PDA

View Full Version : watching JJ Watt make history

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 04:27 PM
With 2 games to go he sits at 19.5 sacks tied with Aldon Smith just 3 shy of Strahan's record! He is already the first in NFL history to record 15+ passes deflected and 15+ sacks.

If he gets the sack record will it be the greatest season ever by a defensive player?

TheRealJoker
12-16-2012, 04:28 PM
With 2 games to go he sits at 19.5 sacks tied with Aldon Smith just 3 shy of Strahan's record! He is already the first in NFL history to record 15+ passes deflected and 15+ sacks.

If he gets the sack record will it be the greatest season ever by a defensive player?

Absolutely. It may already be the best season by a defensive player.

eriadoc
12-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I think we looked into it earlier this season and figured that Bruce Smith's season of 19 sacks was the best sack total ever by a 3-4 DE. Like Smith, Watt is used in a few different spots, but he's almost always an interior pass rusher, which even Bruce Smith wasn't. Personally, I think it's the greatest season already.

False Start
12-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Aldon smith is a bad ass no doubt, but I find JJ's sack number's even more impressive given the position he plays. :wild:

Wolf
12-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Well he gets a shot at luck again :heh:

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Well he gets a shot at luck again :heh:

That's true hopefully Brady avoids getting sacked by Smith while still losing the game. :fingergun:

MEGA SWATT
12-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, without wins against GB and NE, I don't think it means much to get the record:bender:

I keed, I keed. However, some doomers and gloomers feel that way.:goodluck:

pec0sb0b
12-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Single-Season Sack Leaders with more than Watt's current 19.5, per Pro-Football-Reference.com with (age).

1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG

2. Jared Allen (29) 22.0 2011 MIN
Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ

4. Reggie White (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN

6. Lawrence Taylor (27) 20.5 1986 NYG

7. Derrick Thomas (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Aldon Smith has yet to play today.

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 04:48 PM
I keed, I keed. However, some doomers and gloomers feel that way.:goodluck:

Well you know us H-town sports fans. Were just cautious to overhype from so many dissapointments, and often focus on why we can't win instead of why we can.

eriadoc
12-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Single-Season Sack Leaders with more than Watt's current 19.5, per Pro-Football-Reference.com with (age).

All those guys were edge rushers. Watt is having the type of season that interior rushers simply don't have. The man had 10 tackles today. That's what linebackers do. He leads the team in solo tackles. He has an insane number of tackles for loss. He has pass deflection numbers up there with defensive backs. He stuffs the run as well or better than anyone in the NFL this year. I've never seen a player get low into the backfield as well or as often as he does it.

Oh yeah, and he gets to the QB sometimes.

BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN FOOTBALL.

srrono
12-16-2012, 04:57 PM
How many interior DL lead their team in tackles? Watt leads our team in total tackles- sacks- tackles for loss- pass deflections -and I think forced fumbles

Kthx
12-16-2012, 05:16 PM
I honestly think he is the NFL MVP, not just defensive.

Thorn
12-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Without Watt, the Texans would not be where they are at. Period. That's the defination of an MVP, and Watt meets it head on.

Wolf
12-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Without Watt, the Texans would not be where they are at. Period. That's the defination of an MVP, and Watt meets it head on.

Yep this defense would be hurting bad

EllisUnit
12-16-2012, 05:23 PM

ME TOO, but the nfl and its popularity contest wont allow that to happen.

eriadoc
12-16-2012, 05:23 PM

I agree, but I don't think there's anything a defensive player can do in this day and age to win MVP. The voters are just fkn morons. They need to do away with the award completely and just do players of the year on each side of the ball.

powda
12-16-2012, 05:24 PM
I'll be the first to say I was wrong about Watt. I mostly liked him as a draft pick, but thought he'd be a fence post in the middle against the run. I never would've guessed we'd get this kinda production and pass rush out of him. The man is truly amazing. If he doesn't win defensive player of the year its a travesty in the modern sports era.

76Texan
12-16-2012, 05:25 PM
J J Watt for President!:cow:

beerlover
12-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Texans MVP & NFL defensive player of the year? No doubt :)

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 05:31 PM
I agree, but I don't think there's anything a defensive player can do in this day and age to win MVP. The voters are just fkn morons. They need to do away with the award completely and just do players of the year on each side of the ball.

It sort of is that way. The mvp goes to best qb or rb, and dpoy goes to best defensive player. I think Taylor is the only defensive player to win and Jerry Rice was the only non qb/rb and they both had to share with most impressive qb that season.

Thorn
12-16-2012, 05:31 PM
J J Watt for President!:cow:

I'd vote for him. At least then I could honestly say I liked the man I voted for. :lol:

EVOLVIST
12-16-2012, 05:34 PM

Remember...it's the Associated Press who writes in the MVP, so the process has been inherently flawed since 1961.

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh, I just found out Mark Moseley a place kicker also won mvp lol. I wasn't around for the 80's so I never heard this story.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/514/mark-moseley-and-the-1982-nfl-season-a-case-study-in-weird

NitroGSXR
12-16-2012, 06:13 PM
I'd vote for him. At least then I could honestly say I liked the man I voted for. :lol:

I voted for him.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/NitroHonda/29340_10151289981066535_1130111163_n.jpg

NitroGSXR
12-16-2012, 06:15 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532394_113724515462856_708263597_n.jpg

76Texan
12-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I voted for him.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/NitroHonda/29340_10151289981066535_1130111163_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532394_113724515462856_708263597_n.jpg

Very cool.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-16-2012, 06:28 PM
How lucky we are to draft him.

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 07:04 PM
How lucky we are to draft him.

Very. Scary to think he's only in his 2nd season. He could actually keep improving, and I'm sure he will because he strikes me as a talented guy who also works harder at his craft at anyone else. If he keeps this production level up he could be our first sure fire HOF candidate.

EllisUnit
12-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Very. Scary to think he's only in his 2nd season. He could actually keep improving, and I'm sure he will because he strikes me as a talented guy who also works harder at his craft at anyone else. If he keeps this production level up he could be our first sure fire HOF candidate.

Regardless of what folks say. AJ 7th fastest player to 10,000, 3rd fastest to 11,000. He will be in the HOF, the guy still has a lot of playing years left. I think this season proves it.

rmartin65
12-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Regardless of what folks say. AJ 7th fastest player to 10,000, 3rd fastest to 11,000. He will be in the HOF, the guy still has a lot of playing years left. I think this season proves it.

Maybe. He has been/is great, but receivers have a hard time getting in. Plus, AJ is going to be short in the TD department. Not his fault, but I think the committee will hold that against him.

I am not saying he wont get it, but he is a far thing from a lock.

EllisUnit
12-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Maybe. He has been/is great, but receivers have a hard time getting in. Plus, AJ is going to be short in the TD department. Not his fault, but I think the committee will hold that against him.

I am not saying he wont get it, but he is a far thing from a lock.

Oh if his career was over tomorrow i agree he wouldnt get in, but give him 3 more seasons and i think he will have HOF numbers. Hopefully we can put a SB win on his resume and that will help.

MEGA SWATT
12-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Too bad mario williams didn't feel he was rich enough to worry about winning. He chose to go to the Bills where he got throttled for 50 pts by seattle supersonics:kitten::vincepalm::foottap:

Imagine the competition to be the best on our D, hmmm. Mario is a da.

Thorn
12-16-2012, 07:25 PM
mario ain't worried, he's got his money.

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah AJ is great, but honestly he's not a sure thing. He needs some playoff success or a superbowl or 2 to get in with his stats. The committee doesn't care that he had a garbage qb most of prime years.

Chance_C
12-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Awesome to get to watch AJ and now JJ in my lifetime. Proud to add them to the list that includes The Tyler Rose and The Dream. Great on and off the field. You too Arian! (not oblivious to the fact that we have to get better to lift the Lombardi)

MEGA SWATT
12-16-2012, 07:29 PM
mario ain't worried, he's got his money.

Loud and clear. However, when will he worry about winning?

You know he's got to think about that, just a little.

Lucky
12-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Reggie White had 21 sacks in the 12 game, strike shortened 1987 season. That was amazing. So is JJ's season. When you're in the company of Reggie White, you are a very special player.

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Reggie White had 21 sacks in the 12 game, strike shortened 1987 season. That was amazing. So is JJ's season. When you're in the company of Reggie White, you are a very special player.

Wow that is amazing. Strahan gets an * in my book now. At that pace White would have reached 28 sacks.

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Aldon smith is a bad ass no doubt, but I find JJ's sack number's even more impressive given the position he plays. :wild:

If Aldon Smith ends up with the sack title for the year, I think Watt's season beats his hands down.

Watt's close to him in sacks, leads the league in TFL, & top ten in passes defensed. Nobody has ever had a season like that, not even Bruce Smith.

I think Wade is right, Jj Watt is going to be a bust.

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Awesome to get to watch AJ and now JJ in my lifetime. Proud to add them to the list that includes The Tyler Rose and The Dream. Great on and off the field. You too Arian! (not oblivious to the fact that we have to get better to lift the Lombardi)

Imagine if Cushing was playing.

Scooter
12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
i truly hate that watt isnt much in the (media's) league mvp radar anymore. i realize that the quarterback and to a lesser extent runningback have more direct impacts on how the ball moves, but watt is influencing plays and entire games nearly as much this season. run stops, tackles for loss, sacks, passes defensed ... no defensive player is having that much of an impact in a single area, forget about being close to doing it all. watt is doing everything, and doing each better than anyone else, AND doing it from a position that makes each more difficult.

as for andre, i think he'll get in pretty quickly. by the time he retires his yards and receptions will be near the top, and a couple more playoff wins will help. where i think he'll get the nod is that he basically changed the position. andre became the model for today's receivers. tall (6'3"), strong (230lbs), fast (100m sprinter), with a work ethic compared to jerry rice and moved away from the "diva" that receivers were being known for. guys like calvin johnson, roddy white, larry fitzgerald, and more are following in andre's footsteps.

Goatcheese
12-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Gotta love Mega Watt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/44992/colts-not-equipped-to-stop-watt-texans
Watt had 10 tackles, six of them for a loss, including three sacks. He also forced a Mewelde Moore fumble at the Texans’ 1-yard line.
“There were a couple plays I left on the field,” he said. “I know I missed two sacks.”

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Gotta love Mega Watt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/44992/colts-not-equipped-to-stop-watt-texans“There were a couple plays I left on the field,” he said. “I know I missed two sacks.”

I think he took that from the Patriots.

Just imagine how demoralizing that was when Brady said they left points on the field. Now he's turning the tables & using that against the Colts.

We'll see how they respond.

hradhak
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Gotta love Mega Watt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/44992/colts-not-equipped-to-stop-watt-texans

He didn't get those 2 sacks cuz the Colts was holding him. Seriously the guy is a beast. I wish Barwin, Smith, Reed, and Mercilus could match half his production.

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
He didn't get those 2 sacks cuz the Colts was holding him. Seriously the guy is a beast. I wish Barwin, Smith, Reed, and Mercilus could match half his production.

Maybe if you combine all 4 of them = 1/2 of jj watt :spin:

Allstar
12-16-2012, 11:03 PM
The one sad part about the Pats losing tonight is that with a win next week, it all but assures Watt will be inactive week 17, which means no sack record :(

hradhak
12-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Maybe if you combine all 4 of them = 1/2 of jj watt :spin:

Sadly even combining all 4 of them you still don't get half. Close, but still not half.

EllisUnit
12-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Aldon Smith has zero sacks tonight :)

Vinny
12-17-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't know if I can remember seeing a defender totally dominate an entire team like Watt did vs the Colts. Remarkable stuff we are watching right now.

infantrycak
12-17-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't know if I can remember seeing a defender totally dominate an entire team like Watt did vs the Colts. Remarkable stuff we are watching right now.

Yes we are. People have criticized this analogy before but personality, work ethic, ripping style of play he looks like a bigger Bob Lilly to me.

b0ng
12-17-2012, 12:39 AM

Wasn't the quality of play in the NFL that year severely lacking due to the lockout?

Mari-OWNED!
12-17-2012, 12:57 AM
It sort of is that way. The mvp goes to best qb or rb, and dpoy goes to best defensive player. I think Taylor is the only defensive player to win and Jerry Rice was the only non qb/rb and they both had to share with most impressive qb that season.

Rice nor any WR have ever won AP NFL MVP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_MVP

GP
12-17-2012, 01:05 AM

The sack on Luck he had, where he ran Luck backwards toward midfield...JJ Watt made so many moves and still kept going in almost a straight line, it was almost spooky what he did on that play.

I rewound that play 8 or 9 times to see it over and over. The speed, the hand techniques, everything. It was beautiful.

GP
12-17-2012, 01:13 AM
J.J. Watt finished with three sacks on Sunday against the Colts, and had six plays overall tackling a Colt for a loss (10.5 percent of Indianapolis' total plays from scrimmage). Watt now has 34.5 disrupted dropbacks this season (sacks + passes defensed + interceptions), 15 more than the next-closest player (Aldon Smith). Watt has disrupted 5.9 percent of dropbacks faced by Houston's defense, with no other player higher than 4.0 percent.

LINK HERE (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321216034). (at very right bottom corner of the article)

TheMatrix31
12-17-2012, 01:25 AM

Yeah. This was the best game I've seen a defensive player play in a VERY long time.

pec0sb0b
12-17-2012, 02:33 AM
I think Reggie White is a good comparison. While his best year was in the strike shortened season, he also got eighteen sacks in the season before and after. Teams had to game plan for Reggie White the way they have to game plan for Watt. Just like Watt, he could completely disrupt an offense. Also like Watt, he was not an edge-rusher. I remember him playing inside as well as outside in Buddy Ryan's 4-6 defense. In retrospect, I can't remember an interior lineman as disruptive since White until Watt.

Lucky
12-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Wasn't the quality of play in the NFL that year severely lacking due to the lockout?
There were 3 games played by replacement players in the 1987 season. White played in none of those games.

eriadoc
12-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Rice nor any WR have ever won AP NFL MVP.

Think about that for a minute, folks. Let that sink in. Jerry Rice, regarded as THE best WR in NFL history, and probably one of the ten best football players ever, NEVER WON MVP. That award is worthless and needs to be eliminated. They already have offensive player of the year, and they clearly do not know how to follow basic criteria for MVP.

The more I think about it, the more pissed off I get, actually.

BigBull17
12-17-2012, 08:10 AM
The one sad part about the Pats losing tonight is that with a win next week, it all but assures Watt will be inactive week 17, which means no sack record :(

If he was sitting at 21 for week 17, I could see him playing a half. Why wouldnt you give a guy a shot at it.

thunderkyss
12-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Jerry Rice, regarded as THE best WR in NFL history, and probably one of the ten best football players ever, NEVER WON MVP.

That's ridiculous really. Not only that (I definitely believe he's one of the top ten players in history) but he's also one of the best people to ever play the game. He's a freak'n model for what you want your players to be. Class act, on the field, off the field. One of the best, but he prepared like he had something to prove.

That award is worthless and needs to be eliminated. They already have offensive player of the year, and they clearly do not know how to follow basic criteria for MVP.

The more I think about it, the more pissed off I get, actually.

Agreed. Today the conversation is Peterson or Manning. I think neither should even be considered. Come back player of the year, yes. Best QB, best RB... yes (in the conversation)... But you take Manning off that team & they're still a play-off team. Just like last year. You take Peterson off that team & they're still not very successful.

It should be Jj Watt (& I'm not saying that as a homer), Andrew Luck (even though he's a rookie), RG3 (even though he's a rookie), Russell Wilson (even though he's a rookie). You take those four people off their team & nobody is talking about those teams.

Dread-Head
12-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Watt!? :trophy: :dread:

FR0497
12-17-2012, 01:14 PM
It should be Jj Watt (& I'm not saying that as a homer), Andrew Luck (even though he's a rookie), RG3 (even though he's a rookie), Russell Wilson (even though he's a rookie). You take those four people off their team & nobody is talking about those teams.

Brady should be included in that list. Also, the Redskins did quite well with Cousins yesterday. I think Seattle would still be a good team with or without Wilson because of their defense.

After yesterday I think it's a two man race between AP and Watt with Brady having an outside shot. The Vikings are sitting in a wild card spot thanks to AP. Take him away and they probably have 4 wins at best to this point. That being said my vote still goes to Watt. What he has done this season has been remarkable. I have never seen such a force on defense be so disruptive and dominant over the course of a full season. This man definitely deserves to be MVP.

thunderkyss
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Brady should be included in that list. Also, the Redskins did quite well with Cousins yesterday. I think Seattle would still be a good team with or without Wilson because of their defense.

After yesterday I think it's a two man race between AP and Watt with Brady having an outside shot. The Vikings are sitting in a wild card spot thanks to AP. Take him away and they probably have 4 wins at best to this point. That being said my vote still goes to Watt. What he has done this season has been remarkable. I have never seen such a force on defense be so disruptive and dominant over the course of a full season. This man definitely deserves to be MVP.

I don't know about Brady, he's great and everything. But I've still got that Matt Cassel season going through my head. Cassel not doing crap in KC has me believing it wasn't the QB. BB's tendency to get it done regardless of who he has.... I mean... I don't know.

Adrian Peterson, I think I may have misspoke earlier, he's got his team in position to make a play-off run so yeah, he should be in the conversation.

Cousins is a good argument against RG3.... same argument I'm using against Brady, so I'm with you on this one, RG3 is out.

brakos82
12-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Also, JJ Watt now holds the sack record for 3-4 Defensive Linemen. (http://www.footballperspective.com/j-j-watt-breaks-sack-record-for-3-4-defensive-linemen/)

NitroGSXR
12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/181858_10151369378189085_1837169384_n.jpg

ajohnson80
12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I got into an argument today with someone saying Aldon is having the better season which I think he based off of peoples opinion on espn. I had to bust out these stats for him. I also pointed out the 9ers have other people causing problems for opposing offenses so they can't focus solely on stopping Smith, whereas JJWatt is constantly doubled or tripled because the rest of the line has been quite ineffective all year. Thats makes these stats more impressive to me.

Aldon Smith 48 tackles 19.5 sacks 1 pass defended and 6 stf yards.

JJ Watt 62 tackles 19.5 sacks 15 passES defended and 45 stf yards.

The only area Smith is equaling him is in sacks. This is why the media is the worst thing to happen to sports. One respected person makes a case for someone, and casual fans get the wrong idea. This is how people get robbed of awards they deserve.

MistaRed
12-19-2012, 11:20 AM
J.J. Watt named AFC Defensive player of the week for the 2nd time this year.

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans

Just announced: @JJWatt is AFC Def. Player of the Wk. He had 10 solo tackles, 3 sacks, 6 tackles for loss & 1 forced fum. vs. Indy #MegaWatt

76Texan
12-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Was there even a doubt? :handshake:

NitroGSXR
12-19-2012, 01:32 PM

Only the second time?

Wolf
12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Peterson is having an awesome season but I dont see him catching Dickerson record with us and the packers left on the schedule.

On a side note. I am curious on how many points jj has stopped this season.

I know he blocked a pass agsinst the jets that would have been 6 for them. He knocked the colts out of field goal range with a sack.I think he caused a pick 6 if I am not mistaken.and sure there are more

NitroGSXR
12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Peterson is having an awesome season but I dont see him catching Dickerson record with us and the packers left on the schedule.

On a side note. I am curious on how many points jj has stopped this season.

I know he blocked a pass agsinst the jets that would have been 6 for them. He knocked the colts out of field goal range with a sack.I think he caused a pick 6 if I am not mistaken.and sure there are more

With two weekly awards... he can't compete with Brady's three awards therefore he will not win MVP.

It's going to be a joke.

Wolf
12-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Whether Watt breaks Strahan’s record could have a lot to do with circumstance. The Minnesota Vikings, who the Texans play in Week 16 at Reliant Stadium, average just 30.4 passing attempts a game, fourth-fewest in the league. Quarterback Christian Ponder has been sacked 30 times, but the Texans may have to build a big lead to force Ponder to throw the ball instead of handing off time and again to league-leading rusher Adrian Peterson.

If the Texans beat Minnesota, they’ll clinch home-field advantage in the AFC throughout the playoffs. That would render their regular-season finale at Indianapolis meaningless for playoff seeding, which would lead to an interesting debate: Should Texans coach Gary Kubiak sit Watt in Week 17 or let him play and go for the record, even if it’s only for a quarter or a half?
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/JJ-Watt-takes-aim-at-NFL-sack-record/bb879d3d-e0f6-4db0-97f2-8c8d92f65976

WG9032
12-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Reggie White had 21 sacks in the 12 game, strike shortened 1987 season. That was amazing. And Reggie's DC that year was...

NitroGSXR
12-19-2012, 10:50 PM
and reggie's dc that year was...

NO FREAKING WAY!! Wow!!

ajohnson80
12-19-2012, 11:05 PM
As long as JJ records .5 a sack, Wade will have coached 3 players to 20+ sacks in a season.

eriadoc
12-19-2012, 11:30 PM
As long as JJ records .5 a sack, Wade will have coached 3 players to 20+ sacks in a season.

Wade Phillips' career is filled with defensive players that he took to a new level. He was the DL coach for the Oilers during the best years of Curley Culp, was DC for Rickey Jackson in NO when he was in his prime, was DC in DEN when Simon Fletcher was having his career years, and was DC in PHI with Reggie White and Clyde Simmons (and Jerome Brown, I believe). He also had something to do with Bruce Smith's success, though he was successful prior to Wade getting there. How much credit you assign to him is up to you, but it isn't a fluke, that's for sure.

iLoveTexans
12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Watt!? :trophy: :dread:

:thumbup

CloakNNNdagger
12-29-2012, 11:37 AM
If we beat the Colts, and JJ gets the sack record, and Denver loses to KC and the Packers beat the Vikings while AP has a crummy day........then JJ could get his wish..........MVP.

Q&A: Texans' J.J. Watt believes he has a shot at NFL MVP (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/29/texans-jj-watt-believe-he-could-be-nfl-mvp/1797673/)

J.J. Watt: Don’t count me out for MVP (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/j-j-watt-dont-count-me-out-for-mvp/)

Thorn
12-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Sounds like JJ Watt wants a raise. He'll get it. :swatter:

76Texan
12-29-2012, 11:58 AM
If we beat the Colts, and JJ gets the sack record, and Denver loses to KC and the Packers beat the Vikings while AP has a crummy day........then JJ could get his wish..........MVP.

Q&A: Texans' J.J. Watt believes he has a shot at NFL MVP (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/29/texans-jj-watt-believe-he-could-be-nfl-mvp/1797673/)

J.J. Watt: Don’t count me out for MVP (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/j-j-watt-dont-count-me-out-for-mvp/)

Thanks for the links, Doc.

ChampionTexan
12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Sounds like JJ Watt wants a raise. He'll get it. :swatter:

Eventually, but not next year. The CBA prohibits any modifications or amendments to a rookie contract until after the completion of the third year.

Even if they wanted to, the Texans couldn't give him a raise until the 2014 season.

Wolf
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Class act with kids from Newtown

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/UlpR_r9m4Yzwhn3amphzkQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/JJWattNewtonKidsAdorbz.jpg

Watt tweeted the above picture with the caption, "Our friends from Newtown, CT." He told USA Today, "I just wanted to give them a normal day."
This isn't the first time Watt remembered the town affected by the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School just two weeks ago. For the Texans' Week 15 win over the Colts, Watt had "Newtown, CT," scrawled onto his gloves.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/j-j-watt-lines-against-kids-newtown-230953585--nfl.html

NitroGSXR
12-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Class act

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/UlpR_r9m4Yzwhn3amphzkQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/JJWattNewtonKidsAdorbz.jpg

Those are actually students from Sandy Hook Elementary.

EllisUnit
12-29-2012, 01:03 PM
The NFL is so biased. JJ Watt is having the most dominant season by a D-Line player i have ever seen. I didnt really see the bruce Smith or Reggie White years, But as far as modern day era i'd say Watt is in a class of his own.

He will not win the MVP (which i think he 100% deserves) because the NFL is about glamour and regardless of how fun it is to watch JJ Watt dominate every team he plays they would rather see a Manning or Peterson win MVP.

People want to point out that he had no sacks against the patriots, this is true, but ask brady how it feels to be hit by Watt over and over again. Its a shame that he has no chance at MVP and i think this is proff that no defensive player will ever win the award again.

Thorn
12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
The NFL is so biased. JJ Watt is having the most dominant season by a D-Line player i have ever seen. I didnt really see the bruce Smith or Reggie White years, But as far as modern day era i'd say Watt is in a class of his own.

Reggie White in his glory years was totally dominate. I guess Bruce Smith was, but I don't remember actually watching him a whole lot like I remember watching White. Watt is doing the same thing White used to do, and that is change games all by himself.

ajohnson80
12-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Reggie White in his glory years was totally dominate. I guess Bruce Smith was, but I don't remember actually watching him a whole lot like I remember watching White. Watt is doing the same thing White used to do, and that is change games all by himself.

Reggie White is the best I've ever seen. I would say JJ has a chance to pass him but it will take a decade + at this level of play.

Playoffs
12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Michael Strahan -- 22.5
J. J. Watt .--------- 20.5
Aldon Smith ..----- 19.5
Von Miller .-------- 17.5

beerlover
12-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Michael Strahan -- 22.5
J. J. Watt .--------- 20.5
Aldon Smith ..----- 19.5
Von Miller .-------- 17.5

That 2011 Draft Class has really produced some outstanding pass rushers, one could argue the best of all time :swatter:

HJam72
12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Mr. Wattage needs to just nail down about 5 sacks today and put this behind him.

Dawgnme
12-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Mr. Wattage needs to just nail down about 5 sacks today and put this behind him.

Tough to do when you've got 3 guys all over you and your secondary is getting picked apart.

Dude deserved better than what his teammates gave him today.

amazing80
12-30-2012, 03:00 PM
ugh didnt make history and we got smoked, so sad