PDA

View Full Version : Megatron breaks Jerry Rice's record

Cerberus
12-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Calvin Johnson just passed Jerry Rice's receiving yards record of 1,849 yards. Johnson is closing in on 2,000 yds receiving for the year with one game remaining.

gtexan02
12-22-2012, 11:20 PM
And the madden curse is broken.

Dutchrudder
12-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Meh... Force feed a guy enough and it will happen. It helps that he's on a team with nothing to play for.

Goatcheese
12-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Dude is a better Randy Moss. Just filthy filthy talent and he seems to have the right character and commitment to be great for the long haul.

Cerberus
12-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Meh... Force feed a guy enough and it will happen. It helps that he's on a team with nothing to play for.

I'd take him on my team.

TexanSam
12-23-2012, 12:07 AM

I don't think it's force feeding. Best wr of this generation. AJ is awesome and a future HOFer, but I would take CJ over him.

Fili
12-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Lions are still 4-11...

gg no re
12-23-2012, 01:03 AM
And the madden curse is broken.

I'd say going from playoff contender to just pretenders is evidence of the curse.

Dutchrudder
12-23-2012, 01:14 AM
I'd take him on my team.

Well, duh.

I don't think it's force feeding. Best wr of this generation. AJ is awesome and a future HOFer, but I would take CJ over him.

Before tonight:

CJ: 106 rec on 174 targets 1667 yards and 15.7 ypc. 60.9% completion rate
AJ: 93 rec on 137 targets 1360 yards and 14.6 ypc. 67.8% completion rate

Give AJ those 37 more targets and statistically he would catch 25 of them for 366 yards and have 1726 yards going into the Vikings game. However, he doesn't, because he's not the only player on our offense, and he's been able to sit out the end of games during some of our blowouts. The Lions had one game this year where they won by more than 1 score, and CJ was still playing in the 4th quarter while the team was up 24 to 8 on Jacksonville.

People ask how a guy like CJ is not in the MVP or OPOY discussion, it's because stats are for losers, and that team is full of them. Congrats to CJ on this great year, but it really doesn't mean a whole lot when your team is 4-11.

TheMatrix31
12-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Too bad this record doesn't help Detroit be a better team or a city that's not in economic, social, and political ruin.

I like Calvin. Wish he wasn't stuck on a bull****, dirty team.

Corrosion
12-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Well, duh.

Before tonight:

CJ: 106 rec on 174 targets 1667 yards and 15.7 ypc. 60.9% completion rate
AJ: 93 rec on 137 targets 1360 yards and 14.6 ypc. 67.8% completion rate

Give AJ those 37 more targets and statistically he would catch 25 of them for 366 yards and have 1726 yards going into the Vikings game. However, he doesn't, because he's not the only player on our offense, and he's been able to sit out the end of games during some of our blowouts. The Lions had one game this year where they won by more than 1 score, and CJ was still playing in the 4th quarter while the team was up 24 to 8 on Jacksonville.

People ask how a guy like CJ is not in the MVP or OPOY discussion, it's because stats are for losers, and that team is full of them. Congrats to CJ on this great year, but it really doesn't mean a whole lot when your team is 4-11.

Just ask that Steelers team who gave up 47 yards of total offense to the Texans in a LOSS. Fewest yards gained by any NFL team in a win in the history of the league.

Scoreboard - Thats what matters.

Yeah , I'd like to have Megatron on this Texans team ..... dude is a special reciever but this record is not all its cracked up to be. Circumstance plays into this one.

Dude has only 5 TD's this year. Hmmm .... compare that to other leading recievers.

Scoreboard ?

Thorn
12-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Just wondering, but can someone explain to me how Calvin Johnson got the nickname Megatron?

Ryan
12-23-2012, 09:25 AM
I'd say going from playoff contender to just pretenders is evidence of the curse.

I think you're forgetting that they are the Detroit Lions.

76Texan
12-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Just wondering, but can someone explain to me how Calvin Johnson got the nickname Megatron?

Roy Williams gave him the nickname based on the character in Transformers.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/megatron-calvin-johnson-peter-chilelli.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnYhjiE4H8_POvLwjzqjCRGw4d1pgAT rNgrazIYyHnI5c2rFU6

BullNation4Life
12-23-2012, 10:04 AM

From former WR Roy Williams. When a reporter asked Williams about Johnson, he called him Megatron because of his big hands, how tall he is and how he looks on the field. Williams said he looks like a Decepticon...

Playoffs
12-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Former teammate Roy Williams named him that in 2007 because of his huge hands and overall bigger size than other WRs. Mega.

EllisUnit
12-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Considering u cant even touch a WR nowdays, i'm not impressed. Even when AJ first got in the league and was dominate they didnt have all these petty PI calls like they do now. Different time and a different game from when rice played and when AJ started his career. Take it for what its worth but i'm not impressed.

Hervoyel
12-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Dude is a better Randy Moss. Just filthy filthy talent and he seems to have the right character and commitment to be great for the long haul.

Yeah, law of averages says that sooner or later a Detroit WR would pan out.

Having said that congratulations to Calvin Johnson on the record. He earned it and I'm sure with the kind of character he's shown that he'd rather have 5 more wins than this statistical trinket.

Texecutioner
12-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Man, talk about a bunch of sore losers in this thread. Give Calvin Johnson his props for breaking a record that has stood for almost 30 years. It has stood that long for a reason. It couldn't have happened to a better guy. CJ has been a class act since entering into this league and has been cursed on for having to go to a franchise that has been a perrenial loser for the last 50 years. CJ has been one of the only bright spots on that franchise for years now. Sucks that he has to be there, but his achievement this year is nothi8ng short of amazing to stack up that many years. I don't see anyone else being really close. Seems like a lot of you are upset just because this isn't AJ breaking this record and are trying to underrate it. Calvin's last two seasons have been remarkable. I'm happy to see a guy with great character such as his to pull this off.

playa465
12-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Man, talk about a bunch of sore losers in this thread. Give Calvin Johnson his props for breaking a record that has stood for almost 30 years. It has stood that long for a reason. It couldn't have happened to a better guy. CJ has been a class act since entering into this league and has been cursed on for having to go to a franchise that has been a perrenial loser for the last 50 years. CJ has been one of the only bright spots on that franchise for years now. Sucks that he has to be there, but his achievement this year is nothi8ng short of amazing to stack up that many years. I don't see anyone else being really close. Seems like a lot of you are upset just because this isn't AJ breaking this record and are trying to underrate it. Calvin's last two seasons have been remarkable. I'm happy to see a guy with great character such as his to pull this off.

He deserves it, the guy is basically the only weapon and he stills gets it done. Plus its not his fault the Lions suck, he damn sure does his part. I heard Gruden comment on garbage time yards and then two minutes later they showed how the Lions were leading in the second half in a lot of their games. :rake:

EllisUnit
12-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Not a sore loser, just saying it is a different day in age compared to when Rice set the record. a lot easier for WRs to be dominant

Texecutioner
12-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Not a sore loser, just saying it is a different day in age compared to when Rice set the record. a lot easier for WRs to be dominant

Different era or not, this record stood for almost 30 years. No one really came that close to breaking it until now and Calvin still has another game to play. People expected Calvin to be a special WR in this league when he arrived, and he's exceeded those expectations. I highly doubt that you or anyone else would wave off this achievement if AJ was the one who broke it. Calvin deserves every accolades he is given for this.

atomictelephone
12-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm 30. Since when is 1995 almost 30 years ago?

Playoffs
12-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Calvin deserves every accolades he is given for this.

Exactly. Megatron didn't have Montana, Young throwing to him and he's the only option for that offense.

I haven't seen anyone consistently beat triple coverage besides him. AJ has, but not like Calvin.

infantrycak
12-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Man, talk about a bunch of sore losers in this thread. Give Calvin Johnson his props...

I give CJ a ton of props. Not sure who you are characterizing as sore losers. I thought Dutch's point wasn't negative and was accurate. It's also a fact Stafford is about to set the all time passing attempts record. He's at 685 attempts with 2 games remaining. That doesn't take away from CJ. Fact is Rice set the record in an incredibly pass heavy offense as well.

Texecutioner
12-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I give CJ a ton of props. Not sure who you are characterizing as sore losers. I thought Dutch's point wasn't negative and was accurate. It's also a fact Stafford is about to set the all time passing attempts record. He's at 685 attempts with 2 games remaining. That doesn't take away from CJ. Fact is Rice set the record in an incredibly pass heavy offense as well.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.......as far as what AJ "could have done" had he been targeted.

Who cares who was targeted more. Hell, I could look up the stats of a ton of WR's this year and try to nit pick things like who was targeted more between them and CJ or argue that other weapons on their team stopped them from getting more catches to try and make stats say what I want, but none of that matters. What matters is that CJ was targeted the way he was, and he executed all those plays on those targets for his team. He had to considering their defense was horrible again.

I read through the first page and this thread somehow is all about AJ and it makes a lot of fans here just sound like a bunch of people bitter and jealous about CJ on behalf of AJ. This has nothing to do with AJ. This is purely about CJ breaking a record. Shoot, I've heard all these same fans go on and on about AJ's greatness and how unbelievable it was that AJ had those back to back $1,500 yard seasons. Now Calvin Johnson goes two back to back seasons getting 1,681 and 1,892 gaining 3,573 yards in just two seasons is amazing and much better then AJ's back to back seasons, but somehow this isn't that good because of "the era" because it is someone other then AJ doing this, Every time Andre hits some sort of milestone there isn't this back handed compliments given towards him. Be consistent. WR's aren't exactly getting bigger numbers these days then what they were 10 to 15 years ago any way. If anything it is QB's that are and other players mixed into a spread offense.

Hervoyel
12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm 30. Since when is 1995 almost 30 years ago?

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's rolling"