PDA

View Full Version : Play-off QBs

thunderkyss
01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Found this article (http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/story/0ap1000000121543/article/aaron-rodgers-tom-brady-joe-flacco-among-top-playoff-qbs)ranking the play off QBs. I'd like to here your thoughts.

Matt Schaub, Houston Texans

Another guy going for his first playoff win (T.J. Yates was under center for the Texans during last season's wild-card victory over the Cincinnati Bengals), Schaub is a very smart player who makes good decisions. However, he struggled to close out the regular season; we'll have to see if he can turn it up a notch mentally in the playoffs, when it's absolutely crucial to do so.

Rey
01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Just curious, but why didn't you at least include his ranking?

thunderkyss
01-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Just curious, but why didn't you at least include his ranking?

No reason in particular.

Honoring Earl 34
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/5-traits-of-an-NFL-dynasty.html&page=2

1) A special QB: So what is “special”? Special means that the QB can make plays that other QB’s can’t. They can win games on their own. They are like an extra coach on the field. You want the ball in their hands on the final series of a game when your team is behind. They possess traits that can’t be coached. They help to build chemistry in the locker room. They are uniquely durable. Peyton Manning is the model for “special” because he possesses multiple traits. Brady, Eli, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers are all special. It looks like Luck, RGIII, Keapernick, and Wilson have a chance to develop into special breeds as well. A special QB can hide a lot of a team’s deficiencies in other areas. A special QB makes his line better by getting rid of the football. He makes his receivers better by giving them chances to make plays. He takes pressure off the coaches by making the right adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately, there most likely will never be 32 of them. Sure you can still win an occasional super bowl with a good QB but just take stock in the last 25 super bowl winners, as the vast majority were won by “special QB’s”.

Mr teX
When I got to "smart player who makes good decisions" I realized the article must have been an attempt at humor.

you don't put up the numbers he has over his career here & not be a good decision maker. Don't see how you can even dispute that.

Jules Winnfield
01-04-2013, 01:29 PM
you don't put up the numbers he has over his career here & not be a good decision maker. Don't see how you can even dispute that.

its pretty disputable. Dont see how you cant dispute that.

Brett Farve and Tony Romo have spectacular numbers but their decision making is very shaky.

Schaub has a propensity of making shaky decisions in big time games and crucial situations.

Game ending INTs vs the Ravens and RAiders. His choke job vs Indy just to name a few off the top of my head. Anybody who says Matt Schaub is a great decision maker and they are not from local media comes off as some superficial analysis without any real knowledge whatsoever about the team he's analyzing.

Playoffs
01-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Writer has Flacco > Matt Ryan? He lost me on that.

Rey
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Writer has Flacco > Matt Ryan? He lost me on that.

Flacco was a drop away from the SB last year.

Ryan has never won a play-off game.

Premier
01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
people on this board make fun of flacco but i would take that guy any day over schaub.. outplayed brady and was dropped pass away from the super bowl..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIH-GrnnPVM

thunderkyss
01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
people on this board make fun of flacco but i would take that guy any day over schaub.. outplayed brady and was dropped pass away from the super bowl..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIH-GrnnPVM

I think most people don't buy into the "system" aspect of our offense, or how QB friendly it is. I'm not saying I agree with you on Flacco, or that you can put any QB here & it will work. But I think our system will make any QB look better than they do without our system.

Playoffs
01-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Flacco was a drop away from the SB last year.

Ryan has never won a play-off game.You're right, I'm off on my impression vs. the numbers.

But still, I'd rather Matty Ice than Joe.

Dutchrudder
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Manning ahead of Brady? Haha. Peyton is the Lebron James of football, king of the regular season, but falls apart in the playoffs. Only 1 championship to show for all his accolades.

Mr teX
01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
its pretty disputable. Dont see how you cant dispute that.

Brett Farve and Tony Romo have spectacular numbers but their decision making is very shaky.

Schaub has a propensity of making shaky decisions in big time games and crucial situations.

Game ending INTs vs the Ravens and RAiders. His choke job vs Indy just to name a few off the top of my head. Anybody who says Matt Schaub is a great decision maker and they are not from local media comes off as some superficial analysis without any real knowledge whatsoever about the team he's analyzing.

Lol, at using 2 of the most TO prone qb's ever and & a whole 3 games to back up your claim...& to make you look sillier, the games don't even back up your claim for good decision making.

yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense...I could just as easily cite the 2010 washington game, the jags & det games from this year & that same Ravens games to back up my claim by your criterion.

yeah, i see where this is going...i'm out

HJam72
01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I am a big fan of Flacco. Anybody that can play that well after shooting up some kind of narcotic before every game is....impressive, in a very strange way.

Mr teX
01-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Its called intelligence .... Matts numbers are the result of his receivers adjusting to his mistakes and making him look good. Matt Schaub isn't even a top 20 QB. He makes not bad ... not questionable ... but HORRIBLE decisions game in and game out.

Lol at this nonsense....You guys......:spit:.

thunderkyss
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Manning ahead of Brady? Haha. Peyton is the Lebron James of football, king of the regular season, but falls apart in the playoffs. Only 1 championship to show for all his accolades.

It's a team game.

As far as winning & winning championships go, it's a team game.

I have no problem saying Warren Moon & Dan Marino are among the best QBs I had ever seen even though they haven't won any championships.

At the same time, there's no question, in my mind, that Peyton is the better QB than Brady.

Perki-Perk
01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
It's a team game.

I have no problem saying Warren Moon & Dan Marino are among the best QBs I had ever seen even though they haven't won any championships.

At the same time, there's no question, in my mind, that Peyton is the better QB than Brady.

Agree with you completely Fiddler. Wow! I just said that.

If we can prove anything it is that the Colts without a QB of Peyton or Luck's caliber are a lottery team and the Patriots went seamlessly from Bledsoe to Brady.

76Texan
01-04-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/5-traits-of-an-NFL-dynasty.html&page=2

Earl, I was "glancing" through the road to the SB since 1990; the notion of the more "elite" winning is a stretch.

Don't think I have time to go into the details though.

Jules Winnfield
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Lol, at using 2 of the most TO prone qb's ever and & a whole 3 games to back up your claim...& to make you look sillier, the games don't even back up your claim for good decision making.

yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense...I could just as easily cite the 2010 washington game, the jags & det games from this year & that same Ravens games to back up my claim by your criterion.

yeah, i see where this is going...i'm out

its better than your blatantly incorrect ultimatum that it shouldnt even be disputed that schaub is a good decision maker.

it most certainly is very disputable.

Surreal McCoy
01-04-2013, 07:11 PM
its better than your blatantly incorrect ultimatum that it shouldnt even be disputed that schaub is a good decision maker.

it most certainly is very disputable.

Why create an alias to talk bollocks? Just log in with your normal username and maybe it would lend more credence...:clap:

Playoffs
01-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Its called intelligence .... Matts numbers are the result of his receivers adjusting to his mistakes and making him look good. Matt Schaub isn't even a top 20 QB. He makes not bad ... not questionable ... but HORRIBLE decisions game in and game out.

Oh, the irony... http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Jules Winnfield
01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Why create an alias to talk bollocks? Just log in with your normal username and maybe it would lend more credence...:clap:

bollocks?

why dont you stay on point and talk football instead of trying to flame?

and who are you to be judging what has credence or not?

Dutchrudder
01-05-2013, 01:06 AM
It's a team game.

The guy has been one and done 7 times out of his 11 playoff appearances, the majority of which were home games. If you want to put that on the team, then whatever, but that 2-14 team from last year just went 11-5 with a rookie QB this year.

bobbeaux
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM

manning has a defense this year so he doesn't have to do it all himself . . . ;)

thunderkyss
01-06-2013, 07:36 AM
The guy has been one and done 7 times out of his 11 playoff appearances, the majority of which were home games.

His team wasn't that good, that's all there is to it. One man can't beat 22 no matter how you look at it.

If you want to put that on the team, then whatever, but that 2-14 team from last year just went 11-5 with a rookie QB this year.

& that team has been almost completely overhauled. What's your point? Are you telling me that Luck is a better QB than Manning?