PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Reed returns to practice, has “good shot” to play

Goodwrench3
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
http://bit.ly/XKTRnl

Good news for us.He'll be important in playoffs!

MEGA SWATT
12-19-2012, 03:22 PM
just heard that on sports radio - that is good news.

Tailgate
12-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Awesome news, I have been very underwhelmed with Mercilus thus far.

Doppelganger
12-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Need last year's playoff version to return: stout against the run and a great blitzer. I would put him at ILB to help shore up the interior. Barwin and Mercilus stay at the OLB spots with Braman coming in to relieve.

TimeKiller
12-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow, this seems soon but if he's feeling up to it, I see no reason to hold him out. He needs as much field time as possible before the playoffs.

Definitely could use his edge-setting/run stopping abilities against Peterson.

gtexan02
12-19-2012, 03:37 PM
I wonder if we could put Reed or Barwin in the middle and keep the other one with Mercilus on the edge

Rey
12-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I wonder if we could put Reed or Barwin in the middle and keep the other one with Mercilus on the edge

I think you'd be very disappointed with that line up.

wolf123
12-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Awesome news, I have been very underwhelmed with Mercilus thus far.

You've been underwhelmed with the rookie who is 2nd on our team in sacks in limited reps but the starter who has produced no pass rush is awesome?:overreact:

wolf123
12-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Why is that Rey? You think Brooks can't play the inside or what is your reasoning?

Brisco_County
12-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Mercilus has been showing signs of steady development. No reason to declare any disappointment. Not every player can come out like a Brian Cushing.

House of Pain
12-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Hopefully Brooks can go back to being our most athletic LB and can situationally patrol the middle of the field. Maybe if we have to take the Pats/Pack on again, the middle of the field won't look like our secondary in 2010.

POSI VIBES BRO

mussop
12-19-2012, 04:54 PM

I don't. I believe reed has played a few snaps inside this year. Why not get your 4 best LB's on the field at the same time. You see OL coaches doing this all the time.

Rey
12-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Why is that Rey? You think Brooks can't play the inside or what is your reasoning?

No. Brooks Reed cannot be a full time ILB IMO. At least not rigt now this late in the season.

If you want to move him their after the season and let him be a full time player there, ok. Maybe.

But I think if you put Reed in the middle of the field on a full time basis right now he'd get eaten alive. It's a whole different world in there. You have got to worry about the entire field. You have bullets flying at you from both sides. I think unless they dumbed the defense way down he'd struggle vs the pass and run.

Can't remember when, but one of the defensive coaches said they saw Reed as an ILB when they drafted him...So they think he can play in there. I'm not sold on him doing it full time, but I'd feel a lot better about it if they gave him an entire off-season to work at it.

Rey
12-19-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't. I believe reed has played a few snaps inside this year. Why not get your 4 best LB's on the field at the same time. You see OL coaches doing this all the time.

I've seen Sharpton and B. James line up and rush from outside, but I don't think they should be OLB's full time...

You want to mix it in as a package, fine. But if you put Reed in at ILB for extended periods of time or as a full time player there at this point in the year I think that is going to fail...JMO

IDEXAN
12-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Great news having Reed back !

CloakNNNdagger
12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
"Limited" practice on a non-contact practice day does not tell you much as far as his preparedness to go Sunday. "Full" practice today (the appointed contact practice, IF it is scheduled at all this week) MAY give us a better idea.......but, for a recovery from significant groin strain, by no means assures his return for real-time game heavy load duty.

Keep in mind, we may be more falsely encouraged by a "Full" practice label at this point in the season. Why? Because we don't even know if today's practice, normally scheduled to be full-contact, is in fact going to be full-contact. Remember the new NFL rules dictating full-contact practice. The rules limit each team to 14 practices in full pads during the regular season, 11 of which must come in the first 11 weeks of the 17-week season (only 3 left for the last 6 games). So at this tail time of the season, we don't really know (unless the Texans specifically release the information) if there will be ANY full-contact during any particular week.

I thought it might be worthwhile to bring this up, as this set of rules/circumstances playing out is easily forgotten by the end of the season, but none-the-less important to a team's health and injury strategy finishing up the year.

thunderkyss
12-20-2012, 10:06 AM

I don't. I'd love to see Reed at ILB.

Again, he's not Cushing, but I think our team is missing that presence in the middle, that threat to run up the middle put a hurt on the QB. I think it will open everything up for the other guys.

In all honesty Rey, I'm grasping at straws here. Our trump card was to get Merci more playing time & move Barwin to the strong side. I thought that was what we needed to get our pass rush going & it hadn't happened.

We're not going to go out & find better players, so the only thing we've really got is to move these guys around. Reed is not "ideal" for the ILB spot. But I don't think any of our guys ever was...... not for a 3-4 ILB. Cushing is the best we've got at that position, but he's not ideal, I don't think.

But I like Reed better in coverage than Barwin & I like him attacking the line, shedding blockers better than Dobbins & James.

Rey
12-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Our trump card was to get Merci more playing time & move Barwin to the strong side. I thought that was what we needed to get our pass rush going & it hadn't happened.

It's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of what Merci brings to the table, but he has something that Reed nor Barwin have when it comes to pass rushing....quickness...

Sadly, he's the best outside rusher we have had right now although I keep hearing Barwin is about to put it all back together again...

If JJ Watt keeps playing like he has and Antonio stays kind of steady, they can mask that problem....against teams like the Colts...

When it comes to better teams we are probably going to struggle because there are rare times when those top QB's take sacks and we need to be able to capitalize when they hold the ball too long...

I'm fine with having Reed play in the middle on a limited basis. Give him some simple assignments..rush him up the middle...Whatever...

What I don't want to see is...OK Reed...You're a MLB now.

Big Lou
12-20-2012, 11:01 AM
I just hope they are bieng careful. This game is important, if we can control the game and its winnable I think you throw just about everything at them, because if you do, you can rest a lot of guys for a couple of weeks, and in the process get some second string guys some playing time in a real game situation, which would be huge at this point.

However we need Brooks, Joseph, and the like healthy for the playoffs. This will be a thin line to walk. This is the side of coaching that its hard for us to see because we don't get the real scoop on injuries, how players are responding, and we can't see the practices and how players are performing. I hope Gary and Wade have thier "Strategery Hats" on this week.

Big Lou
12-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Could you imagine if we had Cush, Reed, Shrapton, Dobbins, (and I guess you could throw James in there) all healthy?

I know all teams are dealing with injuries, but it sure would have been fun to see these guys healthy and playing. I hope Cush coming back next season seals up some of the cracks that have formed in this defense.

76Texan
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
It's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of what Merci brings to the table, but he has something that Reed nor Barwin have when it comes to pass rushing....quickness...

Sadly, he's the best outside rusher we have had right now although I keep hearing Barwin is about to put it all back together again...

If JJ Watt keeps playing like he has and Antonio stays kind of steady, they can mask that problem....against teams like the Colts...

When it comes to better teams we are probably going to struggle because there are rare times when those top QB's take sacks and we need to be able to capitalize when they hold the ball too long...

I'm fine with having Reed play in the middle on a limited basis. Give him some simple assignments..rush him up the middle...Whatever...

What I don't want to see is...OK Reed...You're a MLB now.I think he will be used in a rotation with Barwin and Mercilus, but also sees sometimes at ILB in our 5-3 front like I mention in the other thread (when the Viking go with 22 or 13 personnel.)

That is, if he's healthy enough to get more than 15 snaps.

CloakNNNdagger
12-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Re. yesterday's practice: (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Wednesday-practice/b80254f5-1994-48fd-a31b-369628c7a5e1)

Head Coach Gary Kubiak

(on which players were not at practice) “As far as practice, the only guy who did not practice was (CB) Alan Ball, he stayed in the training room. But (OLB) Brooks (Reed) was back to work. And we were pretty light today. He was fine at practice. We’ll know more about him tomorrow as we push the tempo of what we’re doing. But everybody was out there.”

(on if there is a shot for OLB Brooks Reed to play this Sunday) ”I think there’s a good shot. It’s going to depend on how he comes out. He probably actually worked a little harder than anybody today, just to kind of test it a little bit. And then tomorrow is our work day, so we’ll see how he comes out of that. We’re working toward him being available and him being a part of this game. It’s kind of been our goal ever since this happened. Hopefully we’re at the end of the week feeling good about it and he’s ready to play.”

(on possibly having OLB Brooks Reed back) “It’s very important because first off, he’s got to get his confidence back going into January. That’s extremely important. He gives us a three-man rotation again that we feel comfortable about. Not that we don’t feel comfortable with (OLB Bryan) Braman, but he just does so much on special teams. So it gets us back to – well I’ve give you a good example, when (NT Sean) Cody plays, you see how (DE) J.J. (Watt) and (DE) Antonio (Smith), how fresh they are. Now Brooks comes back and (OLB) Whitney (Mercilus) is able to rotate in there. We get more fresh once again and we just play better. Hopefully we’re on the right track here and he holds up and is ready to go.”

(on OLB Brooks Reed) “Yeah, he’s a SAM linebacker, a line-of-scrimmage guy on the tight end, that’s what he does best. Yeah, that can help us. But at the same time, he’s not going to go from 0 to 70. We can’t do that. So (OLB) Connor (Barwin) still has to play the SAM position and (OLB) Whitney (Mercilus) the WILL and Connor can swing. But just playing all three should make us better.”

(on OLB Connor Barwin moving to the strong side) “Yeah, I think that’s a change. It’s a hell of a change in scheme and what you’re doing. All of a sudden you become much more of a dropper than a pass rusher in a lot of situations. But he’ very unselfish, did his job, and I know it’s been an adjustment and he’s played very hard. We get (OLB) Brooks (Reed) he can go back to his comfort zone coming off the edge. Hopefully we all hold up and that does happen.”

fiasco west
12-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I think it is good to get him SOME game time. Otherwise his first game back could be the first playoff game...not sure I like that. Let him work off some rust now.

CloakNNNdagger
12-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Brooks had limited participation in practice today.

CloakNNNdagger
12-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Hmm. On the HT.com official Texans Injury report Reed is listed as "limited." This contradicts Kubiaks chronicle.

Head Coach Gary Kubiak

(on the team’s health) “The only guy that didn’t practice today was (CB) Alan (Ball) once again. (OLB) Brooks (Reed) took a full load today at practice, so that’s an encouraging sign. All indications are he’ll be okay as long as he makes it through the week and should be ready to go, so that’s where we’re at physically.”

Reed himself is very optimistic.

OLB Brooks Reed

(on if he’s anxious to get back) “It’s pretty tough to watch. I can’t wait to get out there and get back into it. It’s a great time to come back and do that. We’re facing a great team. It’s going to be fun to try to contribute.”

(on how he approached his rehab) “I’ve been doing it every day, all day since it happened. I’ve come back a lot sooner than people predicted. That’s what I expected to come back quicker than expected and perform as good or if not better than how I was performing before I hurt myself.”

(on his tenacity at his position) “I feel like I’ve been kind of caged up a little bit and got to let out some frustration a little bit. I’m just real excited to come back out and get back on the field instead of watching on the sidelines or on the TV so it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

(on returning to practice) “It felt really good. It’s all that camaraderie and being out there and going through practice, just really kind of testing it out instead of just running out there by yourself testing it. You’re out there pushing guys, but it felt good. Everything feels really good and I’m ready to go.”

(on facing Vikings RB Adrian Peterson) “We all look forward to it. It is a challenge for us, but this is our chance to show that we have a good run defense.”

(on if he has any limitations right now with his groin) “No, I’m ready to go. I just don’t see myself re-hurting it. I think it’s even better than it was before I hurt it. It’s good to go.”

76Texan
12-20-2012, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if McClain fell asleep at practice, if he did even attend a part of practice.:ant:

76Texan
12-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Just saw Reed on the local news. He looks good even though it was without pad and at half speed.

He said he's ready to go.:cow:

TheMatrix31
12-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Good, good, good. This can really help our defense. I'm excited to get him back.

ChampionTexan
12-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Reed was limited practice again today (along with 8 or 9 other guys), but still listed as probable for Sunday.

In fact, with the exception of Alan Ball (who's out), there's not a single player on the injury report who's not probable.

LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/injury-report.html)

TexanBacker93
12-22-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm curious as to why there are still some that don't think our pass rush has gotten better with Mercilus in the lineup?

12 sacks in the last 3 games (granted only 1 in the loss), but that's still a good pace.

The team is tied for 2nd with 42 trailing only the Bengals with 43.

They do have one player with almost half, but that's going to happen when you have someone with almost 20 at this point. Aldon Smith has more than half of the sacks for the 49ers.

During the Mario years all we heard was that he's getting other people sacks because of the attention he's getting. Mercilus offers something that the offense has to consider and that can help the rest of the D.

I don't feel he's the 2nd coming of Von Miller, but he was also drafted a lot later than Miller or Smith was. He wasn't graded as well either. He's young and should improve. He's a more consistent threat that Barwin's ever been in his time here.

76Texan
12-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Well, you know.
They only have 42 sacks, trailing the leader by 1.
They need to be in first place.

They are still 2 short of the number from last year.
They should eclipse that already by 10 or something.:kitten::pissed::mariopalm:

76Texan
12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Hey, in the Friday practice report notes, I caught Kubiak saying that Reed will start the game this Sunday.

CloakNNNdagger
12-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey, in the Friday practice report notes, I caught Kubiak saying that Reed will start the game this Sunday.

I saw that also. First week back I hope to see them significantly limit his reps, especially if they are going to put him in as ILB where he will be putting maximal strain on that healing groin, trying to run through and stop AP and the heavy duty front of the Vikings.

mussop
12-22-2012, 10:26 PM
I saw that also. First week back I hope to see them significantly limit his reps, especially if they are going to put him in as ILB where he will be putting maximal strain on that healing groin, trying to run through and stop AP and the heavy duty front of the Vikings.

Wouldn't that be easier on his hammy than trying to run with TE's and running around OT's to get to the QB? Serious question. Also has there been any reliable info come out saying he's going to see time at ILB'S? I really hope to see it.

CloakNNNdagger
12-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Wouldn't that be easier on his hammy than trying to run with TE's and running around OT's to get to the QB? Serious question. Also has there been any reliable info come out saying he's going to see time at ILB'S? I really hope to see it.

It wasn't a hamstring, it was an adductor groin tear. So no.

CloakNNNdagger
12-22-2012, 10:36 PM

As to your ILB vs OLB, this should shed some light on the thinking.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2084570&postcount=22

mussop
12-22-2012, 10:40 PM
As to your ILB vs OLB, this should shed some light on the thinking.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2084570&postcount=22

Thanks C&D.

76Texan
12-22-2012, 11:59 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/2012%20Week%2011%20Jags/Reed/th_11ReedatWILB.jpg

Reed at WILB in the 53

76Texan
12-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Another play:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/2012%20Week%2011%20Jags/Reed/21SameLineUp.jpg

Front view:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/2012%20Week%2011%20Jags/Reed/th_23FrontView.jpg

76Texan
12-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Another play against a 22 balanced look:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/2012%20Week%2011%20Jags/Reed/32.jpg

76Texan
12-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Reed play LB in a 43 base against a 3-back formation:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/2012%20Week%2011%20Jags/Reed/th_43.jpg

thunderkyss
12-23-2012, 07:15 PM
I heard he aggravated the hammy again.

I was happy to see him on the field, he looked good.

CloakNNNdagger
12-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I heard he aggravated the hammy again.

I was happy to see him on the field, he looked good.

Hammy?????

thunderkyss
12-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Hammy?????

Groin...... hammy.. hammy... groin.

Big Lou
12-23-2012, 09:06 PM
It was dumb to start him. Should have given him another week, and he could have come back against Indy to knock off the rust.

CloakNNNdagger
12-23-2012, 09:52 PM
It was dumb to start him. Should have given him another week, and he could have come back against Indy to knock off the rust.

Going back to what I posted when he originally was injured:

IDEXAN, I would tend to agree with your synopsis. What I posted immediately after it happened.

From where he grabbed, he evidently has suffered an adductor muscle tear. As much acute pain that he demonstrated, it will not be a minor 1st degree tear. It is either a 2nd degree tear or 3rd degree complete rupture. I would be surprised if this is not at least a 4+ week recovery. In one study, as high as 40 % of players with this more severe degree of injury have not been able to see the field by the 20th week. We will know more after an MRI.

I would still stand by this. If the Texans are being straight, it sounds like he has suffered a significant 2nd degree tear. With a supposed 3rd degree tear that you know that surgery will lead to IR ruled out, you are still left with the concern of trying to push too hard too quickly, a notorious reason specifically in the case of this type of injury for recovery being set back (even greater than hamstring injuries)......a reason why many of the 40% couldn't get back on the field by the 20th week.

thunderkyss
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Going back to what I posted when he originally was injured:

Before we go that far, let's wait to hear how bad it is. What I heard on the radio, was aggravated, not re-injured. For all we know, he felt it tighten up on him, or it felt a little soreness & they shut him down.

CloakNNNdagger
12-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Before we go that far, let's wait to hear how bad it is. What I heard on the radio, was aggravated, not re-injured. For all we know, he felt it tighten up on him, or it felt a little soreness & they shut him down.

I would hope that the Texans would put him through an MRI tomorrow to best assess his groin. Any aggravation of an adductor tear, especially in light of his early return, should not be taken lightly.