PDA

View Full Version : Can someone summarize today?

keyser
12-24-2012, 01:07 AM
For those of us who couldn't see today's game, can someone give me a good summary of what went wrong today? I've seen plenty of the "our coaching stinks", "we need a new QB", "we will never go far in the playoffs" etc. comments, but I'm looking for more precise comments about what went wrong in today's game. It seems Peterson was kept to a reasonably low total yardage, and I would have thought that would be good (seemed to me that that would be the key to the game). Did Ponder just do really well, or what? What happend with our offense? Stats show that AJ had a pretty good game, but I guess he was the only one. Was the issue lack of time to pass, dropped passes, no one being open, no running lanes, poor running, or what?

76Texan
12-24-2012, 01:15 AM
A little of everything; it's the third game now that it just seems like you get out of bed on the wrong side. Nothing goes quite right. You're just in a rut all day; just can't pull yourself out of it no matter what you try.

eriadoc
12-24-2012, 01:15 AM
The Texans D keyed on AP all day. He still busted a few good runs, but on balance, he was kept in check. Glover Quin and Brooks Reed had a good day in the run game. Watt had a good game altogether. Barwin had a few moments. The defense failed to stop Ponder when it mattered, however. The Vikings converted key 3rd downs and made a play action TD to the TE that was very predictable. Texans D gave up key conversions on scrambles by Ponder. On balance though, the defense did their job.

The offense just sucked rocks, as you might imagine with a total of 6 points on the board. The OL was not very good at all. Whenever they ran the back out of the backfield prior to the snap, the Vikings overloaded DBrown's side and made him choose who to block. Whenever any pressure got to Schaub, he failed. Where David Carr curled into the fetal position back in the day, Schaub panicked and gave up on the play, usually throwing the ball where no one had a chance at a play. So we've improved at that position. Arian Foster had about 15 yards rushing, IIRC. Where the OL's failures ended, his began. Receivers dropped key passes that killed drives. Kevin Walter caught a nice in route to get to the 1-yd line for first and goal and they ended up kicking a FG from the 16 yard line. That actually kind of sums up the whole day, to be honest.

Kubiak wasn't even on my radar, for a change. His team failed him so completely that he never had a chance to make a decision that would have lost the game.

Texecutioner
12-24-2012, 01:17 AM
I think we just got bullied up front, and that's what sets the tone in most football games any way. The Vikings just seemed to be playing a lot more inspired and hungry in the game from the start though. The Texans played with very little intensity and fire. When that lacks, it doesn't take but a few mistakes to take the fight out of a team pretty quickly. That's how I would sumamarize it.

eriadoc
12-24-2012, 01:19 AM
I think we just got bullied up front, and that's what sets the tone in most football games any way. The Vikings just seemed to be playing a lot more inspired and hungry in the game from the start though. The Texans played with very little intensity and fire. When that lacks, it doesn't take but a few mistakes to take the fight out of a team pretty quickly. That's how I would sumamarize it.

Yep. The OL has been getting their lunch money stolen for a while.

Norg
12-24-2012, 02:15 AM
from a player breakdown

Schaub - was under pressure and his lack of mobility forced him to take sacks or throw the ball away even mild pressure forces him to throw the ball sonner then he wants or not set his feet back peddling happy feet etc etc etc

Newton- at timeswas getting beat physical and mental same with ben Jones

Brown -got to many false starts killing drives

-FOster did not play well or block well Tate in limited playing time played better then him

-AJ balled out but he does not have that burst speed anymore but yall already knew that

-Jean and martin did not even see the field much nor did garrett and posey had some droppies no other WR is stepping up andmaking plays thatsa on going problem

-Kevin walter was ......Kevin walter

-PLaycalling took no chances and was out of funk

-Has usual our ST SUCKS and this is what will prob cost us in the playoffs

-James and dobbins have a hard time covering there Decent but not like all pro thats a weakness in our D i think ILB play the vikes TE Rudolph was straight out running them having at least a 6 yard cushin it was pitch and catch bassically

-I do wanna say K JAXS BALLED OUT he played very good J joe played ok

-Barwin was trying hard but he was a ghost its kinda dis hearting when u trying his hardest yet his hardest isnt good enough i guess aganist that Vikes o line

-JJWATT balled out but he cant do it by himself he was getting tired by the end like barwin his hardest still got beat by the vikes guards

- Manning same has the ILB was a ghost Quinn played ok

-COdy and Ninja didnt stay in there lanes and that killed us when Ponder took off running u think they would of studied that a knew ponder can run lane control was vital and they didnt do it ..either way both got man handled by the HOGS of the vikes o line the vikes got a GOOODD OLINE and a a world TACKLE prob one of the best tackle in the NFL

I know its been a while now without him but even the announcer said WE REALLY Miss Cushing we havent been the same witout him and its true without Cush and Reed the team is not has good bottom line

over all that about sums up the texans players

HJam72
12-24-2012, 06:51 AM
First game since Schaub took over as QB in 2007 that we did not score a TD. The offense is steadily getting worse. Foster's "illness" and his 1.5 yds. per carry had something to do with it. He went out of the game with "an irregular heartbeat," by the way. I assume and hope that is a temporary problem from the flu or something.

I don't know why Tate was not brought in sooner. I know that Foster sometimes gets better as the game goes on, but he needs rest anyway and Tate can carry the load. We've been concerned about Foster's number of carries all season; so, I guess Tate will just have to carry the load deep in the playoffs when Foster is burned out....if we get that far anyway...

TejasTom
12-24-2012, 07:46 AM
from a player breakdown...

-FOster did not play well or block well Tate in limited playing time played better then him

- Manning same has the ILB was a ghost Quinn played ok

Foster was hit in the backfield 6 of his 10 carries.

Quin lead the team in tackles. 10 total, 9 of those solo, 3 of them for a loss.

Grams
12-24-2012, 07:53 AM
The Vikings came ready to play, the Texans did not.

We stopped their running game, but not their passing game. We made Ponder look like Brady or Manning.

We were out coached and out played by a mediocre team.

amazing80
12-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Out played today.

TejasTom
12-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Letterman jackets and Segways.

BullNation4Life
12-24-2012, 08:18 AM
in 2 words...

sucked ass

ensign_lee
12-24-2012, 08:27 AM
3rd downs killed us today. The defense would do great in forcing third and longs, and then would lose contain on Ponder, or let a receiver get opena nd they would constantly convert. that, and our offense could not get anything started except fort he one drive, but even that one drive resulted in usgetting a field goal after we had first and goal on the one.

All in all, I blame the offense's ineptness the most, followed by the defense's inability to get off the field on third down.

BigBull17
12-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Schaub is so anti-clutch that it hurts your soul. He was sacked by a guy tugging his jersey. He is so easily rattled its pathetic. He is incapable of functioning when a guy gets within 3 feet of him. Gary had no clue what to do. Was out coached on every level of the game. Zero second half adjustments. No hurry up offense to wear em out. No screen or draw game to slow down rushers. Nothing.

Exascor
12-24-2012, 09:20 AM
The Texans D keyed on AP all day. He still busted a few good runs, but on balance, he was kept in check. Glover Quin and Brooks Reed had a good day in the run game. Watt had a good game altogether. Barwin had a few moments. The defense failed to stop Ponder when it mattered, however. The Vikings converted key 3rd downs and made a play action TD to the TE that was very predictable. Texans D gave up key conversions on scrambles by Ponder. On balance though, the defense did their job.

The offense just sucked rocks, as you might imagine with a total of 6 points on the board. The OL was not very good at all. Whenever they ran the back out of the backfield prior to the snap, the Vikings overloaded DBrown's side and made him choose who to block. Whenever any pressure got to Schaub, he failed. Where David Carr curled into the fetal position back in the day, Schaub panicked and gave up on the play, usually throwing the ball where no one had a chance at a play. So we've improved at that position. Arian Foster had about 15 yards rushing, IIRC. Where the OL's failures ended, his began. Receivers dropped key passes that killed drives. Kevin Walter caught a nice in route to get to the 1-yd line for first and goal and they ended up kicking a FG from the 16 yard line. That actually kind of sums up the whole day, to be honest.

Kubiak wasn't even on my radar, for a change. His team failed him so completely that he never had a chance to make a decision that would have lost the game.Pretty much summed it up perfectly. Nice job eriadoc.

robroy72
12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
3rd downs killed us today. The defense would do great in forcing third and longs, and then would lose contain on Ponder, or let a receiver get opena nd they would constantly convert. that, and our offense could not get anything started except fort he one drive, but even that one drive resulted in usgetting a field goal after we had first and goal on the one.

All in all, I blame the offense's ineptness the most, followed by the defense's inability to get off the field on third down.

The one where he ran from his own goal line to the 25-ish was :wadepalm:

RTP2110
12-24-2012, 09:44 AM
It just seemed to me like the Texans came out with a "Meh, all we have to do is win one of the last two games. Whatever" kind of attitude.

That, and as always our o-line was dominated by a bigger, stronger d-line.

DX-TEX
12-24-2012, 09:59 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/1246556808_Missile_launch_fail-1.gif

El Tejano
12-24-2012, 11:39 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/1246556808_Missile_launch_fail-1.gif

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Honoring Earl 34
12-24-2012, 12:41 PM
It's odd because they usually surge when they're eliminated from the playoffs and now they get there and go into a tailspin . It's odd real odd .

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7729/bobrossb.jpg

ObsiWan
12-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Kubiak wasn't even on my radar, for a change. His team failed him so completely that he never had a chance to make a decision that would have lost the game.

These two posts just about cover it.
Repped Eriadoc,
MSR for Tex.

Just like last year, once they secured the division title, they came out half-a$$ed.

Last year they turned it back on when the playoffs started. Let's see what happens this year.

Edit: on that Irregular heartbeat thing... I wonder if it was affecting Foster from the start of the game or just came on in the 3rd qtr when they took him out??
Where's Dr. J?

GP
12-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Summarize today?

I'd say people are too quick to forget the overall leadership style of Gary Kubiak, and his mirror image personality in Matt Schaub, who both seem to think that being good guys who "keep battlin'" is what wins at the end of the day.

Duane Brown looked bad, he got a huge payday. Foster looked bad, he got a huge payday. Schaub looked bad, he also got a contract deal too. Those three "star" players who got new deals this season have not played well. I don't care about Foster being league leader in rushing...he hasn't had the BIG moments that change games. Adrian Peterson has. On downs when they need a conversion, AP gets it done. Foster hasn't. When the Vikings faced 3rd and long, if it wasn't AP getting their first down, it was Ponder throwing passes or running the ball himself and doing what Schaub couldn't all day long.

Face it: There's an attitude on this team that has Kubiak's fingerprints all over it. When a team is afraid of us, we beat them. When the opponent punches us in the face, the offense goes down like Glass Joe in Mike Tyson's Punchout.

To me, this is typical Gary Kubiak "limp wrist" football. Grade-A reflection of Gary Kubiak. Even the defense is like "**** it. Why should I care?" LOL.

Wolf
12-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Bulls on charade?

buddyboy
12-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Duane Brown looked bad, he got a huge payday. Foster looked bad, he got a huge payday. Schaub looked bad, he also got a contract deal too. Those three "star" players who got new deals this season have not played well. I don't care about Foster being league leader in rushing...he hasn't had the BIG moments that change games. Adrian Peterson has. On downs when they need a conversion, AP gets it done. Foster hasn't. When the Vikings faced 3rd and long, if it wasn't AP getting their first down, it was Ponder throwing passes or running the ball himself and doing what Schaub couldn't all day long.

Agree both Schaub and Foster NEED to play better. Duane from what I saw has had a couple bad games, but for the most part has still been dominant this season.

GP
12-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Kubiak looks like a major DOOF for the offseason comment about having Schaub go drive Manning from the airport to Reliant.

Manning wasn't a fit here not just due to money.....but because Kubiak needs a blind follower to be QB here, not a take-charge guy. He needs a guy who will receive his call and maybe check it to a run. MAYBE.

Furthermore, it's be neat to fantasize about us clearing out cap room for when Luck becomes a free agent...hometown kid comes home and all that jazz...but, LOL, never gonna' happen. It wouldn't wrk because what I've seen of Luck tells me he's too free of a spirit to be a Kubiak guy.

At the end of the day, Kubiak needs a QB who is less Elway and more Kubiak. I really think he's conceited that way....as if he's getting to re-live his playing days by having basically the same type of QB that HE was back then.

Who needs electric QBs? Who needs a mobile QB? Who needs a QB who is a free spirit, charismatic, and just finds ways to win (maybe even to the point of ignoring the designed play all)???

Not Kubiak. No, his plan is to show you can win with a guy like, like, well....like HIM!

Boy, yesterday's game really zapped me back to reality. I had bought into the hype. I was thinking this team could overcome itself. I knew, and stated, that Kubiak's record shows that the odds were not in our favor of winning out with 2 games to go...BUT, maybe the players dig deep and gut it out.

Giving Schaub a new deal after 1 game was foolish.

Giving Kubiak a new deal was foolish.

I think I'm really bummed out about the next few years. I've seen our ceiling with this HC and his QB. It's maxed out.

Wolf
12-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Goodness GP you might want to upgrade
http://www.papergoods.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/_/m/_mg_4784.jpg

For the record I am not going to pump sunshine. We have some issues, but I think we have some exotic thinking going

infantrycak
12-24-2012, 07:42 PM

I think I'm really bummed out about the next few years. I've seen our ceiling with this HC and his QB. It's maxed out.

Geez, someone poured egg nog all over GP's crystal ball and then pissed on it.

PapaL
12-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Sun came up. Stuff happened. Sun went down.

That summarizes it and every other day.

GP
12-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Goodness GP you might want to upgrade
http://www.papergoods.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/_/m/_mg_4784.jpg

For the record I am not going to pump sunshine. We have some issues, but I think we have some exotic thinking going

Nah.

There is always a section of fans on here who downplay the inevitable. I used to be like you.

Then, through multiple seasons of therapy from Hervoyel, Thorn, and Lucky...I realized that I had to begin a process of scrutiny; analyzing the results and not my own desires of seeing us succeed despite any small measure of "progress" that can mask a team's REAL status and future predictors of REAL success.

We're in that familiar place again, settling back into a state of mind numbing mediocrity. It was just too much to expect of them. It was too long of a schedule, 16 games is too hard.

Had this season been 14 games long, we'd have been in fine position. I'm seeing guys on this team seriously just quit. Taking 5.

If people can't see that, then they deserve the heartache they'll get either next week or in a pivotal playoff game that we'll lose in true Houston Choke City fashion.

You speak of me. I speak of historical PROOF.

wolf123
12-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Nah.

There is always a section of fans on here who downplay the inevitable. I used to be like you.

Then, through multiple seasons of therapy from Hervoyel, Thorn, and Lucky...I realized that I had to begin a process of scrutiny; analyzing the results and not my own desires of seeing us succeed despite any small measure of "progress" that can mask a team's REAL status and future predictors of REAL success.

We're in that familiar place again, settling back into a state of mind numbing mediocrity. It was just too much to expect of them. It was too long of a schedule, 16 games is too hard.

Had this season been 14 games long, we'd have been in fine position. I'm seeing guys on this team seriously just quit. Taking 5.

If people can't see that, then they deserve the heartache they'll get either next week or in a pivotal playoff game that we'll lose in true Houston Choke City fashion.

You speak of me. I speak of historical PROOF.

GP, can you at least wait until the end of the season to post all this doom in gloom? You might be right but at least try to enjoy the 2nd good year in Texans history.

Wolf
12-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Hell the good thing about doom and gloom is that 31 teams will have it. Not saying GP is going to do a "I told you so"

bckey
12-26-2012, 11:04 PM

That sums up Thorn's sex life after a life of massive alcohol intake and Oiler/Texan disappointments.:drunk:

Just kidding Thorn.:worldpeace:

mussop
12-26-2012, 11:30 PM
:spit:http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/1246556808_Missile_launch_fail-1.gif

:spit: perfect!

Thorn
12-27-2012, 03:42 AM
Premature ejection? :wadepalm:

Malloy
12-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Premature ejection? :wadepalm:

Not only that, it was also a dud ;)