PDA

View Full Version : So, Reliant is getting a badass new display screen

Wolf
12-19-2012, 05:06 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Reliant-Stadium-to-have-widest-video-displays-in-pro-sports/fb89292e-3349-495e-8e12-174a2dd8c526

Largest in NFL and MLB and widest in all pro sports

More info to follow via their facebook page

PapaL
12-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Put that in your glory hole Jerry Jones!

qqert
12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
i hope they put it to the side/ends.
having one in the middle wouldnt make sense w. a retractable roof!

NitroGSXR
12-19-2012, 05:31 PM

The article seemed to imply that the current setup would be replaced by the TV. I'm thinking less advertising space and more screen. Love this idea! Thank you, Texans!!

Now... to await the upcoming season ticket holder bill...

TxDavid
12-19-2012, 05:42 PM
The article seemed to imply that the current setup would be replaced by the TV. I'm thinking less advertising space and more screen. Love this idea! Thank you, Texans!!

Now... to await the upcoming season ticket holder bill...

Well, we all knew the prices were going up next year again anyways, so at least we get a pretty cool video board. And I hope you're right & they get rid of the ads and make it fit the whole area. I haven't missed a home game since 2003 and I can't tell you the names of any of those advertisers.

NitroGSXR
12-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Well, we all knew the prices were going up next year again anyways, so at least we get a pretty cool video board. And I hope you're right & they get rid of the ads and make it fit the whole area. I haven't missed a home game since 2003 and I can't tell you the names of any of those advertisers.

I'm certain Coca cola is one. Maybe HEB?

My only concern with this is... they remove the closed captioning feature because of size. They have captioning for the games but it's poorly placed and is within that billboard. Despite that, I appreciated it. They are not legally obligated to caption them.

TxDavid
12-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm certain Coca cola is one. Maybe HEB?

My only concern with this is... they remove the closed captioning feature because of size. They have captioning for the games but it's poorly placed and is within that billboard. Despite that, I appreciated it. They are not legally obligated to caption them.

I can tell you that I look to the captioning many times also, Nitro. Especially when the refs are talking and the crowd is loud. It is a valuable resource that affects many people, on both sides of the hearing spectrum.

When I was in Detroit, they did not offer closed captioning in the stadium, and the crowd was so rambunctious that we had no idea what the refs said on the non-TD. We didn't find out until after the game.

NitroGSXR
12-19-2012, 06:38 PM
I can tell you that I look to the captioning many times also, Nitro. Especially when the refs are talking and the crowd is loud. It is a valuable resource that affects many people, on both sides of the hearing spectrum.

When I was in Detroit, they did not offer closed captioning in the stadium, and the crowd was so rambunctious that we had no idea what the refs said on the non-TD. We didn't find out until after the game.

You know what? Anybody can respond. I'm curious... how can we let the Texans know to encourage them to keep the captioning? I would like to write them a letter. I'm excited about the big screen but I am increasingly concerned that it will push the captioning off the board.

False Start
12-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Saw this over on Clutch Fans:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/alancamacho/3yel3daw.jpg

It will make Skeltor's look like an I pad. :littlelol:

NitroGSXR
12-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Sh*t. We have a real problem then.

AnthonyE
12-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Sh*t. We have a real problem then.

I saw that image a few months ago here on TT, so I'm guessing its just a fan image. Hopefully they dont get rid of the captioning, I don't think they will. Aspect ratio on that screen is pretty ridiculous. I figure they'll keep it at 16:9.

ObsiWan
12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I saw that image a few months ago here on TT, so I'm guessing its just a fan image. Hopefully they dont get rid of the captioning, I don't think they will. Aspect ratio on that screen is pretty ridiculous. I figure they'll keep it at 16:9.

Yeah... since it won't be completed until next August, that's got to be a fan's rendition.

I'd go ahead and write your letter Nitro.
Can't hurt.
Maybe send a note to T.C.'s blog, put the Chronic to good use.
And if you start some sort of petition to send Uncle Bob's way, I'll sign it.
:pepper:

False Start
12-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Yeah, I figured as much.

CloakNNNdagger
12-19-2012, 09:18 PM
52 feet tall and 277 feet wide.............a wingspan greater than a BOEING 747!

Now poor Jerruh is going to have to tear down his new stadium, replace his video board with a bigger one........and then build a newer bigger stadium around it.:vincepalm:

paycheck71
12-19-2012, 09:34 PM
52 feet tall and 277 feet wide.............a wingspan greater than a BOEING 747!

That is most definitely not 16:9

Mimayer1985
12-19-2012, 10:23 PM
That's insanity and that its actually two of them will make Jerry cry at night. Can't wait to be able to say yeah we got a better team and two screens bigger than your one

BeerTastesLikeVictory
12-19-2012, 10:24 PM
That is most definitely not 16:9

The video (replays and such) should still be 16:9 just PIP'd in over a base layer. The cameras will still capture and output 16:9 for TV format and if they stretched it would probably look very strange.

Texan_Bill
12-19-2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Reliant-Stadium-to-have-widest-video-displays-in-pro-sports/fb89292e-3349-495e-8e12-174a2dd8c526

Largest in NFL and MLB and widest in all pro sports

More info to follow via their facebook page

Well, actually we've known this for a long time.

Playoffs
12-20-2012, 09:38 AM
That's an odd size. At 52.5 feet tall a 16:9 screen would be 93.3 feet wide.

Mimayer1985
12-20-2012, 10:15 AM
I bet it's goin to have all the advertisement on the sides like the ones that surround our current screens

Rey
12-20-2012, 10:36 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that this will be paid for by tax payers...Is that accurate?

NitroGSXR
12-20-2012, 10:43 AM
If one of you are radio station callers, PLEASE ask about closed captioning. It has to be asked. I am going attempt to write a letter sometime this weekend but need to know their intent regarding captioning options.

ChampionTexan
12-20-2012, 10:56 AM
If one of you are radio station callers, PLEASE ask about closed captioning. It has to be asked. I am going attempt to write a letter sometime this weekend but need to know their intent regarding captioning options.

I'm curious - what exactly is close captioned on the existing video displays? (And I only ask that because I've never considered these huge displays in noisy venues such as reliant to really have any audio function to begin with).

NitroGSXR
12-20-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm curious - what exactly is close captioned on the existing video displays? (And I only ask that because I've never considered these huge displays in noisy venues such as reliant to really have any real audio function to begin with).

I'm ASSUMING everything that's said over the PA system (NOT what's being broadcast on regular TV). The current captioning is poorly located. It is to the right and upper of the screens on both ends of the stadium. PAST the advertisements which is why it's poorly located. Needs to be closer to the screen. Like I said, I still appreciated it tremendously.

2012Champs
12-20-2012, 11:09 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that this will be paid for by tax payers...Is that accurate?

yes the Texans and the Rodeo will loan some of the money to get the project going and then will be paid back by the sports authority through the taxes collected for the hotel/rental car tax

Double Barrel
12-20-2012, 11:26 AM

At least we've got our priorities in the right place...

michaelm
12-20-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm ASSUMING everything that's said over the PA system (NOT what's being broadcast on regular TV). The current captioning is poorly located. It is to the right and upper of the screens on both ends of the stadium. PAST the advertisements which is why it's poorly located. Needs to be closer to the screen. Like I said, I still appreciated it tremendously.

I'm going to guess that closed captioning will still be displayed on this new video board. I agree with the earlier comments saying that the replay video will take up a 16x9 area in the center of the board, and advertising, stats, closed captioning, etc... will be displayed on the sides of the replay video area. just a guess, though.

Goodwrench3
12-20-2012, 12:29 PM
compared to other displays!

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/281811378061316097/photo/1

BADASS!

BIG TORO
12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I bet it's goin to have all the advertisement on the sides like the ones that surround our current screens

That would ruin the game day experience!

Mimayer1985
12-20-2012, 12:40 PM
So yeah that is an extraordinary long video board. Is gotta have digital ads and stuff cause if it were full video picture Aj will look like a 400lbs nose tackle. There's goin to be a bunch of different images on the screen at once. I have a feeling that the actual game replays and stuff aren't goin to be much bigger than we already have. What's the size of them now

StarStruck
12-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I think it's great and hope it is similar to Cowboys than Toyota. IMO, Toyota's new screen is too busy.

Glad some of the fans have soften a bit about the big screens because I remember the comments about ours up to hoping someone would kick a ball and break it. :)

TD
12-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Sort of LINK (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8926158)

The new boards are expected to cost about $16 million. Commissioners are still negotiating the details but tell us they will be paid for with county restoration funds. The Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will loan the county money up-front.

"The money that goes into this R&R fund comes from hotel/motel tax, rental car tax, from the ticket tax," Shafer said.

"So is there any chance that ticket prices could go up to help pay for this?" we asked Shafer.

"No, not at all," he said.

Seems like it is being paid for as it should. I read the old boards are at the end of their life cycle anyway, so its not like spending for spending's sake.

Ntiro - Sounds to me like you should not only contact the Texans but also the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation about Closed Captioning. I would think all events....especially the rodeo would benefit from an upgraded CC system.....My hearing is fine and I can't make out the PA 1/2 the time.

AnthonyE
12-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Sort of LINK (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8926158)

Seems like it is being paid for as it should. I read the old boards are at the end of their life cycle anyway, so its not like spending for spending's sake.

Ntiro - Sounds to me like you should not only contact the Texans but also the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation about Closed Captioning. I would think all events....especially the rodeo would benefit from an upgraded CC system.....My hearing is fine and I can't make out the PA 1/2 the time.

Yeah, the south EZ's board's little pixels go out pretty regularly. I thought they should have been replaced last year or the year before.

thunderkyss
12-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I just rewatched the Titans game today.

Their Big Screen is huge.

Texan_Bill
12-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I love my city:

First domed stadium-------> Eighth Wonder of the World

Invention of astroturf

Invention of the "flak-jacket"

First retactable roof....... In the NFL, that is. (Reliant)

Largest screen in the NFL (Reliant), circa 2002

Closest seats to the playing field (Reliant), circa 2002

First (actually second, only to the Astrodome) with a natural surface in a dome stadium), circa 1965, circa 2002

Toyota Center with the largest screen in the NBA.

And finally now, we'll have the biggest screens (again, for the second time)... Suck it Jerrah!!!

Premier
12-20-2012, 11:03 PM
i like how all 3 of our major stadiums/arenas have giant boards..

http://www.stadiumpage.com/mmp/MMP_042611_board1.jpg
http://p.twimg.com/A60DcA5CcAIONHZ.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-kx9IuCEAA5Ajd.jpg:large

Hookem Horns
12-21-2012, 06:22 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img4/4039/reliantoldnew.jpg

OK, time to bring back up something that I thought of a few years ago. That was to recreate or animate some of the old Astrodome scoreboard features like the bull and shooting cowboy and have it play on the new scoreboard every once in awhile as a tribute to Houston sports history. This could easily be animated and played on the new scoreboard.

El Tejano
12-21-2012, 08:25 AM
That red and white checkered table cloth is looking real glitzy these days.

FirstTexansFan
12-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Heck of an idea there HH... MSR

TheIronDuke
12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
I love my city:

First domed stadium-------> Eighth Wonder of the World

Invention of astroturf

Invention of the "flak-jacket"

First retactable roof....... In the NFL, that is. (Reliant)

Largest screen in the NFL (Reliant), circa 2002

Closest seats to the playing field (Reliant), circa 2002

First (actually second, only to the Astrodome) with a natural surface in a dome stadium), circa 1965, circa 2002

Toyota Center with the largest screen in the NBA.

And finally now, we'll have the biggest screens (again, for the second time)... Suck it Jerrah!!!

I'm shocked you didn't mention the birthplace of the breast implant!

StarStruck
12-21-2012, 09:22 AM

LOL - The real Silicon Valley. (I remember that from The Crooked E)

Oh, the scoreboard that displays Houston football history is pretty cool. I was really disappointed when Bud had the old scoreboard modified.

qqert
12-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Here's a better visualization of just how big the new Reliant Stadium display boards will be. Graphic courtesy of Bleacher Report via Reddit. Info: http://bit.ly/WpH0b3 with Jon Voreh, Ivan Austin and Alfredo Guerra.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/37073_10151158113416314_1999006243_n.jpg

Texan_Bill
12-21-2012, 07:43 PM

LMFAO!!! I actually forgot that at the time of the post, but thank you!!! :texanbill:

MSR!

CretorFrigg
12-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Things are about to get a little bigger in Texas.

The Houston Texans announced that they will begin construction soon on what will be the biggest video screen in the NFL, besting the video screen at Cowboys Stadium by about 3,000 square feet. The new video board was approved on Wednesday by the Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201212/texans-build-nfls-largest-video-board

CloakNNNdagger
12-21-2012, 09:05 PM
In the Tailgate section

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97098http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97098

mussop
12-21-2012, 09:19 PM
check out the new houston texans theme song for this year! Jam this before games and get hyped for our texans!!!!
>>>rome feat. Bostin- chasing that ring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wut2vt9gvb4&feature=share

wow!!! That song sucks!!!!!

CretorFrigg
12-21-2012, 09:24 PM
In the Tailgate section

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97098http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97098

Whoops, sorry, didn't see that there. Mods please merge.

Allstar
12-21-2012, 09:26 PM
This should def help the city's Super Bowl cause.

infantrycak
12-21-2012, 09:39 PM
CHECK OUT THE NEW HOUSTON TEXANS THEME SONG FOR THIS YEAR! JAM THIS BEFORE GAMES AND GET HYPED FOR OUR TEXANS!!!!
>>>ROME Feat. Bostin- Chasing That Ring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUT2Vt9GVB4&feature=share

Post yet another off-topic repeat of this and you are headed out of here. I left this one because it is the closest you got.

Join in but don't spam up the MB.

eriadoc
12-22-2012, 03:09 AM

A retractable roof that never retracts doesn't make much sense either.

infantrycak
12-22-2012, 03:35 AM

I actually liked the season when the roof was broken and we got rained on etc. I understand the high temp concerns but wish the limits would be broadened some.

thunderkyss
12-22-2012, 05:12 AM

The roof has been open all week.

Showtime100
12-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Goody. Houstonians are getting a BIG screen to see the game........at the game. Austinites are going to a bar because we can't watch it on TV.

Texans front office.....you suck.

eriadoc
12-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I actually liked the season when the roof was broken and we got rained on etc. I understand the high temp concerns but wish the limits would be broadened some.

I understand the 80 part of the limit, but not the 50. 50 degrees is awesome football weather.

TexansBlood
12-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I like the roof being closed, walking out the stadium with my ears ringing is a nice feeling.

qqert
12-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I like the roof being closed, walking out the stadium with my ears ringing is a nice feeling.

awesome idea!
they can replace the roof with a paraboloid structure that can dynamically focus all reflected sound onto the field position of the opposing QB!

need this patented asap!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Speedy
12-22-2012, 02:21 PM

awesome idea!
they can replace the roof with a paraboloid structure that can dynamically focus all reflected sound onto the field position of the opposing QB!

need this patented asap!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It can get just as loud when it's open.

NitroGSXR
12-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Maybe so but no way does the stadium rumble as much. When it's closed, I can really feel the crowd roaring. Open... is complete silence for me.

ChampionTexan
12-22-2012, 02:28 PM

This would seem to be acoustically counter-intuitive. Can you explain?

infantrycak
12-22-2012, 02:39 PM
This would seem to be acoustically counter-intuitive. Can you explain?

The roof has a marginal effect. The excitement of the crowd has a far greater one. JMO.

BIG TORO
12-22-2012, 09:16 PM
The roof has a marginal effect. The excitement of the crowd has a far greater one. JMO.

That's how I feel about it. The stadium in Seattle is open air and is one of the loudest in the NFL. Sitting in the bull pen you can tell before anyone even scores what mood the crowd is in. It's almost like if the crowd is confident then we win, if the crowd feels like we are going to lose that feeling spreads throughout the stadium and consequently we win.

Wolf
04-15-2013, 07:49 PM
''From a video perspective, we will be able to provide the fans similar or even better than they have in their homes from a video presentation,'' Rootes said. ''We will have the clarity of high definition for the first time. This is the type of board that will pay dividends for us for years to come.''
The Texans wanted the screens to remain in the end zones as to not take away from the action on the field.
''That's where we want the primary focus,'' Rootes said of the field. ''But during break in the action, we'll have that available up in each end zone for the fans.''
The new boards will also have the capability to access a number of different feeds, allowing highlights from games outside of the stadium to be shown, which wasn't possible in the past. They'll also have statistics from the Texans game as well as scores and statistics from around the league on the boards.
Another addition will be a new slow-motion instant replay machine that will have four extra camera angles for replays.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texans-video-boards-worlds-largest-222831583--nfl.html

Wolf
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Houston TexansThe demolition of the Reliant Stadium videoboards is underway. Each videoboard is comprised of 1,170 panels that are 18x18 inches & 35lbs each!*
Learn about the new videoboard:*http://bit.ly/WpH0b3
Check out the renderings:*http://bit.ly/14tDrc5

NitroGSXR
04-16-2013, 04:00 PM
http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/01/21/54096.htm

I'm certainly not asking for all monitors either but it would be in everyone's best interest not to go from having captioning to none.

Don't drop the ball, Texans!!

Premier
06-15-2013, 06:45 PM
one more to go..

http://i.imgur.com/Lp0yAwq.jpg

Premier
06-21-2013, 08:49 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNOZGWvCUAAg1R9.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNOZryLCMAE7VZC.jpg:large

ObsiWan
06-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Wonder how it will be configured...
How much screen real estate for the game and how much for ads and such...?

CloakNNNdagger
06-21-2013, 03:13 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Our Scoreboard is larger overall than the Cowboys'. However, I wonder if the Cowboys' screen is not of better viewing dimensions.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/multisite_files/codesign/imagecache/inline-large/inline/2013/01/1671560-inline-nfl-scoreboard4-04.jpg

paycheck71
06-21-2013, 06:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Our Scoreboard is larger overall than the Cowboys'. However, I wonder if the Cowboys' screen is not of better viewing dimensions.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/multisite_files/codesign/imagecache/inline-large/inline/2013/01/1671560-inline-nfl-scoreboard4-04.jpg

The Cowboys screen is 16:9, so the modern TV picture fits into that screen perfectly and fills it. I'm sure the middle portion (as close to 16:9 as is practical) of the new Texans boards will be used for video, and the rest will be used for ads, stats, etc. So, the TV picture size itself will be smaller than at the Cowboys stadium.

CloakNNNdagger
06-21-2013, 09:58 PM
The Cowboys screen is 16:9, so the modern TV picture fits into that screen perfectly and fills it. I'm sure the middle portion (as close to 16:9 as is practical) of the new Texans boards will be used for video, and the rest will be used for ads, stats, etc. So, the TV picture size itself will be smaller than at the Cowboys stadium.

Substantially smaller if you extropolate the 16:9 from the illustration above.

NitroGSXR
06-21-2013, 11:25 PM
All I know is that I see the closed captioning screen was removed.

*paces back and forth nervously*

paycheck71
06-22-2013, 01:46 AM
Substantially smaller if you extropolate the 16:9 from the illustration above.

Yes, and I don't really have a problem with that. That giant TV at the Cowboys stadium is a distraction, IMO, and makes it very challenging to watch the game on the field rather than on TV, unless you're sitting in the lower level.

The Reliant video boards are in the end zones rather than right in front of your eyes, so there shouldn't be a problem with distracting fans from actually watching the action on the field.

thunderkyss
06-22-2013, 05:18 AM
All I know is that I see the closed captioning screen was removed.

*paces back and forth nervously*

I doubt the closed captioning will go away. Like they're saying, the thing is too wide to display any "reasonable" resolution. Some of the screen is going to be used for advertising. Some of it will be used for the closed captioning.

The actual replay will only be marginally bigger than it is now.

disaacks3
06-22-2013, 09:53 AM
I doubt the closed captioning will go away. Like they're saying, the thing is too wide to display any "reasonable" resolution. Some of the screen is going to be used for advertising. Some of it will be used for the closed captioning.

The actual replay will only be marginally bigger than it is now. Judging by the scale, I'd suspect a 100% increase. (twice as tall, teh remaining width for other uses)

Ryan
06-25-2013, 02:13 AM
I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, but has there been any information about the stadium potentially getting WiFi? It is something that it desperately needs. If I fail to set up my fantasy lineup or a surprise injury comes up, I wouldn't be able to change it and that's happened before. I know some people will say you should be there to watch the game and I agree, but for timeouts and halftime having access to my nfl redzone or my fantasy teams would be nice.

Tailgate
06-25-2013, 08:52 AM

From what I understand, the ads will be basically the same as before... Only digitalized. Bummer I know. But im sure they can break away from them every now and then to show off its true potential

DX-TEX
06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, but has there been any information about the stadium potentially getting WiFi? It is something that it desperately needs. If I fail to set up my fantasy lineup or a surprise injury comes up, I wouldn't be able to change it and that's happened before. I know some people will say you should be there to watch the game and I agree, but for timeouts and halftime having access to my nfl redzone or my fantasy teams would be nice.

McNair mentioned Wifi when they did the press conference after getting the Superbowl awarded.

CloakNNNdagger
06-25-2013, 12:33 PM

McNair mentioned Wifi when they did the press conference after getting the Superbowl awarded.

Even though Goodell has said that the goal was to have every NFL stadium delivering free Wi-Fi to their fans, only 8 have any semblance of the service as of the end of 2012 [New England Patriots, New York Jets and the Giants (who share MetLife Stadium), the Atlanta Falcons, the Indianapolis Colts, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the New Orleans Saints, the Carolina Panthers and the Miami Dolphins]. Gillette Stadium is the only Stadium to date which can deliver Wi-Fi throughout the stadium. There are many problems to overcome.........and it is expensive.........which we all know will be passed on to the fans. The Patriots tickets were the 2nd most expensive in the league last year........only 10 cents less expensive than the most expensive Jets tickets.

NFL dangles apps and Wi-Fi to boost lagging attendance (http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/18/technology/mobile/patriots-wifi/index.html)

Bringing in Wi-Fi and a ton of multimedia bling sounds promising. Here's the catch: Delivering that experience to 70,000 fans packed into a relatively small area is extremely tricky. If you've ever tried texting, calling or -- God help you -- uploading a photo to Facebook (FB) while you're at a game or concert, you're aware of the problem. Washington's wireless networks jammed during President Obama's 2009 inauguration, and planners are braced for a repeat of that during his second inauguration on Monday.

Smartphones quickly become dumb phones when tens of thousands of people all try to access the same cell towers simultaneously.

Streaming video to individual devices throughout an entire football stadium requires hundreds of radios strategically placed throughout the arena, perfectly aimed and calibrated so they won't interfere with other equipment. A poorly placed radio could wipe out Wi-Fi for an entire section, as could radios placed close to television broadcast equipment.

The Patriots hired networking solutions provider Enterasys -- a Cisco (CSCO, Fortune 500) competitor -- to build their network.

Enterasys essentially treated Gillette as a medium-sized town squashed into a tiny, dense area. It created a mini-Internet service provider (like a Comcast (CMCSA) or Time Warner Cable (TWC, Fortune 500)) inside the stadium, including a networking core that connects directly to the Internet. Enterasys custom-designed 300 Wi-Fi access points and snaked thousands of feet of cable throughout the venue.

It's a multi-million dollar project that many bigger names expressed interest in, but no other competitors were willing to guarantee the results, according to the Patriots' Kraft. The network at Gillette has performed well throughout the season, he said. It peaked at 10,000 people using the Wi-Fi simultaneously during last Sunday's playoff win against the Houston Texans, with no service disruptions.

Premier
06-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Yes, and I don't really have a problem with that. That giant TV at the Cowboys stadium is a distraction, IMO, and makes it very challenging to watch the game on the field rather than on TV, unless you're sitting in the lower level.

The Reliant video boards are in the end zones rather than right in front of your eyes, so there shouldn't be a problem with distracting fans from actually watching the action on the field.

thats the prbelm at toyota center, had seats in a suite and i would catch myself watching the game on the screen. despite telling myself to watch the action on the court, i kept staring at that screen..

theres a video on HT.com demonstrating exactly how it will handle the live video and it still looks great..
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/HD-video-board-renderings/ee61f382-4a1c-43de-a848-e19e1183dbaf

ObsiWan
06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
thats the prbelm at toyota center, had seats in a suite and i would catch myself watching the game on the screen. despite telling myself to watch the action on the court, i kept staring at that screen..

theres a video on HT.com demonstrating exactly how it will handle the live video and it still looks great..
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/HD-video-board-renderings/ee61f382-4a1c-43de-a848-e19e1183dbaf

Not bad... looks (to me anyway) like a 20-60-20 split. The center 60% has the game action and the two 20% sections have ads, player info, down/distance/crowd noise "suggestions?" on them.
This newfangled thingie might just work.
:hmmm:

CloakNNNdagger
06-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Not bad... looks (to me anyway) like a 20-60-20 split. The center 60% has the game action and the two 20% sections have ads, player info, down/distance/crowd noise "suggestions?" on them.
This newfangled thingie might just work.
:hmmm:

Your ruler tells a different story than mine..........mine says that the game viewing display doesn't make up any more than 45% of the total viewing display????

thunderkyss
06-25-2013, 05:37 PM

I can get unlimited WiFi at McDonalds, for the price of a cup of coffee. Doesn't make sense to pay $35 to park, $65 to get in the door, $7.5 for a beer, & $6 for a slice of pizza & no WiFi.

Speedy
06-25-2013, 05:43 PM
http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/48e252b47170ff2f52941c4c99abe0ca735c8e9.jpg

The new board, that will be showing game action and replays covers 3 full sections of the 3rd deck in the end zone.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/04525ac4227c8ffc5b54a39bb451a1399561c81.JPG

The old board fell short of 3 full sections. The red lines in that pic show the new board's width.

CloakNNNdagger
06-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I can get unlimited WiFi at McDonalds, for the price of a cup of coffee. Doesn't make sense to pay $35 to park, $65 to get in the door, $7.5 for a beer, & $6 for a slice of pizza & no WiFi.

Well, don't worry, when Reliant finally has unlimited WiFi, they'll probably be charging you $50 to park $100 to get in the door, $15 a beer. $12 for a slice of pizza, $10 for a cup of coffee, $10 to pee, $15 to poop, and $100 dollars a game for a proprietary app to receive your free unlimited Wi-Fi...................:chef:

Texan_Bill
06-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Hell friends.... Forget about what chicks tell you that "bigger is not better"!! Bigger is BETTER!!!

Given my current eyesight, BIGGER is BETTER!!! I'm pretty sure that I don't give a rat's as about x:y resolution or pixilation... I just want to be able to see the screen and trust what I see -or-saw as it were!!!

*Disclaimer*

People that know me will get my sense of humor........ New folks will have no idea what I'm talking about.

PapaL
06-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Hell friends.... Forget about what chicks tell you that "bigger is not better"!! Bigger is BETTER!!!

Given my current eyesight, BIGGER is BETTER!!! I'm pretty sure that I don't give a rat's as about x:y resolution or pixilation... I just want to be able to see the screen and trust what I see -or-saw as it were!!!

*Disclaimer*

People that know me will get my sense of humor........ New folks will have no idea what I'm talking about.

Que? \_(ツ)_/

Premier
06-26-2013, 09:59 AM
http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/48e252b47170ff2f52941c4c99abe0ca735c8e9.jpg

The new board, that will be showing game action and replays covers 3 full sections of the 3rd deck in the end zone.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/04525ac4227c8ffc5b54a39bb451a1399561c81.JPG

The old board fell short of 3 full sections. The red lines in that pic show the new board's width.

the bottom pic does not look 16:9, more 21:9. if the new board utilizes a 21:9 aspect ratio, then it will cover closer to 5 sections.. if anythig, they atleast have the option to change aspect ratios at will..

Texan_Bill
06-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Que? \_(ツ)_/

I have no idea bro! It made sense at the time I posted it.

I think I was speaking to "duality of man... Born to kill on one side and peace" on the other...

Seriously though, I think what I was saying is that with the current screen and sitting in the Bull Pen coupled with becoming an old bastard, I need all the help I can get...

Example given: My cell phone

http://www.bubblews.com/assets/images/news/797214696_1366937742.jpg

Notice the size of the keys! :choke:

Heath Shuler
06-30-2013, 11:20 AM
video from some cowgirl fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz71Ne6z9bE&feature=youtu.be

TexanSam
06-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Looks pretty cool. What's with that dudes quack laugh at the end though?

Heath Shuler
06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Looks pretty cool. What's with that dudes quack laugh at the end though?

I'm assuming he is a dumbass cowgirl fan.

StarStruck
07-01-2013, 03:41 AM
I'm assuming he is a dumbass cowgirl fan.

I must agree with you on that one. If he's dumb enough to care, he earned the title.

ObsiWan
07-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Your ruler tells a different story than mine..........mine says that the game viewing display doesn't make up any more than 45% of the total viewing display????

Oh... I was just eyeballing it.
just a sec... Let me find my digital calipers.....
:D

yeah... just roughly it is more like 30-40-30... so 40% actual TV-type stuff and 60% game info/ads

Heath Shuler
07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
I must agree with you on that one. If he's dumb enough to care, he earned the title.

You seem way too classy to be a Cowboy fan.:thumbup

Texan_Bill
07-02-2013, 10:26 PM

I may or may not be drunk, BUT WTF was up with the Dolphins highlights????

Texan_Bill
07-02-2013, 10:29 PM
You seem way too classy to be a Cowboy fan.:thumbup

She is!! StarStruck is extremely cool.............. for a cowgurls fan!! ;)

Wolf
08-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Here you go

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-unveil-largest-indoor-HD-video-displays/0a10f00b-fb4f-4c48-bc4b-8a02ad6343c8

thunderkyss
08-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Here you go

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-unveil-largest-indoor-HD-video-displays/0a10f00b-fb4f-4c48-bc4b-8a02ad6343c8

Say that reminds me. I got my clear bag in the mail today.

Wolf
08-16-2013, 06:27 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/texans-reveal-cowboy-topping-giant-hd-video-screen-160624609.htm

Just a short blog about it I'll have to click the video when I have more time

gwallaia
08-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Hopefully the radiation exposure we will all be receiving will be minimal.

Vinnie
08-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Hopefully the radiation exposure we will all be receiving will be minimal.

I ain't worried, I'm pretty sure I'm done having kids.