PDA

View Full Version : Derek Newton had a mean streak.

76Texan
12-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Anybody else noticed that he had a very very good game.
He won a good majority of his battles; some of the blocks were excellent.
And his cut blocks were just down right nasty.

eriadoc
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
I have hope for Newton. He's gotten his lunch money taken a couple times this season, but he's done some taking, too. He fights, he's got that mean streak, and he can bury guys.

Our interior line play has been craptastic for much of the year, though - especially the C-RG combo. Nothing I hate seeing more than Chris Myers tripping Arian Foster or pressuring Matt Schaub.

HOU-TEX
12-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Too bad Wade Smith left his mean streak at the house yesterday. I haven't replayed my recording yet, but at first glance, he was getting abused. He was driven back into Arian a few times.

Props to Newton

IDEXAN
12-17-2012, 10:46 AM
How did Ben Jones play yesterday ? And wasn't Brandon Brooks in the game on a few plays at RG for Jones ?

76Texan
12-17-2012, 11:06 AM
How did Ben Jones play yesterday ? And wasn't Brandon Brooks in the game on a few plays at RG for Jones ?

Jones played well enough.
For a rookie, I'm pleased with his season so far.
I like his long-term prospect.

Brooks played very well, I think.
But he didn't play much.

I think Kubiak really want to settle the line-up for the play-offs, so he sticks with Jones.

I like Wade Smith; he's been playing hurt since last season.
If he doesn't get healthy next year, I think we will see Jones and Brooks at Guard.

I don't mind having Smith and Caldwell for depth, if they take the vet minimum.

That way, we can put our resources to other uses.

GP
12-17-2012, 11:17 AM
He was plowing people. Mauling people.

Was very mobile.

Yeah, I noticed it all day. He was taking care of business out there.

thunderkyss
12-17-2012, 12:35 PM
And his cut blocks were just down right nasty.

I'm watching now.

OT: When you go back to watch the game, can you look at Foster's big run to start the 2nd half. 13:53 in the 3rd. It's the best blocking job I've seen in a long time. Ben Jones shows a mean streak & a mean left hook.

But what I want you to look at, is Myers & Smith. Myers is doing a great job blocking his guy. Doesn't need any help at all. Smith, who appears to be looking for something to do goes low on the guy Myers is blocking high. He chop blocks him.

It wasn't called, but should have been. Can you think of any reason Smith would do that?

Again, I haven't seen Brooks in the game, wasn't really looking for him. But please tell me he's being worked in at LG.

Rey
12-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Again, I haven't seen Brooks in the game, wasn't really looking for him. But please tell me he's being worked in at LG.

I haven't been impressed with Wade Smith this year. I thought coming into this season he was one of the more solid players on the line, but he's not been all that good IMO.

76Texan
12-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I haven't been impressed with Wade Smith this year. I thought coming into this season he was one of the more solid players on the line, but he's not been all that good IMO.

No, he's not all that good; actually, I think he's lacking.
But I have to give him props for being a warrior and fighting through al these nagging injuries.
What you really want out of an O-lineman.

badboy
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
And his cut blocks were just down right nasty.man I focused on him. I was not on his list of fans during TC; didn't think he could cut it but he won me over quickly. Rookie or not (17 snaps last season) he kept impressing me. Sure his blocks were seldom pretty or always effective but he seemed to have his head and body in the game. I have probably been his biggest defender on threads and PMs. Hope I turn out to be just as wrong about his backup Ryans.

badboy
12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Jones played well enough.
For a rookie, I'm pleased with his season so far.
I like his long-term prospect.

Brooks played very well, I think.
But he didn't play much.

I think Kubiak really want to settle the line-up for the play-offs, so he sticks with Jones.

I like Wade Smith; he's been playing hurt since last season.
If he doesn't get healthy next year, I think we will see Jones and Brooks at Guard.

I don't mind having Smith and Caldwell for depth, if they take the vet minimum.

That way, we can put our resources to other uses.Caldwell is FA '13 but Smith under contract at $3m.