates and even people back in Hawaii all knew this was a BS story while it was going on. He's a scumbag by using someone's "death" to gain sympathy and overemphasizing how much in love they were if this is true. This is all just my opinion, but its just kind of how I see things unfolding as more starts to come out.

I'm with you an a lot of this. I think his agent, the school and him must be talking behind closed doors right now because they all got caught with their pants down on this one. The longer it goes, the more ex-teammates and others come out making it seem like he knew more than what he is leading on. At the most he was complicit..at the least he lied for part of the season to keep it going because he had read the stories about how they met, etc and kept running with it.

I will never buy that a guy is in love for a woman for 3 years and when she is in a car wreck and then gets leukemia, he never goes to visit or attempts to visit a hospital.

Dutchrudder
01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Oh look, more oddities from Te'o. Did he find out on December 6th or 26th? Btw, the Heisman presentation was December 8th.

Manti Te'o has said he was a victim of a cruel hoax, so many are wondering why he continued to perpetuate the lie that his girlfriend had died after he found out that it was all a scam.

Multiple media outlets have found numerous instances of the Notre Dame linebacker talking about Lennay Kekua as if she had existed after Dec. 6, the date that he and the university say he found out that the girl that he thought he was having a relationship with and who died of leukemia was made up.

At the Heisman Trophy presentation Dec. 8 in New York, ESPN's Chris Fowler asked Te'o what moment of his very public story of tragedy he would remember.

"I think I'll never forget the time when I found out that, you know, my girlfriend passed away and the first person to run to my aid was my defensive coordinator, Coach [Bob] Diaco, and you know he said something very profound to me," Te'o said. "He said, 'This is where your faith is tested.' Right after that, I ran into the players' lounge and I got on the phone with my parents -- and I opened my eyes and my head coach was sitting right there. And so, you know, there are a hundred-plus people on our team and the defensive coordinator and our head coach took time to just go get one [of those players]. You know I think that was the most meaningful to me."

Te'o also said on ESPN Radio the same day that he hoped his grandmother, who died Sept. 12, and his girlfriend, who was reported to have died on the same day, were proud of him.

The Associated Press turned up two more instances during that gap between Dec. 6 and Dec. 26, the date when Te'o told Notre Dame that he knew of the hoax, when the football star mentioned Kekua in public.

During another interview at the Heisman ceremony that ran on WSBT.com, the website for a South Bend TV station, Te'o said: "I mean, I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer. So I've really tried to go to children's hospitals and see, you know, children."

In a column that first ran in The Los Angeles Times, on Dec. 10, Te'o recounted why he played a few days after he found out Kekua died in September, and the day she was supposedly buried.

"She made me promise, when it happened, that I would stay and play," he said Dec. 9 while attending a ceremony in Newport Beach, Calif., for the Lott Impact Awards.

Doubts about Te'o's participation in the scam even extend to his own campus, where he is one of the most popular players in Notre Dame's storied history.

"Whenever Manti decides to speak I'll bet the entire campus will stop what they're doing and watch what he has to say," Notre Dame student body president Brett Rocheleau said Thursday. "I think the majority of students believe in Manti. They just want to hear him answer these final few questions and hear the story from his point of view."

Anonymous teammates have said in the past few days that they questioned the entire girlfriend scenario.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8856519/manti-teo-talked-girlfriend-knowing-hoax

disaacks3
01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
The more I hear, I think Khari has it right...

Weirdest story ever...:mcnugget:

Texn4life
01-18-2013, 10:40 AM
The fake funeral thing is the most confusing part of this to me. Was someone really feeding him info about when the casket closed? Did they really provide him with an address where he sent white flowers? If so wouldn't it be pretty easy to connect the dots if he was given addresses? And those letters that were mailed? No address? Hospital she was at? No address? This guy just can't seriously be that dumb. At least thats what I keep telling myself, but maybe he is.

Rey
01-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Maybe shes real but was here illegally so now hes faking her death to protect her.

Playoffs
01-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Ronaiah Tuiasosopo used 9 year old sister in plot to "raise money" (http://www.csnchicago.com/ncaa/notre-dame/irish-talk/Radio-interview-sheds-light-on-Teos-rela?blockID=824541&feedID=630)
One of the central unanswered questions surrounding the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax is the linebacker's relationship with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man reported by Deadspin as the mastermind behind the fake persona of Lennay Kekua.

While Te'o didn't speak on the matter Thursday, his great uncle Alema joined Salt Lake City radio station 1280 The Zone and, in a 33-minute discussion, elaborated on Te'o's meeting with Tuiasosopo in Los Angeles prior to Notre Dame's regular-season finale against USC.

Alema Te'o said he met Tuiasosopo in a Los Angeles hotel lobby and quickly felt something was off. Te'o runs a football camp in American Samoa, which Tuiasosopo said he had a hand in planning -- a statement which, according to Te'o, was not the case.

"If he’s telling me that he was doing my job, then where the hell was I?" Te'o said.

Te'o detailed how Tuiasosopo had with him a 9-year-old girl called Pookah, which jives with a TMZ report involving a separate meeting with Tuiasosopo and a child referred to as Pookah. Te'o said his great-nephew was "mesmerized" by Pookah and was led to believe she was a cousin of Kekua, when in fact she was one of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo's sisters, according to the elder Te'o.

Alema Te'o also said Manti Te'o had previously talked on the phone with Pookah while Kekua was purportedly still alive but too tired to talk.

When one of Alema Te'o's nieces attempted to talk with Pookah, she -- according to Te'o -- didn't speak, only nodding or shaking her head while Tuiasosopo stood over her with both his hands on her shoulders.

Te'o detailed how Tuiasosopo said he was hoping to raise money for a friend of Kekua's, who also had leukemia and attended Stanford, so that person could put herself through college. That hope was characterized as a "dying wish" of Kekua's, according to Te'o.

Te'o said Tuiasosopo continually talked up a charity event for his foundation, and believed at the time Tuiasosopo was attempting to align himself with Te'o to gain notoriety for his foundation.

Te'o minced no words when referring to Tuiasosopo multiple times during the segment, saying: "Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is a liar, he concocted the whole thing, he misrepresented whatever program that he was trying to get across to Manti, and shoot, he lied every step of the way. I don’t feel it’s beyond him to hire somebody or bring somebody in to play the role of Lennay to get Manti to buy into this deal."

Notre Dame star linebacker Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend "Lennay Kekua" may have hoaxed other unsuspecting suitors. (http://abcnews.go.com/US/manti-teos-fake-girlfriend-duped/story?id=18246589)

"Catfish" movie director and actor Ariel Schulman told "Good Morning America" today that he believes there may have been "a few other people duped by the fake Lennay character."

Schulman and his brother Nev Schulman have been looking into the elaborate scam and claim to be corresponding with various players involved. They have come to believe that there were "a lot of other people that she was corresponding with before and maybe even during her relationship [with Te'o]."

Nev Schulman was the subject of the 2010 movie "Catfish," which spawned the TV series, because he himself was sucked in by an Internet pretender -- or a "catfish" -- who built an elaborate fake life.

As questions mount about Te'o's possible role in the complex scam, the number one question is whether Te'o was unknowingly ensnared, as he says, or whether he was complicit in the scam.

"I stand by the guy. My heart goes out to him," Ariel Schulman said. His brother has reached out to Te'o, but has not heard back.

"He had his heart broken," Schulman said. "He was grieving for someone, whether she existed or not. Those were real feelings."
Te'o...received a phone call Dec. 6, while at an awards show, from what he believed was the old cellphone number of the supposed girlfriend, Lennay Kekua. The woman on the other end -- in a voice he recognized as Kekua's -- told him that she wasn't dead. She later tried to rekindle the relationship, Swarbrick said. (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/01/manti-teo-hoax-woman-at-center-of-scandal-not-talking-right-now.html)

Dutchrudder
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
From the Daily Show last night...
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/BA3VpAFCAAAOwnA.jpg

Dutchrudder
01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Fake questions NFL general managers might ask Manti Te'o

New York Jets -- "If you were so in love with this woman, why did you not get a tattoo of her wearing a Ron Powlus jersey?"

Buffalo Bills -- "How long did it take you to make a long-term commitment to the relationship? We usually wait two, three weeks."

Cincinnati Bengals -- "So you haven't been charged with any crime? NEXT!"

San Francisco 49ers -- "Do you see the read option as a clever offensive scheme or a 'sad and cruel hoax'?"

New York Giants -- "In order to hold the phone to your ear for eight hours, you must have great arm strength. Can you teach some to Eli?"

New Orleans Saints -- "How angry were you at the perpetrators of this hoax? $5,000? $10,000? $25,000??"

Green Bay Packers -- "Through all of this, you're certain you had no cell phone communication with Brett Favre?"

Dallas Cowboys -- "As long as you didn't take any girlfriend to Los Cabos before a big game, we're cool."

Cleveland Browns -- "Your performance in your first game after finding out about the hoax was pathetic. If you can't learn to get past crushing disappointments, how do you ever expect to succeed with the Browns?"

Indianapolis Colts -- "Seriously, don't worry about it. Jim Irsay's done far worse on Twitter."

Jacksonville Jaguars -- "If we draft you, can we put your phony girlfriend down for season tickets? Like 35,000 of them?"

Miami Dolphins -- "Manti, you're probably getting a lot of questions about your role in the hoax. I trust you. What I'm curious about is whether your mother had any role in this?"

Philadelphia Eagles -- "Have you ever actually met Brian Kelly? Because we're not really sure we have either."

Oakland Raiders -- "It's not the lying and half-truths we're concerned about, it's the affiliation with a guy named Tuiasosopo."

Pittsburgh Steelers -- "More like the Immaculate Deception, amirite?!" (High-fives Dan Rooney.)

New England Patriots -- "Your biggest error wasn't gullibility, but in failing to document everything with videotape proof."

Washington Redskins -- "We want you to feel comfortable here. This is a safe space and you can say anything you want. So, please be honest: You didn't have a problem with Shanahan leaving RGIII in the game, right?"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/17/mantei-teo-questions-nfl-general-managers-fake/1842499/

Double Barrel
01-18-2013, 01:33 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/578365_10151350713519154_147850212_n.jpg

Rey
01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
One good thing will surely come out of this...

People are sure to be more careful on the Internet....right?

Texn4life
01-18-2013, 03:53 PM
One good thing will surely come out of this...

People are sure to be more careful on the Internet....right?

I think you underestimate the stupidity of the human population.

gg no re
01-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Lennay Kekua told Manti Te’o she faked her death to evade drug dealers: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lennay-kekau-told-manti-te-o-she-faked-222952624--ncaaf.html

WHAT THE EFFFFFFFFFFF
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/mindblown.gif

Playoffs
01-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Honolulu Star Advisor: Man confesses to creating hoax, says Te'o was victim per ESPN (http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20130118_EXCLUSIVE_Woman_tried_new_hoax_in_Decembe r_call_to_Teo.html?id=187505701)

The woman told the ESPN show “Outside the Lines” that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo of California cried when he admitted to her in December that he was involved in the scam. ESPN did not identify the woman at her request but described her as in her 20s and a church friend of Tuiasosopo.

"He (Ronaiah) told me Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. The girlfriend was a lie; the accident was a lie; the leukemia was a lie," the woman told ESPN. "He was crying; he was literally crying. He's like 'I know, I know what I have to do.'"

She added, "It is not only Manti, but he was telling me that it is a lot of other people they had done this to."

Outside the Lines interviewed two others who said they had family members who had a similar hoax played on them by Tuiasosopo.

AJ-80
01-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Plain and simple, this Ronaiah guy and Manti were in on it together this whole time to garner attention. Once deadspin broke the story, Ronaiah took the fall, and Manti will probably give him some cash after he gets drafted. You can't discount the lies by Manti of seeing/talking in person with Lennay(nobody)...its so painfully obvious

TexanExile
01-19-2013, 01:14 AM
I will never buy that a guy is in love for a woman for 3 years and when she is in a car wreck and then gets leukemia, he never goes to visit or attempts to visit a hospital.

Ding! Exactly.

The rest of this nutty story is, well, just too nutty...but nothing is more absurd than the idea that so many bad things could happen to the woman you're in love with and you're just starin' away at them 2 online photos. I mean, sure, whatever else could a loving boyfriend do?

Even Vince Young isn't this stupid. Something's up.

GP
01-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Wow. This is all so very disturbing.

THIS is what our culture is coming to? I mean, I did some prank phone calls and stuff when I was a kid in the 1990s...but stuff is way too elaborate these days.

What wank-offs have the time and energy to create and SUSTAIN this type of hoax....and for what reason? For fun?

Dude is messed up in the head.

Playoffs
01-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Plain and simple, this Ronaiah guy and Manti were in on it together this whole time to garner attention.

Wrong. Te'o just gave ESPN's Jeremy Schaap a 2 1/2 hour interview.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA8QlN7CUAAjGBD.jpg

Manti was catfished by the guy Ronaiah Tuiasosopo who called him and confessed on Wednesday and apologized.

Te'o admitted to lying about meeting Lennay. He first lied to his unapproving father when he returned from what was supposed to be his first meeting with Lennay in Hawaii. "She" didn't show, and instead of getting an "I told you so" he just said he met her.

Te'o admitted to the other times he lied about meeting her, saying lying was easier than going into the whole convoluted truth of this bizarre online relationship. He regrets his lies the most.

Te'o was told "Lennay" had been in an accident and a coma. When "she" woke from the coma, she asked if he would stay on the phone with her while she slept. "She" said his presence took away some of the pain she was going through.

So Te'o called her every day. And every night he would stay on the phone with "Lennay" throughout the night so she could sleep.

Te'o & his parents would do almost daily Bible studies with "Lennay" while she was hospitalized for the accident and later for leukemia.

Then Te'o was informed his grandmother had died. Hours later, a "sibling" of "Lennay" called to tell him Lennay had died. Te'o friends, some players, and a coach were there when he got this call. He was crushed.

This Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is strangely described as a very religious person. I think he's was sick S.O.B. There were supposedly 3 different people who pretended to be Lennay, and others who pretended to be her siblings/cousins including Tuasosopo's 9 year old sister.

Te'o has since spoken with others who were also targeted by this hoax.

Te'o is guilty of being extremely naive/idealistic/trusting, and of lying about meeting "her".

disaacks3
01-19-2013, 11:44 AM
He had an off- camera interview. The interviewer had to meet with Te'os lawyer first. Why was that exactly? He's playing everything in damage control mode as if he's guilty of something. Getting duped isn't a reason to hide to this extent. This story is far from over.

Playoffs
01-19-2013, 12:52 PM
He had an off- camera interview...Why was that exactly?Schaap said Te'o wanted a more relaxed, informal environment. It's all on audiotape, Schaap said Te'o answered every one of his over 300 questions.

...The interviewer had to meet with Te'os lawyer first...There have been fundraisers and other outpourings of support because of this story -- and he did lie about meeting her. Te'o (and maybe ND) will potentially be the target of numerous lawsuits.

Here's an edited transcript: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8859544/highlights-manti-teo-interview-jeremy-schaap

This elaborate scheme all begain when Manti was a freshman, and they slowly reeled him until sometime around the new year 2012 when they locked onto him.

Vinny
01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Here's an edited transcript: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8859544/highlights-manti-teo-interview-jeremy-schaap

This elaborate scheme all begain when Manti was a freshman, and they slowly reeled him until sometime around the new year 2012 when they locked onto him.

I stopped reading after this part... Effin' laughable and it's as unreasonable as not going to the love of your life's funeral or visit them at the hospital...like once. Just friggin once? Dude sounds more like a pathological liar to me. Took them a few days to come up with a story....and right off the bat its ridiculous.

JEREMY SCHAAP: What was your reaction when you saw the story came out on Wednesday?

MANTI TE'O: Avoid every piece of technology, don't listen to anything, don't turn the TV on, don't go on Twitter, don't go on Facebook, and that kind of got -- I got information from my friends and they were telling me what people were saying about me and stuff.

JEREMY SCHAAP: You didn't read the story?

MANTI TE'O: No, I haven't.

Honoring Earl 34
01-19-2013, 02:02 PM
I stopped reading after this part... Effin' laughable and it's as unreasonable as not going to the love of your life's funeral or visit them at the hospital...like once. Just friggin once? Dude sounds more like a pathological liar to me. Took them a few days to come up with a story....and right off the bat its ridiculous.

If I would have been done like that , I try to schedule a cage match with that dude for charity .

Wolf
01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Diane O'meara is the name of the lady in the picture. She is very much alive and shocked by the hoax of someone using her picture

http://www.rightentertainment.com/?p=8728

Vinny
01-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Manti's off camera interview... In April she was said to be in a car accident and while receiving treatment, doctors supposedly learned that she had leukemia. She was said to have died on Sept. 12.
Te'o said it never occurred to him to go to the hospital or to Kekua's funeral when she died.
"It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school," Te'o said.

Never crossed his mind? Please, there were probably tons of people asking him when the funeral was and why he wasn't going to show up. Dude is a pathological liar

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/manti-te-os-off-camera-interview-leaves-more-064213663--ncaaf.html;_ylt=AjO_VaDxsIR9WdOIAFzI9bFYYsp_;_ylu= X3oDMTRxbmRtNW0zBGNjb2RlA3ZzaGFyZWFnMnVwcmVzdARtaX QDTWl4ZWQgTGlzdCBOZXdzIEZvciBZb3UEcGtnAzA5ZDU1MzZk LTE0MjMtM2QxZC1hYmZkLWM5ODFjZWQxYjQ4ZgRwb3MDMwRzZW MDbmV3c19mb3JfeW91BHZlcgM5NGJlODEzMC02MjFlLTExZTIt YjVkZS02OTQ2ZGQwMGMzN2M-;_ylg=X3oDMTE2Z2ppM3RwBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQD;_ylv=3

Playoffs
01-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Te'o said it never occurred to him to go to the hospital or to Kekua's funeral when she died.
"It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school," Te'o said.That misrepresents the interview.

Here he had just been told the fake girl was supposedly in the hospital in a coma in LA:
MANTI TE'O: So they were saying -- they were telling me, 'Bro, she recognized your voice. We know she's there. We know she can hear you.' She would quicken her voice. And I heard it on the phone. They would do it to me. And so that was my communication while she was in a coma.

JEREMY SCHAAP: Why at that time did you not go see her?

MANTI TE'O: It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school. I was finishing up my year and I was going home. It was towards the end of my junior year. End of my junior year, and I was about to go home. When I decided to go home, the day that I decided to -- the day I left to go home -- they called me and said that that was the same day that they were going to pull the plug. And so it intensifies the whole thing. I'm on the plane. I figured they're about to pull the plug on someone.

From the interview question about the funeral:
JEREMY SCHAAP: Why didn't you go to Lennay's funeral?
MANTI TE'O: Because Lennay's funeral was the same day of the Michigan game.

And because, before Lennay passed away, we had a conversation where she asked me if she passed away, if I could go to her funeral? I told her no, I'm not going to talk like that. I'm not going to talk like that. She said tell me this, if anything happens, promixe me that you'll send me white roses and say you'll play. She said all I want is white roses.

And leading up to the funeral, her siblings kept telling me that their mom told them she didn't want me to come. They didn't want -- and I didn't want myself -- I didn't want that to be the first time that I saw her was lying in a coffin. That's why I didn't go.

Vinny
01-19-2013, 03:08 PM
We already know that but he answered "it didn't cross my mind"...which frankly is another lie. Dude is a pathological liar.

Texn4life
01-19-2013, 04:06 PM
We already know that but he answered "it didn't cross my mind"...which frankly is another lie. Dude is a pathological liar.

Unfortunately I agree...... He's got all these excuses of why he didn't do this and didn't do that. For a guy with a 3.5 GPA at Notre Dame he's doing a great job of playing dumb. Thing is people aren't buying it. I still don't think he had anything to do with the hoax, but he's lied so much that he looks ridiculous now.

gg no re
01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
so how good will teo be at disguising his blitzes and coverages

pbat488
01-19-2013, 10:21 PM
totally not safe for work or young ones, but this site and link make this thread absolutely hilarious to me.

http://www.gizoogle.net/index.php?search=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.texanstalk.com%2 Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D2112551%23post21125 51&se=Gizoogle+Dis+Shiznit

NitroGSXR
01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
totally not safe for work or young ones, but this site and link make this thread absolutely hilarious to me.

http://www.gizoogle.net/index.php?search=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.texanstalk.com%2 Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D2112551%23post21125 51&se=Gizoogle+Dis+Shiznit

That was great! LOL!

Texn4life
01-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Gettin' straight jiggy wit' it yo!

:wadepalm:

disaacks3
01-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Someone rep this man for me, that was awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Playoffs
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
The Smoking Gun -- Manti Te'o Is A Rube, Not A Hoax Coconspirator

"Proof of life" Twitter photos key to bizarre scam (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/manti-teo-rube-984703)

JANUARY 18--While Manti Te’o did himself no favors by hitting the mattresses in the wake of this week’s Deadspin report, there is compelling evidence--at least to TSG’s eyes--that the Notre Dame star was the victim of the remarkable hoax and not a coconspirator.

In a story packed with bizarre details and inexplicable behavior, it is key to focus on the actions last month of Te’o and Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the 22-year-old California man who invented “Lennay Kekua,” the fictitious woman with whom Te’o, 21, maintained an online romance/relationship. Until, of course, “Kekua” died last September of leukemia.

As part of the “Kekua” hoax, Tuiasosopo established a Twitter account for the fake woman. The account, which has carried several different names since its inception in 2011, was most recently @LoveMSMK (until it was deleted earlier this month).

As Deadspin reported, the account included several Twitpics purporting to show "Kekua," an attractive brunette who appeared to be in her early 20s (one Te’o tweet indicated that she turned 22 last February 14, Valentine’s Day).

But the “Kekua” photos were actually images that had been taken from the Facebook and Instagram accounts of Diane O’Meara, a 23-year-old Los Angeles marketing executive. When interviewed by Deadspin, O’Meara identified Tuiasosopo as a former high school classmate whom she remembered fondly, but had not been in touch with since graduation.

Until last month.

Tuiasosopo, O’Meara recalled, contacted her on Facebook with a strange request. As Deadspin reported, Tuiasosopo claimed that his cousin “had been in a serious car accident, and he had seen her photos before and thought she was pretty. Would she be so kind as to take a picture of herself holding up a sign reading ‘MSMK,’ to put in a slideshow to support the cousin's recovery?”

Though puzzled by the request, O’Meara agreed and sent Tuiasosopo a photo showing herself holding a white piece of paper with the handwritten letters “MSMK” (the meaning of which O’Meara had no clue). As seen below, the photo of O’Meara with the sign was subsequently uploaded last month to the @LoveMSMK Twitter account’s profile. Te'o last September told Sports Illustrated that “Kekua”’s first name was actually Melelengei, so perhaps “MSMK” is a reference to her initials. [It is.]

The addition of the photograph was not a random act on the part of Tuiasosopo, but rather a clear attempt by the hoax’s mastermind to establish “proof of life” for “Kekua,” who had purportedly died three months earlier.
If Te’o was somehow involved in the hoax, there would have been no need for Tuiasosopo to scheme to obtain a fresh photo of O’Meara. Or to upload that December image to the “Kekua” Twitter account. He did it simply in a bid to further bamboozle the stunningly naïve Te’o.http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/manti-teo-rube-984703

b0ng
01-23-2013, 12:40 PM
@jamiemottram: Te'o's mom tried to convert his fake GF to Mormonism via text. usat.ly/YhQfyV

Yankee_In_TX
01-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Don't have a link, the conspirator claims to have also faked using a female voice and it was him that Te'o had been talking to.

Please let Te'o be gay. It's the only thing that makes any sense at this point.

Otherwise - W. T. F.?

Yankee_In_TX
01-24-2013, 08:19 AM
For those who have never been catfished, this is a good read:
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/01/24/the-manti-teo-hoax-5-reasons-people-create-fake-girlfriends-according-to-catfish/

Also, those who ask - what is the end game? Some times it really is just attention:
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/01/24/the-manti-teo-hoax-5-reasons-people-create-fake-girlfriends-according-to-catfish/#slide/twisted-fun/?&_suid=135903705583500030483435046150253

Rey
01-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Don't have a link, the conspirator claims to have also faked using a female voice and it was him that Te'o had been talking to.

Please let Te'o be gay. It's the only thing that makes any sense at this point.

Otherwise - W. T. F.?

He's gay.

It's how they are going to explain roniah's phone number being all on teo's phone log.

They are lovers. Roniah is taking the fall for Teo.

Dutchrudder
01-24-2013, 12:33 PM
This is just so damn weird.

Manti Te'o was talking to man

The woman whose picture was used to create Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend has been identified, but the voice of the woman who had hours of late-night phone calls with the Notre Dame star linebacker has remained silent. Turns out that's because it reportedly was a man.

The lawyer for the man who has been identified as behind the hoax, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, told the New York Daily News that his client disguised his voice and assumed the identity of Lennay Kekua to try to develop a relationship with Te'o.

Milton Grimes said that Te'o "thought it was a female he was talking with. It was Ronaiah as Lennay."

Grimes said that Tuiasosopo wasn't trying to hurt Te'o.

"This wasn't a prank to make fun," Grimes said, according to the newspaper. "It was establishing a communication with someone. ... It was a person with a troubled existence trying to reach out and communicate and have a relationship."

Grimes wouldn't characterize the type of relationship Tuiasosopo wanted with the Heisman Trophy runner-up.

"I wouldn't describe his issues at this time," he said to the Daily News.

How could he get away with it, though? Tuiasosopo, 22, has had dramatic training, plays in a Christian band and even auditioned last year for the television show "The Voice."

"Come on, Hollywood does it all the time," Grimes said of his client pretending to be a woman. "People can do that."

The ruse apparently worked for many, many hours on the phone. A source close to Te'o gave ESPN's Jeremy Schaap documents that the source says are Te'o's AT&T phone records from May 11 to Sept. 12, the date that Kekua was supposed to have died of leukemia. The logs are not originals, but spreadsheets sent via emails, and could not be independently verified.

The records show that in that four-month span -- when Te'o has said he believed Kekua to be in a Los Angeles hospital recovering from an accident and being treated for cancer -- Te'o made and received more than 1,000 calls totaling more than 500 hours in length from the same number in the 661 area code. The 661 area code covers Lancaster, Calif., which is part of Los Angeles County. The source told Schaap that Te'o believed the 661 phone number in question was Kekua's.
Of these calls, 110 were more than 60 minutes in length, including several that were several hundred minutes long. In an ESPN interview Friday, and in interviews with both ESPN and Sports Illustrated last fall, Te'o said he was on the phone "every single night" with a person he believed to be Kekua, often for long stretches late at night.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8875990/lawyer-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-was-voice-talking-manti-teo

HoustonFrog
01-24-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry, until T'eo actually comes completely clean I'm not buying half this stuff. Why are people like Couric and others neglecting to ask him about the "first meeting" at Stanford and the meeting in Hawaii. We already know they didn't happen. We also know that the newspaper reports...which were widespread..explained these meetings in detail. It was later reported that the details came from his Dad. So where did his Dad get those details? And Manti knew those articles and facts were circulating for the whole season since "her death" in Week 4 so why not correct it then. "That's not how we met, it was an online thing." So he basically let that lie ride for a full season...months. Then he lets it go some more after he finds out it wasn't real. I just think there are many hidden lies and I refuse to call the guy a victim.

Dutchrudder
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Add some more suspicion to the story:

Inexplicably, Notre Dame didn’t ask linebacker Manti Te’o to produce cell phone records corroborating the contention that he spent countless hours on the phone with his fake deal girlfriend.

There likewise had been no mention of objective proof of extensive and lengthy calls in any of the reporting from ESPN.

Now, ESPN reports that a “source close to Te’o” has produced the cell phone records. Sort of.

While the online story isn’t clear, Mike Hill of SportsCenter has explained that the source didn’t produce the actual phone records but spreadsheets based on the raw data. The spreadsheets show that, from May 11 through September 12, Te’o made more than 1,000 calls to a number in the 661 area code, where Lennay Kekua supposedly lived. Of the calls, 110 lasted for more than 60 minutes.

That’s fine, but it’s meaningless without the actual records. Te’o has claimed that he spent long stretches overnight on the phone with Kekua while she slept in a hospital bed. It doesn’t matter if there are 110 calls of more than an hour in length if there isn’t a single one that lasted, say, six hours. The report from ESPN doesn’t say whether the spreadsheet sheds light on that point.

Put simply, producing anything other than the actual records serves only to raise more suspicions in a case that already has plenty of them.

The only way out of this latest maze created by Te’o's camp is to produce the records

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/teo-produces-spreadsheet-of-cell-phone-records/

Yankee_In_TX
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Add some more suspicion to the story:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/teo-produces-spreadsheet-of-cell-phone-records/

Who the eff is this guy's agent?

Dutchrudder
01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Deadspin has a few of Lennay's voicemails left for Teo. Click the link to go hear a few. Sure sounds like a chick to me, but it's not like there is any way to know that these weren't recorded last week.

http://deadspin.com/5978713/listen-to-manti-teos-voicemails-from-lennay-kekuaronaiah-tuiasosopo

Señor Stan
01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Deadspin has a few of Lennay's voicemails left for Teo. Click the link to go hear a few. Sure sounds like a chick to me, but it's not like there is any way to know that these weren't recorded last week.

http://deadspin.com/5978713/listen-to-manti-teos-voicemails-from-lennay-kekuaronaiah-tuiasosopo

That was creepy.

Texn4life
01-24-2013, 07:07 PM
That was creepy.

Yeah, that creepy factor is about at a 12 right about now. This whole story just keeps taking some strange turns. Now come to find out Manti has been talking to a man this whole time on the phone? Just wow!

b0ng
01-24-2013, 07:36 PM
You guys spending any time on speculating where Manti Te'o puts his penis in this is kind of disturbing.

AJ-80
01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
The guy behind this whole scheme is an absolute psycho.

Who spends 1000's of hours talking to a dude impersonating a girlfriend going through chemotherapy? This guy must have some serious mental issues....

:facepalm:

Texn4life
01-25-2013, 12:44 AM
I just listened to part of the interview and I believe he's being upfront now. Ed Lover was on First Take yesterday and I think he nailed things perfectly. The kid just lacks street sense or as he called it "swag". I was raised that if you know that 1+1=2 then don't try make it equal 4. Most people with common sense would have been able to snuff this out in about a week. Somehow it took him an eternity, but I am starting to feel bad for him. He just needs to go away now and sooner or later people will forget about this. He'll be the butt of many jokes for his whole career, but its a lesson I'm sure he'll never forget.

Playoffs
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Dr. Phil: Tuiasosopo 'romantically in love' with Te'o (http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/30/dr-phil-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-confused-sexual-identity/1876995/)

In an excerpt of his two-part interview with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, Dr. Phil McGraw said the alleged mastermind behind the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax spoke of his "confused" sexual identity, and that Tuiasosopo "fell deeply, romantically in love" with the Notre Dame star.

"I asked him, straight up, was this a romantic relationship with you?" McGraw told NBC's Matt Taibbi during a segment on NBC's Today. "And he says, 'yes.' I then said, are you then, therefore, gay? He says, 'Well, when you put it that way, yes.' And then, he caught himself and said, 'I am confused.'"

In the course of the interview, Tuiasosopo told McGraw that Te'o had absolutely no role in the hoax, painting the All-American as an innocent victim in a scam that Tuiasosopo knew would blow up once Te'o's stature grew over the course of his senior season.

Stemp
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
So basically, Te'o was involved in a gay relationship but just didn't know it.

Playoffs
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
So basically, Te'o was involved in a gay relationship but just didn't know it.

I think it's an excuse to evade responsibility. If this Ronaiah Tuiasosopo "loved" Manti so much, why did he torture him by telling him his "girl" had died? Why do so much to destroy the reputation & career of the football player you "love"? Why set him up for public ridicule if you "love" him so much?

What "love" is it to spends hours upon hours on the phone & through texts with Manti's parents discussing their religion, then allow Te'o's mother to spend so much time witnessing & giving her testimony in an attempt to help the "girl" find God?

I call b.s., this guy's evading responsibility.

Tailgate
01-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I think it's an excuse to evade responsibility. If this Ronaiah Tuiasosopo "loved" Manti so much, why did he torture him by telling him his "girl" had died? Why do so much to destroy the reputation & career of the football player you "love"? Why set him up for public ridicule if you "love" him so much?

What "love" is it to spends hours upon hours on the phone & through texts with Manti's parents discussing their religion, then allow Te'o's mother to spend so much time witnessing & giving her testimony in an attempt to help the "girl" find God?

I call b.s., this guy's evading responsibility.

Have you ever seen catfish?

Playoffs
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Have you ever seen catfish?

Yes, he got catfished. I don't think it's some homo love affair.

Most of the conversations were faked by Tuiasosopo's female cousin. She wants to be an actress.

gg no re
02-03-2013, 02:28 AM
You guys spending any time on speculating where Manti Te'o puts his penis in this is kind of disturbing.

:hobie:http://i.imgur.com/cuYAp.gif:hobie:

SAMURAITEXAN
02-04-2013, 01:24 AM
my favorite tweet about this so far>>> These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.

So when is a funeral?

Dutchrudder
02-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Well, turns out Roniah T was the voice on the voicemails, or at least that's what Dr. Phil's show will confirm this week. Video at the link so you can see him behind the screen. I'm still sticking with my gut feeling that these two are in love together, and the girl persona is just a cover.

Here’s Manti Te’o Hoaxer Ronaiah Tuiasosopo Performing What He Claims Is Lennay Kekua’s Voice
Timothy Burke and Jack Dickey
When the first part of Dr. Phil's exclusive interview with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo concluded yesterday, we were left with a cliffhanger: would Ronaiah finally give in to the good Doctor's demands and perform the voice of Lennay Kekua? Today we got the answer: sort of.
After an inconclusive performance behind a privacy screen, Dr. Phil set up a scenario for Ronaiah to perform the Lennay character from the Tuiasosopo home on a clean phone with a producer serving as witness.

http://deadspin.com/5980822/heres-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-attempting-to-perform-what-he-claims-is-lennays-voice-on-dr-phil

Rey
02-04-2013, 10:49 AM
They played a clip on the radio and it sounds like guy trying to sound like a girl or a big hideous woman.

The voice definitely doesn't match the womans picture that Teo "thought he was talking to".

Playoffs
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
I think this hoax has opened the door for some heretofore suppressed homo-erotic fantasizing about college football players. :peek: