PDA

View Full Version : Philip Rivers anyone?

TexansBull
12-30-2012, 11:25 PM
That seems to be the only QB besides Vick that could be available for next year. It seems San Diego is ready to start over. I was looking at the contract status for Rivers vs Schaub.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/philip-rivers/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

He is more expensive than Schaub, and it appears that Schaub's contact is more friendly dollar wise for the next two years. Given that would you want to trade for a 31 year old QB that is more mobile and has a better arm than than current 31 year old QB? Or do you suck it up for the next two years and hope to draft or trade for a QB? I don't see how it makes sense to pay Schaub $17million in 2015 if those numbers are right.

To me, IMHO, could have some left in the tank and a change could do him good. He seems to have more of leadership quality than Schaub but more of a douche attitude at times like Cutler. I would do a 2013 2nd round and 2014 2nd round and rework his contract for the rest of his 3 years, maybe extend to 4 years. Probably wouldn't happen, but I would try it. But then again, maybe that is why I am not a GM.

What do yall think? Would you try to go after Rivers?

Premier
12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
been bringing up rivers name in every post about getting a new qb.

midway
12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
I'd do it, I don't even care that he's a worthless human being.

Khari
12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Nooooooo...:cry2:

MistaRed
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
I'd be okay with it. He doesn't play scared.

mariowillshine15
12-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Yes please. His team fell apart around him due to a crappy GM and he's a fiery guy who could light a fire under our guys when needed.

stingray
12-31-2012, 12:08 AM
No way in hell the chargers get rid of rivers. No coach with any credentials like a cowher or gruden will come into a situation not knowing who their qb is. I think most coaches would agree that rivers is a top talent and can be a top 5 qb if he is on his game.

AndyWin
12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Won't happen but I would accept this with open arms. Rivers at least plays with emotion, passion, and has a sense of leadership

deucetx
12-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Highly doubtful Rivers goes anywhere. He had little in the way of weapons this season and still was decent out there. He is the one thing that could lure a prime coaching candidate to that job so getting rid of him would be a heavy risk.

Norg
12-31-2012, 01:00 AM
i would say yes cause i like Phill but my head says lets spend the money else were and just stick wit schaub if he plays bad next year just start yates but i do agree

we do need to find a young new QB and maybe a vet stop gap QB

ObsiWan
12-31-2012, 01:16 AM
No way in hell the chargers get rid of rivers. No coach with any credentials like a cowher or gruden will come into a situation not knowing who their qb is. I think most coaches would agree that rivers is a top talent and can be a top 5 qb if he is on his game.

Highly doubtful Rivers goes anywhere. He had little in the way of weapons this season and still was decent out there. He is the one thing that could lure a prime coaching candidate to that job so getting rid of him would be a heavy risk.

They pretty much summed up how I feel. Rivers is the main drawing card to get a quality replacement coach for Norv T.

Since Rivers is still under contract, that means a trade would have to be worked. What would we have to give up to get him?? A 1st and several 2nds? Multiple 1st rounders?? This would smack of a desperation move so the SD GM would be bargaining from a position of strength. I understand wanting to make a move, but finding someone in the draft would be more sensible and less costly.

Trap_Star
12-31-2012, 01:21 AM
rivers may be the only QB with a weaker arm than schaub in the league.

TheMatrix31
12-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Good God. No way.

ObsiWan
12-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Good God. No way.

Why not?

...other than we'd have to sell the farm to get him...

Do you think Rivers would have underthrown Casey like Schaub did?

TheMatrix31
12-31-2012, 01:55 AM
Why not?

I don't think he is very good and I cannot STAND him at all attitude/personally. Makes very poor decisions with the ball extremely often. Romo-esque. You might say "Schaub-esque" too, but Rivers is definitely more high-risk, Favre-like. He might be able to make the throws, but he makes way more bad throws than Schaub does. And this is from me, the originator of "Schaub's ****ty Throw of the Game (tm)"

Norg
12-31-2012, 01:58 AM
Tim Tebow anybody ...????/ LOL

i tell u this our run game will deff get better

TexansFight
12-31-2012, 02:59 AM
Philip Rivers has big time leadership skills, courage, and tenacity needed to be a big time NFL QB. A few years back he was in the elite class of QBs according to most NFL analysts. Rivers has the talent and personality to hold his own in a duel against another elite QB. Schaub doesn't. He played in the AFC Championship Game with basically 1 leg. I think he tore his ACL and STILL gutted it out. What I remember is how he played the entire game and LT who was also less severely injured did not take 1 snap in the game that gets you to the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately, we have an extremely stubborn coach and while dumping Schaub for Rivers is justified an any football metric, Kubiak will close his ears and shout "I'm not listening". We should have went after Peyton Manning but didn't because of Kubiak

Goatcheese
12-31-2012, 03:51 AM
Schaub is a better QB than Rivers.

They have the same weaknesses but Schaub is the better decision maker and student of the game.

He also has the superior crazy face:

http://uglyfours.com/storage/matt-schaub-scary-face-bp.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1290613729081

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dC0IVuO0vHc/TMWuQ3dQoNI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/9zVSODAXeBI/s1600/Philip+Rivers1.jpg

:hurrah:

mussop
12-31-2012, 06:19 AM
If you don't have an elite QB (and we don't by any means) and you have the opportunity to improve the position you do it so long as the asking price matches the quality of QB you are getting.

Something :kubepalm: wont figure out until he is unemployed.

Uncle Rico
12-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Mike Vick - 1
Tony Romo - 2
Tj Yates - 3

Rivers is a lateral move to Shaub

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 08:51 AM
He's just as immobile as schaub, and a gunslinging TO/fumble machine.

All we'd do is switch our qb issues from limited mobility underthrowing noodle armed passes to limited mobility river boat gambler dumb ass passes....

Goodwrench3
12-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Rivers = Romo

Playoffs
12-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Yeah, sure. Because San Diego is going to start Charlie Whitehurst next year. http://www.benjaminnyffenegger.com/resources/s/smiley_no.gif

GlenRice
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
It worked out well for the last charger starting QB that left.

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Won't happen but I would accept this with open arms. Rivers at least plays with emotion, passion, and has a sense of leadership

This. I'd jump at it but it won't happen. Nobody in their right mind would trade Rivers away to get Schaub.

Thorn
12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Rivers for Schaub? I don't know if it would be an improvement or not, but it would be a change. I don't think we would lose anything with Rivers, just not so sure we would gain anything either.

Porky
12-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Hell no to the dog killer.

We could always bring home our U of H ex.

I'm guessing the fans in Arizona are not too happy with him. :kitten:

ArlingtonTexan
12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Rivers for Schaub? I don't know if it would be an improvement or not, but it would be a change. I don't think we would lose anything with Rivers, just not so sure we would gain anything either.

Schaub, Rivers, Cutler, Romo are all in the "same dog different fleas" category. they are clearly not in the elite guys, and clearly better than the mutts of the league like Sanchez, and Cassel. The fans in other cities hate their guy as much as many Texans' fans hate Schuab.

Sometimes different is good; sometimes its change for change sake.

texanhead08
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Rivers ****ing sucks! Rivers has more turnovers than Vick since the start of last season. This season he threw 15 picks and had 15 fumbles.

Rey
12-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I'd take all those guys. At least those fleas bring arm strength and mobility.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Schaub, Rivers, Cutler, Romo are all in the "same dog different fleas" category. they are clearly not in the elite guys, and clearly better than the mutts of the league like Sanchez, and Cassel. The fans in other cities hate their guy as much as many Texans' fans hate Schuab.

great post...i think many here just don't understand this.

If it were Romo that had been here fans here would almost assuredly be complaining about his propensity to turn the ball over at the most inopportune time...see last night

If Vick was here, fans would be complaining about his inability to be a consistent pocket passer......& him being injury prone..

All of these guys have warts & combined with Kubiak's ineptitude and the fiery/*********gery of some of these guys, there'd probably be a little locker room turmoil too.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I'd take all those guys. At least those fleas bring arm strength and mobility.

Yeah, but their fleas are the size of that Taco bell dog...

Porky
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Apparently horseshoes really are a sign of Luck.

Damn, I'm jealous. :foottap:

scourge
12-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Mike Vick - 1
Tony Romo - 2
Tj Yates - 3

I don't think Rivers is anywhere close to All-Pro, but if you are wanting your starting QB to be one of those 3 you listed then you need to listen to advice from Lawrence Taylor. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHOQAT0-Mk)

mridge01
12-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Has it really come to this?

Wolf
12-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Between him and schaub, they have some interesting looks on their faces
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/philip-rivers-chargers.jpg

MEGA SWATT
12-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Rivers = Romo

this

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 03:38 PM

Note: Statistics appear here in liberal quantities due to the fact that every time someone points out that Schaub is a problem someone leaps out with a statistic they claim proves otherwise. Well, here's how Schaub stacks up to Rivers....statistically.

And actually MEGA SWATT, Schaub looks a lot more like Romo statistically than Rivers does.

I'd love it if the Chargers fans hated their guy enough to trade him for Schaub. A lot of this Rivers criticism is blowing smoke. I'd take that guy in a heartbeat over the gimp. He's a great deal more mobile than Schaub, he's got a lot more arm too. His TD/INT is 189/81 vs Schaub's 120/70 over the same period of time and he sat for two years to Schaub's three. 3 times Rivers has finished with a QB rating over 100, Schaub has never done it and never will.

Rivers has done his business while being sacked 219 times. Schaub who we all pity so much because of the abuse he takes behind our terrible line has been sacked 151 times.

Frankly there's no comparison. One guy attacks the other team and practically bleeds desire to win while the other slogs through the plays he's given like he's calf-deep in mud.

It will never happen but all these posts ragging on Rivers are ridiculous. Rivers will get out of Norv Turner Hell and be back on top long before Matt Schaub ever figures out how to hit a WR in stride.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Note: Statistics appear here in liberal quantities due to the fact that every time someone points out that Schaub is a problem someone leaps out with a statistic they claim proves otherwise. Well, here's how Schaub stacks up to Rivers....statistically.

And actually MEGA SWATT, Schaub looks a lot more like Romo statistically than Rivers does.

I'd love it if the Chargers fans hated their guy enough to trade him for Schaub. A lot of this Rivers criticism is blowing smoke. I'd take that guy in a heartbeat over the gimp. He's a great deal more mobile than Schaub, he's got a lot more arm too. His TD/INT is 189/81 vs Schaub's 120/70 over the same period of time and he sat for two years to Schaub's three. 3 times Rivers has finished with a QB rating over 100, Schaub has never done it and never will.

Rivers has done his business while being sacked 219 times. Schaub who we all pity so much because of the abuse he takes behind our terrible line has been sacked 151 times.

Frankly there's no comparison. One guy attacks the other team and practically bleeds desire to win while the other slogs through the plays he's given like he's calf-deep in mud.

It will never happen but all these posts ragging on Rivers are ridiculous. Rivers will get out of Norv Turner Hell and be back on top long before Matt Schaub ever figures out how to hit a WR in stride.

That's what cowboys fans thought when Phillips was let go...2 years later he's throwing picks at the worst possible time. he's been in the league long enough..we know what he is...a turnover machine.

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Throw Roethlisberger in there and check out his TD/INT ratio. 191/108. Is he a turnover machine? All of these guys are 2/1 or in that neighborhood but where things really get ugly is when they throw the pick. None of them are turnover machines but Romo is known for throwing the pick at the worst possible time. Schaub's getting there quickly.

htownfan32
12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Not Phil Rivers... but could anyone see us making a trade for Matt Flynn? Or even if you can't, would such a move be an upgrade to our offense?

Jeez... it's overreacting and probably a bad idea, but how much worse could we get with TJ out there? Seriously?

htownfan32
12-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I mean, we could either suck and lose (which we're doing now) or TJ might actually spark something in this offense. Say whatever you want about his technical skills, but TJ has more spirit than Schaub. And a QB with a broken spirit = a broken offense.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 04:11 PM
it ain't just the int's Hevry... the guy fumbles a **** ton too....15 this year alone.... about 7-8 on average....the only guy even remotely close is dirty sanchez...put that in perspective for a minute.

& a great deal more mobile? lol, have you seen this dude play hervy? He's got those dan marino brace legs and part of the reason he's throwing picks/fumbling all the damn time is he waits too late or he can't get out of the pocket fast enough and someone hits his arm......or he's just flat out gets sacked...dude isn't any more mobile than Schaub is......Now he may be a more willing runner than Schaub is...but more mobile? nah.

ArlingtonTexan
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM

I really don't care about this stat or that one. Rivers, like schaub, has been the QB of team that largely underachieved, especially in the playoffs and key games. His best years he had some combination Gates, Jackson ,and LT. Seems like all the other average to good QBs I listed, made better by the players around them more than they make players better.

fiasco west
12-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Rivers seems like a side grade to me...if not a downgrade since the guy fumbles more than a running back.

Truth is, it's going to be hard to replace Matt. I know folk think he doesn't have as much 'Fire' or whatever. Just look at the results please. I hate this 'Fire' or intensity thing. Guys don't show passion the same way.

It's like how some people say a certain basketball player has fire, some dudes are just quiet killers. Texan fans should know that with Andre Johnson on their team.

The results with Rivers and Schaub are about the same. Rivers has turned the ball over a lot more though...and that kills your team.

ArlingtonTexan
12-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Throw Roethlisberger in there and check out his TD/INT ratio. 191/108. Is he a turnover machine? All of these guys are 2/1 or in that neighborhood but where things really get ugly is when they throw the pick. None of them are turnover machines but Romo is known for throwing the pick at the worst possible time. Schaub's getting there quickly.

The key separation between Big Ben and Eli and those other guys is having made keys plays in the biggest of stages. they are way more flawed than the true elite Peyton, Brady, Brees.

ArlingtonTexan
12-31-2012, 04:59 PM
http://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Just for kicks, I did go the Chargers' forum. some these thread topics look way too similiar to stuff on this fourm.

utahmark
12-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Mike Vick - 1
Tony Romo - 2
Tj Yates - 3

I would take Rivers over your 1,2, and 3.

The Third Man
12-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Why not?

You should actually watch Rivers play the last two years before commenting. Rivers has been truly horrible and he's one the biggest *******s in sports. No thanks.

Hervoyel
12-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Assumption that I've not seen Rivers play is incorrect. Just because I don't draw the same conclusions from what I've seen that you do....

Fumbles, Rivers has 67 Schaub has 39. Granted Rivers fumbles more. He makes more plays too. The 2012 fumble list is interesting

Fumbles
1. Philip Rivers SDG15
2. Mark Sanchez NYJ14
3. Robert Griffin III WAS12
4. Michael Vick PHI11
5. Josh Freeman TAM10
6. Andrew Luck IND10
7. Cam Newton CAR10
8. Joe Flacco BAL9
9. Colin Kaepernick SFO9
10. Ryan Tannehill MIA9

That's a mix of guys you wouldn't want and guys you would love to have. Going through the years 2004 to the present there are a lot of good QB's on that list. Rivers doesn't appear on it any more than any o the others. I think people who discount Rivers just don't like the guy and that's fine but if that's the case just say it. It's not like i would happen anyway.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Assumption that I've not seen Rivers play is incorrect. Just because I don't draw the same conclusions from what I've seen that you do....

Fumbles, Rivers has 67 Schaub has 39. Granted Rivers fumbles more. He makes more plays too. The 2012 fumble list is interesting

Fumbles
1. Philip Rivers SDG15
2. Mark Sanchez NYJ14
3. Robert Griffin III WAS12
4. Michael Vick PHI11
5. Josh Freeman TAM10
6. Andrew Luck IND10
7. Cam Newton CAR10
8. Joe Flacco BAL9
9. Colin Kaepernick SFO9
10. Ryan Tannehill MIA9

That's a mix of guys you wouldn't want and guys you would love to have. Going through the years 2004 to the present there are a lot of good QB's on that list. Rivers doesn't appear on it any more than any o the others. I think people who discount Rivers just don't like the guy and that's fine but if that's the case just say it. It's not like i would happen anyway.

Its not that we hate the guy...its just many of recognize that all of this talk about these other qbs we could bring in to be better than schaub all have warts and are lateral moves at best......unless they're elite talents...talents that can overcome all of our issues....we're likely to be in the same situation just addressing a different issue we have with our qb......like other fans on these teams these qbs currently play for.

C Madd
12-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Between him and schaub, they have some interesting looks on their faces
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/philip-rivers-chargers.jpg

This picture always makes me laugh. I did find this one while looking for it, once. This is the stuff of nightmares.

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/nightmarelard.jpg

Texecutioner
12-31-2012, 08:38 PM
I'd take Rivers over Schaub.

However, that isn't and wouldn't be the kind of move that would make any big difference. The best years of Rivers are in the past. He was pretty damn good a few years ago, and all but every time I watched him his passes looked horrible which doesn't matter as long as they get there, but his play has dropped off quite a bit. I'd take Rivers over Schaub, but not by a long shot. We wouldn't be getting the Rivers from a few years ago. We'd be getting this version of Rivers that is on the decline most likely.

This is another typical thread where Schaub bashers have no real plan. There is no point at replacing Schaub unless you get a real replacement that can be our guy for a very long time. Rivers would most likely just be a stop gap QB that would prolong the process much further when he disappoints people after a season or so.

And did the OP really mention Mike Vick??? :kubepalm:

If the Texans are going to get a new QB, the best thing to happen would probably be to have a horrible season or two to find a top dog. Getting all these retread guys and other prospects with average to good potential is not a plan I'd want to go down.

Premier
12-31-2012, 10:38 PM
schaub without kubiak isnt in any of those guys league.. first you have to accept this. you say its a lateral move but based on talent, its not. you say they are turnover machines, well this system, is why schuab doesnt turn the ball over too much.

ask yourself, would schaub be schaub in dallas, san diego, philly? no he wouldnt..

powda
12-31-2012, 11:36 PM
I'll take the snotty attitude for the talent. Rivers equals 3+ years of playoffs for us and a true immediate upgrade at qb. That being said, we cant afford him and no way san diegio is letting him go.

HoustonFrog
12-31-2012, 11:50 PM
I don't mind the guys attitude at all. Fiery pricks don't bother be. What bothers me on him us his arm has looked shot at times the last two years. He loomed like he was shot putting a "P for K" on some throws. So I'm not sure he solves any issues except he is better in the fiery category and taking the pressure.

powda
12-31-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't mind the guys attitude at all. Fiery pricks don't bother be. What bothers me on him us his arm has looked shot at times the last two years. He loomed like he was shot putting a "P for K" on some throws. So I'm not sure he solves any issues except he is better in the fiery category and taking the pressure.

Ive seen a lot less of him this year admittedly, but his arm is light years better then schaub's...unless he's dislocated his shoulder, in which case they're about the same.

Mr teX
01-01-2013, 01:44 AM
schaub without kubiak isnt in any of those guys league.. first you have to accept this. you say its a lateral move but based on talent, its not. you say they are turnover machines, well this system, is why schuab doesnt turn the ball over too much.

ask yourself, would schaub be schaub in dallas, san diego, philly? no he wouldnt..

Yeah, b/ jake plummer, brian griese and rex grossman worked out so well for shanahan and kubes...surely the system would've help them not turn the ball over as much right?....oh wait, it didnt. Thrir biggest issues of turning the ball over still caused issues for their respective teams... Physical tools is only part of the equation...and its not even the biggest part. I also find it hilarious how u guys are so willing to give props to kubes as being someone able to coach up an alex smith, phillip rivers or god knows whatever other journeyman qb...

In any event, its pure guessing on your part that schaub couldn't be a productive qb in any of the cities u named under different coaches and systems..... but considering that andy reid had winning seasons with the likes of AJ Feeley and Jeff Garcia at various points in his tenure in Philly...i feel pretty confident that Schaub would've fared just fine there....but the reality of it is....

who the hell cares what he would be anywhere else...he's here and he's been productive.

You guys go ahead and fawn over combine measureables like san diego and countless others teams have done over the years via FA and the draft, only to set their franchises back years....i'll keep holding out for the guy that has the brain and decision making skills to play the position at an elite level...not some retread who's been in the league for more than a few years and has his own set of issues to deal with.

Bottom line is its relatively easy to upgrade at the position from garbage to good....it is consierably tougher to upgrade from good to great/ elite. The latter is where the texans are right now and none of these guys ya'll have been fawning over b/c they have better physical tools fit the bill.

Thr last guy we had at qb also had better physical tools too...didnt do whole lot for us though...

powda
01-01-2013, 01:59 AM
[QUOTE=Premier;2094162]schaub without kubiak isnt in any of those guys league.. first you have to accept this. you say its a lateral move but based on talent, its not. you say they are turnover machines, well this system, is why schuab doesnt turn the ball over too much.

ask yourself, would schaub be schaub in dallas, san diego, philly? no he wouldnt..[/

Yeah, b/ jake plummer, brian griese and rex grossman worked out so well for shanahan and kubes...surely the system would've help them not turn the ball over as much right?....oh wait, it didnt. Thrir biggest issues of turning the ball over still caused issues for their respective teams... Physical tools is only part of the equation...and its not even the biggest part. I also find it hilarious how u guys are so willing to give props to kubes as being someone able to coach up an alex smith, phillip rivers or god knows whatever other journeyman qb...

In any event, its pure guessing on your part that schaub couldn't be a productive qb in any of the cities u named under different coaches and systems..... but considering that andy reid had winning seasons with the likes of AJ Feeley and Jeff Garcia at various points in his tenure in Philly...i feel pretty confident that Schaub would've fared just fine there....but the reality of it is....

who the hell cares what he would be anywhere else...he's here and he's been productive.

You guys go ahead and fawn over combine measureables like san diego and countless others teams have done over the years via FA and the draft, only to set their franchises back years....i'll keep holding out for the guy that has the brain and decision making skills to play the position at an elite level...not some retread who's been in the league for more than a few years and has his own set of issues to deal with.

Bottom line is its relatively easy to upgrade at the position from garbage to good....it is consierably tougher to upgrade from good to great/ elite. The latter is where the texans are right now and none of these guys ya'll have been fawning over b/c they have better physical tools fit the bill.

Thr last guy we had at qb also had better physical tools too...didnt do whole lot for us though...

Wow. Funny how guys you mentioned like plummer,grossman, and greise all lead their teams to playoff victories despite being such miserable qbs (they were all 2nd tier/ 3rd tier talents to.) Schaub has yet to do that, so dont crown him. If you wanna talk about measurables and why people are ape**** for them go watch schaub on a deep pass or a bootleg...and it might make more sense to you.

Philip Rivers is anything but a journey man. For any doubters out there, take 30 seconds to look up his stats or watch a handfull of games before making such asinine comments.

Premier
01-01-2013, 02:11 AM
i would settle for a lateral move if the guy they brought in didnt have a tendency to disappear at the most inopportune times..

tex, idgaf what argument you provide to prove schaub is good enough to qb a super bowl winning team. i dont believe he is good enough. there are no number of stats, past situations that will make me believe in this guy. he is surrounded by so much talent and he is the weak link of this team. so while you provide arguments for beefing up the o-line, building elite defenses, and bolstering WR corps. i would rather cut ties and move forward.. we have a team on the cusp that will always be crippled as long as schaub is the qb..

TexansBull
01-01-2013, 02:22 AM
I'd take Rivers over Schaub.

However, that isn't and wouldn't be the kind of move that would make any big difference. The best years of Rivers are in the past. He was pretty damn good a few years ago, and all but every time I watched him his passes looked horrible which doesn't matter as long as they get there, but his play has dropped off quite a bit. I'd take Rivers over Schaub, but not by a long shot. We wouldn't be getting the Rivers from a few years ago. We'd be getting this version of Rivers that is on the decline most likely.

This is another typical thread where Schaub bashers have no real plan. There is no point at replacing Schaub unless you get a real replacement that can be our guy for a very long time. Rivers would most likely just be a stop gap QB that would prolong the process much further when he disappoints people after a season or so.

And did the OP really mention Mike Vick??? :kubepalm:

If the Texans are going to get a new QB, the best thing to happen would probably be to have a horrible season or two to find a top dog. Getting all these retread guys and other prospects with average to good potential is not a plan I'd want to go down.

my apologies to the above poster. Drunk posting gets you everytime.

Mr teX
01-01-2013, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Mr teX;2094208]

Wow. Funny how guys you mentioned like plummer,grossman, and greise all lead their teams to playoff victories despite being such miserable qbs (they were all 2nd tier/ 3rd tier talents to.) Schaub has yet to do that, so dont crown him. If you wanna talk about measurables and why people are ape**** for them go watch schaub on a deep pass or a bootleg...and it might make more sense to you.

Philip Rivers is anything but a journey man. For any doubters out there, take 30 seconds to look up his stats or watch a handfull of games before making such asinine comments.

Yeah, b/c shanahan clearly thought highly enough of grossman didn't he when he moved heaven and earth to move up and get RG3.....and then select cousins a few rounds later right?

I mean after all, grossman's got the rocket arm...he's mobile...and he's got playoff victories too right? I guess by your asinine criterion we should be going after a guy like mark sanchez then huh?

Lol, i've seen more than enough of Rivers to know that he's no more the answer to take this team to the next level than Schaub is...hell, the very team rivers plays for right now was at this nearly identical fork in the road back when he was drafted....the prototype rocket arm qb vs..the guy who wasn't quite as tall as u would like...not quite as strong an arm as you'd like but pretty solid and a guy that was going to be coming off injury vs. the young healthy guy.....well we see how that turned out. 1 guy went on to carve out a HOF bust, the other...well, he's still got a pretty strong arm lol!

The sad thing about the above is that teams go thru this all the time in the league and it almost never works out for them...get rid of the solid guy for the physical prototype or guy with the high ceiling b/c they feel like its the thing thats holding them back see brian billick and trent dilfer/kyle boller....jeff fisher and VY/steve mcnair. And countless other teams over the years that were sent into qb purgatory as LZ coins it...ironically, that move is the thing that either gets them fired or sets their franchise back a few years. like i said, its extremely tough to go from good to great in this league at qb....and you definitely dont do it by picking up guys that have a penchant for the turnover...

TEXANRED
01-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Hell no. Why would I trade one worthless QB in for another worthless QB?

powda
01-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Yeah, b/c shanahan clearly thought highly enough of grossman didn't he when he moved heaven and earth to move up and get RG3.....and then select cousins a few rounds later right?

I mean after all, grossman's got the rocket arm...he's mobile...and he's got playoff victories too right? I guess by your asinine criterion we should be going after a guy like mark sanchez then huh?

Lol, i've seen more than enough of Rivers to know that he's no more the answer to take this team to the next level than Schaub is...hell, the very team rivers plays for right now was at this nearly identical fork in the road back when he was drafted....the prototype rocket arm qb vs..the guy who wasn't quite as tall as u would like...not quite as strong an arm as you'd like but pretty solid and a guy that was going to be coming off injury vs. the young healthy guy.....well we see how that turned out. 1 guy went on to carve out a HOF bust, the other...well, he's still got a pretty strong arm lol!

The sad thing about the above is that teams go thru this all the time in the league and it almost never works out for them...get rid of the solid guy for the physical prototype or guy with the high ceiling b/c they feel like its the thing thats holding them back see brian billick and trent dilfer/kyle boller....jeff fisher and VY/steve mcnair. And countless other teams over the years that were sent into qb purgatory as LZ coins it...ironically, that move is the thing that either gets them fired or sets their franchise back a few years. like i said, its extremely tough to go from good to great in this league at qb....and you definitely dont do it by picking up guys that have a penchant for the turnover...

So your arguing schaub is the next brees. Ok.

Any qb with a better arm or better mobility cant be as cerebral as schaub. Ok.

We cant have schaub and a younger mobile qb with a better arm at the same time. Ok.

We should settle for an average to below average qb because all coaches who try to improve their qb position get fired. Ok.

Coaches with average to below average qb's dont get fired all the time. Ok.

Lot of really great thoughts from your post.:gun:

Hervoyel
01-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Its not that we hate the guy...its just many of recognize that all of this talk about these other qbs we could bring in to be better than schaub all have warts and are lateral moves at best......unless they're elite talents...talents that can overcome all of our issues....we're likely to be in the same situation just addressing a different issue we have with our qb......like other fans on these teams these qbs currently play for.

Just because you say it's a lateral move doesn't mean it is. Every system you can put a guy in can emphasize strengths or hide shortcomings. Different systems can work better with different warts so to speak. Schaub's lack of mobility is something that Rivers does not suffer from to anywhere near the same degree. Schaub's questionable arm isn't an issue for Rivers. Until you put a guy in a system you don't know if that's going to be a better fit for him or not. Changing the scenery helps careers every year. It's stupid to just write off the chance that it could happen here and it's sad to think that we're so locked into the handful of things one guy does well that almost no one is willing to entertain the idea of a change to try and better the situation.

infantrycak
01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Just because you say it's a lateral move doesn't mean it is. Every system you can put a guy in can emphasize strengths or hide shortcomings. Schaub's lack of mobility is something that Rivers does not suffer from to anywhere near the same degree. Schaub's questionable arm isn't an issue for Rivers. Until you put a guy in a system you don't know if that's going to be a better fit for him or not. Changing the scenery helps careers every year. It's stupid to just write off the chance that it could happen here and it's sad to think that we're so locked into the handful of things one guy does well that almost no one is willing to entertain the idea of a change to try and better the situation.

Not disagreeing with your change of scenery point but I will say Rivers' increased mobility is something of a mirage as he has been noted to have horrible decision making when flushed. For example he threw one of the most bone-headed pick sixes ever earlier this season - just threw it straight at a DB with no receiver anywhere around instead of just throwing the ball out of bounds.

Hervoyel
01-01-2013, 01:03 PM
I hear you. He's got warts too. Surely the same man who coached Matt Schaub into the guy who throws the ball away as soon as he can read the numbers on the pass rushers chest can help Rivers with this problem. I mean, he's Mr. Brilliant Coaching Guru right? Is a knock on Rivers that he's uncoachable?

Doesn't even matter. Never happening anyway. Done with this thread.

klockWork
01-01-2013, 02:02 PM
You guys arguments of QB like Rivers or Romo on our team will be bad because they will drag their flaws into play. If that is true then why even bother hiring coaches? What are the jobs of coaches? Why even bother implementing any kind of system when players will never change who they are.
If Matt Cassell never played for Bellichick in NE and all he has to show for his career is his atrocious numbers in KC then it's easy for anyone to write this guy off for being total garbage.

Any QB playing under Kubiak or Bellichick will not be the same QB as they were before. Whether Rivers becomes an all pro QB under this system is not at all ridiculous. Maybe he will in an extra year or two. Alex Smith, a once hopeless soul in the nfl, won a playoff game and almost lead his team to the SB the first year Harbaugh arrived and was having an all-pro qb rating numbers before his concussion in his second year.

Yeah, maybe having Rivers on this team, with his wild west mentality could sink this team rock bottom. Or maybe he's become that QB that really gets and understand this system and takes it to another level that Schaub could never do.

Either way it's a win win situation. Rivers exposes Kubiak weak coaching ability and gets him fire early or BANG. We got something here.

We need a wildcard like Rivers to run this offense. Schaub has hit his limits and is sinking fast.

Texecutioner
01-01-2013, 02:53 PM
my apologies to the above poster. Drunk posting gets you everytime.

Great, you really showed that you're capable of a rebuttal.

Have no idea if you just hate Schaub with such a senseless response like that. But to mention Vick after his 2nd horrible season in Philly where the entire offense fell apart under his watch with all that talent he has had to work with is really really funny. Vick is being flushed out of Philly, Rivers is an unwanted man in SD, but I'd probably rather have him over Schaub, but that isn't saying much at this point. You don't settle when you replace your QB. You go after a real franchise player. Rivers will most likely just be an average QB at this point.

Mr teX
01-01-2013, 03:03 PM
So your arguing schaub is the next brees. Ok.

Any qb with a better arm or better mobility cant be as cerebral as schaub. Ok.

We cant have schaub and a younger mobile qb with a better arm at the same time. Ok.

We should settle for an average to below average qb because all coaches who try to improve their qb position get fired. Ok.

Coaches with average to below average qb's dont get fired all the time. Ok.

Lot of really great thoughts from your post.:gun:

Wow.......this post...the reading comprehension.... just failure all over it...:hankpalm:

I tell you what, when you get tired of him tossing picks & forcing balls into double coverage with that rocket arm of his & getting sacked b/c he's holding the ball too long and can't escape the pocket...come join me in finding a young talent that can be elite....

Mr teX
01-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Just because you say it's a lateral move doesn't mean it is. Every system you can put a guy in can emphasize strengths or hide shortcomings. Different systems can work better with different warts so to speak. Schaub's lack of mobility is something that Rivers does not suffer from to anywhere near the same degree. Schaub's questionable arm isn't an issue for Rivers. Until you put a guy in a system you don't know if that's going to be a better fit for him or not. Changing the scenery helps careers every year. It's stupid to just write off the chance that it could happen here and it's sad to think that we're so locked into the handful of things one guy does well that almost no one is willing to entertain the idea of a change to try and better the situation.

& just b/c you say it won't be a lateral move doesn't mean it won't be either..i get all that. I simply stated why i feel it would & you and a few others disagreed.

But how many times have you heard teams players, coaches and other ESPN talking heads say that "they must win the turnover battle" or how they can look at who won the TO battle & tell who won the game or "he must take care of the ball to give his team a chance to win". In case you haven't put it together, TO's are kind of a big deal in this league. So bringing in a guy that's already prone to committing them as demonstrated over his 9 year career obviously isn't something that lends itself to taking us to the next level......imo of course. From a qb's perspective, turning over the ball isn't just a wart....that's a freaking goiter. & guess what? After 9 years in the league and NFL defenses having a book on him, Rivers' leopard spots are not likely going to change...

As far as the bolded, believe me i want to better the situation...i just really want to better the situation...like no question that we're better. Not trade 1 fatal flaw for another fatal flaw & i think that is the position of 90% of people who don't think much of this suggestion about Rivers. The other 10% probably just don't trust Kubiak to be able to coach him up....which with the way this board is towards him, or recent offensive swoon, can you blame them?

If we were to seriously entertain sitting/trading schaub, i'd honestly be more ok with seeing what we have with Yates rather than going out and picking up someone that has pretty much already established who they are going to be.

but hey, we can just agree to disagree

Uncle Rico
01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
if his knee wasnt all jacked up i'd be all over such a move, but he cant move around much better than schaub back there, even though his arm strenght far surpasses Schaub, his intermediate accuracy and decision making are suspect. lets not forget he did have the luxury of having LT back there for a long time, and the dude really opened things up in all aspects for that offense. we have that LT on this team and Schaub still cant capitolize.

powda
01-01-2013, 03:50 PM
The name of this thread is "philip rivers anyone." I'm not holding onto rivers as the only possible savior for this team just as my first post says (reading comprehension?) I think Rivers would do good here, but he's not the only option. I never suggested we shouldn't find a young qb, in fact it would be far more cap friendly.

come join me in finding a young talent that can elite....

Whoaaaa there tiger. Theres a line and I was here first.

Ben Frank
01-14-2013, 12:25 AM
I would take Rivers over Schuab! Sign me up

Norg
01-14-2013, 12:26 AM
sure why not but no way in hell SD lets him go that would be reallllyyyy stupid