PDA

View Full Version : Domanick Davis

Big B Texan Fan
06-15-2005, 04:58 AM
IF Davis has the breakout year we all want and expect him to have, 1400-1700 yards and 12+ TD's and minimal fumbles, then he's gonna be a HOT COMMODITY. He becomes a Restricted Free Agent (RFA) at seasons end if we don't sign him to a new deal between now and 03/01/06 then teams can submit an offer sheet on him. And if the Texans won't/can't match it, then he goes to one of those teams and we get that teams 1st and 3rd round pick (unless some other deal is hammered out) in the upcoming draft in late April. You become a RFA by signing a 3 year deal once drafted (I think, help me out Vinny). Most teams will sign their 3rd and 4th rounder to 3 year deals and then just wait and see what happens. I think Peek is a RFA as well as Ragone, not sure about those two guys though. I'd like to see what you guys think. With Morency in the wings would you be happy with the extra pix especially since next years draft is supposed to churn out 4-5 1st round OT prospects.

rittenhouserobz
06-15-2005, 06:46 AM
Morency is no spring chicken. Not to mention DD knows our system really well now. He is also reliable to a large degree. In the NFL, it is advisable to have two good RB's. Just ask Indy or Denver. I sure hope we resign DD. If he keeps improves his numbers by a little, gets injured less, and the Texans start to win more than they lose. He could be the first Texan in the HOF. IMHO

PapaL
06-15-2005, 07:42 AM
He could be the first Texan in the HOF. IMHO
Either you have one amazing crystal ball or are getting just a little ahead of yourself. HOF? Still has a VERY long way to go.

TheGus
06-15-2005, 08:25 AM
I dont know why ya'll think DD is so bad. He finished over a thousand despite injury. He still finished as one of the top ten RBS, what do you guys want? He'll get to 1,400 is he's healthy.

dalemurphy
06-15-2005, 08:53 AM
IF Davis has the breakout year we all want and expect him to have, 1400-1700 yards and 12+ TD's and minimal fumbles, then he's gonna be a HOT COMMODITY. He becomes a Restricted Free Agent (RFA) at seasons end if we don't sign him to a new deal between now and 03/01/06 then teams can submit an offer sheet on him. And if the Texans won't/can't match it, then he goes to one of those teams and we get that teams 1st and 3rd round pick (unless some other deal is hammered out) in the upcoming draft in late April. You become a RFA by signing a 3 year deal once drafted (I think, help me out Vinny). Most teams will sign their 3rd and 4th rounder to 3 year deals and then just wait and see what happens. I think Peek is a RFA as well as Ragone, not sure about those two guys though. I'd like to see what you guys think. With Morency in the wings would you be happy with the extra pix especially since next years draft is supposed to churn out 4-5 1st round OT prospects.

Shaun Alexander, Edgerin James, Travis Henry were all made very available by their teams for trade and nobody was willing to part with a 2nd round pick for any of them... I doubt that anyone would sign Davis away from us if we tender him an offer- teams rarely do in those cases.

nunusguy
06-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Good RBs are the least difficult commodity to come by in the NFL. It is still
surprising to me that 3 of the first 5 overall in this years college draft were
RBs, even considering it was a weak draft in general. Therefor, I wouldn't worry too much about where DD plays in the NFL in future years.

Blake
06-15-2005, 10:49 AM
I think Domanick deserves a multi-year, multi-million contract from us. He came in as a 4th round draft pick, and tore it up. He is still giving 100% and playing for 4th round money. He isnt complaining about a new contract. He is working for it. I think that is a model player. One you want to keep around.

infantrycak
06-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I think Domanick deserves a multi-year, multi-million contract from us. He came in as a 4th round draft pick, and tore it up. He is still giving 100% and playing for 4th round money. He isnt complaining about a new contract. He is working for it. I think that is a model player. One you want to keep around.

Without even getting into exactly how good DD is, I agree with this philosophy generally with player/cap management. Go to DD now with a 5 year $10 mil deal instead of after he gets his 3rd 1000 yd season or even worse stays healthy the entire season and puts up 1400 yds on the ground and 600 in the air--numbers which are clearly easily within his reach if healthy. Then the Texans are looking at 5 years $25 mil.

rittenhouserobz
06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Either you have one amazing crystal ball or are getting just a little ahead of yourself. HOF? Still has a VERY long way to go.

Look at all the Texans so far. Carr has been okay, but not great up til now. AJ also has a great chance to make the HOF if he contiues to improve, but he would probably retire after DD.

DD has performed well each year in the league. The OL is a solid run blocking OL and will improve; furthermore Capers likes running the ball. With an improved line, if he plays 10 years and gets 10, 000 yards in that time with say 150 TDS, then that is impressive to me. The greatest part of my post is "could". Only time will tell this story. I am just projecting what I think could happen.

Lucky
06-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Then the Texans are looking at 5 years $25 mil.
Why would Davis accept less than this? Heck, Lamont Jordan got more from the Raiders and he's never had a 1000 yard season in 4 years. If DD has a DD season, he'll be looking at a 5 year $25 mil from someone. $5 million/year is below the franchise tag number, that's about right for Davis if you think about it.

infantrycak
06-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Why would Davis accept less than this? Heck, Lamont Jordan got more from the Raiders and he's never had a 1000 yard season in 4 years. If DD has a DD season, he'll be looking at a 5 year $25 mil from someone. $5 million/year is below the franchise tag number, that's about right for Davis if you think about it.

Maybe we are on crossed wires here. The difference I am making is signing him to an extension now vs. after his 3rd season. Right now reviews are mixed on him with some people not thinking he is even a legitimate starter and should be relegated to 3rd down duty and others thinking he is a top third RB. In that situation, with another rookie pushing and the benefit of getting a new contract and more importantly new signing bonus now as opposed to a year from now, I can see the Texans getting him signed at a lower price than waiting a year. On the other hand, wait the year while he has a DD year of 1400 yds, etc. and he will know or think he is the man and demand and get big money from someone.

beerlover
06-15-2005, 12:38 PM
the key sticking point will be the guaranteed portion of the contract & signing bonus. I would hope that the Texans have no problem with even 30 million over 5 years just how much would be in bonus, how much guaranteed and how much incentives? I sincerely expect the Texans will lock DD up to a cap friendly, market fair contract that benifits both parties :cool:

El Tejano
06-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Man just hearing about how much he could get has got me hyped for this season, thinking of the damage he will do because of that and the fact that he will now be in his 3rd year in the league.

Mr Shush
06-15-2005, 12:52 PM
If he keeps improves his numbers by a little, gets injured less,

Backs get less healthy as their careers go on, not more. He might have one or two more seasons of continued slight numerical improvement, but it'll be all downhill from there. Davis is not a Smith or a Payton or a Bettis or a Martin who will be able to carry the ball 300 plus times a season for a decade and more. My guess is that if he gets a lot of carries this year and stays more-or-less healthy, it will be a slight statistical improvement on last year, and that that will be the best year he ever has. If that is the case, hopefully the running back market won't be quite so saturated next year as this and we might manage to trade him for a bottom first or high second (he does have the advantage over James, Alexander and Henry that he doesn't yet have too much wear on the tires). We will be ripping someone off if we do. Morency's age would be a concern if we were looking for him to be a guy who could be the bedrock of our running game for a decade. In reality, if he's productive as part of a rotation for five or six years, and stops Davis holding us over a barrel at the end of the season, he'll have been a very good pick-up.

But mark my words, if Davis is ever, at any point in his entire career, going to have trade value, it will be at the end of this season.

If we want to keep him, we should wind him back down to 250 touches. If we want to trade him, we should give him the ball as much as we did last year, perhaps a little more.

Vinny
06-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I think Domís a nice back but those who are trashing the Morency pick need to understand that if Dom goes down our entire downhill power running game goes in the dumper for what we hope is a playoff push this year. Everything we planned all summer is toast if we roll into the season with last years depth (and Dom goes down). Morency was needed badly (I wanted one of the top 3 backs if they fell in the draft). No way a legitimate properly stocked running team can be taken seriously as a playoff contender with paper thin depth at a position that tends to have lots of injuries. If you want to argue that Jon Wells can make our offense explosive enough to win in the playoffs, Iíd say he hasnít shown it yet. Just look at some other franchises. The Broncos have a new 1000 yard runner every year and they also stock their teams deep with backs. I donít think the Texans will be a slave to an overpayment at this position when you have a player that has a higher injury risk. The Texans saw big talent sitting there in the 3rd round. Believe it or not, they took talent in Morency. If Hollings is over his injury bug (he will have to prove it), we could have one of the deepest most talented backfields in the NFL. One injury shouldnít kill any shot we have now. Davis will get paid. It will all play out right before our eyes this season and in the NFL things can change in a hurry. Personally, I think he is going to be here for a while, but you never know.

beerlover
06-15-2005, 01:18 PM
I think Domís a nice back but those who are trashing the Morency pick need to understand that if Dom goes down our entire downhill power running game goes in the dumper for what we hope is a playoff push this year. Everything we planned all summer is toast if we roll into the season with last years depth. Morency was needed badly (I wanted one of the top 3 backs if they fell in the draft). No way a legitimate properly stocked running team can be taken seriously as a playoff contender with paper thin depth at a position that tends to have lots of injuries. If you want to argue that Jon Wells can make our offense explosive enough to win in the playoffs, Iíd say he hasnít shown it yet. Just look at some other franchises. The Broncos have a new 1000 yard runner every year and they also stock their teams deep with backs. I donít think the Texans will be a slave to an overpayment at this position when you have a player that has a higher injury risk. The Texans saw big talent sitting there in the 3rd round. Believe it or not, they took talent in Morency. If Hollings is over his injury bug (he will have to prove it), we could have one of the deepest most talented backfields in the NFL. One injury shouldnít kill any shot we have now. Davis will get paid. It will all play out right before our eyes this season and in the NFL things can change in a hurry. Personally, I think he is going to be here for a while, but you never know.

vintage Vinny, very acute readable post :bowdown:

yeah we almost got Cedric didnt we? ha ha ha 3 rb's in the top 10 picks so if Morency is the real deal a 3rd rd pick is a steal....I get that logic. Morency was graded higher than Ryan Moats (went #77) another DD type of back I really liked. getting back to Domanick he has proven that when healthy he can carry a team & be prime time. his receiving skills out of the backfield add verstiltiy and longevity to his game. his health is the key sticking point to his explosivness, generally I would consider him to be very sure handed. so if he stays healthy, doesn't turn the ball over DD is going to have a huge season with little playing time for the Morency or anyone else for that matter :cool:

Double Barrel
06-15-2005, 01:23 PM
I want to see DD go a full 16 game season before putting him in the HOF.

Don't get me wrong, I see a lot of great potential in him and I've rooted for him since he took the field as a rookie, but seriously, I'm having strong doubts that he's got the stamina to make it an entire season.

Hopefully, all of our backs work well in a platoon system, so they keep them all fresh and give experience to everyone.

Vinny
06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
I hope there is a day when we can have two Dom threads at the top of this forum and at least one of them spell his name right.

infantrycak
06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Backs get less healthy as their careers go on, not more. He might have one or two more seasons of continued slight numerical improvement, but it'll be all downhill from there.

Nice theory completely unsubstantiated or heck even in accordance with facts:

Curtis Martin missed games in each of his 1st four years in the league--guess downhill from there was not having missed a game in the 6 seasons since.

Alexander missed 4 games in his 1st year as a starter and has missed 1 game since.

Dillon missed games in each of his 1st two seasons as a starter before going 3 years until he missed another.

Really love this one--Portis missed more starts in each of his 1st two seasons while carrying the ball under 300 times than he did in his 3rd while carrying the ball 350 times.

Fragile Fred--well they should have just retired him, it was obviously all down hill for him. 4 injury plagued seasons before 3 almost injury free seasons.

RB's get hurt so like Vinny said, having a RB stable is a good idea but good lord, they aren't Dixie cups--step on them once and then dispose.

TexansNeedRBin05
06-15-2005, 01:52 PM
FINALLY THEY HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO ME! TRADE DOMANICK OR GET A 3RD AND 1ST FOR HIM I like that! :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

Blake
06-15-2005, 01:59 PM
I hope there is a day when we can have two Dom threads at the top of this forum and at least one of them spell his name right.

That is too much.

Maybe just stick with DD, or Dom Davis.

Grid
06-15-2005, 03:08 PM
yes.. lets all hope that DD gets a 2000 yard season so that we can trade him for a 1st rounder and draft a young unproven back who will be X100 better.

.......... :dangit:

If DD does well next season and stays healthy.. he is going to get a fat contract and we can look forward to having his skills for years to come. If he does badly.. he will get a not so fat contract and we can look forward to having him as a very good backup for years to come.

what you WONT see.. is DD leaving Houston. Thank god.

Seriously.. are you a fan of this team or not? cause I dont understand how anyone can look forward to trading a player like DD who has come in for us and given 110%.. and improved our offense ten fold.

Hes young.. and hes VERY talented.. you should be hoping that he has a good season and proves that he can be an every down back.. so that we can benefit from his abilities in the future.. not so that we can trade him for someone else.

Maybe if AJ has a really good season we can trade him for T.O... maybe if Carr has a good season we can trade him for a 1st rounder and get Matt Lienert.. maybe if Dunta has a good season we can trade him for Bailey.. why does ANYONE want to trade our young talent? good teams do not toss away talent.. they develop it.

Seriously.. if you are a fan of this team.. you should consider supporting our players so that our team can improve.. not so that we can trade them away and get whoever it is you have a man-crush on.

awtysst
06-15-2005, 04:28 PM
He could be the first Texan in the HOF. IMHO

Before the Hall of Fame, he needs to be a probowler. To be a probowler he needs to hang onto t he ball an avoid injury for a full season. I think DD is a great back, but Hall of Fame is a a group of players that are head and shoulders above their peers. I thought Haywood Jeffries was a great receiver, but I dont think he is a hall of famer by any stretch of the imagination. Its far too early to project DD as anything.

Jwwillis
06-15-2005, 08:04 PM
As I recall the average career span for a RB in the NFL is 5yrs. It may have increased since I heard that stat but it does make you wonder how much will be left after yr.4.

Lucky
06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
As I recall the average career span for a RB in the NFL is 5yrs...
But what is the average career span for any NFL player? Some guys don't last long because they're not NFL caliber. I'd like to see a study on the average career span for a RB who gains 1000 yards in a season once in his career. Or twice. And so on. My guess is that the better the RB, the longer the career span.

infantrycak
06-15-2005, 09:07 PM
As I recall the average career span for a RB in the NFL is 5yrs. It may have increased since I heard that stat but it does make you wonder how much will be left after yr.4.

Lucky hit the nail on the head. Lots of guys never make it past year 1 or 2. Even more never had a 1000 yd season. Less than 20 RB's out of over 1500 that have ever tried to make it in the NFL have started their careers with 2 1000 yd campaigns and none of them failed to get to a pro-bowl at some point. (Before you say it--none made it before the advent of the 16 game season--just one split the transition) DD may never make it to the pro-bowl or or be an elite back (and frankly I don't care as long as he is in the effective but 6-12th best RB range) but I will bet his career lasts over 5 years.

bigtex77
06-15-2005, 09:52 PM
FINALLY THEY HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO ME! TRADE DOMANICK OR GET A 3RD AND 1ST FOR HIM I like that!

How ignorant is this? :brickwall Why don't you start your very own thread, call it "I Hate DD" and then post over and over again about how bad he is and how he fumbles too much. Then, when he rushes for a few more 1000 yard seasons and makes the Pro Bowl, the rest of us will have something to go back and laugh at.

TexansNeedRBin05
06-16-2005, 01:30 AM
How ignorant is this? :brickwall Why don't you start your very own thread, call it "I Hate DD" and then post over and over again about how bad he is and how he fumbles too much. Then, when he rushes for a few more 1000 yard seasons and makes the Pro Bowl, the rest of us will have something to go back and laugh at.

I really dont say he fumbles all that much and I dont hate him as a person hes just a crappy back! :)

Davis37
06-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I really dont say he fumbles all that much and I dont hate him as a person hes just a crappy back! :)

How does a back that runs for over 1000 yards and catches 68 passes for almost 600 yards be a crappy back? Every one of your posts says that DD sucks, but you give no reason why he sucks. Support your statements with facts.

Big B Texan Fan
06-16-2005, 02:38 AM
I was hoping you wouldn't notice this thread. "Crappy Back"?? Really. You REALLY think he's a Crappy Back. I mean Ryan Leaf was a crappy QB, Matt Stevens was a crappy FS, or let me guess, you've got DD juuuust a half a notch above those guys. Crappy....? C'mon dude.

Big B Texan Fan
06-16-2005, 04:34 AM
Is'nt your location---In "da" kitchen? :violin

dalemurphy
06-16-2005, 05:30 AM

Okay, you are everything that is wrong with professional sports fans today. It's not that your opinionated or harsh. It's the fact that you are opinionated, harsh, and yet remarkably ignorant too. You don't understand the game of football, obviously, and yet you are passionate enough about it to spend your time on message boards. I'm sure you boo your own team without real provocation and take each loss with personal offense, as if the team's performance or the game's outcome has anything to do with you.

infantrycak
06-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Is'nt your location---In "da" kitchen? :violin

Isn't your question--"isn't your location?"

Sorry, had to do it. :cool:

Vinny
06-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Is'nt your location---In "da" kitchen? :violinYou know, there is a difference between redundantly misspelling a man's name and a little humorous text in my title. You guys never cease to amaze me with how petty groups of people are when in anonymous, faceless groups. Frankly, I didn't even put that in my title....Khari did, and she is more educated than everyone here probably....she just has a sense of humor. Misspelling Dom's name over and over is kind of disrespectful.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
06-16-2005, 10:47 AM

Guys,

Anybody that has ....needs a "RBin05" in their screen name can not have a very complex thought process to leap to hating the Texans starting running back.

Besides, it is good to see the technique of "jumping to solution" is still alive and well in our youth. Although I am getting tired of seeing it manifest itself over and over and over and over.... :banme

jppaul
06-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Shaun Alexander, Edgerin James, Travis Henry were all made very available by their teams for trade and nobody was willing to part with a 2nd round pick for any of them... I doubt that anyone would sign Davis away from us if we tender him an offer- teams rarely do in those cases.

Not to mention that the upcoming year is goning to have a very good running back class with Reggie Bush and Deangelo Williams at the fore.

cadahnic
06-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Man Jppaul could you imagine reggie bush in the backfield with our team. Man it just makes me sing. Anyway it is not gonna happen, but it is a great thought. DD is quickly becoming one of the premier backs in this league and if he has another good year and we do not sign him we dont have to worry because some other team will take him, or we will have to use the franchise tender on him in two years. The kid can play and we are lucky to have such a good young RB.

TexansNeedRBin05
06-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Okay, you are everything that is wrong with professional sports fans today. It's not that your opinionated or harsh. It's the fact that you are opinionated, harsh, and yet remarkably ignorant too. You don't understand the game of football, obviously, and yet you are passionate enough about it to spend your time on message boards. I'm sure you boo your own team without real provocation and take each loss with personal offense, as if the team's performance or the game's outcome has anything to do with you.

I disagree 110% with that #1 It not that hard for an NFL back to get 1,000 yds. That was back when there were only 14 Games now the mark would have about 1,200-1,500 (also RB are getting better and so are the linemen.) #2 That really hurts when people like John Green from Detriot throw beer on people and your saying just because I Disagree with you I am "are everything that is wrong with professional sports fans today." #3 Why the hell would I boo the Texans I love them (even DD I cheer for him) even though he is not very good. Just a question to you does the teams performance have anything to do with any of us?

hellojohnnyboi
06-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Honestly, I think if DD doesn't carry for over 1,000 I would consider trading, releasing him. I think V. Morency is going to be the Texan's back of the future....getting someone like LT or Shaun Alexander would be nice too.

Also I think we need to give Jammal Lord a chance during camp and pre season at RB.

^^^^^I love that guy

Tell me what you think.

Vinny
06-16-2005, 01:28 PM
I think its not going to happen. Start a thread if you want to talk about it. Try to stay on topic. Just a reminder. :cool:

TexansNeedRBin05
06-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Honestly, I think if DD doesn't carry for over 1,000 I would consider trading, releasing him. I think V. Morency is going to be the Texan's back of the future....getting someone like LT or Shaun Alexander would be nice too.

Also I think we need to give Jammal Lord a chance during camp and pre season at RB.

^^^^^I love that guy

Tell me what you think.

Morency is pretty old already at 25. 3rd Round picks arent usually Franchise Backs but we shall see.

Vinny
06-16-2005, 01:39 PM
25 is not old and he has plenty of tread on his tires.

dalemurphy
06-16-2005, 02:09 PM
I disagree 110% with that #1 It not that hard for an NFL back to get 1,000 yds. That was back when there were only 14 Games now the mark would have about 1,200-1,500 (also RB are getting better and so are the linemen.) #2 That really hurts when people like John Green from Detriot throw beer on people and your saying just because I Disagree with you I am "are everything that is wrong with professional sports fans today." #3 Why the hell would I boo the Texans I love them (even DD I cheer for him) even though he is not very good. Just a question to you does the teams performance have anything to do with any of us?

I never argued that DD was good because he rushed for 1000 yards. I responded to your ridiculous claim that "DD sucks". He's not Tomlinson but I'm not going to hold that against him. He works hard. He produces. What about that is reason for saying that he sucks?

TexansNeedRBin05
06-16-2005, 02:12 PM
I never argued that DD was good because he rushed for 1000 yards. I responded to your ridiculous claim that "DD sucks". He's not Tomlinson but I'm not going to hold that against him. He works hard. He produces. What about that is reason for saying that he sucks?

He is Slow and Small which results in him not being able to hit the fast enough and he cant make his own hole. Just not effect Runner and I felt are Zone blocking got ALOT better toward the end of the year.

Jwwillis
06-16-2005, 02:16 PM
But what is the average career span for any NFL player? Some guys don't last long because they're not NFL caliber. I'd like to see a study on the average career span for a RB who gains 1000 yards in a season once in his career. Or twice. And so on. My guess is that the better the RB, the longer the career span.

Ok stats guru's what were the career spans of:

Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
OJ Simpson
Jim Brown

4 of the top rushers in NFL History and HOFers

Vinny
06-16-2005, 02:16 PM
He is Slow and Small which results in him not being able to hit the fast enough and he cant make his own hole.Dom's not small...he's short. He is plenty quick enough to find the hole. Your arguments are weak...and I'm not even one of the guys who oppose your argument.

infantrycak
06-16-2005, 02:18 PM
He is Slow and Small which results in him not being able to hit the fast enough and he cant make his own hole. Just not effect Runner and I felt are Zone blocking got ALOT better toward the end of the year.

See here is part of the problem. You keep saying the same things and when people prove them wrong, eh, who cares, keep saying them anyway. It makes your rants look silly. DD is in no way small. Try looking up a few franchise backs like Emmitt Smith, LT, Holmes, Portis, etc. Asserting he is small is simply incorrect. On top of that, hitting the hole quickly is something most observers have as one of his strengths. It goes hand in hand with he has excellent quickness but a low top end speed. Got anything close to a valid reason for not liking him?

texan0305
06-16-2005, 02:23 PM
I think double d is going to have a strong season, he came on strong last year at the end of last season, he's not the most consistant back but if he can prove to be durable throughout the season i think he'll give the texans close to 1,300 yards, plus i believe it's his contract year so he has something to prove if a team is interested in picking him up via trade (since he's a restricted free agent) I think Tony Holling's time as a texan is numbered, i believe that morency will take his spot on the depth chart, so it's lookin like they'll keep 3 backs dd, morency, and wells. With the conservative style offense that the texans have shown to run they need a good to great running game if we're going to be talking playoffs in december,

Jwwillis
06-16-2005, 02:36 PM

Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
OJ Simpson
Jim Brown

ok answers:

Earl Played 9 season but only productive in 7 of them
Eric played a whopping 12 seasons
OJ was drafed in '69 and retired in '73 only 4 season ( knee trouble )
Jim Brown retired earlier than he needed to after 9 seasons.

So...anywhere from 4-12 yrs Dom is in his 3rd. I think the 5yr average is misleading.

Big B Texan Fan
06-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Morency is pretty old already at 25. 3rd Round picks arent usually Franchise Backs but we shall see.
Being 25 already is like failing a class back in grade school then spending all 4 years in college only to use an extra medical redshirt year cuz you got hurt. That puts you anywhere from 24-25 ish. That's not Morency's story but as far as age goes it's no different. Besides most players don't hit their NFL prime until 27-28 ish and it usually lasts until their 30-31 ish. Next time play Madden just look @ the age of some of the rookies you draft, some of them will be 24 because they try to make that game as real as possible (That is unless you do only Fantasy Draft with the Texans as your team and your 1st pick is LT or Alexander like I'm sure you do). Orlando Pace is 31 and were after him. Were you one of the ones frothin' @ tha mouth to get him?

TexansNeedRBin05
06-16-2005, 02:53 PM
See here is part of the problem. You keep saying the same things and when people prove them wrong, eh, who cares, keep saying them anyway. It makes your rants look silly. DD is in no way small. Try looking up a few franchise backs like Emmitt Smith, LT, Holmes, Portis, etc. Asserting he is small is simply incorrect. On top of that, hitting the hole quickly is something most observers have as one of his strengths. It goes hand in hand with he has excellent quickness but a low top end speed. Got anything close to a valid reason for not liking him?'

To be honest you havent proven anything wrong? Ill say hes not a small guy but he not big enough run people over like a Bettis Stanley etc.

jacquescas
06-16-2005, 02:54 PM
if they are old enough to drink we dont need them on our team, get them old guys out change the rule so we can draft right out of HS and trade everyone to stockpile picks.

repeat this process anytime the core group of players surpasses age 22. lather rinse repeat.

ojthecat
06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
ok answers:

OJ was drafed in '69 and retired in '73 only 4 season ( knee trouble )

OJ retired in 1979 with the 49ers. that would be a an 11 year carrer :excited:

TexansNeedRBin05
06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Being 25 already is like failing a class back in grade school then spending all 4 years in college only to use an extra medical redshirt year cuz you got hurt. That puts you anywhere from 24-25 ish. That's not Morency's story but as far as age goes it's no different. Besides most players don't hit their NFL prime until 27-28 ish and it usually lasts until their 30-31 ish. Next time play Madden just look @ the age of some of the rookies you draft, some of them will be 24 because they try to make that game as real as possible (That is unless you do only Fantasy Draft with the Texans as your team and your 1st pick is LT or Alexander like I'm sure you do). Orlando Pace is 31 and were after him. Were you one of the ones frothin' @ tha mouth to get him?

Yes I was Orlando Pace is NOT a Rookie and hes was like the 2nd overall pick in his Draft. Im not saying Morency is going to be bad I am saying hes a franchise RB.

infantrycak
06-16-2005, 04:17 PM
'

To be honest you havent proven anything wrong? Ill say hes not a small guy but he not big enough run people over like a Bettis Stanley etc.

For the second time it is Staley not Stanley.

Now we come to it--so you agree he isn't too small to be a franchise RB it is just he isn't your image of a franchise RB, i.e. one of the 2-4 largest RB's in the NFL. Try slamming Casserly and Capers for not liking/picking huge backs then instead of DD--they are the ones not conforming to your desire.

As for running over people, try going back to DD's either 1st run in the NFL or close to it--Zach Thomas will tell you DD can run over people. Once again, your complaint is about something DD actually does well and gets compliments for--run hard and gain extra yardage.

ojthecat
06-16-2005, 04:43 PM
I will tell you I thought that DD did a remarkable job in the last half of the season. After the fumble problems at the beginning he could have packed it away however I see a player with a remarkable heart and desire. He had to take a hard look in the mirror and adjust his self image. I am impressed.

Human Highlight Reel
06-16-2005, 05:49 PM
I didnt get to read all of the replies so I dont know if anybody is saying the same thing I'm saying so bear wit me here...

Can you imagine tho.. DD has a breakout season.. we get a 1st and 3rd round pick for him.. so now we have..

2-1st Rounders
1-2nd Rounder
3-3rd Rounders

I dont know about you guys but wit the way our draft team is performing we could possibly have one of the most amazing drafts in NFL history.. MAYBE..

We could get a First Round OL (Could Use an upgrade), Get a First Round Safety (Coleman is getting up there in years), Pick up a good TE in the 2nd (Forget that Joppru Bust), I'd Say grab another RB in the 3rd Round (Dont Act Like Capers and Co. cant find good RB in the 3-7 Round) then wit one of the other 3rds pick up another DL (Walker and Payne wont be around much longer) Then maybe get another OL here wit the other 3rd Pick (Couldnt Hurt)

TexansNeedRBin05
06-16-2005, 05:50 PM
For the second time it is Staley not Stanley.

Now we come to it--so you agree he isn't too small to be a franchise RB it is just he isn't your image of a franchise RB, i.e. one of the 2-4 largest RB's in the NFL. Try slamming Casserly and Capers for not liking/picking huge backs then instead of DD--they are the ones not conforming to your desire.

As for running over people, try going back to DD's either 1st run in the NFL or close to it--Zach Thomas will tell you DD can run over people. Once again, your complaint is about something DD actually does well and gets compliments for--run hard and gain extra yardage.

BS He gains NO extra yardage. First hit he is DOWN!

TheOgre
06-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
OJ Simpson
Jim Brown

Okay lets throw in
Emmitt Smith
Marcus Allen
Sweetness (Walter Payton for the ignorant youngsters)

while we are at it.

ojthecat
06-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Can you imagine tho.. DD has a breakout season.. we get a 1st and 3rd round pick for him

No way! Period. What did the vikes get for Moss?

Case closed. Shawn Alexander can't even get a 3rd round pick. You are dreaming or drinking :)

Grid
06-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Why are yall bothering to argue with RBin05? He is obviously an immature troll. He continues to make stupid comments that are in complete opposition of the facts.. and people continue to take them seriously.

Let it go... the guy is just being a punk.

TexansNeedRBin05
06-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Why are yall bothering to argue with RBin05? He is obviously an immature troll. He continues to make stupid comments that are in complete opposition of the facts.. and people continue to take them seriously.

Let it go... the guy is just being a punk.

No Sir Grid in a year yall will be saying "Oh RBin05 You were right DD stinks we got ________ Now he is sooooooo much better." Until then just try not to call me a troll!
:drool:

Grid
06-16-2005, 06:30 PM
No Sir Grid in a year yall will be saying "Oh RBin05 You were right DD stinks we got ________ Now he is sooooooo much better." Until then just try not to call me a troll!

you, sir, smoke entirely too much crack.

jr0ck
06-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by TexansNeedRBin05

i think i speak collectively for this enitre board when i say...PROVE IT!!!

edo783
06-16-2005, 11:02 PM
i think i speak collectively for this enitre board when i say...PROVE IT!!!

He can't. The more I see of his posts that make absoluty zero sense, the more I suspect him to be just a dipstick troll. Maybe, just maybe, he is just a youngster who likes sitting behind a keyboard where no one can or say anything to him and likes having people react to his posts. Either way, he comes off badly in the knowledge area.

texasguy346
06-16-2005, 11:22 PM
I don't think he's seen DD play very often. DD is very seldom taken down by the first guy.

Davis37
06-17-2005, 11:25 AM

You must not watch the Texans... DD rarely goes down on the first hit. He might break tackels like Jamal Lewis, but he does shed alot of blockers in the open field. Just because DD is not in the form ur YOUR ideal back, does not make him a crappy back. If you want to watch a team with a big power back, go watch the Steelers. That would work out great since ur so in love with Bettis and Staley (not Stanley)...

Big B Texan Fan
06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
:drool:
I thought I told you that you were a Super Troll. Let's get it right. :heh:

Big B Texan Fan
06-17-2005, 11:48 AM
You must not watch the Texans... DD rarely goes down on the first hit. He might break tackels like Jamal Lewis, but he does shed alot of blockers in the open field. Just because DD is not in the form ur YOUR ideal back, does not make him a crappy back. If you want to watch a team with a big power back, go watch the Steelers. That would work out great since ur so in love with Bettis and Staley (not Stanley)...
Hey TexansNeedRBin05--I went ahead and signed you up on the Steelers message boards.
I put your name as IHaveManCrushOnBettis. Your password is SuperTroll. I put your picture up of a ceramic yard knome (I think I spelled that right and if not I do not need to hear anything from since you can't even spell Duce Staley correctly). And for your saying at the bottom of your posts I put "I like big butts and I cannot lie".

Davis37
06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Hey TexansNeedRBin05--I went ahead and signed you up on the Steelers message boards.
I put your name as IHaveManCrushOnBettis. Your password is SuperTroll. I put your picture up of a ceramic yard knome (I think I spelled that right and if not I do not need to hear anything from since you can't even spell Duce Staley correctly). And for your saying at the bottom of your posts I put "I like big butts and I cannot lie".

hahahaha :highfive:

Cjeremy635
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM

Funny man....lol. He's only 15 so I'm sure he is consulting his upper classman friends on a witty comeback. But anyways, glad that someone set him straight. I love the witty banter... :survivor:

infantrycak
06-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Funny man....lol. He's only 15 so I'm sure he is consulting his upper classman friends on a witty comeback. But anyways, glad that someone set him straight. I love the witty banter... :survivor:

TexansNeedRBin05 is welcome here whatever his age. The Texans want this to be a place for all their fans. There is nothing about being 15 that means he can't have a valid opinion. Fiddy expressed himself well and backed up his opinions so well he was made a moderator.

Cjeremy635
06-17-2005, 02:25 PM
I think you misunderstood where I was coming from. Yeah, I know he's 15, nothing wrong with that...I was that age once as well. That has nothing to do with his ability to post an inteligent thread. But, maybe his maturity level does...age and maturity do not always go hand in hand. As far as Fiddy goes...good for his accomplishments, but I would bet he's an exception to the rule when it comes to views on sports and intelligent posts from a young fan.

DRIFTAWAY
06-17-2005, 02:28 PM

i'd be more then happy to see some video footage of that on more then a couple of occasions. And for all these people saying " after a breakout year lets trade him for a 1rst and 3rd". It won't be considered a breakout year, because we now expect that kind of performance from him, and also Shaun Alexander, who lost the rushing title by 1 yard, couldn't even be dealt for a 3rd rounder, and the Cardinals wouldn't even trade Shelton( whom they later released) for Travis Henry, a back that is very dominant and still in his prime, and no other team would send a 2nd or 3rd for him, so what makes you think we will get a 1rst and 3rd for DD? What even makes you think we would be willing to trade him in the first place?

Big B Texan Fan
06-17-2005, 03:01 PM
i'd be more then happy to see some video footage of that on more then a couple of occasions. And for all these people saying " after a breakout year lets trade him for a 1rst and 3rd". It won't be considered a breakout year, because we now expect that kind of performance from him, and also Shaun Alexander, who lost the rushing title by 1 yard, couldn't even be dealt for a 3rd rounder, and the Cardinals wouldn't even trade Shelton( whom they later released) for Travis Henry, a back that is very dominant and still in his prime, and no other team would send a 2nd or 3rd for him, so what makes you think we will get a 1rst and 3rd for DD? What even makes you think we would be willing to trade him in the first place?
For the record, most teams didn't want to trade for those guys (Alexander, Henry, and E. James) cuz they're so-called cancers in the locker rooms. Especially Henry. Also they would've had to take on they're contract and HOPE a new can be worked out or else they lose out on those guys and who they traded them for as well.
The new rule on DB's to minimize contact on the WR's has got some teams wanting to pass more so they'll shy away from trading for big name RB's.
And DD isn't really a trade (wel sort of) It's a RFA thing. If we don't lock him long term B-4 03/01/06, other teams can offer him a contract and if we don't match, he's a gonner. And I don't think we can Franchise Tag a RFA (someone help me out on that one). And in return we would get that particulars team 1st and 3rd round pick in the next draft. And other teams will (maybe just 1or2) cuz he is NOT a cancer to the team. That is kinda the risk you take when you sign guys to that kind of contract. Originally he was supposed to just return kicks and be a 3rd down back, noone knew he was gonna be our starting RB.
I don't want to see him go, I just wanted to bring to light the parameters of his contract and see what you guys thought. That's why I started this thread.

El Tejano
06-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Here is why I think DD will not be traded.

The FO has been wanting to build this team through the draft from day one, they aren't going to trade away a drafted player. :twocents:

Big B Texan Fan
06-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Here is why I think DD will not be traded.

The FO has been wanting to build this team through the draft from day one, they aren't going to trade away a drafted player. :twocents:
He's also too much of a fan favorite. Well @ least most fans, right TexansNeeRBin05? :rolleyes:

Caz
06-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Coming on to the message board more frequently I notice I may have jumped the gun when I ask when all Texan fans are down on DD. I have noticed going through this thread that there are only a few of you. One thing this board has showed me there are a few people here who will never be satisfied with what they got and thats understandable. We are all looking to get better.

What I say to you unhappy people is the same thing I said last time I wias on here. I would be happy as hell if the Steelers picked him up as a restricted free agent and gave up there 1st and 3rd. I want my team to upgrade too and I think DD is a lot better than anything we got and we went 15-1 last year. He would be just we we needed to get over that hump. I am not saying we will go 15-1 again (I can only hope), but I am saying that not many Steeler fans would complaing getting a back that young and talented.

So for the Steelers pick up that restricted free agent and win the superbowl and let them have the last pick in the first roung.

TexansTrueFan
06-17-2005, 10:00 PM

well if he has that kinda season why in the world would we wanna trade him in the first place ???? I mean it'll be his 3rd year and he's only getting better. Plus D.D was a steal in the draft and is a pretty solid running back whom i wouldnt mind staying and beign our starter for the next 10 years.

Big B Texan Fan
06-18-2005, 04:03 AM
well if he has that kinda season why in the world would we wanna trade him in the first place ???? I mean it'll be his 3rd year and he's only getting better. Plus D.D was a steal in the draft and is a pretty solid running back whom i wouldnt mind staying and beign our starter for the next 10 years.
It's not us trading him. It's how RFA worx. If another teams swoops in and offers him a contract that we cannot afford, then he's gone yet we get that teams 1st and 3rd.
It's not really a trade. It just resembles a trade. We have not really seen that here cuz Free Agency started only a couple years B-4 the Spoilers left then we were without a team (or followed the titans) and then since the Texans have been around, none of our RFA's were being sought by other teams.
We can only hope they (Casserky & Crew) sign long term B-4 the season ends. A trip to the ProBowl wouldn't hurt either.

jacquescas
06-18-2005, 05:23 AM
really i re-evaluated davis' numbers from the past season and i have to admit i was quite impressed.

302 carries for 1188 yards and 13 touchdowns
68 receptions for 588 yards and 2 touchdowns

total 370 touches for 1776 yards and 15 touchdowns..

for a second year 4th round pick that was considered small and with the absolute horror of our line and fledgeling offense it seems he has thrived. As our team gets better his numbers should improve. If his fumbling problem is over from last year he should have a markedly improved year.

He had a stretch at the start with 5 consecutive games with less than 56 rushing yards (including 1 missed game) over that 5 game stretch he totaled 124 yards. He also had 1 other game where he had less than 56 rushing yards. Needless to say with the improvements and experience of the offense and line he should not go through a stretch like that again, and barring injury should be one of the top backs in the AFC.

dalemurphy
06-18-2005, 11:31 AM
It's not us trading him. It's how RFA worx. If another teams swoops in and offers him a contract that we cannot afford, then he's gone yet we get that teams 1st and 3rd.
It's not really a trade. It just resembles a trade. We have not really seen that here cuz Free Agency started only a couple years B-4 the Spoilers left then we were without a team (or followed the titans) and then since the Texans have been around, none of our RFA's were being sought by other teams.
We can only hope they (Casserky & Crew) sign long term B-4 the season ends. A trip to the ProBowl wouldn't hurt either.

True, however it is very rare that a RFA is signed away when they've been offered any tender. Usually, it only happens with second day picks who are offered the lowest tender.

konyac3
06-18-2005, 12:21 PM
yo!!!!!!!!!!!!! what's up everyone .....i'm the newest member of the world of the TXans.....this is cool.....i'm in ft. worth surrounded by all these cowgirl fans who say they will beat us in the preseason in irving.............B.S..............i'm gonna try to make my way to the (BARN).... i mean texas stadium to piss off everyone in dallas.... i will have my jerzeys..... hatz...... beer koozies....pennants...and everything else blue and red so they put me on t.v. on pourpose......

Big B Texan Fan
06-19-2005, 04:14 AM
True, however it is very rare that a RFA is signed away when they've been offered any tender. Usually, it only happens with second day picks who are offered the lowest tender.
Yea, I know. It's just the possibility of it that scares me.
Can anyone tell me if Peek becomes one (RFA) after this season too. I don't think so but I'm not sure.

TexansTrueFan
06-19-2005, 12:59 PM
D.D is not going anywhere, we gave the late round draft pick a chance and he has flourished in our system. He does deserve more money which he will get next season. We wont let him get away from us.

nunusguy
06-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Can anyone tell me if Peek becomes one (RFA) after this season too. I don't think so but I'm not sure.
Ľ Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) - Players with four years or more of NFL experience who can sign with their own team or any other team in the NFL. If they leave their previous team the team that signs them can do so without having to award the previous team compensation.

Ľ Restricted Free Agents (RFA) - Players with three years of NFL experience. Like an unrestricted free agent they are free to negotiate with any team however the current team has the right to match any offer and if they do so they retain the rights to the player. Failure to meet the offer means the player is awarded to the new team but the new team must give the old team compensation in the form of draft picks.
http://kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/

Cjeremy635
06-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Though this was an intereseting write up for the DD "nay sayers". To those "fans" who still believe that we can have another back to contribute to our offense instead of DD, because you say he isn't productive enough.
DD had more total yards last year than Corey Dillon, Brian Westbrrok, and Ahman Green. All of these backs are well respected by there teams and contribute a lot to their teams success. It would be nice if some of our fans would start to look at him as the same caliber of player. :goodnight

mmontgo
06-20-2005, 02:49 PM
DD has to stay healthy. if you look at his stats he did not in his first season, but did better in the second....still, he seems to go down through the game and come up limping. I recall a couple times this year he started and did not finish the game.....that is why a guy like Shaun Alexander is so so awesome. He has missed only 5 games in 4 years (I think he has only missed one game in the last three years or so)!

This should be the season to tell us where we are with DD...if he can go 14 or 15 games...then he should have 15 TDS and close to 1300 yards or thereabouts....Still, I will bet that we will still be seeking a another co-RB in 1-2 years regardless of his season. He is not durable, though many are not and in this league that is a major commodity...so RB by committee is the key...ala Denver, Minnesota...etc. I am okay with DD in this role. He is something to watch...but needs a partner when he is coming up limping.

but, Shaun Alexander would have been interesting for the next 2-3 years. He is 27, proven, stays healthy and has a couple more years in him....

Big B Texan Fan
06-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Still, I will bet that we will still be seeking a another co-RB in 1-2 years regardless of his season.
We'll probably always draft a RB in every/every other year in the later rounds cuz Casserly is good @ unearthing those guys who'd be passed on otherwise.

TheGus
06-20-2005, 03:26 PM
4. Running back Domanick Davis of the Houston Texans had more total yards than:
A) Corey Dillon
B) Brian Westbrook
C) Ahman Green
D) Each of them
E) None of them

This is a question off NFL.com and the Answer is D. All of those RBS went to the playoffs.2 to the SB. So can we layoff that Houston needs a new RB. Because from the result of this question Domanick Davis is just fine :thumbup

ThaShark316
06-20-2005, 03:40 PM
And yet...the boards' biggest clown in "TexansneedaRBin05" will disagree with all of us.