PDA

View Full Version : All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

ObsiWan
10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Speak for yourself. I think it's hilarious and well deserved. Schaub deserves every bit of hate for his performances.
"HATE"...?

Seriously???
Critique? Naturally.
Criticism? Of course.
Benching...? Perhaps.

...but Hate??
Really?

powda
10-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Are people calling for newton's head? Are they making some crazy suggestion that we should pick someone up off the street to replace newton? Pointing out a player making mistake ala Schaub's passing attempt is legit. Losing your damn mind and calling for a 3rd stringer to replace him is crazy

Im calling for Newton's head yes.

I'm not calling for a 3rd stringer to replace Schaub. That's the part that pisses me off most. Schaub is still the best QB option on this team. In the last offseason (and even the previous one) people here clammored for another young talented quarterback option in the draft...we didnt get it. Now we're out of options.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 01:28 PM
great post.

Its so frustrating to see our offense littered with pro bowlers and a young exciting rookie get wasted with dink and dunk passes. You see other teams or should i say "elite/superbowl" teams and they go for the jugular.

I don't know what to think of you. Hard to take serious when you talk about wasting time with dink & dunk passes. That may be an issue this year, but certainly has not been a problem since Schaub has been here.

& going for the jugular... We ripped the Super Bowl Champs jugular clean out last year.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 01:32 PM
So finally the truth comes out. This is really all about "I saw it first" "I saw it years ago" and not really about 1 play right? in 2012 when the Texans started fast, all of the Schaub haters had to bite their tongues.

Where you been? Schaub was booed before the end of the 1st qtr week 1..... at Reliant. Schaub haters weren't biting their tongue last year. The Kubiak haters were having to sit on it for a little while, but not the Schaub haters.

He's never done anything to shut anyone up for any length of time.

Corrosion
10-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Exactly! The point is, it is guys like Newton that are making Schaub look bad by opening the flood gates, which was the same problem the Texans were having last season. Even Peyton Manning can't complete a pass with 3 defenders in his face every play. Watch the pocket his O Line creates for him, and Tom Brady. Give Schaub that kind of protection and he will carve up any team in the league.

But no... Let's just keep laying it all at the feet of Schaub. Makes perfect sense.

You don't see Schaub calling out blitz pick ups & other intricacies either .... Manning see's something in the coverage that needs to be dealt with or exploited , he makes sure the person dealing with it knows it ..... Schaub just hopes like hell that player knows it.

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Lest anyone has already forgotten, from the very beginnings as a Texan, Schaub was always specifically highly touted for his excellent foot work and mechanics.........especially under pressure............now all of a sudden since the end of last season, out the clear blue.........he's a CLUTZ?

Some seem to be focused only on the apparent final position of his feet, when there are many more aspects to having a residual Lisfranc problem.

When you are familiar with the anatomy and the mechanics of the foot, you can understand what can easily be concealed from common observation within a shoe. To begin with, the concept of the HEEL being mainly responsible for ABSORBTION OF IMPACT and the BALL OF THE FOOT being the main force for PROPULSION and CONTROL.

http://www.planet-science.com/media/52683/feet%20walking_469x293.jpg

When a QB pushes off the BACK FOOT, the ball of the foot controls the propulsion (strength of push off) AND the control (the direction of the propulsion). This action places maximal forces/stress on the Lisfranc joint.
The FRONT FOOT then gives BALANCE and facilitates ACCURACY.

Now let's go back to my statement that things can be concealed from common observation with a shoe on. Simply place a tiny pebble under the ball of your foot before tying up your shoe laces. You will notice that you will universally try to avoid the discomfort by slightly shifting your weight, maybe a little to one side, or maybe to another side, in addition to always shifting some of that weight off of the ball onto the heel........though not grossly evident in the display of a repositioning of your foot. In doing so as a QB you are definitely going to be disrupting every aspect of your mechanics. For a while, he can try to compensate and perform adequately through short periods of time, but it will eventually lead to repeated progressive disruption. You may certainly still be able to swivel hips, but this can be performed with subtle shifting weight to the heel, which alleviates stress on the Lisfranc joint. The ability to quickly change direction and move backward, forward, to either side, or even stop abruptly is all effected with subtle shifting of weight to the heel.

What most don't realize is that every time your foot lifts off the ground, you use around 60 bones and 50 muscle groups just to keep you balanced and upright. And that is why some of the slightest foot problems can single-handedly destroy the consistency of all of a QB's mechanics. Schaub hasn't just inexplicably become old, stupid, blind and a "clutz".........with or without pressure. He needs two good feet to successfully consistently complete all of those things he could routinely complete in the past. But his foot does not listen so well anymore to what his brain is trying to tell it to do.

If I were retired and had the time, I could probably write a book on this subject here and in all probability still not satisfy many as to the mechanical implications of such an injury. But I am not retired and don't have the time, and so I'll leave those that may still wish to believe their lying eyes to continue to live in hope.

Nitrofish
10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Where you been? Schaub was booed before the end of the 1st qtr week 1..... at Reliant. Schaub haters weren't biting their tongue last year. The Kubiak haters were having to sit on it for a little while, but not the Schaub haters.

He's never done anything to shut anyone up for any length of time.

So then when the Texans opened 5-0 including a win against the highly praised Broncos, dropped a game to the Pack, then rattled off another 6 in a row it did not shut Schaub haters up? Sure it did.

You don't see Schaub calling out blitz pick ups & other intricacies either .... Manning see's something in the coverage that needs to be dealt with or exploited , he makes sure the person dealing with it knows it ..... Schaub just hopes like hell that player knows it.

So then you are impressed by someone shouting at the line pointing out who the Mike linebacker is? Is that all it will take for you to be entertained and think your QB knows what he is doing?

You completely ignored what I said. Manning can shout out the Mike linebacker all he wants, but if when the ball is snapped he instantly has 3 defenders in his face like what was happening to Schaub most of the 2nd half of the Hawks game, Manning will get sacked, throw incompletions, and yes, even interceptions. But you do not see that often because that line pass blocks really well. The same can't be said for the Texans OL.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 03:21 PM
so doing it once at home vs a raven team dismisses the conservative criticism?

this is what i hate about kubiak and schaub apologist. you guys use one or two games, one or two stats and say hey did this a couple of times that criticism is no longer valid.

I mean are you serious with the "they only do dink and dunk passes this year" comment?

Schaub and kubiak dont go for the jugular ENOUGH. They dont go for killshots down the field ENOUGH. They would rather hang on to the ball, work the field methodically then get stuck in the redzone and kick a field goal.

EVerybody knows this.

I maybe new to texan talk, but ive seen every single houston texan game.

We've blown several teams out. So I don't know what ENOUGH is. Matt's thrown plenty of deep balls in his career, we've discussed it here, it doesn't seem like it, but he's thrown deep as often as Brady, Rodgers, & Brees, so again..... don't know how much would be ENOUGH for some people.

& I'm pretty sure they'd rather score in the red zone than stall in the red zone, but if you've got a link or something where they say they'd prefer to get stuck.... let's see it.

In other words, stop making sht up.

Nitrofish
10-03-2013, 03:26 PM
so what?

what exactly did you accomplish and prove by going 5-0 and almost letting a still recovering Peyton come back and win?

So you are full of excuses and almost's for Peyton Manning, but when it comes to the Texans almost winning a game they were supposed to lose, and lose badly, it's different? Give me a break.

What it proves is that Schaub could win, and the Schaub haters. (like yourself) had no ammunition to work with because he shut them up with his play. Especially that Broncos game. You sound like a Broncos fan with all of that "still gelling with his team", "still recovering" nonsense.

2012Champs
10-03-2013, 03:26 PM
no he doesnt. not only does he not throw as much deep balls as those guys he doesnt complete them either.

matt was 15th in 20+ plays and 14th in 40+ last year so Im not sure what you are putting him up against

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 03:30 PM
So then when the Texans opened 5-0 including a win against the highly praised Broncos, dropped a game to the Pack, then rattled off another 6 in a row it did not shut Schaub haters up? Sure it did.

Where you here? It most definitely did not stop the Schaub haters. The Broncos game is the only one he got credit for, but it was marginalized after the Green bay game. Even today, talk about beating th Broncos in week 5 of last year & it's only because they weren't the team they were in week 14 or later.

Go back & look, it's all still there. May not have been as bad as it is now, but Yates & Keenum's preseason was much anticipated for a reason.

Nitrofish
10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Where you here? It most definitely did not stop the Schaub haters. The Broncos game is the only one he got credit for, but it was marginalized after the Green bay game. Even today, talk about beating th Broncos in week 5 of last year & it's only because they weren't the team they were in week 14 or later.

Go back & look, it's all still there. May not have been as bad as it is now, but Yates & Keenum's preseason was much anticipated for a reason.

It's always been there, and always will be, but it was certainly muted compared to other seasons, especially this one, and yes I was here.

Keenum's preseason was much anticipated because of the rampant UofH homerism on this board. After Yates performance in Baltimore, where coach had to let him off the leash should have told everyone everything they needed to know about him.

Porky
10-03-2013, 04:19 PM
And you don't think throwing the ball in that situation was going for the jugular ?! It surely wasn't a conservative call .... the conservative thing to do in that situation is call a run play and if you fail to convert let your punter do his job and give your defense a long field to defend.

As for a more attacking offense .... Schaub cant seem to execute this simple offense and doesn't have the arm to make the type of downfield throws ... but hey , lets open it up like Aaron Rodgers us in a Texans uniform ..... Come On Breh .....

Context, context, context. Time and place. Situational football. I think you understand the difference but you are just being obtuse.

I personally would have run or taken a kill shot but preferred to run. Last choice was the crap that they ran. And that's not hindsight. In fact, I shouted it out before the play took place. I simply don't trust Schaub not to screw the pooch so if he was going to throw a pick or toss it incomplete, I much preferred they toss it up to Hopkins deep, or some type of deeper pass. In that case, in the event of a pick, it's more like a punt. This was such a by the book move for Kubes.

Run the ball there serves multiple purposes. It's much safer, with much less chance of a disaster. It's very rare for a RB to fumble in a pile like that and a guy picks it up and runs it back to the house. So, it's very likely that a worst case scenario involves a change of possession. And it's less likely a fumble occurs than a pick of any kind. Statistical fact.

Moreover, a run keeps the clock moving. You either make them take the TO or burn time. Both are good. Also, our running game was looking pretty good. There was a decent chance for him to make a 1st down there. But if not, we have the best punter in the NFL who is likely to pin them back inside the 10 or so.

dream_team
10-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Schaub and kubiak dont go for the jugular ENOUGH. They dont go for killshots down the field ENOUGH. They would rather hang on to the ball, work the field methodically then get stuck in the redzone and kick a field goal.

First of all, you need to understand our offensive philosophy. We're not the type of offense that's going to take a 7-step drop and wait for receivers to get open downfield. If that's the type of offense you want, then yes, you want a new coach. Texans prefer to stretch the field horizontally, rather than vertically... then hit receivers quickly with 3 & 5 step drops.

We're actually pretty good once we get in the red zone. Last year, our TD percentage in the red zone was 54.69%. That's ranked 14th, higher than the 49ers, Seahawks, Cowboys, and Colts. This year, we're ranked 5th at 66.67%. So we "settle" for field goals alot less than you think.

ArlingtonTexan
10-03-2013, 04:25 PM
So you don't think he's close to that? His mistakes are demoralizing. I hear the standard lip service, but you have to wonder if the team has any faith in Schaub. I can see where Kubiak and the front office feel trapped. They've re-signed Schaub to a big contract with no obvious heir apparent. But the guys behind him are professional QBs. They have more mobility and stronger arms. They could provide the team with a spark.

If his poor play continues into the season, Schaub becomes a lame duck QB. He won't be brought back for a $10 million salary. If you know that, why wait until he's injured to find out what you have behind him?

Schaub is playing in the worse way possible in terms of giving me hope. He shows just enough okay maybe he not finished where the people(McSmithiak) who want to say "he just needs to correct this decision or move just a hair better and everything will be fine," have evidence. I believe that there is zero chance of him getting benched until injury(not wishing for that) or a couple of 10/26 for 118 with no TDs 3 Int games(that either, texans probably lose). I mean that type of awful.

My other problem is that I think that Yates and/or keenum have 90% chance to be only slightly better than Yates v Ravens playoff game (especially against above average defenses). My "belief" is based on the negative historical data of late round QBs and that eye ball test which says I see a handful of guys that play and show similiar qualities in pre-season pretty much every year. They largely turn in to Hank Nobody-I-Can remember, Matt Moore or Ryan Fitzpatrick on the high side.

In my mind, I only figuring out whether I am dying by crocodile or python.

steelbtexan
10-03-2013, 04:41 PM

So then you are impressed by someone shouting at the line pointing out who the Mike linebacker is? Is that all it will take for you to be entertained and think your QB knows what he is doing?

You completely ignored what I said. Manning can shout out the Mike linebacker all he wants, but if when the ball is snapped he instantly has 3 defenders in his face like what was happening to Schaub most of the 2nd half of the Hawks game, Manning will get sacked, throw incompletions, and yes, even interceptions. But you do not see that often because that line pass blocks really well. The same can't be said for the Texans OL.

Not a hater, but yes Schaub was still making mistakes and I pointed then out at that time.

Yes I want my QB to point out where the blitz is coming from. It's something I would suspect you have a problem with. (Leadership.)

You do realize that the Seahawks are playing without 3 of their starting OL (LT Okung/C Unger/ RT Giacanbi SP???) The Broncos are without 2 of their starting OL (LT Clady/C Walton) and they seem to be able to make due. Why, could it be Schaub cant avoid the rush as well as Manning/Wilson due to his foot?

As far as the Texans DR's go I dont trust them at all. They are paid by the Texans. Look at the highly respected Dr.Andrews who's paid by the Redskins and how he allowed RG3's career to be screwed up. Team Dr's = conflict of interest. Fans may not see this but players are fungible assets if they aren't playing owners aren't getting a return on the $$$$ that they have invested in said player. It's the team Dr.'s job to get them playing as soon as possible. Sometimes to the detriment of the players career. Sometimes to the detriment of a player having a long, healthy, fruitful life after football.

I personally would like to thank C-N-D for helping me with some of my health issues. He has helped many on this MB with various health issues. I/we are lucky to have somebody as knowlegeable and well connected as C-N-D on this MB. Not that you would have a clue about this, or the fact that while we may disagree on the way the Texans are run, we have respect and love for each other thru good times and bad. A good number of us have actually met each other and despite our differences look forward to seeing each other again.

As far as C-N-D calling Texans injuries, He's been right about 99% of the time. From Boselli/DDW/Spencer/Reed/Schaub etc.... he's been right almost every time. The Texans Dr,s not so much. The injury that bothers me the most is Reed. He had a torn labrum on one hip and the Dr's didn't run the right test (MRI vs MRA to determine if he had torn the labrum in the other hip, which they should've known to do since it was possible/probable that the good hip could've been damaged due to Reed compensating for his bad hip.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just thought I would try to help a newbie realize that there's more to life than the Texans. There's respect and friendship on this MB. Which is why I spend most of my internet time on this MB.

Corrosion
10-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Context, context, context. Time and place. Situational football. I think you understand the difference but you are just being obtuse.

I personally would have run or taken a kill shot but preferred to run. Last choice was the crap that they ran. And that's not hindsight. In fact, I shouted it out before the play took place. I simply don't trust Schaub not to screw the pooch so if he was going to throw a pick or toss it incomplete, I much preferred they toss it up to Hopkins deep, or some type of deeper pass. In that case, in the event of a pick, it's more like a punt. This was such a by the book move for Kubes.

Run the ball there serves multiple purposes. It's much safer, with much less chance of a disaster. It's very rare for a RB to fumble in a pile like that and a guy picks it up and runs it back to the house. So, it's very likely that a worst case scenario involves a change of possession. And it's less likely a fumble occurs than a pick of any kind. Statistical fact.

Moreover, a run keeps the clock moving. You either make them take the TO or burn time. Both are good. Also, our running game was looking pretty good. There was a decent chance for him to make a 1st down there. But if not, we have the best punter in the NFL who is likely to pin them back inside the 10 or so.

Im not being obtuse at all .... I would much preferred to have just run the damn ball and let Lechler do his job if they didn't make it , said as much multiple times in multiple threads.

But .... despite what we would have done should have done .... Its what Schaub did that resulted in a pick six and another L.

He never should have thrown the damn ball. That's the bottom line.
Taking a sack was the best option remaining - It kept the clock running or forced the SeaDucks to spend a time out , It gave Lechler & the defense the opportunity to do their jobs ..... while still having a 7 point lead and time getting short.

Option A run the ball
Option B take a sack
Option C throw it away
Option D throw a wounded duck in the vicinity of a defender.

Options A & B give relatively the same result - with option B giving Lechler more room to operate .... taking the delay of game penalty we would have seen the SeaDucks decline.

Option C doesn't run time off the clock but is far superior to Option D ....

Option D , Schaubs decision , obviously the worst of all his options even if its not run back for a score , the SeaDucks get a shorter field and momentum.

If you think that's all he's shouting .... you don't know what you are watching.

76Texan
10-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Im not being obtuse at all .... I would much preferred to have just run the damn ball and let Lechler do his job if they didn't make it , said as much multiple times in multiple threads.

But .... despite what we would have done should have done .... Its what Schaub did that resulted in a pick six and another L.

Taking a sack was the best option remaining - It kept the clock running or forced the SeaDucks to spend a time out , It gave Lechler & the defense the opportunity to do their jobs ..... while still having a 7 point lead and time getting short.

Option A run the ball
Option B take a sack
Option C throw it away

Options A & B give relatively the same result - with option B giving Lechler more room to operate .... taking the delay of game penalty we would have seen the SeaDucks decline.

Option D , Schaubs decision , obviously the worst of all his options even if its not run back for a score , the SeaDucks get a shorter field and momentum.

If you think that's all he's shouting .... you don't know what you are watching.
Option A. Run the ball strong side left.
Option B. Throw the ball to Graham cutting across the field, behind the weak side backer who had bought the run fake.
Option C. Throw the ball to the inside of OD.

Norg
10-03-2013, 05:05 PM
that play he needs to be aware more that's what happens when u turn ur back to the D he didn't see that one Hawk come to the line to blitz

im over it tho I cant wait to watch dem Texans at 49ers this will be a really tough game has well man all the games are hard but I think these past weeks have been the toughest

steelbtexan
10-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Option A run the ball
Option B take a sack
Option C throw it away

It's sad that Gary cant trust Schaub to make the right decision on something as simple as what you've laid out in this post. Perhaps this is the reason Gary plays things conservatively 99% of the time. If so it's past time to look for a new QB. We can expect Gary to call a run play next time in this situation and that is what's wrong with this whole situation.

No, he doesn't know what he's watching. IMHO

steelbtexan
10-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Option A. Run the ball strong side left.
Option B. Throw the ball to Graham cutting across the field, behind the weak side backer who had bought the run fake.
Option C. Throw the ball to the inside of OD.

Option D. Throw the ball directly to Sherman.

76Texan
10-03-2013, 05:08 PM
that play he needs to be aware more that's what happens when u turn ur back to the D he didn't see that one Hawk come to the line to blitz

im over it tho I cant wait to watch dem Texans at 49ers this will be a really tough game has well man all the games are hard but I think these past weeks have been the toughest

Norg, the blitzer was there early; Schaub saw him alright...

Or should I say, Schaub was supposed to see him.

2012Champs
10-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Norg, the blitzer was there early; Schaub saw him alright...

Or should I say, Schaub was supposed to see him.

A former NFL QB doesnt agree with your assesment. Should someone on the line picked up the blitz?

Porky
10-03-2013, 05:24 PM
matt was 15th in 20+ plays and 14th in 40+ last year so Im not sure what you are putting him up against

There's a big difference between plays and passes. :kitten:

2012Champs
10-03-2013, 05:26 PM
There's a big difference between plays and passes. :kitten:

So tell me how you get the plays without passes? Certainly since everyone thinks we never attempt any we would have to attempt some number above the number of plays right?

Corrosion
10-03-2013, 05:30 PM
A former NFL QB doesnt agree with your assesment. Should someone on the line picked up the blitz?

With Newton engaged with the DE (he may as well have whiffed) and the run fake going the opposite direction ..... there isn't anyone to pick up the blitzer , Schaub has to make him miss or eat the sack.
With Schaub's cement shoes I think they are going to have to be much more creative with their protections.

Something I saw the Patriots do on a play action roll out last week was have the center pull & the rest of the OL block down the line as if it were a trap play but the center rolls with the QB picking up any defensive interference .... Brady had all freakin day to survey the field. Very well designed play by Belecheat ....

chenjy9
10-03-2013, 05:32 PM
"HATE"...?

Seriously???
Critique? Naturally.
Criticism? Of course.
Benching...? Perhaps.

...but Hate??
Really?

Hate is too strong of a word. How about severe dislike? Schaub's ****tiness has transcended anger and disappointment. At this point I just want him on the bench and as far away from the field as possible.

76Texan
10-03-2013, 05:39 PM

On a naked bootleg, there's always at least one free blitzer.
Even if there were two blitzers, it was on Schaub to check into the run play to the opposite side.
It's so simple; you have the defense loaded up on one side (the weak side in this case), it means you have more blockers on the other side.

When the QB decides to stay with the bootleg, it is up to him to deal with the blitzers. He's the one who made the final decision; he's the one that needs to execute the play. It is his own choosing; nobody forced him to do it, not the HC, not the OC, not the defense.

2012Champs
10-03-2013, 05:40 PM
With Newton engaged with the DE (he may as well have whiffed) and the run fake going the opposite direction ..... there isn't anyone to pick up the blitzer , Schaub has to make him miss or eat the sack.
With Schaub's cement shoes I think they are going to have to be much more creative with their protections.

Something I saw the Patriots do on a play action roll out last week was have the center pull & the rest of the OL block down the line as if it were a trap play but the center rolls with the QB picking up any defensive interference .... Brady had all freakin day to survey the field. Very well designed play by Belecheat ....

He should have t eaten the sack no doubt

ObsiWan
10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
no he doesnt. not only does he not throw as much deep balls as those guys he doesnt complete them either.
Show us the stats (with a link please) that prove your assertion. Otherwise, you're making stuff up.

mussop
10-03-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm no Schaub fan. Never have been. But he's not this teams biggest problem. Hell he really doesn't even play QB. Kubiak does. Schaub is just a puppet. He's expected to go out there and be a robot.

Kubiaks rediculous tight reigns on the offense and stupid philosophy of ignoring the yard marker and "getting the ball to the playmakers and let the make plays" is what will prevent this team from ever reaching its potential.

Name another QB in the NFL that is as limited in what he's allowed to do at the LOS. It's ignorant to think this philosophy will work on the NFL level.
This is the easiest offense in the NFL to gameplan against. Just prevent big plays down field give us underneath stuff. Send pressure on third down and spy the check down.

This philosophy sucks!! Doesn't matter who the QB is as long as he has to play with his hands tied. Well at least if we played Keenam he would have a chance to make a play or two with his feet.

Porky
10-03-2013, 06:53 PM
So tell me how you get the plays without passes? Certainly since everyone thinks we never attempt any we would have to attempt some number above the number of plays right?

If a pass is 15 yards and the YAC is 10, that counts as a 25 yard play. That's how. :kitten:

Corrosion
10-03-2013, 07:09 PM
He should have eaten the sack no doubt

/End Thread. :swatter:

2012Champs
10-03-2013, 07:29 PM
If a pass is 15 yards and the YAC is 10, that counts as a 25 yard play. That's how. :kitten:

Matt was 11th in air yards last year but this talk is slightly overrated anyhow

Peyton is behind Schaub this year

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/804/on-matt-schaub-and-throwing-deep

Look where Brady and Rodgers dominant the attempts

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/73694/pass-atlas-a-map-of-where-nfl-quarterbacks-throw-the-ball

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 08:26 PM
It's sad that Gary cant trust Schaub to make the right decision on something as simple as what you've laid out in this post. Perhaps this is the reason Gary plays things conservatively 99% of the time. If so it's past time to look for a new QB. We can expect Gary to call a run play next time in this situation and that is what's wrong with this whole situation.

No, he doesn't know what he's watching. IMHO

I think there is a reason we rarely ran a 2 minute offense & the "sugar huddle" is a last resort. I'd like to think the problem is Matt, but he seems to thrive when he's in a rhythm.

When this team is pressing, we make mistakes. Whether it's a slew of RBs fumbling the ball, or errant passes, or batted balls, or a bunch of penalties. This offenses history when they're trying to push the tempo isn't all that great.

This year, we've done it a lot & it's been more successful than I would have guessed, but I worry when we play to fast.

I have no problem when we're managing our pace & playing ball control-eat the clock small ball. As long as we continue to push the score, increase our lead. I'm ok with field goals, depending on the opponent. If it's a "known" defense with a crappy offense. No biggie. If it's a crappy defense (New England) with a high powered offense.... TDs are a premium. If we get turnovers & a short field (30 yards or less) settling for a field goal undermines your desire to win (imo).

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 08:35 PM

We had to do something similar last year. We didn't use a center, but the play side HB would come to put a wham block on the backside pursuant. Walter would do it often, but I've seen OD do it as well.

So far this year, looks like we're trying to push the front side as teams are really playing the cutback pretty honest. They're leaving all kinds of holes on the front side & Tate & Foster are taking advantage of it. I think that's also a reason Tate is looking better than Foster. Tate's quicker & likes to get the edge & turn the corner. Where Foster likes to read his blocks & shoot the gaps.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 08:50 PM
When the QB decides to stay with the bootleg, it is up to him to deal with the blitzers. He's the one who made the final decision; he's the one that needs to execute the play. It is his own choosing; nobody forced him to do it, not the HC, not the OC, not the defense.

Agreed.

I think what got him, was that he was expecting that safety to stay on the receiver, he expected movement from him to adjust to Andre's motion.

He comes to the LoS & the defense he sees suggests man. Chancellor was about 7 or 8 yards off the LoS over the TE in the slot. When Andre motions inside the slot, Schaub looking out the corner of his eye expects the safety to come to the LoS to get a hand on Andre, or prevent OD from crossing inside & providing a natural pick for Andre.

So I think (no way to really tell & Matt will never say) Matt saw the safety start his motion to the LoS & then lost track of him. He never saw Chancellor open up towards the line, completely turning his back on Andre. If Schaub saw that, he would have recognized the blitz... no way he couldn't. Then he would have checked to the run.

Watching that play, you can't see the run lanes open suggesting we would have picked up the 4 yards. The TE approaches the MIKE like he's going to block, then breaks off into a route at the last minute. But if Matt would have signaled run, that would have been a good block & a big seam.

After reading your WCO instruction manual, I think I have a better understanding of the system. The audibles. It's all in the snap count. One word means the play called in the huddle, another means the back up play. So this, "Can't audible once the motion is called." is Kubiak falling on the sword. That motion is supposed to help Matt make the call. He just mis-read it.

DocBar
10-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Agreed.

I think what got him, was that he was expecting that safety to stay on the receiver, he expected movement from him to adjust to Andre's motion.

He comes to the LoS & the defense he sees suggests man. Chancellor was about 7 or 8 yards off the LoS over the TE in the slot. When Andre motions inside the slot, Schaub looking out the corner of his eye expects the safety to come to the LoS to get a hand on Andre, or prevent OD from crossing inside & providing a natural pick for Andre.

So I think (no way to really tell & Matt will never say) Matt saw the safety start his motion to the LoS & then lost track of him. He never saw Chancellor open up towards the line, completely turning his back on Andre. If Schaub saw that, he would have recognized the blitz... no way he couldn't. Then he would have checked to the run.

Watching that play, you can't see the run lanes open suggesting we would have picked up the 4 yards. The TE approaches the MIKE like he's going to block, then breaks off into a route at the last minute. But if Matt would have signaled run, that would have been a good block & a big seam.

After reading your WCO instruction manual, I think I have a better understanding of the system. The audibles. It's all in the snap count. One word means the play called in the huddle, another means the back up play. So this, "Can't audible once the motion is called." is Kubiak falling on the sword. That motion is supposed to help Matt make the call. He just mis-read it.The point of putting a man in motion is to see what the defense does. If you can't audible after seeing what the defense does, why bother?

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 11:56 PM
The point of putting a man in motion is to see what the defense does. If you can't audible after seeing what the defense does, why bother?

You're agreeing with me right?

What you're saying is pretty much what I said.

DocBar
10-04-2013, 12:02 AM
You're agreeing with me right?

What you're saying is pretty much what I said.Absolutely. Believe it or else. LOL:kitten:

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Not a hater, but yes Schaub was still making mistakes and I pointed then out at that time.

Yes I want my QB to point out where the blitz is coming from. It's something I would suspect you have a problem with. (Leadership.)

You do realize that the Seahawks are playing without 3 of their starting OL (LT Okung/C Unger/ RT Giacanbi SP???) The Broncos are without 2 of their starting OL (LT Clady/C Walton) and they seem to be able to make due. Why, could it be Schaub cant avoid the rush as well as Manning/Wilson due to his foot?

As far as the Texans DR's go I dont trust them at all. They are paid by the Texans. Look at the highly respected Dr.Andrews who's paid by the Redskins and how he allowed RG3's career to be screwed up. Team Dr's = conflict of interest. Fans may not see this but players are fungible assets if they aren't playing owners aren't getting a return on the $$$$ that they have invested in said player. It's the team Dr.'s job to get them playing as soon as possible. Sometimes to the detriment of the players career. Sometimes to the detriment of a player having a long, healthy, fruitful life after football.

I personally would like to thank C-N-D for helping me with some of my health issues. He has helped many on this MB with various health issues. I/we are lucky to have somebody as knowlegeable and well connected as C-N-D on this MB. Not that you would have a clue about this, or the fact that while we may disagree on the way the Texans are run, we have respect and love for each other thru good times and bad. A good number of us have actually met each other and despite our differences look forward to seeing each other again.

As far as C-N-D calling Texans injuries, He's been right about 99% of the time. From Boselli/DDW/Spencer/Reed/Schaub etc.... he's been right almost every time. The Texans Dr,s not so much. The injury that bothers me the most is Reed. He had a torn labrum on one hip and the Dr's didn't run the right test (MRI vs MRA to determine if he had torn the labrum in the other hip, which they should've known to do since it was possible/probable that the good hip could've been damaged due to Reed compensating for his bad hip.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just thought I would try to help a newbie realize that there's more to life than the Texans. There's respect and friendship on this MB. Which is why I spend most of my internet time on this MB.

Of course he was making mistakes. All QB's make mistakes. Are you saying you will not be happy with Schaub until he plays mistake free? Setting the bar kind of high aren't you?

Wilson was getting swarmed because of the missing OL players. And he failed to break 125 yards in the air. Only his feet in the 4th quarter saved him. Are you saying you want that kind of performance every week from your QB? And how much risk does that put your franchise QB at every week? It's ridiculous to believe any QB could hold up under that kind of punishment.

If you have watched any Broncos games Manning is not running for his life like Schaub is. There is no comparison there. The Broncos OL (Even missing Clady) is still heads and shoulders above the Texans OL.

In regards to disrespecting anyone. That is a farse. I never disrespected anyone. I simply asked the questions, which I notice you failed to answer. You just deflected and tried to say what his percentage of being right was, which you have no proof of that either. It's what you choose to believe.

I am not saying he is a quack, or even wrong. I asked you specific questions that in no way besmirched him. Stop deflecting and answer the questions. And I do not want to hear more conspiracy theories on how the medical staff have their own agenda and therefore purposely lie about the health of players. That is lunacy.

Are we still talking about Reed? Holy crap it's over. He is on the team, he is in the lineup, and if it all pans out he will be ready for the playoffs, which is why the Texans signed him.

Oh gee thanks professor for trying to teach me (A Newbie) all about this thing called life. I sure appreciate it. Be sure not to fall while getting down off your high horse. Don't trip over your join date.

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 05:05 AM

Doc & I had a discussion today about the conflict of interest between Dr.s and professional athletes .... Specifically about RG3 & Dr,Andrews.

My opinion as a nobody ?! RG3 shouldn't have been anywhere near the playing/practice field until very recently.

If Doc Sean cares to give his statement , I'll leave that to him .... but I aint crazy! just little bit drunk!!

Dr Andrews was Ok with him being on the field .... several weeks prior. Anyone watched RG3 in the recent weeks ?! He's looked like some scrub from a semi-pro league .....

Part of my conversation with Doc Sean today was the information we are given Vs the truth of the matter ..... We all know Gary doesn't give much information .... and he gives less when it comes to injuries.
Matt Schaub has a sprained foot .... turns into a significant injury.
Dominick Davis ..... CND was right about. Dude aint played another down in the league.
Tony Boselli .... Doc nailed that one too.

Mailed every one of #80's injuries too ....

Now .... Ed Reed has an "abdominal" injury. You wanna bet me a cool million its related to his hip- problems ..... or is Doc just some crazy dude with two plus decades of experience as a trauma surgeon ?!

No way man , Doc Sean don't know his ass from a hole in the ground ..... :nolisten:

(Doc you know this is sarcasm!!)

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 05:21 AM
Of course he was making mistakes. All QB's make mistakes. Are you saying you will not be happy with Schaub until he plays mistake free? Setting the bar kind of high aren't you?

Wilson was getting swarmed because of the missing OL players. And he failed to break 125 yards in the air. Only his feet in the 4th quarter saved him. Are you saying you want that kind of performance every week from your QB? And how much risk does that put your franchise QB at every week? It's ridiculous to believe any QB could hold up under that kind of punishment.

How many negative , game changing /breaking plays did Wilson make Vs Schaub ?!

Wilson 3 positive plays including a 4th down scramble that leads to a TD.

Schaub .... a pick six resulting in his giving opposing teams 31points from turnovers since the beginning of the season & the SeaDucks tying the score.

Just take the *** **** sack you frickin Moran!!!

Who's playin Qb for this team ....

http://mediamikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/darin-brooks-bms.jpg

Or this idiot ....

http://stylegods.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/romanski-bms-i2.jpg

Hey float gucker , just take the damn sack!!!

Buck Fush.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 01:15 PM
How many negative , game changing /breaking plays did Wilson make Vs Schaub ?!

Wilson 3 positive plays including a 4th down scramble that leads to a TD.

Schaub .... a pick six resulting in his giving opposing teams 31points from turnovers since the beginning of the season & the SeaDucks tying the score.

Just take the *** **** sack you frickin Moran!!!

Who's playin Qb for this team ....

http://mediamikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/darin-brooks-bms.jpg

Or this idiot ....

http://stylegods.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/romanski-bms-i2.jpg

Hey float gucker , just take the damn sack!!!

Buck Fush.

Yea that's cute and all, but are you really giving all the credit to Wilson for what happened? There is no possible way that the D fell apart on that drive right? Because that would mean you would have to put some blame on someone other than Schaub right? It was just how damn good Wilson is, is that it? You are hilarious. I am sure that it was Schaub's fault that Tate fumbled, caused Daniels to allow a smaller man push him down and take the ball away from him, or that the D let Wilson run wild too right, or made Jackson commit a 15 yard personal foul to put the Hawks in FG range right?

You can keep coming up with all the anecdotal examples you want. It does not change the fact that Schaub did not lose the game. Trying to place the blame the loss on one guy is juvenile. It's easy to sit back in your lazy chair with a beer in your hands and say "Just take the damn sack" or "Just throw it away" but I imagine it is a bit harder when you are on the field. I could be wrong though.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Take a look at this article (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/49ers-preview-with-danny-tuccitto-texans-first-quarter-of-season-review). It has some good info on the upcoming match up between the Texans and the 49ers, but more importantly some stuff on Schaub and the offensive line problems. Below is a piece of the article I thought was interesting. Read the whole article (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/49ers-preview-with-danny-tuccitto-texans-first-quarter-of-season-review).

Offense. The disconnect between yards, points and offensive efficiency come from inconsistency, particularly with 3rd down conversions. A lot of the inconsistency has come from an offensive line that hasnít been able to be a steady 5, and injuries to that group.

If you look at Pro Football Focusí game chart ratings (premium signup required, worth the money), you know what the one big-fat-glaring-neon-sign negative is?

Pass blocking. The Houston Texans have the lowest pass blocking rating in the NFL, according to their premium ratings, at -27.2.

To put that 32nd in the NFL rating into context, here are the final ratings for the last couple of years according to their numbers:

2013 to date: 32nd
2012: 11th (still a positive number)
2011: 7th
2010 5th
2009: 19th (still a positive number)
2008: 21st (a negative number)

So, if your option at quarterback is a guy who doesnít have mobility as one of his assets, you better be able to fix your pass protection pronto. Does it get fixed with Duane Brown returning? With just more time with this group playing together? Reshuffling who is playing where at the expense of continuity?

The Texans evidently saw offensive line as an issue, drafting a few, but the new guys got hurt before the season started.

Lost in the pick-6 horror is that Matt Schaub wasnít just taking sacks and self-sacks with pressures, but he was getting a lot of QB hurries and hits after the throw.

If you like looking at trains wrecking into car crashes, I want you to look at the hit that Matt Schaub took at the end of the half. It is the play where Michael Bennett was taken off the field. At the time, I wondered how Schaub would play in the second half.

The book on Schaub is to hit him as much as possible, before/after the throw, even if your team risks roughness penalties. Whatever your view on Schaub, if he can function at all, he stays in games but isnít always as effective after taking a lot of hits. Obviously, itís hard to stay in rhythm if you keep getting destroyed after you throw.

Looking at the past, Schaub stayed in the entire game where he broke his foot. He left a Jacksonville game with a non-throwing shoulder that was popped back in, and finished the game. The Denver game last year is one of the few where he took a ton of hits but still played well throughout.

In the Seattle game, he got hit in the head twice in the second half of the game. One of the hits took his helmet off. It could have been a game changer had either of those plays resulted in a penalty, but we do not get to entertain alternative histories.

Fans looking for various reasons for the start can look at all sorts of play calling or personnel factors. The bottom line is that unless the offensive line plays better, consistent offensive play is going to be difficult to achieve.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 02:51 PM
In the Seattle game, he got hit in the head twice in the second half of the game. One of the hits took his helmet off. It could have been a game changer had either of those plays resulted in a penalty, but we do not get to entertain alternative histories.

Speaking of which... Has any fines been laid out for these hits?

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Speaking of which... Has any fines been laid out for these hits?

Good question. I have not heard of any yet, but because they were not called, does that mean they are not reviewed? Your guess is as good as mine, but I believe all of the fines that are going to be given already have been, so it looks as if because they were not called, they were not reviewed.

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 03:33 PM
You can keep coming up with all the anecdotal examples you want. It does not change the fact that Schaub did not lose the game. Trying to place the blame the loss on one guy is juvenile. It's easy to sit back in your lazy chair with a beer in your hands and say "Just take the damn sack" or "Just throw it away" but I imagine it is a bit harder when you are on the field. I could be wrong though.

Im not placing the blame for "this loss" on Schaub alone , its easy to see there were a lot of other factors - Tates Fumble , Cushing going out and the defense being less effective .....

What Im talking about is much more than one game - Its a trend in the last 7 games. Ten INT's over that period of time with four of those being returned for scores.

Ive been a strong supporter of Schaub over the years here. But watching his performance over the last ~10 games , its hard to continue that support.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Ive been a strong supporter of Schaub over the years here. But watching his performance over the last ~10 games , its hard to continue that support.

Mark my words. This Sunday will begin the rebirth of Matt Schaub. He's going to change the perception of him. They'll be calling him elite before the play offs start.

No lie.

Okay, maybe I don't believe this fully, but I'm working on it. I'll be 90% in by game time (thank God for a late start)

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Im not placing the blame for "this loss" on Schaub alone , its easy to see there were a lot of other factors - Tates Fumble , Cushing going out and the defense being less effective .....

What Im talking about is much more than one game - Its a trend in the last 7 games. Ten INT's over that period of time with four of those being returned for scores.

Well, then I must be misreading what you are posting because it sure looks to me like you are placing all of the blame for the Hawks loss on Schaub.

I agree it has been a long term problem, but the problem is with the O Line, not with Schaub. Ever since the Texans lost Brisiel and Winston, this has been the problem. And we all thought Winston sucked at pass protection. I sure wish we had both of them back right now.

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Mark my words. This Sunday will begin the rebirth of Matt Schaub. He's going to change the perception of him. They'll be calling him elite before the play offs start.

No lie.

Okay, maybe I don't believe this fully, but I'm working on it. I'll be 90% in by game time (thank God for a late start)

I sure hope you are right ..... I hate this negative feeling I have towards our QB right now.

Well, then I must be misreading what you are posting because it sure looks to me like you are placing all of the blame for the Hawks loss on Schaub.

I agree it has been a long term problem, but the problem is with the O Line, not with Schaub. Ever since the Texans lost Brisiel and Winston, this has been the problem. And we all thought Winston sucked at pass protection. I sure wish we had both of them back right now.

You aernt misreading - you are taking it out of context , out of proportion .... Schaub wasn't the only guy to make a mistake in that game (or any other) but he does shoulder a large chunk of the blame for their recent performances.

The QB is like the president , gets too much blame and too much credit.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 04:34 PM
I sure hope you are right ..... I hate this negative feeling I have towards our QB right now.

You aernt misreading - you are taking it out of context , out of proportion .... Schaub wasn't the only guy to make a mistake in that game (or any other) but he does shoulder a large chunk of the blame for their recent performances.

The QB is like the president , gets too much blame and too much credit.

HA! If only that were true. Post a link to a thread where Schaub got any credit, let alone all of the credit.

I am not going to argue with you about your recent posts, I will let readers decide if you were blaming Schaub exclusively, and now are back tracking. I don't believe I took you out of context as I read all of your post in their entirety. But anything is possible.

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 04:40 PM
HA! If only that were true. Post a link to a thread where Schaub got any credit, let alone all of the credit.

I am not going to argue with you about your recent posts, I will let readers decide if you were blaming Schaub exclusively, and now are back tracking. I don't believe I took you out of context as I read all of your post in their entirety. But anything is possible.

Im far from backtracking.

Schaub's performances have had a huge impact in the results of the past few games.

10 INT's in 7 games four of which are returned for TD's is flat out unacceptable. Its ultimately his decision to throw those balls .... and the ultimate responsibility for those decisions falls on him.

What I stop short of is saying "Its all his fault".

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 05:02 PM

Winston did suck in pass protection. Matt's bad streak started when Newton got hurt. He's never recovered.

ObsiWan
10-04-2013, 05:13 PM

No lie.Okay, maybe I don't believe this fully, but I'm working on it. I'll be 90% in od for a late start)

I've seen the results of your predictive abilities in the TexansTalk Pick 'Em game.
I am now officially worried.
:D

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Winston did suck in pass protection. Matt's bad streak started when Newton got hurt. He's never recovered.

I would agree with that. What I am trying to point out is, Schaub has not regressed. He is still the same immobile QB he has always been. Last season he may have shown problems from the foot injury late in the season, but the foot is not the problem this season. His pass protection is what has regressed.

Until that problem is resolved, I do not care who you put back there, they will fail. Yea Yates or Keenum will run around allot more, and yeah they will pick up some first downs, but ultimately you cannot run you QB around all year long running for his life. It disrupts the rest of the offense all for the sake of extending plays. I think the simple example, at least in Kubiak's eyes is. The Tortoise and the Hare. Slow and steady.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 06:38 PM
I've seen the results of your predictive abilities in the TexansTalk Pick 'Em game.
I am now officially worried.
:D

You had to bring that up??

Everybody else was letting me quietly drag the bottom.... you gotta say something.

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I would agree with that. What I am trying to point out is, Schaub has not regressed. He is still the same immobile QB he has always been. Last season he may have shown problems from the foot injury late in the season, but the foot is not the problem this season. His pass protection is what has regressed.

Until that problem is resolved, I do not care who you put back there, they will fail. Yea Yates or Keenum will run around allot more, and yeah they will pick up some first downs, but ultimately you cannot run you QB around all year long running for his life. It disrupts the rest of the offense all for the sake of extending plays. I think the simple example, at least in Kubiak's eyes is. The Tortoise and the Hare. Slow and steady.

We said the same thing about HHWNBM I don't know how many times .... then after he left , we realized many of those sacks and protection breakdowns were his fault.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 07:54 PM
We said the same thing about HHWNBM I don't know how many times .... then after he left , we realized many of those sacks and protection breakdowns were his fault.

Uh..... y'all said the same thing about HHWNWBM. I told y'all he was creating those sacks. I remember saying if you've changed out all five positions, some more than once.... it's probably not the OL.

That said, comparing Schaub to Carr is a bit premature, though we're getting closer to that. I mentioned in another thread the "most blitzed QB in the NFL" stat is telling. He's not beating the blitz & DCs feel the rewards of blitzing him are well worth the risk (6 points).

He's got to fix that. No one else can. Throwing 2 yards short of the sticks doesn't help his cause. It only makes it worse.

Pushing the score, converting 3rd downs.... those have got to become more important to Matt Schaub than they are now. Sure, he's not a duma55, he knows they're important. But when we're down by 2 scores in the 4th qtr, like the Chargers game, it's like Defcon5 for Matt. He needs that sense of urgency when we've just scored 14 points on the best defense in the NFL & they just fumbled the ball on their own 19 yard line.

He's got to believe a TD there would have knocked the wind out of the Seahawks, & kicking them when they're down is the most humane thing he could do (as opposed to the long agonizing effects of letting them back in the game & letting his team down).

Then if the Seahawks still have a little spunk in them, he's got to resolve to do it again, & again, & again until the clock reads 0:00

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Uh..... y'all said the same thing about HHWNWBM. I told y'all he was creating those sacks. I remember saying if you've changed out all five positions, some more than once.... it's probably not the OL.

That said, comparing Schaub to Carr is a bit premature, though we're getting closer to that. I mentioned in another thread the "most blitzed QB in the NFL" stat is telling. He's not beating the blitz & DCs feel the rewards of blitzing him are well worth the risk (6 points).

He's got to fix that. No one else can. Throwing 2 yards short of the sticks doesn't help his cause. It only makes it worse.

Pushing the score, converting 3rd downs.... those have got to become more important to Matt Schaub than they are now. Sure, he's not a duma55, he knows they're important. But when we're down by 2 scores in the 4th qtr, like the Chargers game, it's like Defcom5 for Matt. He needs that sense of urgency when we've just scored 14 points on the best defense in the NFL & they just fumbled the ball on their own 19 yard line.

He's got to believe a TD there would have knocked the wind out of the Seahawks, & kicking them when they're down is the most humane thing he could do (as opposed to the long agonizing effects of letting them back in the game & letting his team down).

Then if the Seahawks still have a little spunk in them, he's got to resolve to do it again, & again, & again until the clock reads 0:00

I'd rep you if I could .... One of your best posts.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Pushing the score, converting 3rd downs.... those have got to become more important to Matt Schaub than they are now. Sure, he's not a duma55, he knows they're important. But when we're down by 2 scores in the 4th qtr, like the Chargers game, it's like Defcom5 for Matt. He needs that sense of urgency when we've just scored 14 points on the best defense in the NFL & they just fumbled the ball on their own 19 yard line.

Do you really think he doesn't? Do you really think it is only h\up to him what happens? That if he has enough will power it will happen just the way he envisions it no matter what happens with the blocking up front, or people dropping passes? Do you honestly believe he thinks "man a FG here would be kewl"?? You can't be serious. Schaub, like any QB needs help for that to happen. He cannot do it on his own.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Do you really think he doesn't? Do you really think it is only h\up to him what happens? That if he has enough will power it will happen just the way he envisions it no matter what happens with the blocking up front, or people dropping passes? Do you honestly believe he thinks "man a FG here would be kewl"?? You can't be serious. Schaub, like any QB needs help for that to happen. He cannot do it on his own.

Why are you still asking this question? I've been saying exactly that for the last three days. Sure... it's a team game, someone's got to catch the ball, well, we've got one of the best in the game & we got Matt a shiny new toy. Sure, the OL has to do their job. But when they pay the guys on the other side of the ball from stopping you from doing what you want to do, you just have to be better than they are.

The examples I gave you in the other thread (or maybe this thread, I don't know) Matt did 90% of what he needed to do. He just needs to finish.

Remember when Antonio was always getting close, but never finishing? Well our defense got better when he started finishing, when he was setting career high sack counts year after year (2011 was a career year, 2012 was a career year)... well we need Matt to be better than he's ever been before. We need him to have a career year, to go where we want to go & do what we want to do.

We need him to finish those plays.

There was one, where he got out of the pocket, & threw what would have been a 3rd down conversion to Martin. That's not on him. maybe the ball could have been better thrown, but Martin had an opportunity to make a play..... that's all I'm asking Matt to do.

After the Lynch fumble, & Matt scrambled to his left & threw it out of bounds... no one had a chance to make a play but him & he didn't. He could have put the jump ball up for DeAndre, or if he'd have looked around he'd have seen Andre in the back of the end zone.

I'm not asking him to move mountains, I'm just asking for another 10%

Hopefully, that's what he's talking about when he says he's going to cut it lose. That he's going to give Andre an opportunity to beat that deep coverage. Or give DeAndre an opportunity to stab that dagger in Seattles heart.

That was a great catch Baldwin made to keep that drive alive...... yes, the only catch he made in the game. Had Matt been his QB he never would have thrown that ball, Baldwin never would have had the opportunity to make that catch.

Now... don't come back at me with that wounded duck he threw that Sherman took. Yes he gave Owen an opportunity to make a play, I like that. But he did so out of frustration. We don't make good decisions when we're frustrated.

76Texan
10-04-2013, 08:28 PM
The Texans do need to do a better job on protection (and that include the TE and the backs); however, the D has generated more pressure on opposing QBs (except Rivers).

Schaub didn't lose the last game by himself, that's for sure, but he didn't do enough to win the game. He didn't pull his weight; and that's the bottom line.

CloakNNNdagger
10-04-2013, 09:56 PM
The Texans do need to do a better job on protection (and that include the TE and the backs); however, the D has generated more pressure on opposing QBs (except Rivers).

Schaub didn't lose the last game by himself, that's for sure, but he didn't do enough to win the game. He didn't pull his weight; and that's the bottom line.

As more of the O is spread out to receive (TEs, RBs), Schaub has more receiving options, but doesn't/can't take advantage of it, since he can't seem to go through all the reads fast enough for the best choice, and seems to end up going straight to his favorite single target, throwing it away or eating it. If there are TEs/RBs held back to pass block, then he has less receiving targets, and he seemingly has increased tunnel vision on who he targets anyway.

Lucky
10-04-2013, 10:04 PM
... well we need Matt to be better than he's ever been before. We need him to have a career year, to go where we want to go & do what we want to do.

We need him to finish those plays.
That's it. He has to do his job. The winning QBs in this league get the job done without excuses. No QB has a perfect team behind him. Schaub has to make this offense work as is. And frankly, he has more to work with than other QBs who are getting it done (Brady, Rivers, and Luck, for example).

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 10:18 PM
That's it. He has to do his job. The winning QBs in this league get the job done without excuses. No QB has a perfect team behind him. Schaub has to make this offense work as is. And frankly, he has more to work with than other QBs who are getting it done (Brady, Rivers, and Luck, for example).

Yeah , he has a hell of an offense around him , Foster & Tate. OD and Graham 80 and Hopkins.

No QB in the league has that much talent around him .... at least in my opinion.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah , he has a hell of an offense around him , Foster & Tate. OD and Graham 80 and Hopkins.

No QB in the league has that much talent around him .... at least in my opinion.

& he's got a bad as5 defense. Shouldn't have to score 30 points a week to win.

Corrosion
10-05-2013, 08:28 AM
& he's got a bad as5 defense. Shouldn't have to score 30 points a week to win.

When you put that into perspective - all the weapons around him and a very strong defense .... Its on Schaub. No more excuses.

CloakNNNdagger
10-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Despite all the big O stat numbers, while watching Schaub and the Texans, have you ever gotten the feeling that we're indeed always going somewhere, but still so often never quite seem to get there? Well, Pro-Football-Reference.com (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/) gives us a hint to why we may be getting that feeling. The Texans' percentage of drives leading to a score is a very unimpressive 28.8% (18th in NFL).

Compare that to:

1 Denver Broncos 52.0%
2 San Diego Chargers 46.5%
3 Indianapolis Colts 43.9%
4 Green Bay Packers 41.7%
5 New Orleans Saints 41.7%
6 Atlanta Falcons 40.5%
7 Seattle Seahawks 38.8%

beerlover
10-05-2013, 10:43 AM
great stat doc, what is their red zone efficiency? Sure seems as field compresses the inability to extend plays from QB position costs points directly, number of hurries, sacks, bad throws, closed windows, ball security, list goes on & on :choke:

DX-TEX
10-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Here is a scary hypothetical for everyone:

What would you do if Schaub throws a game killing Pick 6 this week?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would Kiffen him and leave him in San Fran for his own safety.

ObsiWan
10-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Despite all the big O stat numbers, while watching Schaub and the Texans, have you ever gotten the feeling that we're indeed always going somewhere, but still so often never quite seem to get there? Well, Pro-Football-Reference.com (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/) gives us a hint to why we may be getting that feeling. The Texans' percentage of drives leading to a score is a very unimpressive 28.8% (18th in NFL).

Compare that to:

1 Denver Broncos 52.0%
6 Atlanta Falcons 40.5%
7 Seattle Seahawks 38.8%

It's data that supports the crowd that's been telling us (for years it seems) that Schaub is good-to-very good between the twenties but not good in converting those fancy yardage and completion stats into points.

Hard to argue with the data.
Query: is this just for this season or over his career with the Texans?

Is it possible to have an offense that bends but doesn't break (into the endzone)?

ObsiWan
10-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Watch and cheer them on next week.
:texflag:

The real question is what will Kubiak do?

Houston_Fanatic
10-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Saw this banner at an HEB this past week and couldn't resist a little editing....

http://i.imgur.com/nflS10F.jpg

:deadhorse

mussop
10-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Yes Schaub is not the answer. I think everyone finally agrees with that. Well anyone with any sense. Still won't matter. Put whoever you want in. In the long run this system is going to hold back whoever is in there. When you are coached to be as conservative possible and your coach doesn't allow you to make play's or make adjustments to counter the defense eventually were going to end up right back here where we are with Schaub.

No matter whos in there Teams will just continue to give us the underneath stuff allowing us to rack up yards and on 2nd and 3rd and long apply pressure and key in on the check-down. Our only chance for success with this offense is if we have a very mobile QB that can create plays on his own when things breakdown.

burro
10-05-2013, 05:11 PM

If he does, I would reevaluate who our best option at QB is and likely come to the depressing conclusion that, for this season at least, it's still Matt Schaub.

Fortunately, I doubt it happens. Even if it's a losing effort, Schaub will be laser focused on not throwing picks to the extent that it probably leads to more sacks and throw aways than we'd like to see. Regardless, nobody should complain about "the fetal position" after what happened last week when he forced a pass under pressure.

CloakNNNdagger
10-05-2013, 05:15 PM
great stat doc, what is their red zone efficiency? Sure seems as field compresses the inability to extend plays from QB position costs points directly, number of hurries, sacks, bad throws, closed windows, ball security, list goes on & on :choke:

[doesn't break it down to FG vs TD]

2012---------54.69%
-----home---------------50.00%
-----away----------------60.71%
last 3 games-------------40.00%

2013---------66.67%
------home--------------71.43%
------away---------------60.00%

BUT

last 3 games------55.56%
(last game---------33.33%)

Rush Play %-----37.75%
Pass Play %------62.25%
Completion %----65.54%
3D Conv %-------35.59%

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team/houston-texans

Corrosion
10-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes Schaub is not the answer. I think everyone finally agrees with that. Well anyone with any sense. Still won't matter. Put whoever you want in. In the long run this system is going to hold back whoever is in there. When you are coached to be as conservative possible and your coach doesn't allow you to make play's or make adjustments to counter the defense eventually were going to end up right back here where we are with Schaub.

No matter whos in there Teams will just continue to give us the underneath stuff allowing us to rack up yards and on 2nd and 3rd and long apply pressure and key in on the check-down. Our only chance for success with this offense is if we have a very mobile QB that can create plays on his own when things breakdown.

You make a lot of assumptions here .... Assuming that Kubiak is holding back Schaub (or another QB) when it really could be the other way around , and when you consider Schaub's inadequacies - arm strength , lack of mobility and recent poor decision making .... can you blame the coach for a conservative plan when all signs point to the QB not being capable of more ?!

CloakNNNdagger
10-05-2013, 05:21 PM
You make a lot of assumptions here .... Assuming that Kubiak is holding back Schaub (or another QB) when it really could be the other way around , and when you consider Schaub's inadequacies - arm strength , lack of mobility and recent poor decision making .... can you blame the coach for a conservative plan when all signs point to the QB not being capable of more ?!

No you couldn't. Kubiak knows what he has in Schaub. He will be too much of a gentlemen to put a name to it or let you know..........until he is ready to replace Schaub on the field. His choice is getting less difficult with each game.

mussop
10-05-2013, 06:28 PM

I'm not making any assumptions. Have you been under a rock since Kubiak got here? It's well documented how much Kubiak shackles Schaub. It's been that way since the beginning. If he was only doing it to cover up Schaubs inabilities then why the hell would he stick with him this long?

bOODRO87
10-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Compare that to:

1 Denver Broncos 52.0%
6 Atlanta Falcons 40.5%
7 Seattle Seahawks 38.8%

Great stat, Doc. Very telling. Our current 3rd down conversion rate is 21/59. I heard a stat on the radio about how little the Broncos even reach a third down. I wish I could find it.

P.S., How do I send someone a rep?

Edit: I found the Broncos stat from the Philly game.

THIRD DOWNS: Teams always talk about getting off the field on third down, but the Eagles couldn’t even put the Broncos in third-down situations to begin with.

Manning drove Denver on a trio of touchdown drives in the third quarter covering 80, 80 and 65 yards, and not once did the Broncos face a third down in any of them.

Denver collected 35 first downs overall and only five of them were on third-down conversions.

gafftop
10-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Watching Extra Points and they keep showing THE PLAY.
Look at it again and tell me this guy is going to lead us to the SB.
He shows no idea that he understands the QB position. This is not the first time he has done this. He assumes his receiver is going to be over and tries to make a quick throw to deceive defense. Look to make sure open first. It is not like we are throwing to a speedster that can break it for a TD. We are throwing to 81 that will be lucky to run 10 yards if he is wide open. I don't think that type of play is worth it unless you can make a big play every once in a while.

I think Kubiak needs to handle Matt like a rookie and tell him the obvious like before the play, " Matt if it isn't open eat the ball so the clock continues to run."
After the game Matt said he should have thrown it at his feet.

ObsiWan
10-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Watching Extra Points and they keep showing THE PLAY.
He shows no idea that he understands the QB position. This is not the first time he has done this. He assumes his receiver is going to be over and tries to make a quick throw to deceive defense. Look to make sure open first. It is not like we are throwing to a speedster that can break it for a TD. We are throwing to 81 that will be lucky to run 10 yards if he is wide open. I don't think that type of play is worth it unless you can make a big play every once in a while.

I think Kubiak needs to handle Matt like a rookie and tell him the obvious like before the play, " Matt if it isn't open eat the ball so the clock continues to run."
After the game Matt said he should have thrown it at his feet.
After watching the play over and over myself, there's one thing that's been glossed over: Watch OD. He throws up both hands in the classic "I'm open" pose. He basically tells Schaub he's open then proceeds to let the DB run up his back and take the ball. Look at the angle. I wonder if Schaub could even see the DB behind OD with the oncoming blitzer in his face.

I also wonder if that shouldn't have been PI since the DB ran thru OD while the ball was in the air to make the pick.

Still, if there was any doubt, he shouldn't have thrown it.

gafftop
10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
After watching the play over and over myself, there's one thing that's been glossed over: Watch OD. He throws up both hands in the classic "I'm open" pose. He basically tells Schaub he's open then proceeds to let the DB run up his back and take the ball. Look at the angle. I wonder if Schaub could even see the DB behind OD with the oncoming blitzer in his face.

I also wonder if that shouldn't have been PI since the DB ran thru OD while the ball was in the air to make the pick.

Just got finished throwing up again after watching play. Is there any QB even close to MS is lack of physical ability and pocket presence. He is in full retreat and awkwardly tries to throw the ball. Not only was it a weak throw it was not accurate. Throw was wrong on EVERY level. Can someone post full play so every one can see.

thunderkyss
10-05-2013, 09:45 PM

I'm going to go out tomorrow & buy a puppy. That way if Schaub throws a pick 6 (& I really don't think he has any influence over whether it's returned for 6 or not, that's just bad luck) I'm going to kick the sht out of that puppy.

CloakNNNdagger
10-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm going to go out tomorrow & buy a puppy. That way if Schaub throws a pick 6 (& I really don't think he has any influence over whether it's returned for 6 or not, that's just bad luck) I'm going to kick the sht out of that puppy.

How bout if you just leave the puppy with the kids.........and go meet and kick the $H*T out of Schaub when he gets off the plane?:foottap:

thunderkyss
10-05-2013, 09:57 PM

It really don't matter to me. I don't care how conservative we are, as long as we win games. We won 12 of them bad boys last year & one January of this year (I was there, I saw it).

We don't challenge deep safeties over man coverage. So what, they're giving us the first down underneath. We don't throw into the endzone, so what we've got two badas5 RBs & one of them is especially tough around the goal line.

Yeah, we'll run into problems from time to time. We might lose a game or two.... it happens. But get our backs against the wall & we'll test them deep, we'll throw into the endzone... but we might make a mistake.

thunderkyss
10-05-2013, 10:01 PM

I sure would like for Andre to lead us to the Super Bowl. Or Arian. I don't have a problem with Matt doing it... but I'm not expecting him to. I just want him to play his part.

thunderkyss
10-05-2013, 10:04 PM

I mentioned it days ago. Nobody wants to talk about it. If there wasn't so much attention on Schaub... if he hadn't thrown 2 pick 6es already, they would be saying the receiver has to help his QB, can't sit & wait for the ball.

As far as PI, Sherman can play through Owen if he's going for the ball. If it was just a hit to try to stop OD from catching it, that would be pass interference.

thunderkyss
10-05-2013, 10:05 PM
How bout if you just leave the puppy with the kids.........and go meet and kick the $H*T out of Schaub when he gets off the plane?:foottap:

Uh... I only talk sht on the internet. I'm not "really" a bad ass.

CloakNNNdagger
10-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Uh... I only talk sht on the internet. I'm not "really" a bad ass.

I'd still like to see you kick the sht out of Schaub if he throws another INT.:pirate:

gafftop
10-05-2013, 11:27 PM
I sure would like for Andre to lead us to the Super Bowl. Or Arian. I don't have a problem with Matt doing it... but I'm not expecting him to. I just want him to play his part.

I should have said be the QB of a team that makes it to the SB. 2011 Matt could but 2013 Matt is a shadow of 2011 Matt.

I will predict MS for some reason or another will not finish season as starting QB. Have they done a concussion study on him?

DocBar
10-06-2013, 01:25 AM
I should have said be the QB of a team that makes it to the SB. 2011 Matt could but 2013 Matt is a shadow of 2011 Matt.

I will predict MS for some reason or another will not finish season as starting QB. Have they done a concussion study on him? They need to do a gonad and heart study on him. He doesn't appear to have either.

Schaub just doesn't have the right stuff.

Trap_Star
10-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh hi...

nut
10-06-2013, 08:40 PM
The moderators or whoever took this off & added it to the all-encompassing choke-artist schaub thread last week. How long will it take this week?

edwardc5637
10-06-2013, 08:42 PM
He jumped the route on that one

htowntexans1985
10-06-2013, 08:43 PM
And The sky is blue and the sun is hot. Any other news?

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
We need somebody to spark our offense. I don't care who it is. Our defense isn't going to play well feeling like they have to pitch a shut out every game. Already down 14-0 in this one. I want to see somebody show some signs of life offensively.

HouTx11
10-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Agree on thread. Keep this one bumped.

CretorFrigg
10-06-2013, 09:21 PM
2nd interception. This is almost a joke. bench him.

HouTx11
10-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Another INT :kubepalm:

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:24 PM
It's time to make a quarterback change guys. I've been Schaub's biggest fan and I'm done watching the same rookie mistakes. He's making bad reads and weak throws even when he has good pass protection.

DocBar
10-06-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm done until Schaub is replaced. I refuse to watch or follow this crap anymore.

Tearstain
10-06-2013, 09:25 PM
He is stealing a wage at our club

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm done until Schaub is replaced. I refuse to watch or follow this crap anymore.
You were right last week. I tried to find it in my heart to give Matt Schaub one more game but watching this mess has me convinced he will never lead us to the Super Bowl. About to be 21-0 49ers thanks to his two INTs.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Nobody to blame but Schaub. Our offensive line is playing one hell of a game giving him plenty of time. Foster has has some wide-open holes but didn't break them. Our defense is now falling apart but kind of hard to play motivated when you know the offense isn't going to do jack with a quarterback who's a threat to throw a pick six at any time.

Schaub should have two pick six's in this game. That second one was bobbled by the cornerback but he still came down with it. He was thinking score too soon or else it would have been a pick six.

And for the life of me. Keshawn Martin is pathetic returning kicks. We let Trindon Holliday go for a guy who gets what, 5 or 6 yards a return? He did break one decent run earlier but that may have been the biggest of his pro career.

2slik4u
10-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Schaub is such a joke. Kubiak is showing why he is also a joke of he keeps this loser in the game. I have always supported what kubiak is doing here but his refusal to change QBs will be his undoing.

This fan base is starting to not only turn on schaub but also on kubiak for schaub related issues. If kubes is not willing to change then he needs to go as well. Funny thing is he will be hired somewhere very quickly as a HC and probably be successful.

They both suck. Our team sucks. I'm pissed off and am getting close to calling it a season.

Rey
10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Schaub is going to throw another pick.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:36 PM
We are getting a good team effort from our offensive line, running backs, receivers and tight ends. I see everybody doing their job on offense. Schaub's mistakes being the dfference. We should be leading 14-7 right now with the ball and not down 21-0.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Schaub is going to throw another pick.
Probably. I have no more confidence he can lead this team any further than a divisional round appearance. Is our franchise high going to be wild-card wins? That's assuming we can even make the playoffs this year. I'm not so sure we can with Schaub playing like he is.

AMartin56
10-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Why do we put anyone other than Daniels and Andre out into the pattern? You know Schaub is never going to target them. He is staring down Andre. And if I can see it from my couch I'm pretty sure the 49ers see it too.

MEGA SWATT
10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Agree. Sit schaub and fire kubes.

HoustonFrog
10-06-2013, 09:40 PM
How can you bench a RB after a fumble but not try something different to wake up a team after a QB fails continuously.

IDEXAN
10-06-2013, 09:40 PM
But would sitting Schaub basically mean throwing in the towel on the season ?

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
At this point, I'll be happy with that final wild card spot in the AFC and the 6th seed. Playing a road game in the wild card round. We can still win that final wild card spot even if we lose this game and drop to 2-3, but that's assuming we make a quarterback change. I'm not even worried about catching the Colts for first place in the AFC South. We're going to be two games back already.

I've seen enough of Schaub. I loved him for his now seven seasons with the Texans but we have too much talent on this team to be under-achieving like this. A better quarterback would change everything.

beerlover
10-06-2013, 09:43 PM

how much worse can it possibly get :pinned:

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Not at all bro. If we made a change now I would actually like our chances to win a wild card spot. If we don't make a change we may not even make the playoffs. Either way, how could it be any worse? Do you want another pick six week after week?

Premier
10-06-2013, 09:45 PM

playing him means that.. the guy is a loser..

eriadoc
Far be it for me, of all people, to put a damper on the Schaub bashing, but consider this one decision:

Keenum is not even active today. Not even as a just in case kind of thing. Schaub didn't make that decision.

MEGA SWATT

Actually, keeping Matt Schaub IN, would basically mean throwing in the towel on the season! You got it backwards, YO.

beerlover
10-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Far be it for me, of all people, to put a damper on the Schaub bashing, but consider this one decision:

Keenum is not even active today. Not even as a just in case kind of thing. Schaub didn't make that decision.

see thread two things to improve team :roast:

HoustonFrog
10-06-2013, 09:49 PM

Why not do it for a half down 21-0? Maybe it wakes him up. The point of a benching is to get someone's attention.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:50 PM
playing him means that.. the guy is a loser..
Schaub has been a good quarterback for a long time but his career is over. He should just retire instead of milking out another two, three or four more years in the NFL. He's just robbing the franchise at this point.

He's not as great as he used to be, doesn't make smart decisions anymore, his throwing arm looks a lot weaker after his foot injury, and his lack of mobility is frustrating to watch. It's time to make a change. This team needs somebody they can rally behind and believe in. A real captain and leader at the quarterback position. Matt Schaub is no longer that guy because of his age and physical limitations.

Kimmy
10-06-2013, 09:51 PM
It's in his head now ... much like "he who won't be mentioned" This season will be for draft picks, real quick.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I want to go back in time a few off-seasons ago when Peyton Manning had serious interest in playing for the Texans. Slap some sense into Bob McNair.

Yeah, he was coming off a serious neck injury but Schaub was coming off a serious foot injury. Both of them were unknowns at the time health wise, but don't you go with the future Hall of Famer and Super Bowl champion?

The Denver Broncos are the toast and talk of the NFL world 24-7 right now, and that could have been the Houston Texans receiving all of that glory and being in the spotlight.

bOODRO87
10-06-2013, 09:55 PM
This guy is going to make 29 million?

Porky
10-06-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure either of the guys on the bench are the answer, but I know the starter is not. I have no idea how he went from a competent to good QB with some questionable issues in the biggest games to a guy that makes me long for the good old days of David Carr, but it's happened.

At this point, we need a change for change sake. As I said, not sure if TJ can actually do anything but we need to see. When the patient is on the table and declared dead, what can it hurt to put the paddles on and shock the patient. Worst case, he's still dead. But maybe the jolt to the patient is just what is needed to bring him back from the dead.

What do we have to lose?

drs23
10-06-2013, 09:58 PM

No lie.

So how's that working TK?

Texian
10-06-2013, 10:01 PM
This is not a Schaub problem this is a Kubiak problem

HoustonFrog
10-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Here is why I don't like Kubiak. He is quoted by halftime reporter as saying he has bigger worries like his defense, special teams, etc despite Schaub putting them in the predicament. Ridiculous.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:04 PM
What a joke. Kubiak is sticking with Schaub in the second half and told Michelle at halftime that he has bigger concerns to worry about like the defense and offensive line. Umm, might want to fix the big problem first before the rest of the team is fired up to play like champions.

Offensive line has actually played good tonight with the exception of a few plays. It's getting to the point now where I almost want to see Schaub throw a third or fourth interception tonight. When will Kubiak make a change?

Our defense just forced a punt to start the second half. But yeah, I think it's a real problem moving forward. Kubiak is hiding the real problem and failing to fix it.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Here is why I don't like Kubiak. He is quoted by halftime reporter as saying he has bigger worries like his defense, special teams, etc despite Schaub putting them in the predicament. Ridiculous.
Exactly right. Our offensive line and defense are playing like warriors tonight. I see total effort out of them. It's Schaub that is the problem. Take away his two interceptions, including the pick six, and we are either tied or only down one score right now. Not 21-0. Look at that, Schaub has all day to throw and just hit Hopkins for an easy pass down field. Any pro quarterback makes that play. Even Tim Tebow would look good in our offense, but sadly, Schaub has not.

bckey
10-06-2013, 10:07 PM

I heard her say that and it made me mad. Kubiak just doesn't get it.

gafftop
10-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Matt is just not accurate any longer on longer throws. I think that is why he is always dumping off. Kubiak is the problem

darnbni99a
Schaub has been a good quarterback for a long time but his career is over. He should just retire instead of milking out another two, three or four more years in the NFL. He's just robbing the franchise at this point.

He's not as great as he used to be, doesn't make smart decisions anymore, his throwing arm looks a lot weaker after his foot injury, and his lack of mobility is frustrating to watch. It's time to make a change. This team needs somebody they can rally behind and believe in. A reap captain and leader at the quarterback position. Matt Schaub is no longer that guy because of his age and physical limitations.

i concur 100% :bravo:

Bulls on Parade
Andre should have had that Touchdown grab. Everything is going wrong for Schaub. He threw a decent pass there. Not his fault, but bottom line is the offensive line is playing a great game. He has all day to throw.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Matt is just not accurate any longer on longer throws. I think that is why he is always dumping off. Kubiak is the problem
We have all the pieces of a Super Bowl winning team. The Houston Texans, talent wise, are every bit as good as say the 5-0 Denver Broncos. The main problem is quarterback play. It's just frustrating to watch because this team is talented and fun to watch otherwise.

Hervoyel
10-06-2013, 10:31 PM
We have all the pieces of a Super Bowl winning team. The Houston Texans, talent wise, are every bit as good as say the 5-0 Denver Broncos. The main problem is quarterback play. It's just frustrating to watch because this team is talented and fun to watch otherwise.

There's more to it than that though I agree that QB play is a huge part of it.

I think one of the biggest problems is that our offensive system is something of a dinosaur. We've all heard it said that the Texans work hard to score and it's true. We grind our way down the field praying that nothing goes wrong along the way. Running backs slip through narrow creases, receivers usually catch the ball with a defender right alongside them and too often in bizarre locations. They scoop it up off the ground or go up high and get drilled. Our QB seems to constantly be under pressure and when it isn't there he still acts like it is. This is our system as much as it is our personnel.

That's what I think. I'm probably wrong but it feels like everyone in the NFL knows exactly what we're about to do and how to stop it. Easy touchdowns aren't a feature of this offense and we don't see them very often.

powda
10-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Flush your rainbow.

TOLD

YOU

SO.

drs23
10-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I heard her say that and it made me mad. Kubiak just doesn't get it.

Oh, I think he gets it but he's got that 'fall on the sword fetish' thing going.

Is it time to panic yet? Will we be drafting higher than expected and possibly be in the mix for a franchise QB?

Don't wake me up, I'm liking this dream...

Premier
10-06-2013, 10:36 PM
fed up..

BetaV1
10-06-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm probably the biggest Schaub apologist out there, but it's time for him to take a seat.

TexansFight
10-06-2013, 10:45 PM
You have got to be ****ing kidding me. 3 INTs. Schaub is killing us. TJ Yates can't do worse

Houston_Fanatic
10-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Wow, mods are busy tonight.

They deleted my thread suggesting we lose out so we can get the #1 overall pick (have to loose to Jacksonville twice) so we can draft a QB.

Guess they will delete this post as well......

Oh well, doesn't make the team any better. I have been a fan since the Oiler Days and not going anywhere, but this team sucks big sour pickles right now.

Tearstain
10-06-2013, 10:50 PM
We want 4

We want 4

Come on Schuab you can do it

gafftop
10-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Reminds me of the end of the Carr era. It took years for some to see but eventually everyone saw it.

Corrosion
10-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Where's Nitrofish ..... Someone has to stick up for Schaub.

I really want to hear the excuses he can come up with after this asswhoopin.

76Texan
10-06-2013, 10:53 PM
LOL!
I can't wait to see what kind of a party the fans and the media are going to throw for Schaub next week.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Why not do it for a half down 21-0? Maybe it wakes him up. The point of a benching is to get someone's attention.

wouldn't be an issue if he'd have benched him at the end of last week's game. We'd be past this point right now.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 11:13 PM
So how's that working TK?

Not so good.

HoustonFrog
I look at Schaub like Romo...though Romo has more skill to make something out of nothing. But you have to make it where the guy throws a minimal amount of time before brain farts. The running game worked tonight. Too bad the passing game got you down so you stopped using it.

TexanBacker93

Not considering another QB might give the team a spark. We'd still be stuck with the worst head coach in the NFL, though. So...it probably wouldn't matter.

Premier
10-06-2013, 11:29 PM
tired of hearing, "best chance to win".. best chance to win what exactly.. certainly not a super bowl.. youre almost hurting your franchise holding on to something..

Corrosion
10-06-2013, 11:32 PM
I look at Schaub like Romo...though Romo has more skill to make something out of nothing. But you have to make it where the guy throws a minimal amount of time before brain farts. The running game worked tonight. Too bad the passing game got you down so you stopped using it.

Not to mention an outstanding job by the defense for the most part.

Kaepernick is only 6/15 113 yards and you lose by 31 ?!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-06-2013, 11:37 PM
LOL

Faux Peyton Manning ‏@FauxPManning 54m
3 Interceptions for Schaub, but in his defence, the 49ers defenders have been WIDE open

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 11:44 PM
tired of hearing, "best chance to win".. best chance to win what exactly.. certainly not a super bowl.. youre almost hurting your franchise holding on to something..
I know how you feel. Oh well, on to the Rams game.

Prepare yourself though. Matt Schaub will likely start.

Norg
10-06-2013, 11:47 PM
hmmmm interesting are we watching the end of the schaub era ..???

htownfan32
10-06-2013, 11:48 PM
610 is making Keenum - Tom Brady comparisons

:kubepalm: :wadepalm: :toropalm: :vincepalm:

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 11:49 PM
You have got to be ****ing kidding me. 3 INTs. Schaub is killing us. TJ Yates can't do worse

It doesn't matter if he can. Schaub doesn't deserve to be on the field. If Yates comes out & throws 3 INTs in the game.... so the fk what. But he needs to do that before Schaub starts for this team again.

eriadoc
10-06-2013, 11:50 PM
610 is making Keenum - Tom Brady comparisons

:kubepalm: :wadepalm: :toropalm: :vincepalm:

At comparable points in their careers, it's an unfair comparison. Keenum was a much better QB in college and did just as much as Tom Brady as a rookie.

hradhak
10-06-2013, 11:51 PM
It doesn't matter if he can. Schaub doesn't deserve to be on the field. If Yates comes out & throws 3 INTs in the game.... so the fk what. But he needs to do that before Schaub starts for this team again.

At this point, Schaub has to prove to the rest of the team that he can get the call under center. He has lost this job, whether or not Yates or Keenum deserves to start. Schaub has not played well, and has lost games for his team.

If Yates comes out there and stinks it up, then I still think you go to Keenum before you go to Schaub until Schaub can prove he's the starter

Big52Hurt
10-06-2013, 11:51 PM
no offense fellas but imo, Schaub is killing you guys! he is INT prone! pick 6's to be more specific. it may be time for you guys to move on and find another QB. your thoughts?

eriadoc
10-06-2013, 11:53 PM
why dont people not want to give keenum a chance?

i mean give him a chance to fail at least before writing off the idea as ludicrous.

Why not give him a chance?

Because deep down, people hate being proven wrong more than anything.

BaTtLe ReD TXN
10-06-2013, 11:54 PM
They need to rip that Captain patch off his jersey Sons of Anarchy style!

:roast:

htownfan32
10-06-2013, 11:56 PM

I've seen nothing from Keenum that suggests he's any better than Yates. They are probably equivalent at best. Start one over the other, but it's crazy to think Keenum's the savior we need.

If Keenum meant we go 13-0 from this point on, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. But if you think that is actually going to happen, you're either a student at UH or grasping for straws.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 11:57 PM

i mean give him a chance to fail at least before writing off the idea as ludicrous.

Who said they don't want to give him a chance? I'm willing to bring Chris Brown in & give him a chance to be our starting QB

WolverineFan
10-06-2013, 11:57 PM

I don't see what he's done to deserve a shot before Yates to be honest. I like him, but I think you roll with Yates for at least a few games.

TEXANRED
10-06-2013, 11:58 PM
I've seen nothing from Keenum that suggests he's any better than Yates.
I havent seen anything from Schaub that makes him better than Yates but that doesnt mean anything.

eriadoc
10-06-2013, 11:58 PM
I've seen nothing from Keenum that suggests he's any better than Yates. They are probably equivalent at best. Start one over the other, but it's crazy to think Keenum's the savior we need.

If Keenum meant we go 13-0 from this point on, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. But if you think that is actually going to happen, you're either a student at UH or grasping for straws.

As a corollary to my earlier statement, I'd point out that only people who make such concrete statements run any risk of being proven wrong.

htownfan32
10-07-2013, 12:01 AM
As a corollary to my earlier statement, I'd point out that only people who make such concrete statements run any risk of being proven wrong.

Christ, I really hope Kubes puts in Keenum so either we win or this insufferable Keenum love just stops. I'd be happy with either situation.

chicagotexan2
10-07-2013, 12:05 AM
He's footage of Matt schaub in the face of a pass rush

http://i.imgur.com/Fj4N8.gif

Corrosion
10-07-2013, 12:05 AM

None of us have seen anything from Keenum yet.

What we have seen is Matt Schaub , we can see he's all but washed up.

We have seen Yates , what he showed us was that he was nothing more than a capable backup.

I'll take the unknown upside of Keenum while the games still matter over Yates.

If Keenum should succeed , fail or look like a backup ... at least we know what we have now with all three of them.

eriadoc
10-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Christ, I really hope Kubes puts in Keenum so either we win or this insufferable Keenum love just stops. I'd be happy with either situation.

I would as well. What I hate is not knowing while Schaub gives games to the opposing team.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Reports coming out that Schaub threw a fit, but it was intercepted.

TEXANRED
10-07-2013, 12:08 AM

aaaaaaaaaaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha

Texecutioner
10-07-2013, 12:10 AM

You pretty much proved his statement to stand true.

MEGA SWATT
10-07-2013, 12:11 AM

Word is that Kubiak is blaming himself for not coaching Matt better because he was too busy mapping out some "3rd and 20" run-plays.:kubepalm:

Texecutioner
10-07-2013, 12:12 AM
None of us have seen anything from Keenum yet.

What we have seen is Matt Schaub , we can see he's all but washed up.

We have seen Yates , what he showed us was that he was nothing more than a capable backup.

I'll take the unknown upside of Keenum while the games still matter over Yates.

If Keenum should succeed , fail or look like a backup ... at least we know what we have now with all three of them.

And I just don't understand what is so hard to understand about this philosophy at this point? We know what we have with Schaub and Yates. We don't know what we have in Keenum just yet. We do have potential though. Lets see what he can do in a real game. How can it be any worse than the alternatives?

thunderkyss
10-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm hoping the Texans' defense has been struggling because they've been practicing against Keenum running our offense & not the scout team offense. Hopefully Kubiak's been teaching Keenum our offense, getting him ready to start.

htownfan32
10-07-2013, 12:15 AM
And I just don't understand what is so hard to understand about this philosophy at this point? We know what we have with Schaub and Yates. We don't know what we have in Keenum just yet. We do have potential though. Lets see what he can do in a real game. How can it be any worse than the alternatives?

This point seems a little strange to me, since it assumes Yates has done nothing since he played for us in 2011. We don't know if Yates has improved or not, either, since all we've seen out of both Keenum and Yates is preseason performances, which can be pretty misleading.

However, I'm fully aboard the start Keenum train just because I'm tired of all the Keenum nuttiness on this board. Either he wins for us and and I'm happy, or the Keenum love stops, and I'm happy.

ObsiWan
10-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Well, I was wrong. I thought Schaub was better than this.
I was wrong.

We should start Keenum or Yates. Schaub has got to earn his way back under center as the starter.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be in a Texans uniform

Premier

how does one conclude that weve seen what we need to see from yates??? just asking, are you basing this off what he did as a rookie?? or the couple of appearances in blowouts last year?? it took you guys 7 years to finally see the light with schaub. but tj, 8 games, from his rookie season and youve seen enough?????

i say both guys are pretty unknown and probably not the answer..

chicagotexan2
Where's Nitrofish ..... Someone has to stick up for Schaub.

I really want to hear the excuses he can come up with after this asswhoopin.

I think he's busy organizing the next Rally for Schaub I hear there's gonna be a huge turnout.

Rey
How can anyone say they know what Yates is?

Based on some games during his rookie year when he was thrust into a starting role on a first time ever play off team?

The only qb on this team that we have a good idea of what he's about is Schaub.

hradhak
10-07-2013, 12:19 AM
I'm fine with Yates getting the start. If he doesn't get it done, then I think Keenum gets the nod before Schaub does. I think all 3 need to be on a short leash though.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-07-2013, 12:21 AM
At this point I would trade Schaub for a decent kicker. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Me personally, i just cant believe kubiak would be that negligent to not at least open the job up if there was any thought that keenum could be the guy.....if there is/was and he still did what he did, then that's just 1 more reason kubiak should be fired...

I mean lets be real here, keenum is 3rd string for a reason....if he had the real potential you guys think he has, i have to believe that kubiak would've at least had him as the clear back up behind Schaub going into the season.

Aside from that, i dont think i've EVER heard of a guy becoming a successful starting Qb in the league for a sustained amount of time coming from 3rd string...that just doesnt happen.

BorrowMe
10-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Me personally, i just cant believe kubiak would be that negligent to not at least open the job up if there was any thought that keenum could be the guy.....if there is/was and he still did what he did, then that's just 1 more reason kubiak should be fired...

I mean lets be real here, keenum is 3rd string for a reason....if he had the real potential you guys think he has, i have to believe that kubiak would've at least had him as the clear back up behind Schaub going into the season.

Aside from that, i dont think i've EVER heard of a guy becoming a successful starting Qb in the league for a sustained amount of time coming from 3rd string...that just doesnt happen.

Tom Brady was 4th string

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

TexanBacker93
10-07-2013, 12:27 AM
I think Keenum has to be the guy for now. You have to see what's on the roster in case you need to look towards drafting a QB. While Yates might be better than he was in 2011 I think his ceiling is still a serviceable backup that can fill in when needed. We need to see if Keenum can be the guy or look at a day 1 guy.

You don't have to be a top 10 QB to be great.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben were all out of the top 10.
So were Wilson and Kaepernick.

The last 2 aren't great, but tbey'd be improvements.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Tom Brady was 4th string

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

If i recall, he came into camp as 4th string, but by the time the season rolled around He was the clear back up the year he came in for bledsoe.....not the same situation as we are in...

TexanBacker93
10-07-2013, 12:28 AM
At this point I would trade Schaub for a decent kicker. 2 birds with 1 stone.

The key to that is to use a big stone.

Rey
10-07-2013, 12:32 AM

Kubiak is loyal to people.

He's not just going to replace Yates based on any potential keenum shows. Yates has been a good boy, so he'll get first dibs.

Then after that, keenum would be next.

Kubiak isn't going to rock the boat. Everything has it's place.

76Texan
10-07-2013, 12:33 AM

There have been quite a few; I had listed many of them before.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Kubiak is loyal to people.

He's not just going to replace Yates based on any potential keenum shows. Yates has been a good boy, so he'll get first dibs.

Then after that, keenum would be next.

Kubiak isn't going to rock the boat. Everything has it's place.

I know but if Keenum was to come in here and lite it up it would just further show this dude's incomptence.....and why he needs to be gone along with Schaub.

Texecutioner
10-07-2013, 12:40 AM
This point seems a little strange to me, since it assumes Yates has done nothing since he played for us in 2011. We don't know if Yates has improved or not, either, since all we've seen out of both Keenum and Yates is preseason performances, which can be pretty misleading.

However, I'm fully aboard the start Keenum train just because I'm tired of all the Keenum nuttiness on this board. Either he wins for us and and I'm happy, or the Keenum love stops, and I'm happy.

Yates has shown that he wouldn't be anything other then a Jason Campbell type of QB at best. A decent starter in some games, and a back up type of guy in the rest. He is and never was a guy that was touted to be an NFL starter. Maybe you feel differently, but I don't see any potential that would lead me to think that he could be a big time passer in this league.

And yes Keenum on the other hand has shown me that he potentially could. He can move in and out of the pocket and has a very quick release. He puts the ball in small windows on a lot of throws that I know a guy like Schaub would never even attempt. He reminds me of a shorter version of Romo actually. What I don't know is if he can play well in the clutch or even in big regular season games? I'm dying to find out. I want to see if he can become an igniter for this offense right now. But with this same ole stubborn safe HC coach, we'll probably never find out. We'll just suffer through Schaub until the off season where he'll get another 4 years to see what he can do with another QB.

Brisco_County
10-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Here's what to expect going forward:

1) Schaub will be the starter against St Louis. This will be interesting, because Fisher knows the tendencies of this offense.

2) If Schaub does not improve over the next two games, Rick Smith will have Schaub benched indefinitely. Kubiak can be as loyal to Schaub as he wants, but Smith has a business to run. We saw this course of action when Kubiak was left out of the conversation regarding the hiring of Wade Phillips. It also fits the 20/70/10 philosophy that Smith adopted, which dictates that when your highest paid players in the top 20% underperform and drop into the middle 70%, they become a burden on the team and you have to take action.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 12:49 AM
There have been quite a few; I had listed many of them before.

Not guys who worked their way up from 3rd string to become starters over multiple seasons b/c thats not the same thing we're talking about here.......guys that were on the roster as 3rd stringers at 1 point in the season & then leap frogged the 2nd string guy during the season for the starting spot in the same season.........guys who weren't high draft picks and weren't expected to ascend to the starting job and came outta nowhere.....thats what. We're talkng about if we 're seriously entertaining starting keenum.

chicagotexan2
10-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Does Schaub ever pump fake? I mean he winds up and his delivery and ball speed are slow so wouldn't a pump fake every now and then help out?

76Texan
10-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Not guys who worked their way up from 3rd string to become starters over multiple seasons b/c thats not the same thing we're talking about here.......guys that were on the roster as 3rd stringers at 1 point in the season & then leap frogged the 2nd string guy during the season for the starting spot in the same season.........guys who weren't high draft picks and weren't expected to ascend to the starting job and came outta nowhere.....thats what. We're talkng about if we 're seriously entertaining starting keenum.

I'll have to go back to look for it.
It's easier for you to assume these things because they sure are rare.

TexanBacker93
10-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Does Schaub ever pump fake? I mean he winds up and his delivery and ball speed are slow so wouldn't a pump fake every now and then help out?

His pump fake would be as slow and he'd have to reset. He'd probably be falling away when pumping as well making it even harder to quickly throw.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 12:58 AM
I'll have to go back to look for it.
It's easier for you to assume these things because they sure are rare.

Exactly my point....its extremely unlikely that keenum is going to be any better than Yates.....And people wanting to see him just b/c he's the unknown commodity isnt a good enough reason to start him over Yates imo....not while we still have something to play for anyway..

I dont have a problem with him getting his shot, i just dont think that he shouldn't have it before We get a real good look at TJ to see if he can at least be a stop gap guy.....short of yates or keenum absolutely lighting it up, we should go qb in the 1st round regardless and hit camp next year with the qb job open.

TexanBacker93
10-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Kubiak has announced that Schaub will start next week.

Fisher's Rams got excited. At least the DBs did.

Granted, this could still change.

Vinny
10-07-2013, 01:09 AM

Fisher's Rams got excited. At least the DBs did.

Granted, this could still change.

Hello Janoris Jenkins, IDP

Speedy
10-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Exactly my point....its extremely unlikely that keenum is going to be any better than Yates.....And people wanting to see him just b/c he's the unknown commodity isnt a good enough reason to start him over Yates imo....not while we still have something to play for anyway..

I dont have a problem with him getting his shot, i just dont think that he shouldn't have it before We get a real good look at TJ to see if he can at least be a stop gap guy.....short of yates or keenum absolutely lighting it up, we should go qb in the 1st round regardless and hit camp next year with the qb job open.

If you're making a QB change, which means you've pretty much given up on the season, then I would rather see Case, whether he's better than Yates or not. Yates isn't taking you anywhere. Yates isn't better than Schaub and we know where the Schaub train is going. Should have traded TJ when you had the chance.

Now, Case may not take you anywhere either, but like I said, if the change is made, the season is lost anyway. Might as well see if the guy can play or not.

thunderkyss
10-07-2013, 01:20 AM

I don't understand this. What possible benefit can we gain by proclaiming he is the starter next week?

I'm glad to see that he was finally benched, but if it had any effect on him at all, you just ruined it by naming him the starter for next week already.

I've got to hear the rest of the speech, but I'd have liked it if he just said, "We're going to evaluate the situation."

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 01:20 AM
If you're making a QB change, which means you've pretty much given up on the season, then I would rather see Case, whether he's better than Yates or not. Yates isn't taking you anywhere. Yates isn't better than Schaub and we know where the Schaub train is going. Should have traded TJ when you had the chance.

Now, Case may not take you anywhere either, but like I said, if the change is made, the season is lost anyway. Might as well see if the guy can play or not.

I disagree, we're only giving up on the season if we start the guy who doesnt have any starting experience under his belt not the guy who already has 1 playoff win under his belt.....we can at least strive for that with him b/c he's done it before.

With Keenum, we'd basically be holding a season long try out for the qb position for next year...

Rey
10-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Schaub's comments are disgusting. What is all this "we" stuff?

Guys are about to start turning on Schaub.

thunderkyss
10-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Schaub's comments are disgusting. What is all this "we" stuff?

I thought he had a mouse in his pocket.

Guys are about to start turning on Schaub.

Whether they are or not, we're going to start hearing about them.

SWATteam
10-07-2013, 11:12 AM
As much as we get frustrated by Kubiak's conservative offense sometimes, sadly all we needed was for Schaub to be Alex Smith this year. We have a top defense + running game and the best punter in the league (history?) to play the field position game. All he had to do was not make stupid decisions and screw up basic reads.

I can't believe I'm saying a pro QB should be like Alex Smith, the definition of mediocre and game manager, but Schaub can't even do that~! I have no doubt that we'd be at least 4-1 and a playoff team if he could just manage not to spot the other team 7 every game. We're lucky to have even beaten the Bengals and Schaub's ginger cousin Andy Dalton last year because of his horrible pick 6.

Do I believe we would be a legit SB contender playing that style or that the Chiefs have a shot this year? Most likely no, but it has to be less frustrating than what's going on so far. Only positive I can see is if hopefully it forces a change and saves us from another year under Schaub...

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
why not? why cant keenum battle it out vs yates in practice and them split reps vs the first string defense?

yates has regular and playoff reps under his belt, he has multiple years of experience with this offense yet he couldnt separate his play from keenum who just got here in preseason.

that should tell you right there who has the upside and potential and it at least warrants yates beat out keenum in practice reps vs 1st team defense.

What's the problem with proving it and earning it?

Freaking hate this mentality of hey schaubs been starter lets keep going with him just cuz huurr durrrr.

its just retarded.

First of all, Keenum is in his 2nd year in this system as well....just b/c he was on the practice squad last year doesn't mean he wasn't supposed to be learning the offense as well..

2nd of all, the bolded works both ways...you look at it as Yates didn't separate himself from Keenum just b/c Yates is the incumbent....well Keenum didn't exactly definitively separate himself from Yates in preseason either.

& i don't have a problem with the whole pratice reps thing you suggest. But are we really trusting our HC to make the honest evaluation of who should win the starting spot? His fatal flaw is he's loyal to a fault....

Uncle Rico
10-07-2013, 11:23 AM
The chorus of " boo's" that will rain down on Schaub this Sunday will be the equivalent of the thumbs down in Rome's colisseum, only difference Schaub won't be dismembered for our viewing pleasure.

Texecutioner
10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I disagree, we're only giving up on the season if we start the guy who doesnt have any starting experience under his belt not the guy who already has 1 playoff win under his belt.....we can at least strive for that with him b/c he's done it before.

With Keenum, we'd basically be holding a season long try out for the qb position for next year...

What is with you guys and this "experience" nonsense when it comes to Yates? Yates has one half a season, and you guys throw this around as if he is some 8 year vet that has been in multiple playoff seasons with huge performances on his belt. In that half season he had horrible pedestrian numbers and threw nothing but check downs. His experience showed that he was nothing but backup material.

And the whole "experience" thing is really overrated any way. Random QB's have popped up and had success quickly around this league for years. Warner had instant success, Rodgers had instant success, Wilson as a rookie had instant success, Kaepernick did as well. Hell, that guy from Cleveland (Hoyer) was tossing the ball around with those garbage weapons before he recently got injured. The league has made it easier for a bigger variety of QB's to be successful with the spread options working consistently. Experience is extremely overplayed here.

ObsiWan
10-07-2013, 11:44 AM
all it takes is one tweet, a cell phone video, an instagram picture.
After Vandermeer's acc't got hacked I refuse to believe anything I see tweeted.
Ever again.
If a player has something to say, then he ought to man up and step in front of the cameras.

handswarmer
10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
What Qb after starting his career as a back up, being traded to another team, starting and enjoying success, then being benched after throwing 4 straight pick 6's, went on to post-season success and Super Bowl glory?

gafftop
10-07-2013, 12:06 PM
What is with you guys and this "experience" nonsense when it comes to Yates? Yates has one half a season, and you guys throw this around as if he is some 8 year vet that has been in multiple playoff seasons with huge performances on his belt. In that half season he had horrible pedestrian numbers and threw nothing but check downs. His experience showed that he was nothing but backup material.

And the whole "experience" thing is really overrated any way. Random QB's have popped up and had success quickly around this league for years. Warner had instant success, Rodgers had instant success, Wilson as a rookie had instant success, Kaepernick did as well. Hell, that guy from Cleveland (Hoyer) was tossing the ball around with those garbage weapons before he recently got injured. The league has made it easier for a bigger variety of QB's to be successful with the spread options working consistently. Experience is extremely overplayed here.

I agree 100%. Based on what all you "experience " guys say you never make a change. Experience is only ONE factor and it really could be NO factor if you never learn anything. For some it is a brand new day every day. I think MS is at a point that even if he has an advantage in experience his physical skills are so debilitating that it doesn't matter.

TJ looks so much like Matt it is scary. Stats in preseason looked very similar between TJ and Case but the eyes said a different story. I remember at least two great long passes caught in stride that Case made. It very well may occur that Case is not ready but why not find out. I still am for either making all 3 active or preferably MS inactive so that we see TJ and Case play.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM

All those qb's either run offenses tailored to their skill set or gimmicky packages that do the same, have incrementally better coaches to guide them along or have been in the league for years & started or at least played in 1 regular season game before they got the nod....

None of which are in play in this situation here. Kubes ain't gonna all of a sudden start running spread packages exclusively for Keenum like he did at UH...He ain't gonna incorporate a zone read package to utilize his mobility and he ain't gonna all of a sudden start being aggressive with his play calling.

He'll likely smother Keenum until he becomes as robotic as Schaub is/was.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 12:31 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/50246-so-youre-saying-theres-a-chanc-toCD.jpeg

-Gary Kubiak

how many regular season games and playoff games does keenum have compared to yates?

how many years has keenum been a member of an nfl 53 man roster compared to yates?

i mean yates was already running this offense in college yet he couldnt outright beat out an undrafted and undersized qb.

& the bolded more than anything should tell you how difficult it is to have success in this league....

thunderkyss
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
What is with you guys and this "experience" nonsense when it comes to Yates? .

There are only two starting QBs in the league right now that started their careers as back ups.

Tony Romo & Matt Schaub.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 12:39 PM
yea if you dont have any balls to make bold moves and not even give yourself a chance to find out.

We can find out....once the season is lost...much how we handled Arian...

Vinny
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Schaub has 4 pick-6 INT's in last 4 games. Schaub has the same amount of TD passes to Andre Johnson over the last 36 games.

eriadoc
10-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Schaub has 4 pick-6 INT's in last 4 games. Schaub has the same amount of TD passes to Andre Johnson over the last 36 games.

So you're saying Schaub does throw TD passes. ;)

ObsiWan
10-07-2013, 01:02 PM

I agree 100%. Based on what all you "experience " guys say you never make a change. Experience is only ONE factor and it really could be NO factor if you never learn anything. For some it is a brand new day every day. I think MS is at a point that even if he has an advantage in experience his physical skills are so debilitating that it doesn't matter.

TJ looks so much like Matt it is scary. Stats in preseason looked very similar between TJ and Case but the eyes said a different story. I remember at least two great long passes caught in stride that Case made. It very well may occur that Case is not ready but why not find out. I still am for either making all 3 active or preferably MS inactive so that we see TJ and Case play.

Two additional counterpoints to the whole "Yates has more experience" argument:

1. Schaub has ten years of experience. Is that helping him?

2. No one has any NFL game "film" on Keenum. That means no defense really knows what to expect from him (of course, neither do we) which, for a while, could work to his advantage. Defenses will have to play him honest until they get a bead on what his strengths and weaknesses are. Or they could blitz like crazy and hope he gets rattled. But that's what draw plays and screens and 3-step drop plays are for.

Time to find out what the kid can do.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 01:02 PM
so in other words, you want to prolong the inevitable.

Dont like how we handled Foster. I would much rather have figured out that Foster was better than steve slaton instead of having to find out through injury.

Imagine if steve slaton didnt get injured. We might never have seen foster.

Understand the "inevitable" is going after a qb in the 1st round....that's what pretty much every team does when they need to badly upgrade a position & the FA market sucks...

Letting Keenum get some live bullets in without actually forfeiting this current season isn't prolonging anything...If anything it's protecting him. Because it wouldn't be fair to the kid to throw him in there & put the pressure on him of having to try & save this season. Give that to the guy who's already had that pressure on him & has been in the system long enough to where he should be improved from his performance on his rookie year....Yates.

If Yates fails, then it's extremely likely that the season is lost anyway & then that is when you go with Keenum to "see".

But as i said in another post....short of him lighting it up, his performance should in no way preventing us from doing the "inevitable".

eriadoc
10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
OK, simple question for those of you who seem to have some agenda against Keenum:

What does Schaub do better than Keenum, right now?

Arm strength: Keenum showed he can make all the throws in the preseason and showed he had zip on the ball. Whenever I read someone saying Keenum doesn't have an NFL arm, I immediately write them off as having any opinion worth listening to. The tape is out there. The guy can sling it just fine. He doesn't have Favre's arm, but he's as good or better than Schaub.

Mobility: Not even really going into this, because it's evident for all to see that Schaub has zero mobility. We don't need a running QB, but one who can move around a little and do roll-outs that don't go backward would be nice.

Decision Making: Well, 9 INTs on the season, at least 6 of which have led directly to TDs, and I think we can throw that one out.

Accuracy: Ties into the last comment, but Schaub has been horribly inaccurate, even on completions. This is why completion percentage doesn't tell the tale. AJ has had to grow a foot this season just to haul in Schaub's passes. The receivers have no shot at getting YAC because of Schaub's inaccuracy. He's behind, too low, or too high, but almost never where the ball needs to be. Yeah, I know what back shoulder throws are and I'm not talking about those.

Experience: Yes, Schaub has a lot more. It sure doesn't translate to much, huh?

What does Schaub do better than Keenum? Serious question.

Thorn
10-07-2013, 01:08 PM
What does Schaub do better than Keenum? Serious question.

I think it should be obvious to anyone something is horribly wrong with our offense, and it starts with both Kubiak and Schaub. Schaub just isn't who he used to be. We all know this, we all remember those years when the defense sucked and he'd be throwing TDs in the 2nd half, enough to win the game, but the defense would then suck it up as much as the offense is doing now. We've all seen Schaub at his best, but it may be over with now. If that truly is the case, there isn't any arguments against starting either Keenum or Yates instead of Schaub.

Vinny
10-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I think it should be obvious to anyone something is horribly wrong with our offense, and it starts with both Kubiak and Schaub. Schaub just isn't who he used to be. We all know this, we all remember those years when the defense sucked and he'd be throwing TDs in the 2nd half, enough to win the game, but the defense would then suck it up as much as the offense is doing now. We've all seen Schaub at his best, but it may be over with now. If that truly is the case, there isn't any arguments against starting either Keenum or Yates instead of Schaub.
everyone is squatting on those underneath crossing routes. We don't stretch the field vertically enough....hell, Andre has the same amount of TD's the last two years as opposing defenses in this plodding, tired old offense. Weak arm plus hard head coach. Bad combo.

Brisco_County
10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I have yet to see a valid reason why Keenum should not get a shot. The objections to him that I've read and heard are all assumed limitations with no supporting examples. What has been proven is that he can do things that Schaub and Yates cannot do.

For the record, I'm a Longhorn, not a Cougar, and I was against VY going to the Texans.

Blake
10-07-2013, 01:37 PM
When you are tied at the hip to a sinking Matt Schaub, you will do anything to prove there isnt a hole in the boat.

I dont know what is going on in Schaub's head, but he is killing this team. And Kubiak cant seem to fix it. How much of our season is he going to use to figure that out?

Rey
10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Beyond the comparisons, what skills does he himself bring to the table at this point?

You had announcers on a national stage, Sunday night f'n football, taking bets on who'd score on our last drive before the half.

Michaels ended up going 53/47 texans.

How embarrassing is that?

Rey
10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I want to see keenum and Yates simply because I want to give them a shot to be starters before we go out and grab a qb in the first.

I don't know if either would become legit great qb's, but hell, might as well give them a shot.

Exascor
10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Let's trade Schaub for Eli Manning straight up. Both QBs need a change of scenery.

Trail.Blazr
10-07-2013, 02:06 PM
I have yet to see a valid reason why Keenum should not get a shot. The objections to him that I've read and heard are all assumed limitations with no supporting examples. What has been proven is that he can do things that Schaub and Yates cannot do.

For the record, I'm a Longhorn, not a Cougar, and I was against VY going to the Texans.

I can offer one valid reason.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtYKtUT4WDU

Not to discredit Case, but this was a powerful moment and is hard to dismiss as a justification to give TJ a shot instead of Case. You speak of things Case can do that Schaub and Yates can't, however, that moment bears significant weight.

I have not seen Case play ever, except for preseason NFL games, which is VERY difficult to put any stock in. But to read into the Keenum supporters, if his skillset is as deserving a shot as it's made out to be, then I can assume that Keenum has been 3rd string out of Kubiak's Loyalty to #8 and #13, which if has any truth to it, doesn't bode well for Case does it?

The prospect of Case being an Arian Foster type of undrafted talent is intriguing to me, personally, as I've seen nothing to suggest that TJ is to the QB position what Arian is to the RB position. But I'm inclined to think Houston fans can't be lucky enough to see lightening strike twice like that in such close proximity. Would I love to see that theory proven wrong? YES

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 02:16 PM
actually its prolonging the situation.

If you stick with schaub, you're not winning the superbowl. you cant really beat elite teams in the playoffs.

So that means this season wasted. So lets assume kubiak actually had the balls to make a change in the offseason, and go with tj yates, does he give him a full year to prove himself? Does Kubiak go schaub on Yates and we give him what one or two years to prove himself? then what? we go to case keenum? he's either the god 2nd coming of drew brees like a lot of posters claim him to be or what if he's a bust? do we give him a couple of years to prove it?

How many years have we wasted?

Keenum showed great talent at u of h. broke passing records. he played great during preseason and basically beat out a fellow young qb who had game and playoff experience and has been immersed in this offense for years.

Dont those things show talent? Dont those things warrant a chance to show what he can do in a regular season game?

As for protecting a qb, how many rookie qbs have started and shown competence? Keenum has been playing a lot of football. he has a lot of reps. If he implodes we can go to tj yates who also warrants a second look.

Its not like keenum or yates is a #1 overall first round draft pick where they have that command status for a lot of leeway. If he's just totally incompetent we go with yates. IF both are just crapping the bed we go back to schaub whose had time to sit, reflect, and gather his thoughts.

Its not like schaub is some first ballot superstar qb that was playing great that you couldnt bench him and go back to him.

:toropalm:

htowntexans1985
10-07-2013, 02:20 PM
"Itís a long season and by no means is
anything all said and done." -- #Texans

QB Matt Schaub

:kingkong:

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 02:29 PM
so is this your attempt to prove my post wrong?

Or is this a way for you to pretend to save face because you cant come up with a proper response?

Good job. you really proved me wrong with your elaborate and well thought out response.

Your post doesnt make sense on multiple levels and your reading comprehension is staggeringly inept....my response was my way of helping you to save face as i was just gonna drop it....obviously you didnt take the hint.....but then again, based on your posts on this topic, cant say im surprised.

TexansBull
10-07-2013, 02:49 PM
One of the first questions to ask the next QB is what number is he going to wear? If the guy says number 8 we move on. That number is forever cursed.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Vinny
10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
One of the first questions to ask the next QB is what number is he going to wear? If the guy says number 8 we move on. That number is forever cursed.

we could be the first team that has some sort of bizarro number retirement shrine where nobody can use it going forward. We can put Tony Boselli's jersey in the shrine.

htownfan32
10-07-2013, 03:28 PM

College and preseason play is weak "proof" of his ability to do things that Yates and Schaub cannot.

But again, I'm all aboard the start Keenum train because I will be happy if he wins for us and I'll be happy if all this unfounded Keenum love stops. I'm adopting a wait and watch policy on him. I don't think he is as special as many posters here think he is, but if he really and truly is then this team is better for it, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

NCTexan
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM

MSR.

I'm all for Keenum if he can lead us to the SB. I don't see any reason not to give Yates two or three games now though cause I don't think the SB is happening this season either way.

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 03:41 PM
College and preseason play is weak "proof" of his ability to do things that Yates and Schaub cannot.

But again, I'm all aboard the start Keenum train because I will be happy if he wins for us and I'll be happy if all this unfounded Keenum love stops. I'm adopting a wait and watch policy on him. I don't think he is as special as many posters here think he is, but if he really and truly is then this team is better for it, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

This...

htownfan32
10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Also... posted this in the NFL section of the board, but here it is again.

Matt Flynn's been released.

The short and painful Matt Flynn era is over in Oakland. Flynn has been released by the Raiders, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora has confirmed. Oakland obtained Flynn in an April Fool's Day trade with the Seahawks. In exchange for the quarterback, the Raiders sent a 2014 fifth-round pick to Seattle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24045805/report-raiders-release-qb-matt-flynn

Do we give him a call?

NCTexan
10-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Also... posted this in the NFL section of the board, but here it is again.

Matt Flynn's been released.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24045805/report-raiders-release-qb-matt-flynn

Do we give him a call?

I don't think so. Who would we cut? We can't have 4 QBs on the roster and I don't think he's shown anything that would put him above Yates.

Uncle Rico
10-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Geez, just thought about the possibility that Cortland (F)innegan could take one to the house against us. Talk about the last laugh.

Thorn
10-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Geez, just thought about the possibility that Cortland (F)innegan could take one to the house against us. Talk about the last laugh.

AJ would lose his mind.

jaayteetx
10-07-2013, 03:48 PM

I was thinking about that this morning also, would anyone really be surprised?

Hervoyel
10-07-2013, 03:51 PM
we could be the first team that has some sort of bizarro number retirement shrine where nobody can use it going forward. We can put Tony Boselli's jersey in the shrine.

Some teams retire numbers. The Texans banish them.

Hervoyel
10-07-2013, 03:53 PM

That's an outstanding attitude to take about it. It really would be a win-win. Either he's the savior waiting in the wings that many of us hope and/or believe he is or we get it over with and move on to the next potential candidate.

htownfan32
10-07-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't think so. Who would we cut? We can't have 4 QBs on the roster and I don't think he's shown anything that would put him above Yates.

This is my thought as well. There's obviously some reason he hasn't stuck in either Seattle or Oakland, so...

False Start
10-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Obligatory...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/schaub_GP-1copy-1.jpg

Oh....

You ever seen Matt Schaub throw a pick 6?.... You ever see Matt Schaub throw a pick 6... ON WEED?!

http://bigodfw.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/halfbaked4.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Schaub's QB rating for the last 4 games: 76.6 / 72.8 / 81.6 / 32.2

Schaub's pass completion % against 49ers: 54.2 (19/35)