PDA

View Full Version : Does Wade Stay?

Lurvinator11
12-26-2012, 05:32 PM
This time last season, many of us were excited, but at the same time, scared by the idea that Wade might leave us for Tampa, or Oakland.

This season has been a little different. Defense hasn't been the same, ever since Cushing went out. Overall, it has been a good year, but not as strong as we were last year.

So, what do you guys think? Does Wade leave?

Or does he stay?

AND, who here wants him to stay or leave?

Discuss.

Double Barrel
12-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I want him to stay, but I would not be surprised if he gets a head coach offer.

Thorn
12-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I was torn between the 1st option of him staying and I like it, and the last option of "it doesn't matter". Both of those I agree with, because if Wade stays, we'll continue to have a good defense. If he leaves, the defense regresses because Kubiak has shown he won't hire a good defensive coordinator to replace Wade. So, I chose the last option because in the end, I just don't have faith in Kubiak.

ChampionTexan
12-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I want him to stay, but I would not be surprised if he gets a head coach offer.

I would have been mildly surprised to see him get a HC offer last year (and yes, I remember the Tampa Bay thing), but I'll be far far more surprised if it happens after this season.

rolyat93
12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Wade's average at best, I'll be happy with an upgrade.

He hasn't done anything special on the left side of the O-line anyways.

ubecool454
12-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Wade should follow Dom Capers lead and realize he is better as a DC and being a HC on brings more worrys.....but it brings more dough too.

amazing80
12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Wade was too old last year to get a HC gig, last I looked he didn't get younger, He ain't leaving

EllisUnit
12-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Wade was too old last year to get a HC gig, last I looked he didn't get younger, He ain't leaving

He had an offer, and an interview if i'm not mistaken it was him who had backed out.

EllisUnit
12-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Wade's average at best, I'll be happy with an upgrade.

He hasn't done anything special on the left side of the O-line anyways.

UMMMMMM Pretty sure the OP means Wade Philips, NOT Wade Smith :kitten:

Showtime100
12-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes He will, and I am okay with this. I suspect he's content being DC and likes coaching right where he is in Houston.

rolyat93
12-26-2012, 07:03 PM
UMMMMMM Pretty sure the OP means Wade Philips, NOT Wade Smith :kitten:
It was a very poorly executed attempt at humor.http://www.clutchfans.net/bbs/images/smilies/redface.gif

EllisUnit
12-26-2012, 07:20 PM
It was a very poorly executed attempt at humor.http://www.clutchfans.net/bbs/images/smilies/redface.gif

ohhhh haha my bad.

amazing80
12-26-2012, 07:20 PM
He had an offer, and an interview if i'm not mistaken it was him who had backed out.

He never had an offer, he was scheduled for an interview and backed out of that prior to our playoff game

Brisco_County
12-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Wade is an excellent DC. It wasn't his fault that the team lost the QB of the defense, and ILB suddenly became a position of weakness. Opponents also had more film to study this team, and he had to counter adjust. I hope Wade stays as long as possible.

MEGA SWATT
12-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Wade stays:toropalm:

ObsiWan
12-27-2012, 01:25 AM
This time last season, many of us were excited, but at the same time, scared by the idea that Wade might leave us for Tampa, or Oakland.

This season has been a little different. Defense hasn't been the same, ever since Cushing went out. Overall, it has been a good year, but not as strong as we were last year.

So, what do you guys think? Does Wade leave?

Or does he stay?

AND, who here wants him to stay or leave?

Discuss.

You've combined two entirely different questions in the same poll.

1. Will he stay? Are you asking if we think he'll get a head coaching gig?

2. Should he stay? Are you asking, that with the fall off in defensive production - outside of J.J. Watt - does he deserve to keep his job?

Which question should we address?

Ryan
12-27-2012, 01:30 AM
I still think the future of our defense is already on our staff in Vance Joseph. Hopefully he stays around long enough to eventually take over as DC.

steelbtexan
12-27-2012, 01:36 AM

^^^^
This

Lurvinator11
12-27-2012, 01:55 AM
You've combined two entirely different questions in the same poll.

1. Will he stay? Are you asking if we think he'll get a head coaching gig?

2. Should he stay? Are you asking, that with the fall off in defensive production - outside of J.J. Watt - does he deserve to keep his job?

Which question should we address?

I set up the poll asking if you think he will stay, but also do you want him to stay?

That's why there are 4 different answers (not counting the Kubiak one)

I'm just curious as to what y'all feel. Believe it or not, I have a friend who thinks he won't improve the defense at all next year.

Doppelganger
12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Wade's draw was he was a top tier DC. Last year was the time to cash in: took the Texans D from one of the absolute worst to one of the absolute best. The knock on him has been his second year Defense is not as good as year 1. Happened again this year.

If the Texans continue to give up big points in the playoffs, i don't think he gets an offer or an interview.

Double Barrel
12-27-2012, 10:04 AM
If our offense keeps playing lackluster and prevents us from winning the SB I believe he will get a HC offer ... from the Texans.

lol! I don't think McNair has it in him to do such a thing.

Plus, Kubiak has playoff + two years. He will be here as long as we go to the playoffs, and I figure he gets a two year buffer after the last playoff season before McNair even lights a match under his seat. (Unless we go 2-14, then all bets are off, but nobody wants to experience that hell again.)

Hervoyel
12-27-2012, 10:41 AM
I set up the poll asking if you think he will stay, but also do you want him to stay?

That's why there are 4 different answers (not counting the Kubiak one)

I'm just curious as to what y'all feel. Believe it or not, I have a friend who thinks he won't improve the defense at all next year.

Oh I disagree with your friend strongly on that. Bring Cushing back and have a healthy Joseph all year and things get pretty good again very quickly. I think the defense jumps up again if that happens.

NitroGSXR
12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
If Wade pulls what he did last year, I will want him immediately fired.

ObsiWan
12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Oh I disagree with your friend strongly on that. Bring Cushing back and have a healthy Joseph all year and things get pretty good again very quickly. I think the defense jumps up again if that happens.

Agreed. Plus we don't know who Wade has targeted in the draft to augment his arcenal. I can hardly wait to see how many picks we'll allocate to the defensive side of the ball. I'm hoping for a 50/50 split.

ObsiWan
12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
If Wade pulls what he did last year, I will want him immediately fired.

you forgot this...
:sarcasm:

....at least I HOPE you did

TexanBacker93
12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I think he stays and I think he deserves to stay. The D hasn't been as good as last year, but losing Cushing was a much bigger blow to that side of the ball than losing Mario last year.

Joseph has been hurt this year and even in some of the games he's played it was apparent that he wasn't 100%.

Reed missed most of 4 games.

Barwin hasn't been half the player he was last year.

Cody missed time with an injury.

We had at least one game where we were missing 3 of our top 4 CBs.

Through all that, we are still a top 10 D.

Could they have played better? Yeah. I think some of the struggles were because of stretches of game where the offense couldn't generate a first down and the D was forced onto the field without a rest and with the opponent already in good field position.

NitroGSXR
12-27-2012, 01:01 PM
you forgot this...
:sarcasm:

....at least I HOPE you did

EFF NO! I meant it! Do you want a coach who plays ying yang with your heart in the midst of a playoff run? What he did last year was tacky, classless, and selfish.

As a person, I understand what he did but as a fan... I DO NOT!

ObsiWan
12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
EFF NO! I meant it! Do you want a coach who plays ying yang with your heart in the midst of a playoff run? What he did last year was tacky, classless, and selfish.

As a person, I understand what he did but as a fan... I DO NOT!

Whutchutalkin' 'bout, Willis???

kiwitexansfan
12-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Your last poll option makes no sense.

"Doesn't matter if he stays or goes, this team won't be the same as long as Kubiak is here."

If Kubiak is here doesn't every thing stay the same and that is what all the Kubiak-haters have an issue with? A consistent, conservative, good natured, (successful) team.

Lurvinator11
12-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Your last poll option makes no sense.

"Doesn't matter if he stays or goes, this team won't be the same as long as Kubiak is here."

If Kubiak is here doesn't every thing stay the same and that is what all the Kubiak-haters have an issue with? A consistent, conservative, good natured, (successful) team.

The last option is more of a joke option than anything. I laughed when thinking of it, and I was curious to see who would think that. 8 votes have gone towards that option.

NitroGSXR
12-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Whutchutalkin' 'bout, Willis???

The Tampa interview.

ObsiWan
12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
The Tampa interview.

He never went on an interview, did he?
And I'll never blame a guy for chasing his dreams even when they conflict with my personal interests.

NitroGSXR
12-27-2012, 05:29 PM
And I'll never blame a guy for chasing his dreams even when they conflict with my personal interests.

*sigh*

I should have seen that you were purposely being obtuse.

ObsiWan
12-27-2012, 05:50 PM
*sigh*

I should have seen that you were purposely being obtuse.

No, not this time. I'd forgotten the whole, "I might be leaving to be a head coach" saga.
Seriously.
I actually was wondering if you were talking about the timing of his operation.
Sorry. You blew that one right by me.

Double Barrel
12-27-2012, 05:51 PM

I cannot speak for Nitro (nor does he need me to), but I think his point was that Wade was being somewhat of a distraction to a team on the cusp of their first playoff berth. I agree, especially his interview where he said that he wanted to be a head coach. Save that stuff for the off-season and be cryptic with your answers until then.

Showtime100
12-27-2012, 06:02 PM
I cannot speak for Nitro (nor does he need me to), but I think his point was that Wade was being somewhat of a distraction to a team on the cusp of their first playoff berth. I agree, especially his interview where he said that he wanted to be a head coach. Save that stuff for the off-season and be cryptic with your answers until then.

Damn I'm getting old. I forgot all about that.

Oh, and I completely agree with your post.

NitroGSXR
12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
No, not this time. I'd forgotten the whole, "I might be leaving to be a head coach" saga.
Seriously.
I actually was wondering if you were talking about the timing of his operation.
Sorry. You blew that one right by me.

It's all good! I love me some Wade and hope he stays here forever otherwise.

ObsiWan
12-28-2012, 10:34 AM

While I stand by my earlier statement about chasing his dream, I totally agree that Wade's timing sucked big time.

Plus, I thought setting up interviews for new jobs during the season was verboten by league rules. ...not to mention common sense and such. Shouldn't someone have been fined or something?? I mean they fine a guy for the wrong socks but not for tampering/distracting the coaching staff of a team in the playoff hunt???

ChampionTexan
12-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Plus, I thought setting up interviews for new jobs during the season was verboten by league rules. ...not to mention common sense and such. Shouldn't someone have been fined or something?? I mean they fine a guy for the wrong socks but not for tampering/distracting the coaching staff of a team in the playoff hunt???

NFL teams are allowed to interview assistant coaches for Head Coaching positions during the playoffs if they receive permission from their current team. The Texans had given their approval.

burro
12-29-2012, 02:01 PM
If Wade was going to land a HC offer, it would have been after last year's miracle turnaround on defense. He's old news now. Either way, I am perfectly content to keep him around; God forbid we EVER leave defensive staffing up to Kubiak again.

Playoffs
12-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Frankly, I'd be surprised if Wade was offered a HC job. I would certainly interview him because he's been around this league for a long time and has a lot of wisdom/experience, but I don't see him getting an offer this time.