PDA

View Full Version : what happened to our offense?

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 05:11 PM
we have all our tight ends, johnson is playing well, we have our 3 running backs, schaub is not injured, we even have some rookies stepping up. is it our offense line these past 6 or 7 games? coach? qb can't move? i'm baffled why we can't score anymore. i mean it's one thing to lose but to not even score at home is inexcusable.

our team looks so different than the beginning of the year.

TheMatrix31
12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
It's offensive line and to a lesser extent, playcalling.

I'd also say field position is a problem too, what with our awful special teams and the penalties they accrue.

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 05:14 PM

i agree. i miss winset.

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 05:15 PM

I'd also say field position is a problem too, what with our awful special teams and the penalties they accrue.

we have had bad field positioning but before we'd go the full distance...so really long drives. i don't see it anymore.

Texecutioner
12-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Past 6 or 7 games??

Apparently you guys forgot about what our offense did against the Jags and the Lions which was just a few games ago. ANd at that time it was "what is wrong with our defense"? They have only struggled a lot against two teams for the most part.

Every other week you guys are asking what is wrong with the defense or the offense.

Seems to me like the bigger question should be "What is wrong with our coaching?"

Pantherstang84
12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Past 6 or 7 games??

Apparently you guys forgot about what our offense did against the Jags and the Lions which was just a few games ago. ANd at that time it was "what is wrong with our defense"? They have only struggled a lot against two teams for the most part.

Every other week you guys are asking what is wrong with the defense or the offense.

Seems to me like the bigger question should be "What is wrong with our coaching?"

I don't doubt that is a valid question as well. However, who went into the fetal position deep in his own territory when someone just tugged his jersey?

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Past 6 or 7 games??

coaching is an issue. but in the pats, redzone colts, 2nd half titans, and now vikings, our offense has disappeared. i know what's up with the defense.

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Past 6 or 7 games??

the second half of the jags game disappeared.

Vinny
12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Past 6 or 7 games??

Seems to me like the bigger question should be "What is wrong with our coaching?"a slow, plodding offense that has a QB with limitations and a bunch of midfield targets but no deep threats. A line built to zone block and quick set blocking but not good for 7-step dropback passing. No real WR threat beside AJ and he is not the deep burner he used to be so you are left with a slow, plodding offense that throws in the towel with 4 mins left to play. :tiphat:

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 05:44 PM
a slow, plodding offense that has a QB with limitations and a bunch of midfield targets but no deep threats. A line built to zone block and quick set blocking but not good for 7-step dropback passing. No real WR threat beside AJ and he is not the deep burner he used to be so you are left with a slow, plodding offense that throws in the towel with 4 mins left to play. :tiphat:

i just don't see how a 6 best offense can be this bad all of the sudden.

Texecutioner
12-23-2012, 05:45 PM
a slow, plodding offense that has a QB with limitations and a bunch of midfield targets but no deep threats. A line built to zone block and quick set blocking but not good for 7-step dropback passing. No real WR threat beside AJ and he is not the deep burner he used to be so you are left with a slow, plodding offense that throws in the towel with 4 mins left to play. :tiphat:

You're left with a team that has been the 3rd highest scoring team in the league with that offense. The Patriots don't have a good wideout either. I criticized the hell out of Rick Smith and management for not getting help at WR the last two off seasons, but everyone whined that I was being to critical of Rick Smith as a GM and hyped the hell out of guys like Lestar Jean and Martin. Somehow I knew that would blow up in people's faces.

Either way, this team has scored very well amongst the rest of the offenses in this league. The only real complaint about Schaub you guys have still stems from him not being mobile.

But if you want to complain about the last 4 minutes, then blame Kubiak. The guy has been a quitting machine since he's been the coach here. He is and always will be a problem that this team has to get over.

Texecutioner
12-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Coaching........

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Coaching........

i somewhat agree but the fact that schaub can't take over (it doesn't have to be elite) when it's really needed frustrates me. i've been a schaub fan but i think he's very limited.

Say Watt
12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Coaching........

Yep. Nuff said.

nut
12-23-2012, 05:58 PM
The quitting part is what I can't stand the most. Playcalling stinks alot of the time too. If we can get over these 2 items, we will have a chance.

Vinny
12-23-2012, 05:59 PM

It's not "bad"...it's just a slow plodding offense that isn't built to play drop back and throw it around to your speedsters ball. It's an offense that needs a hook to throw the ball (play action). Stop the run and force this team to throw the ball and there is really not much quick strike element to this team. I never said it was a bad offense...just a plodder.

You're left with a team that has been the 3rd highest scoring team in the league with that offense. The Patriots don't have a good wideout either. I criticized the hell out of Rick Smith and management for not getting help at WR the last two off seasons, but everyone whined that I was being to critical of Rick Smith as a GM and hyped the hell out of guys like Lestar Jean and Martin. Somehow I knew that would blow up in people's faces.

Either way, this team has scored very well amongst the rest of the offenses in this league. The only real complaint about Schaub you guys have still stems from him not being mobile.

But if you want to complain about the last 4 minutes, then blame Kubiak. The guy has been a quitting machine since he's been the coach here. He is and always will be a problem that this team has to get over.The Patriots have a QB that can find the open man and Brady is a shoe in HOF'er. Schaub has left a ton of TD passes on the field. AJ should have 4 more touchdowns but he has to wait on the ball all the time. Most of Schaub's good stuff comes off the waggle and reason behind that is that this is not a good deep drop-back passing group (Oline) combined with the fact that this isn't Schaub's strength to begin with.

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 06:04 PM
... Stop the run and force this team to throw the ball and there is really not much quick strike element to this team..

there was a time (a few yrs ago) when we didn't have a running game and we had a very good passing game that was somewhat quick.

Mr. Texan
12-23-2012, 06:09 PM
there was a time (a few yrs ago) when we didn't have a running game and we had a very good passing game that was somewhat quick.

kubiak continues to force the run/pa pass when it's obviously not going to work.

we've seen this offense this year before move the ball like 09 when they go no huddle spead and just abandon the run.

Vinny
12-23-2012, 06:10 PM
there was a time (a few yrs ago) when we didn't have a running game and we had a very good passing game that was somewhat quick.short of a wormhole I'm not sure that helps us right now. I will say that watching "possession TE's" prancing a few yards short of a first down over and over is kinda depressing.

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 06:13 PM
short of a wormhole I'm not sure that helps us right now. I will say that watching "possession TE's" prancing a few yards short of a first down over and over is kinda depressing.

they had some games of old in which their air game had some yardage. yeah that 4 and 1 is getting to be annoying.

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 06:14 PM
kubiak continues to force the run/pa pass when it's obviously not going to work.

we've seen this offense this year before move the ball like 09 when they go no huddle spead and just abandon the run.

sometimes you have to set up the run game with some quick 1st down passing. when everything is dictated on the run, it isn't all that good.

Mr. Texan
12-23-2012, 06:18 PM
sometimes you have to set up the run game with some quick 1st down passing. when everything is dictated on the run, it isn't all that good.

i agree.

one of my biggest complaints about kubiak's playcalling is he doesn't
adjust is gameplan around the strengths and weaknesses of his opponent's defense at times.

Mr teX
12-23-2012, 06:26 PM
People keep saying coaching but i just cant fault the coach when he's not on the field. I mean how much can u really blame the coaching when a guy is just flat out getting owned on the field losing his 1 on 1 battle? When a guy cant separate and get open? Thats all on the player imo.

When we cant run, we suck....its just that simple.

badboy
12-23-2012, 06:28 PM

And I see nothing to say this will change. Does Schaub play action to give Andre a chance to get down the field? I wished they would use Jean a bit more with AJ. I know one play both were open & Matt threw to AJ for 17 IIRC.

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 06:36 PM
People keep saying coaching but i just cant fault the coach when he's not on the field. I mean how much can u really blame the coaching when a guy is just flat out getting owned on the field losing his 1 on 1 battle? When a guy cant separate and get open? Thats all on the player imo.

When we cant run, we suck....its just that simple.

that red zone plays have 2 do with some of the coaching. we've got some good backs and some good receivers/ends and we've looked like a really medicore team lately

Mr teX
12-23-2012, 06:50 PM
that red zone plays have 2 do with some of the coaching. we've got some good backs and some good receivers/ends and we've looked like a really medicore team lately

The run play was absolutely stuffed...tate had no chance. The pass play, schaub had someone in his lap & maybe with a more accurate pass from schaub, we score...but that's on schaub not kubiak...schaub also had someone in his lap on that play...again not on kubiak.

You guys are funny. 1 day people are complaining about kubiak going turtle in the red zone and not passing...today we pass the ball 2 out of the 3 times in our only trip to the red zone and its disasterous and now everyone's saying we should've run the ball..

legacy_gt
12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
The run play was absolutely stuffed...tate had no chance. The pass play, schaub had someone in his lap & maybe with a more accurate pass from schaub, we score...but that's on schaub not kubiak...schaub also had someone in his lap on that play...again not on kubiak.

You guys are funny. 1 day people are complaining about kubiak going turtle in the red zone and not passing...today we pass the ball 2 out of the 3 times in our only trip to the red zone and its disasterous and now everyone's saying we should've run the ball..

we can't run and schaub is scrambling all over the place. i place this one also on the offensive line too.

to say we were scoreless (not even 1 td) for whatever reason on our own turf to an 8-6 team and not make our coach somewhat accountable is a mistake.

Say Watt
12-23-2012, 08:10 PM
The solution seems rather simple to me. Our offense is as Vinny states a "slow plodding offense". It is designed that way to be conservative, wear out other teams, and let our defense dominate.

What I see happening now is teams are focusing number one to stop the run. When we can't run, our play action pass doesn't work. When that happens, Kubiak gets nervous and starts getting predictable. He routinely calls pass on first down, run on second, and pass on third and long.

But now our D isn't playing as well. They still are holding their own, but they aren't the "Bulls on Parade" from earlier this season. So now our offense needs to step it up. We need to up the tempo. When we ran the no huddle in the Detroit and Jacksonville games, Schaub ran it to perfection. We kept the defense on their heels. Start doing this more often, get teams afraid of the pass first, and then start letting Foster gash them.

But instead Kubiak has stuck with the same formula he had at the beginning of the season. "Slow plodding offense" to try and soak up the clock and tire out the opposition. Newsflash Kubes! It isn't working anymore. Teams are focusing on stopping Foster and then our whole game plan falls apart. Change it up, or this season is going to be over way too soon.

mariowillshine15
12-23-2012, 08:15 PM
The solution seems rather simple to me. Our offense is as Vinny states a "slow plodding offense". It is designed that way to be conservative, wear out other teams, and let our defense dominate.

What I see happening now is teams are focusing number one to stop the run. When we can't run, our play action pass doesn't work. When that happens, Kubiak gets nervous and starts getting predictable. He routinely calls pass on first down, run on second, and pass on third and long.

But now our D isn't playing as well. They still are holding their own, but they aren't the "Bulls on Parade" from earlier this season. So now our offense needs to step it up. We need to up the tempo. When we ran the no huddle in the Detroit and Jacksonville games, Schaub ran it to perfection. We kept the defense on their heels. Start doing this more often, get teams afraid of the pass first, and then start letting Foster gash them.

But instead Kubiak has stuck with the same formula he had at the beginning of the season. "Slow plodding offense" to try and soak up the clock and tire out the opposition. Newsflash Kubes! It isn't working anymore. Teams are focusing on stopping Foster and then our whole game plan falls apart. Change it up, or this season is going to be over way too soon.

It sucks because the no huddle works so well but is only used when behind a bunch.

Big Lou
12-23-2012, 09:01 PM

Where were the damn screens? The Vikings were crashing the line all day, we could have mashed them with Foster, Tate, the TE's, or even Dre with screens.

WTF is with the playcalling?

Nawzer
12-23-2012, 09:03 PM

I could not agree more with you Vinny! I just posted something similar in the Fire Kubiak thread.

"As good as the Texans offense can be, I sometimes feel like it's kind of like a slow plodding and old fashioned offense. No doubt, when its working it's darn near unstoppable but a lot of things have to go right before it hits full speed. In today's NFL you see a lot of fast offenses that go out there and score quickly or move the chains easily when needed. All the great offenses like the Packers and Patriots have this capability to move the ball fast without having to set things up and waiting for that exact right moment to get the big plays. Part of the problem is Matt Schaub who's not fleet of foot and seems to have developed a fear of getting hit (who can really blame him after losing part of his ear???). The offense as it is right now is in trouble if the running game isn't going. It's not flexible enough to adjust on the fly imo. You can cite the Lions or Jags game as proof that we can air it out, but that's just no our thing and we cannot sustain that kind of offense for an extended period of time and expect to win games. One of things Kubiak, Dennision, and Rick Smith have to work on this offseason is to change the offense up a bit and add some new wrinkles to it. I don't know why we moved away from giving Keyshawn Martin the ball because he's the kind of guy who can move the chains and give the offense a dynamism it's sorely lacking. I thought David Anderson was a valuable guy on this offense and we're missing out on the types of plays those smaller receivers can make. Also, a bigger tight end would be nice to give Schaub a bigger target and even though OD is great, he's more a middle of the field receiver. Kubiak will not be fired so the best we can hope for as fans is that the offense will evolve and not be so one dimensional."

Big Lou
12-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I know the line isn't playing the was they should, but I would like to have seen Forsett today. Seems like defenses are using Foster's patience against him.

Hervoyel
12-23-2012, 09:12 PM
As down as I am on Schaub I have to admit that the offensive line is just really a train wreck right now. I thought with one side undergoing "renovation" we'd still be able to hold our own but I think unfortunately that Wade Smith is on his way out maybe a year earlier than the Texans had expected. He's coming up on 10 season and frankly, it shows. With our right side all screwed up we just couldn't afford to have Smith fall apart like he has. The Texans need to rebuild that line ASAP if they're going to keep rolling the sloth out there and expecting him to get the kind of stats that make his fans happy.

texanhead08
12-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Its a simple as one thing our oline has gotten their asses kicked by physicals defensive front in 2 games in the past month. We were called soft in the past, and many of us thought we were past that but this has reared its ugly head again recently. The big uglies had better get it fixed in a hurry of we will be asking a lot of questions this off season.

gafftop
12-23-2012, 10:55 PM
1. Very poor management of salary cap required us to get rid of whole right side of line. Oline not as good as last year. Hurting us in run and pass game.
2. Matt VERY limited physically as player. Needs protection with line and running game. Lack of oline gives him neither. Matt cannot create by scrambling. Teams not afraid of his running skills or his deep ball threat. Easy to game plan against. Also this year seems to be getting rattled in pocket and is cringing before he is even hit. Matt seems to be really going down hill and doesn't look like he is having any fun. People laughed when I said he needs to see a shrink but it sure couldn't hurt.
3. No 2nd wr threat. Matt basically throws to AJ or the TE and maybe the back sometimes. Either the other receivers can't get open, they are not good or Matt doesn't trust them or doesn't see the field or just doesn't have the time or a combination of the above.
4. Arian does not look any where near what he did last year. I am sure alot of this is the Oline but I think some is on him. Anybody see the special on him? He worked really hard before last season. I would guess with the big contract some of the fire went out. A little concerned about his last comment. any body remember it exactly but he is a different cat.
5.Playcalling/coaching. Maybe Kubiak knows what he has and the way he calls a game is the only way he can call it. If so we are seeing first hand what we have. Kubiak could also be too predictable in his play calling. He also could be playing too clsoe to the vest. Probably a combination of all the above but I still think it goes back to Oline and run game, and a combination of all the above.
Just my opinion.

TEXANRED
12-23-2012, 11:55 PM
we have all our tight ends, johnson is playing well, we have our 3 running backs, schaub is not injured, we even have some rookies stepping up. is it our offense line these past 6 or 7 games? coach? qb can't move? i'm baffled why we can't score anymore. i mean it's one thing to lose but to not even score at home is inexcusable.

our team looks so different than the beginning of the year.

Matt Schaub is who we thought he was.

Norg
12-23-2012, 11:55 PM
well after watching the game its various things

Schaub is a timming passer if he has a clean pocket he will lite u up if he has to dodge free blitzes and has to dodge pressure his lack of mobility kills the play

Newton at times got Destroyed

Ben jones at time got Destroyed obvs these two guys are showing why they are rookies

Obvs Foster isnt the same player has before SOmetimes he goes down on first contact IDK if its the line no leech or dressen i cant figure it out

getting back at schaub somes times when pressure is coming he back peddles to much i would like to see him set his feet fast and throw the ball also if he does not set his feet sometimes he makes salling and bad throws

also we still dont got a Speedster WR that can go over the top of the D andre lacks the burst speed to get away from DB

Brown gets to many Yellow Flags tooo mannnyyyy

and over all i dont know what it is but Posey droppd some balls needs to step up

and Kubes we got JEAN and Martin on the team they have been Ghost ...i dont know why

u could say playcalling has well sometimes u gotta take some chances

steelbtexan
12-24-2012, 12:03 AM

You may not see it but if you failed to see 2 TD's in 12 qtrs then the Texans feeble offense is probably the least of your worries.

amazing80
12-24-2012, 12:26 AM
LOL at blaming the coaches for today, Im all for bashing Gary when given the chance, but hes not the one being captain checkdown on 3rd downs.....or Mr fetal position and cower every time a defender is within 3 yards of him

The players failed to do anything today and it started with the qb

Rey
12-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Wow...

This offense is the same as it's been for the last couple years. Schaub is the same qb. Kubiak is the same coach.

Texecutioner
12-24-2012, 12:29 AM
LOL at blaming the coaches for today, Im all for bashing Gary when given the chance, but hes not the one being captain checkdown on 3rd downs.....or Mr fetal position and cower every time a defender is within 3 yards of him

The players failed to do anything today and it started with the qb

No, it started with the Oline. What are you blind? You didn't see the Oline caving on almost every passing down?? Any non mobile QB is going to have a rough day when there is no blocking. That was always the case with Kurt Warner and it's always been the case with Manning and Brady when their O lines fall apart. To absolve the O line of any blame is being selective to your own interests.

amazing80
12-24-2012, 12:31 AM
No, it started with the Oline. What are you blind? You didn't see the Oline caving on almost every passing down?? Any non mobile QB is going to have a rough day when there is no blocking. That was always the case with Kurt Warner and it's always been the case with Manning and Brady when their O lines fall apart. To absolve the O line of any blame is being selective to your own interests.

There were times our oline caved, you are correct, then there were times Matt caved for no reason and bailed out of the pocket drifting back or sideways, hard to protect a qb when he bails the pocket prematurely

Texecutioner
12-24-2012, 12:40 AM
There were times our oline caved, you are correct, then there were times Matt caved for no reason and bailed out of the pocket drifting back or sideways, hard to protect a qb when he bails the pocket prematurely

You can't expect a guy like Schaub to have a big day when his Oline has a horrible day. It just isn't going to happen. That's who Schaub is. That's who Kurt Warner was. When his Oline stunk so did he. They are pocket passers and they are only going to be as good as their protection is. The problem with you guys who analyze Schaub is that you have zero understanding for who he is and what to expect out of him. YOu guys say he is average which is he isn't, but you expect him to be elite. It's a contradiction. If he is average to you then STOP ASKING HIM TO BE ELITE. Blame the rest of the team and the HC for not playing up to par. If the QB is so average, then the rest of the team needs to make up for it and play hard on their end. Schaub isn't going anywhere, so the rest of the team will need to do what they have to do in order to make things easier for the QB like they have for most of the season. But to always put the blame on Schaub when things don't go well across the board is telling me that you don't understand the different functions on what makes a team play well consistently. You can't expect a non mobile QB to throw all over the field when he only has one good receiver and his O line isn't blocking for him. It's not possible.

amazing80
12-24-2012, 12:50 AM
You can't expect a guy like Schaub to have a big day when his Oline has a horrible day. It just isn't going to happen. That's who Schaub is. That's who Kurt Warner was. When his Oline stunk so did he. They are pocket passers and they are only going to be as good as their protection is. The problem with you guys who analyze Schaub is that you have zero understanding for who he is and what to expect out of him. YOu guys say he is average which is he isn't, but you expect him to be elite. It's a contradiction. If he is average to you then STOP ASKING HIM TO BE ELITE. Blame the rest of the team and the HC for not playing up to par. If the QB is so average, then the rest of the team needs to make up for it and play hard on their end. Schaub isn't going anywhere, so the rest of the team will need to do what they have to do in order to make things easier for the QB like they have for most of the season. But to always put the blame on Schaub when things don't go well across the board is telling me that you don't understand the different functions on what makes a team play well consistently. You can't expect a non mobile QB to throw all over the field when he only has one good receiver and his O line isn't blocking for him. It's not possible.

Only one good reciever? He has a top 5 TE, a top 3 RB out of the back field, a VERY reliable number 2 and ditto for the fb in casey, its not our fault Schaub forces it to 80 every other throw. You just made the freaking point, Schaub manages the team, the TEAM needs to carry us to victory because he won't/can't. The TEAM needs to bring their A game in order to HIDE his deficiencies

AMartin56
12-24-2012, 12:59 AM
I have to chuckle a bit at the use of the phrase 'A game' in a discussion about the Texans. Any sort of 'A game' out of this team would be ancient history. Blaming ONE player is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. We've been taking on water since the Ravens game... SOS.

AMartin56
12-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Although I will say that if I have to blame one player it would be Watt.

It's well past time for him to take a Ryan/Gilbride-ish swing at one of his offensive teammates...maybe that would finally motivate them to man up.

Texecutioner
12-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Only one good reciever? He has a top 5 TE, a top 3 RB out of the back field, a VERY reliable number 2 and ditto for the fb in casey, its not our fault Schaub forces it to 80 every other throw. You just made the freaking point, Schaub manages the team, the TEAM needs to carry us to victory because he won't/can't. The TEAM needs to bring their A game in order to HIDE his deficiencies

I never stated that Schaub could take this team on his back. I've said that for years probably while you were riding his jock I'll assume by this knee jerk stuff. Schaub has never been that kind of guy which I'm okay with. He can be at times though and he totally carried this team on his back against the Lions and the Jags which wasn't long ago. But of course you have selectively erased that out of your memory bank because it doesn't fit in your "Schaub sucks" thoughts for the week. It's why I stated earlier that you expect things out of players that they aren't capable of being. And because they aren't capable of being that way, you bash them, but have no idea on how to find a guy that can be what you want. It's not a realistic understanding of what the Texans can actually do as a franchise.

amazing80
12-24-2012, 09:02 AM
I never stated that Schaub could take this team on his back. I've said that for years probably while you were riding his jock I'll assume by this knee jerk stuff. Schaub has never been that kind of guy which I'm okay with. He can be at times though and he totally carried this team on his back against the Lions and the Jags which wasn't long ago. But of course you have selectively erased that out of your memory bank because it doesn't fit in your "Schaub sucks" thoughts for the week. It's why I stated earlier that you expect things out of players that they aren't capable of being. And because they aren't capable of being that way, you bash them, but have no idea on how to find a guy that can be what you want. It's not a realistic understanding of what the Texans can actually do as a franchise.

Your big defense and example of carrying this team includes the Lions and Jags secondaries, no rebuttal necessary, the defense rests its case.

NitroGSXR
12-24-2012, 10:02 AM

I'm not saying you said one thing or another. Just responding to the throwing the towel portion.

I will say with absolute certainty that Kubiak threw in the towel before anyone else. I saw Kubiak tell TJ to run in and Schaub flat out refused to come off until the next play. Then Kubiak PUSHED TJ OUT ONTO THE FIELD. Essentially, Schaub tried to leader up but Kubiak wouldn't let him. I didn't like seeing that too much.

cuppacoffee
12-24-2012, 12:00 PM

And on deep patterns he still has to stop and wait for the ball (and the defender) to catch up to him.

:coffee:

TexansBlood
12-24-2012, 12:52 PM
We have not scored an offensive TD in the last 7 quarters played, last one was AJ's 1st quarter td vs Colts last week...

Isnt Kubiak a offensive minded coach??

thunderkyss
12-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Did he make one play outside the pocket?

It was as if they never imagined in a million years Schaub would escape the pocket & so had no idea what to do. Matt didn't know. His receivers didn't know. His running backs didn't know. The blockers didn't know. The only people who knew what to do when Schaub got out of the pocket were wearing purple.

dtran04
12-24-2012, 07:07 PM
O-Line has been getting destroyed. Simple as that. Arian has no shot on half of the running plays.

There's a reason whey Brandon Brooks has been getting time. Same with Posey too. WRs are not getting any separation. AJ gets open due to scheme moreso than physical abilities nowadays.

You don't rotate guys unless there's a reason to. They are doing it out of necessity, not because they want to.

GP
12-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Tim Ryan to Chris Myers during our very uninspired "play" vs. the Vikings:

"Chris, I just don't get it. This team, the Texans, is getting nowhere with these 3 WR, 1 RB sets. This offense is best when it runs a set of 2 TEs, 1 FB, and 1 RB. That's where they see their best production."

Pretty simple, but Kubiak is anything BUT simple. Well, maybe he IS in some ways I suppose, but when it comes to just doing what we're best at...the guy deviates from it, for whatever reason, and he tries everything under the sun but what works.

It's as if we're apologetic. "Oh hey, sorry we had 12 wins and 2 losses...I mean, that's not sporting of us. Here, let's completely blow this game vs. the one-dimensional Vikings and get a 3rd loss just to make sure you know we're human too. It was really classless of us to think we would go 14 and 2."

Let's throw it on 1st and goal from the 2-foot line. Run? Ha ha ha! Yeah, that's conventional wisdom but....throwing will shake things up. I mean, who needs to run on 1st down and then set up a play-action on 2nd or 3rd down? Nah. Let's get our one pass out of the way RIGHT NOW and then obviously run on the next two downs. See how smart we are? Oh crap, it didn't work?!?!? Seriously? Geez, what the heck is going on around here?"

Showtime100
12-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Although I will say that if I have to blame one player it would be Watt.

It's well past time for him to take a Ryan/Gilbride-ish swing at one of his offensive teammates...maybe that would finally motivate them to man up.

This post blows my mind. Holy crap I've seen some odd posts, but this..... :choke:

We have sarcasm emoticons, since you couldn't have been serious you might want to use them until we know you better.

AMartin56
12-24-2012, 09:24 PM
This post blows my mind. Holy crap I've seen some odd posts, but this..... :choke:

We have sarcasm emoticons, since you couldn't have been serious you might want to use them until we know you better.

I believe the sarcasm is implied when I suggest he punch a teammate. Sheesh...

Showtime100
12-25-2012, 02:52 AM
I believe the sarcasm is implied when I suggest he punch a teammate. Sheesh...

No. You could be an iidiot for all anyone knows. Of course I'm not calling you an iidiot, but the point being we wouldn't know with so few posts to go on. No big deal, but emoticons do have a purpose from time to time.

:pirate:

AMartin56
12-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Well YOU could be an idiot for needing everything spelled out for you in little pictures. Luckily we're both smarter than that. Merry Christmas.

NitroGSXR
12-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Well YOU could be an idiot for needing everything spelled out for you in little pictures. Luckily we're both smarter than that. Merry Christmas.

Say what?

:cutthroat:

In my best Tiny Tim voice... Merry Christmas everyone!

amazing80
12-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Now this is where the criticism for Gary comes into play. We're a run first team. We want to play great defense, run the ball well and limit Schaubs ability to make mistakes. So why does Gary consistently come out passing a million times to start the game? Also, why does he feel the need to pass vs good secondaries and not run and then vice versa, if the losers at espn can tell me to play OD vs the Pats because they suck vs TEs while the hell doesn't Gary figure this out and run crazy plays vs TEs.....Like the one where they PA to the left and OD down blocks all the way from left TE and then cuts out the back door on the right wide open down the field..where is that play?

where is the play AJ lines up as FB and motions out? They are creative but its RARE. Hell have you EVER seen us run a flea flicker? Tell me how amazing that would be in our system. :gamer:

infantrycak
12-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Now this is where the criticism for Gary comes into play. We're a run first team. We want to play great defense, run the ball well and limit Schaubs ability to make mistakes. So why does Gary consistently come out passing a million times to start the game?

Because as much as some fans want to keep saying it we are not a run first team. Kubiak wants a solid rushing attack. He wants the rushing and passing formations to look identical. Yes he will rush to run out the clock. None of which means run first.

Rey
12-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Because as much as some fans want to keep saying it we are not a run first team. Kubiak wants a solid rushing attack. He wants the rushing and passing formations to look identical. Yes he will rush to run out the clock. None of which means run first.

Probably has something to do with us being in the bottom half of the league in passing attempts and number 2 in rushing attempts.

infantrycak
12-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Probably has something to do with us being in the bottom half of the league in passing attempts and number 2 in rushing attempts.

Which part of rush to run out the clock did you not understand? We led the league in passing and sucked in rushing when we were playing from behind. Kubiak built this team to be exactly what the commentators have called it all season - balanced. We are not ground and pound, run it up the guy, run first.

Rey
12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Which part of rush to run out the clock did you not understand? We led the league in passing and sucked in rushing when we were playing from behind. Kubiak built this team to be exactly what the commentators have called it all season - balanced. We are not ground and pound, run it up the guy, run first.

We are more balanced that a lot of teams, yes, but we want to run the ball.

That doesn't mean we are going to be some pre-historic offense and run the ball all game long. What it means is that in this day and age, we are a running team.

If we aren't a running team, no one is.

No one rushes for more than they pass anymore.