PDA

View Full Version : Vikings' plan for J.J. Watt: 'Run the football right down his throat'

76Texan
12-21-2012, 07:53 AM
It's the NFL's fourth-best rushing offense vs. the No. 5-ranked run defense, one that has allowed the league's fewest touchdowns on the ground (three). The Vikings are ready, said right guard Brandon Fusco.

"We've seen every look -- eight-, nine-man fronts. Whatever they throw at us, we're going to be able to block it," said Fusco, who, along with backup Geoff Schwartz, will match up against Watt. "He's special. Probably the best we're going to see. But we're ready to get after him. It's a fun challenge for us. Go out there, be physical with him and do what we like to do best: run the football right down his throat, basically."

Peterson's 6.3-yard-per-carry average emboldens such confidence, as the Vikings have averaged 29 running plays per game. The Texans have seen that kind of ground commitment from opponents only twice this season.
But Houston's dynamic 3-4 defensive front is unlike any the Vikings have seen in terms of speed, pressure and mayhem.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22234559/vikings-plan-j-j-watt-run-football-right

Yeah?

I'd like to see that! :ant::kingkong:

76Texan
12-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Jared Allen is very religious these days.
He's praying a lot:

"What J.J. Watt is doing is crazy from that five-technique position," Allen said. "That's like a once-in-a-lifetime, praise-God-that-thing-is-happening because you don't see that very often."

Not ready to name Foster No. 2:

Allen was asked about Sunday's game having "the two best running backs in the league." Allen wasn't so sure about that one. He isn't ready to put Houston's Arian Foster No. 2 just yet.
"I would say Adrian [Peterson] is the best, without a doubt," Allen said. "But after what [Seattle's] Marshawn Lynch did to us [124 yards and a touchdown], hopefully Arian Foster doesn't do the same. Maybe we'll say [Arian] is third [best] right now."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/Access_Vikings.html

TheMatrix31
12-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Hopefully the thugboy Allen doesn't act like one this week.

Vinnie
12-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Awful lot of **** talking for an 8-6 team. Going to run it straight down JJ's throat, really? Daring Arian to have a monster day on them, really? Hope our players are taking note.

badboy
12-21-2012, 08:42 AM
It's the NFL's fourth-best rushing offense vs. the No. 5-ranked run defense, one that has allowed the league's fewest touchdowns on the ground (three). The Vikings are ready, said right guard Brandon Fusco.

"We've seen every look -- eight-, nine-man fronts. Whatever they throw at us, we're going to be able to block it," said Fusco, who, along with backup Geoff Schwartz, will match up against Watt. "He's special. Probably the best we're going to see. But we're ready to get after him. It's a fun challenge for us. Go out there, be physical with him and do what we like to do best: run the football right down his throat, basically."

Peterson's 6.3-yard-per-carry average emboldens such confidence, as the Vikings have averaged 29 running plays per game. The Texans have seen that kind of ground commitment from opponents only twice this season.
But Houston's dynamic 3-4 defensive front is unlike any the Vikings have seen in terms of speed, pressure and mayhem.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22234559/vikings-plan-j-j-watt-run-football-right

Yeah?

I'd like to see that! :ant::kingkong:"Chomp, chomp. Swallow. Next?" signed JJ Watt.

DX-TEX
12-21-2012, 08:58 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/swatt.gif

Did anyone not think this was coming?

76Texan
12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Awful lot of **** talking for an 8-6 team. Going to run it straight down JJ's throat, really? Daring Arian to have a monster day on them, really? Hope our players are taking note.

It's on ESPN and Yahoo Sports, and a bunch of small sports media outlets.

I think it will get to the Texans.

EllisUnit
12-21-2012, 09:06 AM
If AD values the record, his ACL and MCL I suggest he don't run towards WATT. Just a few words of wisdom for Peterson

TimeKiller
12-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Texans need their ball/clock-control offense to go into mega-mode, keep Peterson of the field. Vikings won't have time to rely on their horse, they'll have to go aerial and that's where the Texans will feast!

Also, calling out JJ Watt???? Calling out Arian Foster???? I mean, I guess at least nobody called out Andre too lol....

steelbtexan
12-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Hopefully the thugboy Allen doesn't act like one this week.

Hopefully Allen doesn't cheapshot Schaubs knee again.

House of Pain
12-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Texans need their ball/clock-control offense to go into mega-mode, keep Peterson of the field. Vikings won't have time to rely on their horse, they'll have to go aerial and that's where the Texans will feast!

Also, calling out JJ Watt???? Calling out Arian Foster???? I mean, I guess at least nobody called out Andre too lol....

And don't call out Schaub either! He may drop 268 yards and 1 TD on their asses! :kitten:

Thorn
12-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Whatever. The Texans better be ready for AP because he is a monster running back and will get his yards against anyone, including us. Doesn't mean the Viking girls will win, because they won't. But AP will get his yards nonetheless.

silentassassin
12-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Let's hope someone is stupid enough to.

dc_txtech
12-21-2012, 10:08 AM
If AD values the record, his ACL and MCL I suggest he don't run towards WATT. Just a few words of wisdom for Peterson

Not cool dude.

AD is a freaking beast and he will go over 100 against us. What we need to do is hold him to 1 or 2 yard gains on a few first and second down plays. When the Vikes are in 3rd and 5+ they might as well punt, especially without Harvin. Our offense would help us greatly if they could get an early lead forcing the Vikings to take a few more chances in the passing game. Unless their defense holds us under 20 points, I don't see us losing this game.

ThaJokaa
12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Jared Allen is very religious these days.
He's praying a lot:

"What J.J. Watt is doing is crazy from that five-technique position," Allen said. "That's like a once-in-a-lifetime, praise-God-that-thing-is-happening because you don't see that very often."

Not ready to name Foster No. 2:

Allen was asked about Sunday's game having "the two best running backs in the league." Allen wasn't so sure about that one. He isn't ready to put Houston's Arian Foster No. 2 just yet.
"I would say Adrian [Peterson] is the best, without a doubt," Allen said. "But after what [Seattle's] Marshawn Lynch did to us [124 yards and a touchdown], hopefully Arian Foster doesn't do the same. Maybe we'll say [Arian] is third [best] right now."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/Access_Vikings.html
http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/arian-foster.jpg

Double Barrel
12-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Vikings' plan for J.J. Watt: 'Run the football right down his throat'

Sounds like they are throwing down a challenge with that statement. It's not like JJ Watt needs any extra motivation, but these are bold words to put out there to give him some extra drive to kick ass.

I don't want to see Peterson hurt, but I do look forward to seeing the irresistible force against the immovable object. And I wouldn't mind seeing a look on Peterson's face of WTF just happened?

76Texan
12-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Not cool dude.

AD is a freaking beast and he will go over 100 against us. What we need to do is hold him to 1 or 2 yard gains on a few first and second down plays. When the Vikes are in 3rd and 5+ they might as well punt, especially without Harvin. Our offense would help us greatly if they could get an early lead forcing the Vikings to take a few more chances in the passing game. Unless their defense holds us under 20 points, I don't see us losing this game.

If will be even better if we take 7 minutes to score the first TD.

Reliant will be rocking and Ponder fumbles the snap.
Another 7-min TD drive.

Texans force a fumble on the kick off.
Another 7-min TD drive.

Watt zeroes in for a 5-yd TFL.
AD runs for 7.
On third and 8, Ponder threw a pick.

A 5-min TD drive by the Texans.
28-0 Texans at the half.

And we don't see AD again.
That would be crazy, wouldn't it? LOL.

OK, I'll settle for 150 yards from AD and a 30-20 Texans win. :specnatz:

TD
12-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I smell play action bomb to start the game. They've established the running game before the coin toss.

76Texan
12-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Sounds like they are throwing down a challenge with that statement. It's not like JJ Watt needs any extra motivation, but these are bold words to put out there to give him some extra drive to kick ass.

I don't want to see Peterson hurt, but I do look forward to seeing the irresistible force against the immovable object. And I wouldn't mind seeing a look on Peterson's face of WTF just happened?

You have to forgive the young man from Slippery Rock.
He's a pretty good guard, but he needs to learn not to follow Leroy Harris.

Perhaps, he was only challenging himself and his teammates???

TimeKiller
12-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Let's hope someone is stupid enough to.

I think that was Cortland Innegan's last stand, right?!

76Texan
12-21-2012, 10:42 AM
I smell play action bomb to start the game. They've established the running game before the coin toss.

I thought about that, too!

But I'd would rather we control the clock for extended period of time.
Just grind it out. Keep moving the chain.

Mr teX
12-21-2012, 10:46 AM
"Chomp, chomp. Swallow. Next?" signed JJ Watt.

I know people don't want to hear it, but the O-lineman in this story is right...They have seen every kind of front imaginable trying to stop AD & he's still been able to beast.

BUT.......................not every team they've faced has a player comparable to what Watt brings to the table. except the 9ers & i don't know what AD had against them but i do know they won.

ajohnson80
12-21-2012, 10:49 AM
LOL..I know JJ looks for motivation to play better. He keeps videos of all the fans trashing him when he got drafted. Now he has extra motivation, I don't think they will run at him for very long. My money says they rethink that strategy real quick. We will see I guess.

Big Lou
12-21-2012, 10:49 AM

I'd almost rather see the explosive Texans O. Go up big and force them away from the run. My only concern would be to give the D a break now and again.

I hope this pisses Watt off. Would be bad ass to break the sack record, and take AP down for a couple TFL's.

76Texan
12-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I'd almost rather see the explosive Texans O. Go up big and force them away from the run. My only concern would be to give the D a break now and again.

I hope this pisses Watt off. Would be bad ass to break the sack record, and take AP down for a couple TFL's.

AD is due for a little cooling period.

He can have all his yards next week. :koolaid:

Mr teX
12-21-2012, 10:55 AM
1st play out the gate....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6-MI3srSqw

76Texan
12-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I know people don't want to hear it, but the O-lineman in this story is right...They have seen every kind of front imaginable trying to stop AD & he's still been able to beast.

BUT.......................not every team they've faced has a player comparable to what Watt brings to the table. except the 9ers & i don't know what AD had against them but i do know they won.

Yeah, but quite a few of Ad's big runs were due to his own talent and the Defense missing tackles (not due to the line play, even though I give them enough of the credit they deserve.)

EllisUnit
12-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Not cool dude.

Haha wasn't saying it to wish injury on the guy, just meant Watt is a beast by that. I played against AP is high school so I a happy to see his succed.

ChampionTexan
12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
The Leroy Harris comparisons are just dumb. Last I checked, saying a guy is "Special" (as Fusco did) is not the same thing as saying the guy is "Not anything special" (as Harris did).

Inflammatory? Maybe a little, but even that aspect of this is overrated IMO.

76Texan
12-21-2012, 11:11 AM
?The Leroy Harris comparisons are just dumb. Last I checked, saying a guy is "Special" (as Fusco did) is not the same thing as saying the guy is "Not anything special" (as Harris did).

Inflammatory? Maybe a little, but even that aspect of this is overrated IMO.

Granted it's different, but saying running the ball down his throat can be seen as worse.

At least, Harris admitted them two plays.

Running the ball down your throat is an entirely different matter.
It means that I own you.

How can you read it any differently?

76Texan
12-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah, you're very special, and I'm gonna run the ball down your throat.

:smiliepalm:

Texas T
12-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Not cool dude.

I do agree and don't have a problem with it. He can put up 180 yards as long as none of them get in the End Zone.

Remember CJs "coming out" game was against us. 150 yards of useless time wasting.

Double Barrel
12-21-2012, 12:12 PM
We should make a deal with the Vikings. We'll let Peterson have 150 yards if you let JJ have 3 sacks. :D

cdollaz
12-21-2012, 01:44 PM
We should make a deal with the Vikings. We'll let Peterson have 150 yards if you let JJ have 3 sacks. :D

Michael Strahan approves of this post.

gg no re
12-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Michael Strahan approves of this post.

Jared Allen pouts.

Playoffs
12-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Common to run right at a team's best lineman. It worked against Mario because his first step was so quick it he took himself out of plays.

But J.J. ain't no one-trick pony. I expect AP to get his. I expect J.J. to get some, too.

Wolf6151
12-21-2012, 03:29 PM
We shouldn't be worried about Watt and the Vikings running right at him. We should be worried about Cody and the Vikings running right at him. Cody got pushed around far to much by single blockers in the Colts game. Cody needs to be able to hold the LOS and our ILB's need to be able to step up and stop the run. We're weak at both NT and ILB, and both positions will be exposed by the Vikings.

BullNation4Life
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM

Yeah?

I'd like to see that! :ant::kingkong:

"only got one thing to say about this...

FEED ME MORE! FEED ME MORE! FEED ME MORE!"

- J. J. Watt

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0927/nfl_u_watt1_sy_576.jpg

klockWork
12-21-2012, 05:32 PM
'Run the football down his throat'

I think the Vikes think Watt is just a pass rusher when they made that remarks. You only say that to a guy if he's one dimensional. I guess they don't realize Watt along with Wilfork and Justin Smith is one of the best run stopper in football.
That's okay. Let them think that and enjoy it blow up in their face.

thunderkyss
12-21-2012, 05:36 PM

If will be even better if we take 7 minutes to score the first TD.

This...... I want to see Peterson on the sideline with his helmet waiting to get in the game... ala Ricky Williams.

thunderkyss
12-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah, but quite a few of Ad's big runs were due to his own talent and the Defense missing tackles (not due to the line play, even though I give them enough of the credit they deserve.)

Right, some of the highlights, you can see he runs into a roadblock, then bounces back & takes it the other way. I'm sure his line helps, but they ain't seen Jj Watt & Antonio Smith yet.

Good point about the missed tackles. Has anyone gone back & watched the last three games, paying special attention to Danieal Manning? I think he's trying too hard. He's taken some bad angles & missed quite a few tackles.

Tailgate
12-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Right, some of the highlights, you can see he runs into a roadblock, then bounces back & takes it the other way. I'm sure his line helps, but they ain't seen Jj Watt & Antonio Smith yet.

Good point about the missed tackles. Has anyone gone back & watched the last three games, paying special attention to Danieal Manning? I think he's trying too hard. He's taken some bad angles & missed quite a few tackles.

I have noticed our safeties have been taking bad angles lately in the run support. At least I noticed it a few times. Almost as if they cant decide to attack at the los, or play it safe.... They pull up halfway there then they end up chasing the rb. Either commit to the hole hard and finish with fury, or take a safe angle at a slower pace.

ObsiWan
12-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Whatever. The Texans better be ready for AP because he is a monster running back and will get his yards against anyone, including us. Doesn't mean the Viking girls will win, because they won't. But AP will get his yards nonetheless.

I'd be careful how I spoke about "Viking girls"...
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEWeNCS51ywt3SayzoVYcGJkUP1gp7s 5F2dsqg-Jn9NX0tDWWW7Q http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6a5WnCSoV51GjzXI9lmrcG-UENf56mI02fnUOar64Fg6aeK9rhttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX7bk3nR_bUChQlfZDIeCLiJ5k7vTDi PsJePssZBBnxsvTMaIW
...just sayin...

:D

pec0sb0b
12-21-2012, 06:31 PM
If Ray Rice was a junior-sized burrito, what's Adrian Peterson on the menu? Seeking out the schoolyard bully on the first day of school to call him out is, I guess, one way to do things...could end badly, though.

Texan_Bill
12-21-2012, 06:39 PM
If Ray Rice was a junior-sized burrito, what's Adrian Peterson on the menu? Seeking out the schoolyard bully on the first day of school to call him out is, I guess, one way to do things...could end badly, though.

Jack in the Box 2 tacos for 99 cents. :kitten:

I kid...

I said it in another thread and that is if the Texans can keep Peterson somewhat in check (and by check I mean less than 180), the Texans will still win, barring Jared Allen lunging his helmet into Schaub's knee. The Texans' offense is way more balanced.

mussop
12-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Sounds like Kubiaks strategy when we played NE. "Lets run the ball down Wilforks throat". Yeh Remember how well that worked?

amazing80
12-21-2012, 07:58 PM
There you go, feed the BEAST with ignorance.....:chickendance:

ObsiWan
12-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Sounds like Kubiaks strategy when we played NE. "Lets run the ball down Wilforks throat". Yeh Remember how well that worked?

We don't have a Wilfolk. We have a Cody without a Cushing behind him.

mussop
12-21-2012, 09:27 PM
We don't have a Wilfolk. We have a Cody without a Cushing behind him.

No we have a Watt. He is our best defender and if they want to run at him then I say bring it. If anyone is going to step up and except that challenge its Watt the best defensive player in the entire NFL. :whip:

76Texan
12-21-2012, 10:21 PM
No we have a Watt. He is our best defender and if they want to run at him then I say bring it. If anyone is going to step up and except that challenge its Watt the best defensive player in the entire NFL. :whip:

Right on , there we go!

Norg
12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
yeah outside people seem to forget JJ is a DE in a 3-4 !!!!!!!!!! how he makes plays is crazy in a 3-4 OLB are usually get all the flashy plays