PDA

View Full Version : Setback for NFL: Tagliabue vacates Bounty suspensions

IDEXAN
12-11-2012, 01:34 PM
1:26PM EST December 11. 2012 - The implicated players in the New Orleans Saints bounty case got the appeals process they wanted.

And now, they have the verdict they wanted as well.

Former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has vacated all player discipline suspensions and fines levied by current commissioner Roger Goodell, according to league spokesman Greg Aiello, even though Tagliabue affirmed the factual findings Goodell made in the case.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/11/paul-tagliabue-bounty-appeals-ruling-jonathan-vilma-will-smith-anthony-hargrove-scott-fujita-roger-goodell/1759923/

Goatcheese
12-11-2012, 01:59 PM
... wut?

:choke:

2012Champs
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
This might have been a smart backdoor move by Goodell, have Paul kill the suspensions is better than him doing it himself and since he deferred it to Paul this part of the deal is over

GlassHalfFull
12-11-2012, 03:55 PM
How does this affect the coach suspensions?

Rey
12-11-2012, 04:05 PM
This might have been a smart backdoor move by Goodell, have Paul kill the suspensions is better than him doing it himself and since he deferred it to Paul this part of the deal is over

Not exactly...

Vilma is still going forward with his defamation suit...

2012Champs
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Not exactly...

thats why I said this part of the deal is over, the legal issue is the other part

infantrycak
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Not exactly...

You're correct the defamation suit is out there but Vilma has an uphill battle on that one. In that suit he is going to have to prove the allegations false or had no reasonable basis.

2012Champs
12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
You're correct the defamation suit is out there but Vilma has an uphill battle on that one. In that suit he is going to have to prove the allegations false or had no reasonable basis.

Do you also have to prove that there was a financial impact to the defamation? I thought I heard t hat somewhere but Im not sure

infantrycak
12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Do you also have to prove that there was a financial impact to the defamation? I thought I heard t hat somewhere but Im not sure

Kind of. Because this involves his occupation it likely falls within defamation per se laws where malice need not be proved and damages are presumed. Having said that, if you just rely on the presumption you are likely to get an award of $1 or something similar. If you want anything other than that you better prove it. If it is not deemed defamation per se then any damages must be proved.

HOU-TEX
12-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Am I the only one that found Brees' comments kind of irritating? Yeah Drew, your little rant probably makes you a hero in NOLA. But to me, y'all are just sticking your heads in the sand acting as if 'something' never happened.

I like Brees, but he sure did sound like a prick.