PDA

View Full Version : Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Yes or no, simple question.

As a follow up, when did you lose that "faith" ?

I'm just trying to get a feel here. I don't believe the attitude towards Matt is as bad as what is being represented today. But I don't know if a lot of people recently changed their mind, or if all his supporters just don't feel like participating today.

I'll tell you where I'm at. I think Matt is capable. He's shown us, imo, that he can play at the level required to take us where we want to go. I've been puzzled as to why we haven't seen him play at that level recently.

That's the short story. If you want to get into my reasoning I'll be happy to share.

Rey
12-31-2012, 09:01 AM
lol...no

Playoffs
12-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Not behind that offensive line that didn't show up to play on Sunday.

EllisUnit
12-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Even when given time he still under throws or over throws his guys. And there is that deal where he has time and still freaks out like he is under pressure and folds up like a taco. Maybe the denver hit gave him PTSD or something but it is just sad to watch him at this point.

Goodwrench3
12-31-2012, 09:10 AM
I trust in Schaub.I think he's feeling the pressure of his first playoff game.when our o-line was good, he played well.

gafftop
12-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Faith????
Faith in him as a great human being, NO Doubt a resounding YES
Faith in him being average or above as a QB yes
Faith in him getting us to the SB Not really, too many physical liabilties which I don't see improving as he gets older

EllisUnit
12-31-2012, 09:19 AM
I trust in Schaub.I think he's feeling the pressure of his first playoff game.when our o-line was good, he played well.

Like in OT against baltimore, or Arizona a few years back, or like the jags game this year in OT and the Lions game this year in OT. The defense has bailed this team out over and over the last 2 years. They don't always give the offense a short field like they were to start the season I'm not so sure we are 12-4.

Our defense started the season as turnover machines, not anymore and we are now seeing that without a short field the offense is average or below at best.

Bearkat Texan
12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
I have no faith in this guy at all...and he isn't going anywhere anytime soon....

eriadoc
12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
I was one of those people clamoring for the Texans to go get Schaub, even before anyone thought it was possible. People just kept telling me it couldn't happen, and I accepted that. So when they got him, I was happy. Thought he was going to be worth the price they paid. We'll see what happens in the playoffs, but I feel pretty wrong.

I started to waver on him two or three years ago - whichever one where the offense scored 7 or fewer points in the first half for most of the season. Lots of other people kept pointing out what a great job he was doing int he second half, putting up a ton of yards, and I just kept noticing he was facing a bunch of soft underneath defense and putting his team in a hole to get to that situation. Since that time, I've noticed specific shortcomings a lot more.

When the man rolls out, has all the time in the world, sets his feet and launches a pass downfield that comes up woefully short of AJ (and this week James Casey), all the prior underthrows over the years, dating back to the very first 70-some yard TD to AJ vs KC, come back to my memory. He doesn't have the arm. He doesn't have mobility. He doesn't have the demeanor to rally his guys. He doesn't have the pre-snap recognition that a QB of his experience should have. And lately, he has really developed a couple tendencies that David Carr developed when he played behind a crappy OL. You can blame the OL if you want, but he folds under pressure.

I have no faith in Matt Schaub. Couple that wirth my complete lack of faith in Kubiak and you can start to understand why I have no faith the Texans will go to the Super Bowl this year. I'm hoping and praying they do. I'm doing all my silly pre-game superstitions. I'm living and dying on every play. But rationally, I have no confidence they'll pull it off. It's the difference between heart and head for me.

Rey
12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
I was one of those people clamoring for the Texans to go get Schaub, even before anyone thought it was possible. People just kept telling me it couldn't happen, and I accepted that. So when they got him, I was happy. Thought he was going to be worth the price they paid. We'll see what happens in the playoffs, but I feel pretty wrong.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I didn't know a whole lot about Shammy, but I remember going out to those first few open practices.

I was impressed with what I saw.

I don't think I ever overrated him, but I was initially happy with him as a starter but a lot of that had to do with the fact that we were fresh off David Carr. Hell, we were clamoring for Sage to start at the time.

But regarding Schaub, I gave gave him the benefit of the doubt through the first few season...injuries..bad players around him...

But the faults of his were still evident.

Now, I see him as a guy that would make a really good back up QB. But he's not being paid like that, so I just think we are in a tough spot.

Textan
12-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Houston we have a Schaublem.

scourge
12-31-2012, 09:38 AM
No, and yesterdays game sealed it. The last few years he has shown that he can't handle big games. I've continued to be a staunch supporter of him, though, and often have taken flak for it at work or with friends. But this 2nd 1/2 of the season has been pathetic, and I think most of it falls on him.

I honestly feel like that was a wake up call for me yesterday. Always admitted that he struggles when we need him the most, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. He has either under thrown or over thrown his receivers all year. He's an above average QB at best.

Though I'd want nothing to do with a player like Romo for Flacco, I can now say that I would take Alex Smith over Schaub in a heartbeat. Same with Rivers. Like others have said, though, we are probably stuck with him for another couple of years, and Yates is NOT the long term answer. Problem I have is that I think the 1st two rounds of the upcoming draft need to be right side of Oline, and bpa between WR and QB.

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 09:42 AM
I have no faith in Matt Schaub and the shortcomings of the OL only partially factor into that. There are plenty of QB's in the NFL who don't play behind dominant OL's. We have some kind of ongoing expectation that unless our QB is getting 5 seconds to make up his mind where to throw the ball our OL is somehow a disaster. QB's make plays behind questionable lines all over the league. The good ones make those hungry defenses pay. Schaub almost never does these days.

He chokes and that's not an opinion. It's a fact. His entire history as a starter is littered with one choke after another in big games. Time to find another QB and time for Matt to go backup somebody.

And Scourge is right, it's time to draft linemen because Schaub is not going to have us drafting in the high 20's in 2013 and 2014. Get the linemen now and start hunting for the QB after that. We'll be drafting high enough to get a good one.

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
I was one of those people clamoring for the Texans to go get Schaub

I started to waver on him two or three years ago

Thanks for your candor. Do you think there are more like you?

Surreal McCoy
12-31-2012, 09:50 AM
I have no faith in Matt Schaub and the shortcomings of the OL only partially factor into that. There are plenty of QB's in the NFL who don't play behind dominant OL's. We have some kind of ongoing expectation that unless our QB is getting 5 seconds to make up his mind where to throw the ball our OL is somehow a disaster. QB's make plays behind questionable lines all over the league. The good ones make those hungry defenses pay. Schaub almost never does these days.

He chokes and that's not an opinion. It's a fact. His entire history as a starter is littered with one choke after another in big games. Time to find another QB and time for Matt to go backup somebody.

And Scourge is right, it's time to draft linemen because Schaub is not going to have us drafting in the high 20's in 2013 and 2014. Get the linemen now and start hunting for the QB after that. We'll be drafting high enough to get a good one.

5 seconds? Exaggerate much? Yeah, thought not. :rolleyes:

jaayteetx
12-31-2012, 09:53 AM
I've noticed the under throws too and coupled with his lack of mobility and total inability to make a play when the play breaks down makes me question his ability to take this team anywhere.

eriadoc
12-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your candor. Do you think there are more like you?

I hope so, because my shift in opinion is completely based off what my eyes have seen. All too often, especially at the QB position, stats don't tell the story. His 4700 yard season was fluky and everyone knew it. It's why no one in the national media really gave it much run. The team was playing behind all the time, so they faced some "bend but don't break" defenses in the second half, allowing him to pile up some yards. And they were behind because he was atrocious in the first half. They've always struggled in the red zone, and the best success they've had there was based on Foster, not Schaub.

I didn't lose faith in the guy because he egged my car or something; I just watched every snap the man played for six years now. *shrug*

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 09:55 AM

I started to waver on him two or three years ago - whichever one where the offense scored 7 or fewer points in the first half for most of the season. Lots of other people kept pointing out what a great job he was doing int he second half, putting up a ton of yards, and I just kept noticing he was facing a bunch of soft underneath defense and putting his team in a hole to get to that situation. Since that time, I've noticed specific shortcomings a lot more.

When the man rolls out, has all the time in the world, sets his feet and launches a pass downfield that comes up woefully short of AJ (and this week James Casey), all the prior underthrows over the years, dating back to the very first 70-some yard TD to AJ vs KC, come back to my memory. He doesn't have the arm. He doesn't have mobility. He doesn't have the demeanor to rally his guys. He doesn't have the pre-snap recognition that a QB of his experience should have. And lately, he has really developed a couple tendencies that David Carr developed when he played behind a crappy OL. You can blame the OL if you want, but he folds under pressure.

I have no faith in Matt Schaub. Couple that wirth my complete lack of faith in Kubiak and you can start to understand why I have no faith the Texans will go to the Super Bowl this year. I'm hoping and praying they do. I'm doing all my silly pre-game superstitions. I'm living and dying on every play. But rationally, I have no confidence they'll pull it off. It's the difference between heart and head for me.

Bringing Schaub here was a good move. Carr was done and admittedly we now know that we had roughly the equivilent of Schaub in Rosenfels (ok, maybe Sage was a bit more of a risk taker) but we didn't know that at the time. Many people thought they'd seen future potential in Schaub, not just Kubiak. You have to turn that stone over and take a look and we did.

Didn't pan out the way we thought, time to move on.

Exascor
12-31-2012, 09:57 AM
I've always been a Matt Schaub supporter. He's on the team I root for. I support all the players on my team. I've never been a Matt Schaub fan though. I do think Schaub is good enough to win a Superbowl if the team around him (especially oline, defense & special teams) are really dominant. Last year the team fit that description. This year it doesn't. I just don't see Schaub "taking over" a game and winning it by himself. He's more likely to lose a game with a poor throw at the wrong time.

The Texans need a QB that has more. TJ Yates is not as good as Schaub yet he took over games and won them last year. I do believe in Kubiak & his system but...if Kubiak can't see that Schaub is holding this team back then they both need to go.

All that said, I doubt we have any better options for next season. Would any of us be willing to let Schaub go (trade or release) and go with TJ Yates or some other option (Michael Vick, Matt Flynn...)?

amazing80
12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Schaub is garbage, Im driving the Yates for qb in 2013 train.....ALL ABOARD

Dishman
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Good poll. I think I started losing my faith in Schaub probably in the games following this years Bears game. After yesterday I've just about hit rock bottom. It's a combo of his immobility, his less than rocket arm, and his penchant for giving on a play because of the first two.

Also, with the right side of the O line not giving him much protection I will say he's at least not fumbling when he gets crushed by the defense. The line isn't doing well and Schaub is not known as a scrambler or able to consistently extend broken plays or an escape artist. The weakness on the line has really exposed Schaub as someone needing ideal conditions to perform. It's not his fault about the line, but it does expose his limitations and liabilities as an NFL QB.

Dishman
12-31-2012, 10:07 AM

He's not straight-up garbage and we could in a worse spot with a QB. I feel like the mobility factor between Schaub and Yates is night and day, but Matt's probably the better decision maker still today. I would be interested to know how Yates has developed since last season, so maybe next preseason we get a sneak-peek.

EllisUnit
12-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Just sad when a rookie QB can look at a defense and call an audible/adjust the play, and we have a vet who cannot or is not allowed to do so. Manning and brady change about half the plays called at the LOS and this is why they can disect you. If Kubes calls a run play and the defense has no DBs in the game then schaub will still run the run play. I know that parts a little over the top but u get my point.

Say Watt
12-31-2012, 10:12 AM

Wow. Exceptional post. You just nailed exactly where I currently am right now as well, and you said it better than I ever could have said it. MSR.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
With the way this team is playing..how can you have faith in anybody except for JJ Watt & probably KJ at best....

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Just sad when a rookie QB can look at a defense and call an audible/adjust the play, and we have a vet who cannot or is not allowed to do so. Manning and brady change about half the plays called at the LOS and this is why they can disect you. If Kubes calls a run play and the defense has no DBs in the game then schaub will still run the run play. I know that parts a little over the top but u get my point.

We'll never know if Schaub could do that because he wouldn't dream of doing it. He does what Gary programs him...tells him to do.

If Gary wanted a QB who thought for himself he could have had Peyton Manning.

Enter "Could Not Afford Peyton Guy" in 3.....2.....1.....

But we'll be able to afford giving Matt $30 million guaranteed over the next couple of years with a fraction of the return on that investment with no problems right?

Thorn
12-31-2012, 10:26 AM
I've come full circle on Schaub. I started out hating him and the two picks we gave up for him. Then I changed my mind and thought he was Da Guy. Now I'm back to where I started, distrusting and disliking Schaub.

We're fixing to find out if he's playoff material. Hell, his damn backup has won more playoff games than him.

Rey
12-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Wow. Exceptional post. You just nailed exactly where I currently am right now as well, and you said it better than I ever could have said it. MSR.

I got him for you.

Nawzer
12-31-2012, 10:30 AM
I was never a big Schaub fan to begin with. I thought he was good enough but his success depends heavily on the system. At his age, he is what he is a guy who has made big mistakes in big games throughout his career. And we have to live with that for the next few years.

Porky
12-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Eriadoc said it best. That closely matches my thoughts so won't elaborate a ton.

I will say though that considering where we were at at the time, and knowing everything that has happened since, I still would make the trade with Atlanta. At the time, we had to have a decent QB, and considering the price tag on competent QB's, I think the 2 #2 picks was a decent trade. I would make it again. Our other options were fairly limited.

However, this season was Schaub's time to prove that the trade would deliver a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Instead, we find it's nothing but a field full of cow manure.

deucetx
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Also, with the right side of the O line not giving him much protection I will say he's at least not fumbling when he gets crushed by the defense. The line isn't doing well and Schaub is not known as a scrambler or able to consistently extend broken plays or an escape artist. The weakness on the line has really exposed Schaub as someone needing ideal conditions to perform. It's not his fault about the line, but it does expose his limitations and liabilities as an NFL QB.

This pretty much is my reasoning. It was the Jets game that first made me begin to question his ability to handle the load upon himself. It was a game the offense didn't show the efficiency we would expect going against such a hobbled team at that time. But I brushed it under the rug feeling he is just now learning what it meant to be in these situations.

Then came the Packers and my doubts rose. It began to seem just like the post I quoted, that Schaub needed everything in line to be functional out there. If your quarterback needs everything to be running by formula then you are in trouble. He needs to be able to be capable of adapting to the situation. Instead, as more teams stacked against the run and the right side of the line faltered, he faltered. He is a system guy and games are way too unpredictable in today's NFL to expect every single thing to go accordingly.

After the Ravens game it only got worse with inconsistency from the offense. There one week then looking out of sync the next. I began to wonder if he was capable of just dropping back and getting it done. Now folks can say 'Hey, the Jaguars and Lions game.' But look at that statement and those two teams. I would hope even a middle of a pack quarterback can come back on those two. But when the bright lights were on and across the field was a team of equal caliber or better he faltered....heavily.

And then came the Vikings. A good team but I don't think as talented as the Texans yet...we couldn't do anything and at home no yet. That cemented it for me that I was wrong when I toted Schaub as a top ten quarterback. Just look at the post talking of the blocking. We're saying he needs perfect blocking, consistent running game and better targets.

Sure sounds like the guy is needing quite a lot to be effective, doesn't it? Most quarterbacks in the league would be effective with all of that so what actually makes Schaub special? You want someone that when everything isn't perfect he is capable. Can we say Schaub is? At this point we don't have anything to tells us the answer to that question is 'Yes.'

But we can still hope something changes and the ship is righted with him and this offense. At this point hope is all we have so I'll take it, heh.

eriadoc
12-31-2012, 10:40 AM
I will say though that considering where we were at at the time, and knowing everything that has happened since, I still would make the trade with Atlanta.

Agreed. I'm not sorry they did what they did. He was worth a shot. I've just come to the point where I believe we've seen his ceiling and he's not the guy. *shrug*

Not everyone gets to be Tom Brady when they grow up.

Double Barrel
12-31-2012, 10:43 AM
This season is as good as it's ever going to get with Matt Schaub as our starting QB.

I hope you enjoyed the ride folks. :tiphat:

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Eriadoc said it best. That closely matches my thoughts so won't elaborate a ton.

I will say though that considering where we were at at the time, and knowing everything that has happened since, I still would make the trade with Atlanta. At the time, we had to have a decent QB, and considering the price tag on competent QB's, I think the 2 #2 picks was a decent trade. I would make it again. Our other options were fairly limited.

However, this season was Schaub's time to prove that the trade would deliver a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Instead, we find it's nothing but a field full of cow manure.

That's a tough one. Knowing where we are now I would not have made that trade. I think it was a good trade if you take into consideration what we knew then and what we had to work with but if you know there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow then no, you don't go that route.

Nobody out there that you like at the end of 2006? You go ahead and start Sage in 2007. There have been many opportunities to get QB's who could play since then.

eriadoc
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
This season is as good as it's ever going to get with Matt Schaub as our starting QB.

I hope you enjoyed the ride folks. :tiphat:

It was a good ride, just a really harsh landing is all.

Double Barrel
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
It was a good ride, just a really harsh landing is all.

yep. Sad part is that the harsh landing is not really that much of a surprise to many of us.

EllisUnit
12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
yep. Sad part is that the harsh landing is not really that much of a surprise to many of us.

I thought a landing means its over :) we haven't landed yet.

Say Watt
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
I got him for you.

Thanks brotha!

Double Barrel
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
I thought a landing means its over :) we haven't landed yet.

Yesterday was the landing. We just haven't come to a complete stop, yet. :shades:

Say Watt
12-31-2012, 11:21 AM
How in the world could anyone vote "Yes"? I haven't read the entire thread, but I don't think even one person has posted in defense of Schaub. Could someone who voted yes please come give your take and your reasons behind still having faith in Schaub?

Perki-Perk
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM

I wouldn't get on that train either...

Porky
12-31-2012, 11:27 AM
That's a tough one. Knowing where we are now I would not have made that trade. I think it was a good trade if you take into consideration what we knew then and what we had to work with but if you know there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow then no, you don't go that route.

Nobody out there that you like at the end of 2006? You go ahead and start Sage in 2007. There have been many opportunities to get QB's who could play since then.

Very fair points. Food for thought, but regardless what's done is done. Hindsight is always 20/20.

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 11:35 AM
I mentioned my reasoning in the first post.

I'll tell you where I'm at. I think Matt is capable. He's shown us, imo, that he can play at the level required to take us where we want to go. I've been puzzled as to why we haven't seen him play at that level recently.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 11:39 AM
How in the world could anyone vote "Yes"? I haven't read the entire thread, but I don't think even one person has posted in defense of Schaub. Could someone who voted yes please come give your take and your reasons behind still having faith in Schaub?

Extreme homer?....family member?............kubiak?........other than tha i've got nothing :shrug:

dream_team
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Extreme homer?....family member?............kubiak?........other than tha i've got nothing :shrug:

Do I have faith in Schaub being able to take us to the Super Bowl? Yes. Do I have faith Schaub can carry us to the Super Bowl if other aspects of the team is having a down game? No.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Do I have faith in Schaub being able to take us to the Super Bowl? Yes. Do I have faith Schaub can carry us to the Super Bowl if other aspects of the team is having a down game? No.

That's a totally different question all together b/c of the bolded word....deep down, you know that's not what the OP meant anyway..good for you nonetheless.

scourge
12-31-2012, 02:25 PM

If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure that right after the 2007 draft Kubiak made some comment about not thinking Brady Quinn would be there when we picked. (which would have been 9 before the Schaub switch.)

That makes a lot of sense to me that Gary would have drafted Brady. So looking back now, would anyone prefer Brady over Matt? With the right coaching Brady could have been a "decent" QB. Kubiak was also very interested in Kevin Kolb at the time. Neither may have necessarily ended up as an upgrade, but those were most likely the only three options they considered at the time.

None of those stand out as "what were they thinking?" Then again, had we taken Brady or Kolb we would have those extra draft picks back, and Kolb would've been taken later on, possibly in a trade down scenario.

Say Watt
12-31-2012, 02:45 PM
I thought this was a huge point LZ made in his blog:

Matt Schaub has saved his worst football of the year for the end of the season. Right now, he is playing football like the guy at the Let It Ride table in Las Vegas who is playing $5 per hand. You know that guy doesnít bet enough to win big. He wonít go completely broke because he wonít risk that last $20 bill in his pocket, but you also know that all heís doing is killing time. Heís not really gambling to win. Thatís what Schaub feels like to me right now.

rush2112mn
12-31-2012, 02:55 PM
I dont know about Schaub anymore....I think he has lost his swagger. Some of his passes.....are poorly thrown these days......I dont know if he can win a playoff game.

I know TJ Yates can....he did last year........just saying........

MEGA SWATT
12-31-2012, 03:12 PM
MS is weak, scared, and pathetic. He canNOT hit a receiver in stride in long yardage passes. He either overthrows or underthrows forcing the receiver to dive, double-back, or he gift-wraps a pick to the defender. He has a weak arm, he is not mobile, goes down at the slightest amount of contact. He is frustrating AJ and others --you can see it in their body language after MS craps a pass to them.

He is not a leader and I fear that my 5 yr old daughter could do better.

Anyone but MS.

Having said that, I welcome him to prove me wrong.

Double Barrel
12-31-2012, 03:19 PM
6 of the 12 playoff teams this year have either rookies or second year QBs starting for them.

Food for thought... :thinking:

michaelm
12-31-2012, 03:36 PM
No. Next question.

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM
6 of the 12 playoff teams this year have either rookies or second year QBs starting for them.

Food for thought... :thinking:

Texecutioner assures me this is not possible. Please check again.

mussop
12-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Texecutioner assures me this is not possible. Please check again.

Oooooo :swatter:

False Start
12-31-2012, 05:01 PM
I did earlier in the season, but as of now...no. :choke:

SheTexan
12-31-2012, 05:19 PM
I voted yes, but, with reservations.

I believe our problem is with Kubiak and Dennison. How do we know MS is not as frustrated with the play calling as the rest of the team, as well as most of the fans?? I don't know if Kubiak gives him a chance to call plays or not, or if he's going completely on what Kubiak calls from the sideline. IF Kubiak can't let him loose, trust him to make the right call, then we need to find someone he does trust, and if MS doesn't have the guts to override Kubes when he knows a play won't work, then that's on him and he needs to grow some "junk!". I know I see MS walking over to the sideline a lot, and looking to Kubes for direction. I'm just not sure he's ever had the chance to do his own THANG without having Kubiak or Dennison breathing down his neck! He should be calling all the shots, like PM and Brady, by now. He's been around long enough.

Goodwrench3
01-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Our biggest problem is Kubiak.Coward coach who does not enjoy the good players that have.Schaub is a good player and will surprise many people in these playoffs.God willing.

hradhak
01-01-2013, 07:38 AM
There are flaws on a lot of levels. This team is just not performing at the level it needs to. Schaub is definitely better than most of the QBs out there, but he's not Brady, Manning, or Brees.

Fine. I don't expect us to win when the entire team lays an egg. The defense has given up big plays, the offensive line has not been stellar, our receivers save for AJ have had terrible games. Schaub doesn't play special teams.

I expect Schaub to do a few things: protect the ball (pretty good), coordinate the offense (average), and make throws (inconsistent). I don't expect him to win when the rest of the team is playing terrible, and that's fine with me. I can only expect that of the aforementioned list of players.

powda
01-01-2013, 07:42 AM
I have faith that little green martians dressed like elvis will bungee jump out of the ceiling tiles and hand me golden apple seeds before schaub takes us to the superbowl.

TheMatrix31
01-01-2013, 07:43 AM
SIXTY-TWO "no"s and FOURTEEN "yes"s?

Dayum.

HJam72
01-01-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm not about to judge somebody's manhood just because they are not a top 5 NFL QB, nor will I call him pathetic over it. By that standard we are all pathetic, including anyone who says it.

Having said that, I'm ready to vote no. He's a middle of the pack QB, when it's all said and done, and I don't think it's a good move to just stick with that and be happy. Not in this league. The underthrows on long passes and a few other things are just getting too old and looking unfixable. I don't think his "leadership " skills would be in question by so many if he made more of those throws, but whatever.

I like the idea of drafting high on O-line and waiting for the right QB to draft in a few years.

beerlover
01-01-2013, 07:59 AM
yes

Matt Schaub holds almost every passing record (of the good kind) in Texan franchise history. Someone else must have liked him too because he still has another three years left on a contract he signed this past off season to the tune of $24.75 million guaranteed, $62 million overall.

powda
01-01-2013, 08:01 AM
I'll believe oj simpson is innocent before I believe schaub can lead us to a superbowl.

powda
01-01-2013, 08:08 AM
I'll believe with the help of LBJ, Kennedy faked his own assassination so he could live out his dream of being a potatoe farmer in Idaho before I believe Schaub can lead us to the superbowl.

powda
01-01-2013, 08:24 AM
I'll believe jerry jones and janis joplin conceived a baby named emmit before I believe schaub can lead us to the superbowl.

TheMatrix31
01-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Nice triple post, brah.

TejasTom
01-01-2013, 08:48 AM
As a former Matt Schlub* supporter, defender, apologist, I have to say no. He has lost me.

There was a stretch during the last game when I thought #8 looked like a real a QB. On the next play someone got close and looked for a safe place to lie down.

schlub /SHləb/ Noun
A talentless, unattractive, or boorish person.

Premier
01-01-2013, 08:56 AM
no.

powda
01-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Nice triple post, brah.

Well dayum. I can be vague sometimes so I wanted to make sure there was no confusion.

GuerillaBlack
01-01-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm not about to judge somebody's manhood just because they are not a top 5 NFL QB, nor will I call him pathetic over it. By that standard we are all pathetic, including anyone who says it.

Having said that, I'm ready to vote no. He's a middle of the pack QB, when it's all said and done, and I don't think it's a good move to just stick with that and be happy. Not in this league. The underthrows on long passes and a few other things are just getting too old and looking unfixable. I don't think his "leadership " skills would be in question by so many if he made more of those throws, but whatever.

I like the idea of drafting high on O-line and waiting for the right QB to draft in a few years.

And there goes Andre's career. Sucks we could never get him a competent QB. There have been many opportunities, but Schaub was just enough for this franchise. Real sad.

Nawzer
01-01-2013, 10:08 AM
More importantly, I don't think Matt Schaub has faith in himself anymore.

iLoveTexans
01-01-2013, 10:17 AM
The NFL AM crew has faith in him (over Andy Dalton).

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000120733/Trust-Dalton-or-Schaub-more

DX-TEX
01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Face facts: Its TJ TIME!!!

HJam72
01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I trust him over Andy Dalton & TJ, too, but I don't see how that's sayin' much. TJ needs to learn in a full regular season before just stick him in for the playoffs. He might become better than Schaub, but he's definitely not there yet.

infantrycak
01-01-2013, 11:17 AM
And there goes Andre's career. Sucks we could never get him a competent QB. There have been many opportunities, but Schaub was just enough for this franchise. Real sad.

I am not going to get into the whole Schaub debate but can some of the hyperbole get knocked off? AJ became just the 3rd WR in NFL history to have 3 1500+ yard seasons. I'm sure CJ will become the 4th, but c'mon he has been on that pace every single year with Schaub at QB.

Now step back from that for just a second - all the great QBs and WRs in history and AJ is the 3rd. Geez, give the guy competent and AJ's career has hardly been ruined by Schaub.

TEXANRED
01-01-2013, 11:21 AM

God help Matt Schaub if he loses to the Bengals after TJ Yates beat them last year.

SheTexan
01-01-2013, 11:21 AM
I am not going to get into the whole Schaub debate but can some of the hyperbole get knocked off? AJ became just the 3rd WR in NFL history to have 3 1500+ yard seasons. I'm sure CJ will become the 4th, but c'mon he has been on that pace every single year with Schaub at QB.

Now step back from that for just a second - all the great QBs and WRs in history and AJ is the 3rd. Geez, give the guy competent and AJ's career has hardly been ruined by Schaub.

Preach it Cak, but, these naysayers AIN'T gonna listen!! One day stats mean everything to them, the next day it's all out the window if it doesn't fix their train of thought! This board gets real comical this time of year.

CloakNNNdagger
01-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Florio has not exactly been Texans friendly. However, I find very little to fault in this recent piece.

Somehow, the Texans will have to try to win one or more playoff games with Schaub as their quarterback.

I write these words knowing full well that Iíll now be accused of ďhatingĒ the Texans, Matt Schaub, and/or his dog. But even his dog would admit that there are more than a few better quarterbacks in the NFL.

As previously pointed out, Schaub has not shown up this year in high-profile games. More recently, in eight quarters of action on which the No. 1 seed in the AFC was riding, Schaub threw a grand total of zero touchdown passes. His passer rating against the Vikings in Week 16 was a measly 72.1, which actually looks good in comparison to the 66.3 generated against the Colts in Week 17.

After starting 11-1, the Texans have now lost three of four. And now come the overachieving Bengals, who have won seven of eight games and who have a defense that will make it even harder for Schaub in his career debut as a postseason starter.

Thatís right, Schaub has no playoff experience on which to draw as he prepares to face Cincinnati, whose second-year quarterback played in a playoff game last year on Schaubís home field.

Though Iíll likely pick the Texans to win the game, it wonít happen because of Schaub, but in spite of him. And if I pick the Texans to hold serve at home, thereís no way theyíll be the selection when they return to New England.link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/pro-bowl-quarterback-becomes-houstons-weak-link-on-offense/)

Donnieman
01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Yes or no, simple question.

As a follow up, when did you lose that "faith" ?

I'm just trying to get a feel here. I don't believe the attitude towards Matt is as bad as what is being represented today. But I don't know if a lot of people recently changed their mind, or if all his supporters just don't feel like participating today.

That's the short story. If you want to get into my reasoning I'll be happy to share.

Here's the question you have to ask yourself Houston.
If we traded Schaub at the end of another one and done season, what would we get?
Probably a third or fourth round pick. And he wouldn't start for anybody,just another backup QB.
Me? I would trade him to KC for Eric Winston straight up, deal as best as possible with Yates and try to get Alex Smith.

Thoughts?

Mr teX
01-01-2013, 11:49 AM
If we traded Schaub at the end of another one and done season, what would we get?
Probably a third or fourth round pick. And he wouldn't start for anybody,just another backup QB.
Me? I would trade him to KC for Eric Winston straight up, deal as best as possible with Yates and try to get Alex Smith.

Thoughts?

Nah, roll with Yates..see what you really have there. Use that extra 3rd or 4th in a package deal to move up in the draft and get a young prototype guy to develop...worst case scenario is neither can play and it gets Kubiak fired and we start from scratch with a new coach.

mridge01
01-01-2013, 11:51 AM
What happened to the matt Schaub from the Denver game? That guy I can believe in.

mridge01
01-01-2013, 11:54 AM

At this point you've got to let Schaub continue to steer this sinking ship. It is his responsibility to save it or go down with it. Wouldn't be right to put that on Yates.

Lucky
01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
What happened to the matt Schaub from the Denver game? That guy I can believe in.

What happened to the team from the 1st half of the season? I don't have faith in any aspect of the team right now. I am looking for something to believe in but JJ Watt can't do this alone.

GP
01-01-2013, 12:22 PM
I think multiple years of these players having no-nuts Matt Schaub trot dutifully into the huddle, knowing the play call from Kubiak is going to be probably a very uninspiring play call, has worn on the offense's players.

The OL is uninspired. WRs, too. Probably even OD and the RBs too.

The QB can't rally them any longer.

And they know they can't do anything about it. They know they are stuck with a competent system that defenses are figuring out more and more as each week passes. And Kubiak's response is to obviously dumb it down even more for his "kids," but he doesn't know that the kids are men. Men with ideas and aspirations that have nothing to do with 3rd and long draw or screen (take your pick, it's the same play).

I think even the guys on offense feel bad for their teammates who are on defense. Like they know the defense is getting shafted routinely.

Kubiak is losing this team. He lost it in the Pats game, the wins vs Titans and Colts gained it back a little, and then losses to the Vikings and Colts, IMO, has placed this team in a playoff game situation where who the hell knows if the guys will rally for Kubiak or not.

The dynamic between the HC and his O-Coord is something I wish I knew more about. Like, I want to know if there are times in a season where Kubiak is taking over those duties or how that all works between those two. It SEEMS that with Kubiak's on-the-record statements about how he can change any play Dennison calls...it would be very easy for Kubiak to be sticking his finger in the pie more than he ought to. That's just me, though. I can see the urge for him to tinker with play calls more than he should.

Is the team uninspired because they know when a call comes in that it's a Gary Kubiak call...instead of a Dennison call? Is there division in the ranks? Often times when you have this level of meltdown, there's stuff going on that isn't be vocalized. And we all know how secretive the Texans are about this sort of thing. The Jets, on the other hand, they got a ton of players who talk openly to the media about all internal problems. Polar opposite cultures that, IMO, are harmful in their own unique ways.

gtexan02
01-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Schaub is good enough for our team to win the SB if plays well and the coach calls a good game.

GuerillaBlack
01-01-2013, 01:11 PM

I don't care about the stats. I'm talking about success in the playoffs. This whole thread is about having faith in Matt Schaub right? I have little faith that he will help AJ get to the big game and lead the Texans to a SB ring.

GP
01-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm watching two college QBs, Martinez for Nebraska and Murray for Georgia....watching both of them make plays with their arm AND with their feet when needed.

Both those guys look better than what we've got right now.

Schaub has to change his "right now" or else we're screwed for two more years.

Stats or not, Schaub's "right now" looks inferior to college QBs.

fiasco west
01-01-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm watching two college QBs, Martinez for Nebraska and Murray for Georgia....watching both of them make plays with their arm AND with their feet when needed.

Both those guys look better than what we've got right now.

Schaub has to change his "right now" or else we're screwed for two more years.

Stats or not, Schaub's "right now" looks inferior to college QBs.

Against College competition and college defense.

Schaub would tear those defenses apart.

Every player in the NFL was a great college player. I mean Arian Foster went undrafted...

Uncle Rico
01-01-2013, 04:01 PM

that guy had me believing too. fools gold.

powda
01-01-2013, 04:04 PM
that guy had me believing too. fools gold.

Dude, uncle rico has a better arm then schaub; he can throw a football all the way over them mountains.

EllisUnit
01-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I am actually surprised that many people have confidence in Matt Schaub, especially considering his play as of late.

GP
01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Against College competition and college defense.

Schaub would tear those defenses apart.

Every player in the NFL was a great college player. I mean Arian Foster went undrafted...

Christian Ponder had a field day against us.

A QB who has confidence can beat anybody anywhere. Our QB has lost confidence in himself.

I'd rather watch Yates or Keenum at this point. It's nice and polite and "wise" to say we should roll with Schaub, but honestly it's no longer entertaining.

This is supposed to be fun, entertaining, but with Schaub it's like watching a train wreck and being unable to do anything but watch helplessly as the carnage GROWS.

I want to be entertained. I don't want to feel like I'm watching the death of something.

BullNation4Life
01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Dude, uncle rico has a better arm then schaub; he can throw a football all the way over them mountains.

if only he got to play the 4th quarter....

http://www.dr4b.org/pictures/Baseball/Mariners/ND/unclerico.JPG

Uncle Rico
01-01-2013, 04:45 PM

I can also hit Andre Johnson in the face with a ribeye while he's riding a bike pumping Matt Schaub.

Put me In Coach!!

BullNation4Life
01-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Christian Ponder had a field day against us.

A QB who has confidence can beat anybody anywhere. Our QB has lost confidence in himself.

I'd rather watch Yates or Keenum at this point. It's nice and polite and "wise" to say we should roll with Schaub, but honestly it's no longer entertaining.

This is supposed to be fun, entertaining, but with Schaub it's like watching a train wreck and being unable to do anything but watch helplessly as the carnage GROWS.

I want to be entertained. I don't want to feel like I'm watching the death of something.

Keenum, would like to see what he can do in this system...He can also use his feet

DX-TEX
01-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Keenum, would like to see what he can do in this system...He can also use his feet

I hate reading this. Keenum was a spread QB in college and will amount to jack and **** in the pro's.

Nawzer
01-01-2013, 05:14 PM
if only he got to play the 4th quarter....

http://www.dr4b.org/pictures/Baseball/Mariners/ND/unclerico.JPG

I'm going to watch Napoleon Dynamite now.

powda
01-01-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm going to watch Napoleon Dynamite now.

Not only can he throw the ball a mile...he's way more mobile then schaub. You saw how he was running around that camper right?

Plus, if we signed him you know he'd cut the fans a great deal on Tupperware.

AndreJohnson's
01-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Please sub Yates in. That is all I want to happen.

Grungo_Taco
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
yes

Matt Schaub holds almost every passing record (of the good kind) in Texan franchise history. Someone else must have liked him too because he still has another three years left on a contract he signed this past off season to the tune of $24.75 million guaranteed, $62 million overall.

eeeeeeeeek!!! At least Double J was smart enough to wait until the end of this season to extend Romo :( :wadepalm:

Grungo_Taco
01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I vote "No". 1) He has novice pocket awareness. 2) He's afraid to take a hit (i.e. that straining face he ALWAYS makes when being tackled). 3) He refuses to audible, or maybe he struggles to read a defense (which i doubt because he is a smart guy). 4) He's more vanilla than Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream. 5) He does not go through his progressions. 6) Cannot throw to the sidelines, backside, or fade. 7) Below average velocity on balls thrown.

Whew, I feel better! But, it does not matter.. Like it or not, we are stuck with him for 2 more seasons, and Kubiak for at least one. Maybe the light will proverbially "turn on" this Saturday?

Textan
01-01-2013, 05:56 PM
How is it the Colts get one superstar QB and lose him after countless years of awesome game play, just to replace him a short time later with a young superstar QB........and the Texans go from a sh$tty QB to a not quite as sh$tty QB?
Can we get a damn QB here in Houston?

mridge01
01-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Please sub Yates in. That is all I want to happen.

What for. This is schaub's plane wreck. He needs to captain this vessel all the way to the mountain side. No reason to put that on Yates.

Grungo_Taco
01-01-2013, 09:24 PM
What for. This is schaub's plane wreck. He needs to captain this vessel all the way to the mountain side. No reason to put that on Yates.

I couldn't agree more with this. At this point in time, we have to live or die with old schaubby.

Rey
01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
How is it the Colts get one superstar QB and lose him after countless years of awesome game play, just to replace him a short time later with a young superstar QB........and the Texans go from a sh$tty QB to a not quite as sh$tty QB?

Good fortune and not being afraid to step out on a Limb.

Colts could have kept manning and passed on luck. They could have shown loyalty to Peyton. If they'd have brought him back they'd still be good. But they wouldn't have the young stud.

On the other hand, we didn't even give a second thought to picking up Peyton this off season.

How sweet would it have been to sweep the division and win in Indy for the first time with Manning. Getting manning would have been like the reverse curse. Luck probably would have been a bust, we'd have the number 1 seed, cushing would be healthy, barwin would have more sacks and we'd be the favorite heading into the play offs this year. LOL...

But seriously...we didn't even entertain the idea of picking up Peyton friggin manning. Because we had schaub.

Big risk big reward.

But if there was ever a time to take a big risk, it was last off season when you could have gone after Peyton fukin manning.

Nawzer
01-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Perfectly put. Rep coming your way.

This is not the time for T.J. Yates. It's either Schaub's time to step up or as you said fly straight into a mountain.

Rey
01-01-2013, 10:04 PM

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

But still, as sour as I am on schaub, he deserves (yes deserves) the chance to qb this team and prove himself in the play offs.

If he plays poorly like I hope he doesn't, then I believe we can't go into next season with schaub at qb. I would bring in Alex Smith if the deal was good enough. I'd then draft a qb within the first or second round. And then I'd start with Yates, Alex smith behind him, rookie qb, then Keenum.

And then I'd have it be an open competition with all spots up for grabs.

But I wouldn't trade schaub for winston. I think he's being overrated Now because of how bad our right side has been.

But if schaub doesn't work here kc makes sense for him.

beerlover
01-01-2013, 10:09 PM
eeeeeeeeek!!! At least Double J was smart enough to wait until the end of this season to extend Romo :( :wadepalm:

"NEWS FLASH"
Texans don't run their organization like Double J

Grungo_Taco
01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
"NEWS FLASH"
Texans don't run their organization like Double J

You got a point?

dream_team
01-01-2013, 10:12 PM

A lot of luck, no pun intended. It just so happen Peyton gets injured and lost for the season right before the best QB prospect in decades enters the draft.

Grungo_Taco
01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
A lot of luck, no pun intended. It just so happen Peyton gets injured and lost for the season right before the best QB prospect in decades enters the draft.

we can get a good qb without having a #1 overall pick. Kaepernick went in round 2, and russell wilson round 3.

macho grande
01-01-2013, 10:41 PM
MS is weak, scared, and pathetic. He canNOT hit a receiver in stride in long yardage passes. He either overthrows or underthrows forcing the receiver to dive, double-back, or he gift-wraps a pick to the defender. He has a weak arm, he is not mobile, goes down at the slightest amount of contact. He is frustrating AJ and others --you can see it in their body language after MS craps a pass to them.

He is not a leader and I fear that my 5 yr old daughter could do better.

Anyone but MS.

Having said that, I welcome him to prove me wrong.

Get out of my head!!!!

dream_team
01-01-2013, 11:14 PM
we can get a good qb without having a #1 overall pick. Kaepernick went in round 2, and russell wilson round 3.

True, we can get a decent QB anywhere in the draft. The odds of that QB being better than Schaub is not very good.

Also, in your original post, you asked how did the Colts go from superstar to another superstar. I don't think Kaep or Wilson have superstar potential.

DocBar
01-01-2013, 11:28 PM
No chance of improving the QB situation in the near future unless Yates or Keenum really steps up. I think Keenum could really excel in this offense. I just hope Kubiak has the balls to make a decision like Pete Caroll made with Wilson, after having paid Flynn the money. I don't see it, considering Kubiak's decision on Carr in '06. That cost McNair a cool $8 mil.

Grungo_Taco
01-01-2013, 11:35 PM
True, we can get a decent QB anywhere in the draft. The odds of that QB being better than Schaub is not very good.

Also, in your original post, you asked how did the Colts go from superstar to another superstar. I don't think Kaep or Wilson have superstar potential.

1) It was not my original post.

2) Kaepernick & especially russell wilson are ALREADY miles ahead of anywhere Schaub will ever be. TBH, your statement: "The odds of that QB being better than Schaub is not very good. I don't think Kaep or Wilson have superstar potential." just absolutely reeks of ignorance. I suggest you watch Russell Wilson.. He is the real-deal-mccoy. In fact, he should be co-rookie of the year along side RGIII. Good QB's can be had in round 2 & 3... but it's up to Smithiak to pull the trigger. There is a new wave of QB's flooding the league, we can either put our heads in the sand and ignore it, or jump on the train before the rest of the teams do.

dream_team
01-01-2013, 11:47 PM
1) It was not my original post.

2) Kaepernick & especially russell wilson are ALREADY miles ahead of anywhere Schaub will ever be. TBH, your statement: "The odds of that QB being better than Schaub is not very good. I don't think Kaep or Wilson have superstar potential." just absolutely reeks of ignorance. I suggest you watch Russell Wilson.. He is the real-deal-mccoy. In fact, he should be co-rookie of the year along side RGIII. Good QB's can be had in round 2 & 3... but it's up to Smithiak to pull the trigger. There is a new wave of QB's flooding the league, we can either put our heads in the sand and ignore it, or jump on the train before the rest of the teams do.

Maybe our standards of what a "superstar" is, is a bit different. Superstar QBs to me, are Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady... those guys. I think Luck has the potential to eventually be there too.

I do watch a lot of Kaep and Wilson, and I like them both, but I don't see superstar potential. If you do, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't mind Smith drafting a QB next year, in hopes to challenge Schaub for the #1 spot. I'm just saying the odds of getting someone (where we will be picking) probably won't be better than Schaub, but I'm all for taking a shot.

Grungo_Taco
01-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Maybe our standards of what a "superstar" is, is a bit different. Superstar QBs to me, are Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady... those guys. I think Luck has the potential to eventually be there too.

I do watch a lot of Kaep and Wilson, and I like them both, but I don't see superstar potential. If you do, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't mind Smith drafting a QB next year, in hopes to challenge Schaub for the #1 spot. I'm just saying the odds of getting someone (where we will be picking) probably won't be better than Schaub, but I'm all for taking a shot.

two words... tajh boyd. let him sit and watch next season, and after that take over and send schaub to the pine for the last yr of his guaranteed money. make it happen rick. :fingergun:

thunderkyss
01-02-2013, 08:44 AM

No, there's definite "superstar" potential there. However, there's no guarantee that they'll be superstars.

Look at Cam Newton. Take away the running game, take away the defense, make those guys beat you. However, Seattle & SanFran (& Washington) have good to great defenses, good to great running games. If the coaches can keep it up, that will give those guys time to mature & be great... ala Tom Brady (not that they'll be like Tom Brady, but Tom Brady had a great defense & decent running game to lean on before he "became" Tom Brady).

HOU-TEX
01-02-2013, 08:55 AM
We're stuck with him either way, so we're stuck like chuck

GP
01-02-2013, 09:02 AM
I hate reading this. Keenum was a spread QB in college and will amount to jack and **** in the pro's.

Yes, because the alternative is a guy who can't get past the line of scrimmage and routinely throws the ball at the feet of his receivers.

Let's go ahead and just settle for a known failure rather than risking a failure of a different type.

Wouldn't you like to see at least some ATHLETICISM out there? I do.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Good fortune and not being afraid to step out on a Limb.

Colts could have kept manning and passed on luck. They could have shown loyalty to Peyton. If they'd have brought him back they'd still be good. But they wouldn't have the young stud.

On the other hand, we didn't even give a second thought to picking up Peyton this off season.

How sweet would it have been to sweep the division and win in Indy for the first time with Manning. Getting manning would have been like the reverse curse. Luck probably would have been a bust, we'd have the number 1 seed, cushing would be healthy, barwin would have more sacks and we'd be the favorite heading into the play offs this year. LOL...

But seriously...we didn't even entertain the idea of picking up Peyton friggin manning. Because we had schaub.

Big risk big reward.

But if there was ever a time to take a big risk, it was last off season when you could have gone after Peyton fukin manning.

How could Matt Schaub have a Q score of 7? The average NFL player who makes the list has a score of 15. Peyton Manning's is 32. Now, it should be noted that the study, conducted by Marketing Evaluations, Inc., was done before the season. It should also be noted that only 56 percent of sports fans from this same study even recognize Schaub.

But Schaub doesn't worry about these things. He doesn't seem fazed by much of anything. There was the time last spring when a number of teams were courting Manning, and Texans coach Gary Kubiak texted his quarterback and asked him to pick up the future Hall of Fame quarterback at the airport. Kubiak was kidding, but that's not exactly the type of thing you joke about via text. Manning was causing insecurity complexes all over the league last spring.

Schaub said he simply laughed and texted, "I'll send him back to Terminal C."

Manning doesn't fit the system!! lulz

Hervoyel
01-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Totally stuck with him HOU-TEX.

That's fine. Next year we'll see what happens because we have no choice. Doesn't change the fact that this season the situation has begun to unravel. People like Schaub but people liked David Carr too. What was not to like? He was a likeable guy. They still eventually turned on him and this year Schaub's picked up a few more boo-birds. He already had a few but the wins keep them down. We roll out an 8-8 or 9-7 next year and he plays poorly, it will be on. People are pointing out issues that some of us have been worried about since he first got here.

Go one and done in the playoffs and he'll be blasted for it if it comes down to his play or some significant portion of it. He ends up being the goat in a loss and it will be take longer to fester but it will blow up tens times worse than Jacoby Jones.

Gary will stand his ground but you saw how ugly it got here when Houston was done with David Carr. It can get that ugly with Matt Schaub. It will just take a few more seasons to happen.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Totally stuck with him HOU-TEX.

That's fine. Next year we'll see what happens because we have no choice. Doesn't change the fact that this season the situation has begun to unravel. People like Schaub but people liked David Carr too. What was not to like? He was a likeable guy. They still eventually turned on him and this year Schaub's picked up a few more boo-birds. He already had a few but the wins keep them down. We roll out an 8-8 or 9-7 next year and he plays poorly, it will be on. People are pointing out issues that some of us have been worried about since he first got here.

Go one and done in the playoffs and he'll be blasted for it if it comes down to his play or some significant portion of it. He ends up being the goat in a loss and it will be take longer to fester but it will blow up tens times worse than Jacoby Jones.

Gary will stand his ground but you saw how ugly it got here when Houston was done with David Carr. It can get that ugly with Matt Schaub. It will just take a few more seasons to happen.

I don't know if it will take a few more seasons. People were making fun of Schaub after his baby faces he made during the Packers game. The fact that there are so many young QBs coming into the league now and having success, I think there will be a quicker backlash than when Carr was here. I still get shivers when I think of Yates scrambling for that first down in Cincy. People know Schaub does not have something like that in him. If it isn't there and the receiver isn't open, the play is over with that guy. It sucks.

Kaiser Toro
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
I voted no, but David Carr should only be in comparative conversations to Jamarcus Russell and Tim Couch. These are historically bad QBs who contributed to the decline of their respective franchises for years.

We may have seen the best of Schaub, but we just need him to be good a couple of times - once in the playoffs. I ain't holding my breath, but I have seen wackier things happen.

Carr would never have been good in the NFL, unless they had a 7 on 7 league.

HOU-TEX
01-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I voted no, but David Carr should only be in comparative conversations to Jamarcus Russell and Tim Couch. These are historically bad QBs who contributed to the decline of their respective franchises for years.

We may have seen the best of Schaub, but we just need him to be good a couple of times - once in the playoffs. I ain't holding my breath, but I have seen wackier things happen.

Carr would never have been good in the NFL, unless they had a 7 on 7 league.

Pffft! Dude would still find a way to run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage or fire a missle towards the cheerleaders or cameramen

Double Barrel
01-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Warren Moon (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoonWa00.htm) had beautiful stats, too. :fingergun:

We're stuck with him either way, so we're stuck like chuck

yep. It does not matter how much or how little "faith" Texans fans have in Schaub. The simple fact of the matter is that his HC has all the faith in the world, and that's the only guy that matters. Couple that with a long-term contract, and we had better be prepared to settle in for the long haul with Schaub as our QB.

Just like the Oilers and Warren Moon.

Hervoyel
01-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Warren Moon (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoonWa00.htm) had beautiful stats, too. :fingergun:

yep. It does not matter how much or how little "faith" Texans fans have in Schaub. The simple fact of the matter is that his HC has all the faith in the world, and that's the only guy that matters. Couple that with a long-term contract, and we had better be prepared to settle in for the long haul with Schaub as our QB.

Just like the Oilers and Warren Moon.

Barring an epic meltdown or major injury we've got probably two more years of Schaub absolutely starting. Then maybe we get to see someone else given a chance to genuinely compete with him.

IlliniJen
01-02-2013, 10:29 AM
No, I don't have faith in Schaub anymore. But the reality is harsh.

Reality: Schaub is statistically better than 2/3 of the league's QBs.

Reality: Schaub performs best when his OL is working well and the running game is successful.

Reality: Schaub cannot perform well under pressure and if the OL isn't working and the running game isn't successful, he can't put the team on his back and win.

Reality: 2/3 of teams would love to have him under center.

Reality: Those 2/3 of teams would soon come to realize that he's not a winner when things start getting tough.

Reality: Elite QBs don't fall off a QB tree.

Reality: We're stuck with Matty Nice for as long as we're stuck with Kubiak.

Reality: McNair won't get rid of Kubiak for a long time.

Reality: The "Fire Kubiak" thread will grow to 6,930,902 pages long by the time all is said and done.

HTown2ATX
01-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I said this in the gameday thread last week and I'll say it again...I defended HWNSNBM almost all the way up to the end and I don't want to look like an idiot again plus my giving a pass to an expansion franchise expired years ago so I'm a lot more quick on the trigger.

That said, I've got razor thin confidence in Schaub right now. I'll let the playoffs decide for me but this is probably it for me if he continues to $hit his panties.

Either way, as pointed out, we are stuck with him anyway. BTW, not sure if anyone realizes, that extension contract BEGINS next year lol! Nice :fingergun:

GP
01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Barring an epic meltdown or major injury we've got probably two more years of Schaub absolutely starting. Then maybe we get to see someone else given a chance to genuinely compete with him.

Back on Sunday that's what I said too.

We're stuck with Matt for 2013 and 2014. Period.

Only in 2015 will we see a potential change. I guess another injury to Schaub might alter that timeframe a bit, though (and no, for you flame war starters out there I don't want him hurt for the sake of a change).

How miserable is THAT? 2015. Two Thousand Fifteen. FIFTEEN.

Will I even be around to care by then? :fishing:

GP
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
I think Gary will go down swinging, go down with his ship, with Matt Schaub at the wheel.

100%.

Both of them will get their walking papers in a few years.

Andre Johnson will be retired by then, IMO. Or he'll move on and play elsewhere.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Pffft! Dude would still find a way to run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage or fire a missle towards the cheerleaders or cameramen

The funny thing is, if you put Schaub's brain into Carr's body, the Texans would have an awesome QB.

djohn2oo8
01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I don't know why people say Kubiak has complete faith in Schaub. He won't even let him throw it deep on 3rd and long.

Hervoyel
01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
The funny thing is, if you put Schaub's brain into Carr's body, the Texans would have an awesome QB.

I don't even know about that. Schaub's brain is still going to misfire when the pressure comes. I mean, it's possible but I don't think his issues are entirely based on physical limitations. Other QB's have succeeded without the "laser rocket arm" we all want them to have and some QB's have succeeded without a lot of mobility. The thing though is you have to be obsessed with preparation and have incredible competitive fire to succeed without one or both plus you still need to be able to stay calm and collected under heat.

Matt is missing most of that stuff.

dream_team
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't even know about that. Schaub's brain is still going to misfire when the pressure comes. I mean, it's possible but I don't think his issues are entirely based on physical limitations. Other QB's have succeeded without the "laser rocket arm" we all want them to have and some QB's have succeeded without a lot of mobility. The thing though is you have to be obsessed with preparation and have incredible competitive fire to succeed without one or both plus you still need to be able to stay calm and collected under heat.

Matt is missing most of that stuff.

A perfect example is Peyton Manning. No matter what Manning has, he'll somehow find a way to make it work. I think he can lose his right arm, but he'll still find a way to lead his offense to a TD.

ObsiWan
01-02-2013, 05:01 PM

You know, I've been thinking this as far back as '08 when used to have those Is Schaub fragile/injury prone or not "discussions". That was the one positive about Carr, he was a lot more durable than Schaub. Had a stronger arm too. IF he had just had Schaub's football IQ and a better work ethic.

For the record, I voted "no".
Pained me to do so because I've been a Schaub defender since he got here. Mainly because I was glad to see the other guy leave and I liked the study ethic Schaub brought to the table.

Also, for the record, I don't think Schaub is horrible as some of you have said. I just think he's "pretty good". Has good days and bad days. As long as we stay with Schaub, we'll have a shot at being a playoff team, but everything else has to go well too. He's not strong enough to hide a significant number of other "warts". By way of example, I point to 2010. A stellar/elite QB could have gotten us a better record than 6-10 even with that sucky defense (Brady and Rodgers did it). Schaub can be good, but not stellar or elite. He reminds me of Flacco with a less opportunistic defense.

I fear he's reached his upper performance limit. We either upgrade him or draft an All-World O-line. Maybe work on both.