PDA

View Full Version : One good thing about losing tonight

keyser
12-10-2012, 11:22 PM
OK, there's really nothing good about that performance.

But, it does eliminate one actual worry I had, which was that we'd lock up home-field early, and then have several weeks where we're playing for nothing. I think that kind of wait can lead to players getting rusty and undisciplined. Odd as it sounds, if we had 2 games that had no effect followed by a bye week, I don't think we'd be very sharp in the playoffs.

Instead, we are going to be playing 3 games that matter, almost no matter how we do on these games. Even if we win next week, we have Denver and NE to worry about to get a bye, and we have to play to win in the following week. If NE continues their roll (and I don't see why not), winning out is the only way we are likely to get HF advantage. I honestly think we'll do best in the playoffs if we've played all the games hard, and then get one bye week.

All of that seems kind of ridiculous to think about after tonight's performance, but we still control our destiny. Our team is capable of winning out (though not if they play like tonight), and if we do, we have HF advantage in the playoffs. I'd love to have a chance at revenge against the Patriots in Houston.

gwallaia
12-10-2012, 11:23 PM
What does not kill you makes you stronger.

BullBlitz
12-10-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm glad to see both teams play for something meaningful next week.

Hervoyel
12-10-2012, 11:27 PM
The only positive I see about this is that maybe it makes the Texans angry enough to go out and rip the Colts and Vikings a pair of new ones and we sew up HFA.

Then if we cross paths with these guys again the Texans will face them at home and if being beaten 42-7 doesn't motivate them enough to man-up in the rematch then nothing will.

Wolf
12-10-2012, 11:28 PM
The only positive I see about this is that maybe it makes the Texans angry enough to go out and rip the Colts and Vikings a pair of new ones and we sew up HFA.

Then if we cross paths with these guys again the Texans will face them at home and if being beaten 42-7 doesn't motivate them enough to man-up in the rematch then nothing will.

Yep like the pats blew out the giants a few years ago

ATXtexanfan
12-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Not like we beat the pats twice. Just reaching......

Exascor
12-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Another good thing is it sets things back to normal in the football world. Brady & Manning are back on top. Packers & Giants in control. The only thing that could make the media happier is if Roethlisberger wins the AFC North & Dallas sneaks into the playoffs. I think the media was scared the Texans might actually be the best team. Now the only way that can happen is the Texans winning the Superbowl.

Big Lou
12-10-2012, 11:31 PM
I hate losing in an ass kicking, but NE played well, had luck on their side, and every ticky tack call, and BS call went their way.

I think our boys getc mad, win out and use the ass kicking at home against NE.

Jump off the wagon if you want, we''re 11 and 2, best record in the AFC last time checked.

ajohnson80
12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
I like flying under the radar. Everyone will dismiss us now and we can start playin better ball going into playoffs.

Hookem Horns
12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
One good thing about this game is that I no longer have my hopes up.

I have now accepted that this team is not a SB caliber team so anything positive they do from now on is a bonus.

gwallaia
12-10-2012, 11:34 PM

I'm angry enough right now to beat the Colts and Vikings myself. Click the link to hear the kind of speech the team needs to hear before the next 3 games start. Not for young ears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7KijRfU-c

TexanSam
12-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm just not sure if the Texans match up well with the Pats regardless of where we play. I don't think a rematch would be such a blowout, but it feels to me like the Pats exploited some major flaws on our team.

TheMatrix31
12-10-2012, 11:35 PM
If the Texans need to lose this game to get psyched up again, then that pisses me off.

I know you can't win every week, but I just can't stand this whole "oh, at least they'll be hyped up next week" thing.

GP
12-10-2012, 11:37 PM
One good thing about this game is that I no longer have my hopes up.

I have now accepted that this team is not a SB caliber team so anything positive they do from now on is a bonus.

You should write Hallmark cards. :kitten:

Stemp
12-10-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm just not sure if the Texans match up well with the Pats regardless of where we play. I don't think a rematch would be such a blowout, but it feels to me like the Pats exploited some major flaws on our team.

Not with our injuries and especially not in NE with the early calls going their way.

I feel better about this game at home.

We need to take care of business and finish up with a 3 game winning streak.

Talk radio is going to be brutal tomorrow. Think I'll just listen to a CD book instead.

thunderkyss
12-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I think this is like when LBs see Arian for the first time, or Jj Watt for the first time. They heard all the stories, but until you see them you don't believe how fast or how strong they are.

I don't think our team believed they could score that quick on us. Not quite 21 pts in the first qtr, but purtdamnquick.

Then the penalties & the questionable drive-extending calls... I think we lost our composure & didn't regain it until it was too late.

G27RR
12-10-2012, 11:42 PM
If the Texans need to lose this game to get psyched up again, then that pisses me off.

I know you can't win every week, but I just can't stand this whole "oh, at least they'll be hyped up next week" thing.

I've got to agree with you on that.

DocBar
12-10-2012, 11:45 PM
What does not kill you makes you stronger.Except we got killed. What's the effing morale saving BS saying for that? What kills you can't kill you again, cuz you're already effing dead??? um..woo

hradhak
12-10-2012, 11:46 PM
This is a good learning experience for us. We have been able to get away with not showing up for a few quarters but still win the game. It's a good reminder of how being unfocused really kills you against a good team.

TexCanada
12-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Except we got killed. What's the effing morale saving BS saying for that? What kills you can't kill you again, cuz you're already effing dead??? um..woo

Except we are not dead. In fact, the Pats still look up at us in the standings.

We need to learn from our mistakes and move on, we have a very important stretch of games coming up.

BufordTJustice
12-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Maybe we can finally get rid of those bandwagoners...:pop:

But seriously, check the boards after losing a game. They stand out like sore thumbs.

To all my true fellow Texans fans: Stand strong, support your Texans!

I just got my Texans car decals in the mail today...I'm going outside to put them on right now.

silentassassin
12-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Agreed. It's DEFINITELY OK to be pissed about a game like this.

Just have to realize they have a HUGE chance to get things back in order with a win at home on Sunday.

Let's not lose sight of what's ahead.

fiasco west
12-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Pats play the 9ers next week.

If we beat the Colts and Pats lose I think we'd lock up at least the 2nd seed right? Because we have the tie breaker over the Broncos.

hradhak
12-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Pats play the 9ers next week.

If we beat the Colts and Pats lose I think we'd lock up at least the 2nd seed right? Because we have the tie breaker over the Broncos.

We have to beat the Vikings or Colts (last week of the season) to do so. We need two wins to win the division still.

Hookem Horns
12-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Maybe we can finally get rid of those bandwagoners...:pop:

But seriously, check the boards after losing a game. They stand out like sore thumbs.

To all my true fellow Texans fans: Stand strong, support your Texans!

I just got my Texans car decals in the mail today...I'm going outside to put them on right now.

Actually the bandwagoners leave the boards and disappear. The diehards stick around to either criticize the team or criticize the criticizers.

DocBar
12-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Actually the bandwagoners leave the boards and disappear. The diehards stick around to either criticize the team or criticize the criticizers.Hot pink soap will be all the rage on here for the next 5 days.

JCTexan
12-11-2012, 12:24 AM
We have to beat the Vikings or Colts (last week of the season) to do so. We need two wins to win the division still.

Nah, just one of the Colts games. Winning the Vikings game alone won't get us the division but one of the Colts games will.

MEGA SWATT
12-11-2012, 12:36 AM
:kitten:Let's put this in perspective - we're asking the Texans to be 13-0 right now. We should have beat the packers and we should have beat the pats tonite to prove we are for real, right??? Unless we lose to crap teams like the titans and the jags and then beat GB and NE to be 11-2. Either way - we have to be undefeated or lose twice to teams we should beat.:kitten:

Maybe all we need to do is avoid teams that start with P.

thunderkyss
12-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Hot pink soap will be all the rage on here for the next 5 days.

I've been sporting pink soap for several weeks already.

fiasco west
12-11-2012, 12:49 AM
:kitten:Let's put this in perspective - we're asking the Texans to be 13-0 right now. We should have beat the packers and we should have beat the pats tonite to prove we are for real, right??? Unless we lose to crap teams like the titans and the jags and then beat GB and NE to be 11-2. Either way - we have to be undefeated or lose twice to teams we should beat.:kitten:

Maybe all we need to do is avoid teams that start with P.

Heh...

And you know what? The other "Elite" teams have all dropped some games to some lesser teams.

The Texans so far have not lost a game they shouldn't have. So far the two losses have been blow outs but they have beat every team they should have and some people had them losing to the Ravens and Bears when they came upon those teams.

They are fine where they are at, I'll take it. Just finish off the season with 3 wins and get healthy for the playoffs.

Mr. Texan
12-11-2012, 12:52 AM
honestly i'd rather get caught slippin and drop games to teams that we should beat from time to time than get destroyed in so called "biggest games in texans history" that we circle on the calendar.

to win a super bowl you're gonna have to most likely go through an elite qb as opposed to chad henne or jake locker.

Perki-Perk
12-11-2012, 12:53 AM

If we (11-2) beat the Colts (9-4) that would lock up the Division. That would make us 12-2 and the Colts 9-5 with only 2 games left. Thank you, come again.

Perki-Perk
12-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Actually the bandwagoners leave the boards and disappear. The diehards stick around to either criticize the team or criticize the criticizers.

I'm going to let you slide because A) the Horns were terrible this year and B)this is kind of your board...

silentassassin
12-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Heh...

And you know what? The other "Elite" teams have all dropped some games to some lesser teams.

The Texans so far have not lost a game they shouldn't have. So far the two losses have been blow outs but they have beat every team they should have and some people had them losing to the Ravens and Bears when they came upon those teams.

They are fine where they are at, I'll take it. Just finish off the season with 3 wins and get healthy for the playoffs.

HOMER!!!! Joking aside, I'm in total agreement here.

I just think more stock is put into these games by national media/most fans because they want answers to questions.

For example, "Are the Texans capable of winning a playoff game against a more experienced team?"

Of course, this game gave us a LITTLE BIT of insight into that. But ultimately, playoff games are played under much different circumstances.

fiasco west
12-11-2012, 01:03 AM
HOMER!!!! Joking aside, I'm in total agreement here.

I just think more stock is put into these games by national media/most fans because they want answers to questions.

For example, "Are the Texans capable of winning a playoff game against a more experienced team?"

Of course, this game gave us a LITTLE BIT of insight into that. But ultimately, playoff games are played under much different circumstances.

That's how I feel.

The Texans are past regular season 'Test' games. Just like the Falcons are, the Giants, Packers, etc.

What we say about these teams is decided in January. We are not the little brother Texans again, we've played in big games, we've won big games, now it's about moving forward and getting wins in the post season. That's how Kubes should be judged.

Hookem Horns
12-11-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm going to let you slide because A) the Horns were terrible this year and B)this is kind of your board...

No worries, I am fair game just like anyone else. That said, not sure what you disagree with there.

The bandwagon fans disappear after losses. They don't care enough to come back to this board to say how much Kubiak sucks as a HC or criticize any players. The ones that do that are diehards too. They are just pessimistic diehards or realists depending on your personal view.

You don't have to be a "sunshine pumper" to be a diehard.

thunderkyss
12-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Heh...

The Colts won the Super Bowl in 2006. We finished 8-8 that year & beat them in week 16.

mattieuk
12-11-2012, 01:18 AM
The positives about tonight. Well firstly Kubiak has all the material he needs to make sure the players get (and well, him as well) go out and get home field advantage locked up - there is no way after tonight that they want to go anywhere near Foxboro in the playoffs.

If we're clinging to possible future positives, perhaps the players can use the experience tonight as a learning tool for the next matchup. We have a number of players who are good students and will hopefully be formulating their own ideas about how to handle the Pats if we meet them again, as well as the coaches.

After the GB game, this is a sickener - and I'm sure we all thought this kind of result was done for the season, but hey, it happened, the Texans are still a Superbowl contender.

I can understand people being pissed at the moment, but there are going to be more meaningful games for the team this season, regardless of what ESPN is telling everyone.

midway
12-11-2012, 01:20 AM

That's actually completely wrong. We need one win against the Colts. A win against the Vikings does us no good if we lose both games to the Colts and they win their one remaining non-Texans game.

fiasco west
12-11-2012, 01:37 AM
The positives about tonight. Well firstly Kubiak has all the material he needs to make sure the players get (and well, him as well) go out and get home field advantage locked up - there is no way after tonight that they want to go anywhere near Foxboro in the playoffs.

If we're clinging to possible future positives, perhaps the players can use the experience tonight as a learning tool for the next matchup. We have a number of players who are good students and will hopefully be formulating their own ideas about how to handle the Pats if we meet them again, as well as the coaches.

After the GB game, this is a sickener - and I'm sure we all thought this kind of result was done for the season, but hey, it happened, the Texans are still a Superbowl contender.

I can understand people being pissed at the moment, but there are going to be more meaningful games for the team this season, regardless of what ESPN is telling everyone.

Yeah...did the Texans come out and say this was the franchise biggest game? I keep hearing that, I stopped following all the weekly build up since NBA season is back so just wondering.

Would be odd to say since the Ravens playoff game was bigger.

The best thing though is what you said. This wasn't win or go home, not yet. The team lives to fight another day. All I know is if they show up and get whooped by the Patriots again? I'll be looking at the coach.

Norg
12-11-2012, 02:02 AM
well not really i think if NE or Den lose one game then Vikes and @ INdy will mean nothing ......

Den takes on Ravens

and NE takes on SF

so ehh we will see

sbalderrama
12-11-2012, 02:09 AM
I was thinking it would be really difficult to beat the Pats twice, so now maybe if we meet them in the post season we'll have a better shot. :D

DX-TEX
12-11-2012, 02:11 AM

they looked pretty damn dead tonight.

HJam72
12-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Yeah...did the Texans come out and say this was the franchise biggest game? I keep hearing that, I stopped following all the weekly build up since NBA season is back so just wondering.

Would be odd to say since the Ravens playoff game was bigger.

The best thing though is what you said. This wasn't win or go home, not yet. The team lives to fight another day. All I know is if they show up and get whooped by the Patriots again? I'll be looking at the coach.

I believe they said it was the biggest regular season game ever.

Hookem Horns
12-11-2012, 04:53 AM
I was thinking it would be really difficult to beat the Pats twice, so now maybe if we meet them in the post season we'll have a better shot. :D

That's one way to look at things.

IMO, the best shot the Texans have to make the SB is hope for a 1994 Denver Nuggets over Seattle Supersonics type upset involving the Patriots in the 2nd round. Rockets fans will know what I am talking about.

Hooston Texan
12-11-2012, 05:59 AM
If we take care of business and still secure home field, it might be better that we lost this game. A win would have knocked NE to the 4 seed (they lose the tiebreaker to Baltimore) where they would likely be our divisional-round opponent. If we still get the top seed, I'd much rather have Denver and NE get the next two seeds.

The way we play defense (lots of blitzing and man coverage) leaves us vulnerable to elite QBs. Even if we have home field, asking this current defense to beat Manning and Brady in consecutive weeks may be a bit much. Better to have the brackets aligned so that they play each other for the right to play us.

That's about all I can come up with from a "positives" perspective. That was a pretty thorough whipping.

TexanBacker93
12-11-2012, 09:52 AM

and that which doesn't make you stronger kills you.

just sayin...

TexanBacker93
12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Yep like the pats blew out the giants a few years ago

When was this? The last 2 times they've played in the regular season they won by 4 and 3. I

Tailgate
12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Honestly, if we get end up getting the number #2 seed... Does anyone truly think we can go back up to NE and win that game?

thunderkyss
12-11-2012, 11:14 AM
and NE takes on SF

I'd like to think our defense is in the same league with SF but if they beat Brady.... I'm going to have to rethink a lot.