PDA

View Full Version : No matter what happens Saturday, it's been a very Successful Year for the Texans !

IDEXAN
01-02-2013, 08:59 AM
If you were like me and with this franchise watching it on TV that Sunday night for the first time against Dallas 10 years ago, you know it's been a long and difficult journey to this point. Well here's a reminder, last year was our first division winning season & playoff season and therefor this year is only the second to win a division and reach the playoffs and the 12 wins we've had are the most ever, but the harsh reality is sometimes playoff teams aren't playing their best when the playoffs begin so brace yourself for what might happen Saturday. Afterall last years best RS team and the defending SB champs Packers lost their initial playoff game at home in GB after stumbling badly at the end of the RS.

gwallaia
01-02-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm still angry.

Thorn
01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
The Texans are going to be a steady playoff team for a few years now, they are a good team, better than most in the AFC. That's better than what they used to be. But that doesn't mean I'm happy about everything.

TD
01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
One and done would be a step back so successful? Yes. VERY successful? No.

I am hoping against hope that this team will be the anti-1993 Oilers who were also 12-4 but finished on an 11 game win streak only to get bounced at home in round one. Maybe we stumble in, but get hot. :D

HTown2ATX
01-02-2013, 09:11 AM
:kubepalm:

Expectations vs what looks like the overall outcome will be (especially with the swirling turds we have witnessed the last few games) and I hesitate to call it a successful season. We have to step out of this little brother mindset as a fan base for this franchise and stop being happy with just a good record IMO.

It's time to expect more and stop settling for less. I understand we want to try to be positive but man, reality says this team has failed for the moment and come Saturday we will see if this team was truly fraudulent or not.

Yes, yes, we will all be rooting Saturday, we're all die hards, etc, etc, etc.....but smashing the rose colored glasses can reveal a lot....

Playoffs
01-02-2013, 09:35 AM
All I've ever wanted was a perennial playoff team.

It's a crapshoot after that.

ATXtexanfan
01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
just hope they upgrade the weaknesses in offseason. one step in front of colts yet three behind the best

amazing80
01-02-2013, 09:39 AM
getting TO the playoffs is not good enough, this team spouted off about super bowl or bust, so now they will be held to that standard

Thorn
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM

True. All those Manning years in Indy produced one trophy.

Hervoyel
01-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Ok, fine "12-4" is the best record ever. That doesn't mean this will go down as our best season ever. One and done is a step back regardless of regular season record. A Super Bowl win would make this the best season ever even if we got in at 9-7 in my opinion.

We're going to the playoffs. Saturday we win or this season was a failure. If we win then the next week we have a chance to make this season better than last year by doing something unexpected and winning in the second round. If we win this week and lose in the second then this season is no better (and no worse) than 2011.

Corrosion
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
If yas ask me , losing 2 of the last three and missing out on the #1 seed is a complete and total let down.

Looking at how the team has played in the last month .... doesnt make me happy at all.

The bottom line is this season started out with talks of a :trophy: and now we're .... settling for 12-4 , one and done in the playoffs is a success ?!!

Last year we knocked on the door ...... this year we are gonna kick the sum b!tch in.

Read my sig - Superbowl or bust , no excuses. - Matt Schaub. (just in case I change it)

DX-TEX
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Last year we knocked on the door .... this year we are suppose to kick the sum b!tch in.

)
Year 1 = Knock on door

Year 2 = Pound on door

Year 3 = Kick sum b!tch in

Problem is: Year 2 we rang doorbell and ran.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2013, 10:18 AM
This season is a failure if we do not make it past this first round. It is a failure if we get blown out against Denver or New England. If we are competitive in the second round and lose on a last second field goal, or TD then I honestly wouldn't be that upset. But, the fact that this team just pissed away the number one seed like they did would still make the overall season a big failure. Changes need to be made next year, most notably at QB. We can't have a weak-armed statue leading our team. I just heard Teddy Bruschi say that in order to beat the Texans, you must put the ball in Schaub's hands and let him beat you. That is just sad.

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM

So what do you think the Bengals are saying?

This season has been better for them as well, but someone's got to lose.

Don't get me wrong, I want a win. I expect the win. But I don't know if it's going to be a "step back"

This Bengals team is better than the one we faced last season. This Texans' team is better than the one they faced last season. It's going to be a hell of a game & I can't wait.

Corrosion
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Year 1 = Knock on door

Year 2 = Pound on door

bleh , you must nodda been around back then .... :texanbill: (hell I even put the text in columbia blue)

The fat lady aint sang on this season yet .... she might be warming up but she aint sang.

DX-TEX
01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
bleh , you must nodda been around back then .... :texanbill: (hell I even put the text in columbia blue)

The fat lady aint sang on this season yet .... she might be warming up but she aint sang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bum_Phillips

"Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a ***** in."[4]

I win old man!

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bum_Phillips

I win old man!

owned.

OilerTexan
01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Yes it has been a great season!

Things we never did before:
- We won 12 games!
- Were considered the top team at times during the season. (Those first games before Cush was hurt and the offense developed a tell on run plays, we were the dominant team.)
- We beat the Ravens.
- We beat the Jets.

And as a bonus, we've still never lost to the Bears or the Dolphins.

And not the least of this list, we got to watch Watt blow up into a mega star. Andre had another 1500 yard season.

I started as a Oilers fan in the '70s; we never made it to the Superbowl, but I loved that team. I want to make it to the Superbowl, but I don't need that.

deucetx
01-02-2013, 10:51 AM
I would say a 'good' season but not 'very successful.' Truth of the matter, regular season records mean little to nothing if you don't get the job done in the playoffs. Progress would be for this team to make it to the AFC title game and not to get a 'one and done' Saturday. Not a single player would find it successful to just get 12 wins in the regular season. Ask the Falcons how good it feels to get wins in the regular season while doing nothing in the post season.

So while I wouldn't say even if we lose it was a very successful season I will say no matter if we win, lose, stink it up or whatever that I will be proud of the guys for giving it a fight and being an organization I can easily stay behind no matter what. Classy organization and some players who you don't just enjoy their play but respect them as individuals.

Now to beat the kitty cats and go on to shock the world! Keep hope alive! LOL

Double Barrel
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM

This.

I hope for the best, but beyond that, I understand the fan experience is a passive one in that we watch and they win or lose.

Expectations, demands, settling...all those words are useless because we are powerless to change a damn thing on this team.

steelbtexan
01-02-2013, 11:02 AM

We've seen teams like this in past Oiler yrs.

Screw that, it's SB or bust. It's why they keep score/give Lombadris/Rings etc... The thing is expect lees than the best and that's most likely what you will get.

GP
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I liked football better when I was a kid and didn't know any better.

I watched every game not knowing that my team was going to win or lose...now, I go into every game knowing way too much information. I've analyzed football so much, for so long, that I practically know what to expect.

I still have hope, even when hope logically shouldn't be there, but the way the NFL has changed (in terms of its rules, the over-legislating of those rules, much like our country is over-legislated) has almost removed any doubt about who will win and who will lose. Sure, sometimes a rabbit gets pulled out of the hat...but you pretty much know how things are going to go down at some point along the way.

When I was a kid, those things were not an issue. I enjoyed football. Now, I just feel like it's hard labor. I'm chained to my chair and I'm working for the man. I feel like breaking out of that prison, to be honest. Why keep paying dues? What's the point? If the outcome is perpetual disdain and disgust and a realization (again and again) that I'm not in control of what will always be a disappointing outcome....then why? WHY? LOL.

badboy
01-02-2013, 11:28 AM
It is better to have a girlfriend than not, especially if she looks pretty good. Then she starts sliding into old ways that you have seen with her and others before, so you are cautious. You keep thinking of all the money spent and dream of what could be. I know about reality, I just keep hoping the fantasy will become reality. Who knows? It happens on the Hallmark Channel.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 11:48 AM
We've seen teams like this in past Oiler yrs.

Screw that, it's SB or bust. It's why they keep score/give Lombadris/Rings etc... The thing is expect lees than the best and that's most likely what you will get.

Let me try to undertand this, steelb.

You've been expecting the best, correct?

And what have you got? :spin:

76Texan
01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Year 1 = Knock on door

Year 2 = Pound on door

Actually, the problem was that the door fell and put a big bump in Bum's head. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

The Oilers lost in the wild card game the third season to the Raiders 7-27.
Bum was given the pink slip.

AMartin56
01-02-2013, 12:04 PM

- We won 12 games!
- Were considered the top team at times during the season. (Those first games before Cush was hurt and the offense developed a tell on run plays, we were the dominant team.)
- We beat the Ravens.
- We beat the Jets.

And not the least of this list, we got to watch Watt blow up into a mega star. Andre had another 1500 yard season.

I started as a Oilers fan in the '70s; we never made it to the Superbowl, but I loved that team. I want to make it to the Superbowl, but I don't need that.

You forgot 'We finally beat the Colts in Indy!'

Oh wait...

edwardc5637
01-02-2013, 12:07 PM
This season is a failure if we do not make it past this first round. It is a failure if we get blown out against Denver or New England. If we are competitive in the second round and lose on a last second field goal, or TD then I honestly wouldn't be that upset. But, the fact that this team just pissed away the number one seed like they did would still make the overall season a big failure. Changes need to be made next year, most notably at QB. We can't have a weak-armed statue leading our team. I just heard Teddy Bruschi say that in order to beat the Texans, you must put the ball in Schaub's hands and let him beat you. That is just sad.

Totally agree with you if there is no superbowl this season is a failure.

steelbtexan
01-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Let me try to undertand this, steelb.

You've been expecting the best, correct?

And what have you got? :spin:

Nothing but all of the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS should expect the best and nothing less because they put their heart and soul in this team. Ownership should be doing the same and held to the highest standards. Unfortunately it's business 1st and they aren't held to that standard by the fanbase.

What have we as a fanbase gotten?

steelbtexan
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM

- We won 12 games!
- We beat the Ravens.
- We beat the Jets.

This is the part of the fanbase I'm talking about. BoB wishes all Texan fans were like you.

GP
01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
The 49ers' head coach doesn't think like Gary Kubiak.

He's pulled his yearly starter in favor of an up-and-coming unproven KID.

And now Harbaugh has signed Cundiff to compete with Akers for the kicking job. I mean, what coach signs another kicker RIGHT BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS in order to push the "established" kicker? Harbaugh does.

I suddenly respect the Texans a lot LESS than I did before I read that Harbaugh is trying to do everything he can in order to shore up his team's chances in the playoffs.

What have we done? Nothing. Stick with Schaub, stick with Marciano, and not even going after Greg Knapp to help Schaub out??? Awesome.

Full steam ahead, all aboard the McNair "We're On The Right Track" Express.

Double Barrel
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Division "champions" hats for two years in a row! :winky: seriously...

Vinny
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM
When you totally and completely implode the last month of the season RIGHT after you clinch...well, let's just say that I have a different idea of what a "very successful year" is.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM

This.

I hope for the best, but beyond that, I understand the fan experience is a passive one in that we watch and they win or lose.

Expectations, demands, settling...all those words are useless because we are powerless to change a damn thing on this team.

As long as they don't underachieve.

With all the injuries, IMO, this team performs on par (they didn't underachieve.)

There's no guarantee that they will win this weekend as they are really thin at ILB; I believe Dobbins is nursing an injury.

Still, I "expect" the Texans to win; otherwise, it will be disappointing to say the least.

ObsiWan
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Year 1 = Knock on door

Year 2 = Pound on door

More like we rang the doorbell and then when opportunity answered, we forgot why we were standing on the porch in the first place.

Honoring Earl 34
Division "champions" hats for two years in a row! :winky: seriously...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eU0Q5KAVbsI/SOK3LhovBAI/AAAAAAAAA_s/0H0iKoEt80w/s400/stuartSmalley.jpg

Vinny

With all the injuries, IMO, this team performs on par (they didn't underachieve.)

There's no guarantee that they will win this weekend as they are really thin at ILB; I believe Dobbins is nursing an injury.

Still, I "expect" the Texans to win; otherwise, it will be disappointing to say the least.What do you call the last month of the season?

HOU-TEX
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
When you totally and completely implode the last month of the season RIGHT after you clinch...well, let's just say that I have a different idea of what a "very successful year" is.

Which is the 2nd year in a row that we've done this. IIRC, there was seeding implications last season too before losing 3 in a row (Panthers, Colts and titans) to end the season.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Nothing but all of the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS should expect the best and nothing less because they put their heart and soul in this team. Ownership should be doing the same and held to the highest standards. Unfortunately it's business 1st and they aren't held to that standard by the fanbase.

You can expect all you want, but unrealistic expectations most usually result in a let down... and then you go on ranting and raving... just having a miserable time is all it brings ya', honestly! :shades:

GP
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Still, I "expect" the Texans to win; otherwise, it will be disappointing to say the least.

You don't think that the failure to clinch HFA, in TWO ATTEMPTS, is underachieving?

Wow.

Had we manned up and clinched HFA...and then go on to lose in the AFCC game...I would think we did a good job based on all circumstances. But not putting the Vikings and the Colts away--losing HFA--that, to me, sealed this team's fate. They've under-achieved for that fact alone.

I can't even acknowledge a win vs. the Bengals, tbh. It'll be a mirage. But honestly, I feel like the Bengals are going to punk us HARD. I think we go out in the first round this Saturday. Owen Daniels better be preparing a better "I"m shocked, I'm stunned!" face than what he sported last Sunday in Indy.

fiasco west
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Which is the 2nd year in a row that we've done this. IIRC, there was seeding implications last season too before losing 3 in a row (Panthers, Colts and titans) to end the season.

Then they went into the playoffs and looked better than everyone expected.

Lets not forget this team was a play away from being in a AFCC game while playing a third string rookie QB and seemingly half the team on IR.

All things considered, they overachieved last season. Maybe they dropped seeding late in the season, but when the playoffs rolled around they showed up. So it didn't even matter.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
What do you call the last month of the season?

I've already stated my opinion on this matter several times.
I even said that they could very well go 1-2 in the last 3 weeks, and they did.

All I care is that they won the division.
I don't need style point. The Giants didn't have any style point for the regular season when they won them two SBs.

And now it's play-off time.

Vinny
01-02-2013, 12:38 PM

I've already stated my opinion on this matter several times.
I even said that they could very well go 1-2 in the last 3 weeks, and they did.

All I care is that they won the division.
I don't need style point. The Giants didn't have any style point for the regular season when they won them two SBs.

And now it's play-off time.
actually they were 1-4 over the last month

76Texan
01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
You don't think that the failure to clinch HFA, in TWO ATTEMPTS, is underachieving?

Wow.

Had we manned up and clinched HFA...and then go on to lose in the AFCC game...I would think we did a good job based on all circumstances. But not putting the Vikings and the Colts away--losing HFA--that, to me, sealed this team's fate. They've under-achieved for that fact alone.

I can't even acknowledge a win vs. the Bengals, tbh. It'll be a mirage. But honestly, I feel like the Bengals are going to punk us HARD. I think we go out in the first round this Saturday. Owen Daniels better be preparing a better "I"m shocked, I'm stunned!" face than what he sported last Sunday in Indy.

The Texans overachieved for a while (not counting the GB game) without Cushing.
The schedule got tougher in the second half of the season (playing against 5 winning teams as opposed to 3 in the first half) while the injuries kept mounting.

Par for the course to me.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM

???

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
The 49ers' head coach doesn't think like Gary Kubiak.

He's pulled his yearly starter in favor of an up-and-coming unproven KID.

& we don't know how that's going to turn out for them. They've got a bye week, & They'll have to play a pretty good team in two weeks. If they lose that game..... what did it get him? Last year they got to the NFC Championship game.

& even though things aren't looking up for us right now, we could very well be playing in the AFC Championship game. It's possible that may be a home game.

& remember, the last two Super Bowl winners didn't have bye weeks.

fiasco west
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
& we don't know how that's going to turn out for them. They've got a bye week, & They'll have to play a pretty good team in two weeks. If they lose that game..... what did it get him? Last year they got to the NFC Championship game.

& even though things aren't looking up for us right now, we could very well be playing in the AFC Championship game. It's possible that may be a home game.

Please remind people.

To me, I'll be happy every year the team makes the playoffs. Someone said that Manning only one won superbowl in all those years...just give your team a shot and get into the post-season.

If the team wins the division? In my opinion that's even better, great season! Of course HFA is better...but if this team is ever going to be a superbowl team it is going to have to win tough games on the road.

mridge01
01-02-2013, 12:46 PM

I agree to a point, but when they had the #1 seed in their grasp and blew it, not once, but twice, that was beyond disappointing.

mridge01
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Well the last two superbowl winners were hot and finding tough ways to win coming into the playoffs, not stumbling in and finding ways to lose like the Texans are.

Vinny
01-02-2013, 12:48 PM

???
You can't figure out that the last month of games included one win and three losses?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 @Patriots L 14-42 11-2
15 Sun Dec 16, 2012 Colts W 29-17 12-2
16 Sun Dec 23, 2012 Vikings L 6-23 12-3
17 Sun Dec 30, 2012 @Colts L 16-28 12-4

MistaRed
01-02-2013, 12:48 PM
I disagree with this line of thinking. If the Texans do not make the super bowl that's one thing. If they lose Saturday then this season is officially worse than last season, regardless of their regular season record.

mridge01
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Wow.

I am in full agreement with this post. However, I'm not ready to believe the Bengals will punk the Texans. But a neither a loss or a win by the home team will surprise me. Neither would matter to me either. A win just secures a date to get @$$ raped by NE again.

Vinny
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
ok, I can't figure out that 1-3 isn't 1-4....oh well, same point though.

fiasco west
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Well the last two superbowl winners were hot and finding tough ways to win coming into the playoffs, not stumbling in and finding ways to lose like the Texans are.

The Giants did get hot...but they were not favorites to win it.

The Packers were 2-2 though, I wouldn't say they went roaring into the playoffs or anything.

I think the point is, this is the NFL. Just get to the playoffs and see what you can do. It's hard enough to get to the playoffs, if you do it enough times (like the Steelers...) you may find that luck shines on your side enough to make a legit run at it.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
You can't figure out that the last month of games included one win and three losses?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 @Patriots L 14-42 11-2
15 Sun Dec 16, 2012 Colts W 29-17 12-2
16 Sun Dec 23, 2012 Vikings L 6-23 12-3
17 Sun Dec 30, 2012 @Colts L 16-28 12-4

You said 1-4.

The Texans were 2-3 for the month of December.
And they won a bunch of game before that.

mridge01
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM

The Packers were 2-2 though, I wouldn't say they went roaring into the playoffs or anything.

I think the point is, this is the NFL. Just get to the playoffs and see what you can do. It's hard enough to get to the playoffs, if you do it enough times (like the Steelers...) you may find that luck shines on your side enough to make a legit run at it.

The Packers had won their last 2 going into the playoffs. I never said either team was a favorite to win.

mridge01
01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
The Texans remind more of this Giants team from 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_New_York_Giants_season

Vinny
01-02-2013, 12:58 PM
You said 1-4.

I was talking about the last 4 games and I think redundantly typing "4" would clue you in on that. Also, thanks for telling me we won a bunch of games before that. I must have missed that little known nugget of information. Either that of I thought we were "imploding" from losses.

fiasco west
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
The Packers had won their last 2 going into the playoffs. I never said either team was a favorite to win.

I just don't think it matters too much. 2 games isn't a winning streak really though.

All the last 4 games say is that a team is struggling at the moment or a team is playing well at the time. That doesn't mean that can't change. It's just another thing people use to try and predict the usually unpredictable playoffs.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 01:13 PM

The Giants went 3-5.
The Packers went 3-3.
The Saints lost their last 3.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
The Giants went 3-5.
The Packers went 3-3.

Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees

handswarmer
01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
And Schaub has as much Playoff experience as RGIII and Andrew Luck...

And Schaub has thrown 1 TD in last 4 games....

And Schaub is shaken in the confidence dept....

Doesn't bode well

76Texan
01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees

You mean those guys sucked? :)

76Texan
01-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Doesn't bode well

Do you realize that Eli's previous experience before the SB win comprised of two losses?

One of them was a shutout; he threw for an "elite" 176 yards in the other.

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Then they went into the playoffs and looked better than everyone expected.

Lets not forget this team was a play away from being in a AFCC game while playing a third string rookie QB and seemingly half the team on IR.

All things considered, they overachieved last season. Maybe they dropped seeding late in the season, but when the playoffs rolled around they showed up. So it didn't even matter.

If we'd have won those last three games last year we'd have finished 13-3 & been the second seed.

Only difference is that no one expected us to be the 2 seed. We were the favorites to be the #1 seed. But everyone saw the writing on the wall, the team failed to adjust to what was happening & now we're the #3 seed.

I understand why everyone is so upset. We've got a downward trend going... I understand everyone thinking we're going to lose next week.

What I don't understand, is if we beat the Bengals, how's that going to be looked at as "nothing"

Perki-Perk
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Do you realize that Eli's previous experience before the SB win comprised of two losses?

One of them was a shutout; he threw for an "elite" 176 yards in the other.

Additionally, I remember not too long ago when Eli was considered a bust and many Giants fans who still watch him do not have total confidence. If I were a fan, there are really only 3 or 4 QB's I'd have total confidence in on my team. Unfortunately, Shaub is not one of them...

76Texan
01-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Additionally, I remember not too long ago when Eli was considered a bust and many Giants fans who still watch him do not have total confidence. If I were a fan, there are really only 3 or 4 QB's I'd have total confidence in on my team. Unfortunately, Shaub is not one of them...

Where Eli was drafted; he's supposed to be a franchise QB, but he underperformed for quite awhile.

Schaub is the equivalent of a 23rd pick (which I thought the Texans paid a little too much for to begin with - but we needed a QB.)

I have never expected great things out of Schaub.
But he needs to play within himself. Two INTs a game is not going to work.
And he can't take needless sack either.

Marcus
01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Anyone who says, after losing 3 out of the last 4, blowing HFA, and then going one and done in the playoffs, is still a successful season, is just saying that for the sake of stirring the pot. They themselves don't really believe that.

Did anyone think the 12-4 93 Oilers were a successful season? What happened to Super Bowl or bust?

If we're going one and done in the playoffs, all that 12-4 record means is bad seeding in the draft.

Failure.

ObsiWan
01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Edit. Already covered.

MEGA SWATT
01-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Not if they lose on Sat.:fingergun:

Honoring Earl 34
01-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Where Eli was drafted; he's supposed to be a franchise QB, but he underperformed for quite awhile.

Schaub is the equivalent of a 23rd pick (which I thought the Texans paid a little too much for to begin with - but we needed a QB.)

I have never expected great things out of Schaub.
But he needs to play within himself. Two INTs a game is not going to work.
And he can't take needless sack either.

So if that dog can't hunt you better find one that can .

DX-TEX
01-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees

Oh snapplecakes.

deucetx
01-02-2013, 02:38 PM
The Giants went 3-5.
The Packers went 3-3.

Guessing their point on the Giants is how they finished the season...not how they finished the second half of the season. They won their last 3 out of 4 to finish as we lost 3 out of 4.

Packers...two of those losses were without Aaron Rodgers and they still lost those by a combined 8 points, on the road and one of them to the Patriots. Matt Flynn led them in those two games.

Saints put a bounty on everyone as they went in the playoffs and went buck wild lol. Honestly, they got outplayed by the Vikings in the NFC game but they won in the end and that is all that matters. But yeah, they definitely did not go in hot after starting 13-0 though at the same time had nothing to play for in the last game with homefield sewed up...unlike us, heh.

Anyway, we have a chance but let's be honest. It will take playing above what we have in almost 8 weeks.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
So if that dog can't hunt you better find one that can .

Hey, I've been looking.
I said Dalton looked promising during the 2011 draft; and that CK was raw but may have higher upside.

Last year I went for the trio Wilson, Keenum, and Cousins.

I thought Keenum would be the 8th, 9th or 10th QB due to his injury history.
We got Keenum and I like him a lot, but you need a plan B with Keenum due to his size and injury history.

Playoffs
01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Bill Cowher coached 15 seasons, made it to the playoffs in 10 of those seasons and made it to the Super Bowl twice -- winning one.

His playoffs record was: 12-9.

Surreal McCoy
01-02-2013, 03:39 PM
If you were like me and with this franchise watching it on TV that Sunday night for the first time against Dallas 10 years ago, you know it's been a long and difficult journey to this point. Well here's a reminder, last year was our first division winning season & playoff season and therefor this year is only the second to win a division and reach the playoffs and the 12 wins we've had are the most ever, but the harsh reality is sometimes playoff teams aren't playing their best when the playoffs begin so brace yourself for what might happen Saturday. Afterall last years best RS team and the defending SB champs Packers lost their initial playoff game at home in GB after stumbling badly at the end of the RS.

QFT and respectability.

PS - repped

Surreal McCoy
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
You said 1-4.

But only December counts...:rolleyes:

Vinny
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
when it came to locking down home field advantage, playing two games instead of 3 to advance to the Super Bowl, and playing the worst playoff teams instead of the better playoff teams on your road to New Orleans....December mattered quite a bit.

Double Barrel
01-02-2013, 04:13 PM

I'm surprised that you are still here talking to the worst fans in the history of humanity.

oh yeah...":rolleyes:"

GP
01-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Anyone who says, after losing 3 out of the last 4, blowing HFA, and then going one and done in the playoffs, is still a successful season, is just saying that for the sake of stirring the pot. They themselves don't really believe that.

Did anyone think the 12-4 93 Oilers were a successful season? What happened to Super Bowl or bust?

If we're going one and done in the playoffs, all that 12-4 record means is bad seeding in the draft.

Failure.

It impacts our strength of schedule, too, correct? The better you are...the tougher your competition will be in the future--Or am I mistaken on that?

Yeah, so the dumpy teams like the Jags and the Titans are laughing themselves silly..."Ha ha! Texans swept us, looked better than us, DID better than us, and they are drafting in the last few spots of round 1."

I don't know that there's a better draft position solution out there...but man it stinks to have finished the year 12-4, bust in the playoffs, and then you get rewarded by (drum roll, please) drafting in the last few spots of the first round.

I don't know what part of "Hey, whatever happens...it was STILL a successful season!" is true. I'm with you: It sucks pretty bad, in all actuality.

GP
01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm surprised that you are still here talking to the worst fans in the history of humanity.

oh yeah...":rolleyes:"

Oh yes. I forgot who it was that believed that our team will only be as good, or as bad, as its fans root, or don't, for said NFL team.

We need the NFL to stop doing the "wear pink" month for breast awareness. We need a new information awareness campaign for Illogical Proportion Syndrome.

IPS.

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
when it came to locking down home field advantage, playing two games instead of 3 to advance to the Super Bowl, and playing the worst playoff teams instead of the better playoff teams on your road to New Orleans....December mattered quite a bit.

Spilled milk & everything.

Let's move on.

Vinny
01-02-2013, 04:31 PM

Spilled milk & everything.

Let's move on.losing the top spot in the AFC and playing 3 games instead of 2 isn't "spilled milk". Accidentally pouring bleach on your letter jacket is "spilled milk".

GP
01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
This team needs to get back to the tried and true methodology of its past:

Enter the final three games well OUT of playoff contention, or maybe make it to where they need wins AND help from other teams, and then win those last three games and party in the stadium like rock stars...then draft in the top 15.

This whole "Doing awesome until the last few games of the season" thing is really not the recipe for Houston pro football fans to enjoy.

I prefer a more vintage Houston pro football product. My palate is conditioned to reject anything else.

Say Watt
01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Successful? VERY successful?!?! Please pass the blunt because I definitely need some of the diggity you have been smoking.

76Texan
01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
This team needs to get back to the tried and true methodology of its past:

Enter the final three games well OUT of playoff contention, or maybe make it to where they need wins AND help from other teams, and then win those last three games and party in the stadium like rock stars...then draft in the top 15.

This whole "Doing awesome until the last few games of the season" thing is really not the recipe for Houston pro football fans to enjoy.

I prefer a more vintage Houston pro football product. My palate is conditioned to reject anything else.

What is a "more vintage pro football product", may I ask? :good:

76Texan
01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Nevermind, you didn't include the Oilers, I presume.

GP
01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
What is a "more vintage pro football product", may I ask? :good:

You left out the "Houston" part of that line.

HOUSTON pro football product.

Vintage Houston pro football is being excited about potential, knowing that your dreams are bigger than reality's outcome. So you can talk about "what if" rather than "what could have been."

We've had fewer "what could have been" moments.

I enjoy the "what if" moments better. With "what could have been," you end up learning that you're as near to the trophy as you were back in the days when you were far away. I think it's time to salvage the old signature pic and replace the Cushing sig pic.

Thorn
01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
31 out of 32 teams will have a bad season. That's just how it works. Houston pro football fans have never had a good season, and aren't gonna have one this year either.

Just ask the 16-0 patsies or the 9-7 super bowl champion Giants.

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
losing the top spot in the AFC and playing 3 games instead of 2 isn't "spilled milk". Accidentally pouring bleach on your letter jacket is "spilled milk".

It's still the past, just the same. The important thing is next week.

Makes no sense in getting upset about... well, I was upset too. But that was 3 days ago. We'll be rock'n @ Reliant 3 days from now. Chances are we're going to lose the game, but I'll be damned if I give up before I lose my voice.

Vinny
01-02-2013, 05:08 PM
It's still the past, just the same. The important thing is next week.

Makes no sense in getting upset about... well, I was upset too. But that was 3 days ago. We'll be rock'n @ Reliant 3 days from now. Chances are we're going to lose the game, but I'll be damned if I give up before I lose my voice.
I'm not upset. My world centers around facts. Homers don't need such things so you should feel fine about the whole thing. I'm still pulling for the good guys though.

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Just ask the 16-0 patsies or the 9-7 super bowl champion Giants.

How about those dominant 2009 Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleans%20saints/schedule?team=NO&season=2009&seasonType=REG)?

Vinny
01-02-2013, 05:09 PM
How about those dominant 2009 Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleans%20saints/schedule?team=NO&season=2009&seasonType=REG)?

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97461

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm not upset. My world centers around facts. Homers don't need such things so you should feel fine about the whole thing. I'm still pulling for the good guys though.

It's a matter of which facts (http://http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2094405&postcount=26) you want to believe & what you think they mean.

Losing last Sunday does not mean we'll lose this coming Saturday. I don't think this is the kind of team that would lose 3 in a row. Haven't done it all year. (another one of those fact thingies)

Double Barrel
01-02-2013, 05:13 PM

Unfortunately, Matt Schaub =/= Drew Brees.

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Unfortunately, Matt Schaub =/= Drew Brees.

He's taller.

:kitten:

76Texan
01-02-2013, 05:26 PM
How about Dan Marino, who had a losing record in the play-offs and never did anything To write home about?

TimeKiller
01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm not a buyer of the 12-4 argument. The best lil' regular season team ever guys! Bag that. I'll base my ideas of their success on their post season record, starting with the Bengals. Yeah, 12-4 and HFA and all that noise, it's called the past and we ain't livin' in it. This ain't 1993, ain't the Oilers, ain't a bunch of regular season games. This is a big game and the Texans have thoroughly proven themselves unworthy of big games. All said, "if only Matt Schaub was healthy, that's a super bowl team" and what do we have now? Matt Schaub and that gigantic monkey on his back. A loss here is devastating. One win and one loss is equally troubling, to me indicating this team has hit it's peak. The least likely scenario by all accounts is them making even the AFC championship game. For me, it's probably a loss in the AFC game that is my minimum level of accepting the season as successful. If having Schaub would've put that team over the Ravens last year, what would be wrong in expecting the same thing this year....when they have Schaub???

I'm rooting for my team all the way but the last couple burns went deep. There was no way the Jags had a chance. Or the Lions. Vikings....Colts....and now people think we're about to go beat a Bengals team that's on the rise?

Vinny
01-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I don't think this is the kind of team that would lose 3 in a row. Haven't done it all year. (another one of those fact thingies)
yeah cause that is way different than losing 3 of 4

SheTexan
01-02-2013, 06:11 PM
I guess I look at it a little different than some of you guys. I just take one game at a time,, and try to keep it simple. I celebrate when we win, get irritated and pi*sed off when we lose, and then move on to the next game.. For me, we have had a successful season. I've watched some damn good football, watched us win games we probably should have lost, lose some, well two, we should have won, and watched one of the BEST defensive players to ever play the game set records for our team, as well as a resurgent of one of the best WR to ever set foot on a football field, and they BOTH belong to US, as well as a pretty good RB!! It's been an entertaining season for me, and that's what I pay for. SURE, I want it to continue through Feb, but, I don't regret one dime I've spent thus far on my team.

I have a competitive spirit, and that makes me continue to believe we can pull off four more wins. If I can't make myself believe that, then I don't need to be spending so much damn money on a game thats so unpredictable. Our boys let us down the past couple weeks. We're all disappointed, angry, sad, hesitant to believe in them, blaaa, blaaaa, blaaa! It didn't work out the way it should, but, it's time to move on. If we have one more game or four, we're better off than the Cowgirls and Titties, who are sitting at home wishing they were in our shoes!! I'm in the mood to celebrate ONE more win, ONE game at a time, until it's all over!!

PLUS!! I'm just not ready to give up my dream of a Texan/Niner SB!! I can hold on to that for at least 3 more days, maybe more!! It's my dream dammit, and I'm not ready for it to end!!:smiliedance:

mridge01
01-02-2013, 06:11 PM

Doesn't bode well

So what is this ravens fan trollling over here for anyway? They have their own issues.

pappy
01-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Regular season record is meaningless. Only successful if we go to the AFC Championship.

We must go to the , beyond afc champion for success .

GP
01-02-2013, 07:57 PM
How about Dan Marino, who had a losing record in the play-offs and never did anything To write home about?

What about him? He played for the Dolphins.

This is about the TEXANS.

What about Robin? He has skills, too, why isn't he the boss and Batman the sidekick?

And while we're at it, let's get to the bottom of another curious failure: Chocolate whipped cream-in-a-spray-can. I used to be able to buy it anywhere, then one day it's gone. From EVERY store. Nowhere to be seen, anywhere. Why? That's some bullcrap is what that is. Nothing better than chocolate flavored whipped cream in a spray can. And it's gone. Forever. Help, please!

EllisUnit
01-02-2013, 08:28 PM

I am hoping against hope that this team will be the anti-1993 Oilers who were also 12-4 but finished on an 11 game win streak only to get bounced at home in round one. Maybe we stumble in, but get hot. :D

We arent one and done yet, Let the race start before you crown a victor :)

EllisUnit
01-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Regular season record is meaningless. Only successful if we go to the AFC Championship.

WELL....thats why i made this for them

Bob Mcnair presents real men of Genius
...."Real men of genius"....

Today we salute you Mr. Conservative play caller
...."Mr Conservative ass play caller"....
While other coaches would pass on 3rd and 23, you run a draw
That they never saw coming
...."Never saw it coming"....
Nobody blows a time out better than you, and you know it
Cause who needs time outs when the games already out of reach
...."Out of reach"....
One lucky call and you get into Field goal, Even though you need a TD to catch up
Fans Boo you like your an idiot
Its because you are
...."Oh yes you are"....
So crack open that same old play book Bob Mcnairs guy
Cause your not calling the play
When there is an ask madden button there to help you
...."The Conservative ass play caller"....
FINE PRINT
"Gary Kubiak, Houston Texans Head Coach, Houston Texas"

Textan
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Honestly, I was a whole lot more proud of last years team than this 12 and 4 team. The turds laid on prime time embarrassed Texans fans to the core.
Coming out parties became hide in the closet parties after Green Bay and New England slapped us silly, not to mention a Vikings and Colts loss.
Barely squeaked by the Jets and Bears.
All is not lost; they shine in the play offs and this derailed train can get back on track.

mridge01
01-02-2013, 10:54 PM

...."Out of reach"....
One lucky call and you get into Field goal, Even though you need a TD to catch up
Its because you are
...."Oh yes you are"....
FINE PRINT

Nicely done. :handshake:

Texan_Bill
01-02-2013, 11:05 PM

...."Out of reach"....
Its because you are
...."Oh yes you are"....
FINE PRINT

Pretty much the second dumbest post I've read tonight!!!

Like Marv Levy once said (paraphrased of course) "If you start listening to dumbass fans..... you'll soon be a dumbass fan"!

Texecutioner
01-02-2013, 11:27 PM

Like Marv Levy once said (paraphrased of course) "If you start listening to dumbass fans..... you'll soon be a dumbass fan"!

Well since everyone has the dumbest posts you've ever read tonight, why don't you enlighten us on where all of the errors our in our thoughts? Show us the way oh wise one.

OilerTexan
01-02-2013, 11:28 PM
I just take one game at a time, and try to keep it simple. I celebrate when we win, get irritated and pi*sed off when we lose, and then move on to the next game..

Yes, that's what my family does. We grumble when we lose, and cheer when we win, one game at a time.

After each victory we go out to eat - all in our battle-red jerseys. (We call it a "Victory Dinner".) The matching red jerseys draw attention, and we revel in telling everyone about our victory. When we lose, we eat at home.

If I'm eating out this Saturday night, I'm going to be grinning ear-to-ear, talking about the great plays we just saw, and not really be worried about the Superbowl. No one is going to look over at our table and wonder if the Texans' season was successful.

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 11:53 PM
We must go to the , beyond afc champion for success .

& I may be delusional, but I think they can. I still think this team can win the Super Bowl. They need to get their collective heads out of their... let's just say the sand & into the game. From top to bottom. From the board-room to the mail room. All hands on deck......

This is life or death.... this is the play-offs.

DX-TEX
01-03-2013, 12:46 AM

...."Out of reach"....
Its because you are
...."Oh yes you are"....
FINE PRINT

Bravo!

EllisUnit
01-03-2013, 08:27 AM

Yeah I agree cause this one above is the first dumbest. Nicely done, like hitler once said

"Dumm ist so dumm macht. So konnen Sie mich am Arsch lecken"

He didnt really say that but you don't have to be an ass hole just cause your in a bad mood. Especially with all the dumb **** I've seen you post on here.

Hervoyel
01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
What about him? He played for the Dolphins.

This is about the TEXANS.

What about Robin? He has skills, too, why isn't he the boss and Batman the sidekick?

And while we're at it, let's get to the bottom of another curious failure: Chocolate whipped cream-in-a-spray-can. I used to be able to buy it anywhere, then one day it's gone. From EVERY store. Nowhere to be seen, anywhere. Why? That's some bullcrap is what that is. Nothing better than chocolate flavored whipped cream in a spray can. And it's gone. Forever. Help, please!

I don't really have anything else to contribute to this thread. I'd just like to say that I too am concerned about the missing chocolate flavored whipped cream in a spray can and think that something needs to be done about it. This country is going to hell in a handbasket and it's precisely because of things like missing chocolate flavored whipped cream in a spray can that it's happening.

There are kids in this country who will grow up never having experienced chocolate flavored whipped cream in a spray can and that's not the kind of America I want to live in.