PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Joseph: Texans "better team" than Patriots

HoustonFrog
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
This stuff bothers me. I don't take it as bravado, or a confidence build, etc. I wish guys would just take the reality..like Reed...and work to overcome the gap. Give credit, move on and work. Am I wrong here or do people like the attitude?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127200/article/johnathan-joseph-texans-better-team-than-patriots

Color Mr. Joseph unimpressed.

"Obviously we had the right guys in here to win 13 ballgames to get up to that point," Joseph told Dave Zangaro of ComcastSportsNet Houston of Sunday's playoff loss. "For whatever reason, we didn't advance. I still can't put that over because I think we were a better team. I think we just didn't make the plays at the right time."

Asked if the gap between the Texans and Patriots remains a wide one, Joseph stuck to his story: "Not at all," he said. "Just four or five plays. You take a few of those plays that they made and go the other way, it's a different ballgame."

Mr teX
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
yeah, it kinda bothers me too. If you were the better team you'd be playing this weekend.

Vinny
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
didn't they just do a study where they determined that young people today are a bit delusional and narcissistic...you know, living in a dream world?

BigBull17
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Show me how you're better J-Jo. Please, show me. By my calculations the combined score was 83-42. In two games you scored as much as they did in 1 game. Stupid **** like this pisses me off. You got corn holed by a team twice, so just giive em their props or drop a "no comment" and STFU

Vinny
01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Show me how you're better J-Jo. Please, show me. By my calculations the combined score was 83-42. In two games you scored as much as they did in 1 game. Stupid **** like this pisses me off. You got corn holed by a team twice, so just giive em their props or drop a "no comment" and STFU yeah, you play the games to show who is better. Unless you are in College and then they use the United Nations system of figuring stuff out by voting.

rolyat93
01-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Can you imagine the **** Tom Brady would get if he said that had we won? We'd be coming down on him calling him a sore loser.

Dread-Head
01-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Can you imagine the **** Tom Brady would get if he said that had we won? We'd be coming down on him calling him a sore loser.

:thinking: Uh...no actually I'd be calling him a 3itch. Hell they won and I'm STILL calling him one.

Playoffs
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't have a problem with my players thinking we have the right guys to win it all if that's their truth.

Rey
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
This stuff bothers me. I don't take it as bravado, or a confidence build, etc. I wish guys would just take the reality..like Reed...and work to overcome the gap. Give credit, move on and work. Am I wrong here or do people like the attitude?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127200/article/johnathan-joseph-texans-better-team-than-patriots

Different Attitudes work for different types of people so I won't tell him how he should feel.

But he is wrong though.

welsh texan
01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
JoJo should be thinking about how he can get properly fit and come back stronger next season not about 4 or 5 plays, because if by 4 or 5 plays 2 of them are TDs, 2 XPs and an FG then you are losing by 17 points. Texans lost by more than 17 points on average.

I know you can't blame the guy for getting injured, but at the same time he can't be openning his mouth because he became gradually more and more inneffectual through his injuries from around week 2 or 3 onwards and to my mind never fully recovered all season.

So we've got Reed throwing his coach under the bus for not preparing him and we've got JoJo thinking the tonking they took twice over doesn't represent a gap.

The last few years I've been used to going into the offseason having real reason for hope of improvement. I really struggle to imagine, beyond some miracle draft 06 style, the overall talent level of this team improving over time, we're going to be forced to replace our mid-level talent and contributing backups with rookies year after year from here on out and I really struggle to imagine that anything other than improvement in coaching is going to move the chains on this teams potential going forward.

TejasTom
01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Sounds like the post 2010 (6-10) arguments.

We're just a couple plays from 10-6.

We were also a couple if plays from 2-14.

It took upgrading a coach and some players. Sounds like a food recipe to take the next step.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

Double Barrel
01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
“How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.”
~ Abraham Lincoln

JCTexan
01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
You got beat twice handily by the Patriots, and you come out and say this? :toropalm:

welsh texan
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
You got beat twice handily by the Patriots, and you come out and say this? :toropalm:

Yep, nice little bulletin board material for the Pats when we meet next season.

dream_team
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
What he said here doesn't bother me. I want my team to be confident and believe they can beat anyone.

But maybe he should have said, "We are the better team, but they played better than us today."

HoustonFrog
01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
What he said here doesn't bother me. I want my team to be confident and believe they can beat anyone.

But maybe he should have said, "We are the better team, but they played better than us today."

Or "they were the better team the 2 times we played them this year but I believe we can beat them in the future." That gives them respect and acknowledges you have confidence in the guys you have.

Wolf
01-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Show me how you're better J-Jo. Please, show me. By my calculations the combined score was 83-42. In two games you scored as much as they did in 1 game. Stupid **** like this pisses me off. You got corn holed by a team twice, so just giive em their props or drop a "no comment" and STFU

Well .take 4 or 5 plays away from both games and we are looking at a combined score of 48-42 pats still win (taking as way 5 TDs of course ) :joker:

Goodwrench3
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Completely agree. Our team team had some deficiencies, but is a Top 5 in the league. Tom Brady beated us. Not the Patriots.

Vinny
01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Well .take 4 or 5 plays away from both games and we are looking at a combined score of 48-42 pats still win (taking as way 5 TDs of course ) :joker:well, let's take away 4-5 scores from the Patriots in all their games and they don't make the playoffs. so there

silentassassin
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Anyone consider what he said was taken out of context?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/texans-say-johnathan-joseph-didnt-claim-theyre-better-than-patriots/

HoustonFrog
01-16-2013, 03:29 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/texans-say-johnathan-joseph-didnt-claim-theyre-better-than-patriots/

Sounds like weak spin to me. I still read it the same.

Completely agree. Our team team had some deficiencies, but is a Top 5 in the league. Tom Brady beated us. Not the Patriots.

Umm, what about Wes Welker and Shane Vareen and the Defense that basically dominated the Texans the first game and held them when it counted for a lot of the 2nd game.

silentassassin
01-16-2013, 03:36 PM

Semantics, I guess.

I figured there was a difference between "a better team," and "the better team."

In most (if not all) cases, I've heard the player that's referring to his own team as the better of the two in a game use the latter.

Runner
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Maybe what he meant was that if they had been prepared to play, and if they came out with the intensity that this was a really, really important game, then they could cover a 9.5 point spread against the Patriots.

I'm not sure if I would agree though.

HOU-TEX
01-16-2013, 03:55 PM
From the looks of our last 2 meetings against them....they could roll out the same game plan and own us for the next 5 years. Lord knows Kubiak and Wade aren't going to change their ways any time soon.

Runner
01-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe he meant "better team" in the way they wear matching jackets and stuff.

Jules Winnfield
01-16-2013, 04:10 PM

typical tow the line company response.

nobody believes this dishonest crap.

ajohnson80
01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
this matchup is starting to feel like the colts kicking our butts year after year all we can do is bend over and ask for another...

Patriots are the final roadblock for this team to make the superbowl, and they better figure out a way to get better, because they are not better than the Patriots right now...Jjo is delusional he and the entire team coaches included needs to improve if we want to get to the next level. That kind of attitude saying they are a better team already ticks me off.

dream_team
01-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I do agree with the 4-5 plays part. There were about 5 extremely close plays, that if they went our way, we'd have a very very good chance at winning.

Double Barrel
01-16-2013, 05:24 PM
typical tow the line company response.

nobody believes this dishonest crap.

Is this da truth exploding all over Texans Talk?... :bubbles:

Hookem Horns
01-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Maybe what he meant was that if they had been prepared to play, and if they came out with the intensity that this was a really, really important game, then they could cover a 9.5 point spread against the Patriots.

I'm not sure if I would agree though.

Maybe he meant that the Texan's roster man by man is stronger. I actually would probably agree with that.

So what he is saying is trade Kubiak for Belicheck and Schaub for Brady and the Texans would have won. I can see his point.

:kitten:

michaelm
01-16-2013, 05:59 PM

On the page linked by silentassassin above, there is another link to the actual transcript from two days before:

CB Johnathan Joseph

(on what needs to change next year for the team to improve) “To be honest, I don’t really know because obviously we had the right guys in here to win 13 ball games to get us up to that point. Whatever reason we didn’t advance, I still can’t put that over because I think we were a better team, we just didn’t make the plays that needed to be made at the right time.”

I take it to mean he is saying they were a better team than the year before. I think he was taken completely out of context.
The entire transcript is made up of quotes referring to the state of the team in the 2012 season, with no specific questions about the Patriots, or either game against them.

He wasn't talking about the Patriots at all.

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Open-locker-room/6a2dd8c7-c338-415e-8e11-2c6d59f8fa48

thunderkyss
01-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Arizona beat New England 20-18, no one believes Arizona is even close to the same team New England is.

I don't have a problem with Joseph saying what he said, or the way he said it. I'd hate to think the majority of our guys didn't believe they were on the better team. You're right, they have to prove it, they failed, & everybody else knows they're not in the same league.

I hope they come together next season to prove that they are the best team in the NFL.

Double Barrel
01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
On the page linked by silentassassin above, there is another link to the actual transcript from two days before:

I take it to mean he is saying they were a better team than the year before. I think he was taken completely out of context.
The entire transcript is made up of quotes referring to the state of the team in the 2012 season, with no specific questions about the Patriots, or either game against them.

He wasn't talking about the Patriots at all.

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Open-locker-room/6a2dd8c7-c338-415e-8e11-2c6d59f8fa48

That makes a lot more sense. Context is everything.

Norg
01-16-2013, 06:29 PM
yeah on paper we have a better team but IMO its coaching on both sides we need to have the handcuffs off on both sides and More free flowing thats the difference between both teams IMO

boom boom
01-16-2013, 06:43 PM

hi, im a huge new england patriots fan but i wanted to join this forum just to say you texans fans have nothing to be ashamed of. you guys have a damn good football team on the verge of greatness. as a pats fan arian foster, jj watt, and andre johnson scare me. you guys had a tremendous year and are one of the best teams in football. your franchise has come a long way and is now a team to be reckoned with. congrats on a tremendous year winning the afc south and just look at your pro bowlers you have on your team. the texans have turned the corner and trust me as a patriots fan i respect you guys immensely and when tom brady and bill belichek hang it up and retire i truly believe the texans will be the next best dynasty in the nfl for years to come. congrats again houston texan fans on a tremendous year and best of luck in the future. now i pray tmy patriots can give the ravens a beating the same way the houston texans did when you guys dominated them. good luck texans fans and thanks for a trenedous hard fought football game.

boom boom
01-16-2013, 06:55 PM

hey jc, even though im a huge pats fan the texans have established an identity and trust me brother, they ware not too far from getting to a super bowl. your team has tremendous players and tremendous talent. arian, jj, and andre are beasts. congrats on a great year and next year you will dominate the afc south and almost all competition. keep your head up, and jj watt should be the mvp, he is that good. what a football player. congrats again on a great year

dalemurphy
01-16-2013, 06:58 PM

I get your point.

However, I think it depends on the context, because I hate that stuff too. I hate it after a game when a person is being a sore loser and not giving the opponent credit. However, if Joseph is being interviewed about the season and his reflection on the team going forward, I don't think he is being a sore loser in this situation.

Essentially, he is saying he believes in this team and is disappointed but hopeful going forward. I don't mind that. Besides, it is the coaches and front office who need to assess the team's talent and make up.

boom boom
01-16-2013, 07:03 PM
I get your point.

However, I think it depends on the context, because I hate that stuff too. I hate it after a game when a person is being a sore loser and not giving the opponent credit. However, if Joseph is being interviewed about the season and his reflection on the team going forward, I don't think he is being a sore loser in this situation.

Essentially, he is saying he believes in this team and is disappointed but hopeful going forward. I don't mind that. Besides, it is the coaches and front office who need to assess the team's talent and make up.

dale murphy got screwed. he has the same numbers as jim rice. hey dale congrats on a great year, the texans will be around for a while and will win the afc south for many years to come. good luck

Tailgate
01-16-2013, 07:07 PM
You guys are a great team. I just hope we can return the favor next year in Houston. Should be another hyped game.

boom boom
01-16-2013, 07:13 PM
You guys are a great team. I just hope we can return the favor next year in Houston. Should be another hyped game.

dont worry pal, you guys will be there agin next year. houston texans are for real. like i said, you guys are a damn good football team, and jj watt is a beast. bill belichek called him the best defensive player in the nfl, and pats owner robert kraft waited by the texans bus just to shake arian fosters hand. you guys had a tremendous year. 28 other teams would kill to be in the texans position. good luck

Texcore
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
There is a difference between confidence and ignorance. This is JJ being ignorant beyond reason. The Pats didn't just beat us twice, they whopped us. Brady tore our defense us.

I just hate attitudes like this. Admit you lost to the better team, and work to get better. Having this ignorant attitude that "we are still the better team" is BS. How is that motivation to do better next year. Pisses me right off...

Playoffs
01-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Is this da truth exploding all over Texans Talk?... :bubbles:

Compare his I.P. address.

ObsiWan
01-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Edit.

ObsiWan
01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
There is a difference between confidence and ignorance. This is JJ being ignorant beyond reason. The Pats didn't just beat us twice, they whopped us. Brady tore our defense us.

I just hate attitudes like this. Admit you lost to the better team, and work to get better. Having this ignorant attitude that "we are still the better team" is BS. How is that motivation to do better next year. Pisses me right off...
Joseph was not commenting on the Patriots at all but on the state of this team. He was not asked about the Patriots but what changes needed to be made to our team. He simply said we needed to make a few more plays in key situations and we might have advanced. Which may be true and may not.

Here is the whole quote in proper context. Find the word Patriots or any reference to that team...

CB Johnathan Joseph
(on what needs to change next year for the team to improve) “To be honest, I don’t really know because obviously we had the right guys in here to win 13 ball games to get us up to that point. Whatever reason we didn’t advance, I still can’t put that over because I think we were a better team, we just didn’t make the plays that needed to be made at the right time.”

(on if the team lost its edge in the last month of the regular season) “I don’t think so. Like I just said, it comes down to making plays. Any time you’re in a big game, each ball game comes down to four or five ball plays at the end of the game. At the end, if the other team makes more than you, that’s what the end result usually is, a loss.”

(on the biggest thing he will take away from this season) “Just get better. Obviously, we took a step from last year, I think, with our young guys stepping up. I just think we have to build on that and just continue to go forward.”

(on if he sees the core talent on the roster continue to get better) “Absolutely. It’s just important for the younger guys to understand that if they’re on the team, how important you are. Each man that’s holding a position on the team has had some value. I think for the most part all the young guys understood that and took care of their business. But it’s all about getting everybody on board and on ship. I think just another off-season will us with the young guys that weren’t caught up to speed.”

(on what he’ll be doing between now and the Pro Bowl) “Watching TV, playing video games, playing with my son. Nothing else.”

nfl.com is just trying to generate web-hits...
Joseph ought to sue for misrepresentation.

Playoffs
01-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Joseph was not commenting on the Patriots at all but on the state of this team...

Oh, the drama. Somebody's trying to make a...

http://englishexams.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/mountain-out-of-a-molehill11.jpg
...mountain out of a molehill

Texcore
01-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Joseph was not commenting on the Patriots at all but on the state of this team. He was not asked about the Patriots but what changes needed to be made to our team. He simply said we needed to make a few more plays in key situations and we might have advanced. Which may be true and may not.

Here is the whole quote in proper context. Find the word Patriots or any reference to that team...

nfl.com is just trying to generate web-hits...
Joseph ought to sue for misrepresentation.

The whole "making a few plays" can be said in every game ever played in this league. We have the inherent benefit of being observers of the game we just saw. There are plays that couldn't be made simply because we are unable to make them. We saw that in two games against this team. And I for one as a Texan fan don't appreciate bloviating about a loss in a shoulda, woulda, coulda fashion. Man up, own up and and work to get better.

thunderkyss
01-16-2013, 09:28 PM
The whole "making a few plays" can be said in every game ever played in this league. We have the inherent benefit of being observers of the game we just saw. There are plays that couldn't be made simply because we are unable to make them. We saw that in two games against this team. And I for one as a Texan fan don't appreciate bloviating about a loss in a shoulda, woulda, coulda fashion. Man up, own up and and work to get better.

This is pathetic.

Texcore
01-16-2013, 11:23 PM
This is pathetic.

What, the truth? We freaking lost. No "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it.

Pathetic is turning a blind eye and not holding the team accountable.

Pathetic is making excuses for losses. Watt sure didn't make pathetic excuses. He said he's going to work his butt off and get better. They should all have that mindset.

MEGA SWATT
01-16-2013, 11:45 PM
They need to just close the mouth, work harder/smarter. All of them -players, coaches, GM/Owner.