PDA

View Full Version : Y'all like to blame Kubiak, but 3rd and 23!

Mr.Scarface
12-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Wade Phillips..........COME ON, MAN!

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Don't you know?

It's Kubes fault because the defense was like. "Offense isn't going to score any ways!"

tedr
12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, that play brings back bad memories of Frank Bush.

eriadoc
12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
That was a bad moment to be sure, but a couple things:

1.) The game was lost before that, abd everyone knew it. Hell, the defense and Wade Phillips probably knew they weren't going to get enough help.

2.) We've all watched Kubiak turtle up in that exact situation for so long that when the Colts made a play, the first person I was pissed at, just instinctively, was Kubiak. That play was not his fault, at all. I think it's just that he's built a reputation that enough of us don't like that when we see something like that, it pisses us off at the wrong person.

But your point is well taken.

TheIronDuke
12-30-2012, 04:30 PM
That was all Demps again, good thing we released Troy Nolan to play that scrub.

amazing80
12-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Nope, I blame demps, because he is the worst safety in nfl history

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Why was Demps even the only safety back?

I've said it in another thread and i'll say it again. If the Texans were to somehow grab a ballhawking safety they'll have a elite defense once again.

Manning is good and Quinn is a great SS...but I think we really need guys who can cover back there and then make QBs pay for even thinking about throwing that deep ball.

Playoffs
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
D-Line was manhandled & left the DBs hanging out to dry.

It's time for Wade to come up with something different. That Colts O-Line is nothing to write home about.

Iceman16
12-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Oh, yeah. That one terrible play. Which I'm sure had nothing to do with Kubiak having an entire game that he called poorly, but I digress. What of the defense's absent-mindedness on that play? The lack of effort? That says nothing of Kubiak? That's on Wade? Lol.

HJam72
12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Wade is not getting it done like last year, but our D could still destroy our O right now.

The right side of the O-line is crap.

Schaub is crap too, without perfect protection, which he ain't gettin'.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand....once again, I am made to feel that at least some of these games are RIGGED, not by the players, but by the referees. From the start, it's like you can tell that the announcers know it's rigged and who's going to win, too. Today's RIGGED story-line was all about Pogano (spelling?....whatever).

Mr teX
At this point i wouldn't be surprised if the offense showed up in the playoffs and wade's defense spit the bit...they've not been nearly as dominant as they were early on in the season

mariowillshine15
Awful coverage and an amazing throw Schaub wishes he could make.

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Oh, yeah. That one terrible play. Which I'm sure had nothing to do with Kubiak having an entire game that he called poorly, but I digress. What of the defense's absent-mindedness on that play? The lack of effort? That says nothing of Kubiak? That's on Wade? Lol.

How about all the offsides calls?

That is on Wade too and the defensive players but they ALWAYS get a pass and no one says a damn thing when the offense was one of the best in the NFL for a lot of Kubes years here.

Mr teX
12-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Awful coverage and an amazing throw Schaub wishes he could make.

Schaub made that throw last week to posey....

EllisUnit
12-30-2012, 04:39 PM

NO NO NO, we blame kubiak because all of our 3rd and over 12 yards will be screens or draws. We had something to play for today the colts had nothing, and what did we see besides the same old scared to lose instead playing to win kubiak.

GuerillaBlack
12-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Don't you know?

It's Kubes fault because the defense was like. "Offense isn't going to score any ways!"

Why do people say things like this? I don't think anyone blamed that on Kubiak, but if you could point out a single post where that was the case, that would be nice. Yeah, the defense gave up that big play, but they had been playing well all game until then. The offense has done it's usual dance since the NE game, and really before that. The dagger was already in the Texans' heart before the big play. It was just twisted then.

amazing80
12-30-2012, 04:40 PM

was it as far?

Nawzer
I agree. Wade's defense has been suspect and that was a back breaking play.

mariowillshine15

I missed it. They put the Cowboys game on instead.

Vinny
the downside of playing a one gap system with almost exclusively man coverage. Works pretty well when you have a good edge rush and big time linebackers. At the moment we have no edge-rush and linebackers that struggle in man coverage.

Premier
12-30-2012, 04:43 PM

lol

demps>>nolan

Lucky
12-30-2012, 04:43 PM
They we right. The offense never scored again.

At this point i wouldn't be surprised if the offense showed up in the playoffs and wade's defense spit the bit...
I'm going for door #3. The offense doesn't show up and the defense spits the bit.

Mr teX
12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
was it as far?

As far as the pass being in the air, schaub's was longer...but total play mo...hilton had YAC thst he tacked on to make the play longer than ours.

Ghostform
12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Its easy to blame this on Kubiak and i still do put a lot of the blame on him but the whole team in general is just in a total meltdown. Every facet of the game you can talk crap about. We gave up a special teams TD, We gave up the 3rd and long TD on D, and our offense has 1 TD in 10 Quarters. Oh and BTW we will probably have to play next week too now.

Meltdown.

EllisUnit
12-30-2012, 04:47 PM

Ialways preferd Nolan over Demps. He was always a good coverage safety and had a nose for the ball as well, sure demps jumps a few routes every now and then and looks down at his hands saying "why didnt you catch the ball", but other than that i would take nolans skill set over demps any day of the week.

Goodwrench3
12-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I have no doubt that some games are handled. against NE, the refs only harmed us, same thing today.Os teams of "media" always get what they want

Tailgate
12-30-2012, 04:49 PM
We were NEVER going to be the same on Defense after Cushing went down, but we still make enough plays on that side of the ball to survive. From that point on it was on the offense, and they are right now worse on offense than at any time I can remember under Kubiak.

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
They we right. The offense never scored again.

Offense drives down the field. Schaub throws a INT. Offense doesn't get the ball again.

Mr teX
12-30-2012, 04:51 PM
U just cant be that undisciplined when you're the only safety back there... And demps has done that twice in the last 3 weeks to the same team....u think brady and manning and flacco dalton wont see that on film? We're screwed.

mariowillshine15
12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
U just cant be that undisciplined when you're the only safety back there... And demps has done that twice in the last 3 weeks to the same team....u think brady and manning and flacco dalton wont see that on film? We're screwed.

Why is he back there anyway? Isn't our safeties Manning and Quin?

Is Quin moving up to play corner when teams go spread?

Lucky
12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Offense drives down the field. Schaub throws a INT. Offense doesn't get the ball again.
You're giving props for the offense turning the ball over? What if they did get the ball back? Schaub has led the offense to 3 TD drives in 4 games. How are the Texans going to beat anyone with that type of performance?

HJam72
12-30-2012, 04:58 PM
I know one thing: that pass on 3rd and 23 was a pass that Schwaubie cannot make and a gutsy offensive play-call that Kubiak will not make.

Corrosion
12-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Kubiak dropped a TD pass and threw two INT's .... and somehow gave the Dolts the ball back on a sack fumble (at best a fumbled lateral). No no , we dont want it , you keep it ....:overreact:

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
You're giving props for the offense turning the ball over? What if they did get the ball back? Schaub has led the offense to 3 TD drives in 4 games. How are the Texans going to beat anyone with that type of performance?

I didn't give props at all to anyone.

But people are trying to make Kubiak shoulder all of the blame and the Schaub INT had nothing to do with Kubiak. Offense actually played much better in the 2nd half and woke up. It was the special teams and defense that let the team down in the 2nd half.

bobbeaux
12-30-2012, 05:03 PM
the downside of playing a one gap system with almost exclusively man coverage. Works pretty well when you have a good edge rush and big time linebackers. At the moment we have no edge-rush and linebackers that struggle in man coverage.

new here, but i think this is the key to the def's problems . . . agree with most that play calling is killing us on off . . . ;)

Lucky
12-30-2012, 05:05 PM
But people are trying to make Kubiak shoulder all of the blame and the Schaub INT had nothing to do with Kubiak. Offense actually played much better in the 2nd half and woke up. It was the special teams and defense that let the team down in the 2nd half.
10 points in a half and the offense has awakened? How low have expectations fallen?

Showtime100
12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
new here, but i think this is the key to the def's problems . . . agree with most that play calling is killing us on off . . . ;)

Welcome to the board!

Watch out for all the negative stuff going on, understandable seeing how the Texans are playing NOTHING footlball, but anyhoo, welcome. I hope you enjoy it as I have. :)

Corrosion
12-30-2012, 05:09 PM
10 points in a half and the offense has awakened? How low have expectations fallen?

I dont really blame Kubiak for that at all ... The OL was pathetic. There were plays left all over the field as well.

On the play where Walter made a catch for a 1st down on 3rd and long , Schaub missed a wide open AJ , who would have walked into the endzone , and that was far from the only read he missed.

#80 dropped a TD ....

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Yeah when you look at the box score you can say that but lets remember the Colts ran about 8 mins off the clock in the 4th qtr and abused the defense to close the game out. Lets not even mention the 3rd and 23 inexcusable play that should never happened to a well coached and disciplined defensive unit.

Texecutioner
12-30-2012, 05:11 PM
I dont really blame Kubiak for that at all ... The OL was pathetic. There were plays left all over the field as well.

On the play where Walter made a catch for a 1st down on 3rd and long , Schaub missed a wide open AJ , who would have walked into the endzone , and that was far from the only read he missed.

#80 dropped a TD ....

AN entire O line plays horribly and that has nothing to do with Kubiak?? What the hell do you think he does Corrosion?? You've acknowledged that Schaub is playing poorly right now as well. You've acknowledged that the running game isn't clicking well either? At what point do you address the offensive coaching??

Sorry, but that's an entire offensive problem which goes back to coaching.

Mr teX
12-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Why is he back there anyway? Isn't our safeties Manning and Quin?

Is Quin moving up to play corner when teams go spread?

I don't know, but its painfully obvious that opposing offenses know when this dude is on the field...ditto for brandon harris. They're hardly throwing at KJ and J Jo....harris is getting way too many match ups against a teams #1....its obvious they see a flaw in wade's scheme and they're game planning for it.....meanwhile Wade's doing nothing but blitzing and continously leaving these guys on islands.

Showtime100
12-30-2012, 05:12 PM

#80 dropped a TD ....

That's when I just figured we were done. Done...Done...Done.

Who else has that happen to them?? Reggie Wayne drops nothing when a TD is needed in the worst way. Aah, FML.

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't know, but its painfully obvious that opposing offenses know when this dude is on the field...ditto for brandon harris. They're hardly throwing at KJ and J Jo....harris is getting way too many match ups against a teams #1....its obvious they see a flaw in wade's scheme and they're game planning for it.....meanwhile Wade's doing nothing but blitzing and continously leaving these guys on islands.

And people will continue to blame Kubiak for this as Wade's defense has been shredded against some of the most average QBs.

TexansRule1
12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
As I saw it, the key play of the game was the Indy kickoff return for a TD.

The offense came out strong in the 2nd half and scored 10 points to take the lead. Frankly, gutsy play I didn't expect from them. After the TD, they were driving effectively before the INT. Then, the D gave up the long pass (bad play by Demps...like in last Indy game) and the O could get nothing going after that.

Hence, blame all the way around.

Tailgate
12-30-2012, 05:14 PM
The kickoff return was almost poetic with how our ST have played this year.

Lucky
12-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah when you look at the box score you can say that...
I can say that because that's what happened. One TD drive with one red zone turnover does not a playoff offense make.

The defense did not play well enough to overcome the ineptness of the offense. The special teams favored the Colts today rather than the Texans as in week 15. The offense has been consistent in their suckitude down the stretch.

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
That ST return was huge for momentum.

When the Texans took the lead there was this hush over the building and it just felt like things were finally going right. Once that happened though....

I think it has been said over and over again. Marciano has to go. ST can't return anything, let go of a great returner because they can't block for him, and then constantly gives up TDs. They have been terrible quite simply.

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
I can say that because that's what happened. One TD drive with one red zone turnover does not a playoff offense make.

The defense did not play well enough to overcome the ineptness of the offense. The special teams favored the Colts today rather than the Texans as in week 15. The offense has been consistent in their suckitude down the stretch.

At the same time letting the Colts control the ball for nearly an entire qtr cannot simply be ignored and pushed aside and put on the offense.

mariowillshine15
12-30-2012, 05:18 PM

We miss McCain. He was bad but bad is better than unplayable.

HJam72
12-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Right now at least, it seems to me that we are the only team in the NFL that is still playing the same game on both sides of the ball that we played against whoever in week 1. We do not change. We blitz. We pass blitz and we run blitz. We also run, run, and then predictably pass or run, depending on the 3rd down distance. It also really helps that our QB is a statue who cannot move and will not make a throw that is not previously burned into his memory through tedious repetition. There is no part of our team that improvises, not only in-game, but in-season, save one glaring exception: our STs like to just F $^!+ up sometimes. They will block a punt or a kick; they will get one blocked, they will fumble, recover, open up like the Red Sea; they are unpredictable. Something has to be...

Kubiak is the Anti-Improvisor, Schaub is the Dis-providor, and Marciano is the Impotent-isor.

bobbeaux
12-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the board!

Watch out for all the negative stuff going on, understandable seeing how the Texans are playing NOTHING footlball, but anyhoo, welcome. I hope you enjoy it as I have. :)

thanks . . . don't worry, i've stalked this board off and on for awhile and am well aware of the negativity, but hey they gotta let off steam somewhere i guess . . . lol

Dishman
12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
That was a bad moment to be sure, but a couple things:

1.) The game was lost before that, abd everyone knew it. Hell, the defense and Wade Phillips probably knew they weren't going to get enough help.

2.) We've all watched Kubiak turtle up in that exact situation for so long that when the Colts made a play, the first person I was pissed at, just instinctively, was Kubiak. That play was not his fault, at all. I think it's just that he's built a reputation that enough of us don't like that when we see something like that, it pisses us off at the wrong person.

But your point is well taken.

Number 2 all the way. After watching screen or draw plays by the Texans, so much it became predictable by the fans, seeing the Colts with less on the line than the Texans make a TD strike on the same play is just too much. It speaks to Kubiak's aversion to risk almost to the detriment of the team.

ATXtexanfan
12-30-2012, 05:34 PM

lol how many fgs does it take to win on the road. dude phillips is fine. your HC and qb sucks. you gotta score points to win bro.

Showtime100
12-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Y'all like to blame Kubiak, but 3rd and 23!

Bad stuff going on in that play, top to bottom.

Fact remains Koobs has infinitely more to answer for than just 3rd and 23.

Dishman
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Its easy to blame this on Kubiak and i still do put a lot of the blame on him but the whole team in general is just in a total meltdown. Every facet of the game you can talk crap about. We gave up a special teams TD, We gave up the 3rd and long TD on D, and our offense has 1 TD in 10 Quarters. Oh and BTW we will probably have to play next week too now.

Meltdown.

Who is responsible for the whole team in general? Who is responsible for Marciano still coaching our joke of a ST unit? The players aren't executing any longer in any facet and are melting down. Kubiak has to do something about all of this as the HC. I'm sure he's been trying to figure it out, but so far the team is flailing at the worse time of the season. If it helps people sleep at night screw Dennison and Phillips, too, but Kubiak is in charge.

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Bad stuff going on in that play, top to bottom.

Fact remains Koobs has infinitely more to answer for than just 3rd and 23.

And so does Wade.

I'm tired of Wade just getting a pass quite frankly. Chad Henne tore his defense up and since then every QB has done the same.

Corrosion
12-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Number 2 all the way. After watching screen or draw plays by the Texans, so much it became predictable by the fans, seeing the Colts with less on the line than the Texans make a TD strike on the same play is just too much. It speaks to Kubiak's aversion to risk almost to the detriment of the team.

Maybe his aversion to risk is the realization that Schaub cant get it done ?!

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 05:49 PM
AN entire O line plays horribly and that has nothing to do with Kubiak?? What the hell do you think he does Corrosion?? You've acknowledged that Schaub is playing poorly right now as well. You've acknowledged that the running game isn't clicking well either? At what point do you address the offensive coaching??

Was it Kubiak that let go of the the right side of the Oline? Kubiak was stuck with young and inexperienced players on the right side of the line who...looking at who we have over there are playing better than what could be expected of them.

HJam72
12-30-2012, 05:51 PM
The D played well enough to win this game. The 3rd and 23 play was 5 WRs streaking in a straight line for the endzone and Luck throws a perfect pass just barely out of J. Jo.'s reach. The only safety not one-on-one with somebody was covering deep over the 3 WRs on the other side. They also got 7 points on Marciano's crap-fest of a special teams. God, where would our special teams be this year without Brahman?

1. Right side O-line SUCKS in run and pass.

2. Schaub SUCKED again.

3. Special teams, Luck, predictable offensive play-calling, AJ drops a TD, refs

GuerillaBlack
12-30-2012, 05:51 PM

When the Texans took the lead there was this hush over the building and it just felt like things were finally going right. Once that happened though....

I think it has been said over and over again. Marciano has to go. ST can't return anything, let go of a great returner because they can't block for him, and then constantly gives up TDs. They have been terrible quite simply.

Why couldn't Coach Joe be fired midseason? Is that against Texans rules or something? It's not like special teams was getting any better.

HJam72
12-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Why couldn't Coach Joe be fired midseason? Is that against Texans rules or something? It's not like special teams was getting any better.

Who would want to take over our STs in mid-season? :kubepalm:

mridge01
12-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Yep. I turned the game off as soon as Hilton was in the end zone.

amazing80
12-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Who would want to take over our STs in mid-season? :kubepalm:

you promote someone, its not like Gary will find anyone OUTSIDE the organization to fill it in the off-season, and if he does it will be an ex bronco with no previous experience

utahmark
12-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Yep. I turned the game off as soon as Hilton was in the end zone.

really?

mridge01
12-30-2012, 08:43 PM
really?

Yep. The texans scored one TD all game to that point, no way they were scoring 2 in the final 10 minutes or whatever. Shoot they didn't even score one.

Maddict5
12-30-2012, 10:46 PM
i dont think we have had an int since wk 13... not blaming the D for the teams poor performance when in reality theyve been the best of a bad bunch but just something i noticed

fiasco west
12-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Yep. The texans scored one TD all game to that point, no way they were scoring 2 in the final 10 minutes or whatever. Shoot they didn't even score one.

Just like had they scored there would have been no way the Defense stopped them to give the offense a chance...because the defense SURE had that opportunity and equally blew it.

Corrosion
12-30-2012, 11:28 PM

It boils down to getting beaten physically .... you cant coach that.

It aint the scheme , it aint the playcalling .... its getting your ass handed to you in the trenches.

Did you notice Brooks was playing RG .... thats because Jones wasnt getting it done.

TexanBacker93
12-31-2012, 12:13 AM
And so does Wade.

I'm tired of Wade just getting a pass quite frankly. Chad Henne tore his defense up and since then every QB has done the same.

I won't give Wade a pass, but....

You have to figure our D practices against our offense.

In practice, when looking at a 3rd a 20 type situation our D is used to seeing a bubble screen, a draw, or a short pass for 5 yards. They have to be wondering why the officials don't call a penalty for illegal pass down field in that situation once they get to a game situation.

4x4tx
12-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Kubiak never tries to make those plays like the TD luck threw on 3rd and long. Automatic draw or screen ie playing like a puss. Sick of it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 08:34 AM
NO NO NO, we blame kubiak because all of our 3rd and over 12 yards will be screens or draws. We had something to play for today the colts had nothing, and what did we see besides the same old scared to lose instead playing to win kubiak.

I like to defend Kubiak when I can, but on this one... can't do it. Rookie QB to rookie WR on 3rd & 23...

If Kubiak can't trust Schaub & Aj in that situation, we've got a problem. At the very least, he should trust Matt to throw it away & punt. Gaining 3 yards on a bull$cht draw isn't going to get you a better punt. Sometimes it makes sense. If you're backed in to your own endzone, it makes sense. But he does that, sometimes) on our own 30 yard line.

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
How about all the offsides calls?

That is on Wade too and the defensive players but they ALWAYS get a pass and no one says a damn thing when the offense was one of the best in the NFL for a lot of Kubes years here.

It makes me sick that a rookie QB can get our veteran defense to jump offsides so many times & I've only seen Schaub do it, maybe once. maybe.

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 08:39 AM

I love to dump on Demps as much as the next guy, but there were three WRs on the other side. If he was cheated to his right, Luck would have thrown it to his right.

I think it was Quin who couldn't run with Hilton. I also think Jjo was supposed to drop into a deep coverage but he sat on a short route that was well covered by a LB.

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 08:46 AM

Agreed.

They were playing our game. Gary ball up until then. We had took the lead, we were sustaining drives & putting points on the board. They just knew we were going to smother them.

That lasted all of 15 seconds.

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 08:53 AM
i dont think we have had an int since wk 13... not blaming the D for the teams poor performance when in reality theyve been the best of a bad bunch but just something i noticed

How long has it been since we had a lead? It's very important for our defense to play with a lead.

thunderkyss
12-31-2012, 08:57 AM
It makes me sick that a rookie QB can get our veteran defense to jump offsides so many times & I've only seen Schaub do it, maybe once. maybe.

Not only that. But remember when it was 3rd & 1 & Matt did the quick snap to pick up that yard? We end up getting an illegal formation penalty because we didn't set for 1 second. Then we don't get it & Indy declines the penalty.

Talk about fail.

Later, Luck gets us. He quick snaps it, picks up the first down. Then on a later play, he gets his guys to the line, sets for a second, snaps the ball & he gets us for 12 men on the field. We couldn't get our guys substituted before the snap.

Freak'n rookie.

HTown2ATX
12-31-2012, 09:04 AM
I'll say this, at least the Colts had the BALLS to actually throw DOWN THE FIELD when they had 3rd and longs consistently.

With the Texans, we had 1 drive where I almost shat my pants as Kubiak actually called an agressive pass on 3rd and long and it worked but guess what, same drive a few plays later he had some Seinfeld-esque shrinkage issues and called a nice, safe, little screen on 3rd and long.

Someone in the gameday thread tried to make a fuss saying "See how Kubiak passes but people still complain" but that is not accurate as we know in reality that kind of pass is basically a run play. What we would like to see is DOWN THE FIELD passes you know, somewhere near or beyond the down marker when needed.

THAT is on Kubiak along with oh so much more.

Maddict5
12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
I like to defend Kubiak when I can, but on this one... can't do it. Rookie QB to rookie WR on 3rd & 23...

If Kubiak can't trust Schaub & Matt in that situation, we've got a problem. At the very least, he should trust Matt to throw it away & punt. Gaining 3 yards on a bull$cht draw isn't going to get you a better punt. Sometimes it makes sense. If you're backed in to your own endzone, it makes sense. But he does that, sometimes) on our own 30 yard line.

its easy to dump on the D but lets face it, that was a great throw by luck, a reason he was taken #1 type of throw... & i think we all know schaub cant make that throw. schaub can thread the needle if its within 15-20 yds but he cant go deep like that (a reason we rarely see explosive TD plays from this offence). kubiak can scheme big plays using the rollout but when its just straight up throw the ball deep, the best we'll get is catch and tackle (ie it wont be laid out in stride for the wr to catch and take to the house like hilton did yesterday)

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
its easy to dump on the D but lets face it, that was a great throw by luck, a reason he was taken #1 type of throw... & i think we all know schaub cant make that throw. schaub can thread the needle if its within 15-20 yds but he cant go deep like that (a reason we rarely see explosive TD plays from this offence). kubiak can scheme big plays using the rollout but when its just straight up throw the ball deep, the best we'll get is catch and tackle (ie it wont be laid out in stride for the wr to catch and take to the house like hilton did yesterday)

As i've pointed out in another thread, Schaub made that same throw in the 1st colts game to Devier posey...the only difference is their safety was where he needed to be & made the tackle.

Another thing that's not really being talked about is our speed at WR. we've got AJ (who isn't even the same from even a few years ago) and that's pretty much it. Noone's afraid of Walter or Jean's deep speed. Posey for sure could take the top of the defense, but Kubiak just got him into the fold a few games ago...Martin

Rey
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
As i've pointed out in another thread, Schaub made that same throw in the 1st colts game to Devier posey...the only difference is their safety was where he needed to be & made the tackle.

No, the difference is that Andrew Lucks ball gets to it target a lot cleaner and a lot faster and doesn't allow the defense time to get there.

The WR catches a ball coming in hot and on target.

Most of Schaubs passes are "airy"...even his fast balls kind of float.

It's a lot easier to make up ground when you see the QB winding up and then when his pass doesn't have a whole lot of zip on it. Luck throws strikes and Schaub throws floaters.

And our speed at WR?

You've got to be joking.

Give me a QB that can take advantage of that speed and then we'll see what's what. What does speed matter if the QB is not going to hit guys deep in stride?

Kubiak probably doesn't call a lot of plays like that because he knows that's not in his QB's wheel house.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 10:51 AM
No, the difference is that Andrew Lucks ball gets to it target a lot cleaner and a lot faster and doesn't allow the defense time to get there.

The WR catches a ball coming in hot and on target.

Most of Schaubs passes are "airy"...even his fast balls kind of float.

It's a lot easier to make up ground when you see the QB winding up and then when his pass doesn't have a whole lot of zip on it. Luck throws strikes and Schaub throws floaters.

I agree for the most part...just think that too much is made of that particular throw when in reality, it's probably incomplete if demps' ass is playing center field like he should've been..

Rey
12-31-2012, 11:02 AM
I agree for the most part...just think that too much is made of that particular throw when in reality, it's probably incomplete if demps' ass is playing center field like he should've been..

Probably....

Defense has been underwhelming for a while now too.

I said this since game 1...If the defense didn't have Watt playing like an all time great they'd struggle.

This defense thrives on the pass rush. We don't have the OLB's to make this defense work against good passing teams. We can load up pretty good on the run when we put our mind to it...but man...pass defense is suspect at best...

Double Barrel
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
All four phases (offense, defense, ST, coaches) are in a slump right now. There is plenty of blame to be spread on both coaches and players.

No one aspect is losing these games. It's a collective effort to see a team consistently meltdown like this, and we've seen it in games and seasons before in this city.

Losing Cushing and having very lame seasons by many other defenders have really had a negative impact on this defense and revealed some philosophical deficiencies in Wade's system. He's not the genius we had hoped. Still a good DC when he's got an offense scoring points and the players to run his D, but there is clearly a breakdown in his system and scheme when they give up a 3rd & 23 for a friggin' TD in a "must win" game.

Porky
12-31-2012, 01:26 PM
The defense is the best of the 3 phases of the game for the past 6 weeks.

That's not praise for the defense, but rather an indictment of the offense and ST units.

Let's put it this way. If the Texans has played all season like they have in the past 6 weeks, this would be a 5-6 win type team, not a 12 win team. For all practical purposes we have a 6-10 team heading in the playoffs.

Double Barrel
12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
The defense is the best of the 3 phases of the game for the past 6 weeks.

That's not praise for the defense, but rather an indictment of the offense and ST units.

Let's put it this way. If the Texans has played all season like they have in the past 6 weeks, this would be a 5-6 win type team, not a 12 win team. For all practical purposes we have a 6-10 team heading in the playoffs.

I agree completely. I see teams with losing records showing more grit and determination playing week 17 games than our 12-4 Texans showed us yesterday.

76Texan
12-31-2012, 02:05 PM

If Kubiak can't trust Schaub & Aj in that situation, we've got a problem. At the very least, he should trust Matt to throw it away & punt. Gaining 3 yards on a bull$cht draw isn't going to get you a better punt. Sometimes it makes sense. If you're backed in to your own endzone, it makes sense. But he does that, sometimes) on our own 30 yard line.

It's true that we don't pass often on third and 15 (or longer); we passed only 8 times, with just one deep attempt.

It was a completion for 16 yards to AJ (and a first down) on third and 15, in the first Colts game (0:22 left in the third, from our 26).

From ProFootball Referecence.com Play Finder:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi?request=1&match=summary_all&year_min=2012&year_max=2012&team_id=htx&opp_id=&game_type=R&playoff_round=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&quarter=1&quarter=2&quarter=3&quarter=4&quarter=5&tr_gtlt=lt&minutes=15&seconds=00&down=3&down=4&ytg_gtlt=gt&yds_to_go=15&yg_gtlt=gt&yards=&is_first_down=-1&fp_gtlt=gt&fp_tm_opp=team&fp_ydline=&type=PASS&type=RUSH&is_turnover=-1&is_scoring=-1&no_play=0&game_day_of_week=&game_location=&game_result=&margin_min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards.

The Pats did attempt more passes, 14 out of 17 occasions; however, only one of them was a deep attempt, same as us, and it was incompleted.

That was in the fourth quarter of their first game against the Jets, with 4:37 left in the game, on third and 16. Welker was well covered along the left side line, Brady threw it long, with no chance for anybody to get to the ball.

Brady was sacked twice, which only made matter worse for them.

The only conversion was on a run by Woodhead for 19 yards, on third and 17.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi?request=1&match=summary_all&year_min=2012&year_max=2012&team_id=nwe&opp_id=&game_type=R&playoff_round=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&quarter=1&quarter=2&quarter=3&quarter=4&quarter=5&tr_gtlt=lt&minutes=15&seconds=00&down=3&down=4&ytg_gtlt=gt&yds_to_go=15&yg_gtlt=gt&yards=&is_first_down=-1&fp_gtlt=gt&fp_tm_opp=team&fp_ydline=&type=PASS&type=RUSH&is_turnover=-1&is_scoring=-1&no_play=0&game_day_of_week=&game_location=&game_result=&margin_min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards

scourge
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Nope, I blame demps, because he is the worst safety in nfl history

How long have you been a fan of the Texans? I ask, because apparently you don't remember Matt Stevens. Demps does not deserve to be on the field for any reason other than 3rd string out of desparation... but Stevens was even worse.