PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bears get permission to interview Texans' Dennison

Big Lou
01-06-2013, 10:29 AM
"The Chicago Bears have asked for and received permission to interview Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison for their head coach job according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Dennison worked with qurterback Jay Cutler and wide receiver Brandon Marshall in Denver."

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/31964/Report--Bears-get-permission-to-interview-Texans--Dennison/Default.aspx

WTF, can we wait till after the season please......

Big Lou
01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah, because the OC for the Texans actually does anything right?

Kubes is the HC and OC and everyone knows it. Rick wont be missed.

Did the bears miss the last four weeks of the season??? LOL

Seems odd they would interview him, I would think the West Coast/Zone Offense is to much a part of Rick to do anything different, but I could be wrong.

CloakNNNdagger
01-06-2013, 10:43 AM
"The Chicago Bears have asked for and received permission to interview Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison for their head coach job according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Dennison worked with qurterback Jay Cutler and wide receiver Brandon Marshall in Denver."

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/31964/Report--Bears-get-permission-to-interview-Texans--Dennison/Default.aspx

WTF, can we wait till after the season please......

Here are the relevant NFL rules concerning interviewing coaches.:

Teams may not interview assistants from another team for either a lateral move or a head coaching opportunity during the season. The lone exception to this rule comes when teams want to interview assistants for head coaching jobs while the current team is in the playoffs. As there is an urgency to hire new head coaches for some non-playoff teams, the NFL does allow teams to request permission to interview a postseason participant's assistants during the wild card week for teams who have the bye that week. They can also request permission to do so during the first week of Super Bowl preparations as long as there is a two-week break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. The team only has one chance to talk to the assistant coach, once permission is granted, before the coach's team is eliminated from the playoffs.

They evidently will not be able to interview him until after we are eliminated or after we have qualified for the Super Bowl.

SheTexan
01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Maybe they will take both Ricks! Neither will be missed my me, although I would keep Dennison over the other one any old day!!

Playoffs
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Dennison previously worked for the Broncos, where he was considered for the head coaching job before it went to John Fox, and that means he knows two key members of the Bears offense very well. Quarterback Jay Cutler and wide receiver Brandon Marshall both played for Dennison in Denver, which would seem to be something that would make any transition easier.

Maybe they will take both Ricks! Neither will be missed my me, although I would keep Dennison over the other one any old day!!Yeah, we wouldn't want to keep the guy who drafted J.J. Watt. :kitten:

fiasco west
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, because the OC for the Texans actually does anything right?

Kubes is the HC and OC and everyone knows it. Rick wont be missed.

People say that but our offense was MUCH better under Kid Shanahan...much.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Here are the relevant NFL rules concerning interviewing coaches.:

They evidently will not be able to interview him until after we are eliminated or after we have qualified for the Super Bowl.

Well, then, next Monday will be perfect.

gafftop
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
I hope they take him. I have seen enough of offense with Dennison. Only way to get any new blood in this staff.

House of Pain
01-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Maybe they will take both Ricks! Neither will be missed my me, although I would keep Dennison over the other one any old day!!

Your irrational hate of Rick Smith makes me LOL

Lucky
01-06-2013, 11:51 AM
People say that but our offense was MUCH better under Kid Shanahan...much.

The Texans scored more this season than they did in any year that Baby Shanny was OC. The Texans had the same red zone issues then as they do today.

Wouldn't surprise me if Baby Shanny got an interview. His season will probably end today.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
The Texans scored more this season than they did in any year that Baby Shanny was OC. The Texans had the same red zone issues then as they do today.

Every time somebody makes a really good point, you have to screw it all up with facts. :toropalm:

fiasco west
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if Baby Shanny got an interview. His season will probably end today.

I feel that has more to do with an improvement of talent though, This was the Chris Brown of RB years.

I mean stats are stats but Kid Shanny was a lot more creative and the Texans were at least still scoring a lot of points with no running game.

As for the RZ issues, that wasn't a problem for most of the year for whatever reason.

EDIT: Although numbers are numbers. I felt Kid Shanny was a lot more creative and the offense took a lot more risks with him as a OC. I disagree with the notion that Kubes is really the OC.

TexansBull
01-06-2013, 12:20 PM
I feel that has more to do with an improvement of talent though, This was the Chris Brown of RB years.

I mean stats are stats but Kid Shanny was a lot more creative and the Texans were at least still scoring a lot of points with no running game.

As for the RZ issues, that wasn't a problem for most of the year for whatever reason.

Chris Brown...sigh...now I have visions of a half back pass and missed field goals from the other Kris Brown.

What a road we have traveled. I am one thankful Texan fan when I look back from where we were.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

thunderkyss
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM

EDIT: Although numbers are numbers. I felt Kid Shanny was a lot more creative and the offense took a lot more risks with him as a OC. I disagree with the notion that Kubes is really the OC.

Everything you're saying is "true" but.... Kubiak called the offense then, just like he called them now. It wasn't until his last year here, that Kubiak allowed Shanahan to make the calls. I don't remember if that was for the whole season, or for a few games.

I do remember we "thought" getting Dennison would allow Kubiak to be more of a HC & he would do more of the play calling.

I also remember our red zone "problems" was fixed with Dennison (mostly due to Foster) & Dennison has helped Kubiak not forget the running game. Everyone seems to forget that Kubiak by his nature would rather throw the ball & is quick to give up on the run game.

Either way, I think there is more of a conversation between Dennison/Shanahan & Kubiak. than it is just Kubiak calling the plays. The OC tells Kubes what he's thinking, Kubes would tell them what he's thinking they'll talk about what we need to do next & come up with one play that they can both agree on.

I never really thought much of Shanahan as a play caller, until I saw what they're doing in Washington & that "creativity" appears to have left us only to show up there.

I also thought Shanahan called the Rosencopter, but I could be wrong.

Dutchrudder
01-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I won't miss Dennison if he goes. I would love to see some new coaches on offense. I think we could use some more diversity of philosophy.

bckey
01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I won't miss Dennison if he goes. I would love to see some new coaches on offense. I think we could use some more diversity of philosophy.

I won't either.

Lucky
01-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Kubiak would probably just bring in Knapp who was fired by the Raiders. Don't expect anything but a Friend of Kubiak.

thunderkyss
01-06-2013, 01:20 PM
We need a "bite the hand that feeds you" smiley.

Playoffs
01-06-2013, 01:27 PM
The Texans scored more this season than they did in any year that Baby Shanny was OC. The Texans had the same red zone issues then as they do today.I much prefer Dennison's results to little Shanny's. I like what they've done with RGIII -- but he gives them every option in the book.

I'd infer, watching Shanny here & in Washington, that daddy Mike's influence make his son look better. Not HC material yet, imo.

Thorn
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't see where Dennison leaving (if he does) will have any negative effect. We all see who the real OC is anyway. A new OC could have some very positive effects.

tedr
01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Kubiak would probably just bring in Knapp who was fired by the Raiders. Don't expect anything but a Friend of Kubiak.

You might be right, but I would think almost every head coach wants coaches on his staff he's familiar with.

dtran04
01-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Let's not forget that it was Dennison who brought more gap schemes to the running game that worked really well. Of course since the team has struggled the past month, somebody has to be shown the door....

noxiousdog
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I'd be really interested in seeing if Norv Turner would like to be OC.

thunderkyss
01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I'd be really interested in seeing if Norv Turner would like to be OC.

I'd really like to get TJ Yates' coach from UNC

noxiousdog
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Whomever it is, Kubiak needs to let them call plays and become more of a strategist than a tactician.

thunderkyss
01-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Whomever it is, Kubiak needs to let them call plays and become more of a strategist than a tactician.

I really think that's what goes on now. Gary's said that he has the final say, the right to over-rule, but it's not like he calls every play. He's involved & it has his stamp on it. But it's no different than what every other HC does.

noxiousdog
01-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I really think that's what goes on now. Gary's said that he has the final say, the right to over-rule, but it's not like he calls every play. He's involved & it has his stamp on it. But it's no different than what every other HC does.

I haven't heard one way or the other, but I question his need for the Denny's Menu if that's the case.

CloakNNNdagger
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
I never really thought much of Shanahan as a play caller, until I saw what they're doing in Washington & that "creativity" appears to have left us only to show up there.

That's a lot easier when your QB doesn't have one foot in concrete.

CloakNNNdagger
01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I haven't heard one way or the other, but I question his need for the Denny's Menu if that's the case.

I know for sure that during the 2010 season and at least part of last season, Dennison used to stay up in the booth. Wonder if that's where he has spent some of the time this season. Wonder if he is the "mysterious" red flag coach????

BTW, if no one has mentioned it, I believe that this past year was Dennison's last contract year. (It would also have been Knapp's also had he stayed)

Has everyone forgotten his "loyalty" statement that made you wonder if this is where he really wanted to be to begin with.

Ive known the Broncos forever. If it is (an advantage), thats great, Ill use that to the best of my abilities. Im orange and blue all the way through. I just work in Houston now.Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison in an interview with the Denver Post on Tuesday.link (http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/01/texans-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison-opens-his-mouth-and-says-something-dumb/)

EllisUnit
01-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Hmmm i think Rick Smith has done a damn good job, he made some tough calls last off season, but that allowed us to lock up the best OT, RB in the NFL. He also did do the deals for manning and Jojo. Was a smart move instead of breaking the bank for Aso.

Our drafts since he arrived has also been pretty damn solid. This team has been basically built through the 06 to now draft.

EllisUnit
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
link (http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/01/texans-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison-opens-his-mouth-and-says-something-dumb/)

Well screw him if thats how he feels. I prefer coaches that want to be here, some think kubiak isnt the greatest coach and i agree. But atleast this is where the guy wants to be, same with Wade.

Lucky
01-06-2013, 03:27 PM

John Shoop, who is currently out of coaching. Here is his blog where he makes some interesting comments on ex-Tar Heels.

http://chapelboro.com/pages/14122774.php?contentType=31&contentId=9713

GP
01-06-2013, 03:52 PM
The size of that menu, coupled with how intensely Gary studies it throughout the game, gives me the impression that he's already got an idea of what play SHOULD be called...then Dennison radio's down to Kubiak the play to be called.

1.) Gary has said he (Gary) has the chance to change the call if he wants to...

2.) How many times does Gary change the call?

So it won't matter WHO is our o-coordinator, that guy is screwed because the head coach fancies himself the guy who can change the call if he wants to.

What o-coord wants THAT? What other head coach in the NFL carries that menu like that and openly says "Yeah, I can change the call if I want to."? I know several coaches carry play sheets around, but how many of them are as engaged in the process as Gary is?

The HC of the Falcons carries around a little pad of paper and he's scribbling down notes about what his team needs to work on for the next week. He's watching the game, taking notes, using that to create a list of problems to be worked on the next week. Like a head coach SHOULD be doing.

Dennison probably hopes he gets the Bears' job. But I don't think he will. Then it comes down to whether the front office wants him back, since he's in his last year of a contract here.

Pretty interesting series of events to be looking at.

thunderkyss
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
What o-coord wants THAT? What other head coach in the NFL carries that menu like that and openly says "Yeah, I can change the call if I want to."? I know several coaches carry play sheets around, but how many of them are as engaged in the process as Gary is?

I think the good offensive minded ones are.

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Indianapolis+Colts+v+Green+Bay+Packers+ojkwU4a1SKj l.jpg http://media.philly.com/images/110412-sean-payton-400.jpg
http://www.trbimg.com/img-5076f84a/turbine/lat-harbaugh-paranoid-20121011-001/600

TexanSam
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
The HC of the Falcons carries around a little pad of paper and he's scribbling down notes about what his team needs to work on for the next week. He's watching the game, taking notes, using that to create a list of problems to be worked on the next week. Like a head coach SHOULD be doing.

That's really worked out well for them the last two seasons in the playoffs.

infantrycak
01-06-2013, 05:41 PM

First off he is a defensive coach. But sure he does:

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/05/86/33/slideshow_1338658_falcons-boys18vb.jpg

http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2011/08/12/Dolphins_Falcons_Football_11_t607.jpg

steelbtexan
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I've got no link for this, but I think Gary calls the plays in the RZ. This should explain why the Texans settle for so many FG's. Of course with Schaubs foot problem Garys hands are kind of tied. The RZ is where Schaubs lack of mobility is most noticeable.

CloakNNNdagger
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Kubiak touts Dennison for head-coaching job (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/kubiak-touts-dennison-for-head-coaching-job/)
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2013, 8:59 PM EST

So far, Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison has landed on the interview list of only one NFL team the Bears. His current boss thinks the time has come for someone to give Dennison a chance to run a team of his own.

I think hes been ready for awhile, Kubiak told reporters on Monday. I think Rick is a very smart guy. Hes selective. Ive been called on him for about three years in a row now, but I think Rick knows what he wants to do with his life and if hes going to take an opportunity to be a head coach, hes going to be selective in what he does. Hes got a great background in the National Football League. Hes a 10-year defensive player in the National Football League. Hes been a special teams coach in the National Football League. Hes been an offensive line coach. Hes been an offensive coordinator. Theres nothing this guy hasnt done. He would do an excellent job if he gets the opportunity.

Its a selfless move by Kubiak, who would be losing a key member of his staff.

Hes my teacher, Kubiak said of Dennison. Hes a guy that comes down here every day and puts it together with the players, teaches the plan, teaches his scheme, teaches what we do and coordinates everything with the offensive coaches and how we go about our business getting ready to play every week and then right there with me on game day calling plays and helping me out. Hes the leader of what we do offensively.

GP
01-07-2013, 10:57 PM
That's really worked out well for them the last two seasons in the playoffs.

They look a lot better this year than any time prior.

A lot more consistent, in a positive manner. More than our team is right now.

Playoffs
01-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Kubiak touts Dennison for head-coaching job (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/kubiak-touts-dennison-for-head-coaching-job/)
Classy move by Kubes.

ChampionTexan
01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Well, just from a sheer numbers standpoint, his chances of being the next Bears coach aren't good - there's now 13 candidates for the job.

OK, so now it looks like Phil Emery is just showing off.

Emery has expanded the list of known candidates to coach the Bears to a lucky (or, depending on the final decision, unlucky) 13.
LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/bears-coaching-search-adds-13th-candidate/)

Double Barrel
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Makes sense. Kubiak, like all head coaches, not only wants championships (most important), but they also want to leave a legacy. And beyond winning championships, the best way to leave a legacy in the NFL is a successful coaching tree. If Dennison has success with the Bears as HC, Kubiak gets a little of that limelight.

Side note: I have no problem with most of our coaching staff being looked at, as long as it's not WADE!!! I have not heard any rumors...maybe his age is a concern, or maybe his resume (or both)...but the last thing I want to see is a Friend of Kubiak as our DC again. Give Wade another draft, another off-season, and let's see what his defense looks like with the return of a healthy Cushing.

silentassassin
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Makes sense. Kubiak, like all head coaches, not only wants championships (most important), but they also want to leave a legacy. And beyond winning championships, the best way to leave a legacy in the NFL is a successful coaching tree. If Dennison has success with the Bears as HC, Kubiak gets a little of that limelight.

Side note: I have no problem with most of our coaching staff being looked at, as long as it's not WADE!!! I have not heard any rumors...maybe his age is a concern, or maybe his resume (or both)...but the last thing I want to see is a Friend of Kubiak as our DC again. Give Wade another draft, another off-season, and let's see what his defense looks like with the return of a healthy Cushing.

LOL! Right there with you!

Honestly, I don't think we'll have that problem again. They've learned their lesson.

badboy
01-08-2013, 10:39 AM
We have an OC? I thought we had a training program for other teams.

thunderkyss
01-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Wade & Vance Joseph!!

infantrycak
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
We have an OC? I thought we had a training program for other teams.

Yup, sure seems other teams respect our system even if our own fans don't.

Wade & Vance Joseph!!

It's inevitable Joseph will get promoted somewhere unless he wants to learn at Wade's knee and inherit the position.

Playoffs
01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, just from a sheer numbers standpoint, his chances of being the next Bears coach aren't good - there's now 13 candidates for the job.
It's the old Al Davis interview process. He used it to pick the brains of guys he had no intention of hiring.

SheTexan
01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Dennison previously worked for the Broncos, where he was considered for the head coaching job before it went to John Fox, and that means he knows two key members of the Bears offense very well. Quarterback Jay Cutler and wide receiver Brandon Marshall both played for Dennison in Denver, which would seem to be something that would make any transition easier.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to keep the guy who drafted J.J. Watt. :kitten:

FYI: That was Wade Phillips doing, not Rick Smith! I don't think RS had a clue WHO JJ Watt was! Wade wanted him, and Wade got him!! PERIOD!!

thunderkyss
01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
FYI: That was Wade Phillips doing, not Rick Smith! I don't think RS had a clue WHO JJ Watt was! Wade wanted him, and Wade got him!! PERIOD!!

Rick Smith & his scouting team put together a list of 40 or 50 players (something like that, I don't know the actual number). They handed this list to Wade & asked him what he thought about these players.

Wade whittled this list down to 15 names. Rick & his team were shocked as the other DCs never cut it down that small.

Rick Smith & his team put together their draft board with that list as well as the list Kubiak & Dennison "refined"

Rick Smith and a few of his scouts, Gary Kubiak, Dennison & another offensive coach or two, Wade Phillips & another coach or two went over the draft board & developed a plan.

On draft day many of those people were present in the war room. Most likely Rick, his lead scout, Gary, Dennison, & Wade were in attendance. As players were removed from the board, they refined the list. As their pick approached, they continued to refine their board & the different scenarios that led up to their pick.

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Rick Smith & his scouting team put together a list of 40 or 50 players (something like that, I don't know the actual number). They handed this list to Wade & asked him what he thought about these players.

Wade whittled this list down to 15 names. Rick & his team were shocked as the other DCs never cut it down that small.

Rick Smith & his team put together their draft board with that list as well as the list Kubiak & Dennison "refined"

Rick Smith and a few of his scouts, Gary Kubiak, Dennison & another offensive coach or two, Wade Phillips & another coach or two went over the draft board & developed a plan.

On draft day many of those people were present in the war room. Most likely Rick, his lead scout, Gary, Dennison, & Wade were in attendance. As players were removed from the board, they refined the list. As their pick approached, they continued to refine their board & the different scenarios that led up to their pick.

By your description, I essentially picture that that in the end, Rick was sitting there in the War Room doing his thing with one big "modified" Denny's Menu.:)