PDA

View Full Version : Foster leaves game due to irregular heart beat

dc_txtech
12-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure what to make of this.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5469&line=252155&spln=1

Hervoyel
12-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Hope he's ok.

ajohnson80
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I was wondering what happened. I remember Hakeem had to miss a few games with that. Hope Foster gets better in time to help us in the playoffs.

fiasco west
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Had it happen to me one time...it can just pop out of nowhere. At least it did with me when it happened.

qqert
12-23-2012, 04:28 PM
i had that all afternoon watching the offense.

AMartin56
12-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Time to eat meat again...hopefully he's alright.

Brisco_County
12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Geez, I hope the guy's ok.

Playoffs
12-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Arrhythmias are not fun, but usually "fixable" although it can take time to ultimately resolve it.

Prayers out for Arian. Hope it's minor.

Marcus
12-23-2012, 05:03 PM
If this is true, then he could be done for the year.

Premier
12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Time to eat meat again...hopefully he's alright.

right.. damn those vegetables and their strain on our hearts..

EVOLVIST
12-23-2012, 05:27 PM
If this is true, then he could be done for the year.

Could be...but Hakeem Olajuwon and Heywood Jeffries had it and they were not done for the year. Theirs was atrial fibruation of course, but I would think if Foster was having ventrical fibrualtion they'd be rushing him to the hospital and would have heard a lot worse already.

I'm not anything like the doc up in here, but for atypical A-Fib, it's going to depend on how long he stays in it, if his heart regulates back no normal sinus rhythm on its own, if he needs meds, etc. They watch this closely, but it's usually not life threatening. The main thing is not being in A-fib for a prolonged amount of time and not getting a clot!

He should be fine.

CloakNNNdagger
12-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Could be...but Hakeem Olajuwon and Heywood Jeffries had it and they were not done for the year. Theirs was atrial fibruation of course, but I would think if Foster was having ventrical fibrualtion they'd be rushing him to the hospital and would have heard a lot worse already.

I'm not anything like the doc up in here, but for atypical A-Fib, it's going to depend on how long he stays in it, if his heart regulates back no normal sinus rhythm on its own, if he needs meds, etc. They watch this closely, but it's usually not life threatening. The main thing is not being in A-fib for a prolonged amount of time and not getting a clot!

He should be fine.

This is not the first time that he has had an "irregular heart beat." Pretty much as you summarized it. But, he may not even have A-fib. Just as common is "skipped beats" which will only be differentiate by the medical staff. Either can be tripped by heavy exertion, hypoglycemia, stimulants as simple as a cup of coffee, deficiency in calcium or magnesium or potassium (heavy sweating)....to mention some of the most common. The source needs to be identified if at all possible. He needs to be on a Halter heart monitor to try to capture the association. Meanwhile, the important thing is to get him out of the irregularity. This may occur spontaneously. If not, meds and/or correction of deficiencies....if that doesn't convert him, possibly defibrilation.....and if it is due to an anatomical abnormal electrical impulse site (not the normal atrium site of origin), then maybe surgical ablation (destruction) of the abnormal origin tissue. The only time this becomes a serious problem is if the abnormal heart beat is not like the occasional "skipped beats" ....just annoying, but an abnormal beat that disrupts the synchronous pumping of the heart. In the latter, blood clots can form in the heart, which can indeed be life-threatening if the patient is not placed on blood thinners...............and blood thinners and football don't mix very well at all.

More than likely, his problem will be identified and controlled without the need for blood thinners. We'll need to wait for more information

Pollardized
12-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Standing behind Matt Schaub presnap, wondering how he might f up the upcoming play, is enough to give anyone an irregular heartbeat.

AMartin56
12-23-2012, 06:00 PM
right.. damn those vegetables and their strain on our hearts..

A varied diet with moderation is better than anything extreme IMO. Dietary issues can cause irregular heartbeats.

CloakNNNdagger
12-23-2012, 06:06 PM
A varied diet with moderation is better than anything extreme IMO. Dietary issues can cause irregular heartbeats.

A strict vegan diet, which Foster is not following, does not leave you deficient in the elements that lead to irregular heart beat. Iron and B12 are the only elements that may be deficient. But these are not directly related to heart irregularity.......and he admits to meat intake which should negate even this possible dietary deficiency. Besides, most strict vegans know to take iron and B12 supplements.

Bigbots_02
12-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Damn, Hope hes ok. Playoffs are coming and all, but the most important thing is if hes ok. As much as I think hes important to the football team, His health is more important. Hate to see bad things happen to good people.

Mr. Texan
12-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Nick Scurfield@NickScurfield
Kubiak said Arian Foster had an irregular heartbeat. "Hes doing fine. Something that happened once before in practice. Just precaution."
23 Dec 12

Nick Scurfield@NickScurfield
Kubiak said there was a point when doctors told him Foster was OK, but he decided to keep him out. "I don't see any issues here." #Texans

Playoffs
12-23-2012, 06:31 PM
...More than likely, his problem will be identified and controlled without the need for blood thinners. We'll need to wait for more information

Thanks, Dr. CND.

As always, I MSR for your posts.

Showtime100
12-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Dr. CND.

As always, I MSR for your posts.

Got him, thanks for that information Doc. :tiphat:

kiwitexansfan
12-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I diagnose him with cronis overuse syndrome as a result of not enough carries being given to the backups.

mariowillshine15
12-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I diagnose him with cronis overuse syndrome as a result of not enough carries being given to the backups.

Don't Larry Johnson him. Herm Edwards gave him over 400 carries one year and he was done after that.

MEGA SWATT
12-23-2012, 08:18 PM
A strict vegan diet, which Foster is not following, does not leave you deficient in the elements that lead to irregular heart beat. Iron and B12 are the only elements that may be deficient. But these are not directly related to heart irregularity.......and he admits to meat intake which should negate even this possible dietary deficiency. Besides, most strict vegans know to take iron and B12 supplements.

Maybe not, but strict vegan diets can cause gas (I don't believe he's a strict vegan, now). MDs are slow to acknowledge the effect of GI/vagus nerve impact on heart rhythm. If his vagus nerve is acting up due to indigestion or gas (due to an empy stomach from not being fully meat-satiated for example), this can send inappropriate signals back to heart.

If he has the flu, that can also stimulate irregularities.

Hopefully its one of these diet/GI/Vagus "normal" irregularities instead of any more serious heart ailments.

HoustonFrog
12-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I have afib due to the viral myocarditis I had in 2000. The first 8 years it showed up only once every 2-3 years and I would get it converted at the hospital. In 2008 I went it for ablation and they effed it up and pierced my heart and I have to have it closed so opened up. Anyways, they didn't fix it. Now it happens about once every 4 months and I take pills and us back in 1-3 hours. So a majority of my life us in regular sinus rhythm. I take no blood thinners and my heart is in great shape despite the happenings. I can workout just the same, though saying it is easier than doing it. Many docs think mine is now vagus related because the surgery messed up my system and usually happens when I've eaten and then am in a hurry of do activities. Ironically exercise helps it go back.

PapaL
12-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Foster has an irregular heartbeat and the rest of the staff lost their heart. Go figure.

amazing80
12-24-2012, 12:32 AM
2nd time this season....that can't be good. Hopefully he gets healthy and takes care of himself

CloakNNNdagger
12-24-2012, 08:43 AM
2nd time this season....that can't be good. Hopefully he gets healthy and takes care of himself

At this point in time, with the limited information we have, I would not jump to any "terrible" conclusions. Most people have occasional, irregular heartbeats that may feel like a fluttering or racing heart. These are usually very temporary, benign and never go on to require any medical treatment.

El Tejano
12-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Glad to see someone had a heartbeat of any sorts.

CloakNNNdagger
12-24-2012, 09:55 PM
He has evidently converted to normal heartbeat.

Arian Foster ‏@ArianFoster

I appreciate all the concern and support. I am doing well. Saw a cardiologist today and everything is back to normal.

Hervoyel
12-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Glad to see someone had a heartbeat of any sorts.

He has evidently converted to normal heartbeat.

Exactly. Now that they've made sure Foster's heartbeat was normal we can start asking the obvious follow up question. "Did they have any luck finding the rest of the teams heartbeats? Anyone see any signs of life there at all?"

GP
12-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Exactly. Now that they've made sure Foster's heartbeat was normal we can start asking the obvious follow up question. "Did they have any luck finding the rest of the teams heartbeats? Anyone see any signs of life there at all?"

I never saw any.

Except for #99 and #80. Those two were trying to resuscitate the others, but it was no use. Tag 'em and bag 'em.

Brisco_County
12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but this is worth noting:

Houston Texans' fans were understandably concerned when star running back Arian Foster left early during the team's loss to the Minnesota Vikings with an irregular heartbeat. One young fan named Macie was so worried she made a sign for her favorite player, hoping that his heart felt better.

... Macie's father tweeted the picture to Foster, who quickly responded to his young fan.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/arian-foster-young-fan-worried-heart-uses-twitter-220017367--nfl.html).

Check out the picture of the letter. He used it for his Twitter avatar.