PDA

View Full Version : Call me a conspiracist, but refs will NOT be in favor of us next week. NFL wants

AndyWin
01-05-2013, 11:58 PM
NFL wants Brady vs. Manning

We're gonna have a hard time getting any calls if this game is close in crunchtime. On the flipside, I can see a lot of ticky tack defensive holding and PI calls on us should this be close in the 4th.

I hope I'm wrong, but let's face it... Brady vs. Manning would make for MUCH better ratings and storylines than us.

Texecutioner
01-05-2013, 11:59 PM
I agree unfortunately.

GlenRice
01-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Hopefully the Ravens/ colts play the broncos first and beat them.

aussie_texan
01-06-2013, 12:29 AM
the only reason the refs give 50/50 decisions to the pats is because they're playing at home.
Home teams always get the advantage of the refs no matter what sport, from NFL to AFL to Hockey to Basketball and Soccer.

TexansBull
01-06-2013, 12:34 AM
the only reason the refs give 50/50 decisions to the pats is because they're playing at home.
Home teams always get the advantage of the refs no matter what sport, from NFL to AFL to Hockey to Basketball and Soccer.

I don't know. Sometimes it seems we don't get the home cooking.

klockWork
01-06-2013, 12:52 AM
I don't believe the refs have any agenda to call the game in favor of NE. Please stop investing in a nonsense beliefs like that. The only reason Texans seems like they getting the short end of the sticks sometimes is their agrressive and undisciplined style of plays on defense lately. Their secondary have bad habits for not playing the ball when it's in the air and they grab and pull on nearly every snap. When a team plays Defense like that official will always favor the Offense.

qqert
01-06-2013, 01:08 AM
this is what's called "maximizing profits."

6. TV Ratings are more important than fans in the stadium. NFL officials, according to FBI files are quoted as saying " the NFL will continue to profit, even with empty stadiums. NFL games can even be filmed in studios to make a profit". TV is the lifeblood of any sport. Get on TV and you will survive somehow. If you are not on TV you are dead. TV Networks pay huge sums of money to the NFL for the rights to broadcast these games. Estimates of TV revenue exceed $6 Billion. Television stations make this money back plus a profit by advertising dollars.

This is why ratings are so important. Ratings = $$ because advertisers pay big money to advertise on the program. Marketing 101 tells us that television networks pay for the rights to broadcast NFL games, the NFL sells these games to Big TV as we will call them. The NFL gets paid up front. Now Big TV is in a deep whole. Big TV goes out to advertisers and sells ad spots during the game and any other NFL themed programming. Big TV promises the advertiser that X number of people will tune into the game each week and that those people will in turn by their product. Some Big TV executives even boldly predict as to the conversion rate of the people watching the games. If, for whatever reason, the resulting TV rating isn't what Big TV promised to the advertiser, Big TV has to pay the advertiser a refund.

Knowing this, do you really think Big TV wants to pay refunds? And this is a win-win situation for the league. The league wants more exciting games, Big TV wants their viewers, everyone gets paid. In a 2010 article, ProFootballTalk.com tells of a situation in which ESPN executives were giving play directions to then Titans coach Jeff Fisher and directed on how to conduct the game. Now who is really in control? You can read that article here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/chris-johnsons-fantasy-owners-should-thank-espn-jack-del-rio/

source (http://spaces.covers.com/blog/MaximumWins/NFL/03042012-Reasons-Why-The-NFL-Is-Fixed-For-Profit.html) _

as far as i'm concerned, texans are toast. :cutthroat::cutthroat::cutthroat:
but you know i still get behind them every week, hoping we throw a wrench on GOODELS fixing plans.

EllisUnit
01-06-2013, 01:12 AM

We're gonna have a hard time getting any calls if this game is close in crunchtime. On the flipside, I can see a lot of ticky tack defensive holding and PI calls on us should this be close in the 4th.

I hope I'm wrong, but let's face it... Brady vs. Manning would make for MUCH better ratings and storylines than us.

Yeah and everyone thought it was bad the first time we played them (which it was) but oh lord i cant imagine. They might flag Watt just for looking at brady wrong. Plus i'm sure they will come up with all kinds of new penalties we have never heard of like refs always seem to do for Brady !

MEGA SWATT
01-06-2013, 01:22 AM
If you bring it, your A game - the refs can't take it from you.

beerlover
01-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Yeah and everyone thought it was bad the first time we played them (which it was) but oh lord i cant imagine. They might flag Watt just for looking at brady wrong. Plus i'm sure they will come up with all kinds of new penalties we have never heard of like refs always seem to do for Brady !

Then we bust them in the mouth & smack them around the field at least make them our ******* for a couple miserable, cold hours.

The last game in Foxborough was a set-up, Kubiak played conservative, this time around it will be another matter all together :hothboy:

coltfan123
01-06-2013, 01:39 AM
Im sure the refs take great pride in destroying texan moral :kitten:

klockWork
01-06-2013, 02:08 AM
As a Texans fan I'm embarrassed to be part of a forum where so many members are already fishing for excuses on a game that hasn't play yet. I hope the Texans players don't share y'all mindset or we will surely lose this game.

AndyWin
01-06-2013, 02:41 AM
oh boo hoo, it's an internet forum... it's okay to be have hypothetical posts

qqert
01-06-2013, 02:49 AM
i dunno if i was really embarrassed to ne part of a forum id just likely stop signing on and posting?:toropalm:

coltfan123
01-06-2013, 03:26 AM
kubiak can bribe the refs to throw the game, what ref dont like boobies... :ant:

http://i46.tinypic.com/344yvsp.jpg

HJam72
01-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Frankly, I agree with the OP and believe it is an "entertainment" industry. However, "favorites" are also favored in the first place, because they are the better team/players. The refs will make sure we don't just happen to have a good day and beat a Pats team having a bad day. They will make sure of it, unless we just flat out kick butt, and basically beat them too. I don't see it happening.

Cerberus
01-06-2013, 08:44 AM

Unfortunately you are correct. The best recent example I can point to that everyone can acknowledge is the now infamous Tuck-Rule game. Where the NFL actually tried to convince football fans that Brady having two hands on the ball tucked to his chest, was in fact a throwing motion. The NFL went into full blown spin-control starting the day after. So yeah, the NFL will ultimately massage a game here and there to get the match-ups they think is best for their fans.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/464/368/tom-brady-tuck-rule_display_image.jpg?1288019092

If you think this was actually a good call by the refs, then you don't know football. If you ate up the chit the NFL shoveled with their good-call-bad-rule spin, you are the perfect mindless customer in their eyes.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately you are correct. The best recent example I can point to that everyone can acknowledge is the now infamous Tuck-Rule game. Where the NFL actually tried to convince football fans that Brady having two hands on the ball tucked to his chest, was in fact a throwing motion. The NFL went into full blown spin-control starting the day after. So yeah, the NFL will ultimately massage a game here and there to get the match-ups they think is best for their fans.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/464/368/tom-brady-tuck-rule_display_image.jpg?1288019092

If you think this was actually a good call by the refs, then you don't know football. If you ate up the chit the NFL shoveled with their good-call-bad-rule spin, you are the perfect mindless customer in their eyes.

I just watched that for the first time, and I was already convinced.

Think about the blown call that kept the old Luv Ya Blue Oilers out of the SB. Think about the disaster in Buffalo--you don't think the refs might've had something to do with that? Now, think about our 3rd string RB in Detroit this year. Detroit don't win on Thanksgiving day--that's a tradition. A lot of it is left up to the talent on the field, but those refs are having their influence, and it's dictated to them by the commissioner.

Pats
01-06-2013, 08:57 AM
There was a list on yesterdays game showing the Texnas have been penalized more over these late season losses than when they were on the win streak.

I suppose its the Patriots fault that Houston had those penalties vs Indy. Vs Cinci too.

Pats
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Nice try, but the ball was coming forward way more than the call Kubiak challenged and lost yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aM-JxUVYDM

HJam72
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
There was a list on yesterdays game showing the Texnas have been penalized more over these late season losses than when they were on the win streak.

I suppose its the Patriots fault that Houston had those penalties vs Indy. Vs Cinci too.

I don't think anybody's going that far, and they were playing undisciplined. I will say, though, that a cancer-rideen HC coming back for the last game of the season has to have it's influence, and so does our winless record in Indy, which we shouldn't have ever let get so bad in the first place, but whatever. The fact is, regarding the Pats and us right now, that most NFL fans want to see Tom Brady in the AFC Championship, not Matt freaking Schaub. It's not going to matter if Brady is lighting us up anyway and Schaub doesn't at least bring his A game.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Nice try, but the ball was coming forward way more than the call Kubiak challenged and lost yesterday.

They were both fumbles. Houston is not a popular city. Oil refineries; hot, humid weather. Gee, I wonder how they treat Cleveland?

I do know the "Patriots" have had one heck of a decade after the little 911 incident.

Pats
01-06-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't think anybody's going that far, and they were playing undisciplined. I will say, though, that a cancer-rideen HC coming back for the last game of the season has to have it's influence, and so does our winless record in Indy, which we shouldn't have ever let get so bad in the first place, but whatever. The fact is, regarding the Pats and us right now, that most NFL fans want to see Tom Brady in the AFC Championship, not Matt freaking Schaub. It's not going to matter if Brady is lighting us up anyway and Schaub doesn't at least bring his A game.

Might the Patriots be the better team for once?

Other teams have come to Foxboro and put the beat down on NE. The Ravens in 09 and Jets 10. Last year the Ravens should have won, but Lee Evans didnt have both feet down and dropped the ball.

Cerberus
01-06-2013, 09:11 AM

Even Brady knew he fumbled the ball. Just admit it, the NFL handed the Pats that game. The call on the field was fumble, and I certainly didn't see any irrefutable evidence to contrary. In fact, the video and photos show Brady had tucked the ball back to his chest. The NFL's spin, was that the QB had to tuck it to his hip, but as everyone has pointed out, show me one clip where any QB pump fakes and tucks to his hip before throwing.

In Marcus Allen's own words, the Raiders got jobbed.

texanhead08
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
You have to make your own breaks, and not expect a gift from the zebras.

I also want to say Kubiak keep that damn red flag in your pocket you have no ****ing clue when to use it.

Pats
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
They were both fumbles. Houston is not a popular city. Oil refineries; hot, humid weather. Gee, I wonder how they treat Cleveland?

I do know the "Patriots" have had one heck of a decade after the little 911 incident.

It cant be a fumble with the ball coming forward.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Might the Patriots be the better team for once?

Other teams have come to Foxboro and put the beat down on NE. The Ravens in 09 and Jets 10. Last year the Ravens should have won, but Lee Evans didnt have both feet down and dropped the ball.

Oh, the Patriots might be the best in the NFL, and they have been before (mostly because of Brady). I'm not saying they can't be; I'm saying that often the commish and his refs prefer it that way, even on "any given Sunday," when some likely somewhat lesser team would otherwise happen to have a better day.

It ain't just the Patriots. I'm saying there is a very slowly changing list of 32 teams, top to bottom. Some are favored and some are hated, for whatever reasons. Your name, your QB, a story about a cancer stricken coach, whatever. Right now, I figure Peyton Manning is the NFL's 21st century version of John Elway and will be helped to bring Denver back to the promised land (to bad McNair didn't think of that for Houston). I won't mind at all when you are complaining about the refs home-cooking favoring Manning--we been down that road a few times--but, I won't deny that he's a darn good QB too.

Pats
01-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Even Brady knew he fumbled the ball. Just admit it, the NFL handed the Pats that game. The call on the field was fumble, and I certainly didn't see any irrefutable evidence to contrary. In fact, the video and photos show Brady had tucked the ball back to his chest. The NFL's spin, was that the QB had to tuck it to his hip, but as everyone has pointed out, show me one clip where any QB pump fakes and tucks to his hip before throwing.

The ball was in a forward direction towards the line of scrimmage when it came out. Thats a fumble. Watch the video again.

Goodwrench3
01-06-2013, 09:17 AM
This is my fear. The refs will do anything to hinder us.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
It cant be a fumble with the ball coming forward.

Dalton had already lost the ball with all but his finger-tips when decided to pretend he was throwing it. Regarding the tuck-rule play, it's either a fumble, or Brady should be called for intentional grounding for throwing the ball down at his own left hand... :shades:

Cerberus
01-06-2013, 09:56 AM
The ball was in a forward direction towards the line of scrimmage when it came out. Thats a fumble. Watch the video again.

You go ahead and keep telling yourself it was a fumble, and maybe some day you'll actually believe it too.

NitroGSXR
01-06-2013, 09:58 AM

There are rumors that the NFL is going to re-consider the tuck rule after the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/nfl-will-reconsider-the-tuck-rule-this-offseason/

bckey
01-06-2013, 10:00 AM
I brought this up in another thread last week. I agree that the Brady tuck rule game was one of the abolute worst.

The NFL also wants an AFC chamionship with the Patriots vs. Broncos. Big money and ratings for them. You can bet the calls will be in both teams favor to get them that matchup. Not saying a team can't beat em just that it will be extremely difficult. Whoever goes to New England and whoever goes to Denver will be playing the refs also.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2094182#post2094182

HJam72
01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
There are rumors that the NFL is going to re-consider the tuck rule after the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/nfl-will-reconsider-the-tuck-rule-this-offseason/

They'll re-re-consider it if a popular enough QB has that little problem again...

Modest
01-06-2013, 10:11 AM

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/17/1350479477094/Crying-baby-010.jpg

1. Fault the rule, not the call. According to the rule, it was called correctly.
2. The same rule was called AGAINST the Patriots that season against the division rival Jets and in turn cost us a win.
3. I am oh so tired of hearing that when that call was made, that the Raiders lost the game by default. Nothing else happened after that call. All that happened was that call.

The fact we were playing in a blizzard is ignored. The fact that the drive after the tuck rule call was only to tie the game so we could go into OT is ignored. The fact that in OT, Brady went a perfect 8 for 8 and Vinetari kicked a game winning FG -IN A BLIZZARD- is ignored.

4. As far as I'm concerned, that call still doesn't make up for how the Patriots were robbed against the Raiders in the 1976 Divisional playoffs. Thats right. These two teams have been involved in another top 10 most controversial calls of all time- and this time the call went the Raiders way- and they in turn went on to win the Superbowl. Watch and learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jln47i31ps

I did have the original version of this when it made the top 10 series the NFL Network runs occasionally but apparently the NFL copy wright nazis have deleted it.

After that debacle that happened on Thanksgiving with Forsett against the Lions, I'm surprised you're so vocal about a call that happened over a decade ago.

Oh and back on topic- heres to a great injury free game Texans.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
1976. Hmmm. Did we have "Patriot" missiles back then? or did we have....Ken Stabler?

Grams
01-06-2013, 10:24 AM
This is my fear. The refs will do anything to hinder us.

They do this every week.

Modest
01-06-2013, 10:25 AM
1976. Hmmm. Did we have "Patriot" missiles back then? or did we have....Ken Stabler?

Good question.

ArlingtonTexan
01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
this is what's called "maximizing profits."

source (http://spaces.covers.com/blog/MaximumWins/NFL/03042012-Reasons-Why-The-NFL-Is-Fixed-For-Profit.html) _

as far as i'm concerned, texans are toast. :cutthroat::cutthroat::cutthroat:
but you know i still get behind them every week, hoping we throw a wrench on GOODELS fixing plans.

The NFL is the sport where television ratings are least influenced by having the right cities and right match ups. Not saying that it does not matter at all, but the NFL gets it ratings.

Premier
01-06-2013, 10:43 AM
we could have given them brady vs manning next week had we taken care of business..

i hate excuses, youre either good enough to win or youre not..

Pats
01-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Dalton had already lost the ball with all but his finger-tips when decided to pretend he was throwing it. Regarding the tuck-rule play, it's either a fumble, or Brady should be called for intentional grounding for throwing the ball down at his own left hand... :shades:

How do you call intentional grounding when the QBs arm is hit by the defense?

Thats a new one.

Pats
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
They do this every week.

The NFL hates Houston and Cleveland.

gtexan02
01-06-2013, 10:53 AM
The refs are already out to screw us. Did you see the Indy fumble reversed?

Pats
01-06-2013, 10:53 AM
You go ahead and keep telling yourself it was a fumble, and maybe some day you'll actually believe it too.

I dont need to.

I know the rules and that pass was incomplete.

The Medic01
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
I dont need to.

I know the rules and that pass was incomplete.

I wouldn't expect a Pats fan to admit it. However everyone but pats fans realize that it was the wrong call. And the refs have been on the Pats side for years now. I a Pats player complains enough he will get the call 90%of the time.

Modest
01-06-2013, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't expect a Pats fan to admit it. However everyone but pats fans realize that it was the wrong call. And the refs have been on the Pats side for years now. I a Pats player complains enough he will get the call 90%of the time.

Yawn. I'm glad all Texans fans aren't like this.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 11:36 AM
How do you call intentional grounding when the QBs arm is hit by the defense?

Thats a new one.

You can't throw a ball down after your arm is hit? All these guys have to do is throw the ball anywhere from a half centimeter in front of them to infinity forward if they have lost complete control of it and it's called an incomplete pass. If passes were allowed past the LOS, nobody would ever fumble again; you'd just have forward passes to phantom, "oh, there was s'posed to be a guy there" receivers.

Besides that, in answer to your question, I don't. I call it a fumble, unless the arm was moving forward BEFORE it was hit AND the QB was throwing to a receiver and not at his own left hand.

HTown2ATX
01-06-2013, 11:44 AM
This should be the height of comedy ref wise next week. But hey, hopefully the Texans put up a big lead and it won't matter and we get to the finish line.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 11:47 AM
This should be the height of comedy ref wise next week. But hey, hopefully the Texans put up a big lead and it won't matter and we get to the finish line.

Far more likely is the Pats put of a big lead fast and the refs don't need to help them.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Ya know, they do put the refs in stripes, kinda like caught criminals, LOL.

Goodwrench3
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
The ''media'' teams and the ''media'' players (Manning,Brady,etc) always get what they want.

Cerberus
01-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Pats fans don't like to acknowledge the asterisk on their helmets, they like to pretend it is a star.

Anyone that has been watching football for any length of time knows Brady fumbled the ball on that snowy New England night. He "tucked" the ball when he put his second hand on it and brought it to his chest. He knew he fumbled, and even admitted as much after the game. He then made a joke out of the call later. It has since become known as one of the worst if not the worst call in NFL history. End of story.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Well, it's not just the Pats. In fact, I wouldn't doubt the Giants getting some special cooking against the Pats in a couple of SBs, but I didn't follow close enough to know.

coltfan123
01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
The NFL is the sport where television ratings are least influenced by having the right cities and right match ups. Not saying that it does not matter at all, but the NFL gets it ratings.

refs can only do so much, if texans play clean football nothing refs can do..

qqert
01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Pats fans don't like to acknowledge the asterisk on their helmets, they like to pretend it is a star.

Anyone that has been watching football for any length of time knows Brady fumbled the ball on that snowy New England night. He "tucked" the ball when he put his second hand on it and brought it to his chest. He knew he fumbled, and even admitted as much after the game. He then made a joke out of the call later. It has since become known as one of the worst if not the worst call in NFL history. End of story.

can someone please reset my +rep limit coz its suspended for 24hrs n i need to +rep this guy 1,000x !!!!

HJam72
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Who bought his wife and why can't they be my buddy? :foottap:

Modest
01-06-2013, 12:42 PM

Let me quote my post since you seem to want to ignore it.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/17/1350479477094/Crying-baby-010.jpg

1. Fault the rule, not the call. According to the rule, it was called correctly.
2. The same rule was called AGAINST the Patriots that season against the division rival Jets and in turn cost us a win.
3. I am oh so tired of hearing that when that call was made, that the Raiders lost the game by default. Nothing else happened after that call. All that happened was that call.

The fact we were playing in a blizzard is ignored. The fact that the drive after the tuck rule call was only to tie the game so we could go into OT is ignored. The fact that in OT, Brady went a perfect 8 for 8 and Vinetari kicked a game winning FG -IN A BLIZZARD- is ignored.

4. As far as I'm concerned, that call still doesn't make up for how the Patriots were robbed against the Raiders in the 1976 Divisional playoffs. Thats right. These two teams have been involved in another top 10 most controversial calls of all time- and this time the call went the Raiders way- and they in turn went on to win the Superbowl. Watch and learn:

I did have the original version of this when it made the top 10 series the NFL Network runs occasionally but apparently the NFL copy wright nazis have deleted it.

After that debacle that happened on Thanksgiving with Forsett against the Lions, I'm surprised you're so vocal about a call that happened over a decade ago.

HJam72
01-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Convincing us the Pats used to get screwed a long time ago, does not give me any more faith in the innocence of the NFL. Nobody's saying the Pats have always been "favored." Some day the Texans might be "favored" because of who knows what story or QB. I just don't like the refs favoring anybody in the first place. If they're going to run it like the WWF, they need to admit it so all us suckers can waist our time on something else.

Cerberus
01-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Convincing us the Pats used to get screwed a long time ago, does not give me any more faith in the innocence of the NFL. Nobody's saying the Pats have always been "favored." Some day the Texans might be "favored" because of who knows what story or QB. I just don't like the refs favoring anybody in the first place. If they're going to run it like the WWF, they need to admit it so all us suckers can waist our time on something else.

I just hate seeing biased refs officiate games they have no business officiating. For instance, when Mike Carey officiates a SD Charger game, or Larry Nemers a KC Chiefs game, etc. The League just shouldn't have refs officiating hometown games; I don't care how much they save on travel costs.

I still say the replacement refs were no worse than the part-time refs the NFL currently employs. I also believe the refs should be available to the media to answer for blown calls and poorly officiated games. Don't like the fact the NFL controls that aspect, in the sense they fine players, coaches and team personnel, for publicly criticizing poor officiating, and they also control media access to the games for both those that support and oppose them. They make it to where their pawns/refs are beyond reproach.

2012Champs
01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
As a Texans fan I'm embarrassed to be part of a forum where so many members are already fishing for excuses on a game that hasn't play yet. I hope the Texans players don't share y'all mindset or we will surely lose this game.

Yup

Modest
01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I just hate seeing biased refs officiate games they have no business officiating. For instance, when Mike Carey officiates a SD Charger game, or Larry Nemers a KC Chiefs game, etc. The League just shouldn't have refs officiating hometown games; I don't care how much they save on travel costs.

I still say the replacement refs were no worse than the part-time refs the NFL currently employs. I also believe the refs should be available to the media to answer for blown calls and poorly officiated games. Don't like the fact the NFL controls that aspect, in the sense they fine players, coaches and team personnel, for publicly criticizing poor officiating, and they also control media access to the games for both those that support and oppose them. They make it to where their pawns/refs are beyond reproach.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/12/03/timestopics/raycharles.jpg

Dutchrudder
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Wow, this thread is crazy and it makes our fanbase look retarded. How about we play the game before claiming the refs and NFL are conspiring against Houston?

axman40
01-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Wow, this thread is crazy and it makes our fanbase look retarded. How about we play the game before claiming the refs and NFL are conspiring against Houston?
Some folks are proactive?
idonno:

klockWork
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
The NFL, the biggest cash cows sports corporation in the world will make money REGARDLESS of who plays in the Playoffs or Superbowls. Just about the only thing that can shakeup this empire is the engagement of such conspiracy that you folks here is alleging. You really think the NFL would be that stupid to take risk that could cut off their own legs? We talking about about billions of dollars at stakes, not to mention over 75 years of existence in their name. You think the NFL would take such a risk just to make a NE vs Denver matchup? Really?

Please. Someone close this thread before honest good-hearted folks reads some of these ridiculous posts and believes it to the point where it'll ruin their football-watching experience. How can ANYBODY enjoy a game of this magnitude with that kind of shallow mentality.

fiasco west
01-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Wasn't the Texans vs Patriots one of the most watched games this year?

So one could say that the NFL wants this matchup too.

Giant Tiger
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM

Glad you brought up the '76 game. I watched that game; it was very poorly officiated, a lot of calls went against the Patriots. But that's the point, you weren't a favored team yet; you were on the road playing the team most people wanted to see. I doubt the NFL or the officials care who wins next week; but if there is a controversial call, it won't go in Houston's favor... more likely, if a controversy benefits New England; the officials won't get in the way.

TEXANRED
01-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Why would the NFL want Brady beating down Manning yet again. Brady Owns Manning's ass like Manning's little brother owns Brady's ass.

HJam72
01-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Why would the NFL want Brady beating down Manning yet again. Brady Owns Manning's ass like Manning's little brother owns Brady's ass.

I don't think they want Brady to beat Manning again; I think they want him to be the one to lose to Manning this time. Yeah, I know Brady's the better QB, but refs can twist that all up real easy. It's not like Manning needs much help even to beat Brady. A few calls'll do it.

BullBlitz
01-07-2013, 09:50 AM

Why? Because they'd rather have two Hall of Fame QBs in the AFC Conference Game as opposed to one HOF QB vs a mediocre one from one of the other two teams.

:kitten:

handswarmer
01-07-2013, 10:20 AM
I have never seen an opposing teams fanbase more paranoid about the referees and claiming unfair # of calls againt their team as this one.

Eageles, Chiefs, Steelers, Colts, Pats, Jet= i've posted on all their boards and never seen as much crying about officials as here.

This is shameful....

ChampionTexan
01-07-2013, 10:54 AM

What he said.

Thorn
01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Paranoia [ˌpærəˈnɔɪ.ə] (adjective: paranoid [ˈpærə.nɔɪd]) is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself. (e.g. "Everyone is out to get me.") Making false accusations and the general distrust of others also frequently accompany paranoia. For example, an incident most people would view as an accident or coincidence, a paranoid person might believe was intentional.

:smiliepalm:

b0ng
01-07-2013, 12:44 PM

You registered here barely over a month ago. You are free to leave any time.

2012Champs
01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
I have never seen an opposing teams fanbase more paranoid about the referees and claiming unfair # of calls againt their team as this one.

Eageles, Chiefs, Steelers, Colts, Pats, Jet= i've posted on all their boards and never seen as much crying about officials as here.

This is shameful....

Without a doubt its pretty pathetic

2012Champs
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
You registered here barely over a month ago. You are free to leave any time.

It wouldnt matter if he/she registered here a second and a half ago its true

Double Barrel
01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't believe the refs have any agenda to call the game in favor of NE. Please stop investing in a nonsense beliefs like that. The only reason Texans seems like they getting the short end of the sticks sometimes is their agrressive and undisciplined style of plays on defense lately. Their secondary have bad habits for not playing the ball when it's in the air and they grab and pull on nearly every snap. When a team plays Defense like that official will always favor the Offense.

yeah, I don't get it, either.

Houston has had it's share of bad calls by refs, but I think it was ALL due to human error and certainly had nothing to do with any kind of conspiracy against specific cities or franchises.

Next weekend, if the TV people had their way, would have been the Colts/Luck going to Denver/Manning. THAT would be perfect for television ratings. But absolutely nothing in yesterday's game made me think that the refs were on the books to throw the game.

Look, it's Occam's razor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor),folks. Y'all are making this way to complicated. The simplest reason is usually the right reason. If the Texans lose next weekend, it will be because the Patriots played their game and the Texans likely got manhandled by NE. We might have a call here or there, but until you show a clear track record of bad calls that clearly influenced a game one way or the other, it's all just blowing smoke at this point.

fiasco west
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't think the NFL fixes matchups...

What I do think what happens is the refs give the benefit of doubt to better teams and players.

For example, guys like Pollard will get called for roughing much more likely because he has the reputation of head hunting....Brady can overthrow a guy 20 yards on a deep pass because maybe the ref says

"Oh that's Brady, he hits that pass unless there is some holding going on." throws yellow flag.

Some Bengal fans claim there was a lot of holding going on by our linemen...haven't looked at every snap closely but maybe so? After all we have 3 probowl linemen on our line, Maybe a guy like Brown that has the reputation of not giving up many sacks gets away with it a lot more?

I know Andre gets away with pushing off a lot. He's known as a physical receiver so I think he gets away with it a lot.

Basically, superstar calls. Happens in the NFL too. That's why I'm expecting that one bogus P.I call for Brady.

Dread-Head
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
You're NOT a conspiracy theorist...that's EXACTLY what the NFL wants.

Luv_ya_blue
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM

This is shameful....

Yup.

Double Barrel
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Yes, he is a conspiracy theorist until he PROVES otherwise.

Subjective conjecture requires illogical assumptions. And crappy calls made 10, 20, 30 years ago prove nothing but human imperfection.

I like a good conspiracy as much as anyone, but y'all are just taking it to another level. How about using this much critical thinking on building 7?

Saying the NFL is influencing games to benefit tv ratings is akin to saying that NASA never landed on the moon, IMO.

You have absolutely nothing substantial to back it up, and you are building in a flimsy excuse to cover up for a team with known deficiencies.

infantrycak
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM

What it wants and what they do are two different issues.

Saying the NFL is influencing games to benefit tv ratings is akin to saying that NASA never landed on the moon, IMO.

I don't think the NFL is manipulating games for TV ratings.

I think stars do get some special treatment.

I think some crews, Ed Hochuli's in particular and I have said this since before the Texans existed, tend to "when in doubt call it for the favored team."

Even on those issues I don't think the refs ever get together and decide to call it that way.

Double Barrel
01-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I think stars do get some special treatment.

I agree. It's the so-called Michael Jordan rule evident in all sports.

But, that road goes both way. I've seen Andre Johnson get the benefit of superstar treatment, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ Watt gets the same as time goes on.

I just don't think these calls are making the difference in the outcomes of games.

qqert
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM

the mafia/mob part or the special treatment?

there is ALWAYS something fishy with business, we all know it.
they can never regulate themselves, look at enron, worldcom, goldman-sachs, etc.

it's a business, to say that the NFL is pure sport is to be naive!

qqert
01-07-2013, 02:28 PM
btw, even the vatican is corrupt.

infantrycak
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM

But, that road goes both way. I've seen Andre Johnson get the benefit of superstar treatment, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ Watt gets the same as time goes on.

Well you tend to find more stars on successful teams so maybe they get a few extra calls. I don't think it is because the NFL wants a Brady v. Manning matchup or anything like that. As I said, I don't think any of this gets discussed. I just think it is an unconscious tendency at times.

I just don't think these calls are making the difference in the outcomes of games.

As you said the road goes both ways so sometimes we benefit as in Detroit. I do think there are certain times bad officiating does make the difference in a game.

Heck there is a pretty good argument one SB was decided by bad officiating. In SB V the Cowboys clearly recovered a fumble on the Colts 1 yard line and inexplicably the referee comes running up and signals Colts ball as the same Cowboy everyone saw jump on the ball is standing there holding the ball. 3 pt game.

From the Texans - no conspiracy to it. 2003 we play the Patriots to overtime. 3rd down in OT Sharper gets called for a phantom PI call putting the Pats in field goal range and boom the game is over.

So I think poor officiating can affect the outcome of games. Generally it does not and I don't see a conspiracy. Now I have to go knock on wood nothing is called to make me scream about the officiating.

handswarmer
01-07-2013, 10:11 PM

say it ain't so?

TejasTom
01-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Look out for the black helicopters.

ObsiWan
01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEQtASq9BI

Brady fumbled. Pure and simple.
There was no attempt to release the ball as if to pass. I assume you're familiar with the mechanics of throwing a pass. The release point is at the top of the throwing arc. The ball was well below that point, below his head, nearly at chest level. No one, especially a technically correct passer like Brady, would or could successfully throw a pass with the ball still in his hand at chest level.
So come off it.
He fumbled.
Under orders from Goodell or from just plain old ineptness, the refs blew that one.

ObsiWan
01-08-2013, 08:25 AM
As you said the road goes both ways so sometimes we benefit as in Detroit. I do think there are certain times bad officiating does make the difference in a game.

If you are referring to Forsett's TD that shouldn't have been a TD, that's not on the refs. That's totally on Jim Schwartz. He had the challenge flag thrown before Forsett got into the endzone. That took the call out of the refs' hands completely. He even said so himself during the post-game presser. His temper cost them that score. I won't say it cost them the game because nothing says we wouldn't have scored on that drive without his "help".

b0ng
01-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Anybody from Houston who has rooted for the Oilers back in the day and witnessed things like the Mike Renfro "catch" or Don Beebee going out of bounds then coming back in have a predisposition to assume the Refs are going to screw them at some point. And handswarmer I'm just going to assume you've never been to a Raiders board and asked them about Refs.

Arky
01-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Here's a bit of research I did a couple of years ago back when looking at "1st downs from penalty" in the Colts vs. Texans series back when Peyton was at the helm:

I've been looking at a few stats in the Texans vs. Colts series. The one I find most curious is "1st downs from penalty". The Texans don't really have a rep as a penalized team, in fact, they are usually in the upper half of the least penalized teams in recent years.

In the NFL, each game, teams normally get 0, 1 or 2 of these per game. 0, 1 and 2 are all common numbers for 1st downs from penalty/game.

In the Texans vs. Colts series (Texan win/loss in parentheses):

--------------

Game 1 @ Indy (L): Texans 1, Colts 6
Game 2 @ Houston (L): Texans 0, Colts 4

Totals for 2009: Texans 1, Colts 10
--------------

Game 1 @ Houston (W): Texans 1, Colts 2
Game 2 @ Indy (L): Texans 2, Colts 1

Totals for 2010: Texans 3, Colts 3 (a "normal" year)
---------------

Game 1 @ Houston (W): Texans 1, Colts 1
Game 2 @ Indy (L): Texans 1, Colts 6

Totals for 2011: Texans 2, Colts 7
---------------

Grand totals last 3 years, first downs from penalty: Texans 6, Colts 20

This genuinely qualifies as lopsided.

Just thought I'd point this out since I wasted probably an hour of my time looking this stuff up.

Now that I look at it again a year or so later, the 2009 and 2011 games in Indy both had 6(!) first downs from penalty for the Colts..... *that* is a bunch. That can change a game.....but it is what it is...

Edit: Peyton didn't play in 2011 but it didn't seem to change things much. Also, no doubt there were different officiating crews involved in this data...

b0ng
01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Let's say you are an oddsmaker working for a casino in Vegas, and you were having to make the numbers up for some prop bets for the Texans/Patriots game coming up. What odds would you give for these scenarios:

Texans win outright
Patriots win outright
Patriots win via critical call by the Refs late in the game (something like the Justin Forsett TD on thanksgiving)
Texans win via same way.

2012Champs
01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Let's say you are an oddsmaker working for a casino in Vegas, and you were having to make the numbers up for some prop bets for the Texans/Patriots game coming up. What odds would you give for these scenarios:

Texans win outright
Patriots win outright
Patriots win via critical call by the Refs late in the game (something like the Justin Forsett TD on thanksgiving)
Texans win via same way.

Well the first two are already out there the moneyline for the texans is betting 100.00 to win 330-400 and the moneyline on the pats is betting 400-500 to win 100.00.

Interesting note the balt/denver game has a moneyline about the same. The nfc games are much tighter in the low-mid hundreds on both sides

The last two are highly unlikely so much so I dont any house would waste time putting odds on it

Arky
01-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Interesting note the balt/denver game has a moneyline about the same. The nfc games are much tighter in the low-mid hundreds on both sides.....

That would be because the moneyline is more or less a ratio to the point spread. For example, Texans and Ravens are both about 9 pt dogs wereas the Packers and the Seahawks are (roughly) 3 pt dogs. The higher the point spread, the wider the gap in the favorite/underdog moneyline.

BALTIMORE +9, +355 (ml)
DENVER -9, -425 (ml)

GREEN BAY +3, +145 (ml)
SAN FRANCISCO -3, -165 (ml)

SEATTLE +2½, +125 (ml)
ATLANTA -2½, -145 (ml)

HOUSTON +9, +330 (ml)
NEW ENGLAND -9, -400 (ml)

Placing a bet on the Texan spread and winning would return most of your bet. Placing a bet on the Texans moneyline and winning would return your bet almost 3.3 times larger. The hard part is being correct....

bong: A prop bet involving the refs would probably be unlikely but you might be able to get/ask for one in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas, NFL, gambling go back a ways. IIRC, I believe it was Pete Rozell that had teams start issuing injury reports for the benefit of gamblers...

ajohnson80
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
over or under..Brady gets 2 pi calls

El Tejano
01-08-2013, 01:12 PM

This is shameful....

Because the NFL has screwed us more than all of them.

Double Barrel
01-08-2013, 01:36 PM
So I think poor officiating can affect the outcome of games. Generally it does not and I don't see a conspiracy. Now I have to go knock on wood nothing is called to make me scream about the officiating.

I agree completely. There are numerous examples in NFL history where human error led to blown calls that ultimately affected games. There is no doubt that officials are not perfect, and that human element can impact games.

But, that's a far cry from those asserting a back room cabal of NFL commish, league execs, and numerous referees conspiring to fulfill an agenda that panders to network ratings. The NFL is a cash cow already, so risking all of that continuous success by allowing some nefarious plan seems far fetched and ludicrous. Eventually, game film would prove a trend and coaches, GMs, and owners would be sure to make a big deal out of it. No way are any of these cats (coaches, GMs, owners) in on any kind of alleged conspiracy. It just does not make any logical sense at all.

Dutchrudder
01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
I agree completely. There are numerous examples in NFL history where human error led to blown calls that ultimately affected games. There is no doubt that officials are not perfect, and that human element can impact games.

But, that's a far cry from those asserting a back room cabal of NFL commish, league execs, and numerous referees conspiring to fulfill an agenda that panders to network ratings. The NFL is a cash cow already, so risking all of that continuous success by allowing some nefarious plan seems far fetched and ludicrous. Eventually, game film would prove a trend and coaches, GMs, and owners would be sure to make a big deal out of it. No way are any of these cats (coaches, GMs, owners) in on any kind of alleged conspiracy. It just does not make any logical sense at all.

If they were, the Cowboys would not be missing the playoffs so often. Can't ask for a better team to go deep, people love to watch them win and love to watch them lose. The ratings would be huge if they made the NFCC or Super Bowl.

Surreal McCoy
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Conspiracy Theorists, oh dear. :headhurts:

Conspiracy theorists are the people who believe there are little green men hidden somewhere in New Mexico by a government capable of the greatest cover up in the history of the entire planet, yet also believe that same government is incapable of running a school lunch programme.

Modest
01-08-2013, 05:02 PM
This thread needs to be renamed 'Lets cry about The Tuck rule.'

Jesus, this is almost as bad as a Raiders forum.

ObsiWan
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I've always wondered, why refs aren't made available post-game to explain some of the more confusing or questionable calls.

And why is it that players and coaches are susceptable to heavy fines (and suspension?) when they criticize the officiating in the press??

Finally, I understand each reffing crew is graded after every game; why aren't the fans privvy to the outcome of those assessments? Why don't we get to know which groups call the game correctly and which ones are trending toward mediocrity ...or worse...??

Dutchrudder
01-08-2013, 05:42 PM
I've always wondered, why refs aren't made available post-game to explain some of the more confusing or questionable calls.

And why is it that players and coaches are susceptable to heavy fines (and suspension?) when they criticize the officiating in the press??

Finally, I understand each reffing crew is graded after every game; why aren't the fans privvy to the outcome of those assessments? Why don't we get to know which groups call the game correctly and which ones are trending toward mediocrity ...or worse...??

Because then people would constantly make threads complaining about the refs, duh...

ObsiWan
01-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Because then people would constantly make threads complaining about the refs, duh...
:spit:

2012Champs
01-08-2013, 06:38 PM

Making the refs available post game would be a total cluster. No way I would put that in place if I were calling it. Also I can't go on tv bad mouth any of my coworkers so I can see why the nfl fines people. Thy have internal channels to handle issues with officiating problems

Jules Winnfield
01-08-2013, 07:14 PM
if you cant overcome bad officiating you dont deserve to win the game.

That's how i feel about refereeing in all sports across the board.

ObsiWan
01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Making the refs available post game would be a total cluster. No way I would put that in place if I were calling it. You do not say why. And I'm not asking for them to be targets of derision, just that they be made available to explain confusing/contraversial calls and explain rule interpretations. The press doesn't (in most cases) deride players and coaches during post-game pressers. They do, however, ask "how come?" questions. I would expect this interview process to be conducted in the same professional manner with the same respect they give players and coaches.

What's wrong with that?

ObsiWan
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Remember those B/S calls against J.J. Watt last year in Indy that gave the Colts first down after first down - in the red zone after we'd stopped them - in the last minutes of that game? How do you overcome those when there's no time on the clock?

patfanken
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
WoW! That's all I can say after reading this thread. WOW! I thought people from Texas would be more knowledgeable about the game they are purported to love so much. There hasn't been a single referee that hasn't said that the call the ref made in the Oakland/Pats playoff game wasn't the correct one. Just because the announcers and most of the fans watching the game, didn't know this obscure rule, doesn't change that FACT.

That's being said, the call the Colts got in your game was a lot less cut and dried, but that's just my opinion.

As to the irrational feeling that Houston gets screwed, its only natural, and every fan base feels that way. I know for a certain fact that there is a healthy number of Pats fans who feel that if the Pats manage to get by Houston on Sunday, they'll not only have to beat the Broncos, but also the refs.

The feeling that the Pats ALWAYS get the calls is absurd. Over the years the Pats have be victimized by bad calls as often as they've been helped. The best example was the 2006 AFCCG vs the Colts. In that game the Pats were victimized by a phantom PI call in the endzone, and just 2 series later what might be the most blatent PI I've seen in over 40 years of watching the NFL was totally ignored. I could name a dozen other games as well.

Lets take the last Houston Pats game. The Pats seemingly got 2 calls in their favor. One was the first drive where a holding call that kept the drive going. Even a Texan fan who saw the replay would have to admit that Welker WAS being held. Hell, he was being tackled.

The second was the long PI, when the Welker was hit on a ball that seemed well overthrown. Believe me I was as outraged by the call as Texans fans were, and I said so to my fellow Pats fans on our message board. HOWEVER, it was pointed out that by cutting off Welker's attempt to catch the ball, the Texan DB violated the rules and was correctly flagged.

Now that I understand that the correct call was made, my outrage is more against the rule as opposed to the ref who called it. BTW - if you are tired of watching QB's make bad passes and get rewarded with a long gain blame Bill Polian. HE's the one who got the rules changed after he realized he'd never beat the Pats or Steelers under the old rules

BTW- if you watched the Raven Colts game, throwing up prayers and hoping the refs bail you out was clearly a part of the Raven's offensive plan. Flacco did it over and over again, and thanks to the Polian rules it worked

That's why the Texans would be crazy not to employ the same strategy against the Pats. On third and 10 go deep. Whats the down side. One AJ catches it. Two - the defensive player is flagged - Three the pass is incomplete Four - the pass is picked, Either of the first 2 options result in a 40 yd gain, Either of the later 2 options result in the Pats getting the ball 40 yds down field. Again, what's the downside? And that's why the PI can be the most unfair penalty in existence. No other penalty exacts such a cost on what is often a judgement call

Arky
01-08-2013, 09:27 PM
WoW! That's all I can say after reading this thread. WOW! I thought people from Texas would be more knowledgeable about the game they are purported to love so much. There hasn't been a single referee that hasn't said that the call the ref made in the Oakland/Pats playoff game wasn't the correct one. Just because the announcers and most of the fans watching the game, didn't know this obscure rule, doesn't change that FACT.

Is not the tuck rule a judgement call? Many people after becoming aware of the rule still think it was a bad call.....

Texans fans are like any other fanbase. We've got many knowlegeable fans and many not-so-knowledgeable fans... I'm thinkin' if I went to Pats messageboard I wouldn't have to look far to find a few not-so-knowledgeable fans....

Re: the PI on Manning at 12:17 of the 2nd quarter of the Texans/Pats game perhaps you didn't hear Gruden's comments:

"I don't like that call at all. That ball was uncatchable". "I think that was a common sense no-call". (And then the camera shows Wade Phillips who almost never loses his cool going ballistic.) Gruden: "Yeah, I agree with him, I don't like that call one bit. 3rd down and 10 you throw the prayer up there into double coverage and you get the call".

Just a different perspective from what many consider a knowledgeable announcer....

patfanken
01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Is not the tuck rule a judgement call? Many people after becoming aware of the rule still think it was a bad call.....

Texans fans are like any other fanbase. We've got many knowlegeable fans and many not-so-knowledgeable fans... I'm thinkin' if I went to Pats messageboard I wouldn't have to look far to find a few not-so-knowledgeable fans....

Re: the PI on Manning at 12:17 of the 2nd quarter of the Texans/Pats game perhaps you didn't hear Gruden's comments:

"I don't like that call at all. That ball was uncatchable". "I think that was a common sense no-call". (And then the camera shows Wade Phillips who almost never loses his cool going ballistic.) Gruden: "Yeah, I agree with him, I don't like that call one bit. 3rd down and 10 you throw the prayer up there into double coverage and you get the call".

Just a different perspective from what many consider a knowledgeable announcer....Clearly you aren't aware that the tuck rule was put in place to take "judgement" away from the ref. After the 2001 season the league took a hard look at the tuck rule and chose to keep it as is, despite public sentiment to change it, or drop it entirely. The reason given was it was that they wanted to to keep what was an incompletion and what was a fumble less of a judgement call and the tuck rule made that possible.

Now over 11 years later they will look at it again over this off season. It will be interesting to see what they say.

BTW- what John Gruden or anyone else has to say about some call, is just their opinion. Often that opinion is just as valid as your's or mine. At the time I agreed with Gruden. I have since found out I was wrong.....and so was Gruden.

ajohnson80
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Clearly you aren't aware that the tuck rule was put in place to take "judgement" away from the ref. After the 2001 season the league took a hard look at the tuck rule and chose to keep it as is, despite public sentiment to change it, or drop it entirely. The reason given was it was that they wanted to to keep what was an incompletion and what was a fumble less of a judgement call and the tuck rule made that possible.

Now over 11 years later they will look at it again over this off season. It will be interesting to see what they say.

BTW- what John Gruden or anyone else has to say about some call, is just their opinion. Often that opinion is just as valid as your's or mine. At the time I agreed with Gruden. I have since found out I was wrong.....and so was Gruden.
I would say his opinion is more valid than yours or mine. Thats like saying my opinion is as valid as a doctors when evaluating a disorder of some sort.

Arky
01-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Clearly you aren't aware that the tuck rule was put in place to take "judgement" away from the ref. After the 2001 season the league took a hard look at the tuck rule and chose to keep it as is, despite public sentiment to change it, or drop it entirely. The reason given was it was that they wanted to to keep what was an incompletion and what was a fumble less of a judgement call and the tuck rule made that possible.

Call it "judgement call", call it "ref's interpretation", call it "homer call"....Hairsplitting at its finest.

Like I said, there are many people that are well aware of the fine print of the tuck rule and still think it was a bad call.

Technically, the ref enforced the rule as he saw it. In the NBA they call this "ticky-tack".

Gruden said this, "I think that was a common sense no-call". And I happen to agree with that "judgement" or "opinion". I mostly respect Gruden's viewpoints.... Yours? I have not made a judgement, yet...

TheMatrix31
01-09-2013, 09:20 AM

That is incredibly dumb.

Yes people, sometimes bad/no-calls happen and sometimes they're destructive enough to change the complexion of the game no matter when they happened and yes, it's okay to blame them for losses if they're egregious enough.

Get out of your little utopian fantasy where refereeing never ever truly affects a game.

As for this game, New England almost always gets typical Patriot bull**** thrown their way, whether by referee failure or some other stroke of luck. I expect it. It will happen. We'll see how detrimental those instances will be.

Dutchrudder
01-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Hey now, the guy who brought up the tuck rule is a Raiders fan, so don't go getting us all mixed up with that sad lot of fans...

Surreal McCoy
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
That is incredibly dumb.

Yes people, sometimes bad/no-calls happen and sometimes they're destructive enough to change the complexion of the game no matter when they happened and yes, it's okay to blame them for losses if they're egregious enough.

Get out of your little utopian fantasy where refereeing never ever truly affects a game.

As for this game, New England almost always gets typical Patriot bull**** thrown their way, whether by referee failure or some other stroke of luck. I expect it. It will happen. We'll see how detrimental those instances will be.

Yeah, he said the same thing about the Seattle/GB game. Erm, wait... maybe not...

Modest
01-09-2013, 06:34 PM
That is incredibly dumb.

Clearly the Patriots are the only team that ever get calls in their favor. Ever.

qqert
01-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Making the refs available post game would be a total cluster. No way I would put that in place if I were calling it. Also I can't go on tv bad mouth any of my coworkers so I can see why the nfl fines people. Thy have internal channels to handle issues with officiating problems

but thats the only way any sense of impropriety gets noticed/caught.
more transparency is needed, a fair audit by a disinterested party, or by the fans.

less transparency = more corruption

and everytime i see a pass interference call while the ball gets thrown 10 yards out of reach i get to think, welp here we go with the sublime game-fixing...

dc_txtech
01-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Conspiracist is a hard word to say when your drunk.

PatsFanatic
01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
That is incredibly dumb.

Cool. Go watch the Pats Ravens game earlier in the season. Ravens won by 1 on a field goal that never went through. Every drive by Flacco in the second half was aided by a questionable PI call. That one extra game would mean lots in this afc seeding. But, we'll persevere.

I think the Texans are a good team and I'd have been pulling for them if my team wasn't in it.

There are actually two players You have that I'd love to have on the Pats.
Watt and Foster. No others...The Pats have been drafting form the bottom of the barrel for 10 years straight.

Texan_Bill
01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Call me a conspiracist.....

"Back, and to the left... back, and to the left... back, and to the left."

"a coup d'etat..."

417Texan
01-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Thing makes me nervous is that Goodell wants a Bronco and Patiot final. Nbc wants it and so does the least coast media.

coltfan123
01-09-2013, 11:47 PM

This is shameful....

they are use to the sky falling

ObsiWan
01-10-2013, 06:13 AM
they are use to the sky falling

Says the guy whose team won last year, in Indy, because the refs kept their last drive alive - in the red zone - with two bogus penalties on J J Watt and a PI call on the 6.
PuhLeeze....

handswarmer
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Cool. Go watch the Pats Ravens game earlier in the season. Ravens won by 1 on a field goal that never went through. Every drive by Flacco in the second half was aided by a questionable PI call. That one extra game would mean lots in this afc seeding. But, we'll persevere.

I think the Texans are a good team and I'd have been pulling for them if my team wasn't in it.

Watt and Foster. No others...The Pats have been drafting form the bottom of the barrel for 10 years straight.

O geez- whine much? The FG was good.So was the call on McCourty. You got beat. Stop crying into ya chowdah...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1347223-breaking-down-the-officiating-in-new-england-patriots-loss-to-baltimore-ravens

PatsFanatic
01-10-2013, 07:34 PM
O geez- whine much? The FG was good.So was the call on McCourty. You got beat. Stop crying into ya chowdah...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1347223-breaking-down-the-officiating-in-new-england-patriots-loss-to-baltimore-ravens

Yup. The replacement ref's said so too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sav3uTJL0c

handswarmer
01-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Yup. The replacement ref's said so too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sav3uTJL0c

Angles my man, its all about angles....

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/24/3380874/bill-belichick-ref-field-goal-patriots-ravens

MEGA SWATT
01-10-2013, 11:49 PM
we stop them on 3rd and 6 and they call some bs holding call and prolong their drive (later KJ didn't fall on the ball) - one is on us and the other on the refs.....

Later the PI call on manning on the uncatchable ball 5 yrds up the field on 3rd and 10....prolong their drive.

2nd half:
The offensive PI on Jean........bs, the defender got in jean's way and wasn't playing the ball

This totally took the texans out of the game

Even if it's still a loss, it would have been more like 28 to 14 or 31 to 21

Seems like everything bounced the pat's way...

Texan_Bill
01-11-2013, 12:02 AM
WOW!!! TexansTalk has now become a sounding board for Ravens v. Patriots smack talk... I like it!!

Well... :thinking: Not so much!

Then again, if I had my druthers, Ravens fan gets my nod...... Patriots fans SUCK!!! (Given their actions and piss poor, 'Holier than thou' attitudes during Super Bowl XXXVIII)

handswarmer
01-11-2013, 08:39 AM
WOW!!! TexansTalk has now become a sounding board for Ravens v. Patriots smack talk... I like it!!

Well... :thinking: Not so much!

Then again, if I had my druthers, Ravens fan gets my nod...... Patriots fans SUCK!!! (Given their actions and piss poor, 'Holier than thou' attitudes during Super Bowl XXXVIII)

Its all good- I enjoy the discussion; not so much the 'smack' talk but an honest discussion sprinkled with some jabs and barbs... its all good though- at least our teams are still playing this late in the season...

And well, at least I can speak for myself when I say, I appreciate football and my home team more now since an absence of football for 12 years....no current fans of a team had to endure that except LA= and they couldn't give a rat's a**

Texan_Touchdown
01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I feel sorry for Pats fans when Brady retires.

2012Champs
01-11-2013, 02:00 PM
You do not say why. And I'm not asking for them to be targets of derision, just that they be made available to explain confusing/contraversial calls and explain rule interpretations. The press doesn't (in most cases) deride players and coaches during post-game pressers. They do, however, ask "how come?" questions. I would expect this interview process to be conducted in the same professional manner with the same respect they give players and coaches.

What's wrong with that?

Why not? Because the refs answer to the nfl and if I was running it I would keep it that way. Getting Refs in front of the camera trying to explain things only in my mind makes things worse. It would setup the refs to potentially fup in terms of how they handle public scruitiny. What value does it add to the NFL? I dont see any and if there is any there I dont see it being enough to offset potential issues/risk

handswarmer
01-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Why not? Because the refs answer to the nfl and if I was running it I would keep it that way. Getting Refs in front of the camera trying to explain things only in my mind makes things worse. It would setup the refs to potentially fup in terms of how they handle public scruitiny. What value does it add to the NFL? I dont see any and if there is any there I dont see it being enough to offset potential issues/risk

For the Win......got it!

2012Champs
01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
but thats the only way any sense of impropriety gets noticed/caught.
more transparency is needed, a fair audit by a disinterested party, or by the fans.

less transparency = more corruption

and everytime i see a pass interference call while the ball gets thrown 10 yards out of reach i get to think, welp here we go with the sublime game-fixing...

Im not sure what you think you would get out of this but I dont think you would get what you might be working towards.

1. Its not your job to audit the ref, you arent in the business of running the nfl

2. I dont think post game interviews adding transparency at all

3. I dont see your post game questioning of a PI call changing the call of the field nor do I see the Refs agreeing that their call was bad

Im not sure if you notice what happend earlier this season between the hawks and pack but the call was crap and the NFL came out and supported it. The call stands, the game stands and a post game interview wasnt and wouldnt change it going forward

infantrycak
01-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Im not sure what you think you would get out of this but I dont think you would get what you might be working towards.

1. Its not your job to audit the ref, you arent in the business of running the nfl

2. I dont think post game interviews adding transparency at all

3. I dont see your post game questioning of a PI call changing the call of the field nor do I see the Refs agreeing that their call was bad

Im not sure if you notice what happend earlier this season between the hawks and pack but the call was crap and the NFL came out and supported it. The call stands, the game stands and a post game interview wasnt and wouldnt change it going forward

The NFLNetwork had a regular segment where the head of officiating broke down several of the weekends controversial calls and admitted on quite a few occasions the referees had made mistakes. I thought it was great and added credibility to the league. I would like that expanded but I agree the individual referee crews should not have to give press conferences after the game.

michaelm
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM

Since it's just opinion, I can't say you're wrong, but you're ****ing nuts if you wouldn't want:
Brian Cushing
Johnathon Joseph
Danieal Manning
Glover Quin
Duane Brown

If you wouldn't want any of those players, you either don't know football, or you're just purposely being obtuse.
I also cannot, at his juncture, rule out jackass.

Vinny
01-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Since it's just opinion, I can't say you're wrong, but you're ****ing nuts if you wouldn't want:
Brian Cushing
Johnathon Joseph
Danieal Manning
Glover Quin
Duane Brown

If you wouldn't want any of those players, you either don't know football, or you're just purposely being obtuse.
I wouldn't put Grover in that group...nice player but not elite.

michaelm
01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't put Grover in that group...nice player but not elite imo.

I wasn't necessarily trying to say any of them are elite, per say. Just pointing out that they are valuable players that would find a spot on any NFL roster.
He said he wouldn't want any of them, and that is somewhat hard to believe.

Vinny
01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
I wasn't necessarily trying to say any of them are elite, per say. Just pointing out that they are valuable players that would find a spot on any NFL roster.
He said he wouldn't want any of them, and that is somewhat hard to believe. I agree about the obtuseness. :pirate:

handswarmer
01-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Brian Cushing
Johnathon Joseph
Danieal Manning
Glover Quin
Duane Brown

Maybe it really depends on what team a person is a fan of since 'wanting' a Texans player would be a result of an evaluation of the current player on that fan's team. Sure they might be good/great players but are they better than the current player at that position?

Its not 'hating' on a player- its just not valuing them as much as you do....converesly there are players on my team that you wouldn't want because you think your guy is better.

C Madd
01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
I feel sorry for Pats fans when Brady retires.

I think Mallett might surprise some people.

patsfan13
01-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I think Mallett might surprise some people.

I like Mallett a lot but that is not an opinion wildly held among Pats Fans.

IMO Brady will go down as the GOAT, you don't even try to 'replace' that sort of player. Hopefully Mallett will develop enough to keep the team competitive, perhaps a team that expects to win 10-11 instead of 12-14.

Ranger Tom
01-12-2013, 10:50 AM
IIMO Brady will go down as the GOAT, you don't even try to 'replace' that sort of player.

How ironic is it that the acronym for "Greatest of All Time" is a way of referring to the guy that gets blamed for everything?

AndyWin
01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Hope you guys are watching this game right now... seeing the Ravens get all these little ticky tack calls on what could be HUGE plays (hands to the face on a peyton manning fumble of course)

Foreshadowing for tomorrow's game against the even more beloved tom brady

robroy72
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Wait.. Its now a conspiracy against the Donkeys?

Dutchrudder
01-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Hope you guys are watching this game right now... seeing the Ravens get all these little ticky tack calls on what could be HUGE plays (hands to the face on a peyton manning fumble of course)

Wow. Just wow.

ArlingtonTexan
01-12-2013, 08:50 PM

I hope this is a good foreshadowing of tomorrow's game. you might have that working for you.

utahmark
01-12-2013, 08:56 PM
So much for the conspiracy theory. The ref's had several chances to make things a lot more difficult on the Ravens. Or maybe one last Brady vs Ray Ray is what the league wanted all along?:kitten:

gwallaia
01-12-2013, 08:59 PM
So much for this thread.

DocBar
01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
So much for the conspiracy theory. The ref's had several chances to make things a lot more difficult on the Ravens. Or maybe one last Brady vs Ray Ray is what the league wanted all along?:kitten: I hope Goodell offered up severe punishment for ref's that show favoritism in the playoffs.

hradhak
01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Brady is gonna get calls. We have to be real careful on 3rd down to play as clean as we can. I worry about the tuck rule and things like that being called in Brady's favors ala Luck

Patsfan1970
01-12-2013, 11:29 PM
The conspiracy theories and "the refs are against us" are always comical. Win the game like Baltimore did today, its that simple. Dont expect Brady to be as shaky as Manning was today, he is a much better postseason QB. Good luck tomorrow.

DocBar
01-12-2013, 11:31 PM
The conspiracy theories and "the refs are against us" are always comical. Win the game like Baltimore did today, its that simple. Dont expect Brady to be as shaky as Manning was today, he is a much better postseason QB. Good luck tomorrow.Stop inhaling.

Patsfan1970
01-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Stop inhaling.

Get the tin foil cap off your head

Pats
01-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Stop inhaling.

Stop whining about the Refs.

axman40
01-13-2013, 08:58 AM
The NFL wants Flacco vs Brady!
:overreact:l

handswarmer
01-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Wait.. Its now a conspiracy against the Donkeys?

I know right? hard to keep up with who the NFL conspiracy is pointed at....:koolaid:

Perki-Perk
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
The NFL wants Flaco vs Shaub: The Rematch! Just you wait!

AndyWin
01-13-2013, 01:29 PM
loool well this thread failed. We made it 8 pages though.

:wadepalm:

infantrycak
01-13-2013, 02:12 PM
LOL - Brian Billeck in the Seahawks v. Falcons game just said there is a superstar rule in the NFL.

MEGA SWATT
01-13-2013, 02:21 PM
loool well this thread failed. We made it 8 pages though.

:wadepalm:

well, now 9 pages thanks to you:jogger::cow::slapfight:

HoustonFrog
01-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Seems to me the Texans are getting the breaks

klockWork
01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Can we close the case on this one?

gtexan02
01-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Blame falls on our players and staff. We got beat. No excuses

Proudtexan25
01-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Blame falls on our players and staff. We got beat. No excuses

forgetting that bs defensive holding call in the fourth that basically ended the game, why is our fanbase so scared to hold the refs accountable

Vinny
01-13-2013, 08:03 PM
pre-emptive whiner threads always die an ugly death

Everlong
01-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Honestly more calls went in favorof the Ravens and the Texans than the Patriots and Broncos this weekend. There is no conspiracy.

mridge01
01-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Seems to me the Texans are getting the breaks

I agree with this.

Thorn
01-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Honestly more calls went in favorof the Ravens and the Texans than the Patriots and Broncos this weekend. There is no conspiracy.

Yep. The Texans had a few bad calls against them, but for the most part, the refs called a good game and the Texans got more good calls than bad.

The reason the Texans lost is the Texans.

ATXtexanfan
01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Yep. The Texans had a few bad calls against them, but for the most part, the refs called a good game and the Texans got more good calls than bad.

The reason the Texans lost is the Texans.

nope qb play

Spled
01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
The 4th down called on the Walter play and the holding call at the end reeked of the refs saying, "Let's bring this one home for the commissioner".

qqert
01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
forgetting that bs defensive holding call in the fourth that basically ended the game, why is our fanbase so scared to hold the refs accountable

because some people live in fantasyland with child-like naivety.

HoustonFrog
01-13-2013, 08:29 PM
The 4th down called on the Walter play and the holding call at the end reeked of the refs saying, "Let's bring this one home for the commissioner".

Every spot that was wrong and strange penalty went the Texans way. Not sure how anyone can dispute this. Texans didn't get close to screwed. Actually pretty charmed all game

Vinny
01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
are we seriously whining about the refs after that game?

SheTexan
01-13-2013, 09:18 PM
are we seriously whining about the refs after that game?

Fair called game IMHO!! We lost to a better team, a better coach, a better GM (sorry, had to throw that in!) BUT, not to the refs, not in this game!!

dream_team
01-13-2013, 09:44 PM
nope qb play

Nope. Total team loss.

Dutchrudder
01-14-2013, 11:58 AM

^ This. So much this. You have to be a bigger, whinier baby than Brady to claim the refs helped them win that game. A lot of calls went our way, including that OD fumble that should not have been called for forward progress.

dream_team
01-14-2013, 12:19 PM
There were some bad calls made... but it went both ways. Hard to argue which side got the better deal, so in the end, that's the best you can ask for. A perfectly called game in the NFL is impossible.

El Tejano
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Maybe there is no conspiracy theory but I do know the Broncos sinned against God by letting Tebow go and Ray Lewis prays A LOT!!!

HJam72
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Broncos lost and I can't blame the refs for anything. Whatever, I'm crazy anyway. :)