PDA

View Full Version : VERBA: 35 MILLION or Else

duntadaman23
06-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I say what the hell. Go sign him and in negotiations tell him he is guaranteed the starting left tackle spot. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2075601

D-ReK
06-04-2005, 03:03 PM
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone made a "get Verba now" thread...I saw this in the Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1117877420326811.xml&coll=2#continue):

"That's great," said Verba when informed Friday night about Shelton. "Now they have a left tackle and hopefully they'll cut me. Please cut me now!"

Verba, who's been holding out for a bigger contract, said those plans haven't changed. He has said he'll sit out the season if the Browns don't up the ante. Verba is under contract for two more seasons at $2.95 million a year, but wants a five-year deal worth about $38.5 million.

Let's give another aging veteran a ridiculous contract, great idea :rolleyes: ...

ATX
06-04-2005, 04:14 PM
even if we got verba, he'd probably injure his left shoulder before the season, sit out a year or two, then retire.

gcolby
06-04-2005, 04:34 PM
even if we got verba, he'd probably injure his left shoulder before the season, sit out a year or two, then retire.

lol: lol: lol: lol:

Davis37
06-04-2005, 04:44 PM
lol seems about right

hey gcolby i love ur avatar! :highfive:

keyfro
06-04-2005, 04:45 PM
how about not...this guy thinks he's the next chad clifton or something...he's an average guard playing LT...i would gladdly take another year of seth wand playing LT and pitts playing LG rather than sign this joke and see him f-up the o-line...and THERE IS NO WAY he is worth 38.5 million dollars

Davis37
06-04-2005, 04:55 PM
how about not...this guy thinks he's the next chad clifton or something...he's an average guard playing LT...i would gladdly take another year of seth wand playing LT and pitts playing LG rather than sign this joke and see him f-up the o-line...and THERE IS NO WAY he is worth 38.5 million dollars

I agree. Why waste ALOT of money on this guy, when we have Pitts at LG and a sure to improve Wand at LT. If Wand somehow doesnt progress enough to be a good enough starter for us this year, there is always a very strong OT draft coming up next season. Anyways, when CC was talking on TV at the Astros game the other day, he said they want to build this team through the draft and not through FAs. I would rather let Seth Wand show us what he is made of this year, and if its not enough grab a LT in the high 1st round of the draft next year.

duntadaman23
06-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Ross Verba is one of the premier tackles in the game. Let me make you aware of something. People talk about hes an aging veteran but look at Walter Jones,Orlando Pace, and Jonathan Ogden. All 4 of these players are 30 or older including Ross so you are telling me that you would not sign any of the 4 b/c they are getting older? And to the guy who said something about him being injured he missed 22 games out of a possible 128 games. Which means throughout his career he has played 83% of the time. So I think the injury argument is stupid. Obviously Charley Casserly is not throwin money around b/c if he was we would have signed Boulware and Shelton so I say sign Verba to a good deal and let that be that.

texansfan1974
06-04-2005, 06:04 PM
YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET OFF WAND'S WAND BECAUSE HE WILL NEVER BE A PREMEIR TACKLE IN THIS LEAGUE. WE NEED TO GO AND GET ONE AND VERBA WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT CHOICE IF HE BECOMES AVALIBLE. IF WE DO NOT GET A GOOD ONE SOON WE MAY NOT SEE CARR MUCH LONGER . HIS TIME IS RUNNING OUT. :bomb:

Texans Pride
06-04-2005, 06:28 PM
YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET OFF WAND'S WAND BECAUSE HE WILL NEVER BE A PREMEIR TACKLE IN THIS LEAGUE. WE NEED TO GO AND GET ONE AND VERBA WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT CHOICE IF HE BECOMES AVALIBLE. IF WE DO NOT GET A GOOD ONE SOON WE MAY NOT SEE CARR MUCH LONGER . HIS TIME IS RUNNING OUT. :bomb:

Are you angry? Why are you yelling at everyone here? Let's talk. . .

Texans Pride
06-04-2005, 06:34 PM
I was all for getting a new lt, but I don’t want to pull someone in because we are in need and will jump at anyone available. Shelton was a teams castoff, and he is replacing another teams cast off. I would much rather stick it out another year, and take someone in a draft that has good tackles in it. That way we get someone young, who is good, and who can grow with this team, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg because we are so desperate.

Someone said it in another post somewhere. If we are going to acquire another FA this year, I would much rather it be a quality TE (if one comes available) and just hold off till next years draft and get ourselves a new tackle. . .

ComstockLode
06-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I was all for getting a new lt, but I don’t want to pull someone in because we are in need and will jump at anyone available. Shelton was a teams castoff, and he is replacing another teams cast off. I would much rather stick it out another year, and take someone in a draft that has good tackles in it. That way we get someone young, who is good, and who can grow with this team, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg because we are so desperate.

Someone said it in another post somewhere. If we are going to acquire another FA this year, I would much rather it be a quality TE (if one comes available) and just hold off till next years draft and get ourselves a new tackle. . .

Yeah, because an LT is no where as an important as having a TE who can catch and block :rolleyes:

keyfro
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM
duntadaman23 Ross Verba is one of the premier tackles in the game.

in what world is verba one of the premier tackles in the game...i honestly do not think that any of the gm's in the league believe he is worth 38.5 million...especially his own gm...the browns haven't had a LT since they came back to the league...ross verba isn't the guy we need...now i'm not saying that seth wand is the answer but the answer will probably going to come in next years draft

texansfan1974
06-05-2005, 11:55 AM
A tightend is very important but, how can you throw the ball with no protection. Without a left tackle this will be Carr. :ouch:

Texans Pride
06-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah, because an LT is no where as an important as having a TE who can catch and block :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here or not. Are you saying that getting another TE during FA is not a good idea, and that we should grab a LT who is available? Or are you saying we should get a quality TE if one comes available and worry about the LT during the draft next year?

I believe the latter of the two is the best choice at this point.

Texans Pride
06-05-2005, 12:21 PM
A tightend is very important but, how can you throw the ball with no protection. Without a left tackle this will be Carr. :ouch:

That's a cute picture but I'm not sure what you are trying to say? That picture looks like that thing is in a limbo contest.... HEY CARR, HOW LOW CAN YOU GO, HOW LOW CAN YOU GO!

texansfan1974
06-05-2005, 12:47 PM
LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY THEN PROTECT HIM OR ITS LIGHTS OUT :goodnight

rittenhouserobz
06-06-2005, 06:59 AM
I thought the coaches addressed that already. Didn't they say they are going to more 3 and 5 step passes with more blocking? I think his protection is paramount this year. I am just hoping and praying that the Texans land a franchise LT in the next draft.

JDizzle
06-06-2005, 08:55 AM
I am just hoping and praying that the Texans land a franchise LT in the next draft.

I'd rather have a premier tight end. I also don't want to see us drafting very high next year.

Mr Shush
06-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Our own pick won't be that high. I'd set the over-under at 18. But I expect to see Casserly trade up into the top ten or as high as he thinks is necessary to get whichever tackle he likes best, probably using Davis and/or Ragone as leverage.

royce1054
06-06-2005, 10:53 AM
well i think it comes down to who do you think is better Wand or Verba.
I think the Texans have enough cap room to sign verba. What would it hurt to bring the guy in and give him a chance if he can be just a little better than wand i say go for it.

Blake
06-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Why do you want a guy who could just be a little better than Wand? Its starting to look like we are going with Wand and Pitts. Let them battle it out.

We made a run at Pace.
We made a smaller run at Shelton.
Now you want Verba? C'mon. I would rather have Pitts at LT.

2006 NFL draft.
Offensive Tackles
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
2. Eric Winston, Miami (FL)
3. Jonathan Scott, Texas
4. Marcus McNeill, Auburn
5. Andrew Whitworth, L.S.U.

God I hope we finally get our franchise Left Tackle.

dirty steve
06-06-2005, 11:11 AM
getting verba would put us in the same as if we signed pace (not counting the compensation). i just wish everybody wouldn't jump at every "name" FA or FA to be.

Mr Shush
06-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Verba is old, declining and starting to pick up injuries. Wand is young and still improving, and has had time to get used to our blocking schemes. Verba at his best may well have been better than Wand will ever be, but Wand now is probably better than Verba now and Wand in a year or two's time will be a damn sight better than Verba then. Moreover, Verba seems to want an utterly preposterous contract. No go, especially as he hasn't even been cut yet.

ArlingtonTexan
06-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I know this is a gossip site, but here is a look at Verba from profootballtalk.com

VERBA BLASTED IN LEAGUE CIRCLES

Though he has not yet commanded the same degree of media attention as T.O. on his demands for a new deal, Browns offensive lineman Ross Verba is getting blasted repeatedly by league insiders for his current contract.

As one league insider told us over the weekend, "Verba is one of the biggest *******s in the league. . . . [H]e is just about hated in the Cleveland locker room. He is a huge cancer."

Breaking it down simply and clearly, the source said, "He wants to get released because he thinks someone else will give him money. They will. The veteran's minimum."

Tell us, source, what you really think . . . .

"[Verba] ain't that good. He was an average player on one of the poorest teams in the league and a chronic complainer. Do you think anyone wants to pay for that? Especially at this late date? Just another case of an over inflated ego that has no clue what his real value is. If I was Cleveland, I would let him sit and fine the sh-t out of him. I would also try and get back some of his [$465,000] roster bonus they just paid him."

Speaking of bonus money, other league sources have 'splained to us that the real problem here is that Verba and his agent, Tom Condon, mishandled the situation a year ago when the team approached the veteran tackle regarding a restructuring of his contract. He was in the final year of a four-year, $16 million deal, and he was set to earn $4 million in 2004.

As we've previously argued, if Verba wanted to get paid big money, he should have refused to re-do his deal. Then, he either would have been cut last year and hit the open market, or he would have finished out his contract at $4 million in '04 and become eligible for free agency in 2005.

Instead, Verba and Condon agreed to add years to the deal, with none of the devices typically used to give the player freedom from the contract prematurely -- which can set the stage for a new contract either from the team he's already on or as an unrestricted free agent.

And to the extent that Verba believes former Browns coach Butch Davis "promised" him a new, more lucrative contract, the lesson for every player is that, if it ain't in writing, it don't mean squat. Also, these "side deals" are more officially known by a different name -- "salary cap violations."

Maybe that's why the Browns have been treading somewhat lightly on this situation thus far. If, after all, Verba decides to make a big stink about allegations that Davis made guarantees of future pay days that were not reduced to writing -- and if Davis admits that this indeed occurred -- the Browns could be in a little trouble with the league for cheating on the cap (but without the two late-'90s Super Bowl trophies to show for it).

infantrycak
06-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey, I hear Matt Stevens is available--he is one of the premier FS's in the league.

Sheesh people, really.

ATX
06-07-2005, 04:58 AM
here's you some matt stevens.

http://www.usacurl.org/athletes/biographies/matt_stevens.htm

[URL=http://]http://www.mc.edu/campus/users/steven03/
[URL=http://]http://images.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/04/superbowl/countdownphotos/gallery/photo11.jpg (http://)

http://www.miamidolphins.com/images/pressbox/fromthegame/fromthegame11887_s.jpg (http://)

JDizzle
06-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey, I hear Matt Stevens is available--he is one of the premier FS's in the league.

Sheesh people, really.

I wouldn't be too surprised if I heard that from someone on this board .... In a serious context, of course.

ArlingtonTexan
06-07-2005, 08:57 AM
some none Matt Stevens info..Verba given the permission to seek trade or the "we are going to cut you, but will try to get something from some sucker"

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1118136795257600.xml&coll=2

The Browns have given disgruntled left tackle Ross Verba permission to talk to other teams willing to trade for him.

They filed the necessary paperwork with the NFL office on Saturday, the same day L.J. Shelton signed a one-year contract, ostensibly to replace Verba.

General Manager Phil Savage said on Monday that the Browns have not formally closed the door on Verba returning to the team, but trading him would be the preference.

DRIFTAWAY
06-07-2005, 02:11 PM
i saw this over at foxsports.com I hope its not true, because i want verba to stay out of Houston.

The Plain Dealer's Tony Grossi reports that Browns left tackle Ross Verba has been given permission to work out a trade. Look for Verba to land with the Bears, Texans or Chiefs.

FoxSports.com Rumors (http://msn.foxsports.com/name/FS/rumors)

infantrycak
06-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Ross Verba may buy his way out. I'm betting this move backfires on over-inflated ego boy:

Ross Verba will be released by the Browns today when he agrees to repay a $465,000 roster bonus to the club.

A source close to Verba said Tuesday that Verba would give back the roster bonus to gain his freedom. He wants a contract better than the one that pays him $2.9 million in 2005 and 2006. Verba's exit was in the works after he told owner Randy Lerner he wanted out of Cleveland.

Let's see who (crosses fingers it isn't the Texans) is willing to pay him more than $6.3 mil over the next two seasons.

Doesn't he realize as soon as a team says they are willing to trade a player it is a forgone conclusion they will release him?

Link (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/111822342548360.xml&coll=2)

edo783
06-08-2005, 09:29 AM
This is Soooo going to blow back in his face. He was a pain in the backside in Greenbay and looks like he is the same in Cleveland. At one point he was an above average player, but he is on the wrong side of his career now with an over inflated ego.

El Tejano
06-08-2005, 01:17 PM
He is talking about getting out of Clevland. Alot of dudes are probably kicking and screaming to do that.

TheOgre
06-08-2005, 01:19 PM
We will be listed as "interested" in every player that can potentially start at LT until we find a solution to our problems there.

dalemurphy
06-09-2005, 08:35 AM
In Ahhnold's Voice

Thats vhy ve need to draaft Linemons..... and not vaste picks.... un runningbawks and QB. Yeahhhhh....

What OLman would you have taken in the 3rd round of the 2003 draft?

What OLman would you have taken in the 3rd round of the 2005 draft?

(I assume you're criticizing the drafting of Ragone and Morency)

keyfro
06-09-2005, 12:29 PM
you know i don't see verba being worth anything other than vet. minimum...and he won't take that...i say let's stick with wand at LT and pitts at LG and see if wand can come into his own...i mean what if the three year rule works and wand only lets 3-5 sacks this season...are we still gonna want a LT in the draft or redirect attention to TE?

dalemurphy
06-09-2005, 12:36 PM
you know i don't see verba being worth anything other than vet. minimum...and he won't take that...i say let's stick with wand at LT and pitts at LG and see if wand can come into his own...i mean what if the three year rule works and wand only lets 3-5 sacks this season...are we still gonna want a LT in the draft or redirect attention to TE?

If Wand gives up 9 sacks and commits 3 penalties while continuing to run block well, he's ahead of most of the supposed good LTs everyone is talking about:

Bryant McKinney
Levi Jones
LJ Shelton
Jordan Gross, etc...

I'll say right now, he won't give up more than 8 sacks this year. If he does, I'll scream "UNCLE" to Bottle of Bud and Ibar Harry.

El Tejano
06-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I'll say right now, he won't give up more than 8 sacks this year. If he does, I'll scream "UNCLE" to Bottle of Bud and Ibar Harry.

Let's keep this quoted because it will be a very exciting thread if DM ever has to cry uncle to those guys. :highfive:

BigDTexansFan
06-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Ross Verba says he will give them the check Thursday, then will be released then. Maybe we should call Tom Condon and see if he wants to visit Houston

U4ikrob
06-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Here's one source - but it's on al news wires

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-browns-verba&prov=ap&type=lgns

Youngstown Colt
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Ross Verba is one of the premier tackles in the game. Let me make you aware of something. People talk about hes an aging veteran but look at Walter Jones,Orlando Pace, and Jonathan Ogden. All 4 of these players are 30 or older including Ross so you are telling me that you would not sign any of the 4 b/c they are getting older? And to the guy who said something about him being injured he missed 22 games out of a possible 128 games. Which means throughout his career he has played 83% of the time. So I think the injury argument is stupid. Obviously Charley Casserly is not throwin money around b/c if he was we would have signed Boulware and Shelton so I say sign Verba to a good deal and let that be that.
your post went out the window right from the beginning. This man is HORRIBLE!

ArlingtonTexan
06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Everything is allegations: Only providing link because there are several within the story

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=36116

Hoss
06-09-2005, 06:16 PM
dude just got released...

wags
06-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Texans | Expected to Pursue Verba - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:08:22 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans are expected to be one of the team's most interested in free agent OT Ross Verba (Browns).

TexansNeedRBin05
06-10-2005, 02:36 AM
YA! :highfive: We get him and Henry were gonan be AWESOMEEEEEE!

rittenhouserobz
06-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Is it just me or does it look like the Browns getting Spears and us getting Verba seems like two desperate teams switching bad players. I geuss the Texans are willing to throw anything against the wall and see if it sticks. :party:

infantrycak
06-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Is it just me or does it look like the Browns getting Spears and us getting Verba seems like two desperate teams switching bad players. I geuss the Texans are willing to throw anything against the wall and see if it sticks. :party:

More likely just John Clayton throwing anything against the wall. Why in the world would the Texans pay more money for an over-inflated ego guard playing LT rather than just offer a little more (but still probably less than Verba) to Shelton? I'm not buying the desparation Clayton and the other media folks are selling--the Texans are looking for depth/competition from a bargain, not trying to throw big money at anyone willing to come here.

ArlingtonTexan
06-10-2005, 09:58 AM
More likely just John Clayton throwing anything against the wall. Why in the world would the Texans pay more money for an over-inflated ego guard playing LT rather than just offer a little more (but still probably less than Verba) to Shelton? I'm not buying the desparation Clayton and the other media folks are selling--the Texans are looking for depth/competition from a bargain, not trying to throw big money at anyone willing to come here.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1118396097217001.xml&coll=2

BROWNS
Verba on high road on way out of Berea
Friday, June 10, 2005
Mary Kay Cabot
Plain Dealer Reporter
Left tackle Ross Verba walked into the Browns' facility on Thursday morning, returned a bonus check for $465,000, said goodbye to his teammates and was promptly released.

Before he left, he even got a chance to wish good luck to his replacement, L.J. Shelton, who was introduced Thursday afternoon as the Browns' new starting left tackle.

Talk about not letting the door hit you on the way out.

"The deed is done," said Verba. "Now I'm free to sign with any team. It's over."

Verba, 31, is the top offensive tackle on the open market and is free to sign with anyone. He said his agent, Tom Condon, told him that 10 teams have already called to express interest. He wouldn't reveal which ones, but did name a few he'd like to play for.

"I'm interested mostly in the teams that need tackles," he said. "I'd like to play for San Diego, Houston, Buffalo, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, someone like that."

He said he'll start making visits next week. But those with little cash to spare need not apply.

"I'm telling teams, 'If you're not willing to give me a big multiyear contract, don't even bring me in," he said.

How big? "$35 million," said Verba. "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

He said his teammates were disappointed to see him go.

TEXANS84
06-10-2005, 10:05 AM
YA! :highfive: We get him and Henry were gonan be AWESOMEEEEEE!

I will pass on this inflated head:

NFL | Cash and Commitment Needed to Sign Verba - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 05:09:00 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Plain Dealer, reports free agent OT Ross Verba said he plans to start making visits to teams next week. He said his agent, Tom Condon, told him that 10 teams have already called to express interest. He wouldn't reveal which ones, but did name a few he'd like to play for. "I'm interested mostly in the teams that need tackles," he said. "I'd like to play for San Diego, Houston, Buffalo, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, someone like that." Verba said he will tell teams not to call unless they will be offering a big, multiyear contract. When asked how big, Verba replied, "$35 million." "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

BigDTexansFan
06-10-2005, 10:17 AM
"I'm telling teams, 'If you're not willing to give me a big multiyear contract, don't even bring me in," he said.

How big? "$35 million," said Verba. "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

Drunk on his own glory, he waddles away

HardKnockTexan
06-10-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a strange feeling that we see this guy in training camp. This is exactly the kinnda move the Texans seem to pull off. :brickwall

BigDTexansFan
06-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I say we tell Ross Verba to get back on his anti-psychotic meds quickly and call SF or anyone of a dozen other teams. Would rather see Carr sacked then bring in an overpaid horses butt to cause cap issues and throw away what we are building on our O-line. Heard stat that most successful teams have had O-line together for minimum of 3 years we need consistency not FA's with ego problems :brickwall

ArlingtonTexan
06-10-2005, 10:42 AM
per everyone's favorite gossip site: profootballtalk.com

VERBA ALREADY HAD A SUITOR?

In the wake of offensive tackle Ross Verba's release from the Browns, a league source has opined to us that Verba and agent Tom Condon likely had a new team quietly lined up for the veteran lineman before Verba went public last month with his refusal to play for the team under his current contract, and his desire to move on if a new deal isn't given to him.

"Not only does [Condon] have another suitor for Verba's services," the source said, "he had them some time ago or there would not have been this whole charade from the beginning. This guy was forcing himself out, because [Condon] already has something. If [Condon] didn't, that ******* Verba wouldn't be kicking and screaming.

"If they don't have anything, Verba is even dumber than he appears and it was a very poor job of Condon managing the situation."

The source's money is on Verba already having something lined up. "[Condon] doesn't have to worry about the long-arm of the law because they reside in his back pocket. Do you think the league wants to go after a guy that represents the NFLPA [executive direcor Gene Upshaw] and piss him off ?"

The other side of the coin here is that the Browns have allowed themselves to be backed into creating a bad precedent.

"They have now let it be known," said the source, "if you want out of Browns-Town, make enough noise, act like a jackass and you'll get your way. [I'm] not sure it's a good idea to show that you will reward that type of behavior."

Amen, source. The Browns should have taken a page from the Eagles' "Negotiating with Players Who Are Not Inclined To Honor Their Current Contracts" handbook and told Verba that he has a contract, and that he can either play according to its terms . . . or not play at all.

infantrycak
06-10-2005, 10:50 AM
"Not only does [Condon] have another suitor for Verba's services," the source said, "he had them some time ago or there would not have been this whole charade from the beginning.

The source's money is on Verba already having something lined up. "[Condon] doesn't have to worry about the long-arm of the law because they reside in his back pocket.

I know they say Condon won't be punished, but fact is what they are talking about is something blatantly against the rules. Has Casserly ever been accused of anything similar?

ojthecat
06-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey a 35 million on a multi year deal might not be that bad as long as there is not a large signing bonus. Then the only amount that would count against the cap is each year is his salary. So if structured correctly with escalating pay it could be done and still be cap friendly. Provided we cut him after a year or two.

texasguy346
06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
I just don't think Verba is worth anywhere near that sort of money. I hope CC takes a pass on him.

Mr Shush
06-10-2005, 11:23 AM
It's going to be easy for Verba to hold his head high when he retires next week because empty skulls don't weigh too much.

I thought O-linemen were statistically suposed to be the brightest players on the field.

dalemurphy
06-10-2005, 11:27 AM
It's going to be easy for Verba to hold his head high when he retires next week because empty skulls don't weigh too much.

I thought O-linemen were statistically suposed to be the brightest players on the field.

Being intelligent allows one to craft a more believable dreamworld.

HardKnockTexan
06-10-2005, 11:32 AM
In the wake of offensive tackle Ross Verba's release from the Browns, a league source has opined to us that Verba and agent Tom Condon likely had a new team quietly lined up for the veteran lineman before Verba went public last month with his refusal to play for the team under his current contract, and his desire to move on if a new deal isn't given to him.

"Not only does [Condon] have another suitor for Verba's services," the source said, "he had them some time ago or there would not have been this whole charade from the beginning. This guy was forcing himself out, because [Condon] already has something. If [Condon] didn't, that ******* Verba wouldn't be kicking and screaming.

This is making me think that it IS us that Condon was talking to. We didnt aggresivlly go after Shelton because we knew that Verba was on the way out.
I'm all for solidifying our line but I dont think this is the kinnda guy we need. I'd rather just see how our line does as is... with a year of playing together blah blah blah... lets just see how this season goes and then dish out some money next season if we dont improve.

Blake
06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
How do any of you guys know how good he is? :hmmm:
Just wondering since we all watch Cleveland Brown games! :hmmm:

You didnt know that everyone on this board was a Browns fan, and watched the games?

In fact they are even Ross Verba experts. So watch your mouth. ;)

mulpwr
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
How do any of you guys know how good he is? :hmmm:
Just wondering since we all watch Cleveland Brown games! :hmmm:

Verba isn't as good as he thinks but he was a pretty good LT on a mediocre Browns O-Line.It would have done the Browns a lot of good having him and Shelton battle for the LT position out and the loser be the backup at both OT positions.Verba could have been the RG possibly too. Unfortunately,Verba was trying to use a promise made by the old regime to get more money on an already fair market value price for his services.Savage and RAC weren't going to have any part of it. So the Browns get nothing for him as far as trade value,get the bonus money back and lose at least a good starter and very solid depth. Verba is more dependable at LT than Shelton because of his work ethic and is probally on par skills wise. Verba's mouth burned his bridges in Cleveland. A key footnote in this: Former coach and general manager Butch Davis promised that he would take care of Verba when Verba renegotiated his contract a year ago when he was coming off a ruptured biceps tendon.

With his health uncertain, the Browns didn't want to pay Verba the $4.6 million he was due in the final year of his deal. Verba was offered a $2.75 million signing bonus and two additional years were tacked on.

Davis resigned in late November. Browns general manager Phil Savage does not intend to honor promises of the previous regime.

Verba is only a stopgap and teams should only view him in a 1 to 3 year window. What deal would be fair? He's not worth what he's asking and he'll see that in this market.He wants more than 2.9 million yearly when realistically that should be the max he receives. Someone might be willing to overpay for him.
I'm no capologist so
IMHO i'd sign him for one year because of age and go from there.

A compromise will probally have to be reached between his agent and a team in order for him to get in on training camp with a new team. Something like

2005- 1.5 MM+1 MM SB
2006-2.5 MM+1MM SB
2007-3 MM+1MM SB
or something like that.

No way would some team pay 5 years 30 million deal for a 32 year old LT that wasn't a sure fire top 10 NFL LT. In the AFC North Jonathan Ogden,Levi Jones and Marvel Smith were better so that top 3 LT talk he had is just BS.

I know it won't be anything close to Jonas Jennings money,$36.5 million over seven years, which included a $12 million signing bonus. Verba has been reading to much into superstars holding out.

Nawzer
06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
No way is Verba getting money close to what Walter Jones or Orlando Pace are getting!

DRIFTAWAY
06-10-2005, 02:54 PM
if we do sign Verba, sure let's make it 35 million but with incentives. He wants the money, he gotta earn it. Make it a 2-3 yr contract with a team option for the 3/4th yr. And a low signing bonus

Porky
06-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't want that cancer in the Texans locker room, at nearly any price. Talk about a me first attitude. And, he makes Bill Clinton seem modest. He is apparently suffering from delisions of grandeur. This guy actually thinks he is an elite tackle. Lmao. :pigfly:

Davis37
06-10-2005, 05:45 PM
I wonder if Verba's agent and the Texans have something lined up. I wouldnt mind signing him, but not for 35 million bucks.

ArlingtonTexan
06-11-2005, 11:38 AM
In a radio segment, ESPN's "insider" John Clayton is claiming that the TExans are the leading contenders for Verba.

He did say that Verba will have to come down drastically on contract demands for the deal to get done.

A Texan
06-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I fail to understand all the hysteria about the offensive line in general and LT in particular. Last year's problems were predictable. Any time you have a lot of new starters and position changes and on top of that you ask your OL to learn a new blocking scheme, it's going to take awhile. They should be better this year barring injuries. Wand was being asked to step in in only his 2nd year out of a small college and after having been asked to also learn the TE position in his 1st year. Continuity is what they need now.

ATX
06-11-2005, 01:40 PM
I'll take or else. i hear he's got a lot more upside than verba.

beerlover
06-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Can't blame a MAN for taking care of his buisness, before siging with the Browns he was probably promised certain things which never transpired. I for one would like the Texans to sign him to a fair market value contract with incentives to earn what he feels resonable for him to become a Texan. He has good pedigree, valuable experience and character wise better than Shelton. If the Texans sign him they would be MUCH IMPROVED at least in terms of depth across the board, allow younger prospects to develop & give Carr the protection he needs to survive in this league to be successful.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/image/2000/mini2/verba428.jpg

ArlingtonTexan
06-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Verba maybe a hardworker on the field and solid NFL, player, but his if "character" is important to you then see the links I posted earlier in this thread around post 45-50. While he was not accussed in either situation, but both did occur at his house.

TexanExile
06-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Tough situation. I've been one of the people begging the Texans to do something about the LT crisis, but this guy, in that price range, strikes me as the wrong answer. If he wants to swallow the ego and be reasonable, bring him on board. If he wants to act like a tool and live in a dreamworld about his worth at this point in his career--especially to a team that spent much of its offseason bouncing its older talent out the door--no way.

Lucky
06-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Verba maybe a hardworker on the field and solid NFL, player, but his if "character" is important to you then see the links I posted earlier in this thread around post 45-50. While he was not accussed in either situation, but both did occur at his house.
Either way, I can't blame the guy for wanting to get out of Cleveland. With the Browns heading into another rebuilding phase & these incidents swirling around him, maybe creating a stink over his contract was the best way to make that happen. This could be more about getting out of Dodge than getting a big fat contract. We'll see.

cadahnic
06-11-2005, 03:23 PM
I like the idea of having a consumate pro like Verba on the team, and his character flaws are not that bad trust me his years in GB were nice. At the price of 35 Million though is to much to pay for a 31 year old LT. Especially since we have 4 good ones coming into the draft next year. It would be best if we left our line alone other than moving Pitts back to LT and Wand inside.

Vinny
06-11-2005, 04:22 PM
If we can get the money right, Verba gives us a starter caliber player and improves our line depth. He isn't the long term answer at LT anymore than Wand or Pitts is though.

F-minus67
06-11-2005, 04:34 PM
I found this on nflfans.com

AP reports OT Ross Verba, 31, is the top offensive tackle on the open market and is free to sign with anyone. He said his agent, Tom Condon, told him that 10 teams have already called to express interest. He wouldn't reveal which ones, but did name a few he'd like to play for. "I'm interested mostly in the teams that need tackles," he said. "I'd like to play for San Diego, Houston, Buffalo, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, someone like that." He said he'll start making visits next week. But those with little cash to spare need not apply. "I'm telling teams, 'If you're not willing to give me a big multiyear contract, don't even bring me in," he said. How big? "$35 million," said Verba. "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

Sounds like he wants an excuse to retire.

Vinny
06-11-2005, 04:38 PM
That's all posture. He want's a contract or he wouldn't have given back half a million to the Browns.

THEFUTURE
06-11-2005, 04:40 PM
so we know what he wants in money, what about years? is it along the lines of 7 years 35, or like 35 for 3 or 4 years

cuz 35 for 4 years is kinda silly

Vinny
06-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Years doesn't matter as much as signing bonus. You can sign him for a decade if you want but if you don't give him a big guarantee it won't hurt you. $35 Mill contract with a small bonus is not a bad deal since the contracts are not guaranteed, only the bonus.

wags
06-11-2005, 04:42 PM
"I'd like to play for San Diego, Houston, Buffalo, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, someone like that."

How is San Francisco even on his radar? They signed Jennings and have Kwame Harris(1st rounder) at RT. :confused:

Vinny
06-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Harris has been a huge bust so far.

wags
06-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Harris has been a huge bust so far.

Only at left tackle though, correct?

THEFUTURE
06-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Harris is being moved over to RT, which the niner think is his natural position

Vinny
06-11-2005, 04:49 PM
He only started 7 games last year and was inactive most of the year his rookie season. His career path has been much like Wand's except for the fact that everyone expected Wand to take 3 years to reach his potential. I think most people expected Brown to be a quality starter by year 2.

THEFUTURE
06-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Years doesn't matter as much as signing bonus. You can sign him for a decade if you want but if you don't give him a big guarantee it won't hurt you. $35 Mill contract with a small bonus is not a bad deal since the contracts are not guaranteed, only the bonus.
yeah i know but if he is looking for 35 with shorter years, he will still count more against our cap because the numbers will be bigger...less years means bigger numbers if the money number stays at 35 mil is what im trying to say... so if he only wanted say 3 or 4 years, would we rather look at giving him around 20 with bonuses and incentives?

F-minus67
06-11-2005, 04:52 PM
nfl.com has an artical aboput the texans looking at Verba

Texans eyeing Verba (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8552086)

Vinny
06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
You won't see a large bonus and short terms. The reason you see such massive terms (years) on some contracts is only to spread out the cap hit of the signing bonuses. Teams do not expect some of their players to reach the ends of their deals. If the bonus is small, the term will be small. If the bonus is larger, expect to see some empty years at the end.

wags
06-11-2005, 04:58 PM

That's a good report, especially the part about Thomas Davis. :whoohoo:

:offtopic

astrofan
06-11-2005, 05:02 PM
What OLman would you have taken in the 3rd round of the 2005 draft?...

(I assume you're criticizing the drafting of... Morency)

Well I am not critizing the Morency(73) pick.... but this year I would have rather drafted E Mathis(79), Snyder(94), Kaczur(100), Buenning(107) or Gandy(129) in the third (or am I too dim to recognize a rhetorical question)

All of these kids would have a good shot of starting by the end of the year if not by Week One.

By the way... where are all the Elton Brown fans hiding?

I think better rambles/rants would be 'would Mankins(32), Baas(33), Roos(41), or Terry(64) help our team/record as much as a backup DLineman(16)?' or 'Loper(150) vs J Mathis(114): compare and contrast'

Off Topic: Thank the Heavens we didn't draft Pollack! What a mollycoddle!

TexanFan881
06-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Honestly, I don't care who we get or how much money we give them as long as we can improve our O-Line. As many have said, if we want to step into the playoffs then we need to improve our line, and I would be willing to pay as much money as it takes to get into the playoffs this year.

wiley2002
06-11-2005, 11:02 PM
If the Texans are to sign Verba, would that put a dent in the team's salary cap?

jacquescas
06-11-2005, 11:50 PM
I would give Verba a deal that wouldn't hurt us too bad if we end up cutting him before next season. I can see a 1 or 2 year window where he would play nothing more than that.

texanfan2002114
06-11-2005, 11:53 PM
If the Texans are to sign Verba, would that put a dent in the team's salary cap?

Not even close. The Texans have over $7 million left in the cap this year.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

TexanFan881
06-11-2005, 11:58 PM
The Texans have over $7 million left in the cap this year.

That is exactly why I would give him a two or three year contract for the amount of money he is asking for. We will have a new tackle and hopefully we won't have to worry about the line so much.

texanfan2002114
06-12-2005, 12:01 AM
That is exactly why I would give him a two or three year contract for the amount of money he is asking for. We will have a new tackle and hopefully we won't have to worry about the line so much.

I agree with you!!

TexansNeedRBin05
06-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Why dont we go get Henry and get areself a Running Game! :highfive:

texanfan2002114
06-12-2005, 12:20 AM

You need a line 1st then you can have a running game. Also I'll take DD and the rest of the Texans RB crew before I'll take Travis Henry. :highfive:

TexanFan881
06-12-2005, 12:23 AM

We won't get Henry because we don't need him. We don't need a backup running back behind Davis, we're set there. The only thing we need changed badly before the season starts is the O-line.

TexansNeedRBin05
06-12-2005, 12:40 AM
We won't get Henry because we don't need him. We don't need a backup running back behind Davis, we're set there. The only thing we need changed badly before the season starts is the O-line.

Dang were gonna have a crappy Running Game then. PLEASE SAVE US MORCEY!
:homer:

ColdSteelBlue
06-12-2005, 02:58 AM
Dang were gonna have a crappy Running Game then. PLEASE SAVE US MORCEY!
:homer:
Last time I checked the roster, we didn't have a RB named "Morcey". :embarrass

Hottoddie
06-12-2005, 02:59 AM

The Texans and Verba's representative spoke June 10, and the two have a mutual interest in the other.

Well, it would appear that negotiations have begun.

By the way, for everyone that is standing up for Wand, it's painfully obvious that the Texans don't feel he's ready to man the most critical OL position (LT). It doesn't mean that he'll never be able to handle it. It just means he's not ready now. As Vinny said, he's projected to take about 3 years before he's ready to step in. Just be patient. Your time to gloat will come soon enough. :highfive:

dalemurphy
06-12-2005, 04:37 AM
The Texans and Verba's representative spoke June 10, and the two have a mutual interest in the other.

Well, it would appear that negotiations have begun.

By the way, for everyone that is standing up for Wand, it's painfully obvious that the Texans don't feel he's ready to man the most critical OL position (LT). It doesn't mean that he'll never be able to handle it. It just means he's not ready now. As Vinny said, he's projected to take about 3 years before he's ready to step in. Just be patient. Your time to gloat will come soon enough. :highfive:

Don't be so sure that Verba would be penciled in at LT. One of the his strenghts is that he can play G or T. Perhaps some of the Pitts supporters are the ones who will need patience. Then again, Weigert will be cut next year almost surely- so a move here may have more to do with that.

beerlover
06-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Don't be so sure that Verba would be penciled in at LT. One of the his strenghts is that he can play G or T. Perhaps some of the Pitts supporters are the ones who will need patience. Then again, Weigert will be cut next year almost surely- so a move here may have more to do with that.

thankyou dalemurphy some sanity in the jungle, I agree whole heartedly. Wand is gonna be fine in due time, Pitts was killing him (my opinion) in pass protection put Verba at LG next to Wand and we'll see some improvement. relocate Pitts to RG next to Wade and the running game will improve as well :highfive:

ArlingtonTexan
06-12-2005, 09:23 AM

The biggest problem with this logic is that Verba shas stated that he is going to a team that has a need at tackle. why would we bring a guy in that is not shy about speaking his mind and then all of a sudden switch him away from the position he wants to play.

In fact, i think Verba is a better guard, but at least for year one, he is going to line up a tackle, assuming that he signed.

dalemurphy
06-12-2005, 09:51 AM
The biggest problem with this logic is that Verba shas stated that he is going to a team that has a need at tackle. why would we bring a guy in that is not shy about speaking his mind and then all of a sudden switch him away from the position he wants to play.

In fact, i think Verba is a better guard, but at least for year one, he is going to line up a tackle, assuming that he signed.

Well, Verba is asking for $37 million also and I'm pretty sure he's not getting it. THe fact that we're talking to him doesn't mean that we're going to agree to his every demand. I'm sure the team will say that he'll have the opportunity to compete for any position on the OLine but they'll be starting the best 5 in the positions that make most sense for the health of the team.

ArlingtonTexan
06-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Well, Verba is asking for $37 million also and I'm pretty sure he's not getting it. THe fact that we're talking to him doesn't mean that we're going to agree to his every demand. I'm sure the team will say that he'll have the opportunity to compete for any position on the OLine but they'll be starting the best 5 in the positions that make most sense for the health of the team.

You are almost swinging to the side of Verba can't get anything that he wants. I don't think that Verba takes a deal that does not assume that he will get a crack at tackle first. IMO, it would not actually make any sense to sign Verba to play any other position, but LT (at least for 2005). If I were the Texans, I would not be talking to the guy unless i expected him to start for me at LT.

dalemurphy
06-12-2005, 10:32 AM
You are almost swinging to the side of Verba can't get anything that he wants. I don't think that Verba takes a deal that does not assume that he will get a crack at tackle first. IMO, it would not actually make any sense to sign Verba to play any other position, but LT (at least for 2005). If I were the Texans, I would not be talking to the guy unless i expected him to start for me at LT.

If those are the parameters then I don't want him. We didn't go after Shelton with big money. I think that if we see Verba as only filling a tackle position then it wouldn't make sense to offer him much money either.

Scottyboy
06-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Talking w/ a close inside friend in the head office - "Verba is 95% finshied completing a deal with US" Belive it or not, this is a good thing, trust me I think we will see more rushing yards from all three HB's, and Carr's passer rating around 95. Everyone has issues, Sharper was more of a cancer then this guy will ever be!!! :cool:

Porky
06-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Talking w/ a close inside friend in the head office - "Verba is 95% finshied completing a deal with US" Belive it or not, this is a good thing, trust me I think we will see more rushing yards from all three HB's, and Carr's passer rating around 95. Everyone has issues, Sharper was more of a cancer then this guy will ever be!!! :cool:

If this is true, then I will support it....but I am wary of this guy in a big way. I also want to see the numbers. I hope we don't overpay him. He is average...which granted, is an improvement over last year. He may actually be a better guard, but like Arlington stated, if he comes here, it is to start at LT while they develop a young replacement. That could be Wand, but I still think we draft a LT in round one next year. Verba holds down the spot for 2 years, and then they release his sorry butt, and the new guy takes over. They need to structure the deal with as much upfront money as possible imo. I do think he is probably better than Shelton. The big red flag on Shelton is the guy came in overweight, when he should be trying to impress teams. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

jacquescas
06-12-2005, 12:51 PM
I like the versatlity of Verba i just dont like a 35 million dollar deal. at this point i'd give him most of whats left on this years cap in salary(not including rookie portion) give him a decent bonus. basically front load it for 1 year cause i doubt we are going to make any other moves. then if he is somewhat affordable for the next 3 years we can slide him where we need him along the line

edo783
06-12-2005, 02:46 PM
I think you might have that a bit backwards. I think you want to hold the bonus down and the salary up. The bonus is garanteed, so it would be prorated acrosse the contract. It would then count in the other years even when he is cut. The salary is only for the year it is earned in. Sooo, if we did something like: (not saying this is what to do)

3 year contract
1 mill bonus
3 mill a year + incentives to get him a 8 mill number.

That way if we cut him his contract only counts 333K in the out years. You could literaly make the salary be anything in out years and it would not affect cap if cut, but the bonus does. That is how I understand it to work anyway.

Vinny
06-12-2005, 02:55 PM
If the Texans sign him, don't expect a one mil bonus. He will get quite a bit more than that.

Paragon Blue
06-12-2005, 03:00 PM
If Verba is signed what does that mean to the rest of the starting OL?

Lucky
06-12-2005, 03:01 PM
...You could literaly make the salary be anything in out years and it would not affect cap if cut, but the bonus does. That is how I understand it to work anyway.
That's exactly how it works. As long as the salaries aren't guaranteed, which is very rare in the NFL.

jacquescas
06-12-2005, 05:08 PM
ya but i mean if verba is gonna agree to such a deal he would have just stayed with the browns.

he wants to get paid. giving him around 5 million upfront from 1st year salary and bonus might be enough to lure him here and it wont affect our future cap to much if alot of it is in salary.

tiger06
06-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Is this guy one of the better LTs in the NFL? Would he be an immediate upgrade to our line? I don't want to give this guy a huge contract if he's not much better than Wand. I think continuity with our o-line would be better.

edo783
06-12-2005, 06:17 PM
ya but i mean if verba is gonna agree to such a deal he would have just stayed with the browns.

he wants to get paid. giving him around 5 million upfront from 1st year salary and bonus might be enough to lure him here and it wont affect our future cap to much if alot of it is in salary.

That is pretty much what I was getting at. Like Vinny says a one mill bonus won't get it done (never expected that it would), but if we can keep it low and bump up the salary that would be best. Makes it look like he is geting close to the 35 mill he wants to let him save face, but most of it being salary over say a 5 year deal. I am pretty sure I am not really all that interested in him, but if we do it, I hope we make the deal cap friendly as I doubt he would be here more than 2-3 years at most.

keyfro
06-12-2005, 06:52 PM
i just don't think he's worth that much...it's silly...if it's all about the money to him do we really want him here protecting our franchise's blind side?

ArlingtonTexan
06-12-2005, 07:00 PM
i just don't think he's worth that much...it's silly...if it's all about the money to him do we really want him here protecting our franchise's blind side?

My only defense for Verba here is that despite the way he handled the off season and he is not considered a nice guy, there has been no question as to Verba's intensity and dedication on the field.

TEXANS84
06-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Ross Verba's stats:

LINK (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=3920&Submit=Go)

edo783
06-12-2005, 08:51 PM
i just don't think he's worth that much...it's silly

I don't think ANYONE (except Verba) thinks he is worth that sort of money, but that is the whole idea behind structuring the deal with a high salary. Looks good, but has no real meaning unless we keep him. Don't like him, just cut him and no cap hit for the salary. His stats aren't to bad though. Could we afford to have a guy who has proven to be a devisive type in the locker room? I would rather pass on him, but who knows.

Signing bonus is a cap hit, but does anyone know how a roster bonus affects cap? I THINK it is only for the year earned, but not certain about it.

TexanFan881
06-12-2005, 10:10 PM

And Sharper was a great player for us. Also, I definately hope this is true because we definately need him on our team with our O-lineman. If we get Verba and he plays LT that would make this offseason for me from a little improvement to a lot of improvement. Left tackle is the last piece of the puzzle, I believe, and if we could complete the puzzle I think we have a lot better of a chance to be in the playoffs.

Texans Pride
06-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Everyone has issues, Sharper was more of a cancer then this guy will ever be!!!

Could you please give an example of how Sharper was a "cancer" on this team?

And before you bring it up, let me go ahead and say that his comments in the locker room after a loss where he said, "someone needs to show us the way on this team," doesn't classify as a "cancer". It was out of line to say in the newspapers, but I do not feel that classifies someone of a "cancer" on his team.

He played his butt off for us while he was here, and was an important part of this defense. I don't like some of the things he has recently said, but it no way is he a "cancer".

awtysst
06-12-2005, 11:46 PM
I don't think ANYONE (except Verba) thinks he is worth that sort of money, but that is the whole idea behind structuring the deal with a high salary. Looks good, but has no real meaning unless we keep him. Don't like him, just cut him and no cap hit for the salary. His stats aren't to bad though. Could we afford to have a guy who has proven to be a devisive type in the locker room? I would rather pass on him, but who knows.

Signing bonus is a cap hit, but does anyone know how a roster bonus affects cap? I THINK it is only for the year earned, but not certain about it.

I think thats the key, we need to sign him to a backloaded contract. We can then get a LT in tnext year's draft and keep this guy along to tutor the new LT. Then ask him to restructure or cut him. No guaranteed contracts can be a good thing for fans.

beerlover
06-13-2005, 01:06 AM
I think thats the key, we need to sign him to a backloaded contract. We can then get a LT in tnext year's draft and keep this guy along to tutor the new LT. Then ask him to restructure or cut him. No guaranteed contracts can be a good thing for fans.

Wand is the Texans LT until proven otherwise. Verba would bring depth and stability to the OL and competition for the starting nod, otherwise he would be slotted into the LG in place of Pitts and Pitts would be in competition to win the RG from Weigert or as a back-up to multiple positions. last I heard that would mean the Texans have arrived both talent wise and depth wise.

Bottom line, ownership promised action to protect David Carr and keep him from continually getting killed, this may be the last ticket on a one way trip down Relient stadium :ouch:

ColdSteelBlue
06-13-2005, 02:08 AM
If they think he can help, I don't give a rat's rear end what they pay him.

Carr having good time to throw= wins

Big B Texan Fan
06-13-2005, 02:58 AM
We're not gonna take 'em. Next years draft is supposed to be OT heavy (no pun intended). There is probably gonna be 4-5 of 'em taken picks 5-40. With the Texans installing more timing routes and supposedly having several plays with Andre in motion/slot, the Texans will probably take their chances with what they've got. Also continuity will help as well as these play together longer they'll improve some...."some". Their thinking on last year is that 2 games got away from them late, Minn & GB, and they had no business losing to Clev and even Det. That turns there record into 10-6 / 11-5 and puts them in the playoffs. Yea yea I know wishful thinking but that is what they're probably thinking and for that....NO Verba...which is fine with me. Heck, The Pats won it 2 years ago with out a bonafide RB, the Rams did it with a back up QB, and the Ravens did it with defense. We cannot have studs @ every position or for that fact even halfway decent players @ every position. We must play to our strengths and hope thats better than our opponent playing to our weakness. I'm still concerned though. texanpride

pek281
06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Very good read, this post. Our fans are very informative. We've analyzed our most inportant need from every single angle.

I agree with a good portion of this thread is that... I'm wary of change on our O-Line. I think we should stand pat. An O-Line is NOT about plugging a new guy into the line-up and expecting a one, or even two year, miraculous change. An O-Line is about gelling together. It was mentioned way early in this post (I wish I could remember who should get this credit) that it takes a good THREE years together to gel.

Someone help me out here when it was, but I remember a good five, six years ago... the Washington Redskins went out and BOUGHT a whole offensive line... they spent HUGE money on free agents... they bought a stellar O-Line that was gonna finally be key. What happened? Well, it turns out that an O-Line needs to gel together. You can't just plug guys into an O-Line and expect immediate results.

Verba? Let's pass and stay-put on our GUYS. Come on people... they are OUR guys. Give 'em another year.

titan hater
06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Very good read, this post. Our fans are very informative. We've analyzed our most inportant need from every single angle.

I agree with a good portion of this thread is that... I'm wary of change on our O-Line. I think we should stand pat. An O-Line is NOT about plugging a new guy into the line-up and expecting a one, or even two year, miraculous change. An O-Line is about gelling together. It was mentioned way early in this post (I wish I could remember who should get this credit) that it takes a good THREE years together to gel.

Someone help me out here when it was, but I remember a good five, six years ago... the Washington Redskins went out and BOUGHT a whole offensive line... they spent HUGE money on free agents... they bought a stellar O-Line that was gonna finally be key. What happened? Well, it turns out that an O-Line needs to gel together. You can't just plug guys into an O-Line and expect immediate results.

Verba? Let's pass and stay-put on our GUYS. Come on people... they are OUR guys. Give 'em another year.

I'll give em another year...Of Course, IM not DC, who has been sacked more times than an Idaho potato. Go ahead give them 1 more year, and then another, and another...Before you know it DC will have signed with a team that cares about his safety, or be on the Cody Carlson's PUPL. I agree it takes time to develpe an O-Line...But 3 years is long enough!! It's time to put up or shut up, its time for what ever stupid cliché they can think of...

I want to see a winner now!!! Not two years from now, but NOW!!! DAMN IT!!!!

twinkletwinkle
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Yeah what is this little league. "C'mon guys....sniffle..sniffle...they need time to gel." Whatever, they need to get'er done. These guys are grown up professional athletes. Simply stated if you need time to gel, NFL europe is the place to be.

titan hater
06-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Winning is what it is all about!! Gelling for 1 year is cool...But 3? Come on...If they don't protect DC better we are gonna have Dave Ragone starting soon...He was good in Deutschland...in front of 25 to 30K. Reliant holds what, 70...75K...I pay a hell of a lot of money to see them play on Sunday...I expect them to win...Not put a second rate o-Line on the field...

Davis37
06-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Im not excited about our OL, but CC has done what he can by going after Pace. He could have thrown alot of money at Shelton, but hes not that much of an upgrade over what we have. I would like to snag Verba, but for 35 mil, thats just stupidity. I hope our line does better this year with the players we have. Im just glad we didnt pay a huge amount of money to bring in a FA that isnt a great improvement over what we have.

ColdSteelBlue
06-14-2005, 12:05 AM

Very interesting. Esp. since Charlie P. (ESPN 790) mentioned that the Texans have not even met w/ Verba yet.

:fib :hmmm:

bigtex77
06-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah what is this little league. "C'mon guys....sniffle..sniffle...they need time to gel." Whatever, they need to get'er done. These guys are grown up professional athletes. Simply stated if you need time to gel, NFL europe is the place to be.

Oh yeah, the great lines from Dallas (90's), Denver (4 different 1000 yard rushers), and all the others took no time to gel, yeah right!

bigtex77
06-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Winning is what it is all about!! Gelling for 1 year is cool...But 3?

They haven't had the same line for all three years.

TheGus
06-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Acoording to nfl.com

After spending the offseason searching for a left tackle to protect David Carr's blindside, the Houston Texans are now zeroing in on former Cleveland left tackle Ross Verba. The Texans and Verba's representative spoke June 10, and the two have a mutual interest in the other.

The Texans would love to add the top available left tackle, and Verba wants to cash in. He is now seeking a $35 million deal after returning a $465,000 bonus check to the Browns this week to let himself out of the contract he had with them. The 31-year-old Verba insists that if he doesn't get the money he wants, he'll walk away from the game.

But first the Texans will try to sway him to Houston. And while the Texans are interested in Verba, they are not interested in running back Travis Henry, as some have speculated.

YodAa
06-14-2005, 12:59 AM
Score! Were checkin out another LT and not thinking bout replacing DD

Big B Texan Fan
06-14-2005, 04:05 AM
They haven't had the same line for all three years.
This would be year #2 though. Squeeze into the playoffs this time around and next year will be year #3 and then look out. That particular year and the 2-3 after could filled with playoff appearances. That's 5-6 years of playoff football in H-Town. We do need to start thinking of plans to replace McKinney and Weigart in the not so distant future. Maybe some of the guys we've got already could do th trick. M. Brown, T. Washington, F. Weary.,D. Hodgdgen, and B. Evans.

The Preacher
06-14-2005, 09:00 AM
35 mil seems way too pricey. what about 25 mil or a wade type contract? would guarantee more stability and good depth. i like the idea of letting wand develop but having verba would allow for more line changes without carr losing confidence. same age as pace half the salary makes the oline way less of a gamble. if we have the cap room it would make a statement the texans are a team built to win now.

Big B Texan Fan
06-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Just noticed something. Verba missed out on the whole season 2 seasons ago. The season after an injury season is always a bit wishy washy. So if the team (Clev) said he'd lost a step or isn't the same anymore, it could be a little pre-mature. Not to mention that the Browns have been one of the worst teams since 2000 (minus their 9-7 playoff berth) and I do not beleive it had anything to do with him. This might be what he needs, a solid coaching staff.-------------- :hmmm: Also don't forget, Chris Palmer caoched him for 2 years and I'm sure if there were any doubts on him he'd speak up. I still say pass on 'em cuz he ain't cheap but if we do pick 'em up we could be very happy fans after we go to SF the last game of the season and pound the 49er's to go 10-6 on the season and get in the playoffs as a Wildcard squezzing out the jags and their 10-6 record cuz we swept them during the reg. season. The team would carry Verba off the field on their shoulders. He'd get a key to the city, free lap dances all over town, Pitts and Wand would set up Verba Shrines in their houses and pray to O-Line Gods that they can one day be like the almighty Verba. ----------- When does the season start again, I'm bored.

CowboysTexansFan
06-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Here is an article posted today on Pro Football Weekly's site. I like the way Reynolds, in response to the first question, refers to our "incompetent offensive line." In my view, the O-line is without question one of the team's weakest links, if not THE weakest link. I'm not sure too much can be done for this upcoming season, but hopefully the team will find some players in the next draft worthy of premium picks.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2005/spins061405.htm

Texans target OT Verba

ProFootballWeekly.com asks associate editor Jeff Reynolds for his thoughts on the hottest topics in the NFL.

Texans look to Verba to solve problems at tackle

Since selecting OLT Tony Boselli with the first pick in the franchise’s expansion draft, and struggling through Boselli’s injury-shortened tenure with the team, the Texans have been unable to fill the void at left tackle. Some scouts believe the unfortified offensive line, and in particular the weakness at left tackle, has stunted the growth of former No. 1 overall pick David Carr and the Houston offense. The Texans are considering moving C Seth McKinney to guard, which would precipitate Chester Pitts returning to left tackle. First, they will consider signing recently released Browns OLT Ross Verba.

PFW: In the short term, what is the best move for the Texans to make?

Reynolds: Carr has been sacked 140 times in three seasons, and his professional longevity depends almost fully on how Houston addresses its incompetent offensive line. The OLT position remains a question mark, but not for a lack of trying on the part of general manager Charley Casserly. Casserly attempted to lure Rams franchise player Orlando Pace in March, but Pace quickly signed a record deal to remain in St. Louis.

Pitts (6-4, 329) played left tackle in 2002 and ’03 (Pitts allowed 15½ sacks in ’02, 5¾ in ’03) and was unspectacular, proving to be a better fit on the right side. Seth Wand still is a project entering his third season. At 6-7, 330, Wand looks the part, but the light has yet to come on. Victor Riley, a right tackle with Kansas City and New Orleans, allows Pitts to slide to the left side. Verba, a former Packers product with an injury history, can play all four outside positions on the line. He’s feisty and tenacious and would add a needed edge to the Texans’ front. That said, Verba would be a better asset in the running game than as a pass blocker, which doesn’t solve the prevailing issue of protecting Carr. At this point, however, it would be easy to endorse Casserly adding another capable part, building depth and making his front five as solid as possible without going young.