PDA

View Full Version : Why is Phillips getting a pass?

mussop
12-14-2012, 10:44 PM
I see alot of people pointing fingers at Kubiak and the offense and rightfully so. But what about Philllips? Seems like everyone is making excuses for him. "Oh he has so little work with because of injuries" and "he has got this team to over achieve". BFD! All defenses go through that at some opint in a season. Thats where a great coordinator steps up shows why he is great.

Maybe it's just me but it sure seems like he's gone extra vanilla on his blitz packages. I'm not a big X's and O's guy but I can't remember the last time saw Phillips send one of our OLB's on loop around stunt to the inside. What happened to moving the weak side LB all over the place to put him in position to take advantage of miss matches and take advantage of his rush abilities. All he's done the second half of this year IMO is use the OLB's as edge setters or speed rushers around the outside on obvious passing plays. Where is the creativity we were promised?

I'm sorry but this defense has to get pressure on the QB to be successful. Phillips need to dial it up a notch or we are going to end up wasting this season no matter what the offense does.

steelbtexan
12-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Because, Cody almost died because of a punctured lung. (Nitro?)

Cushing and Reed are lost probably for the season.

Joseph is playing hurt. Any more questions?

The Texans are 11-2, Wade's undermanned defense stopped Brady 4 times in a row. If you're going to beat a team like the Pats you've got to be able to win time of possesion/score points. This is why I hope the next draft is heavy on offense.

I want to see what Gary can do with a couple of elite offensive weapons. Maybe he will eschew his conservative ways, LOL

DexmanC
12-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Kubiak has hosted a 4-game losing streak every season he has been here.
It is he who must prove his credentials as HEAD COACH are moving
to the next level. Wade is a defensive coordinator, and is doing a hell
of a job. It is Gary's offense that can't get a 1st down to close out a
game, or continue a drive in the parts of the game it matters.

Wade's defense doesn't seem to play scared against high competition. Gary's
offense was a comedy of errors twice this season against championship
caliber teams. I don't hate Kubiak. I just want to see HIM improve as
a HEAD COACH.

Handing Ben Tate his first carry well into the third quarter against the
Patriots tells me Gary puts his ego over the needs contributing to this
team winning. Wade's defense has masked Gary's crap all season long,
and it's time the offense played to the level the defense has since
Wade got here.

mussop
12-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Because, Cody almost died because of a punctured lung. (Nitro?)

Cushing and Reed are lost probably for the season.

Joseph is playing hurt. Any more questions?

Again with the excuses. How about the entire right side of the offensive line being new and being rotated every game. Why the excuses for Wade but not for Kubiak? P.S. I'm not defending Kubiak! Just pointing out Phillips needs to do a better job to. Go look at how many yards we have given up in the last four games.

The Texans are 11-2, Wade's undermanned defense stopped Brady 4 times in a row. If you're going to beat a team like the Pats you've got to be able to win time of possesion/score points.

This is why I hope the next draft is heavy on offense. I want to see what Gary can do with a couple of elite offensive weapons. Maybe he will eschew his conservative ways, LOL

If you want to beat top QB's like Brady you need to get to them,,,,, alot. This is why I want to draft heavy on defense. I want a front seven rotation that can get to the QB like the Giants have.

Even if you score alot against these type QB's they still find ways to win if they get the ball at the end. There is no better more proven way to win than to get defensive pressure on the QB.

Now to get back on track. We better get to Luck or he's going to pick us apart. and if we don't get to him early Phillips better make some adjustments and start taking advantage of our Defensive weapons.

mussop
12-14-2012, 11:50 PM

a HEAD COACH.

Wade got here.

Wade is doing a hell of a job? How many yards have we given up the last four weeks?

Wade's defense doesn't seem to play scared against high competition? What did Green Bay and NE do to us?

Throughout Wades career as a D coordinator his defenses have gone backwards in his second year with each team. I'm starting to think that is what is happening here.

Thorn
12-14-2012, 11:56 PM
And if Wade wasn't here and we had another defensive cord. of the type Kubiak had been hiring pre-Wade, we wouldn't be 11-2 right now.

You have to play good on both sides of the ball. If you are in a passing game shoot out and the other teams is scoring like GB and NE did, trying to run the damn ball probably isn't the answer. Hell, I miss the Schaub years when he was throwing for 4000 yards. We really need to draft on the offensive side of the ball next year.

steelbtexan
12-15-2012, 12:07 AM

a HEAD COACH.

Wade got here.

It is what it is. Although I agree with you, you do realize that it will take the win starved fan base another 4-5 yrs to come to the conclusion that BoB's team can never win a SB under Gary. Our Agggie fans wont admit this and I peesonally will have given uncle BoB 100,000 grand. But, the Texans are 11-2 and who's contin a few hundred thousand $$$$ among friends,

BTW, uncle BoB you know how to build a championship team better than I do. So, I will be at reliant screaming my lungs out with everybody else, and I KNOW THAT's WHAT'S IMPORTANT TO YOU.

The Texans are the moderm day version of the Moon lrad Oilers. Except Schaub doesn't have the natural ability Moon had. Any way as a fan of professional football im Houston, we are screwed.

mussop
12-15-2012, 12:07 AM
And if Wade wasn't here and we had another defensive cord. of the type Kubiak had been hiring pre-Wade, we wouldn't be 11-2 right now.

You have to play good on both sides of the ball. If you are in a passing game shoot out and the other teams is scoring like GB and NE did, trying to run the damn ball probably isn't the answer. Hell, I miss the Schaub years when he was throwing for 4000 yards. We really need to draft on the offensive side of the ball next year.

I totally agree with this. Especially right at their best defensive player who is a known run stopper. However Schaub was throwing for those 4000 yards with basically the same weapons he has now. Just because Kubiak has more weapons doesn't mean he'll use them properly.

Right now if you take Watt out of this defense what do you have? To me Wade is relying on Watt to much in his game plan. He's moving him around and pretty much ignoring the abilities of all the other guys.

steelbtexan
12-15-2012, 12:30 AM
I totally agree with this. Especially right at their best defensive player who is a known run stopper. However Schaub was throwing for those 4000 yards with basically the same weapons he has now. Just because Kubiak has more weapons doesn't mean he'll use them properly.

Right now if you take Watt out of this defense what do you have? To me Wade is relying on Watt to much in his game plan. He's moving him around and pretty much ignoring the abilities of all the other guys.

Agreed about Watt, especially with Cushing gone.

How do you fix this? I go all offense in the draft, this will help the defense by keeping it off the field. Unless Gary has another brain fart and insists on running the ball up the niddle against a NT like Wilfork.

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 12:37 AM

Every year?

I think Wade has been under scrutiny since Detroit. However, he has got a pass from most everyone for the Boston Masacre, because he did what a DC is supposed to do. Adjust in real time & flip that switch. The defense pretty much dominated the Patriots for the second & third Qtrs, in so much as you can dominate that offense.

The offensive side of the ball never seemed to. They went from bad to worse.

MEGA SWATT
12-15-2012, 12:41 AM
:mariopalm:

11-2

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Now to get back on track. We better get to Luck or he's going to pick us apart. and if we don't get to him early Phillips better make some adjustments and start taking advantage of our Defensive weapons.

He's got a QB rating of 74..... he's not picking anyone apart.

Marcus
12-15-2012, 12:56 AM

Paper mâché 11-2

They haven't had a decent win since October. Injuries have weakened the team on both sides of the ball. But I agree with the OP. If you want to point fingers at Kubiak, then stop making excuses for Phillips.

mussop
12-15-2012, 01:01 AM

Look at what he's been able to do in the last minutes of games. If this is a close game and we are not getting pressure on him that 74n wont mean jack.

ThaShark316
12-15-2012, 01:14 AM
They haven't had a decent win since October. Injuries have weakened the team on both sides of the ball. But I agree with the OP. If you want to point fingers at Kubiak, then stop making excuses for Phillips.

Yep.

I got crushed for saying "put some blame on Wade, too"(or, "don't just give Wade ALL the credit"). But, folks have their favorites and folks have the players, coaches, etc that they can't stand.

As for the October thing...What do you mean "decent"? Win margin? Overall play?

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Look at what he's been able to do in the last minutes of games. If this is a close game and we are not getting pressure on him that 74n wont mean jack.

Different issue altogether. The only thing to worry about Luck is if it's a one score game near the end.

Other than that, the only people who need to worry about Luck, are the Colts fans. He'll throw interceptions, he'll fumble balls.... but he won't be "picking anyone apart." Thanks to that 74 qb rating.

ThaJokaa
12-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Because Wade isnt the Head Coach...

mussop
12-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Different issue altogether. The only thing to worry about Luck is if it's a one score game near the end.

Other than that, the only people who need to worry about Luck, are the Colts fans. He'll throw interceptions, he'll fumble balls.... but he won't be "picking anyone apart." Thanks to that 74 qb rating.

He's led them to a 9 and 4 and just two games behind us. remember the last time we played jacksonville? Who's their QB and what's his rating? :fingergun:

/

mussop
12-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Because Wade isnt the Head Coach...

irrelevant

76Texan
12-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Well, I certainly didn't give Wade a pass.

I "criticized" him for taking the foot off the pedal in the Bronco's game.

I gave him pass in the Jags game because our secondary made too many mistakes, but I called him out for not fixing it when the secondary failed against the Pats. Or when guys were late going out to cover Hernandez.
I even said pre-game that I wasn't gonna be too happy if he has Bradie James on Hernandez or any of our LBS on Woodhead.

All those things hurt us and I criticized Wade for not having a good game plan and for not preparing the guys well enough.

76Texan
12-15-2012, 09:03 AM
The Colts are another play action team.

I hope Wade makes all the correction to keep Luck at or under his average or it's gonna be another long day and an explosion of pink soap after the game, LOL.

ObsiWan
12-15-2012, 10:14 AM
All I know is we've had two really bad, embarrassing losses. The common thread in both is that Wade's defense got BLOWN UP. Yet everyone got mad because Kubiak/Dennison's offense couldn't keep up with the number of points Wade's D gave up. If the offense hadn't shown up and kept up in the Jags and Lions games we'd have lost those games too.

I'm not saying Fire Wade. I'm saying it ain't right to pick on one side and ignore the warts on the other.

...unless you're just flat azzed biased against Kubiak. If that's the case then say so.

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 10:18 AM
All I know is we've had two really bad, embarrassing losses. The common thread in both is that Wade's defense got BLOWN UP.

The Common thread is the P

Packers
Patriots

As long as we don't have anymore P teams on our schedule, we're ok.

b0ng
12-15-2012, 10:27 AM

a HEAD COACH.

Wade got here.

Wade's defenses have had major major breakdowns in at least 4 of the games we have had this year. 2 of those teams we can understand because they make a living off of making other professional defenses look bad (Pack, Pats). Jacksonville and Detroit though? No way, especially not J-ville.

ChampionTexan
12-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Well, all except for three of them ('06, '07, & '11), and four if we can win even one of the next three.

If you're gonna hate on somebody please stick to factual as opposed to made up statistics.

HJam72
12-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I hate facts. :jk:

ChampionTexan
12-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I hate facts. :jk:

You are apparently not alone my friend.

Playoffs
12-15-2012, 10:52 AM
All I know is we've had two really bad, embarrassing losses. The common thread in both is that Wade's defense got BLOWN UP. Yet everyone got mad because Kubiak/Dennison's offense couldn't keep up with the number of points Wade's D gave up. If the offense hadn't shown up and kept up in the Jags and Lions games we'd have lost those games too.

I'm not saying Fire Wade. I'm saying it ain't right to pick on one side and ignore the warts on the other.Truth. No pass for Wade from me, as we know the defense is 100% Wade's domain.

...unless you're just flat azzed biased against Kubiak. If that's the case then say so.Bingo.

ObsiWan
12-15-2012, 10:57 AM

Packers
Patriots

Do the Minnesota Petersons count?
...what about the Denver Peytons??
:D

Thorn
12-15-2012, 11:25 AM

Packers
Patriots

This means we can't go PP? That's disturbing, to say the least.

76Texan
12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
This means we can't go PP? That's disturbing, to say the least.

One word for you: Diaper!

LOL

HJam72
12-15-2012, 11:37 AM
In answer to the thread title, it's because he's a stud with the girls.

Thorn
12-15-2012, 11:37 AM
One word for you: Diaper!

LOL

Keep it up and I'll start throwing mine at you. :ahhaha:

76Texan
12-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Keep it up and I'll start throwing mine at you. :ahhaha:

Thank you, but I don't need extra. :wadepalm:

76Texan
12-15-2012, 11:44 AM
In answer to the thread title, it's because he's a stud with the girls.

You mean, his girl is a stud? Eer, I mean, a bomb.

HJam72
12-15-2012, 11:47 AM
You mean, his girl is a stud? Eer, I mean, a bomb.

No, actually I was joking about him, but I seem to remember that she is.

76Texan
12-15-2012, 11:57 AM
No, actually I was joking about him, but I seem to remember that she is.

I knew you were joking, but I'm dead serious about his girl.

Where's TexanBill when I need him.
I'm sure he saves a few pictures on his hard drive.:smiliedance:

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 12:43 PM
2 of those teams we can understand because they make a living off of making other professional defenses look bad (Pack, Pats). Jacksonville and Detroit though? No way, especially not J-ville.

C'mon b0ng, in all seriousness, take a luck at the string of injuries leading up to those games, who played, & who didn't. Then look at the guys who didn't finish those games.

Every week he's having to prepare someone else to start, then that guy gets hurt & he's having to throw someone else in.

And as far as Detroit goes, offensively they're right there with the Packers & the Patriots. & Jacksonville, that was the first time anyone had seen them throw the ball downfield. Had we not knocked the snot out of Gabbert, it would have been a totally different game.

Hopefully, we can start getting healthy, & our play gets better from here on out & we peak in February. Jjo should get better, Harris is going to get better with snaps. Our LBs should get better (thought they're journeymen, I feel really good about Dobbins & Rudd) & when they get better, our Safeties will stop cheating & do the job they're supposed to do.

I understand we're spoiled with the next man up thing. People get hurt, we don't care, we're still winning...... but to expect them to look as good as they did when they were completely healthy is asking for a bit much.

CloakNNNdagger
12-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Agreed about Watt, especially with Cushing gone.

How do you fix this? I go all offense in the draft, this will help the defense by keeping it off the field. Unless Gary has another brain fart and insists on running the ball up the niddle against a NT like Wilfork.

OK KUBIAK. You want to keep having you're running back run up the middle? Then, just go ahead and COME TO DADDY

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/v._wilfork-thumb-250x185-5602.jpg

Ryan
12-15-2012, 01:59 PM

Packers
Patriots

and the Panthers dominated us last year.

Vinny
12-15-2012, 02:03 PM

Packers
Patriots

it really boils down to elite passers. Top QB's will just feast on slow man to man coverage with FA quality players like James, Sharpton and numerous backup secondary players we are carrying. No edge rush and no push from the NT just compounds the problem

MEGA SWATT
12-15-2012, 03:36 PM

11-2

modified by Marcus:Paper mâché 11-2

11-2

Sorry sir - they earned that 11-2. Period. 11-2. Before the season started, if I told you the Texans would be 11-2 after 13 games you would be so stoked - you wouldn't care where those 2 losses came from. I'd take that over being 2-11, with 2 wins over GB and NE.

Nothing you say changes or diminishes the following:

11-2
11-2
11-2
11-2
11-2
11-2
11-2

b0ng
12-15-2012, 05:16 PM
C'mon b0ng, in all seriousness, take a luck at the string of injuries leading up to those games, who played, & who didn't. Then look at the guys who didn't finish those games.

Every week he's having to prepare someone else to start, then that guy gets hurt & he's having to throw someone else in.

And as far as Detroit goes, offensively they're right there with the Packers & the Patriots. & Jacksonville, that was the first time anyone had seen them throw the ball downfield. Had we not knocked the snot out of Gabbert, it would have been a totally different game.

Hopefully, we can start getting healthy, & our play gets better from here on out & we peak in February. Jjo should get better, Harris is going to get better with snaps. Our LBs should get better (thought they're journeymen, I feel really good about Dobbins & Rudd) & when they get better, our Safeties will stop cheating & do the job they're supposed to do.

I understand we're spoiled with the next man up thing. People get hurt, we don't care, we're still winning...... but to expect them to look as good as they did when they were completely healthy is asking for a bit much.

Nobody sang any praises for Kubiak last year when AJ and Schaub both missed significant time, as well as Foster. Injuries happen all the time and its not like NE, or GB weren't missing guys on offense either.

ATXtexanfan
12-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Wade needs to coach up the pass rushers. They all have been stoned this year. Everyone getting locked down but watt. Guys gotta start winning battles. Don't know if their all just a bunch of one trick ponies or what. All year long the pocket collapses and the qb steps up. We still need a legit NT. Agree on average lbs. Have we been running as many stunts as last year? I remember those being money

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Nobody sang any praises for Kubiak last year when AJ and Schaub both missed significant time, as well as Foster. Injuries happen all the time and its not like NE, or GB weren't missing guys on offense either.

& When Schaub went down we went from averaging 27 ppg to 16 ppg. With Andre out, we had no receivers with a 100 yard day.

But we won. That's all I'm saying. We should still win, but it's going to look ugly.

Losing one LB after another over the last 5 weeks & our star CB, our nickel, & our star CBs back up... we're going to give up some yards. We still expect a win & we should. But to expect them to look good doing it, not so much.

76Texan
12-15-2012, 05:29 PM
& When Schaub went down we went from averaging 27 ppg to 16 ppg. With Andre out, we had no receivers with a 100 yard day.

But we won. That's all I'm saying. We should still win, but it's going to look ugly.

Losing one LB after another over the last 5 weeks & our star CB, our nickel, & our star CBs back up... we're going to give up some yards. We still expect a win & we should. But to expect them to look good doing it, not so much.

We have a star backup at CB?
Oh wait, we have star(s) at back-up CB? :):thisbig:

ObsiWan
12-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Or to expect the O-line - and by extension, the offense - to perform as well as they did when all five guys played every game together (six if you count Dreessen)...

All that to say, I agree. That we're 11-2 with the significant losses we've had on both sides of the ball is a credit to the whole coaching staff, IMO.

....but that could be the :koolaid: talking

Kgbmedic
12-15-2012, 05:37 PM
I personally was wondering why if they are doing quick passes to the middle of the field. Why didn't he move the CBs up and do a bump and run. At the very least it messes up the rhythm and give another second or two to the D-Line.

I hope he is saving the elaborate blitz packages for the post season. It would be nice think, that is the long term game plan. Get the guys established on the vanilla stuff while practicing the other.

infantrycak
12-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Wade needs to coach up the pass rushers. They all have been stoned this year. Everyone getting locked down but watt. Guys gotta start winning battles. Don't know if their all just a bunch of one trick ponies or what. All year long the pocket collapses and the qb steps up. We still need a legit NT. Agree on average lbs. Have we been running as many stunts as last year? I remember those being money

Not my research and frankly I do not remember the analyst but one was on the radio and said Brady got the ball out on average 2.2 secs from the snap. That is damn fast and has been part of the plan the last few weeks. Truth is we hit Brady a bunch of times despite that.

ATXtexanfan
12-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Not my research and frankly I do not remember the analyst but one was on the radio and said Brady got the ball out on average 2.2 secs from the snap. That is damn fast and has been part of the plan the last few weeks. Truth is we hit Brady a bunch of times despite that.

Yeah 2.2 seconds makes him the ****. Nothing wade can do especially when the O no called no showed

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I figured it would be obvious. Wade's getting the pass because his defense can't stop it. :banana:

ATXtexanfan
12-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Does anyone think less than thirty would beat pats or packers? Still comes down to O sucking in a league that gives the O everything. Thats what the pack and pats are built on. Would pats and pack like to have our D ? Would you like their O minus our D. Wade gets a pass

ajohnson80
12-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Does anyone think less than thirty would beat pats or packers? Still comes down to O sucking in a league that gives the O everything. Thats what the pack and pats are built on. Would pats and pack like to have our D ? Would you like their O minus our D. Wade gets a pass

Yes, those teams have lost many games where the opponent scored less than 30 including playoff and superbowl games. Wade cannot play man coverage against guys that recognize where the pressure is coming from, and always know where they are going before the snap. These qbs light up when they see man coverage because they can put it on the money every time 1 on 1.

Wade does not get a pass from me. This team has superbowl caliber talent, and his schemes have simply not been working at all against these types of qbs. It is a huge step forward from our teams of the past, but he needs to be better if we want to take down these elite teams in the playoffs.

mussop
12-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Yeah 2.2 seconds makes him the ****. Nothing wade can do especially when the O no called no showed

BS! There are proven ways to beat these type of offenses. Crowd the WR's at the line and play them physical to throw off their timing with the QB, Mix up the coverages to keep the QB guessing. Show the QB different blitz looks presnap to keep him guessing, and so on and so on.

Wade has gone vanilla and that will work when you have better talent but not when you have a top notch QB and OC. All you are doing is making it easy for them to make adjustments. The most Wade has done lately to mix it up is swap Barwin and Mercilous from side to side.

Obviously Wade feels uncomfortable doing too much with all the injuries we have had. Well he better get over it and start scheming his ass off because at the rate this defense is giving up yards we wont be winning any games in the playoffs.

My biggest fear is we dominate these next 3 games against the Colts banged up O-line and Mini's one dimensional offense and he goes into the playoffs thinking that this vanilla crap is good enough to keep us going.

mussop
12-16-2012, 03:05 AM

He’s also thrown 18 TD passes and engineered six come-from-behind victories in the fourth quarter or overtime. He has led the Colts to a 9-4 record, and they’re almost assured of making the playoffs. He has thrown for 3,792 yards, breaking Peyton Manning’s rookie record for the Colts. He’s on a pace for 4,667, which would shatter Cam Newton’s rookie record of 4,051. He has won more games than any quarterback taken with the first pick in the draft, and there have been some good ones like Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning. Luck is mature beyond his years and well-respected by teammates as well as opponents.

powda
12-16-2012, 03:15 AM
BS! There are proven ways to beat these type of offenses. Crowd the WR's at the line and play them physical to throw off their timing with the QB, Mix up the coverages to keep the QB guessing. Show the QB different blitz looks presnap to keep him guessing, and so on and so on.

Wade has gone vanilla and that will work when you have better talent but not when you have a top notch QB and OC. All you are doing is making it easy for them to make adjustments. The most Wade has done lately to mix it up is swap Barwin and Mercilous from side to side.

Obviously Wade feels uncomfortable doing too much with all the injuries we have had. Well he better get over it and start scheming his ass off because at the rate this defense is giving up yards we wont be winning any games in the playoffs.

My biggest fear is we dominate these next 3 games against the Colts banged up O-line and Mini's one dimensional offense and he goes into the playoffs thinking that this vanilla crap is good enough to keep us going.

Rep.

This team hasnt been the same since the bye week and Wade's honeymoon isnt going to last much longer if we continue to see the recent product.

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Rep.

This team hasnt been the same since the bye week and Wade's honeymoon isnt going to last much longer if we continue to see the recent product.

This is bull.... the defense started slow, that was their only problem. From the second qtr on, they held their own, dominated most of that time. That game showed many reasons to be optimistic about Wade's defense, from the pass rush, to LB, to the DBs.

hradhak
12-16-2012, 08:47 AM
I think our team follows a certain pattern when it comes to winning a game:
We get a score early. The defense makes a stop or 2. And we are ahead big by the half.
In games like Baltimore, we got a turnover or 2 to get up big.

Our real problem is that when our offense and defense start out slow, we can't run the ball to get back in games and are left throwing too much. Our defense cannot start out slow. In games like Jax and Det we let both linger because we didn't get early stops..

Our offense is designed to play from ahead. We have to keep to that formula if we wanna win in the playoffs.

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Our offense is designed to play from ahead. We have to keep to that formula if we wanna win in the playoffs.

True.

But, we came from behind in that Lions game. Our offense started slow against the Broncos, we gave up a safety, then a field goal, we were down 5-0 within 4 minutes of the start of the game.

We can't go down by 21 points & still expect to win the game. Nobody can, especially going against the Patriots.

Unless we were blowing smoke up our own butts, when we were talking about this team being balanced & able to win in multitudes of ways, I think it's just a matter of will to get it done.

Truthfully, that's been the problem with this team for a long time now. Getting enough people on offense & defense to understand if they do what they are trained to do, they will win. Penalties here & there, bad calls here & there, blown assignments here & there would snowball & we'd "find" new ways to lose.

We've shown incredible resolve throughout the year that those "here & there" mishaps don't bother us quite so much. However, against the elite offenses, Packers & Patriots, and to some extent Detroit, they came too often & too early.

76Texan
12-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I personally was wondering why if they are doing quick passes to the middle of the field. Why didn't he move the CBs up and do a bump and run. At the very least it messes up the rhythm and give another second or two to the D-Line.

I hope he is saving the elaborate blitz packages for the post season. It would be nice think, that is the long term game plan. Get the guys established on the vanilla stuff while practicing the other.

There are several reasons as to why bump and run do not work as much as one would think.

The defense is showing its hand, since it's impossible to switch to zone.
Before the defenders can find their landmark, some receiver would already found the soft spot in the zone.

There Are pass patterns and schemes to beat bump and run like the switch routes, the bunch formation, receiver and TE screens, etc.
Basically, one or two receivers in the offensive formation can easily set screen(s) for another receiver to get free easily.

And of course, if the receiver beats the bump in one-and-one, it's usually a long gain.

powda
12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
This is bull.... the defense started slow, that was their only problem. From the second qtr on, they held their own, dominated most of that time.

What I saw looked like us being dominated. What was the score again?

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
What I saw looked like us being dominated. What was the score again?

The offense was dominated through & through. Wade made his adjustments, our "man defense" shut Brady down quite a bit. 3 three & outs to end the first half. They stopped them from scoring on 2 of 3 of their 3rd qtr possessions.

If the offense was doing their thing & just performed to their average throughout the season, that would have been a good enough performance from the defense to win that game.

Look, for 3 weeks we've been crying about our defense & how poor they looked even though we won.

We lost, no doubt, but the defense played very well against the best offense in the league & I think they should get credit for it. The defense is getting healthy & they're turning it around.

They gave up a lot of points... I understand how that helps your point. But again, that is more about the poor performance of our offense against the 26th ranked defense.

The Patriots had something like 12 (maybe more) possessions in that game. There's no way we were ever going to win a game against the Patriots at that pace. Most of us knew going in that we were going to have to play Gary-ball to have a chance. But that didn't happen either. The only reason the TOP looks close, is because the Pats scored so quick & we had 12+ possessions.

powda
12-16-2012, 12:56 PM
The offense was dominated through & through. Wade made his adjustments, our "man defense" shut Brady down quite a bit. 3 three & outs to end the first half. They stopped them from scoring on 2 of 3 of their 3rd qtr possessions.

If the offense was doing their thing & just performed to their average throughout the season, that would have been a good enough performance from the defense to win that game.

Look, for 3 weeks we've been crying about our defense & how poor they looked even though we won.

We lost, no doubt, but the defense played very well against the best offense in the league & I think they should get credit for it. The defense is getting healthy & they're turning it around.

They gave up a lot of points... I understand how that helps your point. But again, that is more about the poor performance of our offense against the 26th ranked defense.

The Patriots had something like 12 (maybe more) possessions in that game. There's no way we were ever going to win a game against the Patriots at that pace. Most of us knew going in that we were going to have to play Gary-ball to have a chance. But that didn't happen either. The only reason the TOP looks close, is because the Pats scored so quick & we had 12+ possessions.

Some good points here, but we've been giving up big plays we weren't earlier in the season. Ultimately it makes no difference if the D looks good for 5 out of 6 plays on a drive. All it takes is the one play to give up points. Going into the offseason what do you think the defenses priority addition should be?

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Some good points here, but we've been giving up big plays we weren't earlier in the season. Ultimately it makes no difference if the D looks good for 5 out of 6 plays on a drive. All it takes is the one play to give up points. Going into the offseason what do you think the defenses priority addition should be?

Like I said, we're getting healthy. We had new defensive starters every week, either to start the game, or before the game was over. As I said before, we won those games, expecting them to look as good as they always have, is unreasonable until we get this health thing to settle down.

Now, I think we've reached that point.

We'll see.

mussop
12-16-2012, 01:05 PM

What was the score again? You can ignore the fact that they gave up a zillion yards and points the last few games just because they strung together a few stops against Brady when NE had a huge lead if you want to. Don't expect reasonable people to do it with you.

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 01:23 PM
What was the score again? You can ignore the fact that they gave up a zillion yards and points the last few games just because they strung together a few stops against Brady when NE had a huge lead if you want to. Don't expect reasonable people to do it with you.

"They" is not our defense. "They" just happened to be the guys we had left. "They" got us stops when they needed & we won those games despite giving up points & yards.

Ignore it? That's absurd, I'm not asking anyone to ignore anything. Put it in perspective.... that's all I'm saying.

If we had started the year thinking the main players would be Barwin, Merci, & Braman at OLB, Sharpton & Dobbins at ILB, Kj, Quin, Manning, Harris, & Roc Carmichael at DB, then they deserve all the criticism they're getting.

But that's not the case. We're having to deal with injuries, just like everybody else & winning games against Detroit & Jacksonville is more important than looking good doing it.

I'm hoping the injury thing has slowed down for our defense & the guys who are starting now will be our starters for the next 6 weeks. If that's the case, then 4 three & outs, 5 stops against the #1 offense in the league looks promising.

I'm looking to the future, not ignoring the past.

amazing80
12-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Blah our defense is terrible at all levels minus Watt.

Seriously how the hell will we stop AP next week?:bat:

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Blah our defense is terrible at all levels minus Watt.

Seriously how the hell will we stop AP next week?:bat:

Don't need to stop AD, just need to win the game.

amazing80
12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Don't need to stop AD, just need to win the game.

LOL they way our offense is plying, if we don't stop AP we won't be able to match his production...

Kgbmedic
12-17-2012, 04:56 PM
There are several reasons as to why bump and run do not work as much as one would think.

The defense is showing its hand, since it's impossible to switch to zone.
Before the defenders can find their landmark, some receiver would already found the soft spot in the zone.

There Are pass patterns and schemes to beat bump and run like the switch routes, the bunch formation, receiver and TE screens, etc.
Basically, one or two receivers in the offensive formation can easily set screen(s) for another receiver to get free easily.

And of course, if the receiver beats the bump in one-and-one, it's usually a long gain.

I realize that but it would have been nice to see him move them up every now and then sporadically to mess with the timing issue. Just a thought.

76Texan
12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
I realize that but it would have been nice to see him move them up every now and then sporadically to mess with the timing issue. Just a thought.

We do, every now and then.

ALso, normally, there's only one receiver and one TE (or two receivers) on the line; the others are further back.

You can't bump them efficiently as if they are right up there on the line.

Things are always easier said than done.
Grass is always greener on the other side.

HJam72
12-18-2012, 12:06 PM
We do, every now and then.

ALso, normally, there's only one receiver and one TE (or two receivers) on the line; the others are further back.

You can't bump them efficiently as if they are right up there on the line.

Things are always easier said than done.
Grass is always greener on the other side.

The easiest way to deal with this is not to try making your grass greener; it is to do something to ruin everyone else's. :)

Steal Your Face
12-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Packers
Patriots

Packers
Patriots

Panthers ...

76Texan
12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
The easiest way to deal with this is not to try making your grass greener; it is to do something to ruin everyone else's. :)

Your grass can be greener when you don't commit too many unforced mistakes. :)

BTW, you don't see our receivers got jammed much.

The last time a guy tried to do that a bit too often, he got beat the F out his name, LOL.

I need that gif please.

HJam72
12-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Your grass can be greener when you don't commit too many unforced mistakes. :)

BTW, you don't see our receivers got jammed much.

The last time a guy tried to do that a bit too often, he got beat the F out his name, LOL.

I need that gif please.

I just got a laugh out of picturing myself pouring gasoline on all my neighbor's yards. :)

I don't even have a yard.

76Texan
12-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I just got a laugh out of picturing myself pouring gasoline on all my neighbor's yards. :)

I don't even have a yard.

Oh no, you're the neighbor on my left ! :smiliepalm: