PDA

View Full Version : The Film Room: Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans

Tailgate
01-09-2013, 03:02 PM
EXCELLENT breakdown of the Patriots schemes and how we should attack, with film to back it up. Very well done and a MUST read.

I'm not going to lie. Re-watching the Week 14 match-up with the Patriots was tough. It was like watching a car crash that you know could have been prevented if the driver decided to stay on the old familiar highway rather than taking a detour on icy back roads. The hardest part for me was knowing that the game was very winnable, and that it could (and should) have gone the Texans' way if they did not forget how to play their own patented brand of football Ė run the ball on the edges, play defense, capitalize on turnovers, donít make mistakes, and just do enough to move the chains and eat clock. Houston did none of those things, and they paid dearly for it.

One bad interception here, a missed fumble recovery there, and a couple ill-advised play calls later, the Texans were down 21-0. They aren't built for that. New England is constructed on the mentality of a cobra Ė strike quick, strike hard, and donít stop until the enemy dies. Houston is designed like a python Ė they grab hold and suffocate their foes to death slowly, painfully, and efficiently. Gary Kubiak canít come back from 21 points in ten minutes, but if itís a tie game and you need one ten minute drive to close the half and keep Tom Brady off the field--that he can do in spades.

I donít expect this game to be anything like the first, especially if the Bengals Wild Card match-up is any indication. Last week I studied arguably the most lethal defense in football (especially over the second half of the season, where in my opinion they were the best defense in the league) and found one weakness Ė play action passing to tight ends. Low and behold, the Texans happen to be really, really good at passing to tight ends, and Owen Daniels went off for nine catches and over 90 yards (just as I predicted). Also making his return was Garrett Graham, Houstonís second tight end; Graham missed the New England Monday nighter. His presence was felt modestly in the pass game on Saturday afternoon, but in both pass protection and run blocking, he proved just how important he really is. Matt Schaub was barely sniffed by the best front four in the league, and Houston ran the ball with authority on the edges. Schaub also showed much, much better decision making as a passer than in recent weeks (pick six notwithstanding), and finally started getting his three time Pro Bowl running back involved as a receiver of something other than screen passes. Foster was used for the first time in a long time as Schaubís go-to hot receiver, and he made the Bengals' linebacking corps look silly in open space all day long. It was vintage Foster, and it felt damn good to watch.

After reviewing and making my notes on several Patriots games (including the Texans match-up), as well as reviewing Houstonís wild card game, I've determined four rules that the Texans absolutely must follow if they want to score enough points to upset New England this weekend.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/1/9/3854224/the-film-room-why-the-patriots-should-be-so-very-very-afraid-of-the

deucetx
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Heh not sure about the very afraid but I agree the game will not be the same and some times the ball simply bounced the Patriots way. I think the Texans have a chance. Very good read man so thanks for bringing it up. The team just has to come to play and not kill themselves like last game and it will be a fight. That was really an excellent break down.

Thorn
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
bah humbug

The Texans can beat the Patsies, but in order to do that the Texans must play ABOVE their level and the Patsies must play BELOW their level. This can happen of course, anything can, and I hope like hell we beat the crap out of them.

But I wouldn't put any money on it.

mridge01
01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
OMG, I couldn't get past the title of your thread due to heavy laughter.
Why The Patriots Should Be So Very, Very Afraid Of The Texans that's funny.

:ahhaha:

Tailgate
01-09-2013, 04:01 PM

I agree, the title of HIS article is a bit dramatic. But the content is pretty spot on in terms of what we need to do to TRY and make this one an actual game.

That being said, the Pats are alot more healthy upfront which should help them against our attemps to run at the edges. Throw in the return of Gronk and who the eff knows how BB gameplans for us this time around... and it still would obviously be quite the upset if we somehow pulled it off.

Mailman
01-09-2013, 04:15 PM

Then perhaps you should actually read this because his analysis is very insightful, detailed, and spot-on according to the film. As the saying goes, tape don't lie. PUT ON THE FILM!

You might laugh, but I guarantee you they aren't laughing in the Patriots' practice facility. They know the Texans screwed up last time and Belichick will not take this offense lightly.

thunderkyss
01-09-2013, 04:37 PM
EXCELLENT breakdown of the Patriots schemes and how we should attack, with film to back it up. Very well done and a MUST read.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/1/9/3854224/the-film-room-why-the-patriots-should-be-so-very-very-afraid-of-the

That was very well done. Whoever did it.... kudos.

thunderkyss
01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
bah humbug

The Texans can beat the Patsies, but in order to do that the Texans must play ABOVE their level and the Patsies must play BELOW their level. This can happen of course, anything can, and I hope like hell we beat the crap out of them.

But I wouldn't put any money on it.

I hear ya.... but I hate this kind of thinking. Someone said the same thing before the last game & I pretty much said the same thing.... blah.....

If we're not good enough to beat them, so be it.

But I really believe some of our players had this kind of thinking & that's what led to the biggest snowball in Texans' history. Hurt us so bad, it lasted through 4 games. Our QB is still suffering from it.

Nah, they need to know (and I think we need to know) that them Patriots put their pants on just like we do, one leg at a time. Gronk's a beast, but so is OD. Welker's one of the best receivers to ever play the game.... so is Andre. Vince is a bad man.. so is Jj Watt.

Their QB looks good in a tank top.... big deal. This is a team game & our team is just as talented as theirs.

If we bring our A game, they don't stand a chance.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it

Mailman
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Excellent point, Fiddler. I hadn't thought of that but you are correct. The Texans have won a bunch of games the last two seasons and advanced to the AFC Divisional playoff yet so many are acting as if the Texans are a 9-win team that backed into the playoffs and have no business being on the same field with the big bad Pats.

I call bull****. They have the talent to beat this Pats team.

Jules Winnfield
01-09-2013, 04:51 PM
1.More 4-5 reciever sets.
2.stop running on 2nd and long.
3.take shots down the field.
4.play ben tate.
5.stop playing offensive players on special team defense. take out posey and forsett and put defensive starters in. its not like we can afford to be lax on special teams defense considering we already suck.
6.go back to a play that worked earlier in the game.
7.call plays for keyshawn, lestar, casey.
8.use more sugar huddle.
9.use the middle of the field passing plays instead of side line throws.
10.for the love of god use more screen plays for foster.

Thorn
01-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Excellent point, Fiddler. I hadn't thought of that but you are correct. The Texans have won a bunch of games the last two seasons and advanced to the AFC Divisional playoff yet so many are acting as if the Texans are a 9-win team that backed into the playoffs and have no business being on the same field with the big bad Pats.

Yes, they can do it. But it's not a question of talent alone. It's whether or not the Texans have the metal to pull it off in a playoff game. A playoff game where every little thing counts because the end of the season is ticking away for one of the two teams on the field.

HOU-TEX
01-09-2013, 04:54 PM
This article gives me more reason to wonder why we've gotten away from Foster in the passing game this season. I know we got him involved against the Bengals, but why so late? The dude can run, make people miss and get an extra yard or plenty after contact. Feed him!!!

Seems like the past few games Schaub forces the ball to AJ when his "timer" starts going off instead of looking for Arian

CloakNNNdagger
01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
This article gives me more reason to wonder why we've gotten away from Foster in the passing game this season. I know we got him involved against the Bengals, but why so late? The dude can run, make people miss and get an extra yard or plenty after contact. Feed him!!!

Seems like the past few games Schaub forces the ball to AJ when his "timer" starts going off instead of looking for Arian

or most anyone else.

mridge01
01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Then perhaps you should actually read this because his analysis is very insightful, detailed, and spot-on according to the film. As the saying goes, tape don't lie. PUT ON THE FILM!

You might laugh, but I guarantee you they aren't laughing in the Patriots' practice facility. They know the Texans screwed up last time and Belichick will not take this offense lightly.

I saw the film back on Dec. 9. End of discussion.

b0ng
01-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I posted his breakdown on the Bengal game and he hilighted Malaluaga as a potential achilles heel to the Bengals. Lo and behold, that player was picked on regularly in the WC game after that piece was written. It's not a bad read and I wondered what our newfound Pats members thought about it.

powda
01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Can we get a mod to edit the thread title? Fim room is killin me.

badboy
01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
My concern is which coach can adjust if his game plan goes wrong.

76Texan
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM

I believe we went back to the norm.
I had scribbled down some notes that lay around the house somewhere.

When AJ is healthy and OD is more or less healthy.

The pass distribution (targets, and just not completions) is quite normal.

And so we can afford to feed Arian more in the running game, unless we get way behind.

The other receivers (after AJ and Walter) need to step up.
They need to reduce the number of drops ; they need to play more physical not to let their man push them around; they need to run their routes better and not falling down, getting caught in the back of the defender, or giving the QB a little more room along the sideline, etc.

Dutchrudder
01-09-2013, 06:09 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/BACXcO8CAAAr_Z0.jpg

hahaha!

76Texan
01-09-2013, 06:12 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/BACXcO8CAAAr_Z0.jpg

hahaha!

Damn, that looks so real. :lol:

Tailgate
01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Can we get a mod to edit the thread title? Fim room is killin me.

Lol, my bad.

GRONKED
01-09-2013, 07:46 PM
The Texans have a shot here..but lol!

Plz stop glorifying the Bengal performance.

Schaubs play? Dominant arian? If you kick a couple of fgs..and throw that pick 6 in Foxboro, youll be down 20 plus by halftime. the exact same effort that resulted in a w at home vs Bengal would not cut it @ Foxboro.

Imo the establish foster and keep Brady off the field recipe is easy-too easy. Just like in the first game, bb will make that very difficult. If kubiak comes out w that gameplan...itll get ugly.
We have a top rush d. Yes, you can have similar success to that you had vs cincy. But do the math--that requires your d to shut down Brady all day. Gluck w that.

If schaub comes out slingin and hits some big plays, its anyones game. Our pass d is improving but average at best. If schaub brings his a game he can have a big day vs our secondary. Playing conservative or not to lose is the surest way to end up w a l imo.

Tailgate
01-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Schaubs play? Dominant arian? If you kick a couple of fgs..and throw that pick 6 in Foxboro, youll be down 20 plus by halftime. the exact same effort that resulted in a w at home vs Bengal would not cut it @ Foxboro.

Imo the establish foster and keep Brady off the field recipe is easy-too easy. Just like in the first game, bb will make that very difficult. If kubiak comes out w that gameplan...itll get ugly.
We have a top rush d. Yes, you can have similar success to that you had vs cincy. But do the math--that requires your d to shut down Brady all day. Gluck w that.

If schaub comes out slingin and hits some big plays, its anyones game. Our pass d is improving but average at best. If schaub brings his a game he can have a big day vs our secondary. Playing conservative or not to lose is the surest way to end up w a l imo.

Did you even read it?

Surreal McCoy
01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
1.More 4-5 reciever sets.
2.stop running on 2nd and long.
3.take shots down the field.
4.play ben tate.
5.stop playing offensive players on special team defense. take out posey and forsett and put defensive starters in. its not like we can afford to be lax on special teams defense considering we already suck.
6.go back to a play that worked earlier in the game.
7.call plays for keyshawn, lestar, casey.
8.use more sugar huddle.
9.use the middle of the field passing plays instead of side line throws.
10.for the love of god use more screen plays for foster.

Which is the exact opposite of what the article is suggesting.
:wadepalm:

Also, the author of said article did a piece before the Bengals game claiming our TEs would have a field day and that Maualuga was there to be abused in the passing game. I'd say he was pretty much spot on.

BullBlitz
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
No one seems to be considering the possibility that the Patriots could beat us even worse than they did on December 10th. It's possible. They have Gronkowski back and we are down to Barrett Ruud at MLB.

GRONKED
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Ok, took the time to read the whole article. Some good thoughts and valid points that I agree w.

Some issues...

Rule 1 , about not running at wilfork...obv agree. That said, author is oversimplifying a bit. Citing the two outside runs as evidence that you can just do that all day is weak. Once the pats establish that youre afraid to run up the middle, they can cheat a lil and make getting to the outside impossible. Weve faced several good rushers...rayrice and cj2k this year.. e.rarely get exploited there. Using the fact that graham wasn't there as an excuse as to why Houston only ran outside a couple times is a reach.

Rule 2 about using our own system against us...good ideas and will work sometimes...but sounded a little like hes reinventing the wheel. If you continually exploit a weakness in our defense, we will adjust.

Rule 3, same deal. Its not that easy. Fact is schaub wasn't seeing the whole field and making good decisions...and thats what has to change. Foster will not be wide open all game ..defense would quickly adjust. Those snapshots show me more of a problem than solution tbh. Schaub has to go thru his progressions.

All in all..how can you write an article so detailed and not touch on how youre gonna slow Brady down? If he had to, Brady coulda had us in the 50s or 60s...no offensive adjustments woulda changed the outcome then.

gtexan02
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Would you believe Foster got almost 60 targets in the pass game this season? For comparison, he was targeted about 70 times last year. This season he had 200 yards receiving. Last year 600. He's not effective as a receiver, either bc of something up with him, because we're using him too heavily in the run game, or bc of the playcalls

rush2112mn
01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
It was a murphys law game if you ask me.....what could go wrong....did go wrong......
I think Sunday will be a evenly balanced game for the Texans. If the Texans can get a lead.......I think the Texans can play keep away from Brady.....

I think if the Texans can get some of those short passes to Foster...and make those defensive line players for Patriots have to run more....by the 4th quarter..they will be tired......

Also, hopefully, the Texans will have Garrett Graham back ....and Newton and Brooks on the right side.......
It all goes back to the line of scrimmage...whoever controls it is going to win the game.....plain and simple.......

b0ng
01-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Ok, took the time to read the whole article. Some good thoughts and valid points that I agree w.

Some issues...

Rule 1 , about not running at wilfork...obv agree. That said, author is oversimplifying a bit. Citing the two outside runs as evidence that you can just do that all day is weak. Once the pats establish that youre afraid to run up the middle, they can cheat a lil and make getting to the outside impossible. Weve faced several good rushers...rayrice and cj2k this year.. e.rarely get exploited there. Using the fact that graham wasn't there as an excuse as to why Houston only ran outside a couple times is a reach.

Rule 2 about using our own system against us...good ideas and will work sometimes...but sounded a little like hes reinventing the wheel. If you continually exploit a weakness in our defense, we will adjust.

Rule 3, same deal. Its not that easy. Fact is schaub wasn't seeing the whole field and making good decisions...and thats what has to change. Foster will not be wide open all game ..defense would quickly adjust. Those snapshots show me more of a problem than solution tbh. Schaub has to go thru his progressions.

All in all..how can you write an article so detailed and not touch on how youre gonna slow Brady down? If he had to, Brady coulda had us in the 50s or 60s...no offensive adjustments woulda changed the outcome then.

I believe that the article was written as "Ways that are possible to attack the Patriots" and less of a general overview of the whole game.

417Texan
01-09-2013, 11:54 PM

Texans have tons of talent to put a ass whipp on Pats.

coltfan123
01-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Texans have the talen to beat the pats but they have lil room for error..plus if texans win and broncos lose...the afc championship is played in houston.. I think the biggest factor can kubiak get past himself and play aggresive? texans got the talent but i question there coaching staff..

GRONKED
01-10-2013, 12:09 AM
I believe that the article was written as "Ways that are possible to attack the Patriots" and less of a general overview of the whole game.

Idk..reread the intro (game should have went Texans way) and conclusion (next one will--Texans win). Sounds like he thinks hes posted the solution to the pats.

If Texans are to make this a game or win it...adjustments have to be on the d side of the ball. Jj watt has to wreak havoc like only he can. Wade has to confuse brady into some mistakes.

Every decent offense can put up pts on the pats--this guy didn't reveal anything. Even if the tex put up 30 on sunday theyll still get blown out if they dont show up on d again.

MEGA SWATT
01-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Damn, that looks so real. :lol:

that's because it is :d:

The Texans have to play disciplined, and poised - like they've been there before (because they have).

I can see the Texans moving the ball downfield and scoring on them in an opening drive and getting their attention. Then our D gets all nasty and pressures TB.

They can't make the ticky-tack penalties on O or D that stop our drives or prolong theirs.

Can you imagine if the Ravens beat the Broncos - how much more energized the Texans will play...

thunderkyss
01-10-2013, 12:21 AM
I posted his breakdown on the Bengal game and he hilighted Malaluaga as a potential achilles heel to the Bengals. Lo and behold, that player was picked on regularly in the WC game after that piece was written. It's not a bad read and I wondered what our newfound Pats members thought about it.

Most of them (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/996038-brb-film-review-why-texans-will-play-better-page3.html) appreciate the breakdown of their defense & found much of it scary accurate.

The consensus seems to be that they don't believe the Texans can play the perfect game the author suggests.

thunderkyss
01-10-2013, 12:25 AM
The other receivers (after AJ and Walter) need to step up.
They need to reduce the number of drops ; they need to play more physical not to let their man push them around; they need to run their routes better and not falling down, getting caught in the back of the defender, or giving the QB a little more room along the sideline, etc.

I think this answers his question.

We haven't been featuring Foster in the run game, because we've been trying to work everyone in from Graham to Casey to LeStar, Martin, & Posey.

There's only so many balls to go around.

MEGA SWATT
01-10-2013, 12:33 AM

Schaubs play? Dominant arian? If you kick a couple of fgs..and throw that pick 6 in Foxboro, youll be down 20 plus by halftime. the exact same effort that resulted in a w at home vs Bengal would not cut it @ Foxboro.Imo the establish foster and keep Brady off the field recipe is easy-too easy. Just like in the first game, bb will make that very difficult. If kubiak comes out w that gameplan...itll get ugly.

You're just as guilty by extrapolating our future play next Sunday based on the Texans last game vs. the BenGals. I like that the Pats are feeling pretty high on themselves.:evil:

Pats
01-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Texans have tons of talent to put a ass whipp on Pats.

Where?

Not at TE,QB,HC,NT and WR. Rildley, Woodhead and Bolden are a formidable group of RBs.

MEGA SWATT
01-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Where?

Not at TE,QB,HC,NT and WR. Rildley, Woodhead and Bolden are a formidable group of RBs.

I hope the pats are as dismissive as some of their fans.:swatter:

thunderkyss
01-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Idk..reread the intro (game should have went Texans way) and conclusion (next one will--Texans win). Sounds like he thinks hes posted the solution to the pats.

If Texans are to make this a game or win it...adjustments have to be on the d side of the ball. Jj watt has to wreak havoc like only he can. Wade has to confuse brady into some mistakes.

Every decent offense can put up pts on the pats--this guy didn't reveal anything. Even if the tex put up 30 on sunday theyll still get blown out if they dont show up on d again.

Three things that are much improved on the defensive side of the ball are:

Jjo is healthy

Johnathan Joseph played in the last game, but it was his first game back from injury. He shouldn't have played. He's a gambler, baits the throw. Back in December, he couldn't "make-up" ground. Now, he'll be able to get back to the receiver & make a play on the ball.

Jjo being healthy will free up our safeties and LBs to gang bang Gronk.

Brandon Harris is salted

He was a penalty machine. He was wide-eyed & full of energy. Now, he's settled down a bit. He's a very athletic, physical, cover corner who will play the slot. He's a big play waiting to happen.

We know who our ILBs are going to be

This will be the first time since week 6 that we will start the same pair of ILBs since week 6. Reggie Herring & Wade Smith does a good job of getting them prepared. Had they not been playing musical chairs (due to injury) we can at least count on some consistency from the position. If the rest of the defense knows what to expect from their ILBs, they'll be able to adjust & compensate.

The defense is only part of the equation. Jj Watt & the boys are pretty good, but the possibility for Brady to score is always there. Our best defense will be our offense.

We failed woefully in December & little of what we saw from the Bengals' game will translate. Lots of questions on the offense to be sure, but those are the cards we've been dealt.

However, being that we haven't seen our best offense in quite a while, BB really won't know what to expect till Sunday.

Pats
01-10-2013, 01:00 AM
I hope the pats are as dismissive as some of their fans.:swatter:

I hope the Texans think theyre going to roll over NE.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 01:02 AM
I don't know how the Texans are going to get it done, but if you look at the losses the Pats incurred with Brady under the helm, we're going to have to limit their scoring under 17 points to have a realistic chance to win.

That means the ST has to rise up, no bonehead mistake from any of the 3 units.

The best chance is for the D to force a couple of critical turnovers.

We have to win the turnover battle, and we have to be able to capitalize on any mistake the Pats make.

The Lady Luck has to be on our side.

A 17-16 game will do it for me.

3-2 if need be. :)=P

thunderkyss
01-10-2013, 01:08 AM
I hope the Texans think theyre going to roll over NE.

I hope they play like they believe it.

MEGA SWATT
01-10-2013, 01:19 AM

55 degrees and 20% chance of rain is perfect weather for the Texans to kick some ass.:cowboy1::swatter:

fiasco west
01-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Where?

So Owen Daniels is a scrub or something? No he's not Gronk but the TExans have tons of talent all over the field.

Your RBs are 'formidable' our RB is top 5 elite. So there.

klockWork
01-10-2013, 01:35 AM
I got excited when I saw the title of the thread. Then I had to stop half-way reading through the battleredblog and realized this was just a gameplan against the NE defense? Really? This is NE defense we're talking about? Is this our biggest concern here? This is one of the worst D in the league for quite a few years now and if they weren't so fortunate with getting all those TOs in the season this would be a dead last rank defense. It shouldn't take an advance offensive gameplan to move and score against this defense. Just watch tapes of 31 other teams that does this every week.

Someone pm me when there's a thread on how to stop the Patriots offense. The rest of the NFL teams are still waiting on that thread also.

michaelm
01-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Someone pm me when there's a thread on how to stop the Patriots offense. The rest of the NFL teams are still waiting on that thread also.

Bernard Pollard figured it out.

Txn_in_FL
01-10-2013, 03:59 AM
Yeah... the Pats are cobras all right...

http://hollywoodjesus.com/movie/dodgeball/11.jpg

thunderkyss
01-10-2013, 08:36 AM
55 degrees and 20% chance of rain is perfect weather for the Texans to kick some ass.:cowboy1::swatter:

Helzzz Yeah

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/78698/2309865-ric_flair_wooooooo_o_gifsoup.com.gif

wooooooo woo woo woo woo wooooo!!!

Pats
01-10-2013, 08:37 AM

Maybe the Texans will wear the letterman jackets again.

Pats
01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
So Owen Daniels is a scrub or something? No he's not Gronk but the TExans have tons of talent all over the field.

Your RBs are 'formidable' our RB is top 5 elite. So there.

Daniels is the 23rd ranked TE in the NFL. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te Hernandez is comparable to him and Hernandez has been playing injured most of the season.

Ridley is ranked higher than Foster who was stuffed for 46 yards last game. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb2012

Where is all this talent?

TheMatrix31
01-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Well that settles it, lol. Owen Daniels is the 23rd best TE in football and Stevan Ridley is better than Arian Foster.

thunderkyss
01-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Daniels is the 23rd ranked TE in the NFL. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te Hernandez is comparable to him and Hernandez has been playing injured most of the season.

Ridley is ranked higher than Foster who was stuffed for 46 yards last game. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb2012

You're right, we're scrubs. Make sure the Patriots understands this.

BigBull17
01-10-2013, 09:23 AM

To win, other Texans defenders have to show up. Watt had 5 knock downs, but just about everyone else had horrible games. Safetys need to stay at home and not bite on play action. Have to pick up the ball when you force a fumble. Have to NOT extend drives with penalties. Somebody NOT named Watt needs to win a battle on their pass rush.

On offense Matt has to see wide open recievers and not chuck it up to 80. BLITZ PICK UP. Have to win your battle run blocking. Playing their game and taking 9 minute drives will go a long way.

Tailgate
01-10-2013, 09:29 AM

Are you really trying to convince yourself Ridley is on the same level as Foster, or have you already gone full retard?

mridge01
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM

If you believe Ridley is a better back than Foster, you're just stupid. I guarantee the Pats would take Foster over Ridley in a heartbeat if they were given the option to choose between the two. Hell, every other team would too. Ridley is decent, and a good fit for the Patriots, but better than Arian Foster... beyotch please.

TexanSam
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Are you really trying to convince yourself Ridley is on the same level as Foster, or have you already gone full retard?

To be fair, Ridley did have a better year than Foster did. He had 290 carries for 1263 yards for a 5.1 ypc. Foster had 351 carries for 1424 yards and a 4.1 ypc. Add 60 more carries to Ridley and he probably has more yards than Foster. Foster's body of work over the last 3 seasons makes him the better player however. His weak sauce comment than the Texans lack talent though is ridiculous though.

Tailgate
01-10-2013, 09:38 AM
To be fair, Ridley probably did have a better year than Foster did. He had 290 carries for 1263 yards for a 5.1 ypc. Foster had 351 carries for 1424 yards and a 4.1 ypc. Foster's body of work over the last 3 seasons makes him the better player, but for this season Ridley was better. His weak sauce comment than the Texans lack talent though is ridiculous though.

Dont even try to give that man any ammo maaaan. Cmon. I am well aware of WHY Ridley is ranked higher according to Football Outsiders. That has NOTHING to do with thier talent levels and overall capabilities as running backs. Ridley is a good back no doubt, but Foster is ELITE. Thus there was no reason for him to even bring this up... as you already mentioned, Foster is apart of the talent pool we have currently. Nothing he says takes away from that, unless he has gone full retard.

Is he being FAIR?

TexanSam
01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Dont even try to give that man any ammo maaaan. Cmon. I am well aware of WHY Ridley is ranked higher according to Football Outsiders. That has NOTHING to do with thier talent levels and overall capabilities as running backs. Ridley is a good back no doubt, but Foster is ELITE. Thus there was no reason for him to even bring this up... as you already mentioned, Foster is apart of the talent pool we have currently. Nothing he says takes away from that, unless he has gone full retard.

I don't care about giving a guy ammo. He's going to continue to make a fool of himself regardless. I'm just stating the facts. I'm not saying Foster isn't elite and he's obviously one of many talented players on the roster.

thunderkyss
01-10-2013, 09:47 AM
To be fair, Ridley did have a better year than Foster did. He had 290 carries for 1263 yards for a 5.1 ypc. Foster had 351 carries for 1424 yards and a 4.1 ypc. Add 60 more carries to Ridley and he probably has more yards than Foster. Foster's body of work over the last 3 seasons makes him the better player however. His weak sauce comment than the Texans lack talent though is ridiculous though.

Fantasy wise, who would you pick for your team next season?

There are reasons why Ridley had a better year than Foster.... but it ain't because he's the better of the two. Foster underachieved this year.... we all know this. Ridley overachieved.... or at least he surprised a bunch of people.

TexanSam
01-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Fantasy wise, who would you pick for your team next season?

There are reasons why Ridley had a better year than Foster.... but it ain't because he's the better of the two. Foster underachieved this year.... we all know this. Ridley overachieved.... or at least he surprised a bunch of people.

I don't know. Foster is more of weapon out of the backfield (although he wasn't nearly as good a receiver this year compared to years past) but his ypc going down two straight years makes me nervous.

I do know this though. Foster is a beast in the playoffs.

mridge01
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Ridley had 12 TDs, Foster had 17 total. Easy decision.

fiasco west
01-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Same Rankings Put Decker over Roddy White so have fun with that. The fact that Foster is having a 'bad' year with 1500 yards is really all you need to know about the two.

Where is all the talent? You have the Center, LG, and LT as pro-bowl players. You have a top 5 RB, a really good TE that must be covered.

On defense you have the BEST defensive player in the NFL in J.J. Watt, Antonio Smith, Joseph, Manning, Quinn are all good players. You all are just lucky that Cushing is not playing and I mean extremely lucky that he's not playing or your team is probably playing in Reliant this weekend.

With all that said, I don't have to make a case that this team has talent. They went 12-4 so obviously they have talent.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 11:49 AM

O. D. Has been playing hurt for awhile.
And we don't know how effective the Gronk will be after a long lay-off.
Maybe he's fresher; maybe he has some rust; maybe the Texans knock him out again.

Vinny
01-10-2013, 12:01 PM
The thing that gives me a glimpse of hope is that it is very tough to win twice against anyone in this league. The Texans slow, plodding offense will likely be shut down this weekend since it seems to have been exposed by late November (nobody is falling for the tricky stuff this late in the season) but if they can play great defense they have a shot. I wish we were playing the Ratbirds like we should be playing...too bad we didn't let Denver v NE cancel one of themselves out....but that hash is just re-hash at this point. :)

DX-TEX
01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
O. D. Has been playing hurt for awhile.
And we don't know how effective the Gronk will be after a long lay-off.
Maybe he's fresher; maybe he has some rust; maybe the Texans knock him out again.

Numerous articles I have read have stated that gronkowski was favoring the broken arm in the final game against the Dolphins.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
The thing that gives me a glimpse of hope is that it is very tough to win twice against anyone in this league. The Texans slow, plodding offense will likely be shut down this weekend since it seems to have been exposed by late November (nobody is falling for the tricky stuff this late in the season) but if they can play great defense they have a shot. I wish we were playing the Ratbirds like we should be playing...too bad we didn't let Denver v NE cancel one of themselves out....but that hash is just re-hash at this point. :)

The Pats fell for their own tricky play when. Patrick Cbung fumbled the direct snap on a fake punt against the Jets in their last play-off game. :clap:

76Texan
01-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Numerous articles I have read have stated that gronkowski was favoring the broken arm in the final game against the Dolphins.

He will have two more weeks to nurse it by game time.

Heck, he might have been faking it! :spit:

Vinny
01-10-2013, 12:39 PM
The Pats fell for their own tricky play when. Patrick Cbung fumbled the direct snap on a fake punt against the Jets in their last play-off game. :clap:nothing to do with what I was talking about...but hey, you go boie

76Texan
01-10-2013, 12:44 PM
nothing to do with what I was talking about...but hey, you go boie

What I said was that trick play came back and bit the trickster in the rear end.:specnatz:

Vinny
01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
What I said was that trick play came back and bit the trickster in the rear end.:specnatz:
I can read...it still had nothing to do with my point.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I can read...it still had nothing to do with my point.

Only the portion in parentheses. :swatter:

Goodwrench3
01-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Retarded comment....:brickwall:

Double Barrel
01-10-2013, 01:07 PM

I heard an interesting stat about Tom Brady on the radio this morning.

When he's pressured by a blitz and only has up to 3 seconds to pass, he's something around 70% completion.

But, when he's given longer to pass - i.e. a cover 2 defense - his completions drop to around 40%.

I think Wade's aggressive style is something that plays into one of Brady's strengths. Do you think there is any chance that Wade dials it back and tries to force the Patriots to run more?

I agree with you about beating a team twice in a season. Kubiak acts like they do not remember that game, but I do not believe it. Of course they remember a game that started their tailspin, a game in which they tried to strut up to Foxboro and got manhandled and dominated. I'm hoping this is the incentive for them in some way. It would be for most people.

C Madd
01-10-2013, 01:07 PM

I think that, despite what most would say, the offense showed signs of life against the Bengals. Do I think we would win a shoot-out with NE? No. But, I don't think it is a certainty that our offense gets shut down. The slump in the last part of the season seemed more about lack of execution than defenses exposing it.

C Madd
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM

When he's pressured by a blitz and only has up to 3 seconds to pass, he's something around 70% completion.

But, when he's given longer to pass - i.e. a cover 2 defense - his completions drop to around 40%.

I think Wade's aggressive style is something that plays into one of Brady's strengths. Do you think there is any chance that Wade dials it back and tries to force the Patriots to run more?

I agree with you about beating a team twice in a season. Kubiak acts like they do not remember that game, but I do not believe it. Of course they remember a game that started their tailspin, a game in which they tried to strut up to Foxboro and got manhandled and dominated. I'm hoping this is the incentive for them in some way. It would be for most people.

Hopefully, Wade will change it up similar to how Rex Ryan changed up the defense in the Jets' playoff rematch versus the Pats in 2010.

Tailgate
01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Hopefully, Wade will change it up similar to how Rex Ryan changed up the defense in the Jets' playoff rematch versus the Pats in 2010.

In theory, its the way to go... In reality can we be efficient enough against this offense when we hardly ever played the zone? Or are we so committed to man, that there is no turning back? Honest question.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 01:28 PM

40%?

I found it hard to believe.

I rewatched the Jets Patriots 2010 play-off game a couple days ago when the Jets rushed mostly 3 or 4 (actually, it's more complicate than that), Brady was still doing well.

29-45 (64.44%) for 299 yards and 2 TDs.

The one INT he threw was just a weird play where he threw over the head of the RB into the hands of a LB (he wasn't pressured).

And his TE dropped a TD (Crumpler I think) in the end zone.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 01:30 PM

In theory, its the way to go... In reality can we be efficient enough against this offense when we hardly ever played the zone? Or are we so committed to man, that there is no turning back? Honest question.

It's quite a bit more involved than that.
I want to rewatch that Jets game one more time to really get into it.
I did watch each play quite carefully, but didn't take a whole lot of notes for the second half.

Tailgate
01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
40%?

I rewatched the Jets Patriots 2010 play-off game a couple days ago when the Jets rushed mostly 3 or 4 (actually, it's more complicate than that), Brady was still doing well.

29-45 (64.44%) for 299 yards and 2 TDs.

The one INT he threw was just a weird play where he threw over the head of the RB into the hands of a LB (he wasn't pressured).

And his TE dropped a TD (Crumpler I think) in the end zone.

41% if he takes longer than 3 secs to get rid of the ball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4738155/against-blitz-brady-at-his-best

There is precedent for a heavy-blitzing 3-4 defense playing aggressively in the regular season against Brady and losing, then meeting again in the postseason and winning. The 2009 Ravens and 2010 Jets both lost regular-season meetings and gained redemption in the playoffs, but they had to adjust their strategy:

2009 Ravens
* Baltimore sent at least five rushers on 21 of 37 dropbacks (56.8 percent) in a Week 4 loss. Brady finished 14 of 20 for 167 yards and the game-winning touchdown against added pressure, and was sacked only once.

Comparing Tom Brady vs. 5+ rushers - facing
'09 Ravens/'10 Jets in reg. season & playoffs:

Pct of Tot Dropbacks:

Reg - 48%
Playoffs - 17%

Dropbacks per Sack:

Reg - 17.0
Playoffs - 8.0

TD-Int:

Reg - 4-0
Playoffs - 0-0

Total QBR:

Reg - 2-1 record
Playoffs - 0-2 record

* In their playoff rematch, the Ravens sent extra rushers on 10 of 45 dropbacks (22.2 percent), and Brady’s overall numbers in Baltimore’s playoff win were 23 of 42, 154 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions. Brady also was sacked three times and fumbled on New England’s opening drive, setting up the Ravens at the NE 17-yard line.

2010 Jets
* New York sent at least five rushers in their two regular-season meetings on 30 of 69 dropbacks (43.5 percent), with Brady finishing 18 of 28 for 335 yards and three touchdowns. Though the Jets won their first meeting of the season in Week 2, New England won 45-3 in Week 13 on Monday Night Football, highlighted by Brady’s 8-of-13, 199-yard, 3-TD performance against added pressure.

* In the playoffs, the Jets sent extra pressure on 6 of 50 dropbacks (12.0 percent), and Brady was sacked five times in New York’s win, finishing 29 of 45 for 299 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

If history holds, committing extra pass rushers on Sunday would not be wise for Wade Phillips and the Texans’ defense. Those defenders would be better served dropping into coverage and taking away quick-to-develop routes, like the 2009 Ravens and 2010 Jets did in previous playoff victories.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 01:46 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4738155/against-blitz-brady-at-his-best

Did they really have somebody time every single of his passes?

And they referred to the Jets play-off game (but his completion percentage didn't suffer in that game); the Pats lost for various reasons, and not simply because of more men in coverage (it's more involved than tha.)

Tailgate
01-10-2013, 01:54 PM

And they referred to the Jets play-off game (but his completion percentage didn't suffer in that game); the Pats lost for various reasons, and not simply because of more men in coverage (it's more involved than tha.)

But his yards per pass completion went from 10.5 in the reg blowout to 5.8 in the playoff loss, and they got to Brady 2 more times. Pats went from 4-10 on 3rd downs to 5-14 in the second game. More 3rd downs, and more 3rd and longs I would presume. And the pats did not get a touchdown till the end of the 3rd quarter in that game. I mean, its some pretty damning evidence.

Side note: Dirty Sanchez went from 3 pics to 3 tds in the second game also. And the Pats have a better running game now.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 02:08 PM
But his yards per pass completion went from 10.5 in the reg blowout to 5.8 in the playoff loss, and they got to Brady 2 more times. Pats went from 4-10 on 3rd downs to 5-14 in the second game. More 3rd downs, and more 3rd and longs I would presume. And the pats did not get a touchdown till the end of the 3rd quarter in that game. I mean, its some pretty damning evidence.

Side note: Dirty Sanchez went from 3 pics to 3 tds in the second game also. And the Pats have a better running game now.

I just posted the game notes of the first half of the Jets play-off game; there's more than meet the eyes.

C Madd
01-10-2013, 02:12 PM

I found it interesting that Brady was getting sacked at a higher average per dropback when the Ravens and Jets were not bringing extra defenders versus when they did.

Tailgate
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I just posted the game notes of the first half of the Jets play-off game; there's more than meet the eyes.

Nice! Saw them. So what does that game tell you when looking at the stats provided?

76Texan
01-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Nice! Saw them. So what does that game tell you when looking at the stats provided?

I'm gathering my thoughts and will post them in that thread.

klockWork
01-10-2013, 03:42 PM

There is a misconception in the NFL world that if you pressure Brady he will fold and lose his game. This is only true if those pressure comes from a four man rush.

I'm shocked that folks here think this is news. Didn't we learned that from playing GB? I remember an hour leading to the mnf espn and nfl networks had analysts advising Texans to limit their blitz against Brady base on their own studies of NE.

Vinny
01-10-2013, 05:14 PM
I can't figure out what I'm looking at, but if I stack these numbers a certain way I'll tell you what you saw.

Tailgate
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
So back to my question, are we even equipped to run an efficient zone? I do know Watt and Smith are monsters on the D-Line and would more than play their part.

76Texan
01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
So back to my question, are we even equipped to run an efficient zone? I do know Watt and Smith are monsters on the D-Line and would more than play their part.

I hope Newton is healthy enough to be more efficient thanHarris the last time.
I hope Jones has a better feel for what he's up against.
I hope Brandon Brooks continues to improve as well.

C Madd
01-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah... the Pats are cobras all right...

I'm starting to see the resemblance.

http://i.imgur.com/rQdHe.jpg

Pats
01-11-2013, 08:09 AM

People here think the Texans are on the same level as NE and that Bum Phillips is a defensive mastermind.

michaelm
01-11-2013, 09:11 AM
People here think the Texans are on the same level as NE and that Bum Phillips is a defensive mastermind.

1) I'm pretty sure most people here recognize that the Texans are underdogs, and will have to play their best game to have a chance at taking down the pats, so you obviously don't know what you're taliking about.

2) Bum Phillips WAS a defensive master mind when he coached, but he's 89 and retired now.

Now beat it, and put your head back in Brady's jock.

Pats
01-11-2013, 09:17 AM
If you believe Ridley is a better back than Foster, you're just stupid. I guarantee the Pats would take Foster over Ridley in a heartbeat if they were given the option to choose between the two. Hell, every other team would too. Ridley is decent, and a good fit for the Patriots, but better than Arian Foster... beyotch please.

Wade is stupid and fat.

Ridley shares RB duties with Woodhead, Vereen and Bolden.

Tailgate
01-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Wade is stupid and fat.

Ooooooooooooooohhhh buuuuurrrnnnn!!!! Lol, either you are 13 yrs old or you are in fact half retarded.

Double Barrel
01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
40%?

Teddy Johnson was talking about those stats on 790 AM yesterday morning.

I should have clarified about the longer than 3 seconds, and much thanks to Tailgate for adding more details.

Much appreciated, man! :thumbup

76Texan
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM

I should have clarified about the longer than 3 seconds, and much thanks to Tailgate for adding more details.

One of the Pats fans had a stat showing Brady getting the ball out on the average in some 2.22 seconds.

The number of times he held the ball for over 3.5 seconds is probably few.
And some of that probably on play action where usually you don't complete as many passes, but when you do, it's a long gain, or a TD.

76Texan
01-11-2013, 01:02 PM

One of the Pats fans had a stat showing Brady getting the ball out on the average in some 2.22 seconds.

The number of times he held the ball for over 3.5 seconds is probably few.
And some of that probably on play action where usually you don't complete as many passes, but when you do, it's a long gain, or a TD.
Like I just went back and took a quick look.

We rushed 4 four times in the first quarter, Brady still got the ball out very quickly.

Double Barrel
01-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Like I just went back and took a quick look.

We rushed 4 four times in the first quarter, Brady still got the ball out very quickly.

His quick release is pretty amazing, especially when you consider his accuracy. Of course, we're talking a HoF player here while he's still playing, so it's not a surprise.

The only way to deal with Brady is keep him off the field with long, sustained offensive drives. Sort of a war of attrition like the first time we finally beat Manning. Lots of run game, some good defensive plays, and try to win a close one in the 4th.

76Texan
01-11-2013, 03:32 PM
His quick release is pretty amazing, especially when you consider his accuracy. Of course, we're talking a HoF player here while he's still playing, so it's not a surprise.

The only way to deal with Brady is keep him off the field with long, sustained offensive drives. Sort of a war of attrition like the first time we finally beat Manning. Lots of run game, some good defensive plays, and try to win a close one in the 4th.

I just as soon try to sweet talk Lady Luck into giving us some breaks.

michaelm
01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
On offense, somebody who really hasn't stepped up with a big game needs to step up in this one.

Any of these will mean one of these guys made a significant contribution, IMO
Posey - 4-5 catches; 75-80 yds; 1 TD
Martin - 2-3 catches; 55-60 yds reciving; 2-3 rushes; 25 yds rushing (end around)
Jean - 3-4 catches; 55-60 yds; 1 TD; 2-3 red zone targets

Personally, I am interested in seeing KMart get a few more end around opportunities, and also being used as a decoy end around.

I don't think it's vital to this game, however I really think the guy is a play maker, but he still needs to work on his hands, and they need to find better ways of getting him the ball.

thunderkyss
01-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I thought Martin was doing pretty good for a while there. still don't understand why we took him out of the offense for a little while there. it was nice to see that end around, but we've had games where he got 4 or 5 targets then poof, he was gone.

76Texan
01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I thought Martin was doing pretty good for a while there. still don't understand why we took him out of the offense for a little while there. it was nice to see that end around, but we've had games where he got 4 or 5 targets then poof, he was gone.

Critical drops on top of not winning the physical battle to get into good position to catch the ball. He also slipped on at least a couple of plays, too.

michaelm
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM

I tailgate next to AJ (Alan Burge), and we were talking about KMart before the Bengals game.
I mentioned to him that I hadn't seen Martin run any end arounds in a while, and he said he couldn't remember any recent ones either.
Low and behold, Kmart had a pretty decent one in that game. 16 yards.
I'd like to see more of that.

Funny, I just looked at his stats, and he averages only 8.5 yds per reception, but 13.3 yds per rush.

TheMatrix31
01-12-2013, 05:02 AM
Burge deleted his twitter? I knew I was missing something from my feed.

panamamyers
01-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I disagree that the Texans have to play above their level and Patriots blow their level.
I think if both teams play as well as they can then Houston wins.

We are mistakenly thinking this is a great NE team because of what they did to the Texans. Then you look at the Rams game and the Colts game, and half of their point differential came off of those three games.

Go look at some of the boxscores over the second half of the season.

Jaguars outgained them by 100 yards of offense.
Bills outgained them by 140 yards.

Patriots got very luck to go 7-1 over the second half of the season. They didn't steamroll everyone. They got steamrolled by the Niners, and by all rights, probably should have been beaten by the Jaguars and Bills.

The first game, the Patriots got all the bounces. You can't expect all of those plays to play out the same way. It's a different game. It's not a DVR where we just replay the first game. Kareem falls on that fumble. Schaub doesn't throw a pick when Foster was wide open short....Just those two plays break the Texans way and Houston probably wins the game.

ZPatsFan
01-12-2013, 12:13 PM
This has been an enlightening discussion and great analysis. Tommorrow is another day, and we will see two good teams go at it.

Whatever the outcome, I wish y'all a good time and a clean game wihout injury. :clap:

76Texan
01-12-2013, 01:24 PM
This has been an enlightening discussion and great analysis. Tommorrow is another day, and we will see two good teams go at it.

Whatever the outcome, I wish y'all a good time and a clean game wihout injury. :clap:

I hope we have a great game to watch, and may the luckier team win. :ahhaha::slapfight::horn:

GRONKED
01-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I disagree that the Texans have to play above their level and Patriots blow their level.
I think if both teams play as well as they can then Houston wins.

We are mistakenly thinking this is a great NE team because of what they did to the Texans. Then you look at the Rams game and the Colts game, and half of their point differential came off of those three games.

Go look at some of the boxscores over the second half of the season.

Jaguars outgained them by 100 yards of offense.
Bills outgained them by 140 yards.

Patriots got very luck to go 7-1 over the second half of the season. They didn't steamroll everyone. They got steamrolled by the Niners, and by all rights, probably should have been beaten by the Jaguars and Bills.

The first game, the Patriots got all the bounces. You can't expect all of those plays to play out the same way. It's a different game. It's not a DVR where we just replay the first game. Kareem falls on that fumble. Schaub doesn't throw a pick when Foster was wide open short....Just those two plays break the Texans way and Houston probably wins the game.

Lollll what are you smoking?

Steamrolled by niners? Idk, when i think steamrolled im thinkin more along the lines of what pats and packers did to you. Not a down to the wire 3 pt loss in which everything that could go wrong did.
Analyzing yards? I think how your team performs in crunch time, in must win games is more relevant.

@ pats. Yikes. Home vs colts...ugly but youll take it. Home vs vikes...uh oh. @ colts...

Texans can win, but they definitely "shouldnt". Itll take your best game of the season, and, going in at least, its been awhile since weve seen that form.

76Texan
01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Lollll what are you smoking?

Steamrolled by niners? Idk, when i think steamrolled im thinkin more along the lines of what pats and packers did to you. Not a down to the wire 3 pt loss in which everything that could go wrong did.
Analyzing yards? I think how your team performs in crunch time, in must win games is more relevant.

@ pats. Yikes. Home vs colts...ugly but youll take it. Home vs vikes...uh oh. @ colts...

Texans can win, but they definitely "shouldnt". Itll take your best game of the season, and, going in at least, its been awhile since weve seen that form.
Hey, I hope the Texans are saving some of the best for last.

But we may need to save the very best for the Broncos. :kitten:

GRONKED
01-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Hey, I hope the Texans are saving some of the best for last.

But we may need to save the very best for the Broncos. :kitten:

Fwiw if you beat us I think you make it to sb. Unless this is your sb and you noshow to championship game like the jets did in 2010 lol

patfanken
01-12-2013, 03:18 PM
I got excited when I saw the title of the thread. Then I had to stop half-way reading through the battleredblog and realized this was just a gameplan against the NE defense? Really? This is NE defense we're talking about? Is this our biggest concern here? This is one of the worst D in the league for quite a few years now and if they weren't so fortunate with getting all those TOs in the season this would be a dead last rank defense. It shouldn't take an advance offensive gameplan to move and score against this defense. Just watch tapes of 31 other teams that does this every week.

Someone pm me when there's a thread on how to stop the Patriots offense. The rest of the NFL teams are still waiting on that thread also.FYI, KW, the Pats D has improved... .quite a bit.

You have to get by the concept that total yds is what determines a defense's worth. This season the Pats ranked 25th in total yds. Pretty bad, BUT if you are a Pats fan, its a 20% improvement on the D that went to the superbowl last season.

You should also know that it tied for being the 9th best team in the NFL in the most important defensive stat. Points allowed. Ironically we tied with the Texans for that spot.

The thing thing that Texan fans should be aware of is that the Pats have one of the youngest and least experienced Defenses in the league. They start 3 rookies and have 5 playing in regular rotations. This is a defense on the upswing, and historically gets even better in playoffs.

Last season's defense was almost historically bad. Yet in the playoffs, playing against the best teams, it ranked 5th in most categories of the 12th team. I only point this out to mention that talent we have now is vastly superior to the talent we had then, especially in the secondary. For example the best overall DB we had last season was S Patrick Chung. this season he's just the #3 safety

I'm not saying that the Pats D is one of the top D's in the NFL (though I hope it will be over the next 2 seasons), but its better than its reputation, and like most Pats D's of the past, it will be a lot easier to move the ball up and down the field than it will be to score points

For the record, the Pats D in 2001 ranked 26th in total D, and the one in 2003 ranked 24th. Ironically both ranked in the top 10 in scoring and turnovers. Stats very much like this year's team. Those were defenses that won 2 of the 3 Pats defenses. In only 2 of the Pats 5 recent superbowl appearances did the Pats have a defense that ranked better than 24th in total D. BTW- I'm not sure what that means, but it is an interesting stat at least.

76Texan
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Fwiw if you beat us I think you make it to sb. Unless this is your sb and you noshow to championship game like the jets did in 2010 lol

Yeah. I worry more about this matchup, but that is not to slight the Broncos nor any NFC team.

patfanken
01-12-2013, 03:28 PM

And they referred to the Jets play-off game (but his completion percentage didn't suffer in that game); the Pats lost for various reasons, and not simply because of more men in coverage (it's more involved than tha.) But unfortunately that pretty much was the case back then. By going completely against all his previous games, Ryan brilliantly created a game plan that both surprised and confused Brady.

While he had plenty of time to pass, Brady was constantly looking through his progressions and not finding people as open as they usually were. Remember Brady unlike say a Joe Flacco, is not used to throwing to receivers in tight coverage, (though he can). He's used to seeing his receivers OPEN. When he didn't he got rattled and impatient. Also the Jets played in nickel and dime coverages most of the game inviting the Pats to run the ball.....and they didn't.

Its not like the Jets blew the Pats out (a 7 point loss) and there where those dropped passes, untimely penalties, missed opportunities, etc that you can point out that would change the course of any ballgame. But in the end it was a great game plan. The Jets played their A game and the Pats didn't.

In hindsight it shouldn't have been as surprising as it did at the time. It was only year 2 of the Pats latest retool. Gronk and Hernandez were rookies and still working their way into the offense. Moss was traded mid season, and Branch wasn't an outside threat and isn't a guy who can beat man to man coverage.....and the defense wasn't very good. On the whole it was a flawed team that overachieved that year. Now 2 years and one superbowl appearance later, its STILL flawed...just less so. ;)

While I think something similar would be the best way for the Texans to attack the Pats, It wouldn't work as well as it did in 2010. First Brady has seen it (the Pats haven't scored less than 29 points against the Jets since), and they have a much better running attack now (Danny Woodhead was the Pats leading rusher in that game in 2010)

76Texan
01-12-2013, 03:41 PM
But unfortunately it pretty much was the case. By going completely against all his previous game, Ryan brilliantly created a game plan that both surprise and confused Brady. While he had plenty of time to pass, Brady was constantly looking through his progressions and not finding people open. Remember Brady unlike say a Joe Flacco, is not used to throwing to receivers in tight coverage, (though he can). He's used to seeing his receivers OPEN. When he didn't he got rattled and impatient. He missed open RB's. The Jets played in nickel and dime coverages most of the game inviting the Pats to run the ball.....and they didn't.

While I think something similar would be the best way for the Texans to attack the Pats, It wouldn't work as well as it did in 2010. First Brady has seen it (the Pats haven't scored less than 29 points against the Jets since), and they have a much better running attack now (Danny Woodhead was the Pats leading rusher in that game in 2010)

I rewatched the Jets games 3 times recently. I saw it differently; Brady was never rattled. The run game wasn't the problem either. They ran the ball better than the Jets.

76Texan
01-12-2013, 03:47 PM
FYI, KW, the Pats D has improved... .quite a bit.

You have to get by the concept that total yds is what determines a defense's worth. This season the Pats ranked 25th in total yds. Pretty bad, BUT if you are a Pats fan, its a 20% improvement on the D that went to the superbowl last season.

You should also know that it tied for being the 9th best team in the NFL in the most important defensive stat. Points allowed. Ironically we tied with the Texans for that spot.

The thing thing that Texan fans should be aware of is that the Pats have one of the youngest and least experienced Defenses in the league. They start 3 rookies and have 5 playing in regular rotations. This is a defense on the upswing, and historically gets even better in playoffs.

Last season's defense was almost historically bad. Yet in the playoffs, playing against the best teams, it ranked 5th in most categories of the 12th team. I only point this out to mention that talent we have now is vastly superior to the talent we had then, especially in the secondary. For example the best overall DB we had last season was S Patrick Chung. this season he's just the #3 safety

I'm not saying that the Pats D is one of the top D's in the NFL (though I hope it will be over the next 2 seasons), but its better than its reputation, and like most Pats D's of the past, it will be a lot easier to move the ball up and down the field than it will be to score points

For the record, the Pats D in 2001 ranked 26th in total D, and the one in 2003 ranked 24th. Ironically both ranked in the top 10 in scoring and turnovers. Stats very much like this year's team. Those were defenses that won 2 of the 3 Pats defenses. In only 2 of the Pats 5 recent superbowl appearances did the Pats have a defense that ranked better than 24th in total D. BTW- I'm not sure what that means, but it is an interesting stat at least.

The Texans actually allowed fewer offensive TDs than the Pats.
And the Texans played against more high scoring teams.

The Pats pass defense did improve with the addition of Talib and the emergence of young Dennard.
But they didn't face as many good QBs as the Texans did in the second half.

There's no telling how effective those two CBs will be though - due to their recent injury.

The Texans need to break down Dennard's Film tapes in college.
They might want to test him deep enough times.
He can be a liability there.

michaelm
01-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Burge deleted his twitter? I knew I was missing something from my feed.

I didn't notice it, but yep. I messaged him on Facebook to get the 411. No reply yet.

michaelm
01-12-2013, 04:51 PM
FYI, KW, the Pats D has improved... .quite a bit.

I get your overall point, but I think it's a bit intellectually dishonest to cite the number of rookies, then say they (Patriots D) historically get better in the playoffs.
You count three rookie starters, and five
rookies in significant rotation, and they don't have a playoff track record.