PDA

View Full Version : What moves do you think will be made if any?

djohn2oo8
01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Kubiak's too loyal to Schaub to even think about any sort of replacement. What moves will be made?

ATXtexanfan
01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
none, wildcard next year. luck is for real

Thorn
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Rick Smith, Kubiak, Wade, and Schaub will all be back next year. If there are changes, it will be to someone other than those guys. Excluding our obvious stars of course. There will be some of the coaching staff leave, there always is.

Not that I like what I just said, but to think otherwise is foolish.

MEGA SWATT
01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
New quarterback.

MS is NOT going to take you past 2 and threw.

Texcore
01-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Kubiak's too loyal to Schaub to even think about any sort of replacement. What moves will be made?

Kubes will go down with the sinking ship that is Shaub.

I don't know who is coming out of college this year that is worth a good hard look, but I say screw it, and trade what picks you have for the rights to draft a top rookie QB.

kiwitexansfan
01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Schaub is NOT a great QB.

Might be hard to find an upgrade though.

Maybe we draft someone in the first couple of rounds to add some compeition?

Other than that we will keep building through the draft where we have done pretty well.

Showtime100
01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
McNair's tolerance/loyalty concerns me. As I said minutes ago in another thread, at some point the love needs to give way to sound business decisions. I don't think we will see them to the detriment of the team.

Bud was an arshole, Bob is too loyal. jmo.

ThaShark316
01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
none, wildcard next year. luck is for real

That defense ain't.

Colts going 9-7. They'll be in the playoffs tho maybe.

jaayteetx
Schaub is NOT a great QB.

Might be hard to find an upgrade though.

Maybe we draft someone in the first couple of rounds to add some compeition?

Other than that we will keep building through the draft where we have done pretty well.

Your Avatar is a joke...right?

Vinny
What moves will be made?

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Thorn
01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
McNair's tolerance/loyalty concerns me. As I said minutes ago in another thread, at some point the love needs to give way to sound business decisions. I don't think we will see them to the detriment of the team.

Bud was an arshole, Bob is too loyal. jmo.

That's true, it would be nice to have someone in between. But if you had a choice, I'll bet you'd take Bob over Bud any day. I know I would.

Goodwrench3
Draft a CB and WR

ATXtexanfan
That defense ain't.

dude they were one game behind us.

Showtime100
01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
That's true, it would be nice to have someone in between. But if you had a choice, I'll bet you'd take Bob over Bud any day. I know I would.

Yes indeed, Thorn. Bob all the way. No question. :smiliedance:

fiasco west
01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
We'll see. Way too early to tell.

I doubt Wade/Kubiak/Smith go.

Maybe the OC will change and definitely some of the lower coaches.

Personnel wise there has to be moves. They've always done well there, if it wasn't for the cap though.

Mr. Texan
01-13-2013, 07:53 PM
not a damn thing.

the qb draft this year looks a little weak.

probably go OL, WR, LB

fiasco west
01-13-2013, 07:53 PM
dude they were one game behind us.

Even some colts fans will tell you they've had a really fortunate season. I can't believe any one will be handing them the title.

We've seen a lot of teams have one good season then crash back to earth the next.

Texcore
01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
That defense ain't.

You'd be foolish to think that team will not improve from their current state. We one one freaking game more than they did. And we split the series. We need to fear the enemy and know they are on the verge of building a great team with the next great QB in this league. We need to act now or watch this team waste its talent...

gafftop
01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Draft a CB and WR

If MS is the QB I don't really know if a WR is top priority. MS would not be able to take full advantage of a really good WR. MS just does not see field anymore and a long threat would be wasted on him. I think our best bet with MS as QB may be more defense. Just my opinion.

cdollaz
01-13-2013, 07:58 PM
I don't think we know yet the type of owner Bob will be, but we will find out over the next few years. Is he the type who is going to demand excellence And continued improvement, or is he going to be the type that is OK with a modicum of success.

Hopefully it is the former, as I do not want our team to be another Chargers/Norv Turner-type situation.

MEGA SWATT
01-13-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't think we know yet the type of owner Bob will be, but we will find out over the next few years. Is he the type who is going to demand excellence And continued improvement, or is he going to be the type that is OK with a modicum of success.

Hopefully it is the former, as I do not want our team to be another Chargers/Norv Turner-type situation.

Here is your answer.

fiasco west
I don't think we know yet the type of owner Bob will be, but we will find out over the next few years. Is he the type who is going to demand excellence or is he going to be the type that is OK with a modicum of success.

The Chargers are what you DON'T want to do.

They got rid of a goodcoach for one that has taken the team backwards every year after that. The Chargers did what some people are asking the Texans to do by getting rid of Kubiak.

Vinny

We're the Bengals classier, richer cousin.

ATXtexanfan
01-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Even some colts fans will tell you they've had a really fortunate season. I can't believe any one will be handing them the title.

We've seen a lot of teams have one good season then crash back to earth the next.

so you expect schaub to get better and luck regress? one game difference this year

fiasco west
01-13-2013, 08:10 PM
so you expect schaub to get better and luck regress? one game difference this year

No, Football is a team game though. You act like the Texans don't have elite players on the field. The Colts have one in Reggie Wayne.

Luck is not a elite player. Success is not guaranteed for him.

Perhaps Schaub is not going to get better. But Watt is a 2nd year player. The league better hopes he doesn't get better. Foster is still around. Andre is still around. Cushing will be back. You don't believe in those guys? Maybe the right side of the Oline will be back.

Point is, the team can get better.

Vinny
01-13-2013, 08:12 PM
No, Football is a team game though. You act like the Texans don't have elite players on the field. The Colts have one in Reggie Wayne.

Luck is not a elite player. Success is not guaranteed for him.

Perhaps Schaub is not going to get better. But Watt is a 2nd year player. The league better hopes he doesn't get better. Foster is still around. Andre is still around. Cushing will be back. You don't believe in those guys? Maybe the right side of the Oline will be back.

Point is, the team can get better.He sure looks like a budding elite player to me.

fiasco west
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
He sure looks like a budding elite player to me.

He has the potential but if he were to never get better you're taking him over true elite QBs?

I mean if we are calling him elite it pretty much means you wouldn't trade him for anyone for that single season. He has a ways to go to be a elite QB in the NFL.

We've seen rookies have a good year and then don't follow it up on it. Cam had an amazing rookie year for instance...

Naiirb
01-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Hopefully they do something about our pass rush. Our OLB's really stinked it up this year.

Vinny
01-13-2013, 08:21 PM
He has the potential but if he were to never get better you're taking him over true elite QBs?

I mean if we are calling him elite it pretty much means you wouldn't trade him for anyone for that single season. He has a ways to go to be a elite QB in the NFL.

We've seen rookies have a good year and then don't follow it up on it. Cam had an amazing rookie year for instance...Cam finished pretty darn well and I'd take him in a heartbeat. I've been watching the game since the early 70's....dude looks pretty promising to me. I don't think he's Gifford Neilson. Wish what you want though...

ObsiWan
01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
I think the OP was asking about the Texans, not southern California or the U.S. Congress.
:D

Hervoyel
01-13-2013, 08:24 PM
I think the Texans might look at a free agent WR. I'm not saying we won't draft a WR but I think we won't draft one early. I think we go OL or LB in the first. The right side of the OL killed us all year long and Rashad Butler isn't gonna make it all better when he comes back. The Texans platooned the RG position all year long for a reason and I think that's because nobody claimed the spot outright. They'll go get more help there.

LB speaks for itself. Past Cushing we've got issues on the inside. James and Ruud are both good players but they're older and not going to be here long. I'm positive we go get another ILB. Maybe we get a RG or ILB in free agency but I think more likely draft there.

PapaL
01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
This is ridiculous. Luck in year 1 is the best QB in the AFC South. Worst part is he will only get better.

Vinny
01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
I think the Texans might look at a free agent WR. I'm not saying we won't draft a WR but I think we won't draft one early. I think we go OL or LB in the first. The right side of the OL killed us all year long and Rashad Butler isn't gonna make it all better when he comes back. The Texans platooned the RG position all year long for a reason and I think that's because nobody claimed the spot outright. They'll go get more help there.

LB speaks for itself. Past Cushing we've got issues on the inside. James and Ruud are both good players but they're older and not going to be here long. I'm positive we go get another ILB. Maybe we get a RG or ILB in free agency but I think more likely draft there.agree with all of that but this slow, plodding offense needs speed, speed, speed. It was embarrassing watching this team nickle and dime it down the field without any ability to go deep. They need a Speed WR and some quickness in the slot in a big way.

fiasco west
01-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Cam finished pretty darn well and I'd take him in a heartbeat. I've been watching the game since the early 70's....dude looks pretty promising to me. I don't think he's Gifford Neilson. Wish what you want though...

Well if the question was would you take Cam over Schaub I'd be surprised if anyone would take Schaub.

But we are talking about if the Colts will be better than the Texans next year. Not how many QBs we'd take over Schaub. It's not wishing anything either, it's he hasn't proven it yet. People think he's the next Peyton Manning, that's hopeful wishing if anything.

Meanwhile the Texans have a lot more proven quantities, especially a 2nd year player that had one of the best years ever as a defensive player. The Colts should be worry about that guy because he's a top player in the NFL right now.

TexanBacker93
01-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Kubes will go down with the sinking ship that is Shaub.

I don't know who is coming out of college this year that is worth a good hard look, but I say screw it, and trade what picks you have for the rights to draft a top rookie QB.

I don't think there is a single QB worthy of trading picks for. The top QBs could still be on the board at the end of the 1st round, but I'm not sold on any of them being a long term answer.

amazing80
01-13-2013, 08:30 PM
sadly not much

fiasco west
01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't think there is a single QB worthy of trading picks for. The top QBs could still be on the board at the end of the 1st round, but I'm not sold on any of them being a long term answer.

People weren't sold on Russell Wilson either.

I wouldn't be mad at the team for taking a shot at a QB, especially if one of the top 5 falls to us.

TexanBacker93
01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
This is ridiculous. Luck in year 1 is the best QB in the AFC South. Worst part is he will only get better.

That's one possibility. There've been a lot of QBs that looked very good early, but didn't progress. The league will have the book on him so we'll see how he adapts next year. He had a lot of INTs and will need to cut those down for the team to compete.

I realize the Colts were only 1 game behind us in the standings, but they had a negative point differential and a bad turnover margin. They won't continue to "luck" into these wins if those stats continue.

Hervoyel
01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
agree with all of that but this slow, plodding offense needs speed, speed, speed. It was embarrassing watching this team nickle and dime it down the field without any ability to go deep. They need a Speed WR and some quickness in the slot in a big way.

Yeah, we're slow. We're the Kevin Walter of offenses. Slow and steady wins the WC round as they say. I think we'll look at who is out there and maybe grab a guy like (about to throw up in my mouth a little) Jacoby Jones who has worn his welcome out somewhere but who is fast and maybe could stretch the field here and flourish in a new setting. Then we'll ignore him most of the year and keep throwing the ball to AJ, OD, and Walter.

SheTexan
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Rick Smith, Kubiak, Wade, and Schaub will all be back next year. If there are changes, it will be to someone other than those guys. Excluding our obvious stars of course. There will be some of the coaching staff leave, there always is.

This^^^^^^^! Unfortunately, we will still have Rick Smith on board this next year, and I can assure you, he will screw something up! BET on it!!

TEXANRED
01-13-2013, 08:35 PM
agree with all of that but this slow, plodding offense needs speed, speed, speed. It was embarrassing watching this team nickle and dime it down the field without any ability to go deep. They need a Speed WR and some quickness in the slot in a big way.

Nope. We will extend Walter's contract by 10 years $50 million b/c of his down field blocking ability. We will then cut DBrown's and Wade Smith due to cap restraints and draft and start some 6th and 7th round players to start in their place.

Vinny
01-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Yeah, we're slow. We're the Kevin Walter of offenses. Slow and steady wins the WC round as they say. I think we'll look at who is out there and maybe grab a guy like (about to throw up in my mouth a little) Jacoby Jones who has worn his welcome out somewhere but who is fast and maybe could stretch the field here and flourish in a new setting. Then we'll ignore him most of the year and keep throwing the ball to AJ, OD, and Walter. All the rules have been bent to the offense the past decade and every team in the league is seeping with speed....except for us. Watching the Pats, the Seattle v Atlanta game and the Packer v 9er game reinforced the notion (to me) that we need to follow the trends in the league and exploit the rule changes like everyone else is trying to do. While offense are opening up (even with rookie QB's) we are plodding along in our 90's Bronco offense hoping todays game changing player would be Graham...a slow plodding possession TE.

Hervoyel
01-13-2013, 09:10 PM
All the rules have been bent to the offense the past decade and every team in the league is seeping with speed....except for us. Watching the Pats, the Seattle v Atlanta game and the Packer v 9er game reinforced the notion (to me) that we need to follow the trends in the league and exploit the rule changes like everyone else is trying to do. While offense are opening up (even with rookie QB's) we are plodding along in our 90's Bronco offense hoping todays game changing player would be Graham...a slow plodding possession TE.

Yeah, agree with all of that. The thing about Graham is, I watched Gronkowski tear down the sideline like a WR and he looked faster than every single TE the Texans have ever had. That big guy in New Orleans (Graham oddly enough) looks the same way. Gigantic TE's that haul ass and look like slightly bigger and faster versions of Tony Gonzalez seem to be the direction things are going in. I was watching the game today and thinking the same thing you're talking about. The entire Patriots team seemed to be flying all over the field. They're fast, dare I say "Wicked fast". We looked like we were moving in slow motion on offense most of the day.

I think the game has passed Kubiak by just like it did Shanahan in Denver. Diminishing returns are in our future if we don't adjust.

kiwitexansfan
01-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Fire Joe Marciano(sp)?

Jones and Holiday have shown he doesn't have what it takes.

Titans Sux 72
01-13-2013, 09:25 PM

And his team will remain mediocre. They got a lot of miles on the Pagano train.

powda
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
All the rules have been bent to the offense the past decade and every team in the league is seeping with speed....except for us. Watching the Pats, the Seattle v Atlanta game and the Packer v 9er game reinforced the notion (to me) that we need to follow the trends in the league and exploit the rule changes like everyone else is trying to do. While offense are opening up (even with rookie QB's) we are plodding along in our 90's Bronco offense hoping todays game changing player would be Graham...a slow plodding possession TE.

Faster would be great. However, I wonder how much speed could be utilized when we have a qb with a pop gun arm who throws a miserable deep ball?

Marciano is goodbye.

Titans Sux 72
01-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Sorry got off track.
Marciano does have to go. His units were not ready on game day. Penalties, effort, discipline.
They need a offensive playmaker preferably in FA .

I don't see Barwin back unless he takes an hometown discount. He was a zero this year.

Cody is also a maybe.

Rufus Jarvis
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Suggestions...

Could we get DeMeco back or draft Teo.

Sign/Draft a Legit WR.

CB Chris Gamble or DeAngelo Hall if the Redskins cut him for money reasons

DT Darnell Dockett

Rufus Jarvis
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Maybe?????

Offer Schaub to the Browns for a 1st, 3rd and Colt McCoy.

Keep TJ Yates.

Uncle Rico
01-13-2013, 09:36 PM
must build through the draft due to salary cap hell. maybe hope a veteran WR will play here next to Dre for the minimum.

they should pick an OL with the first pick, a WR with the 2nd, a LB/DB with the 3rd then best available after that, those are areas of need noticeable to even the most casual fan.

hradhak
01-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Schaub isn't going anywhere. I don't see the point in discussing changing QBs with the 4 yr extensions.

Our best bet of getting better is getting a real #2 WR. We don't have it now and with Posey's injury I don't think he's going to be quite the same next season.

We will need to replace OLB (Barwin), possible GQ since his contract is up. We are going to lose a lot of players this offseason and we need to replace them with talent. WR has to be a top priority

LikeMike
01-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Perhaps a new ST coach? Perhaps a new OC? Perhaps a new RT? NT?

GP
01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Not a damn thing will happen.

I expect Marciano to be back, by gosh he just needs his guys to respond to his coachin' and handle their duties out there! I even think the Braman blocked punt for a TD, and Manning's performance today, will rally Kubiak behind Marciano.

Matt will start. Period. Yay. :lion:

Gary will run the offense.

Tate will be traded, that's the biggest move that will happen.

dtran04
01-13-2013, 09:55 PM
A Gronkowski/Graham type player would get MONSTER numbers in this offense. Daniels as the #2 TE would be awesome.

Don't think a fast #2 WR is much use in this offense. Keyshawn Martin looks to be too slow to create seperation in the slot.

Pantherstang84
01-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Not a damn thing will happen.

I expect Marciano to be back, by gosh he just needs his guys to respond to his coachin' and handle their duties out there! I even think the Braman blocked punt for a TD, and Manning's performance today, will rally Kubiak behind Marciano.

Matt will start. Period. Yay. :lion:

Gary will run the offense.

Tate will be traded, that's the biggest move that will happen.

Agree because in McNair and Kubiak's mind any other change would be trauuuuumatic.

Mr. Texan
01-13-2013, 10:02 PM
A Gronkowski/Graham type player would get MONSTER numbers in this offense. Daniels as the #2 TE would be awesome.

Don't think a fast #2 WR is much use in this offense. Keyshawn Martin looks to be too slow to create seperation in the slot.

big disappointment personally for me this season.

i thought he would be our poor mans wes welker. get him in space and let him get YAC. sadly he never developed into that type of player.

powda
01-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Schaub isn't going anywhere. I don't see the point in discussing changing QBs with the 4 yr extensions.

Your right...next season. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and groom him for the following year. Kubiak has kept all his eggs in schaub's basket long enough...if schaub works out great...not having an alternative option in place would be an injustice by kubiak.

Rey
01-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Schaub will be back and I'm ok with that. He's either going to step up and erase the doubts or he's going to further prove he's incapable. Would like the first result, would be fine with the second as that would hopefully be the nail in the coffin.

Wither way the season will be worth watching.

steelbtexan
01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Draft a CB and WR

Hopefully they will

Coach Joe must GO!!!!!

awc713
01-13-2013, 10:48 PM
I'd like for us to fire Marciano, special teams coach. just wasnt good enough all year long. bit us in the butt at indy.

i don't know why shiloh keo or brandon harris got playing time. i know we're depleted but they do NOT deserve roster sports. harris lead our team in penalties and played half the year.

also i;d like to move on from sean cody. hilarious guy, great guy for the locker room. but i cant remember the last time ive seen him make a play.

AJ-80
01-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Completely agree with you. Cody has been a non-factor, its time to move on to Earl Mitchell playing full-time. Draft a NT in the late rounds and develop him into a reserve role. Shiloh Keo is out of control. Special teams player, only. You forgot Barwin, he went from rising star of the defense to huge disappointment all in one year. Plus there's no way in hell that I would overpay(because a team will) for him.

Another question...is Brian Brahman really that bad to NEVER get playing time on defense. He's a flat out beast on special teams, but I guess he simply has zero football IQ.

Tailgate
01-13-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure I forgot Cody was still on the team until you reminded me.

Corrosion
01-13-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I forgot Cody was still on the team until you reminded me.

Thats probably because he see's so little time on the field , neither he nor Mitchell play on passing downs - nickle or dime packages.

Texcore
01-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Shaub

awc713
01-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Completely agree with you. Cody has been a non-factor, its time to move on to Earl Mitchell playing full-time. Draft a NT in the late rounds and develop him into a reserve role. Shiloh Keo is out of control. Special teams player, only. You forgot Barwin, he went from rising star of the defense to huge disappointment all in one year. Plus there's no way in hell that I would overpay(because a team will) for him.

Another question...is Brian Brahman really that bad to NEVER get playing time on defense. He's a flat out beast on special teams, but I guess he simply has zero football IQ.

Braman just plays OLB where we're stacked...

id like to move on from kevin walter too...good blocking WR, sure...but were gonna need a legit #2...esp as andre ages...

id love to see us trade up a la julio jones and the falcons

Vinny
01-13-2013, 11:19 PM

Don't think a fast #2 WR is much use in this offense. Keyshawn Martin looks to be too slow to create seperation in the slot.What I'd give for another Ernest Givins. He would thrive in today's 'protect the helpless player' environment.

MEGA SWATT
01-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Shaub

this plus Marciano has to go.

Cody, I'm neutral on.

Kubiak - I think we need a better coach - but I know he's not going after 12-4 and thus Matt is here.:wadepalm:

mexican_texan
01-13-2013, 11:24 PM
We're the Bengals classier, richer cousin.

Still better than the Jets.

Oz Texan
01-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I know we just came off a 12-4 season and these things never happen when you win that many game and make it to the divisional round but....

First our wonderfully woefully overly conservative im gonna do my gameplan no matter what happens during the game and never change or make adjustments head coach. He needs to go the reason we looked so bad for the last half of the season is that we were nor prepared and the gameplans were overly vanilla and no halftie adjustments were made. This is directly a coaching issue as they gameplan and prepare tha players for said gameplan. Our gameplanning has sucked horribly. If he has any type of lead in a game all he does is try to sit on it an hope for a win. In this league you cant do that you have to score and make sure the other team can not catch you. Too many times you see a team get up big and lose because of this. There is more I can say on this but you all know what the issues are. The main one is he is responable for our gameplanning and playcalling and he is not getting it done.

Secondly Matt Schaub, I like the guy he is a class guy and a decent qb but he can not get it done when the lights shine. He has no mobility and no deepball power. I have never seen receivers have to slow down to catc a deep ball more than ours. He constantly goes fetal if he feels pressure cause he knows he cant outrun it. If he does evade the pressure he just looks to throw it away not run or make a pass to get posative yards. He misses alot of open reciervers on the field to. ( not throws but does not see them).

I personally feel we should go get Alex Smith from the Niners. He imho would be perfect in this system. He is a game manager and has good deep ball power and is very mobile. to make those play with his legs that are nonexistant now.

As for a HC, I think McNair should call up Bill Cower and say what will it take to get you back into coaching....ok that much ok HERE!.

These are just my opinions.

gtexan02
01-13-2013, 11:29 PM
If you had to ask me to bet money on major moves being made, I'd wager not many.
I think Kubiak is here. I think Schaub is entrenched.

This team has never drastically changed courses before. I don't think a 12-4 season with a loss in the divisional round to the Patriots (in foxboro) is going to be the impetus that sees a lot of churning.

TEXANS84
01-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Shaub

I checked the roster, fortunately there is nobody spelled by that name on the team.

Vinny
01-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Still better than the Jets.
Jets did go to the AFC Championship game vs the Colts a few years ago ya know.

Showtime100
01-13-2013, 11:45 PM
If you had to ask me to bet money on major moves being made, I'd wager not many.
I think Kubiak is here. I think Schaub is entrenched.

This team has never drastically changed courses before. I don't think a 12-4 season with a loss in the divisional round to the Patriots (in foxboro) is going to be the impetus that sees a lot of churning.

Agreed. However, I will forever know Bum Phillips did not deserve his firing after going 11-5 (with an asst named Wade Phillips :)) and losing to the eventual Champion Raiders, but after seeing this 12-4 campaign I would love to see Kubiak and Marciano gone. Schaub and whomever else would fall where they may.

If Kubiak were fired right now I don't think you would see the massive bandwagon shift among fans that you did when Bum got the ax.

We simply can't stay put. It doesn't make sense.

On a different note, I believe in our front office like I never believed in Bud's front office.

midway
01-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Another extension for Schaub and Kubiak for battlefighting their way to a 12 win season.

Showtime100
01-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Another extension for Schaub and Kubiak for battlefighting their way to a 12 win season.

Meaning you do, or do not want what you described?? Put the thread title along with your incomplete post it sounds like you want Kubiak and Schaub indefinitely.

Just looking for clarity before I say you're nuts. :D

midway
01-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Meaning you do, or do not want what you described?? Put the thread title along with your incomplete post it sounds like you want Kubiak and Schaub indefinitely.

Just looking for clarity before I say you're nuts. :D

It's what I think will happen, not what I hope will happen :D

michaelm
01-14-2013, 12:23 AM

Do you really think it's that simple?

mexican_texan
01-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Jets did go to the AFC Championship game vs the Colts a few years ago ya know.

The Bengals went to a Super Bowl, too.

Vinny
01-14-2013, 12:39 AM
The Bengals went to a Super Bowl, too.sure wasn't a couple of years ago.

ObsiWan
01-14-2013, 02:50 AM

LB speaks for itself. Past Cushing we've got issues on the inside. James and Ruud are both good players but they're older and not going to be here long. I'm positive we go get another ILB. Maybe we get a RG or ILB in free agency but I think more likely draft there.

Agree with you on the O-line. We've got to get way better on the right side as well as adding - or developing - quality depth there.
Also, as I've said in previous threads, we've got to find us a Cushing/Patrick Willis-quality ILB. The talent drop-off when Cush went down was much to large to tolerate.

Speed only works if you have a quality trigger man. And he doesn't need a "cannon for an arm". Like Montana hitting those sweet slants to Rice and John Taylor, the trigger man needs to time his throws so that his guy can catch the ball and catch it in stride then accelerate. Think back to tonight's game, Brady's longest throw was just forty yards. He doesn't have a "big arm" but he throws it to a spot where he knows his guy will be, can make the catch and keep on running. How many times have we seen him or Drew Brees throw the ball to a certain spot before the receiver has even come out of his break?! That's a timing throw. Schaub does not excel at those. I've seen him do it - hell, he hit Foster with one tonight - but it's not his strong suit.

Schaub, for the most part, has to see the guy open before he'll pull the trigger. And if Schaub does that with a speed guy, I'm afraid the speed guy will be out of Schaub's range by the time Schaub sees (and believes) that he's open.

Schaub needs to add the "throwing guys open" tactic to the offensive weaponry if we are to take advantage of any speed guys we pick up. If not they'll just be wasted.

ObsiWan
01-14-2013, 02:54 AM
One more thing on Cowher...

10:14 AM ET 01.13 | Bill Cowher insists he's staying in the studio and not returning to the sideline. Cowher says Saturday on CBS' "The NFL Today" that he has no plans to coach in the NFL, a few days after telling Newsday that he probably would come back at some point. The 55-year-old Cowher is an analyst for CBS who coached the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/23) from 1992-2006. He won a Super Bowl after the 2005 season. Cowher says he plans "on being with one team, and that is this team here at CBS. I know we are going to the Super Bowl." In a published report Tuesday, he said that returning to coaching after a long layoff is motivation for him to come back, but hadn't been contacted by any teams looking for a new coach.

Link (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/361839)

ralph
01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
This^^^^^^^! Unfortunately, we will still have Rick Smith on board this next year, and I can assure you, he will screw something up! BET on it!!

Serious?

thunderkyss
01-14-2013, 11:11 AM

So what can you do? If you're Bob McNair, what are you going to do? Can you do anything?

I'm thinking, if I'm McNair, I've got my little group together this morning; Cal, Smith, Kubiak, & we're going to figure out what happened, what went wrong & what we're going to do about it.

No one is leaving that room confident that they will return next season in their same capacity.

I don't think Schaub is as bad or useless as has been said on this board. I don't think anyone in that room will say any different. So my question is if Schaub is the QB we need, what happened?

My mind is made up that the game plan did not feature our QB, the leader of the team, in a position to maximize his strengths. His strengths are reading defenses understanding what the offense is designed to do & efficiently delivering the ball to the open guy. I think that means there should have been more receivers to pressure the Patriots defense deep, middle, & both sides of the field.

I also think he's a rhythm passer & most of our offense did not look like it was designed to get him into a rhythm.

I want him to have more freedom at the line. I want to see him take advantage of LBs lined up on our slot receiver (sometimes that's Andre) or LBs lined up on Arian split wide. I want to see him check from a run to a pass & if that means that he needs to be more demonstrative than what we've seen in the past, I want him to be more demonstrative so up in my owners box I can look to my Bud Herschall Walker & say..., "That's an audible."

I also want to know what happened to letting it hang loose?
I want to know why we bottled up our QB in the second half when we saw he was the only thing working in the first half (at the end). If Gary gives me that, "We needed to control the clock & metriculate blah, blah, blah..." I want him to find someone else to call plays. As head coach, he can make sure they stick to his "system" he can make sure the team is conducting themselves like pros. He can make sure the players are being taught & that we've identified the right keys for our offense, but on game day I want someone else calling plays.

If he tells me he's not comfortable with the new guys & that KDub gave him his best shot, then KDub is cut right there. No more crutches. I want 12 WRs in camp battling for the #1 through #5 spot on this team.

The only way he keeps his play calling duties, is if he tells me Schaub was hurt, or he was protecting someone on the OL.

Then I'm going to grille Gary about the Defense.
If he can't explain to me what we worked on, what we expected, how they beat us, what we should have done differently or why they got caught with their pants down twice after they saw that crap Dec 10th.... He is gone.

I know, no one wants to fire a HC who just won 12 regular season games, the division, and a play off game, but if he can't answer those defensive questions, he's not a HC. It's the HC's job to identify what went wrong last game & make sure we've had a good process in place to fix them.

I'm going to look at Rick Smith & ask him what's our plan going forward, what are we going to target in the offseason. If he tells me we don't have money, that's his a55. He's goofed up last season & he's had 19 weeks to figure out a plan.
I'm going to ask him for a list of 5 GMs that did a better job than he did this year. I want detailed summary of what they did that was better, what he did in & why it wasn't a good idea, or why it didn't pan out.

I want a plan for what he needs to do this offseason to do better than he did last year.

Then I want a list of five head coaching prospects, I want to know how confident he is that his guy would come to Houston, what he thinks it would cost, & how long would it take that coach to get this team into the Super Bowl. I want to know who those 5 guys know & who would "probably" be asked to be on his coaching staff.

I want a list of ST coaches, I want a list of OCs, I want a list of LB coaches, & DCs

Then I'm looking at Cal
& I want to know how he let that debacle we call December happen & not be prepared to replace these guys at the drop of a hat.... if he's not. If Rick Smith already has a list of coaches, because Cal already told him he's looking at options.... if Cal already has a list of possible GMs & he's been in contact with these people, then I'll let him leave thinking he did his job. If not... that's his a55.

HOU-TEX
01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
If there's anything other than ILB on our 1st round draft board I'd be surprised. Considering all the weaknesses throughout the team, ILB's got to be the weakest. I'd probably be ok throwing OLB in that group as well.

Barwin lost millions this season by not taking what ever it was we offered him. I like Barwin, but would not be upset if he chose to leave.

b0ng
01-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Changes eh?

I think Marciano is gone and that will be the "big" coaching change to satisfy the fanbase. Going down the list of free agents from rotoworld this is what I see:

Rashad Butler: Gone, too injury prone
Antoine Caldwell: Gone, too injury prone
Alan Ball: re-signed, I puke
James Casey: re-signed I hope, might be expensive for a FB
Connor Barwin: Gone, some team transitioning to the 3-4 will pay him handsomely
Shaun Cody: Gone, I hope. If not signed for vet minimum
Quentin Demps: Gone I think, but may be re-signed for depth. Not a bad ST'er
Tim Dobbins: probably re-signed to be depth
Justin Forsett: Tough to call, some team may pay him to be an RB1 because they have nothing
Shayne Graham: even though he made a 55 yarder outside last night, I don't think you can honestly bring him back with how terrible he is on kickoffs
Ryan Harris: I think he gets another 1 year deal to be a backup
Bradie James: Really shouldn't be a starter but I can see Wade urging him to get another 1 year deal
Donnie Jones: re-signed for a couple of years
Brice McCain: Lisfranc injury but was pretty good playing as a nickel. I think he gets re-signed because you can't have enough decent CB's in the league these days
Jessee Nading: I don't think he's back
Glover Quin: Probable candidate to be franchised. He had some really really bad games later in the year and some really good games earlier in the year.
Barrett Ruud: I don't like him playing as ILB on this team. I think he's gone.

And I think one of Antonio Smith or Wade Smith is let go due to cap reasons.

toronto
01-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Changes eh?

I think Marciano is gone and that will be the "big" coaching change to satisfy the fanbase. Going down the list of free agents from rotoworld this is what I see:

Justin Forsett: Tough to call, some team may pay him to be an RB1 because they have nothing
Shayne Graham: even though he made a 55 yarder outside last night, I don't think you can honestly bring him back with how terrible he is on kickoffs
Bradie James: Really shouldn't be a starter but I can see Wade urging him to get another 1 year deal
Brice McCain: Lisfranc injury but was pretty good playing as a nickel. I think he gets re-signed because you can't have enough decent CB's in the league these days
Glover Quin: Probable candidate to be franchised. He had some really really bad games later in the year and some really good games earlier in the year.

One important footnote to all of that. You get back Cushing. I really feel he makes a monster difference in a game like yesterday. Those RBs that gashed the middle and evaded tackles would have had him to deal with, and to be honest, they never get that home game over the Texans if he had never been hurt.

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
ILB is the biggest thing for me. TE is the second biggest thing for me.

I think Posey, Jean, and Martin will develop. I'm not too worried about our WRs.

We need to upgrade the NT. We need more production from the OLBs.

I'm hoping our linemen develop. I wouldn't be surprised if they use a late round flyer on a T.

I'd love for us to draft a Russell Wilson or a Colin Kaepernick and groom him as Schaub's successor for 2014.

We need to fire Joe Marciano.

silentassassin
01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Changes eh?

A lot of this seems pretty dead-on in my opinion.

I'm not so sure on Alan Ball. I suppose it's a major possibility considering the amount DBs teams typically keep on their roster.

Good breakdown here.

That being said, it's difficult not to think our window is closing a lot faster than we initially thought.

ObsiWan
01-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Serious?

Yes, she is.

She will never forgive Smith for letting DeMeco and Winston leave town.

dream_team
01-14-2013, 12:05 PM

I think Posey, Jean, and Martin will develop. I'm not too worried about our WRs.

I'm hoping our linemen develop. I wouldn't be surprised if they use a late round flyer on a T.

I'd love for us to draft a Russell Wilson or a Colin Kaepernick and groom him as Schaub's successor for 2014.

I don't understand how majority of the people in here are blaming Schaub or Kubiak for our crappy finish this season... but then turnaround and say ILB is our biggest need? When was the last time we heavily invested in the offense during the off-season? Probably in 2008 when we drafted Duane Brown. If Schaub or Kubiak's offense is the reason we're losing, then why not invest in the offense during the off-season?

dream_team
01-14-2013, 12:07 PM
So what can you do? If you're Bob McNair, what are you going to do? Can you do anything?

I'm thinking, if I'm McNair, I've got my little group together this morning; Cal, Smith, Kubiak, & we're going to figure out what happened, what went wrong & what we're going to do about it.

No one is leaving that room confident that they will return next season in their same capacity.

I don't think Schaub is as bad or useless as has been said on this board. I don't think anyone in that room will say any different. So my question is if Schaub is the QB we need, what happened?

My mind is made up that the game plan did not feature our QB, the leader of the team, in a position to maximize his strengths. His strengths are reading defenses understanding what the offense is designed to do & efficiently delivering the ball to the open guy. I think that means there should have been more receivers to pressure the Patriots defense deep, middle, & both sides of the field.

I also think he's a rhythm passer & most of our offense did not look like it was designed to get him into a rhythm.

I want him to have more freedom at the line. I want to see him take advantage of LBs lined up on our slot receiver (sometimes that's Andre) or LBs lined up on Arian split wide. I want to see him check from a run to a pass & if that means that he needs to be more demonstrative than what we've seen in the past, I want him to be more demonstrative so up in my owners box I can look to my Bud Herschall Walker & say..., "That's an audible."

I also want to know what happened to letting it hang loose?
I want to know why we bottled up our QB in the second half when we saw he was the only thing working in the first half (at the end). If Gary gives me that, "We needed to control the clock & metriculate blah, blah, blah..." I want him to find someone else to call plays. As head coach, he can make sure they stick to his "system" he can make sure the team is conducting themselves like pros. He can make sure the players are being taught & that we've identified the right keys for our offense, but on game day I want someone else calling plays.

If he tells me he's not comfortable with the new guys & that KDub gave him his best shot, then KDub is cut right there. No more crutches. I want 12 WRs in camp battling for the #1 through #5 spot on this team.

The only way he keeps his play calling duties, is if he tells me Schaub was hurt, or he was protecting someone on the OL.

Then I'm going to grille Gary about the Defense.
If he can't explain to me what we worked on, what we expected, how they beat us, what we should have done differently or why they got caught with their pants down twice after they saw that crap Dec 10th.... He is gone.

I know, no one wants to fire a HC who just won 12 regular season games, the division, and a play off game, but if he can't answer those defensive questions, he's not a HC. It's the HC's job to identify what went wrong last game & make sure we've had a good process in place to fix them.

I'm going to look at Rick Smith & ask him what's our plan going forward, what are we going to target in the offseason. If he tells me we don't have money, that's his a55. He's goofed up last season & he's had 19 weeks to figure out a plan.
I'm going to ask him for a list of 5 GMs that did a better job than he did this year. I want detailed summary of what they did that was better, what he did in & why it wasn't a good idea, or why it didn't pan out.

I want a plan for what he needs to do this offseason to do better than he did last year.

Then I want a list of five head coaching prospects, I want to know how confident he is that his guy would come to Houston, what he thinks it would cost, & how long would it take that coach to get this team into the Super Bowl. I want to know who those 5 guys know & who would "probably" be asked to be on his coaching staff.

I want a list of ST coaches, I want a list of OCs, I want a list of LB coaches, & DCs

Then I'm looking at Cal
& I want to know how he let that debacle we call December happen & not be prepared to replace these guys at the drop of a hat.... if he's not. If Rick Smith already has a list of coaches, because Cal already told him he's looking at options.... if Cal already has a list of possible GMs & he's been in contact with these people, then I'll let him leave thinking he did his job. If not... that's his a55.

You are forgetting Special Teams. I don't know if there are stats to back this up, but I'd assume we're ranked in the very bottom when it comes to STs. I want some answers on why our STs were so bad, on what he plans on doing to improve for next season.

toronto
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't understand how majority of the people in here are blaming Schaub or Kubiak for our crappy finish this season... but then turnaround and say ILB is our biggest need? When was the last time we heavily invested in the offense during the off-season? Probably in 2008 when we drafted Duane Brown. If Schaub or Kubiak's offense is the reason we're losing, then why not invest in the offense during the off-season?

Outside grooming a new number 1 wr to eventually succeed Johnson, the only decision is over Schaub, especially based on the venom I have seen here. I had no clue until yesterday how much many of u disliked him. I need to pay more attention.

AJ-80
01-14-2013, 12:20 PM

Dude, are you serious right now??? Martin sucks. Posey is inconsistent and is coming off a torn achilles. Jean is all over the place. We need another playmaker otherwise next year is going to be the same 'ol crap

toronto
01-14-2013, 12:28 PM
We will now find out what type of owner we have in this town. If the same personnel go into next season (GM, HC, DC, QB, etc), then he is just taking the money and doesn't care about winning.

Maybe I am missing something but 12-4 division champs and almost all of it without your best player on defense...doesn't seem to be a bad spot to be in heading into next season.

dream_team
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
We will now find out what type of owner we have in this town. If the same personnel go into next season (GM, HC, DC, QB, etc), then he is just taking the money and doesn't care about winning.

If he cleans house like that, then he really doesn't care about winning and will look like a dumb-a**!

deucetx
01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Maybe I am missing something but 12-4 division champs and almost all of it without your best player on defense...doesn't seem to be a bad spot to be in heading into next season.

He tends to exaggerate at times. But at the same time 12-4 and winning a division with only one other team worth a darn isn't something to hang your hat own. You don't play for regular season accolades. You play to win the trophy as Watt stated himself. And to win that trophy through the AFC you have to beat the Patriots. Do we have what it takes to beat them right now? No...we don't. And that means you do need some changes but just not these wholesale ones many are stating.

In regards to title question:

1. I expect the offense to get more flexible. This compact offense is not going to work. You have to adapt and adjust. Am I saying fling it around? No. I am saying have a really balanced offense. Patriots...that is balanced. We are not. If we're down, we're in big trouble more times than not. That means we don't have the offensive firepower in the passing game to get it done. Period. That is not balanced. Not to mention can Schaub not make any adjustments at the line? Is this by design? If so that needs to change. He should have enough experience by now to make changes.

2. Get some weapons on offense. Not slow WR's that rarely get separation without a playaction pass. This offense seems slow compared to other teams at WR and even O.D. has been a step slower lately and no longer getting the separation he use to. Plus kind of tired of him being such a horrid blocker.

3. Get a freaking RT. Newton did not progress during the season. He looked as inconsistent as he did in the preseason. There is no excuse for that. Even Jones/Brooks looked to improve at least a bit. Newton? None. Get a vet there and let Newton learn and serve as a backup.

4. Something needs to be done about the defense and not just a Cush return. Our edge rushers are invisible. Our ILB are one dimensional if even that. Our nickle backs need work to say the least but Harris still played better than McCain and that's saying something. They should probably battle it out next year but I suspect Harris will win that.

Probably need more depth at safety after Demps screwed up and lost his spot to Keo who is rather horrible in coverage.

5. Oh and please get us a real FB. Move Casey back to TE if he is retained but we need a real blocking FB. I like Casey even after that screw up last night but not at FB.

Pantherstang84
01-14-2013, 12:44 PM

If you're not improving, you are regressing. Simple as that. If they can't see any areas to improve upon down at 1 Reliant Center then they are treading water with sharks circling around.

silentassassin
01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
If he cleans house like that, then he really doesn't care about winning and will look like a dumb-a**!

I feel like some don't understand this concept. Thanks.

welsh texan
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes, she is.

She will never forgive Smith for letting DeMeco and Winston leave town.

Indeed, despite the fact that those moves are what allow us to keep hold of Foster, Cushing & Brown moving forward. Not going to rag on anyone, but the prediction at the time of those cuts was regression in terms of results.

Regular season we were stronger and we held our ground in the post-season. As far as I'm concerned those particular choices were the right choices, its the later decision to re-up Schaub too soon that is extremely questionable.

Paying DeMeco would have caused far more trouble cap-wise going forward. Hindsight might lead you to think we'd have missed Cush less, but the decision making at the time was sound. And after a decent start, I didn't hear too much about Ryans' play QBing that Philly D with all that raw talent to a losing season.

Winston the same, good at run blocking, but the pass blocking was on the decline and the only thing I've heard about the dude this season was him openning his mouth to criticise his fans, not much about his play though. Wonder why?

Can't call Rick Smith out for either of those moves, sure they were nice young boys and all but both got paid just as much as they would have if they'd been here so it isn't like either really lost out.

b0ng
01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
If you're not improving, you are regressing. Simple as that. If they can't see any areas to improve upon down at 1 Reliant Center then they are treading water with sharks circling around.

Okay but the improvement part is strictly based on opinion at this point since last year we won 11 games and this year we won 13. After last year a lot of posters here made the assertion that our schedule was mad easy since we were playing a 3rd place schedule and that 2012 we would really see what the team was made of since we were going to be playing against Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Matt Stafford (Since everybody thought he was the bomb and blah blah blah), Jay Cutler, Andrew Luck. Well we ended up with more wins (Same advancement in the playoffs though) with this "harder" schedule so you have to think some things did go right and this season wasn't the horrible abortion that many on here would have you believe.

So we have one poster calling for a change between the staff of the GM, HC, DC, or the QB. Starting from the top of that list, do you want to get rid of Rick Smith? Is Smith solely responsible for getting rid of Winston and Ryans, and not drafting pretty well from 2007 - 2012, for keeping guys like Andre Johnson, Duane Brown, Arian Foster and Chris Myers on the offense? Okay, so if not him then we want to get rid of Kubiak? This is a very popular sentiment of TT posters because Bill Cowher, Can't watch field goals, he's too nice, or some other things that vary from nonsense to worth contemplating. Lets say McNair doesn't do that because he's happy with a HC who got his team to 12-4 and a #3 seed with a home win in the playoffs. Okay so then I guess we can put Rick Dennison on this list as well even if he was omitted, which is certainly a possibility since he is going to interview in CHI for the HC job. I think this is the easiest change to make because hey, Gary Kubiak is really in charge here right? We're going to politely gloss over how different the offenses have looked over different coordinators (Which begs the point that Gary is probably really good at picking an OC, almost at an inverse ratio to how bad he was at picking a DC up until Phillips), and just assume that would be the most seamless change. Well then if not him then we move on to Wade Phillips, in which I figure most fans of the team that is over 50 or 60 years old would probably just give up on the Texans at that point. So finally we are left with the bald headed, goofy looking, weak armed, playaction selling QB Matt Schaub. The two ways to get rid of Schaub is going to be either Free Agency or the draft unless you believe Kubiak is ballsy enough to name TJ Yates or Case Keenum the starter at any point in 2013 for any reason other than injury. Well unfortunately for you both of these paths to replacement seem to be marred in mediocrity or uncertainty. There are probably, at any given point in the offseason, 10 - 15 NFL teams looking at new options for QB1 so you might have some guys getting released that you didn't previously think would be on the market. Michael Vick and Alex Smith are probably going to be the most prominent on most people's lists of likely QB's to be released by their current teams that could be brought in via FA (Unless you're one of those Cowboy fans that think JJ will get rid of Romo, in which case this whole concept gets turned on it's head because I would replace Schaub with Romo if the prices were similar). Vick is injury prone and a turnover machine, and Alex Smith is basically a younger Matt Schaub with legs. I think Vick is going to get starters money somewhere, and Smith might be a few mill less against the salary cap than Schaub currently is but has been demonstrably worse as well. That leaves you the draft which currently features a lot of QB's who are (right now) of similar skill and genetics. If you really need to see the list of those QB's and their specifics I recommend you go here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64) where we have lots of guys who can pat themselves on the back like nobody's business.

Personally, I just don't see any major changes to any of the spots that have been listed in this thread that would make for significant changes. This team had a really good season that slumped near the end, and to think that McNair is going to change something that drastic after this kind of season I don't think you've been watching the Texans for very long. Whether you agree with it or not, Bob McNair is going to give Kubiak a lot of leeway with his organization while they are winning games and going to the playoffs.

thunderkyss
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
So we have one poster calling for a change between the staff of the GM, HC, DC, or the QB.

In his defense, that long rant was just basically a butt chewing for this organizations management. I understand that McNair & his bunch are going to tell us that everything is ok.

But from McNair's stand point, I think this season should be looked at like one of those games where the team won, but the coach tears his team up as if they lost the game.

I think we had a good, but disappointing season. I think we're on the cusp. Things didn't work out for us to where we could win a Super Bowl like Green Bay, or New Orleans, or whoever wins this year if it's not New England.

The truth is.... we are not as good as those teams. This has been our most overachieving season by far. I think we have the talent to be that good, but for some reason we did not see that on the field except for maybe one game. I can't think of that game right now... maybe Baltimore, maybe Denver.

But it was rare to see this team operate at a high level on both sides of the ball for a complete game.

People go into New Orleans & they think, "OMG, we've got to find a way to outscore Brees.... same thing with GreenBAy, same thing with New England." When they play us, they think the game is winnable.

For us to get to the Super Bowl, teams have to look at us & say, "We'll need them to make a mistake to win." or "hopefully they won't bring their A game." Like many were saying here about both Green Bay & New England.

What do you think needs to happen for teams to look at us that way? Or do you think teams look at us that way?

76Texan
01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm for trading Matt Schaub and draft another QB.
Let him battle it out with Yates and Keenum.

I believe Keenum will win the job.

If you want a guy who's used to air it out the whole game long, I don't understand why you don't root for Case.
He will sling it even on 3rd and 25 or 3rd and 18.
And you don't see the Cougars panic in those situations with Meenum under the helm.

If you want a guy who doesn't panic under pressure and can scramble around to make plays downfield, you might want to root for Case.

If you want a guy that is smart to take a shot downfield when he catches the defense off-side, or when he recognizes a blitz (and therefore a one-on-one opportunity deep with one of his receivers) you might want to root for Case.

Google him up on YouTube and check him out for yourself.
There were games like Penn St., UTEP, Rice, etc. on there.

See how fast the ball gets out of his hand and how well he normally leads his receiver.

Kubiak needs to give the kid a real chance.

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2013, 02:01 PM

I'm not one of the people blaming Kubiak and Schaub for the finish of our season. For me, our biggest problems were on defense: the lack of a starting quality ILB except for Cush, the lack of healthy depth at ILB, the lack of a passrush except for JJ, the lack of run stopping that comes from the NT and ILB spots. So that's why I concentrated my list of needs on the defensive side.

I don't think we need a big influx of talent on the offensive side. I think we've got most of the pieces we need on the offensive side.

welsh texan
01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm for trading Matt Schaub and draft another QB.
Let him battle it out with Yates and Keenum.

I believe Keenum will win the job.

If you want a guy who's used to air it out the whole game long, I don't understand why you don't root for Case.
He will sling it even on 3rd and 25 or 3rd and 18.
And you don't see the Cougars panic in those situations with Meenum under the helm.

If you want a guy who doesn't panic under pressure and can scramble around to make plays downfield, you might want to root for Case.

If you want a guy that is smart to take a shot downfield when he catches the defense off-side, or when he recognizes a blitz (and therefore a one-on-one opportunity deep with one of his receivers) you might want to root for Case.

Google him up on YouTube and check him out for yourself.
There were games like Penn St., UTEP, Rice, etc. on there.

See how fast the ball gets out of his hand and how well he normally leads his receiver.

Kubiak needs to give the kid a real chance.

You really think this guy has the chance to start in the NFL and take us to the next level? I just find it hard to believe we'd be that lucky. Must have lots of stuff he needs to work on before being ready though, and if that takes 2 or 3 years of scout team snaps and a few pre-season snaps then its hard to see him knocking the rust off again when it comes to playing.

Maybe one of TJ or Case is the long term plan, which would make some sense of the Schaub re-signing, because then a place-holder who knows the system is exactly what you want. Just find it difficult to believe. Get the feeling QB whisperer Kubiak is better at coaching his backup to be a good game-manager in case of injury than to lead the team to SB rings single-handedly. I've yet to see a backup under Kubes come in and look totally lost, yet I've also not seen him with a full-time starter who looked elite. Meh.

Vinny
01-14-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm not one of the people blaming Kubiak and Schaub for the finish of our season. For me, our biggest problems were on defense: the lack of a starting quality ILB except for Cush, the lack of healthy depth at ILB, the lack of a passrush except for JJ, the lack of run stopping that comes from the NT and ILB spots. So that's why I concentrated my list of needs on the defensive side.

I don't think we need a big influx of talent on the offensive side. I think we've got most of the pieces we need on the offensive side.
Seattle has a big time defense but found themselves 20 points down vs the Falcons. Houston was 18 points down the same day. The difference? One team has a dynamic player as a quarterback, non-plus wr's and a big time feature back. The other team has a better go-to wr, better RB and a non dynamic QB. Seattle almost won their game as they scored in a fast and furious manner...we had the long, slow ten min dink and dunk drive as if it were garbage time and the game was over when we fell behind.

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Dude, are you serious right now??? Martin sucks. Posey is inconsistent and is coming off a torn achilles. Jean is all over the place. We need another playmaker otherwise next year is going to be the same 'ol crap

I am totally serious.

Any wideout drafted is going to have to:
1) learn the playbook
2) earn Kubiak's trust
3) earn Schaub's trust

The odds are very, very long against us finding a WR that's going to come in here and be an immediate upgrade. It might happen but I wouldn't bet on it.

Right now, we've got 2 guys who were rooks and 1 guy who was effectively a rookie. We knew going into this season that we weren't going to get a ton of production from these guys and we didn't.

HOPEFULLY, these guys develop and next year, start to produce. Posey was starting to show some things at the end of this season (that PI call on him was totally wrong) and Martin has to improve his hands. He was getting open all season and just not making the catch (which resulted in Schaub not throwing to him anymore.)

I'd be surprised if Smithiak pulls the plug on our WRs at this point. That said, they might draft one early if the right one falls to us but I'd be surprised.

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2013, 02:09 PM

If he cleans house like that, then he's a complete and total idiot who doesn't give a damn about winning.

powda
01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Seattle has a big time defense but found themselves 20 points down vs the Falcons. Houston was 18 points down the same day. The difference? One team has a dynamic player as a quarterback, non-plus wr's and a big time feature back. The other team has a better go-to wr, better RB and a non dynamic QB. Seattle almost won their game as they scored in a fast and furious manner...we had the long, slow ten min dink and dunk drive as if it were garbage time and the game was over when we fell behind.

Msr

b0ng
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Seattle's defense also held the Falcons to one TD in the entire second half until the final FG which is pretty much the opposite of what our defense did. The Houston Texans and half-time adjustments have been bitter enemies for awhile now.

thunderkyss
01-14-2013, 02:16 PM

& the non-dynamic QB was able to jump to a 20 point lead.

You forgot to mention that teams defense. Which is what we thought we had.

I like OD, but he's not Tony Gonzales. I like KDub (that's a lie) but he's not Julio Jones & our third WR (who is our third WR) doesn't get as much playing time as Douglas...

I don't think we need pro bowlers at every position for Matt to be successful, but I do think we need people who can stretch the field.

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2013, 02:16 PM

The difference is that our defense could not get off the field. In the second half, the Seattle defense shut down the Atlanta offense until the final few seconds... and lost.

You can't come back from a 4 point halftime deficit if your defense gives up 24 points in the second half. Granted, some of those points are on the offense but most of them are on the defense.

Vinny
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Seattle's defense also held the Falcons to one TD in the entire second half until the final FG which is pretty much the opposite of what our defense did. The Houston Texans and half-time adjustments have been bitter enemies for awhile now. Watching our offense "come back" was like watching Mr Furly work the chicks in three's company.

dream_team
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM

The difference is also the Seattle defense adjusted and was able to contain the Falcons offense in the 2nd half, allowing the offense to comeback. Our defense didn't do that.

b0ng
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Watching our offense "come back" was like watching Mr Furly work the chicks in three's company.

Watching the defense "**** the bed" was reminding me of 2010.

Vinny
01-14-2013, 02:19 PM
The difference is also the Seattle defense adjusted and was able to contain the Falcons offense in the 2nd half, allowing the offense to comeback. Our defense didn't do that. ok, those slow huddles, dinkanddunk passes and the plodding nature of our offense is the defenses fault. I'm glad you guys are learnin' me up.

deucetx
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
& the non-dynamic QB was able to jump to a 20 point lead.

You forgot to mention that teams defense. Which is what we thought we had.

I like OD, but he's not Tony Gonzales. I like KDub (that's a lie) but he's not Julio Jones & our third WR (who is our third WR) doesn't get as much playing time as Douglas...

I don't think we need pro bowlers at every position for Matt to be successful, but I do think we need people who can stretch the field.

I don't know why but that statement made me laugh. And I completely agree. Our offense needs more weapons. Schaub isn't going anywhere so no point on us harping on that. But the offense can evolve and change around him.

76Texan
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
You really think this guy has the chance to start in the NFL and take us to the next level? I just find it hard to believe we'd be that lucky. Must have lots of stuff he needs to work on before being ready though, and if that takes 2 or 3 years of scout team snaps and a few pre-season snaps then its hard to see him knocking the rust off again when it comes to playing.

Maybe one of TJ or Case is the long term plan, which would make some sense of the Schaub re-signing, because then a place-holder who knows the system is exactly what you want. Just find it difficult to believe. Get the feeling QB whisperer Kubiak is better at coaching his backup to be a good game-manager in case of injury than to lead the team to SB rings single-handedly. I've yet to see a backup under Kubes come in and look totally lost, yet I've also not seen him with a full-time starter who looked elite. Meh.

I don't know why but teams miss on prospect all the time.

For example, Kiwitexans and I were saying that Gabbert will be a waste of a first-round pick (he even called Gabbert a bust pre-draft.)

The Jags could have traded down and still get Kaepernick; I'm glad they didn't.

The Browns and the Broncos could have had Russell Wilson, but they didn't.

Keenum's injury certainly was a red flag for all the teams.
Then he pulled a hamstring running the 40s at the combine and couldn't make a lot of throws.
At his pro-day, his best receiver, Edwards, was still battling from an injury suffered during the Senior Bowl week.
Keenum did much better, but Edwards couldn't help him as much as he could.

Injury will always be a concern with Keenum due to his size, but hey, we may be lucky that he develops into a good NFL QB.
He did tear apart the Nittany Lions in the Ticket City Bowl Game.

welsh texan
01-14-2013, 02:23 PM
I am totally serious.

Any wideout drafted is going to have to:
1) learn the playbook
2) earn Kubiak's trust
3) earn Schaub's trust

The odds are very, very long against us finding a WR that's going to come in here and be an immediate upgrade. It might happen but I wouldn't bet on it.

Right now, we've got 2 guys who were rooks and 1 guy who was effectively a rookie. We knew going into this season that we weren't going to get a ton of production from these guys and we didn't.

HOPEFULLY, these guys develop and next year, start to produce. Posey was starting to show some things at the end of this season (that PI call on him was totally wrong) and Martin has to improve his hands. He was getting open all season and just not making the catch (which resulted in Schaub not throwing to him anymore.)

I'd be surprised if Smithiak pulls the plug on our WRs at this point. That said, they might draft one early if the right one falls to us but I'd be surprised.

Sky Sports actually did a feature on just how Seattle's WR corp. has improved this season and really helped them to where they got.

At the end of the day, both teams are clearing out their lockers right now though, one made a better attempt at a comeback against a far lesser team than the other. Neither managed to win though.

That Posey injury worries me. Smithiak gives me zero confidence in drafting WR's because in all the time they've been here they've never picked a true success.

The Posey/Martin/Jean trio have yet to get ahead of the curve laid down by Jacoby Jones IMO, and thats on coaching when your hit rate is 0% not simply down to the attitude/talent of the players.

Smithiak are lucky ****ers to walk in on AJ in his prime. Not too many franchises will be sat at 2-14 with anyone of that talent at such an important position, let alone for the guy to keep quiet and get on with his work and not request a trade at any point.

They said on the broadcast last night that Posey is the fastest guy on the team. He had a good game, and we need to hope that he isn't hobbled by that injury going forward. Martin and Jean have both flashed, I think both lost the confidence of the HC/QB early in the season with some poor drops but that happens. We need at least 2 of that group to become reliable though.

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2013, 02:23 PM
ok, those slow huddles, dinkanddunk passes and the plodding nature of our offense is the defenses fault. I'm glad you guys are learnin' me up.

Those things that are bothering weren't the problem.

b0ng
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Smithiak are lucky ****ers to walk in on AJ in his prime. Not too many franchises will be sat at 2-14 with anyone of that talent at such an important position, let alone for the guy to keep quiet and get on with his work and not request a trade at any point.

Johnson, Calvin, DET-WR

thunderkyss
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM

I seriously doubt that Kaepernick would be on anybody's radar had he gone to Jacksonville.

welsh texan
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't know why but teams miss on prospect all the time.

For example, Kiwitexans and I were saying that Gabbert will be a waste of a first-round pick (he even called Gabbert a bust pre-draft.)

The Browns and the Broncos could have had Russell Wilson, but they didn't.

Keenum's injury certainly was a red flag for all the teams.
Then he pulled a hamstring running the 40s at the combine and couldn't make a lot of throws.
At his pro-day, his best receiver, Edwards, was still battling from an injury suffered during the Senior Bowl week.
Keenum did much better, but Edwards couldn't help him as much as he could.

Injury will always be a concern with Keenum due to his size, but hey, we may be lucky that he develops into a good NFL QB.
He did tear apart the Nittany Lions in the Ticket City Bowl Game.

I think you need to get a sig 76, Chris Myers...Kareem Jackson...Case Keenum? :doot: Hope your right, I've only seen the guy in pre-season for the Texans, going to dig around for some of that footage on YouTube right now and hopefully start feeling a lil more confident.

Doppelganger
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much of that is on Kubes? He does not seem to trust Schaub to call plays let alone audible. If Schaub can't call plays, he cannot really go into much of a up tempo offense.

I also wonder if Schaub is hiding an arm/shoulder injury. He has been under-throwing receivers for a while now...

Watching our offense "come back" was like watching Mr Furly work the chicks in three's company.

Rep for the Mr. Furley reference!!!

http://img2.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/u/z/uzub8shl7gsgzubg.jpg

76Texan
01-14-2013, 02:38 PM
I think you need to get a sig 76, Chris Myers...Kareem Jackson...Case Keenum? :doot: Hope your right, I've only seen the guy in pre-season for the Texans, going to dig around for some of that footage on YouTube right now and hopefully start feeling a lil more confident.

In some videos (I know the UTEP game has it), they mention the fact that plays were suggested to Keenum, but he had the freedom to change it to anything that pleases him.

powda
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
The difference is also the Seattle defense adjusted and was able to contain the Falcons offense in the 2nd half, allowing the offense to comeback. Our defense didn't do that.

I think his observation was about how talent proportioned differently ended in an offense with a chance. The troubling thing is soon the strengths we do have are going to be used up and we'll be stuck with average wr, rb, and qb.

If kubiak continues on without an alternative to schaub he deserves the outcome. The qb i'm asking for doesn't have to be an instant starter / solution...but I want a chance for better talent at the most important position on the team. There's an iceberg up ahead and some of us on deck can see it. For those of you drunk and passed out in the galley...good luck.

welsh texan
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
In some videos (I know the UTEP game has it), they mention the fact that plays were suggested to Keenum, but he had the freedom to change it to anything that pleases him.

Explains why Kubes passed on him 7 times over :kitten:

dream_team
01-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to single you out then. But the general feeling on the board is that Schaub & Kubiak cost us the game... but then I go and see alot of people screaming for an ILB? Just didn't make sense.

b0ng
01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to single you out then. But the general feeling on the board is that Schaub & Kubiak cost us the game... but then I go and see alot of people screaming for an ILB? Just didn't make sense.

The problem with our ILB was that we were down to Bradie James (who was the worse of our ILB duo from the beginning of the season) and a guy we picked up off the street in week 14 or something, so of course they were going to be awful. I think we need OLB's just as bad as ILB's because Barwin is likely gone, Reed was not good rushing the passer and that leaves Mercilus who was probably our best pass rushing LB by the end of the year (Take that however you wish).

That being said, I'm okay with drafting offense in the first round as well so it's whatev's.

Vinny
01-14-2013, 03:07 PM
The problem with our ILB was that we were down to Bradie James (who was the worse of our ILB duo from the beginning of the season) and a guy we picked up off the street in week 14 or something, so of course they were going to be awful. I think we need OLB's just as bad as ILB's because Barwin is likely gone, Reed was not good rushing the passer and that leaves Mercilus who was probably our best pass rushing LB by the end of the year (Take that however you wish).

That being said, I'm okay with drafting offense in the first round as well so it's whatev's.
Sharpton first....but he was awful, then he got injured. Ruud (vet FA) was next and really wasn't as awful to be honest. Not good, but not awful.

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Sharpton first....but he was awful, then he got injured. Ruud (vet FA) was next and really wasn't as awful to be honest. Not good, but not awful.

It was "supposed" to be Cush and Sharpton with Bradie James and Dobbins as backups. But Sharpton was injured all offseason so Bradie James won that job. When Sharpton came back, he was just inconsistent as hell. He was more athletic and got more penetration at times but was totally lost in coverage.

I was having Morlon Greenwood flashbacks with Bradie James. Sure, he'd make tackles but they were 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage. That doesn't get it done.

I was surprised with how well Ruud played but he still wasn't good.

I said this earlier in the season in the draft forum and didn't think it had any possibility of happening but now... after Notre Dame's demolition at the hands of the Crimson Tide... how about pairing Cush with Manti Te'o? I'm not sure I like Te'o at the line of scrimmage and I'm not sure he'll drop to us but...

powda
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM

We have a bootleg offense run by a qb who can't run. We have zero deep threats...and a qb who couldn't get that threat the ball anyway. We are an exclusively east/west attack...with holes at rg and rt.

Defensively we run a 3/4 defense without olb's who can get to the qb. We have a nose tackle who is just a role player. After being beat 3+ times in a game the defense refuses to adjust and keeps a lb on a split out rb. Clearly we need more depth at ilb.

I'd be thrilled with just average special teams.

We went from a somewhat disciplined team to more penalty stricken. That's the easiest fix right there...and yes Kubes that one is on you.

For the love of god, can we get someone in the booth with 20/20 vision to help with challenges?

dream_team
01-14-2013, 03:15 PM
ok, those slow huddles, dinkanddunk passes and the plodding nature of our offense is the defenses fault. I'm glad you guys are learnin' me up.

I agree with you, that I'd like to see our hurry up offense be more efficient.

But at the same time, you have to be fair in your comparison. In the final 17 minutes of the game, the Seahawks were down 20. Their defense got an interception and forced two punts in a row. They didn't allow them to score a point (until the FG that ultimately beat them).

If our defense did the same with in the last 3 Pats possessions, guess what, it's a 31-28 game... we'd have the ball with a few minutes left, with a chance to tie or win the game.

This was a total team loss.

welsh texan
01-14-2013, 03:17 PM

I agree here, I don't think you need DeMeco's talents or price tag at ILB #2, for instance I think a healthy Sharpton next to a healthy Cushing is everything you need.

Of course its becoming obvious that a healthy Sharpton isn't something to rely on. Bradie James even looks passable next to Cush. ILB isn't hitting the top of my draft board, maybe the braintrust differ.

I think NT is a position to upgrade. Not asking for a huge plugger necessarily as Wade clearly can have success with a smaller guy if his skill-set is right. But I think you can get away with it if you upgrade NT, and get Cushing back injury free, you can make do with James and a mid-round rookie to develop next to him if the starters remain healthy. I think Mercilus and Reed can handle the load at OLB and contribute 2011 style (obv Mercilus replaces Barwin, but then Mercilus/Reed looks a more balanced pairing to me after another offseason then Reed/Barwin) Bring Barwin back if it makes cap sense but don't cry if it doesn't. Braman then gives me the confidence to replace Barwin with a lower round prospect because we can get by if one of Merci/Reed go down.

Time to ask the question about Sharpton unfortunately, I was one of the few who remembered how well he filled in for Meco a couple of years back when he was returning, and was proved right as he was probably our best ILB after Cush this season, but the dude can't be relied upon. Does his contract allow us to keep him and accept his fragility or not though?

I think the Texans are in a position where they can take early flyers on QB's right now too. I believe the CB position behind JoJo and Jax needs to be given the time to develop. Perhaps they can work Routt into the slot position over the offseason? Harris and Roc look like busts but you can't really judge a CB till the 3rd or 4th season.

The real reason I believe people are calling for ILB is because they saw how thin we were with injuries, and don't believe for a second that the HC/QB situation is going to change this offseason, whether they think it should or not.

The last 2 years I thought we should have been looking for strong competition for Schaub. In that time Wilson, Kap, and Cousins have all been passed on in the mid rounds by Smithiak, in rounds where we drafted for depth at other positions, not due to need for starters. I hope they are close to changing that viewpoint, and that they haven't missed out on some golden era of drafted QB's as well.

Rey
01-14-2013, 03:17 PM
It was "supposed" to be Cush and Sharpton with Bradie James and Dobbins as backups. But Sharpton was injured all offseason so Bradie James won that job. When Sharpton came back, he was just inconsistent as hell. He was more athletic and got more penetration at times but was totally lost in coverage.

I was having Morlon Greenwood flashbacks with Bradie James. Sure, he'd make tackles but they were 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage. That doesn't get it done.

I was surprised with how well Ruud played but he still wasn't good.

I said this earlier in the season in the draft forum and didn't think it had any possibility of happening but now... after Notre Dame's demolition at the hands of the Crimson Tide... how about pairing Cush with Manti Te'o? I'm not sure I like Te'o at the line of scrimmage and I'm not sure he'll drop to us but...

Where are you getting that bradie was supposed to be a back up?

Everything I've seen and heard says he was brought here to start.

Teo would be an ok option. Not preferable IMO but would be an upgrade.

BullNation4Life
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
hmmm, changes to be made...

I hear L.A. is nice this time of year...

:kitten:

Hervoyel
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM

I thought Ruud played pretty well considering when he got in here. I think he's worth a look as a veteran backup and would like to see him backing up Cushing and a rookie ILB next year with a training camp under his belt. He had a lot more left in the tank than I expected.

76Texan
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Explains why Kubes passed on him 7 times over :kitten:

LOL, I saw what you did there.

By the way, if you go to YouTube and search for something like Case Keenum vs Southern Miss, then look for the 50-43 Cougars win in 09, and go to the 5:40 mark.

You will see Keenum catching the defense offside and go long for a TD.
That's the kind of smart I was talking about.

BullNation4Life
01-14-2013, 03:20 PM

I believe I read he was to compete with Sharpton for the spot DeMeco vacated when he got traded. However Sharpton never could stay on the field...

HOU-TEX
01-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Most of us "screaming for an ILB" understand the fact we're stuck with both Schaub and Kubiak for a while. The ILB position cost us games too, so why not fix what we know the organization would be willing to fix?

BullNation4Life
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
LOL, I saw what you did there.

By the way, if you go to YouTube and search for something like Case Keenum vs Southern Miss, then look for the 50-43 Cougars win in 09, and go to the 5:40 mark.

You will see Keenum catching the defense offside and go long for a TD.
That's the kind of smart I was talking about.

YESSSS! Like when Wolfork took a month to get to the side line a Schaub actually waits until he is off the field? WTF to that?

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM

When Demeco was traded, Sharpton moved up into the starting spot. In the original pressers I read, when Bradie James was signed, I recall them saying he was brought in to provide competition for Sharpton AND (iirc), he wasn't paid much more than vet minimum.

With Sharpton on the sidelines and unable to compete and the fact that Bradie James knows this defense infinitely better than Sharpton does, he won the competition. But I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to start as soon as he was signed.

Rey
01-14-2013, 03:33 PM
When Demeco was traded, Sharpton moved up into the starting spot. In the original pressers I read, when Bradie James was signed, I recall them saying he was brought in to provide competition for Sharpton AND (iirc), he wasn't paid much more than vet minimum.

With Sharpton on the sidelines and unable to compete and the fact that Bradie James knows this defense infinitely better than Sharpton does, he won the competition. But I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to start as soon as he was signed.

When bradie was signed herring said he thought bradie would bring just as much to the team as Demeco or something like that. There was much conversation around here about his statements.

I think I even recall wade talking about how bradie was going to call the plays and then there was discussion about who'd have the green dot.

I don't recall any serious talk from the team about sharpton being the starter and having to fend off James.

76Texan
01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
YESSSS! Like when Wolfork took a month to get to the side line a Schaub actually waits until he is off the field? WTF to that?

Only a month? LOL.

BTW, I knows that Keenum did this often.
I saw it in another game awhile ago but don't remember which one.
But if you to the SMU game in 09, you can watch him do it again, this time for a long gain.
Defense can't go to sleep on Keenum or they will pay.

Or go to the Miss. St. Or the Okl St. Games (both in 09) and watch what Keenum did against the blitz.

dream_team
01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Most of us "screaming for an ILB" understand the fact we're stuck with both Schaub and Kubiak for a while. The ILB position cost us games too, so why not fix what we know the organization would be willing to fix?

Better yet... why not surround Schaub with better tools to hide his deficiencies? Get him some better pass protectors so he doesn't have to scramble and buy more time? Get him some better receivers that can get open and make plays?

Unless, we are conceding that we are defensive-minded team, with a ball-controlled offense. If that's the look you want us to take, then by all means, get ILB help.

cuppacoffee
01-14-2013, 05:02 PM
We have a bootleg offense run by a qb who can't run. We have zero deep threats...and a qb who couldn't get that threat the ball anyway. We are an exclusively east/west attack...with holes at rg and rt.

Defensively we run a 3/4 defense without olb's who can get to the qb. We have a nose tackle who is just a role player. After being beat 3+ times in a game the defense refuses to adjust and keeps a lb on a split out rb. Clearly we need more depth at ilb.

I'd be thrilled with just average special teams.

We went from a somewhat disciplined team to more penalty stricken. That's the easiest fix right there...and yes Kubes that one is on you.

For the love of god, can we get someone in the booth with 20/20 vision to help with challenges?

The last few games it sure seems to me that most of Schaubs passes were behind the first down markers, and the defenders were right there to make the tackle. Almost like they knew in advance what play was called.

Texas = not a hard team to scout and prepare for. Seems our halftime adjustments are scouted as well.

Predictable.

:coffee:

bckey
01-15-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm all for the Texans building defense. I said back when Philips was hired. The only way this team wins a superbowl with Kubiak running the show is if Wade can somehow build an elite defense. One like the steel curtain, the 85 bears or the 2000 Ravens. LB has got to be a priority. Cushing will be back but he needs some big time help. CB needs to be addressed and please get a dl in the mold of Seth Payne. I miss that guy. He would have done wonders for this defense.

thunderkyss
01-16-2013, 07:37 AM
When bradie was signed herring said he thought bradie would bring just as much to the team as Demeco or something like that. There was much conversation around here about his statements.

I think I even recall wade talking about how bradie was going to call the plays and then there was discussion about who'd have the green dot.

I don't recall any serious talk from the team about sharpton being the starter and having to fend off James.

Bottom line, I think it's important to bring someone in with the capability to replace both of them.

Anyone thinking Bradie James should be starting on any team screwed the pooch. Sharpton's injuries hurt us all year long. Cushing's coming back, but if we have the opportunity to bring in a player to challenge him, it would be in our best interest.

Cushing coming back helps, but it doesn't fix our ILB problems.

Honoring Earl 34
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm thinking the Texans will add another battle red day to the mix . Maybe show the JJ Watt int vs the Bengals in 2012 during the introductions . :runaway:

TexCanada
01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Does Reed have to skill-set to move to ILB? This is one of the big questions of the off season for me. If he does, that makes our ILB group pretty strong. If not, it is a pretty big need come draft day and FA.

The Pencil Neck
01-16-2013, 04:16 PM

There were several things like this from profootballtalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/12/bradie-james-is-joining-the-texans/) where it was said that Sharpton and James would compete. I'm not going to go through all the pre-season ht.com stuff, but I'm sure I saw several articles back at that time that mentioned competition between James and Sharpton.

The general consensus HERE was that James was going to get the job but my understanding was that he was going to have to beat out Sharpton for it. Not saying that beating out Sharpton was going to be a major challenge or anything, just that he'd have to.